[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/toy/ - Toys

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 98 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

File: SkullDungeon_Artwork.jpg (170 KB, 1000x1000)
170 KB
170 KB JPG
Did someone say... SOVL?
>>
File: Back_SkullDungeon.jpg (731 KB, 1000x1543)
731 KB
731 KB JPG
>>
I grew up with this one and I never know what it was about until like 15 years later.

It's one of those mystery toys that I spent a ton of time in my childhood fiddling with and it left a lot of impression on me.
>>
File: ManEater_Artwork.jpg (316 KB, 1000x1000)
316 KB
316 KB JPG
>>9631150
One of my favorite Doom Zones. He used to make trouble for my Joes and Street Fighters. Also, pretty sure he molested every single one of my [spoiler]sister's Barbies.[/spoiler]
>>
Based thread? Yes plz
>>
>>9631131
I don't collect vintage toys, usually, but Mighty Max hits a soft spot. I buy a set occasionally when I find them on the cheap. I have most of the commonly found ones. Missing a few rarer ones. Last Year I got the dragon island "big set" for my birthday.
>>
>>9631179
Welcome!
>>
I just picked up a Skull Mountain at a flea market for $5 but it's missing a ton of shit. Any of you have extra pieces for sale?
>>
>>9631131
I wish the cartoon had a dvd release
>>
>>9631150
>15 years later
>realizes it can open up
>>
>>9631150
I only ever had 1 in my entire childhood too, not counting Mighty Max clones from stuff like Pokemon, Batman and ReBoot. It was an actual lion man action figure that became a playset. I have no idea what its name was but I loved it and it felt mysterious to me too.
>>
>>9631131
Why do people keep spelling it with a v?
>>
File: Conqueror.jpg (168 KB, 1000x917)
168 KB
168 KB JPG
>>9631222
>It was an actual lion man action figure that became a playset
Probably this guy from the Battle Warriors series.
>>
>>9631131
I love MM, but these ocasional threads get stale if you've been here for a while. There's not much to discuss anymore, they are always the same.
>>
>>9631348
You can talk about recent pickups, things you're looking for, favorite pieces, prices, etc.
>>
>>9631348
>I love [toy/movie/vidya/comic/album/animal/plant/furniture etc.] but I came here to let you know that I don't have much to say about it anymore
'Kay.
>>
>>9631381
>You can talk about recent pickups, things you're looking for, favorite pieces, prices, etc.
I know. And I talked about that in every single MM thread ever posted here. It's just that there's not much to say anymore, these threads always die before reaching image limit, only ones that reached it were the last few ones because there was discussion about playsets in general, not only Mighty Max. There's just no new collectors or product, I feel like we're always the same ten or less anons talking about them, posting the same pics and saying the same things.

I wish it was not that way, but what can you do. When you're here for way too many years this is bound to happen. Anyways, enjoy the thread anons.
>>
>>9631310
probably to get past filters
>>
>>9631171
>>9631131
>>9631179
>>9631411
Wow crossboarders
>>
>>9631498
>t. soulless collectorbot
>>
>>9631505
okay boomer, keep remaking ghost busters acting like its hot shit
>>
>>9631440
ok you can fuck off then negative nancy
>>
>>9631533
You misunderstood. I meant that you're part of the board's soulless collector/reseller/shill demographic. As opposed to the rest of us who like to reminisce and actually play with our old toys instead of buying contemporary chink trash and keeping it boxed up on a shelf.
>>
>>9631560
6 inch action figures are lame, also all toys are made in china you go on about soul yet your country is unable to make toys yourself
>>
>>9631563
>also all toys are made in china
>doesn't own any glorious made in Malta Playmobil sets
And you just outed yourself as a crossboarder tourist.
>>
>>9631563
>all toys are made in china
Mighty Max was manufactured by Bluebird in the UK, back in the 90s. Your argument is invalid and you're probably a zoomer faggot.
>>
>>9631563
outsourcing production to poor countries with near-slave labor isn’t done because Americans and others first worlders can’t make their own shit, it’s to exploit people in countries like yours. I don’t approve of the system but to act all elitist because your people work in shitty factories for next to nothing is absolutely bizarre.
>>
>>9631750
>it’s to exploit people in countries like yours
>a toy has soul if it is made by soulless bugmen
hypocrite much? no wonder you dumb whiteys are going extinct
>>
>>9631336
Holy shit thank you I need to go through my old stuff to find him. He was one of the few toys I have from my childhood.
>>
I had damn near every one at one point. My dad worked at toys r us and I was able to buy a lot of the sets for cheap because of missing pieces
>>
>>9631757
you aren’t a human
>>
>>9631757
Notice how he responds to the 3rd post because the 1st and 2nd absolutely bootyblast him. Never return faggot
>>
I love miniature toys and I remember having second hand toys from flea markets and goodwill like shops. Really enjoyed playing with these little figs and micromachines cars and star wars sets.
>>
>>9631131

I had nearly every MM as a kid, one of my favorite lines. My favorites were this >>9631194, the Dragon Island (pic related) and the magma dude. There were so many little details and moving parts in these large sets, I adored discovering new things about it.
>>
File: MAGNUS.jpg (79 KB, 500x542)
79 KB
79 KB JPG
>>9632543

Magma guy I mentioned (Magus, apparently.) I loved that you got both a playset and a big figure out of him.
>>
>>9632545
Recently bought this one complete, thoroughly enjoy the amount of interlocking parts and how every loose part of anatomy turns into a monster or a vehicle.

