[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/trv/ - Travel

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Previous thread: >>1894791

Copypasta FAQ:
>Where should I stay in Tokyo?
Anywhere on the JR Yamanote loop line.
>Is Hiroshima+Miyajima worth it as a day trip from Osaka/Kyoto?
Not really, it's too rushed and you should probably just stay the night there.
>How do I travel by public transport?
I recommend the "Official Japan Travel App". It's free and does a good job of planning routes using public transportation.
>"Dude what should I see in ________?"
https://www.japan-guide.com/
https://www.jnto.go.jp/
Solid general guides - sights, sample itineraries, pre-travel considerations, etc
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1fmfaySQHmojbRGKWCwRecq6Ln1Bb2Xdh&ll=35.67928012473078%2C139.68638283648374&z=12
/JPG/anon put together an autistic supermap of sights, restaurants, and shopping. Go nuts.

*Current status on travel restrictions*
>https://www.japan-guide.com/news/alerts.html
"Japan is reportedly working on reopening its borders to all international travelers in April 2021. Tourists will be screened and tested for COVID-19 upon arrival."

*Info on prostitution*
Please try to *not* refrain from asking questions about prostitution. If you're coming to Japan solely for prostitutes you are based and redpilled. please share your experiences with everyone ITT.
>http://rockitreports.com/category/sex-in-tokyo/
>http://erolin.net
>http://rockitrisingsun.com
>https://paradise-tokyo.net
>http://hentaitokyo.com

*JR Pass*
Many people ask about whether or not the JR Rail Pass is worth it. It depends on your itinerary.
>http://www.hyperdia.com/en/
Plug your itinerary into Hyperdia to determine ticket costs, then compare to the below JR Pass options:
>7 day Pass: 29,110¥ (approximately a Tokyo-Kyoto round-trip bullet train trip)
>14 day Pass: 46,390¥
>21 day Pass: 59,350¥

Super-easy rail pass calculator. Fill in your planned trips, get a quick yes/no response.
>https://www.japan-guide.com/railpass/
>>
How are the hookers in Japan? And how's the weed scene?
>>
File: 1558051296805.png (3.98 MB, 996x2016)
3.98 MB
3.98 MB PNG
>hit 30k in savings today for next trip in japan
>>
File: 1602725901370.jpg (94 KB, 625x620)
94 KB
94 KB JPG
Would it be a better idea to go before the olympics or after? (assuming the country is even open by then)
>>
>>1904096
Weed is pretty difficult to find in Japland. While I was studying abroad, my friends and I found acid plugs a lot more frequently.
>>
>>1904107
>only 30k
are you expecting to sleep in 7/11 parking lots? eat out of the dumpsters?
>>
File: 1591907117942.jpg (1.96 MB, 1749x1447)
1.96 MB
1.96 MB JPG
>>1904110
Nah I usually sleep in the hostel I rent, there are a bunch of nights I never make it back to my hotel/hostel. Just figured next time I am over for work I might as well just ride out the visa this time rather than hopping around. Shouldn't be too hard did a month on something like 1250USD for the month before, was pretty interesting
>>
>>1904113
>did a month on $1250
nice, any tips on frugal spending?
>>
File: IMG_20180429_124927.jpg (1.66 MB, 3968x2976)
1.66 MB
1.66 MB JPG
>>1904116
Learn Japanese
Hostelworld is your friend
Willer bus is your friend
Shop at Lawsons past 9pm for loading up on discount meals for tomorrow can get like 3 pre made dishes for ~298 yen
Walk a lot
Learn Japanese to save cash
those glass sake jars are your friend for cheap drinks
learn how to rent a bike

it sucks but doable, especially if you book a long term place at a hostel and they give you a 20% discount for a month rental. Stayed at like some 15 dollar hostel, no AC swamp cooling only, ate 711, did buses to get around. Was pretty hell, but overall taught me more than anything

Just ready to explore a bit more and see some friends again, hope reitaisai is in shizuka next

Also, just look like you know what you are doing and people won't stop you.
>>
any other areas in tokyo like shimokitazawa/koenji/daikanyama?
also, what's tokyo's underground fine art/independent gallery scene like? any areas with a high proportion of independent galleries?
>>
Scomo is on his way to Nihon lads, we're gonna have a defense pact possibly and hopefully a date for travel.

I'd rather be a colony of the Japanese empire than China. At least the Japs will make all the fat white bitches here lose weight.
>>
>>1904116
Don't get lost on the trains as that'll burn your budget
>>
Is black passengers yellow cabs a reliable account of a black man's experience in Japan?
>>
>>1904328
Fuck off cunt.
>>
>pretending you can spend less than 200 p/day in Tokyo

nice bait.
>>
>>1904107
Great, you will be able to take a trip for about 3 days or so in Japan.
>>
>>1904107
USD? What the fuck are you planning to do there?
>>
>>1904110
>>1904355
>>1904356

>1k flight round trip
>1k for 3 weeks of hostel reservations
>1k on food
>2k bonus shit
cry about it
>>
>>1904460
It's nice that you can fly standby and found someone in Japan to keep you well fed. I'm pretty jealous of you, most of us don't have the contacts to do that.
Have fun in Japan anon, you're very lucky to be able to save so much.
>>
Which part of Tokyo does /trv/ prefer staying in?
I was thinking of spending the full 3 months on my next tourist visa, and rent out an airbnb for the 3 months
>>
>>1904480
Anywhere near Ueno or Asakusa is pretty good.
>>
>>1904473
From my research it seems like a reasonable budget desu
>>
>>1904489
yeah if you're planning on sucking off homeless men to stay in their cardboard boxes
>>
>>1904500
He meant 30k dollars, not 30k yen. It's an ultra luxury budget.
>>
>>1904480
how the fuck do ppl afford 3 months of air bnb rentals, and moreso, how the fuck can all your guys employer's just let you go away for 3 months (assuming youre not self employed or work remotely)
>>
>>1904503
you meant I actually had to specify that for these dolts? wow, I am on 4chan
>>
>>1904356
Dunno probably buy more weeb shit, spend about a few months in Japan. Each time I've been to Japan I've dropped ~800-1000 on weeb shit, probably more if during comiket or reitaisai. Not really unusual for me to drop 200 bucks on a 2hu or anime fig.

Obv not going to spend it all but since I've been mostly in lockdown mode I've been also living mostly NEET mode, it wasn't a goal to save 30k I just am going to hit that by end of year.

>>1904480
Namba station, use to be a good hostel right there and also an APA there. Namba really isn't crowded and has access to JR/Metro lines, as well as some night life around it. Nakano if you are doing an airbnb as it will be cheaper, but bit out of the way from central tokyo.

>>1904505
I work remotely, 3 month airbnb probably would be something like 1000/mo so not terribly expensive. Before the coof it wasn't unusual for me to fuck off to Japan for a week or so to go to a convention or enjoy a bit longer holiday.
>>
>>1904064
lets say i have a good, six figure job (due to overtime) ... but i want to move to Japan

Honestly, life is just boring and unfulfilling here in USA. and the older i get the more i realize im wasting it away.

I do , however, have the funds + GI BILL benefits to put myself through college.. i was thinking if i really decided i had enough of this shitty boring life, i would go and get a BA in electrical engineering (I work with electricity and have always enjoyed learning about it) and then try my luck at something over there. Even if i did that though, by the time i graduated i would be pretty old (reaching 40) and no work experience.

I hear nothing but horror stories about life in japan though and how Japan is better for visiting then for traveling. Obv this is something i would decide on my own and its not like anything that anybody says would make or change my mind up, but im open to hearing any thoughts on this.
>>
>>1904517
lucky fuck, also .. APA is the shit. I only ever stay there. Hate airbnbs and for hotels, APA's are the best middle ground between a nice place and not breaking the bank
>>
>>1904524
If you have the GI bill you can take college in Tokyo, I think University of PA has a agreement/campus out there. My friend is doing it currently, it's south of shibuya forget the name of the campus but can find out. He's there for 4 years and kinda liking it outside the whole coof.

>I hear nothing but horror stories about life in japan though and how Japan is better for visiting then for traveling.
Depends I do contract work, so can't really talk for the private sector of working or JET there. Is fine since all my work hours are detailed per contract, want me to work OT? take it to my contract agency sorry not doing 12hr days because my contract says no.

>>1904525
I consider APA's fancy, I almost always stay in hostels (sometimes private room) just so I can socialize easier. Traveling for work before this ordeal basically made me not give a single fuck so long as I have a pillow.
>>
>>1904524
Think I found it, I believe it's Temple University – Japan Campus, they have an agreement with working with the GI bill. Only thing I hear is that no one gives a fuck and it's basically a paper degree for people who want to live in Japan and work off the GI benefits.
>>
>>1904531
one thing i didnt mention though is its a partial GI BILL (70%), so while I COULD do that and just live off and pay the rest using my savings... i wouldnt exactly quit my job and drop my current life for it..

If i go to college here now, get a BA on the side while continuing my job, then i can test the waters and see if i have any job offers thats worth me tossing the dice and changing my life up..

again, this is me just thinking out loud more than it is me actually planning anything.... but every day i get more and more bored of my life here. Nothing interests me about American culture , or the cities here... Call me a weeb , but Ive always been super interested in everything about Japan, and when i visited.. it was better than even my highest expectations..the time of my life.
>>
File: 1586994425104.jpg (69 KB, 477x640)
69 KB
69 KB JPG
>>1904535
Makes sense, if it's only 70% then not really worth dropping everything unless you really are invested. One move potentially could be doing the Degree there, then move into something from USAjobs.gov and work contracting, they prefer to hire vets first so there is that. Since you'd be located in Japan already would be a lot easier to transition into a job from there.

Doing it that way would be a very good way to figure out if it's for you with the ability to find work later on, would be a massive life change though.
>>
>>1904343
I've done in the past usually 75/day but I budget/plan 100, always best to overbudget and have more cash than you need.

