[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Why is Fantasy genre so creatively bankrupt? Nearly every setting is some variant of a guy looking at Earth, spinning around in a circle for ten minutes before changing the names of people, culture, and places. Fantasy by average is just historic shit pretending to be fantasy what fucking gives
>>
File: generic fantasy.png (120 KB, 1859x380)
120 KB
120 KB PNG
>>
File: 1674933320123187.gif (133 KB, 400x300)
133 KB
133 KB GIF
>>88076992
Because typical "Fantasy" as a genre is thematically rooted in RL myths, fairytales and folklore, because of this its inherently linked to and influenced RL history and cultures.
>>
File: great post.gif (564 KB, 800x430)
564 KB
564 KB GIF
>>88077104
>implying the average nu-fantasy writer actually reacharches mythology instead of just stealing from either tolkien, gygax, or wow
>>
Honest answer; declining literacy and lack of familiarity with pre-20th Century literature
>>
>>88076992
>the faculty or activity of imagining things, especially things that are impossible or improbable
It isn't creatively bankrupt, its potential just isn't being used by game designers.
So what are you doing for your personal games, OP? Surely you aren't just spending all your time worrying about what other people are doing, and are making your games how you want them.
>>
>>88077365
>declining literacy
>>
>>88077365
This. Mass media now is just regurgitated mass media from decades ago.
>>
>>88076992
Fantasy has always been the bottom bitch of genre fiction because of shit like >>88077069 and the fact that you can't actually delve into the implications of readily available magic or the wilderness being filled with things more lethal than your average grizzly bear would be to a peasant, or people will get mad. I've read stuff like The Commonweal series and Unsounded, and found those enjoyable since they take the time to illustrate just how different magic has made their worlds that they reside in, which is generally how sci-fi stories do it (just replace "magic" with "new technology the writer imagined"), but you cannot do this with D&D since, apparently, the draw is that it's just 900s Europe but your local priest can do a cantrip.
>>
>>88077535
Every post really is just a repost of a repost, isn't it?
>>
>>88077069
I agree, but I think it's about marketing, if a book is good you wouldn't brand it "fantasy" but "literary fiction"...fantasy implies trashy and as a "fantasy author" he is kinda stuck only being able to do trashy stuff
>>
>>88076992
RPGs are built to reproduce fantasy fiction. Originality is not only completely beside the point, it is counter to it.
>>
>>88077104
What are the immigration rates and tax policies of the fae? Because this is what fantasy is as a setting now it’s nothing interesting it’s just a history book colored like a comic book
>>
>>88076992
I don't think that's true. And even if it is, it doesn't have to be true for the games that you run. So why do you care?
>>
>cranky midwit dm angry his group didn’t want to hear his five hundred pages of lore about walrus-men that live in cold biome
Shut the fuck up and let us fight skellingtons underground retard
>>
Every dipshit storyfag GM I’ve ever known is so up their ass trying to subvert fantasy tropes and expectations with crapshit homebrew I don’t think I’ve ever actually gotten to play legit vanilla fantasy it’s infuriating
>>
>>88076992
Familiarity is the point for fantasy readers. Most people who read fantasy do so to experience a romanticized past where times were simpler and morality was black and white.
>>
>>88078332
Who gives a fuck about the story Why can’t you faggots stop copy pasting settings
>>
>>88076992
In any other medium you'd have a point, but this is a board about tabletop games and a fantasy trpg campaign doesn't come with visual references or deep descriptions. This is why generic fantasy is useful to a GM, it's easy for the players to understand and and become immersed in, whereas a totally original setting will go over a lot of players' heads because they have no point of reference, and unless they want to read an encyclopedia on the setting, they're likely to interpret it very differently from the GM and other players.
>>
>>88077418
Ye.
>>
>>88076992
The genre is the same because it’s rooted in myths and legends of real cultures. That also speaks more to people than your donut steel shit.
>>
>>88079060
>generic D&D
>rooted in "myths and legends of real cultures"
>not the bastardized theme park equivalent of them filtered through decades of media
Pull your head out of your ass, son.
>>
>>88076992
It's not. Read a book.
>>
>>88078637
>uggghh why does your space opera have aliens and planets in it??!??
Slurp shit and die how about that
>>
File: 1640398050812.jpg (684 KB, 1196x1600)
684 KB
684 KB JPG
>>88076992
There is a limited amount of extremely smart people and most of them don't get into writing fantasy worlds even for a hobby, and of those that do a limited amount are interested at doing something new. So original ideas are hard to come by because the people with the brainpower to get them only occasionally come in to the hobby. Furthermore, fantasy and fiction in general is quite thoroughly discovered - meaning that there is a limit to how many variations can be made within the limits of conceivable fiction.
>>
Anon, can you just for a moment imagine a fantasy world that a fantasy world created. What would fantasy world A be like, given its origin on fantasy world B? Put differently, what kind of worlds does fantasy world B create?
>>
>>88076992
Not every fantasy world needs to be Talislanta
>>
imo has to do with the unwillingness or incompetence to move on from Tolkien's work
I wish, for example, we could get more medieval shit that feel and look like what a medieval person would perceive their world not only animals or fantastic beasts.
We know how armor and clothing used to look (colorful, useful on a pratical level, complex even) and yet fantasy writters and artists wont pull out their heads out of Tolkien's and DnDs ass
Not every fantasy writter must be an historian but fuck me why dont you put a little effort?
>>
File: paraceratherium.jpg (71 KB, 1280x800)
71 KB
71 KB JPG
>>88081407
and if you are gonna stick to Tolkien's work, fine, but at least do something unique with it ffs
why would someone want to see giants portray as "big cavemen dumb fucks" for the thousand time when you could have something like elephant people (which people in some parts of the world that have never seen an elephant would relate to an elephant therefore they simply call them giants) or shit like intelligent paraceratheriums that have advance culture, language or so on
we know giant animals are smart like whales and elephants so even without the "fantasy" label this isnt to farfetch
>>
>>88079060
>The genre is the same because it’s rooted in myths and legends of real cultures
so pull from other periods or cultures, faggot
bronze age, medieval China, Incas, etc
not everything has to be medieval Europe
>>
>>88079407
Are you schizophrenic?
>>
>>88076992
So the alternate is... Modern Where they just don't change anything?
Or scifi? Where they also don't change anything... but it's in the future and despite being a on whole different ass planet or solar system it's still just the current modern countries fighting each other. But in space.

