[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: dwarf herbalist.jpg (615 KB, 1920x2688)
615 KB
615 KB JPG
I'm a serial 5e player looking for a new system to play my game in. I'm thinking pathfinder 1E however I would love to hear any other suggestions.
my game world is fantasy with a big emphasis on Progress vs Tradition
>>
Pathfinder 2e is probably an easier jump if you've primarily played 5e.

I personally prefer 1e but it's going to be confusing coming from DnD5e. There are a lot more trap options and it actually requires a level of system mastery to make an optimized character.

That said, if you are set on 1e I recommend going in with some class restrictions. Look up the 3.5/Pf1e tier lists on gitp and minmax boards and have all the players only pick from tier 3 and below. I've had much more fun in games limited like this than I've had in games where I've got to compete with an optimized wizard or CoDzilla.
>>
File: p6o1au0oe4rx-2455361487.jpg (467 KB, 1500x2230)
467 KB
467 KB JPG
>>85538353
why not try something besides d20 class and level?
Openquest 3e just came out, simple but deep (contrasted with d20's complex but shallow) d100 roll-under classless skill-based system is tits.
>>
>>85538598
Not op but, what's openquest?
>>
>>85538353
The answer is always Savage Worlds, even as much as I love Pathfinder.
>>
File: 4e_Players_Handbook.jpg (241 KB, 400x550)
241 KB
241 KB JPG
Have you tried playing 4e?
>>
>>85538598
I second d100. Give a d100 system a chance. Runequest, BRP, Mythras, WFRP, any of those are pretty good.
>>
File: dtd.png (1.63 MB, 779x1053)
1.63 MB
1.63 MB PNG
>>85538353
>>
>>85538659
a BRP variant, stripped-down and easy to play.
https://youtu.be/0b9a7vVND4Q
>>
File: pathfinder-2e.jpg (190 KB, 983x1200)
190 KB
190 KB JPG
>>85538691

Have you tried playing Pathfinder 2e?
>>
>>85538353
i changed from being stuck dming 5e to dming 3e. i much prefer it and i imagine pathfinder 1e is much the same.
>>
File: leperbro.jpg (108 KB, 671x588)
108 KB
108 KB JPG
>>85538787
I played 2e a while back not overly wowed by it
>>85538598
I tried COC d100 roll under system and liked for that game as that game is less combat oriented
>>85538440
I think I'll stick to PF 1E and be careful about what I allow thanks for the advice
>>
>>85538701
I really dig the art. Sell me on the sys-
>ducks
GODDAMNIT.
>>
>>85538353
Stay in your containment game normie
>>
>>85539432
I know, but ducklads are easy to remove. I don't know why Newt decided to put one on the cover.
>>
>>85538353
Changeling, do it coward.
>>
Requisite template GURPS post.
>>
>>85538353
Playing D&D instead of D&D is not going to help your D&D fatigue.
>>
>>85538353
>I am tired of playing oversimplified 3rd edition
>I know, I will play revised and extended 3rd edition instead!
>>
>>85538353
Pathfinder 1e is a good game. Definitely include Path of War and the psionics books from Dreamscarred Press. They're 3rd party but well balanced and provide a lot of options that help even up the martial/caster power gap that exists in 3.5e/pf1e.

For someone coming from 5e I'd say that they flexibility of the system will be what you notice the most. There's a lot more options for both GMs and players. PF is also much better when it comes to non-combat activities and designing creative encounters.
The downside is the breadth of options available which can make balance difficult, both balancing appropriate encounters for the party and maintaining balance within the party. Don't be afraid to use GM fiat or to restrict options if you're having trouble in either of these areas.

Alternatively you could go for something completely different like WFRP or Runequest but they're not going to mesh as well if you want to integrate your pre-existing setting.
>>
>>85538353
I feel dumb for not buying PF1e during the 10 years it was available. I guess I didn't assume they were going to trash an entire system that served an actual purpose, declare race a dirty word, then launch an assault on a crowded market. At least I still have my 3.5 stuff.
>>
>>85538598
Classless systems are top tier.
>>
>>85538353
5e is the only tabletop RPG worth playing.
>>
>>85542776
Obvious falseflag.
>>
>>85538353
You should check out ACKS. Very little crunch, moves fast, and is great if you want to get together with your bros, kick in teeth and get loot.
>>
>>85542776
Ironic shitposting is still shitposting.
>>
>>85540438
>Changeling
The lost or the dreaming?
>>
>>85538353
Check out SW2.0. Its a japanese TRPG with a focus on multi classing backed into its core mechanics. Easier to learn than 5e, you just need one book to start playing, but there are so many supplements that you can really heap on the complexity.
The fan translation effort has been going steady for a while, and the translation is really really good.
My group broke our dnd curse with it, and now it's one of our favorite games.
It has its own setting, but its not like you can't easily homebrew. In it, humanoid races (humans, elves, dwarves, etc.) have been pushed to the brink by beast folk in an apocalyptic war. Civilization crumbled, and the world was thrown from an age of magitech back to the dark ages. Now, 300 years later, civilization is rebuilding and technology is slowly being rediscovered and reclaimed.
Regardless if the setting sounds interesting, you should check out Sword World 2.0.
As cringe as reddit is, the sword world 2.0 reddit is your one stop shop for getting into sword world.
Godspeed and fuck dnd.
>>
>>85538353
>Wants to leave 5e
>Wants to do PF
Holy shit. I though the D&D brain thing was a meme. Here's a few suggestions.
Cyberpunk. Has fantasy, has science.
Too ScyFy? Try. Fantasy/Dragon Age. Fantasy, easy system, Fantasy Age has science and technology so you can do that. And the level of technology is easily adjustable.
OK. Maybe not for you. Try Fate of the Norns: Ragnarok. More Viking themed but you can certainly do it elsewhere. We have. Just reskinning required.
OK. So maybe you hate the system. I understand. The rune system can be quite annoying. Genesys (the one FFG SW and L5R use). It can support practically anything.
OK. But maybe you don't want to do all that work and you hate that system. Understandable. Numenera. Easy system, can be reskinned so that the same effect is magic in this case and science in that case.
OK. Again, maybe too ScyFy. Maybe you'd prefer not to have spells be oneshots you find in the wild. Pendragon. Fantasy, magic, knights, traditions, code of conduct.
But maybe you don't want to keep track of family lines and play a generational game. GoT. Same thing but easier to follow.
Maybe you hate politics? Ryuutama. A bit more exploration heavy to be fair and not a lot of combat. But exploration and travel can be just as deadly.
So maybe that's not your cup of tea. You want to do more combat. You don't like the Ryuujin. Tenra Bansho Zero. A dice pool system, easy to learn, supports literally anything.
Maybe too anime for you. And it is extremely easy to minmax. MAID. People have been reskinning this for everything since forever.
Maybe you don't want to do be so rules light. Seeker. It focuses on philosophy that grants magic. The modern setting is a suggestion. Or the Tibet RPG. Same concept. Traditional Tibet VS invading Chins. Magic is there as well. But the system is so crunchy.
I'll defend D&D and clones. They're good. But if you want to step away from D&D get away from d20 RPGs. Do something different.
>>
>>85542768
The schizo-posting on this board is getting out of hand
>>
>>85543371
Where's the lie

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.