[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

this was the last thread
>>85475845

>Which of your games are most fun for debrief sessions with friends after playing?

>Have you ever written a review of a game? Which one? What compelled you? Post it here?

>What game have you been dying to talk someone's ear off about?
>>
>>85504052
First for TI4 is underwhelming
>>
File: 3x1sp9ok06p41.jpg (97 KB, 520x600)
97 KB
97 KB JPG
>there are "people" in this very thread that don't sleeve
>>
I really enjoy Ruins of Arnak. I normally don't like "multiplayer solitaire" Euros, but this one is especially fun for some reason.

Anything similar I might look at? Euros kind of blend together when I try to look for one.
>>
>>85504302
Why would you sleeve everything? I sleeved my KDM and I sleeve things like blood bowl team manager, ffg fury of dracula and OOP games like that. I also sleeve coup because it is like 15 cards to keep the cards from being marked and easy to tell what it is.
Why the fuck would I sleeve the sheriff of nottingham or viticulture?
>>
>>85504386
>>85504302
I can't shuffle for shit. I sleeve because it's the only way I can shuffle shit.
>>
>>85504052
I missed GenCon again this year, bros. I told myself for like the last five years I was gonna make it to GenCon one day, but I just can't time it right with how shit's been going lately. Hope someone has fun and reports back here for those that couldn't go. Does anyone know if Adam Poots came back? I really want to visit the KDM team at GenCon, but it feels increasingly like I missed out on that era of boardgames...
>>
>>85504302
I have a lot of games like Coup that print their cards in these weird dimensions that won't fit in a standard sleeve.
>>
File: Acx_cover1.jpg (41 KB, 256x440)
41 KB
41 KB JPG
>>85504461
I never go and usually don't care, but I hear that aerodrome is worth keeping an eye on if you like x-wing, skirmish games, or air-to-air combat.
>>
>>85504500
Sleeves come in many different sizes anon.
>>
>>85504052
What's the cheapest option to proxy cards? I have a printer. I can get 63.5x88 sleeves at $9.50 for 440. Question is the cards itself. I see a bundle on amazon of 300 lands for $20 or 500 for $30
>>
>>85504395
This. Do you have hitchhiker's thumb as well?
>>
File: untitled.jpg (13 KB, 322x170)
13 KB
13 KB JPG
>>85504302
>small collection
>make an excel with every game, sleeve size and amount of cards
>start sleeving all of my games
>keep buying games
>getting lazy to continue my excel
>keep buying games
>keep buying games
>keep buying games
>keep buying games
>keep buying games
>lost track by now
>have to start from zero to see how many sleeves I would need
I'm autistic so the excel was sorted by sleeve size and then name and then the expansions in between. It's easier to make a new one rather than keep adding everything I bought. I will sleeve everything eventually
>>
God damn Clank's box is fucking HUGE. Was thinking of buying it but I don't want to have that shit wasting so much space.
>>
Well, I played Almoravid and I feel very mixed. Everything about the logistics and levying is fantastic. But combat just ground everything to a halt and bored me to tears. I already have a trade lined up for Pax Pamir in exchange, and I think I'm gonna pull the trigger.
>>
>>85505143
the gulag is actually useful for this sort of thing. At the bottom of every game page there's a link to a mega thread where autists will list the size and amount of cards in each game, along with what sleeves will fit.
>>
>>85505479
I use sleeveyourgames.com, you just have to search one by one
>>
>>85505104
Found a 1000+ bundle for $20, so far the best option
>>
>>85505478
>Almoravid or Pax Pamir
It's a no-brainer.
You'll have waaay more fun with Pamir than with a Camp&Levy game.
>>
>>85505682
How can they even ship 1000 cards at that price?
>>
>>85505682
Post link
>>
https://youtu.be/nCymQUtgSSo
in person play of Ahoy
>>
>>85505478
don't fall for the GMT meme, cole makes much better games
>>
>>85505109
I have hitchhikers thumb and i have no issue shuffling without sleeves. Hindu shuffle might be the most usual technique for me. I have also learned to do a super gentle riffle shuffle.
>>
>>85504267
that can't be true. most of the people i play with are overwhelmed by TI4
>>
File: 1643219264745.jpg (182 KB, 800x312)
182 KB
182 KB JPG
I'm getting some board shorts. I figured you faggots would want to know since you're so interested in what I wear
>>
>>85504461
No Poots skips gencon this year again. He got pressured to finally put the pencil down for gambler chest. Just in time to get fucked by the china-us war. So gambler’s chest never
>>
>>85505863
A lot of trash/useless commons that most likely buy at $0.01from people selling boosters or collections
>>85506027
https://a.co/d/c43ij5F
>>
>>85507053
Make sure they have lots of extra pockets for all your blogging gear
>>
>>85504302
The only game I have Sleeved is Dune and that's just because I have both recent versions of it(the 4 player and 6 player) and I got coloured sleeves so I can potentially mix the games together as my friends like playing the 4 player version and we want to see how fucked up it gets with six factions.

Also I have Tapestry and Space Base sleeved but that's because I got Tapestry that way and the Big Command Box for Space Base had sleeves and I didn't want them to go to waste.
>>
>>85504302
what are some good protectors? what's the average price range on them?
>>
>>85509425
https://a.co/3UnUgdZ
Not the best but good enough price wise. You have to pay for shipping though
>>
File: triforce.jpg (23 KB, 600x333)
23 KB
23 KB JPG
>>85504395
I'm a croupier. I can shuffle without sleeves, and so can you. Watch a 3 minute YT video that explains it.
>>
File: 1647745139876.gif (2.4 MB, 540x496)
2.4 MB
2.4 MB GIF
I asked a couple threads ago and got no response, any cryptid themed games that are cool or fun?

Whether hunting or playing as them, I just want some cool cryptid themed shit.
>>
>>85507053
This might just be the boomerest post to ever grace /bgg/. Between the boomer "humor" pic, the bloggy text and spelling out the word fags, the whole package is just the how do you do fellow kids scene in a /bgg/ post form.
>>
>>85509425
Dragon shield matte are the best. They protect the cards and are pleasant to hold and shuffle.

Anything that you wouldn’t be willing to sleeve in a dragon shield is not worth sleeving.
>>
File: 1562226530855.gif (3.83 MB, 718x404)
3.83 MB
3.83 MB GIF
>>85509236
>I have Tapestry
That's like saying you got an STD.
I can't think of a worse game design.
Tapestry is a masterclass in how not to design games.
>>
>>85509912
Is the dragon shield matte sleeves only matte on the colored back?
Or is the transparent part matte as well to reduce glaring?
>>
>>85509912
I like UG Katanas better than Dragon Shields
>>
>>85509912
I use penny sleeves on everything. If those are insufficient protection then you need to learn how to handle cards.
>>
>>85509543
Different anon. I have awful dexterity skills. Awful, below average. I can't shuffle cards without ruining them if they are unsleeved :(
>>
>>85510099
>I have what my old music teacher mrs mellinger called "stupid hands"
also pls nevr touch mah games
>>
>>85510170
Mrs Mellinger thought you were a complete retard, just couldn't say that to your face.
>>
>>85510099
Learn how2 faro, it's a harmless version of riffling
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0yO2n8x_DI
>>
bullet heart or bullet star?
already made my mind up on grabbing one but I can't decide which
>>
>>85507115
>So gambler’s chest never
Please say psych. I have wanted the second core very very badly for so long.
>>
>>85506949
Brainlets I say.

