[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: gollumwantsis.jpg (843 KB, 2131x1241)
843 KB
843 KB JPG
Gollum was a based Solo Player Edition
A thread for people who play single player role playing games.
Previous thread: >>85269889
Discord: https://discord.gg/JKeyHcU
FAQ/Q&A, links, topics, and games: https://rentry.org/srpgg

QsOTD: What makes a good villain for a solo game?
>>
>QsOTD: What makes a good villain for a solo game?
Dignity
Self awareness
Friends
>>
Now I know my solo game is much better then most, if not all the solo games run by others out there. The trouble I'm having is figuring out how to prove it- any suggestions?
>>
>>85383651
Whip it out and t-pose
>>
>>85383248
Personality and relationships. Motives are meh, it's how they act and how they treat others that makes them shine.
>>
>>85383248
Thread mascot?
>>85383651
You may submit a storypost for peer-review.
>>
>>85383651
Things aren’t inherently better, they have to be judged better by a subject.
> if you’re the subject, then you don’t need to prove it, you simply make the judgement.
> if others are the subject, ask yourself why you think they would judge it to be the best.
It might be that you’re trying to prove B, with only A to go on.

> qotd
The best villains are large conglomerates, collections of baddies working together, or someone with a lot of contacts. The more connected your villain is to the world, the easier it will be to integrate random events related to them.

Also: I got sick of having to update all my hand-drawn character sheets every time I tweak something, so I’m making an app to track it all.
>>
>>85384133
I use a mind palace to store all my solo games information.
>>
File: MSP - Nioh Dude.png (995 KB, 1630x670)
995 KB
995 KB PNG
I love it when the game takes a weird turn because of something I decided on a whim.
>Decide to make a new solo campaign about a gaijin samurai hunting monsters in fantasy not!Japan.
>Using GURPS because it's got the right combination of detailed combat and rules for cultural familiarity and language learning.
>Make a scout/tracker who was on an exploration ship which was destroyed during a mutiny.
>My starting loadout is the stuff I managed to cram onto a small boat before hauling ass because the powder magazine was about to explode.
>Got some money left over after getting my survival gear, and GURPS Low-Tech has stats for buying rugs.
>Fuck it, get a nice rug that I saved from the captain's quarters. Could be useful as a trade good.
>Wash up on the shores of Eastern Fantasy Land. Take all my stuff with me, including the rug.
>Scare off a bunch of kids with a bad reaction roll. I fluff it as them mistaking me for an oni because I'm tall and carrying the rolled-up rug over my shoulder made it look like a giant club.
>Decide to try my luck at wilderness survival in the forest until I get an opportunity to meet the locals under more controlled conditions.
>Gets cold at night, use the rug for warmth.
>Roll a random encounter in the morning. It's not monsters, it's not bandits, it's a huge samurai battle.
>Due to a good camouflage roll, there's a melee right next to my improvised shelter but they don't notice me.
>It's a 1v2, so I decide to help out the outnumbered guy.
>Burst out of the branches like a ninja, shank one guy with my survival knife.
>Guy I sided with manages to kill his other opponent, but takes a bad hit.
>I drag him away from the battle. Later turns out that his side lost.
>About to do first aid when I realize that I left my backpack with supplies behind.
>Also left my rug behind.
>Samurai bro rolls a crit success on his HT, recovers enough to walk.
>Leads me back to his camp and introduces me to his daimyo.
>Still not sure what happened to my rug.
>>
>decide to play a game of The Final Girl for fun
>most of the 12 PCs are decent people trying to help their friends
>assholes have almost no interaction with the other PCs
>both characters with the best chance to live ended up dying because they gave cards to save their friend
>final girl... her, boy was the dumb bodybuilder teen
>so dumb I couldn't even play him as a mean dudebro, he was just nicely dumb
>he's still not sure what the hell happened and who was under the mask of the slasher
>a nice little old lady and the shy lesbian bookworn died saving his life
>the old lady broke a flower vase on the slasher's head
>he picked one of the biggest shards to disembowel her
>bookworn made noises to drive the killer away from the bodybuilder's hiding place
>he threw a fire poker at her piercing her torso through and through
No more teen party in the suburbs for the bodybuilder, I guess.
Time for him to get some quiet time in his uncle's cabin in the woods to get over his trauma.
>>
File: rush-week.jpg (52 KB, 1280x720)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
>>85384698
I didn't have any good idea for the killer, so I just went with an underrated non-cult classic.
>>
>>85384307
If only shquishware was as reliable as software..
>>
File: giphy.gif (659 KB, 480x360)
659 KB
659 KB GIF
>>85384814
It is. All you have to do is sleep for 2 hours a night for 15 years straight and it unlocks things in your brain you never dreamed of.
I can't forget anything anymore. It's a problem when it's things that have bad feelings associated with them. I can relive shit that happened 10 years ago like it was yesterday. But I can't really control when it comes back. It's the price to pay to have access to all my conscious memories.
Now I'm working on getting access to all my unconscious ones. The things I saw and heard but wasn't paying attention to. My baby years. All of it.
>>
>>85384550
the rug really tied the room together
>>
What's the most fun character you played?
One of my recent ones was a little goblin. It was a random character choice, I don't think I ever wanted to play a goblin. He was a mix of a megalomaniac loser with extreme luck when it counted.
He's responsible for the destruction of an entire kingdom by 3 rival dragons. But nobody knows he is. Not even him. The princess of that kingdom is in love with him (love potion from the sleazy alchemist who wanted to marry her gone wrong), not that he cares (humans, urgh).
He's also living in an old cave who turned out to be an ancient dwarf diamond mine that was never fully exploited, so he rich. He discovered the diamonds after he was almost killed by an ogre who destroyed a cave wall and was killed by the falling rocks because of a fumble.
It was a very tongue-in-cheek adventure, but I never fudged the rolls.
>>
>>85385175
My goblin character as he sees himself.
>>
>>85385239
Reality.
>>
>>85384890
Not the 2 hours for 15 years part, but same. I can, with a bit of thinking, go back to any moment. I like to call it like a movie with bookmarks. Certain events are bookmarks and I can skip to those then fast forward or backwards to where I need. Most things aren't important enough to warrant being marked ir ever remembered, but when I'm going through them I have to. Makes me amazing at trivia. Makes my head hurt and never forgive. Hard to when it's all in your brain like that.
>>
I'm having a problem recently. I may even call it a "major problem" because it's preventing me from enjoying solo play. I'm having trouble deciding which character, or which archetype of three that I want to play.
Basically, what I do is I play a game as a big warrior , then as I'm playing I think how cool it would be if I were a sneaky assassin instead. So then the next session, I make an assassin. But then I keep thinking about how cool a wizard would be. So then I make a mage-type. But while I play the mage I can't help but think how simpler and how much more aesthetic a giant warrior king would be by higher levels. And I just do this over and over.
>>
>>85387014
Play them all in the same game/setting. Switch when you feel like it. Tie them into a similar place or area so you can re-use and deepen it.
>>
>>85387031
Hmmm... That's not a terrible idea.
>>
>>85387040
I've done it before and I'm doing it with my current ACKS game, since it lends itself to multi-PoV action well.
>>
File: Piko stats.png (268 KB, 3160x3067)
268 KB
268 KB PNG
How do you like your adventuring companions?
>>
>>85387014
A solotion that is minimally intrusive is to make an adventurer guild, or a keep situation. make your games more "serialized" one off adventures where they return (or dont) to a centralized area where a bunch of other potential playables are. thus you have one one world, but can switch off when wanted.
>>85387073
May I ask why? is it its follower system? I skimmed it a while ago but dont remember most if it.
>>
>>85389894
>why is it a good multi-PoV game
It is simulationist with rules for everything, while the base core is OSR and easy to understand. The entire game is built so it all connects correctly - you can scale your adventurers up into lieutenants and then barons/guild owners/mad wizards that have a retinue and small army, then run it with detailed, excellent wargaming that can account for fantasy stuff like dragons, wizards, and amazing fighter commanders.
It also has abstraction rules for clearing a dungeon (if you send minions) or running a battle.
Doing all this, it's encouraged to keep track of things day by day for your PCs. This enables you to run the dungeon with one group, have another off trying to rob nobles, and then run Patrons (important NPCs) doing whatever their goals and aims are. I usually have a mix of immediate Patrons that are working with/against characters, and distant, generally more powerful ones. Once you are already tracking stuff it gets easier to manage those month to month, and you can skip around to different PoVs and zoom and play.
In my game I have
>dwarven tomb raiders trying to pay off a family debt
>krom the barbarian and friends (murderhobos)
>a zaharan darklord rising in power, just gained control of his first beastmen tribes
I'm not in any rush and it's fun to see stuff develop in the borderlands
>>
>>85390059
That sounds dope, is it easy to run on top of other rulesets? I'm pretty happy using GURPS at the moment.
>>
>>85390059
ah yah, i remember that. I mentalized it as a more coherent/referencable AD&D in its simulationist nature.

though the tracking part seems particularly intriging. im interested inhow that all works for solo, since i always thought going more simulationist would be gard with a single person as player and world manager.
>>85390142
from what i remember the world syatems are pretty seperate from the game, so probably.
>>
>>85390142
>run on top
pretty easy if you use the higher stuff to track everything, especially if you're used to solo-ing

>>85390198
>tracking
It was a bit of a learning curve for me, I had to get the books and learn the system - then check what other people had done to run games and snatch their spreadsheets. Once I got used to it, it was fine - I was concerned it would suck and take too much time but it's pretty smooth since I bounce around to different characters. I've solo-ed a while, though, so I'm also comfortable my oracles and tools for that.
The easy side is that I can click some buttons and get a fully populated hex, or a pool of henchmen, or a random encounter - when I'm running the game I don't have to 'invent' a lot on the fly once things are in motion.
>>
What have you guys been reading? I recently bought "T&T Solo Design Guidelines: HOW TO WRITE A SOLO".
>>
There were a bunch of d20 little print-and-plays I saw in a youtube video, but I can't for the life of me remember what were their names.

They essentially would present you with a scenario and make you roll through it. Anyone has any clue?
>>
File: 1634980952765.png (109 KB, 203x266)
109 KB
109 KB PNG
>>85392658
>T&T Solo Design Guidelines: HOW TO WRITE A SOLO
throw the pdf my way, kind anon?

>>85392667
Try Fabled Lands Book I
>>
File: reading.jpg (183 KB, 1920x800)
183 KB
183 KB JPG
>>85392658
less read more play is my motto
>>
>>85392712
Lewd RPG General is that way, anon
>>
>>85392712
What do you want to know and I'll just write about it here. It's about gamebook writing advice. I just wanted to know how it worked so I bought it for like $4. Gamebooks are cool. I'm uncreative so I can never think of my own interesting choices or their results so I much prefer being presented them. I also don't have much experience playing solo rpgs so I've been fumbling around with my own adventures and was curious if these published solo adventures were better than what I've done and they kind of are.

