[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Fraction Magic Edition

>NEW UA: CLERICS AND SPECIES
https://media.dndbeyond.com/compendium-images/one-dnd/cleric-and-revised-species/tr8jAj5cc33uQixi/UA-2022-ClericandSpecies.pdf
>UA SURVEY
https://survey.alchemer.com/s3/7147819/OneD-D-UA-2022-Cleric-and-Revised-Species

>New Errata
https://dnd.wizards.com/dndstudioblog/sage-advice-book-updates

>5etools
https://5e.tools/

>Trove
The T̶r̶o̶v̶e̶ Vault (seed, please!):
bit<dot>ly/2Y1w4Md

>Resources:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread: >>87477524

What is the best party lineup if DM banned full casters?
>>
>>87494422
>What is the best party lineup if DM banned full casters?

Paladin, Ranger, Fighter, Artificer
>>
File: sayuribounce2.gif (8 KB, 50x50)
8 KB
8 KB GIF
Make sure to thank your healers for getting you up from 0, /tg/!

>TQ: Whatever you think is the most fun to play.
>>
>>87494422
Zealot Barbarian x4
>>
>>87494464
>no one to revive them
>>
File: 1657747569121.gif (454 KB, 200x246)
454 KB
454 KB GIF
>>87494422
>What is the best party lineup if DM banned full casters
All warlocks
>>
>>87494466
In a world with no full casters, getting a revival is going to be either expensive or just not possible anyways.
>>
File: Taps Head.png (903 KB, 1420x946)
903 KB
903 KB PNG
>>87494466
It's not a problem if you never die
>>
>However, kenku cannot create new sounds and can communicate only by using sounds they have heard. Most kenku use a combination of overheard phrases and sound effects to convey their ideas and thoughts.
That's...that's how language works. Who fucking wrote this shit.
>>
>>87494589
do you really not get it or are you b8ing
>>
>>87494589
>hey bob I really want you to move that girder over there using that crane, but keep it real low to the ground cause the winds getting bad and we need to be able to drop it quickly without impacting too much.

now convey this using imprecise language and snippets you've picked up from other people.

think of it like this: https://youtu.be/3-wzr74d7TI
>>
>>87494589
They can imitate but they can't innovate. They have a mix board, not a language.
>>
>>87494589
>Read a dictionary to a kenku
Problem solved. Eat my ass Wizards.
>>
>>87494658
>snippets you've picked up from other people
Every individual word in that sentence qualifies as that.
>>
>>87494665
So they can't invent entirely new words, but it's not like the average person does that anyway.
As far as using existing words,
>They have a mix board
this is literally the same as everyone else. A person can only use a word if they have heard or seen that word before in order to know that it exists. With the exception that Kenku can't use words they've only read, I suppose.
>>
>>87494671
>>87494678
Yes but your average retard is going to be able to make that sentence no problem, your average kenku probably isn't going to have girder or crane on hand. You can always play it like they do, but that's the idea.
>>
>>87494698
>your average kenku probably isn't going to have girder or crane on hand
What do you mean "on hand"? They only need have heard the words "girder" or "crane" before, which is just as likely for the kenku as it is for anyone else.
>>
>>87494678
They can't even form new sentences, homie. They literally lack the imagination too. They are morning radio DJs and just spam 14 sentences that other people said. In my games it's the same voice as was it originally said in too. It's mimicry.
>>
what race/class combo screams "desperately depressed husk of a former prodigy"
>>
>>87494678
>but it's not like the average person does that anyway.
Are you kidding?

One of the major marks of true fluency in a language is the ability to make up words on the spot in such a way that others can understand you.
>>
>>87494719
Half-elf warlock
>>
>>87494734
Man, that's vrupping stupid. You can't just make up yabug-damn words and expect the average grunk to know what you mean.
>>
>>87494719
a tiefling bard with vicious mockery
>>
>>87494749
And how would this tiefling bard viciously mock me for getting an erection from them?
>>
>>87494761
by calling the town guard on your creepy ass
>>
File: Varric_Tarot_Card.png (147 KB, 256x428)
147 KB
147 KB PNG
Which rogue subclass would be best for a guild merchant style of character, Thief or Swashbuckler?
>>
>>87494780
>town guard proceeds to beat and arrest the demonic seducer
Great work!
>>
>>87494786
Swashbuckler for the insane strength of Panache in negotiations. Or eloquence bard.
>>
Cool non-damaging effect or spell a magic pipe might be able to cast when used?

>bonus action: breathe out and become one with the smoke (mist form) once per day

>action: exhale a cloud of magic smoke that halves magic damage for 1 round when you stand within it, once per day

>action: exhale a cloud of smoke you can fly around on, lasts 1 minute, ends if you dismount, once per day
>>
>>87494786
Got to agree with >>87494805
There's just something a lot more charming about it that a connected man really benefits from
>>
>>87494805
Does the target know they've been charmed from panache like they do from charm person after the one minute is up? Or is it not a magical effect, so there isn't really anything to detect other than "wow, what a suave dude that guy is"?
>>
>>87494835
Let is cast the fog cloud spell. Would be a great hidden tool for when things go south and you need to make an escape.
>>
>>87494835
>Action: Exhale a cloud of magic smoke in a 20ft cone, creatures inside the cone are affected as if by the Sleep spell cast at 3rd level. One use per day.
>Action: Exhale a cloud of magic smoke and cast silent image. Once per day.

>>87494866
Nope, it doesn't state it raw. It just says they're charmed by you for 1 minute and treat you as a friendly acquaintance. And there's no limit on how much you can use it. RAW you're just a charming motherfucker.
>>
File: 1674438871404384.jpg (380 KB, 1137x1500)
380 KB
380 KB JPG
>exhale magic smoke and turn everyone and everything into a fucking mushroom
>>
>bout to perform shenanigans with a powerful but nefarious entity.

I don't actually know how powerful this thing is, but I do know it bargains. what are some fun things I could pump this devil for?

>wants to regain political power and prestige to restore his family name. family estate is in ruins, so maybe I could go for a "fix this" deal?

while that's good character driven, fuck it'd be nice to just be able to idk, fire lightning bolt 3x a day or something.
>>
Thinking of swapping to Pathfinder 2E (temporarily) to see what it's like. How will I, someone who has only played (and quite loves) 5E enjoy it?
>>
>>87494698
NTA, and I should hope that if a kenku has a job that requires them to be directing people in the operation of cranes to pick up girders, then they'd have heard both of those things before. I'd assume a construction worker or foreman would have heard such things in the process of being taught what they were doing at a construction site.
>>
>>87495087
You'll miss some simplicity and things I expect, but PF2e has a lot more options available.
>>
>>87495087
If you love 5e basically anything else will blow your mind.
>>
>no constitution skill checks
Ahem competitive eating?
>>
>>87495216
Use the 3.5 saving throws
>>
>>87494669
Then they'll speak with zero inflection, like a text-to-speech thing
>>
Okay, so if a Plasmoid wants to use Hand and/or Eye of Vecna... how does that work?
>>
>>87495253
Just have it float inside them and form an arm when they use it
>>
>>87495087
>quite loves 5E
>>
File: d7yokgs8qss71.jpg (37 KB, 480x360)
37 KB
37 KB JPG
Talking of plasmoids, what would a plasmoid lich even look like?
>>
>>87495273
it would look gross
>>
>>87495087
It has better action economy than 5e , and a lot of people like it because it swaps caster supremacy for martial supremacy, but lots of other stuff about it is pretty gay. If you like 4e you will probbly like it.
>>
>>87495253
I am the most autistic RAW analyzer and after contemplating this deeply in my RAW cave, I have determined that a Plasmoid can't attune to the eye. Just like a human can't wear two pairs of magic boots (DMG141) because he doesn't have two pairs of feet, a plasmoid cant wear the eye because it doesn't have an eye to cut out. It can wear the hand because it can form a hand and cut that off, but if it then ever wants to use it's amorphous feature to squeeze, it's going to have to die first.

note that RAW explicitly says to use common sense, but I also happen to be the best common sense haver and I've pondered it in my common sense cave also.
>>
>>87495411
How many caves do you have in your home, anon?
>>
Why the fuck can't a multiclassed prepared caster prepare spells counting the overall spell slots? It's retarded
>>
If a cleric just has to believe hard enough to gain divine magic, without a need for gods, and a paladin can channel divine powers through sheer chadness... why can't my Warlock be his own patron?
What would a Pact of Yourself be like?
>>
>>87495475
The paladin thing is already retarded enough
>>
>>87495475
The cleric thing is retarded enough too. Fedora tipping clerics of nothing should have never been able to get powers without having faith in a higher power.
>>
So does every material plane has its own Feywild and Shadowfell, or those are shared between worlds? Is there Shadowfell outer space with Shadowfell planets? If Feywild is exaggerated, what is cosmic vacuum like in Feywild space?
Are Feywilds and Shadowfells all identical? Worlds are very different (you wouldn't confuse Athas for Toril), but when you read about Feywild, its all the same description, and everyone acts like its a singular place, with same Court of Stars, same Seelie/Unseelie Eladrin, etc. And when someone like Yggwilv ascends to archfeydom, she just moves "to the Feywild" without specifying which world's Feywild.
Feywild and Shadowfell are supposed to mirror prime worlds' layout, and yet somehow there can be purely Shadowfell places, like Barovia, and world-agnostic places like Prismeer.
Is Raven Queen a deity of Nerathian Shadowfell or is she multiversal? If she only lives in one world's Shadowfell, why are there Shadar-Kai in other worlds' Shadowfells?
How does this all work?!
Explain!
>>
>>87495475
Most DMs won't allow agnostic clerics and rarely agnostic paladins too (thos it's more likely for paladins to develop powers through sheer determination than belief).
I'm personally on the side that both need to be believers and rely on a god in some way, as divine power are an expression of purity and "perfection" (good or bad), and therefore cannot come or develop alone through a mortal, something else had to intervine.