>hostel (a good one)
25 bucks
>food
20 bucks
>train pass
8 bucks
>a show or museum
20 bucks
>snacks/beers
10 bucks

Biggest fuck you is forgetting the trains stopped, best to just set an alarm at 1130/1215 to make sure you leave the bar and get on the JR/metro with time to spare.
>>
>>1904524
I work for the DoD in Japan and make 6 figures.
>>
File: gin_and_tonic.jpg (4.09 MB, 4608x3456)
4.09 MB
4.09 MB JPG
>by the time i graduated i would be pretty old (reaching 40) and no work experience.
>but every day i get more and more bored of my life here.
this is making me about where I want to be headed myself and whether I could be doing better for myself (socially) elsewhere. I already make quit a good salary for someone my age (almost 24 and have been making 67k/year for 2 years now). 24 feels like a big jump. I wanna experience the steps between jumps optimally and that doesn't feel achievable here in NA. Every time I go to Asia the social opportunities seem to always be present and positive. I don't wanna throw my success away here for a pacific crossing move, but at the same time, if I don't I will always be wondering about the coomer I could've been in Asia during my youth.
>>
>>1904545
I'm 30, been to Japan 10 or 15 times I stopped counting after the 5th time would need to look at my old and current passport and tally it up.

Got a job that was travel when I was 23 been doing it for the past 7 years up until well you know. Each style of life always has some of the grass being greener, it's not always the case. I packed up my car one day drove across the country to start a new life/job, was fun looking back the way I did it was more than foolish/dumb but overall I would probably do it again.

Best advice for anyone thinking Japan's the place to move to and live for everything being better, please stay there for about 90 days in a city not living it like a rich tourist. Get up at 745 stay out doing something till 6-7, rinse and repeat after awhile it gets really old. For me the glasses of glorious Japan life living there fell off around the ~40-45 day mark then you realize oh shit it's just another place with different shit. The biggest downer was understanding Japanese so I stopped learning it, the ignorance of not realizing every sign is just a sale ad or something about another ramen dish is nice.
>>
>>1904547
sounds like a textbook redpilling. You could have been sitting in the same city you were raised in and not come close to fully realizing the dumb gamble you took (I actually took the same gamble, moving across the country to a city and job I had never met anyone with face to face. My old 50 y/o colleague basically voiced it was a risky thing to do and left me feeling bleh, but it worked out.) or the misguided power level of glasses of glorious Japan. You're probably a lot more resilient. I can't image my parents going out of town anymore.
>>
>>1904503
Ya I know he was talking about 30k USD. That won't get you anywhere for more than maybe a day or two. You're going to have to eat thrown out bento boxes with that kind of budget.
>>
>>1904543
Is that through the Japanese or US government? How did you get started with that job? What type of work is it?
>>
>>1904598
Not him but DoD contracting is done by the US for bases in Japan, you can also do it anywhere a US military base is. You have to go through a contract like USAjobs.gov which is the more popular one, then be a US citizen no criminal history and be willing to just apply constantly to gigs.

It can be anything from being a chef to painting jets to being an IT guy, to being an accountant. Just depends what work you apply for and such. Most pay pretty well and offer tax benefits, cost of living pay, and other perks. You just have to do some of the most mind numbing tasks ever
>>
I bought these when I was in Japan and now I am craving them. I am located in the European part of Russia. Does anybody know a place where I could buy them online? Or is there some English teacher there in Japan that I could send money to to buy some and ship them to me?
>>
>>1904598
DoD in the US government.
> How did you get started with that job?
I applied and got hired.
>What type of work is it?
I'm a Sr. Sysadmin. Basically the same job I had in the US in the private sector.

>>1904602
Yes and no. The jobs on USA jobs.gov aren't contracting jobs. They're actual federal jobs. Contracting jobs can be found through various contractor sites, they pay more, but can be less stable that a GS position.
>>
File: 1542630011721.png (20 KB, 474x473)
20 KB
20 KB PNG
Soaplandbros...
How you holding up?
>>
>>1904968
lmao dude i would buy that every time before the hitting the bars in my case breath stank, i actually have one of those here in my room right now that i had brought back with me
>>
Japanese women in the teens don't look their best that's a fact and the uglier become always more beautiful with age
>>
>>1905186
It's also the change in looks when they finish school
>>
>>1905186
Makeup isn’t allowed in most Japanese schools up until senior high school.
>>
>>1905189
I was thinking about facial features and maybe haircuts to some extent, but that's me. I don't think make up makes a better difference on jap teenagers
>>
>>1904553
Everybody is different. I've lived in a couple countries and Japan is unironically the best.
>>
File: IMG_20201116_213111.jpg (3.02 MB, 2336x4160)
3.02 MB
3.02 MB JPG
>>1904968
based and mintiapilled
>>
Why do so many of you in this thread travel with such small budget? Like minimum, you should be allocating 50 for food per day, what kind of dumpster diving shit do you do to live off of 20?

Especially if you are single as well, your entertainment budget should be much higher. You need to be doing things, that's why you travel.

And don't get me started on hostel living, just get an AirBnb like a human.
>>
File: IMG_20191227_002546.jpg (570 KB, 4032x3016)
570 KB
570 KB JPG
>>1905626
Everyone is different, I would say if you're going to Japan do allocate a bit more to try some dishes but overall Food can be cheap. If I am in tokyo my daily food routine looks like this
>Breakfast
711/lawsons, Coffee+small bite to eat+vitamin pack and supplement of vitamin B(helps recover from any drinking). Runs about 500-600 yen, sometimes I just eat a bento box I picked up the night before and eat that while watching TV.
>Lunch
Usually a double beef kebab as it's quick and easy with a fair bit of protein ~600-800 yen max. CO
>dinner
Usually just go to a ramen shop, or something get a larger set of meal maybe running me ~1000 depending if I add beer in or not

If you know where to eat and how, you can safe a fair bit of money. My friend would always eat near JR train stations and was always paying more compared to walking a few blocks and saving a few bucks simply because not at the station.

>Especially if you are single as well, your entertainment budget should be much higher.
I separate food and drinking budgets, but also most my budget is for the day-to-day stuff. Going out to eat some super fancy dish, hit up nomihodai with some friends, or meal+show is completely different than my normal budget. I usually pregame by getting some liquor or beers, chill at my hostel's common room after a shower from the day, charge my phone backup and chill before heading back out. Works well.

>And don't get me started on hostel living, just get an AirBnb like a human.
Socializing aspect of Hostels is what sells me on them all the time, getting a private room is far better than dealing with Airbnb and often far closer to public transportation. Hostels also are pretty nice for holding my luggage if my flight isn't till later or simply letting me chill down stairs for as long as I need till my flight shows. Some of the other parts of Hostels such as local information, discounts to stores, and events are nice bonuses.
>>
File: MVIMG_20191222_005554.jpg (1.81 MB, 3998x2998)
1.81 MB
1.81 MB JPG
>>1905626
>You need to be doing things, that's why you travel.
Also if you do put the slight effort into researching a few things before landing in Japan you can seriously trim down the amount you'd be spending day to day by a mile. I've done Japan mostly blind and then did it with a well planned out light itinerary, and I managed to spend probably 30-50% less per day after that simply by having a loose idea of where to go and things to do.

One big easy way to save loads of cash is simply by pregaming prior to drinking, past 3 times I drank with people from Europe they were always mystified at drinking before going to the bar. Like bruh you can save yourself a fair bit of cash simply by grabbing 2-3 Strong 0's, drinking them a bit, then go to a bar to keep the buzz going.

Also bento boxes are an easy cheap meal, they even get discounted at night. Not saying you have to do that but why spend more than you need. I'm fairly rich but I still am quite careful and selective on spending, just because you make more doesn't mean you need to spend more.
>>
>>1905626
I travel with a group most of the time. AirBnb's are nice if you want to cook, or will be somewhere for 2 or 3 days. Business hotels give us privacy and sometime personal bathrooms, the same with hostels. The only downside is having to do coin laundry. The big expenses are stuff like Ryokans and some higher end restaurants, A5 beef places for example.

If I am up for breakfast it is 3 to 5 dollars at a local bakery place + local coffee shop. Lunch could range from a 5 dollar kebab, 10 dollar ramen, buger, etc, or a lunch omakase. Dinner is basically izakayas most of the time.
>>
>>1905626
50 per day is pretty high. That would be like eating ikunari steak every day, then going to premium ramen/sushi shops that advertise ENGLISH MENU. To me daily budget means the basics of what you assume you'll be using, which an average meal will be around 10 bucks per day. I don't think anyone is really budgeting unique events or special occasions into the budget and have a set aside plan for that.

I'd rather have a smaller daily budget for Japan if it means I could go to Japan again that year or extend my trip an extra few days simply by watching what I've planned for. If I have 10 days in Japan controlling something simple like my food or bar budget a bit more can easily take that to 4-5 more days.
>>
>>1905626
>you should be allocating 50 for food per day,
?? You can get by $20 a day for food, maybe even less. I don't really eat much and I'd rather save my appetite for lunch/dinner, so I usually skip breakfast.
>>
File: MVIMG_20191013_193558.jpg (1.67 MB, 3998x2998)
1.67 MB
1.67 MB JPG
>>1905706
I've seen people run 50+ easily in Tokyo when I've been hanging out with some friends
>breakfast at mcdonalds or dennys
>snacks of those A5 WAGYU KOBE BEEF sticks you see all over for like 1200 yen
>coffee/soda from the main street soda machines rather than just going to 711 for a cheaper version or looking a block off the main street for the 100yen ones.
>western style food place for lunch or place that clearly is going for the tourist extra cash for meals located right at the tourist stops
>fancier izakaya at night and order drinks there to get drunk

