[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/trv/ - Travel

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

i want to move to japan one day. think its possible? like to live there foever. im a 22 yo m millennial. how hard or easy would it be?
>>
>>1555856
Kill yourself, unironically.
>>
>>1555858
why?
>>
self bump. i want to move to japan one day
>>
>>1555856
If tkyosam can do it, you can do it.
Good luck anon, and God's speed.
>>
>>1555883
who is tkyosam?
>>
>>1555858
>>1555883
This is obviously a shitpost thread. Ignore and report
>>
Working full time in Japan for forever is one of my nightmares.
You realize the work culture there is so brutal. Full time is a hard 40 hours a week plus a one or two hour "break" in the middle of your day that keeps you at work so you're really there for 9 or 10 hours being a dancing monkey.
There are some nice part time jobs and some will sponsor you but you would need more money than that to support yourself. Maybe try working there for a year and see then go to China.
I'm going to Japan in 2 weeks and I'm very excited to not think and about not participating in the suffocating Japanese work culture.
>>
>>1555971
>and I'm very excited to not think and about not participating in the suffocating Japanese work culture.
*And I'm very excited to not think about and now participate in the suffocating Japanese work culture.
Just look at what only 2 years of working for them did to my brain.
>>
>>1555895
Is it?
Years ago when I first started coming to 4chan 90% of /trv/ threads were just "How can I lib in japan?"

I didn't pay much attention at the time because I was a broke kid and traveling was just a fantasy hobby for milfags stationed far away or people (not me) smart enough to go to college and study abroad.

I like OP because he reminds me of those days. Japan is a pretty cool place, I unfairly wrote it off as a weeb destination, and I shouldn't have. /trv/ has become more sex tourists related though, and now is heading in the "real traveler" direction with people wanting to live in Cambodia or Paraguay for months at a time and not just go to Oktoberfest in Germany or ride a Shinkansen/buy manga in Japan
>>
>>1555971
I'm 29 this year, and one thing I've learned is that most people lazy fucks with no work ethic at all. Maybe I'm a workaholic, but putting 40 hrs a week into doing something you love is absolute child's play. Idk why this is a negative for most people. What the fuck else do you plan to do with your fucking life? Also, try working in Mexico if you think Japan has a tough life. 12hrs a DAY is the norm there.

>China
>he wants to work with the Chinese
Godspeed m8, you don't know what you're getting into. You're gonna beg to come back to Japan. China is great or travel, but fuck ever living there. Forget rapid industrialization turning the country into a living death trap, the Chinks are absolute scum. Fuck doing business with them.
>>
>>1555982
Someone has to do it.
I'm your man.
>>
>>1555982
>This delusional wage slave.
You can not convince me that the work culture in Japan is not suffocating to the point that it's literally causing a threat to their society. The fuckers are so overworked I could not imagine actually starting a family in that kind of life style.
No it's not just 40 hours a week there and you fucking know it. If you're lucky it's just 40 hours a week where you get called out for blinking and have an unpaid break jammed into your day where you have to be at work for an extra hour or two. But delusional wage slaves probably don't see that at as problem since it's not actually "work" you just have to be within a few minutes of your work where you don't want to be for an hour or two unpaid. Real Japanese people typically do work 12 hours a day 3 hours is usually unpaid and then they have to go to all kinds of bullshit work events.
I doubt that western ESL teachers in mexico work like fucking mexican peasants, and you saying that makes me think you have no clue what you're talking about.
Same thing with China. In China you maybe work 30 hours a week tops and comparatively make twice as much as in Japan if you can put up with their bullshit.
>>
>>1555982
totally depends on the job. I'll gladly work 40 hours a week in a job where my work matters, im making a difference or creating something useful.

If im just a cog turning in a machine and nothing else, fuck that.

That's why id rather be a builder than accountant. At least at the end of the day i can say, wow we built that fucking house which people will live in for 100 years or so. Not, i filled in your yearly tax return..
>>
>>1555856
Yeah it's piss easy. Just have any college degree and move there to teach English.
You're like 20 years too late to the party though, teaching industry isn't as good as it used to be and it's being filled up with Filipinos.
It's a a dead end career with the only promotion prospects being turning into an office monkey.
Just do a year or two there, do lots of traveling, fuck lots of jap pussy, learn the language and gtfo
>>
>>1555982
t. someone who has never worked in Japan.
>>
>>1555856
Pretty much impossible. Maybe if you get a master's in international business. Don't be an English teacher. I taught English in Asia for 5 years, and everyone says don't work in Japan. I've seen numerous people get jobs there and quit a few months later because they're forced to work like 70 hours a week and don't make enough money to live on. Now I teach in the US and a good portion of my millennial students are as obsessed with Japan as you, and want to move there. In other words, the market is totally flooded with Westerners who want to live in Japan, so they Japanese can pay shit and give you awful conditions and still find people to work those jobs, which also means there is a ton of competition for this horrible jobs.
>>
You sound too retarded to live anywhere without parental supervision.

I made a lot of effort to move into Japan myself, and managed to do it. The idea of you doing the same personally offends me.
>>
>>1556248
Those people get what they deserve for taking shit jobs like "Eikaiwa teacher" or "Junior Programmer".
>>
>>1556101
Well said, 100% agree
>>
>>1556248
>>1556258
It's fine if you come here with some actual skills and experience in a field that is hiring, and know the language well enough. Most people just come and sit in an eikaiwa forever though.
>>
>>1556258
why is software programmer a shit job? I get paid way more than I deserve.
>>
>>1556542
would art be considered an actual skill? say if you draw weeb shit but have an actual art degree from a reputable school
are jobs as a gaijin artist in demand?
>>
>>1556564
Not my area to say with great accuracy, but they do exist. You have to ask yourself what you would bring that a random Japanese artist wouldn't though, I imagine it's very difficult without much experience, and most kinds or artists aren't exactly making big bucks.
>>
>>1556631
not too concerned about big bucks, i get a pension already
i just want to slave away over a tablet/desk in my 2DK apartment anonymously drawing weeb cartoons for nips until i die from overwork
>>
>>1556635
How's your Japanese? 2dk may well be ambitious on the salary you would be looking at. You would likely need a whv to begin with as well and try and get sponsorship as some sort of expert, or marry someone.
>>
>>1556642
weeb-level wapanese, can read some katakana and like 2 kanji
>hajimemashite, watashi wa dame-ningen otaku desu, baito o agetekudasai
with my pension i can already afford basic living expenses including ~2DK rent near tokyo, i just want to draw jap toons professionally even if it is shitty pay
>>
>>1556653
I can't imagine anyone wanting to sponsor your visa. Get your Japanese to a decent level and you may have some luck.
>>
>>1555971
>oh no japan is absolutely soul killing
>suggest to go to china instead
look, before you call me a weeb, why don't you off yourself first, wang chang? you're suggesting him not to eat camel shit but horse shit instead. holy fuck, what an improvement.
>>
>>1555982
pls tell business story
>>
>>1557200
>Japan is in a 30 year recession, has stagnant wages in addition to high competition from the endless streams of weeaboos wanting to live there and teach English
>English teaching and/or sexpat community suggests China, a country whose economy is going to the moon and has plenty of well-paying English teaching positions with decent benefits like very low work hours and paid accommodation, as an alternative
>Get asshurt

Stupid weeb bitch.
>>
>>1557200
>the weeb gaijin wageslave getting this butthurt
I just have to feel sorry for you. Do Japan for a year or two if you really want to "live" there for a bit, but you should actually kill yourself if you want to do that for decades.
>>
>>1555982
This post is 100% on the fucking money and I wouldn't wish working in China upon my worst enemy, and god speed to any anons who think it's a good idea

I have a friend who lived/worked in China for 3 years total and she says it was worth it, probably to cover up her wasted diligence but me and her senpai/friends know it fucking broke her. I once lightly poked fun at her about wasting her time there learning the language earning shit money etc., all in jest and banter, and in 2 mins she was shaking with tears and rage.

There are endless hellish stories of doing business with the Chinese and I implore any anon who reads this >>1555982 or this post to take it seriously

FUCK the Chinese
>>
>>1557442
Holy shit I didn't realise abbreviating 'family' corrected to senpai. I've been on this board years
>>
>>1557442
I'm guessing you're just a complete fucking retarded newfag because of this >>1557445
but I doubt you have even been to china let alone worked there. If your friend was actually making "shit" money which I doubt then she was a complete retard. Even ESL teachers manage to save at least a thousand bucks a month and usually a lot more.
>>
>>1557449
I've been here since 2016 since I started travelling around the east, I always thought the senpai posting was just ironic. I spent a while in Beijing, but I didn't work there. The girl I mentioned is someone I've known for years but I also know someone who lives like a king out there, but that's because of his business origins back in the west.

> Even ESL teachers manage to save at least a thousand bucks a month

How in the living fuck do you think a thousand bucks a month is acceptable money? Do you live in a third world country? Does mama and papa pay for your little holidays?
>>
>>1557441
Sometimes I wonder if people who say this, do this to scare people off. This has gotta be one of the comfiest countries in the world.

Living and working here is piss fucking easy. Miles better than other countries where I’ve done the ESL shit. Way less responsibility, for much higher pay, with your company having your back every step of the way in helping you get set up and living here.

Seriously, try teaching English in Spain if you think it’s rough in Japan, and watch what little you managed to save working your ass off, spending 4+ hours a day in public transport completely vanish in the months of July and August where the country just shuts down and you get no pay for two months. And you think the Japs are racist? The Spanish are some of the cliquiest most corrupt, most lazy motherfuckers on Earth.
>>
>>1557333
>living in China
Enjoy your premature lung cancer, and and getting deported cause you talked ill of the CCCP. Not to mention Chinks are rude as fuck.
>>
>>1557759
I knew there would be some faggot who would post "hurr saving 1000 bucks a month is nothing" as if it isn't pretty good for a lot of people.

>>1557765
>ESL companies like NOVA and AEON
>Having your back
LMAO
All these buthurt weebs in this thread freaking out because I said people are over worked in Japan which is an obvious fact that contributing to their entire economy fall apart and contributes to their low birthrate. All the young japanese I talked to in japan want to leave lol they are all overworked. It's gonna be the first advanced economy that has braindrain.
Cant wait to bull shit around Japan for a month coming up and laugh at the delusional ESL fags who actually work there.
>>
>>1557827
>>1557759
Also I realize there are ton of illiterate people on this board who never manage to actually read the posts they are replying to you must be a fucking little trustfund twit to think that SAVING 1000 dolars on top of having everything else paid for and having plenty of spending money is bad since most of the fuckers would be making 12 dollars an hour anyway.
Seriously the people on this board can be so fucking stupid. The average American doesn't even have 1000 dollars for emergencies let alone is saving 1000 dollars a month extra. It's not a fortune but better than a lot of people are doing an this is the reaction
>How in the living fuck do you think a thousand bucks a month is acceptable money? Do you live in a third world country? Does mama and papa pay for your little holidays?
But since most people on this board can't even read I doubt he realized I was saying saving money on top of them usually eating out and drinking all the time.
>>
>>1557827
>NOVA
Is this 2010?

Also, you sound absolutely buttblasted friendo. What’s wrong? Did your work visa get denied? Don’t worry, I’m sure you’ll be able to make into Japan somehow some day, no more sour grapes for you my friend.
>seriously suggesting China is a better country to LIVE in than based Japan.
This is by far the funniest part of all your posts. By all means, China is awesome for travel, but living there? A smart person LIVES in a 1st world country like Japan, and uses it as a gateway to the rest of Asia, only a moron who got rejected in Japan or Korea thinks it’s a good idea to live in China. It’s literally poor man’s Japan.
>>
>>1555856
>live there forever
Do you plan to collect the dragon balls, or drink an elixir from that mountain Chinese people like?
>>
>>1557844
>implying renewing your work visa is in any way hard
>>
>>1557832
You're right, I now realise the proper context of your post. Saving a thousand dollars as opposed to earning a thousand dollars are two different things and I took your post as 'earning'. Saving 1k when teaching is doable for sure.

