[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/trv/ - Travel

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Maximum file size allowed is 8192 KB.
  • Images greater than 10000x10000 pixels are not allowed.
  • There are 14 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor applications are now closed. Thank you to everyone who applied!

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: loto.png (282 KB, 1024x576)
282 KB
282 KB PNG
For those of you who have travelled this year, what are things like out there? Is travel worth it right now?
>>
Bump
>>
>>2103253
>For those of you who have travelled this year, what are things like out there? Is travel worth it right now?
I've made a lot of short trips to various parts of Europe, one long trip to the USA, and a short trip to Turkey in the last eighteen months. "What things are like" varies a lot. I've experienced places with curfews, most locations I've visited have had mask requirements, some stuff hasn't been open. And there have been a lot of testing requirements, either imposed by local authorities or by airlines, so if you're scared of getting a swab up your nose you probably want to skip travel for the rest of this year at least.

On the positive side, some places have been practically empty--I got to experience a near-abandoned Parc Guell in Barcelona, which is usually shoulder-to-shoulder overrun with tourists from all lands. I also didn't notice much in the way of attempted pickpockets or scams because the tourist numbers were down so much.
>>
No. It's absolute shit. Can't meet people. Can't have genuine experiences. If you like going to hotels and eating at restaurants and spending money, you can still do that. But all the spontaneous travel adventure stuff is over.
>>
>>2103587
I don't care about the swabs unless they're expecting me to do it before I enter every building. Before planes or whatever is fine.
>>2103598
See, this is what I was worried about. I just want to go stay in a hostel, meet some other travels, go to bars and dance with locals, meet some randoms in a cafe and go to some random place I've never heard of in a city I didn't expect much from and have a blast.
Sounds like there isn't much point if this isn't feasible.
>>
>>2103605
>don't care about the swabs unless they're expecting me to do it before I enter every building. Before planes or whatever is fine.
Oh, and an increasing number of indoor venues, at least in Europe and I think in parts of the US, are requiring vax certs for entry. So if you’re vaccinated you will likely have more options than if you are not.
>>
>>2103253
Southeast Spain in early August.
Most non British euros dont wear masks outside. Had to get the 72 hour PCR test before departure (not arrival though) but I was allowed there unvaccinated.

Wanted to do Italy because Romabu but their COVID policies were bad.
>>
>>2103633
Not concerned about this as long as theres consistency in requirements - don't want to carry a million different documents that all say the same thing.
>>2103643
>>2103649
Thanks, this is interesting insight to me - it sometimes feels like I don't get any real sense of what other countries are doing.
>>
>>2103649
>COVID policies were bad
On the contrary, requiring vaccinations is a great policy. Bad policy would be letting in plague spreaders uncontrolled.
>>
>>2104093
I'm not that guy (I'm OP)
To be clear when I talk about policies I'm talking about policies that mean it's not worth coming for a trip (public places, bars/restaurants, etc are closed, its difficult to get around, everyone is staying home - that kind of thing).
Is that the case in Italy?
>>
>>2103633
I'm living in China right now, but I'm fucking off for good in about 10 months. I've been vaccinated, but with sinovac, which isn't recognized by many countries, which I guess means I'm basically unvaccinated in the eyes of most countries. As somebody who hasn't travelled abroad at all since this bullshit started, it feels like you need to go around getting multiple different jabs to cut down on the bullshit if you plan to travel around a lot. Is this true? If so, what's it like getting vaccinated as a tourist?
>>
>>2103253
It's worth it if you're self motivated and not focused on something as simple as cooming or what not. I've been traveling the lower 48's, just simply easier with everything, been having a blast but often made sure I had some itinerary or gameplan to why I should actually go.