What I learned helped me improve my solo gaming. I've got to present myself with choices; the difficult thing is to be aware of ALL my options. A lot of the time it doesn't occur to me that there is the opportunity to do something. Like one example in the book is about smuggling drugs on a boat. The first thing that happens in the adventure is a patrol appears which you can avoid, bribe, or dump your cargo. This idea of listing my options never occurred to me in my solo games. Before I would just think of one action and go with that but now I'll start listing my alternatives.
>>
>>85392995
I've never played a written solo adventure. Currently trying Fabled Lands, and it's pretty much CYOA with some dice rolling in between.
I've been told that T&T was built with solo in mind but I've never played it. Is it any different?

Also, currently developing my own solo game, which has more of a "sandbox" approach, so I want to learn a bit of a streamlined approach, too. because in an adventure module most interaction with key NPCs will require "for X go to 1, for Y go to 2" type of thing. Is the mechanic any different in T&T for such occasions?

> for like $4
that's like one big-mac menu where I live, lol, but I think I found it on the T.R.O.V.E.
>>
>>85383248
>What makes a good villain for a solo game?
Good presence and excuse to worm his way into random events. Nothing beats rolling something usually difficult-to-interpret on an oracle like "Scheme Culture" and immediately thinking "That motherfucker..."
Usually that means he has far-reaching influence/power and/or his goals are in direct opposition to your own. The best solo villain is one that can make himself relevant to any situation the PC happens to be in.
>>
>>85392714
Based
Still good to check around every few months and see what evolutions the solo sphere has created
>>
>>85389884
I like companions to be just there so my character has someone to bounce off of when he'd otherwise be alone. So, I usually keep them relatively simple, but quirky so that they have interesting things to say.
In my Starforged campaign, my surveybot is curious and careless, so he's nosy when it comes to people (giving me an excuse to inquire about things my character normally wouldn't ask) and encourages my character to go to dangerous places for the sake of discovery (motivating me to adventure). And, of course, when my character is having a "moment" my surveybot's nature compels him to dissect what my character is feeling and why, giving me frequent opportunities to examine my own PC's mind.
>>
>>85393076
>"for X go to 1, for Y go to 2"
It's the same. They give an example of an adventure and its a bunch of paragraphs that lead to other numbered paragraphs like: "If you want to sell the drug go to 6. If you want the drug for personal use go to 26D."
>>
>>85387014
Conan was a lot of things. Just in the first movie, he was a barbarian, a gladiator and a thief.
Some settings will permit warrior-mages.
You could replace the magic-user class with magical objects and scrolls at character creation if you want to use magic.
It mostly depends on what game yo are using, or how good you are at hacking/homebrewing your system.
Or use more than one PC. Rotate the POV character each scene if you can't deal with playing them all at once. They become NPCs during the POV character's scene.
>>
>it keeps updating
MY AUTISM IT HURTS SO GOOD
Still haven't played it. One day. One fucking day...
Hey all PUM players!

>Revision 13 is out there available, this time the biggest change is an entire new page with a game setup sheet! (I have been needing it lately).

I like how he's making it evolve, but I'm afraid he's gonna complicate it too much over time.
>>
For anyone familiar with FU (Freeform Universal 1st edition), here's an old nice version of a homebrew FU Mythic engine (not mine) to go with it.
>>
>>85393706
For people not familiar with it, all you need to know is that in FU you use d6 with the following results:
1= No, and
2= No
3= No, but
4= Yes, but
5= Yes
6= Yes, and
And is a higher degree to the answer or something else happening. But is a lesser degree or something else. You can use logic or roll on the tables of the solo engine.
A scene interrupt in the scene setup means rolling a random event.
You can decide when to roll for random events outside the scene setup. Or you can do it like this: you get random events on the oracle rolls without any special mechanics for them when you interpret a And/But as a separate event from the question and roll for what it is.
The only problem with the engine used that way is that you may have to change or reroll the focus if you get a contradictory answer.
Example: Yes, but means that the focus can't be positive. It must be negative in some way.
Is the door locked? Yes, but... Advance a PC Goal would have to be changed for Hinder a PC Goal or rerolled.
You could hack the whole engine easily. make Chaos not random, but dependent on what happened in the previous scene, for example.
>>
I don't really know why, but none of these generators get me going as good as OnePage does. I meme'd it last thread but I unironically think it's really good for any sort of generic fantasy adventure romp type of campaign.
>>
>>85394075
It's good. I like a few of the things from Apocalypse Oracle better, but it's a solid engine.
The only thing I don't like/use is the suit domains combined with the Focus Oracles. I do use the domains on their own. But I can't for the life of me make them work with the oracles. They throw me off a lot.
Seek Allies? perfect result that I can apply right away.
Seek (Technical) Allies (Mystical). Errr...
It take s me a long ass time to come up with something.
Domains are great to generate a quick focus for a test or conflict.
Physical? Combat, agility test, etc.
Technical? Puzzle, knowledge test, etc,
>>
>>85393831
I have to agree with >>85394075 I much prefer this/the apocolypse engine. but I do agree with>>85394176 I dont like the playing card angle, would prefer if it was just d6 based (not hard to do, but in terms of cohesive design).

especially the 2d6 oracle. I think modified and/but answers SHOULD be less common then normal yes/no answers. Ive even used it for combat and it works decently well, since you can have basicly 4 possible outcomes (Yes, extreme yes, no, extreme no, and mixed), and can shift the likelyhood of yes/no answers.

Ive even made a bit of a micro combat system out of it. each role is a bout. a yes answer mean you can either impart damage or cause an effect, a no means your enemy can do as such, a mixed means that you both can do one, an extreme yes or no means the given party can do two actions (doubled damage, a damage and an effect, etc)
>>
>>85394075
I've used it for modern horror with minimal changes. I think I changed the odds of an encounter in a dungeon on a case by case basis to reflect modern buildings and what they are used for. That's about it. The rest is just how you interpret things.
NPCs generator, for example:
A Soldier can be a Cop or a Security Guard. A Mystic can be a Nun, a Priest or a Psychic (fake or not). If the location doesn't make sense for it, it can still be adapted. The cop is there to ask questions. The security guard is on break. The bookstore owner is an amateur palm reader and is conducting a reading/flirting with a customer.
>>
>Page 10
Uncreative bump.
>>
After reading other anons mention it, I tried out Scarlet Heroes, and I have to ask. Are you supposed to be unstoppable in that system? I just fought an army of 27 goblins and through following the rules to a T, I was killing like 5 of them a round and the others couldn't kill me. They got my HP down by half, but by the time I cleared their dungeon I was healed back up and taking out their chief
>>
If have a two entities that when they get a + and another + to their relationship it means an Alliance, and when they get a - and a + to their relationship it means a Contest, what should a - and a - mean? They are "attracted" to each others but not for the same reasons, I was thinking of maybe make them hate someone else together, ala "the enemy of my enemy is my friend".
>>
>>85398586
SH deliberately gives heroes the powers to wreck chaff so you don't get swarmed
>>
>>85398682
>I was thinking of maybe make them hate someone else together, ala "the enemy of my enemy is my friend".
Sounds like
>it means an Alliance

c:AHW G0Y
>>
>>85398682
Why not just “enemies”?
>>
>>85398836
>>85398586
Scratch that, in the very next area I got wrecked by a minotaur, my sidekick got murdered by a swarm of stirges, and then when I recovered I got ambushed by orcs.
>>
Jewposetic apohistamine.
20cc's worth.
>>
>>85399570
>my sidekick got murdered by a swarm of stirges,
I struggle with finding a good way to handle sidekicks in Scarlet Heroes. With the way the system counts damage vs HD, NPC vs NPC combat is like two glass cannons firing at each other at point-blank range. It's not just sidekicks either, I found myself in the middle of a scrap between guards and bandits at one point and all the combatants were just wiping each other out in one hit.

I almost wonder if a better way to play OSR solo would just be to fill out a full party with NPC Fighters, rather than play with the Heroic rules from SH.
>>
>>85400911
Try WWN, the base heroes are slightly powerful than the standard OSRs, but not much. If it is too difficult, then you can use the heroic rules by further increasing the strength, or even the rules for legates.

You can't really do much with SH - one character should replace 4-6 people. Or break the immersion, or micromanage 4-6 heroes (which is pretty easy with osr by the way), or accept and love yourself as a hero of heroes and the incarnation of Jesus Christ (but for this it’s better take godbound)
>>
Try WWN, the base heroes are slightly stronger than the standard OSRs, but not much. If it is too difficult, then you can use the heroic rules by further increasing the strength, or even the rules for legates.

You can't really do much with SH - one character should replace 4-6 people. Break the immersion, or micromanage 4-6 heroes (which is pretty easy with osr by the way), or accept and love yourself as a hero of heroes and the incarnation of Jesus Christ (but for this it’s better to take godbound)
>>
File: ainz.png (561 KB, 597x806)
561 KB
561 KB PNG
>>85400911
>Heroic rules from SH
Just play Godbound. It's becoming my fav system for solo play.
>>
>generic fantasy adventure campaign turned into a lewd romance with a cute fairy
>again
Maybe I should go outside instead.
>>
>>85402750
Just embrace it. You'll never get to do that with other people.
... Wait.
>>
File: 1635117820512.jpg (994 KB, 1200x1734)
994 KB
994 KB JPG
>>85402750
That's a good thing:
>fantasy romance is a niche, unexplored genre that is more interesting than basic fantasy adventure in a generic world
>you can play a romance RPG campaign (as strange as those words sound together) without it getting weird, since you're playing alone
>it is clearly what you want to play
>ywn have fairy gf in real life so RP is the closest, most realistic simulation of that
Dunno man I want to include a detailed romance in my next campaign now. Maybe not the focus but definitely a main feature. This has opened my eyes a little.
>>
New update.
>>
>>85403585
> playing a paladin
> you’re her god
> I repeat: you’re her literal god.
> she braved incredible dangers in your name, and in return you bless her with boons.. and /boons/.
>>
>>85403858
>and in return you bless her with boobs
That's how I read it. Not even sorry.
>>
File: Kp4z10.gif (1.43 MB, 320x240)
1.43 MB
1.43 MB GIF
>>85403913
>>
File: 1 Land.pdf (1.14 MB, PDF)
1.14 MB
1.14 MB PDF
>hexhunt update
I've started added AI-generated "drawings" to my already typset sections. So far, it is looking good enough for a free game, anons, no?
>>
File: 2 Adventurer.pdf (291 KB, PDF)
291 KB
291 KB PDF
>>85403974
and here are some portraits, pretty cool, I think!
>>
File: 123.png (110 KB, 536x594)
110 KB
110 KB PNG
>>85403585
>without it getting weird, since you're playing alone
bro, it's weird in itself, not because it's public
>>85403858
>>85403913
>>85403923
praise the God
>>
>>85404081
nah, it’s sharing it that makes it weird
it’s like sex scenes in entertainment, watching spartacus or GoT by yourself is perfectly comfortable, but do it with your sisters and suddenly there’s a lot of fixed, dead stares holding of breath all around
>>
>>85403974
Nice, the pics fit well
>>
>>85404081
Fantasizing about having a gf is not weird.
>>
>>85410082
not having one is already weird, trying to substitute one with dice and wishful thinking is really weird
>>
>>85403995
Drawings look great except for that guy on the first page with his head cut off
>>
>>85403974
>AI-generated "drawings"
What "options" you used to get this style?
"Ink, black and white"?
>>
File: seal of dohl.jpg (33 KB, 256x256)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
>>85411027
"a black and white ink drawing of X in the style of [favourite artist]" (for portraits)

"a black and white ink drawing [definition of the item]" for other things, including the flavour text.

