[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/trv/ - Travel

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Maximum file size allowed is 8192 KB.
  • Images greater than 10000x10000 pixels are not allowed.
  • There are 51 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: megacities.jpg (655 KB, 1908x1146)
655 KB
655 KB JPG
Which megacity was the best (and the worst) out of those you visited?

By megacity, I mean over 5 million population.
>>
>>2139638
In no particular order, megacities I really like include Mexico City, New York, London, Bangkok, Moscow, and Istanbul. Of those, I would say either Mexico City or Istanbul offers the best visitor/tourist experience, while London, NYC, and Bangkok in that order share a second tier (and were all fun to live in for a while). I liked Moscow, too, but don’t know it well and have been there the fewest times of any on my list (twice for less than a week each, twenty years apart).

The only megacities I haven’t had great experiences in have been Jakarta, Manila, and Beijing. I couldn’t enjoy Beijing because the air quality made me quite seriously ill, but I probably would have liked it had I been able to breathe. Manila is a sprawling, surprisingly dangerous shithole (I was expecting Bangkok and got… maybe Los Angeles including South Central?), and Jakarta was just wrecked for me by traffic. I can imagine that both JKT and MNL have good parts that I totally missed, but I am not in a hurry to return.

I have friends who live in and rave about Shanghai, but I have only passed through, so I dunno.
>>
The best to visit in the summer is Paris, the city itself is more than beautiful, the population is 50% nice 50% garbage

The worst city i visited was tel aviv, everyone is fake and racist towards non jews, it's expensive like NYC or Paris could be but it has nothing to offer in exchange

Bangkok is nice but too westernized, better head to Pattaya and have fun there

NYC is a big mall like Dubai, there is no humanity left there
>>
Tokyo has the least amount of "those people" so ill say number 4.
>>
File: E9drPi1UYAQdO0x.jpg (470 KB, 1044x1568)
470 KB
470 KB JPG
>>2139638
>London
Grey and incredibly depressing. Some nice historical places (and stolen goods from other countries)
>Paris
Much more culture and historical significance, but people are rude and you can feel the rot behind the facade
>New York
Diverse, flashy and exciting - but like a faberge egg; its all glitter on the outside, but a hollow cavity with rotten sludge in the middle
>Tokyo
Pretty and runs like a well organized machine. Like a machine you need to be a cog in the system which will eventually be soul crushing

Not gonna lie; I did like Tokyo the most of this lot, but I cant imagine living there for long.
>>
>>2139682
I liked pretty much all the megacities I've lived in. I've spent at least 3 months in these:
>Tokyo
Lots of diverse areas, every train station had its own little neighborhood and flavor (some bled into each other but still give lots of places to explore without being trapped in suburbia)
>Bangkok
Traffic was awful but a large part of it has good metro lines. Lots of energy in the city. You can get away from all the other foreigners by avoiding certain areas, or go to those areas if you miss them (which won't last long).
>Saigon/HCM
Loved the sprawl of this city. Lots of colonial style architecture, canals, and different neighborhoods. I lived here for a couple of years and they were some of the best of my life.
>Manila
Another anon compared this to dangerous parts of LA and I completely agree. This city reminds me of Latin American sprawls. Easily the most dangerous city I've lived in, no where else have I needed to worry about where I'd be at night or if I could walk through certain areas to get home after dark. But I liked the energy and excitement of the place.
>Hong Kong
Does this count as a megacity? It's got a big population but it seems smaller to me than all the other destinations. I liked it for shopping but I think I've been banned by Red China so I might never go back.
>Seoul
Okay, one megacity I didn't like. It has a few interesting neighborhoods but the vast majority of it is sprawl and modern grey architecture (and grey weather for much of the year).
>>
>>2139638
I don't know about Moscow and Istanbul (I know they supposedly have huge populations) but Paris and London are NOT megacities in my opinion.

Paris has a population of a few million, big, but definitely not reaching the 5 million mark.

London (as someone who has lived there and has family and friends all over the place) isn't really a megacity either. What a lot of people don't realise about the place is that Greater London is a huge area akin to a county or state, not a city, just like New York state. The different areas of London are so spread out and unassuming they're pretty much their own cities and towns. London really isn't a megacity in the slightest, it's just an area mistaken for one.