Great. Ya solved it op.
>>
>>88081571
>when you could have something like elephant people
Have you tried playing d&d?
>>
>>88081805
>Bronze age
Useable but you'll just end up with even lower fantasy with how it's implemented.
>Medieval china
Listen bitch all you want about the state we're in but you can only stomach the first ten journey to the west and romance of the three kingdoms knock offs too. There's more like there is more than Arthurian lore for Medieval fantasy but you'll never see it.
> Inca
So what western abomination of texts are you going to squeeze blood from the stone with?

The main reason there is so much damn medieval Europe fantasy is there is actually a lot of wheat to separate the chaff from. There isn't older shit that slowly morphed into modern lore, a fucking nation had a revolution and burned all their old books, and isn't an ancient civilizations that the modern people probably don't even have more than a few dozen folk stories to actually say about them. It's like fucking AI you need a shit ton of stuff to filter through and then splint up to fill out the books.

Just face it between all the recorded shit that went on in Europe and the french and English pumping out Arthurian fan fiction and the 50 shades of gray knock offs of it we had a lot to steal for modern fantasy Thousands of books, not dozens, and not 1 research document and 2 Christinized retelling of shit.
>>
File: Mildly upset.jpg (66 KB, 688x720)
66 KB
66 KB JPG
>>88076992
Anon, that's what fantasy IS you fucking moron.
If fantasy is too divorced from either earth, or human history or culture, it ceases to be fantasy, and becomes science fiction.

