[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 2682848628888.png (574 KB, 820x763)
574 KB
574 KB PNG
Welcome to the Old School Renaissance General, the thread dedicated to TSR-era D&D, derived systems, and compatible content.
Broadly, OSR games encourage a tonal and mechanical fidelity to Dungeons & Dragons as played in the game's first decade – less emphasis on linear adventures and overarching meta-plots and a greater emphasis on player agency.

If you are new to the OSR, welcome! Ask us whatever you're curious about. We'll be happy to help you get started on this playstyle.

>Troves, Resources, Blogs, etc:
http://pastebin.com/9fzM6128

>Need a starter dungeon? Here's a curated collection:
https://archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/80674659/#80722465

>Previous thread:
>>85463783

>Thread Question:
Do you think higher level campaigns are about more battles, political issues in the setting, or something else? Justify your answer.
>>
Want to contribute to the thread but don't know where to start? Roll 1d10 (dice+1d10 in the "options" field) on the table below!
Tag your post with [OC] if you want it archived at osrgcontent.blogspot.com.

>1. Make a spell
>2. Make a monster
>3. Make a dungeon setpiece
>4. Make a wilderness setpiece
>5. Make a city setpiece
>6. Make a magic item
>7. Make a class, race, or race-as-class
>8. Make a 4-10 room dungeon
>9. Make a trap
>10. Roll 2d10 and combine
>>
Anyone familiar with Goblin Grinder from Mork Borg?
Any tips to run it? The idea is nice but the adventure looks overall a bit too barebone. Perhaps setting it up as a mystery could make it better?
>>
File: War3.png (1.25 MB, 990x736)
1.25 MB
1.25 MB PNG
>>85502973
>tq
Having not done a higher level campaign, I mostly just want to get there and see. Hopefully its about grand battles and political intrigue between the cosmic forces of law and chaos.
>justify
It seems like it would be cool.
>>
What of the "Nu-SR" do you like? The stuff that's not really B/X compatible but inspired by it.
>>
File: Bait fraco.jpg (25 KB, 720x404)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
>>85503154
>>
>>85501530
That's for encounters, not for stocking. While having an interesting series of nested encounter tables is great for emergent play, having some keyed hexes ahead of time, even if minimally written, has a positive cohesive aspect to the region as well as locations for factions, lairs, dungeons, etc.
>>
>>85503188
>having some keyed hexes ahead of time, even if minimally written, has a positive cohesive aspect to the region as well as locations for factions, lairs, dungeons, etc.

Which I definitely don't disagree with. I think having tables for emergent play trumps stocking every single 6 mile hex.
>>
File: 2Q_UdL.png (47 KB, 315x250)
47 KB
47 KB PNG
>>85503129
What hook are you going with for the goblin grinder? Are your PCs infected with it and just stumbling on it or are they naturally curious and finding it coming from rumours of a weird place with infectious goblins?
>>85503154
As I said like a year back; I'm open to anything because I can easily convert it into B/X material. NSR stuff is easier to convert than most material because it assumes dungeons/random encounters/magical items. I particularly like a lot of Mork Borg's community content and how supportive devs are of it and how free/cheap most of it is. It's usually really good.
That stuff is great, you should be able to take inspiration from anything for creating dungeons and at this point a book filled with weird NPCs or monster ideas is more valuable to me than anything.
>>
>>85503512
are you excited for skerples monster manual + generic setting?
>>
File: hexcrawl_hexmap_colored.jpg (740 KB, 2048x1536)
740 KB
740 KB JPG
Has anyone had any luck running an open table OSR thing at a gaming bar or something like that? Been thinking of doing it one weeknight a week for a while. Just a standard hexcrawl with my own OC megadungeons and a comfy town I'm gonna work on mapping out. Probably gonna have 2 or 3 different dungeons with 40 or so rooms and a megadungeon with 200 to 300 rooms. Not sure what to do though besides le epic fallen city. Also any advice on really esoteric german black and white / grey dark art to use for inspiration? Or how to get inspired to make the names seem very dark and exotic in a germanic/nordic sense?
>>
>>85503600
He's doing one for Mork Borg or is this something else?
>>
File: .png (6.62 MB, 4096x2749)
6.62 MB
6.62 MB PNG
>>85503742
nah apparantly he is doing a systemless "monster overhaul" that has a ton of tables and stuff in it. he has already posted a bunch of stuff about it on his twitter. picrel is the spread on kobolds.
>>
>>85503732
Have you read Egil's Saga or any epic poetry from the regions you draw the most influence from? That's the only advice I can give.
I'm curious to your question about running open table type sessions. I sadly have no experience DMing but very much want to. I should obviously get practice running modules or running Stonehell or something before trying to do what you speak of but it's an eventual goal.
It could be fun to key some hexes with some of the misc system agnostic modules or small room dungeons. I remember seeing some in the trove that caught my eye, including a sight-themed "puzzle dungeon" that honestly would have fit at home in a Zelda game, the inside of a defunct giant metal golem whose insides have been taken over by rust monsters and a horny owlbear, and an adaptation of that HP Lovecraft story with the Romans. Neat stuff.
>>
Has anyone ever written rules for playing a falconer/using a trained bird/other animal to attack foes? Could I just use hireling-style morale rolls to see if the animal will creatures equal to or bigger in size than it?
>>
File: .png (45 KB, 436x180)
45 KB
45 KB PNG
>>85503944
morkborg has a per hawk item
(DR is AC)
>>
>>85503910
Ugh, I'm really disliking that AD&D-tier damage subsection.
>>
>>85504100
what would be a more B/X damage subsection??
>>
>>85504154
Probably lower all of those by one damage category (d6 -> d4. Etc)
>>
File: .png (6.62 MB, 4096x2749)
6.62 MB
6.62 MB PNG
>>85504191
fixd
>>
How do you run the evil cleric betraying the party in B2 so that it comes as a surprise?
>>
>>85504154
>>85504191
The entire section is unnecessary honestly, anybody with a handful of rounds under their belt should already know how much a pike or dagger does, if it's system agnostic it shouldn't even be mentioning distances and reload times. It's just really bad overall.
>>
>>85504228
not everybody knows the system that well. if its a manual for ANYBODY then suggesting some OSR flavored numbers is not a bad idea. and while this is jsut kobolds, the book as a whole seems to have lots of monsters some of which are probalby rarely ran. potentially brand new.
>>
>>85502753
I played in a DCC game with Ben Milton at North Texas this year. He was really quiet.
>>
>>85503925
That sounds cool. And no I haven't read Egil's Saga but I will look at it. Maybe I can find some audiobook shit for it on YouTube to listen to at work.
>>
>>85504254
like autistically so?
>>
>>85504254
>>85504374
Wasn't his previous career working with kids? speaking softly often becomes habit when working in care.
>>
File: 1626841759366.gif (1.85 MB, 235x240)
1.85 MB
1.85 MB GIF
Just started a new campaign. We have Migs the fighter with +3 STR +1 CON and CHA. Iliden the elven archer with sleep +2 DEX and a handful of +1s. Last but not least a cleric, Samuel the Repentant with +1 STR DEX and CON.
They hired two retainers with 10gp each upfront and also a half share of treasure each. One is a dwarf who rolled +1 loyalty due to the Fighters CHA bonus and the generous offer. The other is a fighter. Both have a few relevant +1s. I only rolled their physical stats. Haven't named them yet. Open to suggestions.
They bumped into some higher level adventurers on the random encounter table on the way to the dungeon. Just a roll play encounter. Found the entrance to the abandoned mine they set out to explore. The entrance tunnel landslides and they're trapped inside looking for a way out. They've explored a handful of rooms and found a gem that they can't get unstuck. Had to stop there. They're about to bump into some kobolds that rolled up on the wandering monster table.
>inb4 le no stopping in le dungeon!!!!1
tfw you're a has games again.
>>
>>85504398
I'm really happy for you anon.

My group is on a hiatus after about 2 years of continual play and I'm going nuts waiting for the next session.
>>
How much importance do you attach to filling out minor details for the sake of your campaigns immersion?

Things like writing a menu for the tavern, what sort of forage you can find in your wilderness, further detail on NPCs?
>>
File: WICKER.png (711 KB, 529x821)
711 KB
711 KB PNG
Also I think that the best thing Mork Borgs actually put out was a lot of the random NPC things like pic related, it's fun to just have a huge deck fileld with random NPCs I can use to fill a dungeon/city. Designs are really fun and evocative and I can instantly get a read about what this person is about/like enough to run them quickly without it being an uphill struggle.
>>85503600
ill buy anything that cunt puts out so yea
i dont want everything to be crazy horror shit and like classic stuff as much as new weird shit, plus the pages hes been posting have been real solid
>>85504001
i like that, treat it like a simple item
>>85504431
whats the next session going to be when you get back?
>>85504398
how are the kobolds reacting to them and what are they doing at the moment/what are the kobolds doing in the dungeon?
>>
>>85503424
>stocking every 6 mile hex
Which I definitely was arguing against.
I'm glad we agree.
>>
>>85504573
I'll have to wait another 2 months. Part of me wants to start from scratch and make a new campaign world, it's my first "OSR" campaign and it's had great longevity compared to my 5e campaigns, but the break makes it harder to pick up again.
>>
Are you guys all just making hex maps and keying them or do you create and center your campaigns around other methods?
>>
>>85504845
>safehouse
>nearby complex first two levels
>half a days travel out
thats all i map at first.
>>
>>85504431
Thanks. Hopefully you'll be back up and running soon.
>>85504573
>how are the kobolds reacting to them and what are they doing at the moment/what are the kobolds doing in the dungeon?
Haven't rolled the kobolds reaction yet, the party is unaware they're coming. They ended the session in a mine shaft between rooms on a turn with a wandering monster check. I rolled it behind my screen before wrapping up my kit. So we'll start next session with the kobolds bumping into the party and go from there.
The kobolds live in the adjacent dungeon attached to the abandoned mine. They've been pushed back to the main entrance room of the dungeon by the roaming skeletons that they are having trouble fighting. Their leader has decided to fortify this room. His plan is to section off areas of the dungeon, take on the skeletons in smaller groups and reclaim his territory.
The group of kobolds about to discover the party were sent into the west wing of the dungeon to scout and set traps.
>>
Does anything break in B/X if I treat all enemies as having 1 wound per HD ala wargames? I'm thinking about doing the same thing for PCs, maybe with a "to wound" roll so that lower level PCs aren't one hit kills.
>>
What do you think about automatic hits like in Into the Odd?
>>
File: falconry.png (22 KB, 349x236)
22 KB
22 KB PNG
>>85503944

>Do you think higher level campaigns are about more battles, political issues in the setting, or something else? Justify your answer.
They are there to transition you into miniature wargaming.
>>
>>85505620
Seems like it would make things a lot faster and deadlier, although oddly swingyer too. Might work with save vs death. Test run a few encounters from a basic module and see how it goes. Scarlet Heroes sort of does this, but its for a single player/pulp hero vibe.
>>85505733
I liked it at first but added in an order of operations: Declare spell casting, ranged attacks still with roll to hit, move, melee, spells happen, morale checks. Not sure it was worth it but I like it now. Damage to stats is interesting, really like that part. Higher level characters can sometimes tank a lot of damage though and the book's monster damage becomes inadequate especially with armour.
>>
>>85504845
I went with mostly the same as >>85504909
gave the players a rough in-universe map with area names and have been building as we go from a mix of my slush pile, rumour tables, faction updates and stuff that's come up in play.
>>
Anyone know a good source for new magic items for advanced DnD? I already used most of the stuff in the DMG for 2nd edition and the tome of magic
>>
>>85503732
What's in the skull hex?
>>
>>85506142
Dungeon World has a few interesting ones
>>
File: borkborg.png (195 KB, 568x455)
195 KB
195 KB PNG
Are there any OSR rules for butchering creatures/monsters & cooking while in the field?

