[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/trv/ - Travel

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Maximum file size allowed is 8192 KB.
  • Images greater than 10000x10000 pixels are not allowed.
  • There are 149 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks Make sure to check your spam box!

File: image.jpg (90 KB, 425x536)
90 KB
90 KB JPG
All things TEFL-related go here. Where are you teaching, and how do you like it? Also, daily reminder:

I'm an engineer. I was STEM major in college like any sensible and smart person. I was guaranteed $100,000 staying salary and job security for life. A couple years into it now. Living the dream. Married. Have a house. Gonna have kids soon.

This is really the only acceptable way to live your life. I'm almost in a hiring position and I will make sure to turn away anybody who has taught a English abroad, took a gap year, or otherwise abandoned their standard career path to fuck around. Cant wait honestly.
>>
>I'm an engineer. I was STEM major in college like any sensible and smart person. I was guaranteed $100,000 staying salary and job security for life. A couple years into it now. Living the dream. Married. Have a house. Gonna have kids soon.

Honestly, if this was my life, I would fucking kill myself.
>>
>>1554903
>t. Just got back from 7-11 with a hot dog third night this week
>>
genuine question: what do most ESLers do after they're done teaching in Asia
>>
File: 32512499452_5a3ef2719e_o.jpg (502 KB, 2410x1600)
502 KB
502 KB JPG
>I'm almost in a hiring position and I will make sure to turn away blah blah words

k

if i wanted your shit job, i would have done STEM in college as well. you're not special for doing what millions of people do by joining the corporate rat race. but enjoy your house and kids, i guess.
>>
>>1554932
My plan is to save up, and then start a language academy in my own country. English is not the mother tongue and not many people speak it, but there's high demand. Currently finishing my degree, will go to Asia next year
>>
>>1554932
Long term I would like to learn enough Mandarin to become a translator or interpreter. I know a few languages so I could do a few potentially but Chinese is probably where the big bucks are.

I would also like to get teacher certified and teach in an international school somewhere abroad. I guess I could always be a public school teacher at the bare minimum but ideally I would like to just buy a few properties one day and collect rent.
>>
If I have an MA degree in education and a TEFL certificate, what sort of job can you demand/get in east Asia (e.g. Taiwan, Japan, South Korea)?
>>
>>1554932
Continue teaching in other places
>>
Kinda related but anyone have any experience living in Xi'an? Considering a position there but the air quality looks dreadful
>>
>>1555003
>demand
lel
>>
>>1555019
Wrong wording, I know. I meant whether it's possible to get a job at a college/university if I have 1 or 2 MAs related to English and education.
>>
Anyone here with experience teaching in Laos or Myanmar? How hard is it actually to find a gig in one of these countries? There's very little information available on the internet. All I've been able to gather is that salaries are slightly lower than Thailand or Vietnam and you don't technically need a degree to teach.
>>
>>1555040
Of course its possible. In fact its a requirement in most Asian universities to have a relevant MA. You won't have much competition so I would suggest shopping around a bit and find a school and location that interests you. I've known several American professors in China with bachelors degrees but they were all were part of a program that sets you up with a school to volunteer at with only a living stipend. If you have a masters it goes without saying you can do much better than this.
>>
>>1555256
thanks m8. Would the university jobs be solely about English language or would I be teaching about literature/my MA subjects as well?
>>
>>1555310
I think it varies widely from school to school, but I know the bigger universities all have higher level English and literature courses which sounds like what you should be aiming for. Again, you have some good leverage in this area and can probably land a nice position if you do some searching. Your biggest market is China with the demand for qualified teachers being higher than ever, but I'm sure you could find what you are looking for in Japan, Korea or Taiwan as well.
>>
Anybody have interview tips? Aside from not being autistic? I learned that "Be yourself" is a trap question and just want to hear what they want to hear instead of actually giving them a truthful answer.
>>
>>1555886
Related question. Any autistic teachers out there? What’s your experience been like. I’m looking at China.
>>
>>1554903
Agreed
>>
Anyone here tought kindergarten in Asia before? A director for a failing school convinced me to work there for one day a week to start off but the thought of having cameras on you thr whole time while parents watch is very nerv wracking.
>>
>>1555961
Why the fuck would you pay to watch some else take care of your kids?

Society was a mistake.
>>
>>1555961
Not all kindergartens in Asia have this. Probably all have cameras for safety etc. but only a few have this livestream setup with the parents. If I was offered one of those jobs I'd turn it down no matter how good the pay. Parents are universally entitled assholes and the last thing I want is to have to deal with their kids and THEM all day long. I'd rather neck myself.
>>
>>1556362
Mate I don't even think the top 1% have a plan at this stage. Just make as many shekels as they can until they piss off so many people they get lynched.
>>
>>1554897
Anyone got info on applying in China and Vietnam without a bachelors? Looking more so with Vietnam but China seems better.
>>
>>1556460
This. You can easily go to a Chinese prison if gov officers get wind of it
>>
>>1556460
I do hear horror stories from China but I don't know how overblown it is. The pay is better than Vietnam but don't seem to many complaints with Vietnam compared to China.

Who here worked in China how bad is it really?

>>1556461
So you absolutely need a 4 year degree for a work visa in China?
>>
>>1556466
I haven't been pampered or feel I'm entitled to a work visa for China but I hear conflicting information all the time. Some of it might be negative because people don't want competition and some of it is might legit. It's hard to say. When I first took the plunge into ESL found out lot this and that was just BS. I never been to China, realistically looking more at Vietnam because I know someone there that is working legally without a degree. I know jack shit about China obviously it was just a harmless question.

In China's case might not be worth the risk because of the amount of horror stories that come out of that country in general. I've seen some people without degrees manage to legally get work in ESL in some countries that supposedly require one I just wanted to know the situation with China.

I'm not far away from an associates, so I'd try Taiwan possibly once I get that squared away. I don't know anything about mainland China.
>>
>>1556476
I personally know 2 people working in China without degrees. And they have told me there’s a fuckton. There are crackdowns and raids checking work visas but it’s mostly in Beijing and Shanghai. There’s truth to what these guys are saying but they’re overblowing it for sure. The main thing is that you’re going to have a much shittier job with worse pay and worse hours and you’ll be in a tier 3 city.
>>
>>1556462
>So you absolutely need a 4 year degree for a work visa in China?
A bachelor degree, it can be 3 or 4 years
>>
Should I just give up my weabo dreams and go for Korea?
>>
Teaching English in Vietnam. Getting paid fat stacks to hand out worksheets and correct pronunciation, am completely unqualified.
>>
irish uni graduate (business) considering doing TEFL in China if I don't get the master degree I applied for
>will a bachelor in business and a celta cert be enough requirements?
I'm looking for a cert that offers some teaching experience too, so I can get a taste for it
>>
>>1556505
I thought Vietnam was incredibly strict about qualifications. How did you get the job?
>>
>>1556505
Same but but my TA told me no more worksheets ;_; so have to keep the class talking, it's not hard to do but i am pretty worn out at the end of the day
>>
>>1554932
I just got home and I work casually as a shelf stacker and barely survive in Canada. It was worth it for the glory of Nihon girls and to see that beautiful country though.

It's not like I ever had a career to return to at home, before that I was an autistic property manager who got paid even less than the shelf stacker and before that 8 years of welfare.
>>
>>1555112
Curious about these two countries as well, I've never runned into anyone that worked in either of them.
>>
Going to an ECC hiring session in two days, any last minute advice? I think I'm decently prepared, just have to show that I lack enough shame to do the monkey dance and put out an outgoing enough facade to get through the day
>>
>>1556619
why dont you work in the northern oil sands of canada and get paid a shitload of money?
>>
>>1556505
>Getting paid fat stacks
2k is fat stacks?lol
>>
>>1557181
If you manage to save most of that you are ahead of 70% of Americans.
>>
>>1556505
I heard they are having a hard time getting enough teachers, did that fact help you get a job? You in Hanoi? Thinking of going to the capital to look for work.
>>
>>1557181
>2K
In Vietnam? Seriously?
>>
>>1556458
For Vietnam you need to look at the highlands region first (the area between Hanoi and Da Nang). There are jobs in the big cities that don't require a degree but they've been overrun by South Africans and Filipinos. Language centers will hire you as long as you're white and have a pulse
>>
>>1557913
What sort of prospects are there in the highlands?
>>
>>1557916
As I said, you're just looking at independently-owned language centers (centers that are part of a chain typically look for degrees), but the cities in the highlands region has an even cheaper cost of living than the big cities.

