[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: GrimFinder.png (144 KB, 1177x535)
144 KB
144 KB PNG
Lore-wise, what's the worst tabletop setting to live in?
>>
File: FQ6JTyvXwAYi8vR.png (174 KB, 771x641)
174 KB
174 KB PNG
>>87474804
Your's.
>>
Dark Sun is pretty bad.
Also IIRC there was some niche Polish(?) RPG that's basically mudcore turned up to 11, but I can't remember the name of the thing.
>>
>>87474804
Which setting is worse?
>Full of misery
or
>Poorly written
>>
>>87474804
Inside the head of John from Everyone Is John
>>
File: dark_ruinscape[1].jpg (63 KB, 1500x998)
63 KB
63 KB JPG
>>87474804
Xas Irkalla or Kingdom Death. It's a tie.
>>87474830
Monastyr,
>>
>>87474832
Golarion is worse
>>
The FATAL universe.
>>
>>87474804
D&D 5E because unless you are a "PC" you are either going to eat shit as a peasant or get your shit pushed in by a PC. It's impossible to do anything without being a special snowflake and there are monsters and wars going on constantly.
>>
>>87474878
In Xas Irkalla you can at least attain demiurge-status and Kingdom Death has you surrounded by buxom lascivious babes before your horrific fate. Surely there are worse settings.
>>
>>87475090
what?
5e isn't a setting.
>>
>>87475257
>>
File: 1503101473672.jpg (140 KB, 671x513)
140 KB
140 KB JPG
>>87475304
>5e isn't a setting.
Everyone knows what setting D&D 5E is, which is the Forgotten Realms. You do not need to specify "The Forgotten Realms" when talking about D&D 5E because its the default, assumed setting. Only people looking to start a fight say that D&D 5E isn't a setting.
>>
>>87474830
>>87474878
Tell me more about Monastyr.
>>
File: 982030551604197.png (196 KB, 467x600)
196 KB
196 KB PNG
>what?
>5e isn't a setting.
>>
>>87475351
https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/TabletopGame/Monastyr
>>
>>87474804
HōL
>>
>>87474804
Probably Xas Irkalla. But once you get to that point, you're treading into "this setting too shitty to even play any real games in" territory.

SotDL gets an honourable mention for the sheer inevitability of it. God has gone insane and evil, and WILL consume/annihilate all reality to be whole again, and no matter how many times you stall this it can never be fully prevented.
>>
>>87475343
I actually didn't know the default setting for 5E was FR, but that makes sense.
>>
>>87474804
Depends on the setting
>>
File: ybIU.jpg (57 KB, 600x397)
57 KB
57 KB JPG
>ITT:
>>
>>87475503
That's ain't quite true. The Spine of the World, Thay, Amn, and High Forest are remembered pretty well by a lot of people. Also a bunch of underdark shit.
>>
>>87475311
I'd forgotten about it but this is a solid contender, quite possibly the worst of the lot.
>>
>>87474804
Mine because mine is worse than any other one. If you come up with terrible my setting has that but even worse.
>>
>>87475615
Quick rundown?
>>
File: FbBZUmkWIAA0uUW.png (93 KB, 496x361)
93 KB
93 KB PNG
>>87475615
Give us some details of what's going on.
>>
>>87474878
>Kingdom Death

Absolutely not. Everyone is super hot and fucking constantly. Sure they inevitably die grisly deaths before they become old and unsexy but not before making enough babies to stave off extinction.
>>
File: dakka.png (242 KB, 1699x880)
242 KB
242 KB PNG
>>
>>87475568
>Thay
All but destroyed and now a boring necromancer's playground than anything interesting.
That happened with a lot of places in the switch to 5e.
>>
>>87475343
I think a lot of people play in games with nothing to do with forgotten realms. There are official adventures that aren't in the forgotten realms.
but, for what it's worth, forgotten realms is far from the worst setting to live
>>
>>87475850
That's because desecrating the dead is more politically correct than slavery.
>>
File: 1636055653424.png (343 KB, 1876x1736)
343 KB
343 KB PNG
>>87474804
Bloodworld sounds like it sucks to be a person there.
>>
>>87474804
My knowledge of Golarion is limited to Owlcat CRPGs and randomly reading wikis and even I can tell you that that screenshot is a load of bullcrap.
>>
>>87476137
Yes, it looks like it's taken from something like spacebattles
>>
File: 1637835204421.jpg (6.58 MB, 6440x6440)
6.58 MB
6.58 MB JPG
>>
>>87474804
Xas Irkalla.
>>
>>87476384
What is this?
>>
>>87475257
>>87475311
Black Sun Deathcrawl is easily up there as one of the worst settings to live in, if not THE worst. You'd be hard pressed to find a world more fucked.
>>
Felarya
>>
>>87476452
>Black Sun Deathcrawl
At least the horror seems to be contained within a single fantasy world. Unlike the cosmic and all-encompassing suckiness of settings like Xas Irkalla, SotDL or even Pathfinder.
>>
>>87477260
That males it worse. In the other settings everything is fucked by default. In the other, one, things could be better but it's not
>>
>>87476384
People need to stop making these
>>
>>87477461
Listen to this man for God's sake.
>>
>>87476049
been lurking tg for too little time, what is this from?
>>
ITT /tg/ makes the worst possible setting?
>>
>>87477578
This guy already did it >>87475615
>>
>>87474804
WoD sounds pretty bad. Imagine living in the modern world, but now there's spooky shit around every corner. And if you turn into anything supernatural only God can help you. But he won't.
>>
>>87477600
CofD is even worse in that regard.
>>
>>87474804
>Lore-wise, what's the worst tabletop setting to live in?
40k and most every contemporary fantasy RPG setting, primarily because writers fill their settings with so many world-threatening adventure hooks nowadays that they tend to be on the precipice of several apocalypses coinciding with each other.
>>
>>87477572
Try the little arrow next to the post number of the image you're looking for, then select "Image Search >>" and then "Google". After that, a new tab will open but you might have to click "Find image source".
>>
>>87477461
>>87477554
>Stop having fun in a way I don't approve of
>>
>>87475503
>t. 5etard
>>
>>87477578
Endless Hells was kind of that, but we could probably go worse.
>>
>>87477260
The Black Sun is only really contained so long as you don't create a horrible paradox that break reality and let's the Black Sun escape and eat all the Gods everywhere, annihilating the universe.
>>
>>87478273
There is a point this needs to stop and we've clearly passed it.
>>
>>87475503
Faerun isn't that bad a place to live in several areas. There's definitely much worse - Ravenloft, for example, or Athas.
>>
>>87479227
Ravenloft is part of a larger plane that is for all intents and purposes, a personalized hell for special people. Of course it sucks.
>>
>>87474804
Checkers, probably.
>can't talk
>can't even walk properly
>extremely likely to die minutes after birth
>forced to fight an eternal war with no hope
>>
File: mb1-scaled.jpg (600 KB, 2560x1728)
600 KB
600 KB JPG
Unironically 40k is pretty bad to be in. I don't think it's the worst, but it's up there.

Mörk Borg is pretty shit. It's a hilarious setting to game in, but living in it would be awful. Water turns to sludge, every child dies, the sun never comes back up, the apocalypse has made everyone go fucking nuts...the list goes on.

Berserk post-eclipse.

I wouldn't want to live in a universe with a Lovecraftian mythos that was real.
>>
Exalted if you're not an exalt.