>Pact of self Warlock
Pretty stupid and kinda atention whoring. People who tend to separate stuff like beliefs for clerics or patrons for warlocks always came off as that annoying aubvertive type. A patron cannot be yourself because a patron shares his power with a weaker entity, while losing your ownership of your soul. How would that work for a single person?
At best I can see a case of simulacrum gone wrong where one copy goes crazy or gets possessed and strips the original one of power, then makes some deal or enslaves it.
>>
>>87495592
The material planes are infinite, but the others aren't-- though in some places they are different or work differently! Like in Eberron.
>>
File: Fall_from_Grace_full.jpg (95 KB, 500x375)
95 KB
95 KB JPG
>>87495544
Counterpoint: picrelated

Also there was an Elder Evil in 3rd edition, who was once a lowly demon who taught mortals that they can channel divinity without gods, and that act made him so impactful on the multiverse he became an Elder Evil and sort of an incarnation of atheism.
>>
>>87495057
A few sessions ago my character made a deal with a vaguely fey/devil esque entity for “witch sight” which in the setting is just Detect Magic. So he has a permanent detect magic effect on himself now.
>>
Is Warlock/Assassin Rogue a good combo-wombo?
>>
>>87495639
Pact of the Blade 5 then Rogue X is the optimized way to do it, most notably the strongest subclass combo is hexblade 5 swashbuckler X so you can get away with 14 Dex and invest in charisma which fuels swashbuckler perks

Since you want to use assassin I suggest going any non-hexblade5 for extra attack then taking Assassin, 13 or 14 CHA and invest on dex. Undead patron has the best mechanical synergy because its features apply to weapon attacks.
Of course you'll be doing darkness+devil's sight all the time to trigger the assassin autocrit.

Finally if you could just keep the invocations and booming blade and go rogue X / warlock 2 but it's worst option, might as well play arcane trickster
>>
I cant do it anymore. We havent had a session in months but I cant help it. The mere though of GMing this piece of garbage of a system makes me want to die.
I just want to play 3.5, pathfinder, 2e or becmi.
>>
>>87495764
I feel you deeply
>>
>>87495596
>be arch wizard
>make a simulacrum
>ascend to lichdom
>undead patron for your simulacrum for an agent in the living world

Sounds pretty kino my man
>>
In my experiene ranger 5 / druid or cleric X is better than pure ranger
Would you agree?
>>
>>87496060
Or a clone, who is also a phylactery for part of the lich’s soul
>>
>>87495216
There are no skill checks in 5e. It's all ability checks. This is important.
>>
>>87495639
I don't know but I'm a 6th level assassin who's about to get sneeded into serving a hag for warlock points, I intend to get to 9th lvl rogue and then just keep taking warlock levels until the campaign ends. The assassin traits kind of suck and I can just use invocations or spells for invis/disguise/utility while dealing great burst damage if I get the drop on dudes. Ultimately, if your party is okay with you leading the ambush and your gm is reasonable in allowing you to surprise enemies, you're going to have a lot of extra options to play with. Don't worry about optimal level distribution, odds are you won't ever reach lvl 20 anyway.
>>
>>87496064
I don’t know man, some of those level 7 subclass features are pretty good
>>
>>87496092
>Don't worry about optimal level distribution, odds are you won't ever reach lvl 20 anyway.
This is true and the reason why one should build level per level rather than doing some meme combo that comes online at level 8 or something
Given how 5e works nothing feels worse than not getting extra attack or third level spells when you hit 5 while your companions do
>>
>>87494669
I always thought the better way was for them to have been with a traveling theater troupe, so they can say a large number of mostly relevant things, but always in an overblown, pompous manner, and often with random names in apposition.
>>
>>87496112
This is true if you start from lvl 1-3 and go from there. If your 8th lvl guy dies and you make a new one with all multiclass options available without the grind, then you can do your meme combo hassle free.
Perhaps this mentality is a bit gay and powergamey, but it all comes down to how you play it.
>>
>>87495470
Because that’d be bullshit and you know it.
>>
>>87496138
That's true too
I really miss prestige classes that advanced previous features, even partially
>>
How can I make a tankier, beefier, more fighter-esque warlock?
>>
>>87496269
Be an hexblade or hexadin
Be fighter 1 / warlock X pact of the blade
>>
>>87496060
I'll do you one better;
>Sentient ex-Phylactery looking for someone to turn into a lich
Possibly Yandere/crazy as a bag of shit house rats and wants to keep you all to herself foreverandeverandeverandeverand-
>>
>>87496064
What are the best subclasses for this?
Assuming minimum level 7: ranger 5 druid 2 and building around WIS like a discount hexblade thanks to shillelagh and magic stone?
Slayer/Fey Wanderer and Stars Druid should be optimal
>>
File: chimera race.png (1.56 MB, 1020x1320)
1.56 MB
1.56 MB PNG
What's the most busted shit you can make with this?
I will nerf it accordingly
>>
File: 1e29dnw83jtbs7.jpg (104 KB, 630x560)
104 KB
104 KB JPG
>>87496064
Ranger has always been the bastard child of 5e.
>>
>>87495639
not if you're a dwarf
>>
>>87496611
Are these ORs to be treated as inclusive or exclusive ORs? Do traits qualify that do what the bullet point says plus something else?
>Deathless Nature
>>You have advantage on saving throws against disease and being poisoned, and you have resistance to poison damage.
>>You have advantage on death saving throws.
>>You don't need to eat, drink, or breathe.
>>You don't need to sleep, and magic can't put you to sleep. You can finish a long rest in 4 hours if you spend those hours in an inactive, motionless state, during which you retain consciousness.
That's a single trait of the Reborn race.
>>
>shoot crossbow bolt into enemy
>bonus action heat metal it
problem dm?
>>
>>87496713
The metal is inside of the enemy, you need to see the metal in order to heat it.
>Choose a manufactured metal object, such as a metal weapon or a suit of heavy or medium metal armor, that you can see within range.

There is a problem, you cannot read your own fucking spells.
>>
>>87496728
full-metal bolt?
>>
>>87496768
If you specify that you are going to request from a blacksmith a set of metal only bolts, pay more accordingly, accept they take a while to be made and acknowledge they'll have a relatively small max range reduction, I will allow it, but otherwise the normal bolts will be just normal bolts with wood and iron.
>>
>>87496728
in order to BA heat metal it, the person had to already have cast heat metal on a previous round

PS you are gay
>>
>>87496669
Fuck.
They were meant to be inclusive.
Okay, if anyone asks lineage "races" are excluded. They're not races after all, wotc bureaucracy works in my favor here.
>>
>5e artificier is just a spellcaster
>pf2 artificier is just a martial
i can never win can i
>>
File: Arcanum_cover_copy.jpg (41 KB, 248x300)
41 KB
41 KB JPG
>>87496985
What do you want? Picrelated as a class?
>>
>>87496713
I kove heat metal but I can't use it because my DM hates spells and any time you try to use a spell in a clever way you get tucked.
We're fighting a dulhallan/animated armor, so I use it on the chest piece. Then the DM makes the armor force a grappling check on anyone close to it and if you fail it grabs your head and pushes it against the heating metal for 2d8 of fire damage. This does not count as the action and the armor attacked on that round too.
Told him I needed to use a BA for it to do damage but he ruled it that way anyway.
>>
>>87497005
Your DM has the worst form of autism known to mankind: being a control freak DM who hates fun
>>
>>87497021
Fun is not a part of this game.
You exist to walk through my story and react to plot twists, you imbecile mongrels.
>>
I'm gonna play a fairy shepherd druid in a upcoming homebrew campaign. Hes gonna be some kind of circus tamer.

