[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/trv/ - Travel

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Maximum file size allowed is 8192 KB.
  • Images greater than 10000x10000 pixels are not allowed.
  • There are 66 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Happy 18th Birthday, 4chan!

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: raining.jpg (757 KB, 1680x1050)
757 KB
757 KB JPG
Digital Nomad general.

Let's talk about things you can do to drop out of the rat race, live the simple life, and ideal locations for it.

Locations with fairly low CoL ideal for working at home:

>Bangkok, Thailand
>Chiang Mai, Thailand
>Philippines
>Saigon/HCMC, Vietnam
>Cambodia

Ways to earn passive income, or be your own boss:

>freelance writing
>freelance programming/IT work
>freelance English teaching
>freelance copywriting
>selling on ebay/dropshipping

Feasible or not? Anyone have personal experience? Who is a 'digital nomad' right now?
>>
>>2121804
In your opinion, which ones are best for digital nomading?
>>
what do DNs do for transportation? unless you're sticking to one area like US or EU, you can't really have a car. do you just stay in areas with good public transportation and uber? renting cars seems like it would get very expensive
>>
File: PXL_20210122_213826233.MV.jpg (597 KB, 3472x4624)
597 KB
597 KB JPG
>>2121796
>Anyone have personal experience?
Been doing it for the past 8 years.

Most people won't make it, that's a fact of life. You simply won't want to wake up at 10PM to answer calls for your 9AM office or shit like that. I am hope this becomes a general because I tried it out a while back and it mostly had some good info.
>>2121807
This is the issue with most DN threads, there is literally 0 ways to answer your question. DN is basically a you jump into or you never do, life is kinda shitty despite what people think here. If you aren't happy what you do then DN will just spend your money faster abroad.
>>
>selling on ebay/dropshipping
This the only one I like. Can make a lot of money selling cheap shit to westerners at a marked up price. You just need to find the right market, and also be knowledgeable of that market.
Crypto trader meme is good too. If you have large enough stack that 2% gains can cover your weekly expenses.
>>
File: IMG_20190824_194811.jpg (229 KB, 1327x995)
229 KB
229 KB JPG
>>2121820
I usually bike or use a bus, train if I want to. Most things /trv/ would stick their nose up to are the way to go, yeah wow a bus smells like pee. Get over it for the 2.5 miles you want.
>>
File: 1615476650412.png (650 KB, 960x737)
650 KB
650 KB PNG
>>2121823
If you can't do what makes you income right now as you are reading this, you won't make it as a DN ever. Sorry that's the way it is, if you can't apply for a job and work it as you do from home right now. Not going to make it. I was extremely lucky for my job shipping me around the world but not everyone gets that chance.

DN is hard mentally and unless you are in it you don't know what I am saying. It's a day dream to many and a reality to only a few who will put that work in.
>>
>>2121827
I have a computer science degree, and currently work abroad in TEFL.

I'm going to take my next months salary and move to the lowest COL country I can find, where I wont get stabbed in the street. I'll then spend the next six months building my portfolio and applying for remote jobs. I think I have high chances of landing an entry level job before my funds run out.
>>
>>2121827
Breh I can make a months wages from exporting one item. Im sure its very hard for most that attempt. But thats because they are doing pleb work and relying on it for week to week survival instead of making money with money.
>>
>>2121851
cool shit where do you live and shit. You said can a bunch but not do.
>>
>>2121827
I agree, the first step is to attain an income before going nomadic. It never works out well for the people who go nomadic and then look for an income. They end up losing money and eventually going home. Chiang Mai used to be full of them.

Once someone has a reliable income (whether from a remote job, steady gig work, their own business, whatever) then it's easy. Or it was for me, I guess it depends on individual personality and life circumstances. I had nothing to tie me down. I put everything into storage and moved to Asia. A few years later I came back and sold everything in storage (what a waste of money that was, but it was the hardest step) and left again.

>>2121796
>Anyone have personal experience?
About 10 years. I switch between doing remote IT jobs and teaching (online and real life). I like and dislike both fields, and sometimes I take a teaching job for a visa and leave after a semester or after my visa renews. I don't like to work a lot, to be honest. I'll work for a while and then take some months off to do my own thing. I always maintain some income though, usually remote contracts that just need a few hours of internet access every week.
>>
>>2121796
Just came here to be a wet blanket like some other anons...
>>2121827
>>2121861
...and caution people against romanticising Digital Nomadism. Those who don't already have money or regular income should definitely not do it.

A naive young normie thinking about DN should think about trying one of these things first:
>go on a long vacation (or even just a weekend away from the usual) to see some places you might live or to check if you just needed a break
>get a steady job teaching english and immerse yourself in another country
>work toward financial independence in your home country, working a job and doing entrepreneurial stuff on the side until you can support yourself
Aim to put yourself in a stable situation to take a lot of small risks instead of taking one big risk.

Don't be one of those guys who goes to poor SEA countries and blows their life savings trying to monetize a blog or something. It doesn't make sense to transplant your life unless you already know roughly what your situation will be like on the other side. Hurling yourself into the unknown and hoping for the best is a high risk low reward form of escapism.
>>
Have any of you tried to get into a relationship with a girl from one of the countries you visited?

I tried going serious with one, but the job style difference killed it in the end. Lasted a full year, had to dump her because it was becoming a hindrance for me. I've seen people in working relationships and nomading, but I've become sick of women as of late.
>>
>>2121950
I'm teaching TEFL in China right now. My Chinese GF and I are moving to Cambodia soon. I'm going to work as a web dev online, and she's going to teach Chinese to the locals.
>>
I'm earning $800 monthly just with my crypto stacked. With how much can I live comfortably in Saigon? I fucking loved that city but I went there as a tourist expending a lot so no clue about daily prices.
>>
>>2121978
Where are you staking your crypto?
>>
>>2121978
Like this anon says >>2122014 don’t be stupid about your apartment. Maybe start by renting a room with other foreigners (it will probably be a mix foreigner and local officer workers), then get help from a local finding a place on zobazo or another site. Use the local to set your viewing and confirm the rent price and fees to avoid getting ripped off. Or go to a young property management agent, the young ones are eager, more honest and have better English. Once you have your apartment settled everything else is easy.
>>
>>2122019
Oh and don’t make a big deal about getting hot water, your landlord will jack the rent if you ask him to install one. Hot water heaters are really cheap.
>>
>>2122014
>>2122019
I'm earning $800 with stacking but that doesn't mean that I will live with only that. I can go to 1500 or so, I don't want to live like a local, what's the point then.
>>
>>2122023
Mistake number one: Thinking that living like a local means living badly.

You don’t need to overpay for an apartment. I had a nice one for $200/month. Newbies assume they need to pay double or triple that because that’s the cheapest they find advertised in English, then get some shitty place. Meanwhile single middle class office workers have a salary far less than your shit apartment’s rent and they’re living much nicer than you.
>>
>>2121796
looks comfy
>>
>>2121804
Never want to go to either of those places. Shit weather and lifestyle in eastern europe and
violence in the other
>>
>>2121910
I think this is good advice, why not try the online business on the side at home and see if you can make money, then see if you can make enough to quit your job and sustain yourself in a 1st world country, if you can do this then sure move. No reason why you can't keep it going. The problems is people do this in reverse and move before they even know if they can set up a sustainable online business.
>>
>>2121978
Back in the day I rented a really nice studio for about $500 a month. Big shower and good air conditioning. Those were AirBnB prices, though.