>The average American doesn't even have 1000 dollars for emergencies let alone is saving 1000 dollars a month
Well that's a different can of worms altogether

Still doesn't change the fact that most people who talk about their experiences teaching in China don't even manage that, although I agree that it's an extremely cheap place to live, so it's doable depending on your lifestyle. Unless you're into cheap thrills/fucking chinks China is a shithole, the only enjoyable parts ARE the tourist packed areas because they're clean and have less Chinese.
>>
>>1557843
I said you can make twice as much money for almost half the work in China and Japan. I even suggested the dude do Japan and feel it out and had you weebs get buttblasted but I can't tell if you guys are buttblasted or simply illiterate. I had to respond in depth because that idiot was suggesting saving 1000$ a month was bad, which even the stupidest ESL teachers manage to do in China. I know people who have LOST money teaching in Japan because most the time they are breaking even.
And no if you were capable of reading you would see that I lived in Japan for 2 years then I realized I could make enough money doing a quarter of the work in America and travel there anytime I want. Seems like a better deal. I never said that China was "better" than Japan. But having taught in China and Japan you make twice as much money in China for doing an hour or two of actual work a day.
Continue slaving away as the Gaijin-slave. Maybe I'll wave at some of you guys who they make stand in the doorways of their schools smiling like fucking monkeys lol for chump change.
>He would work for NOVA AFTER 2010
Oh my god just when I think you faggots can't get any dumber.
>>
>>1557846
Well thank you for at least being reasonable.
You have to play China right to save up the massive dollars but it is possible. If you are white you can supplement your income by hundreds of dollars a month by getting onto that "white monkey" group on wechat where you just pretend to be a white professional and some chinese business person will pay you.
>>
>>1557850
Half the work of what? You already don’t work in Japan. ALT is literally the easiest nonjob in the world.

And sure, you COULD make double the money in China, but for that you gotta:
>put up with the Chinese who are fucking scum
>put up with Communism and the censorship that comes with it
>breathe polluted air the entire time you’re there
Etc... etc...

Meanwhile in Japan... it’s FUCKING JAPAN, everything is clean, comfy, convenient, organized, and the people are polite as fuck. If you’re smart, you’ll also be able to save some decent cash, it’s not Spain after all where the ESL wage is dogshit and exploitative as fuck, at least in Japan you’re making above the average salary for taking the puss 4 hours a day. Plus, it’s possible to move up the ladder or even branch out into other jobs in Japan once you got the work visa. In China, you blink the wrong way and you’re deported. Not to mention, China, from the government to the people will treat you like scum BECAUSE you’re a foreigner. The Chinese are openly racist about the fact that they don’t like westerners. In Japan, worst you might get are some dirty looks from some businessmen if you do something stupid, but outside of that, you can always expect to be treated with some basic level of RESPECT.

No amount of money is worth the hellhole that is living in China, especially with the bullshit that is teaching ESL in the first place. If you wanna make money, find a proper career, ESL is for people who wanna live in cool places, which China is not.

>he thinks I’m working for NOVA
And I’M the illiterate retard
>>
>>1557859
>he thinks I’m working for NOVA
>And I’M the illiterate retard
LOL then why were defending them retard? If they are such a terrible company you would never work for why would you bother to defend them in your previous post? But I'm starting to think that there are people on here that are actual recruiters for these places. "Move to Japan, you'll be overworked and underpaid but it's JAPAN!"
OK though I get it we each have personal tastes, I'm not gonna continue in some kind of flame war with you over personal taste. I was in Japan thinking the same exact thing, but to do that for decades is gonna get old is what I was trying to warn OP. Which is why I even said to TRY it, jeez that's why you guys are the butthurt ones. Pointing out any criticism of Japan results in people freaking out, but I guess that's what you get when you're on a board where people unironically post about moving to even the most remote countryside of Japan without even knowing the language. And not for a year or something, for the rest of their lives which is what OP was talking about. So I think pointing out how the work dynamic plays into things was perfectly fair.
Your thoughts on China also seem a little /pol/tier which I can understand given that it's half true, but generally you get treated well in China by ordinary people at least outside of Beijing from my experience. You're treated usually extremely well in the countryside. I didn't even think I was treated particularly unfair at work although I've heard horror stories.
Sounds like you have a kushy job in Japan(if you actually live there and aren't some weeb) so congrats.
>>
>>1557867
Oh yea and I mean by personal taste is actually saving considerable money with constant opportunities to make extra money while not constantly being barked around by a Japanese person. Is preferable to maybe saving a few hundred bucks a month for constant work and little vacations. If I'm looking at "forever" like OP said.
and inb4 getting bossed around by a Chinese person. Most of the time I was sitting on my ass studying Japanese.
>>
Why wouldn't you move to South Korea instead?
>>
What about working for international companies in Japan? Do they still have the insane work culture, or are they more relaxed?
>>
>>1558177
Its going to depend on the company, but for me it’s a firm no. I’m home by 5:00 every day, but I also work with mostly foreigners and speak English in my job.
>>
>>1558177
It depends on what you are technically qualified as.
If your company specifically relocates you out to live there long term, you can be subject to those insane hours, though not usually just depends how long you've worked overseas before moving there. It also greatly depends on who holds the main power, not going to name company names but let's say ACME HQ is in Dallas TX, but they do so much business with Japan that they have a small office out there. They need to relocate a Tech guy or some accountant out there and choose you, since you volunteered or someshit. If your reporting manager really doesn't change AKA you usually send shit back to and for HQ, then pretty much hands off. If you are relocated for the goal of working in Japan based on your skill say IT guy who works with the IT staff there, chances are you're a bust unless the thinking heads are abroad.

If you want to apply to job based in Japan and the company is mainly Japanese, only go as a contractor. The first bit will get you in but after that it's quickly main line jap job with all the shit you can think of.

Knew a guy who stopped going out for the "beers after work team fun", was let go/lead to quit not too long after for being a non team player or some shit.

>>1558154
At least in Japan you can have better air quality, at least use google, and not deal with shitty train rules. korea is fine to visit but outside Seoul, what the fuck even is there besides shopping malls filled with knockoff shit. Japan at least has good coastal stuff, mountains, and trains to take you somewhere slightly interesting.
>>
The reason you hear go as a contractor a lot is because if the contract agency sees more hours than agree'd they will be at the company for compensation and have the lawyers and shit to do so. If you do it as an employee, well you are now blacklisting yourself from jobs because those fuckers talk, and will not win in court.

>oh we only worked anon 8 hours a day ONLY 8!!!
>he was there from 8am to 8pm, however we give anon 30 minute lunch 2 breaks and 3 hour of rest time!
>We treasure anon we pay his ticket to and from work make sure he get good compensation!
>Kanji-kun even pay for after work drinks(no he didn't, or paid for the 190 yen one) because he know anon good worker!
etc etc
>>
>>1555856
You have two options: work VERY hard including overtime constantly for the rest of your life(you won't be promoted to anything significant) to afford a DECENT apartment
or work just hard including overtime every so often for the rest of your life doing a conbini job(you'll be able to be promoted to manager as long as it's a 7-11 or such, they try to hire gaijin only 90% of the time) to afford a shitty apartment, but your life will be much comfier since work is easy, stress free, but you'll still be working long hours to keep the job. Food is cheaper compared to how fulfilling it is in Tokyo compared to the West anyway. One conbini sandwich or sushi with tea or water > 2 big macs, large fries, and a coke.
>>
>>1557872
>>1557867
You wanna know what never gets old in Japan? The laundry list of women who wanna sleep with you/hang out. That, and being treated like a celebrity when you go to a bar or a club. Well, provided you’re not ugly that is.

I can see why someone would hate Japan if they were a pasty, nerdy, autsitic weeb with a bad face. It would be an absolute nightmare for sure, and would kill the fantasy of what you expected Japan to be like. But if you were even decently succcesful in your own country, you’ll kill it in Japan.
>>
>>1558340
While that is pretty nice and a Japanese girl is generally at least 10x a Chinese girl imagine what you're talking about but on crazy levels. China is like a thousand times more than that even now in a lot of areas you can go to a laundry list of clubs where you skip a line and drink for free for awhile just because you're white.
Idk if you're trying to project ugliness onto me cause you went on about it for a while, like I haven't said I actually like Japan just hate working there because it is a fucking scam if you're getting paid below 250,000 for more than a few years. Working their sucks, especially for Japanese people it's ruining their society, it's stupid weebs like the ones in this thread that are killing Japan.
>>
>>1558256
Conbini food is magical. I think I'd only move to Japan to study, if I already had money, or for an exceptional job, though.
>>
>>1558340
>>1558482
what about korea?
>>
>>1555971
>oh no Japan work life is so hard and suffocating!
>you have to work 40 whole hours a week! I can’t work two hours and have to live with my mommy who feeds me tendies
>you can only take one one hour lunch break like everywhere else world! So sad!

So no different than America? God you sound entitled and lazy
>>
>>1559836
Lol wageslave
>>
>>1559836
Sounds like you've never worked in Japan and have a really shitty job in the US as well.
>>
File: karaage-kun_-34.jpg (182 KB, 580x388)
182 KB
182 KB JPG
>>1559557
I could unironically live on Lawson's Karaage Red.
>>
>>1555856
It's doable IF you are intelligent, educated, driven, and have skills in multiple languages (preferably including Japanese).

The Jap government has a points-based immigration program that will let you get permanent residency automatically and very easily. Requirements are based on age, education, technical skills, language skills, and a few other things.

I miss qualifying by five points; if I learn Japanese to even a basic level, I can move there. If I don't learn it, then I have to be employed for three years at some high pay rate before qualifying.

They will even give you a "free" house -- it'll be one of those ugly concrete box places out in the middle of nowhere where nobody wants to live, but FREE HOUSE!!!

http://www.immi-moj.go.jp/newimmiact_3/en/
>>
File: image.jpg (2.3 MB, 4032x3024)
2.3 MB
2.3 MB JPG
>>1562270
I live in Japan, it’s literally not as hard as you’re making it out to be.

If you speak English, even if you’re nonNative, you can get a job here. The govt is ramping up on the ESL education for public schools due to the Olympics. They’ll take anyone. I legit just got back from a training camp, and we had people from Ghana, Jamaica, Malaysia, etc... It’s literally cause Japan’s English is among the worst in the world, they’ll literally take anyone, and then you can pretty much stay here for as long as you want.

Probably too late for the 2019 hiring, but apply anyway, you can always apply early for 2020.
>>
>>1559886
Sounds like YOU’VE never worked in Japan. It’s actually pretty damn easy.
>>
>>1562488
>>1562487
Where do you work? What kind of school? I use to live in an apartment similar to that. The wood and that door look exactly the same layout would be completely different from what I can judge. pretty comfy
>>
>>1562488
Not everyone works as a dancing monkey for kindergarteners all day. Some of us work jobs that require actual skill and have economic value.
>>
>>1558177
>I want a lazy/comfy job in japan
Become a public school English teacher (JET, Interac or direct hire from a BoE if you have a good resume). Can live pretty much anywhere you want in the country and can just transfer to whatever other country town or remote area you want (good for /out/ people)
Become a bartender (need a Japanese wife or a PR). Pays like shit but you get drunk for free every night and talk to randoms. Bartending will limit you to cities that get decent tourism or ski fields, meaning it'll be seasonal work.

>I want to work in a normal company or international company
Varies between shit pay to good pay depending on the industry and your qualifications.
You'll have to work in a Japanese-style work environment (like 10 days off a year, overtime etc)
You'll generally have to live in Tokyo or maybe Osaka, meaning you're paying half your wage into a tiny shoebox apartment and you're stuck in the fucking city.

>I want to make more money in Japan
Get a Master's degree, bust your ass in Japanese community colleges building your resume for 5 years, work your way up into the University circuit.
Sick pay, good conditions and decent time off. Competitive and takes years to work towards though.
>>
>>1558340
>You wanna know what never gets old in Japan? The laundry list of women who wanna sleep with you/hang out. That, and being treated like a celebrity when you go to a bar or a club. Well, provided you’re not ugly that is.
Just depends really. If you're in a small city or place where foreigners are few and far between then yea it's definitely still a thing. In big cities like Tokyo, Osaka or places with lots of foreign tourists/travelers like Kyoto, Kobe, Niseko, Hakuba then you're not really that rare or special. There will still be milkers out there (milker = a girl who only wants to milk you for your English/VISA) though and overall foreigners generally have it easier than Japanese dudes.
Where you can really score is if you get into decently-sized cities in mostly remote parts of Japan, like in kyuushuu or shikoku. In small towns you'll likely be the only gaijin making it easy if you're only there for a while, but after a few years it's pretty easy to fuck half of the town and build a bad reputation. That's just a small town thing, everyone knows everyone.

