[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games


Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.


[Advertise on 4chan]


File: FnP9AhEaUAE2E3a.png (116 KB, 636x900)
116 KB
116 KB PNG
https://globaltoynews.com/2023/01/18/hasbro-has-angered-its-d-does-it-matter/

> Hasbro & Wotc are now proudly parading at London and Nuremberg toy fairs pretending everything is fine and dandy
> ''No no the D&D thing will soon be over and forgotten'' narrative in full swing
> Most highly respected opinion maker in toy news writes that hilarious BS piece to appease the idiot shareholders into thinking it'll blow over

Picrel sauce: https://twitter.com/open_dnd/status/1617915028182814720
>>
>>87499462
What DnD thing?
>>
>thinking it'll blow over
It will. D&D has 95% of the RPG market and PBTA: Magical Girls isn't going to take over because of an internet dust up.
>Toy fair
Nobody buying star wars and transformers figures gives a shit about D&D
>>
>>87499462
>DnD thing
????
>>
>>87499477
>>87499520

> t. has been living under a rock
Hasbro/WoTC decided to pull a switcheroo against its content creators.
> There is the OGL, Open Game License, to allow tabletop developers to grant permission to modify, copy, and redistribute some of the content designed for their games, notably game mechanics.
> Those people make some profit out of it
> Hasbro is 77% revenue dependent on whatever WoTC does since everything else - Monopoly, Transformers, Bronyshow, Nerfguns etc - is operating at a loss. All their woes are blamed on Corona/Economic downturn/Putin/Shipping container issues/whatever
> Hasbro decides people are making too much money out of it. Hint; it's basically nothing compared to their revenue streams.
> ''Pray I don't alter it any further''.jpg and blocks their biggest content creators, including people whose products they themselves also sold.
> People very pissed.

>>87499514
IIRC there are D&D stands at Nuremburg and London every year
>>
File: Fm4yLRBaYAAyvRL.jpg (46 KB, 951x123)
46 KB
46 KB JPG
> if you make D&D content and say something that is hateful, we will block you and you can't do shit about it
> What is hateful? That is up to us

Lel, enjoy it /tg/
>>
>>87499559
>Hasbro is 77% revenue dependent on whatever WoTC does
Source on this?
>>
>>87499514
>Nobody buying star wars and transformers figures gives a shit about D&D
That's where you're wrong kiddo, I have spent more money on Transformers but more time on TTRPGs including 5e.
>>
>>87499819
https://corp.hasbro.com/financial-information/quarterly-results
> TL;DR: Hasbro recovered Toys-R-Us Growth losses by boosting WotC and Digital Gaming Revenues by 46%,
> And then they cancelled the digital gaming shit roflmao
https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/hasbro-s-wizards-of-the-coast-cancels-video-game-projects-1.1865422
>>
>>87499462
>At the time, there was a lot of anger aimed at Hasbro by Scrabulous fans who threatened never to play Scrabble again.
And maybe they didn’t. Hasbro’s problem was that they already WEREN’T playing Scrabble. Failing to attract a new customer is worlds away from alienating the ones you already have.
>>
>>87499985
Are you going to stop buying transformers in protest over a licensing dispute with some indie RPG though?
>>
>>87500098
If hasbro loses wotc, does that mean they'll go under or that they'll just be a lot smaller? You mentioned a few brands that are operating at a loss for hasbro but they also own a lot of shit popular with kids like peppa pig and paw patrol that seem to be easy ways to print money
>>
>>87500189
They may just go under. WotC is THE breadwinner for Hasbro, with Magic: the Gathering laying the claim to Hasbro's first billion-dollar IP.
>>
>>87500256
rip bluey
>>
>>87500189
Toyindustry fag here: Peppa Pig and Paw Patrol do ''okay'', but aren't great sources of money. Talk dozens of millions of profit (after manufacturing costs, store cost, taxes, etc), not bilions. TF and GI Joe do a lot worse. The HorseFag show too didn't even land them a big profit when /mlp/ was big since they had no idea how to sell good merchandise or adapt to the new situation. Nowadays it runs at a big loss and is just plain garbage.
> Hasbro is the farmer who had a goose that laid golden eggs, but since he was a meatfarmer, to the butcher it went.
This makes WoTC indeed THE breadwinner that just compensates for everything else.
>>
>>87500281
Bluey is BBC/ABC you idiot
>>
https://twitter.com/Skerrit7h3green/status/1618115486922965001
> Sad news: The book I was lead designer on last summer is officially a casualty of the OGL kerfuffle