That's like asking "Oh why is Noir always about bitter and calloused dregs, femme fatals and misery" or "why is blues music in a minor key"

Fantasy literature draws on common human philosophies, legends, concepts and culturally significant ideas, to create stories that both are understood, yet different and exciting. Dragons, Knights, Princesses, Swords, Castles. They're not just things, they're representative of multiple ideas and emotions.
Now from that, you can have low fantasy, or high fantasy, depending on the extent by which you want to deviate from real concepts with fictitious ones.

You, you utter retard, have managed to look at a genre, find commonalities in each, in regards to ideas, philosophies and concepts, and go "why does everything in this genre have the same shit? Why can't anyone be original?"

You tired of fantasy? Go and read something else then, until you can learn to appreciate fantasy literature for what it is.
But if the limits of your reading comprehension is "ohh, there's another of X, same as the last book" I'd suggest you put down fantasy entirely.
>>
>>88081571
>Why not have obscure large animal instead of giant?
Because your obscure giant tapir doesn't have any significance as a concept or artistic idea, next to a giant. You'd have to establish the significance in-book, either by explaining the significance, or linking them back to giants in some way. Same with elephants, except some cultures already attach meaning and significance to them in other ways.
TL:DR you can't just shoehorn in an alternate species for a setting role, because it bears a similar trait. You need to explain why it's role is suited to the setting.
>>
>>88082099
>if your elves are from Narnia you’re doing sci-fi
Autism
Retardation
Inbred
>>
File: Jeghal 1.png (376 KB, 512x512)
376 KB
376 KB PNG
>>88082001
No, I'm not a retard.
But my friends are and I sat with them during their DnD session and I created an Elephant man voodoo shaman characther just as a thought excercise
>>
>>88076992
>Why is ANYTHING so creatively bankrupt?
Because consoomers have no respect for anything, they just grab shit and gobble it up like goblins, and nobody owes you his free time to get nothing back, therefore the only people who actually venture through all the hoops and drudgery to publish anything public-facing with be commercially oriented people e.g. corporate SJW types or smut peddlers who obviously aim at creating lowest commond denominator shit and that's what you will get until the sun burns out.
>>
>>88077418
For an example, almost nobody on /tg/ actually reads fantasy books. Hence stupid takes like OP's are accepted as fact even though a bit of time in a library proves he doesn't even know what he's complaining about. Everything they know about fantasy has been absorbed from pop culture. Can they read? Maybe. Are they willing to? Nope. Same goes for rulebooks.
>>
>>88078008
The germ effect. Fucking hate that hack of a writer.

>>88081805
I based mine heavily on East and South-East Asia. From spices and silks to the governments. The issue is always that most players and readers are retards. They want a clear point of reference. And most don't know anything nor care to know anything about these diverse, honestly beautiful cultures. So most of the ones that take from these cultures always ends up like >>88082012 said. It's just R3K or Journey. Mine is extremely different, for sure, but I also cannot just drop that on my players.
I did want to have a bronze age setting, but it always defaulted to either Theros or the Iliad cycle.
Also there is enough Mesoamerican beliefs and religion still recorded that you could make something out of it. But it's also very alien to people. Suddenly ritualistic cannibalism is holy (which really only happened once a year and with the royal families, and on a very limited scale, but the Catholics demonized them to get an excuse to conquer). Suddenly coco beans are money and food. The cultures are so vastly different and alien it just wouldn't work.