>>85502973
no, no, yes

theres a limit to how many alt+255's your post can have
>>
>>85502973
>tq
For me, the 9-12 region is the point in the game where PCs start accruing responsibilities. The Fighter becomes a noble, with all the duties that entails, the Cleric is weighing in on major theological issues and giving massive sermons on the holidays, the Druid is dealing with his circle and upstarts trying to take his place from him, etc. Simply put, there just isn’t enough time for the PCs to go raiding dungeons like they did back in the day, and it’s as good a time as any to end the campaign and move onto a group that the old PCs are delegating to. If the PCs are hitting a dungeon, it’s in many ways coming out of retirement/getting the band back together, and usually because there’s just nobody else out there with the wealth of experience and magic to deal with it. At the expense of bringing up Matt Colville, I really like his thing of staying in touch with his old players, who still run their characters as movers and shakers in the background of his current games; it really nails that vibe of having moved on from one’s adventuring days and into the even more dangerous world of power politics.
>>
File: .png (25 KB, 1140x412)
25 KB
25 KB PNG
BROS math is pretty fuckin sick. if you have a 2d6 table (for that nice bell curve) consider rolling 1d4+1d8, same min, same max, same average, but the normal curve has a bigger standard deviation. and if that doesnt get your blood pumpin. i dont know what will. picrel

>>85506858
https://coinsandscrolls.blogspot.com/2017/07/monster-menu-all-part-1-eating-ad.html
also Mork Borg eat prey kill
>>
>>85490719
This is very, very good.
The only thing more I would hope for as a reader would be references to the sources of the material you use so that I might dig into them further.
How did you get the text from the sources that were pdfs, like Delta's Book of War? Was it a long process of copy/paste/format or were you able to automate it in some way?
Also, Delta did a number of blog posts after publishing the book that added more monsters and more recently detailed some significant playtest based changes to the the system--see his posts of 2021-02-08 and 2021-05-22. Unfortunately, he does not use tags on the blog so one has to site search for "book of war expansion" for the added monsters.

>>85491458
>all the shit you need to write down for level one of each class
Zach Howard/Zenopus Archives did something like this--see "Holmes Ref 2.0" at sites.google.com/site/zenopusarchives/home/holmes-ref
>>
>>85507309
now thats fucking kino. i am gonna have to make one for BSE and BSE Advanced cause thats what i plan on running. this seems pretty close and ill likely rip most of it off.
>>
Can you anons please post that list of introductory adventure modules pdf? Thanks

I'll run Tomb of Serpent Kings as tutorial, then I want to move on to something classic.
>>
>>85507373
It's in the OP
>>
>>85507237
Agreed, could be fun to use in a 2d6 system in combination with a kind of stress system. The more stressful the situation the swingier the roles get. Going from 1d8+1d4, 2d6 and 1d12 respectively.
>>
File: EmbeddedImage.jpg (616 KB, 1280x1656)
616 KB
616 KB JPG
>>85507372
Yeah, he's an Ace. He has shared a ton of stuff that is useful, interesting, etc. even if you don't play Holmes.
Shorten the url to sites.google.com/site/zenopusarchives to go up a page level for more.
>>
>>85507435
One thing I would change, but maybe thats just me, is leaving less open spaces between rooms. Makes the dungeons more believable as they take on the form of buildings irl, and also gives the attentive player an opportunity to find hidden rooms. (Bonus points if they have to draw the map themselves)
>>
>>85507430
1d10+1d2 (heads is 2, tails is 1) for really flat but same range. (One way to get 2 and 12, 2 ways for everything else)
Or if you get those really strange dice you can do 1d3 + 1d9 or 1d5 + 1d7 (impact miniatures sells them)
The key to intuiting the curve is: the more the dice differ in value, the flatter the curve. Down to the flattest curve 1d11 + 1
This concept is also extendable to other things, if you want more "average" monsters, take their hit die and modify it somehow. Like 1d8 to 2d4 and boom, you have a more likely to be average monster. Or a magic weapon that adds a d4 to damage instead of something flat.
Okay by now I'm sperging out but I just love this thing, if you do something like advantage but still keep more than one die you can skew it, so 3d6 keep highest 2 is skewed up, say for example your in an area of a dungeon that has a aura of happiness charm on it. (or the opposite!). Now I haven't done the math but I'm curious to see what happens if you do like 3d6 destroy the median. Does that take the center and split it? Or just flatten it??
>>
>>85507449
Caves and mines will have a different structure to buildings. Castles often have very thick sections of walls. I'd argue it's better to design based on locale. When I see a map like that I immediately think mine, it goes for a while then branches, with bigger spaces being carved out for storage or when a vein is struck.
>>
>>85507516
One more thought, if you want to make things easier or harder for your PCs without changing any of the technical stats, then simply add "advantage" or "disadvantage" dice to turn that knob. Say your monster has 3HD, well you could roll 4 and remove the highest, but say you feel like it needs further tweaking, you could roll 5 and remove the two highest. Now your monster is still a 3HD monster. But it's a weak one, most of the time (nearly all of the time, roll a few and record it just to see)
>>
>>85507537
That makes sense. It depends on the nature of the dungeon
>>
>>85502973
sup /osrg/ what are some good low/no budget osr channels that are just guys shooting the shit about the hobby?
>>
>>85503512
>What hook are you going with for the goblin grinder?
I'm not so sure, whatever works. I would probably start with the second you proposed, and then have some of them getting infected if needed. It's just that I don't see many things they can do before reaching the mill.
>>
>>85507803
Bandits Keep and Wandering DMs are the only two osr channels I really follow regularly, they're pretty comfy and low budget
>>
File: DLJyglKW4AA4i1B.jpg (34 KB, 767x431)
34 KB
34 KB JPG
>>85507803
>skin color chart
I absolutely hate the fact that Family Guy jokes are becoming reality.
>>
>>85507803
I'm a basic bitch and enjoy Questing Beasts content. But I don't think it qualifies as low budgdt.
>>
>>85507803
Our very own St Aug does his Clerics Wear Ringmail podcast, which I enjoy quite a bit.
>>
File: 1651760679147.jpg (43 KB, 370x370)
43 KB
43 KB JPG
Every day, every session, every thread I'm finding myself falling further into the OD&D+Chainmail abyss unable to relate to anything being posted, I'm ready to take it to the next level and integrate Outdoor Survival.
>>
>>85507803
Jon's D&D

>>85506142
Jesus, how many years has your campaign been going that you could possibly run out of magic items?
>>
>>85508683
The only people that do that are weirdos that map reactionary politics onto their bizarre elf-game preference.
>>
>>85508683
>I'm ready to take it to the next level and integrate Outdoor Survival.
If this continues, in a few years we'll all be talking about how we're starting to incorporate Kriegsspiel rules back into our Braunstein clones
>>
File: 1642183743421.jpg (393 KB, 800x1200)
393 KB
393 KB JPG
>>85508909
>Integrate Outdoor Survival
>Instantly become Hoppean anarcho-monarchist
>Converting to Catholicism next week
You weren't joking,
>>
>>85508951
Buds don't let buds becomes reactionary weirdos. At least don't talk about the multipolar NWO and neocameralist patchwork when we all go to the bar ok?
>>
>>85506142
Mayfair's 'Fantastic Treasure'?
>>
>>85508940
People have been going further back than >>85508683 for at least a decade, "Champions of ZED" and "Dragons at Dawn" attempt to recreate Braunstein.
>>
>>85506186
No idea, the map isn't mine.
>>
I know it's a bit against what people here usually want out of a game, but is there any good game that combines OSR style tactics, hard combat rules and random tables with PBTA-style character creation, social gameplay and roleplay aides (like how the moves help players play their characters less like themselves and more like their archetype)

I've had Freebooters on the Frontier, Beyond the Wall and Into the Odd recommended to me, but it seems to me like the first two don't really get deep into the OSR aspects and the predefined setting for Into the Odd just doesn't appeal to me at all
>>
>>85508814
I run different campaigns for the past 4 years but I dont like repeating them.
>>
I'm too retarded to understand how the maps of Caverns of Thracia work.
>>
>>85509466
https://dungeonofsigns.blogspot.com/2014/01/1-sword-equivilents.html
Here's some swords.
"Comes Chaos" has a bunch of Fucked Up and Evil magic items and a table for generating demonic weapons.
>>
>>85506142
Encylopedia Magica?
Encyclopedia Magica is a four-volume set that aims to cover every magic item in existence in the AD&D world, from Abacus of Calculation to Zwieback of Zymurgy. The series lists all of the AD&D magical items from two decades of TSR product, every boxed set, accessory, and magazine article. The books total more than 1500 pages across the four volumes
>>
>>85506995
I'm planning a little West Marshes kinda thing for a youth's center nearby.
I'm going with a slightly tweaked BFRPG capped at level 15.
At level 10, you can retire your character. If you choose not to, you get another chance the next level up. If you do, your character becomes a powerful NPC, and you get to decide what he does. For example, a fighter might become a lord and set up a castle somewhere, offering a new starting point for expeditions and also keeping roads and the area safe(r). Or he might launch an attack against some faction, potentially driving them out or at least weakening them. A thief could set up a spy network, which gives the players some extra info, rumors, etc, or go on a great heist to steal some magic item from a faction's hero, leader, whatever. A mage could set up shop, or create some magic items, or cast some major enchantment over the region, like lifting the fog of this dangerous area or whatever. A cleric could set up a temple so future expeditions get some bonuses as a bless, or purify some corrupted area, etc.
You tell me what you want, I set it up, and you make a new character.
I wouldn't be using these systems for politics and domain building. Enjoy your impact on the world and get back to adventuring.
>>
>>85510328
I'm confused. You're capping players at level 15. But it sounds like if they level up once after level 10 they get to make their mark on the setting and then are auto-retired. Doesn't that make the level cap 11? Or did you mean that if you retire after level 10 you can also make a mark on the setting proportional to your level when you retire? It sounds fun either way, I'm just a little unclear what you have in mind.
>>
Bump for Goblin Grinder from Mork Borg: opinions and tips to enhance it.
>>
>>85510551
The earliest retirement is as soon as you hit level 10. There's no forced retirement. Levels 10-15 cost the same amount of XP, so after 15 you simply get another chance after accumulating that same amount again, as if you were reaching another level.
The idea is that you get to leave your mark, with every level after 10 giving you a +1 on the WIP retirement tables. A fighter who makes it to 10 might be able to destroy the goblin bastion on the forests, unlocking a dungeon underneath and generally making the forest safer, but there might still be goblins and they might slowly start to regroup, maybe even find a new home. A level 15 fighter is much more likely to exterminate the shit out of them, removing the faction altogether but for a few stragglers which might end up being absorbed into some other group, or dying off.
So not really proportional, simply better chances of great success instead of moderate success. Failure isn't really an option, I don't want to be too harsh.
I'll likely map the roll to a d100. That way I can keep a simple "roll a 1, everything goes wrong, 2+ you succeed with varying possible degrees", so there's always that tension when rolling while still keeping retirement as a 99% positive thing.
>>
>>85504573
>i like that, treat it like a simple item
??? that's literally how D&D has done it since OD&D, they're called "Figurines of Wondrous Power", the Onyx Dog figurine was a favourite of AD&D players.
>>
>>85509570

