[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

My friend's kids recently gained an interest in D&D after hearing about it on Stranger Things, and wanted me to run a game after they found out I knew how to play. Their dad joined in (he had no idea how to play). The first session was last Friday and we all had a lot of fun. I used a combination of Barbarians of Lemuria and basic D&D, with nine classes that most fit the homebrew setting.

I can post more if you want it, but mainly I just wanted to let you guys know that I got some kids interested in playing RPGs.
>>
>>85529517
Good work, anon. Running games for youngsters is the acme of roleplaying.
>>
>>85529517
Were they hot?
>>
File: 1650618009613.jpg (53 KB, 350x205)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
>>85529517
Tell me more about the game anon, I'm listening.
>>
>>85529894
Alright, typing it up now
>>
>>85529894
Thank you for ignoring the other bots in the thread.
>>
>>85529894
Alright, like I said I used a combination of D&D and BoL. The nine classes are Barbarian, Fighter, Ranger, Assassin, Bard, Thief, Druid, Priest, and Wizard. Every class has four skills listed under it (Barbarian is Climb Walls, Handle Animal, Move Silently, and Track Footprints, etc.). The classes have overlapping skills, so they get 1 rank each time the skill appears. I had them pick two levels of classes each and told them they could have two levels in the same class but they all went multiclass. Stats were BoL standard, with STR, DEX, INT and CHA rated from 0-3. Skill roll is a d20 + stat + rank (+ class level if the situation warrants it).

Party is a former assassin/current druid named Joker (kid #1), a ranger/thief named Sam the Man (kid #2), and a bard/wizard named Minerva (dad). Setting is a desert with a walled city named Arem and the surrounding areas, which are uncrossable desert wasteland on the south, east, and west, and desert wasteland and uncrossable mountains to the north. The city is teeming with impoverished masses and ruled by a despot named Grudge who has possession of magical artifacts called waterstones, which can produce water seemingly from nothing. He rations out water to the people, as the only other source of water is the spring floods that come down from the mountains and irrigate the meager crops that grow here. There were once rivers that flowed through the area that people could follow to other places, but those rivers have all dried up. This is important for later.

In the center of Arem is an eight foot tall statue of a humanoid made of seemingly indestructible crystal that's been there longer than recorded history. The statue has no base; it's standing directly on the ground. This is also important. It's in the middle of a plaza that Grudge uses to hang water thieves.
>>
>>85530693
The game started with six men being hanged for water theft. The players got their feet wet describing what they were doing before the first hanging, with the former assassin Joker having been given a declinable offer to take out Grudge's lieutenant Tork who's presiding over the hangings, the bard Minerva being contracted to play music on the stage to entertain the crowd until the hangings started, and the thief Sam the Man making a Sleight of Hand roll (which encompassed a pick pockets check) on an unsuspecting crowd member.

The pocket-picking was exceptionally good, the treasure roll was exceptionally high, and he suddenly had 95 gold coins.

The assassination attempt was a flub when a fat guy bumped into Joker and the would-be assassin dropped his knife (fortunately without Tork or his thugs noticing). Sam the Man picked it up and returned it to him, so those two met for the first time.

The first two men were hanged without any interference, but as the third man was about to be hanged, all hell broke loose when his fervent prayers to every god he'd ever heard of were seemingly answered when the eight foot tall crystal statue in the middle of the plaza suddenly came to life and plowed through the platform like the Juggernaut, then proceeded to plow through all the buildings, market stalls, and eventually the outer wall of the city on its way toward the mountains. The crowd goes wild.
>>
>>85530710
The last three condemned men managed to escape when the stage collapsed, but the one who had prayed for help was left to slowly strangle until Sam the Man cut him loose, but not before killing one of Tork's guards and being spotted by the others, thanks to Minerva shouting HEY LOOK THEY'RE GETTING AWAY THERE THEY ARE! in an attempt to suck up to the despot's lieutenant. However, the only guard who had seen Sam the Man's face was dead. The grateful man pointed the way to a safehouse as Sam the Man helped him flee into the chaotic crowd, leaving Tork distracted as the assassin Joker took another shot at the 100 gold coins he was offered to do the deed. However, this time he managed to get close but the glint of his knife alerted one of the guards, who engaged him in what ended up as a wrestling match with knives. Minerva, seeing one guard dead, decided to hitch her wagon to a different star, and used a Sleep spell to knock out one of the guards.

While Joker had his hands full with the guard, Minerva was being strangled by the enormous Tork. Just as he was about to break Minerva's neck, the assassin plunged a knife into his back. Joker was rightfully owed his reward, but both Joker and Minerva were now wanted men since some other guards had seen. Minerva took them to what she hoped was a safe tavern, and found a rich on-again, off-again patron who reunited them with Sam the Man and the other man. Sam the Man was squandering his stolen gold, showering the servants with tips.