Also, the amount of little paint apps is staggering, across the entire line.
>>
My first set ever was Kronosaur and it was always one of my favorites. Recently got a custom painted one inspired by the rare red variant.
>>
File: kronosaur-bd.jpg (2.28 MB, 1844x655)
2.28 MB
2.28 MB JPG
>>9632723
I loved this one as a kid. When I played with these toys I ended up making the caveman a good guy.
>>
File: 45uw.jpg (193 KB, 1200x1600)
193 KB
193 KB JPG
>>9631131
>Did someone say... SOVL?
i feel like every pocket toy of 90s is peak soul.

Im going to buy Reboot sets soon. they looks so comfy inside
>>
File: s-l1600 (3).jpg (149 KB, 900x1600)
149 KB
149 KB JPG
>>9635310
>>
>>9635221
Oh dear, they got really lucky they never had to write 'Clint' or 'Flick' with that style of lettering
>>
>>9635221
My memories are a bit hazy, but I think in the cartoon episode inspired by the set, he WAS a good guy.
>>
File: MightMax_battlecat.jpg (276 KB, 892x1053)
276 KB
276 KB JPG
>>9635474
As it goes, there's only so many ideas, they eventually used another caveman. There's a set with a sabertooth tiger and wolly mammooth. There's an episode based off this and the caveman is a good guy. They never did a dinosaur/caveman episode. There is a dinosaur episode, but that's also based on a different set.
>>
>>9631194
I miss this little mountain like you wouldn't believe.
>>
File: MMpck1.jpg (28 KB, 300x300)
28 KB
28 KB JPG
>>9631348
True, but I still feel they're worth having. Vintage mighty Max is a pain to collect. Little pieces often get lost or are not known to go with sets. So complete sets sold by aware sellers go for a lot. Incomplete sets sold at flea markets/garage sales go for sooooo cheap.

That said, the aesthetic of the toyline and comic is so strong I will try to always support these threads and conversations, even if it gets stale.

Wish to all hell I grabbed more of these figure packs as a kid. I got to pick one at the mall one day, damn it I wish I could have gotten them all. Great way to supplement the line.
>>
>>9640255
So you need two incomplete to make one complete? Or someone should 3D scan the pieces for 3D printing.
>>
>>9643170
You need a resin printer really for how small the pieces are going to be. It's really not worth the effort, just try to buy them up.
>>
i had most of the older starwars micromachines playsets as well as the newer ones that came out when the force awakens came out.
the newer ones were pretty meh.
>>
>>9631336
I swear they did minifig versions of this guy and the two-headed hydra at some point, which left me very confused because they were supposed to be enormous monsters and not generic mooks.
>>
>>9644982
I couldn't find anything that resembled a lion-headed man that you might be confusing it with. The two headed hydra figure/set did come with a 2-headed miniature though
>>
File: skull dungeon.jpg (2.05 MB, 2448x3264)
2.05 MB
2.05 MB JPG
>>9631579
>UK company
>therefore not made in China
Kill yourself nigger boomer faggot amerimutt.
>>
>>9644982
>>9649720
Found it.
>>
>>9651659
Looks like Cybot, Pharaoh Fang, Lavabeast, Hydra and Gargoyle also all have normal, minifig versions of themselves, even if they don't look exactly like their bigger playset counterparts. Wonder what the lore behind them shrinking down was - I'm pretty sure they really were huge in the pack-in comics for the Battle Beast sets.
>>
>>9651659
In the cartoon they were normal sized, these sets were clearly meant to look like their cartoon versions, hence why Lavalord looks different, same as Dr Cygote being an alien like creature like in the cartoon instead of a fat bald man.
>>
Is there a source for what sets were released in what countries? I had a bunch of these as a kid and remember seeing them in store and picking ones I wanted but I swear we never got a bunch of the sets released here in Aus since I never saw them in store, never knew anyone that had them and never see them for sale on ebay.
>>
>>9632545
The godlike end boss figure. I don't remember having that sword dude, though, weird.
>>
>>9651659
Wow, those are some really detailed Maxes and they actually look like the show, this must have been some late-line stuff. But still, nothing beats lil' cutie chibi Max from the original sets. He honestly looks like the protag of a Japanese SNES game or something, it's so great.
>>
File: 2799020.jpg (57 KB, 456x500)
57 KB
57 KB JPG
>>9659010
This, on the other hand, is what I consider the dark ages of Max minifigures. The proportions are so unappealing, and his jeans look dorky and unstylish, like dad jeans. His honker is clownishly huge and his cheeks seem overstuffed, like some sort of ragdoll puppet. Something about his face just feels withered, like a very old man with a kid's haircut. And just look at those haunting empty eye sockets. This should be the villain in the set, coming to find innocent kids with his eerie lantern.

