[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: trees.png (844 KB, 1383x834)
844 KB
844 KB PNG
$162 for 9 plastic trees
You can buy Trees of equal quality for $4 each from an aquarium store
How do people justify this?
>>
they are GW trees
>>
>>85023113
Buy the Aquariam Trees. Sell them online for a $158 profit!
>>
Those aren't just trees that's the Wyldwood of Ghyran - which I have to assume is really significant to enough people to create a market.
>>
File: bone.jpg (240 KB, 1024x902)
240 KB
240 KB JPG
>>85023151
neat
>>
>Wyldwood
>>
>>85023113
shit 4 brains
>>
>>85023113
Bruh, do you not see that those are ESSENTIAL FACTION TERRAIN? Essential means it's even gooder than good. It's like super good. Goddamn bargain, if you ask me.
>>
>>85024061
It is unironically actually extremely important for Sylvaneth. It's a core mechanic
>>
>>85024034
>>
>>85024034
>they call me woody
>WWYYYYYYLLLD WOODY
>>
>>85023113
>$162 for 9 plastic trees
I remember when people were shit-talking GW for $30 hills.
>>
>>85023113
Well, GW only allows GW models to be used in their shops and tournaments, so if you dont want your elves (or whatever the fuck trademarked name GW has given them nowadays) setting up on a battlefield that looks like a golf course, hand over your money, paypig.
>>
>>85024061
What MTG powers do they give to a faction that mingles with it? Something overpowered and retarded probably, for the next few months at least, at which point the powers will be removed to encourage sales of some other different powercreeped terrain.
>>
>>85023113
Brand products will usually slap at least 500% on their production costs.
>>
>>85023113
Reminder that Warhammer is just a game to show off how much disposable income you have.
>>
>>85027003
Hills are a planned release next month, $250 for a flocked lump of polystyrene, gives x4 attacks and doubles missile range of any unit you can squeeze onto the tiny top.
>>
>>85027043
Show off to who though? A GW trade show room or the local smelly LGS isnt really the pest place to find peers or future partners worth showing off to.
>>
>>85027050
They might as well sell a 600$ orc trukk that has the old special rule of being allowed to carry as many models as you can physically fit on it then.
>>
>>85027092
I miss Gorkamorka
>>
>>85027062
Used to go into my FLGS with my wife all the time. Smelly nerds always aggressively tried to awkwardly flirt with her. Some guys were so obnoxious she refuses to even go in there anymore. Last straw was when someone assumed she didn't know how to paint, despite her having award winning models in the cabinets and he took her model forcibly from her hand and started slobbering globs of unthinned metallic silver all over it despite her painting it fucking bronze, to "show her how it's done".
GW nerds are pathetic and stupid so yeah.
>>
>>85023113
how do you justify making this thread every single day?
>>
>>85027743
How do you justify their prices every single day?
>>
>>85027464
>despite her having award winning models in the cabinets and he took her model forcibly

I too make up stories on the internet
>>
>>85023113
>You can buy Trees of equal quality for $4 each from an aquarium store
Proofs?
>>
>>85027770
Nope 100% true. I'm still pissed about it because of one autist I now have to do all my warhammering alone. She'll go into other hobby shops but not ones based on GW games anymore. The redshirts apologized for the autist but it only takes one shitty experience to chase away a women forever,
>>
File: 20220622_111357.jpg (327 KB, 862x907)
327 KB
327 KB JPG
>>85023113
They'll pay for it because they're unironically autistic and think every game piece has to look exactly the way it does on the box. I bought the big box of Horus Heresy which was crammed full of enough stuff to make it worth it (moreso because I paid for half of it in store credit at the lgs.) Plan on converting the 40 space marines in it into whatever marines I want, but when I commented on it in the general the other day, I got about 6 or 7 anons autistically shrieking 'NOOO THEY WON'T PERFECTLY RESEMBLE THE ACTUAL MODELS! YOU HAVE TO SPEND THE $100 AND BUY THE 5 SPACE MARINE KIT. YOU CAN'T JUST CONVERT THE 40 YOU JUST GOT FOR $3 A PIECE. STOP TRYING TO SAVE MONEY AND PAY THE MARKUPS REEEEE.' It's kind of bizarre how hard they seethe at the idea of someone trying to be a bit more intelligent with their money, but autism be like that I guess.
>>
>>85027767
I don't. i don't do mini games, it's just boring seeing the same shitspam
>>
um thats actually a good price. the plastic is highly expensive and of exceptional quality.
production cost is very high and GW have so much staff to pay at competitive salaries, including storage, designers, sculpters. they have loads of staff to pay.
>>
>>85028543
Dude, shut the fuck up
>>
File: You.png (115 KB, 1800x1578)
115 KB
115 KB PNG
>>85028462
>>
>>85028543
Plastic is worthless and cost nothing, its only the molds that cost any amount of money. Designers and sculptors are contract and get paid shit wages with no benefits. You're pulling retardation out your ass.
>>
>>85028579
Spam threads are trash and you should feel trash
>>
>>85028165
People who play 30k can be divided into:

