[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: solome.jpg (242 KB, 1600x1200)
242 KB
242 KB JPG
A thread for people who play single player role playing games, with Mythic GME and other systems derived from it.

Previous thread: >>84889824

Discord: https://discord.gg/JKeyHcU
FAQ/Q&A, links, topics, and games: https://rentry.org/srpgg
>>
reposting from last thread
Do I miss a table for something very obvious that I should have thought of ? I'm on session 7 of my game so I think I've encountered or thought of most of what can happen but I might have goofed
>>
>>85021765
Looks like you’ve got a good thing going there, but personally I like a simple “what’s different?” table, for altering expectations about something.
>>
>>85022681
twene is nice, I lifted that for my solo toolset too
>>
>>85021713
solo?
more like gaylo lol.
>>
>>85019812
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll take a look at 'em. I've actually been thinking of reviving an older solo project, too, only thing is I need to get a printer before I can get back to it.
It'll give me a chance to test some new setting rules I've written up.
>>
>>85021713
What would be a good ruleset to use for making a solo fleet combat experience?
>>
>>85021765
Hey that's pretty cool anon.
>>
>>85024257
I think opr has solo rules for their ship game.
>>
>>85021713
>Playing at a computer
You guys don't really do this, right?
>>
>>85026780
why risk someone finding the sex encounter journal?
>>
>>85026780
Taking notes is slow enough as it is, without writing it physically

I do use a tablet instead though
>>
File: automated.png (120 KB, 1788x990)
120 KB
120 KB PNG
>>85026780
>he doesn't use his own software to streamline his play
Do you even solo bro
>>
>>85027332
just looking at this makes me want to kill myself
>>
>>85027348
I could probably polish the UI now since I stopped adding so many damn buttons to try about 6 months ago but it would take at least 2 hours for a simple cleanup, and far more to make it nice
>>
>>85027381
do it and release it for us anon
>>
>>85021765
Based quilt engine player.
>>
>>85023359
You missed the last 2 threads, bro. But nice to see you're back with us again.
>>
Plot that the PC kind of just gets inserted into or a deeply personal plot that would not work if you were playing a different character? Where on the scale do you tend to fall?

>>85023359
Uh, solobros? Care to explain?
>>
>>85027332
Damn, fantastic stuff.
>>
>>85027381
Please do it and give it to us. I will fuck your wife in exchange.
>>
>>85027332
Been there, done that, ended up >>85027348
>>
>>85026780
>>85026780
I don't, but I can see the appeal.
If I was big on writing things out, I would use a software.
>>
>>85027932
Personal stories are better, but more difficult for me to see through.
My most successful games were 'random generic PC is in a place. Roll for what is going on there'.
Fleshing out the PC as I play, discovering the world and the plot as it unfolds.
This is fun and easy for me, but not what I truly want to do. I want to play involved more structured stories, but I find it super hard to pull off. I only finish like 1 out of 5 of those I start. Most I just drop after scene 2 or 3.
That's another thing. Playing without scenes is easier for me. The story just flows, but when I try to play something more story-focused that way, it just doesn't work.
>>
>>85027932
>deeply personal plot vs yolo insertion
I've done both. My current style leans towards using deep characters, a plot or two that I find really compelling for the starting PC(s), and then letting the dice guide from there - for me a lot of the fun is having characters grow and face tough and rewarding decisions/experiences.
When I started I tried the deeply personal and couldn't get it off the ground - I was still quite new - and moved to yolo insertions and shorter games while I tried out various systems and built up my own solo tools and techniques. Then I shifted back to more personal stuff but don't lay out too much in the beginning, other than fleshing out characters.
Just dungeon crawling isn't something I've done in a while.
>>
>>85027777
yes please release
>>
>>85027777
>>85028510
>>85028015
>release
I'll do it for myself and my /srpgg/ bros, will be a few weeks as I want to redo the UI from the ground up (plenty of buttons no longer in use) and make a modular dice rolling button area.
>I will fuck your wife in exchange
What do you think this is, a Pathfinder thread?
>>
>>85021713
anyone else use a general format rather than set rules? I totally understand that having concrete rules provide a firm grounding for things and makes things feel cohisive, but sometimes I dont want to remember rules or make new ones so I do a vague thing like pic related. A basic interaction loop. set a wanted effect, how hard it should be to do (target number) and either do something incrementally towards it (lower that target number, usually by making an easier role), trying to complete it (challange tn), or changing strategy to something else (change effect).

not fudging with bonuses or special effects, but what the narrative is describing.
>>
>>85028967
>I'll do it for myself and my /srpgg/ bros

the best of us
>>
>>85029101
Yes, but I don't really think about it when I do, I just do it. I find that some things come easy, some are harder. What is easy to me, I don't try to explain it, even to myself, or make a big deal out of them, I just do them.
But I do 'vague things' similar as you for other things. Mostly for the big picture stuff. Or when there's a lot of conflicting motivations, relationships and NPCs in the adventure. It helps to put all of it down on paper to see all the possibilities.
>>
>>85029101
TNs are my pet peeve, they're the faggiest thing to ever see the light of day. If the difficulty of something is set, why are you even rolling ?
You know what your character did to prepare for task and you know the difficulty of said task, why are you rolling dice ?
Roll under characteristic makes sense because it's related to a set thing (can my character mobilise enough X to achieve goal) but setting a TN by yourself is so innately biased that you don't ever actually need it.
>>
What non-combat mechanics do you use that are actually fun? I mean game mechanics, not journaling or plot/GME systems.
>>
>>85029101
Sometimes, I like to use 2d6 for framing how expected or weird a scene, person, thing is
7 is expected, 2 and 12 are very unexpected/weird and high is 'good' and low is 'bad' in polarity degrees
The stranger the situation is the more I shift the bands away from expected in the middle

