[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 0x0.jpg (109 KB, 1200x675)
109 KB
109 KB JPG
I'm off sick and need me some recommendations on videogames.
I adored NWN (NWN2 less so, but still good).

There's a million WH/40k videogames. Any diamonds amongst the trash?
>>
Blood bowl is good fun, for both picking up from time to time and doing campaigns, though gets a bit boring if not doing multiplayer.
I never played BB2 as my computer is shit, but looking at steam it looks to be full of DLC at $5 per team, which is a red flag
>>
>>87468800
I don't understand how it's M2.023 and there's still no good Warhammer RPG.
>>
>>87469080
(computer RPG obviously, autists)
>>
>>87468800
Have you played Planescape? Baldur's Gate 1-2? What about Knights of the Old Republic 1-2? All of those use d20 like NWN, but BG and PS are ADnD/2E.
>>
>>87469089
there isn't good pen and paper one either
>>
The only 40k game I've played in the last few years was Mechanicus, which is a passable XCOM-alike with some changes to mechanics to make it have a different feeling. Get it on sale if you can, skip the heretek DLC it doesn't add enough of value.

Other shit I can recommend that is in some way /tg/:
>Orb of Creation. It's the least idle "idle game" you'll ever play, it's not finished yet but there's a solid 20-30 hours of play before you hit the current end of content. Instead of just waiting for numbers to go up, you are constructing and casting spells (with modifiers), crafting shit, setting up alchemy, doing rituals, it is a very involved game and every time you're feeling on top of what you have, it adds another layer.
>Fae Tactics. It's a cute FF Tactics Advance-alike and a good lesson in how limitations can breed creativity in design. Instead of learning lots of abilities, each unit has one action for each type (target enemy, target self, target ally, super move), and while you may change what those are between combats, it's limited once you lock in for a fight.
>Frost. A solo deckbuilder which feels like "the TTS port of a physical game", except there is no physical game. It is a brutal, stylised resource deck management game about moving through an ever-freezing tundra. If you hate the art don't buy it. It's one of those "one dev" games where everything is exactly as the dev wanted it, and it's probably a metaphor for their life.
>Shadowrun Dragonfall. The better DLC campaign for Shadowrun Returns, released stand alone, it's a great adaption of SR to digital campaign form. The entire SRR / SRHK / SRDF trilogy is currently on sale for like 7 britbux on steam.
>Pillars of Eternity. I can't remember if the story's good, great, or "flawed but enjoyable", but the gameplay will scratch the itch that comes from knowing a similar system and having to figure out how best to break this new one.
>>
You should check out A Dance With Rogues, it's a popular NWN mod.
>>
>>87469127 Less /tg/ but still in our wheelhouse recommendations
>Fuga: melodies of steel. Turn based JRPG about adorable japanese-style furry orphans in WW2 hell. If you fail a battle you can literally feed a child to the soul cannon to win the fight, that child is dead forever. War is hell, and you have an orphan powered soul cannon. Lol.
>Chroma Squad. Incredibly cheap, it's a power rangers turn based tactics game with a business management side, as you are buying props to run a discount brazilian power rangers show, and then staging fights in turn based TBT mode. The devs deserve your money for the fact that saban tried to sue them out of existence for "copyright infringement" and they managed to survive, slapping an "inspired by saban's power rangers" logo on the front page sarcastically.
>Pawnbarian. It's a true roguelike, in that there is no meta-progress between runs, only winning to unlock harder levels with the same kit. Simple sorta-puzzler. Satisfying to beat what was giving you trouble, because you didn't just unlock a set of sequential 5% boosts until you won.
>Symphony of War. What if fire emblem, but each unit on the field was multiple people, a la Advance Wars, but each of those people were mixed-class individual units with stats, lives, and permadeath like fire emblem? How many disposable soldiers do you want to put in front of Priestess Confesta the Bountiful?.
>>
>>87468800
>40k
Dawn of War 1+2, Final Liberation, Space Marine, and Mechanicus are all pretty good. Chapter Master can be pretty jank at times but that can be forgiven given that it was a one man fan game that was never finished before GW's legal team killed it.
>>
>>87468800
Started Neverwinter Nights Enchanted edition coop with my friend yesterday
I picked fighter, he picked sorcerer
He keeps dying because he only has like 12 hp while I have 64 and savescuming ain't optional because we both spawn in the starting temple
Any good mods for NWN coop?
>>
>>87468800
I recommend Pathfinder: Kingmaker.
I made a magus/monk with 40 AC, it's lots of fun crunch wise.
>>
>>87468800
divinity original sin,as hard as you want it to be

my recent playthrough with the multiple client exploit they allow (4 clients open, all join your LAN) and make a custom party, save after it starts and play offline with the save

