[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/trv/ - Travel

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

I'm getting shipped to yokota airbase in tokyo and I know next to nothing about japan so help me out bros
how racist is tokyo? I know the japanese are xenophobic but how bad is it in tokyo? (I'm white idk if that helps my case or not)
how difficult is it getting around with just english?
whats the best option for transportation around tokyo?
>>
File: the Dogfather.webm (1.82 MB, 576x720)
1.82 MB
1.82 MB WEBM
>>2147752
>I'm white
You're fine. The 'anti american' leaflets and banners at restaurants and bars are meant for BLACK people, not white sailors. But my dad says that military blacks stationed in Japan are the most chill people and that the military makes everyone the same.
If you have red or blond hair you get extra points- also, if you are genuinely attractive obviously.
Trains are supposedly the best for getting around urban japan and there are many instructions in english
>>
>>2147758
>If you have red or blond hair you get extra points- also, if you are genuinely attractive obviously.
ok im stupid when it comes to japan and asia as a whole so explain. do you mean like when it comes to japanese women they like blondes and redheads?
>>
>>2147752
“Her” underwear looks uncomfortable. OP will no doubt be a frequent customer of Club Diamond.
>>
>>2147762
Yes, you are stupid
>>
>>2147764
>Club Diamond.
>>
>>2147752
>how racist is tokyo? I know the japanese are xenophobic but how bad is it in tokyo? (I'm white idk if that helps my case or not)

Lol, nobody gives a shit, Tokyo is a large international metropolis. Yokota is technically Tokyo but it's on the edge. You'll still be about an hour from Shinjuku.

>how difficult is it getting around with just english?

It's literally how 50% of the Tokyo expats get around. Some things are going to inaccessible with only English, but for day to day shit you'll have no problems

>whats the best option for transportation around tokyo?

You'll need a car if you can get one for local travel since Yokota is essentially a suburb of Tokyo proper, but public transportation is generally the superior mode of transportation for most things.

>>2147758
The anti-US shit only really exists around Okinawa.
>>
>>2147762
If an Asian is interested in white people, it's better for them to have blonde or red hair, since it's so different & interesting from what they normally see. If you have black or brown hair, you might as well be another Asian to them.
>>
The Japanese will hate you but you aren’t smart enough to notice it. Unlike blacks, who they hate and make sure they notice it. Use trains. All announcements are repeated in English. No cars in Tokyo. Too much trouble. Download Duolingo and in a month or two (probably four for you because you are dumb) you’ll know enough to fumble through day to day stuff in Japanese.
>>
Also, any Japanese woman who will date you is the Japanese equivalent of the two fat white trash women fighting over Tyrone on Maury.
>>
>>2147814
Objectively incorrect. Asians actually have white people primarily in their dating pools, unlike how whites/asians primarily exclude blacks from their dating pools. It is the minority of whites that are open to date blacks (by an enormous margin) but by an almost as large margin the majority of asians are open to dating whites.
>>
>>2147758
This, I don't like black people but I have black friends and they all served in the military and were in JP.

But 100% agree going out with black people is a headache in JP. You should also pick up some japanese, or atleast sumimasen your way out of stuff, and if realy serious, domo sumimasen and bow. 99% of military fags don't know how to add the domo to make it more formal.

I picked up kana, meaning hiragana and katakana in 2 weeks in JP, seeing it everywhere and tryign to read the train station signs were best.

I would try my best to get the tourist JR/metro pass, but you probably wouldn't qualify, sometimes they don't ask for passport, but I'm not sure if they stamp you or not for military. I had success buying before at bicameras for the tokto metro pass, and even buying the kids one, but be aware the kids tokyo metro pass chirps when you use it so jpretend you don't notice and pass along. *I* never got caught using it, but I've seen other fag weeb faggots get stopped.

