[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/toy/ - Toys

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 58 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

New board added: /xs/ - Extreme Sports

New board added: /pw/ - Professional Wrestling

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Xnje3T.jpg (55 KB, 540x405)
55 KB
55 KB JPG
You know what I miss the most about 90s toy scene? It's not the stupid speculator market or the fucking McStatue era, but the time when kids' toylines and collector toylines were the same thing. They looked good enough to display but were also robust enough for children to play with. Now the two demographics have completely split and you can either have a reasonably well sculpted but poorly articulated and painted for kids, or you can have a fantastic looking figure that breaks if you so much as look at it funny. And if you live someplace remote like I do, you only ever see the kids' toylines in the toy aisle, so you don't even get a choice unless you order everything by fucking mail.
>>
Okay Boomer
>>
k keep me posted
>>
>>8797076
You sound like a crazy person.
>>
>>8797076
Soul

>>8797082
>>8797101
>>8797118
Soulless
>>
>>8797076
>They looked good enough to display
Debatable
>were also robust enough for children to play with
Because they were 5POA or less bricks
>>
I would argue that things like Marvel Legends, Mcfarlane figures and even to some extent the new Fortnite figures are the modern equivalent of a happy medium
Collectors scoop them up so they are coveted, and if they take a dive off a shelf or are smashing into other action figures, they won't break as easily as an import toy
>>
That's why I prefer MOTUO to Classics. They look decent but they're chunky and playable.

but OP most the toys from that era look kind of shit outside of the usual TMNTs and whatnot. Like do you really think those box chested power rangers look good?
>>
>>8797154
>They look decent but they're chunky and playable.

MOTUClassics are easily some of the most playable Collector's figures I've ever handled, they feel built solidly as hell and have a nice chunky feel to hem too. In all likelihood you missed out on MOTUC when the prices were still reasonable and have to settle.
>>
>>8797154
yeah same, they got toy soul. they are not just collector's items. plus they are cheap and i dont have to treat them like they are made out of glass
>>
>>8797157
that's nice soulless
>>
File: 1613850211249.jpg (21 KB, 611x611)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
>>8797076
Thing haven't split, volume has just turned down. Back between 1994~1999 toy sections at big stores like Walmart, Target, Hills, etc, were about 15 aisle in total, places like Sears, JC Pennies, and others had full toy sections, hell shops Suncoast, Circuit City, Gadzooks, and Tower Records had a small selection of toys, but just like 90s comics, the market got hyper inflated, busted and started going downhill.
>>
>>8797154
>Like do you really think those box chested power rangers look good?
No and I had only one figure and because they attached the weapons to the hands with this ridiculous peg system that broke immediately rendering them unable to even hold their accessories made me hate them. I also distinctly remember disliking the show so that was the end of that franchise for me.

>>8797141
I'd rather take the 6POA of then over 5POA of today anytime, that's for damn sure
>>
File: maxresdefault (8).jpg (136 KB, 1280x720)
136 KB
136 KB JPG
This is why I give some leeway to companies like Hasbro for their collectors figures; in America collectors figures for the longest time just meant rarer older figures like 60's GI Joes or 70s Megos or harder to find variants or in-demand characters of standard toy lines like Boba Fett, or a gold colored version of a main character. Today's design side of the toylines are very likely more in tune with what collectors want in a "collector's figure", butt hey ave to deal with 50+ year old execs who think a collector's toy is rereleasing a 30+ year old figure or slapping gold on a $10 retail figure.

What was nice was that point in time after McFarlane got big in 93/94 where other companies started upping their game in terms of detailing in figures. Articulation was still primitive but figures looked a lot better and a lot of that stuff from that era is still displayable. Trendmasters is one of the best companies from that era. Everything from their sculpting to their packaging felt like they were trying to release a product above just being a cheap kid's toy.
>>
>>8797154
t. poorfag
>>
>>8797076
>but the time when kids' toylines and collector toylines were the same thing. They looked good enough to display but were also robust enough for children to play with. Now the two demographics have completely split and you can either have a reasonably well sculpted but poorly articulated and painted for kids, or you can have a fantastic looking figure that breaks if you so much as look at it funny.
This, also i miss how much bigger toys were and all media was so much cooler instead of the PC toothless bullshit we have now
>>
>>8797076
I feel you, anon. It's true. Things will never be the same, and you can never go home again.
The cost of everything including food keeps going up while the quality keeps going down.
>>
>>8797227
I loved that toy as a kid

But its hands were made out of brittle plastic that broke easily, couldn't stand under its own weight even with the tentacles, and the motion sensor never worked. Still loved it cause it was a big alien though
>>
>>8797076
What's the McStatue era???? Is that what I think it is? In the early 2000s to me it felt like a lot of the toy releases were sculptures but you can move it's arm or something
>>
>>8797082
>>8797118
>>8797141
t. shitposting zoomer or sheltered bints
>>8798522
this really, quality goes down, costs go up, and quality of all media is garbage. Everything is a focus tested china friendly, milk toast safe slice of propaganda, and less about doing really cool and inventive things, Everything is owned by like 5 megacorps and if you say or do anything that's not bland as fuck, you simply cease to exist.

There's no room for variety or life here anymore.
>>
>>8798612
Mid 90s to mid 2000s. You nailed it. Presculpted poses with minimal (or no) articulation. It wasn’t until toybiz that we started getting a product that would resemble what would become the modern collectible action figure.