What are the risks involved with staking (or however you're getting that return)? I have some ETH that I'm not doing anything with, I wouldn't mind it earning a little interest.
>>
>>2121861
This is one of the few guys where that is not a dreamer flipping burgers. You can't be a DM if you aren't first working at home remotely. It isn't easy to get started with remote work--especially earning enough to consistently support yourself. It only gets harder if you are out of you element when you are trying to start. If you aren't earning a living remotely from your US apartment or mom's basement before you leave, prepare to fail. The only possible exception that occurs with any frequency is ESL. But this is a meager existence with which you will tire soon. I used to hire guys domestically for contract work who did the ESL China thing. Sometimes they would be available, sometimes not. When their phones weren't working, I know they were in China. I knew that after a year, they would be back. A year after they got sick of making next to nothing in the US, they would go back, and the cycle would repeat. Don't be one of those guys.
>>
I freelance teach remotely for a particular skill I excel in but I prefer not having to interact with & entertain someone, there's no benefits, it doesn't pay nearly as well as tech etc.. so I'm learning web dev.
>>
>>2121796
Consider doing what I am. This works if you have an in-demand skill. Do a national search for a job in your area in a really cheap place to live.

Yes, people will tell you that they pay less because of the lower cost of living. However, that is true only to an extent. Employers need to incentivize qualified people to live in areas that no one wants to live.

Buy a piece of shit house for which you can write a check. They are still out there, even today when everyone thinks their house is a goldmine. A lot of these houses in your target areas are owned by people who inherited them from their parents. They live out of state because they had to leave to get a job. These places haven't seen any re-modeling in over 20-40 years. The son or daughter is 50-something and lacks the lime, skills, and physical ability to do anything about the place but dump it for whatever they can get. Roll up your sleeves, supplement your labor with meth-addict day labor looking for a daily fix, and profit.

Live there rent free. Invest everything. Live modestly for a few years. FIRE.

Sell your house when you leave. You won't make a fortune, but it will add to you nest egg. The proceeds could also help buy a really cheap condo in nearer some air hubs in the US if you need a home base while you transition to DN living.

Te best way to do this is to put yourself in position in which have a passive income sufficient to allow you to live where you want to live.
>>
>>2122073
>just buy a house, boom, no more rent
great tip, bob
>>
>>2122075
If you have about 60 laying around, it will get the job done. Seethe.
>>
>>2122075
You can literally get free houses in several American states with the requirement that you return it to building code standards within 2-3 years. If you're decent at carpentry and have the time to spare, you can literally get free property minus building supply costs and time. I mean you can always just rent it out later.
>>
>>2121796
I sell on eBay, Walmart & Amazon. Make around 20,000 USD per month in profit. During holiday seasons it triples. I’ve never digital nomad before, but maybe I’ll be living in Thailand. eBay is the easiest place to begin, I do not drop ship in a traditional sense.
>>
>>2122085
And there are many places where the houses a little more than free. Essentially, you are paying only a few k for the lot, or just for some back taxes.
>>
>>2122087
If you do handle packages, how difficult is it to receive inventory and mail in foreign countries?

I would assume it'd draw the attention of the cops if you kept getting so many packages.

I thought dropshipping was played out. Do you buy in bulk then send it directly to Amazon to hold?
>>
I don't quite know how relevant my experiences are since they're just about the opposite of "digital", but I've been enjoying life in American CRM as an archeological field tech. A degree in archaeology/anthropology is all you need, but there's other ways in too- such as just taking a field school or finding the right connections. If you can dig holes, handle being outdoors for 10 hours a day, and are willing to travel constantly, it's a pretty solid gig. Although it's no longer as easy to get into as it once was- back in the 80s you could get in with nothing but a shovel, now the degree is kinda neccesary, the firms are also a lot more equipped and will usually pay for travel and lodging expenses, sometimes even booking a hotel and flights. (Unless they're a small local Operation) With construction on big projects like offshore wind, gas pipelines and solar farms booming, the market is real fuckin easy to get a job in. It literally took me five days of lazily applying to jobs before I got a yes, although I kept applying til I got in at a company with better benefits.
I realize this is a bit off topic, but if you're looking for a life of travel (within United States territory, including Alaska, Hawaii and Puerto rico) with a fairly easy job (you just dig holes and push dirt through a screen looking for old, broken shit), this may be something to consider.
And for those worried about loans... at my current rate, and with maximum frugality + leeching, i could pay off all of mine in six months. But I won't do that because living off Ramen sucks. I'm willing to answer any questions about the field except personal ones.
>>
>>2122155
Don't eat ramen, nig. Eat rice, beans, eggs, and veggie dish.
>>
>>2122087
How did you learn?
>>
>>2122155
>Loans
Ok, so you're an Amerifag but don't know about IBR?

I have over 60k in loans. I'm going to be doing a masters program as soon as I finish my bachelor's and I'll be maxing out the loan amount there as well.

Why? IBR is based on AGI. Anything under about 18k is a $0 payment. Those payments count towards the 20 year loan payment forgiveness.

See, you can just use the standard deduction and make 30k. Other above the line deductions let a single person make about 45k and still lower their AGI that low. 1099 or small businesses have even more deductions. I was making 70k as a trucker and had a $0 loan payment plus got money back on taxes every year.

If you're living overseas, the FEIE comes into play and can negate up to 105k in income.

People just don't make that much overall. The average household income was 65k, and that's multiple people working. It's really like 30-35k individually as the majority. If you're one of the 1% then yeah, but literally 70% of Americans don't make 40k a year.
>>
>>2122161
Living off hotels makes that a bit hard, I mostly live off of gas station food, continental breakfasts and cheap local restaurants. Rice and beans are a pain in the ass to prepare in a hotel microwave and some shitty hotels/motels don't even have that. Eggs are nigh impossible but you can get them ez at breakfast if the hotel isn't shitty and actually has breakfast. Veggies are the only thing I actually buy in terms of groceries, and I eat a lot of raw carrots, cucumbers, peppers and other stuff.
It is worth noting that despite pay being decent and all the benefits, many archeologists blow it all on alcohol.
>>
>>2122170
Try buying a toaster oven. I, too, live in motels and I spent about 50 bucks at wally world (they have $20 cheapos too) on a Black N Decker toaster oven. I eat steak a lot, and other cuts of meat like lamb loins, bison, etc. You can bake, broil, or toast a steak in about 20 minutes. It's the same size as a microwave and cheap enough to be disposable if you move a lot and don't have the room for one.
>>
>>2122168
Oh I just did a shitton of scholarships and grants, and ended up with 25k in loans. I'll be making about 30-40k depending on schedules and costs.
I honestly never even considered worrying about loans because I knew I'd be able to deal with them no problem... but this is useful information.
>>
>>2122174
That's honestly a real good idea, but it'd be a pain in the ass to carry on a plane. For those in local operations I'd totally recommend it but i zip all over the country and cant really bring much more than clothes and equipment.
>>
>>2122175
I did grants as well but student loans effectively became my income for a while. I didn't even need to work. My plan after I get off a 2 year probation is to do my master's in another country and not have to work at all because of amerifux student loans paying for it all. There's a list of international colleges they will pay loans for.

>>2122177
How often do you have to move? They're literally $20 for the cheapest ones. I mean combine that with buying real steaks and eating better compared to microwaveable shit or takeout shit and you'll still save a lot of money even if you bought one every month.
>>
>>2122181
Masters in another country is a good idea, I personally plan on doing mine in Mexico.
I move every ten days. Most crm is done in rotations of 10 days of straight work, then four days of offtime/travel.

Probably should kept my posts all in one instead of spamming so many separate ones! Not used to /trv/ being fast.
>>
Isn't there an anon on here who designs guitar pedals? I want to hear your story.
>>
>>2122190
I wanted to do archaeology as a kid but never did. I'm finishing up an IT management degree but never had experience doing it. I was running a sole prop as a trucker for about 5 years, oddly enough for a multinational that had a Mexican operation. I was on the border all the time.