>>1562487
>they'll take anyone
this. my company is 60% Filipinos now because they can't find anyone from better countries.
>>
>>1562487

What kind of qualifications and education must one have to even apply for a job?
>>
>>1562702
University degree (3 year degree is good enough - doesn’t matter the field) or 10 years experience. And that’s literally only cause of the Visa. Out of the East Asian countries, Japan’s probably the easiest to get into for permanent living.
>>
>>1557867
Treated well in China? Fuck off Chang. Been to China for a long travel, people were shit. Spitting next to me, cutting lines, shouting like apes, that's just some of the things you will come across
>>
>>1562772
Omg I'm so sorry someone spit near you. Poor guy. LOL Chinese probably just saw you were a giant pussy and cut you. Forgot to mention that you need to not be a giant vagina to handle China.
>>
>>1558177
I work at an international company in Japan. In my case, my previous company was bought out by a Fortune 500 and I found this job in one of our postings. I can only speak for myself, but being a skilled international worker can be objectively the most patrician way to come to Japan. I work from 8-4 everyday and put in around 50 hours of OT all last year, in a field that often requires OT. FWIW, my boss is American, and my office is around 60/40 Japanese/Non-Japanese, with management being mostly foreigners. My salary is comparable to what I was making in the US and the only downside it I’ll probably have to go back at some point since there’s no room for advancement here.

>You'll generally have to live in Tokyo or maybe Osaka, meaning you're paying half your wage into a tiny shoebox apartment and you're stuck in the fucking city.
I don’t think this is true, only because most skilled workers I know get some kind of housing reimbursement from their companies which is somewhat common in Japan.
>>
Does anyone here have experience in the 3d animation / video game business in Japan?

I've heard anime artists are overworked and underpaid, but maybe things are different for people that specialize in 3d software for cgi or games?
I finished my bachelors and have 6 months of work experience so far. Wondering if it's worth my time applying somewhere outside the US and Europe once my current internship ends.
>>
>>1562906
You’re looking at $1800 a month with 20-40 hours of mandatory overtime a week.

In the game industry, overtime is completely unpaid. They’re paid less per hour than convenience store workers.
>>
>>1562906
Do those jobs pay well in the US or Europe? I know people who worked in the gaming industry as devs and it tends to be universally pretty shitty.
>>
>>1562946
This is NOT true at all, holy shit. Quit making shit up, one quick look at Glassdoor and other job classifieds for Japan will show how full of shit you are.

>>1562906
If you’re not fluent in Japanese, you will never get hired. It’s a very competitive industry, and people here have little to no English speaking ability.

>>1562862
Or, you know. He could just move to a county that has basic common decency and respect for personal space. China is a great country to travel, or even be the ESL guy for a year, but fuck ever setting up permanent residence there. China is shit cause its people are shit.
>>
>>1562947
Starting wage for concept art is around 50k a year + benefits. Average salary is like 72,000 USD.

In Japan it’s a little lower, but still reasonable. You’re looking at around 48k USD starting out, with the average being 68k USD. + benefits ofc.

That dude who said 1800 is so full of shit it’s not even funny. You can BARELY survive in Tokyo or Osaka with that much. Fucking ALTS make more than you.

Also, this should note this is for concept art/illustration. Most jobs will require you know how to work 3D software as well. And your portfolio has to be super tight, as it’s very competitive.
>>
>>1562862
I handled chink pussy quite well chang. your gook girls are crazy for white cock

now let me watch some nanjing massacre photos, so i laugh at chinks getting crush
>>
>>1562961
Glassdoor is absolute bullshit. Post something bad and the company will link it back to you and have you blacklisted.

The game industry sucks in America and Europe. It’s worse in Japan.

Look up job postings on indeed or any other site. You’ll see wages starting at 200000¥ and 100 hours of みなし残業. And those are the good jobs.
>>
worked there for 3 years, only white in the office.
>they speak in english
>accept you don't care about their non-written rules
>hate you behind your back, but it's ok

quite fun tho, met nice people. be prepared to be the attraction of the place. it all depends on the work you do, i'm quite skilled in my field so my manager was an exec. it helped a lot.
>>
>>1563022
Depends.

I’m on the art side of things and it pays well. Feel sorry for the code monkeys I guess though.
>>
>>1563032
>code monkeys
>video game industry
guess again
>>
I've never considered living in Japan but all these "it's really easy to move over there as a teacher right now" posts have me interested. What's the best way to move over there? I heard that the government can sponsor some people (I believe that's JET?), but others go over through a private teaching company. Any recommendations?
>>
>>1562946
>>1562961
Then I'll take these as a No, it's not worth applying to Japanese cgi / vidya companies. I'm not interested in slaving away by working unpaid overtime.
>>
>>1555856
I worked in japan for 2 years as a foreign worker. The "ULTRA HARD WORKERS" is a meme. at least in the trades. I was also insanely expensive for them to employ so the overtime was almost non existent. They wanted to salary me as quickly as possible. I found a cheap place to rent in a less than favorable area that was close to my work.As for language barriers, its easy to find people that speak English in the typical tourist areas, but workers that have nothing to do with tourists or have a mediocre education dont speak a lick of English.
>>
>>1563079
Depends on how you want to live.

JET is the best as it's salary, you get benefits, and a strong "support system." However it's the toughest to get in to and the process is quite lengthy.

Eikaiwa is easier, but they treat you worse and pay is no where near as good as JET. You do get to essentially pick your place of residence whereas JET places you wherever, usually in the boonies.
>>
>>1555856
>this shit thread is still up
>>
I just came back from living in Japan for five years. I'd like to give my two cents if I may...

Many westerns don't realize just how different Japan really is compared to the rest of the world. Literally NOTHING is the same. To say that I was culture shocked would be a booming understatement. I spent the first year just trying to adjust to the speed at which everything moves, not to mention the manners and culture of the place.

Many westerns who have never been to Japan have some idea that it's a wonderland of fun and games and that it's an anime paradise. In some cases that's true but again, it's not the place that some people formulate in their heads.

Think it's crowded where you live? Listen buddy, you don't know what a crowd is. I've been on trains that are so packed that I couldn't move my arm to scratch my nose. True story. You don't know what fucking crowded is.

You may be thinking to yourself "It's no big deal, I've been in crowded places before" but you have no idea. It gets REALLY old after a while and gets to the point where all you want is to be left alone. Walking to the corner 7-11 to get a pack of cigarettes and a beer can become a nightmare of constantly dodging people and being backed into corners on your way there. It gets old.

Do you like Japanese food? It's not like what you've had at your local hibachi restaurant and it's about 5x more expensive. Also, expect to eat parts of the animal that you didn't even think they served to people. Expect a lot of chewy cartilage and parts of the intestine.

Do you like sushi? Good....expect to pay about $100 for a sushi lunch (at least).

Do you like ramen? Good...it's the cheapest thing you're probably going to find. Luckily for you, it's delicious. You may be thinking to yourself "I like ramen, I'll eat it all the time" but after a few weeks you'll be climbing the walls for something different.

To be continued...
>>
>>1563177
*Continued*

Now before I start sounding TOO negative let me say this. Japan is a wonderful place and I valued my time there and looking back on it I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world...but I've just seen too many westerners with this idea of Japan and how they THINK it's going to be...

Believe me, it's nothing like you think. Just getting around on a day-to-day basis is hard and expensive.

My apartment was about 500 square feet and I paid $2600 USD per month for it. The train system is absolutely phenomenal but I spent about $500 USD per month to use it and taxis are about $10 USD per mile if you're lucky...

Just getting from my apartment to my workplace (and back home) cost me about $40 dollars per day in total. I'm sure that people have heard that Japan is expensive, but they have no idea until they get there how TRULY expensive it is to go about their daily lives..

Have you thought about meeting a Japanese girl and settling down? Good luck...it's difficult to get Japanese girls to even talk to a westerner. The idea that Japanese girls are just going to fall into your lap is false.

In summary, I don't mean to be so negative but I've just seen too many westerners come to Japan with this idea that it's a magical wonderland only for them to leave after staying less than a year for whatever reason (expenses, homesick, culture shock, etc).

If you don't speak Japanese, you'd better learn some, the VAST majority of Japanese don't speak English.

Japan is great however. Low crime, good food, friendly people, but it's a place that for some is better experienced as a tourist and not as an expat. I lived there for five years and I'd estimate that my first two years was spent just getting used to the place.

When it was time for me to come home...I was happy to have had the experience but I was MORE than ready to come back home. I hope this helps. I didn't intend to be so negative but I wanted to give some hard truth.
>>
>>1563163
You can do ALT in public schools outside of JET. That’s what I’m doing. Comfiest job in the world. Fuck Eikawa though.

>>1563177
Idk how people come to these experiences. I fully adapted to shit in a matter of weeks. It’s not that hard. Different, sure. But if you’re smart, you’ll find other foreigners who are experiencing the same shit as you, and make friends quickly. Then you’ll fire up Tinder, JapanCupid, Hello Talk, Meetup, and the million other dating apps in Japan, and start meeting Japanese girls who will eagerly ease you into the culture.

I legit think the people making posts like these are either artistically antisocial, or incredibly ugly. Like, how the fuck do you NOT manage to meet up with Japanese girls to show you around and introduce you to social circles. You should be at the top of the food chain here.

As for the crowds. It’s literally no different from London, Madrid, Paris, or NYC. It’s also your own fucking fault for choosing to live and work in the big city when tons of cozy commuter cities surround the big places like Nagoya, Tokyo, and Osaka.

>it's about 5x more expensive.

This is such bullshit, holy shit dude. Have you even BEEN to Japan?? Bit's about 5x more expensive. Because right now I don’t believe you. I can literally, LITERALLY go to Sukiya right now, and get a full meal for under 400¥. And shops like those are EVERYWHERE in Japan. Eating out is cheap as fuck, and the food is delicious. Supermarkets have tons of bentos for like 500¥ that go on discount up to 80% after 9pm, etc... ar you and idiot? How could you find it expensive to eat in Japan with so many cheap options.

>apartment
I’m literally paying 400USD a month for my 25 meter squared place right now.

>Good luck...it's difficult to get Japanese girls to even talk to a westerner. The idea that Japanese girls are just going to fall into your lap is false.

It’s not. It’s super fucking easy. You must be ugly as fuck m8.
>>
>>1563179
How do you spend $500 USD on transport?

Where you traveling 50kms very day or something? Most work places also cover your commuter cost of it goes over 100$ a month. The most you’ll pay is like around 10000¥ a month. Expensive, sure, but not as absurd as you’re making it out. And it balances out considering housing is relatively cheap, the country is very bike friendly, and food is cheap as fuck.

>If you don't speak Japanese, you'd better learn some, the VAST majority of Japanese don't speak English.

This is the only true statement in your whole post. But why the fuck would you decide to move to a foreign country and NOT learn the language? If you wanna mingle with the locals, you need to learn the language, yeah. Plenty of Japanese girls are more than happy to language exchange with you if you’re good looking though.

>In summary, I don't mean to be so negative but I've just seen too many westerners come to Japan with this idea that it's a magical wonderland only for them to leave after staying less than a year for whatever reason (expenses, homesick, culture shock, etc).

Half your post is blatant fucking lies though m8, and I’m literally willing to post evidence too, as I’m currently living here.

