[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/toy/ - Toys

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: alexes (Copy).jpg (835 KB, 1080x1440)
835 KB
835 KB JPG
>"If you're new, you're gonna fuck up. Don't worry! If you're experienced, don't make the new people worry!"

***READ THE GUIDE***

IRC Channel
>Server
Rizon
>Channel
#gunpla

The guide:
http://gunpla.buyfags.moe/

Releases: http://bandai-hobby.net/site/schedule_images/nouhin.pdf

And a handy guide to other types of plamo: http://www.mediafire.com/view/1vf1aw7v91pz5pa/Airfix%20Model%20World%20Specia%20(Scale%20Modelling%20Step-By-Step).pdf
http://www.scalemodelguide.com

Some line art:
http://seesaawiki.jp/nuriesozai/lite/d/MenuBar1

Previous thread: >>8231662
>>
Post-Apocalyptic Group Build

Themed around the above, do you best to paint or "fix" up something to be post-apocalyptic.

Rules:
No restrictions, just paint something.

Due Date: August 1st.

Email submissions to: gelgoogguygppg@gmail.com
>>
>>8247489
The HG looks so good, I can't wait for mine to arrive. It fixed the biggest problem with the MG in my book: the weird puffy/chubby looking face and head.

I'm sure it probably won't pose as well as the MG though, that thing had a surprisingly good ab crunch.
>>
>>8247690

Nice! My pic. The smaller one is actually a RD figure. The other is the 2.0 MG.
>>
File: DSC_0150_copy_4128x2322.jpg (1.56 MB, 4128x2322)
1.56 MB
1.56 MB JPG
This is a fun kit. This leo will become my first attempt at hand painting... After I practice on some spoons of course. I am struggling to get the details painted on another kit since its just bare plastic, so I thought it might give me a better idea of how to paint to do a whole kit?

And what better of an example than a mother fucking leo. I'm hoping to get more of a dark, forrest green color. Think I have a vallejo that will cut it, but I won't be able to test it for a while since I left it out of town.
>>
>>8248189
Btw -- would appreciate any tips to painting the little raised surfaces on the knees cleanly (I want to paint them grey) Might just have to keep some qtips handy.
>>
>>8247690
So I'm gonna buy my first perfect grade, just the RX-78-2. I love the look of it, minus the ugly plasticy finish. I'd like to topcoat it, but I have a question.

So I have a can of Mr, Topcoat in my cart. Is that can gonna have enough to coat the whole kit? I've heard the cans are kinda small and don't go a long way. In reading through old reddit threads one guy said he used an entire can on a high grade doing a couple coats so the fact I'm doing a PG just makes it more daunting.

Also just in general do you guys have any recommendations for building a first PG? It seems like a bit of a rite of passage in this hobby.
>>
>>8248032
I think my MG origin is probably my favourite kit I own. I'm a huge RX-78-2 fan though. Only gripe are the damn hands, they can't do a fist for some reason. The two knuckles work fine but there's absolutely no bend at the main joints.
>>
>>8248213
PGs just have a lot of parts, not really difficult to build.
>>
I fucking hate the gorilla hands the rx-78-2 3.0 has
>>
Is this a good beginner kit? I like the idea of gunpla/plamo and built some models as a kid and enjoyed it but since I like evangelion I think I'd enjoy it a lot more then over time maybe buy a couple more
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07ZTFTDPC
>>
File: 1565496983818.png (646 KB, 482x644)
646 KB
646 KB PNG
>>8248237
It has a lot more pieces. It'll look good though. Maybe find a regular hg and build that. I wouldn't start with a rg, myself.
>>
Are there any good panel lining paints that are safe on bare gunplastic?
>>
>>8248201
>painting the little raised surfaces on the knees
A reverse wash sounds like the trick here. There was a good link in the guide.
http://majorwilliams.blogspot.com/2011/04/gundam-building-101-reverse-wash-and.html
>>
File: reverse wash ftw.jpg (299 KB, 1200x914)
299 KB
299 KB JPG
>>8248309
12-24hr drying time for enamel seems excessive, 4hr was sufficient in my case.
>>
>>8248201
that seems to align with what the dude says about enamels earlier in the guide
not sure why he'd say 12-24 hours in that particular step
>>
>>8248309
Reverse wash is so excessive for this lmao. Just don't be spastic hamhands and use a fine point brush holy fuck
>>
>>8248341
it's not, reverse washing is such a simple technique to do with better results than handbrushing details thanks to the edges being sharper.
>>
>>8248237
Probably the worst beginner kit you could choose. Get a couple HGs or MGs under your belt before attempting a RG kit.
>>
>>8248343
are you pretending that a beginner can't assemble an RG? what?
they're easy as fuck to assemble
>>
>>8248343
The RG evangelion is hardly even an RG, it's basically a scaled up high grade like the old ones. The only difference is the RG can actually stand up and isn't a fucking hand grenade
>>
>>8248342
Sounds like you just suck at handbrushing small details. As long as the paint has good coverage properties and you know how to work surface tension, you'll get equivalent results.
>>
>>8248343
Don't kid yourself, even a beginner can start with an RG.
>>
>>8248343
is it difficult or tedious, I wouldn't mind doing it over a few weekends
>>
File: 61CXNzWBceL._AC_SL1500_.jpg (122 KB, 1500x1500)
122 KB
122 KB JPG
>>8248346
I've only ever had the old eva kits and I fucking HATED them. I couldn't pose it because it just fell over and then everything fell off everywhere. Can the real grade actually stand up? If so I'd consider buying it, but it's important that it doesn't fall the fuck over

>>8248351
usually the only issues with real grades are the fact they're tiny as fuck and have tons of little pieces, but this kit is pretty big (like MG size) so it'll probably be fine in terms of difficulty
>>
>>8248351
nope, he's just scaring you.
get it and have fun with it.
>>
>>8248347
I didn't read the full reply chain and just clicked the link so I thought you all were talking about the sleeve markings.
that's my bad.
though I gotta admit that I completely suck at handpainting, I'd mask off those bolts on the knee and airbrush it instead of handpainting because of how much I suck at handpainting.
>>
>>8248345
>>8248346
>>8248349
I really wouldn't recommend a relative newb dropping £60 on a kit if he isn't entirely confident in his skills. Snapping a HGAC Leo first would give him better feel for things rather than potentially butchering a bigger investment.
>>
>>8248365
I spent $70 on my first kit, it doesn't matter. If you follow the instructions it's pretty hard to fuck it up, especially nowadays.

I started with older kits because I had no money and let me tell you, the manuals are so much better nowadays
>>
>>8248365
I fucked up my first kit, and guess what I did?
I fixed it.
>>
>>8248372
this

I learned the best ways to pull apart pieces without destroying them, as well as how to make mistakes look like features from my first master grade kek.
>>
So what's the current status on the Christmas in July secret Santas? Anyone ship or receive yet? Sending out mine as soon as the month turns over, had some emergency purchases crop up that has delayed things for me.
>>
>>8248741
I guess my guy got his, but no correspondence from him. Felix you out there bud?
>>
>>8248372
post a decent resolution picture of it in good lighting
>>
>>8248222
I had that issue with mine, but the joints at the base of the fingers do work, you just have to... break them in, for lack of a better word. Go slowly but surely and they'll eventually become functional.
>>
>>8247690
does anyone make posed hands for 1/100 MG? Like a gun hand, sabre hand, open, closed fist etc. Hate the articulated hands on my GM Sniper.
>>
Honestly the rotor pack was built for the leo
>>
>>8248868
several companies do.
>>
>>8248872
>Honestly the rotor pack was built for the grimoire red beret
Fix
>>
>>8248213
I'd get maybe two cans? I ran through about one and a half on the only "PG" I've built (it was a third party 1/60 kit, not an official Bandai kit).