I run 4 skeleton humans. Anything visible is in their hands, so stuff that isnt is equipped. Classic 4 skeletons killing everyone, goodguys too. Easy difficulty because they're mostly naked to show all bones
>>
File: 1v2.png (137 KB, 546x406)
137 KB
137 KB PNG
>>87469759
>>
>>87469127
>Get it on sale if you can, skip the heretek DLC it doesn't add enough of value.
Just fuckin' pirate it at this point.
>>
File: Recommended_vg_2.jpg (1.02 MB, 1891x1804)
1.02 MB
1.02 MB JPG
>>87468800
Pic related

Dungeon Siege. Has the appeal of NWN2's combat mechanics except you get more party members.

If you're still playing NWN2, consider the shitloads of mod campaigns that exist (Icewind Dale, Pool of Radiance, and Shrouded Sun are pretty great)

If you're really committed to 1 there are some mod campaigns that port entire games over, like Ultima 4, which is a good game only slightly diminished by being ported over and the port still basically gets the experience.

Try Jagged Alliance 2, it's like an X-Com RPG but themed around the A-Team

Kenshi is also worth playing for RTWP, lots of mod content for it too.

Assuming you have a PC, download emulators and try some hack n slash titles for various platforms.
>>87469725
I assume you're playing the Original campaign, which kinda blows. My suggestion is either try a different full campaign, like Shadows of Undrentide, or one of the smaller ones that start you at like level 5-6. Some classes don't really get off the ground until several levels in. Also you two need to coordinate your tactics more because fighters exist to protect casters in systems like that.
>>
>>87469908
>Also you two need to coordinate your tactics more because fighters exist to protect casters in systems like that.
I do try to protect him, but even common mook just walks over him
He also keen to step into every trap there is, he died by the rogue tutorial door
Even his familiar and halfling mercenary don't help
>>
>>87468800
Auren society of weavers for NWN, fan made module which is fantastic.
>>
>>87469725
There's an option for max HD per level in the settings, alternatively what's his Constitution as that's ridiculously low HP.
>>
>>87469996
His constitution is 8 since that's the default for every stat in the game and his dumbness did even let him uprage it to standard 10
>There's an option for max HD per level in the settings
Option for what? Where is it?
>>
>>87468800
Original 1998 Chaos Gate is quite fun if you'll manage to launch it and won't stumble on any major bugs. Most of it is supposed to be fixed in GOG version, but I've still had to use virtual machine in order to launch the game.
Freeblade is a fun little railshooter if you'll install the cracked version and will never actually spend a cent on any in-game purchases. Some extra polish can be applied if you're willing to hack the weapons level, so you can take small guns to the highest tier. Otherwise your knight will look like he's compensating.
Space Hulk: Tactics can be decent because of the good writing. However, the game itself is tedious. I've ran through it in an evening by hacking action points and just enjoyed some cool dialogue.
Deathwatch Enhanced Edition is a good game if you're willing to spend time on it. You will need to do a lot of save editing in order to remove all the skills that crash or break the game. Plasma overheat is also better to be removed. Chapter-locked weapons are also quite annoying and can be overcome with savegame editing. The game is also only fun on the highest difficulty level, which is locked unless you complete the game at least once. Hence you should actually download the savegame.
I can also give you my savegame, which has about 20 marines pre-edited properly with all the bugged skills removed.
Obviously, I recommend you to pirate everything above. Never pay a cent for the game you have to work on yourself in order to have fun.
Also, everything >>87469632 said is awesome. You can throw in Squad Command into that list, playable with emulator on any PC. Awesome game.
Space Marine is extra fun if you'll spend some time modding it and replacing default Ultramarine with whatever you want. I still have all the tools and tutorials from old Relic forums saved.
I've also heard good things about Battlefleet Gothic games, but I haven't played those myself yet.
>>
>>87468800
>>87470073
Oh yeah, Kill Team is also quite fun if you have a friend to play with, preferably locally. Playing online with randoms is for retarded normies who do not have friends.
>>
>>87470006
>Option for what?
HD, hit dice. A randomized amount of HP you increase by per level determined by your class.
>Where is it?
Options, Gameplay under ruleset.

