[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Additional supported file types are: PDF
  • Roll dice with "dice+numberdfaces" in the options field (without quotes).
  • There are 50 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor applications are now closed. Thank you to everyone who applied!

File: Evil Moon.png (176 KB, 515x407)
176 KB
176 KB PNG
Hey /tg/

I run a 5e (I know) campaign, for four players. They have, in the last few sessions, been very "fish-out-of-water", as they've accidentally fallen into a land that was "cut off" from the home plane, to curtail an invasion and infection all in one, years ago.

The land is totally ravaged by infection, but they were surprised to find some hardy survivors who travel the land, just barely holding on. They have been travelling with a ranger-type, who seems to them to be slightly insane, but very capable at fighting and surviving in this blighted place, but even he has given them the absolute prime rule that they absolutely mustn't break- don't go out at night.

To get around this, he stays in churches, under ancient holy statues, in seemingly unaffected homesteads, and other "safe-havens" every night, and will only travel if he knows he can make it to one within a day. It is not clear to the players if he even knows what happens at night, or if he just knows that he's never gone out at night and has still survived, but they are treating his advice as sage.

They have since discovered that the source of much of the woes here (at least to do with the creeping madness, not necessarily any of the other maladies) is because of a "false moon" in the night sky, that has either eaten the true moon, or simply covers it.

There has been some pretty horrible shit that has come upon the party, by-day (corpses dragging themselves around, attacks by enraged people totally subsumed by sickness and madness, shambling mounds of pests that wear mortal's skins in a (doomed) attempt to blend in and who will attempt to kill you if you don't keep up with their charade), but I need that whatever happens to those out at night to pale in comparison to these encounters, in both their madness and survivability.

The rub is, is that (for reasons I won't specify in case any of my players are watching), the false moon radiates terrible "eldritch" energies (cont.).
>>
>>85534268

(cont.) These energies are the progenitor for the madness that consumes most of the population, but I want the truly horrible shit to come out at night, under its gaze. This is where I reach out to you-

What are some horrible, "cosmic-horror"-esque encounters that could befall the characters at night. I want things that try to lure you from your safe spaces, the true power of entities that have given into the moon's madness and let it fuel them, whatever! I just need your spookiest "eldritch" shit, to throw at them, on their travels.
>>
File: Evil Moon_2.png (119 KB, 414x332)
119 KB
119 KB PNG
>>85534284
Forgot my other creepy moon image, but can't imagine it matters much- as an addition though, it's worth pointing out that I don't know if I want many, if any of these to be strictly "combat encounters". There's plenty of shit for them to fight in the day, and I want it fairly clear that whatever comes out at night is not be fought but to be hidden from, you know?
>>
>>85534268
>I know
No you don't.
>>
>>85535561
What do you mean by that?
>>
>>85536297
You posted a thread for your inane bullshit instead of going to the 5e General or any of the millions of other places on the internet that circlejerk about D&D 5e.
If you knew, this thread wouldn't be here.
>>
>>85536322
Who exactly pissed in your chips?

I've got a query to do with the traditional game I play on a board that is shitted up by nought but generals and "ELF SLAVE WAT DO?" threads; sorry for ejecting your coombait, but I just thought I'd put a question about gaming to the gaming board.
>>
>>85536421
You posted a thread for your inane bullshit instead of going to the 5e General or any of the millions of other places on the internet that circlejerk about D&D 5e.
If you knew, this thread wouldn't be here.
Also
• The existence of shit threads doesn't justify the existence of shit threads.
• There are lots of other games that aren't D&D.
• Making assumptions because you can't handle facts is pathetic.
• Kill yourself.
>>
>>85536488
I posted a question about a campaign I run, and queries about stories within it, something I've been doing here since you were still in grade school.

You're, quite clearly, a nogame faggot.
>>
>>85536584
Oh no, the mean internet boy told me to kill myself :((((((
Go find a game, then you can post here.
>>
>>85536615
>he has to continue to deflect and assume because he can't handle the facts
Typical 5mind faggot.
You continue to demonstrate that, despite saying "(I know)", you actually don't know.
You continue to demonstrate the lack of understanding that whataboutism isn't justification.
You continue to demonstrate the lack of understanding that this board is for traditional games, which covers card games, board games, and other tabletop games; not just D&D and 40k.
You continue to demonstrate your inability to handle these facts by deflecting and making childish assumptions in spite of your claim of maturity.
You're a waste of space and resources, and the world would be even just a slightly better place if you died, so just die.
>>
>>85536676
Uh oh, he's still mad. Better post more shit I'm not reading.
>>
>>85534313
>>85534284
>>85534268

Cool shit, man. Reminds me of them VHS horror things that are getting popular lately.