All of the stuff you listed turned up to eleven. The "good" gods are all addicted to world of Warcraft in heaven and do fuck all and as a mortal you are literal fodder to the powers in the setting.
>>
>>87474832
I'd probably take full of misery over poorly written, but most of the time, full of misery is also poorly written, while stuff that appears poorly written and shallow ends up being lightly written at an average level due to focusing more on the engagement of the game.
>TPK40W
>>
>>87480747
At least 40k has little worlds tucked away that have gone mostly untouched by war and chaos. Or at least it used to, I don't know if that's allowed anymore by the lorefags
>>
>>87474832
Those two are usually the same thing. Grimdark is just miserybation for middleage faggots who are just going to neck themselves as part of their midlife crisis.
>>
>>87474804
It literally doesn't matter. You wouldn't be happy in any tabletop setting because you would be the one living in it. An untalented, worthless retard doesn't suddenly become more interesting because you you pick him up out of the real world and put him in Narnia or whatever the fuck. Your isekai adventure would just be you working at whatever the fantasy/sci-fi equivalent of a grocery store is and coming home to stay in your room all day, because that is just who you are as a person.
>>
File: images.jpg (15 KB, 220x229)
15 KB
15 KB JPG
>>87483512
That's only because it's recently been made illegal in our world to travel into other lands, take treasure from their ruins, and fight the locals. Adventuring used to be a profitable occupation.
>>
File: 1583659768643.jpg (18 KB, 625x350)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
>>87483512
>>
>>87483888
They are definitely projecting but let's be real, they are also accurately describing a significant amount of /tg/.
>>
>>87478917
...so let's keep going and see where it gets us!
>>
>>87474878
>Kingdom Death
Probably one of the most thought provoking settings in fiction. Everything about it is a complete mystery, like what is a lantern year? How did a baby turn into a fully grown adult within one lantern year? It's like the people here are living in a dream where they fight monsters out of their nightmares.
>>
>>87477572
Apparently it's a DF mod called Haemothearchy.
>>
>>87484214
>what is a lantern year?
Amount of time in which light of lantern completely dies out after it was removed from the hoard.
>>
>>87483562
People still do this in 2023 even tho it's illegal. Face it, you haven't got the heart of an Adventure or else you would be looting Cuniform tablets for rich Evangelicals right now.
>>
>>87484646
You know how people condemn local lord threads for being an obvious spirit-crushing exercise in misery? That's just modern life. If you try to anything fun a bunch of guards show up to your house and try to imprison you, and if you fight back within the hour two hundred OP gear super guards show up and throw you in a dungeon forever. Such hubris indeed.
>>
>>87475343
Forgotten Realms is FAR from shit. Sword Coast is bland and generic, but monsters are nowhere in sight. In fact, FR as written barely has monsters or even casters. The whole "oh you walk into a poduk village and find the local Cleric and Hedge Mage that's a level 3 Wizard" is NOT part of FR. You may go from Baldur's Gate to Waterdeep and encounter no Goblins, Orcs, Clerics, or Wizards. In fact SC is HIGH but narrow. What is there is for the most part extremely dangerous, minus some Goblin and Orc tribes, but there are so few of them. They are only time your standard person had an issue was during Storm King's Thunder, when Giants descended en masse. Now yes, it is controlled by the Harpers who refuse any technological advancements in SC.
Then you leave SC and go to the rest of FR, which for reasons unknown to me WotC doesn't want to acknowledge, but considering what they've done with Spelljammer and the Demiplane of Dread I'd rather they no. Zakhara is a heaven for artists, Artificers, and philosophers, and is only really dangerous if you leave for a handful of places. But if you're a nomad or city dweller or even a corsair you're fine.
Kara-Tur is a bit social stratified, but you're probably better being a peasant there than anything save a lord in SC.
Chult has dinosaurs, yes, but they are pretty rare and settlements, for are fine unless they try to do stupid shit like actually capturing one. The most dangerous thing there is the monkey fever, and even that doesn't effect people unless they venture into the deep jungles where they have no business being anyways.
The most dangerous place is probably Maztica, the Mayincatec mishmash fantasy where you just might get sacrificed to their gods.
But if you're talking just 5e, meaning just SC, no. It's not even that bad.

Learn your FR lore, friend.
>>
>>87479275
Hell when Hell isn't good enough for them, is how I describe it. It was awesome before the whole map thing and a metaplot were made, and before a giant hole was ripped into it. The one thing 5e did well was removing the map. But then their insistence on there being infinite versions of each just killed that. Just have it be like old times. The Dark Lords come back without the memories, or fake memories of their victory, which makes them overconfident. I also liked some of the new Demiplanes and one or two changes to the old lore. But most of it is crap.
>>
>>87476384
I'm conflicted whether to think this is neat or the most autistic shit ever. The use of wojaks aren't helping.
>>
>>87475424
>Linking fucking tvtropes.
get the fuck out of this place.
>>
>>87485284
Dilate newfag tranny, it's a decent summary of an otherwise obscure work.
>>
>>87474804
Eh, thats sounds worse on paper then it actually is. If you´re some average guy in a town in Andoran or Taldor, chances are you´ll live your live not THAT much different then in any other fantasy setting. Hell, a citizen of Taldor in the current canon timeline never really saw any big war. At lost, you had a civil war that wasnt all that bloody to begin with and ended after a few months. Thats less then the average lakeshire blacksmith in Azeroth had to suffer. To stick with the Warcraft example, you had several global wars, global demon invasions, global elemental uprisings and two global plagues + undead invasions. So chances of you being press ganged into the army or had to deal with zombies and demons is much, much higher then in downtown Oppara. And no one´s going to claim Azeroth is the worst setting to live in.
>>
>>87475088
What was that guy thinking when he included a spell that ends the world?
In what scenario would that be useful?
>>
>>87485284
Fuck off newfag
>>
File: consider the following.png (209 KB, 637x669)
209 KB
209 KB PNG
>>87474804
>True Grimdark Tier
Xas Irkalla, Black Sun Deathcrawl
>Greater Grimdark Tier
Kingdom Death, Shadow of the Demon Lord, Turnip 28
>Grimdark Tier
Warhammer 40K
>Dark, but Hope Exists Tier
Dark Sun, Eclipse Phase, CofD/WoD, Warhammer Fantasy, Kult, Ravenloft, Pre-Nuwalkers MtG
>Pretends to be Dark Tier
Golarion, Conquest, Post-Nuwalkers MtG
>Isn't All That Dark, Knows it, Enjoys It Tier
Glorantha, Forgotten Realms, Greyhawk, Eberron, Infinity, Battletech
>Comically Toothless Tier
AoS
>>
>>87485284
Anon is right, link some actual material or gtfo.
>>
>>87486052
>Black Sun Deathcrawl
Real fucking obscure, but real fucking correct.
>>
>>87474830
Dark Sun is fucking horrible when you actually think about it beyond "D&D with more deserts". Just the fact water is scarce should scare people more, let alone Sorcer-Kings running their dystopian cities which are still the safest places to live in.
>>
>>87487184
>Just the fact water is scarce should scare people more
I don't think I really appreciated the abundance of water until I read Dune, where peasants go out in the morning to harvest dew from the few plants that grow.
>>
>>87484770
There are literally over a dozen conflicts in which mercenaries are a significant part of right now. If you want adventure it’s out there, but because it’s dangerous and you’re soft you won’t experience it.
>>
>>87480747
>I wouldn't want to live in a universe with a Lovecraftian mythos that was real.
The Outer Gods are apathetic and the GOOs seem pretty rare. Nearly everyone would get along just fine in the Lovecraft universe unless they had the bad luck to live in a time when the stars are right.
>>
>>87487498
A big part of Lovecraft's stories is that all the weird shit is totally unknown to most people. That's why his protagonists always get PTSD, because they got a peek behind the curtain.
>>
>>87474804
Wait, is this tvtropes?
>>
>>87484069
Either crashing on a wall or falling into a chasm.
So: to a crash
>>
>>87483562
>Grave robbing was never profitable, except that short period where you could sell bodies to local university
Ftfy
>>
>>87487461
>MUH BADASS MERCENARIES ADVENTURERS!
Friendly reminder a typical merc is either a PTSD ex-soldier (and not some badass elite, but regular grunt, who at best got to Corporal) that couldn't find employment as a mall cop or, far more common, a fucking nobody with no training whatsoever, but also with zero ability to evaluate risk, so he decided to earn quick buck by being shot in an exotic backdrop.
It never cease to amaze me how anyone after the Blackwater fiasco still has anything even resembling admiration or praise for PMCs, when they are literally worse than random militias, except being paid through the nose.
>>
>>87475343
5e isn't a setting ,and FR isn't the only 5e setting ,you fucking mong.
>>
>>87487624
Oh, and if he's Russian - he might be also an inmate that decided that shaving off 20 years off the record is worth being a cannon fodder for a year. Guess how many of those make it past first month.
>>
>>87487624
That's a lot of words to say "I'm too much of a pussy to shoot Russians."
>>
>>87487624
What do you think your ‘adventurers’ were, anon
>>
>Bad because dull