I've known several teachers who didn't have degrees and got along just fine - hell, probably half the teachers at the first center I taught at didn't have degrees or certificates
>>
>>1557887
I'm really not sure what you intended with your post. Do you think that's a lot?

I mean, for Vietnam yeah maybe, but I'd never call it "fat stacks" regardless.
>>
>>1554897
>I'm almost in a hiring position and I will make sure to turn away anybody who has taught a English abroad, took a gap year, or otherwise abandoned their standard career path to fuck around. Cant wait honestly.

Good for you, you cunt. I've got a guaranteed job at a bank making six figures and doing fuckall the moment I decide to stop fucking around, cause I have all the right connections. And that's assuming my personal passion doesn't pick up. Meanwhile, I've gotten a chance to travel wherever I want, and sample women from all over the world the past 8 years, stay jelly fag.

Life's all about knowing the right people.
>>
>>1556458
Get a fake degree. Do it in Japan or SK, then travel to China. DO NOT try this in China. Worst case anywhere else is you're deported. In China, you get fucked tho.
>>
>>1558179
>people are still replying to the copypasta in the OP
>>
>>1556458
Fake degrees don't work. Don't even try.

If you're too fucking stupid to get a 4 year degree in absolutely anything, and face it, you are absolutely are completely fucking stupid, then you're too goddamn retarded to teach anybody.
>>
>>1558237
I'm from America I didn't have the privilege of being born in the EU, getting a degree here is usually a debt trap. I can get an associates easily, but 40k 80k or 100k in debt for a piece of paper? That's retarded.
>>
>>1558179
>being this insecure you have to LARP flex against a copypasta

lmaoing at your life senpai
>>
>>1558287
Buy a fake degree in Mexico.
>>
>>1558296
I considered getting a degree from another country the legit way but I heard some of these employers have a brainmelt if they see you got a degree from a country that isn't your own.
>>
>>1558237
My fake degree has served me well for 6 years fren. Earning same as my legitimate degree counterparts too.
>>
>>1558343
Where’s you get it fren?
>>
>>1558349
The agency I work got it for me (for a fee) after the government was complaining to them. It's just someone elses degree with my name shooped.
>>
>>1558300
Oh, yeah. If you lived in one country your whole life and then got a degree from a foreign one, that might be suspicious. I’ve moved around a lot since I was a kid, so it works out fine for me. Fake degrees are fine, so long as they’re from authentic schools, and you hide your tracks well. People GENERALLY don’t check. It’s totally fine for most jobs, as degrees are just the entry pass, they care a lot more about your personality and experience. For visas, it’s just a standard requirement, Japan is pretty lax, most of Europe doesn’t give a fuck, China and Korea have gotten pretty stingy though, with the latter sometimes asking for apostillles and stuff.

If you live in Europe and have access to free/cheap university, see if you can get one in something easy, like fine arts or whatever, if all you want is the paper. You get 3 years of dicking around and partying with European college girls basically. Otherwise, look into getting a fake I guess.
>>
>>1558287
Haha yeah the system is retarded, not you
>>
>>1558646
Where is a good place to get a fake degree? I heard lot of people go to Mexico to get one.
>>
Anyone know how to teach English in a university in Asia?
>>
>>1558740
get a MA. but these days, everyone and their mom has an MA, so it's becoming necessary to get a PhD.
>>
Is it common for teachers to be paid in cash in Asia?

Are weekly payments possible, or do you have to hold out for the end of the month? I've heard of teachers being denied pay, so I'm concerned the pay for the final month of the contract would be withheld while the one who pocketed it is "so so sorry" and pretends to talk to his manager on the phone. But I've got into the habit of telling Asians that I am going to be around for one or two months more than I have any intention of staying - or that I like their airbnb and would like to return soon and once again not do anything to incur damage claims - just to keep their eyes on an invisible prize.
>>
>>1558735
I have no idea to be perfectly honest. I know my friend found one by just walking around Mexico City though.
>>
>>1558740
a lot of chinese uni's will accept just a BA and tefl. I taught in china for 4 years and taught every age from children to adult professionals but my 6 months of university was by far the least rewarding and hateful thing I did.

>students were completely unmotivated
>they weren't allowed to fail any tests (even minor ones) because it made the university look bad
>assignments were plagiarized not even convincingly or done pathetically (I gave a 200 word essay and someone gave me a crumpled sheet of paper with 3 sentences on it, can't fail them :)
>Chinese men and woman are suddenly aware of sexuality and are incredibly award around each other. Big problem when a big part of oral english is them talking to each other
>Got assigned non-english majors that have english as just a module of their course. Assigned engineering and medical books to teach them despite them struggling to say their name in English
>>
>>1558934
also

>Boss wanted me to stay on campus to make sure I was "safe", despite the fact I lived in china for 3 years already. Accommodation were shitty dorms converted into an apartment and the Uni was ages away from town.
>Staff never once even saw my class or gave me any feedback despite working there full time (apart from telling me I can't fail students)
>Students that didn't attend a single class and only showed up to "pass" the end of term exam
>Tried games,movies, role play, field trips, fucking anything to try and elict some kind of reaction from them. Only ever got very basic replies that I can get from any 13 year old in china.

I had such a bad experience with them. Reflecting now I don't think it was shyness although they are shyer than even high school and I don't think it was malice, I feel it was just disinterest. They knew that my class was just a joke class and didn't feel like the effort was worth it.
Chinese students study so hard to get to college and a lot of them become very relaxed now that they are finally away from their over bearing elders. In a certain way I can't blame them. This is just my experience with chinese university and I have met others who loved teaching that level.
Middle school students I enjoyed the most. High energy, learned fast and enjoyable to be around.
Kindergarten was tiring but a lot of fun.
Teaching Adult was-good because they wanted to be there.It would be difficult to find a full time job doing it though.

I'm not sure about other asian countries but overall wouldn't suggest teaching uni in china.
>>
>>1558941
>>1558934
it's even worse in Japan lol.
Korea can be shitty too, as is Taiwan.
>>
>>1558809
Cash but if you have a bank account they can send to that. They most always pay monthly and blackmail you hy holding one weeks wage. They always pay you ypu early if you are screwed for cash for the month
>>
>>1557188
Saigon is easier than Hanoi for work.
>>
What decent paying jobs abroad can one bullshit their way into by being a white native English speaker who looks the part besides ESL?
>>
>>1559247
Not many legal options, white monkey jobs are lot more common than people think. Some companies hire white people to "act" like they are doing something within the company to appear more international. Though legally if you have any experience as a chef there's that to, I know another white guy in Taiwan that got signed onto a decent restaurant here. Hospitality jobs in general like working at some hostel might take you in if your white and speak native English lot of hotels/hostels love having English speakers. Options are limited for you but ESL is the easiest to get a job in most non English speaking countries.
>>
>>1559176
What's Saigon like? I haven't been to Vietnam yet closest I got was Cambodia.
>>
So I come back home, and I am a shelf stacker and mids 30s. I can save because I am from a rich country, but I'll never see that authentic Japanese pussy again. The asians here are like the locals. FAT.
>>
How do I work at a hostel in Asia, after English teach this was most next common for gaijin. Really hilarious Aussie in Okinawa that has spent his adult life chasing J girls.
>>
>>1556713
It's the hardest bit even as an ALT it was so tough. GANBATTE!
>>
>>1559405
Why did you come back home?
>>
>>1559405
>but I'll never see that authentic Japanese pussy again

you've never seen it in the first place, lol
>>
File: 1497837403315.png (66 KB, 1000x1000)
66 KB
66 KB PNG
Which one of these look better to you?