Anyway, cant help you. I never found a way to subtly warn players about threats above their pay grade. My players often in fact would run from threats I thought they could handle and chased threats that often didnt even exist.
>>
my best advice would be to not be subtle about night if you are already ramping up the day

If night is deadly then MAKE it deadly, let the guide or some other npc be mangled to an unrecognizable bloody pulpstain on the floor just for warning and kill any pc that goes out at night with the body of the moonbeing trying to invade the body of the character without save. then explain how a humongous thing that can cover the moon cannot feasibly fit inside that puny body making it explode or some shit
or make them become infected the longer they stay outside to ramp up your corruption plotline. but probably with an exposure requirement (eg. after every 30 min they take a d4 permanent penalty to wis, if wis reaches 0 they mutate and become enemy horror abomination and the rest of the charas have to fight it)
>>
Got bad news for you OP, it's time to kill yourself.
>>
File: Darkwood_cover.jpg (28 KB, 280x373)
28 KB
28 KB JPG
>>85534284
check out the game "Darkwood" for inspiration, its a fantastic and very spooky game. in particular the night encounters would be good for you to check out
>>
They're rising from the depths of the earth's core every night rather than descending from the sky every full moon, but the demons here probably count.
>>
>>85534268
The 5e general likely has more detailed advice to offer than making an independent thread.
>>
>>85534268
I frown on trying to run spooky stuff in 5e, but you seem earnest and it's working for your game, so I won't dwell on it.
One of my favourite ways to drive home that something is truly not of this world is to literally have it play by different rules. Whatever the spook is, have it just not use the same rules as the players or other monsters. It might roll different dice or have players roll different dice. Instead of hitting AC it might hit Cha, it's spells affect AC. It occupies spaces you can't hit but can hit from places it's not occupying. It gets more or less actions depending on some hidden function the players can't see. It's playing by an alien set of rules, and defeating it might require figuring out what those rules are.
The important thing to remember is to make these rules up beforehand and stick with them. They aren't random they are just different. Every different spook can have different rules even, but they MUST be consistent.
>>
>>85536488
>>85536584
>>85536676
>>85537818
>>85539286
And the 50 "in your setting, stat X, how does y fare in z?'' threads are FAR more worthy, especially when it's the third time they've been posted this month. I don't care if you hate 5e. I don't like it either. But the OP put FAR more effort into the post than you'll see in the next twenty threads. That alone makes this worthy of a response.

>>85534268
>>85534284
Skin thief. Kills it's victim, then wears it's skin in order to lure out more victims. Likes shiny trinkets. Which not too bright, is rather cunning. Knows the languages of the skin it is wearing.

House hunters. Large mimic variants. Will impersonate a town (the largest will be able to use a few simple illusions to mimic lights and muffled sounds). Once the party moves twoards the "inn/temple/govement building, the rest will slowly move that way and 'surround' them. Once the trap is sprung, they will attempt to grab the unfortunate souls with their sticky tendrils and pull them inside to devour them. The rough ground and lack of other tracks may give insight that something isn't right, but who's going to notice that in the dark?
>>
>>85541489
>"heh, see how there's awful threads on this board? That means when I spam utter dogshit outside of my containment thread or the 6 gorrillion websites that cater specifically to me I am right and it is good. Bet you feel pretty dumb now, huh chud?"
>>
File: 1659049914865933.jpg (139 KB, 914x1280)
139 KB
139 KB JPG
>>
>>85534268
>>85534284
>>85534313
Take a look to Channel 58 analog horror series like >>85537073 and you can shamelessly steal the lore

>The Moon isn't some dead rock in the Space, it's actually alive
>If you try and look closely, you can see the Moon-dust moving like it's breathing and the craters have tentacle-like skin
>The Moon itself was replaced
>The Moon it's His throne which was abandoned, and The Stars are just watching for His Return
>Don't look outside when it's full Moon

Maybe if you go for that, the Moon got alive and has power by himself because of His Lord, a greater comics being that His mere presence back then and passively gave life to the Moon.

Or just make it deadly like >>85537550 said. Not just enemies or instadeath to the characters if they go outside, but some weird shit that could lure the PCs outside might work. You could even left some "evidence" about things that could have happened in the night, like body pieces of eldritch monsters, physic-breaking ruins, some wild madness inducing creature, things like that
>>
>>85534313
>Forgot my other creepy moon image, but can't imagine it matters much- as an addition though, it's worth pointing out that I don't know if I want many, if any of these to be strictly "combat encounters". There's plenty of shit for them to fight in the day, and I want it fairly clear that whatever comes out at night is not be fought but to be hidden from, you know?
I think you're onto the right idea here.
You've described some pretty creepy encounters they've had during the day and I feel like just ramping up the creep factor isn't going to adequately represent the dramatic shift between day/night - you don't want it to feel like "more of the same, just worse". You want things to be/feel different on a fundamental level. Unfortunately I can't think of anything to suggest that would live up to the hype.

