[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/trv/ - Travel

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 12.jpg (24 KB, 852x480)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
And managed to get to a 'normal' level of understanding and basic speaking?

How difficult was it?

Any advise/tip/tricks on how to archive it?

Google says you need only 1100 hours to 'learn russian', meaning 3h a day during 1 year.... Sounds to good to be true...

Any premium App's you recommend maybe?
>>
>>2123299
My mother used to say "if you want to learn other people's tongue, get used to their cuisine first". So, to learn Russian, the first thing you need to do is... drink Vodka as breakfast everyday, I guess.
>>
I used Babbel for two months and spoke it fluently enough to completely rely on it as I traveled central Asia.

Now I completely forgot it again as young people all rather learn German and English and Russia was closed for quite some time
>>
>>2123303
>drink Vodka
for boomers/gopniks, the russian drink is tea
>>
>>2123299
This is my method for language learning so far:

In short:
>get a native grammar book with tons of example sentences; it should be entirely in your target language, no English
>make anki cards with audio for literally every single sentence starting from chapter 1
>use [language]-to-English dictionary if you can't figure a word out from context
>read & then speak along with the anki cards as you practice them, every day
>don't think in English; relate everything to mental images instead of English

You get vocab, grammar, speaking, listening, overall everything you need for massive input. I'm learning French retardedly fast from this.

Of course, you'll have to learn the basics of the script first but that should take no more than a day or two.
>>
>>2123378
2 months and you spoke fluently enough?

Thats like loosing 40kg in 2 months.
>>
Yeah, I got there through YouTube videos, Duolingo app, and traveling to both Ukraine and Russia. It took me a couple of years to get to basic conversations.

I don't know if it was worth it though. I've used it a few times in talking to people and getting things I need when traveling. But mostly people in Russia don't want to hear my Russian and quickly switch to English to practice when they can, same in Ukraine.
>>
>>2123461
Isn't it frustrating when you are in Ukraine and people speak ukrainian? Thats the country I hope to live in a few years.... the reason I'm learning Russian, and not Ukrainian is because even if I LOVE Lviv, I might end up in Kyiv or god knows. So I thought learning russian would be more ''practical''.... I'm still confused on which one should I start learning... My mainly interest is Ukraine.. .it should be ukrainian but.... I don't know if my future trad wife will be from the west, or the east.... cope.
>>
>>2123475
Learning one will make the other much easier to learn down the road. Just start one now; you're not getting anything done by waiting.
>>
>>2123475
Russian is definitely more practical. But your future trad wife will probably speak English better than you'll ever speak Russian.

Like Bald, Alina seems to tire of his broken Russian and probably talks to him mostly in English, which her broken English is probably better than his Russian, at least it was in the beginning.
>>
>>2123477
Good advise, I'm starting today. But I'm sure if I end up learning both, I will end up mixing them.
Anyways, better have something to mix, than no ingredients at all.

Spasibo sensei!
>>
>>2123299
You're not going to be fluent in a year but if you actually spend 3 hours a day you're gonna get pretty far. You probably need closer to 2000 hours to even approach anything close to what could be considered fluent.

The hardest part for me is the pronounciation and the fact that Russian is far enough from western european languages that the way you express yourself is quite different, so you can't as easily directly translate stuff you want to say from english. That's why you gotta focus on comprehensible input as soon as you you know about 500 words and some basic grammar. Don't spend time trying to do output before you have a good feel for the phonetics and the logic of the language.
>>
Not to mention the huge benefits of Russian abroad. Many countries treat Russian speakers superior to English speakers. Examples are India, Turkey, Serbia, almost all of Eastern Europe is grateful if you speak Slav and can read Cyrillic.
>>
>>2123299
I've been trying to learn it for a few years now. I'll study for a weeks then stop so I need to work on my consistency. I've used Duolingo in the past to get an initial grasp on the language. It's a good brute force method but I think there are better ways to learn. Right now I'm using Anki to increase my vocabulary. And also watching Daria from Real Russian Club Youtube and podcast for grammar.
>>
>>2123435
Wasn't that hard desu
95% of conversations are about the same things and I never strived to be 100% correct. I could negotiate prices, talk about my family and ask stuff about towns. Basic dinner or taxi driving conversations basically. Everyone thought I learned it for three years when it was in fact three months.