I looked at Mexico and there are several colleges that the USgooob will pay for, but most of them are taught en espanola. I couldn't find a full English program anywhere in Mexico, but I can in other countries like Germany, Thailand, China, even India and other third worldies.
>>
I made 240k copywriting last year. Paid an assload in taxes.
You have to actually be good at shitposting. If you have ever made a viral shitpost on 4chan that continues to be posted years later, then you have what it takes.
>>
>>2122226
Adding to this. Posting on 4chan and seeking (You)'s is like the perfect copywriting training.

You know how to post to get people to reply to your idiotic opinion. That's copywriting. You're just fishing for clicks instead. You have to know how to sink those hooks into normie brains so they feel compelled to interact with you.

It can be offensive, intruiging, coercive, whatever. It's a big hustle but if you shitpost on 4chan all day you're already copywriting for free.

So yeah the janitor does it for free, but so do you.
>>
>>2122228

Whats an example of a viral shit post?
>>
>>2122226
Freelance or for an agency?
>>
>>2122231
Pick any copypasta you know off the top of your head. I'm sure you can think of something.

I'm John and I hate every single one of you, for example. Peenus weenus is another one. Etc.
>>
BAD or annoying copywriting is possible too. Just look a the faggot link cult and their failed memes and now failed shitcoin.

They needed better material but they stuck with their tired 2018-19 garbage and failed to adapt. They stopped getting their click-throughs because they didn't keep if fresh and trendy.
>>
>>2122226
doubt
>>
>>2121799
I teach English and charge $40/hr minimum for high quality clients. Now that I'm popular I work 30 hours a week and, no taxes paid, walk away with $1200 a week. I haven't had money problems for years and own a couple of properties in two countries (Russia/UK) despite living in neither
>>
>>2121855
>You said can a bunch but not do.
Yes true. Im stuck in my home country. But for example, TA22 Celica is worth ~8k market value in a certain country. In mine, 30k. Shipping and import taxes is no more than 4k.
>>
>>2122248
You teach in person or online? Any good sites you recommend for teaching?
>>
>>2121827
This. Being a DN is hell if you're just scraping by making pennies competing with pajeets. Unless you have a lot of money saved up, or can already make online right now 3x the money you'll need to survive in your destination(s), you're going to fail and end up miserable. I made that mistake once, and now that I'm gearing up to do it again I know exactly what to do.
>save up a year and a half worth of expenses, in reality you're probably underestimating costs so this will basically be a 9-12 month emergency fund
>make sure you can make online ~3x what you'll think your living costs will be (in reality this will probably end up being 2x which gives room for savings)
>connect with a local or two before going anywhere, this will help you find best rates on accommodations and give you someone to hang out with who's not a smelly english teacher loser
I think the crux of the DN dream is, in my opinion, either being able to work less and on your own terms or be able to increase your savings more than you would in your home country. There's no point in going to a third world country just to scrape pennies to live worse than a local.
>>
So where are the places to find a job as a copywriter?
I was thinking about opening a bank account in Africa so I can pay less taxes than in my home country.
>>
>>2121796
pretty much anything that can be "done from home" is being phased out and replaced by pajeets in call centers.
if you want to be a digital nomad you're better off just trying to invent a time machine to go back in time 10-15 years instead.
>>
>>2122226
I made a post about makima's vagina this summer that got put on reddit, twitter, and ifunny
>>
>>2123045
Lol. Do US. I get money back every year. I know some US copywriting sites but they don't pay nearly as good as what he's saying. You'll have to go to job boards and look, then ask if they'll let you work remotely. The ones I have are all online but you'd be lucky to make $15 an hour and it's boring shit.
>>
>>2121821
>You simply won't want to wake up at 10PM to answer calls for your 9AM office or shit like that.

mate glad you're here. Im a US citizen and my company instead of me quitting is letting me take on some bullshit back of the room data job where i do very menial tasks for $50k a year. they're going to let me be remote and my boss said i can work internationally for months at a time as long as Im on their schedule

it sounds like a dream, but also sounds terrible. how bad is it being on the US time schedule in say, chiang mai?
>>
>>2123568
>how bad is it being on the US time schedule in say, chiang mai?
No clue because I would never DN in SEA, I simply don't see the point or risks even though I know 'it's cheap'. I got Korea coming up here so I'm simply going to be doing what I did in Japan work 10PM to 6AM, spend time out till about 2 or 3PM and roll back home for some sleep. Worked in south china before, that was fun I don't see the need or point to go back.

SEA would be the same you're just going to be more strict on where you stay, having ample backup items in terms of cellphone and power for laptops and such due to storms, and be a bit more aggressive on time keeping.
>>
>>2123140
Nah, india teams have hard to work with quality of work and on time. People use india because their company is already going one foot in the hole or they are supplementing an existing team. I work in IT and been told "no jobs soon, all going to the cloud better learn a new skill" that was 10-15 years ago when I was in HS. Only people I know who lost their job due to the cloud were basically boomers so detached from the industry it wouldn't matter anyways.
>>
>>2123140
giga sour grpas lmao
>>
>>2123622
I would because I can make ~$12 an hour just writing articles online from my laptop at home while my entire lifestyle costs less than $500 a month and I get jungle slant pussy every day.

Why wouldn't I want this? Why would I wagecuck in anglo countries for the same pay but a 4x expensive lifestyle, never being able to save any money and just wagecucking til I die?
>>
>>2124029
$12/hr is really a sad salary.

I agree with your thoughts, but, wow if you think $12/hr is at all respectable. I’m in IT and I have three clients. Hourly rate is about 140/hr billable.

I make more in an hour then you do in a work day.

And you’re competing with SEA writers.
>>
>>2124044
not that guy but you work for shit money and think you're hot shit, hilariouus
>>
>>2124047
Retainer not included. Tons of threads are about remote work at some low amount of money. Anons need to look higher and ask for more.

But, yes, I have $35,000 monthly billable with my small firm. I do clear 500k annually via my llc.

I'm happy with that. I'm not big enough to really need more help/work and I am very comfortable anywhere in the world. 4 people total.

This isn't a brag, well not too much of a brag - but if I can do it and I'm an autistic fuckup that goes on /trv/ time to time, you probably can do it too.

I do feel guilty and should scale more, but maybe next year.
>>
>>2124044
It's just an option. I don't do it right now but I did it back in community college. The point is being able to work anywhere. It wasn't my only source of income but it was dependable. I also had various contracts through some freelance boards. I can just log in to a website and work without having to network or apply anywhere, and can do it whenever and wherever.

My real job paid about 70k a year.

There's no way you're making 140 an hour without sucking a dick. Quit larping.

>>2124047
Fuck off.

The whole point is if I'm living in SEA where my cost of living is less than $500 a month then I only have to work 10 hours a week. It won't be my only income source as I'm also a stock trader and will have financial aid coming in for my MBA program, but it's still viable by itself.
>>
>>2124072
$140/hr is a very low rate for consultation - it's alongside a monthly retainer which is very normal when you do a SOW - Proper contracting and not act as a cucked employee.

Even 70k/yr as a "real" job is depressing.

It's not a larp, in fact I even get referrals from bigger companies that don't want to the small fish I take care off time to time.

--
The whole point of geographic arbitrage (which is what you're trying to explain by COL) is to save as much as increase revenue as much as you can.

"stock trader" lol okay anon. I had more respect for you but if you say that and then say you write for $12/hr lol, and "financial aid" means you can't afford an MBA program/you're not financially solid.

So, there's that. Congrats, you're doing pretty low end on the scale of things and you should have higher goals and self respect.
>>
>>2124077
It's very rare for someone to make that much money is the thing. The average burger income is 35k a year according to the St Louis fed website. That's the majority of the population.