Seriously its not a complex game it just takes time to play out. Make you friends play old timey hex and counter games. Then they will understand.
>>
>>85510518
H&C wargames are the definition of high complexity low depth. Wargames only got good thanks to our glowie lords Volko and Herman (pbuh) and their card driven mechanisms
>>
>>85510673
Space Empires 4X would like a word with you anon
>>
>>85504052
How good is the Tuscany expansion for Viticulture? Worth a buy at 20% off?
>>
>>85510800
it replaces visitor cards that don't award VPs. it does not solve the problem that visitor card rng are more powerful than worker placement spaces. if you haven't discovered this yet it's supposed to solve a problem with mainlining visitors and does not solve that problem. it really doesn't change anything else about the game.
>>
>>85510745
>an awkward attempt to create a 4X videogame adaptation
>game turns out so fucking boring that they have to make whole other game just for tactical skirmishes
Not that your example is even relevant the damn game was released in 2011, it's not a boomer wargame
>>
>>85511146
it's a rules-simple Hex & Counter wargame with a lot of depth. why would it not be relevant?
also it's not boring without Talon
>>
>>85511260
The only depth it offers is when it puts you into a deep slumber.
>>
File: 1510760958717.gif (506 KB, 273x335)
506 KB
506 KB GIF
>Buy Oriflamme and Not Alone to play with my gf and my family
>Have a blast
Simple as
>>
>>85504302
I've only sleeved my lord of the rings collection, after several years of playing without.

It's just become too valuable not to pay another 20% in protection.
>>
>>85510504
it doesn't matter so pick the one whose characters you like. also consult the OSTs on L99's bandcamp
https://level99games.bandcamp.com/album/bullet-heart-original-game-soundtrack
https://level99games.bandcamp.com/album/bullet-star-original-game-soundtrack

for me personally the overall winner is heart, though star has more interesting characters (such as YNN and Memory) but doesn't win on the overall because some characters are worse than meh (like the chef girl) while heart's worst character is only meh (the wheelchair push ghost) and it doesn't have any characters i actively dislike
>>
>>85504364
Arnak is a buffet game, with many mechanics mashed together is a satifying way.

You could focus on what you like about it, or get another buffet game like Gloomhaven Jaws of the Lion.
>>
>>85509425
I like Titans for my LCGs like Lord of the rings, they's textured on the back, but transpatent. About 10britpennies for 150. Or 10% off ordering direct.

Gamegenic(?) are the same thickness (100mics), but clear both side so they're good for doublesided cards. Similar price but 200.
>>
>>85510509
Just chill anon. It'll arrive eventually; but every time you think about how long we have to wait, Poots is suddenly compelled to add another card, get some art redone, scrap a model and start over... or maybe all three of those things. It'll get here when it gets here!
>>
>>85511260
Love me some SE4x.

I think talon came out of the designer's original game of SE in his basement days. It was too long and complicated so things got stripped down to SE4x, then bits added back in with the expansions.

I think it has the right level of combat for a 4x. Better than the Sid Meier efforts from FFG anyway.
>>
>>85510072
thicker cards are better for shuffling, but only if you're a fucking basket case when it comes to shuffling, and your fat gland hands just sort of mash two piles together, and then have to take a rest, because once is not a shuffle.
>>
Dear burgers, can we trade Splottershit for GMT? I'll even throw the suprisingly based CGE into the mix. I am tired of having to pay 40 euros for shipping alone.
>>
>Sex is so good they made SEXXXX
boardgame chads i kneel
>>
>>85512102
Have you played SE4x using Talon for combat? I'm curious how much longer it would make a 2 player game
>>
thoughts on five tribes?
>>
>>85510673
>H&C wargames are the definition of high complexity low depth.
I know, thats why its a punishment, it will male them appreciate modern game design. Also yes, CDGs are better the H&C. Ive played Here I stand and Virgin Queen and those are excellent, if clunky and a little obtuse sometimes.
>>
>>85512543
Since you've played both HIS and VQ, which one would you recommend over the other? I've heard VQ called an overly clunky version of HIS that 90% ends because someone misinterpreted a rule and got shafted.
>>
>>85506949
You and the people you play with need to play more and better games. Then TI4 shifts from being overwhelming to underwhelming.
>>
>>85509201
You too
>>
>>85509885
/bgg/ made the pic, moron, the whole one line of text is blogging?nand you are a FAGGOT. I'm not apologizing for ur ignorance. gb2 reddit
>>
>>85512194
No, and I don't think I ever want to be that far through the looking glass.

Playing a tactics game to resolve a system in a strategy game is a lot of nergasm.
>>
File: 1639206906927.jpg (16 KB, 243x231)
16 KB
16 KB JPG
>>85510504
i want to buy bullet heart, but i can't seem to find it anywhere in europe
lvl99games are really hard to get, it took me years to find a copy of millennium blades
>>
how terrible an idea is it to do a group pledge for Bloodstones to flip extra copies for a profit from FOMOs and maybe give one to friends as a holiday gift?
>>
>>85504302
Some games barely get a shuffle I when I take the cards out of the box. Why would I sleeve them?

Alos Radlands cards a nigh ideustracbale.
>>
>>85509694
Cryptid or Cryptid: Urban Legends
>>
From now on when you post a photo of your game night to /bgg, ensure your pants are in the frame.
>>
>>85510673
Based. There’s a reason why the only good hex and counter wargame is Combat Commander and that’s because it’s actually a card game.
>>
>>85512963
>i want to buy bullet heart, but i can't seem to find it anywhere in europe
I know that feel buddy. At least we can suffer together
>>
Oh boy, I wonder what came in the mail today?
>>
>>85513841
Dragon dildos
>>
>>85513841
Dragondildoes, sakura arms, ankh, and spirit island.
With a side order of bullet and the latest root expansions.
>>
>>85513841
Huh… I don’t remember ordering either one of these…
>>
>>85513921
Hey, don't know if anyone told you this, but this is /bgg/, might want to keep your shitposting on topic next time.
>>
>>85513921
That dice game was the absolutely worst part of an already boring and shit game.
>>
File: 1642541196881.jpg (144 KB, 720x1108)
144 KB
144 KB JPG
>>85513921
I've never been disappointed in a whats in the box until now
>>
>In my experience the best player wins, not the luckiest, talk to Stephen Hurn about this. I've played it numerous times with him and I don't think he has won a game yet. The game is actually more about where you position your forces and villages, not simply about fighting battles.
god Martin Wallace is so based
>>
>>85513973
Fine, I'll order Kemet at last. This thread's general taste hasn't disappointed me yet. Which version/expansions should I get and should I use everything inside them?
>>
>>85512668
I remember liking Virgin Queen more because the Ottomans were more fun in that one. Not sure about getting shafted. Played it like twice and I don't think that happened.
>>
>>85515014
>This thread's general taste hasn't disappointed me yet.
What would you say is /bggs general taste?
>>
>>85515189
Eclipse
>>
>>85515190
>>
>>85515014
Just get the latest version, blood and sand. It’s the easiest to acquire and it comes with the original base game plus the best part of the first expansion.
>>
Hoping someone can help me find games with this element or at least give me the name of there is one.

It's the idea of having a budget at game start which is used to determine your abilities/traits/resources/etc. The best example I can think of is level 7 omega protocol- space marine players choose their starting kit but taking whatever items they want for values ranging from 1 to 3 up to a total kit value of 6 (details might be off but u get the point).

Some examples of what I'm NOT talking about:
Mask series games like Tikal or Mexica where you have action points and a lot of agency of how to spend them turn to turn.
Wingspan starting you with 5 cards and 5 resources allowing you to keep 5 total.