McFarlane deserves a lot of credit for packing detail into these figures and targeting audiences beyond young children, but they were all tryhard edgelord nonsense and aged like shit.
>>
>but the time when kids' toylines and collector toylines were the same thing. They looked good enough to display but were also robust enough for children to play with.
What are good examples? Because I can rarely think of any 90s toyline that looked good for adult collectors but also geared for kids.
>>
>>8798813
Explain how Gashapon/Shokugan remains diverse
>>
File: images (24).jpg (14 KB, 225x225)
14 KB
14 KB JPG
>>8797076
Are you fucking retarded, this set was a Japanese retail release yet an American anon found this set for $10 at Gamestop or Barnes and Nobles jesus fucking christ you do no research on what is out there.
>>
>>8798829
Japan is a culturally rich place free from the desolation of globalism and consumerism, sure they have their hang ups, but their society is mostly immune to the rot we have in america. It's not a comparable market. You might as well be asking why snowplows don't get much love outside of cold climates.
>>
>>8798817
prior to mcfarlane, very few companies were adding sculpting and detail to their figures, they were MOSTLY durable bricks with slightly more articulation. He was a pioneer in that he or people under him, were trying to innovate the market, and it worked. They took the best things about statues and figures and tried to marry the two, clumsy steps in the original line, but took off past series 2, from there Japan and american contemporaries picked up on his work and improved. Thing is Todd was always an egomaniac eccentric, so when he started taking a dive in quality other companies like toybiz just doubled down on what made him good initially while japan started doing shti like revoltech and bandai continued evolving to match that market.
>>
>>8798857
>free from... consumerism
>in regards to a post about Japanese toys
um
>>
>>8797260
MOTUC were cheap as shit if you waited for the mattycollector sale drops. That's how I got most of mine.
Still not too impressed with the line personally though. Origins are more fun.
>>
>>8797131
Beep boop.
>>
File: nun warrior.jpg (61 KB, 570x570)
61 KB
61 KB JPG
Is OP born in the 00s or does he have a shit memory and never saw real collector figures back then?

Collector toylines were shit in the 90s and only McFarlane actually crossed over, because there was a clear distinct line between collector toys and children's toys back in the 90s.

Kenner, Hasbro, Mattel, etc were all clearly making childrens toys. None of these toy makers upped their game until the 00s, where children's toys started getting collector toy qualities.
>>
File: 1576899820175.jpg (1.59 MB, 1280x1940)
1.59 MB
1.59 MB JPG
>>8797076
im a boomer too but i dont miss these toys at all. it was all 5poa shit and 10 Baman/pidermans/TMNT's in every wave. But i do miss the grander variety and memories of rainbow-colored toy aisles. I didnt really get into toys til sometime in 2000. "Super-poseable" started off as a sales gimmick, i was just getting into Pokemon, and Transformers started looking a lot better to me
>>
>>8797076
>They looked good enough to display but were also robust enough for children to play with.
>They looked good enough to display
>good enough to display
Nostalgia sure does trick the senses anon.

>you can either have a reasonably well sculpted but poorly articulated and painted for kids, or you can have a fantastic looking figure that breaks if you so much as look at it funny.
>fantastic looking figure that breaks if you so much as look at it funny
Do you even collect, this isn't even remotely true. There are plenty of fantastic-looking, non-children's toys that don't break unless you ham-hands them.
Is this post bait?
>>
>>8798933
That's not a collector toy you retarded faggot, that's one of those mail away exclusives from toy magazines. They were making collectors toys back then, but it was a small market, hot toys was getting started in the late 90s with their first releases in 2000 but before that you had these abominations which were some of the first attempts at collector lines in the mainstream in the 90s.
https://www.actionfigureking.com/list-3/toybiz-figures-and-playsets-2/marvel-12-inch-collector-heroes/gambit-12-inch-marvel-super-hero-action-figure-from-toybiz
And you had gijoes and other 12 inch lines making the bulk of those, with toybiz famous comic covers also in the same year with that nightmare aunt may figure.

There were also some limited collectors figures of Disney properties at the time, as well as star wars merch, I think sideshow got started fairly early on the trend, and those early figures are bad but can still be had for 100 or so.
>>
>>8798813
>Everything is owned by like 5 megacorps
Gentle reminder that this is what everyone wanted. Peak Capitalism and a free market.
>>
>>8798936
Super pose able was sometimes a gimmick, but 80s gijoes and their figures into the early 2000s were all more articukated than most figures at the time. I think only some people realized how good articulation was.
>>
>>8798948
No it wasn't, this was explicitly not allowed because of trust laws and other laws by the people who run this country. It took decades to do, and years of aggressively dumbing down the population you disingenuous faggot.
>>
>>8798950
>this was explicitly not allowed because of trust laws and other laws by the people who run this country.
You mean capitalists?
>>
>>8798817
That’s awesome I didn’t know there was a name for that but I definently felt it. It’s the whole reason I stopped buying toys until very recently. I just assumed toys were still like that now. I had this devil may cry Dante and marionette and some soul caliber 2 toys that did fuck all and, I very vividly remember my girlfriend getting me a Redeemer toy she picked up from a comic shop in Oregon around 2003 or something. Thought it looked cool but it did nothing. Also going into stores and seeing toys like bondage Dorothy and tiny old men or a maggot infested Humpty dumpty there looking like there was no movement to it, and walls and walls of Edgy McFarlane toys in those annoying plastic case/card packages like to modern funko levels.
>>
>>8798949
oh yeah, and 1/18 was the dominant scale back then too. that wasnt actually a problem at the time, it's just that with Toybiz adding more inches along with their joints, a lot of other companies would eventually follow suit
>>
>>8798970
I had the exact same experience as you, cringe Mcfarlane shit made me ignore toys until the last year or so. Especially because the only other stuff i knew about was Funko and Black Series
>>
>>8798813
>quality goes down, costs go up, and quality of all media is garbage. Everything is a focus tested china friendly, milk toast safe slice of propaganda, and less about doing really cool and inventive things, Everything is owned by like 5 megacorps and if you say or do anything that's not bland as fuck, you simply cease to exist.

