[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/trv/ - Travel

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1536200113552.jpg (35 KB, 480x720)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
Women laugh at you edition

Anybody with experience teaching two languages? I am fluent in english and french and would like to know if that makes me more marketable for a higher pay?
Info about me: stem masters, also know a bit of spanish so looking to go to south america
>>
lol the mere fact that i have a job at my age impresses most people.
>>
File: 666.jpg (34 KB, 600x333)
34 KB
34 KB JPG
Women who laugh at men because of their occupation are just typical bottom of the barrel women. As long as you're bringing home a paycheck and actively trying to better yourself, you're doing well. Don't let any woman bring you down.
>>
>>1899534
Based. Which country?
>>
>>1899537
Agreed, I just thought the pic was funny
>>
>>1899538
Korea and I'm 22
>>
>>1899533
Usually it’s one language or the other, but some institutes that teach French would probably see you as more attractive, and it opens up more admin roles for you (which teachers will kill for once they approach teaching burnout).
>>
>>1899533
Asian women worship White men. This is why Chang's and Nog's seethe so much here. Hell, I'd even say Indian and Mexican men do quite well too.
>>
>>1899548
Isnt it super competitive over there?
>>1899589
Why would it open admin spots? That would be based
>>1899600
I heard that too but desu south america seems more attractive to me
>>
>>1899606
> snt it super competitive over there
For English teacher jobs? Lol no
For real jobs maybe
>>
>>1899606
>Why would it open admin spots? That would be based
You need to be strategic. Look for angles. Teach English in a French speaking country; teach French in an English speaking country; teach either somewhere that wants to recruit students/teachers from a country that you speak the language and they do not.

Parts of Africa, Europe, Asia are all contenders. Chinese schools are trying to teach African colonial languages (French, Portuguese) amongst others, but most of their admin and foreign language experience is in English. You could look for something like that. China pays well and you’d be a very attractive candidate, maybe even land in a university right away. Universities pay about as well as preschools in China (sometimes worse) but they have the best work/life balance and it looks great on your resume.
>>
Unless you are no skill faggot ESL is just your foot into the door
>>
>>1899606
if you're a white woman who isn't butt ugly (sorry 99% of kpop fans) you will get a job in korea instantly with no credentials.
>>1899618
isn't teaching a skill? a skill that lets you travel the world? i cant travel the world with electrical skill. or manufacturing. Stop parroting the "hurrrrr esl tacher bad hurrrr" shit you read to sound edgy.
>>1899600
Not so much anymore.
>>
>>1899624
>Not so much anymore.
kek, yes so much. Shill else where Chang
>>
>>1899617
>maybe even land in a university right away
That would be great but I have no previous teaching esperience. Your post was really helpful though. Are you teaching in China? If so, how welcoming is the culture to a foreigner?
>>
>>1899537
What if it's men who laugh at you?
>>
>>1899631
Kek I guess you ve fucked up then
>>
>>1899626
>Has no real world travel experience
100 beta bux has been deposited into your account
>>
>>1899533
You have a STEM master speak to languages and want to teach English? Why?
>>
>>1899537
This. There is nothing embarrassing about earning a living.
>>
Best way to strategically utilize being bilingual is to go to a country where they speak french, and want to learn English. Everyone values having a native speaker, but they also want to be able to talk to you in their language.

Arrive, make connections, and start giving private lessons. I did this in Brazil and was living in a nice area charging rich people 30 bucks an hour for private lessons.

Worst case scenario you start at a nice school, and then steal some students for private lessons. Market yourself well and promote yourself and it's pretty easy to fill up your schedule.

That being said, being bilingual and with your education, you could go to one of those countries and get real work. If you just want to fuck off and relax (which I get, I was the same), then by all means go for it.

Side note, I am a dual citizen and didn't have to worry about a work visa, which made doing only private lessons feasible. Honestly, if you're going somewhere to get a no shit job, I would just put your background to work and forget teaching English. Just go to some french speaking country and they would love to hire a qualified person who speaks English.
>>
>>1899533
They can laugh but you earn 3 or 4 times their salary doing an easy job so..
>>
>>1899533

With English and French you could probably make a tidy sum doing private lessons in a place like Taiwan. You could honestly market private French lessons for $50 an hour (English, not so much).

The trick, of course, is to find the market there. I used to teach in Taiwan and I noticed that the parents of my students were constantly looking for ways that their child could get a leg up. I taught private lessons to a little girl whose mom had her go to school from sun up to sun down then do cello lessons on the days she wasn't in soccer practice. You find the right market, you'll be set.
>>
>>1899533
>I am fluent in english and french

how do you feel about International Business?
>>
>>1899626
Where? In Korea?
>>
>>1899548
Are you pretty successful with the local ladies?
>>
>>1899741
>>1899743
the korean american incel is still here, after all these years
>>
>>1899533
Anybody tutor in foreign countries? I have a history degree from a top 10 university in the states, I figure I could utilize that prestige and tutor upper class kids in other nations. I'm going to law school but I like to keep my options open in case I decide to get out
>>
has anybody taught in indonesia? it seems cool but apparently, they can fuck you over with an exit visa that only your employer can give you?
>>
>>1899643
Wtf are you talking about? I'm from the US, lived in Columbia, China, Japan, Germany, and now Venezuela. Asian women everywhere on planet Earth worship White men. I see WMAF couples literally everywhere in extremely high numbers.
>>
>>1899755
oh yeah hes a real loser. he used to try to get people to dox themselves here after finding out they have a korean gf or wife or whatever and pepper them with incel questions. he'd larp as a white guy while doing so when it was obvious hes a fucking korean american incel, lol.
>>
>>1899537
True. But
>English teacher
>Occupation
That's something a 25 year old does. If you are older it slowly becomes clear you have little aspiration to earn more. Which is not attractive for women who are attracted to wealth, like we are attracted to beauty
>>
>finished online cert 3 months ago
>been applying for jobs in south korea for 2 months
>finally getting interviews etc
I swear, deciding to get into this before covid hit was the worst timing.
>>
>>1899600
>even indian...
lol in what reality are you living in? everyone does better than them.
>>
File: 1331910685152.png (314 KB, 500x500)
314 KB
314 KB PNG
>gotta pay $150 for a covid test in order to get a visa
>>
>>1900902
Dang. I paid 60 bucks in Brussels, kek
>>
>>1900902
$150 to get you to pretty much the last step to work abroad isn't shit.
>>
>>1899600
As a mexican american in vietnam I can confirm.