It was at this point that the dad asked me if he could steal from the other PCs.
>>
>>85530724
His kids were upset to say the least when they heard this. His Sleight of Hand roll was significantly higher than Sam the Man's opposing Intelligence + thief level check. Sam the Man's player learned this when he ordered another bottle and found himself short. Voices were raised, weapons were drawn, accusations were thrown, but just as they started getting into it, I interrupted them with a search party of guards looking for them and everybody quickly decided that they'd be better off cooperating.

The grateful man named Alvo who the thief saved brought them back to his safehouse shack and introduced them to his two brothers, Simo and Thader, who were more than happy to learn that their brother had escaped death and even more surprised to learn that the huge crystal statue had come to life and seemingly saved him from a hanging. Alvo told them that he was a former prospector who had been driven into poverty after Grudge confiscated his claims.

It was at this point that Minerva came up with a plan to rob the rich patron, where she would distract him with an impromptu performance while Sam the Man burgled the place. Unfortunately, Minerva failed to gain the patron's interest, but Sam the Man went ahead with his part of the plan and climbed into the third-story window. He found a room with a big locked chest, but his lockpicking rolls weren't too high and he got a pick stuck in the lock long enough to make some noise that summoned a guard. He managed to hide above the doorway while a guard peeked in, but a second guard was more persistent and after a great sneak attack roll, Sam the Man found himself some leather armor on the dead guard and returned back to the safehouse.

Joker and Minerva snuck off to the market so Joker could collect his pay, which was hidden inside a slaughtered pig he received from a butcher that didn't acknowledge him. Meanwhile, Minerva got wind that someone in the city had a a scroll of Alter Self that could be bought for 100 gold.
>>
>>85530737
The next morning, Alvo left on "business". It was at this point that kid #2 asked me if Simo and Thader would be willing to pretend to have a fight in public to distract people so he could pickpocket them. I thought this was a pretty good idea but I told him that they didn't really like the idea of him stealing from their friends, so kid #2 asked if they could do their scam in the rich part of town. They didn't get a lot, but at least they didn't get caught.

Town criers suddenly informed everyone that Grudge's second lieutenant Shaker would be addressing the crowd at midday. The three PCs went to listen, and learned that Grudge was offering an entire jug of water each day (twice the normal ration) to strong men who'd volunteer to an expedition following the statue. None of the PCs had a high enough Strength stat to make the cut, but as the crowd was listening, Minerva spotted Alvo acting shady as he moved across the crowd. Minerva confronted him, and Alvo said he wanted to get to where the statue was going before Shaker and his thugs got there. When Minerva asked how Alvo planned to have enough water during the trip, Alvo reassured her that he had it covered. This is important too. The three PCs and Alvo came to an agreement that they would leave at midnight and split the findings evenly.

The session ended here; next session they will be leaving the city and following the trail of the walking statue into the wasteland and beyond.
>>
well done
>>
>>85531141
Thanks, next game is a week from now
>>
>>85530693
>>85530710
>>85530724
>>85530737
>>85530749
Cool. Hope they (and you) have an equally enjoyable second session.
>>
File: Skill issue restraint.jpg (49 KB, 640x442)
49 KB
49 KB JPG
>>85529517
Based thread, based OP.
Show the kids that they can make their own fun, release them from the yoke of modern media.
pic unrelated, unless the dad sucked at D&D.
>>
>>85529719
This. It's never too late to start them, but the earlier the better.
>>
>>85529517
as people have already stated, congrats on showing those kids the wonders of RP
>>
>>85529517
Did you touch them, and did it feel good?
>>
>>85533972
Dad was pretty good and picked up on the idea that it's OK to embellish the scene a bit (like how he came up with the idea of being the pre-execution entertainment). He was leading the way which made the kids have an easier time getting into the game.
>>
Why are people on 4chan such creeps?
(not aimed at OP obv)
>>
Giving your time to making sure kids have positive, fun experiences is the single most based thing we can do with our free time OP. Good thread, good post, good night.
>>
Based, sounds like an engaging setting. The dad is a total Chad for playing a female PC in front of his children and not making it all about how sexy she is. How old are the kids?
>>
>>85530693
>>85530710
>>85530724
>>85530737
>>85530749
>>85533319
>>85533358
Definitely make a part 2 post next time, this story is fire my guy
>>
>>85540822
I forgot to mention this but Minerva's backstory is that she became a bard in order to gain wizard knowledge, and she's disguised as a man because this is an Iron Age setting (they know it's not Earth btw) and most doors would be barred to her if people knew she was a woman. He came up with all that on his own. One of his kids questioned the need for it and he just explained matter-of-factly that in a time like this women were treated like lesser beings.

Kids are in fourth grade.