It can go fast depending on how you topcoat. I would recommend doing it in logical sections, not spraying the model all in one completed piece. For instance, you're never gonna get good frame coverage if the armor plates are on so you'll wanna do them separately, you'll want to remove any clear pieces so you don't frost them, etc.
>>
Hey guys, gunpla has gotten my interest, which ones did you get when you first started out?
>>
>>8249036
https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10029035
This was my very first gunpla. I don't recommend at all.
Best thing to start with is either the RX-78 Revive or and of the Origin Zakus
>>
>>8249036
Most of us probably got some shit-ass kit because we didn't know any better. But you have the benefit of our collective knowledge and experience. Don't follow what we did, listen to what we recommend instead.

I always recommend starting with any modern High Grade (ie, anything made within the last few years). This is because they almost all hit a uniform standard of quality, they don't take too long, and if you end up not liking it, at least you didn't spend too much. Some standout HGs I would recommend looking into are the Moon Gundam, Origin RX-78-2, or pretty much any Origin Zaku.
>>
>>8249057
High grades are the recommended grade?
>>
>>8249065
For a beginner, yes. Like I said, good balance of price and effort needed. if you feel comfortable with that, feel free to step up to Master Grades, Real Grades, etc. They don't really get harder, just more/smaller parts and they take longer. The reason I don't recommend these types of kits for a first-timer is because they're more expensive, and on your first few kits, you're almost definitely going to make some mistakes/build messily with a lot of nubs.
>>
>>8248999
Nope. Built for the leo, realized it looks too good, moved it to that kit. Well kept niponese secret
>>
>>8249088
I wanna try to get this one but im a retard and I don’t know where to find the supplies to use on gunpla
>>
>>8249116
Literally all you need to put together a kit is a pair of flat side cutters, you can get a knife or sandpaper for proper nub cleaning for your next one if you enjoy building your first one
>>
>>8248884
I'm having a hard time finding them
>>
>>8249272
have you tried going to www.google.com, and using the search function, typed out "1/100 hand"?
No?
Well I recommend trying that first!
>>
>>8249036
My first was a real grade Gundam MKII. I'd had various gundam action figures prior to that but the real grades are what enticed me to pick up the models. It's a good one but if I had to recommend a first kit, I would say anything from HGUC. Especially the Origin and Thunderbolt HG models.
>>
>>8249116
Bro just use nail clippers and an xacto knift
>>
Wow the aftermarket on those builders parts HD hands have skyrocketed
>>
>>8249278
Oh thanks faggot I didn't think of that

Maybe you should Google these nuts
>>
https://hobby.dengeki.com/news/1021924/
>>
File: DSC_0154_copy_2752x1548.jpg (561 KB, 2752x1548)
561 KB
561 KB JPG
So trying to git gud with hand brushing. Trying to figure out a lot. Is a first coat supposed to be this discouraging looking? Using a flat brush. (3 on the right are the ones I felt were thinned to the right consistency)
>>
This might not be the best place to ask but is there any good shin getter kits? Cheap price is preferred but not needed
>>
>>8249318
First coat almost always looks like ass.
>>
>>8249298
>I didn't think of that
That's why I suggested it. :^)
>>
>>8249318
three on the right are not bad, but you can't really get anything out of practicing on unprimed surfaces in my opinion. Painting directly on the plastic is a bad practice.
>>
>>8249322
Makes me feel better.

>>8249381
Actually are primed, but just did a really light coat of grey. Maybe need more primer? I think the problem is that the paint is leaving goopy spots
>>
>>8249383
ah my bad, I couldn't tell. In that case just give them all another coat or two and see how they come out. If you are talking about what I think you are when you say goopy spots you can avoid that by making sure paint doesn't pool in any particular area. You don't want to leave so much paint on it that it runs all over your surface on you. Just wick any excess off with your brush.
>>
File: 1538577938764.jpg (489 KB, 770x1027)
489 KB
489 KB JPG
Hey all

I'm new to Gunpla but have known them for a while and think their really cool. I'm a senior in high school (18) and I really need to start an extracurricular club to show colleges but want something fun to do as well.

I'm thinking of starting a modeling (gunpla) club at my school for fun. I have a few friends that would be interested, Is this a good idea? How costly would it be? I have a decent amount of money but don't want to be making myself poor.

Also - what model is pic related?
>>
>>8249405
>is it a good idea?
Could be. Depends on the people.

>how expensive is it?
Average HG model is like 15-25 bucks. MG maybe 40. Not massively expensive but more expensive than military models. Other costs depend on the gear. You can get away with nothing but nail clippers and sand paper, but most people invest in a good pair of side cutters.

>What is model
High Grade G-Self with Assault Pack.
>>
>>8249414
Thank you for that wealth of knowledge

Yeah my friends have made one in the past and they would be willing to come check out what were doing. It would really be only me and my other friend who is the leader making models and mabey a couple of other people. the rest will probably just be eating food and watching as club times are during lunch.

I would definitely be willing to spend some money on resources to get us set up and stuff and it doesn't seem like too expensive of a hobby to be honest.

How many people do you think max at once could work on a complicated MG model? I was thinking of something like where a group of 3 people or something work on one big model etc so that we can conserve time and keep people engaged.

We would only really have like 15 people in our group

Last question. Do you think it would be okay for me to get pic related as my first gunpla to get a feel for it?
>>
>>8249331
Yes real mature. Hopefully someone else actually has a recommendation
>>
>>8249438
did you try google tho? you actually get results, I did.
better to get results than wait for some spoonfeeding, imo.
>>
>>8249421
Any high grade(for the most part) is good to start out with
>>
File: gs12_10.jpg (54 KB, 401x650)
54 KB
54 KB JPG
>>8249405
>>8249414
>>8249421
Yeah, that'll be a fine pick as a first kit, but keep in mind that the pic you posted is fully painted and pretty heavily modded in many ways. They have replaced a lot of parts, made it taller, added details with pla-plate and putty, scribed their own panel lines, added third party decals, etc. That's all pretty high-level shit.

By default, the kit looks like this. Be sure to manage your expectations so you don't feel disappointed when it doesn't turn out like your pic. For a more impressive first kit, see >>8249057
>>
>>8249476
>Moon Gundam
Oh thanks - Yeah that looks way different from what i expected - I'll look into getting a moon gundam or something instead
>>
>>8249465
Yes and the search returns only articulated hands. That is why I'm here.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1593585156138.jpg (42 KB, 720x414)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
>flamethrower jeep
now thats pretty lit
>>
>>8249653
>White Anglo-Saxon Protestant Flamethrower Jeep
now THAT is pretty lit
>>
>>8247690
What is the thinning ratio for Tamiya Semi gloss clear? using x20 to thin btw
>>
File: 20200630_204815.jpg (654 KB, 1440x2291)
654 KB
654 KB JPG
False hope
>>
Which shipping method does everyone use from hlj? I mostly use EMS, wasn’t happy with FedEx when I used them but thinking about trying dhl.
>>
>>8249972
DHL was a complete shitshow when I started buying imports about a decade ago. I tried them again a few months ago and they're surprisingly pretty good. Faster than EMS by a day or two and usually slightly cheaper.
>>
File: IMG_20200626_013952.jpg (2.7 MB, 2160x3840)
2.7 MB
2.7 MB JPG
>>8248237
I started with a few of the dragon ball figure rise kits, and this was the first thing I built after those

It was super time consuming but it was a lot of fun to build and I didn't find it super hard
>>
How come the japs don't make any lacquer adhesion promoter?
>>
>>8250053
what's that?
>>
File: 1552273266643.gif (3.99 MB, 280x310)
3.99 MB
3.99 MB GIF
>>8250015
>Missing the shoulder emblem
>Left a full size nub attached to the gun
>missing the gun barrel
>Hands not properly inserted
>Left arm on the right side, right arm on the left side
>Rotating at the bicep instead of the shoulder, breaking the sculpt