are you like 18? jesus christ it’s called life. i learned this at age like 13, just grow up and try to live your life. world ain’t gonna stop just because you’re whining.
>>
>>8798947
>collector's toy marketed directly to collectors
>not sold in mass market toy shops because it's a collectible and "not a toy"
>not a collector's toy
lol

And Famous Covers toys were purely childrens shit.
Just so you know, ALL OF THAT COLLECTORS labeling was just how they marketed shit back then. They were all children's toys with no collector qualities. Same shit as pic related that are going to be sold in dollar stores.
Might as well say that Beanie Babies weren't toddler and little girl shit just because grandmas started hoarding the rare ones.

The collector's market back then was far smaller back then and your memory is completely shit or you were born in 1997 and don't actually remember the 90s.
>>
>>8797082
>>8797101
>>8797118
>times dont change
>things are always the same
>carelessly compare different eras youre not fully aware of
shitposting is boring
>>
>>8799125
You're right, you want to go back to your childhood toy store and can't accept how the global toy industry works and make threads like these because you're over whelmed with options when before your cookie cutter multiple choices shaped your personality you and your peers shared.
>>
>>8798950
The people who made those laws didn't vote themselves in asshat. If people didn't want this then we wouldn't have people in power who enable it.
>>
>>8798970
>>8798985
I actually bought a lot of that McFarlane shit but got sick of them being just statues. I liked some of the ideas, but so much was just 90s edgelord bullshit blown up.
I remember how disappointed I was when I had collected every Alien and Predator figure released by McFarlane, thinking they were the best we'd ever get, then buying a NECA Alien for the first time. That was the point I stopped collecting until 2018, 12 years later.
>>
File: 1586387023455.png (53 KB, 169x144)
53 KB
53 KB PNG
>>8797227
>tfw i had the tan one as a kid that I got in this cool big bin from my grandpa
>ends up losing track of it with a bunch of other sick action figs around ten or so, it's hard to remember

I hope they're buried in my attic somewhere.
>>
>>8797076
>good enough to display but were also robust enough for children to play with
Why are you happy with "good enough" when it comes to a display figure?
>>
>>8797076
As someone who got into collecting two years ago, I have to disagree about the "well sculpted" part. I grew up in the 90s and just because the sculpts were okayish doesn't mean the articulation wasn't the worst part of the figures. It was one and the same because there were no methods to make great figures. That's why I'll prefer modern figures anyday over the older ones. Literally the only point where older figures were better was the diversity in designs but that's about it.
I get where you're coming from though. Today, it all seems like a fucking nightmare to collect because there are so many different aspects to figures
>>
>>8798813
That's utter bullshit and you know it. Quality has been increasing for the past two decades and newer figures are the best example for that. Just because old figures were made from a solid chunk of plastic and were nearly indestructable because of it doesn't mean everything else wasn't dogshit. My old web Spider-Man (90s TAS version) broke in half a decade ago because of the shitty plastic. Same happened with the TAS Smythe toy and I was always careful as a kid because I had horrible experiences with retards fucking up my figures
>>
>>8798857
>Japan is a culturally rich place free from the desolation of globalism and consumerism
>free from consumerism
N....nigga, what the fuck? Are you flat out ignoring the entirety of Tokyo while you wrote that? I'd get you being unable to differentiate if you were talking about prefectures but Tokyo is the best example of Japan being filled to the brim with consumers, ESPECIALLY when it comes to pop culture
>>
>>8799269
> Tokyo is the best example of Japan being filled to the brim with consumers
Don't forget that Japan only got rich thanks to globalism.
>>
>>8799280
Case in point. The only thing Eastern Asian countries are halfway exempt from are Western values and norms and even those are unfortunately taking over slowly because the governments are unable to battle the shitty pop culture influence of the US
>>
Reminder not to reply to Subjectanon.
>>
>>8797076
I've got a few old Beast Wars figures and they still hold up pretty well today. Injector in particular would be perfect if his hips had slightly better range.
>>
File: air assault drone.jpg (252 KB, 950x534)
252 KB
252 KB JPG
>>8799263
Quality has decreased for the last half of the 2010s and that's mostly thanks to rising costs, because companies trying to keep prices low.

Hasbro used to use better plastics. Now they're using string cheese.
McFarlane used to use way more paint on their toys and the QC was many times better.
Printed faces on every line that uses them? That's actually a cost cutting feature, since the way they used to paint faces actually costs more to do it right.

