[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/trv/ - Travel

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

What's the best country in this area to save lots of money living in and teaching english? I'm thinking either Thailand or Vietnam, though I kinda want to travel and live/teach all over the place once I'm in the area. Won't be for a couple more years as I'm still in uni, but I'm wondering where the best place would be to lay low, make some good money, and pay off some of my student debt would be?
>>
>>2060176
Also not necessarily SEA but how is Taiwan? Or even mainland China?
>>
>>2060176
Vietnam.

If the culture shock is too much for you, then do Philippines.

Not enough culture shock? Cambodia, Indonesia.

If you want more degeneracy, Thailand.

More affluent life style? Singapore, Malaysia.

You want to be the only foreigner around? Laos.

Want to have a truly surreal experience? Myanmar.
>>
>>2060176
>save lots of money living in and teaching english?
Vietnam
>>
>>2060176
>and pay off some of my student debt would be
Oh I just read this last part. My opinion is that it's best to pay off your USD debts by earning USD (and by that I mean more than any ESL gig is going to offer you)

Unless your student loan sum is totally trivial (~10-15, MAYBE 20k) I think you should clean it up first before going.

If you're ok being a poorfag and want to have this debt into your 30s or even 40s, just do whatever though
>>
>>2060232
What if he teaches English in UAE? Look into it OP. It's supposed to pay handsomely.
>>
>>2060178
Taiwan is great. All the good things about China but none of the bad things about China

大陆共匪 "mainland commie bandits" is like Taiwan, but worse by every possible metric
>>
>make some good money

ESL teachers make shit pay, with no retirement benefits.
>>
>>2060183
>You want to be the only foreigner around? Laos.
You were doing good until then.
>>
Thailand doesn’t pay much and they hate foreigners. You’ll have to live like a Thai and that means you’ll live around people who hate you
>>
>>2060340
It doesn't pay much because there are plenty of foreigners teaching there, not because they hate you you retard
>>
>>2060183
you will not be able to live an affluent lifestyle as an english teacher in malaysia or singapore.
you might be able to live a reasonable lifestyle by taking advantage of the affluent lifestyle of others. a bit like one of those little fish that lives inside a shark's mouth and lives by picking the scraps from between its teeth
>>
>>2060334
more like only foreigner in the restaurant

>>2060382
yeah, either that or by using some of daddys money
>>
>>2060178
Taiwan is 3 times cheaper than USA, but everything is modern and well-functioning like Japan. Only downside is that it's not as cool as Japan. But quality of life is basically the same but for cheaper. If you can get an American job in Taiwan you will be rich and live a good life. Also the food is #1.
>>
>>2060233
At least from what I’ve seen, you need to be pretty experienced to teach English in MENA
>>
have third world facilities and cost of living and first world pay at the same time by working freelance
>>
>>2060878
Not experienced, well qualified but if you are qualified the jobs are easy to get because no one wants to go to some dumb camel fucking country. That is why the wages are so ridiculously high. That and the fact that arabs are retards with money.
>>
You are going to earn peanuts in most of those countries. No idea about Singapore but I'm assuming that even if you get a job life won't be as cheap.

In China some poeple I know were earning 2000 USD as English school teachers, but having in mind that although you were hired by a school this is illegal and the police could send you back.

Still not a lot of money but surely you can save half of it and still enjoy life with other expats and fucking chinks.

But no idea really about post Covid19 China
>>
>>2060873
How is Taiwan just for visiting?
>>
>>2062341
Pretty good. It's not as exciting and exotic as most other nearby countries imo (maybe just because it lacks a lot of the craziness of China, which was one of the main appeals of China when I first visited there), but it's enjoyable. I don't think I'd recommend traveling half way around the world just to visit Taiwan, but if you're already in East or South East Asia or planning to travel to other countries too, I'd definitely recommend stopping by for a few weeks.
>>
>>2060176
None of them.

Southeast Asia's golden days are finished. It'll be years at this point before these countries are open and when/if they finally do open, theyre not going to be recognizable and will more than likely just be geared specifically towards superficial, empty, Chinese nu-money and bus tours.
>>
>>2060176
I taught, briefly, at a Thai university a long time ago. It is about the best gig you can get in that country, unless like being a live-in servant to an especially rich Thai Chinese family (the drawbacks of which outweigh the financial benefits in my opinion).

I had a very comfortable life. I did not make anything resembling money.

All my regular-teacher friends ran away to do a season or two in Korea every couple of years for the cash. Pay was 3-5X as much and housing/flights were included.
>>
>>2060183
>More affluent life style? Singapore, Malaysia.

are you saying the teaching wages will afford you a more affluent lifestyle? because I've heard Singapore is overpriced as fuck.

Which of the countries you listed has the best wage $$$ to standard of living ratio
>>
>>2060873
Based. I love taiwan.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.