It's maybe 10% that make over 100k. Even high ranking government jobs don't pay that much.

You're larping or selling drugs/sex and using that as a front.
>>
>>2121796
All of these are in chink lands there are so many better places with low col
>>
>>2124077
70k is high income in most of burgerstan. I'm not from NYC or SF. That's managing an LLC in the transportation industry.

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/MEPAINUSA672N

The point of this thread is being a digital nomad. No, $12 is not amazing, but for the purposes of living in another country and making an easy income from anywhere then it's fine. It's easy and I can do it anywhere.

I don't have to justify myself to you, you larping boomer. I have about 20k in savings and don't want to pay for my MBA because I literally will be getting paid to go. Why would I give that up? Student loans are based on income and I'll be using FEIE so I'll never have to pay them until they're forgiven.
>>
>>2124083
>All of these are in chink lands there are so many better places with low col
Those places are fun. List what you think is better. I'm interested
>>
>>2123568
> sounds like a dream, but also sounds terrible. how bad is it being on the US time schedule in say, chiang mai?
You’ll get different perspectives on this, and you’ve already gotten the most common so I’ll give you mine. I was in your same position 10 years ago. I went to quit my IT job and they begged me to stay and said I could work remote from anywhere. So I moved to Tokyo and spent a few years working nights, with my weekend starting Saturday morning and ending Monday evening.

For me as a natural night owl, it wasn’t so bad. I lived in central Tokyo and there was always stuff open. I would wake in the afternoon, go on dinner dates, start work, and finish my shift with a couple of beer before sleeping in the morning. Got a girlfriend and had a good time.

That was Tokyo. Eventually I did the same thing in other countries, including Chiangmai and Bangkok. Let me tell you that it’s a different world. Nothing open late at night. Local restaurants have their oldest food for sale around the time you wake up. Weird alcohol sale hours (although circumvented if you buy it room temperature from mom and pop stores, but they still close early). Food options went way downhill and every day there’s non-stop noise no matter where you live. It was okay for short periods of time but I returned to more developed countries.

If I were you I’d still take the remote job. 50K/year is great for SEA and you can afford to leave after a few weeks if you don’t like it. You might prefer time differences in the Western Hemisphere, Europe, Central Asia, etc. Prove yourself valuable at work and ask for flex-time or suggest they start a night shift.
>>
>>2124088
If you earn enough for a comfortable living in the country you want, don’t need to touch your savings, and not forsaking your career, then by all means do it. Even that last thing - forsaking your career, ie career growth and options… Now that I’m older and I’ve seen how most people just scrape by their whole lives, I wouldn’t worry too much about that. But it’s easy for me to say that because I look back in time. For young people full of potential, it could leave them wondering “what if” later in life. Same existential moaning you hear from TEFLers who spent their 20s abroad. Only you can decide for yourself what you want, your goals in life, work to live or live to work, etc. The younger you are, the more caution I would advise. For someone in their late 30s-40s or older, as long as you’re planning for retirement then do what makes you happy.
>>
>>2124101
Uruguay and Croatia
>>
File: my brokerage acct.png (186 KB, 2365x1809)
186 KB
186 KB PNG
>>2124107
I'm in my 30s. 70k is a lot where I'm from. I've traveled all of burgerstan and even Mexico. My retirement plan *is* another country. Retirement visas for burgers are available in several countries. Philippines has good ties with burgerstan and lets people as young as 35 live there.

I know it sounds like I'm indebting myself by using student loans, but it doesn't work that way. I've 1099ed for over a decade. I get money back most years because of business expenses and above-the-line deductions.

I'm not dependent on one job and won't be there. I could work 10 hour weeks to pay my bills, then have ~$1000 come in every month for being a student, then another few grand in the stock market. Pic related as it's my brokerage account. It's easy to make 15-20% safely.

I'm not making outrageous claims here. I'm just an average guy. I don't just depend on one job because if I lose it then I lose everything. I have backups after backups. I have a cdl, forklift cert, bachelor's degree, 2 different contracts currently, savings, etc. I could also teach English in another country if I had to. I could work seasonally in burgerstan and then just do nothing in SEA for the rest of the year. I already qualify for social security because of how much I've worked.
>>
I’m going to make a general observation, as someone from the US and with dual citizenship in a more socialist country, and having lived in many rich and poor countries..

People from America and developing countries are very similar in their drive to earn money. Europeans, Canadians, Australians and Kiwis are different to varying degrees. Americans and people in developing countries are in tea trouble if they can’t afford health insurance. They are mostly entirely responsible (maybe with their employers) for being able to live comfortably in retirement. And they need to worry about family and relatives who don’t have money. People from other developed countries don’t worry about that. A Swedish street artist will retire about as comfortably as an American mailman. This affects career and life choices different nationalities make.

I think about this a lot when I read Internet arguments about salaries and incomes and shit like that. Not everyone here is from the same country. Some nationalities need to worry more about money and retirement than others.
>>
>>2124206
>Some nationalities need to worry more about money and retirement than others.
The only reason salaries come up as such an important topic in these DN threads is due to the massive flood of idiots who assume "eh I'll get a job making ~1000/mo should work fine" and live like absolute hell abroad or just end up losing money over time.

I make about 80k or so depending who you roll up my benefits and other bonuses. So I don't have to go look at living in some poor ass country just to make it to where I have a little savings at the end of the month. The other thing people forget is that you may need to go "oh shit I need a new laptop/cellphone/hotspot/etc" and need that emergency fund.

The one thing that irks me constantly about these DN threads is people living in NYC/LA/etc wanting to move over to wherever simply looking at it as a get quick rich due to lack of paying 2k/mo in CoL. While you can do it, I don't think this life style would be ideal for you since to get the quality of life you expect you'll quickly find out how much you need to spend in these small countries. IMO DN'ing should be about keeping your job while getting to see the world first and foremost, have the financial power to actually see nice shit, and the rest of the additional savings is an after bonus. Dunno just me,

That all said, I don't think there is any "wrong" way to do DN other than assuming you will find work abroad as a fact. Just know the limitations and drawbacks of DN since every thread people chirp up about DN seems to cause a huge shitstorm of posts going "nope not true!" or "lol y that matter?".
>>
>>2124081
I make 100k with a low ranking government job
>>
>>2124137
i think you have to live in the US for 6 months each year to collect social security
>>
File: 1611059237399.jpg (21 KB, 340x372)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
>>2122228
>Posting on 4chan and seeking (You)'s is like the perfect copywriting training.
Is fiverr or a similar site decent for making about $1000 a month doing copywriting? My only experience is writing greentexts on 4chan. I used to do IT helpdesk but I really don't want to go back to that world.
>>
>>2122163
learn to ship packages?
>>
>>2124029
How do you get started doing this kind of thing?
I'm pretty frugal. 20 hours of that a week would be life-changing for me.

My vocabulary is stupidly large, but I guess that's not always beneficial in copywriting, where the target audience wants clickbait that a twelve year old could understand. Is there a market for more technical or formal writing?
>>
>>2124122
>Uruguay and Croatia
Pretty solid choices, even if I've never been since I went all-in on Asia.

I know some racist dude in the RPG community went to Uruguay and Croatia looked like it had a nice coast + intelligent women
>>
>>2124335
It's not quite the same as moving from NYC to a cheaper area. Countries people usually mention are 1/10 as expensive, and yeah there's going to be some major lifestyle changes in order to manage it. Telecommuting jobs have been around for a while.

You don't have to be in the top 10% of NYC income in order to do it, though. You could be from literally anywhere and might end up with a higher quality of living standards because your money goes further elsewhere.