Truly a horrible sight to behold.
>>
>>9659015
his tucked-in shirt also ages him substatially. it was the 90s, untucked shirts like >>9659010 were popular
>>
>>9635310
I remember that.
>>
What always got me as a kid was the last episode. Max gets to time travel or reset to the first episode. Does he have to do every adventure again? Can he save his friends with a second chance by knowing what is happening? I don't see it as a win but a death loop.
>>
>>9660493
I original thought it was a death loop but the last episode implied Max remembers everything as well as Virgil in his message to Max, so I'd say events after Max when back in time have not been animated. It would have been an interesting season seeing Max, Virgil, and Norman going through same adventures again but with knowledge of knowing how things play out. Sad we never got a continuation or anything at all after the series. I remember reading rumors of a live action movie, but it never happened.
>>
>>9660707
I think that concept would have run out of steam fast, they'd need to change it up after an ep or two of retreading. Yes, even with knowledge of the past. Kids with poor memories would just be confused or think they were watching the same eps again.

A live action movie in the peak of Max's popularity would have been sick though. Imagine it with early 90s practical effects and sets.
>>
>>9660756
I at one point thought Jumper was an idea stolen from mighty max or somehow connected to it, but then I realized there's no Cap opening portal thing going on and was thankful.
But damn it the premise is there, lots of different self containing episodes of different adventures and villains. What if Mighty Max film was a trilogy, or what if it was as long as the amount of Harry Potter films (if it came out in the early 2000s)? It would have been cool, and we could see Max grow up, trying to balance school life, friends, and saving the world! By the end of the last movie he's in his 20s and been through a lot. Wish someone in the industry could see this potential... could revive the toy line too...
>>
>>9660828
Nah, Jumper was its own thing, it was based on a novel (which incidentally, came out the same year Mighty Max did). That book might have traumatized me a lil bit as a kid, with the protag nearly getting raped by a gang of truckers and only his teleportation powers saving him.
>>
>>9660852
I've never watched jumper I only saw trailers, holy crap lol.
If there were to be a movie adaptation of mighty max today, would you prefer it set in the 90s or in modern times? I just think it'd be difficult to make it appealing if it was 90s, not impossible, but they would have to execute everything right. I would prefer 90s myself though honestly.
>>
>>9660862
90s for sure, Mighty Max is emblematic of the times. I think it would just feel bizarre taken out of that time period. To be real, it wouldn't even be that difficult. Just 20 minutes or so of condensed 90s sets and clothing in the "real world," then you get to go time-tripping to other worlds and it doesn't really matter anymore. But Max's attitude needs to be squarely 90s--bad boy shit, always throwing snarky quips to the baddies as he outwits them, it'd be fun as fuck.
>>
>>9660862
Also, I have no idea if they put that almost-rape scene in the movie, I never saw it either. But it was pretty graphic in the book. There's this line seared into my brain about the trucker's warm spit hitting his butthole right as he teleports away. Fucking messed me up for weeks and I still remember it now years later.
>>
>>9660871
I'm speechless lol...
>>9660862
I was just worried about Max's outfit, that giant M on a white t shirt looks ok in 2d but i dunno about real life lol.. i looked up cosplays of Mighty Max and had a good time laughing. But I mean, Max's character design is simple, and what I was laughing at was fan cosplay which may or may not be serious to the cosplayer in the pics I saw. As for a live action Norman and Virgil, they should be no problem at all. Max's mom, Bea, and that other dude with hair that cover his eyes lol, it'd be great to see them all on big screen. I'd worry though a live action film of his adventures would require a really really high budget, and they would really have to hit with fan success in an initial film.
>>
>>9660885
Ack i didn't mean to reply to myself, it was meant for >>9660869
>>
File: mighty max.jpg (1.3 MB, 2448x1836)
1.3 MB
1.3 MB JPG
some of the few toys i saved from my mom selling at garage sales.
>>
>>9631563
You're the cancer that destroyed /toy/. End yourself
>>
>>9662263
Solid collection
>>
>>9664421
>its your fault man babies spread their shit scale of heckin action figure crap
>>
>>9660756
I think it would have been wrapped up in a few episodes, like or 2. Re-doing the first one where Virgil is telling him he is the chosen one and Max is fully onboard and into it and even knows where the portals are that Virgil is taking him too would have been pretty good.
>>
>>9662263
Are you me? I have basically the exact same ones.
>>
File: DSCN0588.jpg (781 KB, 3648x2736)
781 KB
781 KB JPG
My collection. Got a few more on the way as well.
>>
>>9676424
Noce
>>
>>9631131
I still have my Magus, only time I got Virgil and Norman in a set.
>>
>>9632543
I had this one and ended up donating it to a Goodwill. I hope someone good ended up getting it.
>>
Anyone know where I could buy a Mighty Max hat? Either fan made or if there was an official one released?
>>
>>9676702
No, but I believe there are websites where you can make your own, if you want to go that route
>>
>>9651659
Holy soul. Mighty Max video game where they look like minifigures when?
>>
File: 2022-03-18 23.03.10.jpg (3.11 MB, 3024x4032)
3.11 MB
3.11 MB JPG
I had a bunch of sets when I was a kid (including both the mountain and dragon island). They're at my parents house in storage somewhere, but I did recently pick up this set because it was my favorite of the mostly normal sized sets. It's near complete, it just has the wrong Max (the one in here is the Max holding a wrench).
>>
File: IMG_20220318_212400_959.jpg (131 KB, 720x1280)
131 KB
131 KB JPG
I found this one on a flea market like 6 or 7 years ago for 10 bucks ,i was startled cause i never seen it before, since i didn't even knew it existed
>>
Did Skullmaster come with any set or was he a cartoon creation?
>>
File: BovANF9.png (663 KB, 853x700)
663 KB
663 KB PNG
>>9676909
Imagine a sidescroller from the golden age of 2D, with each stage themed after a Doom Zone. It would be made by...let's say Treasure, with incredibly smooth animation and satisfying gameplay mechanics. Each has all the gimmicks from the actual sets, the enemies are minifig-accurate designs, and you can choose which zone to jump to next in an Outrun/Darius-style flowchart that encourages multiple replays. Every few stages, you are interrupted by a dedicated "miniboss" type level that takes you to one of the bigger, more iconic zones, like Terror Talons or Dragon Island. This all culminates with a showdown at Skull Mountain of course.
>>
File: Skullmaster3.jpg (109 KB, 792x1000)
109 KB
109 KB JPG
>>9679075
The cartoon Skullmaster come with Dragon Island, possibly others too.

