[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/trv/ - Travel

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1200px-Digital_nomad.jpg (338 KB, 1200x1600)
338 KB
338 KB JPG
thinking about becoming a digital nomad. is it a meme or no?
>>
>>2108101
Remote worker, yes. If you're some trust fund baby trying to create a drop ship business with no biz background, then no. And no if you're trying to be a digital nomad travel influecner or other gay shit.

Digital nomad is legit for.

1. remote workers
2. people with an ESTABLISHED online business and not some dirty begpacker who lives in a hostel to "start his online business" but goes broke 4 months in because he doesn't have savings.
>>
>>2108101
It's a meme. You'll pay alot for visas etc.
>>
>>2108101
can you be a digital couch potato? then you can be a digital nomad
>>
>>2108126
>It's a meme. You'll pay alot for visas etc.
"A lot" is a relative term. Also would depend on how much you move around.

If you did 4 places per year, that's just a visa fee every few months. Definitely cheaper than rent in a western country
>>
It's not as fun as you'd think, it's nice to be working with good weather and a view but everyone else in your hostel will be having fun when you can't. You don't want to move too much as it disrupts your schedule and you can't be spontaneous. You also end up working terrible hours if you have to dial into a meeting in the middle of the night.

Essentially, the idea of moving around loads, essentially backpacking whilst working is a meme but if you want to move someone where for 3-6+ months, already have an income and pick a reliable place, it can work.
>>
>>2108101
If it was easy everyone would do it. But maybe you will be a success.
>>
>>2108101
imagine all that fun stuff you do in hostels:
>drink
>see sights
>bang foreign girls
>drink

then ask yourself "how many days in a row could I do that before I am suffering?" ...yea its fun to do for a month or two in a warm place but it gets old fast. Imagine being 40 sitting in a beanbag chair with your mac open in a hostel in chiang mai hitting on the girls lol

pathetic life
>>
>>2108101
you're 15 years too late to the party
since covid, almost any job that can be done remotely has been replaced by pajeets and chinks who'll do it for $1/day instead
>>
>>2108335
Ok then how about live that life for 10 years then do something else
>>
Why would you be a digital nomad with your little begpack and laptop when you can have a room with a desk and chair and a proper computer and do your work from there?
>>
>>2108335
>Imagine being 40 sitting in a beanbag chair with your mac open in a hostel in chiang mai hitting on the girls lol

Thats sounds a lot more fun than what most 40 year olds go through. I'd rather be in my comfortable clothes sitting on a comfortable bean bag with my laptop chatting up girls in the hostel.

You think I want to have some fat saggy wife, screaming shitty kids and drive my toyota to the walmart and pay off my mortgage?

fuck off
>>
>>2108463
>oh hey Ariel! I want you to meet my son Anon, he's home this week from another one of his adventures to Asia
>oh nice Becky, where did he go? what does he do for work?
>he likes to go to undeveloped countries like Cambodia and stay in 10$/night youth hostels
>...y-you mean the ones with 16 bunk beds to a room?
>yes well he's adventurous like that! we're really hoping his ebay Magic the gathering collectable business takes off so we can retire...he can just work from his computer lining up his "clients" with the best card deck that suits their Magic playing style.
>wow...I guess that college degree didnt pan out?
>oh no he never went to college, he spent his 20s 'finding himself', plus side is we have a 5TB drive upstairs with all the jpgs from his trips, wanna see them?
>uhh I think I'll pass.
>>
>>2108463

This poster is certified based and TTT pilled
>>
>>2108466
Judging by how much you care of what others think of you, I’m guessing you’re American.

If you’re happy, by your own standards, then who cares? You Americans are obsessed with one-upping each other, it’s your whole life. It’s whoever can put-consume who. It’s not your fault, you guys are at the tail end of what was a good run, so I can’t blame you. But it’s still annoying to see and holds no weight when it comes to talking real personal happiness.
>>
>>2108466
i want to die when im 50(maybe earlier) i dont want to keep working just so i can fuck off when im old and decrepid.
>>
I think >>2108103 is right. Being a digital nomad is totally possible but you need to accept that there are ways it works and ways it doesn't, and some ways are easier to make it work than others.
I am 22, Australian and currently working towards a 'nomad at will' lifestyle. I say 'nomad at will' because I don't want to only own what's in my backpack, living and working in random places all around the world; although I suppose that is the definition of digital nomad.
Basically, my ideal situation is to own a modest house - in any country - while having the option to travel and take my work with me. If I ever get bored of the travelling, I can always go back to my own home, a lot of travellers don't have that option.
I work in software development, that's basically the number 1 job people will tell you to get if you want to live that way. But I'm not only working in this field because it suits my ideal lifestyle, I'm also good at it, and I enjoy it, and I made some very valuable friends during my previous career in drafting (which helped me get the software job I have now). I think that's an important thing to remember, don't just say you're going to become a software developer because that's the best job for remote work, you should pick a job that you wouldn't mind doing even if you were working in an office.