It's important that the decision is almost like a player power build or equipment or something that makes each player unique.
It's important that there is room for combinations so not just choosing one thing or another.
Finally, it's important that this selection is done with a budget, with selections being variable cost.

Any ideas? Ringing any bells?

Thanks in advance
>>
>>85515673
Kemet
>>
File: wf-mod-4.jpg (107 KB, 1000x463)
107 KB
107 KB JPG
>>85515673
Whether that's a good game or not is anybody's guess but what you described reminds a lot of Warfighter.
>>
File: 1640458111692.png (320 KB, 457x560)
320 KB
320 KB PNG
If a game doesn't have cards as a component then I ain't touching that shit with a ten foot pole. Simple as.
>>
>>85515828
a hand of cards acts as a spiritual barrier between you and the rest of the table. it is not possible to truly connect with your fellow players during a game with cards
>>
>>85504302
Of course I sleeve.

But I don't sleeve every game.
>>
File: 1657499138319.gif (3.15 MB, 498x498)
3.15 MB
3.15 MB GIF
>>85515883

You frame that as a downside but it's actually an upside. This is also why card sleeves exist; simple barbed wire doesn't always cut it. Sometimes you just need a Berlin Wall.
>>
>>85504302
I'm pretty sure it'd die of old age before I finished sleeving my shit even if I could afford it and wanted to spend that obscene amount on plastic covers anyway.
>>
thoughts on SUSD?
>>
>>85512675
>more and better games
name ten
>>
>>85516429
I have them
>>
>>85515673
Sakura arms fits? You must pick 2 characters, and from their combined card pools 7 normal cards (out of 14 total) and 3 special cards (out of 8 total). there's a lot of choice, and you can play the same pair of characters in many different ways because of that. and what i wrote above is really the only limits, you can pick all your 10 cards from one character if you really want to, who's gonna stop you?
>>
>>85515673
also, point-buy wargames. like X-wing, Infinity, Gaslands, and 99% of other wargames where you build a list out of units and upgrades that each cost different amounts of points, and your total points cost of the list must fit into a previously-agreed upper bound.
>>
>>85516775
Eclipse
Eclipse 2
Western Empires
Eastern Empires
Imperial
Imperial 2030
Clash of Cultures
Clash of Cultures Monumental
Munchkin
Candyland
>>
Thanks for the replies

>>85515686
>Kemet
Definitely close and a great game but it's not quite what I meant as you're mostly doing this throughout the game and the starting decision of pyramid levels is more of a setup to getting powers than it is powers itself. I could go on but anyway I appreciate the reply and love kemet so thanks anyway friend.

>>85515699
>Warfighter
Hmmm never heard of it, will check it out. Thank you!

>>85516823
>Sakura arms fits?
That's a good point. And that process does seem rather compelling. I will admit I've tried the game once with my gf and due to friction and misunderstandings over the rules it wasn't really fun for us. I've been meaning to revisit it though and seeing it brought up on tg a lot lately is getting me motivated.

>>85516837
>also, point-buy wargames
This sounds exactly like what I'm looking for, thank you! I wonder if this kind of thing is found in any board games though. Idk the semantics but basically curious to see this outside of wargames like that. In any case this is a good jumping off point for further research, much appreciated!
>>
>>85517073
>no spirit island
3/10 marked envelopes
>>
Now that everything getting more and more expensive, what do you predict for the following years, how will it shape the boardgame industry?
>>
>>85517163
we're due for a counter trend towards elegance and restraint but with obscenely deluxe components
>>
>>85517163
Poorfags will have to go and stay go
>>
>>85517163
>thinking the whales are going to stop
One look a Kickstarter shows that business is going to continue as usual with the increased prices.
>>
>>85517163

>A bunch of kickstarters funded from the same company and they never deliver
>Digital versions being made more and more

We can hope for more digital versions that just do the leg work for you or we can hope to god someone makes a better TTS because that shit is janky as fuck. People say board games are a really big hobby but I don't know one single person interested and I know a lot of people. It's the same thing when you mention video games. People say yeah I love mario, and they played super mario one time in passing at a friends house 20 years ago. Casuals love monopoly and shitty card games like Bang and Coup. I wouldn't exactly call those board game players. If people would stop letting kickstarter rip them off board games would be exponentially better.
>>
>>85517163
Worse and worse because whales and fomofaggots just keep buying overproduced stuff. Why would you go through the trouble and make a brilliant, low cost boardgame and sell it for 40 bucks when you can get x times the profit by including and overpricing shit like neon mats, metal coins, minis and more minis?
I predict there'll be tshirts, buttons and bags included soon
>>
>>85517163
>lost of games will get printed locally
>smaller print runs, so out of print for good games are gonna be more common
>less publishers, and even less variety of games coming out
>roll and write might be more popular to make since components are cheaper
I'm excited to get that hologram board game thing , tilt 5, and play TTS with my wife for the games we can't get
>>
>>85517725
I feel this way about the bag of dungeon sequel on ks right now. Nice game, great price, includes shipping, something like 30 grand raised. Euthia? 1 million plus raised, full of plastic shit, table filling components and all for 2 to 4 bills. And don't forgot nearly an extra hundred bucks for shipping pay piggy!
>>
>>85515189
I'm monitoring which games are recommended often and which of those recommendations remain mostly unchallenged. I don't think I've ever seen an anon actually dislike Kemet afaik, apart from some components. The same is mostly true for Spirit Island (excluding anti-coop autists) and Dune. I bet this will trigger some contrarians, but here's my current list of games most of /bgg/ seems to agree on. This list is by no means complete, excludes games I already own, and features no specific order.
Food chain magnate
Pax Pamir
Pax Renaissance
Twilight imperium 4
Tyrants of the underdark
Sakura arms
Arboretum
El Grande
Sekigahara
Archipelago
Hansa Teutonica
Inis
Summoner Wars
Agricola
Roll for the galaxy
Mare Nostrum
Cuba libre
Brass
The great Zimbabwe

>>85515294
Thanks!
>>
>>85513921
>Being so much of a consumer that you forget shit that you order to your house
>>
>>85517320
Normies aren't playing coup
>>
What is the best space exploration/colonization game? I only know of High Frontier, Leaving Earth, and SpaceCorp.
>>
>>85518790
Gaia Project is good, but theme in that is very lackluster. Feels like they just slapped first thing that came to their mind taking into account that "fantasy" was already taken by Terra.
>>
>>85509425
If you don't play expensive TCG just get like 5K of cheapest penny sleeves from Ultra pro. There is not really point to having good quality sleeves for general boardgame sleeving.
>>
File: 71xI37ZZXKL._AC_SL1200_.jpg (221 KB, 1200x850)
221 KB
221 KB JPG
Question regarding pic related, for we were unable to find it in the instruction:
What if you get stuck with your current hand?
One of the players had a hand that consisted of three explorers (1 machete each), 1 traveller (1 coin). To move forward (or back) it would take either 1 paddle or 2 machetes and there were no cards with value of 2 to just burn the hand.
We ultimately decided to just drop the entire hand, without making any other actions, but there was nothing in the instruction for such rather obvious scenario. What's the official way of dealing with being stuck? Or there is none?
>>
>>85518980
*there were no cards to buy
>>
>>85518980
Yes you can discard whole hand as a turn.
Keep in mind though that non-gold cards can be used as a half gold.
>>
>>85519226
That hand was worth 2.5, so just 2. The cheapest card in the market was 3. Hence the issue.
>>
>>85512977
There are probably better investments you could make. Have you heard about NFTs?
>>
File: I will survive.....gif (2.51 MB, 286x258)
2.51 MB
2.51 MB GIF
>>85519655
>>
>>85517089
>I wonder if this kind of thing is found in any board games though