Maybe try separating the party completely? If they're caught out at night then maybe throw each individual player into their own mirror dimension. There's a few different ways you could do this but the important thing is that they're alone and isolated from one another. Suddenly losing the support of the rest of the party and being forced to act independently changes one of the central conceits of the game, and does so in a way that will make things much harder for them.
>Maybe these mirror dimensions are the same for each party member (just lacking the rest of the party)
>Maybe they initially appear the same but then they realise there are subtle differences
>Maybe they're completely different and tailored to each character
Separating the characters also allows you to inject some suspicion into the party when they're reunited - how do the characters and/or players know the characters they're reunited with at dawn are the same ones they left behind at dusk? Drop some subtle clues in-game or IRL that things might not be what they seem and you could add a really compelling element to the campaign. A new threat that they can't just defeat by rolling dice
>>
>>85537550
>If night is deadly then MAKE it deadly ... kill any pc that goes out at night with the body of the moonbeing trying to invade the body of the character without save. then explain how a humongous thing that can cover the moon cannot feasibly fit inside that puny body making it explode or some shit
>or make them become infected the longer they stay outside to ramp up your corruption plotline. but probably with an exposure requirement
I like both of these.

If you feel like insta-death is too final for you campaign (although I like it purely because sudden death with no save is such a dramatic contrast to spells/poisons/combat damage/pretty much every other form of injury in 5e) then you could go for the first option, describe the agonising pain and visceral horror of some giant being (or an endless horde of smaller beings) forcing its/their way into your body from the inside before they either explode or pass out ... and then have them wake up, reappear the next morning or knock on the door to the shelter perfectly healthy, as if nothing happened.
Then start dropping clues that something isn't right. These clues can be aimed at the player of that character (a secret note to the player that they start seeing a shadow moving around within their eye or they can feel something scuttling underneath their skin), aimed at the rest of the party (a secret note to one of the other players that they see the infected/possessed character doing something suspicious at night, ideally something that doesn't leave any evidence so neither the infected player nor the rest of the party know whether it actually happened) or both (next time the character rolls poorly in combat they "accidentally" shoot their teammate in the back or the next time they're on watch overnight the party's supplies are mysteriously ruined).

>>85537818
>>85536676
>>85536584
Fuck off. Generals have been a disaster for /tg/
>>
>>85541557
Cringe. You're embarassing yourself, whoever you are.

>>85534268
OP, I think a good idea is to ramp it up over time, whatever you do. Make night start off simple enough to survive so your players might have a little leeway to haul ass to a church, but make it rapidly ramp up, and clearly. Dont show your whole hand right away. Also don't throw souped up versions of the daytime encounters at them unless they are sufficiently different. Making your players nervous is the first step to horror.
>>
Is this what /tg/ has been reduced to? First responses are immediately hostile to any attempts of creativity?

>>85534268
Right now, as I see it, your night relies on the good old fear of the unknown, which is good. You need to ramp things up, but preserve the mystery. If you just reveal that this or that work in such and such way, it would detract fro the experience.
I'd go into some WTF is going on surreal shit. For example:
>Some place/path looks totally different or only exist during the day.
>Some friendly NPC/neutral thing/animal is revealed to be a horrible monster under the moonlight, but does not seem to realize this. Option 1: it doesn't know, Option 2: it's an illusion wrought by madness.
>Same can be done with objects, or the party's gear: when your sword is revealed to be a centipede-like protrusion coming from your hand, what do you do? It's useful, though, works better. Ignore the strange sensation.
>Sometimes, direct is best. There is a powerful and scary fucking monster prowling around. You can fight it with the extreme difficulty, or run. After the players become familiar with it, they can find it brutally dismembered by an unknown means. Bonus points it they hear brief and pathetic struggle. More bonus points if it kills itself.
>Rule-dependent effects like mental conditions will not work as good as mindfucking the players.
>Some ground rules are good. For example, direct moonlight makes things worse: enemies are stronger, PCs are weaker. This encourage mowing in the darkness. This is, of course, a terrible idea. Anything can hide there.
>More on that, the moonlight infects and corrupts all other sources of light exposed to it. Have fun with that one.
>There are the Fae that come out at night. They seem unaffected. This is a bad sign. Her goes anything from Fe nobles hunting PC from sport to tiny winged ones leading them astray for shits and giggles.
>Scour as much monster manuals as possible. Do not use the usual creatures with known stats.
>>
>>85537073
>>85537550
>>85539170
>>85539212
>>85539398
>>85541489
>>85542074
>>85542471
>>85542622
>>85542868
>>85543818
Thank you all for your input and encouragement- I knew /tg/ wasn't actually totally comprised of shitters/no-games these days but it was disheartening that they got to the thread first. Sorry for the delay in response, I'm in an Australian timezone, so I had actually run my session today before getting to read any of these, BUT, the players actually did a lot of day-time investigating, RPing with the survivors and their ranger, etc., so there wasn't much need to put the night on a big display, yet.

A lot of fantastic ideas in all of these posts that I'm shamelessly going to insert (some of them at least, some don't fit due to campaign-dependant reasons, but none of you were to know that).

I suppose I don't have much to add besides that if the thread is still up when I have my next session, I'll update any anon whose idea I utilised (along with some of my own, obviously, I'm not a total hack, haha), and let them know how it went.