If you're selling your house and moving your family then no, its not going to be a great idea, but for a single guy with few possessions and a decent work ethic, you can have a much more comfortable lifestyle and often without having to do so much work. I mean $10 an hour even in Mexico goes pretty far when your rent is only $2-300.

>>2124698
I can't give out the exact sites I use but you can literally gaggle "how to work online" and start from there. I have a degree on website management so it kind of goes along with it, but there's quite a few other jobs available like customer support, tech support, virtual assistant, and anything coding or design related. I just find writing easy because I was a blogger as a teenager and used to write fiction as a hobby. It's mostly things like sales pitches hidden inside articles, though.
>>
File: 1629306639615.jpg (119 KB, 850x479)
119 KB
119 KB JPG
>>2121978
what do you have staked? I'm a stacklet only making $80 a month by staking.
>>
>>2124088
lol 20k in savings, son - that's nothing.

You are an American, you just need to throw the right words on paper and you can be making 120k+.

Instead, you're peacing out settling for $12/hr writing work with 20k savings as a cushion - lol, that won't even buy a car new in south east asia (well, okay, mitsubishi mirage G3 but that doesn't count it's a piece of shit.)

It doesn't even cover a dowry at all of a proper girl either, or is enough money to bankroll some political games you can do in Thaiworld/Philippineland.

And "student loans" lol. Fuck man, wow.

>>2124103
This is kinda me 5 years ago, but 50k in SEA is not "enough."

>>2124107
tl;dr opportunity cost.

>>2124137
lol 35yr old SRRV plan.
Man, anon - your plan is shaky as fuck.
It's doable, but shaky and you know it.

and lol 3 month past chart, okay brah.

>>2124206
would disagree, if you have a good savings cushion not 20k (which is just a million peso) you can just insure and write it off yourself - and medical tourism is a thing. I personally would vouch for Thailand over Philippines but Indonesia isn't so bad. Philippines is consilidating like crazy that'd be make Uncle Sam hospitals and insurance companies blush - "medical city' and "st lukes" for example and the privitization of health care in the PH is both a money maker if you know the right play and a liability in that country because public hospitals are so fucking low.

>>2124335
Yep, surprise expenses, being tied to a hot spot and such are all real things.

2k/month in rent to make 0k in monthly revenue is 20% vs paying $500 to make, $2500, you're paying the same.

You're also forgetting airline tickets, covid times means rescheduling is forgiving but normally airlines LOVE to fuck YOU over.

>>2124517
Nope, be tax resident bascially.

>>2124560
enjoy competing with philippine coom trash.

>>2124656
haha, no that's called 3PL. Done already, 10yrs late to the party anon.

>>2124698
It's a larp anon.
>>
>>2124824
You sound like such a faggot, what's all your money really worth when you have no friends and you have to pay for pussy lol get mad

kys
>>
>>2124824
>You are an American, you just need to throw the right words on paper and you can be making 120k
Alright then, tell us how.
>>
Anyone used Cambly for some beer money?
>>
>>2124088
Dude I'm from fucking South America of all things and my life savings are around 30K USD even if you consider our worthless currency. What in the godliving fuck are you doing with money? How can I have more than a whitoid who probably makes $20 an hour just for being born up there?
>>
>>2124834
Make a gangster rap album. White people do it all the time in Detroit.
>>
>>2124877
They're purchasing vagina by the hour because women are like that here. The rest of the adult industry tries to cuck you and turn you into a gloryhole user, whereas latin countries are still ok with women having sex with guys in a normal way and not fucking with their minds in the process.
>>
>>2124895
What the fuck are you babbling about? I said money and you're talking about women for whatever reason, as if that was the only thing that money could buy. Next time jerk off before posting.
>>
>>2124137
>retiring to the philippines
nonce
>>
>>2124901
Alcohol - $10 USD a day
Fast food - $15 USD a day
Subscriptions to a bunch of random shit (porn, streaming, gym etc-) $10 USD a day
if you’re a poor fag that doesn’t leave much for rent and essentials. Not saying the above isn’t retarded, but it’s how burgers have no money.
>>
>>2124824
god i hate you faggots so much how about stfu if you can't survive in SEA with beyond middle class income for their cunt you are basically retarded
>>
>>2124877
Housing/rent are expensive in the US. Also college and medical care.

So people earn $4000 a month but rent or house costs $1000-$2000 or more and if you had to borrow money at some point that's a few hundred so you're looking at living on $1000 a month for everything else you need.
>>
What's the market like for an American software dev with a couple years experience looking for a job in Russia/Thailand?
>>
>>2124992
>Paying for porn
Nigga are you serious?
>>
>>2124824
You're right but it's approachable for anyone. You must be from a well off family. Most people aren't. The average individual income for 2020 in the USA is 35,000 pretax according to the St Louis fed. Most states still pay 7.25 as the minimum wage. You practically live in a different country living in NYC. 120k a year is not an option for 95% of the continent.
>>
>>2124992
Burgers have no money because most available jobs pay very little. $35,000 a year is about $16 an hour at 40 hour weeks. You have to work multiple jobs or go into business for yourself in a profitable industry and not fuck up somehow or randomly have something bad happen to you. The odds are stacked against most people, especially when you consider even the legal system is unfair. You might get shot by a cop or scammed by a politician and they'll get away with it. The drug and sex trade are options but it's probably going to get you killed unless you're into politics.

Mortgages require a good credit score, which is not available to everyone. Banks and other companies offer predatory lending rates to the average person and it takes years to get over a 700 score. If anything happens then you're probably going to default on your debt. You can pay cash for a house but good luck saving that much at once since you also have to pay $1000+ rent really anywhere plus utilities, food, etc. I mean $1500 a month is bare minimum in the USA for living expenses unless you live in rural Arkansas or something, and it's probably 3k+ in NYC, SF, Denver, etc.

Everything else is packaged and sold as a subscription, especially software.

It's just not possible for the majority of people. 120k a year guy is one of the lucky few or a larping boomer. You can research income and housing statistics yourself and see what I'm saying is true.
>>
>>2124877
How is Brazil that expensive?

Whoever mentioned dowries, those are generally scams. Women run game on guys everywhere. You don't need to pay to marry anywhere, and if you are in some weird social circle that expects you to then I won't be marrying her unless she's a hot virgin teen.
>>
>>2122222
>>
>>2121796
Rolling stone gathers no moss anon. I'm not opposed to uprooting for another country, and maybe another one or two after a few years if I'm unhappy, but living on the road sucks. Find where you belong and stop bailing water from the sinking ship of your soul.

That being said, I'm working on a degree that a lot of multinational corporations are hiring for. I'm trying to launch a true drop shipping business but Alibaba suppliers and others I've emailed don't have the custom product I want... yet. Otherwise I have also thought about reselling generic shit on an Amazon seller account, but that's not really going to pay my rent for a long time.

Truth told, get qualified for a home loan in one of the top 10 growing cities in America. Sell it after three years to get around federal taxes. Put your equity into another home, a rental home, or if you managed to buy in California or NYC, perhaps you can dump 100k of equity into an investment like stocks/crypto and live off 5-10% per year for a little while in a poor country. Ideally, you should work from home from the getgo, your first property should be a rental, and if you can bare it, live with your parents to save on rent while you have someone else pay off your home.