Point-buy mechanics are generally only suitable to games where people are expected to show up with a list that they intend to play. This is because having your players sit around for half an hour fucking with their own individual spreadsheets for half an hour as part of a setup process is shitty design; alternative mechanics like drafting accomplish the same things but let players get into gameplay immediately.
>>
>>85512977
It would be pretty swell to gift your friend a copy.
But so you have confirmation he isn't backing it himself?
>>
>fourteen new civs
Imperium bros get in here
We eatin!
>>
>>85515699
This game is so ugly that i instantly sold it as soon as i saw the art of the cards.
>>
Playing this later. What am I in for?
>>
>>85517988
I think there's been plenty of disagreement about Inis, otherwise it seems like a reasonable list
Is there a reason roll is mentioned and race isn't?
>>
>>85519984
Very true, good observation
>>
File: 20220804_085957.jpg (52 KB, 1074x328)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
Fucking lmao Martin Wallace

I hope I don't regret this
>>
>>85521396
nta, every time race/roll get mentioned people seem to agree that both are good and you get one or the other depending on your predilection towards dice/cards. I'd have named race, personally, though - thing is so unbelievably cheap in comparison.
>>
>>85521604
What game?
>>
>>85519984
>>85521571
More like DnDrone and his echo chamber.
I'm willing to bet a fiver that you never actually plat anything even resembling a point-buy. And the only reason for that was your fucked-up imagination on how that would work in practice, rather than anything else.
>>
>>85504052
Help the newfag >>85507248
>>
Asmodee >>>>>>>> GMT
>>
What do you guys think about Space Hulk: Death Angel - The Card Game?

Bonus Question: Did anyone ever play Four Against Darkness? Not exactly a board game though.
>>
>>85521672

You come across as a flaming asshat but I'm curious to hear your counter-examples. I can't think of many games built around point-buy that don't involve listbuilding before game day. Also unless you are actively employed as a payed playtester I've definitely played more skirmish games than you've played games of any kind.
>>
>>85521265
Something ranging from mediocrity to trashfire, the latter being if someone realizes they can (and should) tank the game when they're not going to win.
>>
Does anyone have any idea when Sidereal Confluence: Bifurcation is being released? Publisher website says July but I haven't seen any sign of it in any retailers.
>>
>>85521672
I only see you being a faggot (for no reason at all I might add) and no argument.
So tell us what a point-buy game is supposed to look like, then.
>>
>>85515673
Flickfleets, but thats in line with more traditional minis games and skirmish fames like x wing
>>
>>85521781
Careful not to cut yourself on these edges, son
>>
>>85519985
there's a group of three guys who live together that come to my game nights almost every week. they don't read about or buy board games but they always come enthusiastic to try what I have to play and are good company and cunning opponents
despite having played struggle of empires with me a few times I don't think they'd recognize Martin Wallace's name, let alone have heard about his obscure fundraiser campaign.
since the game is so portable and the components should last forever and the box is a reasonable size it seems like a nice game to start their house's collection with
>>85521659
Bloodstones
Martin Wallace is making an asymmetric fantasy war game played almost exclusively with special domino components that are multipurpose as units, discards to pay for units, and pips (resources) for movement/combat/village interaction (building and capturing)
every time you have to shuffle your bag of tiles to draw more you score points for every village you have out on the map. all players get to score twice this way and then the game ends with the last shuffle, and everyone gets a last move. points are then scored for captured villages and citadels. throughout the game you score points for winning a battle based on how many units the opponent had in their stack
it's very aggressive in practice and works at both low and high player counts
>>
>>85521868
>I can't think of many games built around point-buy that don't involve listbuilding before game day.
Nta, but that just means you're retarded, not the fact the games are bad. You're essentially transplanting your own inability to think and make simple choices as something not only inherently bad in game design, but also a litmus test of a game.
In reality, game filtering (You) is just that - filtering (You)
>>
File: aUozwnl.gif (752 KB, 350x243)
752 KB
752 KB GIF
Favorite portable solo game? I need something for my travel.
>>
>>85522402
I have all the expansions to baseball highlights 2045 and when I go out sometimes I will grab a 60-80 card deck of random free agents plus the card version of the game board and throw them in a deck box with a 15 card starter team and some wooden pawns for the baserunners
>>
>>85522366
>ask anon for counter-examples
>anon can't give any and so pivots to personal attacks

I accept your concession.
>>
>>85522402
Can't get smaller then a wallet. Love me sprawlopolis, even more with beaches expansion.
The other expansions arent going to break the bank, but im not as fond of construction sites/wrecktar/points of interest as i am beaches.
>>
>>85522402
KDM
I hope you have a big suitcase.
>>
File: 1659532250613131.gif (147 KB, 320x240)
147 KB
147 KB GIF
>keyforge bought from asmodee
>purchaser is new company financed by FFGs founder, who now plays around in venture capital investments
>the game will have its next wave of decks created with crowdfunding
Not like this Christian, not like this!
>>
>>85512977
yes because if it's good I'll buy one from you in 2 years after you couldn't sell because a hundred other people had the same idea
>>
I hear every board game talked about. But one series I never hear shit about is tiny epic. They've made some pretty okay games. I just literally never hear about them.
>>
>>85522078
this game looks utterly repulsive, imagine trying to sell people dominos with clipart for 100$ buckaroos, also
>bags
Fucking miss me with this bingo shit, absolutely worst tabletop component ever
>>
>>85522402
a good book because solo games are for phones and faggots.
>>
>>85523040
you haven't heard of Across the United States.
>>
>>85523040
>I just literally never hear about them.
By who?
Last time the /bgg had substantial waggling i cant say i noticed a significant tiny epic presence on the shelves, but you go to other sites and you read the occasional conversation.
I dont think they scratch the same itch tormenting anons itt.
>>
>>85522402
If you don't mind single-use games, buy deduction puzzles like Exit, Unlock, Chronicles of Crime etc in bulk. They're all perfect time wasters for a solo evening and you can throw them in the dumpster after playing and not have to carry around
>>
>>85523246
Unlock >> Exit
as a bonus you can pass them on, unlike exit. but man they are both more fun with other people.
>>
>>85523259
I actually like that you ruin Exit as you play, its like a mini legacy experience
>>
>>85522402
Micro Macro: crime city
>>
>>85523301
if the actual content of the box were good I might agree.
>>
>>85522402
Kemet
>>
>>85523069
the maps are hand painted and water colored I think they look pretty
the tiles are also readable, tactile, and the iconography is cool enough. maybe not for you and you can't afford it but I don't think it's repulsive in any sense
>>
File: 1656669501303.jpg (101 KB, 307x309)
101 KB
101 KB JPG
>>85523370
>>
>>85521604
Game looks really nice. Haven't watched gameplay but looks like risk/small world. I wouldn't spend $105+shipping on it.
especially after doing that on nightmare cathedral and most likely castles of burgundy 2023 next month
>>
>>85523076
As if you could read anything not prefixed with a number.
>>
>>85523040
>tiny epic
Nobody can shut up about them when there's a release. And they're always
>designed small for shipping
>dissapointing compared to the big games they ape
>fucking huge out of the box, so not great travel games
>not horrendous solo, as a rule