But it's weird because Skull Mountain also came with a "final boss" named Skullmaster, who looked completely different.
>>
File: Skullmasterfig.jpg (16 KB, 250x322)
16 KB
16 KB JPG
>>9679094
This is the old Skullmaster.
>>
>>9676909
>>9679089
I would've taken any type of video game that didn't suck ass like the one we got. I'm pretty tolerant to bad games as long as I like the license but mighty max on SNES is absolutely awful
>>9679094
>>9679095
Skull master and many characters got s redesign when they made the cartoon so all playsets after the cartoon had the cartoon redesigns, usually for the worse
>>
>>9678823
I really have to get my hands on one of these.
>>
>A MM revival would never work because the toys would be half-assed neutered garbage and Mattel would likely re-hire Kevin Smith for Mighty Max Revalations.
Even if we get an enjoyable CGI show it won't be as dark or horror-oriented as the original.
>>
File: mighty-max-doom-dragon.jpg (611 KB, 1154x1681)
611 KB
611 KB JPG
>>9678787
Update: Found this set while I was out shopping today, $30. Packaging is beat up, but it's not staying in there very much longer anyway.
>>
>>9678787
>it just has the wrong Max
I'm pretty sure there is no set max for most sets. I've seen sealed sets from the same region with completely different Max's.
>>
>>9679094
What was the name of his sidekick? The little red dragon guy?
>>
>>9679095
That version of him, while looking a bit more generic, had a cool feature - if you spun the black part of his robes around, he had an alternate, screaming face on the back of his head. Lorewise, Skull Mountain was supposed to be the 'final' toy for Mighty Max before the cartoon boosted its popularity and spurred them to make more, so this was the original Skullmaster. They bulked him up a bit in the later sets, which were more cartoon-influenced, and put him in a bunch of other sets, including some of the minifig-only packs.
>>9680800
>What was the name of his sidekick?
Warmonger. he was originally orange and was originally released in Skull Mountain alongside Skullmaster, but his later appearances made him red. Also, he's a demon-thing, not a dragon.
>>
>>9679089
As much as I would have loved a game like that back when the show was running, here’s what I want someone to do now:
>Scan the open playsets
>Add surrounding borders, walls, etc. to make it look like it’s built into the side of a mountain, cave, jungle, etc.
>Take note of the positions and intent all of the fine-detail sculpting decorations that set Might Max apart from modern toymakers: skeletons, monsters peering out of vines, spiders, tentacles, etc.
>Smooth those details out from the scanned data, and add them back in as objects, creatures, etc. with corresponding interaction/AI/etc.
>Add texture palettes, grass/other plants, water/lava/other liquids
>Implement as maps in an existing game engine
Ta-da—toy-accurate game maps with all the best parts of exploring the little touches of the playsets up close intact and part of the game.
>>
>>9685129
This sounds neat, but let's face it, most Doom Zones were pretty limited by their very nature and could be blown through quickly in the context of a game. What I'd like is for the SCALE to be altered, with each set piece forming its own mini-part of the level. Something that's tiny in the set, like the mausoleum in The Hand, would become a full-sized building for Max to explore, full of monsters and hidden treasures.