See, attached,
>the Seal of Dohl: A seal used for the matters of the state
at the Palace of the Godless God-King, it was used to
finalize the decrees which ordered the killing of all be-
lievers of any cult of Saturn during the Dark Crusade,
>>
How do people like the behavior check in Mythic Variations 2? About to try it out but I can't help but think you could just eyeball a general modifier instead of determining them 3 times.
>>
File: Moonmin snufkin hype.gif (149 KB, 461x346)
149 KB
149 KB GIF
Does anybody else just get insanely lucky right before their character dies?

>Fight a random wild-man in a mangrove swamp
>He calls for backup and it turns out to be a GIANT baboon monster
>I'm basically fucked
>Can only hold on by making sure the man can't shoot me with arrows while his baboon is attacking me
>Manage to avoid the baboon's attacks but get knocked down to one HP
>Get the baboon in a spot and roll for attack
>Nat 20
>Cleave it in two
>Man fails his morale check and leaves

Like I never intended to even "let" my character die since it's my fantasy solo adventure, but I figured when I get to zero HP I'd just wake up in a new place in an even worse spot, or have to "redo" a checkpoint or something like that, but no- I keep getting into deadly fights and with one hit point left I roll sudden critical strikes and shit and come out ahead.
>>
File: labyrinth.jpg (1.47 MB, 3840x1606)
1.47 MB
1.47 MB JPG
>>85412941
I had this happen once to a favorite NPC
>come across ye olde temple inhabited by silly-yet-deadly goblins
>they're wielding blowpipes
>we're out in the open (and pretty much non-combatants)
>whole party panics
>sprint to cover
>companion got one in the arm
>make camp in the forest
>tend wounds for some hours
>poison checks continue into negative HP
>poison finally abates 1 HP from death
Not as heroic as yours, but probably the most stressed I've been in a game because I couldn't see how to bullshit my way out of it
>>
>>85412941
I tend to roll in streaks a lot - lots of good rolls, then lots of bad. I've had a few live on the edge before and I don't mind solo characters dying in most games I've run.
>party engages young dragon but fumbles the trap
>loses their henchmen and one member to first breath
>everyone down except the priest, who somehow hasn't died
>two war dogs roll 20's as dragon moves to eat priest, roll max damage
>dragon flubs initiative, priest lands command word die, dragon fails save
>dragon faints
>best boys kill dragon
>priest manages to heal 3 out of 5 back from death's door using only heal skill
that was the latest
>>
>>85412575
Too complex for my taste. It makes behavior/interactions with more than a step feel clunky.
I just use a d6 Yes/No/And/But with advantage/disadvantage and it works great. I don't have to write down anything like Personality, Identity and Action from V2, I just know that stuff when I use the NPC.
I mean, it's not bad, but it's not for me.
>>
>>85412575
I eyeball the mod and use the system only when it seems appropriate
>>
>>85412941
>Does anybody else just get insanely lucky right before their character dies?
Only when I try something suicidal to take out an enemy.
I tackled a sorcerer out of an airship so the rest of my crew could have a chance (planning on taking over one of them as my new POV PC).
The sorcerer grew batwings and slowed our fall (he was actually a demon). I stabbed him in flight, a critical hit so good I one-shot him, and we both fell.
I survived the fall into the ocean from 1 point. Had a 1% chance of not drowning as I was unconscious. Rolled a 1. I woke up on the shore of some unknown deserted island (a dolphin pack saved my life and brought me to the island. Don't question it, it was a 30s pulp adventure. There may also have been some angel looking out for me involved, but that was narrative, not mechanical).
Another time I failed a check to keep my temper (a loved one has just died. Post-apo setting like Mad Max) and attacked a squad of soldier with no weapon Chuck Norris-style.
I beat theme all and suffered no damage. There was like a 1% chance of me not dying. 2 of the 5 soldiers had their guns jam. One killed another by accident on a fumble (the strong heavy one that would have kicked my ass). Then I knocked 2 of them out with one hit each.
>>
I've been playing with a really, really simple homebrew sort of experimental ruleset for my last few solo sessions. I'm sure a game out there does something similar but basically-
>Roll multiple dice at once, but with different colors
>Blue dice for player roll, Red dice for enemy, Yellow for "Situational" dice
>All rolls are opposed rolls; enemy gets rolls and modifiers based on whatever makes the most sense; your "Agility" plus your die vs "Slippery Ledge" with a +1 if it's raining, etc. etc.
>Very basic roll + bonus system, higher number wins or succeed by difference between them; ie damage you take is how many higher enemy roll is to your roll on a combat roll
>However you can "swap" the situation dice with your own die, but doing so makes whatever situation you are in worse.

So if you roll a 1 and the enemy rolls a 5, that's bad and you'd take a lot of damage. So instead, you swap out the much higher 6 that rolled on situation. BUT now that you did that, something changes in the situation that gives you a disadvantage going forward, or puts you in a post. For example, you managed to avoid taking any damage from the beast's attacks, but it just ate your shield.

It's a really simple system. Don't think it meshes too well with a more "progression focused" RPG type of game since those +1s are huge, but with scaling modifiers it feels like it has enough meat.

But I need a little help; I want to add a mechanic that incentives the player to swap the enemy roll with the situation roll if its higher. Obviously if you rolled higher then both it'd be a no brainer, but I'm trying to think of a way to incentivize intentionally failing your roll by swapping the dice; something like a bonus experience or "advance a story thread" type of thing. Thoughts?
>>
New one...
>>
Smallest solo engine you used?
I used the one from Winsome (d6 Yes/No and d10 Themes).
Surprisingly effective. It didn't feel like I was missing something when I used it. Except for random name tables. I think I spend more time trying to come up with names for people and places than anything.
The Theme table was enough and I came up with random things easily while using it.
>>
>>85415195
>it just keeps unfolding and unfolding
>>
File: UNFOOOLDING.gif (843 KB, 400x400)
843 KB
843 KB GIF
>>85415985
>>
File: 7 Events.pdf (611 KB, PDF)
611 KB
611 KB PDF
Just finished typesetting EVENTS section.
Boy, this AI artist did magic to Artefacts. I like it.
>>
>>85412941
Opposite. I roll like a god when it's not important but when I'm in life-or-death win-or-lose I roll like shit.
>>
>>85414920
Seems pretty neet and cohesive, i like the idea.

Ive always in general liked framing things in terms of subject, context, object as the tripartide things of note.

Also, on your question, why not just do what you did for the player, for the enemy? Make them succed at well, but at a penalty. they dont take damage but they break their shield. just think of what the enemy would do in that situation.

or alternatively, you must go back and forth with the situational die, like a karma system, YOU can only use the situation die after the enemy has or after you have done a deed worthy of "inspiration"
>>
>>85420619
though the experience thing does seem interesting. you could make experience fully "opositional situation die" based. so its literally a physical track of your progress. A harder challange would imply more negative situational roles which would grant more experience. So you might think that a goblin tribe is pretty low teir for you so they only get 1 situational roll (1 expereince), but a troll might be big experience and they get 2-3. you could maybe even due a sort of gold for xp by taking the lower of two roles determining the value of a horde to get an additional xp point.

ive personally found xp a pain to remember to calculate in solo, so it might be a good way of doing it.
>>
>>85417298
I think Hearth is supposed to be Heath?
>>
File: 1593678329706.jpg (92 KB, 611x572)
92 KB
92 KB JPG
Tell me about your big, dramatic showdowns. How did you lead up to them?
>>
>>
Are there any fail-forward systems out there for when you lose a combat?
>>
>>85422554
Hearth as in a piece of a fireplace.
Hearth-Altar-Market: representations of three different types of settlements, village/town/city
>>
Well, I just died and lost my character. I even rolled to see if my prayers would be answered as I bled out, my arm torn off by a giant land-shark. And God said "No way fag"
>>
>>
Help me, /srpgg/. I need some sort of character backstory generator or something that could function as one. I also had the thought to piece together a string of random events into a backstory so some kind of random event generator would be helpful as well.
>>
>>85425503
>>85425503
>I need some sort of character backstory generator
Adventure crafter. Is a big one.
Maze rats. Is a small one.
Just some solo rpg, most of them have a character backstory tables. Is a different one.
>a string of random events into a backstory so some kind of random event generator would be helpful as well.
Yeah, adventure crafter as well
>>
>>85425503
bold
>>
>want to play an everyman character
>get wrecked in combat
Why do I do this to myself every time
>>
>>85424577
Hope you had another to take up the mantle anon
>>
>>85425972
I play modern horror games using the slut/man-whore archetype and still expect to survive...
>>
>>85425503
BOLD, Universal PC Stories and Deeds Generator
and
UNE, The Universal NPC Emulator
both are free and really, really good. Easy to use too, they gives you complex results without being complicated at all
>>
>>85425503
>>85425503
Roll a d6. On 1 to 6, you have a Mysterious Past. On a 0, you don't know how to roll a d6.
Everytime you roll a topper (maximum on any dice) you have to reveal or incorporate some relevent and thematically appropriate backstory element to the roll/situation.
>>
Anyone ever thing of making general checklists for aspects that might be useful inspiration in scenes? something like
>Combat notes:
Distance
speed
position
line of sight
obstacles
morale
knowledge
exhaustion
resistances
sound
resources
obstructions
gear
unique skills
environmental effects
>Social notes:
Wants
needs
hates
intentions
beliefs
attitude
responsibilities
abilities
resources
social standing
body language
eye contact
current situation
action quirks(flipping coin, chewing gum, rubbing hands, studder)
physical quirks (smells, one eye, scare, heavy make up)
Betraying features (eye twitch, sweeting)
relationships
Stuff thats serves as inspiration both for the narrative aspects, but also to remind yourself about what might actually be relivent in a scene. not ment to use all of them at once, but quickly go down a list to see what might be immediately inspiring. cause I know that sometime I forget all about something like morale and I only retrospectively wise I focused on that as a factor.
>>
>>85427638
I only take note of relevent things that have made themselves known. If there's too much to keep track of, it's even worst for me than forgetting something.
If I forget something like Morale, I roll it after. If I would have failed their roll, the next time I won't roll and will just use that result.
But it's not such a big deal, plenty of games don't even have a mechanic like Morale in the first place.
>>
>>85427693
well, I think checklist is a bad choice of words on my part. more a list of things to skim as more potentially interesting parts of a scene, but to ignore all the stuff thats not pertinent/interesting.

