[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

My dnd campaign recently played some sessions set in an alternate timeline of the dm's homebrew, and it was a ton of fun playing as different versions of our regular characters.

With multiverse stories proliferating in pop culture, it seems strange you don't hear about them in roleplaying more often. Has anyone used the concept in your roleplaying games? Alternate timeline, mirrorverse, whatever
>>
Outside of setting some scenes in flashbacks, I rarely deal with my players changing around character sheets. Heaven knows they can't even remember what their single character sheet even does have the time. Wouldn't want to fry their heads having to read a new set of numbers.
>>
>>85022995
Funnily enough, the above mentioned nega-characters were the result of burn-out on our part. We needed a bit of a change of pace
>>
>>85022962
>Has anyone used the concept in your roleplaying games?
My group had an idea of playing a scenario where the PCs swapped backstories, (Rich noblewoman had her family become destitute and the ranger got adopted by some rich parents instead of being a street rat their whole life to give an example), but we never actually put it into practice.
It was a neat thought experiment thinking about how different they would end up being, so we might use it later on.
>>
>>85023165
Just coming up with the circumstances that would make the characters so different was most of the fun, and finding that through-line between the two can tell you a lot about the characters.

If the kraken had approached my cocky but well-meaning sorcerer before his spark had awoken and allowed him some leverage in leaving his fishing village, then in a moment of desperation he would have sold the then unknown spark to this being for an escape. Throw in several months at sea on seedy vessels instead of as an apprentice with an air-ship guild and we'd end up with a significantly grubbier and more mean-spirited rogue/warlock.
>>
File: file.png (1.19 MB, 1200x1043)
1.19 MB
1.19 MB PNG
>>85022962
I'm currently working on an AU based on our first ever campaign, Sunless Citadel, called "the inverted Castle". It will be a lvl 5 to 9 campaign where things are switched around. For example, the kobolds are the asshole here and "Meepo" will be a mischevious goblin that helps the party because the other goblins hate him.
Players will have to play the same character and theme for it, but they gotta at least switch the subclass around to make it somewhat different.

I also have the recurring trope in every campaign where the party encoutners their "clones". They're never plot relevant nor tied to their backstory, jsut a bunch of guys who happen to look exactly like them, with either genders, classes or alike switched around. Sometimes they fight them, sometimes they befriend them.

I agree that the whole AU is really fun to play around with, but I understand that some people might be against it.
>>
>>85022962
>it seems strange you don't hear about them in roleplaying more often.
Not really, comic books revolve around main character syndrome it's why you have alternate version to freshen them up when they get stale. RPGs don't have this issue imposed by design therefore multiverse concepts are better represented by plane of existence like the D&D cosmology.
>>
>>85031376
Eh, comic books don't have a problem with Main Character Syndrome (tm) so much as they just have main characters, but I see what you're getting at. Roleplaying craves new locales to keep the adventure going when a long-form medium like comics probably needs characters more
>>
>>85032023
>Main Character Syndrome (tm) so much as they just have main characters
Yeah that's what I meant, I didn't mean Main Character Syndrome (tm) I meant as you understood I meant.
>>
Bump

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.