Though he just needs a new character. Max HP he can get per level is 3, minimum 0. That negative Con means he loses his modifier (-1) multiplied by his level. He should be looking for 14 as a minimum.
>>
>>87470122
Any way to make new character with level higher than 1? I too started the game as two-weapon fighter because I didn't know you need dex to be good at two-weapon wielding
>>
>>87470148
What level are you aiming at? There is the Debug/cheat system you can use to level
https://nwn.fandom.com/wiki/Debug_mode
https://nwn.fandom.com/wiki/Console_command
You'll want to do this single player and export/import the character unless debug commands are enabled on your shared game.

Also Dexterity isn't needed for two weapon fighting, the Feat ambidexterity is.
>>
>>87470191
That feat needs 15 dexterity to get
>>
>>87470210
Ahhhh, I forget prerequisites like that sometimes. I should mention that Rangers get a special class feature that combines the two feats for free (limited to wearing light armour to benefit from it though). The double sided weapons also work well for two weapon fighting, but you'll need a feat for exotic proficiency (any full BAB class can get it off the bat).
>>
>>87470251
I want to be a cool foot knight with mace and shortsword like Kruber from Vermintide
I doubt he's anything but fighter
Also I'm doing suprisingly good as of now, even defeated prison double-axe orc singlehandedly because my friend stepped on a trap in that hall
>>
>>87470313
Well for your friend's sake a redo of character creation sounds needed, hope you have fun together with it.
>>
>>87469080
Games Workshop refuse to even bother stocking the TTRPG in their store.
>>
I love videogames!
>>87469759
Would you care to tell me more about your skeleton party? Sounds fun
>>
File: 1673230292958710.jpg (31 KB, 407x612)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
Have a look at Solasta. Sure it's based on 5e, but mechanically is good. The story, character design and voice acting feels like the DM did all himself.
>>
>>87468800
Dragon Age Origins, ignore the fuckawful sequels.
NWN1 and 2
Grim Dawn
An isometric RPG on Steam, forgot the name but it's good.
IMO Warhammer sucks shit so none of its games are good.
>>
File: low magic age.jpg (12 KB, 480x360)
12 KB
12 KB JPG
>>87468800
I bought Low Magic Age a couple of years ago, and earlier this month I gave it another go. It's in perpetual development, but they've obviously put some work into it since the last time I played. It's pure dungeon crawl and wilderness encounters based on 3.5 without the tedious role-playing. Cheap and worth a look.
>>
>>87474252
>An isometric RPG on Steam, forgot the name but it's good

Way to narrow it down anon
>>
>>87468800
I am contractually obligated to shill Dragon's Dogma at every opportunity I get. It's OSR: the video game made by the creators of Devil May Cry. Play it, cry in frustration, develop stockholm syndrome and be gratetful you're spared the decade of despair we've had to endure. Just make sure to skip the anime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_H48HizqU8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-J9pcprLTN0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kSkuRXwNAU
No, there are no better videos. This is literally the only two youtubers that cover this game.