>>85029751
Game of thrones social combat base mechanics (not their weird attribute/dice system). It lets you play out any/all social encounters where people are influencing others, it's fun and instead of just deciding or rolling a % outcome you get more to it.
>>
I like a lot of the mini-games from the old James Bond rpg. Seduction. Chase. Gambling.
>>
>>85029801
was meant for
>>85029751
Lifepath are also great for character generation and for between adventures. I should make my own. I've used the ones in Star Trek, Traveler and Mekton 2. And a few fantasy setting ones online.
>>
>>85029427
eh… I dont really agree. Mind you I sometimes use role under as well, like blackhack style, but I think its fundementally a question of framing. under characteristic sets things relitive to your ability (subject), while tn sets things relitive to the task (object). tn is more useful when a specific task might be undertaken by multiple subjects who each have their own aptitude. as it takes the chalange of the task in general modified by the subjects aptitude. while role under characteristic takes the characters aptitude modified by the task.

I think tn is more immediately representative often, since the task at hand is more primary in ones mind then ones aptitude at a given skill.
but again, essentially, mathmatically, they are the same thing. its simply difference in framing.
>>
>>85029751
same as >>85029101 lowering a target number or going for a goal i find engaging choice. Its kind of like poker where you can up the ante or fold. I like to set a high target number for something and try to balance the time spent lowering it, and actually achieving it. all the while there is a time limit or someone else is doing the same to you. I use it a lot in social encounters. when do you want to risk “going for the kill”. If you spent 3 turns lowering a target number, the oposition might have already beat yours.
>>
>>85029751
a custom weather table, set 6 likely steps from sunniest to stormiest,(eg drizzle to monsoon), roll 1d6 at the start of session to determine starting weather, then everytime it's plausible, roll 1d6, 1 or 2 weather gets worse, 3 or 4 it stays the same, 5 or 6 it gets better
>>85029851
Yes, but in terms of framing, roll under is rolling against your own physical or mental limitation while rolling against a TN is basically checking if you prepared hard enough for the task, which is moronic in a solo RPG as you're the one imagining the task and having your character try and overcome it.
>>
>>85030090
I find it strange that you interpret the die roll as determining the characters level of preparation rather than the many random factors that influence success or failure at a given task.
>>
Do you have any advice on running dungeon crawls?
>>
>>85031000
yes
>>
>>85031058
Cool beans
>>
>>85031370
thanks
>>
>>85030090
yah, but your not just doing that. a dice role ingeneral is about likelyhood of an outcome given any number of factors. your limitations just being one. the randomness of battle the challage of the process, hinderances , etc. rolling under your athletics for jumping over 3 feet or 9 seems unillustrative, unless you put a mod to deliniate between the diffuculty of the tasks. at at that point it’s essentially just a targetnumber but you start with your ability then add/subtract mods and geberal challenge instead of the general challange then add/subtract mods and your ability modifier.
>>
>>85026780
i would try but i dont know any good software things
>>
>>85032219
there is this really underground program called notepad thats pretty great for solo. its kinda hard to find. Though I think there is an apple rip off called “notes”. If you are linux, your fucked frankly.
>>
>>85028967
I'll fuck...your dad? You? Honestly just point me in the right direction.
>>
>>85031000
I think this is the easiest way to start solo. Dungeons. First time? Use a pre-existent map. Roll d6 to find out which way the character/party goes. (right, left, front, w/e)

Ran into a creature? check reaction. Don't have a table; test some charisma attribute. Or roll d6 again (odd parley, even hates you)

I find that very few abstract interactions will take place
>>
>>85033200
awful advice, anyone not profoundly autistic is going to think solo is shit after 2 minutes of that
>>
File: Apocalypse .pdf (290 KB, PDF)
290 KB
290 KB PDF
>>85033200
yah, maybe if you want to be a dm rather than a solo player.
>>85031000
something like this. or if you want the feel of dungeon crawl id recommend playing through sceptor of the underworld.
>>
Anyone here played Legendary Kingdoms? What do you think about it, and how it compares with Fabled Lands?

Also, been looking for Crown and Tower, but no luck in the share thread.
>>
>>85031000
B1 In Search of the Unknown and B2 Keep on the Borderlands. Even if you don't want to use B/X D&D, the dungeon exploration procedures are extremely useful if you want a deeper experience. B1 & B2 teach you how to stock a dungeon and how to create wandering monster tables. B2 also provides guidance for factions and presents a starting town (the titular Keep) as an example headquarters.