>>88083597
I find this sad. I 100% believe it, but I find it sad. Books are a gateway to imagination a d creativity. But I get it. Kids are forced to read by school and parents ad it sucks the joy out of it. And then they watch cartoons, movies, and vidya and it kills it more. I loved reading as a kid, but as I grew older I have less and less time. School first, now job. I still try to read one book a month, though often unsuccessful. Usually takes me two or three. Recently finally finished Alamut, which has been on my reading list for AGES. Making something out of that would be cool. Before then I finished Connecticut Yankee. 1800s isekai. A pretty fun book.
>>
>>88083597
>almost nobody on /tg/ actually reads fantasy books.
The usual source, I assume.
>>
>>88084985
He might have a point, the last time I've read fantasy book Prachett was still alive.
>>
>>88076992
Originality does not matter and never will. It's always all about the execution.
>>
>>88084739
>I loved reading as a kid, but as I grew older I have less and less time.
Same. But also, most books aren't worth reading.
It's a rare talent to pull the reader in, to transport them to a world outside of what they know. Thousands of people love the Sprawl Trilogy, and I'm sure it was compelling when it was written because the concepts in it were new, but reading it for the first time in 2017 was pretty underwhelming because Gibson is a better idea guy than he is a storyteller and all of his good ideas have been stolen a million times since. Showed up to a dentist appointment 20min early and wandered around the library across the parking lot, grabbed some random anthology of near-future fiction published back in 2011, couldn't put it down. I haven't had a library card in years and I can't find the note I left myself on what it was called, still think about it sometimes.
But I'm pretty sure the point >>88083597 was making was that OP is full of shit, but only people who ever bother to read books would know. There's plenty of talent and creativity, you just won't find it watching Netflix Originals all day. And maybe skip most books written after 2015: The percentage of shit-to-quality is probably the same, but a lot of the shit is currently "political" in the most obnoxious way.
>>
>>88085014
Imagine if I came inside you. My dick squeezed up inside of your hole, pushing in and pulsating as it spurts a hot jet of goo.
>>
File: riceboy056.png (674 KB, 800x1236)
674 KB
674 KB PNG
>>88076992
There are plenty of more outlandish fantasy worlds out there Anon, if you can't find them that's your own problem.
But in general, the familiar is convenient because you don't need page upon page of exposition and a zillion new words to remember, you can just get in the settings and play. "Basically steampunk soviet orcs" is clear enough, you don't need to give them weird names and explain their history.
>>
>>88085039
I don't put out for quickshots, sorry.
>>
File: images (3).png (17 KB, 558x550)
17 KB
17 KB PNG
>>88076992
1. Because i don't have a bunch of illustrators in my basement that will make artwork of every original thought i have.
2. Because i will not spend my time teaching the players how to navigate in a completely unfamiliar setting instead of just playing the danm game, so making everything as familiar as possible is the most efficient way.
3. I am in favor of novelty when it comes to worldbuilding, but only if it also contributes to gameplay. If people move around inside giant rolling punkpins instead of horses it doesn't matter if said punpkins are, for all effects and purposes, just re-skinned horses.
>>
>>88084739
People not reading has nothing to do with "school traumas" or any bullshit like that, that's just an excuse people use to feel better about themselves. If anything i am 100% forcing kids to read books is in fact the best way to improve literacy in a nation.

No, the real reason is that games, internet and social media are addictive and compete for the free time you would use for books. All of these have a much lower "pick up threshold" for dopamine release, so what do you think will happen?
>>
>>88076992
>Why is Fantasy genre so creatively bankrupt?
People don't like creativity. They love comfort.
>>
File: 45725872532.jpg (144 KB, 736x995)
144 KB
144 KB JPG
>>88076992
It hits a comfort zone. It gives me something cozy and familiar, something i can easily relate to, something i can just enjoy. And every time, its a little bit different. Maybe this time, the king is evil. Or the prince. Or the advisor. Maybe this time, the human kingdom has fake france as its neighbor. Or maybe the dwarves. Maybe this time, magic is persecuted, or embraced. Its never the same. Not exactly. But it still delivers me all the themes, environments and tropes i love. Its like ordering your favorite pizza. You dont want to experiment with pizzas you might not like, but you order at different pizza places, because you are still a bit curious how theirs tastes.
>>
>>88079167
Have you tried playing something other than DnD?

>>88081805
Who says I don’t? I barely set my campaigns in medieval Europe knock-offs. Most of my recent campaigns were based in the not!Middle-east, not!Central asia and not!Africa.
>>
File: 1094582853.jpg (2.07 MB, 2400x2400)
2.07 MB
2.07 MB JPG
>>88076992
>Game of Thrones gave us fantasy, but with a focus on politics and interpersonal drama
>Warcraft gave us fantasy, but asked what if the villain races like orcs and troll can be good
>Witcher gave us fantasy, buts its dirty and cynical
>Critical Role gave us fantasy, but with modern way of speech and jokes
>modern DnD and Pathfinder give us fantasy, but what if there are no inherently evil races
Fantasy DOES change, anon. Its just in a different way then you might think.
>>
>>88078793
Enlightened take
>>
>>88077417
Based KYS poster

