[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / vrpg / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/toy/ - Toys

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 93 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

New board: /vrpg/ - Video Games/RPG

Anyone here make their own figures from scratch? I'm starting a new project to get some practice in to eventually make my own glyos line.
Post your projects.
>>
>>8145184
>to eventually make my own glyos line.
cringe
>>
>>8145184
enjoy your lawsuits.
>>
>>8145273
i cast o-ring joes,2 years no lawsuits lo
>>8145184
what do you need to know? the best advise i can give is buy a pressure pot and vacuum chamber. also study! youtube vids and forums
>>
>>8145295
are you black major?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1Ag7QGP-rg
>>
>>8145273
1) That only happens if OP doesn't stop after the C&D order. You can get away with the sale of copyright stuff in a very limited run batch and stop as soon as you get the cease and desist. I knew a guy who made a 3D printed batch of like 7 scale replicas of one of the Star Trek Enterprises (forgot which one he did) and sold a limited batch of them at a con in a one-time event, never selling any again. He netted several thousand from the total sale that weekend and didn't get in trouble.

2) OP could get away with a his own line that mimics but is not identical to Glyos. If the sculpts are unique enough and the engineering isn't identical (different joint diamters, designs, etc) then he should have no problems.
>>
>>8145184
Are you the crafsman?
>>
>>8145377
>>8145273
It's not hard to get Doughty's approval to use glyos joints, especially for small run resin stuff. And if op ever makes it to full production, he'd need to be doing so in collaboration with Doughty anyway
>>
>>8145273
I plan to go through the legal channels. I'm not going to just sell whatever I make like I live in China.
>>8145295
I watch The Crafsmsn and some other independent creators.
>>8145377
Using a different peg system was my plan b should things not go well.
>>8145551
No just a fan of his.
>>
>>8145568
Yeah I love the crafsman too. As a matter of fact I was just thinking today how I'd like to start crafting my own figures as well.
>>
>>8145355
No i make repros and heads mostly
I do make full bats sometimes
>>
File: 20200403_033219.jpg (3.87 MB, 4128x3096)
3.87 MB
3.87 MB JPG
>>8145592
I've been drafting designs for a couple of months now and was just about to pickup a trial batch of smooth cast 45D to start casting some small pieces. Craftsman was an inspiration for me too. Was lucky to get one if these Aguas.
>>
>>8145184
you got any questions about casting ask Marty.
>>
>>8145273
>fuck off gatekeeper you have no power here
>>
I have been designing my own stuff for a few months and have dabbled in moldmaking and casting with mixed results. I definitely need to finish putting together my pressure pot before casting again. My main problem is getting resin to flow all the way the the extremities of my molds, which is proving difficult. Any tips? I'm getting big airbubbles at the "tips" of every part of my figures.
>>
>>8146834
Here's one of my early sculpts from a few months ago, the resin cast didn't turn out great for the aforementioned reason. I was inspired by Crafsman as well.
>>
>>8146838
I live in Australia btw.
>>
>>8146834
Add vents in your mold anywhere you are developing air bubbles. More flashing, but better results.
>>
-if youre making a 2 part mold, use Vaseline and a small paint brush to coat one half before pouring the second haof of the mold. Spray release is essentially aerosole vaseline but needs ventilation and multiple coats, brushed on vas works just as well
-brush/coat the inside of your mold with baby powder when you are ready to cast. It works as a mold release, prolongs your mold from falling apart, helps with diffusing small air bubbles
-if youbdont degass your silicone just add extra steps if you want to use a pressure pot to cast. The pressure will push the resin into air bubbles close to the surface of your work and it will come out spiny. Get around this by turning 2 pours (1 for each half) into 4 pours. First pour a thin layer so the air bubbkes can easily rise to the surface and pop leaving you with no pockets new your figure. Pour a second thicker layer over that for the structure.
-dont forget to save old molds you screwed up. Chops these molds into tint bits for fikker to save on silicone you will need
-if you dont already own an air compressor and only need one for casting and arent planning on really needing the investment, a bike pump can be fit to go into a pressure pot and can reach the psi recommended for casting in about 30 seconds give or take depending if you are confident you can pump fast enough. You can also fill the pot with other materials to cut down on volume you need to fill.