And by morale, I dont specifically mean old DND style morale, but psychology in general as a narritive factor. should these scary skeletons being scary impact anything? are my hands shaking in fear making this harder? so also CoC style insanity. or a penalty/bonus to a roll as well as if someone hallucinates, or inspired to do even better.

I wasnt thinking specific mechanics rather than points that are broadly narritively significant in a lot of cases. so as to avoid the
>"what now"
syndrom and just "rolling to beat the number"
>>
>>85427831
The way I deal with all that usually is by building the scene before I play it. Might not be for everyone since it takes some of the surprises away, but it helps to make everything clearer and I know what's at play in the scene.
By building the scene I mean using some random tables/idea generator and then asking yes/no questions to figure out the impact of some of the ideas I get.
Sometimes I just roll a d100 to figure out how much something is important in the scene (or a d6 if I want that old school feel). Over 75% usually requires some stat/skill test or conflict at some point during the scene. Doesn't have to be a test related to a conflict with the thing itself. If there is a dragon in the room because of my rolls, the test might be a listen check o figure out it is there before going in or a stealth check. Or it becomes a chase scene. I'm not fighting no dragon.
>>
>>85427990
I can understand that. The problem with me is that sometimes I feel creatively bankrupt and I dont know what question TO ask in the momnet, and it feels sterile/currated. and I dont know when to stop. ive resorted to giving myself a limited number of question/enviornmental roles.
>>
>>85428055
>ive resorted to giving myself a limited number of question/enviornmental roles.
That's good. I did that too at first. I was asking too many questions all the time. Now I'm a little better at it.
I think about 2 or 3 main questions per scene (or before) is a good number (replacing questions by idea generator/random table rolls if you use them). Maybe 0 to 2 follow up questions to clarify each of them can be added to that.
I think that was about the number I was using when I started to finally be able to play like I wanted to.
Maybe Zathrum might be to your liking? It has a Theme d20 table that you roll on before each scene. The results are a cross between a random table and an idea generator. Sort of similar to the results in One Page Solo Engine or even the Focus table of Mythic.
>>
>>85428211
something I have a problem with is determining the domain of question. what to actually ask. there is so many factors in a single event, its hard to determine what to ask as well as how to vary those questions but not too much between events.
>>
>>85427638
this is a solid idea
>>
>>85428360
mmmm...
1d6
1=Where (Loaction, Environment,Terrain)
2=When/(Clock, if you're familiar with them, time sensitive actions, time of event X)
3=Who (NPCs. Present in the scene or not)
4=What (Items)
5=How
6=Why
I want to ask a question. I roll a 4. It's about an item.
1d2
1= Personal
2= Not personal
2. It's not an item on me or that has a significance to me personally.
1d4
1= Atmosphere
2= Not that important
3= Important
4= Very important
I roll a 3. Important.
1d3
1=Positive to my PC
2= Negative
3= Neutral
Positive. I guess there's a statue of a god that I don't really worhip in the room and it has some jewels on it?
I just realize that I create something in the scene instead of coming up with a question.
I guess the first d6 with Where, When, etc. coould be usuful without the rest. But it would probably be hard to figure out what type of question to ask anyway.
Rolling on a 2 words tables to figure out the question to ask might work, but again why wouldn't you just make that the result?
Now I'm interested. How the create questions? It's worth exploring, I think.
>>
>>85428600>>85428360>>85428211>>85428055>>85427990
I don't understand the problem. It seems like you can just ask the oracle "What's in the scene?" and the result will be the central noticeable interesting thing. Not?
>>
>>85428600
Maybe using Where, When, Who, What How and Why with Physical, Mental, Social, Emotional would be enough create a good question without answering it as you create it?
It gives a very broad and generic focus to the question to ask.
Example:
Where/Emotional
The room you enter might be creepy.
Is there squeletons in the room?
You resolve it with your oracle. Maybe you get such a big Yes that they attack you. Or they're just normal skeletons, but their bones were cleaned with what looks like acid or something.
>>
>>85429223
i feel like Physical, Mental, Social, Emotional
kind of steps on the toes of the w’s
>>
>>85425972
Being normal means failing every once in a while. I dislike extraordinary characters that always succeed. Give me a boring normal PC please, I like the challenge.
>>
File: squeletons.jpg (141 KB, 550x550)
141 KB
141 KB JPG
>>85428600
>>85429223
Personally I find something like Where/Emotional too non-specific compared to the complications/combat tables in >>85393662 (for example)
Something like that for social/exploration scenes could be really useful
>>
>>85435678
How do you implement this? Give an example.
>>
>>85426893
>>85434051
I tried a zombie game last night
>be me, John Smith
>wake up in hospital
>slept through the apocalypse
>put my pants on like everybody else, one leg at a time
>find doc about to be ett by a zombie
>it's just one zombie, I can do this
>no weapons nearby
>zombie starts chasing me instead
>doc manages to kill it while I'm 'distracting it'
>n-no problem, doc
And then the epic escape the to the ground floor
>convenient fireaxe next to the stairwell
>only 2 Zs in the way
>easy money
>swing, miss, chomp
>swing, miss, chomp
>chomp
At least they're not very infectious.
We ended up taking the other stairs.
>>
File: 3 Adventure.pdf (124 KB, PDF)
124 KB
124 KB PDF
>Hexhunt update:
Just finished typesetting the 'Adventure' chapter.
So far:
>Introduction: not completed
>Land: DONE
>Adventurer: DONE
>Adventure: DONE
>Combat: DONE
>Magic: not typeset
>Events: DONE
>Villains: not completed
>Plunder: DONE
>>
What do you do when you literally get blocked from all progress?

>Character is a diplomat trying to prevent warfare between some tribes who wear long armored veils for a third party who would be greatly harmed by it
>Travel to the capital city (which is made of tents of course) to discuss this with the leaders
>Attempt to tell them the horrors of war and how they shouldn't do it
>Tie
>Attempt to unit the lesser tribes so they can stand up to the big tribes and prevent them from fighting
>Tie
>Learn they have secret traditions that warfare among the tribes is how they prove their worth
>Ask the oracle if I can learn these laws to better understand these people?
>No
>Will these people accept bribes to swear fealty to my third party?
>No
>Go back to the capital and say that they could try fighting in an arena instead of in open warefare- try to convince them this
>Tie
>Tell them I'll prove myself in the arena against their best champion to prove- and if I win you won't fight amongst yourselves anymore. Do you accept this?
>No

Fuck you.
>>
File: war.jpg (635 KB, 3840x1608)
635 KB
635 KB JPG
>>85437633
I would go home and tell your liege it's happening
>>
>>85437633
You shouldn't accept oracle rolls at just a No answer. You should generate a reason, too. So what's the explanation for why the answers were No? If you know the reason the secret traditions can't be learned, you can do something about it. Like maybe the traditions are passed only verbally with nothing written down so there is no way to physically read them and you'd have to get someone to tell you. Knowing that, you could get someone drunk and ask them. You could do someone a big favor and to repay you they tell you the secrets. Maybe the reason the can't be learned is because they don't exist; someone told you a lie. Why won't they accept bribes to swear fealty? In finding out you uncover other information that you can use to make your next move.
>>
>>85438172
>>85437633
Why not simply ask the oracle? Mythic-DESCRIPTIONS
:(68) majestically (42) hard - so you can learn their traditions, but it will take months and years, not just "come on, tell me about your fucking savage traditions and quickly I only have 15 minutes"
>>
>>85437588
Instead of spamming you guys with this, I decided to go full hipster and set up a itchDOTio
https://hexhunt.itch.io/hexhunt
>>
>>85438922
nice, followed
>>
File: lizard dance based.gif (1.7 MB, 320x294)
1.7 MB
1.7 MB GIF
>>85437668
>>85438172
>>85438678

It all worked out in the end lads
>Decide to take some advice ITT plus some other rolls that happened last time
>Gather support amongst the "least tribes"
>Learn the least tribes bullshit tradition where each one is only allowed to use one weapon- as to set them apart from the "big tribes"
>But the big tribes would be defeated by the small tribes if they banded together since then they could use any weapon as a group, etc. you get the idea
>End up talking to the leader of the "Sword" least tribe- the most important, and doing an errand for him involving capturing some carnivorous mountain rodents for use in warfare and as a form of food- he needs a breeding pair (don't ask)
>Go on a bunch of adventures in the cold mountains involving an ice giant and bird people trying to find a nice quiet place to die and the asshole who wants to kill the guy who just wants to die in peace
>Finally manage to capture the voles
>On the way back, find a corpse from the random event "Damage (Social) Histories (Physical)"
>Realize the corpse was killed by one weapon but was set up to look like it was killed by another to cause discord among the tribes
>Report this information to the leader of the Sword Tribe
>Gives me a cool magic sword but I need to talk to the wise man who knows all the tribes
>Go to him after another crazy adventure involving orcs and mansions being held up in the air by exploding geysers
>The wise man basically says "Yeah this is all the work of the No-Weapon's tribe who use their words as weapons they're trying to start wars for money"
>kk thanks
>Return and gain the support of all the small tribes
>No-Weapons tribe (who also killed my friend) get fucked
>Return home and get a cool glowing gemstone as big as my fist for the trouble\
>>
>>85438922
>hexhunt by hexhunt
now we just need version hexhunt to complete the set
>>
>>85437273
I wish I could do a zombie story, but Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead has spoiled me.
If I end up doing one, it's going to be on a smaller scale, maybe something like White Zombie.
>>
I know it's good and that it's free, but that whole updating thing has stopped being cute a few versions ago...
>>
>>85437273
>>85440227
I have an on-going zombie apocalypse game that I started that I play every other week or so. I used some maps from CDDA for some smaller towns but then started using google maps.
It's a lot of fun, my poor group of characters has been eaten, kidnapped, raped, enslaved, shot, died of an infection, committed suicide, done terrible things to survive, or gone 'bandit'. There are 3 out of the original 8 still alive and some of the ones that have entered play since the beginning didn't last that long either. I'm kinda attached to the remaining 3 though.
>>
>>85440227
Yeah but this way you could play a zombie game filled with your own autism instead of Kevin's.
>>
>>85440420
My autism knows only the bound of my own disorganized mind.
CDDA is pretty tame compared to how I can be when I don't hold myself back.
>>
>>85440336
I'm still using v8
>>
File: hexhunt.png (34 KB, 561x568)
34 KB
34 KB PNG
>>85437588
Hexhunt bro they got you in quarantine
>>
>>85440336
this. maybe post it once a month no one needs to know that some autist changed a "the" in their system to an "a"
>>
File: water color.jpg (69 KB, 474x767)
69 KB
69 KB JPG
>>85427638
I think it could be neat to tick off each item you use in a session so you can see how relient you are on different aspects of a scene. and either consiously diversify, or curate your selection based on context (Like in a wilderness adventure, maybe you focus less on beliefs since its mostly survival, or you notice that you havent used much physical quirks in a city adventure, so you make a gang leader have dragon hide boots as a signature.)