Focus on becoming an expert. People pay for expertise and experience, and there are plenty of businesses that will gladly let you work from wherever you want as long as you're good enough at what you're doing and pulling your weight.
>>
I've done it before for a few years (via freelancing) and plan to do it again once restrictions largely lift. I've posted about it here occasionally but I'll go into more detail.
>you need to have an established way of making money online before you go. Take whatever you think you'll have to spend at your destination, double/triple it, then make sure you can make that online
>knowing a local before going is a good way to save money and sanity. They can help you find an apartment for a local/more close to local prices. Hostels are often just as expensive as an apartment in a lot of shitholes, or close enough that you may as well just go with an apartment for the privacy and decent work environment. You can also hang out with someone that isn't an annoying pretentious foreigner
>You'll lose your motivation to work when you're already there. The last 3 months I was a DN I had to drink a liter or two of beer while working or I just knew it wouldn't get done. Gotta have a lot of self-discipline
>You want to at the very absolute least max out an IRA (I prefer roth) every year. I wish I saved up more back then

Honestly my biggest regret is not building up enough funds beforehand. Working even a low tier wagie job while living with your parents for a few months can easily last you a decent year all on its own in cheaper countries. It may be more beneficial for you to stick to your likely higher-paying day job for another year or two, save up as much as humanly possible, and then start being a DN.
>>
>>2108472
>I am 22

You dont know shit kid, go to work and find out how shit it is before you embark.
>>
>>2108472
>I am 22, Australian
Have you even been outside of your country, zoomer?
>>
>>2108472
You write like a gay nigger or a sheltered suburb white kid. Get 5 years experience under your belt than post in this topic, zoomie.
>>
>>2108463
based
>>
>>2108466
caring what some woman in suburbia that knows your mom thinks...ngmi
>>
File: 1241243266.jpg (6 KB, 249x217)
6 KB
6 KB JPG
>>2108472
>22
>"Im a good software dev"
>>
>>2108509
>>2108515
>>2108531
>>2108546
Please tell me where anything I said is wrong. Since you guys (I assume) are obviously much older and wiser than me, point out any parts of my plan that you know aren't going to work out and I'll keep that in mind and see what to do with that info! thanks in advance
>>
>>2108567

Figure it out yourself asshole. No one told me when I was 22.
>>
>>2108101
I can’t cope with the fact that there’s all these dudes around me who live in Thailand and have high paying software dev jobs that gives them an amazing lifestyle here. Meanwhile I’m burning through cash as a skilless 30 year old loser larping like I made a lot of money off crypto, but it’s actually mostly just a paltry inheritance.Everyone is making moves, doing things, opening bars, and I’m just pooping money and treading water.

I wanna join the party but I’ve avoided work for so long that the prospect of having to go back to it just fills me with intense dread.
>>
>>2108466
>he spent his 20s 'finding himself'
kek
that's more a girl thing but since men are raised as defective women it makes sense
>>
>>2108576
Nothing is stopping you from learning how to code or upgradng your skills, you little nigger. Since you're in the crypto space you can be a lowly writer and write content for blogs and shieeet.
>>
>>2108470
say every 15 yo
>>2108477
this guy knows

>>2108567
(not the other anons but) idk just work first then travel, why would you try to do everything at the same time and expect a good outcome ?
>>
>>2108576
Become an english teacher like most sexpat whit*oids in Thailand. thats what i noticed with white South African niggers teaching abroad.
>>
>>2108578
>>2108580
Nah I refuse to do this. I gotta just go back to America and work. I can’t hold a job here. I don’t even want to manage a bar. I don’t want to deal with that crowd all day and I don’t want to drown in alcohol 6 times a week. Seems like a nightmare
>>
>>2108576
>I wanna join the party but I’ve avoided work for so long that the prospect of having to go back to it just fills me with intense dread.

What were you doing before you went to Thailand?

The good thing about coding is anyone can learn it from anywhere. But it does take some serious logical ability. If you're more creative then learn Adobe software and do graphic design, its not as high paying but it'll be enough to sustain a decent living somewhere like Thailand.
>>
>>2108576
All those alternatives lifestyle are copium on steroids for the younger generation that can't work and expect a decent life.