Reading atm, there are a couple of spots where it becomes difficult to parse, but it mostly makes sense. Great module, although now I feel everything I make is shit in comparison.
>>
Glad the book is getting some interest, though I'm a bit surprised to see it here. Oh well.
>>85504100
This was corrected in a later draft. You're correct in that it's an AD&D-ism.
>>85504228
Also correct, but sometimes it's good to have it spelled out for ease of use.
>>
File: 1410135360860.jpg (124 KB, 600x888)
124 KB
124 KB JPG
>>85506142
http://dungeonofsigns.blogspot.com/2015/01/forty-fallen-empire-magic-items.html
http://dungeonofsigns.blogspot.com/2014/12/starting-minor-magical-items-for-darkly.html
https://wizzzargh.blogspot.com/2018/02/hella-cursed-mega-doom-swords.html
https://www.wizardthieffighter.com/2017/46-d100-magic-prosthetics/
>>85510026
Also good.
>>
>>85503910
>>85504202
>Complains that 2e MC entries are bloated, bland, and uninspiring
>Makes entries even more bloated than 2e
>Table fetishism on par with DCC
>Nothing new
>Of course based on WOTCbolds because once again, he doesn't care about TSR D&D
>"""""Systemless"""""" stats that make no sense outside of D&D because he's still terrified of numbers
KWAB (Kek What A Bitch)
>>
>>85511001
I'm glad you like it.
It was mentioned along with B1 and B2 as some great modules in the OP.
As a baby DM, I'm not sure if I would run it with level 1 characters. It seems like they'd need more than a few additional resources to go into it - how would a party of 4 or 6 level one characters survive the first gnoll patrol, much less potentially wandering into that ambushing wight in the chapel (which is again one of the first possible places you can go)?
>>
>caught between prepping wargame models and important meetings
>tomorrows derelict asteroid base map is sketched on scrap paper and has no scale or key, just labels
>will partially generate room contents on the fly

Lets do this.
>>
>>85512713
1) where the fuck is that image from
2) what system?
Have fun anon
>>
My DM just introduced patron play to our OSE campaign (https://waterdeeposr.blogspot.com/2021/06/real-time-play-braunstein-effect.html). Has anyone here ever done this? What was your experience?
>>
Thinking back to my original initiation to AD&D at age 13, I remember that we were always rolling new characters to add to the bench. We usually only played one or two characters during a session, but each of us had a few other characters waiting in the wings in case a backup was needed or if the group of players rotated and an existing adventure needed to be put on hold.

I really miss that way of playing. I’m not sure if that was just the nature of being a kid and having tons of time to play, but not always the same people available, or if its just a result of the hobby’s shift to a mindset if same level parties and TV-series like storytelling.

Nothing to add, just sharing my nostalgia.
>>
File: shattered starship.jpg (73 KB, 1024x708)
73 KB
73 KB JPG
>>85512860
I saved it from /tg/, sorry. I will be mostly using SWN with bits of Hulks and Horrors and B/X glued on.

This is just a small dungeon crawl while the party ship is in refit. They pissed off some space pirates who are looking for them so that may complicate things.
>>
>>85512952
I've seen several OSR adjacent posts/musings/etc that posit the open table format you're describing is the "true way" to play.
It's for sure something to note, and a powerful desire that seems like it would logistically help sessions run smoothly. The West Marches sandbox style of play complements what you're talking about perfectly.
>>
>>85502973
TQ: Personally I think high level campaigns should be primarily about political issues or existential threats to the world. My justification for this is that both of these naturally lead to large battles, or more dungeon delving or domain play. Personally I like it when my players get characters to patron level and start commanding adventurers themselves. Sometimes we have them take over the low level guys for an adventure or two, but their old characters are now the dukes and duchesses lords and ladies counts and courtesans. Maybe they need something stolen from an enemy kingdom, or they need to lead a battle. It's a pipe dream that rarely comes together but ah well.
>>85502995
Rolling
>>
TQ: Not applicable, true OSR gaming is doing a bunch of one shots at 1st-3rd level.
>>
>>85512985
FOE Alert, St. Aug is kino
>>
Rolled 2 (1d10)

>>85513031
fuck I'm rarted
>>
>>85512985
Fuck off Skerples
>>
File: Don't Retort.jpg (190 KB, 900x600)
190 KB
190 KB JPG
>>85513082
>>85513154
>>
wouldn’t recommend as a staple thing, but had a pirate adventure and one of the players used their pistol like pic related and we let it be used as a +1 to armor class like a parrying dagger or buckler.
>>
>>85509443
Through Sunken Lands is Beyond the Wall but for Sword & Sorcery. Playbooks ape shit like Conan and Elric, traits based on Law and Chaos alignments, cool ritual magic etc.
>>
To those who have ran B1: Into The Unknown, how did you stock it?
Roll the d6 in accordance to B/X stocking, and if monster choose/roll from the list, same with treasures?
Did you use your own list or the provided one?
>>
>>85502973
Why is Dwarrowdeep priced so high? Is it that good? I’ll just find a PDF for free but wondering about its quality.
>>
>>85514004
It's good, I preferred Barrowmaze though.
>>
>>85514004
There was a good bit of discussion about here a few threads/weeks ago--some praise, some complaints. Check an archive.
>>
>>85514004
I talked to Greg Gillespie at North Texas. He said mostly the price reflects the art costs which if you look at Dwarrowdeep you can see there is a lot of luscious art from big name rpg and comic artists.
It hardly matters how much it costs when it was available as a bootleg within a few days of KS backers receiving it.
I like it. People call it vanilla Moria like that’s a criticism. I quite like it since there is nothing else like it. Even the MERP Moria book is inferior.
Gillespie said he has already started working on his next megadungeon book.
>>
File: dwarrowdeep2.jpg (952 KB, 1408x1868)
952 KB
952 KB JPG
>>85514004
My general thought is that the production values are neat and a half, but there's a pretty big issue:
It ain't complete.

Basically, a whole bunch of dungeons and areas within existing dungeons are left to be randomly generated and stocked by the DM- even some areas which are pretty mandatory to go through. So it's not like Stonehell for example, where you have 'dead ends' in the megadungeon that are left up to the DM to decide whether they'll stay as dead ends or expand into new areas.
There's a huge load of 'ready' material within the module, but it still leaves feels iffy.
>>
>want to run an open table for a big bunch of teens
>in German

Very little material available. I'm working on a homebrew of BFRPG, which does have German a edition, but it's still a shitload of work to recreate the book with everything I want it to have, extra classes and stuff from different sources, etc.
I'm starting to think it might be easier to grab something like Openquest and let everyone custom make whatever they want.
Anyone here have experience running OSR content with Openquest?
>>
>>85514090
Agree, Barrowmaze is an example Freshman album syndrome. All that pent up years of creativity. But I’ve material borrowed from all of Greg’s books. Imo he is writing a very specific audience of grogs that just want more vanilla early 80s styled tsr material. That’s not going to appeal to many here of the younger crowd.
>>
If you want insane swingyness for a 2d6 table, do the following
>Roll 2d12
>Roll 1d4
On 1-2 take the lowest of the d12, on 3-4 take the highest of the d12
>>
new to osr, is there an equivalent of the lazy dungeon master or a guide on how to be a good osr dm?
>>
I need solo adventures/CYOAs to run with The Black Hack 2e. Any suggestion is appreciated.
>>
File: 1630976564138.pdf (133 KB, PDF)
133 KB
133 KB PDF
>>85514874
AV2YAM
>>
>>85514979
I've been thinking about the thespian one for a while.
Are you not supposed to let the stats of your character guide and inform their personality? A high str+cha low int type would be a handsome barbarian type, high int low wis would be the bookish book-smart-street-dumb type or the mad scientist with more brains than sense, and low int high wis would be Forest Gumpish.
Of course you should never do something like "I fart at the Duke during court because my int is low lol" or act like Shalebeard, but surely in the more "role playing" moments you should divorce yourself from your character?
>>
>>85515531
I think the point is: yes, you should use your ability scores to inform your character, but not to the point where your common sense is thrown out the door. If reality, wer're all somehwere between 9 and 14 across each ability score. The gap is not so different in the average that a character should be justifiably insanse.
>>
>>85512860
>1)
Uno Moralez
>>
>>85503910
That's really good.
>>
>>85503732
Just gun it. Advertise for a few weeks before on facebook and a flyer in store if you can. Make sure your system has especially quick character generation because you'll probably be getting some normies and you can't overwhelm them. If you can convince a wingman to come sit in even for a one-on-one, it'll make you more approachable when you're setting up. And if you set a schedule, keep turning up, if you become a fixture you're more likely to get traction.
>>
>>85516674
My character creation is a one page sheet I can print 5 copies of for a handout. I'll probably have 1 or 2 friends show up as well. I'll try to make sure I show up every week. My main issue is, I have 3 groups I already play with weekly, so I'd have to drop at least one most likely to do this.
>>
>>85516750
With that much gaming, it sounds like you ought to have a handle on it and shouldn't be waffling. Move one of those three groups to play in public and open it up to strangers then and just fold them into whatever you're running instead of worrying about yet another campaign setting or a brand new megadungeon..
>>
>>85509168
>Dragons at Dawn
Where can I find this? I cannot find any PDFs around
>>
Ok, I'm gonna buy Dark Albion and have a look at this OSR thing.
>>
>>85517398
Buy something that is not crap
>>
>>85517524
Like what?
>>
>>85504398
>Haven't named them yet. Open to suggestions.
Jerome the Human Fighter, aka Jerry Half-hand. Born to a good family of middling standing, Jerome’s father was a Sergeant (a commoner soldier of experience) for the local Baron, and Jerome enjoyed an unusual friendship with the Baron’s son despite their class differences. One day while sparring together, the Son of the Baron misjudged a blow, smashing Jerome’s off-hand and removing the pinky and ring finger. Being the son of a lord meant no punishment was to be suffered, but for Jerome there was no place for a half-handed soldier among the Baron’s levy, and the young man took his leave to seek out mercenary work far from his former home.

Dhartan the Dwarf, aka Dharr. Unlike most of his kin, Dhartan never was one for mining and living underground. The rigid castes of dwarf-folk grated him and as such he yearned for the freedoms the men-folk enjoyed. Leaving the holds meant one could never return, but that bothered Dhartan little, the odd dwarf setting out as the winter thaw came on. Dhartan had only just paid the last of his copper for lodging at the inn when a tall and galant man arrived asking for retainers on a perilous adventure of danger and mystery, just the sort of menfolk nonsense Dhartan had come looking for.
>>
>>85517398
I kinda like Dark Albion but OSR it ain’t. And it’s got some pretty jank rules. What about it appeals to you? We can probably come up with something better.
>>
File: yoon-suin map.gif (53 KB, 556x430)
53 KB
53 KB GIF
>>85517398
Dark Albion is not the standard but it's mostly fine. In fact I like their cleric class a bit more than the standard.

I recommend using some variant of Basic as your ruleset. People here will say "B/X" like it's the only kind of Basic D&D that exists but it's not. They're all effectively the same, which is why cross-compatibility is so easy in the OSR sphere.
You can just as easily get away with Labyrinth Lord, Basic Fantasy 3e, Swords and Wizardry, or even Lamentations of the Flame Princess (though there's a lot about that last one that stands out from the others).

Just read through them and pick the version of Basic you like. One of them will fit your needs. If not, just take things you like from all of them and put them together how you like.
You're the DM, go nuts.
>>
>>85517722
I like the idea of a historically informed setting rather than a "general fantasy" because the lore is already present - ie history. The 'War of the Roses' is what attracted me to Dark Albion.

>>85517749
Ok, thanks. I have a LoTFP order too.

Another question: Do you guys do tabletop miniatures for your fight scenes?
>>
>>85517761
>Another question: Do you guys do tabletop miniatures for your fight scenes?
Unless you're in a dungeon and the environs are so cramped that the exact spacing will be relevant, I wouldn't bother.