It may be more heavy lifting than you're looking for, but Basic D&D+B1 & B2 has the codified dungeon crawl rules. X1 Isle of Dread is also useful for teaching yourself what's necessary for hexcrawls, in case you're interested.
>>
>>85036432
if you are talking about old tsr stuff, ad€d dungeon masters guide also has a rando generating systems for making a procedural dungeon for more player focused play as well.
>>
>>85036549
Indeed. The 1e DMG has a lot of decent material, but it can be a pain to find it due to the way it's organized.

You don't strictly need a dungeon map, you could do point crawls instead. Upshot is you have less to keep track of.
>>
File: Strategic.pdf (678 KB, PDF)
678 KB
678 KB PDF
>>85036652
i agree the dmg being oddly organized and byzantine, but the procedual dungeon part is actually well formated. I think the same, or near the same system was also published in issue one of the strategic review. though of course it doesnt have monster stats.
bonus, i think its also the issue that introduced mindflayers.
>>
>>85036776
Nice.

Either way, the rules are useful for their intended purpose, and I strongly encourage anyone interested to check them out.
>>
>>85021713
>>85036432
speaking of, it would be a bit of a project, but I always wanted to tailor older d&d modules into a more solo freindly reading experience. mostly by formating the information in a heavily abstracted cyoa. Where the choices are really broad and the info is relayed to you as if yiu were a player rather than as a universe controling games master. stuff like
>if you defeated the goblins go to section b3 if you ran away, go to b4
or
>if you would like to know more about the keep, you can ask the wizard by going to e2, if you would like to see various goings on in the keep go to e6, if you have retrieved item 62, event s4 occurs in the cortyard.
>>
>hmmm what should I post to keep this thread alive?
>*roll d100 twice*
>*check Mythic's action-subject tables*
>"Adversity Possessions"
Are there any play aids, digital or physical, that you ceased to use because they got in the way? I used to use Roll20 instead of minis and terrain but found myself spending way too much time just setting up character tokens and maps and shit. Easier to place a few random objects and minis on my desk and use that as a battlemap.
>>
>>85038699
I'd rather spend time setting up Foundry Vtt than touching that shitfest of roll20
>>
>>85038699
Tried using Obsidian for that but it doesn't works correctly for that.
>>
>>85033200
That's one way to play, but I find that's it's too GM focused and like a board game to really showcase the potential of solo gaming.
Most people want to play as the PC, not the GM. At least at first. And they want the surprises that comes with an emergent story rather than the quasi-linear board game experience.
A good compromise would be Barbarian Prince, maybe? It's mostly from the PC's POV, his very board game-like, but still has lots of surprises in store for the player.
>>
>>85040203
*is very*
>>
>>85038699
various journal/info software that I tried and tossed until I found Obsidian
>>
>>85038699
>roll20
I use it as quick battlemap like random objects on a desk, throwing stuff on there and drawing anything I need poorly
>>
>>85038699
>Are there any play aids, digital or physical, that you ceased to use because they got in the way?
AI Dungeon
>>
>>85033642
So... everyone here should be fine with it is what you're saying?
>>
What do you do when the dice say the story should go in a direction you have no interest of roleplaying in?
My way is to to reroll, but interpret the result in a more negative way for my PC than what the dice says. So a positive result would have some drawback or complication added to it. A negative result would be more so or have more than one negative things happening at once.
My second way to deal with this, if I have trouble seeing a way out of the situation I put myself into with a single roll, is to ignore everything, put myself back on track by fiat and roll a very negative random event or two, depending on how much I had to twist things around to get back to something I want to play. Basically each positive random event used to stir the story my way gives me 1 random negative event.
Let's say I get captured and sent to the mines. I have no desire to play a break out of jail story. I decide that the caravan transporting us to the mines gets attacked by a makeshift army of the surrounding villages banding together to get their people back from the slavers. That's 1 negative random even tot roll. But I decide that I don't want to be mixed with the whole village/slavers thing. So I decide that my story picks up a week later as my PC gets to the city he was trying to reach when he was captured . A second negative random event to be rolled. Or maybe a third, if I feel like it makes more sense.
All of that is mostly about oracle rolls, not rpg rolls. But if, for example, my getting taken prisoner is because of a failed combat or failed skill roll, I will also give myself some consequences aside from the oracle ones. Losing XP, having a wound that gives me some -1 on a stat, losing an ally (doesn't have to be death), whatever.
>>
>>85041702
Very good question.
The way I approach it is this:
If the most logical outcome is something I really don't feel like playing - which doesn't come up often - then I create a few outcomes that are comparatively bad, assign them %'s, and roll unless something really makes sense to me and I go with it.
>But I decide that I don't want to be mixed with the whole village/slavers thing. So I decide that my story picks up a week later as my PC gets to the city he was trying to reach when he was captured . A second negative random event to be rolled. Or maybe a third, if I feel like it makes more sense.
These outcomes don't sound comparative to me, as part of what makes a good story are the bad, challenging parts. The caravan being attacked and sending the PC to slavery is bad - the PC will experience and learn new things about people, themselves, and come out changed. Delaying the story a week is not going to give you a similar outcome, nor will a wound or losing XP. Something like, losing transportation, supplies, and finding yourself in a bad position (ally poisoned/sick/severely injured, terrible weather) and having to make tough choices would roughly equate, to me.
>>
>>85037530
Pro: Awesome for the rest of us
Con: It would be even worst for you to try and play them after doing this
The best of both worlds would be having a small group of people doing it and using only modules that the others haven't read already. Then giving the finished modules to the other players to play through.
One strange way to go about playing an old module might be using the NPCs and maps, but using a cut up sheet of paper to read random passages of the module without spoiling yourself.
Maybe on some roll of the dice, you roll for a page and blindly put the sheet with the small square cut out of it on that page and read what is there?
Probably too random and impractical, unless the module is divided into chapters.
>>
>>85034397
With a few tweaks, this template will be perfect for a Genesys-driven solo experience, narrative dice and all. Thanks for sharing!
>>
File: Rules-rearranged.pdf (900 KB, PDF)
900 KB
900 KB PDF
>>85021713
Pushing toward the end
Still going strong
>pre-alpha
- Revised Events: Things
- Revised Events: People