Any one good some recommandations for some nice fey wild themed beasts i could summon?
>>
Do male Eldarin even exist? Are biys allowed to play Eldarin?
Every time I see someone play an Eladrin, its a girl player playing female Eladrin.
>>
>>87497038
Just drop the shitty control freak DM honestly there's no worse tabletop experience. If you just try to be remotely funny, cool, easy to get along with, you will land a cool DM. Control freak DMs are always looking for players because they have mcdonalds fry cook tier turnover rates
>>
>>87496985
In my revamp project, it gets half spellcasting progression and half combat superiority progression, if that makes you feel better.
>>
>nnoooo, my sacred agencyyyyy
>m-my shitty peasant fuuuun
>waaaaaa

Players are such an immature flocl of sheep. Grow the fuck up.
>>
>>87496985
artificer is gay and so are you

>>87497064
probably. its a bit hard to tell
>>
>>87496985
>he doesn't want to be an armorer and become a non shitty mecha protagonist beating the fuck out of everyone
>he doesn't want to be a battlesmith and fight alongside his robotic hound
>He doesn't want to be an artilerist and every round give himself and his allies 1d8 + int mod temp hp on a 10 feet aoe while also doing booming blades at 5th level for 2d8+1d6 for a staff+2d8 if they move at all
>he doesn't want to swing his sword and cast acid bolt, infuse his shield to sparkle mid fight and make a forcefield, he doesn't want to pluck a rose from his staff and throw it as a fireball or even just chug a potion and breathe fire or chest thump and blast off a lightning bolt

You are unironically a massive fucking faggot Anon, holy shit.
>>
>play with a party
>its fun, but they put effort neither in characters' story/flavour/roleplay, nor into creative builds
>eladrin who ignore the personality change, dragon sorcerer who doesn't show his bloodline in any way, bard with zero creativity, etc
>gonna start new campaign with them soon
>gotta resist temptation to make a version of some of their characters to show them has its meant to be played properly
Ugh
>>
Redpill me on Nentir Vale. Is it a good setting, compared to FR or Greyhawk?
>>
>>87497195
Half the time you'll just get called out for being extra or edgy if you do those things.
>>
File: 1670465407114.png (593 KB, 1280x720)
593 KB
593 KB PNG
>>87495273
Not as good as the bard.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jR9ETFm_69g&t=216s
>>
>>87494422
If my character thinks:
>moral values are real, metaphysical, and transcendent
>social norms are fake, enforceable only by power and hypocrisy
What alignment is that? Neutral good or chaotic good?
>>
>>87494589
The best Kenku I had in my group would write down sentences other players said and talk using only them while trying to emulate the tone of the time it was said, mixing sentences from different players.

Basically his character was a walking Youtube Poop machine and it was hilarous. Best take on the race I had by far.
>>
File: culdcept.png (1.06 MB, 625x781)
1.06 MB
1.06 MB PNG
>>87495273
>>
>>87497286
chaotic good
chaos thinks order is gay
>>
>>87497343
Okay, thanks. I was a bit confused because NG can sometimes break laws if it is against moral goodness, but I guess that's only for Draconian stuff, like if they weren't allowed to help or feed beggars.
>>
>>87497354
You can break the law even as Lawful Good.
To be Lawful you have to follow some sort of code, law, or other orderly structure, and believe it is the genuinely right and correct thing to do.
But it doesn't have to be the law laid down by mortal rulers, if you believe you answer to a higher law.
>>
>>87497288
That's what they are intended to be, I reckon. You don't hear words and then say them as you want, you literally copy paste what you heard, exactly as you've heard it
>>
>>87497398
The problem is basically everyone plays CG as the second kind of LG you mentioned
>>
Conjure Elemental or Animate Objects?
The former lasts a lot longer and is very easy to bind into semi-permanent service if we have the money for Planar Binding, but the latter deals a ton of damage over its short duration if I go for tiny objects.
>>
There's a game on Saturday, I'm thinking about going to see how it's DM'd in order to learn. But I also want to play as I think hands-on is the best way to learn.

For my character, I was thinking about rolling with a jackass Cleric. A doctor that'll patch you up without anesthetic after you were warned not to open the mimic chest, or charge into some dumbshit encounter.
Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions?

I don't want to minmax or power-game. I just wanna have some fun.
>>
The bard who merely hums
>>
>>87497506
>at 10th level he gets a kazoo
>>
What does everyone think of the Spell Points casting variant? It significantly limits the use of high level magics in a campaign, since you can only use spell points to create one slot of each level of 6th or higher per long rest.
>>
>>87497474
Clerics aren't so much healers as they are damage-dealers with some healing spells.
There aren't really any pure healing classes in 5e.
Your character concept is still fine, just be aware that most of what you do is probably not going to be healing other party members.
>>
>>87497437
There's a line, but it is a fine one.
>Lawful Good: there is a STRICT, CLEARLY DEFINED set of rules that brings goodness and defends against evil, it might be above mortal laws and might contradict them, so in that case mortal laws get fucked.
>If the mortal laws happen to be all-round evil, not just flawed, I can fight against them, but only with the intention of replacing them with new, good laws.
If feeding the poor is illegal in otherwise decent system of laws, and your code does not say something like "Let no child starve", feeding them would be against the alignment

>Neutral Good
>You just do the right thing, as long as you don't harm more innocent people or cause more harm in the process. Law is more of a convenience or inconvenience. You can work within the system or subvert it a bit, but not much, because then people would suffer.
>If a law is evil, you will fight against it, so people don't suffer. You won't care about aspects that don't concern with people suffering.
You will feed the poor, covertly, without pomp.

>Chaotic Good is angry that law is harming people. If law is flawed, it must be torn down or circumvented. It matters only as an enemy, or sometimes as a tool, to turn it against itself.
>You will fight against a decent but flawed law just as fiercely as you will against an evil law, and you will try to tear it all down.
Chaotic Good would feed the poor, raid the guard office, beat up guards who enforce the no-poor-feeding law, steal their rations and give to the poor. And maybe also give the poor guards' weapons and incite a revolt. Sure, some will die, but it is for the greater good.
>>
>>87497474
What you described is a vhuman rogue with the healer feat
>>
>>87497506
I guess he must be a hum-an
>>
>>87497215
It wasn't supposed to be a setting, but an example for you how to fill in published adventures into your own world. Then some retards demanded it to be made a proper setting.
>>
Wait, was Rezmir getting railed by twins? Twin black dragon DP?
>>
File: fa6.png (506 KB, 1266x688)
506 KB
506 KB PNG
>>87497600
>>
>>87497474
sounds obnoxious
>>
Does Extra Attack work with Magic Stone?
>>
>>87498017
Yes.
>>
>>87498025
And with the Archery Style?
>>
Wouldn't you rather use Scales of Tiamat instead of gold? C'mon
>>
Last session we got brutally beaten by the current antagonist. He decided that it wasn't a dramatic, public enough humiliation so he grabbed one of us (my warlock) to interrogate and left. My warlock died out of combat from failed death saves after taking 5 bludgeoning damage from being violently thrown against a tree. Oh well, roll stats and move along.

Except I'm a dao genie warlock and resistant to bludgeoning damage. I didn't realize until a few days later, but I should have lived through that and had a chance to escape/let the rest of the party catch up and rescue me.

What would you do with this? I have a fully fleshed out new wizard now. The death was at the beginning of the session so we have ~3 hours of game time where my warlock was assumed dead. DM says we can full retcon, make my new guy a temp character until my warlock shows up again in dramatic fashion, or roll with the new guy and warlock stays dead. My gut says that I fucked up by forgetting about a class feature, and I shouldn't try to get my DM to retcon anything because of that.
>>
>>87496611
Anything with heavy armor proficiency can dump strenght and still get 25ft of movement via the dwarf trait
Rogue can get the longbow proficiency via the wood elf perk
Anything can get greatsword and medium armor proficiency via the Gith trait
Anything can easily get booming blade+shillelagh

Overall nothing worth mentioning outsider of very niche half-meme builds I guess
>>
>>87498369
I'd say have the Warlock turn up later and the new guy turn out to be a traitor working for some antagonist as yet unseen.
Also you better have your Warlock turn up like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI27mX1BHvk
Or you're not playing right.

I'd say it's not a retcon, your character was just off-screen after the BBEG wrapped him around a tree to try and kill him not realizing he'd survive. It's a cut-away.
>>
>>87498369
It was YOUR fuckup but also the GMs for forgetting. He's completely fine with a retcon and a dramatic reveal back and having a temp guy and you can have a hype moment where if your party thought you were dead they get to be surprised and have their buddy come back to life to continue on their journey which is fun.
>>
>>87498369
I wouldn't retcon. But everyone else agreed so it shouldn't matter
>>
>>87498369
The warlock died while kidnapped and away from the party, right? Why is any real retcon necessary to just say he's still kidnapped but not dead? Does the party even know for sure that he's dead in-character yet?
>My gut says that I fucked up by forgetting about a class feature
This is totally valid, but personally I think that it's fine to do an "actually I forgot about X, so Y did/didn't happen" if you're not having to walk back all the actual gameplay you did in the interim. Especially because this was forgetting about a trait, not an ability. Dying because you forgot your character could DO something is at least in-universe a possible brain fart/freeze moment, but dying for example to a damage type your character is immune to because you forgot that he was immune to it is just silly.
>>
>>87498471
The party caught up with them within the hour off some good tracking rolls and Locate Object on an object my warlock was carrying. BBEG is strong, but lacks teleportation or flight and we did manage to kill his wizard during the fight. The party currently has posession of my warlock's body.
>>
My players killed a young red dragon last session, what should I let them make with it's body parts? The artificer in the party is very excited to be able to craft the other PCs some good gear.
>>
>>87498521
In that case have him just wake up.
>Turns out he beat me retarded, but I'm still alive at least, hah-oh fuck my ribs, I shouldn't laugh.
>>
>>87498532
Best my party could come up was a life-sized dragon dildo we put on exhibition in the village.
>>
>>87498521
>>87498537
Yeah, you could just say he was beaten unconscious and he suddenly wakes up. It's not like they found him decapitated or anything.
Alternatively, he died for real and he makes some kind of bargain with his patron for a (potentially time-limited) second chance on the condition he completes some specific objective for the patron.
Third option, he's dead for real and the patron tells him to pound sand, there are still ways of resurrecting the dead. Your party knows/hears of a temple with a cleric powerful enough to cast Raise Dead (or hears of someone who has such a cleric captive if the travel alone isn't enough of a speed bump) and has 10 days to get to him and resurrect the warlock. Give your new wizard Gentle Repose if you want less urgency on it.
>>
>>87498532
Could go with a classic dragon scale armour, make some blood elixirs that work like a potion of fire breathing, craft weapons out of its teeth and bones that deal an extra point of fire damage or you could just create the very first bad dragon dildo
>>
>>87498532
Dragon Scale Mail naturally, vials of dragon blood as well, dragonhide belt, Dragon Thighbone Club if you wanna meme it up with a barbarian, dragonwing bow, a stirring dragons vessel, some kind of mask or a cape.