Forgotten Realms or Greyhawk

>Bad because retarded

>Bad because it may cause hurt feelings

Golarion

>Bad because capitalism doesn't care

Alien or Corporation

>Bad because rape is a normal part of everyday life

Kingdom death
>>
>>87474804
The ones with Player Agency.
And also ones where you characters stats are adjectives, not numbers.
>>
>>87474804
GURPS
>>
>>87488096
>where you characters stats are adjectives, not numbers.
huh?
>>
>>87474804
Good answers already with SotDL, KD and Xas. Kult is pretty bad too, basically reality is a prison, God left, the inmates are running the asylum, its never going to get unfucked. It was like distilled oWoD edgy.
>>
>>87487647
>He said, while all he ever committed to was shitposting
And unlike you, I don't have to prove anything to anyone. I'm more than happy with my job as a land surveyor, especially since I've picked that vocation all the way back when I was 12

>>87487693
They weren't, cause no such thing.
>>
>>87488224
>I wish adventuring were legal
>Stop telling me to go on an adventure!
lol
>>
>>87488234
>Things I never said
>More things that nobody said
lmao
>>
>>87482833
Those worlds only exist to inevitably have their thousand years of peace broken by war. The only real way to live a "good" life in 40k that is theme-friendly is to be unfathomably wealthy and corrupt at the expense of others or being so ruthless and sadistic, you actually thrive in these conditions. Otherwise, your life is grind and toil as a cog in the greater logistical machine of the Imperium (or your planet is so backward, surviving day-to-day life takes precedence).
>>
>>87488412
>or your planet is so backward, surviving day-to-day life takes precedence
This isn't quite as bad a deal as it sounds. Sure, there's a good chance you'll die of dysentery or get eaten by a bear, but you'll probably be happy until then.
Unless it's a death world, obviously.
>>
>>87488434
Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs would beg to differ.
>>
>>87488471
Hunter-gatherers are happier than we are, even if they don't live as long or accomplish as much. Even medieval peasants probably had better working hours than the typical American corporate drone.
That's not to say I'd want their life, but in the grand scheme of things it's really not that bad. Hell, sometimes you can even find former soldiers who miss the front, not because they liked getting shot at, but because they found satisfaction in the day-to-day life of a soldier, where your decisions and actions genuinely matter - which just isn't the case in modern civilian life.
>>
>>87488515
They're measuring their happiness by different bars. Saying "hunter-gatherers are happier than we are" doesn't mean much when their threshold for a good day is not dying.
>>
>>87488553
Why does that matter? They're still happier than we are.
>>
>>87488593
Only relatively due to the framing of their circumstance. Nominally, I'd argue not.
>>
>>87488434
Or even a Death Worlder that lives on a world that isn't a death world. I hate to use "popular thing" as an example but the guy from chainsaw man had a life so shitty that literally anything else was a step up
>>
>>87488607
Happiness is entirely relative. Why do you think billionaires are so fucking miserable?
>>
>>87488704
I don't think "billionaires are miserable", I think wealth isn't a shortcut to self-actualization, so being rich doesn't make you immune to existential crisis. But it's telling that when describing hunter-gatherers as "happy", none of you are lining up to join them because in actuality their lifestyle is miserable and their sense of happiness is only out of spite of it.
>I had a bad day because my boss yelled at me :(
>I had a good day because childbirth didn't kill me as expected :)
Who had the better day?
>>
>>87488704
>entirely relative
Do you honestly think you and all other humans lack the capacity to observe, converse and compare different states of being, then make an evaluation as to which they or other wold prefer if given the option?
>>
>>87488777
It's a known fact that this is the case, yes. Humans assess themselves by comparison to those in their immediate social circle. If all your friends are more successful than you, you will feel inadequate, even if you are extremely wealthy.

>>87488764
Happiness and quality of life aren't interchangeable, and I didn't say otherwise. All I'm saying is that you can do a hell of a lot worse than being a feudal peasant or a tribal hunter.
>>
>>87488888
>dodges the question
You're an idiot, but don't worry I'm sure everyone will make their own totally independent and non-related decisions about it or some shit that can't be communicated in any way.
>>
Look guys, my point was life in the Imperium isn't "good" unless there's a grimdark caveat to it. If you're a backward hunter-gatherer who's escaped the grind of Imperial society it's only because your lifestyle is too primitive to be of use to the Imperium and your sense of happiness would be based on extremely low thresholds of success like "getting enough food and water for the day".
Thematically, it would be inevitable that your planet would eventually be raided by aliens or your "happy" lifestyle disrupted by the Imperium trying to develop it.
>>
>>87488920
>being happy isn't the same as being happy because... it just isn't, okay?!?!
>>
>>87489046
If you can't compare contextual details, evaluate and make decisions you're actually mentally retarded.
>>
>>87489053
>Why are you depressed? There are children starving in Africa!
>>
>>87475813
40k is only shit if you live on a hive world.
>>
File: Dungeonification Damage.png (463 KB, 1030x1606)
463 KB
463 KB PNG
>>87474804
Meikyuu Kingdom could be a contender. Long ago a sorcerer-king found how to force the gods to grant his wish, to unite Heaven, Earth and the Deep into one land for him to rule over. The gods twisted his wish, surrounding the king with an ever expanding, infectious dungeon that jas since consumed the world. Now people live in the cold darkness, surrounded by monsters, eking out a living in small enclaves that still call themselves kingdoms. These places are ruled by the Landmakers, those with power and knowledge to create a safe zone where the dungeon won't turn your circulatory system into a lethally useless labyrinth. Still, they venture out for resources and much of the populace must follow, often to be sacrificed as fuel for the Landmaker's powers.
Hungry monsters roam the halls, while Angels and Deep Ones intrude upon the mortal realm, each as bad as the other. Angels consider mortals their rightful slaves. Deep Ones just consider humans as food, ranging from the bioluminescent elves created to infiltrate the surface levels, to monstrous tentacled gods of the deep.
>>
>>87489558
Assuming you are an average citizen and not some opulent noble or corrupt priest, 40k is shit wherever you live within the Imperium.
>>
>>87474812
>your is
Pic related is you’s
>>
>>87487624
Yeah this might have been the definition a decade ago but it shows that you don't really pay attention nor have you ever really been part of these structures. Most of these dudes aren't even getting paid, nowadays, so you've thinned the pool down to guys who got bottlenecked and wouldn't settle for a job that doesn't let them shoot people, and guys who just want to shoot people, sometimes for a cause. Even on the other side, Wagner, despite being ostensibly a PMC, is just a special military for the Russian government. The cushy parts are a boys club for the oligarch children, the operational parts are a conscript army of whoever could be incentivized or coerced in. The organization might be getting paid through the nose, but the Kazakh farmboy standing watch in Mali is getting strung along by the promise of a hot meal and slightly less rape.
>>
>>87489580
Not really? Grimderp shit aside, most of the imperium isn't as bad as the general perception. Hive worlders live in abject squalor, sure, but an agriworld farmer isn't going to spend his life suffering in misery, nor is a feral world filth monger.
>>
>>87489992
>but an agriworld farmer isn't going to spend his life suffering in misery
Let me guess, you think argi-world life is lax and pastoral.
>>
>>87490030
lemme guess, do you buy into the 20 hour work day for every citizen grimderp?
>>
>>87490041
Imagine unironically falling for propaganda from a fictious organization.
https://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Agri_World
>>
>>87485671
what do you mean? its the most useful spell in the game, that provides the most benefits for everyone
>>
>>87487052
>>87486052
>At least two Anon's who know about Black Sun Death Crawl
>Mfw I have no face
>>
>>87486052
And below "comically toothless" we have >"Offensively inoffensive"
D&D 5e
>>
>>87474830
>>87487184

I find it hilarious how it’s implied that the residents of that one city that got transported from Athas to Ravenloft actually prefer life in the Domains of Dread to life on Athas.
>>
>>87490697
My favorite bit of lore is that the Githyanki opened portals in the multiverse to invade and conquer Athas. They figured it'd be easy, what with everyone running around with stone and wood weapons and barely any armor.