This pisses me off
>>
>>87500281
>MLP never had blu-rays
>>
>>87502379
He's talking about Bluey, a kids cartoon that doesn't even belong to Hasbro, not about blue-rays
>>
>>87499462
> Most highly respected opinion maker in toy news writes that hilarious BS piece to appease the idiot shareholders into thinking it'll blow over
Except that it will. If the 2017 Las Vegas incident (almost 500 people shot by one guy) can be memory-holed in mere couple months, then what chance does WotC shit have, even if the fans are all vengeful autists. I wish WotC would burn to the ground, but it's not gonna.
>>
>>87499462
This is going to fail. Dungeons and Dragons is not a generic term, it's a specific brand.

If fucking Xerox, Nintendo, and Google didn't lose their trademarks to things being generic, no fucking way that WoTC loses Dungeons and Dragons.
>>
>>87502894
The consequences of the last two months for wizards are going to be long lasting. For magic, they recently did the "ONE THOUSAND UNITED STATES DOLLARS FOR SIXTY RANDOM ILLEGAL CARDS" thing that actually broke containment and made it into conversation outside of nerd spaces. Similarly, the OGL fiasco (Which is still sorta going on) did the same. These things happened in very quick succession to one another so the OGL thing essentially extended the lifespan of the magic thing being a thing people outside of /tg/ spaces cared about.
Why do bring this up? Well it's cause both events pretty thoroughly poisoned the well for both games. It's going to be hell trying to get anyone interested in magic for a few years cause "Oh, isn't that game where they charged a thousand dollars for some cards?" and similarly the OGL fiasco already divided the D&D fanbase to the point that I'm sure a portion of it is just up and gone for good, which is already not good since they're going to be releasing a new edition (That's totally not a new edition guys) soonish.
There's also the more boring factors of magic shrinking for a while now, the lack of coofbucks to prop up luxury goods, the recession, and the fact that their last quarterly report that happened BEFORE all this had them lose a double digit percentage of their profitability.
>>
>>87503022
> There's also the more boring factors of magic shrinking for a while now, the lack of coofbucks to prop up luxury goods, the recession, and the fact that their last quarterly report that happened BEFORE all this had them lose a double digit percentage of their profitability.

Yes - sure, they can recover this mess with new buyers or whatever. Doesn't change the fact they're very dependent on WoTC and that a nosedive in sales - along with that silly upcoming movie that will likely bomb - will hurt them. Hard. And then the shareholder wished they put the altafoxes in charge
>>
>>87502946
Yup, I'm sure the Hasbro execs will be laughing so hard they'll need a Kleenex. They might even spill their snacks and need the cleaner to bring the Hoover. My work here is done, guess I'll do up my Zipper, freshen up with some Chapstick, then take a wander on the nice new Lineoleum in my hall to the Escalator up to my bed.

Also, shit examples man - Xerox very nearly did become generic, the only reason it didn't is nobody uses fucking copy machines anymore. Nintendo always had legitimate competitors and so never became *the* term for "game console". And Google are only hanging on by the skin of their teeth because the politicians know they can use "do what we say or we start asking why your trademark is still valid..." as a way to coerce compliance. The reason the D&D trademark won't be lost isn't because the idea is outlandish, it's because it's a niche-ass hobby that nobody gives a fuck about, and even within that niche "D&D" and "RPG" are not synonymous in most people's minds yet.
>>
>>87500159
I'm not a /pol/tard with twitter brainrot so no, I'm also not going to stop running my hacked to shit 5e.

If a product is something good that I want I will pay for it. if the product is something not good or overpriced that I still want I will pirate it. If it is not a good product and I don't want it, I will not acquire it.