>>2147803
They care, Tokyolites 99% of the time will not include you in stuff, but if you have charisma, build trust and make plans a week in advance, you'd hardly be declined. Most americans are used to spontenous plan making - not the japs, you need to really schedule "fun time" - I'd hate to say it but the first week or two in roppongi would probably be beneficial as babbby first word and then you can maybe tackle Ginza or Ebisu for better girls - especially solo, I wouldj't bring your gi fags along since thye'd want to drink and will soldify your gaijin bubble.

Oh yeah the gaijin bubble, use it and then burst when ready. Seriously, learn the japanese, the word opens, even if you speak retarded as fuck, knowing watashi, boku, anata (pronouns) and then fucking dropping them so you can go ホテル行こう? works 100%. That's hotel, let's go? oh and は can also be わ lols.

>>2147803
even anti us shit in okinwana is little as fuck, don't trust the news much.
>>
>>2147899
oh yeah, don't make friends with english teachers, they're all losers. Corporate / black company gaijins are okay, they're there for 3-5 years. The british expats are pretty fun and nice, great memories with them but we were all the same age, mid 20's. I was there for tech, from USA.

I made a few military friends, but really from corporate employee, military world and english teacher scum worlds are far apart. I had English teachers try to steal girls from me sitting in fucking hachiko area and I wish I punched him in the face. Wouldn't take no.

meetup is kinda alive, and that's fun for langauge exchange, but I'd probably say you're there for work and make up a company and scuh, I also think MCJ is pretty strict for lots of things too.

>>2147813
duolingo is shit, and having a car in tokyo is amazing, I had a prius and driving to kita-ku and saitama is fucking needed if you want to have some fun at night, or leave at 8pm. Or you want to go to yamanashi? yeah you need a fucking car. Yamanashi is fujisan and aokigahora and other places yyou'll never see tourists at. The places I just ventured too with that prius still don't make influencer/instagram and when I look up the hashtags, it's all japanese locals. :) no im not posting them for you scum, but if you're in USA military, you can bring a car from USA To JP and I'd highly suggest you do, I would say a cool gas saver, because it is about 160JPY/Liter. You don't have to worry about having a parking spot in tokyo, kei cars are exempt from this. A manual is also fine too, I wouldn't suggest a manual for manila/jakarta but in tokyo for outside busy hours it's fantastic and nice to go up and such.

Wrangler would be cool, but v8 would be wasteful and expensive as fuck. There are 4 liters in a gallon, so at 160JPY/L it's about $5/gallon maybe $6.

Oh and LHD/RHD is an issue too, but eh, buying a car in JP is kinda hard for some military fgts, though I do hear financing is easier nowadays.
>>
>>2147752
but for best around tokyo, mamachari, you can buy one for less than 1man, and park it at the station and train around.

getting around w/ just english, pretty painful, you'll be a retard, can't ask what it is, can't ask how much, don't know your number system, no nani, no doko, no ikura, etc. can't even pick up a whore at yushima or shinjuku and ask how much and drink with her.

so yeah learn the basics of the langauge, learn the kana and with kana you can do karaoke and sing anime songs, or good ole songs like SAKURAAAAAAA.

oh and be careful of the variable charging of karaoke rooms, and if you have sex in the room try not to block the camera but do it on the ground and put the karaoke on autoplay for 10-15 songs.

you do not want them ringing the room or such, they know everyone fucks in there but if they catch you it's a larger cost. never happened to me but always heard it from the loser english teachers so it's probably true.
>>
>>2147878
He is objectively correct you dumb retard. 95% of Japanese that you will likely date are going to be foreign hunters that fucked 10 foreigners before you. You are the equivalent of a nigger to them. You have no idea what you (nor he) are talking about and I doubt you ever even went to Japan.
>>
>>2147878
Not Asians, Japanese, specifically, you fucking retard.
>>
>>2147900
This poster is a mongoloid.
>>
>>2147932
honestly that is true in most of Asia.