Fml I have at least 4 of them. Can't decide if I actually like them or not. Galaxies is about the only kind of game play I don't own in another game.
>>
>>85523445
each faction has like 8 kinds of units how is it like risk?
i've never played small world but read the rules when i saw this comparison and don't think it makes much sense. that game seems very math-y and most of the decisions are about when to decline your race
i've played a couple games of bloodstones on TTS and watched a few more, position on the map is very important. you get tactical decisions like flanks and protecting borders due to how the villages work as a scoring mechanism
even from the first decision of where to put your strongest piece (the immobile +5 citadel) there is a ton to consider and it will shape the whole match. you can easily effectively lose before the game even starts if you place carelessly
>>
>>85523076
Ok I'll opt for a gamebook then
>>
File: proxy-image (20).jpg (79 KB, 630x630)
79 KB
79 KB JPG
>>85509694
Horrified is pretty okay cooperative game.
This is just a reskin of the WB horror film version but still its Something.
>>
>>85522366
>Nta
>Same baseless line of insult without an argument
Are you wearing cargo pants or are at a gay nude bar atm by any chance?
>>
>>85523392
Not that anon, but I don't get how people like these horrible light plastic domino pieces. They look massively ugly to me and still seem to be the main reason for the games price. The map is gorgeous, though, I agree.
>>
>>85521823
>Space Hulk: Death Angel - The Card Game?
Tough, and oddly vertical game. Still have it. Break it out once in a while for solo.

>4 Against Darkness
I like it but it's a bit simple, and printed supplements are too expensive for the content provided.
>>
>>85513921
For a supposedly simple game, Diplomacy's adjudication is qyite hairy.
>>
i love looking at stats related to gulag collection and databases. what's your favorite site or way to nerd out looking at charts, stats, plays, etc.? i enjoy geekgroup.app
>>
>>85522402
>travel solo
For true travel you need a small package and a small play area. So Tiny Epic games won't cut it because they sprawl out of the box like crazy.

>gamebooks
>small, simple to crunchy, as big as the gameplay they provided.
Forbidden Lands is a good very light rpg series. Each book is connected by points in the book, as long as it makes sense geographically. Each book comes with a big plot so the others aren't essential.
Bismark Solitaire is also worth checking out. Quite a meaty war game for a book.

>deck of cards
>tiny, but need some space to play.
I hated plain cards until I got a better quality deck as a gift and learned to shuffle properly.
There's some great solo games out there to find including dungeon crawlers and deck builders.

>Oniiverse
All card games, some take more space than others. Usually only play 2 at most. All fun mechanics. Onirim is probably the best feor size and content, but Urbion is even smaller.

>Roll/Flip n Writes
Might have everything you need in one small box. Some are really great travel/pub games, but a bit simple (Railroad Ink), others are much crunchier (Fleet, Three Sisters). Some might be too big for travel (Welcome to, Paper Dungeons).

>Needs space to play tier
Elder Sign is a dice game based on Arkham Horror. Simple to play, but a lot of replayability. Room in the box for a couple of expansions.too.
Greenland/Neanderthal are I guess evolvem ups? Very weighty for the size, but such a small travel size.

>Sprawlopolis, Palm Island
Both recommended but I haven't played them yet.
>>
>>85524118
Board game stats (or BG stats?) is my go to app for tracking plays, win rates, % of collection played, noticing new games played in a given period.
Can even get into nitty gritty of how often a certain faction or role wins in games like neuroshima hex, summoner wars, root, COIN, sakura arms, etc, and even how well specific players do with any given faction.
>>
>>85524118
I do like the bg stats apo. I think it's the only app I've ever spent money on
>>
>>85524192
I'd argue that Onirim is almost unplayable physically. You spend more time shuffling than actually playing the game
I do like the game and its art though
>>
>>85523866
I can see them being ugly to you, but I like the feel of my Hive tiles and imagine these are similar.
I also like the idea of components that are impervious to water and will last forever. I am already starting to see wear on my Root buildings and tokens for instance
>>
>>85524237
>>85524279
I looked into bgstats app previously but i saw in-app purchases in an already paid app and it instantly turned me off.
>>
>>85522402
Pax Ren 2nd edition with solo rules from BGG.
Pax Emancipation
Pax Pamir (print the map cards)
Pax Transhumanity
>>
>>85524392
>Pax Ren 2nd edition with solo rules from BGG.
Got a link to these rules? I'd like to check them out.
>>
>>85524380
I bought the deep statistics add on and have been very satisfied with it.
You would probably get plenty of data using the base app and never feel compelled to pay for anything else.
I don't do 10x10s or any other challenges, nor do i care for deep level customization, tagging, and filters, so those add ons are irrelevant for me.
>>
File: 544363465.jpg (30 KB, 640x640)
30 KB
30 KB JPG
>>85513921
>Shitplomacy
>>
>>85524467
Ah I see. Some of that stuff does sound superfluous to me as well. I'll be taking another look at bgstats in the future then.
>>
>>85524301
Pretty sure thats the idea. A lot of people (myself included) find shuffling satisfying, meditative, same as yoyoing or penspinning or cubing for others. Onirim just gives you a little push your luck thing to do in-between the shuffles
>>
>>85524380
I get that. I don't have it and the app is perfectly fine, as it should be. No ads, no shit and a lot of statistics that are actually helpful. I wish there was some way to weight games (So a HIS win would count "more" on the eternal table than a win in coup) but that's just objectively unnecessary.
The inapp purchase - I think only a single one exists - might as well be a charity button, because I don't think anyone really uses these challenges and direct player comparisons.
>>
>>85524587
Fair enough I guess. I do think the app actually turns the shuffling exercise into a game. Which is a shame because as said I really like the cards and art.
>>
>>85524650
Spirit Island
>>
>>85524349
I do like hives aesthetics as well. I gotta admit that I've only seen either the tiles themselves or the game played digitally. They did really clash with the map for me, I kinda dislike the colour schemes. In the end it ofc is personal preference, but I'd still hesitate if the game was half its price.
>>
I've long since wanted to try it but for some reason never got around. How is Orleans, anon?
I've seen it called the definitive bag builder, but rarely in the context of good games.
>>
File: pic6387623.jpg (1.05 MB, 1638x2048)
1.05 MB
1.05 MB JPG
>>85524650
>>
>>85522402
>solo game
Laughing at retards who try to have "muh solo game" in anything that requires a group of people or at least a single partner. Bonus points if they are insisting that their masturbatory deviancy is superior to actual sex that is playing games together.
>>
>>85523526
Books have their pages numbered, but how could a faggot like you know that.
>>
>>85524192
Thank you for the in-depth answer.
>travel solo
I didn't know Tiny Epic games required lots of space, this is useful information since I was considering Galaxies.
>gamebooks
Oh trust me, I have tons of gamebooks and I'm even playtesting my own, so those are always welcomed. This time however I wanted something different, so a board game.
>cards
I just bought Space Hulk: Death Angel. Maybe it fits my criteria. Do you know the game?
>roll/flip
Not exactly the same, but I bought Four Against Darkness as well. It's a solo pen & paper dungeon crawler. Should be fun.
>Elder Sign
I'll add it to my list.
>Sprawlopolis, Palm Island
I heard good things about Sprawlopolis but the theme really doesn't do anything for me. Aside from that, looks like a nice time-sinker. I was very close on buying Palm Island however, but then I refused to pay 30-40 dollars (inc. shipping) for such a small game. Also, it would seem the gameplay is very samey after only two playthroughs: gather resources, upgrade, repeat. I do love how it doesn't require table space however, and I hope something using the same idea gets published in the future.
>>
>>85525058
>I maek poost :)
>>
>>85525071
>doesn't know what prefix means
Jesus we could have had a fun topical joke about how you can only read gmt rule books or game books, but you were too stupid for such delightful mirth, weren't you, you mouth breathing plank.
>>
>>85525058
I find solo gaming outside of learning the rules to be a strange thing as well, but let them have their fun. I've never seen anyone anywhere claim solo boardgames are better than playing with actual people.
>>
File: 1564512108971.png (20 KB, 81x170)
20 KB
20 KB PNG
>>85523526
Fucking kek
Ngl nested rules and subsections references are my jam and peanut butter
>>
File: box-art_1.png (2.19 MB, 2000x977)
2.19 MB
2.19 MB PNG
>>85524650