Babbel is also really useful and others also reported huge successes with it. Being surrounded by Russian-only folks is also a bug boost there.
>>
>>2123554
>>2123575
thank you frens
>>
>>2123422
Your pronunciation would be awful without teacher to correct it. Phonetics is very different. Unpredictable stress and words that differ in stress only would be your challenge.

>>2123419
>Mind you, bald and bankrupt doesn't bother with grammar and he gets by.
He is right in a spot where he has obvious foreigner accent and yet quite understandable.
>>
>>2123299
Russian wasn't too bad for me bc I loved learning a new alphabet so it was like learning an ALiEn language.

I unironically used duolingo to learn and Tinder, Tiktok to practice. I can understand and read it a lot easier than I can speak it but it's a fun language to learn coming from English and easy to remember for me.
>>
File: rt.jpg (6 KB, 180x180)
6 KB
6 KB JPG
I decided to learn Russian on a whim and am now conversational. The program that I used to self study and is still the most effective for me is the "learn Russian" online textbook provided by RT. Apps like Duolingo are useless.

Once you get midway through the course, download Anki and import decks that contain the top 1000 most common Russian words to build vocabulary.

Just keep in mind it takes a long time to learn so you're not going to be able to browse двaч anytime soon.
>>
>>2123422
Who the fuck actually does this?
>>
File: 16076720173470.png (497 KB, 837x846)
497 KB
497 KB PNG
>>2123419
I heard him say a while back, "Don't bother with grammar, just learn vocabulary", and then I unsubbed.
Sure. If you want to sound like, "It'll be three dollah". That dude is a fool.
>>
>>2123435
Not him but I can totally believe it. I got somewhat conversational by 3 months. I didn't use Babel but Pimsleur and a textbook. Russian is surprisingly easy, at least to get to a basic level.
>>
>>2124955
Why would that make you unsub? Did it anger you that you spent years learning grammar and still can’t speak a word? Lol.
>>
>>2124966
>I didn't use Babel but Pimsleur and a textbook
Are paid courses worth it? I've been trying to get by just doing Anki, watching YouTube videos, and accessing free resources online.
>>
OP focus on input rather than output, besides practicing phonetics as one of the first things. You don't want to ingrain a bad pronounciation, I still can barely make myself understandable because my pronounciation sucks so much.

Also, be aware that most people who claim to be fluent or conversational are probably overstating their skills. It's easy to feel shitty about what might feel like slow progress, but very few people actually manage to reach a good level of fluency and that goes for any foreign language. It takes literally thousand of hours of study to become decent. Anyone serious about learning a language would not waste time with duolingo btw
>>
>>2123575
Bull fucking shit. I'm sure you're not even above A2 after 2 months.

Also OP, pimsleur is a good start, but people claiming to be conversational after Pimsleur and not much else are full of shit. Don't believe it
>>
I studied Russian for 2.5 years in high school, and another two at university. I took it pretty seriously and am in general interested in languages/inclined to learn them. But I still estimate that it wasn’t much more than 350 hours of classroom time, probably not quite doubled by homework/out of class practice, plus a month-long home stay/exchange experience (which wasn’t as useful as it could have been, as I was early in my Russian studies and still struggled to make conversations—I should have done it a year later).

>tl;dr — probably got less than Google’s suggested 1100 hrs

I wound up at a moderately high intermediate level, and because my study was formal I have good grammar, which makes me sound more impressive than I am. And I have used Russian instead of English all over the place, including in some surprising places like former USSR friends Laos and Vietnam.

What I lack are slang and a large vocabulary. I can put any word into any case, usually correctly, but may not have the right word to do it to. I can talk about snowplows but not cooking, and I can give or get detailed directions better than I can trash-talk a football team.

I recommend getting at least some formal instruction instead of just using an app, ideally in-country, so you can get basic structure stuff drilled into you and questions answered by someone who is correctly informed. Then immerse for actual real-life use and use apps for vocabulary and expressions.
>>
>Wasting your time learning russian
Russian whores/women know english pretty well faggots.
>>
>>2124955
He’s traveling around the world speaking like that and having great adventures while you are stewing in anger. Bald won
>>
File: 1633450928121.png (302 KB, 457x457)
302 KB
302 KB PNG
>>2125598
Just study more or immerse yourself in the culture. Of course you think two months in the country after three months of self study won't yield results because you base it on "uni study groups" or whatever that you do for 2 hours a week, not 24/7 Russian-only in a place where nobody speaks English.