Thanks again!
>>
>>85543976
Keep us updated, OP, sounds like you've got a solid setup for some spooky shit here and I'm intruiged to hear how it plays out.
>>
>>85543976
>if the thread is still up when I have my next session, I'll update any anon whose idea I utilised
Post a new thread if this one dies, there were some interesting ideas here and I'd like to know how it plays out.
And also it'll piss of the nogames brigade
>>
>>85541489
• The existence of shit threads doesn't justify the existence of shit threads.
• There are lots of other games that aren't D&D.
>>
>>85542622
>Fuck off. Generals have been a disaster for /tg/
Then go to Reddit or Facebook or Twitter or some insular faggot Discord that there are literal thousands of in devotion to D&D.
>>
>>85543818
D&D isn't creative.
>>
>>85544855
>D&D is the only game that exists
>>
>>85543976
Moon explodes people anon here

Yeah, as many people have stated, do keep us posted, I'm also intrigued in both what you do with the thread ideas and what your game is going for since it looks very interesting

I do dislike d&d but as other anons said, if it's working for you then have a blast with it.
>>
>>85536488
You sound like an underage no games faggot, anon
>>
>>85546056
Oh yeah, don't get me wrong, 5e is not my preferred choice of game, but it's what my friends like, and I really don't mind playing whatever, as long as I can write a decent setting for them to explore.

We do one-shots, or short-campaigns in plenty of other systems, our 5e is just our "perpetual" campaign.
>>
>>85546581
>as long as I can write a decent setting for them to explore
That's impossible when using D&D (especially 5e) as the framework.
>>
>>85546632
Nah, you're just a mouth-breathing, nogames faggot. Of course (you) can't write a decent setting.
>>
>>85534284
>>85534268
I suggest taking some things from the nightland.

Weird cursed houses that try to draw people into them.

Strange voices in the night, begging you to save them, but unable to repeat the masterword.

Shambling things of eldritch energies that your mind simply blacks out, you know something is there, and that's its terrible, but you simply can't perceive it.

So look into the nightland to find stuff.
>>
https://nightland.website/index.php/background/essays/195-d-d-statistics-for-several-night-land-monsters
>>
>>85539398
This is highly highly important
>>
>>85543976

Sometimes, all you really need are some high-CR aberrations.

https://5e.tools/bestiary.html#lesser%20star%20spawn%20emissary_vrgr
Note how Aberrant Rejuvenation transforms it into:
https://5e.tools/bestiary.html#greater%20star%20spawn%20emissary_vrgr

https://5e.tools/bestiary.html#kalaraq%20quori_erlw
https://5e.tools/bestiary.html#belashyrra_erlw
https://5e.tools/bestiary.html#elder%20brain%20dragon_ftd
https://5e.tools/bestiary.html#ssendam%2c%20lord%20of%20madness_mabjov
https://5e.tools/bestiary.html#ygorl%2c%20lord%20of%20entropy_mff
https://5e.tools/bestiary.html#dyrrn_erlw

Bluetspur has some decent ideas:
https://5e.tools/book.html#vrgr,3,bluetspur
>>
>>85546768
>tell architect to build on shitty soil
>blames architect when building collapses due to being built on shitty soil
>>
>>85547399
Kill yourself retard.
>>
>>85547399
You've already stated your non-argument several times, rehashing it to no end won't make us care about it. And I also dislike 5th ed but you are literaly no one to say what other people can or cant do and pretending otherwise just makes you look like a whiny edgelord teen.
Spare yourself the embarrasment
>>
>>85547672
I did? >>85546632 was my first post in your dumpster thread, retard.
>>
>>85547802
He's not the OP, I am, and your argument is retarded- you imagine you can't write a good setting, because you simulate it in a system you don't enjoy; this is categorically untrue.
>>
>>85548225
The Anon's post was about decency, not enjoyment.
You can enjoy eating shit all you want, but that doesn't make it decent food.
>>
>>85534284
Go and listen to a few episodes of The Magnus Archives for inspiration. the first episode tackles a pretty cool monster that you might like, and it only gets weirder and weirder as the story continues. Could be good for more than just this campaign as well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdiUHYacaRI&list=PLSbuB1AyaJk8zTF3nE2KRxuixG_A5gBKJ
>>
>>85543818
>Is this what /tg/ has been reduced to? First responses are immediately hostile to any attempts of creativity?
It happens with fightening regularity, anyone trying to make something either gets their thread spammed, or 'bumped off' by a flood of 'stat him, how would you, how does x far in y, in your setting' posts that are shat out in rapid succession. Doesn't matter the system either, just that someone was trying to make something with out consulting the commissars.