By all means, yeah, idiots, shitters, and SJWs should stay away from Japan, it’s too good, and we don’t want retards shitting up the places. But at this point I’m convinced you’ve never even been to the county considering how blatantly wrong you are on pretty much all counts.
>>
>>1563189
>You should be at the top of the food chain here.
i've never been to japan so i don't know how seriously to take these claims and they never come with photos of what these supposedly top of the chain girls they're meeting look like.
>>
>>1563177
>>1563179
You're full of shit, You never lived in Japan. Food 5x more expensive? compared to where? Thailand ? Sushi lunch 100$ ? You can get full in a kaiten sushi for like 12$ or get half price sushi after 8 o' clock at the supermarket for 5$. Meat and veggies are way cheaper than let's say Canada. I can eat and drink my wife and I in a izakaya for under 50$. Where in Europe or America can you have the same value? The trains are expensive but 40$ round trip would be something like going from Yokohama to Narita, a 3 hours trip. Considering the fact that you can get anywhere without a car I think it's a good value. I pay over 500$(gas,loan,insurance) per month to go to work with an econobox in my country. 2600 USD for 500 square feet? Where do you live ? Roppongi hills? A rabbit hole is around 700-800 yen per month in a regular area around Tokyo. Unless you are an autistic neckbeard you can find a girl easily, like in any country around the world,
>>
>>1563195
Then don’t come.

Looks matter in Japan. You gotta be at least an 8/10 to get those sorts of results, meaning, you needed to have had some sort of success in your home county to begin with. If you’re some ugly autistic weirdo then don’t expect 10/10 Japanese lookers to come running for you cause you’re white. When Japanese girls say they like white guys, they mean Chads, with muscles. If you are that though, yeah, expect to get flooded with tons of girls begging for your attention, you literally launch yourself to the top 1% of the Japanese populous.

That said, ugly dudes can still get laid here, it’s just gonna be with rather ugly Japanese girls. A lot of dudes do come here, do just that, and start a family. One of the HR guys at my company was a literal mouth breather, and he was married and had 6 happen kids. So if you’re willing to settle, there’s hope. But yeah, gotta be a chad to get the cute Japanese girls to acknowledge you.
>>
>>1563200
you don't need to spend so much effort into writing an essay to convince me. just a few photos will do.
>>
>>1563202
Maybe I don’t wanna convince you. The less autistic weebs we got running around, the better.
>>
>>1563198
poorfag
>>
>>1563177
>>1563179
this is 90% horseshit. In my 6 years in Japan I had to go out of my way specifically to eat "chewy cartilage and parts of the intestine". Doesn't Tokyo have the highest concentration of restaurants in the world? You can literally eat whatever the fuck you want there.
>$100 sushi lunch
I've splurged on that like 4 times in my life and I ate a LOT of sushi. You can easily go to one of those kaiten sushi places (ChoushiMaruKyu is a great quality franchise for conveyor belt sushi) and absolutely stuff your face for $20-30 without skimping on the fancier cuts, and $10 is enough for a quick basic lunch. Then there's Matsuya, Yoshinoya, Ootoya, Tenya, fuck dude cmon you know all these places. Even if you're seriously low on cash you can eat a bowl of soba in a train station for like $3-4.

Also, how the literal fuck were you spending 55,000 yen/month on trains? Were you riding a shinkansen to work or something? 2,200 yen one way to work - the only way you could be paying this much is if there are taxis involved, or some weird high-speed train connection bullshit, in which case you're a moron for choosing to live so far from your work.

I don't understand this "spending two years to get used to the place" either. What's there to get used to? The ATM gives you money, you go and buy whatever you need with that money, you learn the train routes and apps you need to use..... like what the fuck else is there? Garbage recycling? Am I missing something?

>walking to 7/11 means constantly dodging people and being backed into corners
..wait a moment. I get it now- you must be ridiculously fat. That's it. That's the only way you're spending so much money on food, bumping into everyone and not having chicks talk to you. if you're large then Japan's not the place for you
>overpriced housing
correct
>crowded
correct
>difficult to get Japanese girls to talk
correct, in my experience. unless you go to one of those international parties
>no one speaks English
correct
>>
>>1563278
>You can literally eat whatever the fuck you want there.
I'm expecting to visit Tokyo for non-weeb reasons in 2020, and I fucking hate most Japanese food (except ones that are basically just meat and rice). So I can just get western food there?
>>
>>1563189
>>1563163
I've looked into it a bit more and eikawas seem to be those private companies, whereas JET/ALTs teach in normal schools. Why do eikawas have such a bad reputation?
>>
>>1563279
>wants to eat just western food in japan
Dude just fuckin man up you'll find something japanese to eat that you will enjoy stop being a bitch. Weeb shit is easy to ignore if you're not into it, but you gonna be paying way more to eat western food exclusively. What reasons are you going for?
>>
>>1563335
Companies are shit, and oftentimes you get paid per class. So if no one shows, you gotta be in the company during work hours, not working, not making money.

I haven’t done Eikawa, but I’ve heard a lot of awful stories from friends who’ve done it. From what I understand, only reason you’d ever do Eikawa is to steal their students for private classes.

ALT is infinitely better. You work public schools from 9-4, mostly Elementary, teach up to 4 classes a day, each one 45 mins, kids are super chill, and they always like you the most out of all the teachers, afternoons off, weekends free, paid holidays, you teach in teams, pays about 250,000¥ a month, tons of support from your company, etc....
>>
>>1563200
I love how the primary reason you cunts suck Japan's dick is yellow gash. If you have yellow fever so bad, you should just stay in the West and date asians there, at least the ones there would be less fucking insane and cheat less like all the sluts in Japan do.

Also "you gotta be at least an 8/10", if that's the case you're better off staying in the West, unless sinking thousands of hours to learn a dying language to be a dancing monkey and live in a cuckshed JUST to date deranged Jap girls appeals to you.
>>
>>1555856
1. Get a job in IT/compsci and look for hiring opportunities in japan

2. Become an english teacher through JET

3. Do slave work in 3K factories

4. See if your college has any exchange programs, get connections there that way

5. Marry a japanese national, become a 紐 if you're a guy and desperate for a greencard.
>>
>>1555856
Had the opportunity last year to work in Japan as a software engineer for a project that was gonna last 12 to 16 months (probably more like 20-24) for a bank.

Rejected it because too much hassle to deal if I went with it (figure what to do with my house, what to do with my mom since I'm babysitting her, etc). Kinda regret it now since I only had to work 9 hours a day and of course, had all my expenses covered.

So, I'm here just to say, go with it anon, if you really wanna go there, programming might give you an opportunity as long as you specialize in weird languages that nobody likes to use.

Anyways, always make sure you wanna go there for the right reason and not just because you think it's gonna be that amazing country that finally gets you out of depression or some shit, already made that mistake here.
>>
>>1555971
NA and western EU average is around 40 hours? what's so bad about it?
>>
>>1563404
Going for business reasons. I like teriyaki and tempura, but that's not gonna sustain me for long. I'll mix it up.
>>
>>1563410
Different anon, but aren't non-JET ALT positions also done through companies? I'm looking into Interac, Altia, JoyTalk, Borderlink, etc. at the moment and I'm still coming across lots of people complaining that the company was shit and the pay wasn't enough to get by.
>>
>>1563414
>cheat
Men don't go to foreign countries to start relationships anon, they go to fuck foreign chicks for variety and then leave.
>>
>>1563543
I work for bordelink, pays alright, and I put away just under 1000$ a month in savings. They’re also really helpful in getting you set up. Just make sure you come with around 3k in savings to move in comfortably.

I have no issues with them at all personally, I was equally worried about the bad reviews coming in, but everything’s been good so far.
>>
>>1563435
He’s just a lazyfuck NEET who doesn’t know what normal worklife is like. Pampered.
>>
>>1563414
>stay in the west and date ugly westernized “asians” with the same entitlement issues all western girls have
Or
>go to east Asia and date an authentic Japanese girl who will treat you like a king because for her it’s normal to get up early in the morning to make breakfast for her man, wash his back, and treat him with sweet kindness

Nah son. Feel free to date western Asians, they’re actually WORSE than white girls desu, I’ll get stick with the girls that actually treat me well and know how to be feminine.

Also,
>Jap girls
>cheat on their white bf
>western girls
>not massively unfaithful sluts
Good one.
>>
>>1563189
>I’m literally paying 400USD a month for my 25 meter squared place right now.
Are you comped or in the boonies? How do you even go about finding a place that cheap?
>>
>>1563279
Yes you can. Family Restaurant chains like Denny’s will have all the pastas and hot plate burger patties and whatnot. You’ll be fine, although it might be a tad bit more expensive. Even with meat and rice there’s quite a lot for you to choose from. Guydon beef on rice, fried pork cutlet on rice, pork/beef curry with rice, or go to Pepper Lunch for hot plate steak. And Mos Burger has decent burgers, there’s Subway chains etc etc.
Even at Japanese places you can get a set with rice and some grilled chicken or something. Oh how about Korean? Lots of good Korean places around.
>>
>>1563155
You did trades? What was your experience?
>>
>>1562487
If your still around, what's going on with the applications? There's supposed to be some sort of orientation in July but I my application is processing. Apparently there was stuff just recently in February too. Is there going to be another round of hiring in early 2020? That's when I actually plan on being there.
>>
Not hard if you have a bachelors and speak english. If you can't find a job teaching English, you need serious help.
>>
>>1563079
>it's really easy to move over there as a teacher right now
is true, except you will be a literal slave, who cant save any money, but hey at least you can impress the weebs with "i live/d in japan"
>>
>>1563200
>6 happen kids
dios mio
>>
>>1564887
I put away 1000usd each month teaching English in Japan, and work a cozy 9-4 job, with lunch breaks, recess, and tons of free time at work for planning and such. Outside of work hours, I’m totally free to do whatever I want. So idk what you’re on about, but my experience hasn’t been like that at all.
>>
>>1565105
Have you met any non native English speakers teaching English?
>>
>>1565105
That's impressive. Were you on JET? If not, how in the world did you manage to save that much on an ALT salary?
>>
>>1565123
Plenty. There’s loop holes, and demand is so high, companies will exploit them.

>>1565301
Not on JET, but out in the “countryside” cost of living is cheap. By law, ESL teacher salary has to be 250,000¥ meaning you have tons to save.
>>
>>1565339
Will there be a demand after the 2020 Olympics though? It's literally impossible for me to come to Japan any sooner since I'm 18. What would you say is my best course of action right now? If anyone is willing to give advice I'd be happy to hear it
>>
>>1563177
>$100 for a sushi lunch (at least)
fucking lmao to be honest family
>>
what do people plan to do after their ALT "career"?
>>
>>1563189
>Then you’ll fire up Tinder, JapanCupid, Hello Talk, Meetup, and the million other dating apps in Japan, and start meeting Japanese girls who will eagerly ease you into the culture.
these girls are 100% fun to start experiencing Japanese culture with, but apps of that kind attract a particular demographic and it's not the cream of the crop to say the least. after a while it gets tiring when you can't even talk to the pretty girls you see on the streets because they don't speak any English.
>>
File: 1552165788942.webm (2.93 MB, 576x1024)
2.93 MB
2.93 MB WEBM
>>1565550
You can be a ambassador for Japan if you came from a small European country which is a paid position as something like a diplomat or middle-man between two countries. A friend with which I was doing ALT did that while I just went to have a normal career. It pays relatively well and it's not a bad job you usually fly to Japan 6x a year paid by the Japanese embassy. But the problem is that it feels like being a shill for Japan and it can get old fast if you don't really care about any of the political stuff.

Personally for me it would ruin Japan for me as i'd start to see it as a job instead of just a travel destination. I kinda lost my interest in Japan after finding out how ugly the average Japanese girl actually looks.
>>
>>1565584

>that webm
Makeup should be illegal everywhere.
>>
>>1565799
At least it's not the stop sign red, or bright purple lipstick that has become popular here recently.
>>
>>1555858
This.
>>
>>1565404
Another anon reporting in. Nearly every major contracting organisation in Japan will require you to have at least a bachelor's degree, so you're looking at 21/22 at the earliest. Demand is definitely volatile now. I just got accepted onto JET, and they've gone from having 2 ALTs working in Tokyo to over 500 in just a few years. However, schools get a financial incentive from the government for having ALT faculty, plus it's a pain for them to pay for flights and sort out the paperwork if an ALT leaves. Combined with the current work/population shortage that Japan is facing, it's a fair bet to say that demand will continue to rise, nobody knows for certain though.
>>
>>1565948
I'm a non native English speaker though. If I get a bachelor's degree in an English speaking country, I should be considered equal to a native English speaker in terms of being capable for the job, right? I personally want to do this job for a year or two at most and then I'll return to my country most likely
>>
>>1565584
>shoots gun
>one of them is missing at the end
Deepest lore
>>
>>1566038
Yes, you need proof of 12 years education with English as your medium. Like bilingual schools and whatnot. That includes your uni degree. It doesn’t have to be from an English speaking country, but it does help if it is. Degree can be in whatever.