there is a hierarchy though,
white guys, light skinned Latinos, then tanned Latinos such as I, still get a lot more pussy than the natives though, Indians seem to be below the natives however.
>>
What countries can you do this shit without a degree?
>>
>>1900997
Almost none. If you can get to a country and then they hire you in country, you will still be working illegally and will pretty much be your bosses bitch.
>>
Can I parlay TEFLing into working for an NGO or something? I
>>
>>1900995
Based fellow spico. I've banged 4 Vietnamese chicks and 2 thai ones and can confirm your statement is pretty accurate.
Chinks see us as exotic even though we are still considered second tier to whitoids
>>
>>1901011
You can turn anything into anything. There are some government jobs that look for candidates who have lived abroad, because it’s not for everyone. I can only imagine NGOs are the same. There’s nothing wrong with doing TEFL for a couple of years or as a means to an end, or even a career if you like it, but don’t choose it as an alternative to what you really want to do.
>>
Is anyone else from here in JET? I just got my assignment the other day, and apparently I leave on January 6th, 2021.
>>
>>1899901
>Columbia
>>
>>1901053
Congratulations. Try to visit as many touristy attractions as you can during your days off, you’ll never see them as empty as they are now.
>>
>>1901053
JET only accepts the most weeb inbred retards who spurg about how great Japan is on the essay. Most people I met on JET were losers back home. 2 of the girls left Japan because they said Japan gave them PTSD. The guy are typical fedora fags.
>>
>>1901103
perfect for me then.
>>
>>1900995
what about blacks?
>>
>>1899600
which country do indians do well in lol
>>
>>1901105
When writing your essay, make sure to say some SJW stuff too. JET is a government program. So on the American side, it's all feminists and onions cucks. They will eat that shit up.
>>
>>1899537
No
>>
>>1899600
You’re about ten years behind the times, go parrot somewhere else
>>
>>1899600
What’s a foreigner gonna do in Asia besides teach English
>>
As an English teacher you’re never going to be able to afford a nice western style house in whatever third world country you’re planning on. Whether it’s China, Thailand or Columbia, you’re going to be scraping by on a 2-3k salary. In some places like China you need to spend as much as $30,000 just for a parking spot
>>
>>1901146
plenty of business jobs going
>>
>>1901151
You’ve never worked in TEFL because you are both overestimating how much you can make in places like Thailand and South America, and underestimating how much you can save in East Asia when your housing is paid by the school. I worked in Korea for a few years and saved enough to buy houses in the US and Canada. Not in shitty areas either - both are now worth much more than I paid for them.

I’m not saying you will get rich doing TEFL, and to save money you need to work in Korea, China or the Middle East, but you can make bank in this field. Faster than most cubicle drone jobs.
>>
>>1901146
if you're fluent in the language of the country you're staying in you can do a lot
>>
>>1901146
I worked for several Chinese startups and telco companies over the past 10 years.
>>
>>1901151
international schools and/or universities pay stupidly well and are fairly easy to get into, just requires some extra qualifications. Teaching can absolutely be a decently paying job but if you're stuck in shitty entry roles of course it seems bad.
>>
>>1900997
only Cambodia legally but you can work illegaly in some parts of Asia and South America or work for slave wages in Spain.
>>
>>1899631
if im not trying to fuck them, then wtf do i give a shit what theyre opinion of me is...

the only issue i would have with being an esl teacher is the shit pay, otherwise i dont see anything wrong with it anyone that does can go fuck themselves
>>
Anyone have experience with Interac? my interview with them is on wednesday.
>>
>>1901339
I'm a current Interac ALT, ask me anything I guess.
My workload is piss easy but some other ALTs I know are kept pretty busy
>>
>>1899533
there are plenty of private french schools in most countries, you could pull one thousand a month i imagine, giving classes in french and english. Check out the govt organization for international french schools.
>>
>>1901343
Would you mind watching one of the videos I'm going to send off to see if they're alright?

It would be nice to know if I should keep investing my time and energy.

Interview questions? it's over skype.
>>
>>1901339
>>1901343
>>1901390

One of the demos for waking primary kids up.
To be fair I'm working 43 hour weeks at the moment so I don't have infinite time to practice
>https://vimeo.com/477111416

Not sure if I can try to do better, I'm super exhausted and I still need to get my head together for Wednesday.
>>
I'm a native English speaker who is genuinely interested in languages and to an extent teaching English. I speak Spanish quite well and am learning a third language which I'll probably be fluent in by the time I finish university. Is teaching English really as bad as everyone makes it out to be, surely there is some sort of opportunity to move up or even just teach on the side whilst working a job in the country. I don't really care about balling out or anything (I'll probably have some minor investments in my home country that would net me a little safety net as well), I just want to live in different countries and further my language studies, am I being delusional? I'm willing to learn the language of any country that I go to as well.
>>
>>1901395
Maybe be a little more smiley (understanding that this is a lot more difficult in an empty room with a camera than with a real class), speak a little slower and dumber. (Instead "Ok, we're warmed up, let's start the class", do "Goooood Jooob!!!! Ok! Let's Start!") Primary school kids are dumber than you think and likely won't understand most of what you're saying.
(Actually, sprinkling in frequent, dumb praise throughout the whole thing would look good. "Greeeatt Joob!!" Thumbs up every 10 seconds, etc)

Maybe a little louder would come across as better too, but on the same note I get that it can be awkward yelling in an empty room.

You're better than half the people this company hires anyways, so I wouldn't worry too much anyways.

I don't even remember the interview questions, they were such a no-brainer, but by that point in my hiring session I had built a good rapport with the guy and it felt more like a conversation anyways.
>>
>>1901397
The reasons you give are all good. I've been doing TEFL for a long time, and I had much worse reasons for going into it, and I have no regrets. I've seen many other teachers come and go. Some have stayed long term but for most it's just an adventure or a means to an end. There's nothing wrong with trying it if you really want to. I would only advise caution if you are only doing TEFL because you can't do anything else (and would rather do something else), or if you're turning down a better opportunity to do it (because that good opportunity might not come along again). Spending a year or two abroad after university is probably the best time in life to do something like this because you can easily return home and transition into whatever other future you see for yourself.
>>
>>1901339
>>1901343
Fuck interac. Those retards tried telling me I couldn't get my own apartment, and even if I did, I couldn't live with my girlfriend. Also, heavily hinted at no visitors. I've already lived in Japan and had a job overrun my personal life. Not doing it a second time.
>>
>>1901395
Jesus christ this is depressing, to no fault of your own. There are other companies to work for that don't have you do this demo shit that only serves to make you look like a fool.

Anyways, the programs are literally just looking for a retard who speaks fluent English with no accent and is super kawaii genki ^^ since they will train you on the spot to make sure you're up to par. As an ALT you will be used as a human tape recorder and a prop in a comedy movie, it's why the industry will forever be a low barrier to entry with stupidly high turnover rate.
>>
>>1901436
I'm doing manual labour at home,

I think just a year or two of it on my resume would do a lot for me going forward, and if I quit halfway through the year a month or two to explore Japan would be great.
>>
>>1901437
It depends what you want your future career path to look like. If you're planning on staying in Japan then an ALT won't help much at all since you're not really doing all that much to begin with. If this IS your goal then your time should be spent self-studying japanese from now up until a year into ALT where you hopefully are able to make connections and apply to other places.
>>
>>1901440
I want to be fluent in Japanese, just get away from things in Aus and experience another country more than a two week holiday.

Then take things from there, anything to get me out of manual labour before I fuck my back for minimum wage
>>
What is a good teaching location/audience for someone who is highly qualified and has experience in Western Europe? Looking to teach uni or a good high school in Malaysia, SK or Japan or something like that, would that be possible and viable?
>>
>>1901475
>highly qualified
You can teach anywhere but you're most likely going to eat a shit sandwich of a bad job for a year until you make some connections or learn the ropes of the country you're in. But after you're done with the initial 1 year contract, you can pretty much land any job.
Uni in Japan or SK isn't gonna happen. Best bet for a good high school are private schools in Japan. Start networking and learning the language now.
>>
>>1901646
>Uni in Japan or SK isn't gonna happen.
How come? Also, how do I into networking in these instances?
>>
Does anyone have any experience with JET's SEA/Sport Exchange Advisor Position? What experience or qualification do you need for that?
>>
>>1901667
http://jetprogramme.org/en/countries/
There are 5,200 JET ALTs, and 13 JET SEAs
I recommend you don't bother, barely anyone wants a SEA
>>
>>1901665
Get creative with networking. Use twitter. Linkedin. You're an educated man.
You wont get uni because you need a phd and a fuck ton of credentials and abroad work experience and usually need to be published in some way.