>pobably spent hundreds trying to cut corners and re-invent the wheel jusf to cast titty figs when the basics work for a reason
>>
>>8145184
>Hurr i want to make Glyos because i watched le crafsman
Please neck yourself
>>
>>8151981
A more low T post has never been typed. Congratulations, loser, for making your average 4chan poster look like a gigachad by comparison. What a useless faggot you are.
>>
>>8146818
Who are you quoting?
>>
Mold release is a complete meme and is unnecessary if you're casting resin in a rubber mold.
>>
>>8152445
Aw someone's feelings were hurt
>>
>>8151981
>>8152572
>/b/ was my first board
>>
>>8152475
i cast and my silicone molds do not last
tell me more about this rubber you speak of.
>>
I noticed that we don't have a customs thread, so I'll ask my question here:
what is the best mold material to use to cast silicone in? I want to create soft silicone lewd figures, so I sculpted a figure out of wax, and I'm trying to find the right material to make a mold of the wax figure, and then pour platinum silicone into the mold to create soft figures. I tried using DAP plaster but it is brittle and doesn't hold up to multiple castings.
>>
>>8152789
You can cast silicone with silicone. Just flush the mold with water and soap then let dry before using.
>>
>>8152789
i use platsil 73-15 from brick in the yard supply
>>
>>8152797
>>8152810
I've tried molding my wax model with platinum silicone, the mold was all sticky and tacky. What should I use to seal the wax model?
>>
Is this 550g kit enough to make a mold for a 6.5 inch sculpture?
>>
>>8153406
Seems small to me, you might want to go bigger because it really sucks to pour a mold only to have it go up to your toy's shoulders. But I could be wrong, I'm not super familiar with metric measurements. I know what a gram is and all, just can't really visualize 550 grams as liquid.
>>
>>8153406
Doesnt look close to even being enough, half a mold at most
>>
>>8152957
You could try Krylon matte clear but I would use a different material for your sculpt to be honest.
>>
>>8154607
The figure is sculpted out of Monster Clay, and at the moment that's all I got.
>>
What's the cheapest way to make a mold for a figure?I only want to cast it once so silicon is a bit of a waste and i'm not sure if plaster will be detailed enough for the size i'm working with.
>>
>>8155448
How big and detailed is the figure?
Do the parts detach like figma/Revoltech/Figuarts?
>>
File: asdasdasd.jpg (307 KB, 1280x720)
307 KB
307 KB JPG
>>8155821
It's one of the halo figures.I don't care about the articulation.
>>
>>8156026
In that case heat the limbs and pop off the segments of the body with hot (non-boiling) water. For liquid silicone this means you can make small molds for each part so that you won’t have to recast the whole figure if there is an issue with individual sections. I personally use silicone putty that you hand-mix and wrap around parts to make significantly smaller molds, though I also use epoxy putty for castings rather than liquid resin.
>>
>>8152789
>lewd figure
P...p...pics.... please?
>>
You gotta invest in a vacuum chamber
Just checked prices and around 250
Jesus all the material and tools I better sell some what I make
>>
>>8157736
I'd highly recommend a pressure pot instead of a vac chamber. You can easily convert a Harbor Freight paint pot into a pressure pot for resin casting. If you use one of their 20% off coupons you can nab one for like $80. Total cost for me after the fittings and other attachments was still under $100.
>>
>>8146841
Anon this looks great it keep up the good work
it reminds me of metal slug
I would buy a cast for sure
>>
>>8145216
>Contributes nothing
>Achieves nothing
>Aspires to be nothing more than what he is
>Worthless consoomer

Anon, you are far more cringe than OP will ever be. Just shut the fuck up and go buy a Funko Pop and act like you're doing something with your life you worthless piece of shit.

