[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Additional supported file types are: PDF
  • Roll dice with "dice+numberdfaces" in the options field (without quotes).
  • There are 61 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor applications are now closed. Thank you to everyone who applied!

A thread for people who play single player role playing games.
Previous thread: >>85383248
Discord: https://discord.gg/JKeyHcU
FAQ/Q&A, links, topics, and games: https://rentry.org/srpgg

QsOTD: How do you do your character sheets?
>>
File: 915[1].png (297 KB, 1252x517)
297 KB
297 KB PNG
>>85502165
>The swamp makes no sense next to a desert.
It's magic.
I think the chessboard is kind of a dumb idea too. But "doesn't make sense"
in fantasy
with wizards and gods
in solo
...bro
>>
>>85504443
Type em up
Print em out
>>85504683
>its fantasy bro, turn your brain off
>>
>>85504443
>How do you do your character sheets?
Write/draw them out, and then make copies from a master sheet so I can erase without much worry. I avoid computer/digital help as much as possible.
>>
>>85504443
>QOTD
I make the template in PowerPoint, then copy-paste it for each character. I keep separate files for the main party, allied characters, generic enemies, specific enemy factions, etc.
This one is for D20 Modern with the defense and HP mechanics from D20 Star Wars.
>>
>Pata pata pata pon
>>
>>85504443
I was thinking about making a game where you use different sized and colored rectangles to play a game instead of one that uses language and written mathmatics. a more kinesthetic experience.

something that more deals with proportions and kinds.
>>
something ive been toying with is to illustrate the relitive challenge of a contested event by how often each side gets turns rather than sear raw stats difference. i was thinking of doing it kind of like old school attacks per action in adnd. where something was listed as “3 attacks over 2 rounds”, meaning that on your first turn you attack 2 then second you attack 1 and third you attack twice and so one.

so an easy engagement would have every other turn giving you an additional action. a equivolent encounter would be one for one action. and hard would grant the other side an additional action every other turn.
>>
>>85505671
I like this concept but I see it fitting more for a very high powered "anime" style game, where high level characters/opponents can just do more things and constantly are one-upping their opponents.
>>
>>85505671
I doubt it will work well. The more action options and synergies you have, the more action economy bonuses blow everything else out of the water. I know solo games in particular don't have to be balanced, but I think it'll be hard to maintain any control over how difficult fights are with a system like this.
>>
After having weeks of writers block, or just disinterest in soloing, I sat down tonight and had a great session. Nights like this remind me why I prefer solo RPGs in the first place.
>>
File: CS.png (49 KB, 755x685)
49 KB
49 KB PNG
>>85504443
picrel
>>
Characters in solo rpg are optional
>>
>>85506993
Learning to read is mandatory, so get on that.
>>
File: pepe screen.png (558 KB, 1106x1012)
558 KB
558 KB PNG
Is it really right to play Solo?

Is it actually okay to just be alone and have fun, hours of your day put away, just to have fun in imagination land?
>>
>>85506993
What is this from?
>>
>>85507886
Solo rpgs are entertaining and that's all that matters to me.
>>
>>85507886
No.
>>
>>85504443
Painstakingly build an cross-platform app that can handle ensemble casts

>>85506601
Takes a lot of effort to ditch easier pastimes in favour of creativity, but it’s usually worth it.

>>85507886
Lots of people already do this with daydreaming, we’re just autistic about it.
>>
>>85507929
Based on the prose I suspect it's the Solo Game Master's Guide
>>
>>85507886
Everybody relaxes, they just get mad if you don't relax the way they believe is correct
>>
Played my first game of D100 Dungeon last night. Rolled a legendary cloak right off and seems to have made everything trivial. I think I would rather run a similar structure but with a different ruleset.
>>
>>85504443
Is there a solo system that'd fit Traveller better than the others?
>>
>>85505701
>>85506297
well, the problem I was having was trying to instill the sense of being outmatched or superior in a more immediate way. when I think of a swashbuckling adventure, usually superiority is illustrated by the superior force being more focused on in terms of lines of writting. its not something i can easily hand wave away. like damn, i really need to find a way out of this or find a very good lone of action BECAUSE this oponent WILL widdle me down without some majorchange to this formula.

maybe what i posited wouldnt work, but i do want some manipulation of action economy to reflect how dire a situation is rather than just giving flat bonuses.
>>
>QsOTD: How do you do your character sheets?
Index cards.
>>
I'm trying to come up with mechanics for a little game I'm making, like a 1 or 2 page game. I want something that can make the unlikely possible without turning the characters into superheroes.
Here's my idea:
Using cards. The level of the character is based on suits. Let's say My character has Heart and Diamonds. They would draw cards for their action until they came up with a Club or Spade card, then take the best card out of all the drawn cards as their action card.
Non-opposed actions would be against a set card number. Opposed would work as for the PC.
Let's say a small dragon has heart, Diamonds and Clubs. It would draw until it came with a Spade card and take the best card out of them all as it's action card. Highest card wins the contest/round.
Too random? Not enough levels? Maybe some stunts could make a character drop his best card or something? Maybe some characters could have level+1 and make the adversary drop a level when drawing against them?
>>
File: images (2).jpg (6 KB, 318x159)
6 KB
6 KB JPG
>>85509202
How do you fit it all on one?
>>
>>85509332
By using more than one if needed. It also depends on the game system. Not every game needs a long equipment or skill list.
And I use big index cards. The the smaller ones. They're about twice as big as the normal ones, if not a little more.
>>
>>85509332
by not using a bloated system.
stats on one side, equipment on the other.
>>
>>85504443
Obsidian
>>
>>85509332
I'm an ant. WE WILL CONQUER AND TAKE ALL YOUR WOMEN AS OUR QUEENS!
>>
just thoughts on methodology.
>>
>tfw half my party is dead from some cultists doing sneak attacks
>the big bad demon was destroyed in a few round without any of my characters taking any damage
>cultists are still around, even more pissed, and are gonna try to kill us in the background of our next adventures
>they won't stop and are trying to recruit new members
What do? Disband the party and try to live an ordinary life? Join some Church to have Cleric backup and go on cult-slaying expeditions? Become masters of disguise? Find some wizard to put some spell on the cult or on ourselves so that we won't be marked for death anymore?
I feel like I boxed myself in and that all my PCs are gonna die, they suck at perception and the cult is really sneaky.
>>
>>85506601
>keep thinking of my next solo session
>listen to music or watch movies instead of playing
>finally sit down to play
>read a book instead
Being creative is rewarding, but hard. At least for me.
Then there are the days like this:
>play solo session
>realize another system would be better for it
>convert my character to other system
>realize another solo engine would work better with the new system
>convert my lists and notes to new solo engine
>realize I would rather play in another genre
>restart adventure from scratch
>play
>this was a mistake.gif
>go back to old game
2 or 3 hours down the shitter
>>
Guys, advise tables for magical fantasy modernity. I want to make a kind of STALKER about the Zone, anomalies, artifacts, aberrations, etc. But I cannot fill the world with the strange and indescribable. Post-apocalyptic tables gravitate toward Mad Max and shotguning redneck cannibals while fantasy to dragons, elves and wizard towers.
>>
>>85510946
I struggle with this too. I guess it's ADD or whatever. I keep going back and forth on what system to use and how to generate dungeons and all. I finally just made myself sit down and play last night. I decided finding the right system didn't matter, I was going to play something.

My main problem is too many choices. I have tried to make a point to just pick something and go with it. I over analyze stuff too much. I like watching YouTube to see new things since I'm new to trpgs but at some point I have to just stop. Most of these YouTube channels are just endless videos of games being shilled. I would rather see content about people playing something they liked than playing some new game a developer sent them.

Anyway, I played for a couple hours and had fun. I'm gonna try to do the same tonight.
>>
So what if I’m completely new to tabletop rpgs but I’m interested in trying out a solo one for starters.

Any suggestions of systems and stuff?
>>
>>85512425
watch how rpgs are constructed and played out in general so that you have a loose idea of how to procede within a game in terms of methodology. i like me myself and die as an example of well done methodology, even if he has voice actor ticks. how he goes about deciding what his character will do, what the consequences are, when to go in a more “3rd person” mentality to decide stuff about the world, etc.
>>
>>85510946
Give yourself state triggers.
I'll give you an example:
Every August I did a lot of football practice and running on a track for many years. To this day, whenever I smell hot, freshly cut grass I think about running.
Your mind works with most things similarly - did you know that when you walk through a door your memory does a small reset?
Your mind is trained to that the state you're in when you get ready to play is that it should watch a movie, or listen to music. Work with it. Or don't, if you don't care that much.
>>
>>85512941
good point. think this is a similar topic to pnumonics, memory by association, which works really well for most human brains to recall and construct things.

on this topic, anyone got a playlist they use to invoke certain feelings?
like a tune for
combat
important/boss combat
exploration
reprieve/rest
tension
stealth
intrigue
etc.

been meaning to use one.
>>
>>85512622
Hmm, okay, interesting. I will do that.