I'm sure some retard with no experience teaching abroad will come say I'm wrong, but ignore them. /trv/ is flooded with trolls lately.
>>
>>1901682
Masters or phd. Sorry.
>>
>>1901440
He said he’s currently doing manual labor. Have you done both manual labor and worked as an ALT? I’m going to assume his manual labor isn’t well paid (or he might call it a trade or skilled labor), and of that’s correct then there is no comparing the two. You’re not warning away someone who has better options.
>>
>>1901475
If you have a teaching license in an Anglo (or at least Western) country, or if you have a masters, then it’s doable. A close friend has been teaching at a Japanese university for over a decade with a fine arts masters. And licensed teachers have always made bank at international schools.

The only wildcard is your definition of “highly qualified”. That’s very subjective. Gaba only takes “highly qualified” applicants, and you probably don’t want to work for them.
>>
>>1901695
See i told you someone was going to say i was wrong. Someone with no experience. Like clockwork.
Your friend started over 10 years ago. Things were completely different. He now also has experience and has a masters. I said he'd need a masters. Having only a teaching license WILL NOT get you into a uni.
Stop larping like you know everything about Japan. Your post was 100% irrelevant fodder to boost your own ego.
Ask him what highly qualified is. He said it in his original post.
>>
>>1901706
Are you talking about being a professor at a university?
Because I have some acquaintances (relatively unqualified) who work as assistants to English/Linguistics professors.
I still think those positions are rare.
>>
>>1901706
Sorry to have hurt your feelings, snowflake. He didn’t elaborate on his qualifications in his original post. I’m not pretending to know everything about Japan, but I do currently live here and work at a private school for a decent salary. My ego doesn’t color my advice.
>>
Not trying to hijack this thread, but what options would I have abroad as a CPA? Ideally Asia.
>>
>>1901428
What branch? My branch had a lady email me a bunch of apartment listings that she liked and told me that I could pick among them or search on my own and she'd try to help me with the lease.

There seems to be a wide disparity between Interac branches.

As far as I can tell the he "no visitors" thing is a common autistic Japanese thing where they don't want people cohabitating without you paying for a second lease. I'd presume you could just ignore that and quietly fuck your girlfriend each night, and people wouldn't really have a good reason to investigate
>>
>>1901767
It was during the initial interview. Whoever called me kept using a different name for Interac before I finally asked him who he really worked for and he said Interac.
The no visitors thing isn't common at all. My neighbors had visitors constantly and I lived in a very small apartment complex. I had my girlfriend spending every weekend with me, with no problem. They are just another shitty Japanese company who tries to control your life even off the clock.
>>
Anyone here teaching English long term?
This has been on my mind for a year now and I'm considering getting a celta cert once covid is over and trying teaching.
I don't have an Ed or English degree but I have a business degree from a pretty good school in the US. Would that and a celta be good enough to land a not shit job?
I make good money now in a job with decent career progression so I am slightly afraid I'd be making a terrible career choice but I'm at the point where I don't care about my job at all. Plus I actually enjoy language and linguistics and would be open to getting a masters or M.Ed in the future if I find teaching is something I want to do long-term.
I know esl gets a bad rep but is it really that bad if you get a job uni or international school? Obv probably not right away but after a few years.
>>
>>1901775
At best, it's an okay job, but you can't expect to be doing this for the rest of your life. What happens to the long term teachers is that they get sick of it and come back to the US in their mid 30's and try to become American teachers, with sometimes decent luck and sometimes no luck at all. Teaching is not a hard skill, especially teaching children.

Just recently, I was helping a friend store some possessions at their father's house before they went abroad for a duration of foreign work, and I had the opportunity to talk with her father about his career as a teacher. He taught high school and, later, middle school, and this guy was completely worn out. He was piss drunk within the first hour of getting home from work and had some very strong opinions about the misery of the job, yet he knew he was far too old to transition to a different career. He had great difficulty expressing himself as an adult; his vocabulary had markedly devolved to match the vocabulary of the 6th graders he spent more time with than his own family (until his wife left to reconnect with her high school sweetheart). The guy clearly had unresolved health issues as well, yet based upon the condition of his household, I could either conclude he was flat broke or he was mentally unwell. I saw existential pain in his eyes when he talked about his younger years, how he wished he studied what I am studying (computer science). This man was broken many years ago, now he just keeps going because suicide takes too much courage.

tl;dr don't devote your life to teaching children, it will wear anyone down and it's an occupation that is better suited towards a charitable and sociable woman than to a man concerned with career progression that also posts on an Uzbek peanut-salting emporium.
>>
>>1899533
LOL

I'm in a worse position.. I have money (from bitcoin), so I don't work, so I just say I work online but they start to suspect I'm a NEET (I was, still am really despite the money), so they end up leaving me with the impression I'm lazy etc etc, which I am, I just don't tell them I have money.
>>
>>1901695
>>1901706
>>1901712
>>1901715
Sorry for being unclear about my qualifications, I didn't want to come off as an arrogant faggot. I have an MA in English and an MA in education, which also serves as a teaching license. In addition, I will have several years of experience in a Western European high school, getting in about 800 teaching hours each year. I have also been published in a small journal once, but I might get in one more time.
>>
Any advice for a white guy 32 years old who wants to go teach english in Vietnam when covid ends? I’ve been studying how to teach on YouTube and I’m ready to apply to one of the online schools to start working prior to leaving for VN. Can I make it without a degree? I’ll just be working online through a Chinese company to kids
>>
>>1901777
>tl;dr don't devote your life to teaching children, it will wear anyone down and it's an occupation that is better suited towards a charitable and sociable woman
In some US states, teachers earn little money and get treated like shit. In other states and parts of UK/Canada, teachers earn great salaries, pensions, and can do things like take every 4th year off work without losing their job or seniority.

>than to a man concerned with career progression that also posts on an Uzbek peanut-salting emporium.
This is definitely true, being a teacher is not for the typical anon here.
>>
Quick question about interac

If I fail how long before I can apply again?
>>
>>1901777
>Uzbek peanut-salting emporium
Heh, good job kid
>>
>>1901780
I guess you re in your late 20s early 30s? Cause women in their early 20s dont givr two shits about what you do. Why dont you just toy with them and tell them you re a journallist who s working on an undercover story and you cant tell them more since it will blow up your cover? They ll be impressed and they ll leave you in piece
>>
>>1899537
>Women who laugh at men because of their occupation are just typical bottom of the barrel women
Lol, it's the opposite. Female doctors are obviously in a much better position to pick and choose than mcdonalds employees.
>>
I can teach for a few years and save money + my original savings at about £50,000, come back and buy hopefully 2 houses to buy to let, and live off the rental income while doing some casual job.

Thats my plan
>>
>>1901937
You probably could eventually given enough time but why would you bother? They're the biggest ALT dispatch company but far from the only one
>>
>>1901960
In what country can you save money from teaching? Unless you speak of 1st world of course
>>
>>1901907
They ask for you degree now. Every year China gets stricter on the English teaching game. I don't blame them. So many of the teachers act like unprofessional idiots that even the government noticed. Ruined it for the rest of us.
Source: I worked for one and tried getting my uneducated friend the job.
>>
>>1901991
Not him but I did almost exactly that, except I didn’t stay home afterwards. I saved money for the down payments while working in Korea. It’s also doable in China (or it was, I don’t follow salaries there anymore) and the Middle East.
>>
>>1901991
China, easily.
>>
>>1901991
any gulf arab country will pay you top dollar.
>>
>>1901908
Grim

I would think that with teaching English the hours and responsibilities would be less than that of a regular elementary school teacher.
All I wanna do is see the world and not be poor while doing it.
>>
>>1902035
Of course the hours, work, and responsibility are less than being a real teacher. A real teacher has an actual career and reputation to worry about. Teaching TEFL is just a gig, excuse to travel, opportunity to bang foreign chicks, and/or for the lulz
>>
Just had my interac interview.

He said I should know in two weeks.