After they tried it, they sealed up the portals to make sure nobody could ever try again.
>>
>>87490086
I'm imagining a hypothetical scenario in which the goal is not simply to stop playing FATAL as quickly as possible. Obviously, this is unrealistic, but it's what the game was originally designed for.
>>
>>87490650
That’s not a setting retard
>>
>>87488212
Kult does imply that the illusion is steadily coming apart, but that's not a good thing. The Awakened are awful.
>>
>>87474804
If you read the shit lore, Exalted.

But that assumes you ignore games where the setting is specifically designed to be miserable, i.e. the Matrix, 40k, etc.
>>
>>87487498
Oh for sure. Lovecraft isn't the worst, it's just like I said that it's not somewhere I'd want to live. It's a pretty normal setting until it isn't. It's not like Star Trek where bad things happen but you have infinite beer replicators and alien cuties. Even though Harry Potter is lame, it's still not a bad setting for the everyday person.

Lovecraft isn't like that. It's all tye downsides of living here, but with a chance of running into a suicide cult where they kidnap you and impregnate you with fish eggs.
>>
>>87474878
Qrd on the Kingdom Death lore and settings?
>>
>>87492759
>start of each campaign, 4 men wake up
>the walls and floors are made out of stone faces
>lion started attacking them
>all survivors had to gather everybody up and build a civilization around a horde of lanterns
>Each lantern year, they have to go and kill some horrifying monster
>every time they go, they have 1/4 chance of dying just by travelling to the monster
>showdowns with monster is an RNG-fest
>hunters get dismembered, go insane and instantly killed
>monster abilities involve knocking you across the map, swallowing you whole and aging you instantly
>there is another 1/4 chance of dying just by going home
>use monster parts to craft weapons and armor
>rinse, breed more survivors, and repeat
>>
File: mark wolff.png (168 KB, 540x438)
168 KB
168 KB PNG
>>87492842
>>4 men

Hey buddy I think you got the wrong door
>>
File: ezgif-4-6c3fd5dc79.jpg (742 KB, 1992x1200)
742 KB
742 KB JPG
>>87493008
You know what I mean.
>>
>>87474878
>Xas Irkalla
I'm somewhat familliar with Kingdom Death but I've never heard of Xas Irkalla, tell me about it, art reminds me of SCORN
>>
>>87493040
>>87492842
Are there named characters like the above post? I found their artbook on panda and it has dozen of character arts. But when I search them up it is just Great Hunter or something. Are you supposed to pick a character art you like and play as them?
>>
>>87493341
Pretty much. The game also comes with customizable minis, so that you can match your character with the armor and weapons they're wearing and wielding.
>>
>>87493363
Wouldn't everyone play as a cute girl then? How do you breed?
>>
File: ezgif-5-0f18379cfe.jpg (287 KB, 1944x1171)
287 KB
287 KB JPG
>>87493374
You have male and female survivors, and they breed to make more survivors, as long their dicks haven't been bitten off by a screaming antelope or something stupid during the game.
>>
>>87493374
Why would you want to play as a female? Being a buff dude, smart, skinny dude, wiry sneaky dude - you have plenty of options with those just being the tip of the iceberg.
>>
>>87493391
Now that I think about it, isn't starting a civilization with just 4 impossible? Not to mention the inbreeding, you couldn't even afford pregnancy with these kind of odds.
>>
>>87491558
>The Awakened are awful
Unless you are one.
Relatively speaking.
>>
>>87492842
>wake up
Where? Is ever clarified? It's a sort of purgatory?
>>
File: manual_6.jpg (206 KB, 1200x800)
206 KB
206 KB JPG
>>87493439
After fighting the lion at the start of the game with your four survivors, you roll again on how many more extra survivors that would be joining your civilization when you build your settlement. There's also no downsides for interbreeding. You just pick a male and a female and have them get a baby.
>>87493465
It's never clarified. They just wake up and got attacked by a lion all of a sudden. It's up to your interpretation on what this world is about.
>>
>>87493439
Not a great spoiler but on your arrival to your would be village of Laterns in KDM you roll d10 to determine how many additional unnamed bodies you managed to rouse with you. The babes are born full grown and ready to fight regardless.
>>87493424
No statistical difference and you can't breed a civ with pure homolust
>>
>>87474804
Chess, you are a pawn, and you're going to die on the battlefield.
>>
>>87493500
I have KDM on TTS and I can't find the cute artwork and or porn or vore. Where is it?
>>
>>87493490
>>87493500
After reading a bit more, it seems like the survivors always lose and die in the end?At least according to reddit. Please tell me they are being reddit. It kills my motivation to try if everything is for naught in the end
>>
>>87493439
Survivors aren't human as we understand it, so those problems don't crop up.

>>87493465
They literally wake up with ink caked into their eyes, with no memories of how they got there. It's implied that they were newly made by the Scribe, one of the Entities who govern the world of Kingdom Death.
>>
>>87493533
Search Kingdom Death Monsters pinups
>>87493535
It's ultimately up to your interpretation on what happens to them in the end, I'm afraid.
>>
>>87493533
paypig only content I'm sorry, check out /tg/'s own its-robot-jones if you wanna coom to his mini paintings
>>87493535
Its unfortunately true of all of the different campaigns that they have a bad end. The lore is stupid grimdark that was built upon the original cop out bad ending of the game.
>>
WoD

Even if you're a random person living a normal life, the world will probably end within your lifetime.
>>
>>87493439
Technically it would be possible if you had perfect genes. And I mean perfect. Not a carrier for a single disorder or illness, and also somehow had genetic resistances to most bacterial and viral illnesses.
>>
>>87493549
https://shop.kingdomdeath.com/products/pinups-of-death-series-2
You mean these? The figures are really good though. I wish my Sororitas can be like this
>>
File: OIP (6).jpg (76 KB, 474x608)
76 KB
76 KB JPG
Played a few sessions of black sun death crawl in the last campaign when my players entered a ever expanding section of the world where a black sun hangs in the sky.
It was pretty wild and the first instance of "woa cool we can't die here" soon got replaced by "oh my god no, we can't die here"
I stole a lot of beksinski artwork and tried to made it as flavorful as possible.
Quiet atmospheric black metal playing in the background and so on.
It was quite the shakeup from the usual games and at the end I had them reduced to writhing flesh piles crawling towards the exit.
Truely the real black sun death crawl ™ was the friends we made along the way.
>>
>>87493439
Anon didn't explain it well, it's not 4 people that wake up initially but a ton of people, you only play as 4 when fighting the tutorial lion since 4 is the usual hunting party in the gameplay
after that you roll a die to determine how many more people are in your civilization
inbreeding has no mechanic but dying in childbirth does. In fact there's like a 40% chance of bad shit happening during the intimacy test like the mom dying or both of the people just running off into the darkness after fucking but there are upgrades later on that can make it safer
>>
>>87493535
>>87493554
The closest thing to a 'good ending' in any of the campaigns is the People of the Stars one, where the settlement becomes a second race of Dragons. And even that still has them die before the transformation occurs.
>>
>>87487184
I really want to do a fic about a fledgling Avangion leading an exodus of "demihumans" from Athas on the basis that this is a world beyond saving, only to end up in the Warhammer Fantasy world and end up having to push a LOT of shit in to carve out a new homeland for his people.
>>
>>87493535
>It kills my motivation to try if everything is for naught in the end
I have bad news, friend..
>>
>>87487624
Funny enough I knew a guy who was a mercenary. Not a PMC but a literal "hired by locals to shoot at warlords" mercenary.
Started out in the Peace Corp for a twist of irony. Got offered a side job as a translator for the guards the PC hired while in Africa as he spoke 5 languages and ended up sticking around as the money was great; made something like $160k for 3 months of work. Should be retired now if he isn't dead.
Worked for gun runners, diamond shipment guards, and local African governments. Never for warlords (not some moral compunction, warlords don't plan on paying you with anything more than a bullet to the head.)
Said the most fucked up stuff was diamond mines and similar ops. Absolute bottom of the human experience.
Gun running was the best. Paid very well and you get to use top end gear instead of old rusty AKs as it advertises the merchandise.
Literally would recruit guys who looked capable but down and out from bars in Nigeria or other countries.
>>
>>87487624
>this entire post
And how can you make such sweeping statements about a world wide group, anon?
Please cite your sources, cuz this is some feminist 'Muh Patriarchy exists because I said it does!11!' tier ranting.
>>
>>87474804
Easy, Human Occupied Landfill.
>>
>>87487549
This is why Call of Cthulhu would be the worst world to live in. Either the world is completely mundane, boring world ruled by bland, predictable scientific laws and there is nothing truly wondrous or magical about nature...or you get a glimpse of the fantastic and go stark raving mad.