There are some things that I really like about London over nearly all cities that it's grouped in with though for bars and dining. There's so much variety it's unreal, whether you're looking for an ultra modern rooftop bar at the top of a skyscraper, a 400 year old pub, a quirky hidden basement cocktail venue, the options are pretty much endless in that city in terms of what's available.

Perhaps the one biggest thing that irks me about London (and this is probably true for most big cities) is that everyone there is desperate to be a someone. Everyone is desperate for attention and to stick out from the crowd. If you're not studying psychology at a top university and teaching interpretive dance yoga on the side or not from some exotic brown shithole people will look down on you like you're a peasant. I've noticed a lot of Western Europeans doing this in London too. It's really true that if you're an average Joe, there isn't much room for you in a place like London anymore.
>>
Just gonna list them out, so I can remember where I've been. Of the megacities listed on Wikipedia, I've been to:
>Bogota
>Bangkok
>Cairo
>Delhi
>Hyderabad
>Istanbul
>Jakarta
>Karachi
>Kolkata
>Lahore
>London
>Mexico City
>Mumbai
>New York City
>Tokyo

Struggling to pick a favorite. I guess my top megacities would be: Delhi, Kolkata, Istanbul, Lahore, Mexico City
Least favorite is easy: Jakarta. Boring shit-hole, nothing to do except go to the mall
>>
>>2139709
shitskin
>>
>>2139709
I totally forgot about Lahore; I didn’t really realize it was so big, so I wasn’t thinking of it as a mega city. Loved it, too. Karachi much much less so.
>>
>>2139661
>The worst city i visited was tel aviv
Tel Aviv has a population of under 400,000, so it falls well short even of OP’s generous definition of a megacity; some sources start calling cities mega only when they reach ten million.

So I am sorry you didn’t like Tel Aviv, but it’s not relevant to this thread anyway. I’ve never been myself but everyone I know who has visited has spoken highly of it. Maybe it’s the weather as much as anything.
>>
>>2139701
>I've noticed a lot of Western Europeans doing this in London too. It's really true that if you're an average Joe, there isn't much room for you in a place like London anymore.

They live in small, damp, terrible cottages packed like rats. They have to overcompensate in other areas. It's a sad place to live, I am very glad I am out of there.
>>
>>2139638
>Paris
Absolute disgusting shithole. As close to India-tier as a western country can get.
>Mexico City
Just meh. It's my hometown so it's nothing great to me. Definitely had soul but when compared to cities other places I feel it's wasted potential. Average street is dirty and decrepit as fuck. It's normal for there to just be random holes on the sidewalk. God forbid you don't see it and fall into it. Also the city is practically dead after 10pm due to crime.
>London
Expensive and boring as fuck. One restaurant wanted to charge me to fucking sit down and get tap water. Pathetic.
>NY
Nice but dirty. Soul. Great club scene and tons of shit to do. Expensive but unlike many other places actually worth it.
>LA
Sprawled as fuck. Don't even bother going unless you have a car. Americans are super friendly. Got invited to a party by some random girl I met the first day I arrived. Club scene is shit and full of stuck up people. Lots of hobos and poverty. Disappointing.
>Beijing
Nice place but too strict with the rules. Hutongs are fun. Has more ancient architecture than most Chinese cities.
>Chengdu
Crap air. Food is nice and there are pandas. My anglo friend got stomach poisoning there (kek) despite the fact that we ate the same shit. If you got a sensitive stomach or don't speak Chinese don't bother going.
>Hangzhou
China's sprawliest city. It's pretty and modern but boring.
>Moscow
Surprisingly cheap. People are friendly as fuck. Broke a lot of my stereotypes of the place. Clubs are great but they can party way too late (till 6am). Really enjoyed it. 10/10
>Seoul
Compared to China and Japan it was quite disappointing. People throw their garbage on the streets for some weird reason. In some ways it is dirtier than Mexico which really surprised me. Lack of any historical architecture as most of it was destroyed during war or their dictatorship.
>HK
Crazy expensive but good food.Soul but not as modern as the mainland. Their English is surprising lackluster
>>
>>2139717
Are you that anon who wanted to learn Pashto?