He then said June-August I could be looking at starting.

He said my demo videos were 'stylish'
Went on to tell me the application is sent to the sub divisions of interac then they extend an offer of employment.

Said I'm doing well with my interview and it's all going great but the decision isn't his

What are the chances I won't be going?

I can't wait to break the chains of manual blue collar labour and move into white collar overwork :')
>>
>>1901692
His response implies he doesn't want to do manual labor anymore, so I told him what to expect if he wants to transition away from that line of work in Japan. Not exactly rocket science to follow along here dude.
>>
>>1902451
Bro. Stop overthinking it. Its Interac. They'd hire corpses if they'd get away with it.
You're fine.
>>
>>1899631
optimism btfo
>>
>>1902668
It's me

Thanks for the advice, I know it's a bottom tier role but I will use it as an opportunity to learn Japanese.

I don't even know if I will want to stay in Japan so it's mostly curiosity at this stage.

Maybe 1 year and done, all I know is min wage risking my back is worse than min wage being a tape recorder

They emailed my references last night! Excited

Even if I just buy a motorbike and travel the country for a month after my contract is over and fly home it'd be worth it
>>
>>1899537
Poor fag cope
>>
>>1902023
What are the best cities in China to teach in?
By that I mean, least polluted, friendlier people, access to foreign products etc.

I give 0 fucks about whores and mongering/clubbing. Just wanna work and save some money, but having access to high quality air/food/nature is important to me.
>>
>>1901907

Hi, former English teacher here.
I still work and live in Hanoi, but in a different field, so I can help out.

You definitely need a degree, but just having a TOEFL might be good enough for the less-qualified places.
Definitely check out the Hanoi or Saigon Massive Communities on Facebook because they're always looking for foreigners there.

If you come to Hanoi, you'll also probably want to live around Tay Ho as that's where every other expat lives in. Can't speak for Saigon as I've never been there.

Just be aware that the locals are waking up and starting to grow sick and tired of how shitty most white/black expats are.
>>
>>1902773
Cool! Did you apply to a specific spot or have they told you what some options are? Just be a little weary of super rurual areas, it's going to be incredibly tough for you there with no language and no friends to help get you settled in.
>>
>>1902970
>Just be aware that the locals are waking up and starting to grow sick and tired of how shitty most white/black expats are.
Hey I'm a local guy there. I know the Tay Ho district, usually see a lot of foreigners around that area.
Are you guys stuck here or willingly stay? And what do you mean locals there are getting sick of expats? I live near st joseph's catheral but I'm curious about the expat community around the west lake / xuan dieu street.
>>
>>1902970
can I get a job in Hanoi if I'm not a native speaker but have a legit Bachelor's Degree and a CELTA?

Also, how's life there right now?
>>
>>1902867
n1?
>>
>>1902970
>Just be aware that the locals are waking up and starting to grow sick and tired of how shitty most white/black expats are.

Meaning?
>>
>>1901991
Teflon teaching in China is how alot of young south africans are paying for their 20's.(buying houses,cars, qualifications ect)
>>
Is a TEFL cert worth it?
I'm a Dutch guy and I want to leave Europe.
>>
>>1902867
Shenzhen Shanghai
>>
>>1903902
You can get one for less than $20 and less than 10 hours of work.
>>1903909
Fuck off shenzhen is full
>>
>>1903909
Actually had an offer in both of those cities.
Shenzhen seems nice enough. How's the air there?
>>
>>1903978
Fuck off. Shenzhen doesn't need anymore loser back home expats
>>
>>1903902
Like >>1903926 said, buy one off Groupon. My “120 hour” certificate has worked everywhere. Don’t pay for in-class unless you’re doing a CELTA
>>
>>1903982
Just like the weebs who get angry at seeing white people on the Shinkansen.
>>
>>1903989
While living in Japan I had a plethora of white people give me the stink eye. They were usually burnt out hideous white dudes or some niggers/shit skin women. Envy is a strong emotion.
>>
>>1903982
lel.
Kill yourself.
>>
This sounds strange but is there a way to get certified online without being in an online class zoom style
I know it seems weird to be interested in teaching and not want to talk to people but I hate video calls and would rather talk to people in person
If I don't do it online is it possible to just go to a country and find a school while I'm there
>>
>>1904234
Maybe some more rigorous TEFL courses are now being held online and using zoom because of the pandemic, but the cheap courses you buy through Groupon have never used video. You complete a bunch of chapters at your own pace, maybe do a final assignment where you plan a lesson a class, then download your PDF certificate. That’s what I did and no one has ever questioned the validity of it (nobody except me, but experience quickly filled in the gaps).
>>
>>1904266
So you're telling me all you need to do to get a TEFL and start teaching in exotic countries is to study a few hours on your own pace, pass the exam and you're set?
Also is there anything like a TEFL but for french?
>>
>>1904300
>Also is there anything like a TEFL but for french?
To clarify, I meant the french equivalent of TEFL
>>
>>1904300
>to get a TEFL and start teaching in exotic countries
To get a shitty certificate worth nothing, yeah.
You'll also be a shitty """***(((teacher)))***""" and will probably end up hating it because you have no idea wtf you're doing.

I would suggest Celta but that can be kind of prohibitive depending on how much of a nigger you are.
>>
>>1904346
Bro this is not a high skill field, gatekeeping has no place here
>>
>>1904346
Cheers for the info but unironically I just want to become a teacher so I can see the world without making my parents pay for it
>>1904358
So a TEFL is enough for teaching in a third world shithole where I ll likely catch a venereal disease because I am an unabashed coomer? In all seriousness are there some benefits in having a CELTA over a TEFL certificate if I want to teach in South America?
>>
>>1904366
You probably don’t need either for South America. I’ve heard you often need a CELTA for Europe but I’ve never worked there. Many Asian schools don’t even know what a CELTA is, only that they need to see a paper saying TEFL because someone told them it’s a requirement. CELTA is superior because it has better standards and a teaching component, but few locations require it and everywhere cares more about actual experience, which you don’t need a CELTA to get. A CELTA can also cost as much as a graduate degree in some countries (civilized countries with subsidized education) but it’s worth much less.

Decide where you want to go and meet the minimum requirements. Anything else is overkill.
>>
>>1904425
>Decide where you want to go and meet the minimum requirements. Anything else is overkill.
Based
>>
>>1904425
>A CELTA can also cost as much as a graduate degree in some countries

Absolute retard.
You can get a CELTA in Vietnam for 1200 USD and depending where you do it you can get reimbursed half of it if you sign up for a one year work contract with the school (should be pretty easy to figure out which place I'm talking about given this info).

If you think your education is free you're some retarded subhuman german who thinks he is not paying it through taxes, or a retarded nordick who's fine with being taxed 50% of your whole income.

Also
>just be the niggerest you can be
I don't expect any different on 4chin but still..
>muh gatekeeping

Imagine not having 1k, kek.
>>
>>1903926
>Fuck off shenzhen is full
I'll be there soon, let's go for a drink.
>>
>>1904234
I didn't have to, they just straight cancelled them due to Covid (doesnt even make sense) and said just do the assignments and that's it done.
>>
>>1904346
>You'll also be a shitty """***(((teacher)))***""" and will probably end up hating it because you have no idea wtf you're doing.
Ehh, just go on youtube and teach yourself English grammar basics, then get a job teaching kids and you'll pick up the rest. The TEFL courses just give you the basic framework.
>>
>>1904433
You could have saved a lot of space if you just stated that you’re an ignorant American who knows nothing about the rest of the world.
>>
>>1904453
this
>>
>>1904433
>You can get a CELTA in Vietnam for 1200 USD and depending where you do it you can get reimbursed half of it if you sign up for a one year work contract with the school (should be pretty easy to figure out which place I'm talking about given this info).

