[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Additional supported file types are: PDF
  • Roll dice with "dice+numberdfaces" in the options field (without quotes).
  • There are 58 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor applications are now closed. Thank you to everyone who applied!

File: sap4.png (456 KB, 1003x750)
456 KB
456 KB PNG
Well, if you must ask GM, I find your setting rather derivative and nonverisimilous.
>>
Derivative is just wanker speak for "Not pointlessly obtuse and pretentious so I can stroke myself to how refined my tastes are," so thank you for the compliment.
>>
File: 1569555326575.png (140 KB, 681x262)
140 KB
140 KB PNG
>>
File: gigaDM.jpg (106 KB, 680x838)
106 KB
106 KB JPG
>>85545978
Sorry anon, I don't know either of those words. Anyway, as I was saying: the good king wants you to rescue his beautiful daughter from the evil dragon...
>>
>>85545978
And you also found those words yesterday.
>>
File: FQ0xdFrXsAAQutu.jpg (35 KB, 507x676)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
>>85545978
>Well, if you must ask GM, I find your setting rather derivative and nonverisimilous.
Find a new game then lmao
>>
>>85546129
I know you area shitposting but doing old story book stuff like that without any twists would be refreshing.
>>
>>85545978
RPGs are a derivative medium rooted in homage, nostalgia, and emulation.
>>
>>85545978
You spelled inverosímiles wrong
>>
It's not derivative it's the setting that derivative settings get derived from
>>
>>85546573
Damn, I was gonna use Pangea Proxima for my setting...
>>
>>85546129
God I love sometimes having that. Played a Dark Age inquisitor game recently where we had no morally grey bits and instead it was just us being righteous crusaders protecting fearful villagers from feral monsters and it made me wonder why WoD didn't sometimes just let you be the good guys with no dubious matters in the background
>>
>>85546068
Ironically uses a picture of what's basically a mechanical Polynesian hobbit
>>
>>85545978
The Chad DM never asks for your stupid opinion. You are welcome to cast your vote by dropping out of the game, there are always replacements for your whiny ass.
>>
File: a3e[1].jpg (24 KB, 600x450)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
I did not care about 3.5
>>
>>85545978
It's nonversimilitudinous. Versimilous is what a child or retard would say.
>>
>>85547904
Anon, you won’t care for much of anything soon. Use what little time you have left to reflect on your transgressions against peak gaming.
>>
>>85548438
Maybe as a video game with dice sure, but as a ROLEPLAYING GAME it fails at every step.
>>
>>85546758
biomechanical*

but yes. I think Lego even got sued by Polynesian groups for using their language, and had to change the name from Tohunga to Matoran
>>
>>85546573
How how could mountains conceivably get on a super-continent, have there been any estimations?
>>
>>85545978
>nonverisimilous
inverosimiles*
>>
>>85548697
They did indeed.