pic related is a 1900 yen meal, 900 of that was just for the beers the rest was the app/dish/kimchi. Really easy to each cheap in Japan assuming you look around instead of going to the first place seen from the train station. Eat and budget how you want but it doesn't take a lot to find a decent filling meal for under 10 dollars.
>>
Food is just food you fat fucking tool.
>having fun exploring
>hm kinda hungry, should check out whatever restaurant is closest and looks good enough
>NO, I NEED TO GO TO THE MOST FANCY RESTAURANT, THIS IS -MY- VACATION AND I AM HERE TO SPOIL MYSELF SO I WILL SPEND THE NEXT HOUR GOOGLING REVIEWS AND SUGGESTIONS AND TAKE A 30 MINUTE TRAIN RIDE IF NEED BE
>>
>>1905746
Some people really like food, anon
>>
>>1905746
That's why itineraries can help, you can simply keep in where you are going that day with what looks interesting around that place to swing by.
>stay in tokyo
>going to Kamakura/enoshima and on the way back stop at yokohama
>found cool place in Fujisawa for lunch eat there
>found cool place in Yokohama for dinner and eat there
>have place on google maps marked for eating at later that day
>0 time or effort tracking down places wasted
>>
>>1905746
if I went to japan one of the main reasons would be to eat as much of their best food as possible
>>
>>1905762
In that case your best bet would be to look up nomihodai places that will give you a bunch of food over 60/90/120 minutes depending. Good food really isn't hard to find, most people would be suprised how good the average ~10 dollar bowl of ramen with extra toppings can be, especially if you have no reference point
>>
>>1904096
>And how's the weed scene?
it's rough and expensive. cops in shibuya have super-natural abilities when it comes to this shit.
don't get caught or you won't be coming back to japan.
>>
did any of you guys get a visa after the new regulations? i'm trying to figure out how to move in spite of the pandemic and me being from a country barred from entry.
>>
>>1905815
do you have a job lined up?
>>
>>1904096
Japanese people have no concept of weed whatsoever, you can totally get away with smoking it in public, even.
>>
>>1905817
Not yet, I barely started thinking about it.
I was thinking about applying for the 特定技能 visa, or a student visa if that's possible.
>>
>>1904096
DO NOT SMOKE WEED IN JAPAN
Japs like speed, it's easier to get, and it's less obvious you have it
But don't do that either
>>
>>1905821
I'm pretty sure you need a job to apply for the visa.
>>
>>1905820
are you trying to get him locked up? that's fucked.
>>
>>1905823
that's why i was thinking to get a student visa and study for the work permit test for a year while doing some shit part time on the side. since hooking up a job within japan is so much easier. just spitballing here though, i haven't read any regulations yet.
>>
>>1904110
Dude
I stay at APA hotel every time my wife gets angry at me
It's like 2000 yen ($20) a day
If you can't get a deal on hotels (maybe it's because covid) then go stay in manboo manga cafe.
It ain't luxurious, it's pretty desperate, but you can get two weeks for like $300 in a private room smaller than a prison cell
>>
>>1904312
>also, what's tokyo's underground fine art/independent gallery scene like? any areas with a high proportion of independent galleries?
Idk
But I saw a news story about a tiny art gallery that encourages you to steal their art
Open 24/7, no guards
Seemed kinda cool
>>
>>1905827
>It's like 2000 yen ($20) a day
why even rent at this point in tokyo?
>>
>>1904524
Japanese firms really value youth and hire for life
You might find it hard to get hired by a traditional company if you're almost 40 with no experience
But by all means follow your dreams
Worst case scenario you can teach english, which is well paid
>>
File: wojak-bartender.jpg (10 KB, 267x189)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
>booked my Japan trip on 8/15/2019 (first time) for 2 weeks during hanami
>bought plane tickets, JR pass and insurance, even bought SIM card
>3 weeks before trip start
>rona hits
>stuck in my own country, living my ordinary life and forgetting my planned trip
>yesterday I opened instagram (I barely use it, I hate social networks) and I saw my SEA oneitis who lives in Japan acting all horny and shit
>tfw realize how horny and pathetic I am. I just turned 26 and I feel like my social life is such a huge failure.
so how are you holding up fellow anons?
>>
>>1905826
you need a job to get work visa
>>
>>1905840
I live in Japan and I'm honestly the happiest I've been in my adult life.
>>
>>1905843
i know, you can search for a job in japan and change your visa in case you were unaware of the fact.
>>
File: 1588672366495.gif (1.07 MB, 300x225)
1.07 MB
1.07 MB GIF
>Americans finally invented vaccine but don't want to use it until April or something
>Olympics will take place from July 23 to August 8
Japan is gonna open on like July 15 isn't it? Either go there during that absolute shitshow, or wait even longer to go despite the country being open.
>>
>>1905850
What kind of school will you attend though?
>>
>>1905865
Prob open even later than that desu senpai. This shitshow has gone on so long that i dont see it ending anytime soon. If the virus mutates (hint: it will) we could be in for the long haul.
>>
>>1905840
>>1905844
>oof
knock out bartender anon with a bludgeon to the head why dont you
>>
>>1905844
Why is that?
It seems objectively better than my 3rd world country, but even rural Alabama or London is better.
>>
>tfw living vicariously through these threads and youtube
I wish I had a better job
I wish I was smarter
fuck me
>>
>>1905914
>It seems objectively better than my 3rd world country, but even rural Alabama or London is better

Lol, part of my family lives in rural Alabama. I take it you’ve never been or you’re a southerner LARPing as a non American.

Eh, I’ve worked in the US for over a decade in Columbus, Ga., Atlanta, Ga. Kalamazoo, Mi, and Chicago. I also did a 6 month contract in Qatar that paid well but was brutal.

Most American cities are shit, the South could be obliterated with an Asteroid and the US would be better for it.

But honestly, I like Japan. It’s easy to get around, people are polite, they don’t bug you with forced small talk, everything is generally clean, even living in Tokyo isn’t that expensive. I’m not some dancing monkey and I have a good job with normal hours and barely work OT, leaving me time to enjoy my hobbies.
>>
>>1905940
>Kalamazoo, Mi
Still way better than some cities in my third world country. Not by much mind you.
Right now my current job is from 0800 to 1800, add at least one hour of transit on a good day (usually one hour thirty to two)
Anything sounds better even some shitty place in like rural burgerland is way better than here. If anything you can just move within the country to a better place, but here? there isn't a better place.
>>
>>1905824
If he can't go his time in japan without smoking weed, he deserves it.
>>
>>1905840
>8/15/209
>rona hits

Messed up your larp there anon, no country was closed at that time unless you were literally ground 0 person
>>
>>1905827
>>1905830
Because APA's are closer to like 50-65 dollars not 20, maybe right now they are 20 to try and attract people but they usually hover around 5000 yen/day.
>>
>>1905865
Most likely be this
>vaccine becomes available
>6 months after seeing numbers drop strict reopen guidelines open
>guideline must be healthy+proof of vaccine within X months
>testing before/after flight

Really going to come down to how the vaccine plays on peoples nerves since we already see covid not being anywhere near what WHO said.
>>
>>1905970
He booked/planned his trip that day you moron
>>
>>1905942
>Right now my current job is from 0800 to 1800, add at least one hour of transit on a good day (usually one hour thirty to two)
South American here, sounds like my life.
>>
>>1905824
Why though, have you never been to Japan? People are heavy smokers. Weed is not gonna raise any eyebrows.
>>
>>1906002
Brother. Hence why even shit places in the USA seem better by comparison.
Gringos have no idea how good they have it
>>
>>1905829
sounds based, thanks anon!
>>
I've saved up 50k USD for my upcoming Japan trip. Will this last me a weekend?
>>
>>1905970
see this
>>1906001
also I'm from Shitaly so yeah we were ground 0
>>
>>1906023
A single night if you are lucky.
>>
File: 1515027031099.jpg (42 KB, 451x575)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
>>1906003
You are correct, I didn't account for them not telling the difference between cigarettes and weed since they don't even know what weed is.
>>
>>1905879
language school or something similar
>>
What's Okinawa like?
Are the people there as fatigued of foreigners as people in Tokyo/Kyoto?

Is the weather worse than in Tokyo?
Just wondering as I've never been south of Nagoya and haven't met any Japanese person from there. I've been stuck in Kanagawa for a long time, would like to try a different place.
>>
>>1906196
Okinawa has probably the most Americans given the population of any place in Japan. It's a huge US military base of operations that makes yokosuka look silly.

>Is the weather worse than in Tokyo?
I've liked it +90F in the summer, 70's in the winter.
>>
>>1906196
Imperial Japan treated Okinawans like second class citizens and used their women and children as unwilling suicide bombers, and it was the final and biggest battlefield in WW2 so all the significant US bases are there.
Okinawans are their own people basically. They don't care about Japan or foreigners and just wanna be themselves.
>>
>>1906196
Okinawa is extremely relaxed and chill to foreigners compared to Kyoto and Tokyo. Probably because they're used to the obscene amounts of GI's so the whole place has been Americanized.
>>
>>1906023
A purse for 1 yen coins is about 2000 USD, keep that in mind.
>>
>>1906155
I mean if you got the funds, go for it. But most language schools are just vessels for 3rd worlders to get jobs in factories or 7/11s
>>
>>1906196
Okinawa was a US territory from 1945 to 1972. The easiest way to describe it is if Japan and Florida had a baby.
>>
>>1905942
I mean, I realize the US isn’t a terrible place to live. I’ve been to 3rd world shitholes before. But comparing between the 2. I feel Japan is more my speed than the USA.
>>
>>1906335
3rd worlder here, thanks for the tip.
>>
>>1906341
not a good idea.
I know, I've done that.
>>
>>1906290
>used their women as suicide bombers
based
>>
Assuming the world has gotten back to some semblance of normalcy, I'm planning to be in Japan next September/October, and I'd like to build a foundation for the language before I get there.

Can anyone ITT speak on whether or not Rosetta Stone or Pimsleur are worth the time/money?
>>
>>1906402
There are a bunch of things on soundcloud, you can find them pretty easily and would suggest going that route first.
https://soundcloud.com/user-205837469/learn-japanese-while-you-sleep-learn-japanese-125-basic-phrases-subtitles-from-youtube
Is one that's pretty good for some basics I've recommended to a few friends, I wouldn't suggest trying the learn while sleeping. Pretty good to go through on a walk or something.

Amazon also has free books, flashcards, and basic learning materials if you are prime. Would suggest using those to first, then see about Rosetta Stone or other paid services
>>
>>1906402
I'm N3, currently studying for N2.
>Pimsleur
is alright when you're first starting out

>Rosetta Stone
Is a waste of time

There's really not secret sauce to learning Japanese. Just get a Japanese textbook and the supplemental material and study. Do Anki/Wanikani for vocab and Kanji.
>>
>>1906402
If you know English and Spanish knowing how to read and pronounce things becomes rather easy.
Remembering the kanjis and "syllabaries" is just practice and practice.
Things like: https://bilingualmanga.com/manga/chis-sweet-home
That have the furigana for kanjis helps.
>>
>people STILL trying to convince people that teaching English pays well
LMAO. I have a top secret clearance, an A&P, and a Bachelor's in Aviation Maintenance. I work for the US Gov with the Japanese military fixing the Japanese Ospreys for $120k a year, paid housing, and only get taxed on about $10k of that. If you're going to Japan to teach english you'll get a max of $30-$40k a year.
>>
>>1906667
It pays well compared to being a NEET like most people on 4chan would end up as. Most people going into JET/ESL are looking for an excuse to restart life prospects and get out of their current situations.