Bro what the absolute heck are you doing?
>>
is it true that fast drying thinners are better for metallic paints?
I've always believed that retarded thinner was better because of the retarder agents making the paint dry slower.
can someone spoonfeed me.
>>
>>8250076
https://love-p.jp/solvent-mr-color
>>
>>8250058
It's a chemical that acts as an interface between the surface and the paint to improve the paint bonding. Sometimes primers are mixed in with it.
>>
>>8250076
Personally yes, when handbrushing. Slow-drying paint can self-level but it also means that the metallic flakes are mobile during the drying phase, they'll gather in puddles and/or in the corners/seams.
>>
Well we finally have our first MGEX gunpla
https://www.gundamkitscollection.com/2020/07/mgex-1100-unicorn-gundam-ver-ka.html?m=1
>>
>>8250205
>¥23,000

Why the fuck do they charge so much for leds, holy shit
>>
>>8250205
>literally just a slightly altered MG unicorn OVA version
I didn't really expect anything so I'm not mad
>>
>>8250205
man destroy mode can go eat my socks
>>
>>8250232
It's crazy cause Unicorn mode is a nice really understated design which is a breath of fresh air in Gundam. But then it transforms into maybe the flashiest and gaudiest Gundam of all time.
>>
File: 001.jpg (1.76 MB, 2288x1290)
1.76 MB
1.76 MB JPG
took just above 3 months to get here but thanks to whoever recommended sealmodel here.
>>
>>8250308
how the frig did you paint details like that?
>>
>>8250314
those are either decals or a strange concept known as "skill gained through practice"
>>
>>8250314
what do you mean?
if you're thinking about the leaves they're just waterslide decals.
>>
>>8250205
Katoki needs to stay away from the actual gunpla design part
>>
>>8250327
ah, I see
>>
>>8250015
Build General Grievous, that shit gave me a panic attack. Mostly because i build really high.
>>
Okay guys - Deciding on getting into gunpla but want to start off right - have a couple of questions I need pointers on

> Which of these wire cutters should I get?
I heard the second more expensive type was better for nubs.
https://www.amazon.com/Xuron-410-Micro-Shear-Flush-Cutter/dp/B000IBOOWQ?th=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000IBU1JQ/ref=crt_ewc_title_huc_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

> Is there a recommended XACTO knife that I shoud get off amazon?

Other than these two things do I need anything else to build simple HG's?
>>
>>8250378
since you're getting your shit off amazon
https://www.amazon.com/Tamiya-Sharp-Pointed-Side-Cutter/dp/B000J47Z4G
https://www.amazon.com/Sanding-Kitchen-Polishing-Grinding-Abrasive/dp/B074H9Z8CQ (add generic 800, 2000 and 4000 grit sandpaper to this to finish off your surfaces)
add this https://www.amazon.com/Tamiya-87038-Extra-Thin-Cement/dp/B000BMYWYC for seam welding which is a must on some HGs.
https://www.amazon.com/TAMIYA-87131-Panel-Accent-Plastic/dp/B01HDJ7BR0 and https://www.amazon.com/Zippo-4-oz-Lighter-Fluid/dp/B002GGW2BQ for panel lines, just buy regular cotton swabs from your everyday store for cleanup.
that's it, have fun.
>>
>>8250378
Just get any xacto knife that can take #11 blades.
>>
>>8250394
Okay so I see that people in the reviews say this side cutter cuts exactly the same with a bit less comfort - and the guide also recommends it - and its half the price - would you still say get the first one?

https://www.amazon.com/Xuron-2175-Maxi-Shear-Flush-Cutter/dp/B000IBU0YC/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_rvw_txt?ie=UTF8

Also people say you can use either an XActo knife or sandpaper. Is it better to just buy an XActo and use that instead?

>>8250396
I had a shitty chink one and it broke first time during use. I want to make sure I get a good one that won't break
>>
>>8250400
hobby knife vs sanding for cleaning most of the nub is entirely up to preference but you want to sand down in the end to completely get rid of it no matter if you use a hobby knife since that isn't good enough.
get both a 400 sanding block and hobby knife if you're unsure.
>>
File: 1563008180952.jpg (92 KB, 1386x627)
92 KB
92 KB JPG
>>8250412
Yeah I would get both to be honest.

I'm starting a gundam modeling club at my school eventually so that's why I'm going to try it out for myself first. Eventually, I'm going to get a bunch of pic related cutters for my club anyway - so what I'm going to do is get this budget recommended one now and if I don't like it I'll throw it in to my club pool for them to use since I'll be buying some budget ones down the road

and then buy myself a better cutter.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (26 KB, 491x449)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
>>8250378
desu you can build a simple HG with nail clipper and nail file. any of those >wire cutters will do at first but you might want to replace them with something specified for plamo kits like godhand and its variants from other brands(I use wave ht-389).
Best brand for x-acto knife would be OLFA art knives.
then again, you might want to check those bootleg "gunpla starter kits" around amazon, it covers the basic
>>
>>8250419
I'm not sticking with HG's though

I'm just buying an HG as my first build before I go all out and start a modeling club soon for fun. I'll invest in better tools but I have a good budget so no need to cheap out - And I did hear OLFA were the best so I'll probably go for those - how often do xacto blades break when making gundam and stuff so I can see how many more extra blades I should get

as for the starter kits - I generally don't like starter kit tools because I had some for other stuff - and they broke in a really shitty way.

But you did give me a new idea. I'll invest in a good cutter right now for myself and knife - and I'll get those cheap ass starter kit tools for my club members.

but you would recommend starting off with good tools and cutters because those are important right?
>>
>>8250424
good tools and cutters are very nice but they're just there to save time and avoid trouble, I've seen decent builders and painters who use dirt cheap everything but still manage to get good results.
with cheap nippers don't cut off the entire nub, leave a lot of it left and remove it with sanding/hobby knife cutting to not leave any stress marks.
>>
File: 1590589446417.jpg (77 KB, 1189x601)
77 KB
77 KB JPG
>>8250419
>>8250432

true

I actually found pic related

Would getting this be better than the orange nippers above or the starter gunpla bootleg kits?
>>
>>8250434
https://www.amazon.com/Rustark-Gundam-Building-Repairing-Fixing/dp/B071LB1T5D
this one sounds alright though I don't know what grit the sanding sticks are.
oh and you'll want a lot of sanding tools for this hobby.
>>
>>8250418
https://www.amazon.com/OLFA-Cushion-Grip-Art-Knife/dp/B0006O87TQ/
https://www.amazon.com/OLFA-9165-Curved-Carving-5-Pack/dp/B000BNZ8G2/
I personally use these blades, for me they cut nubs a bit easier than the straight blades.
>>
>>8249489
>Yes and the search returns only articulated hands.
WRONG. L2Google
>>
>>8250434
thats for rc shit, do not buy

either you get chink nippers which actually perform halfway decent(i like gtemple) or you get something like the tamiya 74123 slim jaws. you'll want a slim cutting profile(both thickness and width) on your nippers so you can wedge it into more places

sanding sticks, use those for manicure and stuff. sanding sponge from 3m is good too. finegrit 600 and above wet n dry sand paper from hardware store is fine

get olfa knives, though i hear scalpels perform well too

newbies dont need diamond files or shit so skip

tweezers get them literally anywhere for a dollar or 2
>>
File: Richie-Rich-.jpg (327 KB, 800x1099)
327 KB
327 KB JPG
>>8250434
nah, stay the fuck away from that tamiya starter kit, its overexpensive because of the brand and quality is all the same to Chinese bootlegs.
save for the shitty art knife, the package I bought 2 years ago is quite solid.
I strongly recommend you get used to cheap, basic tools before jumping to delicate and expensive instruments. Learn how to use them first, those "god-hands" are literally Japanese steel folded 3000x times and might get damaged if used improperly (snipping at the wrong angle, applying too much strength, etc)
Now entertain me about your idea of school gunpla club, are you playing Richie Rich and buying your schoolmates gunpla kits while you get drunk on power standing? Teaching how to build model kits to beginners and making them use shitass cheapo tools while you show off with your Rolex god-hand is a no-no.
>>
>>8250400
Then buy an actual name brand xacto. Like the kind that actually says X-ACTO on the side, made by Elmer's.
>>
>>8250479
No mate - it's just starting a club (mainly for extracurriculars for college apps tho)

Everyone has to pay dues as is standard with all clubs so I'm not buying people stuff. They will all have to pay monthly dues like 10$ to pool in money etc. I'm not teaching anyone how to do anything. My friends already have made gunplas before
>>
>>8250479
thank you for the helpful advice on the tamiya starter kit and thanks for the insight on the god hands and high end tools.