BUT me rephrase the question just to get additional ideas:

What are some rpg systems that are A.) well-suited to solo play, B.) relatively versatile (by which I mean allowing you to do a variety of things, not just suited to dungeon crawls, for instance), and C.) relatively simple in their rules (mainly not requiring a huge number of dice and tables and stuff)?
>>
>>85512988
>playlist for emotion or tone
yea, I do it all the time now. I use various ambient or musical (no lyrics) tracks, I have a lot just not in a YT playlist.
When I started doing it I didn't know if it would have an effect, but it definitely does. My go to for getting in the mood in general is a Conan soundtrack.
>>
>>85513015
there is no go to, but people like ironsworn. not my persona cup of tea though, feels to specific in its mechanics. powered by the apocalypse systems can work if you are ok with abstractions. osr style stuff can work.
>>
>>85513050
a conan soundtrack?
you mean the one from the two swartzneggar movies?

probably a good idea
>>
>>85504443
Imagine not having friends lmao
>>
>>85513071
>conan movie soundtrack
Yea, here's the ones I had saved
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9jvb1xzsAs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKQHIgv5Xto
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWHTA-Om8_I
>>
>>85513050
>>85513071
I can confirm that the score for the Conan movies is absolutely based.

>>85513015
Don't be like me and let looking for THE ruleset to use keep you from playing. I recommend finding something quick and simple to learn and start there. Small, solo minded and highly structured games will get your feet wet and help you learn the basics without overwhelming you. Then build up from there.
>>
Side note:

Fans of gamebooks should check out http://www.ffproject.com/ for new stories made by fans using the Fighting Fantasy system

>>85513234
Good point, thank you!
>>
Hi, former prisoner here to ask more questions:

Prison have limits on the number and types of books you can receive. So what are some brig systems that:
>Only require a small number of books to enjoy properly
>Ideally have books available in paperback form (note: low security prisons allow hardbacks if they come directly from Amazon, but higher security places typically do not allow them)
>>
aaaargh fuck I want to play solo but for two months now I sit down to either my old game or an attempt at a new one and just can't get it going
>>
So what exactly are these weird “letter writing” solo games?

Are they even “games” in any sense of the word, or more like creative writing exercises?
>>
>>85514709
The latter, but they mainly come from years ago when the genre was emerging
>>
>>85514709
note sure if you mean "play by mail"
which is a sort of game where you sent either letters, emails, or posts on a form to a dm and they get back to you with the results as well as what happens next.

there was also a thing where people made their own solo modules on paper that you gradually fold out and complete which people sent to each other by mail.
>>
>>85514948
I was referring to the the solo games you play by solely writing letters and/or journaling.

BUT I’m actually really interested in play-by-mail games and made a thread about it previously. I’m the previously-mentioned ex-con anon, and I bet there would be a huge demand for those sorts of games in prisons.
>>
Weird question, but are there any magazines, fan zines, or even just websites devoted to solo rpgs?
>>
>>85515042
Mythic Magazine has 20 issues and is pretty good
There are various blogs that have solid solo info but no centralized site
>>
Screen fatigue is feeding up my depression, I'll probably move any new ideas from digital to physical. All these weeks learning how to use Obsidian, down the drain.
>>
>>85515026
IDK about "high", but I could see the fit.
>>85515042
fighting fantasy.
also cant remember the name, wolf something or ice something.
>>85515139
lol.
Did it really take weeks? I didnt get deep into oblivions minutia, pretty much just how to link pages and images.
Regardless, having digital is a good back up. usually harder to loose.
>>
>>85515139
exercise
>>
>>85510303
Hunt the cultists with veteran fisherman skills
>>
>>85510303
It happens sometimes. Let the dice decide how effective the cult is, or how lucky/unlucky their initial ambush is.

On a similar note, I lost two of my favorite henchmen characters from my last session
>one got his hand smashed by a bugbear, when it got restored he was cursed by the gods/other side and is now randomly hunted by an invisible stalker (he won't survive, is a mage)
>former legionnaire that has been with the group since the beginning got knifed in an alley while carousing
>>
>>85515135
Are there any good blogs worth checking out?
>>
>>85515950
your face is a good blog that my fist reads daily.
>>
>>85515950
https://aleaiactandaest.blogspot.com/
Lots of actual plays that have the mechanics discussed
There should be more in the OP FAQ
>>
>>85516396
Okay, I added a "Blog" section to the rentry link. I'll add blogs as you guys post them.
>>
This is really interesting, I hadn't ever considered this before stumbling on this.

Actually my first thought was this >>85514507 though I'm not a former prisoner, however as a math tutor I've considered what is available for helping people in prison with math, but I'm not sure where to even look with that, anyhow off-topic. Chances are though if you posted that, you're keeping an eye here so if you have recommendations, let me know, it feels like really good work.

Anyhow, interesting. I'll check the OP links but I don't do discord, and if anyone wants to throw down a link for new person reading, or even... I don't know, like, what a "session" looks like? I'm just having a hard time understanding how this all plays out in practice.
Interesting, cool general.
>>
>>85517017
Search me myself and die on youtube like I said before in this thread. ANd Like I said before, the guys mannerism might be annoying, but its an excellent example of the process regardless.
>>
>>85517017
>I don't know, like, what a "session" looks like?
I was in the same position. Im still learning but the following link help me a lot.

http://tabletopdiversions.blogspot.com/2015/01/solo-role-playing-series-part-1.html

I wouldn't force myself into copying someone else exactly but checking out others will help reorient your mind to understand solo play.
>>
>>85517052
I should add that part 5 gives the actual example of play, but its worth reading them all.
>>
>>85517045
Cool thanks. I don't find him annoying at all, this looks like a great introduction.
>>85517052
Thanks, I will definitely look at this.

I have used markov graphs with some young students and a specialized die I made a prototype of, for them to make their own solo game essentially. But this was more "oh you rolled onto this branch, now you have to tell a joke!"
I'll have to read/watch to see how people do this, but I'm interested in developing a solo system, or piggybacking off of others.
>>
File: markov simple.png (26 KB, 421x311)
26 KB
26 KB PNG
>>85517207
>markov graph
also, this is simpler than it might sound to someone who isn't already aware of it. Best is to give an example.
Note that in pic, the sum of all exits from some node is 1, or 100%. That's all it is. Of course it can become as complicated as you like, with or without "cycles" (loops) and so on.
My prototype die is a "d12" but has color for 50%, triangles for 1/3, and squares for 1/4.
Most custom die places only offer a standard size, but I want this to be a little bigger, so I think I have to render this somehow and use a 3d printing service.
>>
File: watch me markov.jpg (2.28 MB, 4160x2340)
2.28 MB
2.28 MB JPG
>>85517255
I think markov graphs are possibly a good thing to use for solo rpg, in how versatile they are.
Here's the award-winning pop/rock song Watch Me, rendered as a markov chain (not mine)
>>
File: figures.png (1.21 MB, 1181x871)
1.21 MB
1.21 MB PNG
>>85517017
I'll tell you about my sessions. To play I can use any RPG system, (personally I run GURPS), a Mythic GME deck, and something to write notes. I stat a character using GURPS and then I start playing immediately. No setting, no NPCs, no quests, just a character sheet and my deck. First I generate an event using the deck. (See Figure 1. & 2.) I improvise using what the deck provides me, in this case "NPC Action, Spy Pain" means to me that some guy is sneakily watching someone through a window as a couple engage in BDSM. The game can begin with my character in this scene. I'm allowed to ask the deck yes-no questions like "Am I the one being spanked?" and the deck generates an answer (See Figure 3.) that I can use to draw conclusions about what's happening in the game. I improvise this scenario: I'm getting kinky with a woman and some creep is taking pictures of me. I notice and I can't let them get away with those pictures so I run after them to take their camera. I write down three entries in my lists (See Figure 4. and 5.) I start the next scene which I decide will be about me running after the creep. I want to know more about the environment we're running through so I can ask "Are we running through city streets". All the question I ask and answers I'll get will randomize the details of the game. Like playing with a GM, I ask questions and choose how I want to respond to what happens. I could go on about the rest of the system but that's enough to know how solo roleplay works.
>>
>>85508844
There is "Travelling Alone" on "Freelance Traveller" for free. It adds a main loop that limits what the characters can do next.

