[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/trv/ - Travel

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Maximum file size allowed is 8192 KB.
  • Images greater than 10000x10000 pixels are not allowed.
  • There are 44 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

How the fuck do I move to Japan at 34 years old with 2 degrees and over 30k in the bank?

The weather, news, politics, women and England can get fucked.

Anyone made the move and what hoops do I need to jump through.
>>
>>1987391
Do you speak Japanese? have you even ever visited Japan? Animetards are really something else... Guess what, things are shit in Japan too. Perhaps not as bleak as Glasgow, but still shit.
>>
>>1987391
>34 years old
maybe try growing up a bit first. you sound like a whiny manchild. you don't have the attitude to get along in japan.
>>
>>1987393
Been to Japan 5 times. Not a weeb. Anime is for absolute dregs of society. Speak a little Japanese..
>>
>>1987402
And you made this judgement call from my op? I'm assuming you are younger than me and just shit posting to look hard.
>>
>>1987408
Honestly if you have such weird escapist pipe dreams at 34 you should visit a shrink.
You need to be honest with yourself on what you're looking for, which usually is a woman. Nothing stops you from moving to Japan in the next year and getting yourself a Japanese woman if you can, perhaps it's time to try it because you're fucking 34 and time is running out. Perhaps it will be good for you. Perhaps not. But you don't sound capable of handling the realities of actually moving across continents.
>>
>>1987391
>34, only 30k in the bank and looking to move to asia
fucking hell what went wrong in your life to be in this situation?
>>
Find a job and apply for a visa? What your degree in?
>>
>>1987391
You sound like a complete and utter manchild
>>
>>1987391
Just go to their embassy website and sign up for the "Incel Exchange Programme". They are begging for foreign failure incels to come to their country and creepily try to hook up with one of their women.
>>
>>1987422
kek
>>
>>1987409
>And you made this judgement call from my op?
yeah, i did
>I'm assuming you are younger than me and just shit posting to look hard.
nope, i'm an oldfag. but when i was 34 i wouldn't have posted a whiny wah wah i want to move to japan post on fucking 4chan. i had more money than you, too.
you want the real answer? get a job in the uk with a multinational company that has offices in japan, tell everyone how much you love japan, watch the internal jobs board for jobs located there, apply for a secondment there.
>>
>>1987413
Have you lived in Scotland before? It's 3rd world here and getting a job that pays is like winning the fuckin lottery
>>
>>1987432
so stop being such a bitter sod and spend some of that £30K on a train ticket south. get a job with a decent company. you said you've got two degrees, unless they're in media studies or postmodern philosophy you should be able to get a job anywhere in the uk
>>
>>1987391
It will be difficult at 34 unless you have a skill they want. I can understand you frustration with UK society, sorry to tell you mate but Japan is only a little better, it's a sort of "grass is greener" situation where you don't get the news about poverty, politics, etc because you are on the other side of the world. If you are anything like me, I would actually recommend a quiet spot in Australia or NZ and then you can take long holidays all over Asia. But again, you need to have skills they want.
>>
>>1987391
Do the JET program. If you have a degree and speak english you are elligible
>>
>>1987449
>sick of the UK because it's the decaying shell of a former empire ruled by geriatric war criminal nonces
>Decide to move to Japan
>>
>>1987449
Cheers for a normal reply. I have skills and can easily integrate. Worked in Asia before but wanting to move properly to Japan. Its that way the grass is greener yeah... But I'd rather be blind to politics in another country than have it rammed down our throats 247365.

NZ is an upmarket Scotland... Actually a good shout
>>
>>1987550
>Do the JET program
Think this is more aimed at people fresh out of uni not literal and unironic boomers
>>
>>1987645
I started at 28. It’s easy mode for people from English-speaking countries just looking to get a foothold in Japan legally.
>>
>>1987651
Teaching English in Japan? You went at 28. What was it like and you are still there? What Prefecture?
>>
>>1987391
don't listen to these retards OP you are doing well for your age esp in this current SCAMdemic. Whatever you decide do it sooner than later. I'm sure you can get into Japan somehow and even if you have to be a white monkey ESL teacher at least you'll be a white monkey in Japan. Make sure you get that shitty TEFL certificate everyone downloads kek. Try to save, invest wisely, and you'll be fine. I've only got a few more years in this US shithole and if things don't at least start to change for the better I'll be headed to Japan bc why the fuck not?
>>
>>1987391
First of all it's fucking closed. But if it wasn't you literally just pack your bags and go and live off of your 30k and try to find a source of income or go broke eventually and move back.
>>
>>1987700
Thanks anon. I didn't think I was doing too bad. People who think 30k (with no debt) is a personal achievement.

Yeah I have TEFL from years ago. Life grabs u by the balls and time catches you out. 10 years of work experience later and I'm certain Japan is the place for me.