Also who cares how much you make, I can make 6 figs back in consulting but it's dogshit IMO. I'll take a little less just for the overall happiness and ability I had to fuck off to japan multiple times a year as needed. Money ain't everything.
>>
How accomodating is Japan for someone with a physical disability (missing right leg in my case)?

Realistically, what is the chance I'm gonna get my fuck on? I hear a lot of places in Japan are snotty and reject foreigners, they gonna double reject a foreign cripple?

Not interested in going to Japan just to do some cute girls, but if I'm there I'm gonna damn well try.
I also want to eat some absurdly expensive sushi, get moderately drunk and see (and maybe buy) a bunch of weeb shit.
>>
>>1906688
Are you obese?
>>
>>1906702

No. I've always been pretty skinny and since I lost my leg I've been stupidly light on account of losing a fucking legs worth of weight.

Last time I was weighed I was 50.4Kg.

I just want to know if it'll be possible to have a good experience in Japan as a cripple with one leg.
>>
>>1906703
Yeah you will be fine, I am assuming you have a prosthetic and can climb stairs.
>>
>>1906711

I got a wheelchair and crutches at the moment. Using crutches I can get up and down stairs easy. Hoping to get a prosthetic leg soon (I only lost the leg a month ago, still recovering), will probably be able to get up/down stairs with it.
>>
>>1906673
Yeah but if you're living IN japan, $30-$40k isn't a lot by any means. Whereas $120k to live in Japan with free housing working american hours is a goddamn dream
>>
>>1906715
Crutches would probably be ideal. Most of the places in tokyo have ramps and/or elevators for the stations. It was very few places I did not see easy access for wheelchairs. In 2019, I saw they were installing some of those electric chairs that go up stairs, but none of them were functioning yet
>>
>>1906721

Only problem with crutches is they're not made for range. 300 meters is about max before needing to take a rest. 2km is about the absolute max you could go in a day and that is going to be so exhausting it'll take days to recover.

Like I said, I'm hoping to have a decent prosthetic leg by then anyway.

I'm more interested in knowing how the people will respond to and treat a cripple.
>>
>>1906718
okay and? Average income in tokyo is around 37-38k, with the JET benefits it's not horrible.

Not everyone needs 6 figs to be happy.
>>1906688
Fairly OK most places have elevators, most won't care just keep in mind that if you're slower than most that you may want to take cars farther from the stairwells. Generally no one really cares so long as you aren't in a wheel chair which makes shit near impossible.
>>
>>1906740
$37k in tokyo is fucking awful dude
>>
>Stayed at like some 15 dollar hostel, no AC swamp cooling only, ate 711, did buses to get around. Was pretty hell
Sounds like youre retarded. I payed 18 bucks a night for my own appartment with small kitchen. If you think saving 3 bucks a night to stay in some smelly hostel and only eat from conbinis you got to be kidding
>>
>>1906750
Never said it was a luxury anon, it is doable however with proper budgeting and benefits/exemptions often offered by JET/ESL companies. Like stated, most people going into JET often are looking just for a job+live in Japan. 35-40k for some people is enough along with living in japan, not everything is about money. I was using Tokyo median income as a staple, if you're in another prefecture it will most likely be a bit lower.

There are definitely better paying jobs in Japan over what contracting/DoD positions can make but they aren't for everyone; and not everyone is suited for it. People are going to work and live differently and can be happy off that, it's not a competition to have X salary in Y place to achieve that validation from others to be happy. I could easily go make a fair bit more, but I'd have to report into an office and wouldn't have been able to fuck off to japan/china/korea as much as I have in the past. Everything has it's pro's and cons.

Also I don't think anyone really is going into JET thinking they will make it rich unless they are from an poor country. Additionally, most people I know or have met doing JET are only doing it for a few years. One of my friends got accepted into JET is just going to do it for 4-5 years, then either look at changing jobs or moving back home to do something there. With 4-5 years teaching in Japan it can open up other opportunities.
>>
>>1906764
Who are you projecting about anon?
>>
>>1906773
Outside of a ticket out from a third world country and/or way to get experience while maybe learn another language. Jet only seem to be that, a step towards something else.
Hey someone might actually enjoy being the monkey while having a roof and food when otherwise he would be in the streets.
>>
>>1906740
Avg income in tokyo is that low because the people making that live nowhere near Tokyo and commute to work
>>
>>1906773
>There are definitely better paying jobs in Japan over what contracting/DoD positions can make but they aren't for everyone
DoD employees make more than anyone in country except high level positions like CEOs and shit
>>
>>1906788
Some people might have a passion to live in Japan, making the JET salary isn't living large but given the benefit of living in Japan and having a job is good enough for a lot of people. There are more things than cash to it, some JET people aren't US so the ability for DoD is out the window. Last offer in Japan I had was about 8 mill yen, didn't take it because I don't want to work in an office. I'd rather make a bit less and have the freedom of moving around while working than be tied into an office from 9-5

>>1906793
Congrats on stating the obvious? The income is also low because it's a pretty varied prefecture. Tokyo city proper is different than the prefecture, I was stating the Tokyo Prefecture median. Most people making upwards of 10m/y are either moving in from a foreign office, contracting(dod or not), or working some sales job.

>>1906795
Cool? That doesn't instantly mean you are more happy because your number is higher. I've made a metric fuck ton when consulting, didn't exactly mean I was happier at that time.

Lots of ways to enjoy yourself in Japan, needing to fit a standard someone else on an anime message board told you to do is silly. Enjoy your life how you want lol
>>
>>1906798
Remember the subhuman you were replying to is American.

Americans are jewish golems who only see money as a source of happiness. Absolutely disgusting vile beasts.
>>
>>1906817
I'm American though?
>>
Can anyone on the ground comment on the situation in Tokyo with regards to covid? I want to buy a ticket for next October to stay a couple weeks in the city but am concerned people will still be sheltering and nightlife will suck. Hoping that vaccines and the departure of cheeto hitler stabilize perceptions on covid internationally
>>
>>1906835
>departure of cheeto hitler
ah so you're literally a teenage girl.
Carry on.
>>
I plan to go late next year and I'm not that much of a shopper.
How much should I calculate for daily allowance excluding hotel stays?
>>1904096
pot is banned
my Japanese teacher actually ran into a guy during his stay in Japan that was convinced that pot will cause your brain to melt out of your ears.
>>
>>1906835
>cheeto hitler
Gringos are so delusional.
>>
>>1906451
Nice. Is N1-N5 standardized/accredited? Where do you go to get tested?
>>
>>1906851
He lost, queer. Get over it. Open season on white women too
>>
>>1906881
>>1906835
>this posts
The USA is basically Brazil with nukes.
>>
>>1906885
I can literally fly to your shit hole third world hell right now and fuck every woman in your family and neighborhood for half a day's pay. Know your place
>>
>>1906853
>my Japanese teacher actually ran into a guy during his stay in Japan that was convinced that pot will cause your brain to melt out of your ears.
It's true, spend 5 min talking to the average pothead.
>>
>>1906888
lmfao ameriniggers are so delusional

Go kneel for some crack addicted nigger faggot.
>>
>>1906888
>implying a random flaite wont simply rob you while you cry like a little bitch
Delusional fucks
>>
I have a severe seseme allergy; how fucked am I for a first trip to japan? What can I do to try to avoid foods and drinks with sesame products in them?
>>
>>1906893
>>1906896
Two queers
>>
>>1906888
can you please stop doing that, we already have enough Amerigolems halfbreeds running around here.
>>
>>1906870
https://www.jlpt.jp/e/

Are you not aware of the JLPT? It’s the most widely accepted Japanese language test.
>>
>>1906913
It also doesn't mean shit and is not an accurate representation of how good your japanese actually is.
>>
>>1906928
Don’t you need at least a N2 if you want to work in Japan (outside of teaching)?
>>
>>1906928
N1-N5 stuff is still a good frame work to guide you through learning some shit if you suck at learning by yourself. It can have some decent mile stones to get some of the fundementals to start with, you'll still sound like a 3rd grader most the time and probably get fustrated/lost in Japan the first time someone starts speaking. My friend has an N3, got lost all the time in Japan anyone who spoke to him after he opened in Japanese would go too fast and he'd get lost. N# are a good start, listen to some pod casts or radio stations to pick up on slang/idioms/etc.

>>1906932
Really depends especially in tech, some of my friends who code have 0 N# were hired and working to this day picked it up on the go. I've seen plenty of N2 or N3+expirence, IT/CS is easy to get in with less requirements. Just realize that IT/CS in Japan is stupid underpaid compared to North America and a fair bit of the EU, so be ready to deal with some absolute spaghetti code and whacky configurations you'll never find anywhere else.
>>
>>1906932
No. I went into an interview in tokyo for an electrical engineering position and used japanese the whole time. Asked if they needed an N cert and they laughed and said, "Those are useless." Got an offer but went to an American company that paid 3x as much over in Yoko.
>>
>>1906932
N level requirements on postings are generally to deter weebs who 'learned japanese from anime' from the flood of applicants they get per day
>>
>>1906928
I never said it was good. I’ve met people who were N1 that could barely make sentences. But it is the most widely accepted language certification in Japan.
>>
>>1906939
Your anecdotal experience isn’t the rule poorfag.
>>
>>1906932
In my experience if a company anywhere in the world is hiring someone that is not a native as long as they can communicate they do not give a fuck.
Those grades are mostly there to prevent Pajit Muhdik from flooding whatever system they have.
>>
File: jw96kcnk5gw51.jpg (448 KB, 700x800)
448 KB
448 KB JPG
Heytrv Im abit new here I was wondering how much one should have saved for a trip to Japan? Was planning on going with friends with covid dies down. As well as asking whats the best time to go for cheaper flights
>>
>>1906888
please stay in your banana republic.
>>
>>1906953
100/day is good for most people who are willing to stay in your averag APA chain hotel.

