[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/trv/ - Travel

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Maximum file size allowed is 8192 KB.
  • Images greater than 10000x10000 pixels are not allowed.
  • There are 43 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Brazil.jpg (1.64 MB, 1600x1146)
1.64 MB
1.64 MB JPG
Can somebody be straight up with me and tell me if this place is dangerous or not for a tourist? I have heard conflicting opinions of every single side and I can't get a consensus past "its more dangerous than first world countries".
Some people say its fine and if you stay out of favelas and don't walk around seedy alleys in the middle of the night you will be fine. Some people say you will be shot in the head over a cell phone right outside a tourist beach. Some people say outside of rio and the north it is perfectly safe, some people say it is extremely dangerous in every corner of the country.
What is real and what isn't?
>>
yes
>>
File: 400.png (15 KB, 882x758)
15 KB
15 KB PNG
>>2052523
please stop
>>
>>2052520
I spent three months in Brazil travelling all around the country. I did not fall victim of a crime but twice I witnessed other people robbed on the street (without violence, just the robbers snatched their cellphones/purses from the hands).
Besides the general common sense, in Brazil there are two specific rules - do not walk around on Sunday and after dark.
>>
>>2052520
no Brazil very safe. crimeis only crminal gangs fighting eac othr unlike in france where you can get stabbed if you go out.
>>
File: best-charlotte-suburbs.jpg (1.09 MB, 2000x1330)
1.09 MB
1.09 MB JPG
I'm also a fag who is looking at visiting cities like Medellin, Sao Paulo, and Buenos Aires and can't wait to have sex with their whores and my say on the matter is this: every "corner" of the world feels dangerous when you leave the "bubble" you were most familiar with as a child because it is foreign. Even niggers don't feel comfortable in "nice" neighborhoods compared to the ghettos they grew up in which is why they will intentionally destroy a property to bring it to their level. I'm a euro and feel completely comfortable/safe in cities such as Paris, London, etc (although Berlin is a shit-hole, I will admit) - even the Africans and Indians don't bother me as much because I am used to them. Americans who haven't traveled as much and are used to the suburbs (pic related) where everyone tends to keep for themselves however, tend to be disappointed and complain about the smell of piss in cities, "rude" restaurant servers, etc. I was actually really surprised how unsafe I felt when visiting the US for the first time. To me as a Euro, Americans just felt filthy and bloated. In 3rd world countries it's actually easier because subconsciously in the back of your mind, you will always remember that you are in a 3rd world country. When meeting new people clubbing, walking around during the day - just always remember.
But another thing to remember is that Brazil practically has the same population as the USA and Western Europe, so naturally you will never get a clear answer - there are good and bad people everywhere because it is a coping mechanism required for survival in their environment. If you feel unsafe, go visit for a couple days and see how you feel for yourself.
>>2052529
What's so bad about Sundays?
>>
>>2052549
I'm an american arab, I have traveled all around europe and the middle east, many parts considered dangerous because of things like war and terrorist cells. The thing with that kind of danger is that it isn't really "random", and its easy to avoid. Its not the kind of danger you would feel doing normal tourist things or just hanging out.
Latin America scares me because the danger feels random and arbitrary. Like getting killed just sitting at a cafe or walking down the street over something like a wallet or walking into a gang territory. Shit like that would put me on edge everywhere and I would rather avoid it. However, many of the countries I find quite interesting, especially Brazil, and so I have this conflicting feeling on whether or not I should travel through there. I really really hate gang and street crime.
>>
>>2052539
Never again come on this board.
>>
>>2052549
>What's so bad about Sundays?
Everything is closed, streets are deserted and unsafe. It's the same as walking around at 3 AM.
>>
>>2052520
Where specifically do you want to go?

I've been a few times and have covered a fair amount of ground and have never felt unsafe. I was always in nice accommodations and areas (traveling for work) so that helped but never felt unsafe even walking around at night.

That doesn't mean you can't become the victim of a crime or just be in the wrong place at the wrong time but I wouldn't let those odds deter me from visiting. Use some extra caution in big cities but there's so much natural beauty there you're better off visiting those places anyway and there you'll have much less to worry about.