Good luck with your plan. Don't know where you are in the US but couldn't be worse than Glasgow
>>
>>1987711
Why do you hate Glasgow so much? Im from Edinburgh and its been a pretty decent place every time ive been. Way worse cities in the UK i think.
>>
>>1987408
>Speak a little Japanese..
>>1987598
>I have skills and can easily integrate
if you don't speak japanese reasonably fluently you're not going to "easily integrate".
i worked in japan for a while and i had a translator.so i could get by but then i wasn't there long-term.
>>
>>1987700
any tips for learning japanese , motherfucker? I started like a month ago, and I know all the writing systems well, except for kanji. hoping to get a headstart.
>>
>>1987391
teach English
but you missed the boat by like 10 years. the industry's gone to shit ever since they started letting Filipinos teach English about 5 years ago.

that's literally it.
if you want other jobs in Japan your options are
>maybe becoming a low-paid office drone that works 60 hours a week if you have STEM degrees and N2 Japanese
or
>teaching English long enough to get residency or get married. then opening up your own bar.

that's it.
>>
>>1988100
THIS. This is the same trap all people who migrate to meme countries fall into, thinking they will be able to live like a local when the truth is they will face extreme discrimination in the job market and have to scrape by in poverty if able to stay there at all.

The Anglosphere is unironically the only part of the world that treats foreigners as equals in employment. It's the unfortunate truth for the natives of Anglophone countries that they are destined to only ever give and can never take.
>>
No specific advice here, all I'm going to say that where there is a will there is a way.

If you're legitimate about this and you're committed to making it happen, like anything in life, you can do. You sound like you have the material resources needed to do something like that, it's not like you're an immature anime teenager at 18 is sick of his parents and wants to move to Japan next year with no money in the bank.

Just look at all of the African and Muslim migrants into Europe. Now I'm not saying you are or should be anything like them, but it's just part of my point. Coming from a third-world country, finding a way to make it over, get housing, get educated, it just goes to show that when you're committed you can make it happen. Hell, I know a lot of them have had easy routes in led by certain governments, but a lot still haven't. They've toiled backwards and forwards before finding a way to make it work.

As a Westerner with a degree and financial resources you have no fucking excuses. Either you get to work in making this kind of thing a reality, or you keep it in the back of your mind, never act on it and wither away and die. Not joking, because it will happen. Either that or you'll be 50 before you know it, look and sound like a boomer that nobody gives a shit about and your life is effectively over anyway.

All I'm saying is do your research. Get your ass on the horse and stop fucking around with it. If you want to make it happen, I mean genuinely, you can do. If you're not serious about it then just don't bother at all because you're wasting your own time.
>>
>>1988198
They live off welfare and crime. The situation is not comparable, not comparable at all.
>>
>>1988202
Go to any ethnic area in any major city in Western Europe and you'll find huge swaths of areas with businesses/cafes/stores/restaurants run exclusively by immigrants.

I'm not even saying their situation is comparable, I'm saying there are a lot of people in SIGNIFICANTLY worse off situations who do manage to make it work and end up comfortable as fuck. For example I know a load of Kurds in my city, they're definitely not rich or wealthy in their own countries but they've made it to Europe, obtained visas, work hard in jobs and save up their money and now they live pretty well, far greater than they would in their own nation.

My point is that the simple fact that you're intelligent enough to read through the options available to do you and do some research on it properly is a major advantage alone. Then you've also got education, money, etc etc. You're in an excellent position and if you have this defeatist mentality you're never going to make it anywhere.

Again, just to make it clear. If you want to cry about muh circumstances, whinge about how it's never going to happen, then just fuck off and rot where you are. You're NGMI. It's over. Don't even bother asking questions because you've made up your mind.
>>
>>1987391
hi ben
just come to nz cuz
>>
>>1988203
>run exclusively by immigrants
Exactly, foreigners are the only people in these countries who are given privilege of ethnic discrimination when they hire for jobs.
>>
>>1987410
> escapist pipe dreams
The guy wants to move, not get isekai’d to a magical kingdom.

Honestly, what is wrong with you people? This board has the most bizarre opinions.
>>
>>1987391
>over 30k in the bank

I don't get it, is 30k supposed to be a lot?
>>
>>1988250
Nope, not at all, but it's far more liquid cash than the vast vast majority of adults have even in most first world countries.