If it helps you visualize things better, do it.
If one of your players is a wizard with Fireball in their spellbook, then exact distances and exact room dimensions suddenly will matter a ton.
>>
>>85517834
Sensible. Thanks.
>>
>>85514179
That was just some blog shill samefagging and shitting up the thread, nothing of value
>>
>>85514874
Read some primers and get your mind joggin
>>
>>85517761
I need some kind of visual marker to even vaguely remember where everybody is and how far apart they are when they run into encounters. I usually use extra dice, coins, salt shakers, whatever's at hand.
>>
File: Thera.png (36 KB, 672x733)
36 KB
36 KB PNG
I play too many MUDs.

I'm blasting John Renbourn albums and I've had one too many drinks.
>>
File: 1659599520497.png (18 KB, 625x625)
18 KB
18 KB PNG
Bros... How do I introduce the concept of mapping to my players? Moreover, how do I describe the dungeon in such a way that they can map it? Like what do I say? For example, what would you say to players who just came up the south west most stairs near area 23 and 26? A tutorial somewhere would be helpful too...
>>
>>85518592
Part of the reason why I asked is because I'm thinking about doing some figure-painting and this would be a convenient convergence. I figure I might as well put them together, or maybe chop up some magic card pics for the monsters and use nice figures for the pcs.
>>
>>85518630
You'll get differing advice here. For me it's sufficient to just call it [SIZE] room of [MAJOR FEATURE[ and list exit directions (I start with cardinal directions, it might be easiest to just give them to your players, switching to relative directions afterwards)

That way they will create more of a flowchart, but at least it's better than nothing. I don't like to be specific about dimension unless they're taking a turn to measure it out. I'm not a hard ass about passages though. "You take the left exit and it travels 10, 20, 30 feet before splitting in a T shape left and right. There is a door 20 feet to the left and the right passage extends as far as your lamplight will allow.

Passages are spaces in between the major flow chart decision of dungeon rooms, but players will soon use procedure with them like they would with doors, etc. Especially if you stick pit traps along them.
>>
>>85518659
Brevity is key IMO, I know it's cool to hear about the pungent scent of mildew and the cyclopean stone pitted with deep earth rot, but it's not necessary to reinforce that all the time.

Notice how I just refer to the south door as "a door". I subscribe to the russian doll school of DM narration. Simple description at first, more info to follow when the players narrow the questions down, especially in low-light conditions.
>>
>>85518678
The point is that you want to encourage an environment of ASKING QUESTIONS, and you want to make players comfortable with doing that. If they think that makes them look stupid they'll stop asking questions and that will stop this style of play faster than cold pizza.
>>
>>85518630
Give this a read:
https://theangrygm.com/lost-player-skills-mapping/

tl;dr : it doesn't have to be super detailed. A majority of cases, thr map can br translated to a simple series of nodes and lines
>>
>>85518630
You come up the stairs to a short hallway. There's a door to the west and another to the south at the end.
Stairs are to the north, if they're not sure. Concise is good!
>>
>>85518659
>>85518700
>>85518729
Holy. Shit. You guys have no idea how clueless I was before this help. I legit tried to describe the map so they could map it "perfectly" as per the module. I feel like a fool! The reference to zork is the biggest click for me. I tried to make a map to zork when I played, and it never even suggested I make one. Thank you thank you thank you SO MUCH bros. God bless.
>>
File: IMG_20220802_152026.jpg (3.64 MB, 3645x2535)
3.64 MB
3.64 MB JPG
>>85519033
Glad we could be of service
>>
>>85517579
It is settled then.
Jerome aka Jerry Half-hand and Dhartan the Dwarf aka Dharr shall be the names of the retainers that are to accompany the party on their perilous adventure of danger and mystery.
might even read those backstorys to the players if they're interested
>>
>>85517978
I just posted my blog and replied twice. Seethe, cope etc

>>85518597
MUDs seem based but never could get into them, what's a good one?
>>
>>85519331
Depends on what you're into. I really liked Lensmoor and Aardwulf for fantasy, which I assume you're down with, but there's a crap ton of active MUDs out there that serve various shades of fantasy. Mudconnect.com is a great resource and it will point you to the most popular games out there.

The core gameplay is basically just like an MMO, but so much of the content and experience is user driven which gives it an edge.
>>
>>85520072
Those things are still alive?
I tried getting into MUDs like 15 years ago and it was already a dead landscape.
Although now that I think of it, I tried in my language, not in English... Well, time to try again I guess
>>
File: 1643449372537.png (249 KB, 490x368)
249 KB
249 KB PNG
Wait a second, I'm only just now noticing the whitebox magic item tables are designed to work with chainmail not the alternative D20 combat system.
>>
>>85518592
I actually really miss the 4e days because while I never played 4e, those prepainted plastic miniatures sold under the Lord's of Madness set and dungeon tiles were dirt cheap.
>>
>>85520447
White Box DnD is an add-on for Chainmail that doesn't tell you it's an Add-on for Chainmail.
>>
>>85520637
And now you have the privilege of paying fifty dollars for five kobolds or whatever they're selling that shit for these days
>>
>>85520818
Any idea how CM's 2d6 combat matrices with character levels? if I'm understanding this correctly they don't and magic items are way way more important for character progression.

Is this why Gary Gygax himself was accused of being a really bad Monty Haul DM is from?
>>
>>85520908
You're right, there's not an obvious way they should scale with character level. Most of these OD&D+Chainmail hacks seem to get around that by saying you get one attack per "Man" even on the Man-to-Man tables. The question then is whether you get magic weapon bonuses for each attack or only for your first attack. If you get them for every attack then that's very powerful.
I have no clue how Gygax actually handled it at the table, or if he even actually ever used Chainmail for D&D combat.
>>
The tables in the Mazes and Minotaurs DMG are really cool. Really nice city generators, mysterious island generators, temple generators...I like it a lot.
Out of curiosity, do people make hexes for IRL regions? Doing a hexcrawl of heroic age Greece using Mazes and Minotaurs sounds like it would be incredibly fun if you have the right players. You can go island hopping, travel to Crete, the players can BE the Seven Against Thebes, explore Asia Minor and Hyperborea...
>>
>>85521068
What book has the best city generating tables/procedures?
>>
>>85521041
The Strategic Review implies "fights as four men" - in man to man for 0e - would roll to hit once, then roll 4d6 for damage. In that case, +1 to hit wouldn't be that big - but man I wouldn't want to take it!

>>85520908
I'm trying out this method, personally:
https://batintheattic.blogspot.com/2022/03/multiple-fighter-attacks-revisited-for.html

Effectively, this - except M2M resolution at the skirmish level. The plan for now: a Hero would roll 4 attacks against 4 level 1 mooks; or 1 attack against another Hero; or 1 attack against a Superhero - but the Superhero would need two hits from a Hero before he took damage.

Damage is 1d6, but I'm planning to phase out hit points for simple concurrent hits with an injury table - for reasons.
>>
>>85521041
>I have no clue how Gygax actually handled it at the table, or if he even actually ever used Chainmail for D&D combat.
I've always found it interesting that most people who were around in 1974 and still play today consider it essential while people who came much later don't, regardless A&E which was considered the standard-bearer of tournament D&D rules considered chainmail essential.

>>85521367
>>85520908
People often forget about impetus bonuses, simply running at your opponent rather than away gives you a +1 which is huge on a 2d6, this is something nobody other than a fighter can do without dying very, very quickly.
>>
>>85502973
why are BX's procedures for dungeon crawling better than the games rules and mechanics itself?
>>
>>85521519
>People often forget about impetus bonuses
Likely because it's in the optional rules section. But then again, Chainmail and 0e both have a lot of nooks and crannies.

>>85521913
That is nonsensical: the procedures cannot be better than the rules as they are a subset part of the rules. But they stand out because of how well they work. The B/X dungeoneering procedures clarify and streamline what was in 0e, lock things together elegantly, and provide a framework for structured risk and resource management. This is a part of the rules that - since at least the WotC acquisition - has been neglected, hand-waived: and a lot of people new to the old school, encountering it for the first time, encounter it positively as such.
>>
>>85521281
I like using procedures and ideas from Vornheim. Some of the tables aren't fitting the mood I'm aiming for, but the ideas for mapping and encounters are cool.

For coming up with interesting fractions dynamics I do this: https://blog.drydoginn.com/2022/08/zangoza.html?m=1
>>
>>85521367
>but I'm planning to phase out hit points for simple concurrent hits with an injury table
Tell me more. I've been tempted to try to hack the armor and damage system from Striker, the Traveller wargame, to work with D&D. That has damage as a flat 2d6 roll with armor reducing the roll and high power weapons adding a bonus. Instead of HP you just have no effect, light wound, serious wound, and dead. It seems like a very elegant system, I just need to rejigger it from gauss rifles to guisarmes.
>>
File: random.png (6 KB, 961x721)
6 KB
6 KB PNG
Ah the wonders of random generation.
>>
>>85521041
>>85521367
Huh, I'm surprised at how well this works.

A level 2 fighter utilizing a d20 has a 55% chance to hit AC 7 while a fighter using CM 2d6 has a 58% chance.

A level 7 fighter utilizing a d20 has a 55% chance to hit AC 3 while a fighter using CM and 2/1 Attacks has a 54% chance to hit.
>>
>>85509443
>OSR style tactics, hard combat rules and random tables
So you take those and put them in Beyond the Wall. One of the big draws of osr is that the compatible material is easy to port over, modify, etc.
>>
File: 219259.jpg (80 KB, 899x1100)
80 KB
80 KB JPG
Is there really no way in the book as written to randomly determine how long a cave system is? You know the cave depth, the actual measurement that determines how much XP you get for clearing it and how many tribe members can live there? I don't want to arbitrarily decide a number, it's why I'm using the random cave generation in the book in the first place.

All I see are methods for determining the height and width of passages, and not the actual measurement that matters.
>>
>>85518592
I use a chess set for this. Works well.
>>
>>85521281
Yoon Suin and Welcome to Corpathium are both pretty neat.
>>
File: stupid dungeon wip.png (16 KB, 530x543)
16 KB
16 KB PNG
>>85524919
>no 45 degree angles
Lucky duck, that's practically all I fucking get from the AD&D DMG Appendix A.
I don't even know if I want to keep this or not.
>>
>>85525332
>>85524919
The weird fractals and diagonals are the reason the DMG tables are better than any modern electronic generator like Donjon
>>
File: Ragu.png (17 KB, 628x137)
17 KB
17 KB PNG
The good ship LotFP keeps slowly sinking.
Could this be the end of Greasy Jim?
>>
>>85527094
Which distributors? It's still up on drivethrurpg, and that's probably the biggest one for online distribution.
>>
>>85525091
Use Veins of the Earth's cave generation system.
>>
>>85527094
>aggressively pander to a market known for fad-chasing, hypocrisy, and spitefulness
>get fucked because of it
What a shocker!
>>
File: 1569339154532.jpg (58 KB, 839x265)
58 KB
58 KB JPG
>>85527094
>Well well well if it isn't the consequences of my actions.
>>
>>85527341
>>aggressively pander to a market known for fad-chasing, hypocrisy, and spitefulness
That's every market.
>>
File: 1564746098612.jpg (77 KB, 584x591)
77 KB
77 KB JPG
>>85527094
>The only place Zak still has a platform
>Still pals, despite it all.
>Lied to Jez Gordon about secretly having Zak on a project, burning bridges with the only competent layout person on your team.
>Dilute the brand with shitty ungameable modules.
>Go for shock and controversy, be surprised when people don't want that drama in their lives
>Market mostly to old metal nerds who are running out of cash, dying of coof, or quitting the hobby
Raggi can join Kevin Siembieda in the RPG Hall of Lingering Failure.
>>
>>85527385
Zak is only an asshat online, I don't particularly like the way he acts and who he goes after is often very question.