If you need to fulfill a one year contract to save $600 then you have already failed. A groupon TEFL will let you work in Korea or China, where $600 is about half what you can save a month after expenses. You don’t need a CELTA to get started unless you are working in Europe, or trying to get a job somewhere that would still prefer candidates with graduate degrees or teaching licenses.
>>
>>1904464
I know some dumb cunt who did a fucking TESOL masters degree for a year to teach English abroad, and now he can't even leave because he got a cheating girlfriend (she fucked me) in the UK and he is being loyal to her.

Top kek.
>>
>>1904467
Some people make bad life decisions. Teaching English doesn’t need to be some crazy life ambition or specialized occupation. Get a degree, get a job somewhere, build up a couple of years experience, and that’s enough if someone really wants to make it a career. Graduate degrees matter for universities, teaching licenses matter for international schools, and everywhere else want to see experience and a bachelor degree, plus whatever papers are necessary for visa requirements.
>>
>>1904453
I'm not American you subhuman faggot.
>>
How would one go about optimising their CV for a TELF job?
>>
>>1901107
canada and UK. UK definitely.
>>
>>1901191
>I worked in Korea for a few years and saved enough to buy houses in the US and Canada. Not in shitty areas either - both are now worth much more than I paid for them.
Awesome man. This is my goal
>>
>>1901723
What language do you speak?
>>
>>1901954
It’s more complicated, men like a hot girl, so if a 10/10 girl, say a hooters waitress, wanted to date a man of means, he wouldn’t care what her job is. Women have fantasies and elaborate stories they spin about the life they envision. They want a man that is an accessory that completes this vision. They want to say they date a writer or architect because it is part of some ideal they have.
>>
>>1904564
This is why certain occupations are considered "sexy". There is nothing sexy about being a firefighter or an architect or a doctor, but these girls grew up reading stories that depicted men with these jobs as sexy, so they think that the job itself is what completes the sex factor. Female mating strategy, across all species, is fucking retarded and women have no business deciding which genes pass on because they have clearly demonstrated in the past 50 years how lopsided their priorities are and how antithetical they are to the formation and continuation of a civilized society. Hell, Atilla the Hun wasn't even going to invade Rome until some slut in the aristocracy sent love letters to him. Imagine directly influencing the destruction of the first superpower in history and holding back the progress of mankind for a thousand years all so you can get your pussy wet?
>>
>>1904564
>>1904626
Based. Especially true what you said about the fantasy aspect. Btw redpill me on the love letters sent to Attila the Hun
>>
>>1901191
>when your housing is paid by the school.
How do I into those jobs? Are all schools in the region like that or just some exclusive ones? What qualifications do you need for those jobs?
>>
>>1901847
Can you get a university job or a teaching gig at a good private/internation school with these qualifications?
>>
>>1904564
The thing is, we may laugh at people for being "just teachers" in the west (Which i think is wrong) but in Asia a teacher is a highly respected job and something many people aspire to be. There's a reason its called master in Chinese not teacher.
>>
>>1904766
>There's a reason its called master in Chinese not teacher.
HSKfag here. wtf are you saying? teacher is teacher in Chinese. Teacher is a respected job, foreign teacher isn't. Locals are waking up to the quality of foreign "teachers" that are working in China.
>>
>>1904807
You can't be a very good HSK fag then can you.
>>
>>1904841
师傅 is master and 老师 is teacher. when someone calls you 老师 they aren't thinking of the word "master" the same way no one is thinking "bear cat" when they say panda you dumb faggot.
>>
>>1904863
It's not about now, it's about the creation of the word, and it was created to mean master.
Just like panda was obviously created to mean bear+cat even if people don't realise they're saying it now.

Learn some basic language theory.. language is steeped in culture.
>>
>>1902692
>92

BTFO like Kevin Nash's asshole by black gang members in the hot summer of 1992. KWAB!
>>
>>1901191
you think there's higher 'saving' potential in korea than vietnam? vietnam cost of living is so goddamn low and you're earning like $20+/hr
>>
>>1902970
I'm honestly thinking about spoofing a degree, and getting my legit tefl.
Apparently it's not so uncommon for teachers to spoof the degree, most schools don't really look into it.. just want to see the image.
>>
File: a6d.gif (71 KB, 200x245)
71 KB
71 KB GIF
>>1904872
>learn some basic language theory
this is coming from the guy who said 老师 means master.
>>
>>1905329
It is
>>
>>1905325
I’ve worked in both, and honestly I much prefer Vietnam. There are a couple of reasons I banked more money in Korea:

- My teaching contract included housing. In Vietnam, I pay for my own. I don’t want to share a house (like most Vietnam teachers seem to) so I spent about $500/month on nice services apartments.

- Korean school contracts pay for yearly flights to and from my home country. I usually make yearly trips so that’s money saved.

- Vietnam schools do indeed pay a decent hourly wage ... but it’s every hour that you teach, which isn’t 40 hours per week. Not by a long shot. Korean schools pay flat salaries.

I’m not in Vietnam right now but I still have friends there, and it’s a great lifestyle. But I wouldn’t be able to save enough money for two mortgage down payments in 3 years like I did in Korea. Though once I hit that goal I got the fuck out of Korea.
>>
>>1899533
In Taiwan the locals and the other expats call English teachers LBH's (losers back home)
>>
>>1905501
Yea but how much of it is just salt that
1. They are getting local girls
2. They earn much more money than locals
>>
>>1905501
That's just cope
>>
>>1904555
Get a good picture. Be white. Be young. Be attractive. That's about it.
>>
>>1901777
I think your story is bullshit but you're a good writer Anon.
>>
>>1905511
>Be white
How do I do this? I like seasoning my food
>>
>>1905515
Are you Indian dark? or darker?
>>
>>1905501
95% of expats in Taiwan are English teachers and Filipino factory workers. Also, Chinese don’t English acronyms. Maybe someone you’re talking to is conversant in English and parroting a term to ingratiate himself to you, but guess what ... his disposition means he’s salty about all laowai, including you behind your back.
>>
>>1899769
Who tf needs a history tutor
>>
>>1905564
Not him but i have seen jobs going for history teachers in international schools.
>>
>>1905511
Like how young, my bald makes me look about 30. If i put glasses on i look quite mature and definitely like a teacher. A real teacher that is.

Otherwise white and attractive.
>>
>>1905575
It doesn’t matter how young or old you look because basically every application will ask for your birthdate or passport scan. The easiest entry level jobs prefer young teachers because they are fresh meat for the grinder. For all jobs, the most important thing is to look friendly and/or look good wearing a suit. Take a photo wearing a suit and smiling.
>>
>>1905574
So have I. And also English programming teacher jobs, postings seeking psychology majors, law school and MBA grads/dropouts, etc. But don’t expect someone who hasn’t yet actually worked in TEFL to acknowledge that.
>>
>>1905579
Well how is 28?
>>
>>1905582
Still young by measure, and most employers. You don’t start facing age discrimination until you’re in your 40s, and then mostly if you are suddenly applying for TEFL jobs after a different career, or a man applying to work at a preschool. Some gigs prefer younger and some prefer older. It all balances out, until you are much older than 40s, at which point Chinese schools really start to discriminate. At that point you should start to fake a long career as a teacher (since nobody in this industry checks more than your last job or two references). But yeah, 28 is fine for anything.
>>
>>1905588
Ah good, i was worried they'd only be accepting under 23.
>>
>>1905482
interesting, good insight ty.
generally speaking do viet employers pay cash or via bank deposit? Is tax is pulled from your pay pre-emptively?
>>
>>1900995
If i'm güero (light haired latino) will I get pussy like the whites do?
>>
>>1905736
honestly dude Vietnamese girls are quite conservative. You can be white as fuck it will still mean little. If you are going to vietnam to coom non-prostitutes then you should look elsewhere.
>>
>>1905564
its not "tutoring history" lmao, its general education. Any degree from a good university means you have a fundamental basis for all academic subjects,all subjects up to the college level. I majored in the humanities and I had to finish upper division calculus before I could even graduate. Having a degree from a prestigious university means people will hire you to tutor school children in subjects like reading, writing, and math regardless of your major.
>>
>>1905799
This. The only Vietnamese girls sleeping with white guys are whores.
>>
>>1905812
They want your citizenship, remember that.
>>
>>1903276

I happen to work over in My Dinh for an up and coming company. It's my choice to stay; that I can actually build a career outside of English-teaching is something I consider a blessing, plus I like this country more than the others I've been to.