But what you have isn't what counts in life. It's what you're doing....
>>
>>2125180
>Mortgages require a good credit score
You can buy a home without a cosigner post bankruptcy after 3 years with a credit score of 620+. It will be an FHA loan and you will pay PMI but still come out on top...
>which is not available to everyone
Most states have first time home buyers programs for low income where they defer your closing costs to the end of your loan and often pay your entire down payment...
>Banks and other companies offer predatory lending rates to the average person
Rates are literally at all time lows...
>it takes years to get over a 700 score
I literally financed a 5k car and got two unsecured credit cards the week my bankruptcy was dismissed. My score went from 500 to 600 immediately post bankruptcy, and only climbed since paying off the car and keeping my cards payed.
>If anything happens then you're probably going to default on your debt.
Buy a house with a mother in law apartment and extra bedrooms to rent in case SHTF

You're full of excuses anon, NGMI
>>
>>2125281
> I'm not opposed to uprooting for another country, and maybe another one or two after a few years if I'm unhappy, but living on the road sucks. Find where you belong and stop bailing water from the sinking ship of your soul.

Yeah um, anon… this is a thread for digital nomads and remote workers. I understand you clearly have some internal struggles going on, and you think you have the solution for them, and you want to evangelize to whoever will listen… But seriously, read the room. I really get embarrassed by how other Americans insist on pushing whatever they think is the right way to live on everyone around them.
>>
>>2125290
If you do what someone else does, you'll get close to the same results. If there is no universal truth, there is no truth whatsoever.

If you can't read advice from someone trying to help you consider what your life could be like a few years from now without getting offended, have fun in the school of hard knocks. Clearly you have self esteem issues.
>>
>>2124992
My fellow burgers are extremely retarded and have no idea how to handle money. A literal child with $20 in their piggybank is worth more than a solid third of Americans who have a negative net worth. The average american experience:
>move out of parents' house way too early
>go into debt for an expensive degree they probably won't use
>once they get a job 80% of their income goes towards rent and debt
>with the rest and on credit buy dumb shit they don't need like fast food booze etc
>average american eats unhealthy and expensive food, doesn't know how to cook with cheap staples like rice, beans, pasta, etc. Opts for $20 steaks on a daily basis
If you avoid debt and don't leave the nest too early you can be set up very well
>>
>>2125312
Hey anon, that’s great. Thanks for sharing. I think you could give really good advice in the Japan General thread. Why don’t you go check it out? Thanks again
>>
>>2125285
I just went through this. I was a truck driver for 6 years making 70k a year and had a 680 credit score. I had a new car through Carvana but was not allowed to do the first-time home buyer program because my debt-to-income ratio was too high because of student loans. I was told by everyone else they're not supposed to use student loans as a factor and my payment has always been $0. Still denied but I almost bought a house through a certain bank's alternative lending program. I just didn't like the houses they had for sale.

The point of my last post and all of my other posts basically boil down to lifestyle choice. This is a digital nomad thread and I explained how easy it would be to have that kind of life.

You, apparently, want the regular burger buy a house and get a wife lifestyle because you seem to resent other people traveling abroad and seem to think toiling away for high cost goods in anglo land is a better option. The fact that you're planning for SHTF with your wife means you know that lifestyle isn't filled with problems.

I am sure there's a ton of people who don't want to get married right now or even ever. They might not want to have kids, either. I don't want to spend all of my time working to support someone else, pretty much.

Traveling is for me and I can live in an inexpensive country and work a safe job because it's online. I lock my door and not much can happen besides maybe tripping over a cord. Not like I'm going to get mugged in an alley or shot like in burgerland. People don't have guns at all in a lot of other countries besides the police, and crime is often lower.
>>
>>2125349
>continued
The chicks are also hotter and I can just fuck random chicks and date instead of getting cucked raising someone else's kid and working a wagecuck job to pay for all of the loans I had to take to even exist in burgerland. I can rent a place in SEA for less than $200 a month. Even 20k in savings is enough to pay my rent for over 8 years alone. I have income from student loans that I'll also never have to pay because of the FEIE if I start a company there. Student loans are for an MBA, so I can always find a job with my new MBA if I absolutely have to besides the $12-15 online job I have. That's maybe 30 hours a week total working and with university and earning $200 a week plus $1000 a month in loans. $1800 a month in a country where my living expenses are $500 sounds way better than having a minimum $1500 COL in burgerland, more in europe. I'd have to work 30 hours a week just to pay my bills and not have $1300 in savings each month. I'd have none.
>>
>>2124870
I've heard a couple of people swear by it, but to me it looks like a miserable grind. I've heard the way they calculate payment is a bit shady so you probably wont get the full hourly rate they advertise. Networking will always be a better option than shit like Cambly, you can charge more and more easily vet your students.
>t. teacher in an international school
>>
>>2125317
So you expect people to NEET in their parent's basement just so they don't go into debt?

America is DESIGNED to indebt you. A mortgage is debt. A car is debt. College is debt. Nobody has that kind of money besides the top 5% of the population, and they often won't just give it to their kids. There's a reason why the Dems are trying to raise taxes on the rich and other countries are agreeing to a global minimum tax. It's because it's literally designed to keep people in debt and poor so they work the rest of their lives while the rich don't have to. They then do shit like create the adult industry to give single uneducated mothers a job and exploit them for their perverse enjoyment.
>>
>>2125349
Damn I'm actually a truck driver too lol. Going back to school right now after 5 years in the field. Looking at 40k+ debt. Sucks to be us.

>>2125349
>You, apparently, want the regular burger buy a house and get a wife lifestyle because you seem to resent other people traveling abroad...
I don't know how you guys got to this. I'm speaking of a way to make large enough savings to live passively off investments and travel indefinitely. Renting out a starter home IS a remote job. Making 100k in equity off a starter home or two in 5 years can give you enough income to live passively in a shitty country low key for a long time. You won't be able to make as much money working in other countries or from your laptop in 10 years as you would in doing the United States in real estate in a few years with the long term goal in mind... Unless you actually want to WORK for a living...
>>
>>2123045
He's freelancing if he's making that much. It's very possible to make 240+ copywriting. The best way to do it is write ad's and then license them out where you get paid for each letter/postcard/etc sent out, or a % of total sales. You can also find websites with good products but shit descriptions and copy, offer to rewrite the copy for them and get a % of increased sales.
>>
>>2121796
I'm looking to buy a new driving license. my license is from the US but it expires in two weeks and I don't want to go back.

I think this could be easy in South Africa -- anybody know?

I don't want to take any tests, ideally would just show up and get the new DL. I can pay for it (am rich) but if it costs more than $100 then it's more worth it to just buy a fake ID from darknet
>>
>>2121796
This is unironically my dream. I want to live in a big city, in a high rise, with one wall being thick glass overlooking the city. I remote work, and make about $180k, so I'm thinking of moving to Taiwan, Tokyo, or Seoul. I've accepted that I'll never have a partner, which kind of sucks but it is what it is, however it at least opens up studios and 1BR condos better.
>>
>>2125828
You’ll have trouble finding that cityscape in those cities. Tokyo doesn’t have too many high rises clustered together because of earthquake building codes. I don’t remember that many in Seoul either (maybe due to fear of war with the north and being easy targets), and Taipei also doesn’t have many. Don’t get me wrong, those cities do have high rises and built up areas, but not to the degree you’d expect if you’re living in a Western city.

I don’t know about Singapore. Kuala Lumpur doesn’t have the cityscape but does have lots of high rises. The drawing in OP looks like a mainland Chinese city and you’ll need to make a lot of compromises to live there. In Asia, you could get close to it in Hong Kong. That’s all I can think of, maybe someone else has other suggestions.
>>
>>2125845
Correct, all those cities look like a giant mess of concrete shoeboxes. They're all birdshit grey and concrete forever and placed at random and haphazard angles because the streets are 100 of years old and go random directions except for a few landmark buildings. Look at a map/street view of Tokyo if you don't believe me. Maybe less so in Taipei since it seems like a newer city. Hong Kong looks like that too except the island but your views there are weird because all the buildings are placed at odd angles due to irregular lot shapes and their feng shui nonsense.
>>
>>2125413
Thanks for the feedback mate. I have about $1000 coming in passively which is livable but borderline. A class or two a day bumps that to $1250-$1500 until I find something else, which would definitely be handy. Also gives me something to do.
>>
>>2125845
Bangkok does
>>
>>2125814
>You can also find websites with good products but shit descriptions and copy, offer to rewrite the copy for them and get a % of increased sales.

can you show an example?
>>
>>2125858
Taipei is really disordered too, with the bonus that in much of it they treat sidewalks like cities in SEA do (ie broken up to shit and blocked with obstacles).