>>8250512
Think I'm going to get the olfa ones mabey

>>8250461
thanks for the warning and the good info.

>>8250455
thats exactlyh the knife I'm getting. Same from those too links. How long do blades last on average?

>>8250442
reviews are bad on it. first picrelated is that the cutter broke. I think I'm going to avoid them but thanks anyway
>>
>>8250455
Quick question before I purchase the knife

What's the difference between this
https://www.amazon.com/OLFA-9165-Curved-Carving-5-Pack/dp/B000BNZ8G2/

and this

https://www.amazon.com/OLFA-9167US-KB4-S-Precision-5-Pack/dp/B0006O87V4/
>>
>>8250585
curved blades suck imo
>>
>>8250589
I won't get any extra blades actually. I dont think I need any right now as this I'm buying already comes with extras. should be fine right?
https://www.amazon.com/OLFA-Cushion-Grip-Art-Knife/dp/B0006O87TQ/
>>
>>8250308
So you waited for a whole 3 months just for 2 bottles of thinner and a jar of surfacer?

Next step: learn to order 1.75kg of stuff at a time.
>>
File: newfag.jpg (88 KB, 640x663)
88 KB
88 KB JPG
Red pill me on Gundam. Why is it so successful and where would a newfag start in terms of the franchise and figures?

Watch episode #1 of mobile suit 1979?
>>
>>8250613
Pick a gundam that you like and watch it’s series
If you want to start with the very first one, you can try the manga, gundam the origin.
>>
>>8250596
oh trust me I will, this'll be my new place to get supplies.
they're out of nazca primer though which I've always wanted to try out.
>>
>>8250394
Do I need the cement glue that your talking about? Could you tell me about which HG's need this seam welding etc?
>>
>>8250613
>Why is it so successful

Initially it wasn't, the first series had a dozen episodes cut from the end and told to wrap it up with what they had left due to poor toy sales and ratings. Then they re-aired it, made compilation movies, and Bandai picked up a merch license and started making model kits and its popularity exploded. Start by watching th original series and picking up a cheap HG kit to see if its for you.
>>
>>8250613
It's a big franchise, so it's hard to get the gist, but I'd say the core of gundam is 0079, Zeta and CCA. Outside of that, there's a whole lot of gundam out there so don't be afraid to bounce around and watch whatever takes your fancy.

Since this is a gunpla thread, find a mobile suit design you think is interesting, find out what it's from and see if you wanna watch that. If it's the gunpla side of it you're more interested in, there's the build fighters series, a show about kids fighting with gunpla they've made, it's a fun gunpla anime with references to the entire franchise, all of it's sequels get progressively worse though..
>>
>>8250613
yes, don't watch the compilation movies because the original series is nice and it'll get you used to watching 40-50 episode long series which is what gundam mostly consists of, don't rush it either since you'll end up hating it that way.
if you can't get into MSG: 0079(the original series) try watching some AU's instead, which includes 00, SEED, wing, age, X, G-reco, G. etc, they're a bit easier to get into.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (144 KB, 1280x720)
144 KB
144 KB JPG
>>8250640
a lot of HGs even modern ones(though they have been better at hiding them lately) have these ugly seams between armor parts that you have to use this plastic cement to melt the plastic together.
it's not a requirement for building but god does it help a lot since most HGs have one or two really ugly seams, some seams are okay to leave though and some are meant to not be seam welded just use your eyes.
>>
So other than P-Bandai, is the RE/100 line dead? They weren't as good as MG but the line had potential, especially with the smaller MS from late UC.
>>
>>8250624
>out of nazca primer
They are always out of Nazca primers and thinners (you need both).
>>
>>8250667
>seem lines
>what was a flat surface is now rounded
into the trash.jpg
>>
>>8250591
Yeah that set comes with both a curved and straight blade to try. See which one you like more then purchase those refills in the future.
>>
>>8250699
They had a few P-bandai releases recently.
Shokew, custom color Gun-EZ, base Jabber re-release
>>
>>8250712

That's what I'm saying. The line seems relegated to being P-Bandai (i.e. we don't have faith in this selling enough as a regular release kit).
>>
>>8250707
I fail to see what's wrong with this example image, the edges look sharper than the original to me.
>>
Don't fucking get yourself baited on this meme guys. >>8250667 I've tried it, not only sometimes melted plastic ends up sort of spongy looking so you need to start adding cement-melted sprues into it, but also has a chance to end up being discoloured which look like shit and in the end you'll need to paint it anyway. I thought I found an easy way to fix kit's issues, turned out I found just more problems
>>
>>8250719
How is that dead though? It's still serving the primary markets in asia, and somewhat in the US. That's like saying waifushit statues are dead because everything is single run and if you miss preorders you get jewed in the aftermarket
>>
>>8250730
>seam welding is a meme
am I hearing this right?
>>
File: 1575540177550.jpg (100 KB, 1881x890)
100 KB
100 KB JPG
>>8250667
>>8250396
>>8250412
>>8250419
>>8250432
>>8250461
>>8250596
>>8250730

Okay. I don't think I'm going to need that for what I plan to get right now. I'm going to buy it (HGUC RX-78-2 Revive) as it seems to be the recommended beginner gundam and it's pretty cheap. (20$). Good idea? Only seams are on the back leg.

This is my cart of tools to eventually use for more gundam.

Give me the thumbs up and I'll check out. Also why do I need lighter fluid? Will the (TAMIYA 87131 Panel Line Accent Color Black For Plastic Model Kit) be enough for panel lining? And why should I get the model instead of a marker, does it give you more value?
>>
>>8250737
With cement only - yes
>>
>>8250624
>>8250703
Is the entire meme behind nazca that it's thinner and is less likely to rub against plastic? Seems kind of dumb
>>
>>8250740
I wouldn’t get that panel line accent, it’ll eat through bare plastic unless you topcoat. For an absolute beginner just use a mechanical pencil with 0.3 lead to panel line the white parts for now.
>>
>>8250623
>>8250644
>>8250652
>>8250658

Thanks. I just watched the complete history of mecha series on youtube and have a desire to get into some Tomino stuff now. I know he directed Raideen, Zambot and Daitarn before starting Gundam.

I'll give the '79 series a go to familiarize myself with the mechs and then look for something anime accurate to start me off. Thanks.
>>
File: fagb_wip002.jpg (342 KB, 1200x795)
342 KB
342 KB JPG
>>8250737
What he's saying is seam welding that doesn't require painting afterwards is a meme.

It is not a beginner-level technique, so recommending it to a beginner is pointless, but it can still be done.
>>
>>8250730
Never had that happen to me, what cement are you using?
>>
>>8250747
No, I believe the claim is that it bites into plastic better. Which is still kinda pointless if your paint on top of the surfacer rubs off anyway.
>>
>>8250778
That's like primer that you aren't supposed to paint though for inner frame bits and parts I'm pretty sure.
>>
>>8250780
that is sorta clever
>>
File: Grimgerde.jpg (117 KB, 1000x1000)
117 KB
117 KB JPG
Recently I've got my first gunpla kit as a birthday present and I've never before built any models. It's HG Mobile CGUE and half-way through building it I started to wonder - do modern gunpla kits (or at least relatively more modern) have smarter part placement on the runners? Like I said, I'm a total amateur, my tools are whatever I had in the house, so obviously my first attempt doesn't look very good, but it does seem to me that some of the parts could be easier/cleaner to cut out (especially whenever a curved surface is involved).
Since the past few days I've been ogling cheap kits available in my country and the overall experience has been fun, I've already ordered pic related and a nicer set of cutters (bandai spirits entry nipper), but I'm curious if it's going to be an easier build and if I just have to grit my teeth and accept that my work is destined to look sub-par for the next X attempts.
>>
>>8250819
Typically yes. Basically every single aspect of the build has been improved with time, from runner placement to part separation and seam hiding etc.
>>
>>8250749
Oh okay.

