[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/trv/ - Travel

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: budapest.jpg (228 KB, 1068x845)
228 KB
228 KB JPG
Hey everyone. I'm thinking about studying in Hungary for a few years. It's a city just outside Budapest. Has anyone gone to Budapest before? If so, how was it?

My limits:
>$1500/mo
>4-5 years

I want to travel around in that area as well, is it safe for a solo female traveler or will the locals harass me to no end? I keep getting conflicting reports online about it. I do not mean to offend anyone, but I just want to know if its true.
Thank you.
>>
>>1987578
>pic not related
How the hell did you get Bucharest and Budapest mixed up lol

Budapest is a nice city in my experience, but then I'm a bloke and didn't go to the seedier parts.
>>
>>1987578
No, no one on a travel image board has ever been to the most popular tourist destination in Central Europe.

More information is needed. Nationality, race? Solo travel experience? Do you speak Hungarian?
>>
>>1987583
>no one on a travel image board has ever been to the most popular tourist destination in Central Europe.
This isn't about Prague or Germany. Plus I rarely even see posts about Hungary, which is WHY I made one.
> Nationality/ Race
American
> Solo travel experience
Mostly just around the US, like New Hampshire and Maine
> Speak Hungarian
No. The University program is all in English. I honestly don't intend on learning Hungarian too, since its too localized on a global scale.

>>1987582
?Are you sure? I typed in Budapest and this came up as a result. The architecture looks the same as I look through google street view.
>>
>>1987620
Its Ceaușescu palace. Funnily enough michael jackson famously made the exact same mistake.
>>1987578
>is it safe for a solo female traveler
Yes, obviously. Did u just add that to get attention?
>>
>>1987620
100% sure
That's the palace that Ceausescu commissioned.
It's so big that they can fit most of entire Romanian government whilst only using 30% of the building.

Also, it's too flat for Budapest. Pest is quite flat, but Buda is hilly. Great views from there.
>>
it'll be great, how far your budget gets you depends on if you're staying in student accommodation, which is dirt cheap (in the range of $100-$200 per month). If you are you'll have lots of money to spare, if you have to rent an apartment it'll still be plenty to live comfortably and explore a bit but you may need to scale back your travel plans.

as far as safety, Central Europe is probably one of the safest areas on the planet, from when I was there my ex complained about the occasional weird guy or catcaller but I don't think you'd find any trouble unless you're specifically looking for it

incidentally, that picture is the parliament building in Bucharest, Romania. While it's kinda fascinating just because of its sheer size, desu the architecture in Budapest is much better, the Hungarian parliament building blows this one out of the water.
>>
>>1987578
Budapest felt sketchy to me. Night was fucked up. Black tranny propositioned me as I'm walking down the street. Had cops pull over and make me dump my entire backpack on the street. I'm a daily stoner and lucky I didn't have any shit on me. Then some methhead near the train station started screaming at me ran towards me could have attacked me I guess but backed off for some reason. I did not feel safe there. It's a bigger city, I guess and big cities are ghetto shit. During the day there are cool sites I guess along the Danube. It was kind of boring. There are Ruin bars in the former Jew district that attract retarded Brit tourist scum. Outside of Budapest might be nice. There was a cool older American busker playing bass, literally a former studio pro. I talked to a Hungarian bro he told me about some hippy towns outside of the city that were cool. Also on the train to Ukraine there is the literal town Kek. The outside of Budapest part would probably be a great experience as I've enjoyed all th Pole and Ukrainian people and some Hungarians seemed like similar peeps. Go for it but don't walk Budapest at night alone.
>>
>>1987626
>obviously. Did u just add that to get attention?
I added it because women literally have to take extra precautions than men, because of men.
>>1987639
Thanks that helps a lot.
>>1987649
ew. Yuck. thanks for the heads up.
>>
Never had so many blowjob offers or people to try and sell me cocaine as in Budapest walking around at night, and this was in the fancy city center. Once you leave the center theres people living in makeshift camps or sleeping on the sidewalk
>>
budapest is perfectly safe lol.
>>
i lived in budapest for 6 months and i never experienced any bad things, and i walked through the city after midnight more than often.

if you're scared just get a taxi to get home after drinking, theyre cheap as shit anyway.
>>
>>1987578
Incredibly fucking safe, like most of central Europe.

Hungarians are generally pretty friendly, especially the students that you'll run across- they've nearly always been nice in my experience.
>>
>>1988123
>I added it because women literally have to take extra precautions than men, because of men.
Youre far more likely to get raped by a family member than a stranger. Do you take precautions when youre at home with your brothers/dad? Do you barricade your door at night and sleep with a gun under your pillow?
>>
>>1987578
>$1500/mo
Will provide for comfy living and travel. You can get a nice apartment at around 600 USD even in Budapest. Significantly less if outside of capital (and very cheap if you stay on campus).
Hungary (incl. Budapest) is very safe, you'll have no problems, no worries, ppl are pretty friendly.
>>
>>
>>1988274
>Youre far more likely to get raped by a family member than a stranger. Do you take precautions when youre at home
Take a look at this big brain right here
>>
>>1987578
>Hey everyone. I'm thinking about studying in Hungary for a few years
You're clearly an utter uncultured and untraveled retard, you'll be a perfect fit provided you stay in Budapest (and not Bucharest, you mongoloid).
>>
>>1988345
definitely not a thing these days, but they used to close that bridge a few times a month just to let people come, hang out and drink. Great memories sitting halfway up one of those supports drinking some shitty palinka and talking to some guy with a saxophone
>>
>>1988416
Yeah, hope the rooftop bar will reopen for summer. The bridge will be closed down for reconstruction
>>
File: Szabihid_1_1920px_min.jpg (377 KB, 1920x1080)
377 KB
377 KB JPG
>>1988416
that's the Liberty bridge you're thinking of
>pic related
>>
>>1988123
>women literally have to take extra precautions than men, because of men
Name 3 precautions you have to take for your safety that men don't.
>>
>>1989489
>Name 3 precautions you have to take for your safety that men don't.
Going out at night
Taking a taxi alone
Drinking too much
>>
>>1989626
wow Men are terrible. How can I be better?
>>
>>1989644
have sex
reassignment surgery
>>
>>1989648
Have Sex? Ok
Reassignment Surgery? Reassignment of what?
>>
File: 3_v.png (29 KB, 963x640)
29 KB
29 KB PNG
>>1989626
>Going out at night
Being a pussy isnt gender specific, you can be as afraid of the dark as you want, though both genders should be doing bare minimum keeping an eye on their stuff and shifty characters.
>Taking a taxi alone
Same applies as above
>Drinking too much
SAME. APPLIES. AS. ABOVE.
Men are much more likely to face violence at any time though, so if anything, you can relax more than the rest of us.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.