Either that, or keep the scale the same, but make it really grueling to play, like the entire level is built around a Soulsborne-like encounter with the final boss.
>>
>>9678787
Ey nice Robbie Robot anon
>>
>>9687074
Thanks anon, it was given to me as a birthday present when I was like 3 or 4 years old back in the late 80's. Also, working on expanding my Mighty Max collection.
>>
>>9680018
My very first set, and I got it primarily thanks to the dragon. Dragon toys were oddly rare back then.
>>
>>9651659
That’s a whole lotta soul
>>
>>9678787
I think Maxes were randomized
>>
File: leatherfrog.png (195 KB, 600x600)
195 KB
195 KB PNG
>Want a specific horror head
>The only complete sets (or even just sets that aren't broken and have the villain) are from other countries
>$20 shipping + $20-$40 for the set
It's just a Horror Head, I'm not paying that much god dammit.
>>
File: mighty-max.jpg (858 KB, 1891x1112)
858 KB
858 KB JPG
Had real good luck today. All complete. Also received in the mail yesterday my Mighty Max Caught by the Man-Eater (also complete).
>>
File: 1647559890125[1].jpg (68 KB, 488x554)
68 KB
68 KB JPG
>>9676424
I was given this one from my parent's friend without a box or anything, had no idea what it was as a kid. Is yours complete and if it is can you take a pic of the inside? Mine didn't have any of the figures or accessories.
>>
>>9694517
My god, what a haul. Amazing stuff, you're one lucky anon.
>>
>>9694517
If I had a ton of money, I would buy all the Horror Heads (which I think often had more terrifying and fucked up designs than the Doom Zones) and mount them all on my wall.
>>
>>9694681
NTA, but it just came with a Max, two blue Xenomorph-y looking aliens, and the detachable glider that also forms the Wolf's front teeth (which you can see right behind Max). There were no other accessories or detachable parts.
>>
>>9694815
Thanks anon
>>
>>9694815
Even after all these years, I am still trying to figure out what's going on with the right side alien. The left one has clearly visible eyes, but the right one has some zany visor or something that zigzags upwards.

I was also a bit confused as to why these very un-canid-like aliens would have a Wolf-themed ship.
>>
>>9695276
If anything I was confused as to why did they call the ship "Wolfship", as it looks nothing like a wolf, it's clearly some weird alien creature.
>>
>>9689423
gotta hit up trade shows, or flea markets and the like...or just eat the cost. Sometimes its worth it for the peace of mind.
>>
>>9699577
Nice! It's in good shape too, the blister isn't even yellowed and the card isn't faded. Not that I'm suggesting you don't open it, just saying it's impressive to see one in this state.
>>
This was the first Mighty Max set I had when I was a kid. I just found this on mint on card and I picked it up for myself.
>>
>>9699580
Nice. I just picked up three horror heads in a lot on eBay and that was one of them. I think I now I have all eight original horror heads except Zomboid. I do have Lockjaw from series 2 as well. I think Vamp Biter might be my favorite, though I really enjoy the villain out of Lockjaw (would like Ax Man for the same reason).
>>
>>9632545
I wanted these a bunch when I was 6 but never got one, then out of nowhere I got this fucker for my birthday. Was cool as shit.
>>
File: 14329808.jpg (35 KB, 499x286)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
>>9700717
I had Lockjaw as a kid and it frankly terrified me. Imagining a guy with this face stumbling after you with a giant axe haunted my dreams. Somehow his very normal outfit grounded him in the real world, unlike the aliens and monsters from other sets, which was even scarier.
>>
>>9695276
>I was also a bit confused as to why these very un-canid-like aliens would have a Wolf-themed ship.
Probably the same reason humans theme things after wolves despite not being canids, [toyler]they're furries[/toyler]
>>
>>9700863
Is that door designed as a reference to The Shining? It looks like Axe Man is supposed to be positioned behind it so that the head of the axe and his face are both coming through.
>>
>>9701576
That's the idea. He lies down in the coffin thing with the door on top, and his axe, head and part of his arm pop out of the gap.
>"HEEEERRREE'S JOHNNY!"
>>
>>9702405
Damn man. Look how fucking scary this was. The barn with the pitchfork and scythe, the locked cellar door with the maniac chopping through, it really captured my imagination.
>>
>>9703470
Didn't the episode based on the set feature him killing people offscreen and Virgil refusing to let Max see the corpses?
>>
>>9703482
Man ,i remember trying to catch the episodes on Fox kids,but every time i managed to tune in ,it was the last episode,i forgot how many times i saw that spider eating Norman ,or Vergil getting fucked up by skullmaster
>>
>>9704752
Shit, I know it's old as fuck so I only have myself to blame, but damn man, spoilers. I downloaded the show recently and was slowly making my way through it.
>>
>>9704757
Oh man in so sorry,on the other hand ,i haven't seen anything of the show but the end ,but don't worry there is more to it
>>
>>9703482
It was based off that set, but yes, that scene indeed exists. At the end of the episode, Norman also gets the classic "If you kill me you'll be as bad as me" line from the villain, except Norman answers "I can live with that" and pushes him off a cliff;
Pretty based.
>>
>>9702405
Holy shit, I just realized that not only does Axe Man’s face peek out from under a cloth on a locked coffin door, but said cloth, his axe, and the metal bar and padlock coming off of the side all become parts of the horror head’s eyeball and metal cage mask. Look at where everything lines up with the gaps and holes seen in >>9700863.