>I've got the idea to add trading as rules,but it gets bigger and bigger, so I'll add it AFTER I'm done with this.
>>
>>85042597
>genesys
This is my system from now on
I've played all types but I like using the narrative dice of Genesys because
A) it has very smooth outcome distributions
B) you can derive narrative nuances from the rolls such as succeeding due to a bonus die from conditions, which would give more weight to that in the outcome
I still like a simple 2d6/1d100 Trav/Mythras style as my second go to, and it's what I'm currently using, but I'll switch back at some point in this campaign
>>
>>85032624
I like a go-getter
>>
>>85027332
While the gui is absolutely disgusting, your work definitely deserves some praise, reminds me of old days of computing when people actually wrote their own software tools, just like you are doing.
Some suggestions for the gui, if you'd like to clean this up and put it on-line:
1) use tabs for the different categories
2) add a file edit view etc. to better organise some of the options
3) implement a search for a specific command/button, to allow quick jumping to the desired buttons and reduce jumping around the program
4) make a two column modular window, allowing the user to pick what tab/content he wants in these two columns
You could use more columns or even implement some more powerful tiling system, but in real life document organising we use two columns usually so it comes natural to most people.
Good luck on working on your toolkit, wether you decide to share it or not, and many compliments for making your own program.
>>
>>85021713
First time doing solo stuff here, but I did have a few questions I didn't see answered in the FAQ.
Biggest question being, would you recommend doing any solo 5E games with multiple characters, maybe 2 or 3 instead of just one?

And would you recommend 5E as a system to use for solo play, or is it not good for it?
>>
What do you all use to keep track of your character's harems?
How do you generate a diverse selection of female NPCs to enslave and capture?
Any interesting quests or stories based around establishing or cultivating a harem?
Any good tables or oracles for harem master/Conqueror style of play?
>>
>>85047887
Followup to this anons question, which D&D edition do you think gives the best solo play (either with a small group or preferably a single character)?
I did some with 5e at lower levels with a single paladin character. It worked fine enough but staying alive was tough without a few other party members. Instead of just drying, I would see if the oracle could have someone rescue me from death like a passing elf or whatever then take the story from there.
Likewise, I was curious if there are any systems that lend themselves well to a dungeon crawl with plenty of fighting, loot, xp, etc. I guess something with a bit of an MMO or ARPG feel to it. Progression and making my character stronger is one of my favorite parts of TTRPGs. I'm considering just rolling with D&D since I've never gotten to the level cap before. I never tried 4e but I hear it tried to capitalize on the WoW craze so it might have some of what I'm looking for if someone can confirm.
>>
>>85048033
simulating a harem as individual npcs sounds like a chore, you’d probably want to run it as a faction with a couple of notable npcs
if you’re going around enslaving women, I’d assume they want to not be slaves and eventually you have 5+ characters you have to keep track of trying to fuck you over while you’re off doing whatever, fuck that