Go see the Figma bitch thread to understand that shit's going to become much more expensive because Good Smile continues to making toys the same way since 2012.
>>
>>8798817
It isn't so much the lack of articulation but the lack of USEFUL articulation; I have the Movie Madness Ash from McFarlane and he has like 8POA and all of it is useless because he really only looks good in maybe one pose. And even Toybiz was guilty of it. I got their Beta Ray Bill from the Silver Surfer line and it had practically no useful articulation because he was sculpted in such an extreme pose.

>>8798839
>And if you live someplace remote like I do, you only ever see the kids' toylines in the toy aisle, so you don't even get a choice unless you order everything by fucking mail.
learn to fucking read

The biggest issue with collector toys is distribution, literally no store around carries any collector focused toys whatsoever; the picture on the right in >>8798522 actually looks BETTER than what I fucking got

>>8799223
Because outside of Marvel Legends and shit like that one anon pointed out, I want toys that are both durable AND look good, and considering I decided to ditch SHMA in favor of the Movie Monster Collection, it should be pretty obvious which I value more.
>>
>>8799350
>since the way they used to paint faces actually costs more to do it right.
And 9 times out of 10 looks worse than printing.
>>
File: revoltech gay pirate.jpg (116 KB, 604x709)
116 KB
116 KB JPG
>>8799360
Not with collector companies... at least, those with a history of actually trying, like Kaiyodo used to.

Some collector companies had Hasbro-tier budgets for their paint apps.
>>
File: WaspThatFuckingFace.jpg (473 KB, 3000x2250)
473 KB
473 KB JPG
>>8799370
That doesn't look that much better than upper-end Figuarts print jobs, if at all, and considering the latter costs far less to do and has far less margin for error it's no wonder they switched over. Prints are just superior to paint.
>>
File: Harley-Quinn-Icons.jpg (162 KB, 2048x1365)
162 KB
162 KB JPG
>>8799383
It looks much better because it's not a low res sticker.

But point still remains that the low res stickers are literally only for budget cutting purposes, especially when they're using it to replace all the paint apps.
Something like this uses the low res sticker, but only to replace the costlier highlight and shading spray apps. This would look much better with normal spray app like that Revoltech uses.
>>
>>8799390
>It looks much better because it's not a low res sticker.
It literally doesn't though. The Revoltech Jack Sparrow looks alright by the standards of traditional painted face, but even cheaper printed figures like the pic you posted look much, much better. Obviously if you zoom in with a macro lens it'll look a bit off, but even then it still looks better, and to the human eye at regular viewing distance it's no contest that Figuarts-style printing is the way to go.
>>
>>8797154
Classics are also severely outdated engineering wise. Origins are pretty much the natural evolution of Classics but with a different design style.
>>
>>8799395
>literally doesn't
If you're blind.

An airbrush produces a much finer coat that looks even, unlike literal 70s quality print technology.

You can blah blah blah all you want about "but it only looks bad in macro" but you can see how shit the quality is from thumbnails, because the dots aren't packed close enough together, creating a fuzzy appearance. It WORKS (for when a fuzzy appearance like shading is ok), but it still isn't as good as proper paint apps.

Also, i really really really like how you're defending lazy budget cutting efforts, because somehow a company trying am lame.
>>
>>8799412
Look mom, he posted it again!

Don't you ever get sick of parroting this same argument?
>>
>>8799418
Don't you get sick defending low resolution stickers despite them being budget cutting efforts that are never as good as the paint apps they're replacing and lying that no one can notice something is low resolution unless they stick their eyeball a foot away from it?
>>
>>8799412
>An airbrush produces a much finer coat that looks even, unlike literal 70s quality print technology.
If used by a skilled professional artist, which most factory workers are not. The amount of work and skill with an airbrush required to match the levels of detail given by printing would make it nonviable, hence traditionally painted faces either being horrendous or used on overpriced shit.
>but you can see how shit the quality is from thumbnails
Not with the toys I can't. With the children's comics I can, but we aren't talking about children's comics, we're talking about toys.
>but it still isn't as good as proper paint apps
No, it's better. Sorry you feel the need to defend outmoded manufacturing methods because you wasted all your money on shit figures.
>>
>>8799421
>low resolution stickers despite them being budget cutting efforts that are never as good as the paint apps they're replacing
This is blatantly untrue.

>lying that no one can notice something is low resolution unless they stick their eyeball a foot away from it
If you actually were able to look at these toys in person you'd realize the naked eye can't see the same as a zoomed in macro lense sitting an inch away from the subject, anon.
>>
>The biggest issue with collector toys is distribution

Yea, for third world's like America
>>
companies have never pandered to adult collectors more than today but they're also pandering to mainstream "geek culture" collectors who aren't as autistic as we are. So it's good but also bad for those same reasons.

Of course there was more variety in the 90s but that's because there was less competition from video games than now. Kids don't play as much with toys anymore and grow out of them faster. 90s kids were really the last decade before video games took over and even then I'm sure it was already cutting on toys.