I'll remove it from my cart.

I have a PIGMA Micron 003 marker I can just use for panel lining instead or a .5 led mechanical pencil laying around. Anyway does everything else look fine?
>>
>>8250828
You're missing some finer grit sandpaper unless you have some laying around.
>>
>>8250828
That should be fine, you’ll be able to wipe off the excess with maybe some isopropyl alcohol on a q-tip or a rubber eraser. Just don’t get that panel line stuff without a top coat.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.gunpla101.com/how-to-apply-a-panel-line-wash-for-gunpla/amp/
>>
>>8250828
>>8250837
Also I'd spend $10 get an origin zaku instead of the RX-78-2 revive since the revive has some uhh questionable proportions, it just doesn't look very good out of the box but this is just my opinion and you're free to ignore it.
>>
>>8250842
Origin Zakus are ugly and some of the worst zaku sculpts. He should get an RX-78-2 Origin.
>>
>>8250845
Which is going for like $70 on amazon, might as well get the MG origin that's like $73. he should totally check out other websites to get kits though.
And I don't think the origin zakus are that bad but I sorta agree, the MG zaku II 2.0 will forever be the zaku II for me but this guy was specifically going for a HG since he's just starting out.
>>
>>8250857
Shit, didn't realize the HGUC had gotten that expensive. The 2.0 is arguably the best sculpt to date, I'll agree with you on that.
>>
File: 1587907233347.jpg (113 KB, 1884x899)
113 KB
113 KB JPG
>>8250842
>origin zaku
I'm open to suggestions and I see what you mean. But I just don't like the look as I'm not familiar with the lore and just want a classic looking gundam

>>8250845
>>8250857
I do agree as that kit looks really nice. But I would keep that for my second planned build - for now I hear lots of people make mistakes on their first build and I first want to see if I will like gundam

I am going to give the Revive to my little brother as a present after I am done. I thin the revive is a good idea as a beginner kit

With that said - is my cart looking alright for the build? I plan to buy better cutters along with the MG origin for my next purchase

ANY last things I should check or get before I hit order guys? Any markers or anything I'm missing...
>>
>>8250826
Cool, thanks. Looking forward to polishing my polishing skills.
>>
>>8250841
Oh - so I'll have to get a top coat material?.. I'll check that out

>>8250837
What's the black sponge stuff then - is that the wrong thing
>>
>>8248201

Use a small brush and cover up the border with panel lining.
>>
>>8250872
>>8250879
The black sponge thing is right for building and especially for round parts but you need something to polish the nubs after.
https://www.amazon.com/24PCS-Variety-Sandpaper-Assorted-Sanding/dp/B07R64PZ8N
This might help.
Do most of the work with the OLFA knife then go in and sand up to 3000 to make the surface nice and smooth.
>>
>>8250909
Alright just added that to my cart. Does everything else look fine? Anything look bad to you?
>>
>>8250913
Not really, that pretty much covers the basics you need to just build something.
>>
>>8250940
HLJ and other Japanese retailers will have higher shipping that makes up most of the difference. It typically ends up being cheaper to get from them, especially with bulk orders, but it's obviously going to take a little longer etc.
>>
>>8250952
Alright, thanks - I just pulled the trigger on the cart ;D
>>
>>8250955
Well have fun
>>
>Feel free to use photos in this site without permission, only for non-commercial use.
dalong is so fucking based god damn
>>
>>8250964
>he slathers his gunpla in thick ugly panel lines just so you can see all of them clearly
He's like a korean jesus
>>
>>8250981
Considering he uses cigarette packs as size comparisons, his collection probably smells like smoke.
>>
>>8250995
IIRC, he quit smoking. That's why the cigarette packs are pretty beat up now.
>>
I know this is rough, but the Gundam Marchosias has a pretty sick inner frame for an HG.
>>
Anyone built the moon gundam with double funnels? Are there some interesting configurations you can make with 2 sets?
>>
File: image.jpg (797 KB, 1282x665)
797 KB
797 KB JPG
https://mgex.bandai-hobby.net/

MG unicorn modified to fit flexible, color changing LEDs throughout the body
>>
File: image.jpg (87 KB, 500x493)
87 KB
87 KB JPG
>>8251167
>¥25300
>>
>>8251167
Hopefully they improved the articulation and like some anon said, sell it without the LEDs at a good price.
>>
File: 1593650023424.jpg (35 KB, 359x342)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
>>8251167
Reposting this:

Notes on MG Extreme from the website:
>It'll be a new line going forward with one release every 1-2 years.
>Intent of the line is to show off Bandai's engineering.
>Unicorn was chosen both because it's the 10th anniversary and because they felt it'd be a good engineering showpiece.
>They don't explicitly say they're updating it to match the PG/RG, but that's basically it.

Notes on the kit itself:
>The shields have LEDs now.
>The wiring has been swapped out with flexible strips, so unlike the RG the MG EX can safely be played with.
>The original MG frame didn't have space for this, so there's presumable a new frame now.
>They got Katoki to come back and touch up the mold.
>There's proper knee articulation now (I think the same thing the GFF MC has?), and the shoulders can rock back and forth a little.
>They don't call it out, but going by the pictures I think the shoulder transformation has also been revised a little. The top part can flip up.

That all said, the preview pictures don't really show this thing doing much the original MG Unicorn couldn't. It's still all aerial poses/standing in the hangar poses, which to me implies they didn't do anything about the MG Unicorn's terrible feet.

I'd consider it Unicorn v1.5.
>>
I need a gunpla kit that stands out when I have company over. could either be 1/144 or 1/100.
>>
>>8251234
Get a 1/144 Dendrobium or a 1/144 Neo Zeong
>>
>>8251234
MG sazabi ver.ka.
HG penelope
look into megasize models as well.
>>
>>8251194
they did actually improve the articulation by a lot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XKAqUPvXWI
>>
File: bf62_02.jpg (58 KB, 537x800)
58 KB
58 KB JPG
>>8251234
If nothing else, HGBF Winning Fumina will attract attention.
>>
I'm fine with there being a new MG Unicorn since the original kit was really showing its age, but I wish the MGEX wasn't effectively a v1.5. I wanted a proper 2.0 with entirely new gimmicks. Or at least Destroy Unchained.

>>8251219
>It'll be a new line going forward with one release every 1-2 years.

Here's hoping MGEX 2 is Zeta.
>>
>>8251265
>Here's hoping MGEX 2 is Zeta.
Oh god please yes, I'm fucking retarded and I'd pay 30000 yen for one.
It'll most likely be an exia 2.0 with integrated LEDs the same way the PG does it and several inner frame parts of the dynames/kyrios.
>>
>>8251271
I get that Exia is probably Setsuna's most popular suit, but I'd love to see a Qan[T].
>>
>>8251265
A Zeta ver Ka with the anime proportions would be amazing
>>
>>8251219
>(I think the same thing the GFF MC has?)
The GFFMC has the same articulation as the old ver ka unless they newer rereleases updated it
>>
>>8250868
They haven't, retailers are jewing people
>>
>>8251283
I remember getting the GFFMC Banshee Norn and wishing the MG Unicorn had its knees. But I don't think it's what the MGEX is using, you couldn't get a full bend with it.
>>
>>8250308
I sure hope the dude isn't using Honk Konk's special trade status with Japan to get our paints.

With chinks taking over this might be coming to an end.
>>
https://youtu.be/7jesDcNYd0s

PV out. Looks like it has improved articulation and can pull off double jointed knee action.