>>87473241
Both DOS games heavily feature area mechanics and undead characters mess around with that because they can stand in poison and constantly heal(until the poison gets set on fire). That opens you up to some interesting tactics. You don't even have to be a human skeleton, you can go elf, dwarf and lizard bones, all with different racial abillties.
>>
>>87476810
I have a complicated relationship with LMA. It's decent, but I feel like the changes to core mechanics to be more like 3.5's didn't help it at all.
>>
>>87477247
Agreed. Also they're never going to fully implement everything, so I don't know why they have placeholders. As is, it's a nice little time-waster though.
>>
So how is Dorf Fort Steam Edition?
>>
>>87468800
>There's a million WH/40k videogames. Any diamonds amongst the trash?
I'll add Dark Omen, peak comfy WHFB. One problem is that it's from that weird old era that refuses to run past Win98 (that is, until the guys at VOGONS made it work).
>>
>>87477281
more "user friendly" than open source alternative, and ever so slightly pozzed
>>
>>87479760
PS1 version is playable. Same with Shadow of the Horned Rat, which I personally own.
>>
>>87469153
kek
>>
>>87469908
Thx for remembering Dungeon Siege 2, I was looking for the name for years. Really great game, spent 300+ hours years ago, perhaps give it a try for the second time.
Started NWN2 yesterday, got lucky with a buggy Amelie at the start and she’s still alive after act 1. Try to bug Shandra too, got her once buggy to.
>>
STEAMPUNK LIGHTNING ROUND
>Sunless Seas/Skies (If you're brave you can come play with the big boys in Fallen London but it's an investment.)
>80 Days (The Inkle one)
>Frostpunk
>Lamplight City
>the Thief Games
>Dishonored (Fuck you it's steampunk.)
>Arcanum
If you're allergic to progress and industry here are some others I quite like
>Inkles Sorcery! (Literally just Steve Jackson's gamebook with automated mechanics. Great Art)
>Kingdom Come: Deliverance
>Metro Games (I hear stalker is good but I've never played those ones)
>SS13 (I recommend Interstation 12)
Granted, not all of these are directly /tg/ related, but I've ripped from all of them for my games.
>>
>>87479821
For a given definition of "playable". I beat the Playstation version of Dark Omen but I doubt I'd want to see it in that resolution ever again.
>>
>>87468800
>ctrl+f grimrock
>no hits
For fag's sake, anons.

Legend of Grimrock 1,2. Oldschool blobber-style dungeon crawlers polished to a high shine and with modern-ish visuals. If you have to choose get 2, but both are great.
>>
>>87468800
Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor
>>
>>87480268
>Read that as Grimlock
You almost caused a relapse.
>>
>>87480400
Grimlock smash?
>>
Its sad how you can't trust Bioware to make another NWN or Jade Empire.
The way NWNs online worked was so good. If they had taken the concept of the Aurora Engine into the modern era they could have made something in the vein of Talespire.
>>
File: aribeth.jpg (590 KB, 2048x1152)
590 KB
590 KB JPG
>>87480602
It's a shame how the NWN enhanced edition teased like 1 updated model and then literally never bothered with anything else. I would kill for the ability to update all the assets into that level of quality.
>>
>>87480821
>>87480602
>Almost totally true to source ruleset and character building ported well into a PC game, with turn based combat that doesn't feel like turn based combat.
>Decent story line spanning multiple expansions
>Ability to create and host own persistent worlds, probably the best online form of D&D

>Gets a sequel
>Could easily just update the graphics, do a new story and add some, for example, extra classes, races, spells, etc.
>Builds NWN2 with a completely different engine and art style for some reason
>It's ok I guess
>Bioware then proceeds to move away or dumb down the types of games that made them successful
>Caves in and is bought by EA
Sad times.

I hope Owlcat games keeps going. I wasn't a huge fan of the pathfinder games, as they didn't quite have the NWN vibe I wanted. I can see why Baldur's Gate and similar fans would love it.
If Owlcat don't survive, I don't see any other developer making the same sort of games.
It just doesn't pull in the numbers, sadly

Did /tg/ ever do a NWN server? Seems like it's right up our street
>>
>>87480821
What really sucks is the source code for Icewind Dale 2 is thought to be permanently lost, and Owlcat says that it's way too risky and cost-ineffective to try to reverse engineer it, so we'll never see an ID2:EE.
>>
>>87481441
Beamdog, I mean
Also isn't Owlcat Russian, and wouldn't that complicate any further releases?
>>
>>87481451
Fucking Ukrainians die already. Next one is Starfinder
>>
>>87481369
This might be a hot take but I genuinely prefer NWN2 for its party mechanics alone and the fact that you can make big fuck off parties and control them efficiently to tactically wreck ass across some pretty fun campaign modules. Storm of Zehir in particular. The art style doesn't really bother me. What bothers me is that they made the construction tools a lot more difficult so you had to have teams to make longer campaigns for it and we ended up with a lot less overall content. Something like a working version of NWN's infinite dungeons module for 2 would be a forever install and loving, heartfelt ritual for me because I love the palette-cleansing nature of roguelikes.
>>
>>87482382
To be fair, I think NWN2 was more popular in general. Party tactics were way better in 2.
But yeah, NWN1 had that customisability that meant people were playing it long, long after NWN2 came out.