Stop larping
>>
>>1988258
"liquid cash" maybe. but at 34 you should be at least be starting to think about long term investments, retirement planning and so on.
what else do you have- property, pensions, stocks and shares, etc?
moving to another first world country permanently costs money and you will need some kind of back up plan for when it all goes horribly wrong
note, drinking yourself to death on buckfast is not a retirement plan
>>
>>1988258
That sounds like a cope desu. If you're moving to another country you would likely be liquidating all current assets anyway.
>>
Whats wrong with Glasgow? I'm considering moving to Scotland from Canada in the next few years but looking to live somewhere more rural.
>>
>>1987711
>>1988258
Assuming you started working at 22 (very generous) that's like 2.5k of savings a year. I'm 22 and have made more than 10x that from crypto in the last year. What the fuck are you doing with your life, anon?
>>
>>1987418
>manchild
This is how most men from the UK behave
>>
>>1987449
You do realize the only reason why this guy wants to live in Japan is to fuck Japanese women and eventually settle down with one
>>
>>1987422
I mean with their rapidly aging population...
>>
>>1988764
>have made more than 10x that from crypto in the last year.
Talk to me after the crash and tell me about your bags
>>
>>1988816
If it drops 90% from here I'll still have more money than OP
>>
>>1988818
Good for you kid, if you're not larping
>>
>>1988770
I'm not interested in shaggin anyone, it's the lifestyle, cleanliness, vibe, living standards and options I want. Scotland is put on a pedestal as if its this magical place. Reality it's full of junkies/pakis/hand'me'outs and alcoholics.
>>
>>1988764
There's a difference between having real money and virtual money. Anyone who says they have millions on crypto... Cash it out then and talk to me. Was hard enough trying to withdraw 100 from my coinbase account nevermind thousands.

I was in uni until 23 and finding a job when the market crash was near impossible. You actually have to spend money to live so having around 30k in assets and 30k in the bank with no debt is more than the majority up here.

It's folk that live this fantasy world who are mortgaged up to their eyeballs with a fancy house and renting a BMW to fit in...that's not me. No ties, no debt, set up ready to go and I have larpers telling me how iv got hardly anything ....
>>
>>1988266
>>1988293
Fucking retards contributing to the rat race. 30K liquid is good (+ no debt & two degrees pshh). It will help him achieve what he wants to do and mentioning it is relevant context. Good job OP.
>>
>>1988905
Based OP some Scottish humility and real talk there
>>
>>1988916
>Fucking retards contributing to the rat race.
eh? what?
>30K liquid is good
and once he's spent it, then what?
>>
>>1988918
Based bro gets based response
>>
30k cash and no debt is not bad at all. Better than all the people who are in debt.
>>
>>1988236
I think it's a variation on the usual /trv/ theme of people being "old" at a very early age (usually between 25 and 30)
>>
>>1988958

I think it's because most of these guys are young Zoomers.

I was on /lit/ and thread revealed that the average user was college aged. I'm guessing the same is true for /trv/.
>>
>>1988905
>There's a difference between having real money and virtual money. Anyone who says they have millions on crypto... Cash it out then and talk to me.
No, you're just a delusional boomer. I can more easily transfer money or receive a loan with my "virtual money" than you can with your inflationary toilet money in the bank.
>>
>>1987391
>Over 30k
Ummm that’s not a significant amount at all.
>>
>>1987391
>34 years old
>only 30k in the bank
why are non-americans like this
>>
>>1987391
OP what the fuck are your degrees that you can't leave Glasgow to go to London to get good money? Glasgow is a great city, and personally have a good job plus money there, but wtf are you doing so wrong?
did you go to fucking Reid Kerr for your degrees or something? would make sense why you're so retarded
>>
I heard Japanese goverment recently released a guide for foreigners how to migrate and get a job in IT sphere in Japan. Can someone find it? I don't know moonspeak.
>>
>>1989680
>Dude just move from a 95% white city where a house costs 100k to a 40% white city where a house costs 800k
>>
>>1989675
Why do murikuns that spout shit online get debunked so easily?
>>
>>1987391

I did last November. Wanted to in summer but obviously covid stopped it. Was going to use a working holiday visa at first but had to get a student one from a language school as the WHV was cancelled due to covid.
Gotta say despite settling in and seeing reality im enjoying life much more here than uk culturally. Once my japanese improves from school i’ll also be making some more japanese friends too. I only miss UK banter.

Dont miss the news, life, media, women etc at all. You can live comfortably as a single guy on like 20k GBP a year if you rent a small room outside central Tokyo.
Fortunately i retired from investments. Cant say what its like to work here but I imagine it’s worse than The UK to he honest. Work culture here is absolutely cancer
>>
>>1989945
wages are better in london, but still doesn't answer why he's got 2 degrees and not a good job in glasgow. plenty of tech/finance/whatever jobs that he could be rolling in money with, or at least have saved more than 30k lol
>>
>>1987550
>If you have a degree and speak english you are elligible
He's from Glasgow. They dinae speak anglish thayar
>>
What are your 2 degrees in and what sort if career do you have? I've lived abroad half my life but nobody can tell you shit without some background info
>>
>>1987391
>How the fuck do I move to Japan at 34 years old with 2 degrees and over 30k in the bank?
Just apply to any eikaiwa or jet. They'll take you.