Was genuinely scared they would fully rehash the old ver ka.
>>
>>8251280
>ver ka
>anime proportions
pick one
>>
File: 81dQ33pS2nL._AC_SL1500_.jpg (150 KB, 1034x1500)
150 KB
150 KB JPG
Any more towering bots like this one? Getting tired of stuff like the RX 78 and the Barbatos.
>>
>>8251328
I know exactly what you want, you want the sazabi ver.ka.
it will dwarf your ZZ ver.ka. a little at least.
>>
>>8251317
The Hi-Nu ver Ka ended up being truer to Izubuchi's original design than Izubuchi's MG
>>
>>8251330
Oh my
>>
File: 2gyf4ln4o1411.jpg (932 KB, 2976x3968)
932 KB
932 KB JPG
Are there any special versions of the RGM-79 GM? I want to make a Squadron with a team leader.
>>
>>8251350
Not really special versions but it has a million variants, some of which recently got new HGUCs. If you mean ace customs, White Dingos, Jack The Halloween have custom colors and decals
>>
File: anonisdumb.jpg (25 KB, 280x572)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
>>8251330
>>8251328
ex-s, the crippled one in a space wheel chair.

>>8251350
pic
>>
>>8251357
Basically I'm looking for a Rex. Something to stand out as the leader but still keeping the same color scheme as the troops.
>>
>>8251328
>>8251234
Both of you want the Penelope.
>>
>>8251372
What the fuck am I looking at
>>
>>8251372
That thing literally looks like a Palkia fused with a Gundam. Anything that looks edgy and menacing?
>>
>>8251372
It looks like what a Transformer stuck mid-Transformation.
>>
File: 30MM-Alto-White-box.jpg (288 KB, 1200x754)
288 KB
288 KB JPG
>>8251370
Oh, easy. Use some accessories from 30 Minutes Missions.
>>
>>8251370
There's nothing like that but there are a bunch of higher end variants like the GM Sniper Custom, GM Sniper II, GM Command, and GM Kai
>>
>>8251374
>>8251377
>>8251381
Shit taste. That is the raw manifestation of "just make it bigger and give it more power." It will bend over all lesser mobile suits and fuck them with its mighty robot dragon cock. Huge power, fast as fuck, and all without psycoframe magic.

>anything that looks edgy and menacing?
I don't know, Dark Matter Exia I guess. Maybe Providence? Testament's getting a P-Bandai MG but I don't think it has a ton of shelf presence. Superior/Ex-S is up there. For HG, there's Kshatriya I suppose.
>>
>>8251393
You look at that Dragon Pancho and tell me it can throw a decent punch!
>>
>>8251370
Look for GM Dominance. It's a P-Bandai MG. It's as close as you'll get to a super special GM. There's probably some other options in HG but none come to mind other than the Pale Riders, I guess, but they aren't in standard GM colours.
>>
>>8251396
Who needs to throw a punch when it can just bodyslam you at mach 5, then haul your puny ass to space under its own power and leave you to die alone
>>
File: download (1).jpg (201 KB, 1341x740)
201 KB
201 KB JPG
>>8251386
>>8251370
This, Just buy a RGM-79 GM since they almost never go for more than $20 in HG and Customize it.
>>
File: Gmg_penelope_2.jpg (644 KB, 2048x2893)
644 KB
644 KB JPG
>>8251393
>and all without psycoframe magic.

It does have a psycommu system though.
>>
>>8251427
>>8251393
>>8251401
Also Penelope (and Xi) were just another crappy scheme by AE to try and trick the EF into spending more money. They didn't like that MS combat was moving away from big expensive MS to smaller, faster, more cost efficient ones so they made the biggest, most budget bloated gundams they could and gave one to a literal terrorist organization to cause havoc with in the hope it would convince the EF of how powerful and worth it they were. It failed miserably and only increased the EFs faith in smaller faster ms.
>>
>>8251438
Smaller MS weren't even on the radar in HF. That entire conflict would come in F90's testing.
>>
File: tn_1235245586270.jpg (29 KB, 600x491)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
>>8251219
>1-2 years for 1 kit
>250 bucks
>inevitably going to be nothing but the bog standard fucking hero suits. Unicorn, Granddaddy, Exia, Strike, etc. Basically Perfect grades under a new name.
>Still no goddamn Zeon suits other than Zaku.
>>
>>8251443
>That entire conflict would come in F90's testing

It started with the heavygun really but yeah I did get my timeline screwed up a bit and emphasized that aspect too much. The main takeaway of the Xi and Penelope is just that they were a scheme by AE to steer the EF into buying bigger and more expensive MS which is why they allowed Mafty to "steal" the Xi.
>>
>>8251427
Sure, but psycommu is a far cry from actual psycoframe.
>>
File: b_b-219549.jpg (92 KB, 597x366)
92 KB
92 KB JPG
>>8251350
Either pick related ot take parts from sets and mix them up like RGM-79G GM Ground Type and RGC-80S GM Cannon
>>
>>8251468
T. Seething Zeek scum
>>
>>8251468
Zeon ms don't have cool glowy bits and fun transformation gimmicks.
>>
Im kind of thinking over getting the REVIVE RX 78 as my first gundam, I don't feel it's worth it for 25$ and lots of people say it has a really ugly white color.

Should I still go through with getting it as my first build or should I go for something more complicated like an MG instead... I like to keep myself engaged more
>>
>>8251611
BUY THE MODEL YOU LIKE.
HG,MG whatever, the cleaning process is the same and all are easy to assemble.
>>
>>8251611
For example I see that instead of the revive (25$)

I can literally get this - which people say is better especially in color for only a couple extra bucks

https://www.amazon.com/Bandai-RX-78-2-Gundam-Real-Grade/dp/B003KX5OXW/

>>8251641
The problem is I have so many options I'm overwhelmed and I don't watch the show or know the lore so that part is kind of lost on me.
>>
>>8251644
>>8251611
go through dalong.net and look at all the entries

Tell us the MS you like most
>>
>>8251647
Do you want me to look through all the grades?
>>
File: 1563108894447.jpg (255 KB, 1897x1064)
255 KB
255 KB JPG
>>8251647
also jesus why are these images so small I can barely see the good detail and if I zoom in it blurs everything up. Does this dude not know css or is my browser fucked
>>
>>8251654
Because they're thumbnails, you should easily be able to determine whether you're interested in a design from that or not.

>>8251651
Whatever you're interested in.
>>
>>8251654
Is this bait? Click on them.
>>
>>8251647
Okay so I just looked at the HG's - although I didn't like much (Especially the revive that I chose) - these few stood out to me pretty well

1. Gundam Ground Type ver.2 (I guess I like the tanky feeling)
2. Blue Destiny Unit 3 "EXAM" (Looks like a close second but I would choose the first one I guess)
>>
>>8251710
Yes I know I'm not an idiot

I just said that his website is not taking up my whole browser screen for some reason. He could take advantage of that space for bigger thumbnails
>>
File: Squad.png (34 KB, 952x257)
34 KB
34 KB PNG
>>8251389
Gonna go with III for the team leader.
>>
Does anyone have the MG Gundam RX-78-2 Version 3.0 on hand? I wanna see how tall they stand before I get him to see if he'd be to scale with my Optimus (7 inches tall).
>>
>>8251807
They'd probably be the same size. Maybe Optimus is a bit taller cuz western toys.
>>
>>8251117
That's pretty much the same frame most all of the IBO kits use. It's a standard thing for the line. I've built it so many times it just seems like whatever to me now, but yes, it is indeed a pretty neat frame in a nicely cheap series of kits.
>>
File: kx72d3a.jpg (2.43 MB, 2448x3264)
2.43 MB
2.43 MB JPG
>>8251328
Get MG The O. She's a thicc and hefty gal, one of my favorite MS designs of all time. Still holds up really well even though it's like 10 years old now. Her assplate is almost unbelievably fat.
>>
Can I drink tamiya cement? It always looks so good.
>>
>>8249972
I personally love DHL. Getting shit from Japan in 2-3 days is beyond amazing, imo.
>>
do you guys ever sell the ones you paint?
>>
>>8251835
>get MG The O
far easier said than done these days unless you want to pay out the ass, it hasn't had a reprint in fucking years and the prices are absurd
>>
>>8252064
Oh wow, guess I snapped mine up and backlogged it just in time (which was a few years ago, mind you). I paid around $130, which was around original retail IIRC. Now it looks like it's 2k on Mandy (and out of stock) or $345 on Amazon. Yikes.
>>
>>8251835
>She's
>>
File: hex45.jpg (291 KB, 882x1194)
291 KB
291 KB JPG
>"Yeah, I buy kits from various companies, lines and series and put actual effort into them - how could you tell?"
>>
>>8250819
The CGUE is almost a 20 year old kit by now. Gunpla has come a long way since then. Generally try anything that came out in the last 5 years if you want a taste of modern engineering. That Grimgerde is good choice.
>>
>>8250730
Use 100% solvent. Discoloration comes from the filler used in most cements to thicken it up a bit. Remember, most cements were made with traditional plain grey model kits in mind that need painting so it was never an issue.
>>
>>8252150
Scirocco refereed to it as such
>>
Anons, which of these should I choose as my first build? Any flaws with any of these?