I'd do terrible things for a Bionicle skirmish game.
>>
>>85545978
It's inverosimile you nonce. Also, realism is overrated. I don't want realism. If I wanted that I'd pay attention to reality or watch an actual documentary, not those history channel docudramas or fake reenactment that are about as real as your sex life.
>>
very funny for half of the responses to a peter griffin shitposter to be correcting their word choice and the other half to be seriously arguing their point
>>
File: Screenshot (349).png (792 KB, 835x738)
792 KB
792 KB PNG
>>85545978
Sorry Anon, I'll gladly muddle down the flavor of my fantasy creatures, like Tieflings to "horned humans" and hags to "magical old ladies" to avoid coming off as anything remotely obtuse and setting a bad precedent for you.
>>
>>85549158
It's obviously versimiliniggatude
>>
>>85549241
Does that guy make any good points? I tried watching a video of his but he spouts too many loosely associated zoomer humor memes in a minute where it just pisses me off.
>>
>>85549503
he is a pretty decent artist and does try to add variety to parts of DnD that are left lacking, but other than that he just does the typical performative shtick that other DnDtubers do where he brings up how racism is bad and how "X creates a bad precedent" despite how the statblocks are just generalizations rather than a hard rule.
>>
File: 1655398162236.jpg (25 KB, 418x418)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
>>85549605
>where he brings up how racism is bad and how "X creates a bad precedent"
Why am I not shocked.
>>
>>85546648
Whenever your fighting the Baali you are the good guys.
>>
>>85546068
To be fair, you basically find approximations of those things all through out the world and most people would just identify them as such even if you called them something different.
>>
>>85545978
This >>85546059
Originality is the single most overrated aspect of almost anything.
>>
>>85546129
Ok but where is the dragon?
>>
>>85546648
you can be unambiguous good guys in wod. many tables devolve into that, and with the amount of whitewashing across rpgs these days most game lines seem to encourage it, even when morally ambiguous is obviously the best choice
>>
>>85545978
That’s a shame. I would understand if you didn’t want to play anymore.
>>
>>85550311
Originality is the single most overrated aspect of almost anything.
>>
>Hitting people on the head knocks them out instead of just giving them a concussion or killing them
>People get taller/stronger based less on genetics and more on how much they fight, train, and encapsulate the spirit of the warrior
>In the same vein, people can become incredibly strong and healthy even from diets that IRL would kill you or make you very sick (ie; nothing but rabbit hearts and fresh mountain air)
>Diseases are spread through miasma released by bad smelling things; good smelling things can cancel this out
>Damage taken from cold spells/magic can be cured by sitting by a fire, drinking alcohol, or spicy food as it "warms you up"
>People who die in painful or unfulfilling ways can become unquiet dead- no "raise dead" spell needs to be cast
>Magic is not a separate "layer" that intersects with the laws of physics that we understand IRL; ie no antimagic field but you can repel some magic attacks with a circle of salt and so on
>Almost all annoying pests (rats, flies, gremlins, etc.) appear via autogenesis
>People who get really good at a skill (blacksmiths, masons, etc.) can do impossible things (forge magic swords, make seemless secret passages, etc.) simply from being "really good" at their skill, no magic skills or powers are needed to explain it
>The universe is actually made of the 4 elements down at its smallest levels
>All the ingredients for gunpowder exist in the world but don't combust if put together, there's just no guns with no explanation
>Cave biomes are lush- huge monsters have impossible caloric requirements
>Illogical and anachronistic tech levels. Orcs live in savage nomadic tribes but can field warriors with plate armor
>Elves primarily use bows despite being physically weaker then humans
>If someone breaks a promise they always end up paying the price for it; no God, spirit, or magic spells enforce this it just happens
>True love can actually break a curse no matter how strong it is

Yep, it's worldbuilding time.
>>
>>85545978
I find this thread shallow and pedantic
>>
>>85545978
It's okay anon, I'm fully aware it is. Now let's go get wasted in Pictigard
>>
>>85549605
I swear these people are secretly racist who are doing a big Psyop.
>>
>>85550997
this
>>
>>85551067
>All the ingredients for gunpowder exist in the world but don't combust if put together, there's just no guns with no explanation
This is the good shit.
>>
>>85545978
>and nonverisimilous
Yeah, no shit. I want to have fun and make you guys fight dragons and jello cubes. If you want to pretend to be a "knight" and slog though mud only to get stuck and have a bunch of pesants trudge up to you and stab you between the plates in your armor while you can do nothing about it, fucking go for it.
>>
>>85546129
Absolutely wonderful.
>>
>>85546450
That's the Spanish plural, it's not English.
>>85547956
It might be nonverisimilitudinous, but doubtful - what you've said is a spelling error for what you intended and you couldn't even spell op's weird non-word either.
>>85548767
That's the misspelled Spanish plural.
>>85548943
That's Italian, not English.
No idea what the opposite should be in terms of what you have all intended, but maybe just use unbelievable - just a thought. Inverisimilar is a possibility that would actually be an English word, but it looks to be easier to find in books on literature than in a dictionary. Must be in the oed though.
Shit thread though and I'm with >>85550311
>>
>>85548748
super continent doesn't mean there are no tectonic plates
>>
>>85548748
...Uh....
They'd presumably have been formed when the tectonic plates were moving into each other to form the super continent. You know, how mountain ranges generally work IRL.
As for any Estimations.... I used to drive through the Appalachians on family trips to visit my grandparents in the carolinas. Those mountains were around since the Pangea days IIRC.
>>
>>85546400
It can still be refreshing with twists as long as they're not le wacky subversions. For example, finding out the dragon has a "true form" that's even more fearsome than his usual one is a twist, just not a super out-there one.
>>
>>85545978
>nonverisimilous.
Of course it is it is an escapist RPG. If you did not want that why don't you just go to your local budget grocery and stand there enjoying how real it is
>>
>>85551067
>Illogical and anachronistic tech levels. Orcs live in savage nomadic tribes but can field warriors with plate armor