And more the local zoomers think English teachers are all useless. Can't blame em.

Also, if you're free this weekend, you got Zalo or something? I need expat friends. Most of my buddies are Vietnamese or Japanese and I gotta say I'd like to see a non-Asian face for once.

>>1903441
Are you a nigger? No? Then great, you're hired.

And life is fine. No virus, everything is cheap, I love living here.

>>1905328
Give it a try, if you think it's worth it, but I can't say I wanna end up on the infamous blacklist if I got caught.
>>
>>1905833
Too bad though, I'm asian lmao.
Anyway, My Dinh is really far away from the center of the city. I bet you've stay here for really, really long time.
And aren't you foreigners usually stick around with each other all the time? I never seen the expats leaving the tay ho area at all. It's like they holed up themselves there or something.
>>
>>1905560
>Also, Chinese don’t English acronym
are you retarded? PPT, DIY, ABC, etc are all common acronyms that they use. You ever heard an American say "WC" for the bathroom? I haven't but in China I did. It is clear you dont know shit.
>>
>>1899533
If I have a IELTS certificate can I teach english?
>>
>>1905838

Oh, absolutely not, I despise most other westerners. They're all the same left-liberal trash I left America to get away from.

Again, I'm not an English teacher. I am very rarely in Tay Ho. Generally, if I play, I'm in Kim Ma and Ba Dinh because that's where all the Japanese go and I happen to speak the language fluently.

Anyway, I just need new friends. Sick of going to Kim Ma with my Japanese friends and just getting too drunk to move or talking about American politics with my Vietnamese buddies.
Being the token American, all I ever do is talk about America.
I'd like to do something else, you know?
>>
>>1905900
if you have a 4 year degree you can.
>>
>>1905913
like it can be anything? I'm finishing a engineering degree
>>
>>1905915
major doesn't matter
>>
>>1905915
you also have to be a native english speaker and (depending on the country) show a clean criminal record check but if your degree is in engineering you can get reaaaaaally good pay as an engineer. My friend in canada is getting paid 200k so I dont know why you would want to go to asia to teach.
>>
>>1905912
Yeah Kim Ma is japanese town. You work in My Dinh, right? Keangnam tower, I assume. There's a bunch of koreans over there, too.
If you expect me to be different than any other zoomer vietnamese, sadly I'm not. I'm just a average guy who kill time here for fun. Also I'm currently in the south now though, vacation. Storm here hit everything down badly, but now it's alright.
>>
>>1905929
Canada sucks
>>
>>1905899
Great examples. Those are so common around the world that they appear in dictionaries. Chinese don’t say LBH. Don’t defend to the death the factuality of some random thing you read on the Internet, it’s a sign of autism.
>>
>>1906012
AY PEE PEE
>>
>>1906029
HAO! HAO!!!!!!!!
>>
>>1902867
Yunnan was nice
>>
>>1899600
>>1900995
Okay, what if I'm a lightskinned Persian who could be mistaken for Latino? (and a manlet)
>>
>>1906099
How hairy is your back?
>>
>>1906116
Back strangely enough is mostly smooth, from the waist below is where I become gorillaman
>>
>>1906099
Damn son. You are no good.
If you aren’t light skinned, you ain’t got no chance here.
>>
>>1901103
>PTSD
please share
>>
>>1906165
Not that guy, but he said women.
Specially white women in Japan get butthurt because Japanese men don't give a shit about women, they treat women like shit, hit them, tell them to fuck off and that's pretty much normal.

White wahmen get butthurt since it's the first time the world doesn't revolve around them, and the local men are more interested in Jap women anyway, and expats want to date Jap girls too, so white women have no market in Japan, only for Jap men who have white fever but even those guys only want to pump and dump.

Women in general have a bad time in Japland.
>>
>>1906099
Honestly you'll get dumb girls. Even the pakistanis get dumb girls who somehow genuinely cant tell the difference between a pakistani and a brit.

I guess its like some dumb american bitch thinking some thai dude is japanese and he's just like uhh sure.
>>
File: 23.jpg (229 KB, 805x960)
229 KB
229 KB JPG
>>1906165
This is the person who made the comment. It usually boils down to the woman don't enjoy the same privilege they do in their home country (america, uk, canada, etc) and everyone isn't bending the knee for them. Women in Japan are seen generally as weak and it goes against the strong muh feminism the majority of the world pushes.
I'm about to see another girl break down when she does her JET stuff in Feb. She could barely handle studying abroad and when studying abroad, the school does absolutely everything. Would wipe their ass if they asked.
>>1906190
He is correct too
>>
>>1905912
>Oh, absolutely not, I despise most other westerners. They're all the same left-liberal trash I left America to get away from.

>fucking SJWs stop ruining my ethnostate paradise
>>
>>1906274
>nooooo it's not okay to want to be with your own people, you must turn your country into an unrecognizable muttland and you're le schizo if you don't like my opinion and globohomo trash
>>
>>1906349
>globehomo
Cool, another fucking buzzword from reddit. What does that even mean you stupid reddit meme loving fuck? I agree with not wanting every country to turn into an Americanized muttland but goddamn you retards come up with dumb fucking buzzwords every two weeks.
>>
>>1906349
The irony is that /pol/cels who move to Japan are the "mutts" of their new society.

Even when they try to be massive pagoda niggers who are unfailingly respectful, pass their N1 with flying colors, and "follow all the rules" because "I recognize Japan as an ethnostate and want to preserve the wa as an outsider", in the end, they get treated just the same as their boomer Dad who doesn't understand anything and whose Japanese vocabulary is limited to KUHKNEECHEEWA and AREEGOTTO and understands zip zilch zero about what is going on around them.
>>
>>1900856
Who wants to attract women because you have money? Ideally, you want to be so Chadly (handsome, charming, strong) that you could be a lowly street-sweeper and still cuck even the wealthiest CEOs and professionals like doctors and lawyers. Obviously this is an extreme example, but the principle is sound.

tl;dr if you're an English teacher and can't get laid, that's actually better than attracting gold-diggers seeking a betacuck provider who actually want to suck the life out of you.
>>
>>1901954
>Female doctors are obviously in a much better position to pick and choose than mcdonalds employees.
Meh, just depends. For me, personally... a woman’s career or salary doesn’t impress me at all. I literally could not care less.
>>
>>1906367
Globohomo has been used on 4chin since at the very least 2016 and you iu, tranny, have the gall to call ME a redi. Go back, tourist.
>>
>>1906698
I have no fucking idea where your nigger brain gets that your retarded globehomo buzzword has been used here since 2016 or whatever. Now that you mention 2016 though, are you an election tourist or just very obsessed with trannies? Cause it would do you real well to get fucked by one.
>>
>>1906712
>>1906712
>nooo you can't use language common to other boards it hurts my feefees
>also uses "tourists" right after me.
God you underage fags aren't eve trying anymore are you. Trying so hard to pretend to be le ebin oldfag.
Kys
>>
>>1906751
>common to other boards
Why the fuck should I care about other boards I don't go to, retard. You don't get told to install Gentoo here.
All I am asking you is to explain your dumb ass flavor of the month homoglobe meme and why you want so badly to live in a world inhabited by homos other than your own raging faggotry.
>>
>>1899533
I've heard Cambodia will take literally anyone for a position teaching English. Confirm/deny? What are some of the more accessible countries for teaching English?