All that said, have shadow creatures that lurk out in the dark, from small fast ones, to large lumbering monstrosities.
>>
>>85534268
well if there's a false moon you're obliged to have fucked up werewolves, channeling its power and doing spooky shit
>>
>>85549741
NTOP but man, that sounds neat and potentally creepy af
>>
>>85549741
Weird were creatures that have their power change depending on the phase of the false moon? That sounds do able. Each phase brings certain strengths and certain weakness. Maybe the fuller the moon, the more physical power they have, yet the less of it, the more magical abilities they get? So very weak during the new moon, but able to perform feats of magic they otherwise wouldn't be able to perform. Say making fetishes, charms and talismans for later use.
>>
>>85549741
Reverse werewolves, massive monstrous wolves during the day, cunning and intelligent people during the night, they try to get into your shelter/haven, and then tear you apart.
>>
I know it's a bit off-topic, but do you guys think cosmic horror still works today?
>>
>>85536322
Stop being an utter faggot.
Getting the absolutely optimal system for style of game or play is less important then actually having a good game. And even then, sometimes the optimal system will be 5e.
>>
>>85550064
>do you guys think cosmic horror still works today?
Absolutely, but it can't just be in your face. I appreciate the OPs subtlety in gradually showing his players what is happening and letting them draw their own conclusions. If you were to tell people directly what is happening and what is expected, the horror aspect is gone ad it just becomes a puzzle to solve. The less info you share with your players, the better; but don't cheat the, either.
>>
>>85534284
I'd take some inspiration from Dead Space, honestly, and have each of the characters haunted, first separately, by loved ones demanding or saying strange things, and then together, by even stranger encounters with NPC's asking even more vague, stranger things.
If these demands are met, whatever is on the moon or making those demands grows massively in power, through they are always espoused to the PC's as the opposite.

Titanic wyrms writhe under the surface, and entire portions of the moon may simply lift up, as if to eat the unwary. And by portions, I mean miles.
In other cases, they encounter weird things like mass time dilation, being forcibly split from each other, events that have to be an illusion, like being back home or in a meadow, but being attacked in them still hurts them just as bad.
And of course, if anyone makes a nat 20 on perception, they notice there are actually no stars in the sky, but they get the impression of immense eyes in the blackness, watching them.
>>
>>85550064
Maybe biased since I'm a hardcore lovecraft fan, but for me cosmic horrors will never not work
>>
>>85550064
It does, and even easier if your target audience isn't stupid, both mentally and emotionally.
>>
>>85536322
>forcing people to use generals
Hey guess what , you're more cancer than he is.
>>
>>85550064
Yeah, I'd say so. For an rpg you need players who are willing to 'buy-in' to the mood rather than breaking the tone with quips and memes though
>>
>>85536488
Fuck off, you're the goddamn problem here. Dude shows up with an interesting if off setting idea and you sperged out over it, you fucking hair trigger cunt.
>>
>>85534268
Try the 5th Ed general.
I hear dbd players really hate level drain.
>>
File: tumblrlc7m.jpg (212 KB, 500x539)
212 KB
212 KB JPG
The ghost of the lost haunt the wastelands where they perished. Some seek to see their deaths avenged, others will take their vengeance out on any that happen by.
>>
>>85550077
Yet this doesn't change the sheer ubiquity of D&D circlejerks you keep ignoring for the convenience of your victim complex.
>>
>>85551523
>no u
Hey, guess what, the places that aren't 4channel aren't generals, so eat my ass.
>>
>>85551933
>there are no less than 25/150 threads explicitly devoted to D&D on the board for all traditional games
>yet the people who want to see a lower concentration of shit are the problem
>>
He's asking for help with his campaign in general, that happens to be running 5e. Why is that supposed to be thrown into a general thats specifically for 5e? Its not a 5e specific question
>>
>>85551933
>Fuck off, you're the goddamn problem here. Dude shows up with an interesting if off setting idea and you sperged out over it, you fucking hair trigger cunt.
Dubs of truth

>>85552567
What a surprise. It's the most popular rpg, of course it's going to have more threads than anything else.
Quit being such a cunt. The only thing your autism does is make me want to go around bumping every 5e thread I see for the next month out of spite (despite the fact I don't even play 5e)
>>
>>85552740
>it's the most popular RPG so ignore the multitudes of other sites already devoted specifically to it and post in the place meant for everything else
I feel as though you have your toilet in your kitchen.
>>
>>85536488
>>85536322
>I-is this a thread on /tg/ that isn’t a shitty game general, coom thread or political bait thread…. JANNYMAN SAVE MEEEE IM GOING FUCKING INSAAAAAAAANE
>>
>>85552758
Honestly, how can that cunt look at /tg/ right now and think that 5e is the problem he needs to launch a pathetic crusade against?

I feel sorry for OP since all he wanted to do was ask an earnest question involving a interesting aspect of his game and instead he gets this wannabe janny's autistic screeching.
>>
>>85552813
Seriously, an honest, creative thread, in a sea of 'elf slave what do?' an this is what sets him off? I'm not buying it. Seen it too many times for it to be a coincidence. I don't know what these morons are after, but they won't get it. Support creative threads and hide/ignore the bait/trash ones.