>3 year bachelors in furniture manufacturing and then fucking off to do tefl as a career

>spend potentially 6 years becoming a fully registered science/chemistry teacher and then fucking off to do esl as a career.

Is it worth spending the extra 3 years becoming a registered teacher so I can get my country's teaching license or would I be better off getting 3 years experience actually teaching esl.
>>
Anyone else in China noticing more and more job ads for non-native speakers despite the government getting stricter with work visa requirements? What's going on here? I'm noticing even public schools are looking for non-native speakers in these WeChat groups I'm in.
>>
>>1558941
I'm at a high school like that right now. The school doesn't really give a fuck what I do as long as I don't cause any problems so it's mostly movies and taking them outside now that the weather is warm. Trying to teach them anything is a complete waste of time.
>>
>>1559405
>le go back home meme
>>
>>1559541
Spend 4 years getting a degree in Chemistry and teach in Shanghai or something. You don't need a teaching license dude.
>>
>>1560043
Because Chinks are fucking jews, they will hire anyone for pennies.
I've seen Phillipinos teaching shitty Ingrish along with Chinks teaching Ingris with terrible grammar.
The parents don't know any better.
>>
>>1560063
I get that but the government doesn't fuck around with wrong/fake visas.
>>
>>1560047
How come you need any teaching qualifications for in china? I get only having a tefl/celta to teach english but for a science seems a bit fucky no?
>>
Job told me if i took one more day off work i'm fired. Ever since I moved here I can't sleep. I've tried so many different things but nothing works. There is something about licing abroad that keeps me up at night but can't fugure out what it is.
>>
>>1560230
?
the fuck are you on about dude
>>
>>1560230
What country?
>>
>>1560634
Canada.
>>
>>1560634
>>1560635
Vietnam
>>
>>1560230
I mean exercise and take melatonin Or NyQuil.
>>
If I am confident, 6'2, white, from Australia, and don't look like a goober, how easy is it for me to get a job in HCMC Vietnam with no degree and no qualifications

I have 40k USD in my bank account so cash flow isn't an issue

I'm willing to buy a fake degree
>>
So teaching universities in Asia is basically crap, that's what I'm getting.
>>
>>1560661
If you're dumb enough to buy a fake degree, you're too dumb to even be an English teacher.

Maybe try teaching in Thailand. Show them how to really take a cock up the ass.
>>
>>1560661
Easy , do a tefl course online or in vietnam that will get you a certificate. You dont need to a degree but if you want you just shoop one or your company will shoop it for you. 40k aud is shitloads to get you setup ,even 10k is almost too much.
>>
File: gvo1DG6.jpg (62 KB, 550x666)
62 KB
62 KB JPG
>>1560661
if you're white, you don't need a degree mate, especially if you're from the us/uk/aus. you can try and land a job online, or go there and interview with them while staying in HCMC. you'll have a job within days if you approach a couple of schools.
some will pay for your tefl or arrange a fake degree in one way or another if you play your cards right. just put your picture in your cv and talk to them on fb. good luck mate.
>>
>>1560661
What do looks and height have to do with teaching? I've seen some ugly fucks and general short people get teaching jobs, look at Tkyosam for example.
>>
I’m currently in SEA and going to go try to get a job in HCMC. Would it be a good idea to volunteer at a school through Helpx or Workaway while I’m looking for work? Or can I likely find a paying gig immediately?
>>
>>1561171

Because the expats I met here gave me the impression that schools hire based on whiteness, appearance, and nationality. I am unqualified for the job, so I'd be relying on my appearance and nationality.
>>
>>1561461
You will find some work but remember the school year is over in two and a half months so you will probably only get part time work for now. Still more than enough to get by.
>>
File: 00005552.jpg (149 KB, 1920x836)
149 KB
149 KB JPG
>>1561490
It's more racist idea of the west than just appearance alone, sure a black guy wanting to teach English is going to have a harder time but you don't need to be a model to get a job if your white. I'd say it's 40% teaching, 60% "face" just having a white foreigner teaching helps with a school's face. With appearance it's the color of your skin, if you clean up well and don't smell like a basement dweller than you are good to go which isn't hard.

For some countries you don't need a degree especially Vietnam being white and fluent in English is enough, I'm not sure if you can get away with a fake degree I know some people back home that have fake degrees that got jobs because of it. Maybe some SEA countries it be easy but I wouldn't try till you talk to someone that has proof they've done it and hear their story.
>>
>accepted into a Myanmar teaching program with travelbud
>pays $1000 per month for 6 months, but I have to pay for my own living expenses
>the plane ticket, enrollment fee, program fee, orientation, TEFL course, etc costs ~$5000 all together

Am I making some sort of mistake in calculating costs? Why the fuck will it be so difficult to break even on this trip? Plus, I’m not exactly liquid right now, so the upfront expenses will be nearly impossible to pay.
Tips on making real money in my situation?
>>
>>1561982
Sounds kinda cool, how many hours though?
>>
>>1561982
Don't go through some ripoff program you idiot
>>
File: fresh.jpg (208 KB, 1242x978)
208 KB
208 KB JPG
What are some good resources for IELTS and PTE?
>fuck 'em

I've realised after teaching for eight months here in Australia that not a single students give a fuck about learning English.
>Even less so trying to be socialble

They just want high scores to get in to universities or pass shitizenship tests. Then once they do, they just jettison all their info and go back to their enclaves.
>So I've give them an 'intensive' course that's just cramming for standardised tests

So fuck it, my BA in TESOL was a waste of fucking time.
>What a dumb arse I was, actually thinking they wanted to learn...

Where can I get resources I can just rip, modify a little, then sell back to them for three times what I was charging
>again, stupid I thought I was helping migrants and students, fucking 80% of the cunts are loaded and the rest are just too dumb to even live here
>>
>>1562591
I can attest to this, IELTS/TOEFL/TOEIC is what most people care about.

I wish I could find sources for this too, but I don't really know of any.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1552836569881.jpg (32 KB, 720x540)
32 KB
32 KB JPG
Any JETfags in the house?

The interview results get released here within the next 2 weeks (britbong). I did a solid job in the application, but I'm trying not to get ahead of myself - I've got other plans if I don't make it.
>>
What other companies offer TEFL in Japan? I'm currently looking into Interac, AEON and NOVA. Are there any others that anons have used/can recommend. I don't care about being in Tokyo, but I'd like to be near a big enough city like Sendai or Fukuoka at least rather than bumfuck nowhere.
>>
>>1563006
I didn't even get a JET interview. I'm pretty bitter and jaded, and I wonder if not having a TESL cert hurt my application (since it's all I really *could* have done)

I hope you get in, get sent to bumfuck Hokaido inaka with 30 hour travel to Sapporo and have an absolutely miserable experience.
>>
Why isn't esl teaching a more popular career choice? I thought "wanderlust" normies would be all over this shit
>>
>>1563048
Don’t do Eikawa, it’s shit.

Do ALT through an ALT company. Borderlink is a good way in.

>>1563182
People don’t like to leave their comfort zone, and it’s got a massive glass ceiling in terms for career growth.
>>
>>1563175
Thanks anon. On the interview day, I got grouped up with a 40 year old weeb who couldn't even knot a tie correctly, so I don't know what kind of metric JET uses to accept people.
>>
What are the easiest teaching jobs in Vietnam?