>>85541299
Thanks, next game will have more details about the weirder stuff in the setting like the other intelligent races and the reason why the statue took a hike as they venture away from the more recognizable part of the setting.
>>
>>85541546
>like the other intelligent races
It's not just standard dwarves and elves? Or are they there but just not known to the humans of the city
>>
>>85541578
No, the races are homebrew and designed for the setting. I'm thinking that as the players encounter new intelligent races I'll let them know that the option now exists to make a character from that race if they want. I'm treating the nonhumans sort of like how they did it in 3.5, where there's a level adjustment so you will either get only one level in a regular class (if it's a LA of 1) or no levels and just start out as a first-level creature of that race if it's a LA 2.

I forgot to mention some other background info of the setting: The city of Arem has a 20 foot high wall around it because every once in a while terrible monsters wander in from the wasteland. The world has a single moon called Loom, because it looms overhead and everyone is constantly watching it because once about every twenty years it gets close enough that giant monsters that live on the moon fly down from the sky and ravage the land, and if they're not all hunted down and killed they destroy everything and eat everybody. I stole that idea from a Star Wars comic.
>>
>>85541657
Did you just make this world for the game or have you worked on it/ran it before?
>>
>>85540363
Why can't retards post about D&D in the numerous containment areas on the internet, instead of spamming the board meant for all traditional games?
>>
>>85541864
It had been floating around my head for a while but about 80% of it was done for this group
>>
>>85529517
Good on you, OP. Some of my best experiences as a GM have been with players new to tabletop RPGs, there's a sort of experimental curiosity you don't get with people who know the settings and metagame.
>>
File: 1446207267078.jpg (117 KB, 1440x1080)
117 KB
117 KB JPG
>>85529517
Cool setting, fun adventure hooks, some impressive novice players, and a skilled GM to bring it all together. Great work, OP. I'll be keeping an eye out for Part 2 next week.
>>
>>85529517
>Indoctrinating children into your cult
Absolutely disgusting
But also kinda hot
>>
>>85542594
>Good on you, OP. Some of my best experiences as a GM have been with players new to tabletop RPGs, there's a sort of experimental curiosity you don't get with people who know the settings and metagame.
It's funny how true this is. New players do all kinds of innovative things, while lots of veteran players fall into the rut of just circling around the map looking for the adventure hook to click on.
>>
Very based OP
>>
>>85529517
>D&D
>kids playing
tell me more op, are you fleshing out the world and are they tinkering with it?
>>
>>85541956
Because dnd is a traditional game, just because there are forums etc dedicated purely to dnd doesn't mean it's in any way inappropriate here. /tg/ is one of those containment areas, no matter how impotently you might rail against that fact.
>>
>>85529517
Nice
>>
>>85546430
>tell me more op, are you fleshing out the world and are they tinkering with it?
They're getting the hang of it. I see that on Joker's character sheet in the Weapons section under Notes for his knife he's written "Dragon design" and looking at his character portrait, sure enough the hilt looks like a dragon.
>>
>>85551606
Do dragons exist in the world or are they mythical?
>>
>>85546915
D&D isn't the only traditional game, and there are plenty of other places to jerk off to it.
>>
>>85546915
Don't complain about creeps when you decide not to post in containment. Just as you shouldn't complain about D&D specific problems when you decide to continue playing D&D.
Understand that actions have consequences, and avoiding these specific consequences require practically no sacrifice on your end, yet you bitch when you decide not to avoid them.
Keep laying with flea-ridden, mangey dogs, and keep wondering why fleas are jumping on your infected skin.
>>
>>85551606
>I see that on Joker's character sheet in the Weapons section under Notes for his knife he's written "Dragon design" and looking at his character portrait, sure enough the hilt looks like a dragon.
Have you said how old they are already?
Because that's endearingly childish.

>>85551854
Really salty you didn't get that janny spot aren't ya?
>>
>>85552766
>Have you said how old they are already?
>>85541546
>>
>>85551789
>Do dragons exist in the world or are they mythical?
They do now lol

I'm leaning toward them being moon monsters but it's equally possible that there are also terrestrial dragons who might be willing to ally with humans.
>>
>>85552766
>having this little self-awareness
>>
>>85529517
Heres the deal, you post a nice tasty greentext with their adventures and any wholesome happenings, I'll make myself a coffee
>>
File: stats-1.jpg (1.31 MB, 2279x3121)
1.31 MB
1.31 MB JPG
Like I said, I picked nine classes that I thought best worked for the setting (I was debating on having Gladiators but decided it would just be a high-Charisma Fighter). I made a two-sided character sheet with this writeup and explanation of game stats on one side, and the actual character sheet on the other side.
>>
File: stats-2.jpg (243 KB, 1500x2054)
243 KB
243 KB JPG
Non-caster classes get four class skills, casters get one class skill and since they get one spell to start with I had the druid and wizard pick one to start but they can eventually learn and cast spells from all three schools/spheres.
>>
i have never done it, but my dms all tell me that dming for kids is far better than teens or adults.

kids usually aren't jaded, minmaxers, and everything is legitimatley NEW to them. Also if a kid gets upset and cries because his character died, it's a lot more endearing than a grown ass man doing the same thing.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.