[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/trv/ - Travel

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 2342345.png (3.72 MB, 1663x1139)
3.72 MB
3.72 MB PNG
Give me one good reason I shouldn't move to Moscow
>Have $5,000 saved up
>Cost of living in Moscow equivalent to mid-sized rural American towns
>Getting a visa is piss easy if you want to teach English
>Don't even need a degree
>staunchly opposed to vaccines
>general hatred towards """refugees"""
Seriously, what's the downside other than it being cold? If you're American they'll probably spy on you but who cares, a government is probably spying on you no matter where you live
>>
I met a 12/10 from Ufa and I'm genuinely considering moving there to eat her pussy every day forever. There is no downside (except its cold).
>>
>>2124156
I'm thinking the only major downside is that you'd be locked into ESL teaching until you lived there long enough to apply for residency. Pay is pretty good among most ESL jobs but it might not be enough if you want to be more luxurious
>>
I knew someone who did the tefl circuit and said he liked Russia the best, Russians were really friendly, never had to pay for taxis because random people would pick him up and never ask for money if they could practice some English and he felt this was safe enough to do. Said he'd always get invited to shit and giving someone some random thing from the US like a ball cap was highly appreciated. He said Asia kind of sucked because the people in particular the parents are so competitive and overachieving. They get super mad when their kids aren't learning and the schools have high expectations and expect longer hours. His intent wasn't to permanently live abroad just for a few years so idk about living in Russia permanently.
>>
>>2124153
Pretty sure you need a degree to teach English there, at least legally.
>>
>>2124175
I don't think so. Knew a guy who was adamant about not getting a degree and he said Russia didn't require them but it was generally preferred
>>
>>2124160
>>2124174
>>2124175
>>2124180

Where does one apply to teach English in Russia? Is Ukraine going to be pretty much the same here?
>>
What is the language barrier like? Can I get a visa and set up there with $250k? I don't want a job, I'm a NEET. If I can get a flat in some comfy Russian suburb/city and have enough left over combined with low cost of living to retire, I'd consider it. I have always loved the idea of Russia.
>>
>>2124153
because slavs are miserable and misery loves company. u will get decimated by the culture of permanent pain and misery.
>>
The downside is you have 5000 dollars. Retarded.
>>
>>2124180
I knew a guy who was adamant about not needing a degree in China and then ended up getting deported lol. Get back to me on when you find out first hand. Thanks.
>>
>>2124251
to be fair, in China you didn't for the longest time. Then they decided to start actually checking. Which kicked out quite some teachers, but also made a labor gap. This was filled with Flips that could barely string two sentences of English together.
>>
>>2124251
It's not first hand but the guy lived and taught there for 3 years before coming back. I'd ask him about it but I'm not on good terms with him anymore. Faggot.
>>
>>2124153
>Cost of living in Moscow equivalent to mid-sized rural American towns

And cost of rent is more like Western Europe unless you want to live in babushka apartment with Brezhnev furnishings and all Uzbeks and Tajiks as neighbors.
>>
>>2124263
That's not true. I lived there for 4 years and I never paid more than 45,000₽ ($680ish). Was in a fairly nice area.
>>
>>2124251
You could get away with that stuff 20 years ago in China, not anymore.

>>2124254
Don't really understand why they're bringing in Filipinos, who suck at English, to teach English.
>>
>>2124272
That's over half of a Russian's monthly salary for a white collar job
>>
>>2124263
Sounds better than having Chechnyans.
>>
>>2124153
would that include you?
>>
>>2124153
$5000 is poverty, I wouldn't even be proud of that to brag online.