You catch up more quickly than you think.
>I bet you can't talk about Kantian dialectics in regard to 17th century Russian arts though
Sure. But 99% of conversations will be about similar issues with similar words and phrases and discussions. I could tell you what roasted chicken liver in cherry sauce means but not "glory" for example.
>>
>>2123422
>grammar book is entirely in a foreign language
>can't read the grammar book
Bravo retard
>>
>>2124950
>>2126322
You niggers cannot be saved.
>>
>>2125782
>>2123299
Learning any language takes a serious investment of time, and commitment. I would recommend enrolling in a language school (in Russia, in this instance). This give you three valuable things: 1. visa; 2. structure for learning; 3. a social network near a college or university that you can use to get started. If you aren't willing to make that kind of investment, you probably aren't that serious.

>>2125680 This anon knows the score. The girls that you want to fuck and the ones that won't scam you can't work a mail order bride site.
>>
>>2123299
english and jipangese are only languages worth learning, rest can go to niggers asshole
>>
>>2123303
My mother used to say if you want to learn other peoples' tongue open your legs. she is Russian btw.
>>
>>2126663
Your mother is a w(ise)hore
>>
>>2126605
Not everyone can move to Russia. I have a job here.
>>
>>2126612
I very rarely see Japanese people. I think English, Mandarin, and Spanish are top languages to learn.
>>
File: 1579755829953.png (297 KB, 1400x1140)
297 KB
297 KB PNG
why would anyone be interested in our shithole
>>
>>2128337
It's huge and the outdoors are beautiful in many parts. It also has interesting literature and history.
>>
>>2128337
history, language, night life, outdoors, culture and girls. Many reasons to visit your country russianon, unfortunately the cuisine isn't one of them.
>>
>>2128195
>I very rarely see Japanese people
I noticed this too...
>>
>>2128337
Key language to many interesting places even outside of Russia.
Wonder how many decades more it will last.
>>
Bump
>>
I've found Russian the easiest of any non-Romance language I've studied. It doesn't take long to grasp a bunch of basic tourist phrases about directions, food, and shopping. You can't just learn it out of a book tho, pronunciation is too important.
>>
>>2125637
The actually interesting people you'd want to get to know never speak passable English. You'll be stuck with 4/10 girls obsessed with Friends and Sex & The City.
>>
>>2131196
>Friends and Sex & The City.
Do Russian girls live in the 90s?
>>
>>2125637
thats the point, the good russian women dont speak english, french or other langage
If she speak a western langage, shes probably a whore
>>
>>2123299
native speaker here: took me about 40 years but im getting pretty good at it. Id rate it moderate difficulty.
>>
native speaker here. 18 years old zzooomer is here
>>
yeah i speak it. started learning when i moved to russia when i was 28. i'm 34 now. my level is intermediate. girlfriend doesn't speak english. i can kind of half understand news articles. can communicate in daily life. gets kind of hard if i want to speak about specific topics like parts of a sailboat or chemistry

i have probably taken like 200 lessons with a tutor. also probably studied around 100 hours individually. and obviously, i speak every day on the street, etc.

good language, great people. best language and people on earth, i would say.
>>
File: kangz.jpg (53 KB, 693x483)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
>>2125637
what a low IQ take. you're probably a nigger.
>>
>>2123303
Hahaha so funneh russians drink vodka and have snow epic funny much wow :DDDDD
>>
>>2128195
>>2128433
japanese culture and people are typically severely xenophobic, severely agoraphobic (that also applies to their entire country not jus their own homes), and japan has the largest current and projected population decline due to aging population in the world by volume. They also never had a large presence outside of japan even throughout its entire history.
>>
>>2123299
Russian is a nice language.
>>
>>2134253
You inspired me bro. How long did it take you just to get to conversational level?
>>
>>2123299
start playing Counter strike
but seriously just start visiting russian forums of your choice
maybe they have their version of 4chan, like Suka Chan
>>
>>2134284
>Never had a large presence outside of Japan
Uh...WW2? But yeah I agree. I travel a lot and rarely ever meet Japanese people. Maybe I'm going to all the wrong spots but I've met even more Israelis on my travels than Japanese and that's a country of like 8 million people (I think).
>Agoraphobic
In what way? Putting your shoes on in your house is disgusting and not normal.
>>
>>2134274
we drink tea, mostly. vodka is for boomers.
>>
>>2123299
>learning some irrelevant third world language
why?

i'm convinced all these people that are making these threads are just the same third worlders in disguise looking to self-promote
>>
>>2136445
>Uh...WW2?
An outlier in it's 2000+ year history when it tried to copy western colonialism, which failed. Generally speaking most Japanese do not leave Japan very often if at all in their lives.