Fuck /pol/, fuck twitter, fuck MUH CULCHURE WAR, fuck all of it.
>>
>>87500304
What does sell then friend? Im curious
>>
>>87504883
>what does sell
MTG and D&D, he just said
>>
WotC drama has ruined this board, all the cancerous extremist sjw types it attracts spilled over to other threads.
Wish nothing but pain and misery on WotC shills.
>>
>>87504905
WotC drama kinda has to happen on this board, as they control two of the biggest brands in the space.
>>
>>87499462
>Hasbro and Wotc are literally being taken to the Nuremberg trials over this fiasco
Holy shit
>>
>>87504903
Oh i meant toys, not tg stuff.
>>
>>87500304
>>87505136
I'm not a toyfag but I'm around normie kids and from what I see they're pretty much glued to a tablet consuming pajeet garbage on youtube and playing questionable chinkshit games
they don't draw, they don't play with toys, they don't do shit. they don't even watch things that require any amount of focus because their brains are fried by youtube poop. The future is going to be horrible and not just for the toy industry
my guess is that toys will shrink quite a bit and become a collectable industry for terminally autistic adults.
basically what japan does with coomer statues of anime thots
>>
>>87499559
AND tries to muscle out any sort of good VTT from running even the basics of their system with the most retarded argument, making it more like a video game. Even though the arbiter is a human that makes use of sophisticated tools.
>>
>>87499462
>It’s hard to overestimate how important Wizards of the Coast is to Hasbro. According to data from S&P Global Market Intelligence, it accounts for just 22% of Hasbro’s annual revenue — but produces a staggering 72% of Hasbro’s profit.

How does that work?
>>
>>87503022
> "ONE THOUSAND UNITED STATES DOLLARS FOR SIXTY RANDOM ILLEGAL CARDS" thing

I haven't played Magic since Judgment. What's this?
>>
>>87504905
>sjw types

Lol, there's way more /pol/ types who took the bait about banning un-woke material.
>>
>>87506913
WotC put out a pack that contained reserve list cards but they're not black bordered so they're not legal in any format. So they were charging $1,000 for glorified proxies
>>
>>87506877
For all that people seethe and fester about how much money WotC is making off their feckless fanbase, this is happening because Magic: the Gathering has pretty much always been a fun game. Because it's a complicated game, sure, but it really only takes a few hours to learn. And because luck of the draw *does* matter, there's enough chaos to allow things to shake out differently every time, meaning beginners can sometimes get very lucky and win against people who've been playing for far longer. Skill is rewarded, but so is ruthless opportunism. So Wizards rakes in the cash, quarter after quarter every year.

And while DnD has never really been as profitable as Magic, it's still been a good earner year after year because it's still The Name in RPGs. So now that the OGL situation is blowing in up their faces, they're actually poised to start making substantially less money this year because of how many people want to bail on DnD in favor of substitutes. So I would be very surprised if WotC doesn't decide to start running a serious PR campaign soon here.
>>
>>87499462
do they even make D&D merchandise that arent books? I remember 4e having figures
>>
>>87507026
I meant, how does the math work.
>>
>>87504488
There is a confounding factor though - the normies (a much larger group) DO use D&D to mean any TRPG. A poster in another thread pointed out that he has seen multiple threads on Reddit asking what to call playing D&D when you're not actually playing D&D - the fact that there already is such a term was astounding to them. This could result in a much tougher case to make that D&D is not generic.
>>
>>87507049
Revenue is how much money comes in, profit is how much money they actually make. Revenue doesn't factor in all the costs.
In this context I'm guessing that the enormous gap is due to licensing fees. Hasbro actually owns all the dnd shit they make books and toys/other merch for, but all those buzz lightyear toys from that new movie that flopped? Yeah they probably have to pay a shitload on fees to be allowed to produce those, then factor in labor, manufacturing, and shipping, and even though the toys bring in more cash, they don't make as much money.
>>
>>87499477
>DnD's only really profitable part is selling the big rule books
>WotC want to only sell those big books, and let some dumb fuck make the low-profit shit like actual adventures and stuff
>Make license (OGL) allowing people to do so
>People mostly use OGL to make their own big rule books (Pathfinder happen here, for example)
>6 millions years later
>Hasbro's revenues are 3/4 from WoTC, 99% of those 3/4 being MtG
>Decide DnD need to be milked hard until it is as profitable as MtG
>Decide to update the OGL into mega-jewry
>Community in massive uproar, orders and subscriptions cancelled so hard everywhere WotC has to close the websites
>New OGL doesn't even affect DnD's concurrents sparked by old-OGL, since it's technically not even copyright-able shit in the first place
>WotC's on damage control ever since

