[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/trv/ - Travel

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Maximum file size allowed is 8192 KB.
  • Images greater than 10000x10000 pixels are not allowed.
  • There are 73 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor applications are now closed. Thank you to everyone who applied!

New board added: /xs/ - Extreme Sports

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1610885276725.gif (751 KB, 1555x2200)
751 KB
751 KB GIF
Which area of Germany should I move to?
I'm currently contemplating where should I study or take up an apprenticeship after summer and am just deeply unsure where exactly I should go as I'm originally from the Ruhr area where my family home still is but am currently stuck in western Brandenburg.
Is Berlin still a place worth moving to or just a dated meme and you can get most it offers elsewhere for far less money?
>>
go to the poshest university you can get in to, get a rich girl pregnant
>>
Travelled Germany extensively and I can say Bavaria is the best place, Munich specifically
>>
>>1943744
>Bavaria is the best place, Munich specifically
If Munich wasn't the most expensive large city of the whole country I would perhaps consider it.
>>
>>1943744
Munich was the worst place I went to there next to Berlin. What are you smoking?
>>
Freiburg, Bodensee, Garmisch, Chiemsee, Berchtesgaden...anyplace within 50 kilometers of the Swiss and Austrian borders. Best weather in Germany, comfy mountains and valleys, cute girls.
>>
do holstein women have big milkers?
>>
>>1943606
>Is Berlin still a place worth moving to or just a dated meme and you can get most it offers elsewhere for far less money?
Leipzig
>>
>>1943931
When I think of Germany I think of traditional architecture, beer halls, naked people sunbathing, football, and most importantly friendly locals. All of which I found in abundance in Munich.
I've visited 7 times including a 1 month stay with a friend that overlapped the beginning of Oktoberfest.
Genuinely a brilliant city. Some say expensive but in all honesty I think unless you're in some remote village any major city in Germany tends to price out the same
>>
Get out. We‘re full.
>>
>>1944117
Regensberg is everything Munich is but much better
>>
>>1944135
It's nice anon, but also very small. Part of the attraction of Munich is that it's a big city. Regensburg is a nice place to spend a weekend but not much>>1944135
more than that
>>
>>1944177
>very small
guy it's over 100k people a large proportion of which are students
There's nothing a 1 million person city has that a 100k city doesn't
>>
>>1944180
>There's nothing a 1 million person city has that a 100k city doesn't
diversity
>>
>>1944192
chill out Chayim
>>
>>1944124
>>1944192
For clarification, I'm german and already here.
>>
>>1943606
nrw
>>
>>1943606
Berlin is overrated, don't come. I lived here for the last 10 years and I can't wait to move out.
I'm actually planning to move to Nürnberg later in the year, any anon mind sharing their opinion on the area?
>>
>>1944242
Cant even speak german properly. Piss off back to your country
>>
File: 1582864171761.png (607 KB, 936x966)
607 KB
607 KB PNG
>>1944124
Full? Nah, we can make plenty of room
>>
>>1944184
Kys
>>
>>1945590
1)Ich lebe nicht in Deutschland

2)Ich spreche so ein besseres Deutsch als so viele Migranten, die da shon seite Jahren sind...

Du bist ne Schwul, Kevin.
>>
>>1945590
You can't even speak English properly.
Yet, I can speak German somewhat decently, despite only having studied it by myself.
>>
>>1943606
Berlin sucks. Go to Munich.
>>
bump
>>
File: 34598645798674.jpg (396 KB, 1200x900)
396 KB
396 KB JPG
>>1943744
>>1943787
>>1945586
>>1945689
Good answers.
>>1944068
Also good answer; Leipzig is said to be the "new Berlin," or, what it was before the fags took over.
>>1943953
Patrician answer.
>>1944135
Ok answer.

My answer: Wien

Pros:
>"Most livable city in Europe" Economist
>Austrians are the better Germans
>Amazing history + culture that's largely accessible
>Nascent start-up scene
>Good universities
>/fa/ + /lit/ tier Kaffeehäuser
>Better looking women from all around central, eastern Europe
>Multikulti but w/o shit-tier migrants
>Developed public transportation + walkable cityscape