Also there's "Solo" for Cepheus engine which describes some styles of solo game: the merchant ship trying to earn enough to cover the repayments, the Navy on patrol etc
>>
>>85517979
Any tips for getting stats on the fly with GURPS? I often get stuck with NPCs, and sometimes I'll start with a blank-slate PC.
>>
>>85518063
-Just list what traits your NPC has first in plain English, then search for the traits in GURPS.
-You have to judge for yourself what defines the characters. Are they smart? Give them a few levels of extra intelligence; that sort of thing.
-They need skills so you need to know all the skills. Use the "GURPS Skill Categories" pdf (Also available for free on Warehouse 23) to find skills by their use.
-Get familiar with the traits list in the Basic Set. You can also use the program GURPS Character Sheet (GCS) to sort and find traits by type.
-Check out "Caravan to Ein Arris" (it's free on Warehouse 23) for examples of NPC stat blocks.
>>
What's the dumbest thing to happen in your solo game?
>>
File: hyena yell woah nigga.jpg (783 KB, 2132x1422)
783 KB
783 KB JPG
>>85518490
>Go into a dungeon to end a curse done by a blood cult
>Find animate terracotta figures in the first room
>After several bad rolls, they KO my character
>Roll on a list of things that can happen
>Get captured by orcs serving the blood cult
>Manage a desperate escape
>Decide to get revenge on the Orc captain/leader
>End up doing a mega unlucky roll
>Get bopped on the head
>KO'd again
>Captured again

I thought my life was a tragedy. Turns out, it was a comedy.
>>
File: bonk.png (1.27 MB, 1075x1073)
1.27 MB
1.27 MB PNG
>>85518686
Sometimes we're the hero. Sometimes we're the villain. But most of the time, we're the comedy relief.
>>
>>85511005
Worlds Without Number has sections on creating monstrous aberrations and a lot of the location tags have anomalous traits to them. Some of the magical items are kind of weird artifacts, like the stutterhatchet that perfectly chops items but they reform the next day. It's more dying earth fantasy than modern, though.
Also advise just stealing all the anomalies, artifacts, enemies, factions, etc. from STALKER and reskinning them to your setting.
>>
>>85513635
House of Horror is great.
>>
>>85514709
Depends on which one, but most have some game mechanics. It can go from mechanics about character and story to only mechanics about the story for the lighter games.
>>
>>85518490
Opened a sealed tomb that had warnings on it written by an old prophet that sealed great evil in it
>made mythic and table rolls
>every roll pushed the outcome further towards 'world cataclysmic evil'
>its an old, undead sorcerer-priest of an eldritch horror posing as a god
>it escapes, sparing the party
>raises an undead and demi-human army, conquers a wide swathe of land and is preparing a massive genocidal ritual to 'pierce the veil'

>>85518686
Sometimes the Orc gets the last laugh
>>
>>85514736
>but they mainly come from years ago when the genre was emerging
They come from 1975?
>>
>>85513635
I like to use FF to test new solo engine/tools with.
>>
>>85518490
>finally found the guy who murdered my parents
>could have killed him using stealth
>decide that I want a climatic battle instead
>it's gonna be hard, but I have some advantages that can help
>lost initiative after declaring my intention to get my sweet revenge
>bad guy one-shot my PC in the first round with the best roll he could get
>of all my advantages for this fight, I don't have one to counter this
>bystander face when
>>
>>85517207
Ive always found this video in particular really effective in explaining the particular strength and methodology of rpgs in general, and solo in specific.

I wish more people explained their methodologies. as ive always found that more useful then specific rules.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4c9BoqE-jeY

The GM
The Player
The Dice

Not stories, but choices.
>>
>>85522454
>>
>>85522538
ow my neck!
>>
>>85522563
sorry about your neck.
>>
>>85513635
Speaking of gamebooks, what are some of your favorite that are not as well-known?
Mine:
The Cretan Chronicles
AD&D (Test of the Ninja and The Soulforge are great)
Fire*Wolf
Golden Dragon
Way of the Tiger
Forbidden Gateway
Horror Classics
Sherlock Holmes Solo Mysteries
Marvel Super Heroes
Virtual Reality (Necklace of Skulls is great. I think it was also published under another series. There's not enough Mayan settings out there for gamebooks and rpgs)
>>
>>85522132
>>
>>85522597
Pictures of notes satisfy me. I want to see more documents. I'm getting into note taking so I like seeing what others do for inspiration.
>>
was thinking of making a tqb system as insperation for major aspects of encounters.vh84xv
>>
>>85526442
yah, this is a format im thinking of. the GM faze is where I set up a scene. the player section is where I make a choice for the pc and set a relivent target number. the resolution phase is where I record the role and consequences. then I set up the next turn with a gm descriptor of the current situation. rinse and repeat.
>>
>>85526442
yah, this is a format im thinking of. the GM faze is where I set up a scene. the player section is where I make a choice for the pc and set a relivent target number. the resolution phase is where I record the role and consequences. then I set up the next turn with a gm descriptor of the current situation. rinse and repeat. meant to keep me honest, keep me progressing.
>>
this is a subsection of a continuing game. the long and short is that i am a navigator on a ship teturning from an exotic market. we shipwreck but were only lightly damaged. durring repairs oddly human noises were heard in the woods, we ignored but the men were not getting good moral, so i was on a search party to see if we can find the source.
>>
>>85504443
I'm working on a broad-strokes solo engine that adds more structure to solo play and doesn't involve asking series of questions like Mythic. I liken it more to a campaign framework than an engine really. It's more mechanical and the way I've been thinking about it, it takes your gameplay as input and spits out the questions that you would then refine down using Mythic or some other oracle or just come up with your own answers on the fly. I'm building it because while I have nothing against Mythic and oracles, they feel too light for me and I have to rely on my own knowledge of storytelling to make it work, it also puts too much focus on fiction over gameplay. I've read other sentiments online of people who share my feelings but there's not really an alternative because Mythic's DNA is embedded into pretty much every solo tool out there. Guess I'm trying to gauge feedback and see if anyone would even be interested in using such a system
Would anyone here want a system like that, if not, why
>>
>>85529239
you disnt really say what it is, you more said what its not. its hard to say if id like a system mostly based on the omittion of things, but i do personally enjoy more out of the box alternatives that play with different types of methodology.
>>
>>85529239
Not who you're asking because I'm new as of today and about an hour into season3 of Me Myself and Die, which apparently uses this Mythic thing, but I think it's very interesting and would like to see something different from my initial exposure, for sure.
Also just in general, go for it! You've got a vision, see what happens after you actualize it.
>>
>>85529272
I'm wondering if generally people would be interested in using a tool that isn't an oracle system and also what you might want out of that tool

I'm summarizing, but the engine I'm building would be able to create goals for your character, give them obstacles and challenges that need to be overcome to reach those goals, rewards for your performance, and twist those goals and the ways you achieve them to generate surprise and tension. I know Mythic can do these things, but is heavily reliant on the player improvising a solid narrative. I envision my engine being used as a structured way of doing all of these things so you can focus more on gameplay and still get a solid fiction derived from your play. You could still use oracles to flesh out the finer details

>>85529335
Trevor is a great storyteller
Im mainly just gauging interest and seeing if anyone else has felt the same way I have so I can see if my engine would actually solve some problems
>>
>>85529457
then yes i think most people would be interested.

though i think a tool for informing plays what are generally good narritive practices would be nice too. guidlines. though I can definitely see the appeal of a more structured system that cuts down on nebulousness too.
>>
>>85526643
Elaborate
>>
>>85529457
Could you post a general procedure? What's the actual process you're doing?
I'm always interested in alternative stuff but they seem to enforce a traditional narrative structure which is not very exciting.
>>
Does anyone remember the name of the solo engine where you determine the outcome beforehand and you role play the steps that lead to that outcome (so from Effect to Cause)
>>
>>85530168
I'm still cleaning it up and expect to post a version of it by end of the year, promise.

My idea is to give players a narrative structure that is an abstraction of the traditional dungeon crawl game loop in a way that uses gameplay as a means to shape the story. I use the concepts of locks, keys, dungeon rooms, traps, encounters, treasure, and many others to give players a new way of thinking about these concepts as a means to structure a narrative. Locks don't have to be locks, but can represent a group of mercernaries guarding a chapel, and a key could be a crate full of explosives. You need to use a lock's key to get past it to progress through the dungeon and retrieve the treasure, that treasure being anything from the favor of the king to an invitation to a secret party - anything. Over time, these locks and keys could be shuffled; the crate is now the key to a village priest, presenting situations to explore how these 'locks' and 'keys' change relationships and forms a story organically. Maybe you have to deliver the crate to the priest, or you realize it's an assassination mission - you would also be factoring in how the narrative has been led thus far, so perhaps the mission was given to you by the king (it sounds retrospective but it isn't, I'm just coming up with a plot on the fly) Keys can have many states, such as the 'key' of a widow being broken and needs to be 'repaired' by heading to a lake - why? Treasure is a huge part of it as well, as treasure must be traded to eventually produce currency - the only way you can advance your character in your system (paying for a wizarding course a la B/X, or acquiring some new skill in GURPS), but those trades have you crossing paths with many NPCs, providing many choices during play.