Also, any typical 5E high fantasy campaign where magic and the strange are so commonplace as to become mundane. I don't want to live in a world where a tiefling doesn't attract any attention. That is a world jaded beyond reason.
>>
>>87495119
>Human Occupied Landfill.
More of an edgy Monty Python sketch than truly grimdark.
>>
File: dreamlands small.jpg (4.45 MB, 3111x2074)
4.45 MB
4.45 MB JPG
>>87495214
Ohh no it's mundane. Truly there is no fate worse than living in a society.
Also if you stop being basic you can also do stuff like Randolph Carter and travel the dreamlands and do intergalactic travels. Can things go wrong? Yes but you also can explore the multiverse if you don't fuck up.
>>
>>87493186
>tell me about it
It's basically a graveyard for dead or dying multiverses, ruled over by mad sorcerer god-kings who have dreamt them up and engage in horrific torture and defilement of all things that fall under their influence, all whilst serving horrific all-powerful demon gods who control and govern everything in the setting. Shit is fucked and it is never ever getting better.
>>
>>87477461
>Hope died at Capri Bay
>>
>>87474804
Anyone mentioned the dog world yet? The one wear the entire world is wet dog hair & if you dig down it's just dog meat or some shit shit
>>
File: latest[1].jpg (258 KB, 1000x667)
258 KB
258 KB JPG
>>87498198
Dogscape? Yeah, it's pretty bad. But it's confirmed in-universe to be contained only within a single planet.
>>
>>87474804
Canonically it's 40k of course. This is the official statement of GW:
>Warhammer 40,000 isn’t just grimdark. It’s the grimmest, darkest.
Case closed.
>>
>>87499161
>>87498198
what the fuck?
>>
>>87499722
A quintessential product of the long lost glory days of /x/
https://creepypasta.fandom.com/wiki/Dogscape
>>
>>87499722
Some people are really fucked in the head & also have internet connection
>>
>>87499722
>>87499821
Zoom-Zoom.
>>
>>87499801
>oldest version of the page is from 2011
Why haven't I seen this before?
>>
>>87499531
40k is indeed grim and dark, but it's possible to live in comfort as a higher-up like a planetary governor or corrupt priest. Can't say the same about settings like Black Sun Death Crawl. Even Kingdom Death has depictions of happiness once your civilization comes online.
>>
File: 1668113685701302.png (1.6 MB, 1320x1480)
1.6 MB
1.6 MB PNG
>>87474804
Exalted.
>>
>>87499956
But only if you're a mortal.
>>
>>87499978
Which is like 99.999% of the human population. I mean fuck, even if you're an exalt, you'll eventually be killed and end up reincarnating as a mortal anyways, so enjoy your brief bit of joy, it's never gonna happen again.
>>
>>87492656
Still depends - IIRC Delta Green takes the angle that souls which leave/see past the body are exposed to hypergeometrical life, as in Astral journeys, Tillenghast radiation, or teleportation through higher spaces.

The unfortunate implications, which one canon character who Ascended (and then died) discovered, was that dead human souls rise out of the atmosphere and are endlessly devoured by an ecosystem they never evolved for.

Whether that's new Mythos lore for Delta Green, or drawn from earlier sources, I don't know.
>>
>>87499827
Is this a bot? How the fuck is this zoomer shit?
>>
>>87499531
>The company advertising its own setting said its own setting was the darkest so that means its true
holy reddit
read more sci-fi
>>
>>87500105
To be fair, this is /tg/, so we should be limited to the confines of a playable setting. 40k, as a playable /tg/, ranks high, but I think BSDC has it beat.
>>
>>87500105
warhammerfags even made up the grimdark genre and named it after warhammer to make it look more special than it actually is.
>>
>>87500070
Being shocked by discovering Dogscape in the year of our Lord 2k23 is peak zoomercore.
>>
>>87500217
I'm not shocked, I'm the one who mentioned it. But saying that there are fucked up people on the internet, who would make something like dogwood isn't zoomer shit, it's just common wisdom. Gen Z is living rent free in your head
>>
Earwa sucks pretty bad
>God is real and he will arbitrarily damn you to hell for eternity
>Aliens are going to rape you to death to stop him
>>
File: 1586287533340.jpg (6 KB, 249x188)
6 KB
6 KB JPG
>I'm not shocked, I'm the one who mentioned it. But saying that there are fucked up people on the internet, who would make something like dogwood isn't zoomer shit, it's just common wisdom. Gen Z is living rent free in your head
>>
>>87486052
I find Turnip has just enough whimsy to it that I have a hard time agreeing with the tier it's in. Even if the world is a mud covered hellhole infested by parasitic roots, there seems to be a decent enough number of regular people enjoying themselves.
>>
>>87475503
Silver Marches > Amn > Thay > all Inner Sea > power gap > almost everything else > shit > Baldur's Gate > Sword Coast
>>
>>87486052
What's so bad about Xas Irkalla and Black Sun Deathcrawl? Not going to read an entire setting just to know why its 'the worst'
>>
>>87502184
In Black Sun Death Crawl, you can only play as a miserable ghoul desperately clawing through the dirt to get away from the all-consuming, all-destroying light of the black sun. IIRC the sample "adventure" in the book has you frantically digging until you stumble into a primitive underground society blissfully ignorant of the impending doom of the black sun. You solve some kind of problem for them I can't remember with some combat sequences, but it's all for nought because the black sun seeps into the cavern to consume them. The "adventure" ends with you choosing to give into despair and be consumed by the black sun or continue digging until your next exercise in existential punishment.
>>
>>87502240
How can you even have a 'game' if literally everything has been erased by some sun?

Not to mention, that just sounds like your standard 'everyone is going to die' apocalypse
>>
>>87502184
>Xas Irkalla
The world is a broken graveyard for dying universes. Everything is cold, grey, dusty, and almost wholly scrubbed of life - most people have to survive through cannibalism. Eldritch horrors infest everywhere, and they can drag you into a fate worse than death. Human settlements are made up of the insane, mind-controlled servants of comatose god kings that escape the hellish conditions by dreaming themselves into their own personal worlds. Many such settlements go through the motions of day to day life, but all the crops they cut down and cattle they slaughter are other people. There is zero hope and no way out. The best state you can be in is being cold, hungry, starving, and alone in the grey wilderness.