OP, good for you, you're growing as a person and as an artist.
>>
>>8145551
Crafsman is one cool dude. Our generations Bob Ross.
>>
>>8151981
Crab in a bucket. Can't claw your own way out of your own filth so you try to drag others down with you. OP could be a drooling tard and I'd still have more respect for him than you could ever earn. Grow the fuck up.
>>
>>8157960
Thanks so much anon! I love Metal Slug, it definitely was my inspiration for his proportions and other stuff
>>
>>8155448
Look up bluestuff or epoxysculpt
>>
>>8157796
>>8157736
Pressure pot was what I was leaning towards more
>>
>>8155448
Is 30 bucks to expensive for what you want? The smooth on trial sizes actually get you quite a bit of silicone for that price. The pictures online arent a good judge of quantity but parts A and B combined you get roughly 2 1/2-3 20oz coke bottles worth
>>
>>8152789
>>8152797
Not anon looking for suggestions but I had a mold and spare silicone so i went ahead and tested this out. Left is the Vaseline i use as a mold release while right is a 50/50 soapy water mix brushed on two coats and let to dry. This also a tin cure silicone with a shore hardness of 25 A so stiffer than a platinum cure would be
>>
>>8152773
>/b/ was my first board
nta but unless you're a newfag who came here after 2007, /b/ was everyone's first board.
>>
>>8162799
>it's a futa torso-anon episode
How I missed these.
>>
>>8162799
10/1 is the ratio of water to soap you needed to use.
>>
>>8163328
Are you sure that's a 10 parts water and 1 part soap? That's even less soap than what I used and the silicone fused right through the wash.
>>
I resin cast my own toys ! Honestly not that hard of a process , it’s just about buying the right tools for the job (pressure pot and vacuum chamber ) and making sure you add the proper vents to your molds . Here are casts fresh out of their silicone molds and I hardly get any bad flashing or super thick seams doing cut molds. I design and sculpt the toys on my own as well.
>>
>>8164067
>Honestly not that hard of a process
>>
>>8164067
Could you roughly lay that out to see the assembly in greater detail?
>>
>>8164204
This is the master sculpt assembled together ( I make BJDs)
>>
>>8145592
Newb here. Who is the craftsman? A YouTube show?
>>
>>8164231
Fuck dude that's really cool. I like her figure rather much.
>>
>>8164272
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycr9bpO-czI

This was the video I was introduced to him by, and I think he's amazing. Check him out.
>>
>>8164294
Thank you! I'm doing a little series of zodiac dolls, next one is going to be a stupid long naga girl after I finish casting these figures.
>>
>>8164231
where do you sell these? I want one.
>>
File: bunny render.png (210 KB, 515x841)
210 KB
210 KB PNG
>>8164944
I sell them through my website and advertise through instagram. Pre-orders have been filled so I won't be releasing them again until I finish resin casting these orders!

you can check them out at digi-dolls.com
>>
>>8163380
I'm pretty positive that's the ratio.
>>
>>8162799
>>8163380
Actually my fault. That's for releasing concrete. Silicone is 2/1 isopropyl alcohol and soap.
>>
>>8165691
That did the trick, not as smooth of a release as vaseline but its much more useful to get into deep parts of a mold you cant reach or see with a brush
>>
>>8164974
Awesome! Im looking forward to the robot one your doing! How do you get the holes threw the limbs? It seems like the silicone would get stuck.
>>
bump
>>
bumpin with a wip sculpt I had going last month
>>
>>8166988
I plug the holes with clay before casting. if you plug the center of the tunnel the silicone wont get stuck and can easily slide out, you just gotta be careful with demolding.
>>
>>8148947
reusing filler silicone just seems to add to the air bubbles in my molds
>>
>>8145746
Those are cool as hell anon
>>
File: 20200523_161716.jpg (886 KB, 2560x1440)
886 KB
886 KB JPG
So this isnt really a toy but I definitely am doing that after working on a mask. I'm planning on doing a brush on mold for slush casting. Does anyone have any tips for doing a brush on mold?
Pic is the mask, first time sculpting and pretty happy with how it came out
>>
you guys ever fuck around with that plastic that melts at a low temp? that stuff is fun. and so is that clay that hardens into super high-temp metal.
>>
Bump
>>
File: 20200510_212435.jpg (885 KB, 2560x1440)
885 KB
885 KB JPG
>>8177271
Bumping
I went ahead and added a blob behind the eyes for easier mold making
Might leave the "eyes" for some casts
Pic is what it started as
>>
>>8177081
What ive been doing is when i mix up a cup of silicone ill pour a layer ontop of tbe mokd first and then with silicone still in the cup ill add the chopped up pieces and mix it all together then pour that in. If you are putting the bits into the mold and pouring over that its reaply only going to work out of you have a vacuum chamber to pull the bubbles out of all the small pockets. Its not going to be perfect but addinf a few extra steps minimizes bubbles
>>
>>8175180
Thank you, what about when you recast in resin? Do you just drill it out?
>>
>>8178675
Yeo I just use my Dremel and drill it out! It doesn't take that long to hollow all the pieces out again!
>>
File: op.png (48 KB, 360x373)
48 KB
48 KB PNG
>>8151981
>>8145273
>>8152572
go back to your containment board
>>
>>8179156
what board would that be
>>
wip
>>
>>8181492
neato!
>>
>>8178343
My first casting!
Tomorrow I'm planning to put on oxidizing spray for another layer of weathering
>>
File: 20200527_205209.jpg (1.08 MB, 2560x1440)
1.08 MB
1.08 MB JPG
>>8181688
Forgot the pic sorry
>>
>>8158120
F yeah
>>
>>8158120
cringe
>>
>>8181692
Nice
>>
File: 20200528_152126.jpg (1.17 MB, 2560x1440)
1.17 MB
1.17 MB JPG
>>8181692
Threw on some top coat
>>
bump
>>
bump
>>
Finished building my harbor freight pressure pot today, now to shop around for a good deal on an air compressor. I wish this kind of thread was more common, it's fun to see others' progress
>>
>>8191842
We have a custom thread, it was dead for a while but its back now >>8170429
>>
>>8164067
"not that hard"
>>half decient mold