Most russians that go to USA bring on average 15-25k.

ffs

>>2124279
Cheapest people to do the job.
>>
>>2124279
Because they speak passable English. I prefer their accent over Francois from “Neau Work" and Matumbu from "Ghanada".
>>
>>2124153
>5k net worth
>I hate refugees!
bro I have 500k and I would feel humbled asking to emigrate to Russia, it is not some dump and you are not some Godlike figure from a magical land everybody dreams of going to. Get a grip
>>
File: 200070200820_167190.jpg (203 KB, 1280x704)
203 KB
203 KB JPG
>>2124153
I have lived in Russia for 5 years, first as a student, then an English teacher, and now the headmaster of a private school. I can give a few bits of advice for Russia.
>Know the language
Russia is manageable in English, but you can impress a lot of people and participate in a wider range of career opportunities by knowing Russian. I rarely speak Russian at my job, but knowing Russian has allowed me to manage staff that does rather than being managed.
>Take advantage of the chaos
Doing business in Russia is a clusterfuck with very few rules and a lot of high-testosterone deal-making. You can be a basic bitch English teacher, but after a year or two, especially if you go looking, you will find that being a native speaking foreigner (one of the good kinds, white-skinned and all) can make you good friends. My best jobs started after I became a language practice buddy with someone working in the Moscow mayor's office. After that connection, the clients and opportunities rolled in.
>Don't expect to be a king with 5k and a good passport
While having a good passport is nice and can give you some clout in conversation and finding a job, 5k in Moscow will get you 10 months rent in a so-so 1 bedroom apartment or a used car, basically the same as in the US. People won't be falling over to talk to you for being an American and many will consider you an immigrant at the same level as Tajiks or Armenians.
>DO be an English teacher
You can easily make 120k rubles/month as an English teacher and it makes great connections, especially if you do private lessons on the side. Every school will say that you can't, but what they don't know won't hurt them. It will be enough for you to live comfortably and have an adventure, plus if you do decide to be ambitious, it is a natural career path that has the potential for growth considering the glut of qualified native professionals in schools.

tl:dr Follow your dreams, but the experience is what you make of it
>>
File: Unbenannt.jpg (45 KB, 867x570)
45 KB
45 KB JPG
>>2124561
>120k rubles/month
lmao esl losers are something else I swear. Are you doing some sort of Bid here?
>>
>>2124574
I make much more now, but by Russian standards 120,000 is good money. It is just a starting point. The thing is that some teachers go there and end up making way less because they don't know the market salary
>>
>>2124574
It's 3x the average salary in Russia. That said, I have no idea where ESL teacher could find job in Russia. Unlike China, normal schools do not hire foreigners (and I can't imagine anyone teaching English to kids without knowing Russian), so you are limited to a few expensive private schools for children of embassy workers. Private tutoring can be a thing for sure, but you need a main job to get visa/residency permit.
>>
>>2124579
I am assuming you are amerikan. I am assumin this is pre tax. Unless you are thir worlder from kazachstan why would you ever do this? Even if your only skill is "I speak the language of my Parents" there is still better money to be made in America. Also less humiliating.
>>
What is the point of these utterly retarded heads?

Here's why you shouldn't, it either is or is very close to being a third world. It sounds like you're American but haven't even been able to graduate college, if you can't do this how the fuck do you expect to live well in the third world? You'd be sharing a room with some min wager barely able to afford food
>>
>>2124657
It would be insanity to do this over advancing a professional career but if you're a min wager living with parents you don't really have anything to lose and I assume you'd be much more respected as a TEFL teacher than shelf stacker
>>
>>2124665
this if you are a poor retard without a degree you are a peasent there. poor people are fucked in this town. also moscow isn't the based conservative holdout that /pol/ monkeys think it is. way more progressive than you would think. don't believe everything western media says retards.
>>
>>2124657
>American
Yes
>Pre-tax
Nope, afterwards
>Better money
In my current job my officially make 320,000 rubles a month, but my actual pay is three times that. Obviously teaching English in Russia is a dead end if you only do that. Teaching anywhere works like this. Russia is unique because you can do WAY more than simple teaching and as a foreigner many doors are opened to you automatically by virtue of your brand. That is why, in the original post, I mention that you have to make your work your own.
>Humiliating
Even when I was teaching English outright, I took away 45 dollars per lesson with private clients. I was my own boss, worked my own hours, got to establish my own brand, all without licensing, regulation, etc. that would have burdened me in the US. I am far less humiliated here than I would have been working as an employee at an American firm, I can say it firsthand. Again, not everyone will have my story, but if that poster has even the slightest ambition, he could do well for himself. Also Russians are cool and the puss is great. Going to world class operas for 50 dollars in a box seat is fantastic
>>
>>2124671
what are these doors you are talking about as a foreigner? smuggling black tar heroin in your ass to america?
>>
>>2124674
If you are that German poster, I am not sure what you are doing having this discussion, but in Russian, in Moscow especially, knowing a well-spoken foreigner can be a status symbol. You can climb the ranks of people who consider you a status symbol until whoever you hang with sees that you have other potential. In my case, I met a person who thought that I had a very good business idea. They invested in my company off the bat because of the connection. Once you are a Russian's friend, they will trust you with anything. Find a rich Russian and anything includes money. I don't know what else to say, apart from the fact that my success in Russia is in large part due to the fact that I was a guy's American friend, one that happened to be competent in areas other than English teaching.
>>
File: file_0.png (138 KB, 274x533)
138 KB
138 KB PNG
>>2124160
>>2124187
I don't get people that teach English. Essentially it's a job that isn't paid too well with little, if any, chance of proper pay later on or advanced career options. You don't even learn a skill from it aside from "How to bang poor Asians".