TLDR:Hasbro being Hasbro, higher up suits make a retarded decision that alienate the entire potential customer base *hard*
>>
>>87504766
>Leading corporation in the hobby market is making predatory decisions that will eventually affect all the market
>Muh culture war
Nigger it's not about le funny pronouns or le race swap roulette or whatever but you do you.
>>
>>87507178
pretty much. And now that they lost big influencers, it will hurt growth. A lot. Alongside losing a bunch of whales that bought a lot of content
>>
>>87504905
>all the cancerous extremist sjw types it attracts spilled over to other threads.
bro, they have been here for years. Did you just wake up from 2012?
>>
File: 1673031727809704.gif (920 KB, 480x362)
920 KB
920 KB GIF
>>87504766
>I'm not a /pol/tard with twitter brainrot so no
You do you, but what a fucking retarded conclusion to have arrived at.
>>
>>87506877
Their other departments have much more expenses than WOTC. Their operating costs either eat up almost all money they bring in or they eat more than they produce.
>>
>>87509432
this. and they have no idea how to make them profitable even if stares them in the face. How they failed to capitalize on /mlp/ is beyond me
>>
>>87504766
>Why aren't you an apathetic consumer like me
>>
>>87505186
>>87504883
>>87504903
>>87505136
Toyfag here: When it comes down to ''storytelling brands'', Hasbro's priced ''brand blueprint'' has failed spectacularly. Their dumb system doesn't even work, Bronyshow and Bayformers worked in spite of it and now those idiots think its a golden recipe despite it having failed a dozen times already.

Kids nowadays consume a lot of plushies, explorative toys (toddler toys) and building sets. The best toy brands are Pokemon, Hot Wheels, Marvel, Star Wars (mostly Mandalorian-tier stuff, not the sequel trilogy), LOL!Surprise, Lego and Melissa & Doug. So nothing Hasbro owns themselves, at best stuff they license from Disney
>>
TOP FUCKING KEK
https://twitter.com/RhiposeVtuber/status/1618449360223866880
>>
https://twitter.com/msttrader/status/1618725985389780997

HAPPENING?!?!??!
>>
OOOH SHIT ITS REAL HERE WE GOOOOO
https://toybook.com/hasbro-2022-preliminary-earnings/
>>
>>87500281
Bluey toys are done by Moose (The Shopkins people)
>>
>>87506966
Wait, are Unlimited power 9 not legal?
>>
>>87515274
nope, the backs are different. Chronicles were at least usable, just with a white border. Also like triple the number of cards and most importantly, not a thousand fuckin dollars
>>
>>87503022
If the internet has taught me anything, it's that outrage lasts until the big evil corporation dangles something shiny (and usually expensive) in front of the outraged consumers.
>>
>>87504883
in my experiences with my nephew and the kids he plays with at parks & play places it's more what >>87510964 said and less what >>87505186 said.

as far as actual toy brands go with him it's pretty much paw patrol, hot wheels, marvel, DC, transformers & gundam. and that last one is solely because he started playing with my gunpla models.
>>
>>87504766
>Implying that if you boycott companies you must have twitter brainrot, whatever that is.
You're retarded lol.
>>
>>87513243
>>87513184
Oh no what a surprise, how could no one have seen this coming

Seems like Altafox had a point
>>
>>87513184
>404'd
Ok, what was about?
>>
>>87504766
>what do you mean you are not going to give money to a brand that is fucking you over? you nazi
LMAO, and leftoids still have the gall to call others bootlickers
>>
>>87520000
That Hasbro is cutting 15% of its workforce because it made big losses
> muh 2022 was economic bad year
Dumb excuses. Jakk grew more than 100%, these toy industry fags always blame others for their own problems



[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.