Pick and choose at most three, no more.
>>
>>87498532
This edition doesn't have shit for this stuff because it's garbage
I suggest letting him produce 3.5 dragonhide armor, it's statted like the armour in the PHB but it can be worn by druids. There are rules for how many he can make but I guess you want to wing it
>>
>>87497581
>all of my paladins are NG
I feel like its the perfect alignment for the class, honestly.
>>
>>87498532
make them do survival checks to salvage parts! and don't let them get all the parts from one dragon! and don't let them get more than one!

I have an asshole DM.
>>
>>87498693
LE paladins are cool too
>>
>>87495475
>sheer chadness
That's pretty much the Oath of Glory
>>
>>87498748
Shame how underrepresented they are.
>>
I'm thinking about bringing back the old version of Healing Spirit for the Druids, Rangers, and Bards. I didn't have any issues with this in combat to begin with, as its timing is a tiny bit slow, but not unusable. Out of combat, through the use of reactions + their movement you could have each injured ally regain for the cost of a 2nd level spell regain 20d6 hit points, which is basically fully healing them at low levels. 3rd level heals for 40d6 which is a full heal at even high levels. This is fine, I think I'd rather have the party be fully healed before a fight starts than chomping at the bit for HP, plus they still expend resources to get that HP.
Anyone think this is a bad idea or have any reason why this wouldn't be good for the game?
>>
>>87497128
h-hey... you forgot to mention alchemist...
>>
>>87499174
at low levels its strong, at higher levels it's fine

>t. dropped healing spirit on my 15th level ranger because our paladin had aura of vitality

remove the limit when cast at 3rd or higher level
>>
>DM canceled due to burn out
Is it over guys?
>>
>>87499412
Yes, you're free to DM now...
>>
>>87499415
Nah I already quit being perma DM for this group.
>>
Rolled 14, 8, 1, 10, 3, 19 = 55 (6d20)

Rolling my nigga dwarf
>>
Rolled 1, 17, 9, 8, 19, 1 = 55 (6d20)

>>87499674
Oh my
>>
>>87499674
Mr glass
>>
>>87494422
>What is the best party lineup if DM banned full casters?
Finding a new table.
>>
>>87499320
Everyone forgets alchemist. Nobody really likes the potion man and him constantly trying to bullshit throwing molotovs or doing potions in 5 seconds with just like an empty bottle in their hands or a pestle and mortar.
>>
What can I do to my 5e campaign to make it more mundane, so that the fantastical elements are just that much more strange by comparison?

I've already decided only playable Human and Human adjacent races, which look human but with minor differences. I.e Half-elve, Half-orcs, Tieflings, Aasimar, and maybe Genasi?

Should I have few magic items, or maybe magic items are rather mundane in appearance? I know they will not be available for purchase at shops. They need to be found, earned, or made.
>>
>>87499945
Kill yourself
>>
>>87499942
That's the fault of 5e being fucking horrible to look at let alone playing
>>
>>87498432
Well I went through race by race to build the most broken shit I could, picrel was what I came up with.
>Flight for heart
>duergar resilience for body
>child of the sea for limbs
>tireless precision for brain

All in all it's kind of underwhelming?
Flight and swim is great, but even I'm not convinced that's the best use of heart. Most dms shit all over Flight speeds, it's always a risk to use.
The rest is just nice to have.

I suppose there might be a wombo-combo I haven't thought of
>>
>>87499942
I remember potion man
>>
>>87500080
Now that I thought about it there's also the Yuan-Ti Magic Resistance. That's something everyone would want purely for minmaxing purposes.
>>
>>87500034
Fuck off you unhelpful cunt.
>>
>>87499945
Gritty Realism for players
Grim hyperrealism for npcs
>1 month long rests, 7day short rests
Actually track spell components
>>
>>87500136
I was on the fence between that and duergar resilience, I think the extra poison res puts it slightly over.
Everything in that list is super common to have to deal with in my experience, magic saves are a hard thing to pass up though
>>
>>87500074
It really isn't considering Artificers have all their fucking spells be material by default and you can use your shield and weapon as a fucking focus, it just breaks the theme with the goddamn alchemist. Runic shield filled with pizazz charging up a lightning bolt is fine, a forest staff with growing flowers spitting acid and flames is rad for an artilerist, an armorer can make rad as fuck shit like a magic missile rack with a mini mecha suit which also fine and fun but then the goddamn potion man usually can't bullshit an alchemical shield or a staff or sword of alchemy, they just feel like they gotta be the "hold on guys, gotta gut this deer for his gut juice and brew a 1d6 random potion from it" shtick or throw flasks all the time.

Their lack of flavour is a player made issue. Infuse your two main things you dorks.
>>87500130
Those ones at least look kinda cool.
>>
>>87500130
Man all it would take for the alchimist to be decent is making a diet version of pf1 alchemist. Fucking hell
>>
File: 1639945170998.png (649 KB, 500x500)
649 KB
649 KB PNG
>be factory wagie for 3 years
>stuoid manchild so I sleep 5 hours a night and get up at 5 a.m.
>remember when I started waging I had so many ideas for things I filled the notepad they gave me with DnD ideas
>now I barely do anything
>try to make hexcrawls in my notebook but I just get dissatisfied by what I make and discard it
>still run one game a week but I have no new ideas for campaigns
>vocabulary is disintegrating
>2000 hours of missed sleep and I'm probably doomed to dementia in a few years
>already have no energy for prepping and feel like I have no time either
>pretty sure the only way to heal me at this point is NEETing but I'm 28 and if I go NEET now I will confirm dying a virgin
Has anyone else been through this? Fucked up their life and felt their soul die then healed it? Nothing feels real anymore, it feels like my life before didn't even exist, like I'm an island in time. Ideas used to come to me, names, places, traps, music. The last thing I did was create 52 homebrew plant monsters for 5e a year ago but now I cant even imagine doing that.
>>
>>87500215
>throw flasks all the time.
They don't even get proficiency for that for crying out loud
>>
>>87500222
How bout you don't fucking sleep 5 hours a day dipshit, how bout you eat like a person and not a dog, how bout you stop complaining on /tg/ vying for sympathy of other fellow miserymaxxers and instead go fix your problem with a goddamn nap? You are burnt the fuck out llike a match you dipshit, go get your phosphorus back or forever be discarded from cognitive ability from years of neglect and abuse self perpetrated because baby wanna stay online all day long with work to do and a life to live.

Wanker.
>>
>>87500199
The duergar trait is good but magic resistance is in its own league among racial traits. It's blanket advantage against magic.
>>
>>87500261
Oh they do since they're technically casting spells, that's just their one flavour thing for every single goddamn spell however. I throw a flask, I drink a potion, I throw a flask of fire, I drink a potion, I am going to... throw another bottle after I in 3 seconds brew it, don't ask how that one works.
>>
>>87494422
4 BM hand crossbow Fighters
>>
>>87500303
If you throw an oil flask, an ALCHEMIST's fire or anything like that as an Alchemist you don't get to add your proficiency bonus to the attack roll.
And I see you're arguing about reflavoring cantrips and spells as potions. I wouldn't stop anyone from doing that but it's so sad it's unreal
>>
>>87500372
It’s literally what the class as written tells you to do.
>>
>>87500451
Don't bother responding to schizos.
>>
>>87500451
Because you get to use the alchemist supplies as a spellcasting focus, right? Let's not pretend it is remotely acceptable design. It's literally the "just reflavor it bro".
>>87500485
Excuse me for having standards and liking alchemists
>>
>>87500586
No, because there’s a textbox that explicitly tells you to do it.
>>
>>87500372
Oh absolutely but that's not spells. Nobody has proficiency in improvised weapons unless they take a homebrew or a feat for it as usual, I just really find it uninspiring that with all the magical knowledge, infusions and all that an artificer could do, they still have to rely on some throw the flask shit as their main casting flavour.
>>
File: 1265.jpg (57 KB, 300x300)
57 KB
57 KB JPG
*siiiiiiiiiiiiiip*
>>
>>87494786
Playing a different game, DnD doesn't do non-combat classes
>>
Why do DMs think that players have to take damage or lose resources in every fight?