I mean you do you, but why not simply get a real job and work from your PC? Ten times better in every regard. I do it and it's great, and I actually get paid good money and develop some experience.
>>
>>2124682
For a lot of people it's the easiest, low skilled way to live in another country. It's not always about cooming or living like a king. I'm not sure why that's so hard for some people to under
>>
Main thing to note is that cost of living is almost Western. So if 100k roubles sound like much to you, because it's "much for Russia" - it's not much different from living on $1500 in a first world country. You'll get by on very low standards, spending most on bare necessities.
>>
Oh, and if you're onto Moscow because you fell for 'le Russia based' /pol/ memes ... Boy, you're in for a surprise. Moscow is a pretty Asiatic city, populated with Tajiks, Uzbeks, Kazahs, Dagestanis, Chechens and whatnot.
>>
>>2124742
>Oh, and if you're onto Moscow because you fell for 'le Russia based' /pol/ memes ... Boy, you're in for a surprise. Moscow is a pretty Asiatic city, populated with Tajiks, Uzbeks, Kazahs, Dagestanis, Chechens and whatnot.
wait till he learns that Russia has a significantly higher muslim minority than western Europe countries
>>
>>2124735
But there are more rewarding ways to work abroad. And 99% of English teachers here and I met irl do it exclusively for the easy sex.

I mean if you are 18 then go for it, sure. But as a 2X year old? Nah. I don't see the point.
It's like being a hostel volunteer. Fun and great when you are 19 but after that you better do something with your life.
>>
>>2124742
Russia has a massive illegal alien problem and they let Muslims do whatever they want.
>>
>>2124153
Um because they have a Commie past and no morals?
>>
>>2124153
I heard they have a ton of Muslims and think that Muslims and Christians all fall under the blanket of "Abrahamic religion" equally.
>>
>>2124153
Moscow has more muslims than any other European city, Moscow is not white. Also it is depressing af, people are depressing, it is the natural mental state of typical russian, if you do not have american friends there to keep you company you will die of gloominess
>>
>>2124153
>Give me one good reason I shouldn't move to Moscow
Reason 1: You have never even been to Moscow. Why the fuck would you decide to move there before spending time there? You cannot get a good understanding of other cities and cultures from a few Youtube videos and message board posts, you need to spend time there. I had some friends who were big Japanophiles. They spent years planning to move there, and even learned Japanese and visited it multiple times during those years and loved it. When they moved there, they moved back 6 months later because they just did not fit in. These guys had a much better idea of where they were going and misjudged it, you need to start by just planning a visit and spending some time figuring out how life would really be there for you
>>
I want to move to Russia myself, I just need to set up a way to continue to make American income since obviously what we make is like 2-3X as valuable in Russia. I guess with the fact I speak English I can still do something online, especially if the hours aren't strictly on western time
>>
>>2124788
>illegal alien
Ayy lmao
>>
Read this thread first. >>2126435
If you aren't serious about learning the language, then you will never get any further than fantasizing in your mom's basement. Worst case, this: >>2126410
Best case this: >>2124561
>>
>>2126629

This thread first: >>2123299
(fucking thing)
>>
>>2124682
>get a real job and work from your PC
Such as?
>>
>>2124676
Sounds shady. I don't like countries where there is no rule of law
>>
>>2126389