Cons:
>Wieners can be really rude
>Shitty dialect
>Long windy winters
>Not a lot of international companies so career growth can be stultified
>>
Please don’t move to Berlin, we already have enough Zugezogene
>>
>>1947116
What about the cost of the living in Vienna?
I heard that doing a apprenticeship/Ausbildung in Berlin for example is frankly retarded at this point unless you already live there due to how high the rents and other expenses are.
>>
>>1945586

yes. you will probably kill urself out of boredom within 1 year after moving from a city that has everything to a small village that lacks so many things.
>>
also, we do not call munich a city. its a big village. hamburg is a city. berlin is a city. munich is a big village. nürnberg is a village. mostly farmers are living there, aside from the refugees
>>
File: DSC01605.jpg (4.88 MB, 4896x2752)
4.88 MB
4.88 MB JPG
>>1943953
this. very comfy.
>>
>>1947116
>Austrians are the better Germans
Wien ist schön, aber nimm das zurück
>>
>>1944117
Meh I went once to munchen. Made the mistake of going in winter after xmas. The weather was shit, food was shittier, everything expensive, lame Prada and shit stores you can find anywhere, beer hall seemed super gimmicky, dachau was cool but just a half day meh, art galleries are for gay people.

Heidelberg (and area) was faaaar better
>>
>>1943606
What do you want to study? If it's engineering the obvious choices are LMU(Munich), RWTH(Aachen), KIT(Karlsruhe) or any other elite engineering school. I'm in Aachen and as far as the city goes it's alright, very cheap and close to the Netherlands, France and Netherlands.
>>
>>1947116
Hope you get stabbed by Chechens or your head smashed in by some Turks, liberal nigger.
>>1943606
Duisburg, so you can see the beauty of how the new Germans will run this country.
>>
nice discussion in this thread, but hardly helpful, oder?
>>1943606
There are loads of good options, but it all depends on what you want. To study or learn a trade? Big city, middle, or country? How do you finance yourself?
What is your personality like?

There are a lot of underappreciated regions, but to make it simple: most places where decent wine grows can't be too bad.
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weinbau_in_Deutschland#/media/Datei:WeinbaugebieteDeutschland.svg

Anyway, what about Westbrandenburg? I'd expect it to be rather nice, even though pretty rural.
>>
>>1948050
t. cucked by a refugee
>>
>>1948000
For the love of Christ don't go to Karlsruhe it's an autistic shit fest (Aachen probly too)
>>
File: Hamburg.jpg (376 KB, 2880x1480)
376 KB
376 KB JPG
Munich is a pretty comfy city, but it's expensive and seems pretty boring when it's not summer.
I have a soft spot for Hamburg, but it's not for every one (northern harbor city with lots of partying) and rent is also expensive. It's more pleasant to the eyes than Berlin though and feels more like a real German city.
Some Germans I've befriended told me they really like Freiburg and Bonn, but I haven't visited them yet.
>>1947116
You forgot to include as a con that shops close very early in Wien and Austria in general. Most do at 6 P.M., and after 7-8 P.M. McDonalds is the only thing that remains open.
Otherwise, it's the most beautiful and comfiest capital city in Europe. People who have been disappointed by Paris should visit it, because Vienna is the actual city which would meet their expectations. I want to move there when I'm old.
>>
>>1943606
which german city (atleast 100k people) has least amounts of niggers and muslim fags?

(asking for a friend)
>>
>>1948602
Agree on most thinkgs, but
>shops close very early
>after 7-8 P.M. McDonalds is the only thing that remains open
wat? are you american?

>>1948594
well yeah, he already said engeneering school. You don't only-totally have autism though.
>>
>>1948610
any city in the east
>>
>>1947116
Wrong.

Immense amounts of eastern european/chechen/middle eastern monkeys everywhere. You will not hear any german spoken in subways, busses or in general public. ever.
>>
>>1947193
Don't think so because I don't do any nightlife and barely make use of the cultural offer anymore after the first couple of year. I mostly do /out/ activities like climbing and hiking which literally any place in Germany is much better than Berlin.
>>
File: Erfurt-640x427.jpg (79 KB, 640x427)
79 KB
79 KB JPG
Consider Erfurt.
Geographically the center of Germany, great connections by car and train, beautiful and wide countryside, rich in history, top-tier old town center, cultural hub for that area of Germany too. Great beers and food.
>>
File: hamburg-ripperbahn.jpg (38 KB, 474x355)
38 KB
38 KB JPG
>>1948602
>wat? are you american?
I'm French, but I'm saying this because Penny and Lidl close at 10 P.M. in Germany, and [swap Carrefour for Penny] approximately 9 P.M. here.
I'm an alcoholic night person and I need my cans of beer to get through the day. That's why I was disappointed when I realized there are no small kiosks selling vodka and Club Maté during the evening in Vienna, and also why in contrast I love Hamburg. I was hungry and had to go to McDonalds instead of a superior Turkroach kebab shop with real yogurt sauce like you have in German countries.
I heard this is due to strong labor union laws, which is a good thing, but I think now the next step is to reduce work hours and automate as much labor as possible, so things can remain somewhat open during the night, but that's just me.
>>
>>1948777 was meant to >>1948602 lel
>>
>>1948777
>>1948778
Holy fuck it was meant to >>1948619, don't drink everyday kids
>>
>>1947116
Haha, I was looking at this thinking I recognised that cafe before reading the text, wondering why you’re showing a Cafe in Austria when this thread is about Germany.