It's just an evolution, nothing bis black or white, yes 90s were better because of certain reasons and yes now we have it better because of others.
>>
>>8799447
Europe is even worse
>>
File: SHFtonys-27.jpg (539 KB, 1024x682)
539 KB
539 KB JPG
>>8799421
trAdITiOnALlY PAiNted fAcES aRE BeTtEr!
>>
>>8799464
Could've chose a picture where his eyes aren't misaligned
>>
>>8799464
left looks like an N64 character model
>>
collecting had to have been godawful before online took off. 90 percent of my figs, I bought online. When I had to the brick and mortar hustle to track down exclusives, it was a pain. If Brick and mortar was all there was, i don't know if I'd be in this hobby.
>>
I buy animu figures and they all pretty much looked like shit, so I disagree.
>>
>>8800003
On the other hand, we had a lot more options offline in the 90s before we had to resort to eBay. I remember usually buying my figures at Kmart and Target, and would use Wal-Mart, KB, TRU and Rite Aid as my back up stores in case I couldn't find things there.
>>
>>8799321
OG beast wars toys are sturdy as fuck, unlike all these new kingdom versions coming out..
>>
>>8799464
Just because Bandai is a shit company at doing paint apps with the same budget that Hasbro uses doesn't mean that high quality paint apps didnt existed, such as that Revoltech and many other toy companies who spent the money for that.
>>
>>8798522
If that doesn't say it all. Boys action figures all get crammed into a single aisle, spilling a little into a second if you're lucky, now. But fuck are those aisle _bare_ and I mean like Soviet grocery store bare.

If I couldn't order from online specialty shops, I'd probably have fewer toys as an adult than as a kid. I mean specifically specialty shops because the big players are a joke. Walmart and Amazon are full of flippers charging double price minimum (I understand why but it sucks) and Target must put only about a dozen cases of anything online.
>>
File: 1561719013049.png (531 KB, 532x507)
531 KB
531 KB PNG
>>8799412
right?
>>
>>8800051
prove it or fuck off
>>
>>8800277
>Waaaaaaaa Bandai hurts my feelings because they're an industry trendsetter and my ToyBiz junk is obsolete now
Prints are better than paint, subby.
>>
>>8800277
The figure on the left isn't a Bandai product you silly beaver. And that Revoltechs Jack Sparrow posted earlier doesn't look any better than your average Bandai face print.
>>
>>8799428
So basically you're just arguing that because Bandai and Hasbro were both cheap and had poor QC with their paint apps, that means everyone else sucked?
Just fuck off and you better be hoping that someday they have eyeball transplates, because your eyesight is shit.

I'm talking about companies who did put in money for GREAT spray apps, and that's a big loss TODAY versus how it USED to be in the 00s and early 10s. Most companies since the late 10s have been cutting their budgets and dumbing down their paint processes was one of the first things to go.

>>8799430
>blatantly untrue
It's not.
Just so you know, childrens toy companies have been using the same low res printer technology since at least the early 00s. That means it's cheap as fuck, otherwise Hasbro wouldnt have used it on their GI Joes/TFs/etc in the early 00s and uses it today ON TOP (or underneath) the spray masks they continue using, despite them cutting costs to keep toys at the $20 price point it's remained in since ~2015
>>
>>8797082
90's are millennials, it's more like you are too young to be here, suck my arse baby faggot
>>
File: 140854036286712.jpg (621 KB, 691x922)
621 KB
621 KB JPG
Time to post ... The Toy Store Time Forgot.
>>
File: 140854036286814.jpg (474 KB, 2048x1536)
474 KB
474 KB JPG
>>8801606
>>
File: 140854036286703.jpg (624 KB, 691x922)
624 KB
624 KB JPG
>>8801608
>>
File: 140854036286746.jpg (603 KB, 691x922)
603 KB
603 KB JPG
>>8801610
>>
>>8801606
>>8801608
>>8801610
>>8801613
is this still exist
>>
File: 140854036286701.jpg (3 MB, 3072x2304)
3 MB
3 MB JPG
>>8801613
Someday my sweet, someday.
>>
File: 140854036286721.jpg (537 KB, 922x691)
537 KB
537 KB JPG
>>8801615
Its still on googlemaps ... so maybe?
>>
File: 140854036286859.jpg (566 KB, 2048x1536)
566 KB
566 KB JPG
>>8801619
>>
>>8801534
Are you picking on disabled people again you mentally ill troglodyte? Just because YOU say something looks better doesn't mean it does. More people thinki the printing looks better. Fuck off with your contrarianism.
>>
>>8801621
>Waaah don't make fun of my inability to notice low resolutions
go back to reeeeeeeeesetera, faggot.
>>
>>8801626
What year do you think this is subjectanon?
>>
>>8801534
>Just so you know, childrens toy companies have been using the same low res printer technology since at least the early 00s. That means it's cheap as fuck
So? If they're able to accomplish a higher level of detail for half the price then more power to them. Why is this bad?

>Hasbro wouldnt have used it on their GI Joes/TFs/etc in the early 00s
Lol when did Hasbro use face printing in the early 2000s? Post an image. If I recall correctly, the first wave of Marvel Legends to incorporate face printing was the GotG Vol2 wave. They started applying it to the Star Wars lines shortly after. The Black Series Rogue One figures still had the old shit paint. Before that you got shit like that Tony Stark from a PlayStation 1 game.