>>9704757
You should keep watching anon—the spoilers and the aftermath of them which the other anon mentioned are almost definitely not what you’re picturing. Plus you probably still haven’t seen >>9705047 yet, which is not only a particularly unsettling “being hunted down by an overpowered enemy” episode, it also has an amazing character backstory/development arc for Norman. The badass moment that anon describes is not the only scene in that episode which made me empathize for and respect him.
>>
>>9705518
"Cloth?" You mean the skull?
>>
>>9706466
Oh shit, you’re right. Couldn’t make out the molding details there.
>>
>>9631134
Anyone got a full collection of these mini comics from the backs?
>>
Each time one of these threads up I'm reminded that I really need to find a nice way to display my collection.

Still debating if I want to try getting the Battle Masters or not since I'm finished with the Doom Zones and larger playsets.

Fucking love Mighty Max.
>>
I remember when Mattel did Secret Saturdays toys and did some Mighty Max styled playsets
>>
bumping
>>
>>9716674
Yeah, right now I just have all of my sets sitting on top of my 20" PVM. With Skull Mountain sitting up there I now have no room for Dragon Island. I'm sure there's a better way to do this than just having all of my doom zones and horror heads sitting flat.
>>
>>9716906
They look very cool.
>>
>>9727232
Some time ago I bought some small acrylic stands/easels off Amazon that work okay, but I started trimming the bottom to fit specific sets and added rubber bumpers for a better grip.

Not a bad way to display them if you have the space.
>>
>>9730347
Nice idea anon
>>
>>9631131
>>9631171
God I love this art style.
>>
>>9716674
If they get dusty they can be a bitch to clean cos of all the groves so I'm planning on putting mine in proper display cases.
>>
bump
>>
Bump for a very cool thread about a very cool toy line. One of the last decent ones I remember really.
>>
>>9761188
Man that's pretty sad. Mighty Max is awesome and all, but there have been so many cool toylines since.
>>
I saw that Polly Pocket was back. Has there been any word on a return of Mighty Max.
>>
>>9765819
Who even owns the rights now? Apparently the animated series rights are a mess which is why we can't get a release of it.
>>
>>9631194
my mom worked for microsoft (not memeing) in the 1990's and traveled a shitload for work. Every time she went on a business trip she would bring me back a Mighty Max set.
She brought me back the one in your photo and it was my favorite forever.
>>
File: mighty max 1.jpg (2.56 MB, 3264x2448)
2.56 MB
2.56 MB JPG
Still got my nearly complete Mighty Max collection and I love it. Never found a proper way to display it though
>>
>>9769958
What set is that? It's not one I recall seeing before.
>>
>>9771268
Gargoyle shrunken head
>>
Is there a complete list of all the sets anywhere?
>>
>>9777661
spectrumisgreen.com had a very good archive, but it's dead now
>>
>>9777661
>>9779581
Actually, scratch that, archive.org comes through!

>https://web.archive.org/web/20151008083622/http://www.spectrumisgreen.com/Playsets/Mighty_Max/mighty_max.html
>>
I miss these little playsets. Nothing really came close to Mighty Max. It had this Goosebump feeling, little gross like Tmnt toys had.
Now you get more cute or normal action playsets!
>>
>>9780088
pollypocket has a reboot
>>
File: 81B7t1CasJL._AC_SL1351_.jpg (296 KB, 1351x906)
296 KB
296 KB JPG
>>9780088
Ironic that both TMNT and even GB tried to cash in on it.
>>
>>9780155
TMNT did it rather successfull. But it was a side project than a main line.

>>9780091
Thats nice. It is just astonishing that besides Mighty Max, Micromachines or Turtles there are constant microplaysets in the Polly Pocket niche. Targeting girls.
>>
File: bat.jpg (91 KB, 750x1000)
91 KB
91 KB JPG
>>9780088
I had this Batman one and some Spider-Man ones too. I remember some Pokemon ones too where you could connect them with a bridge.
>>
>>9780648
>It is just astonishing that besides Mighty Max, Micromachines or Turtles there are constant microplaysets in the Polly Pocket niche. Targeting girls.
It kinda makes sense, though - the whole point of a playset is that it can be closed up and brought with you everywhere. Most girls start carrying around little purses or bags at a relatively early age, so unlike boys, they always have a place to put their toys; on top of that, playsets like the one you posted aren't too dissimilar to a compact or makeup kit, so it's a bit logical that they would have their toys stored in a similar manner. I think that may be part of why Polly Pocket is still a thing today while Mighty Max and other boy-oriented microplaysets have more or less died out.
>>
>>9781342
Good points.
>>
>>9783004
>>
Anyone got high quality pics of the digimon ones?
>>
>>9787489
This website nxgirt.com/2017/12/hawk.html could be helpfull.
>>
>>9684714
my brother had the skull mountain playset and warmonger was the coolest figure to me. ia lso loved the rock monster because his big grabby hands were perfect to grab max by the face