I'm 25, have three degrees (two B.A.s and an M.A. if that counts as three, not two), barely anything in the bank, and I just landed a good entry job with a major eikaiwa and ship out in the summer. They literally are setting me up with a cheap, semi-furnished apartment (which I assume will be very shitty, but hey, it's a roof with a bed!) and are going to pay for the fucking plane ticket to get there. It's really not that hard at all, it just takes a couple of months to go through the process. The requirements are simple and easy:

1. Be a westerner, preferably non-asian, who speaks english good
2. have a four year degree in literally ANYTHING (and I mean ANYTHING, from chemistry to african american studies, it really does not matter, they do NOT give a shit)
3. have patience and apply

You'll get it. Just keep applying to different eikaiwas on gaijinpot until you snag an okay one. Steer clear of Heart corporation though. Everyone that works their hates them, and half the time they have you working their illegally without getting you a proper work visa, so you can get fucked if you want to keep working in Animeland after your contract is up.
>>
>>1988995
>I'm guessing the same is true for /trv/.
actually this is blatantly obvious for everyboard on this gay ass site. It's literally always been this way. Oldfags are the minority. Most people (i.e. not you) grow up and move on with their lives when they become semi-successful.
>>
>>1990761
>who speaks english good
>>
I'm not really sure why everyone is insistent on shitting on the OP. Even trying to give OP 'advice' on where he should be.

Life is not a linear track that everyone follows. Nor is everyone required to conform to the social contract of society when society has betrayed that contract.

Maybe answer his question, rather then being pieces of shit.
>>
>>1987449

Why would it be difficult at 34? He's not 74. Also, how do you know what skills they want in Australia? Seems like they let a shitload of muslims and Chinese in.
>>
>>1987422
I can't find that section. What's it under?
>>
>>1987912
I get it, sometimes you just need to go somewhere different. I'm from Canada, Toronto to be exact, and when I hear my Italian friend or Irish friend say, yeah I want to live in Canada! I think what the fuck? Why? I've been here all my life, I'm reminded of my failures and pains, it's just my family is here so I stick around. I see the appeal of moving to a place where the culture is foreign and you can't understand people, it removes you from the minutiae or life. When I was traveling, I finally felt comfortable, I loved being in a place I didn't know anyone or have any reminders of my past life. It's different for everyone, but for some people they just need to get the fuck out. I wasn't born in Canada by choice, I really dislike it, when I can move to Mumbai, Singapore, Tapei, Saigon, Bangkok...I will. When I see Indians that have moved to cold shitty Brampton, I think to myself there is no way this place is better than a one room house in a backwater in Kerala. Why would would you leave that?
>>
>>1988198
positive bro is positive
>>
>>1988198
>Hell, I know a lot of them have had easy routes in led by certain governments, but a lot still haven't. They've toiled backwards and forwards before finding a way to make it work.

Shit, my friend in my program is 35 and he had to escape from Eritrea. The government there stole his prime years. The army does conscription and keep your passport, after 10 years he realized they were never going to let him leave so he left via Sudan which was having a civil war, his cousin went to Europe via boat. Fucking hard life man, while me and my friends were partying it up he was debating doing that. Some people like me had it too good.
>>
>>1988227
Yeah, because a lot of Europeans want to work in cornershops and kebab stands.
>>
>>1988266
probably will start that at 45. I'm retiring in Thailand.
>>
>>1987391
glasgow...seems nice
>>
>>1990804
Congrats, you found the joke.
>>
>>1990763
I'm CTO of a startup, spend much less time here now than 15 years ago, visit boards like /trv/instead of /b/
>>
>>1987391
>The weather, news, politics, women and England can get fucked.
What's wrong with British white women?
>>
>>1991247
>I wasn't born in Canada by choice, I really dislike it, when I can move to Mumbai, Singapore, Tapei, Saigon, Bangkok...I will. When I see Indians that have moved to cold shitty Brampton, I think to myself there is no way this place is better than a one room house in a backwater in Kerala. Why would would you leave that?
How do you know about backwaters of Kerala? Have you travelled to India or saw it on the internet? Don't move to India at all, I have been there, South East Asia or Japan or South Korea is a much much better option.
>>
>>1987410
>from moving to Japan in the next year and getting yourself a Japanese woman if you can,
What makes you think, he will get a Japanese women? Japanese women usually date/marry their own Japanese men.
>>
>>1991947
I’ve been to India twice, both extended trips. I didn’t just pull that out of the air.
>>
>>1991953
You could say that about any country you goof. What is a country where women don’t usually marry their own men?
>>
>>1991947
Where did you go?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.