shutup with this voodoo, care to share any resouces? mine look like bubbly ass
>>
>>8181492
Here's the first cast of him, with a very rough blackwash to make the details come through. Really fizzy, but no major bubble problems on the surface.
>>
>>8194186
And the back
>>
>>8193006
I still stand by it this was my first silicone(had to make 7 box molds to cast the whole doll) mold I made and first time resin casting with it! And honestly I rewatched the crafsman videos on YouTube and Rubinator (he makes dice molds) . I also like Steve ferreras art toy videos!

Then ofcourse you gotta do everything you can to reduce bubbles like mixing calmly to not introduce new bubbles, try to use less viscous silicone , degas your silicone until all the big bubbles let out , pour into the mold from a high point and until the silicone is a very thin stream , like super thin to stretch and pop bubbles etc. I also looked at wip photos from harucasting to see how he sets up his mold and how he orients his parts to prevent bubbles from getting entrapped.

If your resin is bubbly make sure your using new products because resin expires fast, work in a humidity below 50%,tap or vibrate your molds, make sure to add air vents when you notice big bubbles are getting entrapped, and a pressure pot helps a ton. Also get a resin with a long pot life, gives it more time for the bubbles to float up(my resin has a 20min pot life)
>>
bump
>>
>>8146838
That's really good. How long have you been sculpting? And how long did that Alien Hominid sculpt take you?
>>
>>8195614
Thanks anon! I've been sculpting now for five months, but that was from about three months ago. I made a mold of that sculpture, I might refine it some more down the line when I've gotten better at it.
>>
>>8195614
Oh, and it took me a couple of weeks before I called it finished. Looking at it now, it probably could have used some more work.
>>
>>8194188
>>8194186
I colored the resin with turmeric powder on this one, I'm wondering if anyone else has ideas on how to color resin with stuff around the house.
>>
Once you've made something that has generated some interest and you think you can sell some of 'em, what method do you all think is best for selling? Paypal transactions based on instagram DMs, making an etsy store, making your own website, etc.
>>
>>8145551
Crafsman represents all that is good in this world
>>
bump
>>
>>8197380
>turmeric powder
That's ingenious.

>>8198525
How/why is there that "bubbly" pattern to the structure of the mold?
>>
>>8203969
It's to key the mold together. they probably used ball bearings during the mold making process on the first half.

The more points you have that interlock the better aligned the mold will be.
>>
>>8164231

Something about the body feels eerie. Very solid craftmanship otherwise. Nice work.
>>
>>8204010
That makes sense, but I'm having a hard time visualising how they made both the positive and negative impressions of the pattern in the mold while the figure itself is two negative impressions.
>>
File: FSYL8276.jpg (589 KB, 1703x2271)
589 KB
589 KB JPG
>>8145184
It's not a full sized figure, but I've built some stuff from broken bits and wire armatures for tabletop games.

Here's a swamp demon I put together.
>>
File: TZRR0493.jpg (599 KB, 2447x1377)
599 KB
599 KB JPG
>>8206494
Here's another one. A sort of flesh twisted man serpent I put together using a broken Drantini toy and some leftover Warhammer bits a friend gave me.
>>
>>8206449
Say you want to mold a simple block. You take a hunk of clay and push the block in and leave it but around that block you carve or push shapes into the clay so you have a negative space in the clay. After you pour your silicone over all that and it dries you flip it over and pull off the clay, now you have a hunk of silicone with the block embedded in it and positives of the shapes you're put into the clay. You pour nore silicone over the top of that so when that dries you have negatives of the positive shapes and negatives in both halves of the block
>>
>>8206581
That's what I was thinking, but I didn't know whether liquid silicone would adhere to the already dried silicone.
>>
>>8206601