People can show you statistics all day long but that doesn't mean it applies to you.
>>
>>2052556
bullshit
>>
>>2052520
I lived in the north, in manaus to be exactly, It's easy to find many tourists there, and I personally knew people from france, austria, germany and england living there, some of them took the bus, I dont believe they were robbed even once while living there, even though the city is above Brazilian average in homicide rates. And you have to take into account that approx 90% of homicides are among drug cartels. I personally knew only 2 people who got robbed there, and I lived there for about 20 years of my life. I believe it's safe anon, but my view might be biased because I don't go out too much. Try just to avoid showing off equipment in big cities, avoid walking in the streets alone past 10 pm and avoid obviously impoverished neighborhoods, and I guess you will be fine, especially in a place like São Paulo, where the homicide rate is reasonably low nowadays.
>>
>>2052553
I feel like petty crime is both easier to avoid and survive than terrorism.
>>
>>2052520
it's great
>>
>>2052555
cope south brazil safer than ur african shithole
>>
File: a4-3-768x432.jpg (102 KB, 768x432)
102 KB
102 KB JPG
>>2052520
I just avoid brand clothing and walking with any electronics worth more than $100. Avoid Nike, Adidas, and even that Hollister or Lacoste polo shirt that you bought for like $10 in a sale. That is rich people clothing down here (about $200 for them, considering purchasing power differences and such). Id recommend taking like $50 and after exchanging to BRL go to a local clothing store like pic related. Dont forget to buy some havaianas flipflops.

Brazil in imho is safe as long ass you dont bring yourself attention. Given the socioeconomical state of the country, any sale mainstream western clothing brand an any basic bitch $100 electronics draws attention. Why do you think they like to rob cellphones?
>>
>>2052553
No one gets killed for no reason in South America, dumbass, it's not Africa or parts of the US where you get gunned down by nogs for being in the wrong hood and the wrong skin color.
Also, you have to go back, Mohammed.
>>
File: poster_001[1].jpg (18 KB, 380x208)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
>>2055358
Pic related. Killed because GPS told them it would be fine to drive their bikes through a Favela.
>>
>>2055364
jesus fucking christ man... thats pretty sad/fucked up
>>
>>2052520

here's the deal fr OP. Yes, Rio is fucking dangerous but it really depends on what you look like and how you carry yourself and interact with locals. I know that's cliche but it's the truth. If you look like some gay millennial you will be a "potential" target. Not necessarily victimized but they will be eyeing you to start lacking.

Now, if you want to enjoy Brazil and be safe just go to SP and you'll be fine and experience Brazil for what it is. Lots of homeless people but they are relatively benign compared to homeless in Rio. Obv stay out of favelas and you can easily score party favors in SP from taxis and moto delivery drivers. Lots of trannies in SP fr so there's that but you'll be fine overall.
>>
>>2055688
not OP but going to rio and sp for a month in december..

planning on renting a car and driving from rio to arrial dos cabo and buzios. bad idea ? aside from obvious common sense what tips can you offer me to make sure i dont end up like those 2 italians in the pic few posts up?

Hows the nightlife in Rio and SP ??? what places to go or avoid ?
>>
File: 1510380609911.jpg (17 KB, 218x250)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
>>2055358
>Also, you have to go back, Mohammed.
>>
>>2055691
yes, bad idea. do NOT drive! end of story. Not sure what nightlife is like in clubs bc I was there in the middle of COVID but nightlife on the street was fun. even then, be safe
>>
>>2055697
fuck, honestly .. thats convincing enough. especially after i just googled the story of those 2 italians on here. i guess one of them was mistaken for a cop and killed instantly, the other was dragged to the deserted area and left out to die with his buddies corpse

looks like its time to start looking at bus options then, lol. Cabo frio and Buzios do look beautiful AF tho
>>
Rio is an absolute shithole, I know many people, especially from the south, that's absolutely afraid of ever stepping foot into that god forsaken hellhole. You should be fine elsewhere.
>>
>>2055700
you'll be fine esp in SP. you can party. wander around at night. just stay near crowds. Uber is cheap and usually the drivers are older religious men and women. People in SP are like Italians but nicer
>>
>>2055706
i was talking about Rio though, I know ppl in SP so ill be fine there but Rio is where im really starting to have second thoughts lol
>>
>>2055708
i will never go to Rio and have been all over Colombia but to each his own.
>>
>>2055708
also ask your ppl about Rio
>>
>>2055715
they advised me not to go lol
>>
>>2055708
The Rio fear mongering is overblown, it's safer then St Louis, Missouri. I was out at night before and has no issues. Normally you want to just avoid sketchy areas and don't look like a target. Do not get so drunk that you have no awareness. Only have as much money as you are willing to lose on you at any time. I stayed in Centro and walked around with my phone and wallet but i do not advise this, I'm a Brown manlet so I didn't stand out at all.
Buy a pickpocket proof backpack if you want to carry a camera around. Just take taxis and uber instead of driving. It's very easy to drive to the wrong neighborhood and be fucked so just trust locals to not do this.
I expected to hate Rio but I quite liked it.
>>
>>2056016
>Rio fear mongering is overblown, it's safer then St Louis, Missouri