>chill grogs who just wanna play space marines for god’s sake who recast and 3D print
>complete fanatical paypig autists who have read every black library book and will shit on you for not using the right armor mark for your legion (even though every legion used all types of armor)
>>
>>85028595
Spoken as someone who's never run a business before.
>>
>>85028675
sure totally got me. I mean most of the world hasn't ran a business before since most of the world is controlled by like 30 companies but whatever you got me. I and not one of those 30 guys. Good guess.
>>
>>85027956
>it only takes one shitty experience to chase away a women forever

Thank god
>>
>>85028669
30k does have some excellent model design. I've considered getting into it for years just because of how much I like the Solar Auxilia models, but literally nobody plays it around here so it's hard to justify the cost and time investment, even with recasts. The new box set has sparked some interest, though, so maybe I'll finally jump in.
>>
>>85023113
Realistically most companies, for this amount and plastic quality, would charge about 60-75usd range.
>>
>>85027956
Your weak command presence invited this.
>>
>>85027464
Why did you bring a woman in our store, fag?
>>
File: Cenobiums1.jpg (113 KB, 1000x558)
113 KB
113 KB JPG
>>85029759
They do but a lot of them are just generic models with minor changes. I paid $100 for pic related because they're unique and interesting looking models, but I'm not paying $100 for a couple of marines with a pauldron and a different gun slapped onto them.
>>
>>85023113
Funniest thing is that they look like shit. I don't understand people who pay for GW terrain, it looks like ass and it's out of place on any table that's not AoS or 40k. They're not even fit for Warhammer Fantasy ffs
>>
>>85031069
Those are just fucking trees, how can they not fit somewhere? Is ever other game you play set in rural Saudi Arabia?
>>
File: actualtrees.jpg (475 KB, 1600x1295)
475 KB
475 KB JPG
>>85031175
Those plastic abominations are not trees, and they look like shit.

These are trees.
>>
>>85023113
My assumption is that they don't expect customers to buy multiples of it like say a squad of tactical marines not to mention it's meant for a specific faction meaning even less potential sales requiring them to have to increase to price to compensate since alot of the cost of getting minis onto shelves aren't manufacturing costs but the costs of designing, managing, developing, mold making, etc.

Still too expensive tho, and not super smart from a business perspective as It's riskier than just a unit of troops and less likely to take in as much money imo
>>
>>85031295
Also they expect that their players are braindead enough to spend 160+ dollars for 9 fucking trees that look like crap, instead of spending a fraction of that and getting an entire fucking forest from Woodland scenics or something
>>
>>85028165
I was in that thread, it was more the fact that your retarded arse was literally just slapping plasma guns on tactical marines so that they look just like a plsama gun support squad and not like the unit you wanted which would cause confusion. You chatted shit in that thread dont try project how you were not the retard in other threads.
>>
>>85031388
To add to this why not just get a 3D printer or a recast?
>>
>>85027956
The guy who brings his gf as a silent tag along to the hobby shop is as bad as the autist. No one is impressed you have a gf, and lots of nerds have wives and gfs too. I went to a tournament recently and some loser had his gf silently standing next to him the entire day just watching him roll dice. It's fucking weird.
>>
>>85023113
I've seen people put down money for plastic rocks. ROCKS. FUCKING ROCKS. LITERALLY GO OUTSIDE THERE'S TRILLIONS OF FUCKING ROCKS TO CHOOSE FROM.
>>
>>85027036
It is a model they can summon for zero points. It allows them to teleport between them and pretty much all of their mechanics interacts with them somewhat.