>As well as asking whats the best time to go for cheaper flights
Impossible to say, since Japan isn't open no one knows. When shit opens it will be as good as any
>>
>>1906898
reddit has or had a thing where you could copy a series of food allergy phrases to show restaurants. You should be fine with yakiniku places, ramen and other soups might contain sesame oil, then yakitori might brush some sesame oil on the meat before cooking. Some sauces will contain sesame or have it available on the table, along with sesame seeds. If you get a burg, it might be a sesame seed bun.
>>
>>1906953
>As well as asking whats the best time to go for cheaper flights
Not during the Olympics, that's for sure. You'll be gouged for accomodation and flights.
>>
Which is better? Matsuri or New Years? I'll be spending 2 of my weeks out of three in Kansai/Chugoku/Kyushu
>>
>>1906888
checked and based
>>
File: images.jpg (14 KB, 348x145)
14 KB
14 KB JPG
>We’re in Japan on vacation, its warm, but not too warm, but warm enough to be walking around in shorts or summer dress.
>We pick out a spot on a field, filled with pretty flowers and green grass, next to a cherry tree that is filled with pink flowers.
>We put down a blanket on the grass, and our filled picnic basket, it has fruits, Swedish sandwiches’, and a cool fresh lemonade.
>I grab a hold on the side of your waist with both of my hands and I lay you down on the blanket, we kiss, tell each other stories, and we eat the fruit from our picnic basket.
>After 40minutes together, laying on our backs, snuggled together the sun settles, the day turns into night and we can see the stars more clearly.
>My warm hand goes inside your dress from the bottom. We continue kissing, and slowly the steady breathing goes to moaning and heavily breathing.
>We make love there on the field together, in japan, next to a cherry tree.

>...70 years after the woman travels back to the same place, she neatly puts down a blanket next to the tree, pours sweet lemonade into a glass.
>She lays down on the blanket and stares deeply into the photograph of her husband (you)
>>
>>1906775
Some Anon in this thread who doesnt deserve my you. If they would just do proper research beforehand they wouldnt have to live like hobos during their stay in Japan
>>
>>1904064
niggerloving monkeyspeak faggot take the fucking word based out of the op so this thread isnt filtered for me fuck you whitey piece of shit
>>
>>1906718
If your life was so good you wouldn't constantly be in these threads talking about it.
>>
Going to Nagano tomorrow. My one and only vacation this year. I might go biking along the mountains if it isn't pouring rain. Charging my gopro right now. Probably just going have lots of cozy hotel sex and baths.
>>
>>1906898
You're proper fucked.
>Sit down to restaurant.
>アレギですか?
>Huh?
>アレギ?
>Oh, allergies? Yes. Sesame.
>Ooooooooーー。U-aito pleese.
>*waiter goes someplace. Comes back five minutes later with the manager and two chefs*
>U-wato ees aregi, preese?
>Sesame.
>おおおおおおおーー。
>そうか。そうですね。
>しょうがないね。
>Sorry but u-we cannot sarv you here. Pleese go now.
>What?
>Yes. Pleese leave now.
>O...okay...
>>
>>1906056
Glad to know you understand, anon.
>>
>>1906898
Just say アレルギーのためゴマまたはゴマ製品抜きでないと致命的かもしれない
>>
staying in kyoto for a year, me want jap gf what do? the govt still hasn't issued me one
>>
>>1905111
Dude. Staples in hiro. Whats the best spot im going in 2 days
>>
I got my associates degree last year and want to go back to school. Financial aide paid for everything and I think they'd pay for my bachelores as well. Question is how do I go about getting financial aide to cover studying abroad? What can I even study in japan aside from Japanese?
I took 4 Japanese courses in college, but graduated in television and film and now work as a camera man and editor for news. Guessing it won't be easy to find a career like that over sees hm?
>>
>>1907233
Learn Japanese and get a subscription on pairs.lv
>>
>>1907240
Get a real degree in engineering or cyber/analytics and work for a government contractor like>>1906667. It's what I do and life is pretty comfy. You don't want to work for a Japanese company because
A. Shit wages
B. Shit benefits
C. Shit hours
I don't know about others but I get 100% healthcare coverage with 100% refund for like $30/month, I work american hours, and I get a shitton of vacation days. Like the other guy said too, tax free up to $110k.
>>
>>1907091
it's this retard again
>>
>>1907265
What about working at Japanese universities
>>
File: theketchap2.jpg (109 KB, 1080x1080)
109 KB
109 KB JPG
redpill me on Hellotalk as a dating app and the "I want to study english" jap girls meme.
>>
>>1907285
You need a masters or a doctorate
>>
>>1907289
It's not a dating app and most girls will think you're a creep if you approach them with said intentions. That said, if you're a decent human then you can start a long term, long distance friendship that eventually blossoms into a relationship. Long distance is hard though. If you just wanna flirt/fuck then all you're going to get is menhera AKA unstable, crazy women.
>>
>>1907297
planning on a doctorate
>>
The coof is going nowhere. Before the coof I had a contracting job in Afghanistan lined up that would have set me up for life. Not because it was hard or im smart just because they pay a lot for the chance of dying.

The world kinda sucks and im not interested where its going but I would like to go to Japan one last time.

During the plague I have been working on my bachelors online so I can monkey dance if need be and saving as much money as I possibly can.

Are there any other useful things I can be doing in the mean time? I have an active secret clearance, SEC+, and im currently drilling for the last exam to get a Windows 10 Admin badge or whatever stupid shit DoD has decided is their baseline cert requirement now.

I will most likely not learn any japanese because I dont fucking care to speak japanese.
>>
>>1907265
What exactly do you do as a job and where in japan do you stay?
>>
>>1905820
maybe vaping it but they will notice a dank smell
>>
>>1907347

Most of these DoD niggers were already faggots in the US military my guy. They got a job making 8x their military pay to do whatever their military job was. Whether that was fist fucking jet engines, helping boomer officers get into their outlook, or working some god awful radar system on a fucking boat.

Dont believe their horse shit that its just some oh you just get this easy contracting job and do nothing in nipponland.

Are you under 20? Join the airforce or the navy right now, pick any technical job, suffer for 3 years, bail and get these jobs anywhere there is a US base.
>>
>>1907347
Misses Air Base doing avionics maintenance and engineering for the F-35 fleet
Basically what >>1907353 said. It's not easy work because of the technical nature of it but the time spent at work and the free time I get outside and the pay is far better than what I would get as an English teacher. And the work is intellectually stimulating if that means anything
>>
File: file.png (230 KB, 587x440)
230 KB
230 KB PNG
>>1907232
>>1906956
Thanks for the advice, I do really appreciate the help. Shame that one of the few countries I'd actually love to visit is so obsessed with the thing that makes me so violently ill. I just want to get some retro consoles for a reasonable price and take in the culture. Advice on those two things would be appreciated as well.
>>1907206
This is pretty much the thing I fear the second most. Hopping from one dining room to the next until SOMEONE is willing to not cook with seseme (and obviously avoid cross contamination)
The thing I fear most is them just not even giving a shit. I give them my allergy and they assume it's like a mild reaction, or just a request instead of a life threatening condition.
Or if they assumed it was just the seed (Who thinks like this?! I have this asked all the time.) or any sesame seed products. Obviously all sesame seed products, not like I've peeled the skin off a sesame seed to see if it can still make me sick. If it were just the seeds, I'd have specified that.
I just don't want to have to carry around a suitcase of granola bars or something just so I don't starve to death in japan.
>>
>>1907374
Sometimes I feel like gringos are playing life in easy mode.
I basically need to spend 5 years on a basic degree and another 3 for shitty master that is hardly of value anywhere but inside the country in order to hope nepotism does not fuck us hard
>>
>>1906196
been to many places in Nipponland including Oki as a Marine

naturally, i wanted to get the fuck away from marines any time i left base. thats almost impossible to do in Oki. so unless you dont mind constantly being around military aged american males at every bar u go to, dont bother... still a great place i would def recommned, had some great times there, the bar/club scene is packed w marines all trying to fuck the same jap chicks youre going after .. often times its a sausage fest but ive had some great times despite it. the beaches are really nice and the outer,smaller islands outside of the main island of oki so absolutely beautiful. unfortunately i never got to visit.

if u go, check out Naha (little farther away from most bases so not as many GIs, but still plenty) , umikaji terrace, and american village.
>>
>>1907394
Why are South Americans who travel abroad so insufferable?

Is it because they all grew up wealthy?
>>
>>1907233
Try Tinder, or maybe even Hellotalk
>>
>>1907394
I mean I did 6 years enlisted navy then a 4 year degree
>>
>>1907408
>so unless you dont mind constantly being around military aged american males at every bar u go to, dont bother
sounds like trash.
Too bad, seems like there are some really beautiful places over there. Not a fan of Americans specially military.
>>
>>1907289
Don't listen to this faggot: >>1907300

Japanese cuties highly respect a based and red-pilled white man. Using HelloTalk to hookup with "looking for language partners" is highly underrated. The best way to learn another language is by being with a foreign lover.
>>
>>1907464
honestly, even still i would recommend it
maybe its because ive had many great memories there so i might be biased, and me being brazilian helped me meet brazilian chicks there.... its a cool place, kind of shanty looking compared to the rest of japan. i had e
happened to have a great time... cant guarantee you would have the same experience though
>>
My phone has been stuck “In Progress” since February and I can’t go back to Tokyo to fix it. Is the only solution to buy a new iPhone?
>>
>>1907774
The solution is to go back to Tokyo.
>>
>>1907774
reinstall the app, or factory reset if it's completely stuck
>>
>>1907514
Brazilian chicks... in Okinawa?
>>
>>1907916
There’s a lot of Brazilians in Japan
>>
>>1907920
I'm aware there are many Brazilian/Jap descendants but mostly in Nagoya and Gifu from what I thought, had no idea they'd be over in Okinawa.
>>
>>1905935
Get off your self-pitying ass and apply yourself. Work hard, grind and make something of your worthless life.
>>
>>1907967
you're probably a firstie.
>>
>>1905658

imagine going all the way to Japan just to eat nothing but gutter tier cheap food the ENTIRE time...
>>
>>1905746

some people travel primarily for food you know. why fly across the earth to eat shit food you could find in your home country. Why not some of the time, go for better food which you cant really get at home easily.
>>
>>1907931
You can find them everywhere, like flips.
>>
How many of you travel to japan knowing zero japanese?