You cannot hide from feeling the dread.
>>
>>2108469
>You Americans are obsessed with
And you are obsessed with us
>>
>>2108472
>I'm 22 and a prophet of wisdom, read this essay on why knowledge.
pass.
>>
>>2108579
I didn't explain this at all in my first comment but I should point out that I'm really not expecting this to be something I'll be doing by next year or anything. I know it's gonna be a long process, it's going to be 2025 when I finish the degree, that's just the first step, after that my next priority will probably be getting a house, only then after that can I see myself really dipping in to the digital nomad thing. At the moment, my only priority is getting established in my work and just getting as good at it as possible.
>>
>>2108575
>No one helped me get the lifestyle I wanted when I was younger so no one else deserves to have theirs
Are you happy with how things are for you right now? Does your current lifestyle resemble your past aspirations? Honestly whenever people tell younger people to just "figure it out" without even an inkling of advice, I just assume they don't have any advice to give.
>>
File: fuckingretard.gif (3.03 MB, 498x272)
3.03 MB
3.03 MB GIF
>>2108472
no one cares
>>
>>2108585
Thanks for that relative hopium. The thing for me is that work has to be seperate and distinct from my pleasure and hedonism and so ultimately. I can’t work here. It’s better to go somewhere else and literally have nothing to do BUT work. Although working is torture the juxtaposition could make my coomleisure probably more appreciated and vice versa…perhaps. I just can’t compel myself to learn to code.

My friend showed me literally what he was doing and it filled me with horror. Staring at lines of code and googling stuff on uhh stackoverflow I think whatever the site is. It seemed genuinely horrible. I’d rather do some manual labor and mentally check out than that shit
>>
>>2108609

I have advice to give, but everyones situation is different. I dont know your situation or your personality or the type of people that surround you or what skills you have and what infinite possibile combination of paths that could happen by randomly meeting strangers.

There isnt any fucking advice that can help you out there and dont believe anyone who says they got it figured out. Most people who sell knowledge are scammers and make more selling their stories than actually doing it.

>Are you happy with how things are for you right now? Does your current lifestyle resemble your past aspirations?

I am not the same person I was 5 years ago, now imagine how different I was 10+ years ago. You change fundamentally as a person the more you live life and your definition of happiness changes how you go through life.

Figure it out because no one has the same path.
>>
>>2108746

Try sucking dicks.
>>
Meme. You'll still be chained to your laptop for 40+ hours each week and be too exhausted at the end of each day to do tourist shit.
>>
>>2108776
In my opinion that would be even more horrible when the supposed distractions and temptations are visceral right in front of you; doubly demoralizing
>>
>>2108746
I can’t tell if this is a troll or truth. I never gave this much thought. If your job doesn’t trust you then why are you working for them.

Geez you guys are weird.

FAANG, 300k TC
>>
I just can't get over the fact that still having to do 40+ hours a week and being exhausted after it would just completely drain the fun out of travelling

Or you pull up to your airbnb and it has a 1mb internet connection that goes down all the time etc

reckon just taking extended sabbaticals from work to actually enjoy travelling would be better instead of trying to juggle everything
>>
>>2108103
This
>>
>>2108787
what is TC?
>>
>>2108776
>>2108799
Most "office" jobs can easily be done in less than 40 hours a week. Last year when I was workfromhome I would do less than 30 regularly, taking entire days "off" without anyone realizing.
>>
>>2108874
What did you actually do if you don’t mind me asking. I’m taking autistic detail.

I’ve been a loser retail fsggot and avoided work but I have enough social acumen and, dare I say, charisma to weather some paper pushing office job.
>>
>>2108880
I do electronics research
>>
>>2108880
>>2108883
Btw I'm not going to give autistic detail because I'm very specialized and don't want to dox myself, and it's not a path I would recommend anyway since there are easier ways if you aren't committed to being a full time researcher.

You don't really have to be great socially for an office job. You just have to do the most basic of small talk every now and then. Most of my professional communications are very straight forward and to the point, it's not like socializing in real life. Just be polite and you're good.
>>
>>2108101
Why the fuck everything seemingly NEEDS some retarded name or sticker? Just why? "Digital nomad" is one just another retarded sticker for aimless over-socialized retardcattle to herd themselves into some "culture" so they maybe fill a bit of that endless void inside.
I would even maybe go further. Stickers like these inherently carry retardation with them. You can bet your ass that person who calls himself "influencer" will be shallow consoomer faggot who knows and provides absolutely nothing of value. Same applies to a person who calls himself a "digital nomad". Superspecial name implies faggotry.