There's a lot more to it of course but does this help paint the picture of what I'm going for?
>>
>>85530582
Clarifying: dungeons and rooms also wouldn't have to represent a typical dungeon or rolm, but rather serve as abstractions over the choices your character is met with on their journey
>>
>>85530582
It sounds like you're taking cues from from the 5-Room Dungeon
>>
>>85530582
Sounds cool as a high concept, I'm just trying to picture what that would look like in gameplay. Like for mythic I would sum it up as:
>Start a scene
>Roll for if the scene begins as expected or is altered
>Play through the game, rolling for yes/no questions as they come up
>Note down characters and plot threads
>Yes/no questions have a chance of introducing random events which may involve characters and threads
>Roll on 2-word meaning tables if you're stuck for inspiration
>>
>>85530751
No, it's nothing like 5 Room Dungeon, 5RD is more a way to quickly generate linear narratives with a very rigid narrative structure. This is intended to create larger narratives in which the focus of the story is generated based on the relationships between the props
>>
>>85530582
So instead of an oracle that just generates Stuff, you have one that generates Stuff with defined narrative interactions? Not only does it tell me I found a roll of carpet and a bowl of soup, but the carpet is the key to rescuing the baron and the soup is an obstacle in my way?

Sounds like an interesting idea if you can get it to work.
>>
>>85531393
You're on the right track. The carpet would be the key and the baron would be the lock. If the soup is an obstacle then it would be a lock, so you'd need a key; off the top of my head, a piece of paper? Let's say a ransom note. I'd emphasize that you still need a theme, and you can use random tables, they can still generate a coherent story after some time. Maybe this is a banquet for the baron? In that case, you present the ransom note reasoning that the soup must be poisoned. Maybe the carpet is a merchant gift you need to present to the baron, or maybe you have to hide in the carpet while the latest shipment of house goods are shipped to the baron's castle? Either way, the goal is to get past/overcome the baron via the carpet, or get past/overcome the soup with the ransom note. It seems random because we're talking about these scenes in isolation but over the course of a campaign you'd likely have a world state in which these interactions have sensible interpretations (i.e. we probably generated the existence of merchants or the baron's castle before this point)
>>
>>85531553
So what happens if a key is lost or destroyed? Do I generate a new one? Can I make several in the first place if I want options? Is the narrative structure a railroad from key to lock, albeit one where I interpret what the keys and locks are and mean?
>>
>>85530779
You could just use the philosophy of the system to direct the way in which you ask questions to Mythic, in which case, you'd just be using Mythic, but it's intended to be used with accompanying turn sequence
>generate a room
>generate some exits, and if those exits are locked
>generate those locks, their keys and the location of the key
>there's some mechanics involving features which cause penalties
>keep moving through the dungeon, win encounters, get the keys, get past the locks, and reach the exit to the next dungeon
>collect treasures on your way there
>trade those treasures with NPCs to eventually get currency
>use that currency to improve your character
It's hard to explain here how this produces a structured narrative and isn't just a literal dungeon crawl, it's really based on the way you think about it, like one of those "look hard enough" illusions. It'll be more clear when I finish the document
>>
>>85531628
>lost or destroyed
Keys have a few states, lost and broken being two of them so good callout. A lost key is a key that needs to be re-retrieved, albeit from a different location. A broken key needs to be repaired through some interaction that involves sacrificing a treasure.
>generate a new one
No, you only create keys when you generate a lock, but it is possible for a new lock to use an old key
>can I make several
No, each lock only gets one key, though quests will shuffle the order of them. Quests are chains of shuffled locks and keys, usually involving most of those keys being broken, lost, stolen, etc. and needing to be reacquired/repaired, etc, providing a lot of new narrative setups to explore.
Part of that reasoning is to motivate the player to do quests as they can shake up the narrative and offer more valuable treasure
>railroad?
No no lol. You will always have multiple ways forward, some exits won't have locks, some will, and it will uncommon but not rare for the key to a lock to be in another dungeon. You don't have to get every key or open every lock, and sometimes progressing into a room may break one of your keys. You choose what you want your character to explore
>>
>>85531698
Thanks for answering my questions. Sounds like a pretty neat idea.
>>
>>85531777
Thanks for the interest, may your lucky trips bless me
>>
File: sad cat bed.jpg (36 KB, 640x775)
36 KB
36 KB JPG
I have literally zero ideas or motivation to play.
>>
>>85513050
>>85513175
Check out barbaric dungeon synth, I think you will like it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2e_R92w-6Y&list=PLSfuhbfqZSRH0UcRULkQMF4PsYuLZ8VVk&index=1
>>
File: PDF.png (38 KB, 730x487)
38 KB
38 KB PNG
>>85531915
I'm taking the PDF challenge for motivation. If I don't post a PDF in the next three days, then I'll die of shame.
>>
File: watercolor.jpg (20 KB, 256x256)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
>>85531915
I keep flitting between new ideas after having played one campaign for like a year. Need to get organised…
>>85533336
Heh, cool. I hope you write the mechanics in there.
>>
>>85504922
>PowerPoint
Madness.
>>
>>85529239
I would suggest reading Perilous Intersections, just so you don't accidentally reinvent the wheel.
I'm always game for another way of doing things in solo.
>>
>>85529457
This sounds a lot like what PI does.
>>
>>85531915
>start a new Ironsworn game
>finally able to get it off the ground
>IS isn't as easy for me as for other people for some reason
>begin to play
>lost innawoods
>climb tree to search for landmarks
>Miss on Gather Information
>fucking Elder Bear coming my way is what I see
>it doesn't see me
>I hide like a little girl on top of the tree
>the bear takes it's sweet time and it's dusk when he finally goes away
>now all the beasts and horrors are about to come out and I'm still lost innawoods
>lost Spirit from my bearcounter
>PC "embraced the darkness" and began to think that the Broken are the ones who found the right way to deal with the Ironlands
My hero.
Then it went on to a Miss or a bad Oracle roll on every potential Milestone moment/Move. I have 0 progress on my 2 Vows after hours of play (3 days of game time).
I'm still lost in the forest btw
I'm at 1 Health, 1 Spirit and 1 Supply.
... and the Elder Bear is back... with a bunch of normal bears...
time to climb up and hide again
>>
I've been toying with the idea of running some dumb fuck retard anime solo adventure lately, but I have no idea what system would lend itself well to solo play. Any suggestions?
>>
File: Gurps Character Sheet.png (68 KB, 2113x2350)
68 KB
68 KB PNG
>>85533424
>>85533633
PowerPoint anon here. I used Word for NPC stat blocks back when I GMed for friends back in the day. When I started soloing last year, I quickly grew tired of having to scroll through my main party Word doc each time I needed a different character's stats, and found that it was easier to switch slides in PowerPoint. There was also the added benefit of being able to drag the text boxes around to rearrange stuff.
>>
>>85534048
Why not just Excel, with different characters on different sheets?
>>
>>85534059
I find the grid to look too busy for my taste, especially if I have a combination of text boxes for descriptions and lists and cells for everything else.
The formula system might be good for systems which use derived stats, but if there's a way to then buy up that derived stat, it'll get messy too.
>>
>>85534047
Sailor Moon/BESM is easy to use.
>>
>>85533920
>>85533937
I'm familiar with PI, it isn't that, but thanks for looking out. I've used many systems and I'm largely confident I'm not retreading ground
>>
>>85534603
Then consider me very interested.
>>
File: goose statue sadness.jpg (158 KB, 1080x1195)
158 KB
158 KB JPG
Welp, I posted the OP image as the character sheet from my current campaign. Now Reeves is dead. All my progress, lost again...
>>
>>85534878
Tell us how he lived, not how he died.
But also tell us how he died...
>>
>>85534878
Maybe a wizard on a similar quest learns about him and invokes him to learn about all he went through and picks up where he left off?
>>
>>85504443
>it won't stop updating!
>>
File: index.jpg (11 KB, 318x158)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
>>85534878
Reeves had a good life. My PC on the other hand...
>>85534039
>life is a bear and then you get mauled
>>
>>85531915
just turn off your prefrontal cortex.
>>
>>85535588
>switch off impulse inhibition bro
>>
>>85534878
>fight a duel with a veiled champion with honor
Did he win
>>
>>85511005
Cypher and Strange combined have tons of both artifacts and aberrations and guides how to create custom ones.
Now that I think about it STALKER-like setting might be only good use for cypher system.
>>
>>85504443
>>85534878
>Find a way to change my face
I'm sensing a story here...
>>
has anyone created a “gm screen” specifically for solo? like have a layout of commonly used references for different things like a gm might have. Diffuculty levels, prices for common items, possible encounters in current location, rules, notes. would like to see a pic.
>>
>>85535677
yah, it makes things a lot easier.
>>
File: myscreen.pdf (1.58 MB, PDF)
1.58 MB
1.58 MB PDF
>>85537154
An anon posted this solo GM screen. It's for Mythic and UNE though, not an actual game.
>>
>>85538125
You can cut off Random Element Descriptors Table its useless, it just copy original Action and Descriptor tables.
made-mythic-generators-in-excel-anon
>>
>>85504754
>its fantasy bro, turn your brain off
Correct.
>>
File: 1657781592879.jpg (1.07 MB, 5000x2789)
1.07 MB
1.07 MB JPG
>>85534886
>>85535721
>>85536247
Reeves came from the Blue City. I literally got "Unsavory" as a character description for him, so I had to come up with something. I decided to make him a run away criminal- infamous for stealing the black dagger of the King. Because of how infamous and wanted he is, his character goal was to find a way to change his face.