>>8801629
He's an old boomer stuck I'm his heyday, the early 2000s. It's like he hasn't realized the world has moved on for the last 20 years.
>>
>>8799350
Not a single thing you typed was true except
>Good Smile continues to making toys the same way since 2012
>>
>>8799395
>>8799319
>Reminder not to reply to Subjectanon.
>>
>>8799418
>>8799319
>>
>>8799428
>>8799319
>>
>>8801491
>>8799319
>>
>>8801621
>>8801629
>>8801642
>>8799319
>>
>>8797269
the 90's was the most toothless PC decade in history
>>
>>8801610
>brand new winspector shit just sitting on shelves waiting to be bought
>>
>>8801610
I'd buy that Crash Test Dummies shit in a heartbeat
>>
>>8801534
>Look ma I posted it again!
The NECA Predator is still inferior to the Monsterarts Predator (which is still one of the weaker SHMAs) by virtue of the SHMA not disintegrating out of the package. NECA spent all that money on paint apps (paint apps, I might add, that rarely look that great due to their shit QC) and no money on making the figure not suck. Classic form over function.
>>
File: money bags destro.jpg (52 KB, 600x565)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
>>8801642
>So?
That's the entire point, dumbshit.
It's such a cheap process that childrens toy companies use it on $5 figures, instead of spending more money to give workers the time to do airbrushing right (or masks/tampos).

>face printing
It's a heat sensitive decal. You can find that shit on Legos, megabloks, and countless other products since the 00s and likely before.
It's technology that was created before you were born and back in 2014 or thereabout Bandai thought
>gee, our sculptors sure suck at sculpting real life humans. instead of hiring better artists, we should just print out the actor's face onto low resolution decals. it will completely replace the spray masks we normally would use, because we need to make more money on these overpriced toys
And since you're so ignorant, i need to explain that one day someone at DC Collectibles noticed Bandai's trick. They took what Bandai did, but instead of completely substituting the paint apps for the face completely, they used the low resolution sticker to substitute using shading, highlights, and other multi-step paint processes ONTOP of the usual spray masks and tampographs needed for the face.
And then someone at Hasbro noticed what DC Collectibles did and imitated them, because unlike Bandai, Hasbro spends the money to put tampographs and spray masks on the face still. The decal by itself looks like shit.
Has Bandai realized how shit a decal alone looks like?? Because Mafex, Mcfarlane and even fucking Mattel, the budget cutting king, are using the low res stickers along with normal paint apps on faces.

>>8801779
>ignoring the point to defend bandai's kenner-quality looking toy
>>
>>8802340
>ignoring the point to defend bandai's kenner-quality looking toy
>Talking shit about Kenner
But anyway, if all you care about is looks...well, collect cardboard cutouts. I'll take a less than perfect looking figure that is actually built well over a figure that has a chance of looking amazing (because let's be real, NECA QC is dogshit) but that falls apart if you look at it funny.
>That's the entire point, dumbshit.
Then your point is null and void. More expensive =/= better. Figuarts-style face printing looks better than painted faces, whether you choose to accept that or not, hence the reason the market has accepted them as the way to go. The fact they're cheaper for the manufacturer is just a bonus- it means things that actually matter (QC, engineering etc) have more budget allocated to them that would have been drained by Chang trying and failing to paint a replica of some pedowood idol's face.
>The decal by itself looks like shit.
Wrong. It'd look shit on Hasbro quality plastic because they use shitty shiny crap that looks appalling. Bandai's plastic has a nice matte finish, so it looks just fine without paint.
>>
>>8801606
nowadays you could get QUITE a lot of cash out of those carded wwf figures on ebay
>>
>>8802340
>That's the entire point, dumbshit.
>It's such a cheap process that childrens toy companies use it on $5 figures, instead of spending more money to give workers the time to do airbrushing right (or masks/tampos)
what's it matter how much it costs if it looks the same, if not better than airbrushed paint?

>It's a heat sensitive decal. You can find that shit on Legos, megabloks, and countless other products since the 00s and likely before.
That's not the same thing as face printing. What makes you think it is?

>t's technology that was created before you were born and back in 2014 or thereabout Bandai thought
I'm in my 30s but keep thinking I'm a child as if that helps your shit argument you silly boomer.

>And since you're so ignorant, i need to explain that one day someone at DC Collectibles noticed Bandai's trick. They took what Bandai did, but instead of completely substituting the paint apps for the face completely, they used the low resolution sticker to substitute using shading, highlights, and other multi-step paint processes ONTOP of the usual spray masks and tampographs needed for the face.
Except DCC did an absolute shit job at it. Meanwhile Bandai is producing pic related.

keep coping you deluded grandpappy
>>
>>8802365
>Then your point is null and void. More expensive =/= better.
LOL, wut?
Are you really this fucking dumb?

I'm talking about how companies today are using the low res sticker in place of better paint apps, because an airbrush >>>>>> blowpen-quality shading
low resolution stickers are shit substitutes for the real thing.

companies are cutting their budgets more, producing cheaper looking toys, unlike what that anon said earlier. He thinks toys are better today despite all their cost cutting methods.

>it looks fine without paint
lol
>b--b-b-b-b-but you can't notice how low resolution this looks despite all humans with good eyesight can notice 70s comics printing methods look like shit
>>
>>8802393
>because an airbrush >>>>>> blowpen-quality shading
Wrong. Which is the entire point. You are wrong.
>>
>>8802393
>using an example from 5 fucking years ago
I can smell the desperation on you.
>>
File: looks absolutely fine.jpg (152 KB, 1000x750)
152 KB
152 KB JPG
>>8802380
>What makes you think it is?
Because it literally is. It's a simple low resolution print out on a film that has been used for a very long time.
>I'm in my 30s
could have fooled me, because here you are pretending that Bandai invented some new technology, instead of noticing that the low resolution printer applications on toys have been around for 2 decades... if not longer.