Inhuman Conditions. Pretty unique/interesting design. It's a two-player social deduction game loosely based on the voight-kampff test in Blade Runner; one player tries to convince the other that they are an actual human being... go figure.
>>
>>85509967
Pls rply
>>
>>85525262
Subtly bases post
>>
>>85524828
it kind of sucks that we won't be able to see what the components with the new art look like in pictures before the campaign is up
personally though I don't care much for how it looks. the tiles are the most functional option for the game design and the design is fun so I'll be backing. beautiful maps are a major bonus
price isn't too bad imo. Root with its first expansion (6 factions) would be over $100 and that's only 2 maps instead of 4 or 5. not sure how much it was back on Kickstarter
>>
>>85525095
>I was considering Galaxies.
Galaxies is perhaps the smallest in terms of play space. It is my favourite of the TEs as it doesn't try to punch beyond its weight. Put it in the Needs Space to Play tier. Haven't tried the expansion though, I think it's well contained.

>Death Angel
Is great, track down the expansions if you can, as they add a fair amount of replay and all fit in the small base box. BUT it's such a tall game. Tough too.

>palm island
>30-40 dollars
Fuck that's a lot. It's about 10 britquids here, which is still about about 3 to much. And I'm not buying on principle, because like you said, with smaller games the gameplay is limited. Bit like Friday. Could be a great travel solo game, but once you figure out the trick it's just an exercise in counting.
>>
>>85525362
OG root in KS was six factions, two maps, 60 USD.
>>
>>85525201
My man.
>>
>>85525362
>Root with its first expansion (6 factions) would be over $100
Idk how that would be relevant, but it isn't true, at least here. It's around 70-75 in euroland
>>
>>85509967
I don't think they'd call it a glossy front, but the matt'er a transparent plastic, the cloudier it will be. They'd say it was ultra clear low glare or some shit.
>>
>>85524301
Yeah it's a lot of fucking shuffling. The only game where I keep the deck in my hand, and my hand on the table in front of me. Still like it, despite this.
>>
>>85525450
Looking at board game oracle for US retailers, average combined price for root plus riverfolk ranges from 75-90 USD.
Shipping likely cheaper than gamefounds eventual pound of flesh, too.
Tho Im not sure what our comparison is accomplishing, component materials, the approach in design,and the distribution
methid make these two very different beasts.
>>
>>85525450
in america is sells out every print so the second hand value of the base game is $100+
>>
>>85525396
that's a good price. should've got into it back then
of course then I would've had to get a sticker pack for balance changes so you win some you lose some
>>
>>85525537
Cool stuff inc has some twenty copies for 48$ right now.
Itd 60$ if you order straight from the publisher, no signal its out of stock there.
>>
>>85525565
I got in shortly after the KS, I got new amended boards freely added to the underground KS campaign.
Its no GMT sending you errata pieces for free out of the blue but it was appreciated.
>>
>>85525586
that is quite nice, interesting to hear
Leder games seems to have proven itself to have pretty decent business practices
I like how they put out Ahoy without the crowdsource rigmarole and are asking $40, which seems quite reasonable
>>
>>85525037
It’s okay. The bag building aspect is brilliant because you have complete control over what goes into the bag and thus also control over what comes out enabling you to do a 0 luck strategy or push your luck to risk it for a big turn. The issue is that what you use that bag building to do isn’t interesting: you either use your tokens to gain another token moving up on the associated track and gaining the rewards associated with it, or move around the map collecting resources that are mostly used for end game VP and building houses. Once players realize how to run an efficient bag with some combination of knight tokens for more draws and craftsman token to cover up spaces on their board in order to build houses + collect resources on the map, run up the science track, and grab the best buildings from the black tokens the game starts to feel solved from how low the interaction is. Then for whatever reason the game has a random event deck that pretty much only exists to fuck over newbie players. The expansion adds some player interaction and fixes the event deck but I didn’t find it enough to renew any interest in the game.
>>
>>85525629
Yea, their avoidance of KS for smaller projects like fort and ahoy lead me to order the stuff once reviews are out and I can see if its up my groups alley. Looking forward to Ahoys reception.
I respected the hell out of Plaid Hat back in the early 2010s when they stated that they would never turn to KS as a business model. They didnt see themselves as the indie project that needed that system, didnt want to fleece customers that way nor add to the noise and drown out deserving up and coming designers.
>>
>>85525632
Much appreciated, anon. I might try it on TTS first then
>>
File: 20220804_133706.jpg (1.83 MB, 4032x1816)
1.83 MB
1.83 MB JPG
I think I might have too many games
>>
File: 1539263397605.png (111 KB, 235x298)
111 KB
111 KB PNG
>got a list of games Im not chomping at the bit to purchase, but interested enough to eventually snap up
>undaunted and expansions, brian boru, Imperium classics/legends (oh hey now theres horizons), Crescent Moon, the king is dead.
>mfw these are all published by same company
Yo wtf do they got a psi agent living next door. Is anything real. Where's my can of Ubik.
>>
>>85525810