Though, I’m skeptical many of my coworkers meet those standards considering many are from Jamaica or Ghana, and some have fairly poor speaking skills, so I’m sure there’s loopholes.
>>
>>1566083
You can't believe how happy I am to hear this. I had asked /trv/ similar questions 2 years ago and they said that it's pointless to try because they only accepted natives. I'm fairly confident in my english speaking abilities so if you have coworkers like you mentioned, then I'm pretty sure I'll be able to succeed. Honestly thank you for telling me this man
>>
>>1556007
>>1556101
I grew up partly in Japan as my dad was an American with a good job working out there.

It was cool but from an experience point. Living in America is 100x better.

First of all you'll never be Japanese, which you think wont bother you but it will.

Japanese are very very proud of their racial and ethnic purity (and i respect that and understand it) and the feeling of otherness will eventually get to you. It's not like oh "im an immigrant in america and dont fit it." its WAY WAY tougher than that and you will never change that.

Secondly, imagine all the really capitalistic/corporate/work till you die/pull yourself up by your boot stuff that is so constant in america and multiply it by a thousand and thats Japan. Also, their standard of living is pretty low when you really compare it.

It's so small and the houses are pretty bare even the expensive ones. They live in places so tiny it is really hard to comprehend as an American.
>>
>>1555856
Mods delete this stupid shit
>>
>>1566090
A lot of what you read on 4chan is absolute shit. Don’t believe 90% of the negative crap you read on here, most of it is autistic retards LARPing and projecting their own biases onto the world.
>>
>>1566215
I live in Japan currently, I lived in Spain for 8 years, USA for 11, and Mexico for 9.

Out of the 4 of them, USA is the one I would least likely ever go back to, fuck living in America, it’s like a country full of selfish, autistic, superficial, uneducated retards. You’re constantly walking on eggshells, and bear in mind I said this despite living in Japan which a million social rules to keep track of, that’s how bad living in America is.
>>
>>1566215
>First of all you'll never be Japanese
I honestly cannot comprehend why people always mention this. Why would anyone expect to "become Japanese"?
>>
To those that live in Japan, how do you go about making friends over there? I've heard that it's fairly easy to find fellow gaijins to hang out with, but what are the best ways to really connect with a group of locals? I've seen shit like meetup and cultural events mentioned - are they any good?
>>
>>1566245
Yeah I realize that now but it might also have been different the time I asked, regarding the job requirements of a non native English speaker.
>>
>>1566282
its a mutt thing
>>
File: snorlax.png (1003 KB, 1168x628)
1003 KB
1003 KB PNG
If pic related can live in Japan for the past 10 years, anyone can.
>>
How about staying in your own fucken countries, filthy ass gaijins
>>
>>1566283
>how do you go about making friends over there?
Same way you do at home just up the difficulty by a factor of 10.

I dunno why this is always a question. Though understand that you will never be "true friends", asians have this fucking obsession with unless you grew up in X area, you aren't a friend really. Telling the fact is splitting hairs, on what is fake or real. Making friends with Otaku or other transplants is actually the way to go as dumb as that sounds. If you've lived in japan this kinda makes sense though.

>>1566246
>spain
>mexico
Wowie I wonder what color you are and why it might be hard for you in the US.
>>
>>1567684
I'm too good for my shithole country.
I'm another 3rd worlder moving to Japan and there's nothing you can do about it.
>>
>>1566215
>Living in America is 100x better.
Literally this, I will piss off endless weebs but whatever.

The issue with japan is that it is the best damn country at hiding it's problems and the social stigma shit that re-enforces it is completely fucking insane to almost brainwashed levels. The government does a fuck load of shady shit with the yakuza, police constantly look the other way, corporations have absolute say in the ruling parties, and Japanese people are boring as shit unless X has a popular reason.
Issues in Japan living there
>Getting around is a big thing
inb4 "I went there and only paid 500 yen to go to chiba from Namba! very cheap!" when you realize this would cost an american ~few pennies with their car it is a big increase not to mention the constant charges can be an issue, and yes I am aware of day passes. Still costly for actually getting around.
>shit is cheaply made
Most the fucking shit you get in japan is either unholy expensive or affordable to where you put up with the faults and the shit breaks quick.
>healthcare
Absolutely and completely fucking shit if you aren't the standard japanese build/body
>taxes
Worse than euro levels with less benefits
Also
>random places close on random days
>hours for businesses do not align with normal work day shit
>relaxing is impossible
>heating/cooling for any place unless fairly rich is shit
>people "deal w/ it" instead of fixing shit
>the government has absolute say, tough shit on you
>actual dieting for healthy body type is difficult
>ur white thus you do X
>japanese people have worse stereotypes about the world than boomers
>japanese women are completely insane
>most people on the job are braindead, a company would rather hire 25 people at min wage than 10 people at fair wage who are smart
>the amount of retarded people constantly over explaining shit because japs need everything over explained ALWAYS
>>
>>1567693
>Wowie I wonder what color you are and why it might be hard for you in the US.
White.

You ignorant mutt. USA is just a shithole full of niggers and inbred rednecks. Your women are all goldigging whores too, and your best cities are overrun with feminists and faggy hipsters. Complain all you want about other countries, but USA is shit, cause its people are shit. By far the most basic, boring, and uncultured of the developed world.
>>
>>1567703
Also because I KNOW the post is in coming of
>well I lived in Tokyo/area/place when in japan and NEVER had that.

Welp good for you, but not everything is living in Tokyo with English teaching basically babying you for all needs. Yes if you teach english there is a shit load of stuff basically handed to you that you never deal with.

Work as literally anything else, like IT, it's going to show you really what the fuck Japan really hands you without it being wrapped up in a bow.

>inb4 IT is looked down on in japan
No it fucking isn't, IT is just a fucking thing CS programmers rag on, you're not looked down on moreso than the fucking retarded other foreigners. Literally no one cares about it because half the time you just respond with "I work on computers" and bam done.
>>
>>1567711
3/10 almost made me reply with an actual post
>>
>>1567711
You're on the wrong board.

You can go back to /pol/ with the rest of the degenerates
>>
Yo faggots.
Just arrived at this wonderland.
Will be staying for six months, planning on getting a part time job(visa only allows for that) so that I can finish my Japanese course, so that I can learn this hassle of a language.

I am legit here, timestamp as proof.

Tomorrow ill get settled into a sharehouse, and try to solve most of the mobile SIM and travel card problems.

If it ain't too much of a pain in the ass, Id love to meet with the faggots in this board who reside at Tokyo, so that you can properly teach me the way of the weaboo without anonymously LARPing in an imageboard.

What I'm talking about is REAL HUMAN CONTACT. If that is too much for you cucks to handle, Ill understand. This is 4chin after all.

But, if anyone here is willing to take their green masks off and grab a beer, Ill be happy to oblidge.

Also, I know nothing of Japanese except for some few and far between words in my memory. This means that if you come up chatting full nippongo autism, ill just assume you've mistaken me with somebody else.

I'd love to know if I meet the 8/10 standards that someone posted here. Teach me the art of fucking jappanese pussy.
>>
>>1567807
You are the most insufferable faggot I have encountered in all my 14 years on 4chan, and that’s saying something.
>>
>>1567703
>>healthcare
>Absolutely and completely fucking shit if you aren't the standard japanese build/body
expand
>>
>>1567824
This. I live in Tokyo and I'd like to meet an Anon now and again, but I'm not going to help some sex tourist that types like a fucking Redditor. Go to a bar in Roppongi and be among your own kind.
>>
>>1567824
I take it you haven't payed /b/ a visit as of lately.

But seriously, if you're here, wanna meet?
>>
>>1567807
>Just arrived at this wonderland
WOW REALLY EPIC!

Fun fact, in 2 months all that shit will wear off and you will hat shit unless paid a big amount.

>>1567831
Healthcare for non asians is under dosed constantly, it's often misdiagnosed as well since unless you are fluent(protip you aren't) you will be waiting on a translator certified to translate all issues.

The amount of fear for some drug to be used improper is like LOL DUDE JUST TAKE VITAMIN C, I am not joking
>>
>>1567843
I am surprised by the healthcare comments, I have heard from multiple people that Japanese healthcare is quite good, but admittedly they were all Asian.
>>
>>1567831
oh it also is taxed a shit load lol
>>
>>1567807
this is you after a month
https://www.reddit.com/r/JapanTravel/comments/6379ap/wasting_my_time_in_japan/dfruh00/?context=1
>>
>>1567835
Wow, you guys really have been cooped up here on /trv/

Back at /b/ we are mostly as autistic as can be.
But jokes aside, and I really do mean it, I'd love to put a face to the post numbers. I've kind of dived in blind. Did my homework of what to expect here in Japan, how to behave(Aisatsu and all that) and some meager survival Japanese to keep me from starving.

Now that I'm here, I really feel the culture shock that >>1563177 mentioned.
>Think it's crowded where you live?
I'm not talking about minor things mentioned here, and I didn't come to Japan to be a sex tourist - I'm here to study, study and study. >>1565553 never had a try at any of these either.

And seeing >>1567807 made >>1567835 and >>1567824 so butthurt, I'm sorry. I've spent the last 26 hours sitting on a hard airplane seat, without any consistent sleep. I'm a good old /b/tard and I lack the experience in most other boards, /trv/ included. Sorry for coming up with >>1567807 and including any and all pieces of sleep-deprived enhanced autism that I cultivated back on /b/
Would you two fellows accept some squid chips as an apology?
>>
>>1567843
Butthurt English teacher detected.

I’ve been living and working here for years now. Doctors suck in regards to limited hours and them never wearing gloves or washing their hands, but I’ve always gotten proper medicine.
>>
>>1567850
How do you guys not meet asian girls? Are you just ugly or something?
>>
>>1567855
This is her btw
>>
>>1567856
Sure
Keep telling yourself that, and maybe that little fantasy of yours will come true
>>
I see the shitposters are out in full force.

>Is Japan a magical anime wonderland where everyone will love you for being white?
No.
>Is Japan a terrible shithole that does absolutely nothing right?
No.
>Is Japan, like any country, a real place with a mix of positives and negatives that you either get used to or bitch about on an anonymous image board.
Yes.
>>
>>1567807
What sharehouse are you staying at?
>>
>>1567851
>Back at /b/ we are mostly as autistic as can be.
Do you have any self awareness at all? I feel like I'm talking to the Penguin of Doom copy pasta.
>>
>>1567858
Uhhh, ok?

>>1567860
>Is Japan, like any country, a real place with a mix of positives and negatives that you either get used to or bitch about on an anonymous image board.
This. I don’t understand the Japan hateboner on this board. There are so many overblown exaggerations of how bad it is here, that I’m genuinely confused. It’s been a good ride for me so far, super comfy, tons of cute girls, and I don’t even speak Japanese yet.

I’m wondering if the people with the massive hateboner are just disillusioned, ugly neckbeard weeaboos or something...

I get treated really well, life is peaceful and comfy, girls and guys alike wanna hang out and be friends, I genuinely don’t get it.
>>
>>1567865
Your experience may vary. I've known teachers who came to Japan and then leave in a few weeks because they just can't deal.
>>
>>1567856
God, imagine what that Korean girl looked like before surgery lel
>>
>>1567880
>tfw you will never bang a plastic korean cutie
>>
>>1567865
Lol it's the weebs that have never even been to Japan or are a month into their contract that have the the fantasies. I say shit along the lines of
>try if for a year or two but I think you'll find after that you wont want to work there anymore because the pay flatlines and you have a very full schedule.
And people freak the fuck out because there is a chunk of this board that thinks one day they will even move to the Japanese country side and stay there forever when they probably don't even have the mental capacity to learn more than 50 kanji. So telling them some of the facts of life about it bursts their bubbles. One day I'm going to scan through 4plebs and find all the posts of people unironically saying they want to move to RURAL Japan and they dont even know Japanese and not like a year or two, they say forever. its fucking hilarious. I use to try and warn people that theyre being fucking retarded but now its just funny. Especially since a lot of them probably couldn't even get a job here in the first place cause they mention they dont have a university degree lol.
I am saying this from a cafe in Japan cause I'm on vacation but somehow still a Japan hater to those idiots. Are there nice jobs in Japan, totally but you have to REALLY want to live here to teach English fld 15 plus years and never make more than 3 thousand dollars for your adult career.
>>
You will still be fat in Japan
>>
File: image.jpg (2.74 MB, 4032x3024)
2.74 MB
2.74 MB JPG
>>1567893
I’m
>>1567855
>>1567856
>>1567865

I literally, LITERALLY live in the Japanese countryside, put away about 1000$ a month in savings, and my personal experience couldn’t be any different from what you and most of the shitposters itt have described.