He ended up working for a King of the Yak men, trying to stop a war between tribes of veil-wearing humans. After many adventures, he succeeded and got a tip about Elvish magic, which led to a dungeon. I auto-generated the dungeon and it turned out to be a giant tree, with images on the bark which showed your truest desires before you entered.

In the dungeon he had a close call with the ghosts of the Elves who grew it- more significant for this character then you'd think because of his low Spirit score- he finally found a magic item. I very carefully created a random table for this and he ended up getting a Chameleon Skin- acting as a magical cloak of invisibility. This was my first proper magic item and fit the character perfectly.

However on my next adventure trying to beat an insidious blood cult, he ended up with several bad rolls and his own companion betraying him. I couldn't imagine a fair way for him to escape with his life so I decided the character had to die. I've felt bummed ever since and lost a lot of motivation for solo roleplay since then- I don't want to just "cheat" the game but it still sucks to lose him so soon.
>>
>>85542190
Why not do a resurrection run?
>A witch doctor needs to revive Reeves for X
>>
>>85538125
Can you tell me what book the scene adjustment table is from?
>>
File: 304968.jpg (190 KB, 900x1200)
190 KB
190 KB JPG
Can anyone point me in the rough direction of where I could find Five Klicks from the Zone?
>>
>>85542956
>>>/tg/pdf+share+thread
You can search for it there. If you want to buy it, it's on wargamevault.com
>>
I fucked around with Starforged sector creation and enjoyed it quite a bit. Anybody got anything similar for something more straight fantastical? Ironsworn seems a bit tied to grimy muddy viking than the more traditional fantasy I'm looking for.
>>
>>85510178
Nice drawings anon, are you self taught? If so (or not), what would you recommend for learning to get better at drawing? I get that I need to at least draw often to get better, but any suggestions that'd help?
>>
hexhunt anon what exactly do I roll to do an action check, is it 2d6?
>>
>>85542190
>he ended up with several bad rolls and his own companion betraying him
Were these structured rolls, oracle rolls, or something in between?
>>
>>85534603
I hope you won't think I'm stepping on your toes, but I got so interested in the idea that I'm trying to make my own... by shamelessly stealing ideas from other games I tried.
It's still very confused in my head, but I'm thinking 9 scenes. Scene 3, 6 and 9 are Big Reveal scenes. Each scene before a Big Reveal that you succeed at the scene goal (related to the main plot) you get a -1 on the Level 3 of that Big Reveal. Level 3 is like a big plot twist or big obstacle. You learn about the plot in some negative way. The higher the level, the worst it is for the PC. If you need a scene to get health back or something, you can't lower the Reveal Level that scene.
Each scene would have an obstacle to your scene goal. On a miss you get another obstacle (the sound of the battle attracted an ogre, for example) or a new plot question (who was that masked man giving orders to the goblins from the shadows). On a success you get a plot answer (next location to go to, for example) or a future advantage (that magic dagger needed to kill the main henchman, for example).
Obstacles would be environmental or from other characters.
Maybe follow up obstacles should be related to the main plot always? At least to a PC goal. Escalation would mean it's related to the current scene goal, but it could also be related to a future goal coming up in another scene? Like your tracking dog gets wounded and you can't use him to track the henchman like you planned to do? So these obstacles would not require a test in this scene, but provide a minus something on a future test?
Plot answers could maybe be related to any of the 3 Big Reveal scenes, and not just the next one?
>>
Alright, I thought I'd share how I made a major new NPC faction in my ACKS borderlands game. I have no set way of doing NPCs other than investing more time in the rolls and creation for important ones and looking for a few descriptors for unimportant ones.
As this is going to be an NPC that moves part of the plot in the sandbox over time, I rolled a number of oracles beginning with generic to get a frame to work from.
>motif story engine style 5d6: powerful, unique, lawful, active, distance. result is: 3,2,5,3,1
the npc is middling in power and not surprising, very lawful, somewhat active and close to the center of the game
>(Reversed) The Prophet of the Eternal. Cowled, with lamp and staff, ageless.
I take this to mean the NPC is temporally focused on the material now
>(Reversed) Water: Memory. Remember (Forget). A restless night of uneasy dreams leads to action.
NPC doesn't care much about the past
>(Reversed) Air: Emperor. Authority (Tyranny). A crumbling throne, a dying line, a final heir.
NPC wields law for itself, with little regard how it crushes or hurts
>(Reversed) Water: Cross. Belief (Disbelief). The way only opens with sacrifice.
NPC is very non-religious, suspicious of human behavior and people
>Idiom: Act Of Congress: Hard to get, said of authorization
NPC is bureacratic and likes to limit his availability to increase his prestige
>Identity: Governor / Intelligence Agent
>Descriptor: True
>Traits: Private; Elated; Authoritative
>Goals: Depress Contraband; Prepare Pleasure; Support Affluence
these all fit with the above to give us an agent of the Auran Empire that represents all of its decadence: selfish, wields law brutally, hedonistic, attempts to raise his stature and money through his office. He's been assigned to the Borderlands to enforce better taxation on smuggled ancient elven goods plundered from sites belonging to the state
>>
>>85545167
Because the companion character I was with was a paid mercenary who only did one other job with me, and whose character descriptor was "strict", I figured she'd be ready to cut her losses in a bad spot. Considering the character already rescued Reeves once, the second time he got knocked out I rolled a d6 to see how likely she would be to try and patch his injuries again and got a 1, so I figured that meant she'd probably leave him and steal all his shit too.

From now on though I'd certainly use a more ordered system; probably a D&D esque loyalty score or perhaps a three strikes and your out kind of Trust system. That was your companions can't just 180 betray you because of one bad dice roll.
>>
>>85504443
Is this the final resting place for nogames?? What's the point? Sodoku is probably the best solitaire game. Perhaps freecell. How complex can the mechanics of a solitaire TTRPG be?
>>
File: flat,800x800,075,f.jpg (75 KB, 800x530)
75 KB
75 KB JPG
>>85534039
>>85535540
>finally get mauled by Elder Bear
>make a bargain with Death (it was it's a plan all along that I would "die" here and it's the reason I was lost in the first place)
>get new Vow from Death
>must forsake my current Vow because of the wording I used when making it (since I actually died... sort of)
>Face Desolation
>my sanity breaks
>Cursed and insane
>must make a noble sacrifice before my ending
>still lost in a forest full of bears
>not for long
>Elder Bear will have it's sacrifice
eat me up buttercup
>>
>>85545898
Solo players play more than anyone else on this board.
As for complexity, it's usually at least twice as complex as being a GM to a group while being a player in that group. But usually it's even more complex since solo isn't that good at playing published adventures, so you end up creating the adventure, and even the world, as well as playing and adjudicating.
Just so you know, solo goes back to at least 1975 D&D. It's not a new thing, it's just been rediscovered by non-GMs in the last 15 years.
>>
>>85543348
Someone did a homebrew for Starforged called Steelforged, I think it might be on a similar track to what you're looking for. I think it uses all the same rules but adds/changes a lot of new tables for fantasy generation.
>>
>>85545669
Rule of 3 is good for a lot of things. From how many 'chances' you get, to how many steps a plot thread has before being completed, etc.
>>
>>85543348
>>85546205
https://billiam.github.io/awesome-ironsworn/
Scroll down to Steelforged. Then download the pre-alpha version (it has pictures and is more complete than the 2 other ones).
>>
>>85545669
Maybe she's your next character? Whatever plot was going on, the bad guy think she's still trying to solve it even if she isn't. Reluctant heroine must now accept the call to adventure.
>>
>>85545669
>That was your companions can't just 180 betray you because of one bad dice roll.
The possibility of it can had suspense. Maybe roll a d6. On a 2-6 you tick one of the 3 chances. On a 1, you roll again and tick another chance, rerolling if you get another 1?
>>
File: Dream Dungeon.pdf (118 KB, PDF)
118 KB
118 KB PDF
>>85533336
>>85533348
Here's my play report with detailed mechanics.

>Game Mechanics
I will be using Mythic Game Master Emulator and Mythic Variations for game mechanics, and Dreamily (https://dreamily.ai), an AI Dungeon clone, for descriptions.

>Setting
You are playing as yourself. After you fall asleep in real life, you find yourself in a mysterious, semi-stable dungeon. Your mission is simply to find the exit. Legends tell that dreamers who die or remain trapped inside the Dream Dungeon die in real life. The advantage of this setting is that the expectations are low, and the AI can generate nonsense without breaking the sense of immersion.