>w/o shit-tier migrants

Hard disagree. Maybe it’s just the time that I’ve been but man, I can’t count the number of gypsies I came across in this city, they’re fucking everywhere.

>Wieners can be really rude

Also agree on this, as a Brit it kind of shocked me experiencing Viennese folks.

I really enjoy the city and I hope to revisit soon, maybe even move there some day, but seems unrealistic. English speaking jobs are almost non-existent there or so it seems
>>
File: s-l1600l;l;o.jpg (290 KB, 1186x1600)
290 KB
290 KB JPG
wherever this guy is from:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdRZdswipYI
>>
>>1948594
Aachen is both kinda autistic, considering almost 20% of the population is RWTH students (excluding FH), and trashy. Since it's a small town all the homeless people and junkies are concentrated around the central parts of the city. Apart from that it's cheap and comfy enough if you like small towns. Not too much to do except studying though so that's something to consider.
>>
>>1943625
either Heidelberg, Lake Constance, Dresden, Saxon Switzerland, upper Bavaria or the Blackforest.
I live in the Blackforest and it's simply too beautiful here.
>>
The posts about Vienna ITT are pretty much true

I'll add quality of life in Vienna is better than in the big German cities because
Cheaper housing
Much cheaper and better public transport
Better and more varied cuisine, except for Turkish fast food
Better location for traveling
More relaxed life and working pace
During warmer months culture resembles more to Italian than German way of life
More digitalized society, better internet
Less bureaucracy, more efficient bureaucracy
Strong laws in favor of workers

Choose German cities over Vienna if you
Need access to best Turkish fast food, especially at night
Need late night kiosks where you can buy beer and other shit at night
Need longer than 6/8 pm opening hours for shops
Are a car enthusiast
Prefer better quality housing over price
Want to make career in a big international company
Have a problem with very dense cities and not alot of trees and greenery in the streets
Prefer modern architecture over old
Have a preference for more orderly looking public space (lots of places in Vienna may look fucked up and depressing and less neat than in germany)
>>
>>1948962
Do you think it’s possible for an English speaker to find a career in Vienna?

The city feels kinda closed off to non German speakers in terms of finding a job. Am I wrong in thinking that?
>>
>>1948996
Its not impossible, there's alot of international organizations here and I've met people who have a job here without speaking German
Easiest proly IT as everywhere
>>
Im a Burger and i was thinking about studying chemical engineering in Aachen or something. I've heard that it is full of Autistic people, but can one still have fun and meet non incels there?
>>
>>1949011
It should be really easy if you're not an autist. But don't expect to meet girls at uni there
>>
>>1949012
>don’t expect to meet girls at uni

Why so?
>>
>>1949042
The uni is heavily focused on STEM which is notorious for not attracting a lot of women
>>
>>1949042
there are like 5 of them and they're probably autistic as well
>>
>>1949009
Interesting anon

It’s just something I’ve noticed actually after spending a good amount of time in Wien. It feels like perhaps one of the only major capitals of Europe where you won’t hear English being spoken in the street unless they’re tourists.

I know it’s a completely different country with a huge diaspora in the UK, but in Warsaw for example, everyone there will speak English fluently almost, it’s really night and day. Not that I’m complaining, just something I’ve observed.

Looking on LinkedIn at jobs, I can’t and haven’t ever see anything that’s listed in English or advertised for English speakers so I think it’s probably extremely unrealistic. Would be nice though
>>
>>1949042
There's barely any girls in the actual engineering courses. However, there is a lot of non-engineering shit you can study in Aachen too especially the education major is filled with more women than men it seems like. Other than that you'll have to find a native Aachener girl or meet someone from the nearby towns, I met a cute chick from Stolberg which is close by. It's not all doom and gloom but there is a distinct lack of pussy at school for sure.

PROTIP: Prostitution is legal and the red light district is located 2 yards from the city center.
>>
File: hochablass.jpg (4.48 MB, 4600x2776)
4.48 MB
4.48 MB JPG
I'm gonna shill Augsburg to you.