I was in a group where a friend of mine would litterally look for nudes of girls he fucked throughout Asia, and whenever someone posted a tinder pic of a match he'd very often get a nude of said girl. It all became so infuriating we just stopped talking about sex because this fucker would always just brag about how we were all catching his sloppy seconds.

But in the end you're always someone's sloppy seconds, as he probably was. The only person who should actually care is his fucking wife he's milking for a visa. That dick he's giving her has gone to some nasty ass places, and nasty asses period.

> foreign hunters

there's more to it than this simple "gaijin-hunter" meme however. A lot of japs suck at english and do not want to deal with english speaking people at all. Your pool widens as you learn to speak the local language. Not all of them are doing it for the fetish, a lot are actually out of phase with their traditional and local culture and just want to have a relationship with people who have a different mindset in life. That's why a lot of expats actually end up dating expats (or asians that expatriated at some point in their lives) too, and a lot of asian women seeking to have a relationship with you speak better than average english. Some of them are actually very critical of that and will avoid an actual "hook up" many white/foreigners will propose because they're actually looking for a relationship.

Then you got the desperate uglies/older women too who will fuck a foreigner on sight, and the actual fetishists.

In any case, it's very easy to differentiate them if you're not a virgin with "first asian girlfriend" syndrome.
>>
nice larp, japan is literally the most discussed place on this board, you would know by now this isn't 1960s japan anymore
>>
>>2147944
>befriend expat
>talks to me about his new gf
>I know his gf as she always hangs out at the expat bars
>warn him about her
>doesn't care cause "muh dick"
>one day I see him
>he has bruises
>ask him what happened
>he took his girl out to the club
>apparently she made out with some (I assume better looking) black guy while he was there
>decides to fight him over it
>he is with his friends who all end up beating is his ass
I have more stories but aside from the ass beating I'm sure my friend also got HPV. When will dumb expats learn?
>>
>>2147957
>>befriend expat
>>talks to me about his new gf
>>I know his gf as she always hangs out at the expat bars
>>warn him about her
>>doesn't care cause "muh dick"
>>one day I see him
>>he has bruises
>>ask him what happened
>>he took his girl out to the club
>>apparently she made out with some (I assume better looking) black guy while he was there
>>decides to fight him over it
>>he is with his friends who all end up beating is his ass
>I have more stories but aside from the ass beating I'm sure my friend also got HPV. When will dumb expats learn?

And I know a dude who's been fucking everything around the sun during his short stay in the philippines amidst two visa runs, while his wife was faithfully waiting for his return. Your point being ?

Women have as much trouble differentiating degenerate cheating coomer sexpats from healthy, reasonable folks. What else can I tell you other than "don't be a fucking dumbass and be careful who you're trying to have a relationship with"
>>
>>2147899
>>2147900
This is either LARP posting or you haven't lived in Japan in close to decade
>>
>>2147900
>I made a few military friends, but really from corporate employee, military world and english teacher scum worlds are far apart.
I'm a teacher, became one for the visa while I do my side stuff. I agree that most teachers in Japan (especially the middle ground between the very young kids and the boomer lifers) are kind of ballsy because they're comparing themselves with their colleagues (the ones who don't go out socializing, like the /trvers pre-2019 who visited Japan and never left their hotel rooms).
>I had English teachers try to steal girls from me sitting in fucking hachiko area and I wish I punched him in the face. Wouldn't take no.
Well anon, that's on you. If you get mogged by English teachers you will also get mogged by military types, or really any other kind of ballsy guy. I suspect your anger has grown over time because you dwell on how you didn't stand up for yourself.
>>
>>2147975
If the point you got from my story was "women cheat" then it seemed to have flown over your head.
>>
>>2147752
Japanese girls love white guys. I've dated 3 Japan-born girls. After the war, these ladies dropped their panties for American service men so fast they got rope burns.

Japanese girls are fun and playful and feminine. They're still whores, though. But they're not going to try to turn you into a Salary Man like they do with Japanese men. You'll be outside of the traditional system. As long as you don't play the beta boyfriend, they won't put pressure on you.