Yes, it does, which is why you spray it with mold release (or an extremely thin layer of talc if you're cheap).
>>
>>8145356
Crafsman is comfy AF
>>
>>8206617
Ive tried talc when looking for alternatively to spray release and doesnt work acts like there was nothing there. Best alterntives are vaseline or the mentioned before dish soap disolved in rubbing alchocol
>>
>>8206617
>>8206719
How does mold release effect the tolerances of the mold, since it does technically possess a thickness.
>>
>>8209221
Same way you can compare air brush paint to brush on paint, spray release is a fine aerosol so any tolerance effect is negligible. Brush on is pretty negligible as well as long as you brush it evenly the only tolerance you need to worry about is where the two halves meet at the cast
>>
>>8209221
I would say you lose about 2 micros thickness
>>
>>8209334
>>8209564
Thanks for answering my question!
>>
>>8206494
>>8206495
These are really fucking cool, anon. Great work
>>
>>8206494
>>8206495
Great use of upcycling, those look great. I particularly like the skull embedded into the swamp demon's hip and the secondary tail-dude on the man serpent; how did you get that texture for the skin of the man serpent?
>>
>>8198525
I sold my work through payment transactions through dms on twitter and instagram. If you hate having your profits cut with the double dip of taxes from etsy/ebay plus PayPal then go that route.

The main benefit for using etsy is that "exposure".
>>
>>8145568
Any headway on that project? What exactly are you planning?
>>8145746
How'd those trial pieces come out?
>>8146834
Get that pressure pot put together?
>>8152789
Did any of the suggestions help?
>>8153406
What are you thinking of sculpting, anon?
>>8155448
Are you making a statue, too?
>>8174847
Nice little dino, how's it coming along?
>>8183373
What's the mask for, a cosplay or just something you wanted to make? What are you thinking of working on next?
>>8191842
Find an air compressor? Whaddya have planned?
>>8194186
Made any subsequent castings?
>>8206494
Have you ever crafted any miniatures entirely from scratch?
>>
>>8214140
>Made any subsequent castings?
I've actually taken the original model and given him very detailed hands and a much more detailed gun. I'm still tweaking it, but once it's done and my air compressor finally arrives from harbor freight, I'll do a final production mold and cast and post it here. I'm aiming to gather interest online and sell them in waves, maybe make it into a line in itself with other characters and such.
>>
My attempt at a Sanrio style character. I'll posts progress pics of the sculpt.
>>
File: IMG_20200610_160044.jpg (2.13 MB, 4160x3120)
2.13 MB
2.13 MB JPG
>>8215048
>>
File: 1592025332117.jpg (2.48 MB, 3333x5000)
2.48 MB
2.48 MB JPG
>>8215049
Two part plaster mold. I'll cast it in resin, sand and smooth it. Then make a silicone mold of the final product.
>>
File: received_688983291922474.jpg (131 KB, 2048x1435)
131 KB
131 KB JPG
>>8215171
Woops wrong pic.
>>
Bump
>>
Bump
>>
>>8215049
>>8215048
cute fatty
>>
File: IMG_20200616_160342.jpg (552 KB, 1778x1860)
552 KB
552 KB JPG
Made a goblin of sorts
>>
>>8215048
>>8215049
A qt lil chonker.
>>8219864
Very expressive, neat.
>>
File: mimp2_01.jpg (477 KB, 1024x667)
477 KB
477 KB JPG
>>8145184
Question, is it possible to make som rubber minis? What pouring material exist?
>>
File: IMG_20200616_191241.jpg (427 KB, 1263x1901)
427 KB
427 KB JPG
>>8220063
Yes you can make squishy figures with certain types of resin, craftman has a video on it.
>also why do these monsters have boobs
>>
>>8220063
crafsman's newest video is about using hard molds, and he casts with a variety of rubbery materials. You should check it out
>>
I used crafsmans videos to learn a ton about mold making when I started making toys in 2018. Anyone who is even remotely interested should do it. The supplies are pretty accessible and there needs to be more toy makers in the world!
>>
can you do good AAA figures on your own?
>>
File: 20200615_132837~2.jpg (465 KB, 1572x2446)
465 KB
465 KB JPG
I'm in the progress of casting this sculpture. I didn't take any progress photos of the final sculpt so you'll have to wait untill the silicone hardens
>>
>>8220251
Ok, thx. Are there any spcial names for the resin?
>boobs
Top is a witch, bottom is crouching and you see his knees.