I couldn't fathom travelling to a country while not being to have a basic conversation with people at least.
>>
I like Japanese history but hate weebs with a passion. Can I get away with avoiding animu shit while still enjoying the culture?
>>
>>1908210
Why do you hate weebs?
>>
>>1908210

easily. Went there several times and the closest I ever came to anime or anything weeby was the stinky fuck i was sat next to on the flight back home who was reading manga the entire flight
>>
>>1908210
You're a weeb
>>
>>1908186
i went on exchange to japan for 4 months while basically only knowing hello and thanks, i knew i was going to get lessons there though
>>
>>1908224
He’s just a weeb trying to play it cool
>>
File: mega beef.png (1.47 MB, 708x821)
1.47 MB
1.47 MB PNG
>>1908145
More expensive doesn't mean better, pic is a decent waygu A5 meal for 3500 yen. Damn good food for cheap. Some of the best food I've had was just from random places slightly off the beaten path. Been so much that some of my most favorite foods are just shitty weird cheap meals.

>>1908186
It's easy, you'd be suprised how many people in the country speak really good english. Lot's of people from the bubble times with the economy moved out to the country and now living there. Some own bars and would shoot the shit with me on the tech startups they worked for back in the 80's
>>
File: 000.jpg (38 KB, 780x438)
38 KB
38 KB JPG
I don't understand how any of you fucks are planning on traveling to japan when they literally have their borders shut to all tourists.
>>
>>1908350
Nothing to do right now but plan out for when it reopens.
>savin money for big trip
>working out for getting in better shape
>studying up on some Japanese terms
>researchin cool places to visit

Literally the best use of this time for anyone wanting to visit in the future
>>
>>1908350
Planning is fun.
>>
>>1908224
People who have to state "I'm not a weeb but..." are generally weebs scared thinking that Kanji-san will see them in Akihabara and go ROOOK AT DA WHAITE PIGGU BUYING COMICS HAHAHA GO HOME PIGGU!
>>
>>1906667
If you're non-American you have to teach English. Japan hates chinks and gooks, but aside from that they literally only care about/acknowledge America and they are very privileged when it comes to work.
>>
How easy is it to move between Asian countries? My family is taking a trip to Japan and I want to make the best of it by sticking around and traveling to as many other Asian destinations as possible.
>>
What's the drug scene like?
>>
File: doctor.jpg (5 KB, 275x183)
5 KB
5 KB JPG
Japan threads are always fascinating to me because so many South Americans pretending they are of the first world and talking down to others with their fake travel experience.
>>
Will other expats take the opportunity to gatekeep and dab on you with their superior Japanese while you're still starting out or will they sympathize? They were generally helpful in China with the occasional fuckhead
>>
>>1908350

I just went through the process of getting a student visa for a language school. going next week.
Can take advantage of the GoTo campaign so save some money
>>
>>1908672

which one did you pick? Thats what im gonna do. Just pay the 4k or whatever tuition costs for a tourists visa, fail spectacularly with zero effort, and enjoy less crowded my japan dream
>>
>>1908672
>language school

lel imagine falling for this.
Enjoy literally throwing money into a dumpster.
>>
>>1904531
I went to TUJ. I had a great time and came out able to speak Japanese. Some people complain that it's not a language school so if you want to be fluent you need to self study. I majored in Japanese and it's an actual academic degree with all of the requirements of a similar degree at any other school in America.

As for the degree itself you are given a degree by temple main campus and it's exactly the same as what someone who went to school in philadelphia would get. It is however also accredited in Japan as well so in reality it's better. Whether they have a major you would consider getting a degree in is a different question.

There are an ass load of GI bill people there. The school is about 45% american, 45% japanese, and 10% every other country.

As a random bonus when I went there the campus was just a shitty office building. Now however it shares a campus with showa women's university which I think is quite a bonus.
>>
Are IT jobs really that bad in Japan? I was thinking about moving to Japan in a year and look for a Dev Ops jobs. Reading the thread its better if I work for an American company but I'm not even sure where to even look.
>>
File: 2263.jpg (33 KB, 620x372)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
It's on lads, we fightn for the emperor

"Australia is only the second country Japan has clinched a defence partnership with in its post-war history.(US Army: Markus Castaneda)"

And Scomo is going to get us in there in the travel bubbo before the burger kings can even board a plane.
>>
>>1908668
Sure, there are some people that will sperg out at you and complain “WHY DID YOU MOVE TO MY JAPAN IF YOU ARENT EVEN FLUENT IN JAPANESE LIKE I AM REEEEEEE.” Worst offenders I’ve seen of this are white Anglo girls. They usually come to Japan as ALTS and we’re able to stick around and potentially now “work” as jvloger/jblogers or dj’s. You shouldn’t care what other people’s opinions are especially when the people that are predominantly gatekeeping are the biggest weeaboo faggots that are all self hating losers thinking the grorious Yamamoto bloodline will save them.
>>
>>1908186
10 million people plus who visited Japan think you're a fucking retard.

They outnumber you. But I for one am glad for your point of view. Stay away cunt, stay the fuck away you burger eating fat shit. Don't go 'til ur N1
>>
>>1908776
Those people are pathetic, and so are you people who consider anyone who likes Japan a weeb who thinks it's "grorious".
>>
>>1904968
Daiso sells them in Australia, they actually smokers breath mints
>>
>>1908745
IT jobs in Japan kinda suck hard in terms of pay, a "good" salary is like 60k which for what work you have to do is dogshit. You're better off working a remote job in the USA and nomading or just doing contract work through some place
>>
>>1907062
Hahahahaha wtf
>>
>>1908812
Well that's disappointing. I guess I'll just find some remote work then. Not sure how'd that work with timezone differences though.
>>
>>1908827
It kinda sucks but done it, for reference schedule looked like this
>930/10pm - Wake up grab food or something login to vpn/check some emails/shower
>10-2am work
>2am lunch
>2-6am work
>6/630, finish work prep for going out
>7ish->noon, do whatever I wanted
>1-2pm head back home
>3pm shower/sleep
>grab 6-7 hours of sleep and repeat

Left me enough time to do most things and was the easiest to flip for weekends and events. Not for everyone but easy enough, I know some people who do work after their day out but imo that's a bit more risky. Best part of being up early is usually for things you want to do you'll be first for it
>>
>>1907062
about the cringiest garbage I've read here
>>
>>1908839
sounds like garbage desu, also wtf do you need a VPN for in Japland?
>>
>>1908839
That doesn't seem too bad. I can probably make something work.
>>
>>1908843
>also wtf do you need a VPN for in Japland?
Because some systems/devices I can only access via a VPN for work.
>>1908847
It's not too bad, I strongly suggest doing work before going out. Far easier management of time, you can also figure out anything you want to do for the day while working. The biggest downer about working those hours is that often your "lunch" is meh, I often did just discount meal from lawsons or 711.
>>
>>1908847
Lol, what dipshit didn’t tell you is that you can’t get a visa doing remote IT work. He probably worked remote while on vacation.

>>1908668
Japan has got to have the most gatekeepers of any expat community.

Be leery of anybody telling you that living in Japan is hard and they need to show you the ropes.
>>
>>1908867
>Lol, what dipshit didn’t tell you is that you can’t get a visa doing remote IT work. He probably worked remote while on vacation.
I think that went without saying, US citizens can do 180 days per 365 days in Japan on 2 90 day visa's. You just stay there for a while, bounce to another country work there, then bounce back. If you are looking for long term visa, get a Working holiday visa when they are issued again, and if your country is applicable.

Obviously you can't just pack up move and sit there for however long you please, if you want long term look into contracting work for a US company like HP/Dell or Amazon to work in Japan. Amazon usually hires a fair bit of datacenter techs that need english
>>
Anyone tried workshops or classes? I'd be interested in learning pottery, judo, cooking, and architecture.
>>
>>1908590
Non-existent, I hope you try it and go to prison
>>
>>1908883
He can just look for any russians, they always have acid on them
>>
>>1908668
It's been a mix of both in my experience, although funnily enough the ones I've met who are sympathetic are also the ones who are actually fluent
>>
>>1908876
Oh, maybe manga drawing too.
>>
>>1908668
The people who know Japanese, like to a level of they can figure shit out in Japan without issue, are often the most chill people and rarely talk about it.
The people who dab and flex on people 24/7 are the paper N3/4/5's who basically can understand japanese through anime and shit on anyone not their level.
>>
>>1908871
But if he wants to actually live in Japan, then it isn’t sustainable.
>>
>>1908658
I am South American and have never seen one in this thread. It would be fun to meet one.
>>
>>1908935
Yeah which is kinda why that was answered in >>1908812 and anon questioned about doing something like a digital nomad thing in the following post.

Working for amazon is there, they hire anyone basically, you can make it but it sucks ass
>>
File deleted.
>>1904064
>>
>>1908887
>>1908931
My experience is the exact opposite. The most fluent Japanese expat I ever meant is also probably the worst person I’ve met since I was here.
>>
>>1908950
60k a year would put you at around 80k total compensation in Japan.
>>
>>1908980
Yeah which is still a step down, not even going to get started on the hours.

Also USA taxes >>>>>>>>>>> Japan's shit, make 8m in Japan? enjoy taking home 4.5ish depending what your prefectures taxation is. Yeah some exemptions are there for US contract workers but meh

>>1908978
Sucks, most people I know who speak jap don't mention it.
>>
>>1908987
>Some exemptions
For government contractors aka military contractors, foreign earned income is untaxed below $110k. Anything you earn more is taxed. It's based
>>
>>1908994
The exemption is now like near 130k, but you can also get that without doing government contracts depending on the contract. 110k is like obama era stuff bruh.
>>
>>1908994
what does working for the USA in japan work like
are you just shoved onto their military base for most of the time?
>>
>>1909000
Not that anon, most people do military contracts but you can easily get a job in the US and work in Japan in various levels. My friend works for a US based company but they ship him over to Japan off and on to check on shit. You can also do contracts for like Dell/Cisco/HP where you just go help customers do shit, other times you can work with Amazon or some shit.

