[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/trv/ - Travel

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Flying to Austin, TX this week.
Gonna see some of the major cities there: Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, Waco, etc.
Roadtripping with gf back up to New York over the following weeks.
Most likely following the coasts at least as far as Louisiana. Pic related is basically what we have in mind (not precise).

What’s there to see along the way? Anything particularly cool within a day’s drive from our planned route? We both wanna see Confederate/Civil War stuff but open to anything really cool that we’d likely never get to see again.
>>
>>1984521
New Orleans, Savannah and Charleston are all worth a pit stop. The Okefenokee Wildlife Refuge in Georgia is also a must.
>>
I agree with reply anon; New Orleans, Savannah, Charleston.

If you wanna veer off the path, there's the Great Smoky Mountains National Park and Nashville. Atlanta is a big fun city too.

South Texas has some cool spots-- South Padre, Boca Chica, Big Bend National Park, lots of caves.

Personally I'd skip Dallas. Its one of my least favorite metro areas in the state. Its nothing but suburban sprawl and chain restaurants. Its too cosmopolitan to have any Texas charm and too generic to be interesting. Its not a bad city, but it's largely forgettable, especially against Austin, Houston, San Antonio.
>>
>>1984771
I wanna see where Kennedy was shot.

Also I should mention I’m not a drinker so this is less about city partying and more about museums, national landmarks, natural wonders, and generally anything that doesn’t look like sub/urban New York.
>>
>>1984814
Ok lol do what you want, but I agree that Dallas is a waste of time. So is Waco.
If you want cultural difference from New York don’t go to museums or even national landmarks, go to small towns. I can recommend a few near Austin if you want.

For example in Texas I would drive from Austin to Fredericksburg, then Fredericksburg to San Antonio passing thru luckenbach. Then San Antonio to Houston stopping at the painted Czech churches on the way. Then onwards to NOLA. That would be way cooler than wasting time driving up I35 to Dallas or Waco. That is the most boring drive in Texas.
>>
>>1984864
This, I could understand Dallas, but why waco? Unless baylor has a game going on (which who cares), why go there?
>>
>>1985398
>gee, what ever happened in WACO?
Some people are interested in history anon
>>
>>1986432
This. Gonna pay my respects.
>>
>>1984814

I live in Dallas. The 6th Floor Museum is pretty cool, but the actual shooting site is a shithole. It's swarming with crackheads who all claim that they were there when he got shot, and will tell you their story for a few bucks. Lots of conspiracy theory wackos running around handing out brochures and yelling at crowds.

It's really tasteless too, there's a giant X painted in the middle of the street where he actually got hit and people take pictures with it and block traffic. The city erases it every couple months and someone just goes and paints a new one.
>>
>>1987191
Trust me I pulled up to where it happened and it’s fucking boring. It’s just a gate with fields around and a new church there. Creepy vibe. Enjoy your meme trip, not sure why you would ask for advice and then reject it because you need to see the spots where meme historical conspiracy events happened.
>>
>>1987627
Meanwhile there is a lot of actual history that is more low key and interesting happening all over Texas. But go ahead and spend your trip driving in traffic up and down I-35 for your meme destinations.
>>
>>1987627
I said I was going to those places and was open to other suggestions, if you’d read my original post.
>>
>>1987885
OK, since you want to go to gay shit like that I recommend you go visit NASA in Houston and the National WW2 Museum in NOLA. And battleship USS alabama on the way out
>>
>>1987924
I don’t drink and I’m with my girlfriend. I’m not looking to band tranny hookers on the back alleys of Baltimore, my guy. Be constructive or just shut the fuck up.
>>
>>1987940
*bang
>>
I guess tangential to this thread: I'm thinking of spending a weekend down in Austin in May or June. Mostly going to check out the nightlife. Never been. What's a good neighborhood to stay in? Looking for something pedestrian in range of bars and good restaurants.
>>
>>1984521
>Confederate/Civil War stuff
Check out the Vicksburg battlefield park. It was the site of a major siege and a lot of the earthworks have been preserved. Many of the major battlefields in the south have been overrun by suburban growth but at Vicksburg you can still get a sense of what went down.
The Cajun country west of New Orleans is great for food snd music. The Louisiana and Texas coasts east of Galveston are meh but it’s nice along the Redneck Riviera east from New Orleans to the Florida panhandle.
>>
>>1984814
Just drive home up the shenendoah along the blue ridge then
>>
Might be too out of the way, but Mammoth Cave in Kentucky is pretty amazing. Largest known cave system in the world
>>
>>1987945
Come to San Antonio instead tard, Austin sucks
>>
>>1989109
Did it two days ago. Saw the Alamo and ate at the Little Rhein on the riverwalk. My girl and I loved it.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.