Both known to be violent shitholes. What are you trying to say?
>>
>>2056054
Rio is safer then many american cities it's not some impossible to live or visit place that people claim it is. Tons of tourist flood into Forteleza which is actually a murder hellscape
Rio isn't even that violent. The police is militarized
>>
>>2056054
>>2056068
It's honestly insane how unsafe some urban areas in the US are. I had a coworker who's best friend in St Louis was kidnapped at a bus stop waiting for the morning bus. Some guy walked up to her, pointed a gun at her head, and told her to get in the trunk of the car. After ~2 hours of driving they left her in a barn (probably to turn her over to other traffickers) and when she realized the car was stationary and no one was around she managed to somehow escape the trunk and run for her life.
>>
living in brapzil looks like suffering from every angle, but rio looks interesting for its landscape
>>
>>2056016
bro you said it's safer than StL kek StL is a 3rd world shithole plus you're a brown manlet so they automatically assume your poor
>>
>>2055358
>Also, you have to go back, Mohammed.
This kid is crying at OP like the little pozzed faggot he is.
>>
>>2058255
Rio is no longer on the top 50 most dangerous cities while 3 American cities still are
>>
I posted this on the other thread, I am going to Northeast Brazil in 4 weeks with my girlfriend (Natal, Recife, Fontaleza, Jericocoara)..apparently the most dangerous cities in the country. Will I be killed? I was in SP last year for 7 weeks and nothing happened other than a few sketchy moments

Should I just stay near the beaches near SP instead, like Ubatuba?
>>
>>2052549
>visiting cities
why go to shithole c*ties when you can go to the Andes?

>can't wait to have sex with their whores
now I see, you are a retard and also an incel
>>
>>2059915
can you name your favourite countries/cities in the andes?
>>
>>2059897
Northeast beaches are way better than Southwest counterparts. Can't talk about Natal, but
>Jericoacoara
>dangerous
It is a fucking village out of nowhere and far from eveything. It's a Brazilian hidden gem (despite having its own airport) and not dangerous at all.
>Recife
It can be dangerous. Also: shark on the beaches. Go to Porto de Galinhas instead. It is more pozzed than Jericoacoara, but it is still worth of it.
>Fortaleza
Stay near Iracema beach and use the city to know some excellent beaches in Ceará state. Look for "receptivos", but don't go in those "know 3 beaches in 1 day" crap with the guides who are waiting for suc... Tourists in the surroundings. The only feasible beach in Fortaleza city is Praia do Futuro, but I have never been there.
Beach Park is a very good water park, btw.
>>
>>2059897
What happened in SP? I'm about to go there...
>>
You will literally get murdered the second you step off the plane
>>
>>2061506
So far I have not been murdered.
>>
>>2052520
I haven't been myself personally, but studying the country extensively in preparation for a trip, my studies indicate that as long as you stay out of the Northeastern portion, and avoid the isolated favela's in other bigger cities like Rio or SP, then you'll be fine. SP and Rio also has tons of nice neighborhoods like Leblon, which look way, way nicer and better developed than other cities in Latin America like Medellin and Mexico City, despite everybody constantly sucking those cities cocks. Southern Brazil especially looks particular safe, nice and clean.
>>
>>2062227
Are you still alive?
>>
Go to rich places and avoid nigger.
That will do for all other latin countries.
>>
>>2062227
based

try the xereta sodie pop, pineapple flavor if you come across it
>>
>>2059897
>Natal
I assume you'll be staying in Ponta Negra. It's totally fine. Or at least it was 7 years ago. I even walked from the beach to the Praia Shopping at night with my wife and nothing happened. That was probably stupid. But didn't cross a single suspicious guy.