https://www.amazon.com/Bandai-Hobby-Gundam-RX-78-2-Action/dp/B00CRSXK4Q/

https://www.amazon.com/Bandai-Hobby-RX-79-Ground-Gundam/dp/B079DM7P4G#CustomerImages
>>
>>8252444
Define flaws
In general both are fine and for first time builds always go cheaper, you are going to be bad at it and you don’t want to be deep in the hole. IMO get a cheap $10 kit like a HG GM, Zaku ll, etc.
>>
>>8252457
I can't find a 10$ kit on amazon lol or anywhere near that. Most I'm seeing are 20$+

I was originally considering a 25$ REVIVE RX78 but it just looks like shit due to proportions. Hmm let me find the ones your talking about

Is this the Zaku?
https://www.amazon.com/Bandai-Hobby-Mobile-Gundam-Model/dp/B00030EUQC

https://www.amazon.com/Bandai-Hobby-RGM-79-Mobile-Gundam/dp/B00030EU4E

Although the GM looks decent - It's out of stock and minimum 40$ for some reason
>>
>>8252463
Gunpla deals on Amazon are few and far between, especially now during the pandemic. I'm really not sure what advice to give to someone starting out right now. If you have a local hobby shop, their prices will be a little high, but not as bad as Amazon. Alternatively, you could order from NewtypeHQ, Gundamplanet, or USAgundam store (if you're in the US) as their prices are about what you should be paying.
>>
>>8252463
Dude, if you are shopping on amazon it means you are US, just shop one of the US stores that discount like galactic or Planet Gundam
>>
File: IMG_20200322_220929.jpg (177 KB, 768x1024)
177 KB
177 KB JPG
I am bored. Is Uraven any good?
>>
>>8252485
>>8252519

Damn the thing is I have like 300$ in amazon gc so I'm was just going to use that

But now that I checked the USAGundam site I see way better deals

https://www.usagundamstore.com/products/hguc-1-144-38-rgm-79d-gm-cold-districts-type

In fact I have like 20$ left over to get another one with a 28 dollar gift card I have if I go for that one. What is you all's opinion on the starter kit that gives you a jaku and an rx78.

https://www.usagundamstore.com/products/hguc-gunpla-starter-set

https://www.usagundamstore.com/products/hguc-1-144-40-ms-06f-zaku-2
>>
File: 1571966057789.jpg (94 KB, 1052x1008)
94 KB
94 KB JPG
Never mind - I just went ahead and purchased picrelated. USAplanet gundam and what not had hidden shipping fees. Whatever hope this will be fun!
>>
>>8251835
>MG the O
oh god bandai just fucking reprint it already you fucking faggots
>>
>>8248741
I sent mine to David, in June lol. Hope you’re enjoying the kit m8
>>
>>8249036
A perfect grade wing zero, wiring those LEDs threw through a loop
>>
So
Few minutes ago I sanded dried superglue on a kit without a mask
Is it as bad as resin?
Will I be okay?
>>
>>8252775
you'll be fine
>>
>>8252775

I'm sorry anon. You'll get super glue related super powers.
>>
>>8252564
the starter kit is exactly what it sounds like: a good starting point for the price and parts it gives you. It's a good start to where if you make mistakes twice over you are only $20 out and a little wiser and both kits are a good rep of what most HGs are.
>>
>>8252707
>hidden shipping fees

What? It's standard shipping mate and they have 3 different codes that would take off 10% to 15% which depending on how much you buy would clear out the cost.
>>
File: YPHAzvTdR2lf-_port.jpg (33 KB, 512x512)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
>>8252775
I'm starting to think you are all just making dumb posts to get (You)s
>>
File: 1553531153795.jpg (35 KB, 445x436)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
>>8252707
>had hidden shipping fees

>$19.81for the 9.99 RX you can even get at Hobby Lobby for $7 with coupon.

>$4 Xuron jewelry cutters for 9.15

>$11 for a $5 knife

I don't think you know what a hidden fee is kiddo
>>
>>8248741
>>8248801
Just sent mine off to a Trenton.

But coincidentally mine is coming from a Felix, hoping he is still alive.
>>
>>8252733
Haven't seen it yet, then again don't got access to the mail box atm. Only key in the family is in mom's car for a week.
>>
File: m71_47.jpg (108 KB, 600x521)
108 KB
108 KB JPG
>>8251328
>>8251330
>>8251358
>>8251372
>>8251234
>>8251835
All you bitch boys talking and no one says a word about my lad, Perfect Zeong. The MG that's bigger than PGs. Mad head with feet bigger than a goddamn HG. He's got a fucking broadsword and rocket punches!
>>
File: awp.jpg (3.19 MB, 3968x2240)
3.19 MB
3.19 MB JPG
>>8253051
He is just to good for us
>>
>>8251219
Do gundams like this ever go on sale for like black Friday and shit? I'd buy it at a discount.
>>
>>8253091
Depends on what about the kit appeals to you. I doubt you'll find this specific one at a substantial discount any time soon, but if it's the engineering and transforming aspect that appeals to you, the Real Grade version can be found for under $40. It doesn't have the LEDs, but I'd honestly say it's more impressive than the MG, given that they managed to cram all the same mechanisms into a smaller scale. If it's the LEDs specifically that catch your eye, you're kinda boned unless you're willing to wire up one of the existing kits yourself.
>>
>>8253091
very rarely because they try to produce to meet demand. The kit has to be in very high demand for it to have a chance at a discount past a few dollars
>>
File: f5c268g5vbdj.jpg (221 KB, 600x547)
221 KB
221 KB JPG
>>8253051
>MG that's bigger than PGs
yawn
>>
Is Mark softer absolutely necessary? I just bought a perfect grade and third party waterslides and because all the hobby stores in my country are fucked it's gonna be like $20 to get any here. I know it's supposed to make it easier to wrap the decal around the piece but like, do I have to use it?
>>
>>8253130
which will piss you off more? Wasting the $20 or not but having a few waterslides get ruin or look off?
That's the biggest thing to consider
>>
>>8252932
Broooo did I put Bldg 472 Room 106 Box #4 on the address? If not and it got sent through the USPS I’m completely fucked. I stay on base and delivery sucks ass, They stay on that bullshit 24/7, I’ve literally had to cuss out the lady at the main office cause their driver is too fucking lazy to walk 20ft to my room on the first floor and they lost 4 of packages already. Anyway sorry for the vent, I appreciate you actually buying me something man it means a lot.

>>8252937
Are you in The Monroe Apartments in Tallahassee? If so it should have been there looong ago, I placed that order on the 1st of June.
>>
>>8253130
it really helps imo. it makes the decal softer so it actually lays flat and deform to the surface beneath, which decals normally won't do. It also makes the decal appear thinner with less of a raised edge around the clear border. Have you tried looking for microsol? Same use, different brand. Often a bit easier to find in western countries.
>>
>>8253148
although I will note Mark Softer has gotten me slightly better results than microsol.
>>
>>8253148
Well fuck thanks anon, found it on sale right in my country. Hope it works out!