Our DM just had a fit against me because I brought up the rules. He can't get surprise on the party now because we can have passive 23 perception and the Alert feat. Every enemy we encounter begins the fight with a held action. He personally attacked me in a 5 minute rant telling me that the game wasn't for me and I should fuck off, until the other guys at the table told him he was out of line and complete bullshit and maybe he should stop being dm, so he backed down and we just continued the game. I've got a Savage Worlds campaign ready to go as soon as this one is over, but fights in dnd take so god damn long especially when the DM makes a new house rule every week to stop my spells from ending fights.
Known this guy for 10 years and all he does is complain about 5e, but refuses to run anything else.
Wish ogl apocalypse happened a year earlier.
>>
>>87500769
Well that guy sounds like a fag, but encounters are literally meant to consume player resources.
D&D is a game around intelligently using the resources available to you.
>>
>>87500599
In the subclass description. Which is divorced from the actual mechanics. That's precisely my main issue.
>>87500610
I agree. For me it's the worst subclass of the game because of this.
>>87500708
Exactly.
>>
>>87500769
The guy is a faggot but he's also right on principle. Dnd is designed around having encounters. But he's also too stupid to challenge his players without looking unfair so fuck him
>>
>>87500344
Unfortunately they do nothing against enemies immune to nonmagical.

A party of multiclass monks can work, they can get some bullshit that does magic damage or cast spells with ki points. I'd like to see the dm's face when the whole party is monks.
>>
>>87500222
Did you get the fake vaccine for the wuflu?
>>
>>87500883
>when the whole party is monks

So, the story of the campaign revolves around this priceless ancient manuscript, which contains the divine truth of the universe. You are tasked with...
- Retrieving?
- Protecting?
- Destroying?
...copying it a few hundred times for other monasteries. With miniature paintings and drawings of knights fighting giant snails. Get on with it.
>>
>>87500222
fix your shit, or figure out why you dont want to fix your shit. its that easy
>>
>>87500182
I still want my players to enjoy playing.

I'm thinking rests should stay as is, but long rests can only be done in safe and secure locations. Also HP not being meat points. Critical hits still will cause injury though, and death saves only reset on a Long Rest.
>>
How can a powerful archfey fuck with a party of level 11 adventures?
>>
>>87501114
with le epic musicals
>>
>>87500222
Get a job with a lighter workload so you can do manchild shit on the clock.
When I was a cashier for a couple years I stole all the time I could out of my sleep schedule because I knew I'd be forced to be standing and present the next day regardless. Since switching to work-from-home software dev, I'm always well-rested because I have barely any oversight so I know that if I stay up too late I'll just end up sleeping through my workday regardless, so I'm not gaining any extra time. Even still I sometimes do stay up too late and do end up sleeping all day. The rest of the time, I only have to do at most 4 hours of actual work for an 8-hour paycheck, so it hardly even feels like I have a job.
>>
>>87501114
Send them on a trip in the Feywild to find him. He awaits them at the end and reveals he just wanted to watch how they would get there
>>
>>87500769
That's kind of the idea on fighting. You aren't going to swamp through hordes of asthmatic lung donors and crippled children for an entire campaign, as entertaing as that could be.

I said it in the last thread but resources should come back every new fight/encounter. It eliminates hoarding for the potential 'what if I need it later' mindset and also it just makes sense. Hard to be the heroes of the story when you're little better than an NPC and only capable of being heroic a couple of times before you need a lunch break or full nights rest.
>>
>>87501179
>I said it in the last thread but resources should come back every new fight/encounter. It eliminates hoarding for the potential 'what if I need it later' mindset
That's precisely what dnd is designed around. It's supposed to have difficulty. If you just want to narrate the cool shit you do you don't need a system
>>
>>87499945
>so that the fantastical elements are just that much more strange by comparison?
You aren't going to hit that motif. Because people signed up for 5e, not CoC. Not LOTR. Not some isekai with cloistered dwarves that use geometric magic.You're playing in a system with every class capable of some kind of spellcasting where spells are a third of the handbook and over half of the classes and options.
You're literally trying to strip the fun stuff out of the game to hit a motif literally nobody is signing up for 5e for. You're not going to make a more ~magical experience~ by limiting everyone to playing fucking Daves. You're just making an obtuse game when the real answer has been shouted at you for years.
>HAVE
>YOU
>TRIED
>>
>>87500769
First off, combat and conflict is meant to be about decisions, which means resource investment. Could a 4th level slot right now save everyone from taking a chunk of damage? Should I use Action Surge to rush through the trapped hallway to force the monsters chasing us through it as well? That's the core of the game, making decisions. Even then, encounters are mostly designed (allegedly) around you potentially being at 100% for every one. Which I personally find the best way to prep; it means everyone goes into a fight with all their options and I can either set up the bowling pins if the encounter isn't meant to be a drain, or set up a cannon that makes for a more fun dynamic.

That said, if your DM is shitting his diaper because he CAN'T SURPRISE YOU then he already sucks cock at adventures if not being able to do that is so detrimental to your prep you go on a fucking tirade about it. Passive Perception is easy to beat, the word is teleportation.
>>
>>87500769
>Why do DMs think that players have to take damage or lose resources in every fight?
Literally what the gameplay loop of D&D is.
>>
>>87499945
Ask your players.

>Hey I had thought of this idea, is there any middle ground where I don't ruin the game for all of you guys?
>>
If there's such a shortage of DMs, why does DM have to care what is fun for his players?
You do you, fellow DMs, and let the players fuck off if they don't like something. Two more will take the place of each one that leaves.

Remember - DMs matter, its their story. Players don't.
>>
>>87501439
>middle ground
Only legitimate soi fags deal in middle grounds. You must find an absolute point of view and hold it, in any situation.
>>
>>87501355
what a retarded opinion
>>
>>87501097
>I'm thinking rests should stay as is, but long rests can only be done in safe and secure locations.
I'm not a fan of longer rest durations either, but I like slow natural healing. I'm also cobbling on a houserule with rest benefits being dependent on a comfort/amenities rating equivalent to the lifestyles in the PHB.
>At the end of a long rest, a character regains spent Hit Dice, up to a number of dice equal to half of the character's total number of them. You regain at least 1 Hit Die when you finish a long rest. A character can spend Hit Dice to heal at the end of a long rest, just as with a short rest.
>Finishing a long rest with poor amenities or better reduces a creature's exhaustion level by 1, provided that the creature has also ingested some food and drink. When finishing a long rest with aristocratic amenities, the creature's exhaustion level is reduced by 2 instead.
>Additionally, after finishing a long rest with at least comfortable amenities, a character regains all lost hit points.
I'm still debating whether you can rest at all with wretched comfort/amenities, which would be inside most dungeons or when exposed to the elements. Squalid amenities covers basic shelter and only gives hit dice back for you to spend. Poor and above all require permanent structures. Give out with levels of exhaustion for dropping to 0 HP as well as adverse environmental conditions.
>>
Is swashbukler rogue better as a single class or multiclassed with something like battlemaster, barbarian, or hexblade?
>>
It's gotten a lot slower.
Did everyone fuck off to Pathfinder?
>>
>>87502353
Everyone and their mother is making their own grand rework homebrew that will replace D&D One for everyone
>>
>>87500222
Nice trips, but do you really need to keep reposting this? Go wallow in self pity on /r9k/ with the rest of the chumps.
>>
>>87494786
Mastermind, then try to earn an NPC Sidekick or 2 ASAP.
>>
File: gygax DM vs storyteller.png (884 KB, 1776x609)
884 KB
884 KB PNG
>>87501704
>its their story
ya dun goofed
>>
>>87502353
The only people left here are PHB only retards and corporate bootlickers.
>>
You can summon Quasits? Aren't those what Bill Cosby used to dope up those poor women?
>>
>>87502441
Gygax is trash and his opinion doesn't matter
>>
>>87502553
Drama class is on the left
>>
Is it better to have higher AC or to have advantage and/or proficiency in saving throws?
>>
>>87502526
>be at a bar
>go to the bathroom
>come back and someone has summoned a quasit in your drink
wat do?
>>
>>87502712
Bind it as my familiar.
>>
Tough or Resilient Dex on a fighter?
>>
>>87502353
It's been dying for the last couple years for whatever reason. I don't think this final nail was all that drastic.
>>
>>87502688
With higher AC, you're less likely to need saving throws.
>>87502861
What kind of fighter?
>>
>>87502553
Based. Some old boomer YouTuber nobody thinks he can tell me how to play?
>>
>>87499383
>t. dropped healing spirit on my 15th level ranger because our paladin had aura of vitality
For in combat I get it, for out of combat I don't follow. Your 2nd level spell slot Healing Spirit is healing each party member 20d6 whereas a 3rd level Aura of Vitality is healing 20d6 for a single party member.
>>
How would you have planned to fight a young black dragon in its lair with a 5th level party? The lair includes a small lake in which the dragon can seek cover and recharge its breath weapon, and two of the characters in question are a warlock and a druid.
>>
>>87500222
>then healed it?
everything except that part. I've been NEETing since 2003 and it never gets any better. if you're lucky soon you'll be blessed by the sleep apnea fairy and then you won't sleep even when you sleep.
>>
>>87503959
are you the party or the DM?

