[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/toy/ - Toys

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 240575_gwMePSMn.jpg (34 KB, 600x450)
34 KB
34 KB JPG
Do you think Voltron toys aimed at adult collectors will ever go beyond the original Lion Voltron design and explore elements from other installments?
Sure we get Vehicle Voltron in a blue moon and the other installments are contentious but I think a Dracotron toy and Predator Robeast toy would still be nice to see
Even in the original show there was Lo-Tron which never got a toy released outside of a small miniature
>>
File: c84a2815cd.jpg (218 KB, 850x1203)
218 KB
218 KB JPG
>>9310477
Sadly Voltron seems like a dying franchise with a fanbase that's mostly aging out of it. I loved the 90's stuff as a kid even though the cartoon wasn't the best. I can't see those getting collector's figures .The upcoming Blitzway will probably be the best Voltron figure ever made and I think a lot of people will consider it the last one they'll ever need.

The way to keep Voltron alive would be to make a popular, toyetic show with well done, decently priced figures; basically what the Classics Transformers line. The Playmates line wasn't very good and the lions were either too big or too small. That'd get kids interested again and you could experiment bringing back variants like stealth or robeasts.
>>
>>9310477
It's always going to be boxy cats.
>>
Why did Michael want to burn his yearbooks?
>>
>>9310477
I don't see why it could.
If anything, it's amazing that the localization of a random mecha anime made it this far.
>>
>>9310610
Found a full pic

>>9310626
I unironically think it got so far because its the only thing WEP has that's popular enough to be rereleased numerous times merch wise
Yes I'm aware the show had the highest ratings for a kids show at the time when it was airing but if WEP owned something like M.A.S.K. instead we'd see a lot more shilling of it
>>
>>9310500
What's the most radical Voltron redesign for a toy of the original Lion Voltron?
Not counting its incarnations from other shows
>>
>>9310530
I thought Japan didn't think much of Golion?
>>
We'd sooner see the Gotron ferrets from Rick and Morty get toys
>>
File: kill me.jpg (33 KB, 360x339)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
Stealth Voltron
>>
>>9310500
I think what did more harm to it was being coopted by a "fan base" who was more interested in whatever gay ship they could come up with than making an actual robot show. You could have easily got kids back into it if you cared enough to actually make a voltron show. Instead we just get tweeter retards making the show for themselves.
>>
>>9310477
Do you think Voltron toys aimed at adult collectors will ever go beyond Voltron design and explore literally anything but Voltron itself, like the monsters, the enemy ships, the generals?
>>
File: 91M8cvo+0-L._RI_.jpg (555 KB, 2560x1913)
555 KB
555 KB JPG
>>9310477
Anyone remember this one? One of the unique features was the jr team's Voltron and how the main one would allow any lion to be the head which resulted in different weaponry
>>
File: Cancelled_vf_toys.jpg (105 KB, 1280x850)
105 KB
105 KB JPG
>>9313155
Toys never came out
I doubt they would've gotten lion swapping to work
>>
>>9313217
Everything but the torso is nice
>>
>>9313155
I wouldn't really say it was very good itself but it was an idea, and it was certainly more respectful of the material than a Voltron show that seemed to go out of the way to NOT FORM FUCKING VOLTRON!!
>>
>>9313155
It had shitty humor
>>
>>9313144
Children prefer fortnite, not rehashed boomer franchises that attract twitter weirdos.
>>
>>9313414
It least it wasn't the eye rolling self aware LOL WACKY bullshit of the netflix one. But fucking hell, I'm not saying I want a show devoid of humor or levity but is it really so much to ask that we take shit somewhat respectfully
>>
>>9313217
I'm sad this never happened. I like the proportions much better than pic related.
>>
Is there a version thats not huge and hundreds of dollars?
>>
>>9317285
Super7 made a couple smaller ones recently but since they are made to order idk how the aftermarket is on those. It should be less than 100 still
>>
>>9313129
Do you think the lions were designed first or Voltron?
>>
>>9310477
>original voltron
Secondary americans need to die
Voltron literally isn't a real series
>>
>>9310477
It's not a toy
>>
>>9310500
>The way to keep Voltron alive would be to make a popular, toyetic show with well done, decently priced figures
In my humble opinion, I believe the only way to do this is by making a new GoLion anime in the vein of GaoGaiGar and other Brave shows aimed at children but with enough substance for an adult periphery audience and then dub said anime into english with the Voltron names (like the Ace Attorney anime dub) and keep american studios like Dreamworks far, FAR away from the IP, since, as another anon said, the fanbase it brought cared more about gay ships than the actual fucking toy robot.
>>
>>9310500
Dreamworks and Comcast let the rights expire
>>
>>9320212
Were you a Primary in 1982? Are you one of the Ancient Ones?
>>
>>9324811
raw deal
>>
>>9310634
Is this THE Michael French?! :O
>>
>>9310530
Cute
>>
I wish we had more info on the Voltron Force toy Mattel was doing
>>
>>9333685