However Mandy has absolutely nothing on him and he has receipts, people who have much to lose by standing by him.

Fuck both the soft boy "left" for being such predatory opportunists and the right for only believing in women when it fits their purpose.
>>
File: typical day in osrg.png (113 KB, 661x953)
113 KB
113 KB PNG
>>85527500
Dude is an asshat IRL too. He is just better at hiding it. The mask fits better.
>>
>>85527464
Are you from Reddit? I legitimately don't know how you got everything wrong otherwise; Jez Gordon hasn't done any typesetting or graphic design since 2014, Patrick and Scrap still pay Zak because he did the typesetting, design and editing on all of their modules.
>>
Confirmed does skerples actually post here?
>>
File: aa.jpg (87 KB, 800x573)
87 KB
87 KB JPG
What kind of fantasy elements do you guys like to add to your settlements? I'm assuming that most of your settings aren't full of floating moats of earth, suspended above mountains with massive chains, crystals orbiting airships and pauldron-core cheesecake armor?

What inspires you? What kind of vibes are you trying to convey and how do you achieve them?
>>
>>85527607
Skerples has posted here for a long time. He used to shill his blog. Now he doesn't shill it so explicitly, but he's definitely around.
>>
>>85527707
I like Skerples, they should shill their blog more.
Their monster manual thing also looks really cool.
>>
>>85527654
>What kind of vibes are you trying to convey and how do you achieve them?
Fantastic Medieval, achieved by taking Medieval and adding Fantastic

>>85527500
>>85527536
Careful now
>>
>>85523340
Absolutely, brother. The injury table is here:
https://clericswearringmail.blogspot.com/2021/01/death-dismemberment-and-lingering.html
In terms of the procedure, between level 1 and 4, the number of attacks isn't too bad on making the game drag. Over 5 means individual turns take *forever.* So, taking a note from the link in >>85521367 , a character will lose a number of attacks equal to the enemy HD, but will inflict that many "hits" on a success. Higher HD characters hitting higher level enemies will still roll between 1 and 4 attacks - and if you encounter enemies of sufficiently low HD to allow you to roll more than that, I can switch over to mass melee rules.

If a monster or character takes a number of hits equal to its HD in a round, they roll on the injury table - which might be death, or it might be a minus to rolls/stats. Does it create a death spiral? From a purely competitive perspective, yes - so an injured character will want to be ferried off an active battlefield - but dungeon crawls aren't active battlefields. Because you have control over your engagement, you can mitigate the impact of injuries with clever planning: same as you can avoid excess hit point loss with planning.

>>85525007
It's beautiful isn't it?
If anyone asks where the THAC0 tiers came from - you can point them to that!

>>85525332
Fun story, I was building a map in DungeonDraft today that I had intentionally drawn in GIMP to be a challenge for the mapper - lo and behold... pain in the ass to trace in DungeonDraft.
lol

>>85527654
In smaller towns, not much.
But I love Zamora - I love the idea of mystic potion vendors and charm sellers of questionable levels of snake oil.
>>
>>85527654
I'm currently running a Barrowmaze campaign, the party are operating out of a renovated Tegel Manor, I'm aiming for a Wilderlands vibe which is a rather generic but noblebright setting where lawful evil won too hard so nobody was able to consolidate power.
>>
>>85527843
>It's beautiful isn't it?
I'm quite conflicted about a certain aspect of it though; it doesn't 'scape' for classes without additional attacks essentially encouraging skillful play through rules, should a cleric really be engaging in melee combat against a highly armoured opponent at higher levels? obviously not but I don't like it being basically enforced through rules.

I feel autistic right now.
>>
>>85527843
I have to be honest here, throwing a d40, d20/d12, and a d12 table at the reader all at once is kind of a disaster to follow. I like the final d12 table though, and would totally steal it. I like that it turns combat from a sharp alive/dead binary to a more organic death spiral that lets the PCs/foes judge when they're too hurt to fight and flee/surrender based on that.
All that said, how does wounding work with "overflow" wounds? IE Bob the 3rd level fighter fights something with 2HD. He hits with the 2HD blow and deals a wound to the enemy. He hits with the 1HD blow. Then what? If he was part of a party I'd assume the damage "lasts" the whole round, so another hit from an ally against the foe would cause another wound roll. But if Bob is alone is that second hit lost?
>>
File: CAM00899.jpg (285 KB, 1920x2560)
285 KB
285 KB JPG
Wilderlands from 1976!
From a time before TSR made Modules.
Judges Guild showed them to way.
>>
>>85528353
>But if Bob is alone is that second hit lost?
Yes. Representing the enemy's active defense. Same as if Bob were hit twice in one round and twice again in the following - he suffers nothing: though a lesser man who only fights as 1 would have been injured or killed four times over!
>>
>>85528567
Have you tried these rules out in play yet? On the one hand, I like the idea that higher level fighters need to be cornered by large groups of ordinary men to be wounded, or fight a monster or group of monsters of roughly equal HD. On the other hand, it seems like this means that by about 4th or 5th level a fighter in a narrow hallway can hold out indefinitely against 1HD opponents.
>>
>>85528567
>>85528353
RAW - this means it's fairly quick that one warrior simply *can't* hurt another - a first level character can't hurt a second one because he'd need a friend to get that second blow in. For that reason, I'm tempted to count a hit on a double as a "crit" which causes double damage - so a 1st level could hit a 2nd level, or 2nd could hit a 4th - but I'm forcing myself to play test instead of theory craft.
>>
>>85528626
Yes, and yes.
That is, yes: I'm running a game with these rules and yes: the intent is for higher level warriors to be Conan - piling bodies high around himself before being paralyzed by foul sorcery.
>>
>>85528678
Actually that seems perfectly suited to the sorts of combats described in myth as well. Noteworthy warriors duel other famous warriors, and anyone who doesn't get a sentence or two explaining his background is killed without any specific description at all. I like it!
Out of curiosity, do you have a link to the rules/system you're running? I think this discussion started out about OD&D/Chainmail hybrids, but it seems like there's a few of those floating about.
>>
>>85528723
Working system docs are here:
https://clericswearringmail.blogspot.com/search/label/weapons%20wits%20and%20wizardry
About 70% through a re-org and first-round feedback fix of the Ringmail doc. Weapons, Wits, & Wizardry - my full heartbreaker - is next.

There is a link, too, on the blog, over under the profile bit, to the CWR Discord, if you're a Discordite: several Chainmail enthusiasts and 0e chatter going on as well as dedicated R:MB/WWW channels, if you want to hang out and talk shop.
>>
>>85527654
I try to lean into the eclecticness and dorkyness not as an attempt at humor but as a way to build a sort of sincere but "liminal" feel.
I want to take some of the "wild west" feel that involuntarily came with an American view of medieval times and milk that for exoticism (while folding it back into other setting inspiration of course). Distilled vintage D&D from my outside view at least. A bit themepark but not lolrandom. In a way I'm trying to marry a sense of austerity with gaudy camp, gonzo yet understated.

Forgive my waffling I'm a sucker for chasing very specific vibes.

more specific for a settlement that would mean
>concrete box of a castle keep inside a dark age hillfort
>tempel compound takes some cues from cult McMansion
>infinity engine roman domus with baroque furniture
>way to large timber shack
>cobblestone dungeon hallway straight out of eye of the beholder or something
>the master bedroom + bath combo in a noble house where it is just slightly off
>Ork Alamo
>Drow main street is reminiscent of mall but also a bit colonial gothic
>a dash of random dungeon layout
>Goblin reservation
>that empty procedural generation feel but not
>high noon at Tristram
>weird underfurnished mordor-tudor
>>
>>85529210
>also anime girls in leotards with gaudy gem encrusted gear

Its meant to be something where I can plop down any module and make it fit with all the goofy stuff that might entail, that would have a map style compatible to dicking around in talespire and let me get involved in what byzantine rules strike my fancy while being bare bones in other areas and still maintain its feel.

Now I'm slowly beginning to love it and it receives my style-autism that tries to make it into a platonic ideal of itself. This is going to be the most high effort low effort thing... maybe not OSR by strict definitions.
>>
File: 1643081835045.png (613 KB, 832x832)
613 KB
613 KB PNG
>>85527464
>>85527094
LotFP is still the best B/X derivative on the market, so good that it is literally better than original B/X.
>>
>>85527654
>most of your settings aren't full of floating moats of earth, suspended above mountains with massive chains, crystals orbiting airships and pauldron-core cheesecake armor?
Not most, all of my settings are this in different flavours.
>What inspires you?
Depends on what I wanna do, everything links back to dungeon crawling though. If I'm running a BX game about gothic horror you might get XP for staking vampires or horrors with more xp being given out for more powerful horrors, and the challenge is in using your precious daylight hours to kill them off (because night is super dangerous). If I'm running some shit about martial arts (i like kill six billion demons a lot lately and would go to that) then maybe all the "magical items" I give out are just different martial arts styles (a technique for hardening your head is just different types of magical helmet). Ect
>>
>>85527654
Whenever I'm prepping stuff there's literally a demon and an angel on my shoulder aka ADHD arguing about "mudcore" vs. "gonzo" and I just write down whatever sounds fun and gameable. So I have a hard time keeping a consistent vibe.
>>
>>85529440
>Better than b/x
Please quantify that.
>>
>>85531243
It's B/X with a non-shit Thief class equivalent and alignment requirements more in line with B/X's original intention for Clerics and M-Us (although not exactly) than OSE's.
>>
Just got Stonehell, what am I in for?
>>
>>85527654
High-versimilitude "what if there was a early medieval period (castles, plate, iron, limited ships) in prehistoric sabertooth times". Magic is not a part of daily life for anyone except the mages, but peasants have most likely met a mage at some point at the inn and had a conversation with them.
The politics of the situation is vague because it's not intresting for gameplay, instead the historical situation is presented up front because it is intresting to tomb raiders of all kinds. You have, ca 200yo dwarven ruins, ca 500-100yo human ruins, and ca 2000yo human ruins of another civilization which has a different language culture to the current one.
In the wilderness and dungeons you can find sorta-neanderthals practicing a dark kind of magic, cultists which may or may not have summoned demons, bandits, various megafauna and all kinds of goblinoids. There is a distinct lack of elves, various half-human races like centaurs, minotaurs, ogres and such. Dwarves being the only exception, and even they only exist as a backdrop to the ruins which players delve. Maneating lizardpeople live deep underground, and present a higher-level threat to delvers.

Summed up, I'm trying to present a setting which is remotely believable as an alternate prehistory of mankind, sometime before the ice age, but with enough added elements to make normal ttrpg play possible. Rather than a mythological setting.
>>
>>85532944
But I've been considering dropping it entirely and running the dungeon as "the Mythic Underworld", in a non-explicit early medieval setting. And also having various half-human races be present. (and playable) The appeal of it is strong, mainly because it let's you consider dungeons as obstacle courses first and foremost, and just add creatures that create a dressing for the obstacle course. (the rust monster being a prime example)

But so far I have still stuck with the "refined taste" of a setting which I find intresting aesthetically, rather than the mish-mash fantasy of traditional D&D. Don't get me wrong, there is a icing on the cake of the mish-mash besides it allowing simple obstacle-course building, and I can kinda enjoy that too. But I find what I described above more intresting. But before almost each session, I find myself doubting wether I made the correct choice in this matter. Infact, I'm quite set on atleast having a way to access some kind of alternate dimension to reality which is infact exactly what traditional D&D is, in terms of monsters and setting, a kind of dreamscape to the "real world".
>>
>>85532427
Standard but good mega dungeon, easy to run but a bit terse. Prep the factions, double the gold, enjoy
>>
>>85532950
So run your setting. I run a Ancient Mediterranean setting/archipelago crawl. Plate armor is just heavy armor. Goblins become Kobalos and so on. Everything is reskinned to meet my setting but mechanically it’s BX. Though my players dont know that.
>>
>>85531265
True, but apart from the grindhouse edition with it's tutorial book, B/X is doing a better job at teaching the game.
>>
>>85532427
Pretty straightforward megadungeon with excellent formatting. The map overview contains all of the "special" room entries otherwise it's fairly unremarkable. A coworker buddy of mine loaned it to me for a bit and after reading the volume cover to cover, I was more inspired by how it was written/formatted.