Speaking broken Japanese will get you a giggle, but won't score you any points with girls. Their broken English will be better than whatever Japanese you can spit out. And a lot of them are trying to learn English so they're happy to try to speak it. Unlike the French who are too proud.
>>
>>2148021
Yeah well then maybe stop answering in parables while quoting me
>>
>>2147758
>the military makes everyone the same.
If this is true why can't they do that to their population?
>>
>>2148031
3? Those are rookie numbers.
I've probably unironically fucked 200 japs over 6 years. I also secretly recorded many of them with my webcam kek.
>>
>>2147752
Idiota
Baka gaijin
>>
>>2147878
>citing irrelevant académic shit to cope
back to the reddit debate club
>>
>>2147900
>fujisan and aokigahora and other places yyou'll never see tourists at
are you fucking stupid or just pulling shit out of your ass?
>>
>>2148133
It's not like you can station gunnies and NCOs on every street corner. There are social and behavioral shackles that blacks are put in in the military: immediate, non-judicial discipline, the use of physical punishment and a “fast track” to military prison or loss of fortune. These are not found in everyday, civilian life and thus the average pavement ape is more or less completely out of control.
>>
>>2148674
>post data directly relating to the bullshit you tried to pass off
>insecure faggot shifts goalposts
Kek, not even gonna gloat about fucking asian women or anything because I don't have anything against asian dudes, but you need to get your head straight
>>
>>2148831
Not him and actually I don’t agree with him, but he could have retorted that girls on dating apps are not exactly blushing maidens. Dating apps are used a little differently in Asia but all girls on them are still open to getting laid. He also could have said it’s the girls on Western dating apps who are overwhelmingly open to getting laid with some kind of foreigner. There are Japanese language dating apps in Japan and I doubt the same percentage of women on those are open to other ethnicities.
>>
What are the most common dating apps in Japan?
>>
>>2147752
You'll be fine.
I've been living in Tokyo since the start of COVID and outside of finding an apartment to rent I haven't experienced any real problems with racism (the renting one is real tho, it'll cost you significantly more to rent a place than a Japanese, almost guaranteed).

Just try not to be a American faggot who gets offended by "microaggressions" like them talking to you in English instead of Japanese; those people should all be deported.
>>
>>2149529

I’ve been stopped for random passport checks 5 times, once it was 3 policeman waiting for me outside a 7eleven.
>>
>>2149561
Only happened to me once, and only because he thought my moped was >50cc.
Maybe don't hang out in kabukicho and roppongi with the illegals?
>>
>>2147752
Imagine falling for the US military meme. Enjoy getting not to truly enjoy Japan because you're Uncle Sam's slave. Also, enjoy your mandatory curfew. Better hope your contract is short. You're not getting a vacation. Get a normal job and go there on vacation next time.
>>
>>2147878
Real life dating is different from online dating lol. There’s a ton of black and white couple on my campus and in Florida
>>
>>2149561
I am from fucking Mexico and look like it, I've never in ny life gotten carded or randomly checked in Japan. The fuck arw you doing?
>>
Japan's xenophobia/racism is massively exaggerated. Yes there's some xenophobia, but in the several times I've visited the country I've had zero encounters with actual racism, unless you're so fragile you think someone not wanting to sit next to you on the subway is a horrible racist experience. People are usually chill as long as you behave like a normal human being. In case anyone does seem stand-offish this is purely because they don't know the language and don't want to look foolish stumbling over their words, so they just don't try and ignore you. Don't take it personally, some of them are just autistic like that.
If you stick to Tokyo english probably won't be a problem. Trains are the best form of transport there (but try to avoid rush hour cause jesus christ they get stuffed) and in the city pretty much all of the major stations have english signage. That said, I do suggest learning a few basic words, stuff like hello, please, excuse me, thank you etc. It's not much but it'll help in certain situations.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.