Really depends but for the most part you don't have to deal with the bullshit most Japanese employed people deal with since you work through an agency. I've been in Japan where the only thing I did was watch a SQL DB upgrade even though on the plane ride over I did all the work I had to physically be there for the go live.
>>
>>1909000
No. As a contractor I own a house out in town, go to work 7-4, weekends off so I just travel around the country with my wife. Sometimes we drive,. sometimes train, sometimes plane. Lots of freedom, no curfew, more money than I know what to do with.
>>
>>1908995
Wtf, last year they told me it was $110k. I only made $100 so it's not like I impacted but dayuuum can't wait for a raise.
>>
>>1909009
>$107,600 for 2020
Shit my bad, I was adding in COLA to it so yeah probably right on the ~100k.
>>
>>1909000
I work for the DoD, the only time I’m on base is for work. Most installations give you the option of living on base if you’re working directly for the the government. But service members get priority for on base housing (not that I’d ever want to live on base).

>>1908987
Maybe it’s a step down for the Bay Area, but you could easily live comfortably on 80k a year in Tokyo. I just don’t see the appeal of living out of a suitcase for years. It’s far from an efficient way to live, money wise.
>>
>>1909036
I debated living in Japan about 2 years ago, making 90k with US taxes and a low cost of living in my state vs. Living in Japan making that with some wonky shit, just isn't worth it. For me to move to Japan I need to make about, 10m to start. Fuck the bay area FANG shit.

>I just don’t see the appeal of living out of a suitcase for years.
Travel for work and my work allows me to throw my airline miles, hotel points, and pays me X per day of allowance, so it's not really all that bad. Been doing if for like ~7 years or so, just more of a way of life to me. As long as I can go to anime cons and stuff I am happy.

Been offered a few gigs in Japan but I stand firm in remaining a contractor with a US company, jumping ship to go full japanese ain't my cup of tea. I love visiting, working there, and shit; living there? Dunno if I could bring myself to that.
>>
>>1908364
Looking at hardcore loli in Akiba with Japs was the most bonding experience ever. None of us wore masks to hide our faces which I was surprised. I am a gaijin so it wasn't a problem if people saw my face, but I feel like I learned if you were in there in the first place that means you were like minded and therefore nothing to fear. We even interacted and said "excuse me" with short bows and stuff when moving between loli doujins.
God I miss it.
>>
>>1909043
You only make 90k?

Then I guarantee you haven’t stayed in Japan anywhere near 180 days in a year, unless the cost is being footed by somebody else.

Which in this guys case it wouldn’t be.
>>
>>1909078
>Then I guarantee you haven’t stayed in Japan anywhere near 180 days in a year, unless the cost is being footed by somebody else.

90k USD? Yeah fairly easy dude. Not sure how it's hard unless you are really shit with cash.

You have to be really stupid not to live okay on 90k unless you fell for the cali meme for living
>>
>>1909084
But you’d live a lot more efficiently on 90k in Japan, unless you’re staying in share houses in the middle of nowhere.
>>
>>1908886
How about mdma?
>>
>>1909111
Who cares about that shit anon? The stuff I can do in the US far outweighs that shit. I don't live in the middle of no where I just am not some dipshit who is drunk on cali/coastal life. Been there doon that, fuck it because it's stupid.

>unless you’re staying in share houses in the middle of nowhere.
ah I see you never lived in japan
>>
>>1909119
>ah I see you never lived in japan
says the guy paying double the rent of everybody else in the building of the short term rental he's staying in.

Let me help you. that 60k Amazon job is a better paying job than your job assuming you're coming out of pocket for your travel and housing.
>>
File: 1605429668705.jpg (931 KB, 2333x3500)
931 KB
931 KB JPG
>>1909128
>says the guy paying double the rent of everybody else in the building of the short term rental he's staying in.
No clue what the fuck you are talking about dude. When I did that it was a sharehouse, so nah not that bad. Really I like hostels though because it's no nonsense and private rooms are easy.

>Let me help you. that 60k Amazon job is a better paying job than your job assuming you're coming out of pocket for your travel and housing.
I literally have no clue what this is suppose to mean. If I were to look at out of pocket travel I am looking at <500 for round trip to japan and ~15 dollars a night at grids.. If that is too much for you then git gud.
>>
>>1909147
>No clue what the fuck you are talking about dude. When I did that it was a sharehouse, so nah not that bad. Really I like hostels though because it's no nonsense and private rooms are easy.
Yeah like I said, you can't even afford an apartment.

>I literally have no clue what this is suppose to mean. If I were to look at out of pocket travel I am looking at <500 for round trip to japan and ~15 dollars a night at grids.. If that is too much for you then git gud.
LOL, my sister works for an airline. I would love to see the itinerary of $500 round trip flight to Japan because standby flights cost around $450 round trip, or at least they did 3 years ago.
>>
Where to meet cute art girls in Tokyo other than Comiket?
>>
File: 354deaaa.jpg (83 KB, 800x785)
83 KB
83 KB JPG
I always wondered why this Japan thread always has people talking about "millitary contracts", "contracts" and "earning 80k-130k no taxes".

I thought it was a popular thing till i Just realised it's the same fucking faggot in EVERY SINGLE thread on here talking about himself, and his numbers always change to boot.

fucking lol
>>
>>1909204
There's a shitton of military contractors in Japan bro. Over millions worldwide
>>
>>1909206

Im just so sure they all flock to the the Japan thread on a nazi incel website. And they all live in the country side with that tidy life which is apparently so common on here too.

faggot.
>>
>>1909209
Every single military base is in a rural or ruralish area in japan. And I know a bunch that use 4chan
>>
>>1909204
Lmao agreed. Same dude that tries to push “you can’t live in Japan unless you make 100kUSD+” I literally just ignore the larper every time I see him post. No proof and delusional beliefs about Japan means larp till proven otherwise.
>>
>>1909322
>>1909204
LMAO at this cope
>>
I don't use a smartphone, do they sell SIM cards that are compatible with european phones? The kinds i can use to call my home country. No need for internet data
>>
>>1909268
Off the top of my head: Camp Zama, Atsugi, Yokota Airbase, Hardy Barracks, North Dock, and Yokosuka are all in the Tokyo Metro Area.
>>
File: IMG_20201123_135336.jpg (3.17 MB, 4608x2592)
3.17 MB
3.17 MB JPG
>>1908978
>>
>>1908954
>>
>>1909380
They're almost all out in the burbs. Zama is like two hours from central tokyo, Yokota is about 1 hour out, Yoko is about 1.5. Atsugi might be the closest.
If you're in aviation, Japan is THE spot to be, because there are so many engineering and technician jobs for the air wings on all the bases
>>
>>1909407
North dock is in Yokohama, Hardy Barracks is in Tokyo. I forgot the first time but there’s also the office of Naval Research in Tokyo as well.

Zama and Atsugi are like 5 miles apart from each other and you can reach Shinjuku in under and hour from both.

>I know because I work on Zama and live in Tokyo.
>>
>>1909427
I work at Yokota. Didn't even know Hardy Barracks was still used. The average contractor isn't going to get a job at NavRe though. Planning to buy a house in Tokyo early next year.
>>
>>1909427
ALSO, Camp Zama is like an hour and a half train ride/car ride wtf are you talking about
>>
>>1909440
Lol no it isn’t.

Sobudai Mae to Sagami Ono is a 5 minute train ride. The Rapid express is 41 minutes from Sagami Ono to Shinjuku.
>>
>>1909437
Hardy Barracks is where everybody goes to ROM now. It’s still in use.

Lol, I have a friend who works at Naval Research as a Civilian right now.

Don’t forget that Yokosuka is about a 40 minute train ride from Yokohama.
>>
>>1909445
Are you sure? Last time I took a train from Zama it was 1.5ish. Maybe I'm misremembering, I drive almost everywhere these days
>>
>>1909464
Did you take the local line or something?

Even if you took the regular express it would still be well under an hour and a half.
>>
>>1909472
Looking at google also gives me about a 1 hour 20 minute train ride from Zama
>>
>>1909480
Holy shit you’re retarded.

I bet you put Shinjuku and not Shinjuku station. It tacks on 11 minutes to walk to the Tokyo metro building, and having a bike cuts down the walk from the station to the base to well under half
>>
>>1909485
Ah, I'm a fucking idiot. Then I guess I was misremembering. Like I said, I rarely use the train
>>
>>1909407

Mate. you're writing style, the words you use etc is way to consistent. Enough bull shit. You have spent months maybe even years talking about the same shit over and over and it's just you. nobody else. Maybe a passing person here or there.

But your consistency and writing style gives you away. You can salvage some self respect if you just stop replying. This is an anonymous board, nobody will ever know. nobody will even care. You can mix up your writing style from now on or just stop with this lame bullshit.
I'm sure ur a nice guy but its lame as hell
>>
>>1909116
i had to eat out a fat girl while in japan in order to score some mdma :-(
>>
>>1909562
You okay bro? There's clearly the different people here:
Zama
Yokota (me)
And wherever they other guy is he never said.
You used the word "mate". Are you Australian? You guys always seethe whenever an American walks into a bar you're at.
>>
>>1908364
Man — I want to learn enough Japanese to read all the manga that will never get translated. I went to a bookstore in Los Angeles and the Japanese section dwarfed the English. I have a long ways to go; I've been working on hiragana and now katakana, and a local community college has some courses I'd like to take when everything opens up.
>>
girlfriend's birthday is coming up and I'm taking her to tour d'argent in Tokyo. It's got a dress code and the menus are absolutely insane. Everything sounds delicious, even the duck that's squeezed to death in a 19th century hydraulic press.
https://tourdargent.jp/pdf/ala_20201009.pdf
https://tourdargent.jp/pdf/d_20201009.pdf
>>
>>1909791
she's cheating on you
>>
>>1909791
price isn't so bad actually, pretty good!
>>
>>1909156
>Yeah like I said, you can't even afford an apartment.
Why would I stay in an apartment when I want to travel around to different prefectures in Japan, doing so wouldn't be cost efficient.
>I would love to see the itinerary of $500 round trip flight to Japan because standby flights cost around $450 round trip, or at least they did 3 years ago.
LAX->Xiamen/PVG->NRT NRT-Xiamen/PVG-LAX
Done it multiple times usally with a ~3 hour layover in PVG, some direct on ANA for ~500
>>
>>1909589
idk why but if she was japanese that doesnt sound so bad, probably the yellow fever
>>
>>1909322
> “you can’t live in Japan unless you make 100kUSD+”
That shit's annoying but realistically I wouldn't move to Japan unless my salary was 100k min, would be seating out COLA+relo. I make around 90 living in the US, and before the coof was flying to Japan 3-4 times a year to dick around and traveling around other places fairly regularly for shit.