I used to go on this hardcore roleplay server. It was brilliant, with regular adventures set up by the DMs.
Sadly I was a young teen at the time and my characters were probably kinda stupid. I'd love to be able to play that server again now I'm more of a mature roleplayer
>>
>>87483228
>>87482382
And to add, I liked being able to have one fully customisable character, a bit like the tabletop equivalent. I think that's why I love NWN more than the top-down and tactical games like Bladur's Gate, where I couldn't give a shit about the rest of the party.

Gave up on the Pathfinder games when members of the party started flirting with each other.
>>
>>87481451
They bailed on Russia because it is a backwards 3rd world shithole so they are insulated from all that fuckery now.
>>
>>87477087
The anime was fine imo
>>
>>87483228
I remember NWN2 wasn't played together anywhere near as much because the online was gutted by comparison. I dunno how popular it was in terms of single player.
Also I really liked the radial menus since I could quickly tap the numpad. The UI changes felt weird.
>>
>>87483245
Russia is not a shithole. You are froma shithole.
>>
>>87483464
>5 rubles have been deposited in your account
>>
>>87483501
We are a glorous empire and when we crush our enemies we will make you learn respct!
>>
>>87483452
The main campaign was 80% super generic shit and 20% awesome, though the first expansion had one of the best campaigns in any cRPG; it's a shame no one played it.

I have never seen a better handling of epic-level characters. Your character enters the Plane of Shadow, fights ancient spirits, comes into opposition with a powerful Red Wizard, and eventually challenges a god.

The second expansion was okay, again super generic, though it was a fun return to the sort of open-world low-level play that the OG Baldur's Gate had.
>>
>>87482382

It was commented by a lot of people at the time that NWN2's tool kit was much more powerful than NWN's but also much harder to use, leading to very few modules.
>>
>>87480602

And we aren't even getting an updated KOTOR, which means that all of our pie-in-the-sky dreams of an updated and actually finished KOTOR2 will never happen.
>>
>>87483548
Maybe instead of remake, remasters, and rereleases they will make new IP RPGs one day. I am joking. They won't.
>>
>>87483566
That would require paying writers instead of just having an AI upscale your textures and models.
>>
>>87483245
Shame nobody cares and a lot of people call out to boycott Owlcat's games.
Actually, no, not a shame at all. Fuck Owlcat. Russia or not, they just suck.
>>
>>87483573
This isn't even confined to just the avalanche of remakes. The sheer lengths that video game companies will go with procedural generation just to avoid paying an actual writer a fucking dime is incredible.
>>
>>87483593
Sob about it on social media, I guess.
>>
>>87483602
I'd probably do, if I could give any fuck bigger than an ocassional post on 4chan
>>
>>87481369
>>Bioware then proceeds to move away or dumb down the types of games that made them successful
I still remember seeing the unveiling of DA:O at some games conference. Don't think it was E3 but it might have been.
It didn't look exactly ground breaking or anything but it looked like a pretty cozy new fantasy IP and I was looking forward to it.

Then they got acquired by EA and the next time we got DA:O it was the Violence Trailer. That one trailer kind of soured me on BioWare from that point on. I didn't even try DA:O until some big sale probably a decade later. Never bothered with ME2. I can't really think of a BioWare game I've played sinced ME as a result. I don't doubt the games are probably okay but something about that flip turn was the moment I couldn't bother to get excited about anything BioWare related.
>>
File: 1674509331402584.png (646 KB, 852x798)
646 KB
646 KB PNG
>>87483593
>a lot of people call out to boycott Owlcat's games
Yeah, but the basement dwellers not pirating and not playing their produce makes no difference. It's the paying customers that keep company afloat and paying customers seem to like it well enough.
>>
>>87483593
>Fuck Owlcat. Russia or not, they just suck.
Elaborate?
>>
>>87483245
Didn't they just "move" to Cyprus by getting an office there and basically still do everything back in Russia? Which many russian companies did?
>>
>>87486396
They had official residence on Cyprus even before the whole Russian shitshow.
>>
File: 7a1e2c2d623d.png (2.23 MB, 1200x800)
2.23 MB
2.23 MB PNG
>>87468800
disco elysium is an interesting attempt at applying rpg mechanics to narrative progression outside of combat. it's not always successful but it's worth checking out if you're interested in game design