I think it could really provide a nice procedural inspiration tool in terms of a cohesive whole experience.
>>
>>85383248
we wants it, we needs it
>>
>>85440722
Will do. What about once every new thread?
>>
>>85440894
seems fair enough.
>>
>>85440197
I didn't know that it was going to be like this. Never used Itch-D0t-io before, but I'll guess I'm "hexhunt" now, oh well...
>>
>>85440522
Shit... it is because I'm using VPN to get on 4channel...
Any ways to get this removed?
Also, thanks for letting me know, anon
>>
>>85441060
idk about itch.io, but if it's like some of the other sites I know, you will be on quarantine automatically for a set time when creating your first account unless you pay for a premium account.
It's usually to weed out spammers.
>>
>>85438922
Cool, can you do more updates per day than PUM? Or are you gonna wuss out and only update when all the sections have reached a milestone together?
>I haven't made any progress on writing up my system and I'm jealous of those who do
>>
Determine signifigant scene elements
Determine player reaction
determine non player reactions
Execute both with roles.

As a way to think of adventures separate from any system. Ive found using systems as representational of actual action rather than constraining the fiction to the system more engaging.

I feint to the left and stab to the right!
instead of back creating fiction from mechanics like
I Use my inspiration die to reroll my attack role.
>>
>>85440342
Speaking of CDDA, did you have a system for resources and crafting? I doubt my chumps will get out of the initial chaos un-chomped, but I haven't seen any long-term settlement/survival mechanics.
>>
>>85444279
I work on it almost daily, so once I get the hang of "developer log" bit, I'll start using it.
For instance, now I'm having my morning tea and then I'll finalize the "adventurer" section; the pre-generated characters.
>>
File: url(5).jpg (137 KB, 618x1024)
137 KB
137 KB JPG
Has anyone devised a good method for playing or keeping track of their solo RPG in a Bullet Journal? I've got a dozen of these things laying around the house and it would be cool to use them for my games. How would you organize them? What would be a decent layout for character notes, sheets, maps, or actual play notes/logs?
>>
>>85447473
Year zero?
>>
File: rpg bullet journal.png (101 KB, 691x1222)
101 KB
101 KB PNG
>>85448548
Here's my format, using bullet journaling notation. It's for tracking objectives and what's important to your character.
>>
>>85383248
Posting here too because you people might have more of an idea of what im looking for.
Basically im looking for a cooperative RPG for me and my Girlfriend. At best something like a Boardgame that can be started quickly, have a round or two of it and keep some character progression in between.
AS little set up time as possible and some customization would be neat.
Also not a focus on too much storybook stuff.
Basically just a power couple of adventurers going on their day of murderhoboing monsters and the story emerging organically from that.
GF is a LOTR nerd and likes Witcher and Conan Exiles, so a fantasy or sword and sorcery theme would be neat.
Ive been told theres plenty of roll tables for other systems which would be nice enaugh but overall id like something simple and none too taxing on preparation time.

Anyone got any suggestions?
>>
>>85449971
Like a dungeon crawl board game without the board? There's Four Against the Darkness, but it's designed for one person with four characters so it might be too simple. D100 dungeon is crunchier but I don't know about scaling it to two players - maybe just roll twice for events/monsters/whatever? Or Tunnels and Trolls? I think that's mostly written for no-GM play, but I'm not sure.
>>
>>85450033
sounds like solid picks.
I dont mind having a Board actually.
It could be a flat out boardgame.

Something like Hero quest i suppose.
>>
>>85450121
Board games usually take a while to set up and tear down. But Warhammer Quest is pretty good for what you're asking for. Or at least the 90s version was; don't know about modern ones. Getting parts for the old one is probably tricky or expensive unless you've willing to print them yourself.
If you already have minis you could try a solo skirmish game like Rangers of Shadow Deep or Five Leagues from the Borderlands.
>>
>>85447473
I went with Savage Worlds with very little use of bennies, as it had a lot of great post-apoc Zombie material (to my surprise) and was pretty deadly.
Between World of the Dead and the Apocalypse Campaign Guide it had crafting, scavenging, town/trading, etc.
>>
File: dungeon master edit.jpg (302 KB, 968x545)
302 KB
302 KB JPG
>>85414920
>>85420619
>>85420729

Been working on the improvised roll system.

If you swap a higher situation die with your die, you get put in a spot, something bad happens in the world, or you lose a resource. I've had this mean my companions get injured, I lose an item (let the monster take my coat; now I have no protection from the cold for later), or the enemy's call backup or an alert is sounded.

If you replace the enemy die with a (higher) situation roll, you get an instant experience point but naturally are losing a roll by doing this.

If you get trips (doubles are too common) a random event interrupts the scene, with the significance of the event being based on how high the number is, so getting 3 sixes is a pretty big deal. Note that since trips is one in every 36 rolls, it shouldn't be TOO significant, but something that would change the tide of a battle or completely change how a scene is going with the inclusion of a new element is fine.

More specifics; since modifiers have to be small to account for smaller ranges of dice rolls; companions and mass-combat rules are rolled into the main system. Fun way of doing this; companions specialize in one weapon or role, and only add a +1 to your roll if they match. So rangers add a +1 on first round of combat, spearmen if you're fighting cavalry, thief adds +1 to your stealth rolls or +1 to your roll to disarm an ancient trap, etc.

Originally I was going to add a fourth die (chaos die) to add in random events, but with the trips roll just three dice is plenty. Since it's a pretty simple system I really can't think of anything more to add to it; everything else is just generation and self-discipline to keep the game flowing and fair. The self restraint in how and when to roll, and when to add modifiers, seem to be the biggest obstacles to making the game more reliable.
>>
>>85452346
Fuck. Sorry. I said I would limit posting that guy's updates once a thread, didn't I?
>>
>>85449659
I like it.
>>
>>85452400
If you're actually keeping up with the changes and not just rushing to post as soon as you see any update, maybe you should just wait and post when the update is something significant?
>>
>>85448548

What's other good ideas when it comes to tracking your sessions? I have thought about creating a website to practice those skills but I haven't decided for sure yet. Any good examples?
>>
>>85453254
I was only posting it as a joke this time. Comparing it to Eric Roberts. You ask about it's updates and it's already been updated while you asked. Twice.
>>
>>85453295
Index cards. For NPCs/Location/Whatever.
I bleed index cards.
>>
>>85453295
I use Notion.
>>
>>85453330
I wonder how I could work Eric Roberts into my solo game.
>>
>>85415956
I use my own, I'm not a fan of yes/no oracle bullshit. I hacked it together using elmer's glue, shit, and parts of D100 dungeon, CYOA gamebooks, and OSR rules, but it's very light, while also feeling a bit crunchy in the right areas and narrative develops organically.
>>
>>85448548
I rather strickly lay out my recordings in bullet points according to how complex a scene is. a simple scene is restricted to 4. a moderate scene 6 and a long scene 8.

ive found the restriction very effectual for succinct, cohent and referenceable tracking. having to reduce things to their essentials is really good for this kind of thing.
>>
>>85449971
there are a few 2 person specific rpgs, but I cant seem to remember them. with either 1 gm and a player or one gm/player and another player.

was it tiny d6? cant remember.
>>
>>85456415
post it
>>
>>85458290
Maybe in the near future? Its all scribbled into a notebook with shitty handwriting and countless eraser marks
>>
>>85458735
I would like to read your notes. You should post pics of them even if they're illegible.
>>
File: 1659084142631355.jpg (223 KB, 1280x1921)
223 KB
223 KB JPG
>>85450176
>Five Leagues from the Borderlands.
Is this in the archives?
>>
>>85383248
Any good solo tips for doing DnD (particularly B/X)?
>>
>>85460795
It's in someone's mega that's been linked in /awg/, but that share isn't listed anywhere so I don't know how they feel about sharing the link. I'll drop it on New Vola.
>>
>>85460800
You can use a simple oracle setup like Zathrum or your choice because B/X has a lot of tables already.
Roll tactical rolls for encounters to determine how organized a group is, it will help frame what they do.
>>
File: 61aQEIf+tbL._SL1000_.jpg (85 KB, 703x1000)
85 KB
85 KB JPG
>>85455440
He was a god in your campaign realm all along.
>>
>>85458735
Are you me?
>>
>PUM is still updating daily and is at Revision 18
Still not as autistic as me, but it's getting close.
Let's talk structure.
Do you use some for you games?
Example:
English Eerie 3 Acts structure
(this is my favorite because it's super easy)
Perilous Intersections
The 9Qs
Calypso's multiple frameworks
5 Room Dungeons
Ironsworn's Vow/Progress tracks
>>
File: mfw.png (69 KB, 500x586)
69 KB
69 KB PNG
>>85462576 NTA
Today I decided to start organizing my RPG notes. Got the outline mostly done.
>mfw 20 pages
>>85462654
>Do you use some for you games?
no
>>
>>85462654
I've used Intersections quite a bit in the past.
Currently running a sandbox that generates a lot of world events and faction/npc stuff, so when those line up with a story organically I riff off it but I don't use a specific story structure.
>>
>>85462654
Here's the structure I use:
1. roll for room layout and size
2. roll for number of doors leading out of the room
3. check for room content such as monsters, treasure, traps, environmental hazards, and/or unusual features
4. roll on various specific sub-tables to flesh out the room content further such as monster type, reaction check, encounter distance, etc
5. once the room content is dealt with, mark time. Torches last 60 minutes, wandering monster check every 30 minutes. Quest objectives will surely be time-sensitive so strict time records must be kept.
6. choose a door, check it for traps, then go back to step 1 and repeat until I run out of torches or find enough treasure to bother hauling back to the surface
>>
>>85463086
You only do dungeon delves? Nothing wrong with it, I'm just curious.
>>
For me it's my PCs having a goal.
Yes, my PCs are the bad guys in my games. At least they act more like bad guys than the bad guys themselves when they have an objective.
>>
>>85392712
Uh sauce?
>>
>>85463866
based
>>
>>85383248
I was in the middle of making a solo 9-deck card game. Pull cards not from the top but you're supposed to do special things like pull five cards and take the choice of two of them that happens.