are there any games that handle slavery mechanically? I know tales of gor has slave handling as a skill but iirc it never goes into any kind of explanation or mechanical structuring of what the fuck it even does, it’s just there as a skill and it’s up to the gm to deal with it
>>
File: 1650281262493.jpg (171 KB, 700x800)
171 KB
171 KB JPG
>>85048033
>Any good tables or oracles
I got ya anon. Enjoy.
>>
>>85048163
>no facial attractiveness
>no lip size
>no vulval plumpness
>no butthole colouration
apply yourself
>>
>>85047887
>>85048103
Any system can be used for solo. Even the most complex ones. You just have to approach a mechanic or skill roll you don't want to bother with, if it's too complex, with an oracle roll instead. Saves time
>>
>>85046210
>use tabs for the different categories
I like it
>make a two column modular window, allowing the user to pick what tab/content he wants in these two columns
I like it
One of the issues I need to address is a modular dice area that allows the user to write their own button. I have a bunch of different systems thrown on there as I tried them all; having a modular dice area that lets you set simple scripts for rolling and assigning to a button is needed for general use.
>menu
Yep
>>
>>85048177
>body rolling tables
This is something /srpgg/ should tackle
>>
File: zathrum_2.2.pdf (147 KB, PDF)
147 KB
147 KB PDF
>>85047887
Everything can be use to solo, even a lone solo engine without an rpg.
But I would suggest this:
Use 5E rules as much as possible when you can instead of the solo engine.
Use a very light solo engine.
Don't try to play a published module. It's actually pretty hard to do, no matter the rpg. But you can use the maps and NPCs from one and tell a different story with them. You can even mix and match maps and NPCs from different modules.
It's best if you keep the stats of NPCs, but let the solo engine determine their personality, reactions and goals.
If you feel like knowing the maps and the NPC stats in advance is "cheating", you could make an INT test to see if your PC figures out something that you have knowledge of because you're the "GM."
You could even play 5E without a solo engine.
I used to play Call of Cthulhu solo before I knew it was even a thing. Luck rolls used as a sort of oracle roll and Idea rolls to see if my PC figured out stuff. It wasn't ideal, but it did the job back then. Too bad I was trying to play published modules only. I could have had so much fun if I tried to make my own stories.
MUNE is a very light solo engine that would work for 5E.
I would post it, but it's bigger than 8MB? wtf, it's only 5 pages long!
Have a Zathrum instead. It's simple enough.
>>
>>85048161
>are there any games that handle slavery mechanically
Not in the TTRPG space. If you want to handle the mechanics of it I suggest checking out Jack o' Nine Tails wiki (or the game) as it gives a layout for different personalities and progression. It's pretty nuanced overall. You could build a simple shell using it, but it would involve adding a number of mental attributes if you wanted to get deeper.
ToG handles it by rolling the handling skill vs WP, then progressing that up or down until completion while assuming you know how to flavor the rolls - it's not good.
>>
>>85048103
>>85048103
The farther you go, the better for solo. OSR style gaming is very solo friendly since it's more about players doing the smart thing (you use the oracle instead of the GM) and loot. You don't have to fight as much, unless you want to or are very unlucky, and you're rewarded for smart thinking and planning. You can do stuff automatically just by saying you're doing them that more recent editions would require a feat or a skill to even attempt in the first place, like looking for traps. Aside from the low HP at first level, it's easier to survive as a solo PC in OSR.
At least that's my take on it. Maybe I just really like the older D&D editions and it's coloring my perceptions, idk...
>>
>>85050580
I agree, though with a caveat that imo C&D just isn’t very good for solo in general and OSR tends to be too simplistic for a satisfying solo experience for me. As much as I dislike how Ironsworn replaces the GM/oracle with a rigid, limited, not overly evocative or interesting prompt system in a lot of places, I feel it preserves the spirit of OSR to a large decree while also having the breadth of mechanical character options that OSR usually lacks. Too bad about the combat being the least satisfying thing I have experienced in a TTRPG.
>>
>>85051128
Combat in Ironsworn isn't that bad once you get the hang of it, but it's not my thing either. There's just something about progress tracks that irks me a little. They can be fine for Vows, but I don't like them for combat.
When I played Ironsworn, I would try to sneak attack or snipe people as much as possible just so I wouldn't have to use the combat rules.
Maybe it's a better combat system for people who like to write a lot of prose while playing?
>>
>>85051238
I feel the “battle” move was made for people who don’t like progress tracks combats.
>>
>>85051238
I have the hang of it, I played it quite a bit, and it’s fine for fighting groups or having an epic fedora duel, but it drags everything out when you’d expect it to go down quickly in the circumstances and your character is either stupidly ineffectual or you use the battle roll and wonder why you even rolled rather than hand waving it.
Even scene challenges are better for combat than the actual combat mechanic. Starforged just made it worse, too.
It’s not really the progress track for me, I just find it extremely poorly designed on the mathematical level. Ironsworn combat is fairly deadly unless you pad it out with spirit, supply etc. yet it just drags on and on and if you try to wrap it up before filling the track you’re running a significant risk of losing for no real reason.
>>
>>85021713
Who needs lotion to masturbate? How have we reached this point: where did we go so wrong?
>>
>>85051362
Spit and shake was enough for my dad and it's enough for me.
>>
>>85048103
check out scarlet heroes
>>
>>85051933
How easy is it to divorce the system from the setting?
>>
>>85051362
I use olive oil. The character.
>>
>>85051362
As a teen my parents went on vacation for a week-end. When they came back, I had to deal with scabs for the rest of the month.
>>
>>85042716
>100 pages
Impressive. I'm gonna take my time to read it. Do you have some form of generic oracle in there as well as tables?
>>
>>85052785
Yea, I started doing this after you guys inspired me to do it.
The rules should not require you to use an oracle, but I've added so much since I last playtested it, so I don't know if it's needed now. There's a subsection for interacting with NPCs, but beyond that, I don't think you'd need oracles, or I assume too much, I don't know.

It's still just my notes at this stage. Once I'm done writing rules, I'll compile and typeset it and post it here for you all.
>Currently writing "artefacts"

>The Lord’s Cradle: Carved as a pair of hands cupped in praying, this stone relic was used in the kingly human sacrifices of the heretical cults in the east. Sacrificed for the common good, after a certain period of ruling, the king’s fresh heart would then be placed in the artefact to be presented to the prime deity of the city state. Consisting of two separate parts (1 and 6 on a d6 roll), this artefact, once united can be used to press rightful claims on the throne a particular city state in the east, albeit for a limited (1d6 years) time, after which you are to be sacrificed.