>keep coping
Says the guy who needed to defend all these shitacular efforts and is now saying DCC did it badly, because Bandai is now imitating DCC.
>>
>>8802408
That actually does look really good considering how zoomed in the picture is.
>>
>>8802408
>he keeps posting examples from half a decade ago
lol imagine needing to cope this hard. Here's a modern SHF.
>>
>>8802416
>>
File: one12 kirk_3.jpg (179 KB, 800x1086)
179 KB
179 KB JPG
>>8802416
ok, that was unfair of me, because they are trying now, but it really does look like this shit >>8802421

Less is more.
>>
>>8802433
I'll accept your concession
>>
File: PXL_20210224_195309944.jpg (2.84 MB, 2257x3487)
2.84 MB
2.84 MB JPG
>>8802433
>Using Mezco promotional pictures as an example of what the finished product actually looks like
>mfw
>>
>>8802439
>those penciled in eyebrows
>those dead misprinted eyes
but look guys they gave him the complexion of a teenager just starting to hit puberty! He's so much better!!
>>
>>8798522
>Things will never be the same, and you can never go home again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10LSSks6E2I
>>
>>8802439
That's actually from MWCToy's review.
So you're saying that it looks amazing, like a carefully hand painted figure by a professional and was then photoshopped to make it even better looking like most promos are?

Or are you going to doubleback and say that's totally not the insinuation you're making, because you need to be a contrarian for trolling purposes?
>>
>>8802472
No one ever said all Mezco's are bad. Just like not all of Bandai's releases are bad.
>>
>>8802475
>No one ever said all Mezco's are bad
Because it doesn't need to be said. It's just known. Inb4 someone claims they're mini Hot Toys.
>>
>>8802475
>Just like not all of Bandai's releases are bad.
And no one ever said that all of Bandai's releases are bad.

all I've said in this thread is that companies are cheaping out more than ever. There's been a decline in quality for the past 5 or so years from nearly ever brand.

Some asspies just get triggered when i bring up specific cost cutting efforts and think it's some brandwars shit.
>>
>>8802486
>think it's some brandwars shit.
I mean when you consistently shit on a particular brand it's tough not to think so.
>>
>>8802492
>waaaah i only notice you when you're shitting on my favorite brand so you're making it a brandswar
has anyone ever said you need to be medicated?
>>
>ITT: Local retard loses his shit because the toy industry has moved on from outmoded manufacturing techniques in favour of methods that are not only cheaper but also superior
You'd think he owned a paint sweatshop or something if it weren't for the fact he's too poor to own even toys. I think he posted that pic of his collection and he'd bought, what, one toy from 2020?
>>
>>8802393
>>8802408
These both look superior to anything McFarlane, Hasbro or NECA have put out. Heck I'd argue these are better than some Mezcos considering how shonky their QC has been lately.
>>
>autist obsessed with tiny dots that can only be seen in macro images
Take your meds.
>>
File: DZJPaAkWkAEOjMA.jpg (192 KB, 990x742)
192 KB
192 KB JPG
take me back
>>
File: Figuarts Superman.jpg (160 KB, 600x300)
160 KB
160 KB JPG
>>8802518
>my favorite brand did a shit job with airbrushing, thus those types of paint apps are outmodded
hue
>>
>>8802619
Yes you're totally proving your point by posting years old toys. Oh wait, no you're not. That looks fuckin great.
>>
>>8799126
this isn't /v/, back to your containment board
>>
>>8797076
I think you are just talking about the era before special collector figures existed. It was only a kids market.
>>
>>8797076
I just miss being able to find what I fucking want inside a store. Instead of today where dealers and collectors grab everything and you have to go to a dealer online store to gt anything, but at 5X the price of retail.
>>
>>8799350
The iron man 2 3.75 toyline was too good for this world
>>
>>8802787
how was that /v/-related?
>>
>>8799280

They don't make the Japanese domestic Toyotas in Mexico only the North American models
>>
>>8802365
>>8802380
>>8802404
>>8802407
>>8802409
>>8802416
Holy shit, what the fuck is wrong with all of you. Stop arguing with Subject Anon, he will NEVER concede a point and all it does is shit up the board and make you as bad as he is.

STOP FEEDING HIM.
>>
>>8802968
There was a time when Playmates introduced their Star Trek line and that began the trend of aiming at collectors but toy companies didn't really know how to do it since their primary demographic was still kids and I think that's what lead to the McStatue bullshit.
>>
>>8801726
One example is the exception not the norm
>>
>>8802619
>One of the weaker SHFs
>Still looks infinitely better than traditionally painted faces
Conglaturations I guess, you played yourself.
>>
>>8803972
Don't tell me what to do, you're not my dad
>>
not 90's kid here but ffs
maybe it is nostalgia playing its role (probably is for a large extent) but like...take me back
I still remember being a youngfag and going into a shop and actually seeing all these diverse lines and toys and shit, monsters from k'nex, original mega bloks lines, non-licensed cool-looking lego shit, Imaginext, those weird-ass dino bones you had to construct, aliens in pods
we had licensed products based on fucking candyman and king kong in one of the toy stores in my fucking euro shithole
and now
now it is just sad to look at
>>
>>8798522
I remember when my walmart had two aisles just for Star wars toys around when attack of the clones came out.
>>
>>8802584
Look at all this garbage!
>>
>8803972
>>8804435
>implying ever example I've posted wasn't defended to hell and back
Still missing the point, in that low resolution stickers are a budget cutting process that replaces superior airbrushing effects.
Toys today are cheaplier made, that impacts the actual quality of said product, than they were 10 years ago. A few companies benefited from newer technologies, but that's only because they had a shit budget in the first place.