It got convoluted enough I had to make an index on what triggers what. Making the eventual "you're fucked" card pull an option to make the story go how you sorta feel it should.

You had to log which card you pulled, they were numbered. So if you wanted to follow them again you could write it later.

Nine decks because it was a 3x3 grid system of how they laid out. Cards were different colors to show what they were.

Two were land type cards. Substance and path. The other seven were what was available and it would be vague like "minerals" so if you were in the desert, it was sand/silicone that can be used to make glass or whatever. The good stuff you could say, like iron heavy sand that a magnet could pick up and make a knife.

It got convoluted to the extreme, and required a lot of background knowledge of camping, forging etc to make work. So I scrapped it.

One were natural villains which relates to the topic here. I would have "Apex predator" as a card. Associated with the land card. So that would mean searching for a large scorpion or massive hunting eagle for a desert. Picking between the two choices of course.
>>
>>85438172
To simplify, would you say
>no, because….
>>
>>85451917
I like it, though, dont you feel that 1 in 36 chance for an altered scene is a bit light? especially since combat is essentially a vs check, so instead of roling once for each combatent, you role once for each bout. essentially that means the “chaos factor” will always be quite low.

Im not sure, but could you maybe make alternate scenes based on the sum of the three dice? Like if the combined total of all three is above x, an altered scene happens. like, maybe you make a scale from 13 to 17 in terms of the potential for an altered scene. meaning that an altered scene happens in a ~1/4 chance all the way to a ~1/50 chance.
>>
>>85463086
This is what I want to do. I am still trying to decide on a rule set, but I think what makes this interesting and fun would be using something like B/X where you are more squishy than the modern day 5e super heroes. I enjoy the resource management of torches and weight. What do you or anyone else suggest?
>>
>>85464543
Making your own system is where the real autism is.
>>
>>85464543
I played with some ideas but takes a while to playtest and find situations where they just dont make sense. I still refine this system regularly

I use a turn structure like OSE:
- Advance clock by 1, eat at 12, and generate random event on every even clock, using whatever tables you like and 1d100 for chaos (unexpectedness). I've been using Untold Encounters for this which has 6 options for dungeon encounters so I use a d6 for types and OSE for monsters
- If it's a new room, roll 1d4 to determine how many features the room has, and for each one do the random event rolls
- Each dungeon fact event type provides a -5 penalty for rolls and an opportunity. Because we're in a tree, there's no natural lighting, so my sight is reduced unless I create some light, but enemies are easier to blind. These are global to the dungeon, for a max of 20. Geographic feature events are local to a room, max 6 and also provide a -5 penalty, but only one applies at a time
- You start with 3 stamina and 3 time. You can use them to perform any actions. Inert actions like reading a book, listening out for interesting sounds etc requires 1 time and a PER check. Actions where the character needs to do something to the world, like swinging on a vine requires 1 stamina and relevant stat check.
- Combat is a little different, I use THAC0 x 5 as the success probability of hit, with a -5 penalty for each dungeon fact that I'm not mitigating, it pushes the generation towards things I need to counter the dungeon.
- End of turn, I roll 1d20 to pick a dungeon fact that changes in some way, testing against the chaos value. If success, that feature of the dungeon shifts in some way

Theres more to it, like hit locations and strong/light wounds rather than dmg, and how dungeon facts carry over into the overworld. I like it because it forces the mechanics to create and shape a narrative just through gameplay
>>
>>85383248
>enter the discord
>see all the weird tranny shit
>nope it straight out of there
I shouldnt be surprised people playing the most niche of an already niche hobby are fucking weird, but still
>>
>>85465974
Always ignore the discords, especially when something is called "solo" it should clue you in to the discord being a giant tranny circlejerk
>>
>>85465974
What did you see? I tried looking for some there and couldn't find any. Are you making stuff up?
>>
>>85466183
>Are you making stuff up?
Probably. I didn't see anything crazy either. Some people just cant stand others being able to socialize.
>>
>>85466183
>>85466274
Nah I was in there a few weeks ago, its mostly the one mod in the server being a tranny janny
>>
>>85466370
Where does one find others who are not full on autistic adult-children with mental illnesses but also not normie woke adult-children with mental illnesses?
>>
>>85466444
reddit
no joke
>>
>>85456415
>oracle

An oracle-less narrative system would be nice. Maybe it's just me but I've never been able to have fun with them. Reading a post on >reddit about NPC oracles:

>When you talk with a NPC and want to ask them questions or see what they're doing, you roll from a table with two different words to combine it. Then you interpret the results with the first thing that comes to mind or what makes the most sense to you. For example, you rolled and got *Protect* from Action table and *Mysticism* from Theme table, making it *Protect Mysticism.* With this you get the general sense that the NPC wants you to protect something magical. Or if your mind came up with a different interpretation, like maybe the NPC wants you to relocate a magical artifact to a different site to protect it from enemies. There are thousands of different interpretations on just a few words! It's truly open-ended.

It just sounds so un-fun. Of course it's open-ended, there's no structure to it. There wasn't even a need to roll on a table for this, you could have just looked at the nearest object to you and said, "This NPC is wearing nothing but a pair of undergarments, they were robbed and want you to get their clothes back."
>>
>>85466620
You are addressing cognitive load.
>build tools that give randomized, contextual results that can drive your game with as little input from you as possible
>use broader tools to obtain direction for the game when asked
You have to produce that cognitive load up-front (specific tools) or during play. Lazy people want someone else to do the former for them.
>>
>>85463491
even when I'm not in a dungeon, I try to keep it fully procedure-driven and not follow some meta narrative scene structure. I've tried a few different GMEs but it always winds up feeling less like a game and more like a creative writing exercise to me. To each their own of course.

>>85464543
I started with Scarlet Heroes as a base, which is great because it has the autismo torch-tracking old-school procedures already baked in and tweaked for solo play, so most of the heavy lifting has already been done. I'd recommend starting there, you can probably find a pdf in one of the troves. If you want more squishy PCs you can dump the heroic rules and just use a full standard party or one PC plus a bunch of hirelings.

The system is fairly complete on its own, so you could just play straight Scarlet Heroes and have a good time, but the thing about old-school D&D is it's dead simple to house rule if you want to. Basically, this >>85465470. Personally I just steal shit from other OSR games when I run into something I don't like about Scarlet Heroes.

>>85466620
I agree completely. Any time I have to resort to using a generic oracle for something, I make a mental note of it and find or homebrew an actual specific system to cover that thing in the future.
>>
>>85467311
Not anon but that's why I like ACKS. It has tables for everything I need and I can rip material from the OSR sphere easily. Need a dungeon? I can get one. Need a town? That, too.
I'm running my current campaign with 3 parties and a number of Patron level factions. Every week I advance the game world using abstracted ACKS and simplified domain/faction tracking. Roll random events for the region on a weekly/monthly/yearly basis using OSR and Birthright material. It's very fun for me and definitely my favorite way of playing, just took a while to setup the campaign foundation (obsidian, spreadsheets).
>>
>>85467356
To add, ACKs gives OSR verisimilitude, which makes it easy for me to place things contextually in the world and have it all make sense for me as I go, as well as tables to generate everything within that framework.
>>
>>85467356
sounds similar to how I run >>85465849
>roll random events using OSR and birthright material
Birthright doesn't seem interesting to me but what OSR materials are you using for this? I have 1e/2e stuff, OSE, UVG, Mork Borg and a few others and should be getting Troika and ARC soon for more flavor to experiment with, but I'm not quite happy yet with my custom system for advancing overworld state like nations goings-on and such (maybe thats not what you meant but still curious)
>>
>>85466620
I’m struggling to visualise how a no-oracle narrative system would work. You correctly assess that oracles are merely a source of “second-hand imagination”, fulfilling the role of a GM’s creative input. But once you remove that, are you left simply making shit up? Or is it more like TYOV or Adventure Crafter, where you input some variables and run them through a bunch of processes to retroactively author a narrative?
>>
>>85467578
Oriental adventures has monthly and yearly tables
I use some realm events I skimmed from the Birthright forum, too
>>
>>85467777
>>
>>85467790
>>
>>85467832
there's also this from sifrpg, which is nice but less discrete
>>
This feels more like telling a story than playing a game.
>>
File: 1629607013046.jpg (58 KB, 577x583)
58 KB
58 KB JPG
>>85468148
>>
>>85437633
they go to war, duh
>>
>>85468148
I recommend trying D100 dungeon. It comes out of the box ready to play and you don't really need a story to play. While yes, most of the solo RPG niche seems catered to narrative to the point some games just single roll resolution for everything, you don't have to play that way. Simply read above for anons discussing more dungeon crawl type play
>>
>>85468148
>>85468346
I'd also recommend the upcoming Shu's tactics. I'm Kickstarting it and I'll share it when I get it in like... Two weeks. Ish. And the backer characters in September. Simple roll and write game with some story that also allows for coop and up to 4 players versus. Or Hadrian's wall. That one's fantastic! Though a lot more meaty than Shu's tactics. This particular general tends to be for RPGs, but plenty of cool solo games in general.
>>
>>85465974
>enter the discord
Nothing good could ever have come after this.