>Black Sun Deathcrawl?
One day the Black Sun appeared and turned the world into a wasteland. Its dark light continually expands, causing madness, mutilation, and ruin, and gradually filters through any substance. The survivors can do nothing but dig deeper and deeper into the earth to stay barely ahead of it. Meanwhile, it sends out delusions and nightmares that make this life barely tolerable. There is no way to stop it, it will never end.
>>
>>87502315
I mean...the black sun sounds bad, but how is that TWO tiers above Warhammer 40k?
>oh there's a big ball of plasma exploding and everyone is going to die, also mutiliation and shit
>>
>>87502285
It's a rules lite game built for one-shots with high risk of mortality or TPK. It's not meant to be for epic quests and parties of unique characters with classes. It's extremely niche.
>>
>>87502315
Being a comatose god king doesn't sound so bad.

The setting as a whole sounds somewhat reminiscent of McCarthy's The Road btw, what with the biosphere being dead and consequently nourishment being so scarce that the survivors are reduced to cannibalising one another in order to buy just a little bit more time.
>>
>>87502347
Because Warhammer 40k has at least some kind of civilization and infrastructure and the will to preserve it, dystopian as it may be. BSDC is literally just "you are a mindless ghoul, more animal than man, who only knows fear of the black sun and the frantic urge to dig"
>>
>>87502382
>Because Warhammer 40k has at least some kind of civilization and infrastructure and the will to preserve it,
Yes, and chances are, you will die. You will die horribly, and then your soul will be eaten by a fucking demon.

BSDC could happen in an 40k world and it wouldn't even be the most cruel event. You can't compare 'evil sun that kills everything, go dig a hole' to shit like servitors and the daemonculaba.
>>
>>87502382
The OG 40k really isn't that different in principle, it's just decay and retreat on a longer time scale. The Imperium as a whole is a mindless ghoul, it only knows fear of a million xeno horrors and tries to keep digging, but we know it's doomed to fail eventually. Although the same probably can't be said about the current 40k anymore with its shift toward noblebrightness.
>>
>>87502347
In 40K some people are having a good time. In XI or BSDC, there is genuinely only suffering.
>>
>>87502401
>You can't compare 'evil sun that kills everything, go dig a hole' to shit like servitors and the daemonculaba.
Yes I can, because in 40k there are better things you can be than that. You could be a planetary governor or esteemed ecclesiarch, you could even be an underhive scoundrel or normal citizen who makes the most out of their shitty environment. Hell, you could be an adventuring rogue trader!
In BSDC there is no such thing. There are no people who exist in comfort or relative happiness, no "making the most of it", no people willing to fight to preserve their little corner of the setting. Only aimless, mentally-stunted ghouls, driven by an animalistic sense of self-preservation to dig with their gnarled hands until they fall into a gigaspider's cavern and are eaten or give into the futility of existence and allow themselves to die.
>>
>>87502505
But the other anon said there was a blissfully ignorant cave tribe in BSDC's sample adventure
>>
Xas Irkalla always struck me as a mixture of Barlowe's Hell and Luis Ryo's art (but without any of the sexy women) where everyone is a half-mad starving survivor and the average life expectancy is like a few weeks.
>>
>>87502551
Ignorant of the impending doom, they were still primitive devolved humans living in misery and squalor. I called them "blissfully ignorant" sarcastically.
>>
>>87502619
It's supposed to be inspired by the nihilistic themes of certain black metal bands.
>>
>>87502315
>Many such settlements go through the motions of day to day life, but all the crops they cut down and cattle they slaughter are other people.
What do they feed their "cattle?"
>>
>>87477461
I'll never understand the mindset of you fucks who need literally everything fucking removed.
I used to browse /tg/ all the time because it was full of content, now I just casually check it out every once in awhile because it's on its way to being a dead board.
It's on its way to being a dead bored because you assholes obsessively chase away all the creatives and anything fun that isn't 100% kosher from your narrow point of view. Just fucking stop.
>>
>>87500026
It's mostly new lore, but it's inspired by stuff like Hypnos or Silver Key where similar shit can happen.
>>
>>87502315
>>87502377
Admittedly in Xas Irkalla, you CAN become an Architect (one of the comatose god-kings) and escape suffering for the most part by dreaming your own infinite series of universe's that you rule over. But the quest to become one literally relies upon you breaching the realms of the Qlippoth, itself a stupidly impossibly dangerous task, and then completing various trials to align yourself to the Azerate - the supreme demonic principles that govern all of Irkalla and the darkness beyond called Sitri Ahra - and each trial necessitates doing awful shit like destroying your ability to survive beyond killing the innocent or completely annihilating your soul or stuff like that. And from an out of universe perspective, the sheer length of the quest, the danger, and the utterly absurd XP requirement would require YEARS of campaigns just to reach a point where you feasibly could complete it and become an Architect so it may as well be impossible.

There's also literally nothing stopping the forces of a rival Architect from banking your dreaming withered body, which instantly collapses all of your dreamt up multiverses and forces your mind to have to cling to the psyche of an Endling, the last remnant from them, in order to survive now that you're once again in Irkalla but sans any degree of power. Oh, and if you're a psychic in the setting, your own power will drive you mad and consume you, turning you into an eldritch monstrosity just as powerful as an Architect but at the cost of utterly obliterating your ego.
>>
>>87502347
>>87502382
>>87502401
The Black Sun is also very explicitly only limited by the fact that the Gods, in fear of it, completely dimensionally sealed and isolated the universe that it is in. The universe is explicitly doomed to be consumed by it, but the Gods hope that since it's locked into one universe, it won't break out and devour the rest of existence and will wither out, dying with its prison. This can change if the players encounter and fuck up the loop/bootstrap paradox that the Last God is engaged in, which destroys reality and sets the Black Sun free - where it pulls a Pandorym and devours all the Gods and ends all existence forever.

40k has nothing on BSDC. It never has and never will.
>>
>>87502446
>Cadia being destroyed is a shift toward Noblebrightness
Nigga you dumb
>>
>>87505895
I think he's referring more toward Rowbot Girlyman being the de facto leader of the Imperium now.
>>
>>87505975
So it turned noblebright when he almost died fighting his brother? Or was it after the Emperor told him the primarchs were just tools he used to conquer the galaxy with?
>>
>>87474830
Autumn Tale, I think the name was
>>
>>87506026
I'm not arguing it turned "noblebright" (NTA) but I can see how the leader of the Imperium going from a council of corrupt, self-serving overlords to an idealistic super-man is a little less compelling.
>>
>>87506056
That's fair, honestly everyone knew that GW was going to bring back the Primarchs eventually. They left all their fates in limbo for a reason. The question is if shit is going to hit the fan in universe as a response to them coming back or not.
>>
>>87506056
Guilleman's whole story is incredibly grim dark, he is witnessing the whole ideology he fought for being totally corrupted by his own people and sees the Empire he fought to create slowly degrading and being bit off by the enemies he thought had been defeated.
>>
>>87506159
Right, and now he's at the wheel. See the problem?
>>
>>87502551
They were still miserable and practically mindless.
>>
>>87506026
The fact that the Emperor can talk to anyone at all is already a brighter state of affairs than the original lore where it's left ambiguous whether he isn't just a corpse which the golden throne merely prevents from crumbling to dust.
>>
>>87475791
Incel mindset. Sex ain't THAT great, especially when sourrended by shit like Kingdom Death throws at you constantly.
>>
F.A.T.A.L. It's pretty fucking nihilistic miserable rapecore, but the absolutely worst part would be being associated with F.A.T.A.L.
>>
>>87474804
Where's that shitpost from? I've seen it many times here
>>
>>87507343
It would be if all the women you could have sex with had big sloppy knockers and a tasteful amount of squish in their tummy and thighs like in KD. Call me an incel or coomer all you want, I WILL die on this hill.
>>
>>87489992
It varies wildly from planet to planet, you can make it as bad as you want. I think priestly said many places were peaceful and far removed from conflict or Imperial oppression, and like fiefdoms it came down to the nature of your local lords.
>>87489992
It could be or it could be a horrible hydroponic slave plant or some kind of noxious algae farm where the workers only live 10 years etc...
>>
>>87511406
Priestly's word hasn't been canon for about 30 years.
That said, it stands to reason there could be relatively peaceful/pleasant planets, but thematically they only exist to have that peace/pleasantness shattered forever by a brutal alien invasion, chaos incursion, or warp storm that turns it into a centuries long battlefield, so an imperial scribe can look over the hellish landscape and muse to his companions "Hard to believe, but the records say this was a paradise once..."
>>
>>87511523
Those worlds must exist in abundance, or else the Imperium would eventually run out of paradises to see destroyed. Thematically, there must be a significant portion of the total population living in relative peace, so that their descendants can suffer.
Most of the Imperial population will be Hive-dwelling subhumans, though.
>>
>>87489624
That's still a chad face though
>>
>>87489624
Does onions sauce even contain xenoestrogens? It's heavily fermented and, for example, doesn't trigger onions allergies.
>>
>>87511626
My point is, using them as an example that "40k might not be so bad" doesn't sway me much because they're thematically so far removed from the setting before their narrative purpose comes into play, I'd hardly consider them "part of the setting" since their actual purpose in the setting is to be a fallen paradise.
>>
>>87511626
>or else the Imperium would eventually run out of paradises to see destroyed
That's the idea. The Imperium is only in such a neverending stasis because GW desires to continue milking the setting. As per lore they are meant to be in terminal decline however. If GW decided to tomorrow to discontinue 40k, there would be nothing holding back the Xeno hordes. Every last human would die a gruesome death and the Necrons would duke it out with the Tyranids who gets to rule over the Imperium's smoldering ashes.
>>
>>87490374
Have you tried cutting your face back open? You may be suffering from skinseal