>>88085572
>forcing kids to read books
If they're cattle, they will learn nothing and will stop reading the moment you're not there to force the.
If they're not cattle, they will read without being forced.
>internet and social media are addictive
Lack of willpower and shit taste is an unfortunate and frequent combination, but it does not qualify as addiction.
>>
Fantasy only works insofar it appeals to the consumer's idea of fantasy. You need to be familiar (or relatable) to be enjoyed by any number of people that will allow you to finance your creative endeavor and the most solid proof is that no one here reads weird fanfiction with made-up alien races or from different historicultural contexts from which you have no connection to like IDK ancient subsaharan Africa.
That's why fantasy is Tolkien, or Conan, or Warcraft, or 1001 Nights, or Harry Potter, or anime. It's in the nature of the genre, or rather, in the nature of "genres" in general.
>>
File: Key_Art_02_layeredjpg.jpg (231 KB, 1500x1442)
231 KB
231 KB JPG
>>88077069
ah yes, hollow knight the average western european fantasy setting
>>
>>88077329
Not even Tolkien, Gygax or traditional mythology anymore. You have to have an understanding of culture for that to happen. Nowadays, only cultureless "LOOK AT ME!" and 'BUY NEW THINGS' is respected, not traditional stories and myths of other people from the past, so you would be lucky if the writer has experienced WOW, Skyrim, Critical Role and whatever garbage this week's Social Influencers are trying to shill to drawn upon.
>>
>>88076992
Some things are just timeless and classic. There's a reason I've been playing tolkein-esque DnD for over 40 years: It works.
>>
File: standard_medieval_fantasy.jpg (198 KB, 1400x1050)
198 KB
198 KB JPG
>>88086154
Now I want to say you are right and that niche things can do well
however.
Hollow Knight is accurate to medieval sources.
I'm afraid to tell you that hollow knight is indeed the average western european fantasy setting. The monks wrote about it.
>>
>>88082690
What the fuck are you talking about, you fucking illiterate?
>>
I have stopped drawing the line between fantasy and sci fi and have become happier for it.
>>
>>88086657
based not obsessed over labels that are actually fluid over time anon
>>
>>88086649
>If fantasy is too divorced from either earth, or human history or culture, it ceases to be fantasy, and becomes science fiction.
the dumbest shit I’ve ever seen on this board
>>
>>88086154
Hollow Knight is a historical, set in medieval Turkey.
>>
>>88076992
Because everything is. Mankind is dying. The god of death infiltrated the mammalian bloodlines early to create primates and his prime project is humans and among humans the sociopath is his crowning achievement.

He will be successful in getting them to kill this world. Then he and all his remaining followers (that he hasn't already killed himself) will be cast into hell for eternity.
>>
>>88086881
Separating sci-fi and fantasy into separate genres was a disaster for fiction.
>>
>>88077069
>secure a niche audience
>keep selling them the same shit over and over
>focus exclusively on short term profit
That's how superhero comics killed themselves, it's a suicidal business plan.