it's also clearly made by people who play and understand traditional role playing games and it has some very soulful references to it sprinkled throughout (and not in a cheap "look, it's the thing!" way)

yes, it's very political, to the point where I can't even tell if the writer's obsession with it is satirical or not, but it fits the setting and I also never felt preached to (and I am a "pathetic" centrist)
>>
>>87480602
>>87481369
>>87483228
NWN EE online community still going strong, especially zombie survivals.
Drop some of your character's names and let's see if anyone knows you.
There are a lot of the old heads still around. I have links to discord servers if people are interested.
>>
>>87481441
Some small team is making an IWD2 EE, but it looks shit. They are making a lot of changes, making some areas optional, making some NPCs recruitable e.g. Vrek Vileclaw.
No idea what the progress is, they haven't posted for some time. Some tranny calling themselves SemiticGoddess was running it so i dont have high hopes
>>
>>87468800
You should try RIFTS: PROMISE OF POWER.
It'll blow your socks off with its dragons, mecha, gargoyles, post-apoc wasteland, aliens, ultratech, wizard bullshit.

>https://youtu.be/iH9y5erEgas?https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9V9Uj8hh6U&list=PLT0Vf_mchC9N4RGTEH9fkC26d58HJafGt&index=1
>>
>>87491181
Coalition, fuck year!
>>
File: 021804shadowlords.jpg (17 KB, 300x164)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
>>87468800
As long as we're talking about NWN modules, I very much recommend the Shadowlords/Dreamcatcher/Demon series: https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/module/shadowlords-dreamcatcher-and-demon-campaigns
The beginning is VERY basic, but the modbuilder improves really quickly and the later parts do a lot of fucky stuff with the game.
There's a bit where you get to play with a sort of experimental squad control system, you get to ride a dragon in a top-down sequence, the last bit has a whole simplified MtG card system you can play in game...
I replayed it a couple of years ago, and it's almost better than I remembered.

The same guy headed a NWN2 mod called Dark Waters, as well: https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn2/module/dark-waters-full
I only played the first part, but It's got pirates, live sea navigation, more offbrand MtG, original sea shanties...
If I ever reinstall NWN2, I'm gonna finish it, and I'll be damned if I don't.
>>
>>87492340
Man, these games are the shit.
So much community made content.
I wonder how the online scene is doing. I never got into playing PWs in the first game, but I've spend my college years watching realms of Trinity grown NwN and it was great.
>>
>>87492463
I had such great memories of a PW called Magic Bubble I think.
There was a small camp or village near the starting area and probably over half my time on that server was spent just chilling by the campfire talking to other people.

There was another server that wasn't up often since it wasn't permanently hosted. But when it was up it was a scenario where the players got split into Good and Evil teams. Good's goal was to rescue the magic princess from a tower. Evil had to delay them long enough for the ritual to complete. Good had more players and all these quests and stuff to go out on to get gear and level up. Evil started off at higher levels and had ways to scry on certain areas to try and track down the Good team and interrupt or kill them. It was a lot of fun though it felt kind of imbalanced.
>>
File: Shandalar.jpg (498 KB, 1024x682)
498 KB
498 KB JPG
>>87468800
It's old, but check out the 1997 MTG computerization's Shandalar. It converts a kind of meta-MTG into an RPG, where you run around the map, doing quests and fighting monsters. Combat is handled by actually playing a game of Magic, often with a few bonuses or penalties. Winning (usually) nets you cards which you can use to build a stronger deck and thus head on to stronger opposition and eventually win the campaign by defeating the evil wizards threatening everything.

It's delightfully meta.
>>
>>87468800
Dungeon Hack was a lot of fun back in the day, so was Stronghold.

Is heroes of might wnd magic /tg/ enough? Every once in a while I go back to homm2. Get fheroes2 to go with it for some quality of life improvements.
>>
>>87469908
>HOMM3, no HOMM2
Wtf. HOMM2 is better

>>87469925
Its a game where charging ahead will generally get you killed, especially as a mage. He needs to slow down.