For OP. The dark doesn't merely hide the monsters, it aids them. Sounds become muffled, Sight dims. The shadows work to conceal the beasts with in. Only with in the sanctity of a home or holy place does the darkness not reach and only if the rites have been kept. The sacred festivals of yester year are more important than ever and holding back the night.
>>
File: 1280731005554.jpg (202 KB, 778x595)
202 KB
202 KB JPG
Walls would be a must for all settlements. Even sole farms would have some kind of walls. Priests/shamans/witches would be central to maintaining the wards that keep out the dark.
>>
>>85553275
Walls and safe havens are kino, especially in this setting, being covered in runes and holy symbols on the inside, using the powers of gods to secure a little space, while the outside is filled with scratches and attempts to get in.
>>
The resident troll is probably triggered by the fact that OP managed to:
-post a non-bait thread and is getting feedback
-run a horror game in 5ed
-have friends enjoying his game
I'm sure the resident troll is just jealous about those three and his autism is being amplified by his attention-seeking needs. It's the only conclusion I can reach seeing his
>"hur dur dumb topic, hur dur 5e gen, hur dur me keep posting"
He's probably jerking off whenever he replies thinking how big brain his answer was and getting an orgasm whenever he gets an response.
>>
>>85552813
>How can that cunt look at a room that's filled 1/7 with shit and say there's a lot of shit in that room?
>I feel sorry for OP since all he wanted to do was take a dump on the floor and instead gets told to use the toilet.
>>
>>85553023
>creative
>D&D
Pick one.
>>
>>85553023
>For OP. The dark doesn't merely hide the monsters, it aids them. Sounds become muffled, Sight dims. The shadows work to conceal the beasts with in. Only with in the sanctity of a home or holy place does the darkness not reach and only if the rites have been kept. The sacred festivals of yester year are more important than ever and holding back the night.
>>85553275
>>85553383
>Walls covered with scratches on onside and wards on the other
Shit anons, you're making me want to run a horror fantasy game for my next campaign
>>
>>85555456
Poster is a
A) Cock Gobbler
B) Pole Smoker
C) Sword Swallower

Pick any three.
>>
>>85534284
>What are some horrible, "cosmic-horror"-esque encounters that could befall the characters at night.

Clearly somebody has to come up and run away with their shadows.
>>
>>85556190
If you are already running a campaign you can sprinke now and then some horror themed adventures for a moodchange before returning to the regular adventure tone
As an example; I'm running "The pirates of drinax" for my group, but i have prepared a plothook for when they eventually misjump and arrive at an asteroid with a weird mining population, the catch will be that there is a cosmic horror in the center of the asteroid nesting. the whole thing takes inspiration from "the shadow over insmouth" and "the dunwich horror".
>>
>>85553275
>>85553383
How about instead of simple walls, any community still stand build their houses right next to one another, without windows to the outside, and with walls only going to one building to the other, wherever there wasn't enough space to build a new one.
That way they could save on resources and extend the portection from the local church to the entire village.
>>
>>85536584

It's not a 5E question you collosal faggot

But there is a "Roleplaying General" - it's called /tg/ - and that's where he posted.
>>
>>85553275
>Walls would be a must for all settlements

or non-wall protections, surely.

a holy place, or a village with wards all along the outer border.
>>
>>85557382
>a holy place, or a village with wards all along the outer border.
A village with standing stones or sacred trees that ring it is a neat idea. Keeping the stones upright and the trees healthy would be every villagers duty, but no doubt that there would be at least one person who's dedicated task would be to go around and make sure that everything is as it should be.
>>
>>85557635
Additionally, if we're going for a horror theme, there is no limit to how far you can take that.

E.g. the wards are spikes all around the village. Each must be touched with fresh blood on the night of the new moon or they stop working. Easy during butchering season. Reasonably easy during hunting season. Traveler beware if you arrive near the new moon when the villagers need an easy source of fresh blood.
>>
Can you guys stop feeding that one samefagging troll?

>>85534268
I would suggest taking a little inspiration from silent hill. Turn the outside into some sort of parallel dimension at night. Maybe open up some ways that weren't there by day e.g. some intact wall by day is suddenly crumbled down. Let passages lead to different locations by night etc. Isn't really creepy in itself, but this might make it feel different. Maybe the players could even start to use it once they discover this. Once they're comfortable lure them into some sort of trap. I would pair this with some additional effects.
>>
File: 1200px-Shambler.png (661 KB, 1200x859)
661 KB
661 KB PNG
>>85534284
the shambler from dd could be a cool encounter, considering it only comes out in complete darkness
>>
File: 1653693408094.png (185 KB, 398x241)
185 KB
185 KB PNG
>>85557960
>one
>>
OP here again- lots of encouraging responses, all of which I'm just trying to pass through my brain, like a sponge, and seeing what sticks to the interior insofar as making sense for my campaign, and the current predicament my party finds themselves in.

I'm glad to see that so many of you seem to think that the ways to begin laying the groundwork for unnerving players is to mess with their typical preconceived notions as to how their dynamic will operate, because that's exactly what I've done so far.

There are tons of great ideas for cerebral encounters, and I also like the ones that are just like "Here's a crazy, thematically appropriate monster you can throw at them, that they're in no way ready for", because by the very nature of keeping them on their toes, I want to approach the horror from all angles.

If I might hijack the purpose of the thread then, at this point (however by all means, if you read the thread and still have ideas for the query in the OP, then please go right ahead), what are some ways you might use to offer respite and encouragement, and show the players that there's still hope in an arrangement like this?