I've played this scenario several times, and it's rare I can find the exit.
>>
>>85546357
*add*
I'm just really sleepy.
>>
>>85546357
Not anon but I use 2d6 or 3d6 for a very simple event table spread to keep tension. Middle results are standard, expected events in the situation while high numbers towards the edge are 'good' and unique, low numbers are bad and possibly catastrophic
Rolling 1,1,1 on 3d6 is still a 1 in 216 chance, which if you're running a lot of companions or henchmen is high (or low if running one and it's a sedate campaign)
>>
>>85538125
i was thinking more of a general gm screen rather than just gm emulator tools. at least to me, a lot of this seems too specific for general use at the detriment of other things. like degrees of challange, degrees of relivency, a section for continuing world factors, encounter tables, etc. but thats just imo.
>>
I've been Biviusing my way through my solo games by making lots of small choices bleeding into each other.
Example (for this example all 50/50 true answers are Option B/Negative):
Human/Not Human
Goblin/Ogre
Unaware/Attacking
Stout branch/Big axe
Rocky terrain between us/no obstacle
It's super quick and makes random tables almost superfluous.
>>
>>85546435
Not a screen, but geek gamers has a solo wallet full of generic tools.
>>
>>85546465
Forgot the link.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaCM-QQwBQA
>>
File: ethnicity table.jpg (2.28 MB, 3676x3228)
2.28 MB
2.28 MB JPG
I was told in the lewd thread that I should post my random ethnicity table over here as well, since there's nothing inherently lewd about it. I've had the data for it for a little while now, but I've just got the thing into a viewable form, so it's pretty much a beta version at this point. Questions or comments are welcome and appreciated.
>>
>>85546940
What's EuroAm on the right?
>>
>>85547400
The 4th line beneath the table gives the gist of each of the different dice methods. EuroAm is heavily weighted towards European and American results (66% of results are American or European regions, I believe). It's on the other side because things got too junky with 4 different methods on the left, and it interrupted the flow of the other methods (which go from more Asian to more Euro-American as you go from left to right), since I didn't want to stick it between the d20 numbering (which is also just counting up the regions by 1's) and the regions. It's also the most of a special situation kind of thing. Some of the others are a bit tilted towards Euro-American results, but only by degrees (and the default d20 method mostly just flattens things out a bit so that East and South Asia don't account for 43% of results by themselves... the distribution is a consistent slope rather than a parabolic arc). Why have different degrees of Euro-American bias at all? Because I live in America and that's what I, and most of the people I know, are most familiar with. You tell me that somebody is Scottish, and that means more to me than if you tell me somebody is Bangladeshi, even though the population of the latter is significantly higher than the former.
>>
File: cover-1-25.jpg (174 KB, 1287x1869)
174 KB
174 KB JPG
>>85546469
>GG in her book
>DO NOT THROW ON THE TABLE! DON'T ASK THE ORACLE! THIS LEADS TO A DEAD END!
>also GG
>bunch of cards with oracles
bitch please
>>
>>85548233
That's how you know they're an experienced solo-er
They know when to ask and when not to but do it all intuitively, outside of any normal structured rolls
>>
>>85545182
Nah you're not stepping on my toes, steal what you want. I think the solo RPG engine space is kind of dominated by literary-focused systems and there's still tons of room to explore other ways to procedurally create story in game.
Few interesting comments I have for your idea but these are just my ideas bouncing off yours
>scene to get health back
Love this, it's pretty much what I'm going for as well - scenes as a means to some mechanical benefit
>each scene has an obstacle to the scene goal
Not entirely a fan of this, particularly because I want my system to be more open-world/sandbox-ish, and not so much chapter-to-chapter. I want the chapter-to-chapter feeling to come from revisiting old areas but with new goals in mind, like retrospectively you could identify chapters, but not as you play, subtly forcing the player to progressively flesh out their world without them noticing because of the tunnel vision they develop towards their immediate goals
>obstacle rolls an plot answer on success
This too feels too railroady for me, I use locks and keys to represent branching narrative paths and requirements for exploring them, but the player still has a choice in what paths to explore, and can't explore all of them immediately, like dangling neat narrative twists but the player still needs to put in some legwork to see where it leads
>cont'd
>>
>>85545182
>obstacles would be environmental or come from NPCs
Like this idea too, my current idea is to have the player generate a feature/fact about the dungeon everytime they generate a room, and it would add a persistent -1 penalty to all of their rolls until they mitigate it. Like, if you're in some sort of war, it could be "bullets/arrows are constantly raining from above", so you would need to find cover to remove the -1 penalty, but then how is this driven mechanically, what determines when you've found cover or not - right now I'm thinking the player would roll to see which room has the cover they're looking for. There could be 1d10 rooms in a dungeon, so up to -10 penalties. They would act both as a way to have the player steer the course they take and give them a clear goal for what the character needs to do next. I'm likely going to change it though because with only 10 rooms, there isn't enough time to steer 10 different parts of the story in a satisfying way
>follow up obstacles related to the main plot
My idea right now is that most "long adventure" tropes seem to boil down to: "Character is Stranded, and wants to Return to a previous state, and gets Lost along the way", with lots of wild interpretations of what that means for the PC
>>
File: spit.gif (440 KB, 350x262)
440 KB
440 KB GIF
>>85549750
How do I know when to ask? I bought the book in PDF-thread to find this! And instead of an answer, I see 150 pages of dicks.
>I know how to use them, but you don't. Don't touch, not for you.
Do I need a bachelor's degree to play solo? WTF!
>>
Does anyone have this for dl?

https://iglootree.com/rocky-mountain-man-by-nate-hayden-215-p.asp
>>
>>85504443
Really wanting to play an amnesiac game where I roll for my character's race and stats and such as I play.
Might post about it if I try it.
>>
>>85549961
It’s hire simple: don’t be a slave to the tables, use them as inspiration.
>>
File deleted.
>>85504443
>HexHunt anon here
First adventure module is on its way, sort of as an introductory, and created using the gamerules.
It includes
>One city (Dimyr)
>Two towns/villages
>Two religious settlements
>17 points of interest
>3 dungeons
Let's fucking go!

Also, I'm looking for a software where I can create maps onto which I can overlay hexes, but I cannot seem to find one for Linux (as I'm doing all this on a 20USD PC.) If not, I'll be using this hand-drawing.
>>
File: Map.jpg (320 KB, 1363x2048)
320 KB
320 KB JPG
>>85553142
here's the hand-drawn map
>>
>>85553142
>>85543651
>>
>>85543651
#Action check
You want to do something, such as swinging your sword at an enemy, or trying to focus on listening for footsteps in the dungeon, trying to solve a puzzle, or casting a spell, etc.
>roll a d6 and add the related CHAMO
>>
>>85543651
>>85553231
#reaction check
you want to react to something (such as trying to hold on to something, while falling down)
>roll a d6

both for action and reaction checks
compare the result with your related attribute score. (Body, Mind, Soul)
equal = full success
above = partial success (in most cases, same as above)
below = failure
>>
>>85553231
>>85553255
Thanks I don't think that's in the copy I have
>>
File: images.jpg (8 KB, 200x200)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
>>85504443
Does anyone know any solo rpgs with X-Com vibes? Secret organization fighting against a global conspiracy sort of thing?
>>
File: Hexhunt Alpha.pdf (3.81 MB, PDF)
3.81 MB
3.81 MB PDF
>>85553557
Maybe I'm too much tunnel-visioned in the process that I forgot to include it in the rules. But I feel like I've included it in the latest version.
So, just in case, here it is, anon. (it should be in the introduction chapter)