If I were the party I'd look for somewhere that isn't the dragon's living room where everything is in their favor.
>>
>>87504061
I am the DM, this is Forge of Fury, the two characters who played today are 800 experience away from 5th level and any additional PCs will be 5th level if they join after the two have reached 5th level.
>>
File: black dragon wip.jpg (183 KB, 1280x828)
183 KB
183 KB JPG
>>87504110
Oh I know what it is, I just didn't want to be like
>well when the spoiler happens be sure to use dirty DM tricks

I've run it a few times. Prep your DCs for falling in and getting out of rushing water. The lake is a huge advantage. Pretend to be alligator. It's your living room, don't be in a rush. Let them get the lay of what land their is and see anything that would encourage them to go further. You have both air and sea advantage, and you're cruel. Channel your inner black cat. Toy with them, eat the mice one at a time. Sit out a round if your breath doesn't recharge and they aren't bringing the pressure. It's your domain, your timeline. Generally I imagine just getting back from eating a fat cow, so I'm not hungry nor particularly concerned about the mice.

I don't ever concern myself with how the party might approach things or their spells, powers, etc. they have what they have and as a foil I wouldn't know anyway.
>>
I just tried to watch the first episode of Vox Machina and had to close after a minute. The humour is so cringe and it's written in terms of "lol lets make fun of tropes"
Why do people like it?
>>
>>87504297
Goyslop.
>>
>>87504297
Some people like it as mildly entertaining background shit. Personally I'd much rather play than press play but it's hard to understand boys like these to begin with anon. Sometimes you just have to realize some fags would rather watch someone play lê evil devil people but goode instead of making their own dudes and such.
>>
I need cool names for the Two-Weapon Fighting and Great Weapon Fighting combat styles.
I'll gave manuals of combat styles in my campaign, and those two are just too long and uncool to put in magic item name
>>
>>87504406
Living vicariously through actors who make characters (probably with more forethought about how it's received for the show than anything) seems so cucked. It's like people want to play DnD without ever even engaging with it properly.
>>
>>87504478
And that's why Critical Role has poisoned this hobby.
>>
>>87504459
DOOL WEEYULD and Biggus Dickus
>>
>>87504297
If people recorded and broadcasted your D&D sessions it would also be super fucking cringe.
>>
>>87504740
Reddit is that-a way
>>
>>87504754
Good thing I don't bother trying to mix entertainment with TTRPGs. Also, Vox Machina is a TV show they make and it's scripted.
>>
I was just kicked from my group for performing the Nazi salute as the somatic component for Cloudkill last week and they didn't even tell me until the night before the day we meet up. We've been playing since September 2021. We were just about to enter the last dungeon.
>>
>>87504783
I like your group.
They are better off without you.
>>
>>87504783
I like you.
You're better off without that group.
>>
>>87504783
I don't like any of you. Fuck off.
>>
>>87504774
C1 wasn't scripted, at least not in the beginning. It's just mega cringe because of the woke and Marvel capeshit direction they took with both the live show and anime. It might not even be a live show anymore. They could just record and upload VODs and leave their chat to the illusion.
Also someone post that combat wheelchair webm.

>>87504783
Most people frown on that sort of shit you /pol/tard. I don't know what you expected.
>>
>>87505109
>C1
I'm talking about the Amazon show, I should have specified:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Legend_of_Vox_Machina
>>
>>87505109
I thought most people could tell an ironic, edgy joke was just an ironic, edgy joke.
>>
>>87505129
I did a Roman salute as a joke at a bar and people thought I was a Nazi until I explained I was doing it to show respect to Hezbollah.
>>
>>87505129
Libtard groomer faggots specifically choose to be ignorant that jokes and humor exist. It gets them a sexual rush whenever they can abuse people or force them out of a group.
>>
>>87505129
I mean yeah, but it sounds like you either botched the delivery or come off as a chud. Or both. Regardless, you got axed.
>>
File: headcanon critical role.png (1.2 MB, 1198x1440)
1.2 MB
1.2 MB PNG
>>
File: file.png (441 KB, 615x382)
441 KB
441 KB PNG
Campaign finale begins. Wish me luck.
>>
>>87505432
Ah, Subspace Emissary was fun.
>>
File: 1671066138426669.png (543 KB, 680x642)
543 KB
543 KB PNG
>Creator Clash 2 is announced
>Marisha Ray is in it
>Fighting a girl name Hayley Sharpe
I don't know who this Hayley bitch is but please god let her knock out Marisha
>>
>>87505654
rent free seething incel
>>
>>87505664
sure
>>
>this game is actually dead
I can't believe it
>>
>>87504021
Damn. How'd you manage neeting since 03?
>>
>>87500273
I do eat healthy. I don't stay online all day. My job is worthless shit make bombs for Israel.
>>
>>87505654
For real? I remember them saying how Marisha was born in Kentucky in hick-land but I don't think she's nearly as tough as she thinks she is. Then again after all the times she's been thrown around at Burning Man while cucking Matt she might be really durable.
>>
File: Endless Sadness.png (179 KB, 309x323)
179 KB
179 KB PNG
>DOIP campaign
>DM has been saying that this is the 2nd to last session and everything seems about right for that
>Start the session by clearing out Axeholm and leaving it
>Suddenly we get jumped by 2 goons and 3 mages because they want a bell we stole from a shrin
>A prolonged fight ensues where we roll like shit, the mages get off Darkness+Sleet Storm, and the Bard dies
>Towards the end of the fight it's just us and the last mage left.
>He Misty Steps on his turn to go back into Axeholm and we have to pursue him
>End the session by not knowing where the fuck the Bard is and having 5 turns to revive him
>And for some fucking reason the Paladin keeps posting porn emotes in the group chat
>And my fucking mic broke in the middle and I had to fix it
This campaign is never gonna fucking end huh?

Like the encounter itself was cool but the problem is I just don't like the party and we kept rolling bad so it was just fumbling around until maybe we could do something

I was thinking of joining them on the inevitable Tomb of Annihilation, but the idea of doing that with a party of sociopaths and a DM that only allows PHB, is too much
>>
>>87501124
What about a security guard?
>>
>>87503411

I dropped the errated version because it was an inferior aura of vitality
>>
>>87505654

I fucking hate cigarettes and cigarette smoke but heaven help me, I find women smoking hot.
>>
>>87506210
Brain damage probably
>>
Is Archfey the most appropriate patron for a voodoo loa feel? I wanted Undead for Baron Samedi but the DM wants to stick with books they own for subclasses.
>>
>>87506329
fiend
>>
File: Merchant.jpg (39 KB, 400x600)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
My players just arrived in the big regional port town full of exotic wares for the locals and local wares for the exotics. What kind of stuff do they find in the markets?

Bonus: When the tide drops and the sewers below the town dry out, what do they find in the hidden black market?
>>
>>87506448
ask gpt
>>
>>87506448
Cloth of gold, brocade, chocolate, tobacco, cloves, magical cardinals that can learn phrases and blind you with colour spray
>>
>>87506448

look at the weird trade goods/adventuring gear from mercers' book and ToA chult stuff
>>
File: 1674701846031856.jpg (664 KB, 1698x1739)
664 KB
664 KB JPG
So what is an adventurer's tavern actually like? You have a bunch of extremely attractive or ugly weirdos (nobody looks "normal") of varying alignments and beliefs who'd probably be institutionalized if not for their godlike powers sitting around getting drunk. Can't imagine the place isn't the center of some crises every other week.
>>
>>87506564
probably looks like a bar near the coast of Alaska

sailors probably give oof a similar vibe
>>
>>87497474
>my characters defining trait is how much he talks down to other members of the party

for the love of fuck do not play a character like this. players with characters that have this 'wow just wow really dude wow' attitude are so incredibly gay. just like in real life, this gay empty nihilistic cynical shit is basically the default attitude of everyone who is insecure and terrified of the possibility of having a meaningful and distinct personality. because if you show an ounce of being a real person and with a genuine personality you open yourself up to potential criticism.

just be a team player, help your allies, dont do this fucking "wow dude that was some dumb shit i told you so". people play the game to have fun not be lectured to by autists who cope with their social anxiety by being antagonistic retards
>>
>>87504774
>I don't bother trying to mix entertainment with TTRPGs
Entertainment and Comedy are two separate things
But you should still be trying to intermix Comedy into TTRPGs though, its an integral part to the human experience. How can you not have zero comedy in a tabletop campaign?Makes no sense.
>>
>>87501704
>why does DM have to care what is fun for his players?
This is like asking why you should fill up your car with gasoline when you don't personally drink gasoline.
>>
File: cpap.png (150 KB, 400x388)
150 KB
150 KB PNG
>haven't enjoyed dnd in years
>haven't played at all in months
>one dnd is doomed by cartoonish levels of corporate greed and it isn't even out yet
>pathfinder is unplayable since nobody can be bothered to learn how