I still think Barrowmaze is the best megadungeon ever written, probably because the miniature barrows that don't lead into the greater complex give players a sense of accomplishment and they're fun diversions you would find in a wilderness area without all of the extra bells and whistles associated with wilderness adventuring.
>>
>>85527726
He's easier to like when he talks less.
>>
>>85529440
Yeah, and the adventures are cool. Jim is a retarded ogroid, but I don't want him to go under.
>>
>>85518597
This is pretty cool anon
>>
File: 1659572721281394m.jpg (147 KB, 1024x692)
147 KB
147 KB JPG
How do I incentivise my players to use thrown weapons instead of bows? I want my setting to feel more primitive, so that someone showing up with a bow for a missile exchange is a big deal and it's scary that they can reach out so far. Do I make bows d6 damage and thrown weapons d8? Or maybe thrown weapons are retrievable while arrows aren't, so thrown weapons are more economical? Other ideas would be appreciated.
>>
>>85536618
This just sounds like you have a bunch of autism and your primary concern is sating it
>>
>>85536618
>Or maybe thrown weapons are retrievable while arrows aren't, so thrown weapons are more economical?
That's a pretty good one. Combine that with arrows being rare and expensive should help
>>
>>85536618
Damage as usual. Bows ignore 4 point of (non-plate) armor to make them scary. Arrows are more expensive. Perhaps cost as much as a dagger per arrow and are only retrievable on a 1 in 6.
>>
>>85536637
Correct
>>85536680
I like that. I can massage the idea to help differentiate thrown weapons too. Javelins have similar penetration, but are less likely to break than arrows. Thrown axes and clubs have more durability but less penetration. Thanks anon!
>>
>>85536680
>wood shaft with feathers on the end and a stone or even wood tip that 50% of people can make is as expensive as a hunk of metal requiring specialized professionals to create
Full retard

>>85536763
>Correct
Then you shouldn't run games
>>
>>85536778
>I want a more primitive game
>I look for ways to make bows more scare
>I admit this is entirely due to personal preference
>This is evidence I shouldn't run games
Enjoy your endless rehash of generic pseudo medieval D&D land I suppose.
>>
>>85536618
Apply Strength modifier to thrown weapon damage.
>>
I've been running a dungeon in my mind for 5 sessions and i can't find the willpower to sit down and map it, I'm afraid that I'll start to forget things soon tho

Does anyone else do that or I'm the only autistic one?
>>
>>85527094
>>85527385
I've genuinely considering submitting some more conventional but still LotFP-ish adventures to Raggu, but I wonder if he'd just poo-poo them for not being metal enough or whatever.
>>
>>85529400
>also anime girls in leotards with gaudy gem encrusted gear
Based
>>
>>85537215
80's to early 2000's fantasy anime aesthetic is high tier.
>>
>>85537285
Now will you include a dooragon girl race as class?
>>
>>85536795
>>85536795
>rehash of generic pseudo medieval
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bow_and_arrow
>The oldest known evidence of the bow and arrow comes from South African sites such as Sibudu Cave, where likely arrowheads have been found, dating from approximately 72,000–60,000 years ago.
>The earliest probable arrowheads found outside of Africa were discovered in 2020 in Fa Hien Cave, Sri Lanka. They have been dated to 48,000 years ago. "Bow-and-arrow hunting at the Sri Lankan site likely focused on monkeys and smaller animals, such as squirrels, Langley says. Remains of these creatures were found in the same sediment as the bone points."
>The oldest extant bows in one piece are the elm Holmegaard bows from Denmark, which were dated to 9,000 BCE. Several bows from Holmegaard, Denmark, date 8,000 years ago.

Any culture that can make a javelin, club, or axe has the skills to make bows and arrows, because they're already primitive weapons. It's ridiculous and masturbatory to nerf them just for your (and only your feels/vibes). Your setting is garbage.
>>
Ah yes, the monkey and squirrel bow is represented by the longbow from the rules. It needs no change.

In a natives vs cowboy dwarves OD&D game I ran the bows had growing range penalties of -1, -2, -4 and an additional -2 against plate. In play with was enough for the players to sneak up on dwarf camps and open with a volley of -2 arrows against the horses and then rushing in with stone clubs and axes that attacked with bonuses.
>>
>>85536618
Arrows have range and repeatability over time. You can carry 20 arrows a lot more easily than 20 throwing sticks. Damage is whatever.
Arrows are retrievable also, depending on impact, make, etc. while throwing sticks and such can degrade, especially if you're stuck with paleolithic tech.
Its >>85536637
and you're wrong.
>>
>>85502973
Which of Garry’s players was the OG murder hobo who’s ruthless efficiency has had lasting impact on the game even today?
>>
im looking for some rules on grappling, clinch and ground combat, i think there is a serious lack of men in armor struggling to pin eachother in my game.
>>
>>85527654
>fantasy elements
Setting is during an armistice between wars of religion time. The war torn chunks of the Neitherlands peppered with broken settlements, mercenary bandits, religious nut jobs and representatives of various powers. Its mostly a matter of making villages seem word and isolated, I've been making use of the Rakehell's tables and these. Gives the villages and settlements a mildly retarded and shell shocked feel.
>>
File: 1657644951679.jpg (1.25 MB, 1655x2331)
1.25 MB
1.25 MB JPG
>>85537593
>>
File: 20holydays1.pdf (776 KB, PDF)
776 KB
776 KB PDF
This one too for various notprotestants, apostates, heretics, anchorites, medicants and such that have festered in the area.
Each settlement visited has a monthly festival or holy day coming up that colours the inhabitant's activities, factions and such.
>>
>>85537630
In-depth grappling rules get fucky. I'd just go for something simple like:

>Standard attack roll to initiate grapple
>Grappled target can roll against paralysis with a bonus for high Dex every round to escape, otherwise he takes 1d4 damage
>Attacks against any target in a grapple automatically hit

You could maybe fuck around with the Bend Bars percentiles or cobble together a special attack matrix, but the more granular something like this gets, the easier it is to get lost in the weeds. That's how you end up with articles in old issues of Dragon where some guy writes in about his 3 page long martial arts dueling rules.
>>
>>85537169
They do a fairly wide mix of things. Some of the adventures are full retard like Towers 2 and that one about evil clothing, some of them are just well put together like No Rest for the Wicked, the newer city one or even Wight Power.
Make a good adventure, have the option of a monster being also a penis monster, easy.
>>
>>85538007
>have the option of a monster being also a penis monster,

But what if I want people to actually play the adventure, not just complain about it online?
>>
>>85537822
i know what you mean but this is the only combat rule i want to make more complex, as a hema and mma fan, its my autism.
>>
>>85527607
Very infrequently.
>>
>>85537344
some forme of Dragonic Disciple race-as-class would be pretty sick, ngl, but call me when someone makes an OSR bootleg Escaflowne or FFXI.
>>
>>85538272
I stand by every bad thing I've ever said about you, Skerp, but I'm glad you're still with us.
>>
>>85538272
If your actually him then write the entirety of Uriah Shambledrake. Or at least some mystery rules.
>>
>>85538331
It wouldn't translate well to a module. It's highly improvised, based on the PCs, the players, random rolls, and coincidences. It's like GMing while running down a landslide. You're just trying to keep your footing.
>>85538290
Thanks?
>>
>>85537794
I like this one, but "gentle repose" is a 5e spell that exists for no other reason than to further gameify the process of raising the dead back to life, as if 3 death saving throws aren't enough of a cushion against it.
>>
>>85538673
Chew bee fair having a spell that magically protects a corpse from decay and prevents it from becoming undead is a pretty cool idea. But from a practical perspective you're right that it falls in the 5e trap of just being yet another mechanical justification for preventing PC death
>>
>>85538673
You can actually blame 3rd edition for Gentle Repose. It was “fine” in that edition where death could actually happen.

Fifth edition just broke PC death entirely.
>>
alright guys i wanna do a murder mystery and skerples wont do all the work for me, so i am gonna have to do some work instead. heres my mental model to what the approach will be, thoughts on my thoughts needed cause i dont wanna work a bunch and then have bad content for my players.
>step one: find someone to kill, someone with not a lot of friends, and everyone knows a bit about
>step two, find their friends give them a bit of flesh, and something they were doing related to our victim that gives rise for a bit of secrecy, but they are generally helpful and want to assist (these will be the easiest to access NPCs)
>step three make a few enemies, and give them all motivation to kill, give a touch of evidence for them all, give them all an opportunity, give them dirt on other people, and give them all an alibi
>attach npcs to location(s)
>attach npcs to eachother
>step four take two of these enemies and make them hard to access, and the rest medium to access
>make one of the two the killer.
>systematically remove information until there is just barely enough info to deduce
>systematically add information until there is twice as much info.
>recheck relationships to see who knows what
then on running it
>slowly press through three layers, the third being the two, and by then have had given them enough info to solve the mystery
also
>blatantly steal from witchburner, 17th century minimalist wild witch chase, coc 7th ed scarlet letters, etc

>>85538383
okay. :( your blogs writing style is good btw. i have read a bunch of it. and am excited for your monster manual. it has lots of autism based on what i have seen so far.
>>
I just had the most retarded realization about B/X encumbrance while paging through Moldvay: individual coin weight is only used for treasure, weapons and armor. Every other bit of adventuring gear falls under the "Misc. equipment and provisions" category which RAW weighs a flat 80 cn.

In all my time reading OSR stuff online I've never seen anyone discuss this. Does anyone actually play this way? I always thought tracking individual torches, rations, etc. was a core old school tenet yada yada but it seems like RAW that isn't actually the case. The implication that this has is mind blowing and maybe AD&D poindexters were right and B/X chads truly are babby retards
>>
>>85538809
i play with the following encumbrance rules
>heres a small as fuck equipment box
>every item is an item, write it down a bunch of times
>run out of space run out of strength
>treasure is tracked in another box, max 1600 coins.
>you can hold an additional 800 coins of treasure if you drop enough shit to free up half of the equipment box
why make your players think except in the case where they are deciding how greedy to be?? also incentivises naming things (this daggers name is stab, and my second one is named D4)
>>
>>85538809
>>85538809
It is the one thing I dislike about B/X. No matter how many torches and other tools you carry it’s 80 coins. Encumbrance is such an interesting mechanic to work with the rest of the game and that just sours the whole thing for me.

