[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/trv/ - Travel

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Maximum file size allowed is 8192 KB.
  • Images greater than 10000x10000 pixels are not allowed.
  • There are 34 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

What is the most populated city founded in the 21st century?
>>
>>1817682
深圳
>>
>>1817696
1980 is in the 21st century?
>>
>>1817682
What exactly new cities have been founded in the 2000's outside of russia establishing shit in Crimea. If we count that as official then Sevastopol is it.

Assuming China steamrolls HK like they seem to be doing, that will be it
>>
>>1817704
>If we count that as official then Sevastopol is it.
The Russians built Sevastopol in the 1780s and rebuilt it from the ground up in the 1940s after liberating it from the fucking Nazis. They gave it to Ukraine a few years later, when Crimea was transferred to the UASSR in 1948. And along with not being new, it’s not especially big (fewer than half a million people).

>>1817682
I assume it’s gotta be some Chinese new city, but defining newness is hard because almost none of them were built in previously uninhabited territory—in every case I can think of there have been at least villages for some hundreds of years. Chongqing, for example (metro pop 30 million, city limits pop 12m?), has roughly quadrupled in population since 2000 (partially because of migration and partially because administrative redistricting incorporated a bunch of formerly distinct municipalities), and it certainly looks very new-built at street level, but the area has been inhabited since the 4th century BCE. Likewise, Shenzhen (pop ~13M?) has roughly doubled in size over the last two decades but has been populated for 1700 years.
>>
>>1817799
Crimea was part of the Ukraine till about 2012, then was annexed to become an russian city. Thus a new city.
>>
>>1817800
Sure, but it’s the same city it always was, more or less. It was a Russian city for 160something years, then a Ukrainian city for 60something years, then Russian again. But there wasn’t a massive movement of populations or especially striking rebuilding; most people living there today are the same people who were there before.
>>1817682
Did a little poking around, and the biggest newest city may be Xiongan, China, pop ~5M and officially incorporated only in 2017. But it wasn’t built from scratch, it was built by sticking together a group of smaller municipalities that already existed.
>>
Maybe king abdullah economic city?
Or some African city.

Most likely a Chinese city or South Korean city. Although most of them used to be tiny villages I guess.
>>
>>1817820
>King Abdullah Economic City
Nope wrong. The city is as dead as the dead king.
>>
>>1817928
Good
>>
Naypyidaw, Myanmar. Despite looking like a ghost town (because it's fucking massive) population is just shy of 925,000.
>>
>>1817804
>Sure, but it’s the same city it always was, more or less.
So it's correct because the OP said founded and not built... It was founded again in the 2010's as a new russian city
>>
>>1817704
Naypyidaw, Myanmar
Sejong City and Songdo City S. Korea
There's a couple that were established in the late 90s as well.
>>
>>1817682
台湾新北市
>>
>>1818104
Only correct answer
>>
>>1818104
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3etv-Tsh-j0
>>
>>1817682
>
Abuja
>>
>>1818104
Naypyidaw is mind boggling. How can a huge city be desolated and densely populated at once? People is everywhere, and so does wild animals and bushes. The only properly maintained facility there is the massive parliament building housing the military junta while common people literally living in decrepit public housing in a middle of a jungle. It's like a milder North Korea there
>>
>>1818201
Well its land area is six times that of New York City and it has less than 1/8th the population.
>>
>>1817682
Brasília
>>
>>1818106
>It was founded again in the 2010's as a new russian city
That’s simply not true. It wasn’t „refounded.“ Administrative control over it changed around 2012, and the structure of local government changed c.2014. But ask anyone in Sevastopol when the city was founded and they‘ll tell you 1783. It has been inhabited without interruption since then, even during WWII when the Nazis put in a puppet governor, overwhelmingly by ethnic Russians (like the rest of Crimea), and it’s not like a local population has ever been replaced en masse, neither by the Ukrainians who took control in 1952 nor by the Russians who resumed control ~60 years later.

It’s a weird political bone to pick.
>>
>>1818145
what the fuck is that piece of shit? five minutes in and the only thing you can see is some narcissistic bitch in front of the camera. what the fuck even the thumbnail consists only of her despite having a vlog partner lol. attention whore spamming
>>
>>1818415
Russia as it stands today never operated the city before, Anything pre soviet union was technically not the russia we have today. Thus it was founded as a new city of Russia
>>
>>1818607
But it's not 'new' you dense motherfucker
>>
>>1818869
Founded as a new city of the Russian Federation which is new. OP did not say built so technically it is the largest city "founded"
>>
>>1818878
Did they build everything from scratch? If not, then it's not new. Spraypainting an old car doesn't make it new you stupid dumb commie autist
>>
>>1817800
By this logic the largest new city would be Belgrade cuz hurr durr serbia is a new country.
>>
>>1818878
This is utter nonsense. But it’s irrelevant anyhow, because Sevastopol isn’t a big city—population ~395,000. Xiongan, China (incorporated 2017 in current incarnation but also not from scratch) has a population of more than five million.
>>
>>1817682
Depending on how you look at it you could say it's Juba, South Sudan
>>
Гaзьжe
>>
Wasn't Malaysia building a new capital or something?
>>
File: New_Cairo_SOM_2_1.jpg (703 KB, 846x520)
703 KB
703 KB JPG
New Cairo
Has about 300,000 at the moment and is set to grow into the millions in the coming decade
>>
>>1818878

How hard can it be to admit that you were wrong?
>>
bump
>>
>>1821636
Indonesia, not Malaysia.

>>1821664
Nope. I doubt a shitty autocratic government like that can grow a city. Look at what is happening to the whole country right now. Its a fucking mess
>>
>>1818278
I agree, it's like 51-52 years old
>>
>>1822897
>>1821664
>Nope. I doubt a shitty autocratic government like that can grow a city. Look at what is happening to the whole country right now. Its a fucking mess
I can definitely see what you mean.
>>
>>1817682
OPs photo is from the 1980s when Battery Park City was still barren landfill and someone did an art installation planting a couple of acres of wheat. It’s all high rises now. I used to work there and this was part of local lore
>>
bump
>>
for god sake the person who actually acts like she likes me is even fucking closer
>>
bump
>>
bump
>>
>>1818141
I think I am going to use that pic for shit posting on /n whenever they claim building more highway lanes makes traffic worse.
>>
>>1818878
Russia views itself as a continuation of the USSR and RSFSR.

They even voted on it this week.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.