I do like how creative the setting is. I've never considered cursing someone with having to drink their own brain every time they piss it back out before

One thing I've never been sure of, is it just using generic DnD rules? It mentions levelling up and having different races if you devolve, but it doesn't mention what that actually means Just basing my theory on it using OGL mainly
>>
>>87511725
The biggest concern people have with with soi is phytoestrogens and that doesn't actually do much to humans. You're better off being more worried about the microplastics that exist in practically everything most Americans eat, not just hyper obsessing over soi.
>>
>>87502285
It's basically a metaphor for depression in tabletop RPG form

Hell even the enemies are called "Black thoughts" or"terrible thoughts" and the latter are unkillable, all you can do is escape.

The entire meaning of the thing is that even if everything is terrible forever, you're suffering every second you're alive, only you as a player or person can call it quits. Your character can't die unless you want it to. Which is supposed to be hopeful, I guess

Of course, this doesn't really work as a metaphor if someone is genuinely suffering from a horrible condition that is 100% going to kill them, but I guess you wouldn't really want to play this with them in that case
>>
>>87502551
Ignorant until the light reaches them, which it will within a few days of you finding them
>>
>>87495063
>No, mercenaries are totally all badass soldiers and real harcores, because Cannon movies from the 80s told me so
Here (You) are
>>
>>87511626
>>87511523
40k is horrible if you are on a focused upon world. Otherwise 40k is rough but tolerable.

Also there wouldn't be 20 hour work days. That would prevent the workers from attending morning, midday, and evening mass and anyone daring to imperil the very souls of the Emperor's loyal subjects in such a way would be sure to face censure and reprisal from the Ministorum.
>>
>>87513728
I don't think anybody here actually claimed the average Imperial citizen worked 20 hours a day, but almost every description of labor in-lore is some form of "long, grueling, and backbreaking in callous conditions", unless of course you're in the Administratum or something, which is then "long, tedious, soul-crushing, and ultimately pointless."
>>
>>87479341
/thread
>>
>>87513082
>I've never considered cursing someone with having to drink their own brain every time they piss it back out before
What
How does that even work in gameplay?

>One thing I've never been sure of, is it just using generic DnD rules?
It's Dungeon Crawl Classics.
>>
>>87514953
You lose a certain amount of INT from part of your brain liquifying and dribbling out your nose.
You can regain that INT by drinking the fluid, but x-amount of IRL time later, you piss your brain liquid out, lose the INT, and have to regain it by drinking the piss, ad infinitum.
>>
>>87476384
>yoomer
kek
>>
>>87475813

>left-normies demanding gender/pronoun equality in dystopian settings

I know this is done because they just want the media they consume to reflect their values and avoid offending people, but considering that they're not demanding that these settings actually increase people's quality of life or humanity in any other way, really just gets me thinking that at some level they know that the forced cultural erasure of natural human distinctions is in fact a property of a dystopian culture
>>
>>87517412
Personally I think the demand to be "represented" has gotten so reflexive, the context isn't even considered. They look at a setting about catholic space nazis and, without stopping to consider those themes, ask "okay but can I self-insert as a catholic space nazi? It would be really empowering if I could"
>>
File: the.gambler.png (500 KB, 531x707)
500 KB
500 KB PNG
>>87492759
There is no lore or setting book (and it is a board game with hard plastic minis). You piece together an idea of the world by drip fed lore blurbs from descriptions from the material (cards, the books), and even from individual minis on the store page. Then you might ask
>But who or what -is- the Golden Entity/the Gambler/the Scribe/the Goblin/anything else, really?
And no one but the Dev team knows.
>>
>>87517546
The KDM Entities are the embodiment of that endlessly dark rabbit hole that you just can't escape.
>>
>>87474832
Obviously the miserable one. Why is this a question?
>>
>>87477461
I think they're fun, but I hate when a faction's position on the compass is treated like their physical position in space relative to the others, like the AI Warbots in this one.
>>
>>87480747
>Unironically 40k is pretty bad to be in.
Why do you say that like it isn't obvious?
>>
>>87511075
This is the sort of anon that would fall for KD Satan's japes.
>>
Nechronica
>everything is dead
>atmosphere so fucked, the sun never shines
>if you're not dead, which is outstandingly rare - you're surrounded by a world full of horrifying biomutant anominations, designed by a collection of deranged godwizards that are so bored with It all, they create shitty plays and sims designed to inflict maximum suffering on a bunch of undead designed to look like girls
>They want to maximize the pain so much, they give those girls souls and let them loose
>>
>>87495214
>or you get a glimpse of the fantastic and go stark raving mad.
Lolno. Even if you go by the RPG rules, you can suffer a few knocks to your SAN before you need to start worrying about permanent damage. And Lovecraft's stories have few people who actually go mad: It's usually just a combination of PTSD and "if I tell people about this, they will THINK I've gone mad."
>>
>>87485284
>newfag thinking that this site is a complete island that never links to anything outside or use any reference that is also used by "normies"
>and, btw, also wouldn't know what a normie is aside from "they laugh at the maymays I don't find funny"
Is it already summer?
>>
>>87513761
The thing is that hive worlds are so overwhelmingly populous, into the trillions and trillions, that the majority of humanity is on hive worlds. Which really are that shit. But the majority of worlds, on the other hand, are not hive worlds, which make up only a very, very small percentage of the overall.
>>
>>87502150
Silver Marches collapsed under the orc and drow war most recently in 5e, it’s gone now. Silverymoon is probably okay still, but otherwise you’re better off hitting up Shadowdale or Cormyr. Or, even better, go to wizard land and see Halruaa’s sights.
>>
>>87521335
/thread
The canon explanation for Nechronica is bleak and there is no coming back from it.
>>
File: nikek.gif (1.94 MB, 300x178)
1.94 MB
1.94 MB GIF
>>87521992
>5e
>>
>>87490697
My players can't play in Dark Sun (pre 5th, that faggotry is for babbies). They find it impossible to play in unless they're an all Thri Keen party (or a jungle gnome. But then they can't go anywhere else).
>>
>>87513139
Microplastics and corn paste are far more damaging to the human body than onions, but the conservative right loves that stuff.
>>
>>87521335
>Nechronica
Coomercore setting.
>>
>>87474804
Volg
>>
File: 1586965008767.jpg (69 KB, 691x463)
69 KB
69 KB JPG
>>87523536
Que?
>>
>>87523528
Any setting is coomercore If your gm plays horny, "coomercore" means fucking nothing unless the system was designed with fanservice in mind. And I read Nechro and I assure that this is not It
>>
I Have no Mouth and I must Scream ttrpg.
>>
>>87475813
this is true though, to a degree.
>be trans-woman
>become space marine
I imagine it would suppress most of your issues but we know there are female space marines in the emperors children due to warp shenanigans and fabulous bill doing also shenanigans.