Japan is great to visit but for living there I'm going to want a bump in various aspects. I'd rather just contract through a non military contract for 6/9/12/18 months doing some shit for a tech firm rather than relocate into Japan long term.
>>
>>1909987
90k as a contractor isn’t even that much money
>>
>>1910033
Good thing I am not contracting right now for that, though have seen plenty of contracts for ~75k for less than one years work which is pretty decent IMO. Sure someone is probably making more but meh, who cares it's not a high score competition.

Just saying that if I were to move to Japan the salary would need to start at 100k/10myen
>>
>>1904524
>six fig job
>US citizen
You would be throwing your life away even moreso by moving to Japan. It's the people. Japanese people are immature little cretins. Working for a Japanese company means being shouted at, publicly humiliated, and made to feel worthless. They don't even care about the quality of your work, they put priority on your social status. As a foreigner, you will always be below the crippled janitor.
The secret to happiness in Japan is staying in a gaijin bubble. If you can achieve that by staying on a military base, then by all means. But what about retirement? What about your kids?
>>
>>1904525
Yeah I stayed at an APA by chance one time and I was surprised at how nice it was. No more business hotels, no more shitty traditional inns next to the train track.
>>
>>1909445
Zama->Shinjuku is about 45/50 minutes assuming from Sobudai-mae. Zama station tacks on about 10 more minutes. It's basically an hour on the train. IMO If I just want a night out I'd probably just drink around Fujisawa, grimy little town that gives you most of what you would want in shinjuku and is ~30 min out.

>>1910058
Imo, the ideal way is to secure yourself a decent paying remote job in the US and just go off and on to Japan throughout the year. Work remotely in Japan as needed, stay a FTE with a company for retirement, insurance, benefits, secured pay. Pretty nice to just fuck off to Japan for 3-4 weeks at a time, doing that 3-4 times a year. No wonky visa shit to worry about, can easily change what places you fly into, can ship any purchases easily back home, and the change of scenery will help keep japan from becoming 'just another place you live'.
>>
I booked a flight to Tokyo in late June. Am I fucked as a burger? I know I can’t cancel it, but I’m hoping I can delay the ticket if needed.
>>
>>1910153
depends on corona, no one knows
>>
>>1910153
>bought a non refundable ticket during corona with no official word from Japan on reopening.
Hope this is a joke post. At best you're looking at a required PCR test before flight and after with a 72 hour quarantine/waiting for test results to clear/be validated. It's entirely possible to expect a 2 week quarantine on landing in June if it is open then.

> I know I can’t cancel it, but I’m hoping I can delay the ticket if needed.
Most airlines are doing an all sales final on international travel and warn you heavily about it. Only hope is the flight is cancelled by the airline if you did not purchase insurance. Hope you didn't pay too much.
>>
>>1910066
You aren’t wrong. I’m just saying, Tokyo is pretty accessible from Zama, hell, it only takes about 10 minutes to get to Machida, which IMO is better than Fujisawa.
>>
>>1910153
It’s a risky move but I think restrictions will be relaxed by then
>>
>>1910153
I wouldn't say you're fucked, but you're likely pushing it.
>>
June seems really early to chance it, realistically looking at late July/August for visiting at the earliest.
>>
There are people living in Japan. Right now. Wtf they just live there
>>
Literally how do I make friends here as a foreigner (chink)? I teach English in Kansai
>>
>>1910214
meetup.com
>>
>>1910058
>The secret to happiness in Japan is staying in a gaijin bubble.
reminds me of my exchange to japan in uni, you had the choice of staying in the dorm with international students or you could stay with a japanese family. the homestay people would often talk about how your japanese would improve much more quickly with a japanese family (that i won't dispute) and how it was a REAL japanese experience. some REAL experiences that i've heard from them:
>girl had dyed hair, would constantly be told dame
>guy was gay, would constantly be told dame
>guy was in a wheelchair, would often receive no help with anything
>guy had a curfew of 10 pm, even in the weekends

a lot of them had to swallow their pride and move to the dorms.
>>
>>1910238
The only one that's a real issue is the last one.
>>
>>1910058
>You would be throwing your life away even moreso by moving to Japan. It's the people. Japanese people are immature little cretins. Working for a Japanese company means being shouted at, publicly humiliated, and made to feel worthless. They don't even care about the quality of your work, they put priority on your social status. As a foreigner, you will always be below the crippled janitor.

>t. failed ALT
>>
>>1910238
>>girl had dyed hair, would constantly be told dame
>>guy was gay, would constantly be told dame
based.
Fuck your gayass hippie bullshit.
>>
>>1910161
wtf would anyone live in fucking Machida or Fujisawa?

There are plenty of cheap apartments in Setagaya or Taito.
>>
>tfw have a small business in Japan
>tfw wholesale import/export
>get all of the good aspects without any of the bad

Just find something you can do and that's possible to sponsor your own visa.
>>
>>1910581
>wtf would anyone live in fucking Machida or Fujisawa?
Context was clearly for a night out of drinking, if you live/work in Zama, dipping to those locations would probably be more ideal than heading into tokyo.
>>
>>1910579
This. Those people are exactly the reason I avoid gaijin bubbles like the plague.
>>
>>1910583
Gotta love retarded niggers like this.

Just fucking start a business in a foreign country in a different language anons! It’s so easy and I definitely did it all by myself! Before that I was a poor faggot in a 3rd world aids factory! I just worked hard!

Fucking kill yourself dork
>>
So many idiots think moving to Japan is going to fix their ennui filled, disappointing lives. Japan is a great place to visit, horrible place to work and live. Japanese society is suffocating and soul-crushing, hence why the Japs have built industries around escapist fantasy (anime/manga) and displacement activities (most Jap hobbies). Most idiots contemplating a move to Japan also have no luck with the women. I got news for you buddy, Japanese women are total whores. Even one as jaded and experienced as yours truly is astonished by how easily, and without remorse, your average Japanese woman will fuck you with no regard given to their bf, husband, family.
>>
>>1910681
Thanks captain obvious
>>
>>1910681
Can confirm. I made some events on meetup.com and am overwhelmed with lonely middle aged women.

Got a message from one who said the time of the event was inconvenient due to her husbands work, and gave me the hours that she can meet while her husband is busy. Once she found out I'm in my 30s she ghosted me, lol.
>>
File: wife meetup.png (31 KB, 593x707)
31 KB
31 KB PNG
>>1910684
Or maybe I wildly misinterpreted her, but I don't think so
>>
>>1910643
If you cannot learn Japanese or you think fluent Japanese is required to do business in Japan, you're the only retarded nigger around these parts.

Funny thing is I actually do come from a so called "3rd world country" and managed to do it while you seethe on a Samoan tilapia filleting youtube video.

KYS low achiever.
>>
>>1904107
I'm at $20k to my name but will end up at around $15k-$16k at the start of next year. Doesn't matter though because shit will still be closed until at least summer, and you're retarded if you go during Olympics so we have until Fall 2021 to grind savings.
>>
>>1910794
Summer is nice, I'd probably fly into Osaka or nagasaki. Been in summer before it's pretty great, not bothering with tokyo because been far too many times.
>>
anyone think 10k usd is enough for 2 months in Japan if i spend it wisely and travel with 3 other friends?
>>
>>1910939
10k should be fine for 3
>>
>>1910989
awesome
>>
>>1910238
>guy had a curfew of 10 pm, even in the weekends
Before the riots and corona I would be very annoyed about this. Now? It would just be a regular day for me.
Still dumb as hell, the rest of the things in that list are based.
>>
>>1911096
dude was staying in a dorm, curfew doesn't exist anywhere else but the dorms he was in
>>
>>1911131
I thought the family he was staying with had a curfew. My bad
That said dorms (for students) having curfew is not something unheard in other places of the world.
>>
>>1911133
With a family they could impose a curfew just for some regulation shit or so anon doesn't come home drunk ass piss each night at 2am
>>
>>1911562
Make sense.
>>
lol at anyone claiming they live in Japan yet are sitting here on /trv/
>>
Does anyone know anything about the Setagaya, Komae, or Machida areas? I just moved to japan, new job, and basically have to live along the Odakyu Line, and based on distance from work and school those were the best spots for me.
>>
>>1911667
I live in Setagaya on the Odakyu Line. Gotokuji Station. Setagaya is the snooty, old money side of Tokyo. I'm moving out of Gotokuji as soon as I have the chance.

Studio Ghibli is in Setagaya. The actual studio. You can't visit but you can walk past get some glances.
>>
>>1911670
I was looking at a place by seijogakuenmae station. Same deal there? I make pretty good money, and speak decent japanese.
>>
I've only ridden my bicycle through Seijigakuen-Mae. I think it's a typical suburb like the rest of Setagaya. Not really much to say.
>>
>>1911667
I live in Machida.
>>
>>1911680
>>1911675

I've only ever stayed in Adachi before so I don't know much about this area, but is it fairly amenable? Good access to shops, restaurants, worth settling down in for a couple years?

I picked the area because it's 40 minutes to and from my work and the school I'm trying to attend.

Anything of Note? Also is there any significant population of younger people/ other foreigners or am I gonna stick out like a sore thumb (23yo white)
>>
>>1911683
Machida has a huge station area on the odakyu line.

You can find pretty any major chain store and some local stores there
>>
>>1911629
lol at anyone who thinks living there somehow means you stop coming here
>>
>>1910681

>Japanese women are total whores

Sign me the fuck up. Once this lockdown and coronavirus shit is over with I'm off to fuck some Japanese whores. Maybe I'll see a few of the sights inbetween sessions of pounding some Japanese lass into oblivion.
>>
>>1910684
>inconvenient due to her husbands work
I don't know if I understand correctly. She wants to bring her husband along or she wants to have something to do when she's not with her husband? And like why would she ghost you because of your age?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.