Pic fucking related. It’s the view from outside my window rn if you don’t believe me.
>>
>>1567894
This.

If you’re a loser in your own country, you’ll still be a loser in Japan, except even more ostracized. If you’re a chad, then you’ll have a great time and get tons of cute girls who’ll wanna spend time with you.

Moral of the story, if you’re a weeaboo loser, beware of coming to Japan thinking it’ll fux your life. Odds are you’ll end up a disillusioned butthurt weeaboo with a hateboner for the thing he once loved, just like all the other shitposters itt.
>>
>>1567899
Do u think fat japs dream of going to america to become skinny without having to lose weight
>>
>>1567901
Fat japs are a rare specimen in and of themselves.

This country doesn’t take kindly to obesity.
>>
People need to stop looking at Japan for escapism. If you want to live in Japan because you're unhappy with your life now, you're going to be disappointed. It's not some magical place that will cure your depression or make you a charismatic chad. It's just a place. It had good things and bad things, just like where you are now. If, after weighing up the pros and cons, you still decide that you like living there, you'll be fine. But if you're a depressed sack of shit just looking for an easy way to be happy, Japan isn't going to do it for you.
>>
>>1567903
The only real breakaway pro it has is that if you’re an attractive white guy, you go from being reasonably popular, to a goddamn superstar.
>>
>>1567895
Then congrats dude, if you dont think our stories are universal then what makes you think yours is?
I didnt leave Japan because I had a miserable time, I just couldn't imagine working there for a decade and becoming like some of the middle aged expats I met. I can travel there basically two months out of the year so no complaints here. I actually do plan on living there for 1 year again at some point, but mostly to keep improving in Japanese. Its only the people that have never lived there that think it's a fantasy land that they will never have any complaints about for the rest of their lives that I think are dumb. But like I said most of them aren't going there anyway cause they dont have degrees lol, thank God they have that filter.
>>
>>1567904
protip: this thread is about the discussion of japan irl, not in an incel fantasy
>>
>>1567908
He's not entirely wrong. Most people only take notice of very attractive or very unattractive people in their home country. The majority in the middle is pretty much invisible. Overseas, everyone will notice you because you look different. So the invisible average guy gets more attention than he would at home. Obviously chad becomes gigachad and ugly permavirgin remains that way.
>>
>>1567908
Good thing I’m notban incel then.

I’m genuinely temped to post a photo of myself but it would be against my better judgement all things considered.
>>
>>1567908
Fuck off roastie.
>>
File: images.jpeg.jpg (23 KB, 480x360)
23 KB
23 KB JPG
>>1567914
>I'm so handsome I really want to post a picture of myself on 4chan to prove it.
Kill yourself you fucking faggot, and theres an entire board that does that too so maybe you should just post it.
>>
>>1563583
>I dont want to work 40 hours a week and never break 3000 usd a month.
More like I want to retire one day.
>>
>>1567917
Nah, I don’t think I will actually. I’ll just continue to chuckle as I watch you seethe. I got nothing to prove anyway, I already get all the validation I want from Asian women, why would I want it from some smelly neckbeard?
>>
>>1567921
I'm calling you a faggot because anyone who is "genuinely tempted" to post their photo on 4chan is a giant faggot.
And it's you who has me chuckling only elliot Rodger cringefags talk like you do. I doubt you are very attractive in real life and those Asian women are probably prostitutes if they exist at all.
>>
>>1567921
Oh and the LARPing continues!
>>
>>1567924
Not OP but, btw, I’ve justed booked me some time with a hooker. Real nice thing.

Have you guys heard of Tokyo Hentai Club?
>>
>>1567926
Whatever you need to tell yourself to cope.
>>
>>1567928
>>1567926
Watch out he might post his picture then you will really have to cope.
>>
>>1567928
You’re one to talk.
I won’t waste any more time on this thread, at least in the next six hours, but if you really want to prove it to us, do it the old fashioned way. A good picture with a time stamp.

No dodgy business. And if you reply to this post with a
>why would I want validation from some smelly neck beard?
I’m not the same as >>1567917
Actually, I’m the same poster as >>1567858
You don’t need our validation of course. But if you truly were “banging up the princess” as you so blatantly depict in your posts, it wouldn’t be that hard to provide us with a little more proof, would it?

Think of it this way, if you do prove to us your social superiority, you’ll get to watch us >>1567921 seethe as you seemingly enjoy.

Faggotting cunt.
>>
>>1567921
you're living breathing cringe mate

kys
>>
>>1567807
>meeting a dutchoid
Yeah I'm not falling for that one again.
>>
>>1555971
>Full time is a hard 40 hours a week
That's just a 9 to 5, you idiot
>>
>>1567960
Most the people I talk to have a break shoved in their day that makes them be at work for like 10 hours
>>
>>1567961
I work 12 hours a day 7 days a week for like 2-3mo at a time and honestly it's not that hard as long as you plan a good month of fucking whores after
>>
>>1567987
I mean I do something similar now. I'd much rather work my ass off half the year and do whatever I want the other half.
>>
>>1567989
You got it buddy, that's the way
>>
This thread is cancer. FUCK WEEBS.
>>
From every negative that I get in this thread, I gather that Japan is exactly what I was looking for.

Some may say that this is no wonderland, but to me this is paradise.

A dystopian cyberpunk paradise. Where the government is controlled by mega corporations and the majority of the population are corporate slaves that work their asses off for shitty wages. Where society has failed to keep up with the booming technological advancements, thus rendering this anomalous phenomenon where centuries old traditions coexist with an ever changing world. This is the infamous Night City from necromancer that Gibson describes, the place Case goes to in search of illegal and unethical cybernetics to rid his body of the Neurotoxins that keep him from jacking into a deck and working his craft as a console cowboy.

I dunno about you faggots, but for me this is the place. If I am ever going to score a decent cyberpunk title, this is where I must be. And the language is a bonus. I can easily see myself developing a hard magick system based on hiragana and kanji, if I choose to write a fantasy novel.

Also, fuck y'all
>>
>>1568458
Got a typo there. This goddamn phone autocorrects my cyber slang. Necromancer in
>This is the infamous Night City from necromancer that Gibson describes
is actually neuromancer.
>>
File: 1528140612596.jpg (645 KB, 1600x1060)
645 KB
645 KB JPG
>>1568458
Based.
>>
>>1568458
You have autism.
>>
>>1568469
And you're mentally retarded. Took you this long to notice it?

Haven't you figured out yet that 4chin is a nest of autism and faggotry?
>>
>>1568466
Finally someone who speaks my language!

I was afraid my post was going to fall into blind eyes, but gladly here you are to spark the flame of hope back in my heart.

What did you find of Gibson's works?
>>
>>1568458
Sounds like New York
>>
>>1568458
Except Tokyo is the least cyberpunk city in all of East Asia you dumb weeb faggot.
>>
>>1568528
How is it the least cyberpunk city in all of East Asia?
How dumb can you be, faggot?
>>
>>1568541
Not him. I wouldn’t say it’s the LEAST cyberpunk in Asia, as Tokyo is pretty cyberpunk, especially toward the north, but both Hong Kong and Shenzhen have it beat. Shenzhen literally has open tech markets where they sell and recycle scrap tech and stuff, like, open street markets where you can repair your phone for pennies, and Hong Kong was the main inspiration for Blade Runner in regard to aesthetic.
>>
>>1568541
what do you think "cyberpunk" means exactly?
>>
>>1568458
Thanks for the new copypasta
>>
>>1568607
Glad to be of service.
>>
>>1568458
>slowly the Dutch bares his teeth and lets loose his autism on the unsuspecting
>>
>>1568458
>From every negative that I get in this thread, I gather that Japan is exactly what I was looking for.
Uhh okay

>A dystopian cyberpunk paradise.
Not china, move over.
Japan's issues are fine to put up with for an extended holiday or vacation, buttfucking retarded to put up with as a citizen.

>I dunno about you faggots, but for me this is the place. If I am ever going to score a decent cyberpunk title, this is where I must be.
Enjoy becoming very depressed after 3 or so months and realizing you made a horrible mistake, have an exit plan
>>
>>1568740
Been here for 6 months and I still don’t get these issues you keep bringing up.

Really the only two that stick out are:
>language
But that’s my fault, it’s up to me to integrate, not vice versa
>paperwork and meticulous beurocracy for everything
A pet peeve sure, but a small price to pay given how efficient everything runs.

Everything else is fantastic. Made TONS of local friends, and all of them have been super friendly, and super helpful in helping my integrate. Work is good, I live comfortably, and still put away reasonable savings, food is cheap and delicious, everything is super convenient, and tons of Asian girls give me lots of attention, particularly girls from Kansai who are super firey, or girls from outside Japan. My life in Japan has been a sigbificant upgrade from my life before, in pretty much every category.
>>
>>1568794
Compared to life in the US Japan is a huge step down in virtually every possible way to anyone who works skilled fields or lives in something not remote town in flyoverville. I'm not sure who you are referring to that was like my first post here lol.

I never bring up language as being an issue since yeah that's on you to handle. Paperwork is shit and annoying to everything that is automated or paperless in the US, I still don't know why I need to hand write some bills out.

People can be friendly sure, just like anywhere in the world it isn't as horrible as some anons make it out to be but it a shit load more work than other places.
>work is good
wouldn't call 80 mil yen "good" for my field, especially with the way taxes work as well compared to america.

>My life in Japan has been a sigbificant upgrade from my life before, in pretty much every category.
That's great and all but everytime I hear this it's always from someone coming from a small town, rural area, or some kind of lower end country in poorer parts of europe or south america. Like no shit it's better but that doesn't mean it applies to everyone same as it being a downgrade in some regards.

If you're doing some English exchange or program, that's not the same as working in japan, many of the things are handed to you unlike "lol figure it out dude" for others. I would say the same for a contractor working on a US base and having the contract agency basically do all the major heavy lifting for you.
>>
>>1568740
There's this guy in my sharehouse who's been here for four or so years. Then there's this other dude who's been here since the house got opened. Both aren't clinically depressed - as I know of - and don't say that coming to Japan was a horrible mistake.

Stop thinking you're the center of the universe and anything that happens to you surely happens to someone else.

Try living in a sharehouse. There's always nice people living with you; you get to meet people from all over the world, and every now and then they throw parties that makes it easier for you to befriend their friends and make your own friends, therefore not being a fucking house hobo.

Also, rent's usually cheap, utilities included, and if the management is good, broken things often get fixed or replaced. It's a perfect little environment.
>>
>>1568981
>dude just stay in a guest house when trying to maintain a professional carrier

2/10 made me reply but seriously try hard if you think that guest house is a good long term solution for a work/life schedule in Japan.
>>
>>1568797
>It’s the American engineer faggot again
Lol, no one cares dude. Too bad your experience sucked so hard, and that life in the USA is SOOOO much better for you. Your experience doesn’t define everyone else’s, stop going around raining on everyone’s parade and promising them that after a month they’ll be depressed living in Japan, because that’s what happened to you. For all intents and purposes, you’re most certainly a fringe case, and hardly representative of the majority of people’s experiences, yet here you are, continuously promising people they’re gonna have a bad time just like you did, pretty much all thread. Given the experience we’ve all had arguing with you for TWO WEEKS, Japan wasn’t the problem, it was you, you’re mentally ill bro.

>>1568981
I did the sharehouse thing for a bit. If I’d stayed in Tokyo center I probably woulda done that, super chill, and it had a very lively, and homely atmosphere. One of the women there wanted it to feel like a home, so we’d all sit together at dinner and talk. Also, there was this super cute Vietnamese chick who was totally on it. She did art modelling, and started showing me her “artsy” nudes. I got her number in the end, but had I stayed, no doubt we woulda banged.

