[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/trv/ - Travel

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Maximum file size allowed is 8192 KB.
  • Images greater than 10000x10000 pixels are not allowed.
  • There are 16 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor applications are now being accepted for the next ~72 hours. Apply here.

New board added: /xs/ - Extreme Sports

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Tent camping in the Florida keys?

I want to go but everywhere is expensive as fuck, campgrounds charge $70 a night just to pitch a tent LOL

how realistic would it be just to find some hidden area behind some trees and pitch a tent?
>>
>>1961337
>how realistic would it be just to find some hidden area behind some trees and pitch a tent?
Anywhere that can be built on has been built on, it's the fucking florida keys dude. You could probably pitch a tent somewhere around there but it's likely to be a shit time.
>>
>>1961337
Looking at Google maps satellite imagery, there appears to be tons of tiny uninhabited islands scattered around which you could potentially camp on. You're gonna need a kayak though. Just be sure to ask around and get a tide chart. Just do it my man. Report back.
>>
>>1961507
Many of those flood often at high tide as they are so close to the water line.
>>
Never been to the Keys but I’ve pitched my tent in weirder, more densely populated areas. I’ve never had any trouble.
>>
>>1961337
$70 a night to camp..Kek..yeah bruh you can literally pitch a tent anywhere what do you think millions of bums do?
>>
>>1961631
Well in the keys anywhere that can be built on has been

Not really any solid land to pitch a tent
>>
>>1961337
Just looking at that picture: It should be possible to pitch a tent under the bridge just where it starts. Either that, or I’d just sleep in those bushes in a sleeping bag if it’s not raining.
Doesn’t seem too problematic.

I guess it will be hard to impossible to find a quiet, peaceful romantic spot, but still better than spending $70.

Also, maybe you could really just try to reach one of the smaller islands around, maybe you could even just wade there if the water is shallow enough. But do check them tides.
>>
>>1961655
we need the simulation to render more islands there
>>
>>1961663
Coast guard or local wildlife+rangers would ask you what the fuck you think you are doing and tell you to get lost. A pop up tent MIGHT hide in some of the treelines but you're then praying that the tide doesn't rise too much and wash your shit out to sea. The keys aren't solid, lots of the land is marsh pits, or have already been bulldozed over with proper supports to keep land in place. >>1961655 is right, pretty much all the places in the keys have been built on, anywhere else is basically kept on lookout for people doing exactly like what OP is attempting to do. Places you'd go camping could and will easily flood if there is a cloud in the sky that day.

>>1961337
> want to go but everywhere is expensive as fuck
it's almost as if the limited space in a popular tourist destination has inflated prices

>how realistic would it be just to find some hidden area behind some trees and pitch a tent?
It's possible, but it's just as likely some ranger, cop, life guard, etc, see's your tent comes over asks what you are doing, you're camping illegally, and get told to move along. A bunch of the places that don't have houses on them are often wildlife preservations meaning any official can come over and ask you wtf and go away.
>>
>>1961507
Those are probably mangroves
>>
>>1961337
So, anon, the keys is pretty much open.. the problem is you don't really want to.

It's a mix between trailer parks, tourists and such. Everyone here is right about the cops and state police. But they really care about speeders and drunks.

Key West is also half black, litereally, so be careful where you turn.
>>
Pitch a tent on the railroad that’s being taken apart. You’ll be safe from tides but not skeeters.

Also you can camp on (REDACTED) for free.

Has anyone else been to (REDACTED)?
>>
>>1961755
lol let him hide in those treelines and watch for snakes getting his ass there. those are the places where rattle snakes are hunting.
>>
>>1961337
How would sleeping in a car be down there?
>>
>>1961781
>It's a mix between trailer parks
>Key West is also half black, litereally,
You are retarded

>>1961882
Probably pretty shit considering parking is at a premium like land is
>>
>>1961882
>sleeping in a 90F 95% humidity environment

would want to die senpai
>>
>>1961912
Well he won't be sleeping during the day
>>
>>1963129
It's florida, do you think it is somehow better at night? I mean yeah in winter it cools down a bit, but rest of the year outside dec->feb enjoy pretty much 80's all year round.
>>
>>1963460
I was mainly asking about the police. Humidity can fucking try me.
>>
>>1961337
Sleep in your car you retard
>>
>>1963477
That question was already answered.
>>
You're picking one of the rainiest parts of the US to camp. How much do you like waking up surrounded by mud?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.