I'd been expecting to like Karachi quite a lot, since I'm typically cool with big, crowded cities. People there were exceptionally friendly, but there wasn't shit to do. The layout was also sorta bizarre: all the "nice" places were in military-controlled zones along the coast, and very sparsely populated in comparison to the rest of the city.

Ah well. Karachi was alright, but Lahore definitely had more SOVL.

(but tbf, I also made better friends in Lahore--who I traveled with all over PK with--so I could just be biased)
>>
>>2139771
>as close to India-tier as a western country can get

>>>hasn't actually been to india
kek
>>
>>2139733
fuck off rabbi
>>
>>2139771
What type of stereotypes did you have before going to Moscow? What surprised you most?
>>
File: ef9.jpg (67 KB, 590x366)
67 KB
67 KB JPG
>>2139733
>everyone I know who has visited has spoken highly of it.
>>
>>2139682
t. weeb
>>
File: 5645635847869869.jpg (55 KB, 386x512)
55 KB
55 KB JPG
>>2140114
Archaeology nerd actually, so Paris and London should be at the top of the list if not for the constant decay. Luckily Tokyo and Japan at large have enough history to satisfy.
>>
>>2139733
I've visited Tel Aviv and while I wouldn't say it was a terrible visit, it was underwhelming. I did not experience racism (I'm white) but the most friendly towards me were black/ethiopian. I wouldn't say the people weren't friendly, but it was still one the less friendly places I've been to.

It was also surprisingly dirty.
>>
>>2139638
Istanbull, hands down. Yes, it has poverty and its rough edges but the climate, the people and the culture was amazing. Just to take an example: when I was in a ferry transporting me across the strait, a spontaneous dance just broke out among the passangers. That would never have happened in an autistic northoid country that I come from.
>>
Moscow is the best.
1. Tons of culture.
2. One of the best all around public transport networks in the world.
3. Very green, lots of parksm tree-lined streets.
4. Can be different depending on the neighborhood. All kinds of soulless and cozy.
5. Not expensive to cheap depending on what you want.
6. Good food from all over the world.
>>
>>2139771
>Also the city is practically dead after 10pm due to crime.
Actually it is because your subway closes at 21pm (!)
>>
>>2140377

Don't forget the cats.
>>
>>2140380
>moscow
irrelevant central asiatic shithole
>>
>>2141287
You are an ignorant retard.
>>
>>2139784
>Are you that anon who wanted to learn Pashto?
No, although I respect him. I’m >>2139659. I got by in caveman Urdu in Pakistan; I have a close Pashtun friend from Lahore who informed me that all urban Pathans are at least bilingual, and I didn’t spend a lot of time in the northern PK countryside. I was even able to bust my pidgin Hindi-Urdu out in Nepal once, when a woman who was selling me tea had zero English and was sort of staring at me in disbelief instead of asking for money…. It didn’t work, but her son heard me and came over laughing, asking (in beautiful English) “Do you live in India?”
>>
>>2139638
London wasn't that bad in 2001 I guess when I visited it
>>
File: london2020.jpg (67 KB, 750x492)
67 KB
67 KB JPG
>>2139701
>Perhaps the one biggest thing that irks me about London (and this is probably true for most big cities) is that everyone there is desperate to be a someone. Everyone is desperate for attention and to stick out from the crowd. If you're not studying psychology at a top university and teaching interpretive dance yoga on the side or not from some exotic brown shithole people will look down on you like you're a peasant. I've noticed a lot of Western Europeans doing this in London too.
That has been my impression from London for the last 10 years as well. To be fair I was there only in 2006 for a week - it was very nice but it seemed later that the London I saw is very different today.
All the people I know that moved to London are the type that is desperate to be someone.
>>
>>2139638

Best was New York. For all its problems, it's still easy to navigate and, as an architecture nerd, it was quite enjoyable.