You simply fucking work remotely. That's it. Stop being a faggot.
>>
>>2109420
most remote workers are not nomadic
>>
>>2108466
>caring what vapid white foids think
ngmi

also fuck being a digital nomad just be honest with yourself and admit you don't want to live around niggers and get a normal job in whatever country you like the most.
>>
>>2108887
I’m not asking whether you sodder the CPU to the circuit board. I’m saying as in
>I log in
>answer emails
>have a meeting
>”do research”
Etc

But more importantly, did your office just announce they were working remotely or is it something you had to push for or get granted permission for. And if that was the case (it wasn’t simply announced) how did you convince them to work remotely.

I basically just want to mail it in but not be in america and fuck hookers
>>
>>2108335
>pathetic life
Relative to what? Being some wage slave so you can give some pre-owned pussy the American dream, then get divorce raped for your trouble?

>>2108466
This post says so much about you, none of it good. You really need a stronger foundation for your identity that an abstraction of female approval. The fact that you'd pay any heed whatsoever to what your mom (btw where's your dad? KEK) or her NPC boomer friend think of you is truly, truly depressing.

>>2108776
This anon offers the purest, unadulterated truth; if you want to enjoy life abroad the best way to do it, bar none, is to work your ass off for a year or two, resign/quit, and just enjoy life off of your savings. Not to say that year of saving can't be done abroad, just be pragmatic, realistic, and keep your eye on the ball.
>>
>>2109605
>I log in
>answer emails
>have a meeting
>”do research”
Etc

Yeah that's basically it. I just need normal internet connectivity and normal shit like email, web browsing, MS office, etc. There may be some specialize SW I need to use but no big deal.

We went full remote last year during covid shit but now I'm back in the office. I will have to switch jobs to go full remote now. I'm hoping to get a very similar job but just remote. Since I'm well established it should be doable. Still working out the details
>>
>>2108335
yeah you're right, sitting in an expensive flat ordering take out and cooking poultry every day for the next 30 years is more inspiring
>>
>>2108103
what even is an online business, how would one even start one
>>
>>2108469
>only americans have self-awareness
well this is new
>>
>>2108583
I recognize from the backstory that you’re TTT anon. If you have no prospects back in the US you can extend your stay in Thailand by teaching for 30k baht/month. You’ll need to stop banging hookers every day and start gaming girls, but you can do it. If you’re serious about going back home and trying for something better then I heartily encourage that, but I know you’re already black pilled and I don’t want to see you do something drastic once your money runs out.
>>
why do people mention hostel

won't someone steal your important laptop? sounds scary

also I find airbnb apartments for cheaper than hostels advertise. seems like a scam
>>
it's fucking lonely that's what it is
>>
File: 1618215205656.jpg (96 KB, 1024x1024)
96 KB
96 KB JPG
>>2108101
If you aren't married and don't have a girlfriend, yeah you could give it a shot.

Being on disability would be best since you have a stable income, but you have to be fucked up in the head like myself in order to qualify and even I don't want to live in a van driving from state to state living off disability.
>>
>>2111845
Lol my life is already lonely, I don’t give a shit about that. I love being alone
>>
>>2110572
ideally a service oriented one with low upfront cost, trying to work off margin and needing a high amount of capitol to start is usually a recipe for failure if you aren't well off already
>>
>>2108472
living with only what's in your backpack is pretty cool, once you try it out for a long period of time by the time you get back you have almost no attachment to any of your old stuff anymore, it's a good way to help if you have any hoarding tendencies how nice it is to travel around with just a bag
>>
>>2109420
yeah but what if that's what you do, work and just do non-stop traveling, why get mad at a name that describes you pretty well? If it pisses you of I mean I guess you don't have to use it, but I don't see why it matters either way
>>
>>2110572
>what even is an online business, how would one even start one

My nigger, if you don't know what an online business is, you have no business being in this thread.
>>
>>2111842
>won't someone steal your important laptop? sounds scary

in the hostel you have a locker where you can put your laptop inside, my sheltered nigger.
>>
>>2111846
This anon knows.. best plan is get on disability or some other form of social welfare. Even if you have to move abroad its worth it. I moved to a nordcuck country and while it is very lonely its also basically a free ride. I cant afford a fancy lifestyle but still comfy.
>>
>>2111987
but how big is the backpack?
>>
>>2112084
it doesn't need to be big, traveling you only need one pair of pants and small utility stuff
>>
>>2112085
I understand but let's say you rip your pants on a sunday morning in europe and everything's closed
>>
>>2111991
>trusting the shitty hostel lockers
>>
how long do people usually stay in a hostel?

