[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/toy/ - Toys

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 1632216850987.jpg (7 KB, 250x202)
7 KB
7 KB JPG
Any non-poorfags here also feel like they get more enjoyment out of cheap stuff?
I've stuff in the $200, $350, even $400 range. I don't think I get as much enjoyment out of them as I do simple, cheap little novelties.
>>
>>10054554
Yes, but maybe for different reasons. The higher the price, the higher my expectations for what I'm getting, and rarely those expectations are met (of course everyone's mileage will vary). When things are lower priced or on discount, they may surprise me with how much I like them. That's not to say cheap things can't also disappoint. The last ML I bought a few years ago turned me off the line entirely. I found zero joy in owning it. I can't even remember the last import I got before a recent AY, but that horribly disappointed me too. The AY, while it didn't blow me away like I'd hoped, is still fun so I didn't feel like it wasn't worth it.
>>
File: tiny classroom.jpg (74 KB, 527x640)
74 KB
74 KB JPG
>>10054554
>feel like they get more enjoyment out of cheap stuff?
Yes, but I think that's just because I like small things. I have your average large figures worth quite a bit, but I typically just set it and forget it for the most part. Whereas I'll fiddle with cute little dioramas and gashapon stuff for an hour without realizing the time has passed. Maybe I'm just easily entertained.
>>
>>10054554
I feel like it's easier to appreciate the little things if it's a cheap figure, for an expensive figure my expectations are through the roof and expect a premium product.
>>
File: 1640230488768.jpg (103 KB, 457x711)
103 KB
103 KB JPG
>>10054554
It depends. With more expensive figures I feel less confident playing around with or posing them no matter how sturdy they are because I worry I'm going to hamhand them in a way I can't fix and can't afford a replacement. Cheaper stuff I can woosh around and not care about as much, but often they end up either fucked up right out of the box or their joints go loose in record time, stuff like Marvel Legends especially.
>>
>>10054757
This. As much as I really love my imports I'm always kind of scared to handle them in fear of something breaking. It's a shame I'm such a bitch because I have a rather nice SHF DBZ collection I rarely mess around with out of fear of ruining something. With something like an ML it's much easier to afford a replacement.
>>
>>10054554
Nope. Can't say that's true. The cheapest shit I've bought are probably marvel legends and they feel awful. It's very much a case of once youve played with one, you've played with them all, because the engineering really doesn't differ much between them.
Shf and mafex are a lot more fun because of the accessories and uniqueness of each mold.

Buzzmod demon slayer are probably the most fun line of figures to fiddle around with and pose. Especially with the soft goods element.

>>10054780
>scared to pose dragon ball shf
Holy shit dude. That's tragic.
>>
File: Sentinel-Mega-Man-001.jpg (223 KB, 656x800)
223 KB
223 KB JPG
>>10054780
Yeah I recently bought the Sentinel 4 Inch Nel Mega Man, not too expensive originally, but aftermarket costs can get absurd these days. It's a gorgeous figure, pretty much the perfect representation of the character I've always wanted, but those arms are so small and thin I always worry I might pop em off. I love it but I'm already planning to keep it on the shelf and get the Jada figure next year as my option to pose and play around with.
>>
>>10054797
>That's tragic.
Tell me about it. I've got them all in poses I'm happy with for now but I'm just too scared and lazy to mess with them that much. It's really a shame. They just in their detolfs and look sad.
>>
Yes. Even though I now make a ton of money, I grew up poor and refuse to spend money on unimportant things like toys or other hobbies.

That's why I get 15 dollar Gundam kits and spend a dozen hours modifying them. I wish I had more talent so I could do even more than that. I also make popsicle stick dioramas for literally pennies.

I'm like the opposite of those basketball players that get huge paychecks and spend it all. I get a big check and sit on it because I desperately never want to be poor again.
>>
I buy both and enjoy dabbing on any brand I please, but especially Neca and McFarts.
>>
>>10055987
What are you doing with it all instead? Not leaving it in the bank I hope.
>>
>>10056060
Nah index funds and other boring stuff.
>>
I got one of those motorized car with long track at a gas station for $20, it's unbelievable fun. Tracks are short segments that can connect & wriggle all over or even be put over stuff & the car will drive all around. Amazon sells them with various themes.

Unfortunately if a toy doesn't belong to a major franchise, a lot of collectors go all Seth Green & decry it as garbage.
>>
what does redditfrog have to do with this?
>>
>>10054757
>can't afford a replacement
So you a a poorfag. This thread isn't for you.
>>
>>10054554
diecast cars can be fun, sometimes I spend $2 and sometimes I spend $50+, most of the time there's nothing to get though
>>
File: bbi f14.png (828 KB, 800x600)
828 KB
828 KB PNG
Most toys that go above the $200 range are rarely ever actually playable. They're usually 1:6 dolls and 12" figures are pretty unwieldy. And since they're dolls, they usually use fabric and fabric on toys can be pretty fiddly, which hampers their playability too.

IF they're not dolls, then it's vehicles and playsets. $200+ vehicles in general are also unwieldy, because they're also 12"+, so it makes palying with them very hard to do. You can't zoom around a 16" tank like you could with a 5" car.
If you can treat the vehicle like a playset, like say, some 24" transport helicopter where you're loading troopers into the compartment, it can be fun.

THEN there's "super premium" toys, like diecast mecha, which frequently go over $200. That shit is rarely ever worth the money it goes for. It's basically $50-100 toys being upcharged because it's super niche, either because the company is greedy or because there's very few collectors who actually want them.
Enjoyment isn't any less or better than similar toys of that size and type. Quality is also little better, if it's better at all. Nevermind the lies that diecast is even considered a premium, when it's cheaper to produce and has less detail than high pressure injected molded plastic.
Only reason to buy "premium" shit is if it doesn't exist elsewhere.
>>
>>10054554
Depends on my mood. Sometimes I like a nice high quality import, other times I like a cheaper domestic figure. It just depends.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.