I just feel buyer's remorse because spending $200 on a kit is kind of insane is all, so I'm trying to be somewhat cheap
>>
>>8253169
my opinion or it working less well is probably just confirmation bias. have fun.
>>
>>8253147
Must be a different David ironically, you getting from a david and sent to a David, boith being different, I am not in tallahesse. You did not originally put a 'box #4' I will see if i still have time to change that for ya.
>>
>>8253182
Damn it, my bad lol. If you let me know when the delivery date is supposed to be, I might be able to preemptively strike before they “attempt” to deliver.
>>
>>8253120
Its also bigger than psycho gundam.
>>
>>8248356
Yea his balance is actually really good
>>
>>8249036
Wayyy back in 2000,a HG Talgeese,recently when i started ,no name astray
>>
>>8253201
I think I got it changed? It's not showing up on the actual order info but it altered the shipping date due to UPS not being able to perform two day shipping to a post box. Maybe I shoulda left it alone lol.

Anyway next week either Thurs or Fri.
>>
>>8249116
Super simple stuff dude,like others said a exacto blade and nippers hell since your a beginner you likly have some small wire cutters lying around you could use.Theres supply kits on ebay/ Amazon for 10 bucks
>>
>>8250063
Lol i noticed that too,what the hell anon,you loosing pieces?
>>
>>8252150
Mobile suits are like ships in my mind. They're always referred to as she.
>>
>>8253462
agreed, my father was a fisherman and I can't shake it off me.
>>
>>8253222
I would hope given that it's 1/100 instead of 1/144.
>>
>>8252021
Yeah, just be careful not to bend over for a while. Once the cement melts the plastic in your stomach, you can end up accidentally seam-welding your intestines.
>>
File: h181_02.jpg (151 KB, 769x800)
151 KB
151 KB JPG
>>8253120
i dont get it.
>>
Is there a difference between the white and orange cap tamiya cement?
>>
>>8253693
post pics of what you are looking at
>>
>>8253700
>>
File: 1357719403409.jpg (26 KB, 427x600)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
>>8253723
white is basic, as in "basic toolset"
orange is "extra thicc"

both have limited usefulness, get pic related instead
>>
Is airbrushing a meme? I tried ot a while back and it just seems like a huge pain in the ass. You have to clean it out every time you want to switch colors and that can make a build take forever it seems.
>>
File: IMG_20200702_232237.jpg (2.39 MB, 4032x3024)
2.39 MB
2.39 MB JPG
>>
File: 1487031409216.jpg (47 KB, 336x454)
47 KB
47 KB JPG
>is XYZ a meme
What is with all the (You) farming in this thread lately?
>>
>>8253832
Extra thin good for removing all seams?
>>
Has anyone ever ordered from Okini Land?
>>
>>8253944
Lmao
>>
>>8253926
Yeah, you just need to use capillary action.
>>
Is plastic a meme? It seems like such a waste compared to the quality of resin.
>>
>>8253957
Alright, what am I not aware of?
>>
https://twitter.com/bonest0223/status/1278912839722229761

sample of mgex unicorn (led effect)
>>
>>8250613
Gundam: The origin is a good place to start desu I find the original anime too dated to watch Im holding out for a HD reanimation other than that the Alternate universe are good 00/IBO have some good animation the Build Fighters/Divers anime are pretty good to watch while building since the show is about building gunpla
>>
>>8254021
>Gundam: The origin is a good place to start
lol
> I find the original anime too dated to watch
Extra lol
You'd probably tell people to watch the prequels before the original trilogy as well.
>>
>>8254053
Nah It Makes more sense to watch the originals first but they actual hold up more than the first 2 prequels because of practical effects.

Sadly yeah the original animes animation is dated its you are just being contrarian if you say otherwise
>>
File: vlcsnap-00001 (3).jpg (187 KB, 960x720)
187 KB
187 KB JPG
>>8254116
>Sadly yeah the original animes animation is dated its you are just being contrarian if you say otherwise
>>
>>8253944
I recently preordered two SHFs from them, they seem legit enough. While I didn't receive either yet they have been following up with me since shipping from Japan is restricted right now. The reviews of them also seem okay-ish and didn't set off my "shill review" alarm much.

So yeah, while I haven't gotten my orders yet, I think they seem legit so far.
>>
>>8254136
>Not an argument
>>
>>8254434
>Not an argument
>>
>>8253926
>>8253962
Or if you are still having a noticeable depression with the capillary just spread the cement on both edges of the parts ten seconds before pressing together. That way you can be sure you got a nice amount of plastic beading out of the seam
>>
>>8253875
This question is so stupid that it really does not deserve an answer but I'm feeling extra kind today.
It's the only way to do a lot of painting techniques and getting a perfect surface for metallics and gloss in general.
Also shading - arguably the best technique for painting.
>>
>>8254021
The origin is garbage but that's not even the worst reason for watching that first, see: >>8250658
>>
>>8254021
>>8254583
Reccing to watch a Prequel first is almost NEVER a better choice then going with the original.
A) the original product did not require watching of a prequel in the first bloody place so clearly its not required watching first in the vast majority of cases
B) Prequels are always made in hindsight. they contain knowledge and information that may either assume you already seen the original or they expand on information in a way that spoils the original for when one gets to it
C)Would you REALLY tell someone to start Star Wars with the prequels? Harry Potter with Fantastic Beasts? Lord of the Rings with the Hobbit?(ONLY referring to the movies, any order at all is fine with the books.)
>>
>>8253875

I just paint large batches of each color at a time. In my experience you don't necessarily need to do a deep clean every time you change colors either.
>>
>>8254798
same here pretty much.
I never deep clean my airbrush between colors because I'm a lazy asshole but never had any problems with it, even metallics.
at max I just bubble 1-2 times and when done take apart my airbrush and clean my needle and spray trough some strong hardware store thinner without the needle.
I should probably treat my eclipse better but she's been serving me well despite my rough usage.
>>
>>8253147
Yooo thats me wtf ill habe to go check i got no confirmation it was delivered. Id get an email if it was dropped off. The office is closed today so i will look tomorrow.

Also california bro i got your stuff i will ship tomorrow!
>>
New thread: >>8255834
>>
>>8255617

Metallics are the exception to the rule for me, I'm autistic about not wanting there to be any metal flakes left when bubbling.
>>
So, if I've got some Super Clear gloss and flat, can I fix them for a custom level of flatness, or does that end up looking weird? I don't even see the semi-gloss in pots.
>>
File: barbatosa.jpg (281 KB, 2048x1152)
281 KB
281 KB JPG
>>8250063
my gf distracted me while i was cutting the gates out of the runner and i accidentally fucked the piece

after i finished that i went a lot bigger into how to actually build and proper nub removal etc and jsut built MG barbatos and i think it turned out really well for my first mg
>>
File: 20150116_517352.jpg (238 KB, 800x600)
238 KB
238 KB JPG
Does this kit still hold up well today? I know it was like the second RE/100 so I'm wondering if it had early-line growing pains.
>>
>>8257294
It's fine. It even has alternate hands, so it's better than most RE100s that came later.
>>
>>8257294

I have it, it's good (nowhere MG tier). And yeah, it comes with a pair of alternate hands.
GunEZ is still the best RE100 I've built though.
>>
I need a scary mobile suit kit. Was looking for the end gundam, but he is being scalped like crazy on Amazon /eBay and sold out everywhere else.
>>
>>8257294
foot articulation is weird and the pegs that attach the shoulders on are a little short i think, i have two of this kit and after rotating the shoulders i have to make sure to push them back on all the way cos they like to come off.

but these are hardly real issues desu. it's a good kit.
>>
>>8257294
What kit is this
>>
>>8257742
RE100 Gundam Mark III.
>>
God I wish they could make a 2.0 of Psycho Gundam
>>
>>8257294

If it's a Gundam and it doesn't transform, it's going to be fine, my man.
>>
>>8257573
>GunEZ is still the best RE100 I've built though.
Mind if I ask why? I'm not doubting, it just looks really simple and straightforward to me so I'm wondering what you enjoyed most about it.
>>
Are there any washes that are safe on bare plastic?
>>
>>8260166
I mean, you can always thin down some acrylic and make your own wash. That's always gonna be safe.
>>
>>8260166
IIRC Mr Weathering Color is.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.