>Chalice of Eternity: Stolen from the Gate of God temple, this long lost artefact is thought to bear the secrets to ever-lasting vitality. Now in three separate parts (4-5-6 in a d6 roll), this item, once repaired, doubles the effect of any potion drank within it.
>>
>>85027332
WinForms with C# right?
I've been learning ASP.NET with React and Typescript since I really enjoyed working with C# in Unity. I would like to make some desktop applications with C# but I primarily work with Debian over Windows. It doesn't seem like there's any good GUI frameworks or whatever for C# that are crossplatform. It's hard to tell since when I look online answers are sort of all over the place. I dunno if you or someone else might know a bit more about that. I think I saw something called Avalonia UI that might be useful. Xamarin as well but I believe that's just for crossplatform mobile applications and not desktop. Worst case I think I'll check out Electron since I haven't had a chance to use it yet and it seems to use tools I'm familiar with.
Overall I am I impressed with how much shit you crammed in there and I feel inspired to keep at it with my own stuff
>>
File: npctracker.png (700 KB, 1151x1065)
700 KB
700 KB PNG
>>85053749
>c#
Yep. I chose it because it has a simple GUI interface and I didn't want to spend much time on it, as can be seen.
Xamarin is (or was) solid for C# crossplatform from PC, Mac, iOS, and Android. I've done two projects a while back in it for clients.
I'd personally suggest Python or Java for cross platform solo-focused projects, since once you go cross-platform UI development gets not so simple anyway as you're accommodating various screen sizes.
>how much shit you crammed in there
Laziness and trying lots of stuff over 3 years. You can probably follow my solo journey of tools and systems. I did implement an NPC generator (leaned into generic rather than system specific) and tracker, too, as keeping those separate got annoying.
>>
welp, see you fags in a month
>>
is posting about solo wargames allowed on topic? I just picked up Five Parsecs, but been hearing a lot about stargrave's solo mode too
>>
>>85052733
>american problems
>>
>>85060003
yes, there are at least a couple of regulars here that play war games solo
>>
>>85060003
I'd like to hear about anyone running Five Parsecs
>>
>>85060100
Not american. Just was a horny teen is all.
>>
>>85058693
See you tomorrow. And by that I mean today.
>>
>>85052886
Generic oracles can be useful if you want to skip over some things that you don't want to play out in real time. Or if you don't have rules for something specific. But they are not really needed. Most older rpg that I know of handwaved these situations with a % roll or a d6 roll.
I'm loving that your game uses cards btw.
>>
>>85021765
I've been using these for some time. I posted the alphabet table before. I'm sure someone independently came up with something similar in the past, it's not that original, but it is helpful to me.
>>
>>85029786
>Game of thrones social combat base mechanics
The ones called Intrigue?
>>
Post your IRL stats. Be honest. I've been running a portal fantasy type campaign using this bracket and have miraculously survived the jungle when I was kicked out of an annoyed wizard's tower with no provisions, supplies, or adventuring skills outside of twelve years in the boy scouts so far. Caught a hemophillic parasite from dirty stream water but haven't suffered from it yet. My current goal is to reach a port-city and find a job as an unskilled labourer without falling into a slaver's hands.

>Str: 7 (-2)
Fat 5'8 with no muscle definition, I'm working on it but nowhere near a farmer's frame.
>Dex: 9 (-1)
I'm physically clumsy but I have some knack for sleight at hand so it balances out.
>Con: 14 (+1)
My pain tolerance is in the top 1% and I've got a powerful immune system, but again, fatass, and have a very specific allergy.
>Int: 14 (+1)
I have a hard time forgetting things and am very good at holding patterns in my head and thinking on the fly.
>Wis: 6 (-2)
I'm an autistic retard that's only gotten as far as I have through paranoia, I have less common sense than the average krokodil appreciator.
>Cha: 16 (+2)
My voice supposedly sounds like the guy from Slingblade, I've never seen the movie and can't verify that but almost everyone I run into is positively predisposed to me and I'm able to talk to people, individuals or crowds, without any anxiety or preparation.