I did the sharing flats thing when living in Europe too. It’s a great way to hook up with girls, as sooner or later something happens.
>>
>>1568989
Fuck off dude. Jesus, what an insufferable faggot.
>>
>>1568797
80 million is fucking excellent, especially considering living costs are half the US. Quit trying to brag, faggot.
>>
>>1569010
It's not like there is only one IT/CS guy on this board that wasn't sold on Japan. IT/CS is probably the biggest field for foreigners from the US going to japan behind English teaching or military relocation. You are really acting weird assuming it's the same anon constantly who has issues especially in a field on 4chan of all places. Maybe people in that field have seen similar issues since they work in the same field. Companies that are going to pay for a foreign IT person or CS engineer probably aren't going to be in the more cost effective areas for living, so putting stuff like working downtown or in bigger parts of the city can affect cost of living/quality of life. Not everyone is okay living 60+ minutes away just to get to and from work.

Japan has a bunch of issues but no one is completely shitting on it as being the worst thing ever but it's a mixed bag depending where you work and for who. There just so many factors basically all you can do is express what you've seen and to take things with a grain of salt. Staying "living in Japan" can mean a shit load and not only the niche place some anons lived/worked.

Calm down anon lol geez. One thing I will notate on is that a Sharehouse does have a lot of pitfalls someone working long days doesn't want to deal with, especially with many of them having shared services and thin walls. Fine for working holiday visa, not good for long term goals.
>>
>>1569018
Bro, it’s clearly been you all thread, you bring up the exact same talking points every time:
>after three months all the good stuff will fade away and you’ll be depressed
>America is SOOOO much better

It’s cool dude, sucks things didn’t work out for you. Japan isn’t for everyone. TRAVELING and living in foreign countries isn’t for everyone. If you’re difficult to adapt and antisocial, you’re gonna have a bad time no matter where you go. If you’re more prone to focusing on the negative aspects of a country, and comparing them to the best parts of your own country, your experience will be miserable.

But STOP coming in here and INSISTING to everyone that they’re gonna hate it long term just like you did. You’re relentless about that shit, and it’s genuinely obnoxious.

Yes, Japan is a country like any other, with flaws and positive highlights, it’s not paradise. But it’s people are super warm and friendly and welcoming, and it has an incredibly high standard of living. It’s also very peaceful, and culturally exotic. At least that’s been my personal experience. No it’s not weeb paradise. And no, if you’re an ugly loser you won’t suddenly haveva harem of Asian girls. But yes, it’s a very nice country to live in if you’re a well-balanced individual with an open mind.

Japan won’t fix you if you’re broken on the inside though.

Regardless of how friendly the Japanese might be, no one likes antisocial weirdos, and you’ll be ostricized here just the same as in your home country.
>>
>>1568797
I wouldn’t consider Japan a huge step down. I worked in Chicago and Atlanta before moving here and I much prefer Tokyo to either of those places. Yeah, my house here is smaller and Japanese inflexibility can get annoying, but there’s so much I enjoy about living here that I can’t see myself leaving anytime soon. Just because you had a negative experience doesn’t mean everybody else will.
>>
>>1569035
>>1569038
Guessing you are assuming I am this anon >>1563177 or something but no, not that guy is on some weird shit.

>Just because you had a negative experience doesn’t mean everybody else will.
yeah I agree? Like I said any complaint/praise of Japan has to be taken to some extent as a grain of salt. I know people who went full on citizen and love it. I know others who are overworked and hate it. I never generalized that, you're mixing up more anons on top of other anons.

If you want to go living in japan by all means feel free to do so, but i always tell people that 1 week in japan for a vacation can not be 100% accurate of living there.

I really don't have any clue what the hell you are on about, you're really confusing anons here. So responding to whatever the hell you are on about would be pointless lol. Realize there are multiple anons in this thread, some of which probably work in similar fields, areas in japan, employers, and others which may have had good and bad experiences that are both valid to them.
>>
Japan's culture is AIDs. Do you really want to live in a place where their culture is to kill themselves for minor mistakes?
>>
>>1568981
>Try living in a sharehouse.
lmao tbqh
>>
>>1569078
>t. retard who has never been to Japan
>>
File: share.png (197 KB, 897x553)
197 KB
197 KB PNG
>>1569083
>dude just change your standards of living to be what worked for ME!
>wtf why didn't people enjoy japan, I was okay with MY standards and just fine why don't others like that!

I will never understand this mentality. Not everyone wants to move to some other country okay with living in a share house, same way some people will not be fine living in a hostel but others are. yeah this will be cozy for a little bit but oh what's that the walls are paper thin? heating and cooling is ass? You have to wait on others for anything like laundry, shower, etc? All food and shit is done in a common room too? Wow what a steal!

>inb4 you can get cheaper dude
Yeah and you also are sacrificing things like locations to town center, a train station, even more commodities. If they work for you fine, but man those things become insane bane of living in winter or summer when you realize that swamp cooler or heater doesn't fucking cut it.

I'm sure plenty of people on 4chan are fine with those small places, but I don't see how you could keep those up long term. Though everyone is different, so probably works for some. My friends who did working holiday visa's lived the year or so in those, somehow didn't mind it but don't know any that recommend them for long term stay.
>>
>>1569100
Some people aren’t antisocial autists and enjoy company.

Sharehouses are considerably more comfortable and organized in Japan than the ones in Europe. I should also note that sharing a flat when you first move out of home, or go to Uni is rather common for Europeans as well, so most of are already used to it.
>>
>>1569117
>Some people aren’t antisocial autists and enjoy company.
So if you want your own flat or apartment with kitchen, bathroom, and some space you're anti-social and an autist?

Fucking what even.Next you'll probably be calling home ownership a meme just like marriage or some stupid shit.
>>
>>1569121
No, but obviously having a place to yourself is gonna be more costly. Some people are fine with putting up with minor inconveniences for a cheaper cost of living. You’re making it out as if sharing a place in Japan is a nightmare, because GOD FORBID YOU GOTTA WAIT TO USE THE BATHROOM. And man, eating with company?!? Good lord, what a travesty!!

Compared to some of the genuine horror stories you can experience sharing a place in other parts of the world, including the US, sharing a place in Japan is heavenly.
>>
I wish I did the sharehouse thing. Would've been like the old uni days minus the pot.
Anybody have experience working at ski resorts in Japan? Dont care where just any info would be appreciated. Seems like the perfect way to live in Japan for more than 3 months but less than 1 year. I have experience but not in Japan, but I know some Japanese probably N3 but haven't taken the test
>>
>>1569284
>I know some Japanese probably N3 but haven't taken the test

Which means in reality you're barely N4 and speak at N5. Self-assessment is famously flawed.
>>
>>1569290
Since their "test" is multiple choice that you can take online and "speaking" isnt factored in you probably dont know anything about it.
>>
>>1569316
You can't actually take JLPT online. Yes, I know it doesn't factor speaking or writing in any way. The skill levels are still used as general descriptors of those skills among Japanese learners.

In short, you're a clueless retard.
>>
Anyone living and working in jap that actually dont live in a shoebox? Is it possible if you have a couple steps higher salary than the average teacher?
>>
>>1569425
I have a 4LDK house that I rent. Yes, its very possible if you’re coming here as a skilled worker.

>>1569284
>>1569316
I hate to tell you this, but your Japanese is probably shit. I don’t what it is, sepcifically about Japanese learners, but they always think they’re way better than they actually are.
>>
>>1569462
I'm a different anon but, I'm not like that. I usually put myself down before others hoist me up.
I don't understand how someone that speaks Japanese poorly can ever think that they are better at it. Just go the the fucking konbini and try talking to the cashier.
>>
>>1569100
OakHouse I see!

But seriously, I live in an oakhouse sharehouse and its really close to those key places you mentioned.

>but oh what's that the walls are paper thin?
They are indeed, and my housemates have warned me about that. But what about it? Just don't be a loud obnoxious piece of shit. When you live in a sharehouse, at a foreign country, you'll most likely encounter mature adults. They won't make noise because they know how annoying it is.
Oh, but maybe your point is that you won't be able to scheme against your neighbors because they'll hear all your evil plans, to which the solution is to grow up.
Or perhaps your afraid they'll hear you masturbate. The people hear have told me about this. They've asked gently about keeping my volume down, especially if I bring my own gaijin hunter to my room. We're all adults here, we all know that other people have needs. And think on the bright side: maybe you'll hear that Italian girl next door having an orgasm by herself.

>heating and cooling is ass?
I dunno about the cooling, since I've just arrived and it still hasn't warmed up to the point of me thinking about lowering the temperature on the air conditioning. But it heats up just fine, and oakhouse had this thing about this sharehouse that has the utilities bill fixed.

>You have to wait on others for anything like laundry, shower, etc?
I take it you're a mommy's boy who's never had to wait for anything right? There are enough toilets in this house(in my opinion) and I seldom find at least one of them in use. Haven't checked the showers, but will do that in a minute, and the laundry room seems efficient enough so that people do their shit fast. Again, I feel like I must bring up the topic that
>you're a spoiled little brat who never had to wait for anything, so you didn't learn how to plan ahead and avoid situations where you really need to wash your clothes but all of the washing machines are busy.
>>
>>1555971
>40 hours a week is brutal
Where are you from? I'm asking seriously, I want to move there
>>
>>1569100
>All food and shit is done in a common room too?
You really are naive. I've been surviving on cup noodles and bentos, and both can usually be heated up at the konbini, bagged in a special brown plastic and brought home, that is, if you don't mind heating it up on the microwave back at the house for a few minutes.
If you want to actually cook, the kitchen is decently large and manages to fit at least four people, maybe eight if everyone just uses one pan. Again, it just seems like
>you're a spoiled brat who never had to wait for anything.
I'm sorry, but all the points you made are just about that. And, the rent to that place on the photo is way too expensive. I found this place that costs about 51k, utilities included. But hey, it is a little bit far from downtown Tokyo and hey, I do need to take a train or any other transportation method that requires me to wait, but I don't mind it because I'm not a
>spoiled little brat who always had mommy do everything for them and never made them wait.

> I don't see how you could keep those up long term
Accept it. You're a mommy's boy. You're a spoiled little brat. >>1569139 my man here has it right. GOD FORBID YOU HAVE TO PUT UP WITH OTHER PEOPLE FOR LONG PERIODS OF TIME. Haven't I told you already about this other douche who isn't me btw, and lives here for ten years? He lives in this sharehouse since it first got opened. And he doesn't seem miserable, in fact he has a girlfriend to warm his bed at night and friends to warm his table.

>>1569121 >>1569117
And hey, I am an antisocial Autist. Before coming to Japan, I was a neet. Didn't work didn't study, just were in my room 24/7 masturbating all day and struggled when I had to leave the house to buy some milk from the konbini next door because I've finished the ones in the fridge and I can't have my fruit loops without milk. But hey, people change. People grow up. I saw something in Japan that I really wanted, and I sacrificed my antisocial way of life for it.
>>
>>1569462
What salary range is necessary for a place like that, and is it somewhat close to the city? My normal offers for salaries are just over the six figure mark in the neighbouring countries, which would be slightly lower because of less demand in japan.
>>
>>1569371
>>1569462
Jeez what is with the people in these threads just wanted to know about ski jobs not get into an argument about my Japanese ability. Yea so difficult to know how many kanji and grammar each test requires and do practice tests, maybe for you retards. Fucking dumbass mentioned speaking then backtracked. I have enough mature cards in anki to have a shot at passing N2. Just dont want to fork out 60 bucks and go to some random city and take it and have to be with smelly dweebs like you guys.
>>
>>1569654
Do you have anything against us filthy smelly gaijin?
>>
>>1569527
America and anybody who works 40 hours a week for 2000usd a month is a wageslave retard or unfortionatly from a shitty country.
>>
>>1569658
Yes, you give us normal cleancut gaijin a bad rep.
>>
>>1569654
And I have a certificate saying I passed N1, so I don't need to judge based on pleb shit like Anki. You on the other hand sound like you'd have problems with N3.
>>
>>1569668
No you dont. You're the one who sounds insecure about their Japanese ability since I was asking about something else and you jumped on this.
And I probably would have trouble with N3 that's why I literally said I could "probably" pass N3 not definetly because like I said I don't want to spend money to be locked in a room for 4 hours with people like you.
>>
File: Untitled.png (484 KB, 700x418)
484 KB
484 KB PNG
>>1569673
Like it or not, provable Japanese ability is important when living in Japan. Now cope.
>>
>>1569685
Haha I was hoping you'd actually post it.
>yea I'm curious about jobs in Japan, maybe I'm N3.
>FUCKKING NO UR NOT LOOK AT ME IM N1 上手ですよ!!!!
LMAO
Omedeto, still seems like you're the one that needs to chill out and are insecure. Its not like I was even bragging or anything and you are freaking out enough to post time stamps. Still think you're faking since it's a perfect score and you seem like a dumbass lol.
>>
>>1569693
Nice fiction. You're the one shaking.