>>8220290
Thx for the info. Have to search that on youtube
>>
File: 20200617_123028~2.jpg (546 KB, 1761x2478)
546 KB
546 KB JPG
>>8220614
Came out of the mold real easy with bag balm lol
>>
File: 20200617_222921~2.jpg (1.8 MB, 3264x2448)
1.8 MB
1.8 MB JPG
>>8221518
A clear silicone cast. It definitely needs to be tinted but I tried injecting the silicone into another silicone mold and it wasn't fully cured when I removed it. New mold coming soon
>>
>>8221518
At first i thought it is a head, but now? A seahorse?

>>8222407
Cant see anything. I see some clear lump.
>>
File: IMG_20200617_131002.jpg (3.22 MB, 3120x4160)
3.22 MB
3.22 MB JPG
>>8215174
So I fucked up with the resin cast because I'm retarded. I only found out later that you're supposed to seal and dry the plaster before pouring in any casting material. So when the resin dried up it stuck the two plaster halves together. I had to break open the plaster molds and lost an ear and an arm. There was still some plaster stuck to the resin that was hard to remove so I had to use a dremel, resulting in may scratches and holes.
>>
File: IMG_20200617_131010.jpg (2.99 MB, 3120x4160)
2.99 MB
2.99 MB JPG
>>8222735
>>
File: received_2787660628130622.jpg (114 KB, 2048x1435)
114 KB
114 KB JPG
>>8222738
To fix this I'm using epoxy putty to replace the lost parts and to act as a filler. I'll be sanding and smoothing it down afterwards. Then I'll add the arms and tail.
>>
>>8222741
>>8222738
>>8222735
I've never worked with plaster before, but it seems like a bitch. Have you ever tried platinum based silicone rubber?
>>
>>8223050
Plaster's easy. Resin is hard to cast in it because you have to dry and seal the plaster first or else the resin will stick (like it did to my first cast). Tho it's not recommend for sculpts with lots of details and protruding parts, just use it for simple shapes. Not sure what platinum based silicone rubber is bit I will be using silicone for the final polished stage of this sculpt. Only reason why I used plaster was so I could make a proto resin cast that I could sand (since I can't achieve maximum smoothness with the clay I'm using).
>>
Bump
>>
>>8222741
What's the advantage of going to all this trouble mending the borked cast instead of just remaking and properly sealing a second plaster mold, was this all the resin you had?
>>8222407
Waitan for an update, I wanna see what this is.
>>
>>8228761
I thought about that, but this isn't too time consuming. The purpose of this step is so that I have a model to sand ans smooth so that it cane be polished when it'll be molded in silicone.
>>
>>8222735
>>8222738
>>8222741
>>8223050
Damn
I need a vacuum sealer?
Those things cost a fortune, right?
>>
>>8232432
The king of random build one, check his chanel, also there are many vids of how to build one
>>
>>8158117
absolutely seething
>>
>>8232432
It's definitely worth the investment but I'm too poor for that.
>>
File: received_570073513903480.jpg (89 KB, 2048x1435)
89 KB
89 KB JPG
>>8222741
Added the arms and sprayed with primer to see if there are any holes I still have to cover up.
>>
File: image0 (1).jpg (653 KB, 2016x1512)
653 KB
653 KB JPG
I've been getting booths at local zine/comic conventions to sell mostly comics but also little 3D printed robots. I want to get back to 3D printing but ever since I graduated I haven't had access to any printers (sucks too since the one I was using was dirt cheap to print with). I've been thinking about putting up them on my site and spend a few months saving up enough money to either get my own printer or make resin casts out of them. I call them Squatbots
>>
File: image0-(1).jpg (69 KB, 600x800)
69 KB
69 KB JPG
>>8238215
shit, my bad
>>
File: 20200619_204858.jpg (2.34 MB, 3264x2448)
2.34 MB
2.34 MB JPG
>>8228761
This was removed from my new silicone mold and tinted silicone cast. The setup time on this is pretty fast. I'm looking for some cheap neutral silicone to start using because the ammonia is too much
>>
File: image0.gif (334 KB, 119x136)
334 KB
334 KB GIF
>>8238215
>>8238219
I'm feelin' it.
>>
1. where should i go first to learn about the process of casting stuff?

