[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/trv/ - Travel

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

I’ve got a car, no debt, and a fair amount of money saved up. My entire life I’ve lived in a small rural town, but now that I finally have the money to leave, I’m not sure where to go. Alright with any place as long as I have access to fast internet. Also before people ask

>Just get a job
Where I live, I can’t. Literally no one hires during normal times and ESPECIALLY not during the pandemic. I only managed to save this much from a part-time job that I got let go from

>$10k isn’t a lot in a city.
I know. I’m fairly frugal, I don’t buy anything I don’t need. I’ll be looking for a job almost immediately upon moving.
>>
>>1938465
Care to write anything about your expectations? World is pretty big.
>>
>>1938487
I’m not super picky. Fast internet, reasonable cost of living, good food, preferably somewhere I won’t get shanked. In terms of weather I don’t care, hot or cold is fine. Rain is cool I guess.
>>
>>1938491
Latvia anon here. You're welcome. Be aware we don't pay neetbux here, people generally don't give a fuck about politics and don't know about social justice. The wages/cost of living are not very high but you can make like 1500-2500 euros a month after taxes in IT/construction/healthcare and live very comfortably.
The food is the best, it's very easy to find farmers who will deliver potatoes, honey, vegetables to your place. Meat and dairy on the markets is local or Lithuanian.
The rent is 300 euro for a semi-decent flat, 400 will get you a nice place in a modern block.
You probably can get robbed but I feel so safe here compared to Western Europe and NYC. People are mostly killed by their drunk buddies. If you're a normal guy dealing with normal people you'll be fine.
The nature is beatiful here and due to low population density it's very easy to get away from civilisation inawoods or on a beach even is such a small country. It's not a very touristy place with mindblowing landmarks, mountains and islands though.
Also be aware that you must work for several years and learn Latvian to be allowed to stay.
>>
>>1938499
Is it easy to get residency there? As an American?
>>
>>1938500
My last sentence in previous post was in regard of permanent residency.
I know a Russian guy who came to study, finished the uni, started working and was allowed to stay while he's working, so I guess it works like that. He can get permanent residency if he'll pass the language exam.
Also know several Belarussian guys, one Ukrainian and one Frenchie who work here, so it must be quite easy to get residency if you're invited to work here.
I'm not very knowldegeable on this subject, but you can check by yourself here https://www.pmlp.gov.lv/en/residence-permits-0
>>
>>1938506
I see. I'll look into it, thank you.
>>
It may come as a shock to many people on this website, but you cannot just move to another country likes it's nothing, unless you hold an EU passport and want to move within the EU area.

As an American with zero qualifications, your chances are zero
>>
>>1938554
Yeah, I’m aware of this, I was just curious about the other guy’s suggestion. I’d rather just stay in the states atm (which is what I’m seeking advice on)
>>
>>1938465
you speak any language besides english?
>>
>>1938500
americans have special opportunity in Latvia in terms of residence. not sure about other baltic countries. they want americans to move there.
>>
>>1938554
https://www.pmlp.gov.lv/en/if-you-are-pensioner-visa-free-country
>>
>>1938465
If you’re “alright with any place” then why don’t you just stay where you are?

Clearly there is something that you’re looking for that you don’t have yet and we need to know what that is in order to make recommendations.
>>
>>1938572
That’s fair. I live in a rural town in Oklahoma, roughly a 600 pop. There’s nothing here, and pretty much anywhere I don’t get stabbed is an upgrade.

They don’t have to be gigantic cities but are there any fairly sizable ones with good entry level job opportunities and fair costs of living?

>>1938561
Barebones conversational Spanish and like 1st grade tier Japanese
>>
>>1938578
Little Rock is nearby, has 200k people and a very low cost of living. Not sure about their economy but it might be a good fit.
>>
Try teaching English in a place like cambodia or laos, which may be more lenient on degree. Cost of living is probably very cheap too.
>>
>>1938568
>https://www.pmlp.gov.lv/en/if-you-are-pensioner-visa-free-country
Latvia is lovely, I spent a short time there a few years go.
>>
>>1938554
Yeah but you can normally stay for 3 months somewhere, go somewhere else for 3 months, comeback and repeat ad infitum. A work visa to schengen is even longer, 1 year I think.
>>
>>1938637

No, it doesn’t work like that anymore. Visa runs are a thing of the past. Literally every sexpat in Thailand was making border jumps to Cambodia every 3rd month, and the authorities hit down hard on that. Same goes for every semi popular country unless you want to do visa runs in some African shithole
>>
You could try a different kind of rural area. A while back I was just looking at various small towns around the country, the cheapest apartment I could find was a 2br for $200 a month in Montpelier Idaho. I had to call just to confirm that I wasn't reading a scam but there are pockets of the country where you can still get a decent job and then get a nice apartment.
>>
>>1938764
How did you go about looking at apartment listings all over the country?
I’m in a similar situation to op. I have nothing to tie me anywhere and just need to pick a place to work and save until things open again.
>>
>>1938771
https://eastidaho.craigslist.org/apa/d/welcome-home-to-candlewood-apartments/7260410367.html

Here is another listing.

I just used craigslist or apartments.com or another search engine and then started picking off locations in the rural expanse just to take a look and find something that worked.

I was really intrigued as to what the cheapest apartment you could rent could be. At 150 a month thats almost cheap enough to rent as a vacation place. I would eagerly sign a lease for 1000-1500 to have a place to fuck off to.
>>
>>1938578
Tulsa is giving $10K if you decide to live there.

https://tulsaremote.com/
>>
You’re a deluded larper mutt. A total loser. You won’t be successful
>>
Mexico is a good option to stretch your money a lot. Cheap flight from Oklahoma. Just a matter of picking the right city that isn’t cartel controlled. You’d also need some kind of remote work eventually probably.
>>
>>1938780
Don't you need to be working remote already ?
>>
>>1938609
This is his best bet, there are some countries that allow you to teach without a degree and having 10k in the bank would got a long way in Cambodia starting out.

I'd research more options, if your white and speak good English won't be hard to find a job in these countries.
>>
>>1938499
>Shill your country. At the last second, you mention "Oh, but actually you have to live here, work, and learn the language!"

Fuck off.
>>
>>1939092
Based
>>
>>1938499
Based
>>1939092
Cringe
>>
>>1938465
Go to San Antonio, anon. It’s a little expensive but it’s one of the nicest affordable cities in America. You don’t really have to worry about bad weather other than the occasional thunderstorm. Great food, low crime, and awesome history if that interests you.
>>
>>1938499
If you go to the Baltics, just skip everything and head straight for Tallinn.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.