Pros:
- Not overly huge population of roughly 200k
- Reasonable rent prices
- Abundant job opportunities in various sectors
- Close to Munich
- Reasonably close to Austria/Switzerland/Alps
- Aux is in general punching way above its weight class when compared to other german cities in many areas e.g. football, culture, infrastructure
- Has its own special holiday (Augsburger Friedensfest)
- Some based rich dude called Fugger lived here once

Cons:
- Lots of boomer hippies and immigrants, most russians are based though imo
- Some subhuman refugees, but not more than german average I guess
- Most shops close pretty early 6-8ish pm
- No noticeable elevation for miles around
>>
>>1943606
heidelberg
>>
>>1948962
>Much cheaper and better public transport
>365€ annual ticket
Jesus, that's the reduced price I get as a student for Berlin-Brandenburg.

>Need late night kiosks where you can buy beer and other shit at night
>Need access to best Turkish fast food, especially at night
>Need longer than 6/8 pm opening hours for shops
Are Austrian far more strict about everything closing down in the evening except for gas stations or is it just the culture and no one bothers with keeping open in the evening?

>Prefer better quality housing over price
How much crappier is inexpensive viennese housing?
How hard is it to find an apartment in general? I know in Berlin you regularly get ridiculous queues for better walk-in closets.
>Have a problem with very dense cities and not alot of trees and greenery in the streets
Considering the good public transit, is it very hard to get somewhere with decent greenery?

>Better and more varied cuisine, except for Turkish fast food
How is austrian döner kebab? Britain-tier?
>>
>>1943606
If you're from Germany then why the hell ask us?
Anyway: anywhere but Bayern. Only Bavarians like Bayern. Anywhere else is where it's at. Try Eisenhuttenstadt.
>>
>>1949162
>Are Austrian far more strict about everything closing down in the evening except for gas stations or is it just the culture and no one bothers with keeping open in the evening?
its just the law, similiar to bavaria today or other parts of germany but 15 years ago.
although you can still find late night kebabs, pizza or chinese takeout if you know where to look
gas stations are open also in late night and supermarkets in essential infrastructure spots everyday till 22h i think.

>How much crappier is inexpensive viennese housing?
depends how much you want to pay for it and where you want to stay, you can find 80 sqm for 900 euro but it might not be renovated for some time and the building most likely will be old. if you dont mind that then its ok.
if you willing to wait 2 years (thats the time until you can apply for it) you can get government housing which is even alot cheaper and can also be completetly new.
there's also alot of genossenschaftswohnungen, which are also similiar cheap to government housing.

>How hard is it to find an apartment in general? I know in Berlin you regularly get ridiculous queues for better walk-in closets.
that doesnt happen in vienna, you can find aparments quite easily actually. but be aware austrians still pay commission (like 2-3 cold monthly rents) for the realtor. luckily they are already on the way to remove this when i dont know though.

>Considering the good public transit, is it very hard to get somewhere with decent greenery?
not at all, theres parks in walking distance everywhere and officially vienna is the greenest city on the planet, its only that the greeney is always concentrated in parks and forests just not on the streets