There's a mo to have multiple summons up at once. That could help.
>>
>>87492933
I feel like HoMM3 is a more robust game for where that counts but I've always preferred HoMM2 for its arguably better campaign and for this exact aesthetic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUqTyvquxYQ#t=16m40s
>>
>>87493000
Not him, but while I do like a lot of the things that Homm 3 does over 2, the creature banks utterly wreck the balance of the game, and often times the first person to break open a Serpent Fly Hive or a Griffin Conservatory simply wins with the high-tier troops they're rewarded with. Homm2 (IIRC, it's been AGES since I played) didn't have anything like that. Although I suppose jank with the ghosts could be just as bad if you managed to get any.
>>
>>87493055
Other than ghosts, the units you can get outside of a castle in 2e are weak or mid, unless you max out diplomacy and convince the enemies to join you.
>>
>>87469211
>Symphony of War

Got this one today, sunk 4 hours without noticing. Writing's definitely all over tge place.
>>
Surprised that nobody has mentioned Temple of Elemental Evil yet.
With the Temple+ and Circle of 8 mods its still an amazing game 20 years later.
>>
>>87492773
i wish this games source code could get released.
>>
>>87468800
Knights of the Chalice is pretty good if you want a modern take on the Gold Box games. Haven't tried 2 yet though.
>>
>>87481441
>risky
Risky how, exactly?
>>
>>87486396
IIRC they had an office in Cyprus a while ago for legal reasons, but relocated most of their staff there during the covid times.
>>
File: Spazz_tactics.jpg (29 KB, 350x283)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
>>87492933>>87469908
>>87492933
>HoMM3
>HOMM2 is better
Pleb tier chapters
HoMM 4 is the patrician choice
>>
What tg rpgs besides planescape have great stories?
>>
>>87495431
Mask of the Betrayer
>>
File: capsule_616x353.jpg (60 KB, 616x353)
60 KB
60 KB JPG
I enjoy the autism required for this.
It's a time management based role playing card game.
>>
>>87495455
Better than the OG module? I'm not having much fun with it currently, it's a fucking slog. Just started act 3. Is storms of zehir or whatever it's called any good too?
>>
>>87495510
>Is storms of zehir or whatever it's called any good too?
I don't know i didn't finish it
You were asking about the plot though not gameplay
Try mysteries of westgate
>>
>>87495632
Different Anon, but thanks, I'll give em a shot.
>>
The pathfinder games are the best crpgs ever made. Bg2 is a close second and Bg1 and 3 arenth that far behind it.
NWN1/2 is pretty mediocre imo. I like the expansion pack which you fight mephistopheles, but thats it. The main campaign is very silly.
Planescape Torment is great if you havent played it, but it is more of a interactive novel than a game. There's still plenty of gameplay, mind you, but its not very good and it usually involves you picking op spells and items to instakill enemies or backstabbing them into oblivion.
>>
>>87495483
I too have walked behind the Watchman. I've seen his shadow on the stone.

He is not merciful.
>>
>>87495510
>>87495664
Storm of Zehir is pretty fun. It has an overworld map and you can go from town to town and city to city trading things like furs, meta>>87495664
, leather, salt, etc, for a profit if youknow where to buy low and sell high.
The plot of the temple hidden deep in the forest is a little thin but its okay.
>>
>>87495715
What makes nwn1 good is all community made stuff. Its the fact that it comes with the development tools that makes it good.
>>
>>87468800
Of have history autism and patrician taste you'll love Kingdom Come Deliverance. Is it a perfect game? No far from it. Is it one of the most immersive roleplay videos games ever created? Yes It is.
>>
File: gauldoth.jpg (49 KB, 426x340)
49 KB
49 KB JPG
>>87495407
>HoMM 4 is the patrician choice
It had what is still easily THE best campaign out of the entire series.
>>
>>87495510
>Is storms of zehir or whatever it's called any good too?
In my opinion SoZ is just as good as MotB, although in completely different ways.