And don't worry. My score being high is what opened many door for me. There are many people with N1, but not so many with high scores.
>>
>>1569694
Yea literally shaking in fear of your superior Japanese. Dude I was asking about fucking ski jobs and you felt the need to post your JLPT score. You're a giant loser and a fag
>>
>>1569698
You brought up your Japanese ability, dude. And now you know the rule - have the paper.
>>
>>1569700
Yea in context of asking about jobs in Japan lol not to have a contest. That shows how insecure you are you jumped that someone mentioned they MIGHT be n3 so that you can post your score. Really I'm laughing at the fact that you went out of your way to post a time stamp but almost feel bad for you. Wow dude you're so good at Japanese that you can brag on 4chan about it!
>>
>>1569701
Don't worry. I am doing a lot more with it.
>>
>>1569702
What next going to post your score on another chan or maybe reddit? Wow I bet the people over there will be so impressed!
>>
>>1569632
Not him, but I live an hour from Tokyo, and live in a small single bedroom flat for 500$ a month + bills and etc... my monthly salary is 250,000¥ a month, leaving me with more than enough money to live well, and still put away about 1000$ a month in savings. Living in Tokyo, I reckon a salary like mine would be plenty, and you could still put away a couple hundred.
>>
>>1569661
Cost of living in the USA is higher than Japan. 250,000¥ a month is equivalent to earning like 4000$ in the USA, even if the exchange rate comes out to less. In Japan you can have decent savings with a salary like that, whereas in the USA $2000 is like survival, you’re on the lower scale of earnings, below average. In Japan 250,000¥ is just above average actually.
>>
>>1569685
No th faggot you’re arguing with. How hard is the N1 btw? I just moved here and my Japanese ability is severely lacking, I can read a lot of stuff, but my communication skills are below average. How long did it take you to pass it?
>>
>>1569712
>I wanna be as glorious a faggot as you are one day.
>>
>>1569712
Around three years. But I didn't do the autistic Anki drill, so you could probably do it faster with that. I focused more on reading and practical usage.

>>1569715
Now you're just getting fucking salty. Stay around N3, I guess.
>>
>>1569712
>>1569716
Also I want to add that JLPT doesn't really test active communication in any way. I can speak Japanese, but that comes mostly from living in Japan and actively seeking chances to engage with people.

If you just moved here, just do the same and you should see improvement.
>>
>>1569716
>butthurt enough to post a timestamp
>calls the other guy salty.
>took him THREE years to get to N1
Omg dude so you are a fucking retard. I've only been doing this a year. Maybe I'm getting overzealous in trolling but you are way more butthurt and now I know you're actually stupid too. You called me a pleb for using anki but wasted fucking years because you're too much a brainlet to use it.
In all seriousness to >>1569712 dont listen to him he's actually dumb. Use anki and you will be better than him pretty quick. And if you just use anki for your "mined" words while reading you only spend like 10 minutes a day with it.
>>
>>1569730
Wow, I'm starting to feel bad about how salty you got.

You need to realize that the distances between levels get much longer as you go up. The distance between N3 and N2 is about as big as all the previous levels together. And then N2 to N1 is twice that. You sound like you'll take five years to N1 even with anki.
>>
>>1569733
*takes THREE YEARS to get to N1 and still bragging*
dude you realize the standard time is 2 years and anybody in the Japanese general threads on /int/ and /jp/ would call you a brainlet. Now I realize why you were insecure enough to post your score.
>>
>>1569736
2 years? Most people only take a year. How retarded are you?
>>
>>1569715
No... I wanna be fluent in Japanese so I can properly integrate into society. Even in dating, some girls will shy away cause they’re scared of having to use English. Being fluent in Japanese helps bridge that gap, as the first thing you learn about Japanese people once you settle in, is that they’re ridiculously shy.

I also need fluency for networking and to expand my career options here. I don’t wanna be an ALT my whole life.
>>
>>1569663
There are no normal cleancut gaijin in the eyes of a true and proud Japanese. Quit living inside that fantasy world of yours. We're all filthy degenerates here.
>>
>>1569751
Fuck off you stupid weeb. The Japanese are the most warm and welcoming out of all the East Asian cultures. Doubly so for the people in Osaka.

The Japanese who look at most foreigners with disdain are soulless salarymen from Tokyo who hate themselves, and even there they’re a minority. If you’re an outwardly normal person, and respectful, most Japanese will be curious about you and happy to make friends. And a Japanese friend is crazy loyal.

The 4chan myth of the Japanese being stubborn racists is just that, a myth.
>>
>>1569685
I'm actually impressed. My kanji and vocab is progressing along nicely. Can I ask how you studied grammar though? Did you use a textbook, just pick it up from reading shit, or something else?
>>
>>1569750
>some girls shy away
Some girls. If you stick to gaijin hunters you needn't worry, they'll do anything for those gaijin chromosomes of yours.
>>
>>1569757
The only stupid weeb here is you faggot, who's obviously too naive to take the cheap bait I use on my posts.
>>
>>1569767
> I was only pretending!
>>
>>1569632
If you factor that my housing costs are comped, I make over 6 figures (USD). That said l, I’m not struggling to get by at all and could probably get by in my current place at around 70-80k, with my kids
>>
>>1569707
That sounds like an awful lifestyle.
>>
>>1569775
I assume most are reimbursed somehow by company, but still interested in the cost and distance. Is this central city and is that a typical deal for an expat? Assuming you have any foreigner colelagues that is.

Im curious about life for a high skill worker in his late 20s early 30s.
>>
>>1569777
I’m 25 and single, so it’s actually comfy as fuck.
>>
>>1569766
Do gaijin hunters care mostly about nationality or for looks? For example, will they become not interested if I'm not American or a generally famous country?
>>
Where does all the money go for these ALTs that say they don't get paid enough? In your first year, tax and health care is really low, so the salary easily covers expenses like rent, bills and food. Are they eating out everyday? Going to clubs every night? Where does their money go?
>>
>>1569744
Less retarded than that guy more retarded than you.
>>
>>1569791
Just lie and say you’re American/European. Or just go to Osaka.
>>
>>1569760
Both.

N1 has grammar questions where subtle differences come into play. Those are best studied from textbooks that explicitly explain them and then demostrate on examples.
>>
>>1569799
I'm European but not from western Europe so I don't really have that prestige. In Europe I might have it but I doubt people know a lot about my country in Japan
>>
>>1569831
Just lie and say you’re German, Japs don’t know any better.
>>
>>1569905
Huh I guess that could work. I'm south European but many people have mistaken me for a German, even Germans so cool, I guess
>>
>>1569791
>>1569791
Haven't really looked at this yet, but they probably are after those Caucasian genes. There are those that only care about the English. The rest just date you for the status, think of it of having an exotic accessory, but hey, even if the girl's basically gold digging me in a sort of way, its easy pussy.
>>
>>1569990
Exactly this. Sadly I didn't win the loterry in the eye department so I just have light brown eyes. Everything else though is good
>>
>>1569993
Either:
A) wear colored contacts
B) get color change surgery on your eyes (if you’re light brown you can get blue - it’s the melanin in your ireses that gives them color)
C) not give a fuck, since most Japanese girls don’t care so long as you’re caucasian and handsome

East Asia values looks/physical appearance WAY more than the west. So if you’re good looking you get launched far up the food chain. Whereas in the west, being good-looking isn’t enough, you also gotta be a bad boy to back it up. Looks only get the girl to not ignore you completely when you go up to talk to her in the west, in Asia, it practically wins the entire battle for you, esp since most Asian girls are so reserved, being a bad boy might be too much and actually intimidate them.
>>
>>1570002
But I hear they don't like beards huh? I look better with a beard so I don't really like that but oh well
>>
>>1569750
>I wanna be fluent in Japanese so I can properly integrate into society
>so I can properly integrate into society
they. dont. want. you. to. integrate. period.
learn the language so it will be easier to know when they shit talk you, sure go ahead, but dont expect to integrate, ever
>>
I'm italian and planning on open a pizzeria in japan this summer. AMA
>>
>>1570409
Planning as in dreaming like a child or actually researching laws for foreigners to run businesses in the country
>>
>>1570419
Like a child obviously
>>
>>1569750
This anon >>1570406 is right. Integrating into Japanese society is pretty much impossible. So don't set your expectations too high. But, you sound like you want to learn the language to function in society (make friends, get a job, find a girlfriend), and that's great. Language and communication is about the most important thing we have, so it's essential to learn it if you want to function in Japan properly. Best of luck, anon.
>>
>>1570425
Maybe integration was the wrong word, some people might thinks it means I wanna become Japanese, which isn’t the case. But when you live in a foreign country it can be very hard to do the things you normally take for granted.

>>1570406
Sorry, I’m not fat.
>>
>>1570428
Yeah. You sound like you know what's up. I've worked in a law firm in my own country and seeing foreign clients come in with the simplest problems made me realise that without understanding the language, you're pretty much fucked for anything beyond a holiday. Good luck man.
>>
>>1570428
>Sorry, I’m not fat
Maybe not physically but mentally at least and that's almost as bad.
>>
>>1570442
Who hurt you anon?
>>
Reading this thread makes me sick. So many subhuman EOPs wanting to come here to Japan. I have only one thing to say to you. Fuck off.
>>
>>1570461
First good post in this thread
>>
>>1570461
>>1570464
Stop replying to yourself fag.
>>
>>1570461
If you're Japanese and saying this then fair enough if not, kill yourself. I personally want to stay there for a year at most, so if that's a problem, you're completely retarded
>>
>>1570529
A year is fine. But you have to go back afterwards.
>>
>>1569661
Well, shit. I don't wanna migrate there and it's probably too complicated anyways, I'll stay in my shitty country for now
>>
File: Osaka.jpg (87 KB, 678x452)
87 KB
87 KB JPG
>>1569757
>>1569799
So are people from Osaka more extroverted and laid back compared to Tokyo?

Is it due to life being not so fast in Osaka and tokyo being sick of all the foreigners? Or are there other cultural factors?

Could I get a rundown on Osakan qts? My only exposure is a few Japanese shows. I get the impression Kansai girls seem a bit feistier and blunt compared to Kanto girls, partially due to the accent.

On terrace house the male commentators practically jizz themselves when a girl with a Kansai accent appears.
>>
>>1566215
what the shit
I work a lot, unskilled but always at least 40/hr weeks. I like doing tough seasonal jobs for a few months. I can't see myself starting a family ever, and I don't buy in to the american dream of owning a bunch of shit so a minimalist apartment would be perfect for me. should I move to japan?
what's the cost of living like generally? because in america currently if you don't have a degree and don't want to go into debt forever you can't even support yourself.
>>
>>1570941
Different anon, but you might be in luck. The Japanese government is trying to bring over more unskilled labourers to work in Japan's factories and whatnot. It's long, hard work and the pay isn't great, but it might be what you're looking for. It'd be enough to get you a one-room apartment in Tokyo that can fit a bed, desk and TV. Rent isn't actually too bad in Japan, people just compare it to what they would get in the west ("I want three big bedrooms, a kitchen, a dining room..."). Japanese cities don't work like that, and people scoff at the idea of paying 50,000 yen for a one-room apartment.
>>
>>1570956
neat. i was actually born on yokota air base but don't think i have citizenship or anything.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.