Talking no effort, just show up and read a few things out of a book and get paid type jobs. The training schools are all sweatshops that want you to be a literal dancing monkey or you’re fired, but I’ve worked at public schools before that told me I had to be “active” and “funny.” WTF? They’re not even for profit.

Also, there was a guy on here from a few threads back that said he a sweet cushy gig in rural China just playing videos to high school students. Are you still around? How did you land that gig, which site did you apply on?
>>
Is there anyway into tefl if i'm a 18 yo highschool/secondary school graduate? If not what's the quickest way into it? A 3 year bachelors i'm presuming
>>
>>1563182
you realize that "wanderlust" for normies is going on a guided tour to Rome or some shit
>>
>>1563233
I gave my students handouts to do for ome lessom and the teacher complained to my english centre. Ended up giving me a huge lecture about being funny and always high fiving the students but I just dont have that energy, instead I just banter with the students. Lately half my lesson is me and the students accusing each other of being gay, they think it's funny.
>>
>>1563245

Kek. Let me guess, public school? I hope you’re prepared to lose your job soon. The same thing happened to me before. These jealous dink teachers should shut their fucking mouths. They’re not active or funny in the slightest, why do foreigners have to be? Fucking double standard racist fucks
>>
>>1563175
There's plenty of ways to live in Japan beyond that toxic shitshow of a programme.

I'm glad a retard weeb like you didn't get in, there's plenty of filth like you already.
>>
>>1563197
Nit him but borderlink is like 200,000 yen as a base salary. Can you even survive with just that?
>>
>>1563197
Yeah. I think I'll just focus on ALT positions like Interac and Altia. The eikaiwa hours seem like complete ass to me.

>Borderlink
I hadn't heard of that one. I'll add them to my list of companies to look into.
>>
>>1562873
>IELTS/TOEFL/TOEIC is what most people care about
Yep, it's a scam. But if it gets them what they want, is it really a problem?
>>
>>1563006
I did JET for 2 years. Most JET participants are insufferable and those parties they throw are obnoxious. It's full of weebs and people who think the louder they talk, the more people will care about them. Mix in alcohol and you get the worst kinds of people.

It's great for traveling though. Visiting SEA was easy and coupling your nenkyu with public holidays means nice 2 week vacations
>>
>>1563237
i've heard of people getting hired with only a high school diploma in southeast asia. you'll want to get a tefl though. not sure if you'll be able to legally get a worker visa, but the company you work for might bribe some people to get you one.
>>
>>1563567
Interac barely pays you enough to live, is the problem there. JET pays the best, but if you miss JET and want to save *any* money, you're kind of forced to go Eikaiwa
>>
File: SUMMON BOB.jpg (552 KB, 1200x1200)
552 KB
552 KB JPG
Ayy, I got onto JET. The email came in today, now i'm preparing for the 95% chance that I get thrown into the Hokkaido inaka or placed next to a military base in Okinawa
>>
>>1563923
I’M FUCKING SHITTING BLOOD IN MY INBOX OVER HERE AAAAAAAAA
>>
>>1563924
Results are expected to be released up until April 9th, hopefully they don't make you wait too long.
>>
>>1563675
>Most JET participants are insufferable

Jesus christ this. In my prefecture alone we've had rapes, assaults, cheating with JTEs, sleeping with students, and drug dealing. Amazes me how some of these cunts got into the programme at all. The PTA of one school here is trying to get rid of their school's ALT, I'm not sure why but I think it's because this guy is a really socially anxious MASSIVE weeaboo, and speaks like he toots several nose-beers for breakfast every day.

Most expats in general are scum honestly. Like totally amoral pieces of shit that would have no friends in their home countries due to their behaviour but get away with it here in Japan because the culture here is to ignore any and all faults.
>>
Anyone gone through Interact (or other ALT companies)? Do they just offer you one take-it-or-leave-it location? I understand that you can put in preferences, at least for Interac, but if they can't put you where you want, do you just have to accept wherever they offer? Or can I say "Well you couldn't get me into Tokyo, but rather than out in the inaka, is there a place near Osaka?", for example?
>>
>>1564355
I think (I'm not entirely sure) that it depends on how good you qualify yourself at your interview. If you nail it and they really want to hire you, they'll be very willing to work with your preferences (if you're flexible with when you leave, you can get put on a very long wait list for that location). I think if your interview is mediocre then it'll be more likely to be "take-it-or-leave-it."

Caveat: I have yet to interview for an ALT company yet, but it does seem to be this way for the eikaiwas, and the people I talked to at the eikaiwa interviews implied it was the same.
>>
File: ul08ajhxk4n21.jpg (150 KB, 576x768)
150 KB
150 KB JPG
>>1554897
Why do people do this JET, TEFL, Chinese school teacher shit? Sometimes it sounds so horrible like wtf just get a proper job
>>
>>1562240
Then how do I find a job there with no teaching experience or connections?
>>
Well, rejected from ECC now too. The interviewer said that although my lesson was good, the fact that I was a little cold and aloof at the beginning and not immediately warm and friendly is what sealed my fate.

Probably going to apply to what I consider the b-tier now, AEON and Interac, unless someone here has a compelling reason not to? I know Interac is a shit company that doesn't even pay health insurance...

Oh, and is Nova even worth applying to?
>>
File: 1451446117816.jpg (23 KB, 500x375)
23 KB
23 KB JPG
>>1564032
Man, that sounds horrible. What small advice would you give to an upcoming JETfag who wants to break the stereotype? Is it too much to try and set up an after-school English class? I'd like to be more useful than a walking tape recorder when I arrive.
>>
>>1563923
>>1563924
>>1563926
I’M FUCKING IN
I swear to god my blood pressure was liquefied concrete until I got that email, but thank God the wait is over.
I’ll see you at orientation, anon.
>>
>>1564622
Nice job, see you there. What embassy btw?
>>
>>1564505
no other job gives the freedom that this does.
>>
I know Interac do April/August placements, and some other companies even hire every month. But does JET only do August placements? I'm graduating in November and I'd like to move over as soon as possible after that.
>>
>>1564670
They have early departure spots who leave in April
>>
File: 1552262569850.png (656 KB, 877x887)
656 KB
656 KB PNG
>>1564526
Literally apply to anything on daves esl cafe. Free flights are standard for somewhere like korea
>>
>>1564032
>JET
what program do i do to avoid these fags but still make some money? or is there one
>>
>>1564645
>no other job

A job that involves any form of travel from security for tech companies to journalism, banking, working for an agency, being a bussiness man, business assistant , the list goes on. I can never take peeople who say they're going to a bumfuck place in SEA to teach english seriously , the job itself has literally no security
>>
>>1564920
You’re pretty out of touch with the reality of these dude’s lives man.
>>
Any AEON teacher around?
>>
>>1564950
What dudes?
>>
>>1564920
Why would you say the job has no security? There is high demand for English teachers in several countries.
>>
>>1564920
You’re so pretentious and insecure it’s actually pretty funny.
>>
Reee why is every esl teacher here an 8/10 or higher rich american. I'm the only 5/10 middle class foreigner in the whole country
>>
>>1554897
I'm happy you got the bait out of the way in the OP but given the average intelligence of English teachers out here I'm not surprised people still fall for it

>>1554932
Foreign Service

>>1555112
My impression was that there were relatively few job opportunities in these countries, that many English teachers are volunteers, and that the pay is low. You could probably make bank as a private tutor for the children of the elite but you'd need credentials. Didn't teach there though or pursue a job particularly hard so take this with a grain of salt.

>>1556505
Same same and it owns. Kinda qualified tho

>>1556572
lol

>>1559366
It's not Bangkok. Things are generally less obvious, particularly the food, and you have to do some exploring to find your chill spots to get away from the insane traffic and the heat. However, once you know where to go, and have a handle on your day-to-day, it's a great city to live.

>>1560646
Exercise and find another job, fuck them. You're sick.