>>2126171
It's been a couple of years since I've been in Bangkok and I didn't think of it, but google images shows a half-decent skyline.

>>2126172
I assume that anon thinks he has an irrepairable personality or mental disorder, because any guy with a half-decent income can find a girlfriend, even love, if he keeps his expectations in check.
>>
>>2122254
In person at first, then online after collecting clients. I lived in Russia for a while, which is how I made it work
>>
>>2126234
More than likely he's being stalked or something online. I have to leave my Google accounts logged out in order to talk to people without it being porn spam and almost like just one guy gloating about his huge salary and doing nothing at all but shit talking. I might switch back to linux because of this and just degoogle entirely.
>>
>>2126800
>>2126177
It's nothing that unusual, I'm just too weird a guy to be attractive. I think it's not exactly common, but it's probably not that rare either.

>>2125845
>>2125858
That's a big disappointment, I was really looking forward to being in a different country with a nice city view, and I would prefer Asia since I'm a halfu weaboo, so I'll look at Taipei, Singapore, or Bangkok instead. But if it comes down to it, I can always just fall back on nyc.
>>
>>2125858
Singapore is a beautifully done modern city. Sure it has a ton of other issues, but it's arguably the best city in Asia from a purely aesthetic side.
>>
>>2126174
An example of bad copy? That shit's everywhere once you open up your mind. Everything is a product or service. Go get your junk mail ads, and start re-writing them. Offer them to the company on a licensing agreement where they get to use the ad for free for 30 days and if they want to keep using it they need to pay you a monthly price of X. X is whatever you want it to be, a flat fee, a percentage of their marketing spend, they can buy the ad outright from you, a percentage of sales, etc.

If they're paying $2000 to run an ad, and it pulls 40 leads, they're paying $50 a lead. If you charge them $500 a month to use your ad that brings in 80 leads, they're paying $31.25 per lead.

This stuff works best with industries that have really high lead costs and budgets. Roofers, lawyers, real estate, solar, car dealers, etc.

Or you can be really jewish and flip licensing deals. Find a good ad in city A, get an option to license it for $250. Go find a company in city B and license them the ad for $500 a month.
>>
>>2126938
I'm not an idiot, so a city with different races isn't going to filter me. It does smell pretty rank on a lot of streets though, ideally I'd pick a cleaner city, but when you want a nice city-view and a high-rise, ain't a ton of options apparently.
>>
>>2122248
>no taxes paid
Are you just not filing taxes or is there a loophole here?
>>
>>2121985
Under a bridge
>>
>>2128161
He might mean before taxes. There's a lot of legal loopholes in the US but I don't know about Uk and Russia. I mean the FEIE alone would cover that.

>>2127236
I work through websites that pretty much have the requestor describe what they want and pay a middleman, then it lists what is available categorically and is matched to authors based on their rating. Getting top rated is extremely hard. I'm a 4/5 rated writer and I doubt most people would even make 3/5, which pays 1 cent a word.

The other problem is actually doing it. I mean, imagine just writing something amazing off the top of your head about any topic. Now imagine it being grammatically and factually correct, as well as structured according to someone else's standards. It's not possible. It takes a lot of work. That's why I said $12-15 an hour easy but you can make a lot more or less depending on work availability and how fast you are. The difficulty varies depending on each article. I've made $25 an hour doing it before, and also $7 an hour because I got stuck and couldn't find any information to include.

English would be awesome if I could find a good company to work for, but like most things online, much of it is scammy. I'd have to pay upfront or give all of my banking details just for them to rob me. I'd rather do that kind of thing in person.
>>
>>2121796
For those of us who are working remote, where are you right now? Where do you plan to go next?

I’m in Thailand now. I’ll probably stay here until Spring, then go to Japan or Korea (if either are open for tourists) or Central and South Europe.20mtk
>>
File: 1633227946221.gif (1.17 MB, 205x211)
1.17 MB
1.17 MB GIF
>>2124044
>I make more in an hour then you do in a work day.
Didn't realise people unironically cosplayed as Jordan Belfort
>>
>>2128743
L.A.R.P.

you wouldn't understand
>>
>>2128744
Nobody really makes this. This guy is LARPing it up. I explained that it's not about the wage at all and that I made more currently. It's about having an income source readily available while living in another country. He, however, completely missed the point and just made it a dick size competition.

The only people making more than $100 an hour are selling drugs or selling pussy. Nobody else does besides maybe 1% of artists, and it's usually a front for drug/sex sales. Doctors barely make $100 an hour.

15 USD is 500 baht. I'd only have to work 60 hours a month to make 30,000 baht, which is more than enough to cover my cost of living.
>>
>>2128743
I came in earlier this year and I've been getting the 60 days 1900 baht Covid extensions. I don't expect them to end any time soon.

Sucks to be in Vietnam right now, last year I'd wished I'd stayed put there but now I'm glad I waited out 2020 in Japan. What is your visa there? A friend of mine is now on overstay.
>>
>>2128748
>The only people making more than $100 an hour are selling drugs or selling pussy. Nobody else does besides maybe 1% of artists, and it's usually a front for drug/sex sales. Doctors barely make $100 an hour.
Depends how you look at it. I do contract work and often get more than $100/hour but only when comparing the amount of work it takes me to finish the project. It would be more accurate to say I'm getting paid X amount per job, and I finish a job in X hours.

I know some specialists who do get a high hourly rate but it's only for a limited number of hours, like a day or weekend worth of work. They wouldn't be able to get 35-40 hours of it each week
>>
>>2128757
Yeah that's the problem. I used to work 70 hour weeks and only made about $20 an hour, but I was driving around listening to music. The work was endless and easy.

Compare that to building some technical website or app for someone, where I might have to go back and research how the framework actually works or have a brain fart, and that $100 an hour becomes 30-40 because of wasted time. It's also not available to everyone. You might have lucked out with some advanced tech job but the vast majority of people don't, or pretend they do to sound rich and/or actually sell drugs/sex and use that as a front like a lot of businesses do.
>>
>>2128773
I agree. Before cutting the strings and becoming a remote worker, my jobs were $20-30/hour mid-level techie stuff. On a busy day I might have worked 50% of the time, and most days I worked maybe 10-20%. I was comfortable but I hated the routine and wanted to see the world. (And to be honest, fuck exotic women.)