I'm curious if any of you dudes have done anything similar.
>>
>>85062623
STR: 5
DEX: 16
CON: 7
INT: 18
WIS: 5
CHA: 3
>>
File: Spoiler Image (835 KB, 1625x2040)
835 KB
835 KB JPG
>>85062723
>>
File: Shadows House.png (734 KB, 683x610)
734 KB
734 KB PNG
>>85062723
>INT: 18
>>
>>85062794
I'm not as smart as people think I am, but I've been told all my life that I'm "supposed to be" a genius because of a fucking IQ test that fucking ruined my life.
>>
>>85062862
You are a free man living in a (presumably) free country. The test might have set some false expectations, but ruining your life is your own doing.
>>
>>85062623
>str: 13
6'0 186 lbs, played lots of sports growing up, jog daily and lift three times a week (not super heavy)
>dex: 15
very coordinated, did gymnastics as a child along with football, baseball, basketball, made all-star teams for all up until HS graduation
>con: 10
decent pain tolerance, had asmtha problems as a very young child, only been to ER since for breaking bones or skull fracture (4 times)
>int: 15 (maybe 16)
had iq diagnosed ~160 for gifted in kindegarten, always good with pattern recognition/problem solving
>wis: 7
I make a lot of bad decisions but my self-reflection has improved
>cha: 15
always good at making friends or being in a relationship, never had to chase a girl much, my wit is sharp and I've given multiple speeches to crowds for business and it goes over well
>>
>>85062891
The principal of our hs made my life so shit that I had to quit school. All because he had past experiences with "smart" people who didn't put any effort and he took it all out on me.
What came after was my own doing, of course, but that was the first nail in the coffin.
His fun was humiliating me in front of other people.
>>
>>85062623
str: 12
Got some decent muscles I guess
dex: 12
I am pretty okay at cornhole
con: 14
I got quite a bit of endurance
int: 12
I am rather clever I guess?
wis: 10
I got good intuition but bad common sense
cha: 10
Nobody really has any problems with me but I never stand out.
>>
>>85063353
Man, what a piece of shit. I'm sorry you went through that anon. Most of what we do in our lives is our own fault but other people have an impact, too, just look at any 300lb butterball. 9/10, their parents overfed and undernourished them. Shit's sad.
>>
>>85063454
I'm over it. Sort of. The only thing that bothers me about it now is that it was an adult doing this to a kid. I still don't understand that part. I see teenagers around and I would never do that to them, no matter how annoying I find them. There's still freakin' kids. With gangly limbs. But still...
>>
>>85063353
Sucks anon
I had the opposite experience, I was put into advanced courses by teachers (without asking me) because I never tried. I was more engaged and enjoyed it.
>>
>>85062623
Str: 8 - weak, but not remarkably.
Dex: 7 - stumble often enough that I'm good at correcting for it.
Con: 11 - okay I guess
Int: 18 - coasted through a maths degree
Wis: 5 - and dropped out of society
Cha: 3 - no friends, people used to forget I was there. Now I'm not.
I'm not playing this faggot unless you force me to the way real life did.
>>
>>85062623
I'm interested in knowing how many people play as themselves in games.
I can see it for horror games.
>>
>>85062623
STR 14 - ohp 80kg, dl 160kg, according to rules you can lift your max load over your head and double off the ground, 80kg is technically into 15, but only marginally
DEX 12
CON 16 - this is mostly for con saves, my cardio is garbage
INT 12
WIS 6
CHA 9
>>
>>85063529
Some people are just wired different and lots of spiteful people gravitate to places where they can access kids. I remember when I was in elementary school, because I was visibly a deadringer for the drunk driver that killed my teacher's daughter, she did everything in her power to make my life a living hell and she succeeded. I eventually poisoned her with some stolen laxatives and it caused enough of a stir that some higher-ups looked into it and I was transferred, but for a straight two years, there was something new every day. I only learned the reason years after the fact and I don't know if it was evil or just spite but I still haven't forgiven her. The past is in the past, I've gotten over it but it still stings, you know. Nothing I hate more than grown adults fucking with kids, I fucking hate it.
>>
>>85063652
>lift over head
actually hang on, if a snap city c&j counts, I’m easily 15
also, post your str
>>
File: STR23.jpg (258 KB, 1437x1770)
258 KB
258 KB JPG
>>85063847
>mfw 23 strength
This guy is literally stronger than a hill giant
>>
>>85063633
I tried once, but it ended up a parody of some other character. People are a product of their environment, and it’s hard to translate that into fantasy.
>>
I know we’ve had this discussion before, but is there a way to do a solo isekai (fuck off yankeefag) and have it be fun?
>>
>>85063633
>I can see it for horror games
A PC based on me would be the first to die, my risk tolerance is high with too much risk seeking behavior
>>
>>85064128
are you a black guy or a slut? asking for a friend
>>
>>85064285
prolly neither
>>
>>85064121
>isekai
How different would it be compared to regular fantasy? I guess the answer to your question would depend on this.
>>
>>85064076
Agree with >>85065072, your setting is likely the most important part

>>85064285
I have some bad news for your friend
>>
>>85062623
>STR: 12
I lift at the gym and train my strength because I want to better myself

>Dex: 11
Im really agile sometimes but clumsy others, it balances out

>Con: 15
I can take a hell of a beating and get back up, and I run for fun.

>Int: 16
Im smart and often told so by people

>Wis: 8
I act, then I think, all too often.

>Cha: 8
My looks are not the worst, but im shit in social situations.

All this is assuming the base human is 10-11 in all stats
>>
>these wisdom scores
if this thread was isekai'd together we'd all end up a murder hobo party that burned down the first inn we visited on accident with no cleric to heal us
>>
>>85062623
Luck: 5%
skill: 15%
Will (concentrated): 100%
pleasure: 5%
pain: 50%
name memorability: 100%
>>
>>85051128
> I feel it preserves the spirit of OSR to a large decree
eh, i disagree almost entirely. Ironsworn is its own thing and its very much NOT like OSR in any concievable way. especially in spirit. Its explicitly narritive in character and about manipulating the meta currency of momentum. its osr in as far as Shadow if the deamon lord is osr or ruinequest or something. In that its generally fantasy I guess?

In fact even in spirit of the law ironsworn is more accommodating for heroic fantasy or a western with its focus on vows and stuff.