I'd still have them be wearing leather, wool and course silk. I think it looks better.
>>
>>85554093
The leaders can wear plate armor. It's already a massive status symbol for societies that make it, imagine how big a status symbol it'd be for a society where the the most feasible way to get it is to take it from someone else that was using it.
>>
File: latest[1].png (2.08 MB, 1024x1407)
2.08 MB
2.08 MB PNG
>>85551067
>>Hitting people on the head knocks them out instead of just giving them a concussion or killing them
>>People get taller/stronger based less on genetics and more on how much they fight, train, and encapsulate the spirit of the warrior
>>In the same vein, people can become incredibly strong and healthy even from diets that IRL would kill you or make you very sick (ie; nothing but rabbit hearts and fresh mountain air)
>>Damage taken from cold spells/magic can be cured by sitting by a fire, drinking alcohol, or spicy food as it "warms you up"
>>People who get really good at a skill (blacksmiths, masons, etc.) can do impossible things (forge magic swords, make seemless secret passages, etc.) simply from being "really good" at their skill, no magic skills or powers are needed to explain it
>>Cave biomes are lush- huge monsters have impossible caloric requirements
>>Illogical and anachronistic tech levels. Orcs live in savage nomadic tribes but can field warriors with plate armor
>>
>>85551067
>>85546129
This is pretty near perfect.
>>
>>85551067
>True love can actually break a curse no matter how strong it is
Supremely based
>>
>>85549605
>>85549503
Who is he?
>>
>>85558752
Pointy Hat
>>
File: zr4kr9hexsm31.jpg (120 KB, 672x960)
120 KB
120 KB JPG
>>85549605
Seems like someone that'd also hand out "X Cards", do a survey of triggers before the game starts, and insist everyone greet each other the first time by stating, "Hi, I'm so and so, these are my pronouns."

I swear to God, people are so egotistical, demanding that others conform to their comforts. Why are so many people lauding others for being politically correct, hyper sensitive, and white knighting for other cultures that honestly would rather white people shut the fuck up about them? Like orcs being an allegory for black people?

That's awful, oh noes, a fictional r*ce has monstrous, tribal qualities, and that somehow makes them black people. But no one else came to that conclusion, you did. Their virtue signaling really comes across as closeted racism, among other things. Because remember, if you make a monsterous race of albino colonists, it's a sharp, witty, and brave critique of evil white people. Double standards are cool.

Normal goddamn people can just run the game without shame. If a player has issues, they can discuss them during or after the game like an adult. And if people are so fragile that they are trigger by benal things like the description of a corpse, then they need to learn how to process their issues and show up to the table when they have their shit sorted out. Seriously, I'm tired of people using the table as a safe space, and I'm tired of them using it as therapy.