It gets mentioned here once in a while, but not frequently. Probably because nobody plays it that way.
The issue to me is that once you make all of that weight matter, the encumbrance thresholds as given in B/C start to suck. It’s not the worst thing, just means you can carry way less treasure unless you offload all your supplies to a hireling (which you’re theoretically supposed to do anyway).
>>
>>85538856
That's a pretty cute system, actually. Do you have a standard equipment box size or do you just sort of wing it? I like idea of having a custom character sheet for your game that has a built-in encumbrance system
>>
dice autist here, i have come up with another procedure for rollign 2d6 that has a higher chance to roll 12 or 2 than 7.
>roll 6d6
>flip a coin
>on heads sum the highest two
>on tails the lowest two
>min 2, max 12, mean 7, modes are 3 and 11.
in anydice:
function: switch S:n {
if S > 0 { result: {1, 2}@6d6 }
result: {5, 6}@6d6
}
output [switch d4 - 2] named "1:1"

>>85538888
filerel is their char sheet. i print it on 8.5X11 spellcasters get a page with their spells thats actually full size and not obnoxiously small. the equipment box comes out to be 5x7 cm. alternatively, you can cut a 3x5 index card in half and write "backpack" on it and thats where they hold their shit.
>>
>>85538884
>No matter how many torches and other tools you carry it’s 80 coins
This is mostly conjecture based around the design philosophy of B/X, but I think the point is that when you're buying equipment and kitting yourself out you can only carry 12 spikes, 6 torches, 7 rations etc. at a time, the assumption being that that's your loadout for the adventure and you just tick them off until you get back to town and restock. The thing where a player chooses to stock their character with 30 torches is not feasible in B/X because of the way the game abstracts encumbrance—you buy torches in a pack of 6, so you can carry max 6 torches at a time.
What I don't get though is that the only thing preventing every PC from just stocking up with the entire equipment list is price, though I suppose it's pretty easy to allow for that and just increase the abstracted misc. equipment weight.
>>
>>85538974
>What I don't get though is that the only thing preventing every PC from just stocking up with the entire equipment list is price, though I suppose it's pretty easy to allow for that and just increase the abstracted misc. equipment weight.
use my encumbrance rules here >>85538856 , allow them to take a cart to the dungeon, but not in the dungeon, it WILL get robbed by goblins. make them spend their gold on XP by means of carousing, such that they are always broke.
>>
>>85538974
>I think the point is that when you're buying equipment and kitting yourself out you can only carry 12 spikes, 6 torches, 7 rations etc. at a time
>you buy torches in a pack of 6, so you can carry max 6 torches at a time

I understand your thought process but this hardly gels well with how people would operate in real life. Aside from that consider the idea that players will carry multiple weapons with them. Nothing in the rules states that you can, and nothing states that you can't, much like how the game never states you can or cannot buy more than one pack of torches at a time. Nevertheless common sense prevails - you may have your sword, and your bow, and you can drag that mace around if you really feel the need, even if your GM may not let you strap the mace to your person.

This also stretches belief because what if, instead of trying to buy my torches and my spikes and my rations, I just buy 3 packs of torches and bring them with me?

At the end of the day if I just have to acknowledge it's a restriction for the sake of gameplay, then so be it. D&D is very gamey after all. But just because it's a game and the purpose is fun, that doesn't mean the rules are good or make a whole lot of sense.
>>
>>85539119
i wanna buy three sets of torches, food and torches. i have the gold, and i am willing to pay a fair price here in town. i go to the market and shop around.
go on... make a ruling ref. do i find any shopkeepers willing to sell to me?
>>
>>85539153
X19 seems to indicate it should be possible to buy extra bundles of supplies not just for a single character, but for everyone in the party. Of course the same section on purchasing equipment states the DM allows only one retainer to be hired when the party sought two retainers, which I think is actually MORE evidence that (the editor's conception of) a fair DM should allow extra supplies to be purchased as nothing mentions that they have any trouble shopping for their goods.
>>
>>85537169
Raggi's been publishing Kelvin Green's stuff a lot lately, and Green's art and subject matter isn't nearly as edgy as some of the other things LotFP has put out.
Submit something to him and see what he thinks.
>>
Rolled 5, 18, 19, 13, 18, 9 = 82 (6d20)

>>85539247
okay, time to stuff that shit in my sack and go delving. any rumour of some SCHMUCK richfag who is MEAN to poor people (very common) if so, i want NAMES and ADDRESSES of him, or people who know him, or people who have similar interest as me (stealing shit) dice are my ability scores, im taking the theif class unless my dex is too low then whatever my bigggest will determine.
THIS IS HOW YOU PLAY DND MY GUY
>>
>>85537630
Contested HD rolls
Grappler and grapplee both roll 1d6 and add their level/HD. If the grappler loses, they waste their round. If the grappler wins, their opponent is immobilized and can only break the grapple after winning another contested HD roll on a subsequent round.
Grapplers automatically hit their target every round as long as they're not attacking with a ranged or 2-handed weapon.
Grapplers can forego dealing damage to their target to instead use them as a shield (treated as partial cover, +3 AC, missed attacks damage the grappled creature) or throw them 10' (anyone in the way must save vs. paralysis or get knocked over).

Grapplers that are at least 3 HD higher than their opponent can forego the damage roll to go in for a throttle, neck snap, suplex, or other flashy wrestling move that automatically subdues or kills the grappled creature
>>
>>85539298
Anon why are you like this.
I have met literal autists who exhibit better self-control than you.
>>
>>85539119
Yeah I don't disagree. It's a bizarre rule. But it absolutely makes cn encumbrance much easier than most people make it out to be.

>>85539153
I'd probably just bump the misc. equipment weight up in increments of 20 based on how much extra shit each player chooses to buy.
>>
>>85539338
you don't get it, man. the whole point of the post was to illustrate that the referee exists explicitly so you don't have to dwell on rules like this, just make a ruling and get to playing. discussing rules in detail and worrying about it is how you bog the players down with bullshit. your players will be spending mental energy on building a mental model, but they don't have the infinite mental energy. consider this, would you rather their mental energy be spent on the way the rules interact with each other, or the way the NPCs, world, monsters, and PCs interact with each other. the rules facilitate the fun, they dont contain the fun. its the cup, not the water.
>>
>>85538809
Here's my quick encumbrance fix
>the 80cw of misc gear includes the following
>1 waterskin
>1 ration
>3 items
>after that start taxing each additional item according to its size or however the DM sees fit
Simple as.
>>
>>85539405
1) dwelling on rules is fun
2) the better one understands the rules, the better their rulings become
3) discussing the game system with others is a good way to learn new things and expose yourself to ideas you wouldn't have had otherwise
4) "rules facilitate the fun" only when they are working smoothly and in harmony with one another, which is exactly why understanding the intention behind them and the influence they have on the game is so important
>>
>>85539485
That's pretty good, but I'd probably change it to 3 rations and a bedroll (and a backpack ofc) to be generous since no one remembers that shit.
>>
>>85539405
This thread is dedicated to discussing the game, getting bogged down in rules HERE so that I'm not bogged down at the table, discussing rules in detail to better understand them and to point out inconsistencies so as to better identify what is and isn't a problem in the book and therefore how to solve the problems that do exist.

Instead you're acting like a fag, telling me to think less, and rolling d20s for your ability scores which might be the most offensive part of this exchange.
>>
>>85539596
>and rolling d20s for your ability scores which might be the most offensive part of this exchange.
18d6 doesn't illustrate the point I was trying to make as immediately. but you do make a good point. better to bog yourself down here than at the table. on that point, I think that intuition is a great tool however and I think exploring the philosophy is easier if you get in the headspace of the philosophy you find most fun then use your gut to dissect rules. then allow yourself to pull back and dissect that. perhaps i should have been more eloquent about the way i presented that opinion, but I do think that that is the best approach. read the book then follow your gut then dissect your gut reaction to the book

>>85539515
You're absolutely right, I concede all of those points completely.
>>
>>85538809
Sounds like one of those B/X rules that everyone always ignores like traps only ever triggering on a 1-2 on a d6 and the roll under attribute checks.
>>
>>85538801
General tips:
1. Always have at least 3 factions, sides, or angles in the mix. The PCs can be one, but it's not them vs. cult, it's them vs. cult vs. law, or something.
2. Have a front side and a back side to any faction. Front side is the deniable bit the PCs see. Back side knows why these things are happening.
3. The PCs need a good motivation to investigate, and a good reason not to bail.
4. Assume the PCs and their opponents will use all available tools to aid them, especially magic.
5. Who-Dun-It is less satisfying than How-Catch-Em, and How-Catch-Em is less satisfying than Why-Dun-It.
>>
>>85538801
You forgot
>step zero: giving me a reason to care about a murder mystery when we're supposed to be playing a dungeon-looter system

>>85538809
It's from the LBBs too
>>
>>85539902
they specifically requested it.
>>
>>85539910
Well, I applaud you for running charity games for the retarded.
>>
>>85539910
>>85539721
Oh, also, soak in genre-appropriate source material as much as possible. Doesn't matter if it's Holmes, Columbo, Cadfael, or Dick Tracy. Get a sense of the conventions and schemes.
>>
>>85539902
>It's from the LBBs too
>Rations, iron, week 15 gp 7 lb
>Torches, half dozen 1 gp 5 lb
No it isn't?
>>
>>85540047
Where are you seeing that? In Men and Magic I'm seeing the following:

>Plate Armor 750
>Helmet 50
>Shield 150
>Flail 100
>Bow, Quiver & 20 Arrows 50
>Dagger 20
>Misc. Equipment 80

>TOTAL 1,200

I'm actually not seeing any hint of weight in pounds, in fact. The single volume edition similarly lists "Miscellaneous Equipment (rope, spikes, bags, etc.)" as weighing 80 coins.

Off-topic, but Swords and Wizardry does list weights in pounds, but
>A “normal” level of miscellaneous
equipment (not including armor and weapons) is assumed to weigh 10 pounds.

So yes this has been standard between early editions of D&D and even its retroclones. Maybe AD&D is the TRVE D&D after all.
>>
>>85507803
Dungeon Craft, but he delves a lot into 5e stuff as well.
>>
>>85539485
>>85539535
>no one remembers that shit
Clearly, I also forgot to mention a backpack with attached bedroll and empty sacks for treasure are also rolled into the 80cw misc gear at my table.
>I'd probably change it to 3 rations
1 ration is enough food for 7 days. If they need another ration I want them to spend one of their 3 items on it or take on additional encumbrance.
>>
My table just tracks pounds for everything.
>>
Encumbrance eh?

I just give players 8 slots for 120'
10 for slots becomes 90'
12 slots becomes 60'
14 slots max capacity, which becomes 30'

Light armor counts as one slot, medium 2 and heavy armors (banded and plate) 3. Weapons and shields use one slot each, save for large two-handed which takes 2.

1-600 coins take a slot, jewels, gems and small art pieces are weighed as coins. Containers are tracked separately along with worn clothing and items stack into one slot as long as they are found to be sold in their equipment list (a week of iron rations and 12 iron spikes for example.)

Too video-gamey, no shit. Only way that half of my group will track shit in this resource tracking intense game? Yup.
>>
I have never played BX with tracked encumbrance despite my only two DMs both being grayhairs with LBBs and everything.
>>
File: 1644339682743.png (242 KB, 1000x1000)
242 KB
242 KB PNG
>>85540910
>Playing a game about managing resources without the encumbrance rule
First time I see this. This is one of the rules that just doesn't make sense to be optional. It loses some of the point of playing B/X.
>>
>>85506142
Wonder & Wickedness by Necropraxis has some great system-agnostic magic items. My favorite is the meteorite lure.
>>
File: cloak_of_steel.jpg (61 KB, 200x259)
61 KB
61 KB JPG
>>85538274
Well, someone could retro-engineer Cloak of Steel if they really felt like it.
>>
>>85540910
Congratulations, you've met the tumorous growths that paved the way for WOTC D&D
>>
File: FMdHh4SVUAMKMmN.jpg (2.09 MB, 2124x1613)
2.09 MB
2.09 MB JPG
Week 5? 6? Of my first OSR game. More wandering looking for the exit. Having an ally get a crab-hand was amusing, but inventory is starting to become a problem. Granted the DM is using slot based inventory, which does have some advantages, but it makes the wheel-lock I got extra shit that I have to dedicate the slots that I could instead have plate and a shield for.

Really getting a mixed feeling about the megadungeon experience. On one hand, the emergent storytelling is fun! On the other, treasure for xp seams kinda stacked against us still. Maybe some of the magic stuff we picked up is valuable, but we haven't found any gold statues or boatloads of coins, and I'm still very much at level one for the next like 3 sessions.