>>1561490
It's extremely easy. Just post your face on the teaching facebook group and you're set

>>1561982
Those upfront costs are absurd. Provide an itemized breakdown so we can see where you're getting ripped off. My TEFL cost $40.

>>1563245
If your TA complains you're doing something wrong. Buy her some Chocolate Marou or something. If another teacher complains then it's because your students were incorrigible little shits and their mommas should have raised them better. HTH.

Anyway for content, who has some board diagrams for speaking exercises? Like sentence and answer formats or something. I have 8th graders tomorrow at the crack of dawn and they're fucking awful. At least there's an air conditioner.
>>
>>1565534
I'm 1563245
Thanks I will try the chocolate at the end of the school year in two months. I do a lot of q & a plus some skits but the TA insists of every 40 minute class to have a song , activity , handout and skit. It's easy to come up with these but fitting them into 40 minutes is dumb. What country are you in , and what do you mean by foreign service ?
>>
>>1565572
I'm in HCMC. If your TA is complaining you should probably do something about it now. How old are your kids? You could use like Baby Shark or Head, Shoulders, Knees, and Toes or some shit as a song warmer, but why they're having a native teacher do a handout, I have no idea.
>>
http://jetprogramme.org/wp-content/MAIN-PAGE/intro/participating/2018_jetstats_e.pdf
JET released their annual placement figures
>Hokkaido the most common placement after Tokyo
I guess the memes are true about them chucking ALTs into the inaka without remorse
>>
>>1565676
I thought JET rarely sends people to Tokyo? Or is it just that literally everyone who applies wants to go there, so many people get it, but lots miss out?
>>
>>1564610
You can try the after-school class. Your JTE may even encourage it. If it doesn't work, find something you enjoy or would like to go into. Chances are your school has sports you can help with (I went to ping pong club every now and then to shoot the shit with kids in Japanese since I was told to keep it English only during school hours). I know some people who danced, played instruments, and did what was local as a way to embrace their surroundings. A lot of JETs will think they are changing the world by teaching English and have to do it their way, but unless you're at elementary school, you're sticking to what the system wants

Best advice is just enjoy the ride without being obnoxious
>>
>>1565683
After the 2020 Olympics got announced, placement in Tokyo went from 2 to 200. And the 2 weren't even in the city. They were on islands hours away that were technically considered Tokyo. I wonder what will happen to the jobs once the Olympics are over
>>
>>1565694
There might be a mass exodus after the Olympics, but who knows. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the education board gets a monetary bonus by the government for hiring an ALT, plus they're responsible for transportation costs (I.e. flights) - so they might as well keep the current workers on.
>>
>>1565758
>There might be a mass exodus after the Olympics
Hopefully you ameriniggers all go back home.
>>
>>1565357
Lol what, i'm saying my opinon, if i touched a nerve then hide my post you retard

>>1565290
TEFL teaching is only accepted in certain parts of the world. You wouldnt go to an educational board in the West and be given a job with JET/TEFL on your CV. It seems like you're only allowed to teach in tiny kindergarten schools or through a private sector, how are you supposed to get better pay or benefits when everything about the job is so restricted, they seem to let any tom dick and harry on these things.
I just dont get the appeal and it seems to only be a short term thing for people who're constabtly moving from one place to the other
>>
>>1565290
I just cant imagine someone doing JET or tefl for an extended ammount of time, it sounds silly to do so
>>
File: 1519503734005.png (423 KB, 808x805)
423 KB
423 KB PNG
>ctrl + f
>Vietnam
SERIOUSLY CAN YOU SHIT DRUNK FUCKERS JUST LEAVE THIS OVERSATURATED COUNTRY FOR FOREIGNERS TO TEACH ENGLISH? Please DON'T COME HERE!!!! You'll make better money in China I promise you.
>>
>>1565864
>it seems to only be a short term thing

Anon you really don't know what you're talking about. There are people out there who live their entire lives off TEFL, it's not THAT uncommon.
>>
>>1565841
Sorry, i'm a teafag
>>
I’m going to Vietnam from China. Tell me it isn’t a mistake. How hard will be to get a job in HCMC now?

I’ve been to Nam a few years ago and the country just ended up annoying me, with the constant scams and shortchanging, greedy locals. It’s not as convenient as China, but China is getting too risky for those of us who refuse to jump through all those needless hoops to get a work visa.

Am I understanding correctly that the supply of teachers now outweighs the demand in Vietnam with all the South Africans and smelly backpacking losers that teach English for a few weeks and then disappear? Are Viet schools getting cocky and picky as well?
>>
>>1554898
>>
File: 1543720629124.jpg (37 KB, 847x466)
37 KB
37 KB JPG
>>1565891
>There are people out there who live their entire lives off TEFL

Wtf, how
>>
>>1554897
>thought blacks being lazy was a meme
>individually they're just like anyone else
>when in groups it starts becoming a dick-waving contest
>"I'm pretty much 30 minutes late every day"
>"yeah, well I don't even show up if I don't feel like it!"
>literally trying to one-up each other over who's lazier
>also complaining about having to work at all
>one girl literally told her office at the beginning that "overtime was against her culture"
>>
>>1565864
>if i touched a nerve then hide my post you retard
you should probably take your own advice
>>
>>1565909
It's a mistake and it's absolutely disgustingly oversaturated with scum and impossible to find a full time job, and plus you won't enjoy your time here. The pollution is worse than China.
>>
>>1566103
Why would I take my own advice when none of my nerves were struck?
>>
I fucked around for a bit when I was young. Should I list all the colleges I attended even though I only earned a degree on one of them? The gaps would really be noticeable if I didn't include them in my resume.
>>
>>1562239
"20-25 per week"
Plus it's common for teachers to pick up a side hustle
>>
Has anyone ever gotten a permanency at a school and moved to the country without marrying someone?
>>
any recommended TEFL online courses and which ones to avoid like the plague?
>>
>>1564505
the teachers who are happy don't post here. i for one enjoy my job, and i never post (save for this one).
also, what the fuck is a "proper job"? a job is a job, if it pays and it gives you satisfaction, then it's good. get off your high horse you pompous prick.
>>
>>1567188
>what the fuck is a "proper job"? a job is a job, if it pays and it gives you satisfaction, then it's good

You're right there, I guess i just have a negative view on the whole tefl thing, a lot of people who seem to do it seem like asshats or annoying disrespectful fucks but that's probably the minority.

I still think there's little job security, i mean what would you do afterwards? Just seems dumb to work the same tefl job for years on end
>>
I remember about 6 months ago somebody was giving me actual good advice about teaching and recommended me an app to sort teaching materials. Is that anon still there? Also are there any actual good teachers ITT who want to share tips?
>>
>>1567464
This. All the tips I find online you either need to pay for , or they aren't really helpful
>elaborate games that take a lot of time and don't have a lot of english
>activities that assume you have a class not full of little shits + a useful TA
I sometimes chill with other teachers on lunch breaks but they start acting atrange when you ask for tips or advice like they think you are going to sell their ideas.
>>
>>1567286
you can progress onto a ma tesol or phd tesol and begin teaching in universitys.There's also international school work
>>
>>1567490
That's pretty good
>>
Hey all, prospective English teacher here. I'm interested in taking up French as a second language and I'm wondering if any of you have any experience or info on teaching abroad in either France or Quebec in Canada? Is there a need for English teachers in either country? How's the pay? Worth it?
>>
>>1567464
Who gives a shit about being a good teacher. Lolol wtf??

The shitty system has zero room for advancement, so why wouldn't you just fucking put in the bare minimum amount of work to not get fired (this exact amount will of course depend on your risk tolerance).