>>88087387
Kek
>>
>>88076992
>>88077069
>>88077104
>>88077329
>>88077417
You're all wrong. The real answer is authors no longer go on months long cocaine benders where they write some of the most unhinged settings imaginable.
>>
>>88080391
>Druillet pic related
Based reference
>>88081805
Fuck, even fantasy inspired by medieval Europe could be refreshing if it was actually grounded in history and myth. What we have instead is endless rehash of WoW-ified Tolkien.
>>88081960
>scifi? Where they also don't change anything... but it's in the future and despite being a on whole different ass planet or solar system it's still just the current modern countries fighting each other. But in space
Science fiction is a whole lot more varied than that. Most Philip K Dick stories don't fit that cookie-cutter description and he's an author from 50+ years ago. Peter Watt's stories don't fit it either. Post-apo and Cyberpunk and well worn cliché genre of scifi at that point and both are radically different from what you described.
By comparison, it's a struggle to find fantasy settings that feature gunpowder or just the fucking printing press, both inventions which were already well settled by the time full plaque armour came around. And "what are your elves/dragons/orcs like?" is one of the cliché worldbuilding question in fantasy.
In comparison, no one asks scifi writer "what are your Vulcans like?".
>>88085089
>There are plenty of more outlandish fantasy worlds out there
Agreed. I think in this kind of case it's a lot more productive to look for stuff you like rather than rage against the mainstream.
>>
>>88076992
Because any time you don't the people who *like* it will say nothing, but the people who can't handle change and the world not looking like them will hound until you quit fed up with creativity and perhaps RPGs in general.
>>
>>88077418
You know the reason
>>
>>88076992
You haven't read enough fantasy.
>>
>>88087809
>scrollskid thinks morrowind is deep and original
LOL
kirkbride is a hack
>>
>>88091127
>kirkbride is a hack
He says sitting on his phone doing nothing
At least he wrote more than a handful of anonymous words on an underwater basket weaving forum
>>
>>88091514
He is a fucking hack, TESdrone
You're such a fucking zoomer you don't recognise the shit he stole from other fantasy writers and from gnostic, hindu and buddhist mythology so you see all of it and assume it's totally unique
faggot
drone
>>
>>88091792
>seething so hard over bethesda, he forgets that there's nothing new under the sun, and starts requiring entirely novel concepts to be considered creative in any way
lol
>>
>>88077069
I would Love there be more fantasy East Asian settings based on ancient China or Japan
>>
>>88091127
got rentlessly shit on for calling this guy a hack and most of his work fanfiction
>>
>>88085878
>>
>>88076992

Well, there was Dark Sun, but we're not getting that back anytime soon
>>
>>88092891
Cope tesdrone
>>
>>88088248
This
>>
>>88086154
ahh yes this random video game you decided to bring up for no reason
>>
All this cope and seethe.
Tolkien practically invented the genre.
>b-but muh novelty
The wheel was also invented a long time ago, and we haven't stopped using it because muh heckin novelty.

Admit it, some things were made as good as all things like it will ever be.
>>
>>88096946
>Tolkien practically invented the genre.
Delusional tolkiendrone
>>
>>88096946
>Tolkien practically invented the genre.
Pretty much accidentally.
>>
File: 1678642436368217.png (55 KB, 247x247)
55 KB
55 KB PNG
>>88077104
Except most of it compleatly ignores actual folklore and focuses on Tolkien's interpretation of a few things that weren't even present in most of Europe
>>
>>88085140
>Because i don't have a bunch of illustrators in my basement that will make artwork of every original thought i have.
Imagin saying this half a year into the AI revolution. Some book writers already outsource pictures to computers
>>
File: images.jpg (12 KB, 318x159)
12 KB
12 KB JPG
>>88096942
the image posted from the guy i replied to was about how only western medieval fantasy sells, too bad every universally acclaimed fantasy setting of the last twenty years has been very far away from traditional fantasy settings. And yes, hollow knight is a fantasy setting.

of course, if you are a author churning out copies of other IPs 4 times a year, you are better of sticking with western European stuff so that you don't have to think, but to say that the audience does not want very strange fantasy settings is false.
>>
>>88096987
cope and seethe l + ratio dilate
>>
>>88097063
I don't think it's a fair comparison to make between fantasy novels and other forms of fantasy media because they have fundamentally different draws. There's plenty of fantasy with an Eastern aesthetic, but none of it is as popular as Avatar (was) because they're not Nicktoons with heavy anime influences. I doubt a fantasy novel about bugs would be as a good Metovania game.
>>
>>88097165
fair, but then it is just about whitewashing stuff. you do whatever you want, you make a eastern themed fantasy book, and you just slap eurocentric words in it. No different than always having a good looking woman supporting character in movies.
>>
>>88097165
Shadows of the Apt is decently popular. Not to the same extent as Hollow Knight, but most people I know who are interested in fantasy have at least heard of it.
>>
>>88097076
Tolkien was a philosemite papist
faggot
>>
>>88086118
That is a thing in general fiction too. There is a tongue-in-cheek term "Tiffany Problem" for it, which means that writers of historical fiction tend to somehow adapt details of their works into what their readers will think is historically accurate. The term comes from the fact that it's completely historically accurate to write a medieval girl with a name that can be derived from Tiffany, but most readers are going to find it jarring because they just feel that Tiffany is more modern name than it is.
>>
>>88076992
people don't care about your hyper self referential experiment in contrarianism