I kind of just want to die lads
>>
>>87498532
When I had this situation, I stole from WoW and other games
Scales can be used to make cloaks for elemental resistance
Potions from its blood for temporary immunity to the elemental type
Probably some +1 shit if they do stuff with its teeth or claws
>>
File: far worse.jpg (474 KB, 1046x1363)
474 KB
474 KB JPG
>two factions the party works with are about to have a climactic battle
>GM asks the players to dm him who they're siding with
>Only one character picks the other side
>Me
I thought everyone would keep their allegiance to the empire.
That was the end of sesh and I have 2 days to try and stop a fight.
>>
>>87494719
>Human/High Elf Bard (Creation/Eloquence)
>Human/High Elf Wizard
>Human/High Elf Battlemaster/Arcane Archer
>Aasimar Rogue/Monk (Formerly Cleric)
>Aasimar Sorcerer
All of these could easily be played as "I was a badass/prodigy but now everything's fucked up and I'm sandbagging/running away".
>>
File: thefaceofahero.jpg (224 KB, 1919x1080)
224 KB
224 KB JPG
>>87494422
>true neutral character that literally only wants to fight strong guys
>functions as semi antagonist at first
>eventually dies saving the townspeople from the bbeg
how do I make my players invested in this character?
>>
>>87506751
If you want to be some whacky zany dude making quips at the table, then I don't want to play. Humour happens organically between people, sure, but to force jokes in at moments that don't call for it is so fucking cringe. I told a DM once I didn't want to be part of the games where everyone is doing dumb shit to make the table laugh, like purposefully dying by getting hit by a huge door, etc., because it detracts from the story (while we're also a man down).
>>
>>87506968
Make him come off as a good (as in the alignment) dude everytime he is seen but upon close scrutiny it can be seen he's like a drunken driver that randomly only runs on criminals
>>
>>87495470
Multiclassed prepared casters can already prepare more spells than a single classed caster due to getting their stat mod spell preparations multiple times. So, not sure what you're complaining about.

Scaling spell preparations solely based on character level rather than class level +stat mod would see multiclassers lose their spell preparation advantage. And scaling spell preparations on character level x # of classes would reward multiclassing way too much (multiclassed characters would have double and triple the amount of spell preps of single classed). Scaling based on character level x # of classes + stat mod would be even more retarded.

If spell access is what you are bitching about and you think a 10 Druid/1 Wizard should be able to cast just as powerful Wizard spells as someone who has specialized 11 levels in Wizard, then you are retarded.
>>
>>87506978
Obviously there's a balance to humor, like with anything in life. Humor shouldn't be forced but it shouldn't be painstakingly avoided at every cost.
Humor is everyone. Not everyone is good at humor. Because humor is hard. Just like not everyone is good at being dramatic or compelling or whatever. People you play with aren't going to be professional actor levels of quality.

Like, what is the expectation? I don't get it. Are we expecting the players we play with to be professional actor level of witty, dramatic, compelling, and interesting? Is that the expectation? What is the expectation? I expect lame jokes and I pretend to laugh anyway because I don't have gay retarded diva expectations. I know the people I play with are hobbyists and not professional actors or comedians.
>>
>>87507021
Yeah. I don't think what you brought up is bad. I just have been in games where people were trying to be funny more than playing the game... an example was a player purposefully dying for the sake of it. I don't always play super seriously, and I have been careless, but it's stupid just throwing away one party member for a joke. If you want to be a minstrel doing improv, then go join an acting troupe.
>>
>>87507010
>If spell access is what you are bitching about and you think a 10 Druid/1 Wizard should be able to cast just as powerful Wizard spells as someone who has specialized 11 levels in Wizard, then you are retarded
That's an abuse case. Having some level 8 cleric 4 wizard 4 fuck only being able to prepare or learn level 2 spells despite having level 4 slot is retarded.
It's even more glaring if you count the AT and EK. There would be nothing broken about, say, a level 3 EK level 2 wizard being able to learn level 2 spells rather than one like it is now.
>>
>>87496064
What makes it better? Wildshape? You don't start getting access to better spells compared to a single classed Ranger until level 12. So if you aren't going into the high levels the I can't see the reason for that multiclass being better especially since their spells overlap so much.

And even if you are 12+, you're missing the Ranger subclass's 7th and 11th level features.
>>
>>87507034
People want different things
It's not right or wrong, just link up with people who want the same kind of game you do
>>
>>87494719
here's an example

Human wizard turned warlock. From a young age, you were born with a talent for magic. Hailing from a noble family, you were quickly enrolled into a magic academy as early as 7 years old. Although you were just a child, the expectations placed upon you were high. At first, you were leagues ahead of your cohorts. What would take a normal person months of tireless study, you achieved through mere intuition and instinct. As the years grew on, however, you stagnated in your studies. What at first felt effortless, became increasingly arduous. You were still ahead of your peers, and you still studied diligently, but the sense of wonder and discovery you once had was gone.

Until one day, idly browsing the library late at night (as you often did), you stumbled upon a dusty tome hidden between the stacks. From the moment you laid eyes upon it, you knew this book was not normal. Though you knew what had happened to those who dabbled in dark magics before, something about the blackened leather tome mesmerized you. Against your better judgement, you cracked open the aged grimoire and began to read. Just a little. To sate your curiosity.

The power was exhilarating, the rush of dark magic like none other. Unfortunately, your activities did not go unnoticed. Late one night, you were caught practicing in the old training hall. Had you been more careful, your activities could have gone unnoticed. You got sloppy. Arrogant.
If you were not a noble and a prodigy, you would have been killed on the spot. You were stripped of all your titles and possessions (save one), and exiled from your homeland. With no home to return to, and nobody to rely upon, you set out into the world with nothing but your tome in hand.
Having nothing left to lose, you dove even deeper into the tome's dark secrets, eventually figuring out how to contact extradimensional beings of immense power.

then you form your pact, meet the party, etc.
>>
>>87507061
Having multiclassed spell slots between an half-caster and a full caster makes you able to upcast ranger spells better than you could have if you stayed singleclassed.
The logic is that ranger is very frontloaded and levels after 5, 6 especially, aren't that good compared to taking fullcaster levels on WIS, you still function as a ranger primarly with more shit. For example stars druid 2+ gives you a familiar, a bunch of spells and the starry form which complements your stuff very well
>>
>>87507037
>That's an abuse case
>My idea taken to a logical extreme is completely indefensible
Hmm.

>Having some level 8 cleric 4 wizard 4 fuck only being able to prepare or learn level 2 spells despite having level 4 slot is retarded.
No it isn't. They are half as good at casting Wizard spells as a level 8 Wizard and half as good at casting Cleric spells as a level 8 Cleric. Them having level 4 spell slots at all is the issue. They should have 8 level 1 slots and 6 level 2 slots, but WotC consolidated the spell slot system to make bookeeping easier. So you get the ability to upcast into those level 3 and 4 slots as a tradeoff for having less lower level spellslots.
>>
>>87507125
So you would make the issue even worse. Multiclassing two fullcasters beyond meme cleric dips is already the most subpar choice in the game. I like having options being viable. This issue would be completely solved by having a prc class but they were scrapped for some god forsaken reason from this edition.
>>
>>87495470
So I saw t b is before I went into work, typed up a response and said fuck it and never posted. But not that is back In focus;
My favorite thing to play is artificer x/wizard 2. There is no reason why an Armorer 3/ abjurer 2 should be able to cast second level spells other than powergaming. It breaks the progression of half-casters with multiclassing. At that point there is no reason to take a level 1 or 2 dip in a fullcaster class as a half caster if that limitation did not exist. Whether it be artificer and wizard, or paladin and sorcerer, or ranger and druid.
>>
File: Demi-Godslayers.png (2.22 MB, 1714x858)
2.22 MB
2.22 MB PNG
>>87505432
Good luck anon, thats a huge party for just 1 monster. I just had a similar sized team for my group's first major Big Bad.
>>
>>87506902
>I thought everyone would keep their allegiance to the empire.
Well, Anakin, their allegiance is to republic, to democracy!
>>
>>87507158
>So you would make the issue even worse.
>Bro just give me gestalt Spellcasting, c'mon
The issue is that what you're talking about makes multiclassing too good. There would be no reason to single class if a 1 level dip got you full spell progression for whatever class you dipped in. You would create the reverse problem. Even reducing the spell preparations in exchange for accessing fully leveled spells doesn't work because it makes armor dipping completely inconsequential.

>Multiclassing two fullcasters beyond meme cleric dips is already the most subpar choice in the game. I like having options being viable.
Going 4 martial/4 martial is way worse. You need to commit 5 levels in a martial before you can really even multiclass out. Multiclassing 2 full casters at least gives you a wide varitey of spells to pick from and a lot of lower level spells are still very effective at higher levels. Plus you can still get value out of upcasting and your cantrips still scale. And you can do it at any level freely.

>This issue would be completely solved by having a prc class but they were scrapped for some god forsaken reason from this edition.
That all depends on how it's implemented.
>>
>>87507365
>That all depends on how it's implemented.
I'll take you up on that and write an homebrew proposal. I'm not trying to powergame but to make this option feel satisfying because right now it isn't. And yes, I also think it's a big issue going 5/5 between classes with extra attack feels like shit.
Evidently I didn't get that across.
>>
>>87504459
Marauder and Juggernaut
>>
Prompts for subclasses?
>>
>>87507408
Sewers druid
>>
>>87494589
As a kenku, you're basically a walking meme library, for memes no one else knows.
>>
>>87504459
Book of the Five Rings was literally Musashi Miyamoto jerking himself off about how he kicked all the other samurai's asses with two swords.