>>8803972
>concede the point that low resolution stickers are worse than proper airbrush applications
lol, might as well say that lightbulbs are better than the sun in giving light.
>>
>>8804998
YOU keep missing the point that face printing is as good, if not better, than the high quality airbrushed figures you keep mentioning. There's less chances of fucking up at the factory.

>Toys today are cheaplier made, that impacts the actual quality of said product
No always in a negative way. See face printing.

>>concede the point that low resolution stickers are worse than proper airbrush applications
They are though. You've yet to post an example that's better.
>>
File: comic print.jpg (332 KB, 416x338)
332 KB
332 KB JPG
>>8805010
>better
if you ignore how low resolution it is and the fact it makes the bare plastic show through, hence that fuzzy look even at arm's length away.

And you have been ignoring how low resolution it is, because you claim that somehow everyone can notice low resolution anything everywhere else but not on plastic.

Which is why it think all you're all just fanboys, blindly defending budget cutting features.

Retarded as fuck.
>>
>>8805040
>if you ignore how low resolution it is and the fact it makes the bare plastic show through, hence that fuzzy look even at arm's length away.
It doesn't look fuzzy at arms length and you know it. The fact that you've, in the past, refuted certain pictures because they were too "low resolution" just kind of proves the point that, without macro photography, you don't notice the pixels. At least when done well. I won't argue a lot of old Bandai face printing was pretty pixely, but nothing that's been made in the last half decade. Other companies, like DCC, did a shit job on their Harley and Joker, and it showed.

>And you have been ignoring how low resolution it is, because you claim that somehow everyone can notice low resolution anything everywhere else but not on plastic.
I've tried to explain what pixel density and DPI are to you in the past, but you've never demonstrated the ability to grasp those concepts so I'm not going to bother trying to again.

>>Which is why it think all you're all just fanboys, blindly defending budget cutting features.
And you're a contrarian because you're one of the only people I've ever seen that's complained about face printing this much before.
>>
>>8804988
>>8805034
Also, slow the fuck down you spastic retard. Take a breath and maybe you wouldn't have to post the same shit multiple times.
>>
File: Retina display pixels.png (207 KB, 480x480)
207 KB
207 KB PNG
>>8805071
>It doesn't look fuzzy at arms length
literally blind or you must believe that I'm as retarded as you if you think anyone should believe this.

Again, you want to claim you can't notice that shit because reasons, yet everyone can see when something is low resolution everywhere else.
Retard logic.

And that's funny about htat pixel thing that you're dredging up, because you clearly didnt understand what i said about that either.
Almost like you're a retard, who also claims that low density dots from that is literally like a 70s comic print are less visible than atomized paint.

Oh, and
>There's less chances of fucking up at the factory.
LOL, that's what QC is for, you dumbfuck. Just because bandai or Hasbro fuck it up because they have shit budgets for their paints, doesn't mean everyone else didn't pay up for high quality airbrushing.
>>
>>8798827

Jurassic Park
>>
>>8805124
>literally blind or you must believe that I'm as retarded as you if you think anyone should believe this.
You've had multiple people now in this thread tell you that it is completely unnoticeable outside of macro photography. It sounds like that's the only thing you have to go on since you obviously don't see these toys in person. I have comic shops that sell these toys and I can inspect them before purchase and let me tell you, it has not been noticeable in years.

>Again, you want to claim you can't notice that shit because reasons, yet everyone can see when something is low resolution everywhere else.
Lol, you still don't understand DPI do you? Cute.

>LOL, that's what QC is for, you dumbfuck. Just because bandai or Hasbro fuck it up because they have shit budgets for their paints, doesn't mean everyone else didn't pay up for high quality airbrushing.
QC issues still occur in all lines. Printing is one way to minimize it. I mean how many NECA figures have had drifting eyes?
>>
File: Live aids figuarts.jpg (300 KB, 2048x1712)
300 KB
300 KB JPG
>>8805223
>multiple people
>all saying you can't notice low resolution on plastic cuz REEEEEEsons, even though you can notice low resolution everywhere else
fanboys blindly defending their favorite brand, because their brand cut the budget on their toy and you need to pretend that's the greatest thing ever.

>you still don't understand DPI do you
great strawman you need to create.

>QC issues still occur in all lines. Printing is one way to minimize it
So because they MIGHT fuck it up (ignoring how QC works), they should switch to inferior low resolution stickers?

Nothing but RETARD LOGIC because you need to defend budget cuts and their inferior replacements.

>I mean how many NECA figures have had drifting eyes?
Did you not notice the fuck up with that Freddy Mercury (teeth) figure up there? Yes, everything that can be misaligned can be misaligned, even low resolution printed stickers. So your complaint is moot.
pic of another misalignment on their newer figure. Yes, this is a print sticker piece, because you can literally see the little dots and the paint showing underneath it, because it's low resolution.... which you claim you can't notice because reasons.
>>
>>8805308
Do you intentionally post images that contradict the argument you're presenting? You do it fairly often.
>>
>>8805308
>rants for post after post about how face printing looks like shit
>while posting an example of face printing looking great
what did you mean by this?
>>
>>8805308
Is this the face you make when you think about face printing?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.