Scott Nietlich did a video on Voltron the other day in response to Retroblasting accusing Scott of being responsible for the Matty Collector Voltron, which Scott says he had almost no input on, and that there was a bunch of Matty Collector figures intended, but cancelled, because the Nickelodeon show bombed.
>>
>>9310817
It's probably popular among otakus, but Japanese normies probably just think of it as just another mecha show from the 80's.
>>
>>9310477
This thread has been up for about ten days. This is proof that /toy/ is obsessed with Retroblaster. And the reason why that obsession is because Retroblaster reminds /toy/ of who they actually are.
>>
>>9310477
Defenders of the universe forever sullied that possibility
>>
>>9334845
The anime is considered a drop in the bucket and has no fandom to speak of. Even oldtakus nostalgic of the '80 didn't think much about it. The saving grace is the original Chogokin toy which is well regarded among the collectors.
>>
>>9339791
You mean Legendary Defender right?
>>
>>9310477
I remember being into this as a kid. Got all the Lions and the castle for Christmas 1984. Never had any of the baddies for some reason, and couldn't tell you a damn thing about the show except that the first leader got croaked and that's why nobody matched their damn lions.
>>
>>9348020
Wait... I think the fat guy and the dorky kid matched theirs. And blue guy wound up in the red arm, the princess whatsherface wound up in blue, and the red guy wound up in the leader. I'm havin flashbacks here, I haven't thought about any of this shit in 30 somethin years.
>>
>>9314127
I'm picking this up later today. Have to drive about an hour away. Just to get it cheap.
>>
What a dumb costume
>>
>>9340324
What is so bad about it according to the Japanese, and why did it become so popular everywhere else including the West?
>>
>>9358482
Let's say that it was unlucky in Japan and very lucky in the USA. They started broadcasting it when the reruns of Gundam were still wildly popular, with the first episode airing just a week before the launch of the first compilation movie, with the result that the pre broadcasting marketing fall on deaf ears. When the Gundam craze started to cool down a bit it was surpassed in ratings by the newcomers Goshogun and Bryger . Any hope of leaving a mark at least with the reruns was then crushed the next year by the arrival of Macross. The toy sold well thanks to the good design and it's highly regarded, but the anime paid a heavy price for being launched at the worst time possible.
>>
>>9358493
To avoid confusion i mean Galaxy Cyclone Braiger, the first J9 series.
>>
>>9358482
>>9358493
Why is Jerry Lewis popular in France? First exposure tends to get a lot of attention, like if some third world nation got a sci-fi drama for the first time. Mind you, not Star Wars, or Star Trek, or Babylon 5, or Stargate, but how about Sea Quest? They wouldn't know any better, but it might go over well. GoLion is like that. Japanese couldn't care less, because they have Mazinger and Getter and Gundam and Macross, but we got Voltron. Since then, we've gotten all the prior stuff too, but there's nothing quite like your first fascination, especially when young.

So yeah, Voltron is the Sea Quest of super robots.
>>
>>9361621
>but there's nothing quite like your first fascination
sounds like a nation full of dummies to me, they do believe in a magic man after all
>>
>>9350444
are you still alive?
>>
File: PXL_20211002_073428885.jpg (1.63 MB, 2160x3840)
1.63 MB
1.63 MB JPG
>>9361659
Yes, it turned into a 4 hour drive round trip. Should have just bought it on eBay.

Would have spent the same amount of $.

I'm happy with it. Only real issue I have is the lack of posing ability.
>>
File: PXL_20211004_210832420.jpg (1.96 MB, 3840x2160)
1.96 MB
1.96 MB JPG
>>9367217
Set him up next to his counter part.
>>
>>9357771
If it had four lights, one of them wouldn't work
>>
>>9373782
lol
>>
>>9381397
>Bumping his dead threads because the mods finally had enough of his bullshit
Absolutely pathetic anon.
>>
>>9361625
Tips fedora

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.