Uhhh, make the other one by this guy
>>
>>87507430
>you're basically a walking meme library, for memes no one else knows
shit, I'm basically a kenku IRL
>>
>>87507417
I was gonna make a joke about how shit druid already exists but they surprisingly have pretty solid subclasses all around.
>>
>>87507606
whats the most fun druid to play anyway? some land druid?
>>
>>87504459

Pain and Penance

JotunotteFare (Giant - fear - danger) a weapon that has slain many a giant.
>>
>>87507626
Stars and Moon
Land is the most boring one by far
>>
>>87507606
Stars or Moon in that order, but it's very close.
>>
>>87507635
>bonus action fuckywucky
how about i bonus action throw a flaming sphere in the enemys face
>>
>>87507635
>>87507671
>Stars and Moon
>in that order
>not Moon and Stars
Shame on you, sweet Nerevar
>>
>>87507705
Any druid gets that
>>
How many level one characters do you need to kill Avatar of Tiamat?
>>
>>87507769
One 17th level Open Hand Monk
>>
>>87507769
a lot of genie warlocks
>>
>>87507769
At least 3, possibly more.
>>
Gnomes and Halflings shouldn't be allowed to be fighters, paladins and barbarians.
Half-Orcs shouldn't be allowed to be wizards, sorcerers, and warlocks.
Change my mind.
>>
>>87507817
Why the fuck would being a cross breed stop you from getting wacky fucked up genetics magic? Sorcerer is literally all about having a fucking up ancestry and that mixes with half orc.
>>
>>87507777
You've got 10 Legendary Resistances and a creature with +19 to CON saves, and an AC of 23 to dance with. You may need like 4 Flying Open Hand Monks with some magical hand wraps that up their attack rolls.
>>
>>87507906
One very patient warlock with cloak of flies then
>>
File: Aspect of Tiamat.png (233 KB, 1896x994)
233 KB
233 KB PNG
>>87507906
>17th Level Monk
>Ki save DC = 8 + 6 + 5 = 19
Nvm, she automatically saves the DC. You couldn't instantly reduce her to 0 hit points with Quivering Palm. Even the 10d10 Necrotic Damage won't really stop her.
>>87507922
She's immune to poison.
>>87507769
She's not immune to force and doesn't have shield or a way to stop Magic Missile, so if like a 100 Sorcereres/Wizards got together and all fired off magic missiles at her, she'd die...assuming she didn't just cook them with the 300-foot cone.
>>
File: Confused Anime Girl.jpg (21 KB, 348x342)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
Artisan's Tools

How much do you guys care about these? I really only gave them a thorough look through for this new character I am making at the moment and they're kinda neat, I don't really see having to use Cartographer's Tools to determine if a map is fake or not etc etc. Though I imagine it'll be a nice moment for a session of RP. Though I imagine that's more of how much do you attempt to use such a skill with the artisan's tools and how much your DM cares to reciprocate.

Do you guys use artisan's tools in any meaningful manner or do you not care? I'm looking over the list of them and their benefits and trying to do determine how much I care about incorporating them into my character's personality and interest.
>>
>>87507958
They're mostly irrelevant in my experience. Almost never enough downtime to craft anything. Any unique perk a tool might will rarely come up, if ever. The only things that might be useful are the circumstantial skill proficiencies. Good luck remember those though, since you probably forgot about your tool proficiencies entirely since they never come up.
I still like to have them for flavor.
>>
>>87507777
One 20th level Flying Zealot Barbarian could kill her. She has no option that makes the barbarian unconscious nor can she stun or paralyze him to make them end their rage nor does she have a way to instantly kill them. So she can't kill them, but with enough time that Barbarian will.
If you give her the ability to do these things (like through a spell), she kills this Barbarian tho.
>>
>>87507958
I have PCs use tools for crafting stuff, though in my current game there's downtime for that. On rare occasion a tool prof may come up for something - such as disarming a trap, researching something, investigating something, you can use tools for quite a bit its just situational stuff.
>>
>>87508003
>>87507984
Ok, I don't really expect much from them as a whole but I just figured that with my character being a bodyguard/mercenary styled character that I might take something like cartographers tools since they would travel alot and thus be familiar with maps or maybe even calligraphy tools as they only deal in contract work and would need skills to spot forgery etc etc and finally I was considering the cooks utensils since they would have to reasonably cook for themselves often which would allow me to heal people just a tad during short rest, and I figured when combined with my healer feat that should do for some "respectable" non magical healing on short rest so I was I just conflicted on what I wanna take and how much I wanna invest in that idea via RP.
>>
>>87508024
Its worth it for RP all the time.
>>
>>87507958
The baseline question is
>HOW COOL DO YOUR GM BE?

Because if they're cool they do more than they say, if not they do only as stated. Smiths is an obvious one for a cool GM, since you can repair up badly damaged armor and such from enemies or sharpen up everyone's swords for some flavour, alchemists are pretty great for the whole crafting stuff on half price which can be real handy, tinkers basically allow you to repair anything, woodcarvers is infinite arrows, cooks is shockingly useful for an extra bang for your short rest healing buck, cobblers is great for smuggling or making sure your entire band of folk can basically forcemarch like crazy and get no penalties, carpenters can just make shelters and stuff which is good at low levels.

Glassblowers, jewelers and potters are basically fucking useless but the painting stuff is good for flavour and also getting intel in painted form. Sketches of people are good, same with sketches of walls and more, you can disguise a painting of a couple of locations as artistic depictions and yet use them as a sort of intel recon eyes on the place without a wizard sorta thing, hiding in secret messages within the art. A good druid with a keen eye could wildshape themselves, hover over a city, hold that memory and fly down to a grove where he starts to paint the whole ass city from above, giving a fucking tactical advantage and a half.
>>
>>87508041
True, even if it only came up a few times I think might be worth it.
>>87508044
I think my DM is rather cool about such things, he's very much a DM that's on our side and wants to see us do things so as long as we can reasonably explain WHY and HOW we can do what we're asking or intending he'll usually let it slide. For instance our barbarian in the last campaign was VERY GOOD at intimidating despite his -2 charisma as he would explain how he attempts to intimidate the NPC by breaking stuff, bending metal or explaining that he will do to the person what he is now doing to some object in a display of force and would end it with "DM, due to the nature of HOW I am intimidating him by displaying my great power and physique can I use STR for intimidation?" and he would usually say (like 8/9 times out of 10) go ahead and roll for intimidation using STR. So I don't really see him impeding me and real manner unless I'm just being a retard
>>
>>87508098
Then go forth with my recomendations and have fun with it. Don't go with over 2 proficiencies however shit starts to get a little silly after that.
>>
>>87508044
Painting is a money skill, if your campaign has cool locations and your DM isn't a stinker about non-looting ways to acquire funds.
>>
>>87508146
Actually kinda true, but I usually just sketch cool shit as my guys and end up giving them away only for them to die and leave behind murals and stuff in my memory. Its fun, but also economic as you can make a ton of stuff and then as being with an adventurer you either strike it big or die hard so the painting's value increases massively for it too. Post Mortem Monetization is a hell of a drug.
>>
>>87507408
Arthurian Legend/Warrior Legend Sorcerers
>>
>>87507934
>goddess of evil dragons attacks not!Hogwarts
gets murdered by first year schoolchildren
>>
>>87508326
Well its not actually Tiamat, its an Aspect of Tiamat - which is basically an avatar/weaker version of true Tiamat. Actual Tiamat has Limited Magic Immunity which would make her immune to magic missiles (and all other spells) that aren't 7th level or higher.
>>
>>87508371
Also start giving your big bad monsters these traits and immunities
>Damage Immunities: bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing that is nonmagical
>Limited Magic Immunity. This creature can't be affected or detected by spells of Xth level or lower unless it wishes to be. It has advantage on saving throws against all other spells and magical effects.
This now stops them from getting stopped by normal things like falling/gravity or weak spells.
>>
Are there any decent rulesets out there for doing actual mass combat?
>>
>>87508456
Kings of War?
>>
>>87508569
Honestly, fuck it, I might just go full war game for it.
The players are a bunch of orcs that've ended up in charge of their tribe and have just managed to hijack an entire tombful of wights because the necromancer has no breaks. They're about to go take down a rival tribe and after that are slowly, inevitably, building up to Helms Deep'ing some elves
>>
Fresh bread
>>87508589
>>87508589
>>87508589
>>
>>87508581
Sounds awesome.
Just let them take some big monsters or elite squads in normal D&D combat from time to time, even in the middle if the battle.
I imagine something like this:
>couple of wargame turns
>see who has the advantage, e.g. elves are generally losing these two turns
>switch to DnD, with them tacling something of their size, e.g. gotta take out that elf wizard andnhis bodyguards before he annihilates our army
>meanwhile combat evolved according to situation after wargame turns, but now there's a new development, e.g. since elves were losing, they were pushed back to the forest, but now therlir cavalry is charging our flank!

And so on

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.