I'm glad to say we still have all our childhood mighty max playsets
>>
>>9631440

Poor Might Max fans. Why not just go the route of newer vintage Polly Pocket collectors and start making your own MM play sets?
>>
>>9779583
Thank you
>>
There's some very nicely sculpted with tons of accessories Disney sets that I've seen at target right now. They're girl targeted, and probably the best sculpting I've ever seen in micro playsets. The insides are pretty bare on most of them unfortunately, but they do have a cool light up item in each. Disney animation littles.
>>
>>9788534
>and start making your own MM play sets?
Thats quite an interesting idea.
>>
I like Mighty Max Customs
https://miscrave.com/articles/mighty-max-customs/
>>
>>9799541
This is actually one of the coolest fucking things I have ever seen.
>>
>>9799896
I saw some better repaints!
>>
>>9800096
>>
>>9800099
>>
>>9800100
>>
>>9800096
>>9800099
>>9800100
>>9800108
This is nice in a conventionally appealing sort of way, but they don't strike deep at my core like this one does. The black and white feels intentioned and startling. The blotchy highlights and weathered texture even sorta reads like film grain to me, accentuating the look and feel. This is just amazing shit to me, I would pay such a high price for something like this.
>>
>>9799896
>>9801612
Honestly, the black and white seems to be a reference to the original 1931 Frankenstein film - they even left a few specks of black on the white areas to replicate the old grainy effect of the old celluloid film. It fits perfectly with the horror themes of the series.
>>
>>9801612
>>9801738
Sure, if you look at it as a homage to b/w movies. But overall it is lacking some depth to it.
>>
>>9801908
>>
>>
>>9802044
>>
>>9802045
>>
>>9802047
>>
>>9802048
>>
>>
And Transformers now combines with Micro Machines!
>>
>>9802065
>>
>>9802068
>>
>>9802044
>>9802045
>>9802048
>>9802049
I was able to smell the KB Toys aisle from these pictures
>>9802052
These are from the Gem IV era right? I don't recall ever seeing these
>>
>>9802862
They've got the Sinnoh starters on them so yeah they're gen 4.
>>
>>9802862
Dont know. Guess they are from 2010 gen?
>>
>>9803776
And the ´90s ones.
>>
>>9799896
>>9800096
>>9800099
>>9800100
>>9800108
>>9801612
Holy shit that looks cool. If I had spare ones and knew how to paint I'd love to do something like this
>>
>>9809281
There are alot sold, but still has a decent price developement.
>>
oh god the SVOOOOOLLLLLLLLL IM SVOOLLLLING
>>
>>9811668
What? Did cooming evolve?
>>
>>
>>
>>9811664
>>9811919
>>9813867
>>9815747
What on earth am I looking at
>>
Found out about these today and thought of this thread. No playsets but pretty cool vehicles.
>>
>>9816834
It would be nice to get a landing bay or something like that, to have the pilots working on their ships.
>>
>>9817039
I feel like their should be something coming or in planning because the one I saw in stores before looking it up was a drop ship and it looks like there are alien drop pods. So having no base or ground units is odd.
>>
File: FT5SYJNaQAAI0ED.jpg (536 KB, 2048x1536)
536 KB
536 KB JPG
>>9817039
It's Diaclone-scaled so there are some compatible options.
>>
>>9817459
That cathair!
>>
>>9631131
Toys advertised by cartoon shows are the very definition of what is not soul.
>>
>>9817706
You mean low effort worldbuilding.
>>
>>9817706
Sucks that you had a bad childhood man.
>>
>>9817706
>noooo le heckin capitalism!
lol
>>
>>9631131
AAAH WHAT THE FUCK I USED TO HAVE THE ICE ALIEN ONE, I FORGOT ALL ABOUT THIS AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
>>
>>9686322
>>9685129
>>9679089
What i would do is, make the game like MegaMan and Ducktales videogame. The game already had the foundation for it. Just select a stafe which represent a Doomzone. But instead searching for a McGuffin you search for the endboss. And instead make several levels for the stage, make just one.
But probably the budget was low or they already saw Mighty Max dwindling down. You can see that they did alot for the programming but than made rather samey levels and no endbosses.
>>
>>9631171
Why and how?
>>
>>9817706
Do they even make shows purely to sell toys nowadays?
>>
>>9830417
Not really. A lot of regulations went into place about advertising to children and how much a show made for kids needed to be educational. So eventually they just kind of gave up. Cable made things more about getting good ratings for advertisement and now streaming is mostly vanity projects for people that have been in the industry or people that have a lot of connections. The closest you get are shows made to appeal to Millennial and Gen X nostalgic toy collectors.
>>
>>9830460
Most shows still absolutely have standardized product tie-ins though. The industry has certainly shifted from what it was. It's can be much lazier on both sides. >>9817706