But good luck with your quest to perfect the alphabet song and wheels on the bus, you really are setting your sights high.
>>
Why do the worst classes have the worst TAs and the classes that don't need TAs have the best ones? Am I confusing correlation with causation here? My TA sat in the back today, didn't do anything to shut up the kids, and only after I had to yell at one in Vietnamese did he get up and kick 4 random kids out of the class. Next class he sat in the back and had a girl give him a head massage lol
>>
>>1568479
I love bad TA stories, i have one TA for all the terrible classes. I'm trying to teach them and he is oeganising arm wrestling competitions between the students and getting the girls to pick out his grey hairs. I've accepted it now and i just do the same shit as him.
>>
Is this list of ALT companies accurate? Any anons that can verify?

JET
>Good pay
>Housing, insurance, etc. benefits
>Compulsory cultural events
>Almost guaranteed rural placement
>Competitive and lengthy application process

Interac
>Low pay, but it's on time
>No real benefits, but they help you get started
>Rural and urban placement possible, but more likely rural

Altia
>Reasonable pay
>Better than average management
>Limited locations, some in cities but most are rural

Borderlink
>Really low pay
>Poor management
>More than average urban placements

JoyTalk, Heart, etc
>Low pay, if you even get paid
>No benefits
>Penalties for missing training or arriving late
>Questionable practises and visa process
>Placements all over the place, seems to be 50/50 rural and urban
>>
File: 4ITWfdi.gif (2.78 MB, 386x232)
2.78 MB
2.78 MB GIF
>>1567620
Because some people give a fuck. Surprisingly enough, you might even get REWARDED for making an effort if you work for a half-decent center.
As an example, my boss for one of the small companies I work for organised a meal for all the staff for the last day of school before Tet holiday, and I was the only foreign teacher invited (the others are like you, bare minimum, don't even prepare). She also gives me bonuses to my salary every month without me asking. The other staff are always saying how good my teaching is and that the students like me, which intrinsically motivates me as well and generally makes the whole experience a lot better. This is for a company that I work for 2 hours per week btw.

You'll also be more likely to get new hours and better gigs and not get fired. Sometimes I put in the lowest possible effort if it's like a cover class where the students are all shit or something and you'll never see them again, but for a regular job you will have a better time if you respect your job.

>>1567480
Have you looked for "teacher's books" of the courses you are teaching?

>>1568677
>>1568479
>not dominating and controlling your TAs
in the classroom you need to act like the boss or you won't be treated like the boss. Most TAs are really stupid and young but you gotta admit they get paid fuck all so it's not surprising so gotta give 'em a break sometimes.
>>
>>1568696
The 2020 Olympics have mixed up placements massively - JET, for instance, now has over 200 ALTs working in Tokyo, there's really no guarantee on where you'll end up.
>>
>>1568791
*440 working in Tokyo (will likely increase again with this year's intake)
http://jetprogramme.org/wp-content/MAIN-PAGE/intro/participating/2018_jetstats_e.pdf
>>
I signed a contract for an August start in Shenyang, China. It's a kindergarten. Are the majority of TEFL jobs Dancing White Monkey type roles? I doubt I'll have the energy to do for it much more than one contract.
>>
>>1568696
At this point I'll either go to AEON or borderlink. How is borderlink if any anons here can shed some light? I've only seen horror stories on various sites and the pay is really low.
>>
>>1569180
I'm currently at the research stage myself, so I have no experience. But >>1563197 said it was a good way to get over there.
>only seen horror stories
I think this is true for everything. Except maybe Altia and JET, but even then you get some people complaining. I think it all comes down to just being reasonable with what's happening. Read your contract, don't be an idiot that goes over without a visa, don't try to make things difficult, and it'll be alright. These companies do pay really low and often don't cover benefits, but you have to remember that not only is the work itself rather easy and they don't require any experience or anything, they are also providing you with a visa from overseas - which is your key to better employment in Japan. Just understand that it's basically a transaction in which they give you a visa and you do some menial work for low pay, and you won't get burned too badly.
>>
File: lEv7LFS.jpg (36 KB, 400x400)
36 KB
36 KB JPG
Have tomorrow off work because I dont have a visa and the government is inspecting the school
>>
>>1569005
All of them dealing with kids pretty much are. Hell, I've even heard of slant high school and college students complain that a teacher wasn't active enough or too boring. And if you're not dancing monkey enough, you'll be fired :).

Since you're in Shenyang you might have a higher chance of keeping your job, but then again there are probably tons of Eastern Europeans and Africans there by now that can replace you.
>>
>>1568736

Oooh, wow. We're so impressed you get to eat shitty cheap dink food and get an extra $5 dollars a month if you've been a good little white monkey. Here monkey, want a banana?
>>
File: 1545421270785.jpg (96 KB, 912x905)
96 KB
96 KB JPG
>>1569266
>>
>>1569184
I'll be applying to both then. The problem is that I am a non-native English speaker so my options are limited. Good luck to you anon.
>>
Where to teach as a non-native? Also, have any of you mofos thought in any exotic kinda places, like Cambodia or Latin America?
>>
>>1569468
>Latin America
>exotic
i swear to god all whiteys are fucking dumb
>>
>>1569468
Same question, thinking about teaching spanish in China.

I live in Colombia, english teachers get paid peanuts, like 2-2.5M pesos (some 800USD), more than enough to live like a westerner in most of the country, but if you want to make bank you're fucked.
>>
File: 1546670649414.jpg (55 KB, 866x866)
55 KB
55 KB JPG
How plausible is it to teach ESL in Spain as an american? I've been studying on exchange here and I would really love to come back after I graduate for a few years and perfect my spanish.
Anyone with experience teaching Spain/anywhere that isn't asia?
>>
Who here teaches in China? Tryna get to Kunming and have some questions. Is it totally idiotic to sign a contract before even seeing the city?
>>
>>1569272
Yeah I’ve heard that the Chinese are jumping over each other to enroll their children in school taught by Africans
>>
>>1565676
hokkaido is pretty sick lad
>>
>>1554932
eh I'll probably join the military
>>
>>1569845
same
>>
>>1568736
>2 hours a week
>bonus

Congrats on getting an extra 2000 yen a week, monkey
>>
>>1569920
I have heard or some cool bonuses, one colombian guy at the english centre i work at is their posterboy. He constantly gets free holidays and flowers and extra cash but he does woek for 11usd an hour so its also pretty shit
>>
Can you go to class and teach while obviously under the influence? If so, I’m moving now
>>
Can you actually teach tefl with a fake high school diploma? Im talking about in countries that don't require a BA
>>
What's so bad about hokkaido?
>>
>>1569945
>>1569960
If you don't mind forfeiting your passport and becoming a teaching slave for Chinese cram schools, sure.
>>
>>1569991
idgi, cold texas sounds like the definition of peak-comfy to me
>>
How do I not sound like a total weeb when writing an essay on "why I want to live and work in Japan"?
>>
>>1570587
What company are you applying for?
>>
Anybody work for Apollo in Vietnam?

Are they your standard run of the mill dancing monkey company? Can I get paid just for showing up and half-assing it?
>>
>>1570603
AEON
>>
>>1570617
Nigga, that essay is pre-hiring session, and literally *everyone* who meets their credentials makes it to a hiring session, which is where the actual decision takes place. Just write some bullshit that isn't obviously mentally I'll or too weeby, and you'll be fine. You're definitely overthinking this.
>>
>>1554897
How do you decide which country is best to teach in? I have no idea if I want to teach in China, Japan, SK or Taiwan
>>
>>1570836
Ok thanks anon. Hope I do get accepted.
>>
>>1558049
I mean at the end of the day he's probably saving a good portion of his check which is a lot more than most people in the US get to do and he can come back with stacks of savings
>>
>>1554897
I'm a non-native, but I'm about to get a CELTA, and I'm graduate in English. I also have 12 years of english education. Do I have any chances to teach English in Japan? what about the rest of Asia?
>>
>>1569818
Don't teach there, but I've been there and the food is good and there's a sick lake in the middle with a beautiful park. The buildings all look the same though from what I remember, and the people were friendly too.
>>1570989
whichever one you would like to live in. Do your research on each country and what the work is like there.
>>
what's the future of tefl like? Will this still be a thing come a decade talking mostly about asia here.
>>
>>1564610
A big thing honestly is learning to live in Japan comfortably outside the ALT bubble. This might not be possible if you're in the inaka, unfortunately. For the longest time here I kept up with all the gossip and it just made me miserable; just cut shitty, retarded people out of your life, which will be about half of the gaijin you meet here once you get to know them. Know that you're never gonna change the shitshow that is the Japanese education system so the less you worry about it the better. Also never ask permission to do anything in Japan, just do what you want. 9/10 times it will be fine and if not just apologise for it later.
>>
>>1560184
You just need to have a degree in a related subject. You don't need an actual teaching license.
>>
>>1571973
people were asking the same thing a decade ago lmao
>>
>>1570989
>China
Shit country but assuming you work at a public school you can get paid by far the most money with the most time off. Depending on the school you can half-ass everything and show movies.