also in setting they already ARE its. they inspire horror in people because they're clearly inhuman.
>>
>>87475813
Lmao troons would all be executed violently for being Slaaneshi cultists.
>>
It gets to a point where its so retarded how bad it is to live in a setting everyone should be dead. Dont make the mistake of grimdark retardation. The worst times and places to live for humans in history are short lived because everyone dies and because everyone dies whatever that is happening ends. Think china during the great famine or a city under siege. These are short lived events and are unsustainable. So in warhammer hive cities disease should just spread and kill everyone or enough people where alot of room gets opened up or in cities everyone should be starving till the population drops alot.
>>
>>87521967
Right, but most descriptions of those worlds are pretty bleak as well. It's not as if hive worlds are particularly outstanding in their shittiness.
>>
>>87517480
You're already giving them more credit in thinking about this than what's actually going on. It's purely about making others validate their worldview, forcing it on others because they believe it's what's good and just, or because they are miserable people and have an entire ideological religion based around other people conforming to their hellish worldview so they don't have to confront their own personal failings or bad feelings. You're assuming they even play the game on that level when they don't. They just want you to submit or die, and for everything to be as they like it.
>>
>>87488515
>Hunter-gatherers are happier than we are
Are we sure about that? This seems like an assumption based off a worldview that it needs to reinforce.
>>
>>87517546
>no one but the dev team knows
I guarantee you that they don't. This sort of vague lores are written not because they are deep but because it gives endless leeway with improvising stuff.
>>
File: 1674009434298514.jpg (371 KB, 1080x1608)
371 KB
371 KB JPG
>>87507343
>Sex ain't THAT great

If you suck at it and you/your partner are unsexy I'll bet it does. Refer to my earlier point about the kind of human beings in Kingdom Death.
>>
Everyone is saying Black Sun Deathcrawl is the worst but no one is explaining why.
>>
>>87530112
>I'll bet it does

er, I'll bet it's not rather
>>
>>87530144
I did >>87502240
>>
>>87530365
ty anon
>>
>>87505872
>This can change if the players encounter and fuck up the loop/bootstrap paradox that the Last God is engaged in

eggsplain
>>
>>87474804
Depends on who's telling the story. I hear 40k fags talk about it all he time like everyone is living in a nightmare dystopia, then I get suckered into reading some 40k novels and it's only "a lot of people on the fringes or in space have to deal with bad shit, but most worlds are cozy enough.
>>
>>87530473
>"a lot of people on the fringes or in space have to deal with bad shit, but most worlds are cozy enough.
Name one book that says this.
>>
>>87474804
Damn now that it's laid out like that Golarion does come across as Berserk-tier bad.
>>
>>87499161
I remember this. This one is really fucking horrifying.
>>
>>87530708
I just finished the Eisenhorn series. Most of the worlds are just people living lives. It's the rare exceptions for an inquisitor to visit a small corner of their world, as bad as some things are it's one corner of a whole world. That's less bad shit than we get on our world. The hive worlds aren't the rule, they're exceptions.
>>
>>87521992
>Cormyr
>literal police state with mind reading wizards who want to make SURE that you really do love the king
>where if you have a daughter you will be assured of a royal bastard grandchild because the royal family are a bunch of absolute turbosluts be they male or female
>where adventurers have to register with the government, and spellcasters are forbidden entry unless they join the state Gestap- I mean, War Wizards
>where even the common peasantry, on hearing anything less than supreme patriotism from your mouth, will report you to the army, which also does the police work
Cormyr is a fantasy North Korea as soon as you are beneath the surface. In many ways you don’t even have to be beneath the surface actually.
>>
>>87531072
>Most of the worlds are just people living lives.
In comparatively worse environments than us. I've read Eisenhorn, too.
>>
>>87531278
Worse than us? No. Overall better longer lives. Their hive worlds are a minority, our third world is a majority.

The books only take place where bad things are happening, but things aren't bad until the shit happens usually, and people are surprised, the local people, by shit being bad.
>>
>>87531468
>Overall better longer lives.
Based on what.
>>
>>87531468
The average life expectancy for Macragge in Ultramar, generally held to be at least above average, is 40-50 years.
>>
>>87531542
you didn't read the books you liar.
>>
>>87531604
did you just miss the entire context of this conversation?
>>
>>87531610
Bro are you talking about the juvenae program that is only accessible to the 0.000001% of the Imperium rich and important enough for it?
>>
>>87531604
>>87531648
Did you just not read my post or something? are you idiots this retarded? This >>87530473

I said "it depends who is telling it" and "as an example in these books vs the other sources of lore..."

Jesus christ.
>>
>>87531671
Okay but which book is telling you most planets aren't so bad?
>>
>>87531707
literally the majority of the eisenhorn series. I already said.
>>
>>87531726
Which planets
>>
>>87531755
for the love of god go back and read my other comments before replying you retard. When I said "the majority of worlds" do you think they're named?
>>
40k fans really are the most autistic.
>>
>>87531780
Which passage says this.
>>
>>87530423
There's a god in the setting named Oblitus Omega, who's travelling backwards in time. Quoting the game directly:
>In the final encounter, Oblitus Omega is still flush with power, a hypercolor caul of liquid time enveloping him. He does not recognize the party, and can be negotiated with. However, if the group does not fight him after doing battle twice before, Time Itself is fractured, which splinters the reality prison, freeing the Black Sun and destroying all life.
>>
File: C4GzcSoWEAEMdDB.jpg (22 KB, 217x260)
22 KB
22 KB JPG
>>87515167
>you piss your brain liquid out, lose the INT, and have to regain it by drinking the piss, ad infinitum
>>
File: e53.png (134 KB, 330x492)
134 KB
134 KB PNG
>>87531849
hold on I have the book series I read 2 months ago photographically memorized and my perfect recall will easily be able to pull up specific "passages" like a numbered verse from the fucking bible.

How about you read this passage: >>87531801
>>
File: 18zkx0.jpg (90 KB, 800x696)
90 KB
90 KB JPG
>>87531989
I win.
>>
>>87532019
Congratz you won an internet argument no one else was participating in.
>>
>>87532029
This is the greatest moment of my life.
>>
>>87531801
This.
>>
File: dasindiz_2.jpg (182 KB, 828x828)
182 KB
182 KB JPG
>>87519279
Because even ITT there are people who think it's not. The majority of humanity lives under "the cruelest, most bloody regime imaginable," and only a small percentage of nobility/the elite don't live in awful conditions. Not everywhere experiences war, but all Imperial worlds pay the Imperial Tithe, which means excess production goes into the war effort. There's no working for a better tomorrow. Your grandkids won't have a higher quality of life than you because anything that's not used immediately gets siphoned off. If you can't pay the tithe, your world is likely shit and unable to produce anything other than bodies.

The Imperium is dying a slow death. They only delay the inevitable. Either Chaos or xenos will rule the galaxy. Humanity is destined to be destroyed or enslaved.
>>
>>87511725
SHUT THE FUCK UP
SHUT THE FUCK UP
SHUT THE FUCK UP
>>
Most of 40k isn't really that bad but I really can't think of a worse place than Commoragh. Its an extradimensional city hellscape filled with wicked cunts who want nothing more to inflict the most amount of suffering and cruelty as possible to as many people as possible. Almost every Dark Eldar is a terrible person to their core and even the higher class Dark Eldar don't have great lives aside from Vect probably. Other bleak settings usually display their cruelty through divine acts by cruel gods. But the Dark Eldar are different in that even without Chaos being a thing the Dark Eldar would still be evil assholes.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.