Mexico was okay I guess, going to Korea next.
>>
>>2106316
Brah why would you want to even leave China right now? Its the only country where shit is semi-normal.
>>
>>2106344
>Its the only country where shit is semi-normal.
Non coastal states of the US don't give a fuck about shit and haven't for a good while.
Sweden, Norway, Turkey, Maldives, Mexico, etc haven't given a fuck
Guam mostly gave 0 fucks
Brazil didn't care
SK locked down in the main cities but any US citizen could go to it
Fair bit of african countries US people could travel to never gave a fuck.

Aside from the initial shut down orders, lot's of places opened back up after the initial mandate and just more or less stayed that way. Honestly, the lockdown was the perfect time to clear out your nature travel shit without feeling like it went to waste.
>>
>>2103802
>Not concerned about this as long as theres consistency in requirements - don't want to carry a million different documents that all say the same thing.
My experience is mostly, as noted, in Europe, but I have the Swiss government issued Covid-Zertifikat on my phone, which has worked everywhere I have been.

And although I have heard horror stories of two people with monolingual test results (only in German or French, not also in English as is more standard) being being refused boarding at Zürich airport for a couple of flights (one to Russia, one to somewhere else east of here), my test results (from Switzerland, France, Spain, Italy, and Portugal) have all been in local languages plus English, and accepted without issue at all the airports where I have presented them.

I think the most documentation anyone might need would be both a negative PCR and whatever the official vax cert is. No idea about passengers from places like the States that don’t have an official certification document, though (I have the little yellow WHO card tucked into my passport, too, but I don’t think anyone has ever looked at it.)
>>
>>2103587
Speaking of deserted places, I visited Venice last summer and would highly recommend anyone to do it before the floodgates open to chink tourists again. Venice was amazing to see without the huge crowds and the water being actually clean-ish.
>>
>>2106406
Traveling in Europe is simple if you're vaccinated. Every place now accepts the EU standard certificate that you can keep on your phone. The only exception was when I went to Bongland, they require you to get tested regardless, before and after the flight.
>>
>>2106344
Just been here too long and I absolutely hate almost everything about China at this point.
>>
>>2103253
I've spent the last 12 months travelling
Portugal (Madeira)
The Netherlands
North Macedonia
Thailand
Egypt
Kenya
I travel real slow. It's just about fitness, nature and nightlife for me.
It's a bit of a pain in the ass because every country has it's own idiosyncratic covid hurdles to jump through - that also sort of slows me down. But I'm getting used to it.
>>
>>2103598
>No. It's absolute shit. Can't meet people. Can't have genuine experiences
Bullshit. I was in Koh Samui for 4 months this year. It was fucking awesome, made loads of friends.
Maybe just nobody likes you?
>>
>>2106448
>every country has it's own idiosyncratic covid hurdles to jump through - that also sort of slows me down.
Any examples? Do you mean like quarantining?
>>
>>2106454
>Any examples? Do you mean like quarantining?
Thailand wants proof of funds, covid insurance, onward ticket, accommodation for 10 days at a quarantine hotel and a PCR test.
Kenya wants you to use the Africa PCR approval app, one night's accommodation, onward ticket and a PCR test.
Some of these things were in place pre-covid but others obviously not.
I try to avoid quarantine countries but I am considering Sri Lanka next. After quarantine I'll stay a few months to make it worth it.
>>
>>2103253
Went to Turkey, specifically İzmir. German Turks ruined the entire experience though.
>>
>>2106431
>The only exception was when I went to Bongland, they require you to get tested regardless, before and after the flight.
There are a handful of other countries that still expect negative tests from everyone, vax cert or not, but no place I have been at this point (a lot of my travel was before vax certs were issued, so I had to test anyway; to be frank, I liked flying when everyone had a negative test more than I like it with vaccine certifications, as I don’t want to wind up in a little tube in the sky with a breakthrough infection, less likely though it is).
>>
>>2106462
Sounds like a good idea, Sri Lanka looks fun. I take it you're a digital nomad?
>>
>>2106845
Sort of. I'm semi-reteried.
>>
>>2107286
Very cool anon, enjoy

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.