2. does it make more sense to sculpt your own prototype? Or do 3d print a design you make yourself?
>>
>>8198532
Truth
>>
>>8243538
Look up manufacturing techniques and casting defects that can occur when casting a lot of those will apply to resin casts which I'm assuming you'll be doing. To your second question that's all about your work pipeline and what you prefer. there's many different ways to do it and you've identified two of them it's just going to be up to you to experiment with those to find which one you're better with
>>
>>8146841
>>8157960
>>8158129
Well you nailed it, I instantly though of metal slug as well. Fantastic outcome! Seems like a very fun style to sculpt. Are you experienced or a novice? Any tutorials you can point me towards to get started?
>>
>>8238219
I like this little guy. Soulful design.
>>
>>8243770
Thanks so much! I am a beginner, just started sculpting in January. I recommend watching Crafsman's "sketch to sculpt" video on youtube. That's what got me started on making toys. I thought because he uses a puppet it would be a childish youtube channel, but most of his videos are actually really informative. He'll show you how to get a rough idea of what you want to sculpt, how to sculpt it, and how to finish and make a mold of your model as well. I use oil based clay, but he uses sculpey, either type works but there will be differences in the process.
>>
>>8243762
well i would rather shoot low and complete a project that isnt overly ambitious or difficult to get my feet wet. I realize part of the choice of using resin or some sort of plastic or other material would probably ne if its well suited for the shape of what im making. I would rather design a shape or character or object well suited for the easiest casting material first, and work from there. So i dont really have anything specific in mind about what i want to make quite yet. What is the easiest material and process to start with in general?
>>
>>8243111
>>8244248
Thanks! I got plenty of extras if anyone wants one
>>
Does anyone know if there is a somewhat soft clear resin?
>>
>>8247698
Like a 4/5 hardness