Worst was Bangalore. I don't really need to describe much there, do I?
>>
>>2141287
Moscow is squarely in Europe you retard peasant, learn basic geography before posting on this board
>>
>>2139771
Yo Jose I'm going to NYC pretty soon, what are some places you recommend (that I wouldn't find on a google search)? Also you say the club scene in LA is stuck up and sucks: funny you say that, I'm from LA and I think the same thing, but I thought I was going crazy or something.
>>
>>2139638
Toronto has got to be the most non-descript mega city I've ever been to. No soul, nothing. If an algorithm had to design a city, it'd look like Toronto.
>>
London anon here, seeing that this is a thread about megacities I thought it'd be a good place to ask - is London exceptionally soulless/corporatised compared to other megacities or is this just a general world city/megacity thing?
What I mean is that London often feels like a literal theme park due to how prevalent chains/corporate culture is, yes there is a lot of super amazing architecture/museums/history but a lot of day to day life at 'street level' (for lack of a better term) feels dreary and without human character.
Rising costs have really damaged grassroots culture too, you still have the big museums/art galleries which will always be there and always have super cool stuff from historical/established artists, but obviously if COL is through the roof then any artsy type that isn't a Tarquin is gonna have a hard time living here and making work. That's why London's scenes aren't as raw as they perhaps used to be, and a lot of the stuff that is happening is Tarquin core. Obviously there are exceptions to this rule and a lot of cool people are trying to fight this process (we still have a really solid hardcore punk scene), but it's still a trend that is present
Asking because I like the variety of things to do and sheer size of London but feel suffocated by the sterile aspect of it that I just mentioned, to the point where I'm gonna have to move somewhere else soon for the sake of my mental health, but I know that I'd feel bored unless I moved to another city of a similar size
>inb4 that one Tarquin who always gets his panties in a bunch over 'poorfags seething about London' rocks up
>>
File: 1632235096094.gif (1.48 MB, 600x338)
1.48 MB
1.48 MB GIF
I will answer, but it makes no sense to limit your choices to megacities. They are so big there is no way you're gonna see it all. Actually you're gonna miss the vast majority of it, and you'll probably have no idea how the people in each district live. Considering what a tourist can experience, "normal" big cities are just as good.

London: 9/10
Even just the museums are worth it, and there are sights besides those too.

Paris: 7/10
I went 20+ years ago when it was less overrun with immigrants. Lots of sites to see, and the grand design of the city was nice too.

New York 4/10
The skyscrapers were impressive, but otherwise it was really samey.

Moscow: 8/10
So much interesting stuff to see. Even every day stuff can be interesting because it's "built different" from what you're used to in the west.
>>
>>2141287
if this is bait i fell for it.
otherwise, youre a moron
>>
bump
>>
Moscow
Istanbul
UlaanBatar
>>
>>2143390
Yes.

Paris feels French. Mexico City feels Mexican. Tokyo feels Japanese. I haven't been to Moscow but all those cities feel culturally exotic to visit despite being major multinational corporate center. But London just feels Globohomo.
>>
you know what this thread is?

anti italian racism
>>
>>2139638
Paris is not a megacity. Barely anyone lives there compared to the other 3.
>>
>>2139638
>Best
Tokyo and Shanghai were great, Bangkok makes it up there aswell but that's only because I've been there so much I know the culture and it almost feels like home (to an extent)
>Worst
Mumbai.. I don't even know why I went there, I guess my friend hyped me up but holy shit that place was garbage. Beijing aswell is literally the scam capital of the world, horrible place

I've obviously been to european cities aswell (I'm from Europe) but to me it's nothing special, I'm too used to european culture to enjoy those cities as much as I enjoy cities like Tokyo
>>
>>2147398
Paris is a megacity to the normies. Anyone who goes there knows its a shithole
>>2147605
Lived in Beijing and never experienced any scam. Its probably one of the least scammy cities in the world desu.
>>
>>2143390
Londoners work overtime to try and convince themselves and everyone else around them that London is actually exceptionally British in character, as if stereotypical politeness and courtesy is massively exaggerated here compared to other parts of the country. To me, this is just a cope to convince themselves that London isn't just a soulless hellhole with no real culture. The places with 'culture' are actually horrible dumps filled with minorities. The posh places are filled with rich Arabs, Russians and Asians who don't live there. The only 'British' places left are areas like Richmond and Hampstead, and even then these are pretty grim just because it's mostly wealthy boomers who live there and are desperately clinging on to some semblance of a good life.