Don't get out of Ponta Negra by yourself. It's not worth the hassle. Just ask for city tours in the hotel reception. The buggy tour to Genipabu is nice. There's another that takes you downtown, the Reis Magos fortaleza and includes a Potengi River boat trip where you see the sunset having a drink. That's pretty much it. If you're not staying long, just chill out at the beach in Ponta Negra. If you do have some extra days, I would recommend Pipa.
>>
>>2062342
Yes, but there are street tigers here wtf. also still transsexual
>>
File: onca-pintada-1024x720.jpg (149 KB, 1024x720)
149 KB
149 KB JPG
>>2062748
you joke but we have tons of stories about people coming across an onça pintada (jaguar) in the countryside

every now and then one gets lost and ends up terrorizing the streets of small countryside towns as far down as são paulo state, they're usually put to sleep and transported to the wild again

old folks, specially from the northeast and midwest, are terrified of them, and I'm pretty sure I came within one's territory while I was hiking in the iguazu falls national park, heard a growl that sent shivers down my spine, no idea how far it actually was but I goddamn nearly shat my pants
>>
>>2062376
I'll try, obrigado.

>>2062756
I'm probably just going to stay in SP. My landlady told me that the homeless are invading from the country side basically to pillage the city. I saw a few camps on the ride from the airport to my apartment.
>>
>>2062776
Neat.

Tell me about SP, anon. Im deciding whether or not Id like to take a trip there. I tend to enjoy cities like Tokyo, Bangkok, Saigon, Jakarta, etc. Do you think I would enjoy SP? What do you do for fun?
>>
>>2062788
My first full day here I went to Liberdade to walk around. I ate lunch at a Japanese restaurant and spoke Japanese to the owner (I lived in Nagoya). She gave me her contact information in case I ran into trouble. Japanese are the best people on earth imo. I think you would like it here.
I'm from a small ag community in the US, so just being here in the 4th largest city in the world is fun for me. It really doesn't take much to entertain me.
>>
>>2063063
Also, it's really inexpensive. A 15 minute uber ride cost US$1.97. I tipped the driver 210% lol. The Japanese restaurant cost $15 for a large beer, miso, rice, and this plate of Salmon and veggies. The pop and cigs I posted before cost $3. I am used to Japan and US prices so expatting here would be doable.
>>
File: bv.png (2.7 MB, 1849x850)
2.7 MB
2.7 MB PNG
>>2060135
Near La Paz in Bolivia, anywhere in Peru. Pic related.
>>
>>2062776
The homeless are EVERYWHERE in São Paulo, you have no idea. Underneath bridges and the very streets, inside holes in the wall, decrepit buildings, in every park and square no matter how small. Very much like old NYC before they cleaned it up. They're not all crackheads either, a lot of them actually work a steady job, like picking up trash for recycling or even waiting tables.

>>2063065
If you're ever at Liberdade again go to ASKA or Momo for lamen, Tampopo por okonomiyaki, the sunday fair for takoyaki. If you want a good omakase go to Keito (Pub Kei) at Paulista avenue, it's prohibitively expensive for locals but much more affordable if you're paid in USD.
>>
>>2063204
>inside holes in the wall

I actually saw someone come out lol
>>
>>2063063
>>2063065
That sounds awesome, anon. Thanks. How hard is it to get into Brazil these days as an American? I remember it was wide open last year and easy to get into, but not sure if its the same now.

>>2063204
Yikes. Are the homeless people dangerous in Sao Paulo? Is it a new trend due to the pandemic? Or has it been a problem for years even before that? Have things gotten super grim in Sao Paulo from the pandemic?
>>
Friend of mine serves in the FFL, second year in French Guiana. He often goes to vacations in Brazil and he loves it there. But then again, he is street-wise fairly clever guy who can also take care of himself. But he has been praising Brazil for quite a while now and he usually doesn't say nice things about shit, so I guess it's really good in some sense.
>>
>>2063204
Thanks for your recommendations, anon.

>>2063234
Americans just need a negative covid test. I went to Walgreens drivethrough. Free and takes like 5 minutes.
>>
>>2063234
>Yikes. Are the homeless people dangerous in Sao Paulo? Is it a new trend due to the pandemic? Or has it been a problem for years even before that? Have things gotten super grim in Sao Paulo from the pandemic?

It started getting out of hand in the 90's, I think. I have memories of them sleeping huddled together downtown back then. Back in the day psychos used to go around beating hobos to death. Some even got torched alive. Real psycho shit. Not everyone stays in big groups though. A lot will team up with just one or two buddies and settle new territory. Lots of couples. They watch each other's backs. That's because other hobos are the biggest threat to them. Steal their shit, stab them in their sleep, that sorta stuff. The shelters are dominated by hobo gangs, dealing crack and what not, and the employees have to take away their stuff. So the only time they're packed is in the winter.