It's one thing to get them terrified of their shadows, and considering their every move, but I've always found when DMing that managing morale, mood, and tone are key to making memorable and engaging arcs, and I'd like to know what you as a player would find to be charming/appropriate/interesting/just plain nice to find as a reprieve from the horror and violence? Or what you, as a GM, would employ to grant that to your players?

We've already got one of our player characters getting quite afflicted by the moon's madness, another one who's somewhat afflicted, one who has been unafflicted by incredibly careful consideration as to where to stick their nose, and one who has been unafflicted by sheer, dumb luck, so they all in some way or another (bar the dumb luck, perhaps), are definitely looking for any way to find a break.
>>
>>85558401
tl;dr

How would you unwind in a cosmic horror apocalyptic realm, cut off from reality? Either as the visitors (the players) or what long-standing rituals might you see done by the long-standing inhabitants of the place (the survivor NPCs).

Again, I know it's all fairly vague, and undoubtedly some ideas just won't fit into the setting I have, but even those ideas have been great jumping off points for me to twist into separate instances of the setting, and maybe these exercises will continue to inspire GMs/Worldbuilders in the same vein.

Also, remember: don't feed the trolls. They already did a great job keeping a thread they seem to hate alive long enough to get picked up by our community, which as far as I'm concerned is their purpose in our ecosystem, but with the job done, there's no need to continue to get riled up at their inanity.
>>
>>85558401
>>what are some ways you might use to offer respite and encouragement, and show the players that there's still hope in an arrangement like this?

Moon explodes people anon here;
Make some of their successes meaningfull and not death traps. Make their wins hard, but meaningfull.
What i mean by that is; let them save someone in a way they understand that the someone they saved is indeed out of danger. Let them cure someone from the infection somehow, or help someone that thanks them instead of trying to backstab them. Give them either places or methods (as scarce or plenty as you need) to reduce the corrupting influence this plane is undergoing.
Or perhaps it can't be stopped but they can find a way to return to an uncorrupted plane/time and either escape o prevent it eventually
>>
If you want it to scare the players, don't have it be something they can fight. Fighting is the answer to problems in 5e, take that away.
>>
>>85558664
Completely agree, fighting in these kinds of instances should be the real death trap, and encouraging to solving things using planing and strategy. And by all means DO NOT be weary of letting them die, it is essential to keep the sense of danger and in keeping them carefull instead of careless
>>
>>85552753
Friend, you're on 4chan, not r/esoteric_hipster_rpgs
>>
>>85558401
Have areas that can be reclaimed for people to move into, as the 'starting area' should be over crowded and scant on resources. The method of reclaiming an area should NOT be mobile. It should be some kind of ritual that requires the ley lines, geographical make up and appeasement of local spirits all be taken into account. Just getting the readings could take some time and not every area is going to be something that can be set up. A thing they can look for is an uncorrupted plant/tree/animals, signaling that if amplified, the small area can be made large enough for habitation.
>>
>>85534284
You could steal from Bloodborne and have people/things empowered by the Moon hunting for it (possibly in a Warlock pact type situation). They tend to develop fairly similar powers and mutations, but the real clue to their allegiance is that if they go out at night, they're always illuminated by moonlight. They go through a door, light comes in through the window, they go underground (even far, far underground) there's a crack in the ceiling, they go outside and the moon is fat and full peeking behind the clouds or worse, in front of them

These hunters and monsters have their own lairs, where its always night and the moon is always out, but while weird places they aren't nescessarily dangerous in themselves most of the time. Things have to sleep sometime. Or perhaps the peaceful parts are remnants of the Old Moon's resting places, either left behind deliberately or the equivalent of lost eggs or bones. If the latter, the New Moon might be actively after them itself.
>>
>>85536566
Playing 5e makes you a queer, you might as well be a nogames faggot
>>
File: Full Moon in daylight.jpg (470 KB, 2560x1438)
470 KB
470 KB JPG
>>85537550
The time for real weirdness would be when the Moon is already out but that sun hasn't yet set. That could be a good way to introduce warnings that its time to get to safety and batten down the hatches. Animals, people and not-really animals either coming out to stare at it, or bolting like mad. Moon touched lunatics starting to giggle and guffaw, or cry and weep, but not doing anything dangerous yet. Villagers who see them out begging them to come inside while there's still time, or else bolting their doors while some of their friends are still out there (and then trying to ignore their friend hammering on the door trying to get in - do the pcs try to save him, or is he actually moon-touched?).

And when they get used to this, the moon starts coming out earlier in the day. Then it never properly sets. Then it gets bigger. Then it starts to move towards the sun...
>>
>>85558436
>>85558401
>what are some ways you might use to offer respite and encouragement, and show the players that there's still hope in an arrangement like this?
Well, for one, there's still the possibility the old moon is still out there somewhere and looking to help. It might be just as weird and eldritch as the new one, but broadly sympathetic instead and has had eons to understand stuff like "the groundlings don't like it when you give them tentacles. Wolf stuff is OK sometimes, for some reason". It may have its own cultists trying to keep it alive. Other celestial bodies might also want to help fight the New moon - the Sun would be the classic one, as it may not want a malevolent new sky partner (or more sinisterly, it thinks it can take the new guy and wipe out Night as a concept).