>>85466444
Outside.
>>
>>85468346
How does the time track work? I'm looking at a preview of the pdf and that caught my eye.
>>
>>85451917
ive done something similar thing with experience. I made xp and levels one in the same. so I would write Lv 3.4 to represent a level 3 character that is 4/10th of the way to the next level. I add and subtract from the decimal with each use of luck my enemy and I use. so too level up I need to use luck sparingy. ita also nice for consolidations sake. essentially my character sheet is
> HP AC System strain Level
>skill1 Skill2 Skill3 Money
then write equipment underneath. essentially 8 things to track. for one off I remove level and mony and only need 6. And for enemies I only use 4
>HP, AC, System strain, and Skill
(I can extrapolate other skills/weaknesses from the creature)
>>
>>85469067
At the start of your turn you shade in 1 clockface. Every other turn you either need to check for wandering monsters or relight your lantern. After 12 clocks you eat, then the cycle repeats. Most random events in the game will also advance your clock by 1-3 steps.
>>
File: 00010351.png (164 KB, 256x256)
164 KB
164 KB PNG
What should I play? Medieval fantasy? Cyberpunk? Space Opera? Something weird?
>>
>need half a dozen names
>fill a spreadsheet with a few thousand names
>>
>>85471720
Take the scrabble tile pill
>>
I love AI Dungeon for solo roleplay. It's good for dialogue and gives me stuff to work with. Even though sometimes the game generates nonsensical responses (a lot actually) I can edit them into something that makes sense so the game can continue. I highly recommend it, butt only as a writing tool for events and dialogue.
>>
>>85471743
I hate fantasy names like that.
>>
>>85471762
I mean for inspiration, like last time I drew NPTR so I went with Peter.
>>
>>85471983
Without a list of names I don't think I'd have any hope of getting anything out of that. And at that point I can just use the list of names.
>>
>>85471720
just use https://www.fantasynamegenerators.com/
it has real world and fantasy names
>>
>>85468148
It can be what you want it to be, so the fault is on you. You can play solo like you would a roguelike as well as telling very narrative stories.
>>
>>85471720
I use the Terra Ferax Innovations books from the "Name Tables" series like English Name Tables. Found in osr trove.
>>
>>85464419
No. Why? Basically the same as "because."
I find that it's the best way for me to do it. I took the idea from CRGE.
>>
File: 357652.pdf (4.92 MB, PDF)
4.92 MB
4.92 MB PDF
>>85471720
Tricube Tales has good name generators on page 8.
>>
>>85471743
I use a deck of cards. Red cards are the first 13 letters, black the next 13.
Because I don't have scrabble tiles.
>>
>>85474022
Good encounter tables too
>>
>>85474046
Too bad it's not more shitty old phone friendly.
I don't really want to use my computer when I'm playing solo and I'm not made out of colored ink.
>>
Not mine. I just think it's fun to see how minimalist you can go with solo and still have a viable game.
But that's because I love to come up with my own add-on rules, homebrews and hacks.
>>
>>85470494
The ultimate Isekai: Alice in Wonderland.
Embiggen yourself with mushrooms and crush your enemies under the soles of your feet.
>>
>>85463491
Not anon but in my mind, everything feeds into the dungeon or subsequent dungeons. The overworld is just one giant dungeon with some sub dungeons. I generate properties of the dungeon with each one having a difficulty level, and that guides me to what items/gear I need to overcome those properties. I can find those in the dungeon itself, or they may need to be acquired outside the dungeon, by taking on other quests and going to other dungeons.

I much prefer this way over trying to brainstorm an elaborate story with twists and turns. Gameplay first, story comes out of the gameplay
>>
>>85474754
The pdf uses layers, so you can disable the background and art to print the rest.
>>
Are gamebooks part of these threads?

Cause im playing those lone wolf books and id like to talk about it
>>
File: 20220731_180053.jpg (2.3 MB, 2992x2992)
2.3 MB
2.3 MB JPG
>>85478214
Go on..
>>
What system would be the best one for someone in prison?

Things to consider:
>Dice are not allowed, but playing cards might be used as a possible substitute
>Obviously inmates have no access to the internet, so the rules have memorized or mailed in as a proper book
>Anything explicitly sexual or violent may not be allowed in the mail
>>
>>85479866
You can use a pencil as a d6 easily
>>
File: Clipboard01.png (236 KB, 521x568)
236 KB
236 KB PNG
Any system for a quick solo pokémon experience? I don't want to play as pokémon before you ask, I want to do the basics (battling trainers, finding and using items, twarting evil plans, ect) while still delving in "dungeons" and with minimal book keeping. PTU and Pokerole have lots to check, I feel like I'm babysitting the game instead of playing!
>>
>>85479866
Why are prisoners disallowed dice, but allowed playing cards?
>>
>>85480552
Why not just make one up? Unless you're autistically in need of a 1:1 recreation this could be a starting point:
>generate pokemon
You can use this which I found after a quick google search but only includes Gen 1
http://wiki.pokemonspeedruns.com/index.php/Pok%C3%A9mon_Red/Blue/Yellow_Encounter_Slots
>encounters
You can use a d100 in the area to generate (0-20, 20-40 etc, based on the encounter rates), maybe use a d10/d20 with 10/20 being shiny?
>flow of play
Each route/cave/gym is a dungeon. Each dungeon has 1d10 rooms with 1d4 encounters, each with a 1d4 type (Trainer battle, Forced trainer battle, Pokemon habitat, Other?(berry tree, plot relevant event))
You can use this and maybe get something for 1d20 out of the trainer classes for generating trainers? https://pokemon.fandom.com/wiki/Trainer_Class
>towns
I'm sure you can find plenty of info on pokemon settings just through a search, you can treat each special area (like the Bellsprout tower or gyrados lake) as a dungeon as well with a unique pokemon at the end
>items
Just follow the games, pretty sure most of everything is documented. You can use Other in the encounter generation to roll for items depending on where you are, i.e:
https://m.bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Kanto_Route_1
>>
>>85480552
(cont)
>thwarting evil plans
Not sure, theres tons of tables out there you could use for this
Maybe something simple, like 1d10 character motivations with 1d4 "stance alignment"? So you could have
>1. Capture pokemon
>2. Kill pokemon
>3. Use pokemon as slaves
>4. Eat pokemon
>5. Fuck pokemon?
>6. ... etc
Then the 1d4 would tell you the stance the NPC has on that issue, so 3/2 could be something like "wants to investigate/fight against the group that is using pokemon as slaves" and go from there, idk. You would also have a stance on one of them which you can use to determine your rivals/allies.
>gym
1d8/1d10 for element alignment and just use scaling difficulty
>combat
Rock paper scissors as usual, there should be tables with every move listed and what each pokemon starts with in terms of moves, you can scale up their level as you go and assume the "top of band" moveset for gym leaders and such
>>
>>85481079
prison is all about arbitrary rules. their reasoning is that dice can only be used for gambling, unlike cards - pretty dumb
>>
>>85481079
there was an anon on tg that said that people just make dice in shop out of wood, they just make dowel style rollers and the guards don't care
also, he said Rifts was the most common game played
>>
>>85478594
So im on book 5
I have a question
Could lone wolf permanently lose his arm if i didnt get oede in time?

Also isnt the healing spell too OP?
>>
File: 000.jpg (1.4 MB, 1123x1600)
1.4 MB
1.4 MB JPG
>>85470494
>>
>>85481266
Yes
Healing is busted but the game is balanced around it so you can't fix it
>>
File: ttry.png (13 KB, 618x131)
13 KB
13 KB PNG
>>85383248
shoulda read the book
>>
>>85482641
REEEE
>>
>>85482641
reading is for nerds
>>
>>85478181
Thanks. I didn't even think about that.
But I'm not made out of black ink either.
;)
>>
File: Way of the Tiger.jpg (13 KB, 320x180)
13 KB
13 KB JPG
>>85478214
They are. I'm a big ass fan of Way of the Tiger (the old books, not the reissues and new book).
And of Forbidden Gateways. I LOVE those 2 books.
Golden Dragon is fun too, even if it,s a lot more kid-friendly. Sort of. The Egypt book is so hard and pretty gruesome in places.
i also like Classic Horror (2 books). pretty innovative gameplay, even if the books have lots of problems.
>>
>>85482641
Someone should have told Gygax that he couldn't play solo.
>>
>>85479866
One Page Solo Engine (can be played with only playing cards if you don't have a d6).
That takes care of the solo part.
As for the rpg itself... idk, what are you into? There's a few games that uses cards, or you can use cards as d4 (suits), d10 (ignore Face cards), d20 (ignore Face cards and count black cards as 11, 12, etc.) and d100 (2d10) easily.
D6 can be done by half a card, ignoring a 13/King.
Joker means you reshuffle the deck.
>>
>>85479866
It depends on the prison. If you don't have the freedom to write on paper, you're shit out of luck (never been to prison, so that might sound ridiculous).
For dice rolls, get a book and flip to a random page. Page number's last digit is your roll. Alternatively, write numbers on scraps of paper, shuffle them, then draw to determine your roll.
Also, how violent are we talking? I'm sure plenty of books available in prisons have some level of violence in them.
>>
>>85486038
Daydream Universal (if you can find it. Even with the wayback machine it seems to be gone. You would have to look into the 4chan archive in a solo thread for it).
Can be played without any paper and uses mental dice.
>>
>>85486205
>>
anyone make doodles for their solo games? i dont often, but sometimes i feel like it.
>>
anyone know a system for solo wargaming? like controlling massed groups and having some tactics and strategy involved?
>>
File: so1um-06.pdf (71 KB, PDF)
71 KB
71 KB PDF
I'm having a lot of fun using so1um version 6.
I use so1um enhanced for NPC stats and
I also use the Rule of 6 from so1um expended (reroll a single 6 result from your pool and add the new number to the 6 you already rolled, rerolling again if it's a 6 and adding everything until you roll something else) so that there's not a bunch of tie rolls when both parties have a big dice pool.
Since I use a lone PC, not a party, I didn't roll for HP, I just added 2 to my Body stat.
I also changed the difficulties to remove automatic. It goes Simple (2), Easy (3), Average (4), Average (4), Tricky (5), Hard (6), Incredible (9), Beyond (12), Impossible (15), Absurd (18).
>tfw rolling 20 (6+6+6+2) on a Simple challenge...
>>
>>85486347
Nah, the version I'm talking about was several pages long. 4 or 6 pages, I think? This one is an earlier version of the same game.
>>
Anyone else have a hard time always going for safe roles? Like I always want to do what is most likely to succed. I think I got to make more risky roles come with more effectual rewards. Or maybe make time limits more pressing.
>>
>>85486521
Only when I play Risus or StickGuy RPG.
I suck so much at making drawings that I can only do tongue-in-cheek stick figures.
>>
>>85486671
Ask the oracle if you can attempt your idea or if there is some obstacle that makes it harder or impossible.
If yes, you have to do the thing using another and more risky method. Or there is some constraint, like a time limit, the need for a specific tool, or another step to your action (I have to steal the keys from the guard before I can sneak to the door because the lock is too complex to pick, for example).
>>
File: tricube tables.pdf (56 KB, PDF)
56 KB
56 KB PDF
>>85485511
>>
>>85486785
Bro what kind of paper are you printing on
>>
File: ao?.jpg (113 KB, 1280x720)
113 KB
113 KB JPG
>>85486829
>want to view on phone
>complain about paper size
>>
>>85486759
hmm, I guess, but that seems overly circumstantiall and requiring me to make excuses for why im doing a harder role. I do think the time limit is a good thing. Or making some risks give really concrete rewards (Like double damage if I do the thing, but get into a bad position if I fail)
>>
>>85486950
Or perhaps I was wondering why someone would make a pdf before viewing it on a phone
>>
>>85487006
One Page Solo Engine has GM Moves. You could use that. There's the Failure Moves that you roll on when you fail at something. Maybe roll on it before attempting your action so you know what's at stake?
>>
>>85487059
Because making a pdf is less effort than getting my phone?
>>
File: The fire... it rises.jpg (718 KB, 2000x1500)
718 KB
718 KB JPG
>>85487059
>he doesn't know about the plan
>>
>>85481184
theoretically possible, but hard to make perfectly balanced, especially for non-cubes.