>How is austrian döner kebab? Britain-tier?
i dont know how the british is, the döner in vienna is good for german standards but i havent found one yet which is comparable to the best german döners
>>
>>1949174
Thought /trv/ would be the decent board to ask if you want a thread that lasts longer than a few hours like on /int/.
>>1949165
How affordable is Vienna as an apprentice (Auszubildnender)? I'm asking because at least in Berlin unless you already grew up and live there you will never be able to live off the few bucks you get and I'm still unsure if I can afford studying (yet).
>>
>>1949193
Idk, groceries and food is probably cheaper in Berlin and Vienna is cheaper with rents, pick your poison
>>
>>1949488
>Idk, groceries and food is probably cheaper in Berlin and Vienna is cheaper with rents, pick your poison
I'm perfectly fine with paying more if it's means not living on the outer edges of a city and I also guess if you are fine with living in rather poor, working class areas you pay even less?
>>
>>1949857
Yea but it's not always corellated
Today I saw an old apartment 70 sqm for 500 Euro and very central kek
>>
>>1950134
>Today I saw an old apartment 70 sqm for 500 Euro and very central kek
Which site did you use?
>>
bump
>>
>>1945586
Nürnberger hier.
Better than Berlin? Well, I can´t give you an objective answer because I have a deep hatred for that Shithole, so I´d say yes, we´re better than Berlin.
We Franken are known to be socially cold, Honest, we don´t beat around the bush, are very direct, which some may interpret as offensive. We´re also pretty Cynical. We also like to complain a lot. Nuremberg itself is Beautiful, if you´re into Architecture, and we have a rich History. However, if I were you, I wouldn´t move directly to Nürnberg, but to its surrounding cities. Especially Fürth, since you´re in downtown Nürnberg within 15 Minutes, and Fürth is more comfy. Also, might wanna check out Bamberg or Regensburg (If you can cope with their shitty dialect).
>>
>>1951620
Thanks for the info. Fürth looks interesting, but the other 2 seem further away. Anyway I love the whole Frankenjura region. I go climbing whenever I can to the Pottenstein-Gößweinstein- Obertrubach region so they might be up my alley... worth investigating at least.
>>
>>1948897
Also the RWTH is a sausage fest.
>>
>>1951866
true
>>
File: kek.png (142 KB, 360x346)
142 KB
142 KB PNG
>>1951866
It's funny because germans love bratwurst
>>
bump
>>
File: biomes.jpg (118 KB, 700x748)
118 KB
118 KB JPG
>>1943606
Was für ne Ausbildung?
Fahr mal rum und schau ob du mit den Leuten klarkommst. Entscheide nicht blind. Berlin zieht nicht gerade die Besten der (jungen) Deutschen an und die wenigen Brauchbaren wollen die Stadt eh verlassen. Wenn du keinen sächsischen Dialekt magst solltest du nicht nach Sachsen ziehen - das gilt auch für alle anderen Teile Deutschlands. Österreich ist ne Empfehlung wert.
Die besten Regionen Deutschlands sind generell die Küsten bis 10km und die Alpen bis 50km ins Landesinnere.

>>1949114
>- Not overly huge population of roughly 200k
300k. Der Hochablass ist schön, die Westlichen Wälder auch. Der Rest geht so. Von allen bayrischen Städten ist Augsburg die Unattraktivste und hat keine Identität mehr. Abgesehen davon schwindet die Industrie seit den 60ern. In den letztenn Jahren hat der Abbau zugenommen, unabhängig von Corona.
>>
bump
>>
>>1943606
bavaria obviously
>>
Are there any large german cities that have at least 70% german population?
>>
>>1957612
I would guess most places in Bavaria
>>
>>1957612
literally all of germany you fucking incel
>>
bump
>>
>>1943606
What do you want to study?
For mechanical engineering i suggest muinich and for the apprenticeship bmw in Dingolfing (if you can speak German).
>>
>>1945669
Du sprichst sogar besser als manche Deutschen
>>
>>1947116
Vienna is full of bottom of the barrel migrants, even in the better places like Grinzing.
>>
>>1943606
Just go to Switzerland, it's a better Germany
>>
What do you guys think of Dortmund?
>>
Are there still any culturally interesting and affordable places in Germany or have the massive rent increases over the last 15 years killed pretty much all of them?
>>
>>1957612
Every city in the east, except berlin. Rumors say, we got nazis - this bad reputation works like a repellent against foreigners.

T. Leipzig (we got antifa, but thats another story).
>>
>>1959100
incorrect. Frankfurt / main is more than 50% foreign.
>>
>>1963817
Filled to the brim with (sand)niggers.
Don't go there.
>>
>>1957612
Dresden
>>
>>1948594
>>1948897
Redpill me on Univeristy of Bonn
>>
>>1964766
Are you retarded? Learn how to use Wikipedia
Go back to your containment board, mutt
>>
>>1943606
use the mountains as walls to keep you away from blacks
>>
>>1964853
Halt mal schön die Bälle flach, Kleiner. Who is more believable - open-to-edit-by-anybody-wikipedia or someone who lived there for some 10 years?
>>
>>1965083
>I have counted the foreigners in F am Main personally. Fuck the stats
No
>>
>>1965083
>>1965089
a quick search brings this:
https://de.statista.com/statistik/daten/studie/1186768/umfrage/auslaenderanteil-kreise-metropolregion-frankfurt-rhein-main/
>>
>>1964784
How bad is it tho? Like im coming to the realization that theres no escaping them at this point
>>
bump
>>
>>1943606
don't you know theres a worldwide scamflu going on? No travel allowed. Think of the boomers.
>>
Köln is a cool young and vibrant city
People are open and laid back, there's jobs and plenty other big cities around it

Sure it doesn't have the typical old city center of a European town so there isn't much sightseeing per se, but it's a comfy city to live in.

Just be aware it's raining alot there and quite cloudy too.
>>
>>1944180
This is truth. There are many beautiful cities in the 50-200k range which offer nearly everything, but are not memed to death and as expensive as the big ones.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.