>Hexagonal dungeons
Also, I'm creating the dungeons for the Dimyr adventure module for Hexhunt, and I'd like to ask you how you feel about the hexagonal grid on the dungeons
1. Keep the shape of the dungeons hexagonal
2. Keep the grid hexagonal but draw straight lines, and not hexagonal lines.
>>
>>85553701
That's the one I have and I couldn't find mention of using 1d6 for checks
>action check: a roll to see if any action your character attempts succeeds or not, such as attacking an opponent, or convincing someone. Your CHAMO is added to action checks. Must be equal or above to succeed.
>reaction check: a roll to see if your character’s reaction succeeds or not. Such as, trying to avoid a fall from a roof. Your CHAMO is not added. Must be equal or above to succeed.
Partial successes are not explained either.
>>
>>85553802
Yeah, I guess I assumed. I guess I need a better-developed introduction explaining basic mechanics. Thanks for the feedback, anon, I'll make sure to make it clear in version 1.0
>>
>>85553619
five parsecs from home mashuped with other five X from Y
Or do you need something spyish and bondish?
>>
>>85553840
Was looking for something with a more 'Base buildy/researchy/uncover the truth' feel. Thought the 5 X from Y series would make a good base to include a skirmish element.
>>
>>85553802
Just did this for you, anon.
>>
>>85554864
Fixed a typo about the use of powers
>>
>>85549961
Paying for solo... I'll sound lie a fag, but the whole trying to make money out of solo trend is tainting the hobby for me. Mythic and Scarlet Heroes might be an exception to this, but most games/tools are not as good or as long and you feel the desperation for money of the ones that don't have a free or pay what you want version.
That being said, the oracle rolls need experience. You can read/watch tons of actual plays and get some good tips out of them, but tips don't mean shit when you're playing. You just need to use them and find your own groove with time and experience like when you started to play rpgs. You weren't good at the start. Solo isn't just a new set of homebrew rules for your rpg, it's basically a new way of playing that you have to learn from experience.
As someone who read and wrote all I could about solo and oracles before starting to play, I tell you a few hours of play were more useful in teaching me what to do and what not to do than months of prep time.
>>
>>85553142
The quick reference sheet is a good idea. I can print it and use the pdf of the game when needed.
>>
>>85549764
>>85549776
I'm still thinking about it and to make something that is both narrative and still very much a game, maybe instead of an obstacle to a goal each scene, you could get:
1. Obstacle (Physical, Mental or Emotional. From NPCs or the Environment. Not sure what an Emotional Environment Obstacle could be...)
2. Potential Side Quest (you can refuse the call)
3. Obligatory Side Quest (you're thrown head first into it)
4. Plot Thread Related Side Quest
5. Recuperation/Healing/Relationships/etc. Get an advantage, some points back in a stat, an ally, go shopping for a new sword, etc.
The more I think about it, the more I feel other games and tools already do this and I should just make a Frankenstein Monster out of the rules that appeal to me from all of them.
>>
File: 1427027737473.pdf (1.06 MB, PDF)
1.06 MB
1.06 MB PDF
>>85549961
Download CRGE, it's free and is the best (yes, even better than Mythic) at explaining HOW to ask questions and what type of question to ask.
Or don't download it. I have it somewhere.
Page 8 and 9, if I recall, are very informative.
>>
>>85556265
Zach Best did very good work
>>
>>85555710
You're a champ
>>85555936
>the whole trying to make money out of solo trend is tainting the hobby for me
Based, keep it homebrew lads. Sharing is caring.
>>
>>85549764
>>85549776
>>85556216
Back to the drawing board. I realized that everything I was coming up with lacked player agency. I don't want something that would make my PC some reacting force that needs to go through the motions just because plot reasons.
Maybe I should make the motivation the main focus and on X roll it comes into play in a scene in some way like for random events (motivation, not goals)? It would make the introduction of obstacles, encounters and side quests more organic to the PC and most of the events thematically related to them in some way.
If Conar the Barban has the motivation of Revenge and Freedom Is Le Good and rolls X during a cave exploration scene, maybe he finds a Sweet Sword of Revenching. If he rolls X in the forest, maybe he stumble on some slaver punks and decide to find a way to free their captives.
I could also use some Adventure Theme for a similar effect if I want events that aren't tied to the PC's motivation.
Or not. The more I try to create something, the worst it gets.
I could just ask an oracle question to get the same effect.
As for follow up events to keep a story going, GM Moves from PbtA or even One Page Solo Engine would do that quite nicely and would be easier to use than some convoluted scene creation /adventure tracking process.
>>
>>85556216
When it's that light, yeah. You probably can get away with a custom oracle, but oracles don't provide narrative structure, they provide direction.

I'm taking a page out of Ironsworn and toying with the idea of B/X+Pbta rules. Dislike Pbta for multiplayer, but for solo it seems really elegant

I.e. "Make an example": Use this action after or during combat when you 1) have an audience or multiple enemies, 2) your enemy refuses to back down, and 3) you have defeated their leader. Tell them (or show them) what happens when they don't heed your warnings, then roll+CHA-Humiliation. On success, choose 1 based on how brutal you were (blah blah), then gain 1 Bloodthirsty. On failure, your efforts only served to humiliate you. Gain 2 Humiliation with this faction/region, then roll a negative reaction. Continue combat with a -1 penalty.

Something like that
>>
>>85557129
>Or not. The more I try to create something, the worst it gets.
>I could just ask an oracle question to get the same effect.
>As for follow up events to keep a story going, GM Moves from PbtA or even One Page Solo Engine would do that quite nicely and would be easier to use than some convoluted scene creation /adventure tracking process.
Holy shit, you and I are of the same mind. Bit of motivation for you - like I mentioned, the reason I'm doing this is because oracles require the player to already be a good storyteller in advance. Just read the above posts on how you need to 'git gud' with Mythic to extract the most value out of it - I want to avoid that. Use this system, make choices, and the story will just happen. And yeah, 100% agree that PbtA style moves work very well, but there is no common collection of moves that work well for solo play. Ironsworn has a ton, but are very specific to the kind of play Ironsworn tries to create.
>>
File: изображение.png (194 KB, 750x723)
194 KB
194 KB PNG
>>85556265
>is he a Luke's father?
vs
>is he human?

I sort of agree, but if there is at least one no to any question of "dancing", then it will not be such a dull Indian drama as in the original (and Leia can be fucked)
>>
I’m gonna go play the old Fighting Fantasy “House of Hell” gamebook for the first time! I’m expecting it to e pretty infuriating!
>>
Scenes seem weird as hell to me, am I just thinking about them wrong? They seem so tightly constrained and disconnected from each other.
>>
I’ve got an idea for a solo game system, curious to see what you all think.

It’s basically a survival game based almost entirely on inventory. The idea is that your character (and possibly several others) are alone in a life-threatening situation. The scenarios can be historical, contemporary, sci-fi, or fantasy. But I think they would broadly fall into three basic categories:

>Expedition
You are on a mission to traverse a dangerous and uncharted land. Examples include: an early expedition to the South Pole, a mission in a fantasy world to locate a safe passage through dangerous mountains, or exploring a mysterious newly-discovered planet.

>Stranded
You have been stranded in a strange land, and are waiting to be rescued or escape. Examples include: being shipwrecked on a deserted island, crash landing on an alien planet, or accidentally stepping through a portal and being transported to a dark “otherworld”.

>Trapped
You are stuck somewhere and unable to leave for a certain amount of time. Examples include: being stuck in a fallout shelter following nuclear armageddon, being cast adrift on a life raft, or being trapped in a disabled spaceship floating through the void.

You start off by making a list of supplies you want to bring with you (let’s say 20 of them for instance, but it may vary based on the scenario), and five (or so) characters who each have something they specialize in (ie. soldier, scientist, mechanic, hunter, whatever). These items and characters can be absolutely ANYTHING you can think of, as long as they fit the setting.
>>
>>85559939
Then, you would roll dice and consult a large table to determine what sorts of events happen. The descriptions would all be a bit vague and open to interpretation, like “attacked by a creature” might mean different things depending on the setting: a wild boar, a giant mutant rat, a sea monster, an alien life form, etc. Or “machinery breaks” could potentially mean: your life support systems start to fail, the rudder of your ship breaks, your wagon axle cracks, etc.

Depending on what items or characters you have, you may be able to fix the problem. For instance a gun might allow you to fend off a hostile creature, or a carpenter character might be able to fix a broken rudder. There likely would be some other game mechanics to determine how successful you are against any given challenge.

There should be a lot of room for creative solutions and interpretations, and I think it would be well-suited for journaling .

Even though this post is all pretty long now, I think it might still seem a little vague, but I’m just throwing out the concept to see if it sounds like it has potential, or if you have any advice.

Thoughts?
>>
>>85559132
Do you mean the scene thing in Mythic?
>>
>>85559132
1. Make scenes bigger. Another building / another day, instead of another room / another hour
2. Mythic? Block the chaos for 3-6
3. Use less random oracles. Simple yes-no instead of yes-but-no-and
4. Have more control over the scene - ask relevant questions and assume the rest. If you just want to buy potions from the only herbalist in the village, then maybe you should not turn on the parranoia and find out if he hides a corpse under the floor? Let him remain a village herbalist.
5. BTW weird is cool

in general, quoting the blue Mythic, play from the context and logic.
>>
Do you guys write for these games, or just theatre of the mind/minor notes? The idea of needing to do like, a chapter for each session sounds like work, but intense daydreaming seems fun (if a little weird).
>>
>>85559955
This sounds really vague and the way I read it seems a little aimless, but there's not a lot of info to go off of. What is stopping a player from generating every piece of equipment they will need upfront? A crowbar, a rope, a flashlight/torch, some rations, a knife, binoculars, a compass, a clock, a backpack. That's 9 items and can handle pretty much most survival situations. What is stopping the player from interpreting the prompts in ways that benefit them, it doesn't seem like there's ever a way to be unprepared? Why do I need the other NPCs? If we each have 1 profession, can't I just be a survivalist and call it there? If I do need NPCs, what are the rules for interacting with them? Can't any item fend off a hostile creature if use it the right way?

I would say it's probably better to focus on a single theme or type of survival so you can make the rules a bit more clear?