I am looking at them but it's actually cheaper to get a private room from airbnb. so it's like I'm paying extra to have friends...

also in a shared room where do I masturbate and will anyone have sex with me?
>>
>>2112095
>also in a shared room where do I masturbate and will anyone have sex with me?

In the bathroom. Yes they will have sex with you if you talk to them. Have sex in the washroom. Try not to use a condom and creampie them

become 4chan creampie king
>>
>>2112090
also have two pairs of basketball shorts (one for wearing while the pants and other pair of shorts are cleaning) they take up way less space then a second pair of pants
>>
>>2108101
I'm not sure really but all the digital nomads I've met permanently in SEA seem really miserable and struggle for a good couple of years.
>>
>>2108335
ask me how i know you're a slave?

https://youtu.be/jX2l5GdB6sI?t=3540
>>
>>2108103
fpbp
>>
>>2108576
>opening bars

they will lose it all in due time; maybe they'll get lucky and live to tell the tale. as for you, its simple - BUY HEX NOW. as in NOW.
>>
>>2108873
>due to his TC, he's lacking pertinent information
https://youtu.be/LkQJJ8iDmik?t=18
>>
>>2108873
total compensation
>>
File: va-og-twitter-image.png (53 KB, 1200x1200)
53 KB
53 KB PNG
>>2111846
>>2112052

working on getting maximum VA disability. im still in so im trying to build up my medical packet before i get out.

any vets here have some advice? i plan on talking to a disability/va lawyer around the time i get out so the va doesn't gyp me out of my gibs
>>
>>2108477
Adding on to my post here. It's honestly better for what most digital nomads want to do to work a few years in your home country at full pay, have your retirement accounted for (coastfire), have a ~$10k liquid savings buffer, and use reduced hour online work of some sort to more or less supplement your lifestyle in another country. Not completely necessary if you have a stable remote job with a western salary where your boss is completely fine with you living anywhere, but most digital nomads don't have that. If you spend all your time working it kinda defeats the purpose of being a digital nomad in the first place in my opinion.
>>
>>2112338
From experience backpacking in 3 month stretches, I highly recommend two pairs of pants. Not jeans or anything like that of course. You wear through one pair of pants quickly and it’s hard to find decent replacements unless you’re in Europe or North America, or somewhere like Hong Kong. It’s easier to buy shirts after you left home than quality pants. Add a pair of shorts or light track pants for the same reasons you mentioned
>>
>>2113709
Not sure about america, but in Australia you just have to take things slowly and focus on payouts before you to get your highest disability pension. Focus on the easy stuff like tinnitus and knee problems and work your way to more difficult payouts. Take it slow and don't get mad when you every now and again
>>
>>2114094
oh wow, so just coastfire? never thought of that!
>>
>>2113709
Depends on your acting anon and your ability to google symptoms while able to remember them so you talk about it to a therapist from the VA. Ease your way into it and give background like you are writing a character. Remember never to mention you are cured just that you are working on your issues.
>>
>>2108335
Actually, that sounds like a lot of fun. I'm getting ever closer to 40 and dream about doing stuff like that.
>>
>>2108101
What exactly are you asking? Are there people with location independent businesses who can work from anywhere they want? Yes.
>>
>>2114171
In the US you I think you need an attorney in order to get a good result.
>>
>>2108463
>You think I want to have some fat saggy wife, screaming shitty kids and drive my toyota to the walmart and pay off my mortgage?
BASED
>>
>>2113581
same but not sure why. Ive only met a few, one was a guy in saigon that had started a small business and been there 6 years and was desperate to leave.
>>
>>2108463
>t. posted from Pure Body Yoga Retreat Bali while sipping ginseng as yogi kumkum touches the shakras of all the women half my age and I stare on like a creep.
>>
>>2116470
>one was a guy in saigon that had started a small business and been there 6 years and was desperate to leave.

if hes running a small biz he's barely eeking out a living because its a 3rd world

and its bad if hes living in the 3rd world with bad living condition no wonder he would be living a miserable life

if hes making $10K a month or hell even $3K profit a month he'll be happy and living like a king
>>
I just started digital nomading, staying in an airbnb in Valencia for one month before I'll move on. Not doing parties really, mostly eating well, enjoying the beach and tinder for the evenings. If the urge for getting shitfaced comes up I plan to just pay for a night in a hostel and go out with the groups there. Not sure where to go next tho, but I'm down to keep traveling for months, so far it's been great. lifes gud
>>
>>2116519
>t. Chad
Good going anon
>>
>>2114113
Cringe

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.