Ugh I hate it.
>>
>>2147398
>The area had a population of 12,628,266 as of 2017, making it the largest urban region in the European Union.
>>
>>2139638
I haven't been to a lot, but Paris sucked.
>>
>>2143390
I dunno, I always thought Paris seemed a Sisyphus place to me, and Mexico City was too Dadaesque for my tastes.
>>
>>2147605
I've been to Mumbai a few times. Local transportation sucks big dick--you either have to suffer in over-crowded trains, or get stuck in endless traffic--but I loved the city aside from that.
>>
>>2141528
This. Toronto is like an algorithm dropped an assortment of random thirdies into an American suburb and called it a city. It exists just to further real estate speculation.
>>
>>2139785
Don't need to go to a shithole to know somewhere is a shithole.
>>2140058
Thought they would be cold and rude. The older generation is colder and ruder but anyone under 35 is super friendly. I got invited to so many parties and dates.
>>2141504
Havent been there in like 7 years so any info I give will be outdated. I recommend you make a thread here asking.
>>
>>2148099
Pretty much, it is just so bland and featureless. Not to mention the insane sprawl that goes on forever. Honestly if it wasn't Canada's biggest city, it would be about as relevant as Indianapolis or some other lower tier large American city. Big fish in a small pond effect.
>>
>>2139733
>t.
>>
>>2139771
When did you go to seoul? I thought it was very clean. Their subway was impeccable and the streets were too?
>>
>Megacity
There is this great word called metropolis that exists so you don't have to invent retarded americanisms you know
>>
>>2139661
>NYC is a big mall like Dubai, there is no humanity left there

First guy i met in nyc was a black man selling water melon on the side of the road. It was a magical experience and i recommend every one go to brooklyn to hunt him down specifically.
>>
>>2139709
Jakarta might be the shittiest city on earth. The roads are so awfully designed it takes hours to get anywhere. can't walk either. Pollution can be cut through with a knife and theres nothing worth seeing.
>>
>>2148106
How do you get invited to so many parties in Moscow and LA anon?
What do you do?
Are you just a 9/10 Chad or is it something else?
>>
>>2148554
Just be friendly? In Russia I just talked with people at the hostel and we did shit together. Also people will be extra friendly to you if they find out you are a foreigner. I think paying for a lot of shit really helped my situation too. Anytime I went to drink with my new friends I payed the bill and gained a lot of face from that. I don't really mind because Russia is quite cheap and I make good money anyways. Being a stingy jew will never get you anywhere. Just make sure you aren't being used.
>>
>>2139659
What does Mexico City offer lmfao
>>
>>2139709
>Delhi, Kolkata, Istanbul, Lahore, Mexico City

Do you just like brown cockroach infested shitholes? Why you like these cities?
>>
>>2139771
>>Mexico City
>Just meh. It's my hometown so it's nothing great to me. Definitely had soul but when compared to cities other places I feel it's wasted potential.

Lol in what way this shithole has "soul"?
>>
>>2140377
>a spontaneous dance just broke out among the passangers.

That never happens at all in Istanbul lmfao

The only culture in Istanbul is mall culture, homeless vagrant culture and shitty twinks/bears club culture lol
>>
>>2139709
Ew.
>>
>>2141476
St Petersburg is more European than Moscow LOL
>>
>>2148508
Some has to add this in Google Maps about Attractions in NYC
>>
Everyone I know that's been to Istanbul liked it.
>>
>>2139688
What do you do that you could live two years in Saigon?
>>
>>2145152
Do you feel that those places feeling 'authentic' is influenced by you being an outsider though? Like when you go to a different country, it'll obviously feel different and therefore 'culturally authentic' to a degree because you're an outsider, but the locals might not feel that way
London does feel globohomo tho. You from Bongland yourself?
>>
>>2148508
yeah saying new york has no humanity is wacky. Every time I go there I have some of the weirdest experiences with people anywhere lol.

Last time I was there, I was on a train and there was a bunch of black dudes arguing about some bible verse and whether or not it meant all white people would be enslaved.The silent wtf look me and the person next to me exchanged was priceless.

One time I was riding a train and the world's shittiest trio came on and played la bamba for like maybe a minute with half broken instruments passed around a hat and then got off at the next station.

pretty much every time I've been to New York I walk away with some story.
>>
>>2149918
Sounds like sovl. But dark sovl. Like a good place for touristic experiences, but a dystopian one to live in.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.