Bang is a fucking awful game. My friend loves it and holy fuck it's awful. High noon makes it bearable but barely.
>>
>>85525810
your collection makes the war of the ring box look tiny
horrifying
>>
>>85509694
>I asked a couple threads ago and got no response
not true, i recc'd Horrified American Monsters
>>
File: 20220516_064124.jpg (3.04 MB, 3024x3024)
3.04 MB
3.04 MB JPG
>>85525810
Looks about average to me
>>
>>85525048
What is this? Looks like an rpg.
>>
>>85511860
Not Alone looks like a lot of fun but /bgg/ told me it was no good
>>
>>85525827
brain boru is so fuckin good
>>
>>85521396
It seems like whenever Race was mentioned, Roll was suggested as the more streamlined, cleaner version. Never the other way around.
>>
File: PXL_20220804_205231728~2.jpg (1.38 MB, 2061x3202)
1.38 MB
1.38 MB JPG
>>85525887
>laughs in KDM
>>
>>85525450
>It's around 70-75 in euroland
That's only true if you're able to find good deals. I've seen the base game for anywhere between 50 and 75 euro. Riverfolk expansion never for less then 40 and underworlds is usually between 45 and 65.
>>
File: 1572649850021.gif (165 KB, 480x268)
165 KB
165 KB GIF
>>85525991
Tell me more you enabling bastard
>>
>>85525810
Nah you're fine.
>>
>>85512178
i'll give you GMT just for CGE, you can keep Splotter
Splotter's never in print anyway, and their games are Kickstarter prices
>>
>>85523040
only good tiny epic is galaxies, the rest are meh at best
>>
>>85512852
i wouldn't recommend doxxing yourself here
>>
>>85512977
just get a job bro
>>
>>85526016
jesus my back is thrown out just looking at this
>>
>>85507053
why, you going surfing bitch?
>>
>>85524650
2nd for Spirit Island. Such an empowering and validating game experience for us nonbinary racial minority folk.
>>
>enjoy playing Sakura Arms on TTS
>no copies translated to my language are sold where i live
at least bullet heart TL ver. is out. soon the rest of their catalogue will follow. right?
>>
>>85526087
Audibly kek'd, thanks based mirthposter
>>
>>85526108
Neither game is all that heavy, at least nothing on the level of Gloomhaven or any given Chip Theory game, each of which is bare minimum 22lb/10k without expansions or addons.
>>
>>85526051
I'm going to assume you know roughly how to play the game. I've gotten rid of other trick taking games for Brian Boru, even though it's a stretch to call it a trick-taking game, because following suit is not required.
It's a game that always produces close games for whatever reason (unless someone does something extremely dumb).
Besides that, there is a surprising amount of nuance in picking the active town to fight over, along with which card to play, if you are first to play or last to play, things like that. For example, I might pick a town in a region that is entirely controlled by 1 player, while playing a lower numbered card, in hopes that nobody is interested in winning a single town in an otherwise region dominated by someone else, which means that I could win the trick with my lower card, giving me bonuses beyond just gaining control of the town (marriage, vikings, religion). Typical trick-taking strategies of "starving" a particular suit is not feasible, but instead other methods of winning with lower numbered cards emerge from Brian Boru. I'm no expert in trick-taking games so take my word with some grains of salt.
I will say that the theme is really weak, if that's something you care for in games. My gaming group always feels like the game ends a bit early. If there were more rounds, the map would run out of open spaces for towns to fight over, so I take it that my group is just down to play again after playing a game of Brian Boru.
>>
>>85526051
>>85526221
Oh, and for reference, I've played it over 10 times and it hasn't felt repetitive yet, despite the lack of map variation. Variation comes mostly from the cards dealt/drafted each round. The different marriage cards available each game add a bit of variability as well.
>>
Luck elements make you feel bad when they work against you, and feel guilty when they work for you. So why have luck in games to begin with?
>>
>>85526153
Maybe. Bakafire is the actual designer of the game, and L99 was only responsible for the English localization. I have no idea if they're authorized to do releases in other languages.
>>
>>85524118
also GeekGroup
>>
>>85526187
>neither game is all that heavy
so these boxes are mostly filled with air you are telling me?
>>
>>85525955
it's a Plaid Hat Game type campaign, lite tactical game, with inclusive art. made 200k on kickstarter
>>
>>85526335
Complaints about luck are often cope for getting outplayed, so you just assume that whatever RNG is present is 100% the reason you lost.
Get good.
>>
>>85513921
I'd rather try dragon dildos than those.
>>
>>85526347
>>85524237
>>85524467
are there any notable features in bgstats not available with geekgroup?
>>
>>85525058
...you found your analogy "clever" enough to post it twice (or think a soloCHAD would care about your shitpost)?
>>
>>85525936
for a second, i thought your games were floating off the floor. then realized it was a built into the wall shelf
>>
>>85524650
Probably SI
>>
File: nikita.gif (4.96 MB, 520x225)
4.96 MB
4.96 MB GIF
>>85525810
>all the ascendancy boxes
>no fleet captains
>even fucking trek catan
>no fleet captains
>and no galactic enterprises
>and no federation & empire
what the hell anon
>>
>>85526383
and relatively light, space-inefficient plastic miniatures, yes.
>>
>>85526497
>>85525810
oh wait my bad galactic enterprises is right there we good bro
>>
>>85525810
Shit taste but at least its your own unlike walking kpg meme right there:
>>85525936
>>
>>85526497
federation & empire is there
>>
So fa/tg/uys, do we have a consensus on pic related?
>>
File: no.gif (119 KB, 114x90)
119 KB
119 KB GIF
>>85526640
jesus fuck its time to get my eyes checked
later dudes I've got one foot in the grave
>>
>>85526497

Its there. lol
>>
>>85526579

what games there are bad?
>>
File: 1640283904838.jpg (91 KB, 593x563)
91 KB
91 KB JPG
>>85525391
Yeah that bad boy is tall as fuck. I'm still not sure about the expansions though, I would love to have them but the prices are bullshit considering they're out of print, so adding even more stuff from the franchise it's a sure way to spend hundreds of dollars. Speaking of which, you guys have it easy over there with those prices, but in this shit hole country everything is super inflated, especially the shipping costs, import taxes and so on and so forth. Finally, yeah, I absolutely agree on what you said about Palm Island. Have a good one man, it was great talking with someone in a civilized manner on this godforsaken Mongolian forum.
>>
>>85525979
I tried it in 1v1 and 2v1 and thought it was cool. I can understand the criticism but i'm casual enough to not care too much about it.
>>
File: 20220804_181910.jpg (1.08 MB, 1980x2334)
1.08 MB
1.08 MB JPG
>>85526579
>unlike walking kpg meme right there:
Wait until you see whats on the other side of that wall
Not pictured in either: coup, tournament of avalon, bullet star, lvl99 sakura arms, king is dead, gosu, air land and sea, summoner wars 2nd edition, and guards of atlantis II
>>85526451
The house has these stairwell cubbies the previous owners used to place trinkets and photos. Naturally it became the board game spot. The physical limitations have been usefull in encouraging culls. If the collectiom doesnt fit, its time to sell/trade/give away.
>>85526430
Never used geek group so i cant compare the two resources, sorry anon
>>85526221
>>85526292
Appreciate this write up. Going to chew on it. My group enjoys draft, trick taking, and area control designs so it would likely be a hit. For some reason it doesnt excite me personally so Ive held off buying, while never outright removing it from that potential buylist.
>>
File: 1551425446074.gif (853 KB, 200x267)
853 KB
853 KB GIF
>>85527328
>not pictured: air land and sea
>its right fucking there
Well shit looks like I am competing with >>85526719 in faculty deterioration
>>
>>85524507
No friends
>>
>>85525048
Somehow all of the art except the humans looks good
>>
>>85527328

Lots of people seem to own fort. I love it but people seem to not like it very much. Maybe it's Kyle ferrins art. Some people don't like building their deck just to lose some cards. I think it's a pretty easy way to not have 1 player take the lead and win with a better draft. Also I think they have too many mechanics. They probably could have done without the pack. Collecting resources was enough. Why add another pack you can keep a couple resources in. A lot of players don't utilize the hideout already because they're so focused on building the fort because it's really the easiest way to win. Nobody goes for alt strats.
>>
>>85527572
I don't like how the only sense of progression is through upgrading your fort. You start with 10 cards, but 8 of them come straight from the market of cards, and there's only a few stand out cards that are better than the rest. In particular, those with fort upgrade actions as the private action. It doesn't feel like a deckbuilding game because the cards you obtain throughout the game are of similar strength to the ones you started with. I don't really mind the yard mechanism which allows others to take cards from my deck. I find that it allows for interesting decisions.

It doesn't help that after literally 2 plays, we already saw duplicate made up rules and perks. Certainly needs more variety imo.
>>
>>85526335
because otherwise the smartest guy always wins and you may as well just be taking an IQ test or something
>>
File: 1518893918649.gif (98 KB, 350x300)
98 KB
98 KB GIF
>>85526387
>"inclusive" means every character is a vaguely androgynous chubby mystery meat
>>
>>85526430
BGStats is what you use to log your plays, which gives you more data for GeekGroup
i use them both
>>
>>85527653
I use this android app for logging my plays: https://github.com/ccomeaux/boardgamegeek4android
>>
>>85526872
I don't know, thanks to brexit everything good is out of stock for months and the price goes sky high. We're becoming east germany.