I want to run games that explore difficult themes, like the difficulties of being good in a world dominated by gray or doing the right thing even if it costs you. I want to explore flawed characters that overcome their flaws, not wallow in them. I want to explore the harsh realities of waging war and the perversion of glory. I want that, because it makes truly noble individuals in the setting to really stand out because they're so rare. But instead, people would rather have kiddie gloves on and avoid difficult topics all together.
>>
>>85551067
This is how my setting works, everyone can change the world by power of vibes alone
Also
>rust sprinkled on food has a similar effect to eating iron-rich foods like spinach and can make warriors stronger/cure anemia
>it also tastes somewhere between blood and garlic powder
>>
>>85551067
Magic stuff aside, you basically just described the Baki universe.
>>
>>85551067
This is how to worldbuild. Pay attention rational fags.
>>
File: rorfret5xhd91.jpg (343 KB, 1080x1625)
343 KB
343 KB JPG
>>85561769
No? This is a loose collection of anime tropes. I'll keep my grounded fantasy, thanks. It makes the more fantastical elements of the setting more fantastical. Less is more, as they say.
>>
>>85560063
Only thing we can do anon is just try to form like-minded groups, and quickly kick people who try to dominate the game with political showboating. Nowadays people should prioritize personable attitudes over political affiliation, seems lots of people think that only the tactful exist on their side of the spectrum when really they exist all over, they just don't slap their dicks on the table and instead let others have fun unlike those who have been conditioned by the internet meme machine to 180 the mood whenever something they don't agree with pops up.
>>
>>85546129
A perfect campaign. And no, the dragon isnt really good and the king and daughter are not secretly evil.
>>
>>85545978
HA! Gotcha! You came here tonight to play a game in which your expectations where constantly subverted, not realising that this campaign will be completely derivative and nonverisimilous ON PURPOSE! How about that for subverting your expectations! (Player is so surprised at being subverted so much, he implodes and vanishes up his own arse)
>>
>>85561889
>guy describes things mostly found in European fairytales and folklore.
>"anime tropes"
fuck off, animefag
>>
>>85561889
>>85564684
Anti-anime fags are really fucking annoying because at least the hardcore weebs actually enjoy something.
All of the anime hate posts I see are just banal seething about the existence of cartoons and tropes that they don't like.
>>
>>85564898
>seething about tropes that they don't like.
Well, the tropes are very pervasive and not very good.
>>
>>85564938
Pervasive to what anime?
If you don't like anime you don't have to watch it and complaining about anime on 4chan is just retarded.
>muh non-anime boards
This is just pure cope.

And if you really wanna have a meaningful dialogue about tropes and why they're bad or good you need a stronger criticism than "I don't like thing" because that's meaningless and doesn't actually make a discussion.

This is all without going into the fact that many of the "anime" tropes originate from genre fiction or just straight up mythological stories, but that's a whole different argument entirely.
>>
>>85545978
Listen you little shit dont try to speak as if you're even nearly as articulate as I am and as fluent in the more advanced forms of the English vocabulary. We both know your fat ass didnt pass high school and the only reason you're even in this party is because your mom was worried about you not getting any in person interaction and begged me to let you join. Now shut the fuck and stop being the same autistic retard that made everyone in your school hate you or go back to your tard containment chamber in mommas house.
>>
>>85565104
I fucked your mom and she thanked me for giving her a son that isn't a colossal disappointment.
>>
>>85560063
>harm to children red
>sexual assault red
>everything else green
>>
>>85569514
>red
I firmly believe that explicit sex is damaging to any community RPG and that, in fantasy role playing, the inclusion of real life religion and social issues is just asking for trouble

>yellow
I personally am uncomfortable with male players getting romantic with a character in playing for anything other than comical reasons and under all circumstances keep it veiled, ditto for pregnancy and also cancer both of which I don't think the explicit examination of add anything to role playing games although they're fine when they're veiled, as subtext to an adventure.
>>
>>85564503
hah, nice one
>>
>>85564684
Ah, yeah for sure. Point out where there's the "spirit of the warrior." I'll wait.
>>85564898
>Believability and grounded fantasy scare me because I can't be bothered to learn or care about anything beyond its superficial qualities and traits

Its okay, not everyone has access to the adhd meds they need to care about anything other than the shallow and flashy garbage anime churns out. Turns out people that have the patience, taste, restraint to appreciate something with a little nuance are better than you. Sorry.
>>
>>85570747
Read Parcival, or really any 16th century knightly adventure novel.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.