>Japan
White monkey, won't save shit.

>SK
White monkey, you get a free apartment so you'll save a bit more. Girls there are hot and the partying is great there.

>Taiwan
White monkey, shit salary.
>>
>>1554932
I taught ESL for 4 years and now have a decent corporate job back home. STEM degree.

Honestly the ESL life was more fun... but I wouldn't go back.
>>
>>1572329
I'm about to hit that mark with a STEM degree. I refuse to go back home, though, so I think I'll start teaching CS instead of ESL.
>>
I’m in Vietnam and I have a girl asking me to chat with her on Facebook and correct her English for one hour per day and she’ll pay me. How much do you think is fair for this kind of thing?
>>
>>1571973

AI will replace dancing monkeys
>>
>>1572893
There’s no way some kind of interactive Dora the explorer type of program on a big screen wouldn’t be a better teacher than any of people here.
>>
>>1572840

600k dong
>>
File: 1535640895823.gif (78 KB, 1000x1000)
78 KB
78 KB GIF
>>1554897
i posted in the japan general today but long story short I quit my job today, been living in tokyo for 3+ years doing teaching among other things. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask, I'd be glad to steer anyone interested into the right direction
>>
>>1572329
Why not?
>>
>>1573067
I'm 31 now man and ESL has no long-term prospects. You're doing the same job forever with no real pay rises or career advancement. I'm nostalgic for my ESL days but it's a new chapter in my life now.
>>
>>1573052
How seriously did you take your job?

What company did you work for?

What was your biggest regret about your whole TEFL experience?
>>
>>1573145
>How seriously did you take your job?
Not ultra serious as i took leniencies with all the jobs but just serious enough when needed

>company
Mostly just random eikaiwa's and also private teaching. I avoided the big dispatch companies

>regret
None really, it's been an amazing few years of my life. At times i wish i was there for my family of course but it's not really a major regret
>>
>>1573052
What was your standard of living like? You mentioned that you worked at eikawas, so I assume your pay was 230,000-280,000ish a month? I've heard rent in Tokyo can be expensive, so I guess that chewed up a lot of your funds. Did you still have enough to go out with friends, eat out occasionally, buy things you wanted, etc.?
>>
>>1573417
My standard of living was very good imo. Not something that you could start a family with i dont think however.

Rent can be expensive, especially if you go thru a foreigner friendly real estate agent (they charge premiums). Now the apartment I'm currently living in (contract ends next month) is about 10min from shinjuku or takadanobaba so relatively close to busy urban centers. My rent is ¥65k per month for 2ldk with maybe 35sqm? With utilities and wifi etc it's close to maybe ¥72k ish per month. I got paid 265k at my old job but i still supplement my income with private tutoring which means every month i had almost 190-200k i could use. I had some reckless spending habits before but i was able to adjust to the point where i can comfortably buy nice clothes, go out, etc and still save anywhere between 80k - 120k per month

It's doable but it's difficult in the beginning. The apartment "start up" costs are ridiculous as you have to pay key money, cleaning, insurance, 1 month rent etc. I think my apartment i had to pay initially up to 200k just to get myself into the apartment
>>
>>1573425
Yeah, I've heard about those startup costs. I'm thinking of heading over next year, so I'm saving as much as I can right now to cover flights, moving in, and buying anything else I need once I get there. Still, a 2ldk for 65k/month that close to the city sounds pretty good. Did you get help from your employer to find a place? Or did you use another service like apartments listed on GaijinPot?

The private tutoring sounds like a neat idea to make a little extra cash. Eikawas are evenings and Saturdays, right? Did you fit the tutoring in during the mornings and on Sundays?
>>
>>1573428
Avoid gaijinpot for apartments! They charge crazy prices for the same apartments they advertise on japanese sites for often a 1/4 of the offered price on gaijinpot.

I found my apartment from suumo. The website has no english version as far as i can remember so you have to brush up a little bit with your japanese. A lot of agents or landlords don't trust foreigners as tenants so I was denied houses from 4 different agencies even after in person interviews (all from suumo) with the main reason being cited as my nationality. Now i did get lucky with one particular agency for my current apartment as the owners cousin had a canadian wife (im a canadian btw) so he immediately trusted me. Despite that i still had to go thru 3 separate interviews, 2 in person, one over the phone.

Now if i were you, save up as much as possible for the next year. Learn some japanese. Find a job prior to moving to japan as it can save you from a lot of hassle. Otherwise you CAN come here without a job and just apply and go to interviews, i did that myself but i wouldn't recommend it. Also, live in a cheap ass sharehouse for your first few months. This'll help you save up while you go thru the mind numbing process of finding a suitable apartment. Idk where you are from/standard of living but be ready to downsize a little bit. My current house was built in 1965 but recently renovated. If you're ok with oldee houses with maybe a tatami floor bedroom then that's good cause those houses are less in demand than new ones

For tutoring check Hellosensei. It's super saturated however. Craigslist might also work or you could do what i did and just hand out leaflets on uni campuses advertising your tutoring services. I typically tutor like you said on sundays (maybe 3-4 students) and weekday morning/noons. It's easy money so i def recommend it

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask more
>>
What's the point of ESL in Japan? You practically save nothing compared to other Asian countries.
>>
>>1573437
Life is not always about the money you know. I didn't go there with the intention of staying there forever. I went to get a feel for teaching as it's something i plan to do in my home country after i finish masters. I also went there for the experience of living in a completely foreign country and culture etc.
>>
>>1573440
>Life is not always about the money you know
Says everyone who has a shit-paying job lmao
>>
>>1573446
I was making more money before but didn't feel as happy with what i was doing.

Each to their own i guess. But the real question is what makes someone go on a cambodian basketweaving forum only to get triggered by the life choices of individuals they've never met
>>
>>1573448
People who are thinking about teaching overseas should know the truth about Japan.
>>
>>1573436
Thanks for the info, anon. My Japanese is passable, but I'm working on improving it. I just had a look at the suumo site and was able to navigate it well enough. You're right about the prices there being a lot better than what GaijinPot would list for the same type of unit. Appreciate all the tips.
>>
>>1573449
That's the reason I'm here trying to tell people what it's like from my experience and give them advice on what to expect
>>
>>1573451
No problem anon. I hope for all the best in your future ventures. Also for guesthouses its ok to find those from English sites as those prices don't differ too much.
>>
>>1554932
my plan is to teach back in america but ideally in the country side
>>
Does anyone have experiences teaching in European countries?
>>
>>1554897
would i need to get TEFL certification if i'm already a licensed teacher?
>>
File: 1511247136669.jpg (62 KB, 1280x720)
62 KB
62 KB JPG
>>1554897 (OP)
I have seen this pasta dozens of times, why not start a thread normally? People will actually fall for it you know?