5 rock hard
1 rubber soft
>>
>>8246912
What exactly inspired those little dudes, was it Bonkles?
>>
>>8251092
yep
>>
Never posted my finished resin casts of my animal dolls. Pretty proud of them!
>>
>>8254904
hot
>>
>>8254904
Very cool. For a second, I thought there were skulls in their eyes.
>>
>>8254904
More please
>>
I've done a lot more work on this guy, and my air compressor finally came which has helped immensely. What you can't see is his back which has more details and a small rocket beside his breathing apparatus. I sanded most surfaces to a near-gloss finish, leaving areas a bit rougher where I imagined the material had a different texture, and started to make this two part mold for him when I realized (too late) I only had enough silicone for one half of it. So he's sitting on my desk now halfway encased in rubber while I wait for more to come, hopefully soon but amazon says two weeks. Anywho, making good headway on the project. I got some pigment for future casts, so I'll get to make all types of different colors. I think it'll be a fun little figure to paint, maybe in 40k marine colors or other affectionate sci fi references.
>>
bump
>>
>>8256894
Can't wait to see where you go with it!
>>
>>8157796
>harbor freight pot
>blows up and takes out your entire family
>>
>>8265644
I've been scared of getting one for that exact reason, is it a meme or should I get a different brand instead?
>>
>>8267217
I have one and it's worked fine so far. I never go above 30 psi, though. It is kinda spooky to use if you have an active imagination, but there are plenty of people online who use them for years with no issue. Use your best judgment.
>>
Rough painted prototype. Hoping to sell this as an army builder once I get it just right.
>>
>>8269559
Old and new.
>>
>>8269565
>>
>>8269568
Last one for now, sorry for spamming.
>>
>>8269559
>>8269565
>>8269568
>>8269571
You're good, mate, looks nice!
>>
>>8145184
good shit
>>
>>8269651
Thanks anon :)
>>
stah wahs?
>>
>>8275521
Yih, Stah Wahs. The 3 good movies only, though ;)
>>
bump
>>
>>8277468
>Jar Jar Binks colorways >>8269559
>>
>>8285733
I guess if there's a demand lol
>>
>>8286462
Fuckin couldn't resize it and it flipped. Typical
>>
>>8286474
they're multiplying
>>
>>8286474
>>8269565
>>8269559
What are you selling these for?
>>
>>8293001
I dunno how much shipping the thing is going to cost or how I'll package it, so not sure yet. Maybe $15-$25 each, depending on if they're painted or not. Maybe I'll sell 2-3 packs only for like $25-$35, dunno
>>
>>8295230
Any ideas what alt colourways you might try yet?
>>
>>8302203
Not just yet, but I was thinking of incorporating multiple colors at once to see what kind of patterns I can get. Might try filling halfway with one color, letting it cure, then pouring with another et cetera. I made one a few weeks back that accidentally turned the exact same pink color as bubble gum, you'd swear you could chew it until you held it in your hand. That gave me the idea to make some the color of jawbreakers, pic related.
>>
>>8198525
like Squarespace
many youtubers recommend me this
>>
>>8306444
I rather like the jawbreaker idea.
>>
>>8295230
USPS has a variety of sizes of regional boxes you can get for free and if theyre thin enough you can get away with shipping it in a flat pack at the cheapest cost cross country. I use regional box A which at most is 12 bucks from east coast to west coast or 7 bucks in my own zone (also look up the shipping zones the states are broken up into) and a general brown craft paper for general item wrapping before boxing it up. Everything ive shipped this way has had no problems or damage and gets there within a couple days
>>
>>8295230
Looks pretty neato, keep it up
>>
>>8238891
Any success on your silicone search?
>>
Any 3D printerfags here?
>>
I took all of the measurements to make these pieces, though I feel like I could instead make vectors of the photos.
How do you guys recommend I start passing it to Solidworks?
>>
File: ayiyiyi el macromedio.jpg (222 KB, 1280x984)
222 KB
222 KB JPG
>>8311735
oops
>>
Still waiting for 3D printer to go down in price and have better resolution. Maybe in a 5 years or so. If they can produce these now I'm sure in the near future they can produce near production quality prints.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpNJlmqGJp8
>>
>>8311903
I've always wondered how the balancing act between early adopters and those waiting for things to improve effects the development and adoption of technologies like this.
>>
>>8306444
Any updates?
>>
>>8306444
>>8320894
Guess not! Hope things are comin' along.
>>
>>8145184
I duplicate old garage kits all the time.
>>
>>8323065
I played around the other day with some different colors, still trying to find some interest on instagram but my posts only get ten or so views. And my parents said they look unfinished, which sucks. I don't have a background in design, gonna start watching some design theory videos on youtube in my free time to try to improve. I still like the little guy a lot, hopefully I can figure out how to make him work. As for the jawbreaker colors, I will still be trying that, but I need to spring for some more acrylic paint. Currently selling much of my toy collection on ebay to fund my toymaking projects.
>>
>>8327218
The one on the far right, I used a more flexible resin and poured three separate times, alternating colors. Obviously, the results were a bit mixed. I like the idea, but I should have poured less black I think to make it look cleaner. I have some more ideas, I'll post results here as I go.
>>
>>8327218
I suppose I can see why'd they say they look unfinished, but honestly that ultimately that discretion resides with you: particularly with "art toys", which these really are, a rough-hewn aesthetic can be entirely intentional and valid.
>>
>>8327224
I might also've given him a bit more of the yellow on the bottom, but as it is you've come very close to giving him a nice pair of pants.
>>
glyos is dead lol
>>
>>8327412
It's tough, I don't know what more they need, but I do have a couple of ideas for like small red stamp-able insignias on their shoulder or somewhere else, maybe paint the air hoses a rubber-color, probably paint the gun a different color, and so on.
>>8330698
Oh hell yes, I definitely wanted the bottom part to have more yellow. I just poured the wrong ratios, but I have a better method now that should avoid that problem. But it gave me a couple of ideas for the future. I think with my supplies I can do a pretty good Tatooine sunset color combination, with a gradient from blue down to pink down to orange, and I might be able to embed two small spheres in the clear part near the top.
>>
Maybe one of you guys can help me out.
I'm trying to cast resin dice and the degassing is driving me insane. My setup is that I have a 3mm rod stuck into the master die to serve as a the single sprue. I'd like to stick to one-part-molds, which means I can't really have a second sprue channel to drive out some of the air.
I'm already degassing the resin in a vacuum before pouring, but it just isn't enough. I've tried degassing again, after I've poured, but even a good 30 minutes of pressure cycling and refilling if there's overflow yields shit results.
I know most people use pressure pots, but you literally can not buy these in Europe. The only vendor was some shady chinese guy with a shadow company in Poland and he up and disappeared at the start of the year and the only other alternative is some UK company, which means shipping doubles the fucking price.
I've tried building a vibrating table but the motors I've used seem to be too weak to get anywhere. The only idea I have left is buying some sort of fitness vibrating plate and putting the stuff on there for an hour or three, but I'm sceptical if that will even do anything.
>>
>>8330890
I think it might just be that the details look a little jagged, and that this is amplified by the roughness of the lining. It's a valid style, but I can see how ppl who are used to more mainstream "refined" styles might think it looks underdone
>>
>>8197380
If you're still looking you can try Peter Browns household alternatives to resin dyes videos.
>>
>>8331854
Why can't one buy pressure pots in Europe?
>>
>>8337684
Probably scared muslims will turn them into bombs

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.