they want familiar things with just that extra condiment of fantastical
>>
>>88086154
Literally no one plays Hollow Knight for the lore or setting.
>>
>>88097268
>>88082099
These. Everyone else stfu and accept that fantasy is what it's similar to, not what it isn't.
>>
>>88086118
this, genres are just a tool for trying to sell more books...this thread got action and effect backwards, it isn't fantasy that is the same, it's that you need to be the same to be fantasy.
That's why when people started doing a lot of fantasy space stories they decided to make a new genre and call it "sci-fi" or more recently when people started doing a lot of fantasy stories involving teens they coined "ya novels"...if something gets momentum it stops being fantasy and becomes its own genre
>>
>>88098589
>Weird Tales?
>The fuck is that, we're talking about the entirely organic separation of Fantasy and Sci-Fi
>>
>>88076992
The less the players have to learn to begin to play, the easier and more tempting it is for them to try at all. So fi you work with what is already out there you have a much lower barrier of entry than if you require of your playera to read a novel before they can make meaningful choices like character creation.
>>
>>88099303
This, but there's also a fine line to be maintained between universal accessibility and incessant gatekeeping. It's important to filter out those who aren't fit for the content and would only bog it down or irreversibly change it for the worse otherwise.
>>
>>88077329
Like half of all the pathfinder bestiaries are adapting monsters from myths, folktales, and legends.
>>
>>88076992
Tolkein. That's all you need to know. Every faggot and their brother is copying that retard. Stop nicking tolkein and stop letting that define what fantasy is and the problem goes away.
>>
>>88097220
>most people I know who are interested in fantasy
that's the thing, explosively popular Fantasy genre works make their money off of mainstream appeal, not appeal within their genre. That's the difference between Game of Thrones getting millions on millions of views, and A Song of Ice and Fire selling an admittedly still impressive few million copies (most of which were driven by the television shows and not the other way around).
Businesses exist to make money, so corporate-backed fantasy settings, games and etc. will generally trend towards easily approachable, familiar fantasy tropes as the targeted audience increases in scope. This isn't exactly news. Sure, there are still tons of works that turn a profit just fine with good execution of more original or unique ideas... but their returns on investment pale in comparison to just reskinning Tolkien.
>>
Because it's what everyone wants. Even /tg/ seethes at the notion of anything other than the original core d&d races of human, elf, dwarf, halfling, gnome.
>>
>>88086154
HKfags proving once again they are insufferable.
>>
>>88094992
>STILL seething
lol
>>
Tips and guidelines for all you faggots to create a fun and original environment in your fantasy setting.
>Pick an environment with no influence on any past historical cultures.
Desert.
>Pick a dominant species
Lizardmen
>Pick a unique and dominant fauna that shapes the ecosystem or some other similar factor.
Giant Termite antlion hybrid that form colossal dens underground often unearthing precious treasure lost in the sand and fossils.
After you come up with these you put them into a culture history and everything else than boom fun original civilization.
>>
>>88076992
Fantasy is like capeshit. The repetitive shit repeated ad nauseam with the only major deviation coming from people who outwardly hate the tropes yet still refuse to do anything original.
>>
Sci-fi is also rooted in stereotypes, but those are copyrightable.
You want a fantasy race of savage brutes, you call them Orcs and everyone instantly knows what's going on. You want a sci-fi race of savage brutes, you can't call them Klingons or Paramaunt will come for you.
>>
>>88076992

It's not. It's modern writers fundamental laziness and unwillingness to research....they just regurgitate other peoples ideas rather than working from deep material
>>
>>88076992
Because too many retards think that writing good fantasy is easy. And even more retards think that criticism can be deflected with the words "It's fantasy, lol, it shouldn't be logical or thought out."
>>
File: Orb_Piercer_MiA.jpg (178 KB, 950x950)
178 KB
178 KB JPG
>>88077069
Sadly enough, because it sells.
People love tradition, they love the familiar. As such, they love the Tolkien races.
So when they see elves and dwarves in another franchise, they already know that they hate each other. They know the elves are noble and use bows, and that dwarves love to drink and use axes.
They feel like it's easy to settle into this new universe cause they already understand most of the basic rules.