If the Old Moon has been complety covered/destroyed/devoured, well, what's to stop someone or something doing the same to the New Moon? Its clearly possible given the precedent. Just Florida Man it by getting completely filled up on cosmic rays, bathtub moonshine, and prayer and go out to murder the bastard to take its place. Of course then you've got a half-crazed humanoid abomination PC all hepped up on moon juice taking the place of a celestial body, but that's a problem for a future campaign.
>>
>>85558401
>>85558486
I agree with the idea of making their successes meaningful but I probably wouldn't have them be able to rollback the infection or sanctify areas. Once the moon has got someone or someplace then that's it, they're doomed. Being able to cure someone just dramatically reduces the threat posed by the moon.
Instead I'd go the route of showing that you can have meaningful successes despite that. Sure, you might not be able to fight the moon (or if you can it's going to be the long-term central effort of the campaign as a whole) but you can fight the beings influenced by the moon or do good for your fellow survivors in other ways.

Another simple way to manage morale/mood/tone is to throw some cuteness into the game. This might be as involved as a several session arc focused around rescuing a young child (or perhaps a pair of young children - one vulnerable little girl and her equally young brother who can be appropriately impressed and inspired by the heroic PCs) and finding someone trustworthy to look after them (ideally somewhere they can serve as recurring NPCs), or it could be as simple as having them find/adopt a small injured animal that has managed to survive in the wilderness.

>>85561223
>Of course then you've got a half-crazed humanoid abomination PC all hepped up on moon juice taking the place of a celestial body, but that's a problem for a future campaign.
I want to see the consequences of that.
What happens to someone who replaces the moon as a celestial being? What happens to the rest of the world?
Great campaign fodder right there
>>
>>85564700
Curing the moon taint should never be easy. Spells shouldn't work, at all, on it and only by taking time and some hard to get things can help. Each stage of infection should take vastly more resources to cure, not to mention time. The cure it self would be part alchemical and part ritual, needing it's own sanctified space (which is also a resource in and of itself). When the space isn't being used, no one can live there and you can't store anything there either, lest it become tainted by the residue of the moon. Think of it as a spiritual 'clean room'.
Locating resources to be used in dealing with the infection can be a good addition to just bashing bad guys and make for a better reward than just gold. After all, it's going to be consumed, so it's always going to be needed.
>>
>>85558401
Other anons speak about achievements and successes against the world/enemy, but in a cosmic horror game, all that is needed to contrast the mad shit are some reassuringly mundane things to contrast all the mad shit.
>Give them a pet. Just a normal cute little furball.
>Give them some safe havens. Places they can wait out the night. They should be very distinct, and unique - no the generic save point. A tiny cottage, a small cave, a still-standing church, a tree-house, etc. As long as they not lead eldritch shit directly there, the places should be fine.
>Dunno how many NPCs you have, but some sight that a familiar dude was here and is still alive would be a welcoming sign.
>Have some light-hearted fun moments, and some places that are still beautiful, to contrast the grim-dark shit. Don't overdo it, though.
>I personally find that taking a break half-in-character, like drinking some tea or whatever while the characters do the same is quite nice for the atmosphere, and allow some half-in-character banter and discussion, while still technically relaxing out of the game.
>Figuring and solving things out relieves the stress immensely, especially in the cosmic horror. Instead of unknowable, you now have knowledge, it's a great relief. Dole it (true, full and correct information) out very sparingly, and only for specific small mysteries, not for the whole cosmology. Some things must remain ever unexplained.
>And, as ever, tone is king, and you set the tone. You descriptions and intonations and style tells the players when to relax.
>>
>>85561040
Steal, but don't take it all whole cloth. The worse things people do when taking, esp from games, is to stop there and not make more out of it. For one, no ttrpg is going to map to a vidya and two, you'll bore your players that are familiar with it if you've done nothing more than port it over. By all means, use stuff from games, but make sure to add in other stuff so there's always that sense of the unknown.
>>
File: 1251067078593.jpg (32 KB, 400x375)
32 KB
32 KB JPG
>>
>>85566075
I'll add in having some other groups that the players help out showing up from time to time or just writing them letters can make it feel like they're not all alone in the fight. Not to mention that finding one of the journals/letters from a missing member/group can get your players to chase that plot hook down like a vengeance.
>>
>>85534268
Literally radiation.
It could be a chillikg reveal, theyre all doomed. The radiation poisoning has destroyed their cells regeneration.
t.that faggot that writes lotfp
>>
>>85572053
That's a way to make your players check out and never, ever give a fuck about your games.
>>
File: 1441608466659-1.jpg (523 KB, 1404x1774)
523 KB
523 KB JPG
Creatures with no eyes, but can taste your fear lurk out there. Then there's the chatterers. Too many mouths, all clattering away, saying things that no one should know about you. Things that you only let out in the small hours where no one else can see. How do they know? Who else heard them. No two people say they can hear the same thing from the thousand damned voices, but what if they're lying? What if they heard your secret? You can't let it get out. You know what you have to do.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.