I'm not going to have my associates for another year, and won't have my bachelor's until a 1.5/2 years after that.
>>
>>1906698
I've been here since 2008.

Kill yourself. Or kill me. Help
>>
>Work for shitty pay and contracts with no protection
>Burnout rate is huge because the job sucks
>Pay gets worse every year because it's being overtaken by cheap Philo labour
>On track to be sub 1000¥/hr in the next few years
>Such an unresectable job that most alts lie when asked what their job is.

Why the fuck would anyone even wanna do that.
>>
>>1907420
Bullshit, chinks and japs dont want some dirty flip teaching their kids english.
>>
>>1907420
You're fucking retarded.
Secondly
>stays at the same field for more than 1 year
>incapable of improving

You're a nigger, kill yourself.
>>
>>1907422
Clearly don't live here lol, it's quite literally a fact. Eikaiwas are over run with Phillip monkeys.

>>1907453
Retarded for pointing out how shit being an alt is? Cope more.

Anyone who thinks alt life is a career are deluded, it's a joke of a job that should be done for 2 years max on a working holiday.

Also surely you are well aware the vast majority of alts never leave alt life if they even stay in the country, and if they do it's usually recruiting. So please don't talk about self improvement, it barely exists in dancing monkey circles.
>>
>>1907420
>overtaken by cheap philo labor
true. and philos are the most rudest pieces of shit i've ever met. but also, the massive amount of inbred weebs wanting to go to japan is tanking the pay as well. they will work for peanuts to live out their anime fantasy.
>>1907422
>has literally no experience regarding japan, yet still has opinions like he's informed
japs dont care. as long as the person can speak ok english and the company can pay them the least money possible
>>1907453
>has never been to or worked in japan
you're not welcome here
>>
>>1907957
>>has never been to or worked in japan
>you're not welcome here
I have been, I am right now, and I work here.
Not as an English Teacher (anymore), as I now have a business of my own.
>>
>>1907957
oh also, kill yourself ken sama
>you're not welcome here

kek, the delusion holy shit.
I'm sure Yamashita San sees you as a honoroburu Nihonjin now. Faggot.
>>
>>1907964
>blindly throwing out le epic maymay buzzwords because he's so enraged
>kek
Thanks for confirming you're a low iq mongrel.
>>
>>1907965
>haha madlmfao xD
>also uses what he accuses other people of

yawn
how's your sharehouse room for 50k in Kitaku treating you?
>>
>>1907984
keep seething and projecting bud. living the life you only dream about :)
>>
>>1908012
>:)
>>
What's the obsession thay foreigners in Japan have with tearing each other down? I've never seen such a bitchy expat community as I did in Japan.
>>
>>1908043
think of the type of person who would willingly live and work in japan as a foreigner. You now have your answer
>>
>>1908043
Because there's a plethora of people who fetishize Japan and love to larp about living there. All because they jack off to anime. Add in that 90% of people moving to Japan do it because of anime or yellow fever.
>>
Accreditation inspections for me at the school next week, bros. Time for some comfy bribery and corruption while I pretend to only speak English and be le dumb foreigner. First time the school's "library" has had more than six books in it since 2015.
>>
>>1907957
>>has literally no experience regarding japan, yet still has opinions like he's informed
Lived there for 2 years but k

They don't want flips, deal with it flipo
>>
>>1908043
The expat community in every country I have been to do nothing but fucking bitch. Avoid them like the plague.
>>
Anyone here have experience teaching in a tier 1 city?
Would you recommend it?
>>
>>1908123
I was in Shanghai. Had a great time. If you are going to Beijing even better because there are hutongs and lots of historical shit. Air is much better than it used to be.
>>
>>1908130
Honestly didn't have Beijing on my radar due to the air pollution but I'm looking it up now and it does seem to have improved a lot in the past few years.
>>
>>1908138
You could live in a tier 888 with a tiny airport, then fly into gayjing for all your degenerate weekend activities, and make it back for a comfy 18-hour week in a shitty technical college, and still be left with the same amount of money at the end of the month.
>>
>>1908141
If you have the same amount of money at the end of the month why would you live in some rural shithole lmao
>>
>>1908149
Why would you live in Beijing instead of Nongzhou? Because you'd miss macdonalds and starbucks? Think of the opportunities you get being the only laowai in the village. The things you would see instead of just another capital city, same as all the others.
>>
>>1908043
it's not just Japan, it's any foreign country. Expats are often pedos or failures, or a combination of both.

In the case of Japan, it should be obvious. Lots of Kensama types.
>>
>>1908151
I thought this too until I actually did it. Dont do it anon. There is a reason you will be the only laowai in the village, because no other laowais wants to be there. It is boring as fuck. Go to BJ and stay in BJ.
>>
Did Chengdu and its peripheries for a couple years now I'm thinking Japan. Is the change that juxtaposed or will it feel easier to settle in, even uninteresting? There was something exciting about the corner-cutting culture in China that kept things interesting for me
>>
>>1908301
Japan is boring as fuck
Go to Taiwan instead
>>
>>1908287
I spent 3 years being the only laowai in various villages across the country - from the extremely regimented communism of inner mongolia, where half the city would stand out on the street in the morning and chant political slogans, to a hui minority reservation which was basically chink disneyworld, to a comfy jiangsu province village-turned-3-million population conurbation, with the brand new middle classes walking around in velour tracksuits and living in mansions, yet still throwing garbage onto their own front lawn. Gayjing is gayjing. Good for a holiday.
>>
>>1908247
Fucking this so much.

It's not just Japan. It's just that Japan probably has the largest expat community because of its deeper ties to the West than other countries.
You head to other countries, and it's all the same. Even in Europe, I've heard it's all the same; I have a buddy in Italy and he says all the Americans do is have barbeques with each other despite the fact that they could have anything else at any other time because they're in Europe.
Avoid other expats like the plague.
>>
>>1908043
Gate keeping. I live in Japan and I see it all the time.

It's common in Japan more than other country, but its pretty common in Asia, much less so than Europe.

There's a non-trivial amount of weebs who come here hoping to reinvent themselves and on some level its fairly easy to do. They view other expats as threats, they're usually pretty juvenile and they try to flex on other expats: job, money, language ability, owning a car, etc.

>>1908122
I lived in Germany as an American and it wasn't so bad.