And those Death Angel expansions were print on demand in the first place, so they're not exact quality.

Bon voyage you classy fuck.
>>
>>85527328
>Wait until you see whats on the other side of that wall
a mirror?
>>
>>85525185
Playing board games solo is better than playing them multiplayer.
>>
File: 1527506786988.png (63 KB, 750x650)
63 KB
63 KB PNG
>>85527785
Playing board games is better than not playing board games at all
>>
playing board games is better than sex
>>
>>85527835

No it isn't. Playing board games is just one of the least offensive ways of tricking your brain into secreting the social monkey drugs that you need to stay even remotely sane. Doing it by yourself is worse than doing nothing.
>>
>>85527886
on average? nah
but it can be
>>
>>85526187
war of the ring is pretty fucking heavy if you put the expansions in the box.
>>
>>85527785

Wrong. But infinitely easier. Nobody wants to play the lesser rated games. But you can find a group to play asymmetrical euro trash #145789765.
>>
>>85521823

I love 4AD, but I am autistic and enjoy drawing dungeons. Theres almost zero tactics in combat, trade hits till someone dies
>>
>>85527785
Depends on the group. Good thing TTS exists, I was playing marvel champions solo on it, mostly to save $2000 for everything or about $50 to proxy
>>
>>85525048
i'd play this
>>
>>85527893
>Playing board games is just one of the least offensive ways of tricking your brain into secreting the social monkey drugs
Fuck off, Quinns. I don't need boardgames to be social and I don't need to be social to play boardgames.
>>
>>85527649
>Mystery meat
kek
>>
>>85527893
For many people yes.

Personally I don't need any sort of social lubricant. It's annoying that when I sit down to game people take it as a chance to blather on and half pay attention.
>>
>>85522402
Bag of dungeon.
>>
File: buhbye.gif (149 KB, 220x165)
149 KB
149 KB GIF
>>85504302
I unsleeved everything. You're gonna eventually die and your family is just gonna sell all your crap for a fraction of its worth or donate it or trash it.

Sleeving is just an autist tax.
>>
File: 1612089187283.png (279 KB, 500x687)
279 KB
279 KB PNG
>>85529909

Having boundaries is usually a good thing and it always costs something.
>>
>>85529909
i'm not under some delusion that i'm saving my cards for 50 years bro
i've had unsleeved cards that are beat the hell up after less than a year, i'm trying to keep them decent for 5 years maybe
>>
>>85529958
What the fuck are you doing to your cards? My Heroquest cards are still in great condition. Stop hauling shit in your pockets.
>>
>>85530028
>What the fuck are you doing to your cards?
you know what i'm doing to them - shoving
them up your mom's asshole
>>
>>85530052
Well that's why your cards don't even last a year. Better double sleeve it.
>>
File: Game collection .jpg (153 KB, 1108x830)
153 KB
153 KB JPG
>>85527886
DO NOT SUMMON THAT DEMON!
>>
>>85527641
This is not a real issue since most modern boardgames are complicated enough to bring everyone down on the level of making educated guesses about the game state. The IQ thing does explain why memory games are so reviled, if someone is better than you at memorization you just feel like a worthless peon.
>>
>>85528792
>Fuck off, Quinns. I don't need boardgames to be social and I don't need to be social to play boardgames.
One of the funniest bgg things about the pandemic was how short a time it took that social diva that actually solo gaming was acceptable and fun.

Before he was all 'it's all about the social interractionfor me!', and 'I remember stumbling into a mahjong den in hong kong and having so much fun' to 'I need more paper for solo print and plays!'
>>
Thoughts on SUSD?
>>
>>85530335
>putting your Catan table on the couch
Weird place for it but ok I guess.
>>
>>85531549
Quinns molested me when I was 8. He shoved a meeple up my ass after luring me for a game of Carcassonne. Ever since then I cannot enjoy boardgames unless there's something in my butt. At first it was meeples, tokens, dice, but these days I started getting all the kickstarter big box exclusives if you catch my drift
>>
>>85531549
susd more like shitsd, am i right or am i right?
they can redeem themselves by reviewing anime games and not making any underhanded 'the girls are just too sexy it's embarrassing" comments.
>>
>>85529909
>Sleeving is just an autist tax
This tbqh. I don't know why it would be strictly necessary, I've had some card games for a decade and they show very little wear. Probably because we tend to play on mats. Regardless, I find that few games need to be sleeved even if you are autistic about it since, lets face it, almost no game gets played so often that cards getting marked or too damaged is a concern.
>>
>>85531835
It doesn't matter how much wear there is. As long as the wear is uneven, for example one card gets more creased than others, it can ruin the game. Not all games need to be sleeved but it makes sense for some games.
>>
>>85527572
>Also I think they have too many mechanics.
I kinda agree. I personally almost never use the watergun or crown suit cards. But other people I've played with use them a lot more. So imo it evens out.
>They probably could have done without the pack. Collecting resources was enough. Why add another pack you can keep a couple resources in.
Disagree here. The pack is quit good to put extra resources for if you're planning to upgrade two times in a row or if you intend to play cards that give VP for resources discarded. I also like the perk that allows you to put resources from the bank in your pack instead of from your stuff.
>A lot of players don't utilize the hideout
Again, not in my experience. A lot of people I play with use the hide out for a "free" follow the leader action and/or to score points per card in the hide out. I think it's a neat feature that is very handy depending on the playstyle you're going for. I've had some very close games where I only barely won or lost due to my opponent's VP scores through things like the hide out.
>>
>>85529909
>You're gonna eventually die
Not any time soon. I can understand your worries though if you are a 60+ year old boomer.
>>
https://youtu.be/c9NAy-aQ8aA
new heroscape master set o.o
>>
>>85531795
Weebshit is embarrassing but not because of nudity
>>
>>85532102
then why if not for nudity?
>>
>>85531835
>>85531977
for what people spend sleeving up whole games or collections, you could easily just buy a replacement copy of most things the few times that happens. or just wait until a game is actually suffering that kind of wear and then sleeve it as the need arises.
>>
>>85532796
>for what people spend sleeving up whole games or collections, you could easily just buy a replacement copy of most things
Lol, no.

People can go overboard. If they add wooden inserts and shit, like Gloomhaven insert + sleeving is over 100% of the cost of Gloomhaven.

But who the fuck is protecting games always for sale?

I've only sleeved 2... 3 games out of hundreds because they're not replaceable, and I'd like them to stick around for a few more years.
>>
>>85532638
Because...because it just is okay!
>>
>>85531835
Yup, playing on a mat or even having a tablecloth on the table is really all you need.

Most wear seems to come from either having to slide the cards to the edge of the table to pick them up, or use your nails to pick it up from the surface (resulting in little nicks on the edges).

A cloth surface fixes it, then the only thing you need to be wary of is people who have some cognitive deficit when it comes to shuffling, and food and drinks on the table
>>
>DUDE I NEED TO SLOOOOOOVE
>DUDE WHO KNOWS WHAT IF I FEEL LIKE PLAYING KEYFORGE 50 YEARS FROM NOW
Few decades from now every boardgame will be 3d printable in perfect imitation state. Plus, shuffling sleeved cards feels extremely gay, I need that velvety linen finish between my fingers
>>
>>85532963
so it is embarrassing because of nudity, understandable have a nice day.
>>
New thread
>>85533828
>>
>>85523839
Don't equate me with giphfag

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.