>no epic story, it's just about restoring regional commerce and adventuring
>no detailed companion characters, you get to make your own party and deal with random mercenaries along the way
>overworld, skill checks that actually matter and party members chiming in with their areas of expertise
>>
>>87483251
No.
>>
>>87495510
Storm of Zehir is excellent.
Basically turns the game into a pseudo-open world game with a BIG ass party (I think you get like 7 or 8 party members if you do it right, which is awesome) and you get to navigate across a fun little overworld map where your skill checks can do cool things like sneak around roaming monsters or spot checks reveal hidden caches of treasure or dungeons to explore. You get to make a lot of checks in conversations too which is a little generic but you get a lot of options, which I love.
Dungeons are a lot smaller but more compact and fleshed out so they're more interesting and less sloggy overall. The story dungeons are really, REALLY impressive.
The story is fairly generic but it has some goddamn amazing sets to it. There are a lot of smaller quests and the ending epiloguq for them changes depending on what you do.
Trading is a weird mechanic and at first it isn't interesting but it starts to pay out massive amounts of gold which you can use to train new party members and upgrade the castle base you get.
It's also a solid modular platform which setup the design in a way that the modders liked and someone used it to remake Icewind Dale, which I'm currently enjoying the hell out of.
>>
>>87496644
Nor should he be. It takes a great ego to unlatch and open the door. His burden is ours to wield.
>>
>>87479775
>ever so slightly pozzed
How so? How do you pozz dwarf fortress?
>>
>>87499842
Sometimes a dwarf is gay. I am surprised that is new to the game, it seems something that would added long time ago
>>
>>87499842
Apparently there's drama born of toadman allowing trans dorfs. It's honestly stupid as sin on both sides of the argument. This is the prime reason why so many people hate the new steam release.
It's just as cringe with how it got implemented as it is is the poltards obsessing over it. The whole shit show is a dumpster fire, but the bad kind that isn't even entertaining.
>>
>>87499981
there are no trans dorfs in df, only gay
>>
>>87500173
Ah. I've heard differentlt, but have never seen them, so I'm lead to believe you.
I still stand by my point though, that it's just as stupid to add them as it is getting upset over them.
>>
>>87497549
Gauldoth's might be the best, but my own favorite is Lysander's.
>>
>>87468800

Sadly there's a low bar of quality to /tg/ Vidya so ymmv but I'll keep it to the ones that decent support or can be bought in GoG

>CRPG

Wrath of the Righteous is actually fun; as long as you can tolerate Edgelord woke shit for a few hours. Then hack in the gold and buy mercenaries after the intro and telling all your DMNPC companions to royally fuck off (except regill).

Alternative is Tyranny which is short length but amusing to play through if you like being a bad guy.

Temple of elemental evil also rates well. Icewind Dale for mindless dungeon delving in ad&d or IWD 2 for 3.0 rules like NWN.

Knights of the Old Republic also features well if you want to stay in d20 mechanics.

Arcanum and Fallout are also final shouts.

>40k Games

Mechanicus is the best offering in recent years, followed by Battlefleet Gothic 2. A third option is Space Marine. I won't lie, the bar isn't very high on these and they get Grindy quick; but Mechanicus does punch above it's weight in audio alone.

Chaos Gate 1 is pretty fun once you understand it.

>Magic the Gathering

If you can stomach a bit of engineering Shandalar is by far the most underrated MtG game. You can do shit in arena if you want but you have been warned - it's rigged.

>Final Fantasy's

There's enough variation here to be honest that you an find something you can stomach. Tactics is a slow burner but fun, I personally rate FF VI as the best game and it's free with a rom and emulator.

>Zelda's

Same as FF's

>Point and Clicks

You can find shitloads of old school rpgs and /tg/ games on abandonware sites or old game sellers. ScummVM being a main way of doing it options include:

Simon the Sorcerer
Kings Quests
Day of the Tentacle
The Dig
Beneath A Steel Sky
Full Throttle

>Dungeon Crawlers

We all know its Diablo 1

>Anything else

Darkwood is a good grim dark setting, the cthulu games are hit and miss. I recommend Nocturne if you can get it working. Otherwise my final offering is Vagrant Story.
>>
Not really /tg/, but Outer Wilds (not Outer Worlds) is comfy as fuck until the existencial dread starts kicking in, and even then it's still comfy. Strong Ryuutama vibes at times.
It's about exploring a miniature solar system. Best played as blind as possible.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.