Moscow is not a European city...
>>
>>2124153
>Have $5,000 saved up
KEK. What's your plan? Buy a used Hyundai and live in it?
Also, do you even speak Russian? If not, lol, lmao
>>
>>2124254
>>2124279
Flips are top ESL for South Korea, too
>>
>>2127144
>tagalog
>esl
I bet you are etl-er
>>
I'd like to go to a russian speaking country and study (as a beginner) russian for cheap but without having to live in some third world dorm room. I'm fine with soviet aesthetics, but not with dirt of roaches. Anyone can recommend a school?
>>
>>2127204
>I'd like to go to a russian speaking country and study (as a beginner) russian for cheap but without having to live in some third world dorm room
Have you considered making some money? LOL
>>
>>2124180
>he said Russia didn't require them but it was generally preferred
In other words, when it comes down to you vs another candidate with a degree, they’re going to hire the guy with the degree every time. Sounds like a brilliant plan you fucking retard, please go move across the globe with your substandard qualifications and post about it later so we can laugh at you.
>>
>Don't even need a degree
>staunchly opposed to vaccines
Jokes write themselves
>>
>>2124153
>braindead uneducated poorshit loser trying to desperately get into the country
>>general hatred towards """refugees"""
Well you answered it yourself
>>
>>2124153
>it’s another stupid rightwing poorfag fantasizes about living in a dictatorship episode
*skip*
>>
>>2124355
He’s not a 60iq somali rapist muslim so no
>>
>>2127240
>In other words, when it comes down to you vs another candidate with a degree, they’re going to hire the guy with the degree every time.
you imagine that there is an abundance of english teachers with degrees lining up to move to russia. you also imagine that people only want to learn english in the cities and that there arent very many towns and cities in russia.
you're simply narrow sighted, anon.
english teachers are in low supply and high demand around the world. if you're a native english speaker, you can find and get an job teaching it in any country outside of the EU and english speaking countries.
>>
>>2127375
Cool

Go do it

Cant wait for you to report back after actually traveling as opposed to just posting fantasy daydreaming threads
>>
>>2124153
Just say you have a degree from some random no-name college in America, there is absolutely no way that they would ever call the college to confirm
>>
>>2127460
no they will probably just email, fucking retard. Do you seriously think nobody checks references?
>>
>>2124153
Only having 5k saved up is a good reason, even in "poor" countries that can go pretty quick especially since I doubt you'd buy any insurance. Nothing wrong with your plan anon but you should probably try and have 10k-15k.
Also putin is putting in Vax mandates too, grass is sometimes not always greener
>>
>>2127619
$15k is still nothing in terms of emigrating. Flights, visa fees, hotel, food, transport.... then you have rental deposit, utilities, rent, tax, internet... he does not live in the real world. I highly double OP is a grown working adult.
>>
>>2127644
doubt* not double, not phoneposting so have no clue how I typed that
>>
Why do people who hate migrants want to migrate to other countries and impose their own shitty views on them? Are you a special snowflake "good" migrant? Stay in your shithole country faggot
>>
>>2126652
Literally anything that works online. I meet translators, architects, designers, many programmers, start up support and so much more. I'm seeing them everyday, happily typing and working away.
I get 5k a month but some do get even more.

Teaching on the other hand is a dead end job with little pay. It's useful for a 19 year old but what money and experience are you accumulating there? How does it profit you later? Just study something useful for three years and get a remote job instead and actually have a great time and money and an actual future.
>>
>>2127376
>Cant wait for you to report back after actually traveling as opposed to just posting fantasy daydreaming threads
not op, but you will never get anywhere in life if you think everything is harder than it is. Im not even white but the fact that I grew up in the US was enough to be offered to teach english over seas. The trick is simply knowing who to talk to and making some friends. Then I also have two friends with no degrees. teaching english at a school in Indonesia, and the other just privatly in Amsterdam.
This is happening in real life, and not just some strange idea in your brain, anon.
>>
>>2128277
Not sure how that’s a response to what you quoted; i’m just tired of daydream threads and look forward to an OP who can actually talk about having done something

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.