Sometimes someone actually does something completely new and ambitious though, like the writer for Made in Abyss did.
Now this dude might be a serious pervert and probably a pedophile as well but he also created a completely unique setting with almost completely original creatures.
It's honestly very ambitious yet sadly his work gets very little recognition overall, maybe because his perverted tendencies scare the normalfags away.

Basically, completely new settings are out there, they just don't get the same recognition from the normie-sphere as the Tolkien-inspired ones do. Blame human nature I guess.
>>
whoops, >>88111988 was meant for >>88076992
>>
Show me five examples of appealing and original science fiction that was written in the last thirty years. You can't.

Genre fiction as a whole is creatively bankrupt.
>>
>>88098308
I did, but I suck at these games so it was a waste of money.
>>
>>88077069
>laughs in TES
inb4 "everything post-Oblivion is generic", Morrowind was very successful, Skyrim was hardly generic, and Oblivion wasn't even as generic as everyone says it is.
>>
>>88077069
Well yeah. It's easier for an audience to relate to something if it's literally more relatable. What we tend to commonly think of a "fantasy" is primarily made up of races of humanoid beings with varying traits, because that's not a huge stretch of the imagination and it's easy to project understandable human traits onto them.
>>
>>88078332
Absolutely my DM to a tee.
Orcs? No they're actually Orcas, exactly the same save for Orcas having gills under their arms.
The funniest part is that this change happened sneakily out of nowhere midway through the campaign. Most of the campaign the dmpc half orc was referred to as an orc, one day theres weirdly specific details about his gills and hes an Orca.
>>
>>88114464
??? orcas dont even have gills? Also orca based orcs would be more rape and kill crazy than a stereotypical orc
>>
>>88077626
>the draw is that it's just 900s Europe but your local priest can do a cantrip.
Oh fuck, yes. Just hook it up to my veins.
>>
>>88114673
Oh Im aware, no idea if he is and hes too resistant to critisism for me to dare correct him (once ended a 2 year long campaign because of one players critisism and hasnt spoken to him since)
Hes had a major string of trying to distance his world from traditional dnd/pathfinder
Wanted to make his tieflings more unique so he gave them all weird birthmark lines running down their faces, that was all. There's no tieflings in our game.
>>
File: PA_bait.png (294 KB, 1498x1119)
294 KB
294 KB PNG
>People took a bait this blatant
Did we reach the era where its bots shitting up both the catalog and threads, so two bots are shitting on each other?
>>
>>88076992
https://youtu.be/yhl1dx7qwWE?t=144
>Science? Nonsense. In this situation, mediocrity and genius are equally useless. We have no interest in conquering any cosmos. We want to extend the Earth to the borders of the cosmos. We don’t know what to do with other worlds. We don’t need other worlds. We need a mirror. We struggle for contact, but we’ll never find it. We’re in the foolish human predicament of striving for a goal that he fears, that he has no need for. Man needs man.
>>
>>88121087
>it’s bait if I don’t like it
Based
>>
>>88077365
Not even sure the average "fantasy fan" is familiar with 20th century stuff in a meaningful way anymore
>>
>>88121087
I'd prefer a thread like this to yet another MTG thread or Waifu Anus CYOA.
>>
File: Hollowknight world.jpg (3.68 MB, 4183x2955)
3.68 MB
3.68 MB JPG
>>88098308
The lore and setting of Hollow Knight is actually really beautiful. I'm talking about how the levels are pretty and the characters are nice not about lore video fanwank though.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.