>>1908247
This really depends on your level of employment. Among the English teaching expat community, you're correct. But skilled expats tend to fairly normal people.
>>
>>1904682
bump
>>
>>1908325
what makes japan boring in your opinion?
>>
>>1908473
>But skilled expats tend to fairly normal people.
I disagree on this point. They're making more money and are better on paper than Mike the ALT from Canada, but a lot of the quote unquote "normal" guys working as engineers or bankers are just fucking weird too. They've got this weird aggro "You dare enter MY domain?" energy.
>>
>>1908568
Not really, most of the high earning expats, the ones who get hired from overseas, aren’t in Japan long term, maybe 5-7 years at the most.
>>
>>1908569
Sure, but that doesn't preclude them from being status-obsessed money flexers. It's not really refuting my central point - nearly every expat in Japan is obsessed with knocking the others down, everyone from the Vietnamese wrecking site worker to the eikaiwa "teacher" to the DOD contractor.
>>
Does expat mean people who move to another country and just hang out with other foreigners/don't make an effort to integrate?
Because surely not everyone who immigrates falls into this category.
>>
>>1908578
Anyone who works abroad is an expatriate by default retard. But yes, when talking of the 'expat community' or 'expats' in the plural sense, people tend to mean the characters you just described.
>>
>>1908571
Most don’t care enough to flex. The guys who flex the hardest are almost always former English teachers who “made it” out of English teaching into a real profession.
>>
>>1908578
Expat is sometimes called a racist term, but I think that immigrant suggests that one has moved to a country to stay permanently, while "foreign worker" or "foreign expert" doesn't include wives of oil husbands, and EFL teachers and gap year teenagers. Expat communities are usually from Anglophone countries, and relatively wealthy, but I don't think the word precludes integration.
>>
>>1908578
Expat is short for Expatriate

It literally just means somebody who lives outside their native country.
>>
>>1908578
People from rich countries are expats
People from middle income countries (Brazil,Mexico,Poland) are immigrants
People from developing nations(Nigeria,Myanmar) are Migrants
all the same shit but this is typically how they are referred to in media and by people living in these cunts. Plus this is all relative to the destination country and it's dev and wealth levels.
>>
>>1908593
yes but that's not how it is used only people from wealthy cunts are called expats
>>
>>1908596
You'd be surprised that Indians are generally called expatriates in the UAE and Malaysia if they're rich enough.
>>
>>1908599
Not that surprised by that since they are wealthy
>>
>>1908602
The GDP per capita of India is like 2 thousand dollars. It's not the wealth of the country, but the wealth of the person.
>>
>>1908605
yes i was saying not surprised if wealthy people from poor nations are called expats
>>
>>1901954
Eh you'd be surprised. Traditional dudes would be intimidated by her career, and you'd see her waaaaaaay less than a partner working at McDonalds.
>>
>>1901103
And the only people more pathetic than them are the ones so salty they didn't get in that they sperg out about weeaboos on 4chan.
>>
>>1908043
Autism + wanting to be the only gaijin in the village.
>>
>>1908473
>owning a car

Made me fucking giggle met people like that. And honestly one of the best things about living Japan is that it's often very possible to not own a fucking car.
>>
>>1906387
Well said. The best sex, is when a woman is into you, not your money. I've had both and the feelings are completely different.
>>
>>1908990
>Implying jet is the only way to get into japan
>Being a salty bitch weeb who spergs when anything bad is said about muh anime or muh weebs
>>
>>1909265
Hahaha imagine not getting into JET. Embarrassing!
>>
i've seen very mixed things on the kinds of hours a person gets. whats it really like
>>
How viable is it to coast through JET without really trying and focus on outside hobbies and interests? I'm not talking about cowboy level, just general balance
>>
>>1909767
Extremely. Just interact as much as possible with your students and don't fuck any of them, and you're already better than like 50% of JETs.
>>
>>1909965
do people really fuck students? Maybe if theyre like 25 but i cant imagine fucking an 18 year old student. feels wrong
>>
>>1909975
you get a lot of larpers saying they will
>>
>>1909975
>Amerigolems think it's wrong to have sex with an 18y/o

Kek
>>
>>1910017
I'm not American?

I mostly think it is wrong because they are your student. I would fuck an 18 year old from a club but not from school, and in Asia especially 18 is basically 13, mentally.
>>
>>1909767
You literally just described 95% of all JETs.

>>1909975
No, most get fired or shuffled around before they seal the deal.
>>
>>1909767
JET is not about English teaching. It's a government program to show foreign university grads a good time so that they will want to do business in Japan in the future.
30 years of JET and the country is as bad as ever at English. Turns out that untrained 23 year Olds don't make good teachers.
>>
>>1909975
My predecessor fucked a 17 year old, they're now married. He wasn't teaching her at the time, but he did in the past (he taught ES and JHS, she was in HS obviously). Her mother was having an affair with another ALT, and later lied and said he had marijuana in his apartment to the police, and was stalking him, which blew up as you can imagine. The BoE didn't recontract him because of this drama, and the fact they couldn't keep him safe from her.

Generally as soon as the kids hit puberty you're gonna get girls and boys flirting with the exotic foreign ALT, and given how a lot of people on JET lack basic social skills, it'll go to their heads.
>>
>>1910127
Considering it's illegal to fuck girls under 20 in most jap prefectures, I'm gonna have to go ahead and call this a LARP.
>>
>>1910180
Some English teacher likely isn't going to know the utter clusterfuck that is age of consent laws in Japan. They'll probably assume it's 18 most of the time.
>>
>>1910248
The guy said the girls mom knew (and didnt like it) and police got involved. The guy would be in jail if he was fucking a 17 year old, not married to her.
>>
Is getting a CELTA worth it for Japan or China?
>>
>>1910373
Not really. If you have a degree and ANY 120h TEFL cert, and even the tiniest bit of experience, you're way ahead of the pack. CELTA is for lifers or uni teachers.
>>
>>1910373
No. The only worthwhile cert for East Asia is an MA in TESOL or Applied Linguistics.
>>
>>1910396
I did a 168 hour TEFL course with 20 hours classroom experience because why not.

How much of an advantage is this over 120 hour plebs?
>>
>>1910127
I'm safe, I'm bald with a beard and work out a lot, hardly an asian students dream.

MILFs on the other hand....
>>
>>1910496
Big advantage cause you have actual classroom experience... Which you need to highlight during the interview.>>1910496
>>
>>1910500
Ok good but it was actually moved to online but the TEFL company says it counts as it, so i dont really feel experienced in it.

Honestly how hard is teaching to kids in asia? I still feel like i dont get English grammar.
>>
>>1910505
Teaching in Asia, specifically Japan, is like 75% dancing English monkey and 25% actual teaching skills. You'll mostly find yourself playing stupid games, spoon-feeding the same grammar for a week or more straight, and dancing/singing.
>>
>>1910496
I have just finished my stem uni degree and am doing this too. I'm hoping that I can get maybe a shorter term contract solely to save money for travelling, but I wouldn't turn down a year in japan. I'm from South Africa so anything to escape this hell hole would be nice.
>>
>>1910180
>>1910248
>>1910261
I guess my lived experience contradicts the Japan experts on 4chan, who can't even read my post correctly. I guess nothing at all illegal ever happens in Japan, too.
>>
>>1910518
Right, that makes me happy and unhappy. I'm not like other people, I do actually want to educate people and help them and sincerely hope they can improve their English.
>>
>>1910574
If you actually want to teach, go somewhere else besides Japan.
>>
>>1910574
So then don't teach at that level? Teach adults or teenagers, even middle and upper elementary don't use songs.

I truly do not get you people who think an entire industry is totally uniform, only involving singing the abc to very young children.
>>
>>1910570
Because no one has ever lied on the internet. Gotcha.
>>
>>1910577
I'm thinking China actually.
>>1910591
No that isn't required when you can just do TEFL.
>>1910604
But I like kids, that's my thing, i want to teach seriously but i like interacting with kids or at least young teens.

I don't know the industry anon because i havent started yet, hence asking these dumb questions.
>>
>>1910641
Just be prepared for micky mouse jobs at first. You'll need time to make connections in the country itself and find the job you really want. If you're serious enough about it it will happen fairly quickly if not you'll have to be satisfied with wiping kindergarten kids' asses for the foreseeable future
>>
>>1910604
Why are you sperging? You've obviously never taught in Japan before. Pipe down and let the people with experience talk. You can watch and learn from the sidelines.
>>
>>1900995
Based Pablo
>>
>>1900995
>Indians seem to be below the natives however.
Good. The natural order.
>>
thoughts on heart school japan?
I imagine lowest of the low?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.