>>85485622
very new to tg stuff. but do have some experience with infinity engine games at least. i guess most basic (not overly complex) systems are limited to a single genre like SciFi or fantasy?

>>85486038
based on my experience (1 year in federal prison), they are always required to allow paper, pencil, envelopes and stamps. to not do so would prevent you from seeking legal recourse,do0 instance. books were usually only rejected due to sexual content, although theoretically they could be rejected for things like gore, or containing dangerous information like how to make weaponry
>>
>>85486205
Wtf is mental dice?
>>
>>85488236
>>
>>85488795
> 50
> 0 x 6 = 0
> 0 + 50 = 50
> 0

So I rolled a zero? Where is that on my dice?
>>
File: cubes1.jpg (62 KB, 870x870)
62 KB
62 KB JPG
> Roll words in an oracle and I am stumped, spending a full day thinking what they could mean.
> Roll Story Cubes and I immediately get ideas.

I love these little niggas like you wouldn't believe
>>
File: Silent Dice.pdf (616 KB, PDF)
616 KB
616 KB PDF
>>85489287
This is the full pdf it's from. That method can be used to simulate a d10, there are instructions for making other die types.
>>
Anyone here watching MMD rn?
>>
>>85486677
i mean, tbf, that kinda fits with the aesthetic of risus.
>>
>>85489661
Ahh, now I see.
>>
>>85489287
It’s addition, not literally adding the numbers together.
> 5 + 0 = 5
But you need a second number, so technically it’s “05”. So you take the rightmost number..
> 5x6+0 = 30 (10 on the die)
> 0x6+3 = 03 (3 on the die)
> 3x6+0= 18 (8 on the die)
Etc etc
>>
Remembered an old idea for randomized worldbuilding. It would be well-suited for solo play, I think:

The world is a vast, possibly endless, flat plane that has been divided up into a giant checkerboard pattern, with square plots of land (let’s say 10 miles by 10 miles wide?). Each plot of land has a “god” (with fairly limited powers) who designed it and can rule over it as they see fit.

Each plot of land has to have at least one usable exit to an adjoining plot of land. But besides that, they can have any landscape, climate, resources, etc.

The idea is basically that you would roll to randomize the details of the adjoining plots of land to you. Some lands would probably be dedicated entirely to a specific resource for trading (lumber, mining, crops, livestock, etc), others might be intentionally dangerous dungeons (assumedly designed to entertain the bored “god”), others might be designed just to cater to their hedonistic “gods” every whim, etc.

Anyways, the aspects of each land would help determine what sorts of quests and encounters you see there. Does any of this sound potentially interesting?
>>
>>85491834
>Each plot of land has to have at least one usable exit to an adjoining plot of land.
This becomes absolute bitch when 2+ gods decide to team up and hod denizes of their combined domains hostage.
>>
>>85491834
This kinda reminds me of a world I did where reality is malleable based on belief (but the people don't know this), and old realms can bubble up to the surface so to speak.
Gods of a reality have their people put down 'memory stones', which are like boundary markers which help to reinforce their reality. They're powered by the people and the belief they put out. It was all designed to encourage small scale warfare/adventuring constantly (for game purposes), with the gods, temples or other authority constantly needing small groups of troubleshooters to deal with issues. Chaotic servants could plant a chaotic stone and start bringing in more of their kind if left unattended.
Anyway, it was similar to your idea with a patchwork feel and dangerous dungeons could just pop up.
>>
>>85491875
Some more detailed rules include:

The gods can never leave their plot of land, and cannot easily communicate with one another

(Although a clever idea someone proposed is a guild devoted to passing secure letters between the different gods, to facilitate better communication.
>>
>>85491947
If they can "see" outside of their plot of land, neighbor can just leave sign at the edge of his land.
If they can't how the hell would they know where to link up the exit to the neighbor?
>>
>>85491987
Original lore proposed a sort of fog blocking out vision between the lands. Some people complained about this. But I think it makes things a bit more interesting and prevents simple methods of fast communication, which would give more excuses for travel / adventure

Also, the premise is that the entrances and exits to the various worlds are all the the same spot, basically the center of each “wall” of the square plot, if that makes any sense
>>
>>85489570
I'm glad they work for you, Anon, I'm painting mine so at least I can get a color out of them.
>>85489911
Waiting for the season to end before watching again. 7 months is too long.
>>
File: darkest.jpg (61 KB, 460x215)
61 KB
61 KB JPG
Looking for a dungeon delve similar to pic related. Basically a mix between fantasy and Cthulhu with resource management (torch, food, etc) and sanity/madness mechanics.

I have read about rolling up something similar with 5e DMG but I was curious about /tg/'s suggestions.
>>
>>85493848
With no other knowledge on your tabletop skills or experience-

OSR and OD&D are generally more resource-management focused then later editions of D&D. I also think it'd be pretty easy to come up with resource management mechanics for your own game based on what you want; personally I like DD because it asks you to bring things BESIDES just food and torches; but things like bandages for bleed conditions, antivenoms, and shovels.
>>
>>85491834
I hate it. It sounds far too arbitrarily restricted and artificial. Why would the whole world be squares? Why can't some gods have smaller plots, or more borders? What is the game here even supposed to be and how does this structure facilitate it?
>>
File: Hexhunt Alpha.pdf (3.84 MB, PDF)
3.84 MB
3.84 MB PDF
>HEXHUNT
It's done, anons!
Give it a spin, and let me know what you think!
>>
>>85493848
Any 2nd Edition DnD retro clone. I'd use Lamentations of the Flame Princess because that's what I own and it's elegant enough.
>>
>>85496118
I would have tried it but after reading about half a dozen pages I think I'm good.
>>
What's your gaming music?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjkeZPINpEc
>>
>>85496118
Looks really good Anon, I will give it a go on the weekend.
>>
>>85496118
>Catalog
Congrats, hexanon. Nice to finally have it finished.
>>
>>85496347
>Any 2nd Edition DnD retro clone
why?
I dont say that disliking ad&D I do like it, acks is my go to, but if you wanted delve focus, that seems like b/x style pinpoints on that more specifically. 2nd edition is more general.
>>
File: Envious and aroused.jpg (171 KB, 1200x799)
171 KB
171 KB JPG
>>85496118
>he completed his project
I'm impressed, jealous, angry, happy and tired all at once.
I'll try it out. Looks really good. You dick. Why can't I complete any of my own projects? I suck so much. Thank you for ruining my day and for giving me hours of future fun entertainment.
>>
>>85496118
What AI generator did you use for your art, it's solid
>>
>>85496118
I just stated a new game of The Final Girl, but once I'm done I'm trying this out.
I love games that use cards btw, so that's a huge plus for me.
I also really like that the art isn't anime or goofy. It has that old book feel to it, like old ass books about witchcraft and demons mixed with blurry Palladium art.
>>
>>85496118
I can't judge the content but I will say, presentation wise, it looks nice.
>>
>>85497043
The sound of blood rushing through my head as I wear my earplugs.
>>
>>85497043
Too low res.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTLunRuCGQQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C97A_ci50FI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LL998ajnjN4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwaFDFP7m_E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qi_n9wNSwtU
>>
>>85496764
I'm sorry it's not for you, anon. I got inspired by these /srpgg/ threads and did it basically for you, guys. So that's a bit sad but I guess everyone has their own taste.

>>85497104
Thanks, anon, let me know about anything you have to say about the game. I appreciate it greatly!

>>85497175
All for you, anons!

>>85497924
The joke's on you, anon, I completed this so that I could procrastinate on my master's thesis!

>>85498036
I used craion and used my game text+my favourite fantasy world+my favorite artist combination

>>85498189
> It has that old book feel to it,
That's what I was aiming for, so I'm glad it's noticeable.

>>85498227
thank, anon. Initially it was single-column, but some anons said that I should aim for a two-column approach, so I did as I was told, and that's the result.
>>
>>85500267
>>85496118
Also, here's an updated version
>fixed a problem with the POI table page layout.
>>
File: Hexhunt Alpha.pdf (3.81 MB, PDF)
3.81 MB
3.81 MB PDF
>>85500440
Shit, it is HERE (this time) Sorry, drunk posting.
And also here
https://hexhunt.itch.io/hexhunt
>>
>>85494510
I appreciate your candor, lol

>Why would the whole world be squares? Why can't some gods have smaller plots, or more borders?

If you’re looking for a lore explanation, that has not been decided yet. From a gameplay perspective, the goal is to allow for easy random generation of different lands. In other words it would immediately become harder if you had to randomly determine the size and shape of each land along with figuring out how they all fit together like some sort of puzzle

>What is the game here even supposed to be and how does this structure facilitate it?

The idea behind it is basically this:

Traditional settings are supposed to be organized in a logical way, with large swaths of land often sharing similar climates and cultures, right? But in this setting you might have, for instance, a scorching hot desert land whose neighbors include a tropical oceanic land, a frozen mountain land, a densely picketed city land, etc.

This should, hopefully, allow increased variety, and greater options on where to go. Additionally, the inclusion of fickle “gods” with a large variety of personalities would add to this variety.

So to answer your question more specifically, let’s use an example. Let’s say you have an overarching quest to deliver some McGuffin from Land A to Land B. Maybe the quickest route would take you through an oceanic land where you would need to pay a hefty fee for a ferry and watch our for sea monsters during the trip, then the next land would be some dangerous volcanic land teeming with monsters. That route might be quickest, but it would be more expensive and dangerous.

(To be continued)
>>
>>85501182
>>85494510
Okay, so maybe you could take an alternate route to the north, which would require passing through four lands instead of just two. And maybe some of those lands are idyllic pasture and farmlands! But unfortunately one is ruled by a neglectful “god” who doesn’t pay attention to his inhabitants, and so it’s turned a bit anarchic, with bandits and various factions fighting one another. And maybe the other farmland is ruled by a despotic tyrannical “god” who rules over his people with an iron first, and will only let you pass through if you prove your loyalty to him. Luckily, maybe the next land is a bustling city where you can replenish your supplies before continuing on to your destination, etc.

My view (which you may very well disagree with) is that this would make for a fresh and unpredictable series of challenges and side-quests on your way to completing your larger over-arching quest. Hopefully that all makes sense.
>>
>>85501182
>it would immediately become harder if you had to randomly determine the size and shape of each land
Not really, you just need a graph of the connections, like a tube map. You don't actually need to care about the geography of it, especially as the geography of it is fucked anyway. You could even make worlds with non-planar connection graphs to annoy anyone trying to draw maps.
>Traditional settings are supposed to be organized in a logical way
I think that's very rarely true. For every world with the restraint to not put swamps next to deserts, there's another with a piss forest on the slopes of Candy Mountain. Hardly anyone gives any real fucks.
>>
>>85502004
The swamp makes no sense next to a desert. At least put a mountain between the two so you can use the excuse of a rain shadow.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.