The tension is kinda fun but it's also just a bit much that a rest only gives back 1d3 hp or one wound (which take up inventory when going towards negative hp, of which I have 5). I'm growing attached to this character but I'm unsure if that's something I should have at level one.
>>
>>85541510
It sounds like your DM needs to up the treasure values, or you guys aren't searching every room you come across. Or if you're searching every room your DM is expecting you to pixel bitch your way through the dungeon.
You are quite literally supposed to get boatloads of coins when you do find treasure, especially if you go beyond the 1st level of the dungeon. You also point out why I personally dislike slot inventory.

Pretty sure you're supposed to rest for like a week at a time, give or take. Some systems like to really fuck you and just leave you with 1 HP per night. I've seen some assholes suggest a healing rate of 1 per WEEK. If your character has lasted a while it's fine to get a little attached. Only reason not to get attached is if you literally just made the new character.
>>
>>85539721
This is really good advice just for general faction play. Thanks anon
>>85540236
Ah yes, one ration referring to a weeks worth, that makes much more sense than just a day's rations. I'm going to steal your system.
>>
>>85541118
>>85541485
Hot take: The B/X's Encumbrance (optional) rules bundle all your torches and shit together in an 80 coin package no matter what it is, so at that point, why even bother?
I'd prefer to just use armor type to set base movement rate, and tell the players they can carry a reasonable amount of misc gear in their pack (which is what B/X tries to do with the weird 80 coin thing anyway). When it comes to treasure it's easier to say "That bag of gold coins will slow you down" or "That treasure chest will require two people working together to haul out" rather than sit there bean-counting the weight of every coin.
>>
>>85540759
This is fine, but something to consider is that this diverges heavily from the B/X breakdown of encumbrance, and is significantly more generous.
B/X has a max carry capacity of 1600 cn, but characters begin having their speed reduced after just 400 cn. At up to 600 cn the speed is 90', 800 is 60'. And then anything above that is 30'. This means that anything over half the max PC carry capacity makes characters fully encumbered.
I'm sure the system works well in practice, but it breaks heavily from the """intended""" design encumbrance is an optional rule anyway though so who cares
>>
>>85541805
I know a bunch of people are probably going to call you faggy or FOE or whatever but if you're playing a more casual beer-and-pretzels game this sounds totally fine. As long as there is some sort of limitation on what players can carry and how fast they can move, different levels of abstraction and granularity are better for different sorts of games.
>>
>>85503910
What's the source of this? Hoping there are more roll tables like this.
>>
>>85541805
If you leave that open, it's a broken experience and it gets even closer to what we have with 5e today.
>>
>>85541805
>no matter what it is
But it's not "no matter what it is," it's "what's typical gear" and it exists to fast track the jump into the gameplay since it's intended to cover all the shit you bought at chargen
>>
>>85541893
My brother, the anon literally tells you the source in his post. It's from Skerples' upcoming "monster overhaul" book, which she has been teasing here and on Twitter
>>
>>85541830
Of significant note is that LBB gave you a maximum load of 3,000 coins, significantly more generous than B/X. In fact from what I could read note: I may be retarded you don't even lose any speed until you hit the 3k mark, at which point your speed is reduced by half. Armor, then, is the only thing that affects your speed otherwise.

This is another thing that bothers me in B/X actually. Not only does it handwave away miscellaneous equipment, but its encumbrance thresholds are very different - to the point that wearing metal armor and carrying ANY treasure will reduce your speed. 1 coin, 100 coins, same effect.

In fact... it's a little bit confusing but the coin weight thresholds only matter at all if you are unarmored.
Wearing leather armor plus ANY treasure, from what I can parse, means your speed is the same as 601 coins (60'). A very stupid RAW interpretation then is that you could carry 801 coins and leather armor, take off the leather armor, and then your speed would DECREASE. Common sense should prevail obviously but that by itself shows you an inconsistency in the rules.

B/X's encumbrance sucks. Change it however you see fit, you can't do much worse.
>>
>>85541945
>she
my day is ruined
>>
>>85541947
IIRC, the encumbrance in LBB is a byproduct of chainmail, so the values are all based on a war game and not dungeon crawling. As such, wearing heavy armor decreases your speed to that of a heavy foot soldier regardless of what you're carrying. Also on page 15 of Men & Magic, it says a character at 1200 cn moves at 6", and half speed starts at weights over 1500 cn. Still more generous than B/X, but not as freeform as what you were thinking. Also in OD&D nearly all the weapons and armor weigh more than in B/X.

The B/X encumbrance system is a little funky until you realize that, similar to OD&D, it is more affected by armor than by equipment carried, despite the OSR's fixation on carry capacity.
Honestly the way I choose to do it is disregard the armor restrictions and just go purely off coin weight. It makes more sense to me that way and it's easier on the players.
>>
>>85541901
>But it's not "no matter what it is," it's "what's typical gear" and it exists to fast track the jump into the gameplay since it's intended to cover all the shit you bought at chargen
The point is it's a handwave either way, it's up to the DM and the players to be reasonable as to how much counts as "typical gear" whether or not you specifically call it out as being exactly eight pounds. The B/X system doesn't help you if you want to be more granular than that.
>>
>>85542057
meant for >>85541911
>>
>>85542029
Ah you're right. I misunderstood the table that I saw in the single volume book. But then this is STILL difficult to understand.

>Load in gold pieces equal to 12" movement -- 750
>Load in gold pieces equal to 9" movement -- 1,000
>Load in gold pieces equal to 6" movement -- 1,500
[...]
>Maximum Load/Person at half movement speed -- 3,000

Now I can understand how the 3,000 cap interacts with the other movement rates but I'm not alone in thinking this is dodgy to understand, right? Do you have 12" movement from 0 to 750 coins? The obvious answer is yes. Do you have 12" movement from 750 to 999 coins? That's how I'm reading it... but then the entry in the table seems superfluous. Do you have 9" movement from 1,000 to 1,499, or from 751 - 1,499, or....

I'm not just fucking stupid, right? Clearly a ruling needs to be made but how can I even make a ruling that makes sense and that I'll remember without needing to refer to it at the table on a regular basis?

Of course with all of my bitching, I finally opened up Mentzer's Expert book and realized he "fixed" it all for me. 2,400 coin cap, add up the weight of all your shit, disregard armor thresholds entirely. All I need to do is adjust coin weights of some items (one bundle of torches costs a whopping 120 encumbrance???)

Need to open that fucker's book more often.
>>
>>85538961
Name of the font?
>>
>>85542101
>(one bundle of torches costs a whopping 120 encumbrance???)
Maybe he's also taking physical space into consideration. It's one thing to say "a few sticks of wood are very light" and leave it at that, but if you're putting everything in a pack then six torches bundled together would actually take up a pretty hefty space.
>>
>>85538673
I don't have it as a regularly available spell. There being one village that can once a year, if you get the body to them fast enough, preserve the corpse a bit seems fine.
>>
>>85540759
I do pretty much that but str=slots. Overload=half movement, negatives to x:6, etc.
The players have an index card as their pack, the first 3 things listed are easy to get at quickly, everything else takes a combat round to root through your shit.
>>
>>85538673
Back in the day, we pickled the corpses of adventurers until we could afford to bring them back to life. Outside of the barrel was labeled with their heroic deeds. Stored them in the crypt, topped up the vinegar every month.
>>
>>85542101
It seems like you are looking at the tables wrong. You have 14" of movement up until 750 cn, and then from 750-999 you have 12" of movement, and from 1000-1499 you have 9", and so on.
>>
These seems like a better place to ask than /pgg/: in the development of 3e in the late 90s, how large of an influence were Players Options: Combat & Tactics and Skills & Powers? I remember reading a blog post about critical hits how 3e adopted something with strong roots in 2e Combat & Tactics crit rules.
>>
>>85519331
It's not fantasy but HellMOO is the gold standard to me
>>
>>85514979
Dungeon Master Foo Discourses on the Unified Mechanic has always been my favorite
>>
>>85542369
>how large of an influence were Players Options: Combat & Tactics and Skills & Powers?
They basically made 3e based entirely around that.
>>
>>85538809
I really like how they did it here.
>>
>>85542369
> Players Options: Combat & Tactics and Skills & Powers
These were proto-3e, the authors of these books went on to design 3e after the WotC buyout
>>
File: 1619686541850m.jpg (68 KB, 1024x576)
68 KB
68 KB JPG
>>85541777
>I'm going to steal your system.
I hope it works well for you, cheers.
Mom! Mom come look! An anonymous user on this mongolian underwater basket weaving forum is taking my advice for his make believe elf games!
>>
File: Mom-Taking-Picture.jpg (160 KB, 836x764)
160 KB
160 KB JPG
>>85543525
>>
>>85543573
>would
>>
>>85538712
Such a spell exists in 1e Forgotten Realms called 'Nulathoe's Ninemen'. But it's a 5th level spell because fucking with the natural order of things is a big deal, I guess. Being a high level spell balances it out in my opinion. 3e's Gentle Repose is a fucking cheatcode because of how cheap it is.
>>
>>85513039
>TQ: Not applicable, true OSR gaming is doing a bunch of one shots at 1st-3rd level.
This but unironically, high level OSR is bad both mechanically (high level wizards achieve godhood, high level mundies achieve more hp) and conceptually since you're playing Crusader Kings but with superheroes and it's anyone's games how that'll be handled (I deleted acks before I got to the domain rules because I looked at the classes)
>>
>>85502973
Give me some module writing advice. I'll write a hexcrawl. What are some MUST things?

Any readings I can check?
Any examples besides that Hot Springs? Any old-school hexcrawl primary examples?
>>
>>85543573
Hoo-lee-shiet, that's an OSR blogger? I have always imagined you as fa/tg/uys
Link to her blog?
>>
>>85541777
>Ah yes, one ration referring to a weeks worth, that makes much more sense than just a day's rations. I'm going to steal your system.
M8, that's by the book. Always has been.
>>
So, Is it me or is the implied OD&D setting way higher level than Greyhawk? It really seems like level 8~11 persons are quite common if not multiple in every village, in particular clerics.
>>
File: Cycladean Draft.pdf (642 KB, PDF)
642 KB
642 KB PDF
>>85521068
>>
>>85544510
https://coinsandscrolls.blogspot.com/
>>
>>85521068
>>85544608
>>
>>85544597
Oh? Where does it imply that? I can think of the wilderness castle encounters but I'm drawing a blank on towns being full of high level characters.
>>
>>85544501
>advice
Lungfungus did an interesting series of blogposts about hex crawling.
Evils of Illmire and Fever Swamp are both worth looking at/running.
I have mixed feelings about the generation methods in An Echo Resounding but its interesting, also to contrast with ACKs, which is also interesting.
Beyond the Wall's Further Afield threat playbooks are further material for developing over time hex world factions etc.
Read 10 foot pole's best of, loot those.
I forget which blogger took a PF series and condensed it into an actually useable hex crawl but that was neat too.
Isle of Dread if you haven't.
>>
>>85544798
Who is writing the frankly incredibly common scrolls considering the level required and the amount of time it takes to create just one?
>>
New Thread
>>85544984
>>85544984
>>
>>85544547
The book says "standard rations: unpreserved food for 1 person/1 week"
Rations (plural) always made me think that one ration=one day of food. When the anon said you get "1 ration" it was a little ambiguous.
>>
>>85545034
Nobody is writing them, you find them in ancient ruins don't you? The scroll writers are long dead, I should think.
>>
>>85545034
They're likely relics from an era where magic was more advanced, same many other magic items.
>>
>>85544967
Thanks, anon

>>85545034
scribes

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.