>>1554897 (OP)
>mfw my Spring break is over and I am going back to work again tomorrow.
it fucking hurts. I want to die.
I am an ALT here in Nippon, I actually don't mind the job, it isn't terrible, it can be pleasant, I dont save any money but I make enough to travel and break even. I also do love Japan and exploring it during my time off and I have learned a ton of Japanese in my time here.
However, I simply dont want to do it anymore, I want to go back home and get on with my life. This was always the plan, but I thought I could last 1.5 years doing this. It has been 6 months and I want to stop. God help me I don't want to go in tomorrow. Fuck. Like I said I am in no way complaining about my experience of living in Japan so far, it is just I am already tired of being an ALT, especially because I teach in Elementary schools which is such a shallow and repetitive job.

>>1554932
Go back home and become a real teacher, maybe try for a better job abroad one day.
>>
>>1573533
If you love living in Japan, but just hate the ALT job, why don't you look for a better job? Do you have any other skills? What's your degree in? Maybe you can find another job closer to what you're interested in. Of course, you'd need to speak Japanese quite well in most cases, but it's something you can work towards, instead of just throwing in the towel already.
>>
>>1573543
I want to teach. I would like to work in an international school or a university at some point but I also want to get my masters/a real teaching degree and I am planning to go back to the US to do that, at least temporarily.

Thegoal was to be here for a year or so, see how I like it, then leave and come back on better terms another time. Also as much as I like it I feel like I can't just live here forever in the end I am too connected to the US. Not to say I wont wind up working here again because I plan too. I don't really see it as throwing in the towel, though maybe I am just telling myself that.
>>
>>1572840
basically just take whatever she'll pay. It's easy for you but students and girls in general don't have much money. And you get to make a friend for free!
>>1554932
spend a year to get the required documents and then open a mid-tier english center and make fuck tons of money.
>>
>>1573512
Yes, don’t teach in Spain.
>>
>>1573437
Depends on who you're with, JET rises to 330k a month regardless of where you live
>>
>>1573605
I've heard of the program BEDA where you can teach in Spain while working on your Masters but then i'd have to teach in Spain
any countries not Spain that offer those programs
>>
>>1573425
ALT? i hear eikaiwas have exclusivity contracts thus preveting you from doing side jobs. I was wondering how do you go about it if that is the case.
>>
>>1573714
I didn't get hired as by a Eikaiwa but at the hiring session the recruiter basically told us the criteria that if followed, would let you take side jobs with the company turning a blind eye. (Namely, don't teach the Eikaiwa's students, and put your Eikaiwa job first). I think it's pretty good like that
>>
Nova and Gaba still shit?
>>
>>1557887
Do you plan on staying in Vietnam the rest of your life or something
>>
>>1573515
you may as well just do a 120 hour online one just to have it just in case.It'd vary from school to school and from country to country
>>
>>1573780
I am already ESOL and even ESE endorsed (it was part of my program) so it seems kind of pointless.
plus i don't really know what courses really are legit. even in these threads its hard to find anyone making real recommendations
>>
>>1572978
I twach classes of 40-60 students and dont even get paid that much ree
>>
>>1574483
non-native speaker/ non-white/ unqualified?? Or all of the above?
>>
>>1574921
native / white / unqualified. 21usd p/h
>>
i have 4 years teaching experience, graduated with an engineering degree about 8 months ago, in my mid-30s, have celta, and not a single engineering company has responded to my job applications. looking at language farming in china, banking out with private lessons. what should my strategy be? go to somewhere like hangzhou, teach middle school on 21k and tutor where i can, or go for the lower-paid uni route with tons more free time to teach on the side? is making cash from tutoring an outdated meme or is it still doable?
>>
Basically I had an enkai tonight and I procrastinated getting there for so long that I ended up just driving there with the idea of driving home. I parked a few blocks away but I got caught up by this QT teacher on the way home who offered me a lift home and I ended up just confessing my sins rather than lying much more. Anyway a few of my teachers drove me home in my car and it's all good now but they did not see the funny side of my scheme whatsoever and I'm pretty sure I have ruined all good faith with them.

It was like just a cheeky 10 minutes home and I only had about 8 beers I wasnt trashed. Pretty sure I might be a pariah now.
>>
>>1575548
please rewrite this in plain english
>>
>>1575568
I tried to drink drive and pretended to be walking home, the teachers found out. I thought it would be a quick drive home, I think they see it as a major incident.
>>
>>1575716
I unironically hope you get deported, you irresponsible piece of shit
>>
>>1575548
Why didn't you want to go to the enkai, anon?
>>
File: 1524018898795.png (161 KB, 261x271)
161 KB
161 KB PNG
Can you still work in East Asia with a fake degree? I know you can in most Southeast Asian countries. Will the school or Secretary of State actually check your degree, though, when applying for a work permit in EA?

I've heard conflicting info on this.
>>
>>1575759
Have sex
>>
>>1575802
Just get a real degree. Anyone who isn’t literally retarded can get one with no effort.
>>
>>1575848

>4 years and massive debt to be a lowly dancing monkey

No thanks
>>
>>1575878
>being too stupid to even be a legitimate dancing monkey
You’re pathetic.
>>
>>1575783
I wanted to go. I had a great time actually. I just had to walk a long time to get there and put it off longer then I should have to leave, so I ended up driving to make it on time. I think I kind of have an alcohol problem because I just decided I'd have to not drink that night but then the moment I was offered a beer I said Yes and yeah, about time I grew up I think. This anon >>1575759 is right desu it was a stupid thing to do, lucky the teachers stopped me so I guess no actual crime committed really but my reputation is definitely damaged.
>>
>>1575878
>massive debt
Memes aside, how do university degrees work in the US (or wherever you're from)? In Australia, domestic students can go to uni with the government paying for their course in full, a portion of which (about 30% for my law degree) must be paid back once you get a job and start earning a certain amount. Does the US government fund degrees at all? Do you have to get a loan from the bank?
>>
>>1575925
The government will give you loans up to a certain point, and everything beyond that threshold has to come from a private source (e.g. the bank). Also, you have to pay back every dollar, plus interest.
>>
>>1576251
In the US that is. I'm not the guy you're replying to.
>>
bump?
>>
Where online can I pay someone to make lessons for me?
>>
>Nobody replying to the applications I sent
That's being non-native for you ;_;
>>
>>1578525
Are you qualified in any way? Also, applying in which country?
>>
>>1578531
Degree in English education and Japan. Should I just get groupon TEFL and is that shit even recognized?
>>
>>1578622
>Be a non native speaker, applying for a position as a human tape recorder in a country with a huge excess of native speaker weebs applying, compared to the limited and shrinking job pool
What did you expect would happen? Your degree in English education is worthless since you aren't applying to be a teacher. If you get a TEFL, that would also be worthless because, again, it is irevelent to the job. At my Interac interview, I was paired with this girl who majored in education, minor in Japanese language, had a TEFL, and many hours of volunteer teaching. I had a degree in an unrelated field and absolutely nothing else in terms of credentials to bring to the table. The interviewer straight up told me that he was recommending me over the other girl because I was more genki and spoke more clearly during my demo lesson.

There are exactly 2 credentials to "teach" English in Japan
>Good pronunciation
>Genki personality
You can get a TEFL and shove it up your ass, no one is going to care about that in the slightest.
>>
trusted programs?
>>
>>1578622
As >>1578733 said, there is almost no chance of you getting a job in Japan because there is already a massive offer of english teachers, it would be unironically easier for you to teach your own language (and even then it would be hard)
>>
dumb question
but if i get hired
do i have to pay for my ticket? do i have to look housing for myself?
>>
>>1579636
Depends on the contract, some have housing and flight allowances.
>>
>>1579636
Big companies will do this for you
Small companies won't.
The ones that will usually heavily advertise the fact, so if they don't explicitly say "We will help you with housing and give you a flight stipend" you can reliably assume that they won't.
>>
>>1578733
>>1578759
China is hitting me up with emails though. Should I bite the bullet?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.