>In what way?
>extreme or irrational fear of entering open or crowded places, of leaving one's own home, or of being in places from which escape is difficult; Fear of places and situations that might cause panic, helplessness, or embarrassment.
A lot of them are also too scared/anxious or apprehensive to leave Japan for similar reasons. My guess is it's probably a side effect of their culture but who knows. Japanese business men that travel a lot probably break out of it easier. Though their business culture usually frowns upon people taking holidays and extended vacations outside of work related trips overseas.
>>
>>2136443
2ch.hk
Its a cesspit
>>
>>2123435
>>2123422
You can't compare Russian to French. French is relatively easy. I'm assuming OP is an esl (latam) or a native speaker, either case, French is extremely easy to learn.
t. Delf b2

Russian on the other hand has different phonetics, different grammar, sentence order, different alphabet. On top of that, let's say that you don't know what declension is, it will take some time to wrap your mind around that.
>>
>>2136442
it took around 3 years but that was because

1st year did almost nothing at all
2nd year studied casually, like 2 hours per week maybe
3rd year i guess my level finally became good enough to meet with girls who didn't speak english, and then i got way better in like 3 months from speaking almost every day

so progress became way way faster when i started speaking every day. i could have reached that level in 6 months if i had more time and motivation to dedicate to studying and speaking
>>
If I study phrases and vocabulary using Anki flash cards, do you think it would be enough for me to travel to Russia in a year?
>>
>>2137960
I mean it depends how much you want to use it. Do you just want to be able to get by, ask for directions, pay in shops, etc, or do you want to have actual conversations with people? If the former, I guess you could just drill some phrases, the important thing will be learning how to properly pronounce them as well. In my experience Russians aren't that good at detecting what you're saying if your pronounciation is totally off, applying the stress at the wrong part of the word can totally mess it up for example. If the latter, you need to do some actual language learning and it will require quite the commitment with only one year.
>>
OP doesn't know that he can study Russian for a year at nearly any Russian University forfree.
>>
Basic understanding shouldn't take long. By basic I mean stuff a typical tourist would need.
For conversation ability you'd need a tutor.
For reading untranslated Tolstoy and such... well good luck with that.
>>
>>2140880
>For reading untranslated Tolstoy and such... well good luck with that.
I got to the point where I could do some of that, slowly, with a dictionary on hand, when I was most of the way through a 400-level (fourth year, more or less) university Russian course. So in my experience it takes getting most of the way through a degree in Russian. But others’ mileage may vary. I’m sure a seriously autistic literature buff autodidact could do it faster.
>>
>>2140703
Tell me more.
>>
Bump
>>
>>2123299
I'm mostly just focusing on vocab, I've got the alphabet mostly under control except for a few letters that either look or sound similar and I mix up when I have a brain fart.
>>
You can use me <3
>>
>>2123575
sounds good, but that's not what fluent means.
>>
>>2123299
Mass Immersion approach is the way.
https://refold.la/mia/
>>
>>2145135
based. refolded shitty chinese shows with no subtitles a few months ago during midyear and by the end of it I could understand the gist of the conversations. too bad college took all my free time so I wasn't able to keep it up
>>
>>2124285
I've been studies for about 2 years now and kind of ignored grammar. I have a pretty decent vocabulary for basic conversation but my russian friends in vrchat said I talk like a "drunk churka". Also I tend to get things mixed up because cases are so important for identifying who does what in a sentence. Is the RT course worth doing for someone at my level? I've tried it last year but it seems like a lot the features didn't work on my browser so I dropped it(no audio through the media players, quizs not working, etc). I want to at least not sound like a retard when speaking.
>>
language learning thread? I would love to learn Chinese but I'm a lazy fuck. Guys who speak it, do you have some tips?
>>2123299
use Pimsleur. just get it from free somewhere, it's easy and comfy and it helps you get the basic sentences.
>>
>>2145321
I'm >>2145157

tried talking with chinese people on VRchat last night and my 3 month immersion seemed to work. I could understand most of some conversations (topics whose vocab I knew) but I've a long ways to go when it comes to speaking although I was able to communicate my thoughts with them with a little bit of english

basically check out refold and watch Matt vs. Japan's videos (he studies japanese but videos are relevant to any language)
>>
>>2141189
not him but ask on int, they were a guy from romania who spam the program

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.