To be at least semi-competently played a sylvaneth player needs six groves, summoning one each turn. Meaning that they need to buy 2 of those boxes
>>
>>85031597
Why not buy regular wargaming trees like these >>85031272 which are 100 times less expensive and look better, then?
>>
>>85024571
kek
>>
>>85027464
>he took her model forcibly from her hand and started slobbering globs of unthinned metallic silver all over it
I hope you smashed his skull with an iron bar.
>>
>>85029046
Stop replying to obvious bait.
>>
>>85031638
Many do.
>>
>>85031638
>which are 100 times less expensive
Where? I'm tired of people complaining about GW prices and never showing any actual alternatives.
>>
>>85035000
Woodland Scenics has a ton of stuff for making realistic-looking trees.
And pretty much every store that stocks hobby supplies.
>>
>>85023113
Link me that aquarium, the pet shop close to me is just as expensive as GW.
>>
>>85035057
>Woodland Scenics has a ton of stuff for making
>making
that't the issue
>>
>>85023113
If those chode trees were a bit taller I'd be inclined to like them, the old cast metal trees from Britains etc look great
For something stylistically similar with cast foliage sculpting something up in Blender and getting somebody to print it is a good option
>>
>>85027770
>he doesn't have an award-winning minipainter wife
NGMI, lad
>>
File: 1650740407093.jpg (62 KB, 640x640)
62 KB
62 KB JPG
back in my day I made trees by taking a clothes hanger, cutting it up into little pieces for the wire, taking 3 bits of wire and then wrapping them in tape with the top of the wire bent outwards. Then I cut paper into palm leaves, used the wire as the center of the palm frond, painted that green, painted the stem brown, jammed the whole thing into a chunk of foam which was sprayed green and glued with lichen and little rose bud flowers I got from the craft store and that was a jungle forest.
I then used wood dowel to create a cross, used the extra arms from a box of boyz (back in those days you got enough arms for sluggas/choppas or shootas) the sluggas/choppas glued to the wood dowel cross were stuck into a base, and then covered in more lichen. Those were my kommandos - and they hid in the lichen of the forest bases so that enemy players would forget that they were on the table.
>>
File: trees-02.png (182 KB, 285x380)
182 KB
182 KB PNG
>>85031638
>Because they need the official model ™ to be able to play at any of the top 3 tables at a GW endorsed event
>Even though most players will never reach that position some do it anyway for consooming reasons
My favourite thing about this is that GW used to have a different official tree™ for sylvaneth that was already pretty overpriced
>picrel
Then they released the trees in OPs pictures and changed the rules so that they only affect the models in the central hole, forcing the consoomers to consoomneven more
>>
File: xiguan.png (3.72 MB, 2048x2048)
3.72 MB
3.72 MB PNG
>>85023113
Kek I can buy half of an Infinity table worth of terrain for $150, and it's from one of the priciest terrain shops.
Sure it's MDF, but it looks way better anyway lol.
>>
>>85035176
Is it really too much effort to build some realistic looking trees from different materials sold by most hobby/model train shops compared to putting together GW trees from a sprue which cost much more?
>>
>>85031272
where'd you get those trees
>>
>>85039235
>Building.
Fuck you, I didn't get into this hobby to build and paint a ton of tiny models
>>
>>85039168
I don't get why so few people mix mdf with 3dprint bits.
These complmet each other perfectly. MDF is great for quick and cheap large pieces of terrain, 3d bits are great for breaking the flats and detailing it to a decent level.
Even if you dont want to get into 3d printing yourself, you can get some cheapo online printing service that for 25 usd will print you enough grates, keypads and fuseboxes to pimp up dozen tables. Hell, if you know a guy with a printer he might do it for a beer - shits so small and low profile its extremely quick and cheap to print and finish.
>>
>>85031388
Who the fuck cares lmao. Take your meds.
>>
>>85027956
>wife who is into minis and hates GW
Anon, I hope you get divorced. She's too good for you, unless you play non-GW games with her.
>>
>>85023113
Or print them for 3 each? My LGS has a 3D printer and they print 28 mm minis for 3 per and bigger ones for 6 each. The owner does modeling for free. One costs him about a buck and a half to print. He's earns double per, and at this point he's earned like ten times the printer value. Why has your LGS not gotten a 3D printer yet anon?
>>
>>85039281
Kek
>>
>>85040264
>modelling for free
>earning
>>
>>85040563
3D modeling cost nothing but time. And if he sells them online, which I don't know if he does or doesn't, he gets extra.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.