It's odd to me to hate on a toyline because it got a cartoon. Mighty Max started as a toy first. It wasn't some joint effort, or corporate thintank idea. I do also feel the first wave of mighty maxx is the strongest, and once it became a "brand" it weakened, but there's still gems in later waves. Like, I would love z-bots the same if it got a cartoon or not. Same with war planets, the toys are great.
>>
>>9834930
>Most shows still absolutely have standardized product tie-ins though
There's a pretty big difference between that and a show being made specifically to sell toys based on it.
>>
>>9840874
>>9834930
Guess Turtles are different. A comic that was perfect for action figures and got a cartoon.
>>
>>9840874
Those days are over though. It's not the 80's or 90's anymore. You don't make a cartoon with 0 products these days. And we'll probably never see a popular toy become a TV show as a result of its popularity.
>>
>>9844053
I think that some series are just made to fill space between advertisment or give streaming services meat on the bones.
I dont think that Adventure Time, Loud House, Gravity Falls, Rick and Morty or Steve Universe were made without toys sales in mind. But i admit that merch is always in the back of their mind.
>>
>>9844206
As far as I know all of those shows got pretty lackluster toy rollouts. Even Adventure Time, which should have been a blockbuster toyline encouraging kids to go out and do their own adventuring, mostly fell flat IMO, with only a few genuinely cool items.
>>
>>9846079
Exactly. It were no toy series. The toys came after it got popular. Adventure Time got late 2011 toys. Thats nearly 2 years later.
>>
>>9844206
Don't blame the toy companies as much though. This recent trend of shows using the crappy designs where the characters are super tall with spaghetti-thin limbs makes it hard as hell to develop decent product. Figures with limbs that thin either won't stand or are super hard to articulate.
>>
All these really take a level of imagination above the average modern toy to appreciate
>>
>>9824414
Man, what a powerful example of SOUL-SOULLESS
>>
>>9694517
Hey anon I had that middle one as a kid. The lizard thing. Which one is that one?
>>
>>9853479
That would be Mighty Max Versus Kronosaur: https://mightymax.fandom.com/wiki/Mighty_Max_Versus_Kronosaur
>>
>>9853489
Thanks! I thought that thing was the coolest when I was a child. Still cool now
>>
>>9631171
God I love this art style
>>
File: PollyPocket.jpg (97 KB, 620x700)
97 KB
97 KB JPG
is Polly Pocket allowed ?
>>
>>9861338
That's nice. Didn't realize they brought back the micro-playsets in 2018 after turning it into a budget-barbie doll line for a decade or so.
>>
>>9861338
Why not?
>>
>>9862472
>>
>>9861338
When they brought Polly back I had naive hope Mighty Max wouldn't be far behind...
>>
File: 20220624_215527.jpg (1.03 MB, 2000x1500)
1.03 MB
1.03 MB JPG
For those looking for more Mighty Max style playsets that aren't quite as good but have a similar vibe: Look into Gormiti playsets. The one I have here on the right is a modified version of the US version, swapped most of the hatches for the EU version, fixed the volcano spring, and used the extended head for the little spring-loaded monster. Did some interior work too.
>>
File: 7869460370_3fa7e583f4_b.jpg (170 KB, 1024x697)
170 KB
170 KB JPG
>>9816834
Looks like action fleet.
>>9817039
>>9817459
Action Fleet had large Death Star, Hoth, and Yavin playsets; and there was a smaller Pod Racer hanger set.
>>
>>9868079
Damn, that actually looks pretty nice.
>>
>>9799541
>>9801612
>>9799896

I own this one, I'm glad you guys like it.
>>
File: 1654155494345.jpg (6 KB, 256x256)
6 KB
6 KB JPG
>>9631131
>collect these niggas as a kid
>cousins stay at my house
>they manage to lose or break almost every single one I have while i'm at school
>>
>>9873610
Sweet, looks sick! Did you commission it? Have other customized/painted Mighty Max sets?
>>
>>9876017
Yeah I was being autistic one day and thinking of what a new Mighty Max toyline could use as paint variants if they remade old sets.
Realizing a MM revival will likely not happen and if it did it would be disappointing while talking to a friend he helped me out in making it. I have a few other MM projects in the making that I'll be sure to share.
>>
>>9877824
I pray for a MM revival so often. I think a ton of collectors would eat it up for nostalgia alone, but it might not do too well with kids without any media tie-in. Although companies are starting to do more micro figures since tooling has gotten so expensive.

Tooling prices being exponentially higher than they were back in the day when MM was being made is probably what holds this back from happening honestly. They can repaint a Polly Pocket-like house with different colors and add new stickers, but you can only do so much with a highly detailed MM-type sculpted environment. I do like your idea about a black/white paint job though. Those could be a dun variant to do that would use the same tooling and only require new paint.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.