As you can see, most hobos are in a very vulnerable position. They keep to themselves and try to stay out of sight. Charity vans go around town distributing food and blankets. Some bakeries and restaurants give them leftovers at day's end. They're usually the first and last "customers" the employees see. They don't really need to get violent. Like I said, some even have jobs. Sometimes they'll approach you and ask for cash or food. They used to beg at the traffic lights, but hustlers trying to sell water, candy, etc. have expelled them.
>>
>>2063234
>>2063675
Then, of course, you have the mentally ill hobos that wander alone. They can be found sleeping on the ground in the middle of a busy street, walking in between traffic, shouting at the wind. People stay out of arms reach, just in case they snap. They're usually the dirtiest, stinkiest, gnarliest looking hobos.

And you have the crackheads. These are the only ones that can actually be dangerous. Thing is, a lot of them aren't even homeless. They're in the process of destroying their lives and becoming homeless, but they still have a house. Or they're street urchins, sniffing glue and mugging people at knife point, under the supervision of an adult. You have to watch out for unusual behavior. If they're tripping, they can get violent because of paranoia and hallucinations. If they're undergoing withdrawal, they can get violent in want of money for the next hit. Just stay away from well known trouble-spots for these people, like the area surrounding Cracolândia.

But yeah, it seems like year after year the situation gets worse. Back in 2017 the mayor tried to break up Cracolândia, and that's when the entire city got settled by hobos. Cracolândia grew again, but the settled areas stayed settled. With the pandemic, Cracolândia's the biggest it has ever been, and hobos seem to crawling out of the very walls.
>>
>>2063680
You're scaring me bro lol
>>
>>2063680

basically the hobos are harmless esp if you just ignore them and don't even make eye contact with them. it's a pitiful site in SP but the hobos are pretty much centralized around the cathedral or whatever it's called bc they feed them there.

have walked past thousands of bums and not one even one talked to me. I did see one look in my direction when I was alone and wandering the city for exploration but I immediately looked the opposite way and crossed the street and he disappeared.

In conclusion, bums in SP are the least aggressive bums I've encountered anywhere in the world. Esp considering the massive numbers of them.
>>
>>2052520
garbage country
>>
I've never been to Brazil, but reading this thread it seems very similar to Baltimore and Washington DC which is the area where I live. There are still a lot of homeless in DC who are either on drugs or are mentally ill and can be very violent. As a delivery guy, I'm constantly dodging them. They will scream at the top of their lungs and follow you and swing at you. God forbid if they get their hands on a knife or a gun. Speaking of which, I just witnessed a shooting two days ago in DC, in a crowded restaurant area. It was gang violence and had specific targets, but you can't ever tell in the moment because there is a huge uptick in random acts of violence...in the capital of the United States. A couple days prior to that, there was another shooting outside a stadium and a 6 year old girl was killed. Again, this is America so from what I'm reading here it seems the same way in Brazil. Just use intuition and common sense, don't flash expensive things, don't bother going to favelas just like I don't bother stepping in ghettos in the US. Honestly Brazil and the US are two sides of the same coin it seems
>>
>>2063675
>>2063680
This sounds like many parts of the usa as well, though not as violent. Homeless population seems to be growing everywhere around the western world at the moment
>>
>>2064124
Fuck, we have a homeless issue in California but they don't really get that violent. Worse crimes they will do is things like car break ins. Lots of crazies but they are just making noise.
I was driving to my grandma's house that's near an underpass, and a tent city propped up there a couple years ago. I have gotten so desensitized that I barely even notice it anymore. But that day it really hit me what I was seeing, it's insane. Feels like society is collapsing
>>
>>2062756
>stories about people coming across an onça pintada (jaguar) in the countryside
Not too worried. I’m pretty fit and most animals fear being around me, might be the pheromones
>>
There's graffiti EVERYWHERE. It's like the lower levels of every building that doesn't have a fence around is tagged. Not even this baby photo is safe.
>>
I was told this was the richest man in Brazilian history. Several tents set up to the right outside of the shot. I went to "Fora Bolsonaro" protest today at Paulista.
>>
I wonder if these commies have ever helped all of the street walkers. I doubt it.
>>
>>2064143
hi retard. the homeless problem in California is 100x worse than SP. The bums in LA are fucking dangerous and drug fueled and will kill. The bums in LA build fucking tent cities and shit in the street. LA is done. If you don't live on a guarded mansion on a hill in LA you're basically living trash life.
>>
>>2064479
You're a delusional clown
>>
>>2055358
>, it's not Africa or parts of the US where you get gunned down by nogs for being in the wrong hood and the wrong skin color.
Hilarious. Brazil literally has one of the highest homicide rates in the fucking world.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.