Now I have a lot more freedom but with my IT contracts I sometimes need to spend a lot of my time researching, maybe a day or two before I even know where to start on something short. So I don't even try to work it out to an hourly wage. I sometimes teach English just for a change of pace. My ideal week is only working a couple of hours per day, or one or two busy days and the rest off. This is easiest to do in SEA, which is why after a few months in East Asia or Europe I will eventually return to SEA for a slower lifestyle.
>>
>>2128783
>I agree. Before cutting the strings and becoming a remote worker, my jobs were $20-30/hour mid-level techie stuff. On a busy day I might have worked 50% of the time, and most days I worked maybe 10-20%. I was comfortable but I hated the routine and wanted to see the world. (And to be honest, fuck exotic women.)
This is the situation I'm in now. Need to switch jobs so I can go fully remote but I'm trying to figure out how to use my 3 months sick leave before doing that. Need to get a doctor's note or something. Otherwise I'll just lose it all when I quit
>>
>>2128786
> You can get unlimited extensions without doing the border run? How many times have you renewed so far?
I’m on my second. There are people here since last March on these extensions. They’re just a formality, you don’t have to actually show you’re trapped here because of Covid restrictions. Just write in some wordy bullshit about your plans being disrupted, pay, and get the stamp.
>>
>>2128789
Use an online doctor from the country your employer is located in. Or if the company is in Vietnam use FV Clinic Saigon, they do online too and have a good name among Vietnamese.
>>
>>2128800
It would have to be a doctor in the US. Since I'm young and healthy I was thinking of having one of my parents get a note that says they need me to care for them full time or something. There is a law here that allows you to use leave for that if the parent has a "serious medical condition"
>>
>>2128801
Make sure you don’t have to sign an affidavit stating that it’s true. It wouldn’t be hard for the company to figure out you’re not at your parents and then cut you off. But a medical condition needing time off doesn’t require you be present at a specific location.
>>
>>2127440
>ideally I'd pick a cleaner city, but when you want a nice city-view
Have you considered across the river in NJ? There are high-rises in Fort Lee, Edgewater, Hoboken, etc. It's cleaner than the city, and you get to view the city from across the river. Go Google street view those areas, especially River Road in Edgewater, and you'll see what I mean.
>>
>>2129287
Lol, have you ever considered literally the most expensive area in the entire United States, with a pollution rate higher than China? It's so cool, though, and you can almost see the rich people doing rich people stuff from across the river because you'd probably get assaulted by mobs of private security for being on the same block as them and then robbed/raped by a homeless person. You'd then die from freezing to death because it's fucking cold there.
>>
>>2129290
>with a pollution rate higher than China?
you have no idea what you are talking about
>>
>>2129290
>assaulted by mobs of private security for being on the same block as them and then robbed/raped by a homeless person
I can see that, unlike me, you have never actually lived in either Fort Lee of Edgewater. The crime rate is very low because you have to have money to live there. For that other guy, $180k will allow you to live very comfortably, especially if you're a shut-in, but you'd also have the city close by if you ever wanted to go there.

You must be thinking that every city in NJ is the same thing. Homeless people? I lived there for years and never saw any homeless. I mean, they might have been there, but I just never saw them in the street.
>>
>>2129301
I used to work in Newark and Egg Harbor Township. It's nothing like the rest of America. You might not notice the homeless there but I do because they're easy to spot for me. Yeah, there's some rich areas there but there's a ton of ghetto if you go closer to the industrial areas. Maybe you're a shut-in living downtown somewhere and are clueless to the reality around you, but it's there.
>>
Can you go to a country with very strict residency permits, but low cost of living, like for instance Argentina, taking a 3 month visa.... and then once you are there you become online trader freelancer... and tadaaa you are now a working resident? Does that work, or they kick you out for not working for a local company?

Asking for a friend
>>
>>2129306
>Newark
Newark is garbage compared to Fort Lee and Edgewater. I'm saying that the guy should live in a nice, upscale place. Go compare the median income for residents between those cities and you'll see what I mean.

It sounds like you've been living in the worst parts of New Jersey and now you believe that the entire state is like Newark. There are better cities out there in this state. You just have to look for them. I'm not saying Fort Lee in particular is all pristine, but it's way better than Newark.

Also, there are no "industrial" areas of Fort Lee and Edgewater. Most of the industrial buildings that used to exist long ago were torn down to build high rise condos.
>>
File: dangerfield.jpg (21 KB, 277x400)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
>>2129434
>Argentina
has a 90 day tourist visa which you just renew by going to Uruguay for the afternoon from Buenos Aires and returning on that ferry. it's called a 'visa run' google it.

>>2121796
I will teach anons how to live a digital nomad lifestyle
First of all, do you have US citizenship? then you can apply to flexjobs and get two jobs where you answer calls for Pizza Hut or some shit for $10/hr, the other job answering emails, and now you make $20/hr USD. You can live in the third world for this lavishly.

If you want to try software/programming, then try this: https://learnaifromscratch.github.io/software.html it's Brown university's compressed CS course and you only have to do half of it, then invest time into github writing features or bug squashing for some open source project there is a million of them see this: https://www.codetriage.com/ you don't get paid but that's your resume, so you can get a remote job at Elastic Search, or wherever. Start out with customer support, explaining how some API works, then move into development.

'trading crypto' is a meme and no more guaranteed income than it is playing roulette at a casino. You're honestly better off being an amateur blackjack or poker player than you are 'trading crypto'. If you must trade, then build your own crypto arbitrage bot it's not hard to jack into their simple APIs and then if sell > buy, buy else sell. No rocket science here.

Other things you can do is write documentation, they're always hiring writers esp if native english speaker. Or do customer rep here's an example:
https://weworkremotely.com/remote-jobs/fleetio-customer-support-specialist-3
How would you qualify for that? Read Zapier docs on remote cust service: https://zapier.com/learn/customer-support/ or you get a student loan and just take off, go to free school in Europe. Germany has free tuition for a lot of degrees, research this. Skills pay the bills get some skills
>>
>>2122231
>>2122228
>>2122226
How to get started in copywriting? Like where do you search for jobs? Portfolio etc
>>
How do you deal with not having a permanent address? In regards to stuff like paperwork
>>
>>2130142
I won't tell you because I don't want my sites flooded by competition. The job sucks, desu, and you have to be an American worker through an American IP to even use many of the sites. A VPN will work but if it fails and you get kicked then log in, they will automatically ban you.

Try the freelance boards and build a resume. There's a ton of "work from home" websites with reviews out there. There are legitimate jobs like answering phones and being a remote assistant that are better than writing.

>>2130223
I have one in the states that's pretty much a mail forwarding company. I technically live there and it's the address on my license. You have to be a US citizen and you can't use it on your bank accounts, though. You still have to have a physical address for that and several other things, and they have to be US based. That's to prevent fraud and the like since it used to be extremely common.
>>
should I buy nfts?
>>
>>2130227
>I have one in the states that's pretty much a mail forwarding company. I technically live there and it's the address on my license. You have to be a US citizen and you can't use it on your bank accounts, though. You still have to have a physical address for that and several other things, and they have to be US based. That's to prevent fraud and the like since it used to be extremely common.
What's the service you use? And what's the point if you already have to keep a real address anyway for other stuff?
>>
>>2121796
So how do you handle the visa stuff ? Say I want to chill in Thailand for 4 months and do remote work there, do you just keep on extending the tourist visa or how does it work ?
>>
>>2130800
Everyone does it differently though the way I've done it is just looking up the Visa limitation laws and move around. Why you would Digital Nomad only to live in one country/location is beyond me, it takes out a lot of the fun that you could do and see. With a basic plan/minimal research you should be able to spend a 1-3 weeks in some places, work, move on to something new. Most places have a 90 day limit so I often plan each country to do 80ish days in allowing a 10 day buffer for if something happened. Example, I was working in Japan and a late season Typhoon completely fucked me from my next stop. Luckily had some spare room on my visa, and 3 days later I was on a flight out without needing to explain visa BS to anyone.

>>2130223
P.O. box or friends place back home, I actually keep my apartment since it's cheap and saved my ass during covid. 800/mo isn't that big of a deal to me.
>>
>>2124077
You really sound like an asshole.
>>
>>2127440
>I'm not an idiot, so a city with different races isn't going to filter me
Have fun getting knockout game'd
>>
>>2129824
based, thanks for an actual helpful post instead of stroking your ego like all these "rich"fags

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.