>>85560647
Character sheet to track who you are + what you have. Minor cliffnotes of what happened over the session
>>
>>85560647
I write what happens. No mechanics or dice rolls, only events based on those two.
>>
>>85560647
I write out scenes sometimes, sometimes I just do theater of the mind and jot down notes as I go.
>>
>>85560647
I write probably too much, but I kind of only solo in two modes: getting into the mentality of my characters and writing fetish content, or being a massive faggort and using it as a vehicle for self insert romance.
I wish I could get into a solo experience that's just buttkicking and light journaling but will invariably find some female npc that does something cool with the dice and then I slide over. That said I've utterly failed to get into anything I've tried in the past couple months.
>>
File: 00098969.png (107 KB, 274x411)
107 KB
107 KB PNG
>think of a cool setting I want to play
>create a character for that setting
>prepare to play an entire campaign in it
>get hyped
>play one adventure
>have an idea for a better setting
>lose interest in the other game
>repeat
>>
File: lady forest path goodart.jpg (610 KB, 2000x1309)
610 KB
610 KB JPG
>>85561958
>Not beginning your adventure and character as mostly blank slates and worldbuilding/character building as you slowly explore and expand the world so your new ideas have room to be inserted seemlessly
>not starting with one town, one dungeon, and one NPC
ngmi
>>
File: SoloRPStoryTime.png (43 KB, 744x472)
43 KB
43 KB PNG
>>85560647
I probably write too much.
But I do try to write stories for a living.
>>
File: _172.png (87 KB, 640x480)
87 KB
87 KB PNG
Are there any GURPS solo adventures/cyoa? I need something to do, or else...
>>
>>85562373
just take any module or solo adventure and run it in gurps
Avalon has a dope campaign length D&D adventure that's like semi-cyoa, as it has a lot of outcomes from various interactions (and different ways of approach) written out
It has hex crawl stuff for a region and a plot about restoring a young queen to her throne, with branching outcomes
It's pretty big though
>>
>>85562045
Writing a fanfic and playing a game are two different things
>>
>>85562045
I think my most written campaign came out at 330k words when I stopped
>>
>>85508393
Whatever it is, it's positively ridiculous. It just means you need to work on meshing your character and setting better but one should inform the other. Creating a character after the world is dull.
>>
>>85553142
Do you just want to draw a hex grid on top of a map you've drawn?
>>
>>85553142
You can make a hex grid in gimp using the mosaic filter. Here's a blog post with instructions that sound correct from my memory: http://spriggans-den.com/2019/05/01/turning-any-map-into-a-hex-map-with-gimp/
>>
>>85562863
The author is not a fan of brevity
>>
File: map_37x48-hexed.png (1.25 MB, 2660x3010)
1.25 MB
1.25 MB PNG
>>85563351
>>85563351
yeah, I did, but it looks a bit wonky.

>>85563376
thanks, anon. I've found a way to do it. Dungeon Scrawl + HEXGRID
picrel is the result; first dungeon in the 'Demons of Dimyr' adventure module
>>
>>85561911
>fetish content
>self insert romance
But those are the same thing.
>>
File: donjuan.png (288 KB, 598x623)
288 KB
288 KB PNG
>>85563795
For a more "flowing" gameplay, I decided to use more coherent dungeons in the adventure modules I try. I use a random dungeon generator and then weave it into the module --as the main focus is the hexcrawl map in this module and dungeons are just basic 1-2 level things.

Started numbering them. 1-3 levels should be enough, no?
>picrel ground level of a mine
>>
>>85564899
>>85563795
This shit is too short and linear to be a dungeon. looks more like basements of houses.
>>
File: Warlock_03.pdf (5.17 MB, PDF)
5.17 MB
5.17 MB PDF
>>85558605
I've played the book and the Warlock original version (pdf related).
Still my favorite FF book of them all.
>>
>>85559132
You are. But so did I. Scenes should be a lot more freeform and should be based on what happened before, not come out of nowhere with some random roll.
It's mostly about splitting your game into time chunks/locations. Mostly for ease of pick up and play and for any solo engine that has scene mechanics.
Think of it this way:
Scenes are based on where you are and what you're trying to do. It doesn't have to be epic. You're looking for an inn. That's a worthy "goal" for a scene. Most solo engine would make you test against your idea to see if it is interrupted or if there is an obstacle (doesn't have to be an obstacle to your goal, it can be something that makes you postpone what you were trying to do. maybe there's a festival going on in the streets. Would you ask around what it,s about or will you ignore it and still look for that inn?).
Even solo engines that makes you roll for scene setup kind of imply that it's about stumbling onto the unexpected while trying to do your own thing in the scene.
If you see it in a GM/Player way, the Players say "We go into town and take a room in an inn fr the night." The GM says:" Yes, but... unexpected situation happens. What do now?"
The worst idea is trying to make every scene epic and main plot related. Sometimes you just need a filler scene and there is always a chance of something weird happening anyway.
>>
>>85560647
Theatre of the mind is the best for me, writing it out feels very disconnected. I love to read, but I guess I'm not a writer at heart. I see things like a movie in my head, not in words. Good for reading, not so much when it comes to writing it out.
On the other hand, a lot of writers, I'm told, play things out in their heads before writing them out, so... I guess it's not that weird? I'm just lacking in the last step of the process.
I use bullet points for important notes. Keywords are my friends for everything else.
As long as I don't wait 2 months between sessions, I have no recall problem with my games.
>>
>>85562735
>tfw my non-sexual fetish fanfics that I love to read are the ones where the characters play a ttrpg at some point
>>
>>85559132
What solo engine are you using?
Constrained? Why? Logic and what is expected should be the norm and everything else is something that can modify this logic/expected idea.
If you like to randomize everything and you're using random tables, maybe take a few results from the table that make logical sense and roll on these alone instead of on the whole table when 'creating' the scene.
Disconnected? That's the Player's job to explain what he does and where he goes 90% of the time. You're playing from the GM's side too much, maybe?
>>
>>85559132
>>85567304
>>85567717
It's also a good idea to have lists of NPCs and Plot Threads (like in Mythic) to roll on when a random event happens. It makes things feel a lot less... well, random. It's a good way to connect scenes together in a non-location way.
>>
>>85545898
If you pretend it's a GM advice thread it's less weird. I bullied 'em too at first.

QsOTD: Ever since I started printing character sheets on cardstock I can't go back.
>>
>>85567941
>If you pretend it's a GM advice thread it's less weird.
You're weird.
But a lot of us are also GMs and use our solo tools in our regular games, so...
To be perfectly honest, solo has made me more happy because I only play social games with people I want to play with now, so I don't have to put up with weird ass aggro randos on the internet just so I can have a game going. That fucking shit made me almost hate ttrpgs at some point.
>>
>>85545898
But I'm in two games right now, and a third soon?
>>
File: 2.png (2.9 MB, 4096x2900)
2.9 MB
2.9 MB PNG
>>85567196
That's the "entrance" --
here's the next level, it expands as it goes down levels
>>
>>85568582
Nta but its still linear. If all the corridors were the same width and you removed the double connections it would practically be a straight line
>>
>>85568582
Picrel is from >>85563478
>>
File: map_51x42.png (959 KB, 3570x2939)
959 KB
959 KB PNG
>>85568804
>>85568582
Shit forgot the pic
>>
>>85568831
I see what you're saying. and I think you're right; but my main focus in this is a hexcrawl, and I just wanted to add a "teaser" dungeon. a very basic one. Wouldn't a multi-level "basic" dungeon suffice for a map like >>85553152 ?

It's not the main focus in the module

>>85568831
that'd be too elaborate for my purpose (as I have three types of modules planned. Seasonal, episode, and dungeon.) although, this looks perfect for a "dungeon" adventure module
>>
>>85567229
>The House of Hell
>page 13
well played
>>
File: 123.png (498 KB, 788x762)
498 KB
498 KB PNG
>>85569045
> I just wanted to add a "teaser" dungeon. a very basic one.
>It's not the main focus in the module
Bro, don't get me wrong, but it's more like a square cave, it doesn't even look like a dungeon it doesn't even look like it was made by human I can't even tell if it's 1 room, 2 or 3

Look at Tome of Adventure Design dungeon generators it is also completely random, but there are rules to make it look like a single structure

And, for God's sake, you make a module, like MAKE, like TEASER, to SHOW what you are capable of as author and generators as generators. Maybe take a different approach? And if the generators cant generate, then make your alpha a little betaer?
>>
Anon, are there any Savage World players? How well will a single standard character handle situations?
>>
>>85571018
ive played it once, and i did like it, exploding dice are fun. though i found the multiple roles required in the “to hit” phase annoying. i changed to a different system after. not bad, but there are some niggles.
>>
What do you guys use for generating dungeons?
>>
>>85573270
Most OSR modules come with a dungeon generator
>>
>>85571018
Figure out what your odds of success are when designing encounters. There's a calculator here:
https://nicolas-van.github.io/sw_stats/
Also look up the probabilities for exploding dice for damage rolls/Toughness scores. The average total is roughly 0.5 higher than a non-exploding die.
That will help you balance the game better instead of ignoring the odds and dumping on more Bennies as the book suggests.
>>
Anyone played the Fighting Fantasy fan stories on http://www.ffproject.com/ ?

And if so, which ones would you recommend?

(Side note: Imagine my surprise when I saw that there’s a brand new story by the famously odd writer Ulysses Ai, which just came out. Pic related)
>>
>>85574212
If you're gonna shill your shit, at least use a trip
>>
>>85542653
Mythic Magazine 2
>>
>>85574212
Just play Troika! like solo rpg
>>
>>85574274
Lol I'm not. Apparently it came out back in May and I haven't even read it yet. It might suck, and its definately

Honestly his other stuff I read was way too random and trial-and-error. But there's not many new gamebooks and beggars cant be choosers

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.