IDK what the obsession of calling everything osr is especially when it doesnt serve to enhance the particularity of something.gvvxg
>>
I wanna run a team of supers like Justice League or Teen Titans, which system would give me the least headache?
>>
>>85068113
I wasn’t calling it osr, I said it preserves the spirit of osr in that it’s about solving problems intelligently while the very simple and basic mechanics serve to resolve such attempts at the GM’s discretion, as opposed to being a predetermined simulationist framework
delving is also something clearly borne of old school dungeon crawling and while it is mechanically completely different, it’s a streamlined and reimagined approach to ideas that are fairly foreign to new rpgs
>>
>>85068398
I'd reccomend taking a gander at Mutant Future.
>>
>>85048177
Make one yourself, or link it.
>>
>>85068398
Prowlers and Paragons Ultimate Edition
It's a rules light game with d6 dice pools and has a power-building system. The resolution is narrative-control based by default, but there's an alternate method that's similar to Ironsworn's strong hit/weak hit.
>>
You guys should come over to /cyoag/
You could make solo campaigns and see what other people make of it
>>
>>85052333
really easy
use the system to run the game/creating character but use spells from D&D
>>
>>85066529
>implying a deity remotely adjacent to healing would want anything to do with us even if we had someone with minimum WIS
>>
Mythic is cool but do any of you guys also do any mind fragmenting?
>>
>>85071851
>mind fragmenting
explain
>>
File: 1616203978038.jpg (106 KB, 680x838)
106 KB
106 KB JPG
>>85062623
I'm not familiar with DnD specifically (only played a total of 2 sessions and both were hacks), so I don't know how to answer this.
>>
>>85068398
Just rewatch the D&D episode of Teen Titan Go.
Then do the opposite.
>>
>>85068398
The old TSR Marvel rpg is fun, easy to learn and fast to play. Even though it has a chart that you need to look up for rolls, it's pretty intuitive.
There's a retroclone of it too.
And it has good fan support still.
https://www.classicmarvelforever.com/cms/
Characters are easy to manage, so you can have more than a lone PC.
>>
>>85042442
thanks for the response.

yah those seem like legit concerns. but a few things: b1 and b2 are pretty modular, given their beginner nature to help gms and plays. you can redesign the caves of chaos decently easy. and 2, i want to largely just reorient 80% of the content already there to better be enjoyed by a player and only adding like 10% of anything new. and thats largely a formating problem
>>
>>85072660
>he doesn’t mind fragment
wait, so how do you even play, just roll dice by yourself?
>>
>>85074079
If you just want to play right away, the old Fighting Fantasy rpg adventures are worth looking at (not talking about the gamebooks here).
They're basic dungeon delves split into entries/rooms, so it's easy to play through them without spoiling yourself.
I'm playing through The Wishing Well right now because your earlier post inspired me.
It's easy to convert the stats to another rpg.
There's also 5 Room Dungeon. There a pdf of the first 18 volumes of it out there.
>>
>>85074171
what is a mind fragment? Is like mind-mapping? I roll dice, draw cards, and I document the results and write the story.
>>
>>85074264
wow
just wow
>>
>>85074302
would love to learn what a mind fragment is any time you wanna share!
>>
>>85074302
>>85074302
>>
>>85073962
>tsr marvel rpg
This shit is awesome, I used to collect cards that had these statlines when I was young. Would do my own little fights when I was bored using a d6, figures and legos.
>>
>>85074604
err... that's not the same rpg. I think you're talking about the one that came just after. It was cool, and the cards could be used as a 50/50 oracle according to the rules.
I was talking FASERIP, the one with the cards was SAGA.
I have very limited experience with SAGA. The cards might make it easy to solo, but I can't remember what the actual rules were like.
>>
>>85074659
The cards were collectible Marvel cards, not RPG, as far I know.
>>
File: msh1.gif (23 KB, 722x2106)
23 KB
23 KB GIF
>>85074604
>>85074659
FASERIP also had about a dozen gamebooks with an ultralite version of the same rpg engine.
>>
File: mshsagabonus.jpg (133 KB, 600x438)
133 KB
133 KB JPG
>>85074684
Oh, okay, I got confused because there was a Marvel rpg using cards. Not a card game, an actual rpg using special cards.
>>
File: stats_deadpool.png (26 KB, 186x546)
26 KB
26 KB PNG
>>85074715
Yea, these were Marvel cards that had the exact same stat layout on the back.
>>
>>85021713
I highjacked world of dungeon’s pdf to use my own system. Its no longer PbtA, but a traveller like 2d6 get above target number. And I only use the 4 stats of str dex int and wis like normal. Con acts as HP and Cha act as moral and saving throw base (cha + relivent atribute).

Has anyone else Highjacked a sheet for there own use?
>>
>>85075116
I don't think I've ever played a game as intended. I always hack them, create home rules, etc.
The usual way is like you did, taking something from another system that I feel works better, or that I'm more familiar with.
I'm not really into target numbers, so I usually use -/+ and roll equal or bellow a stat/skill.
I really like the CON/CHA as HP/Morale. Makes a lot of sense to me.
>>
Anyone else starts playing with an empty character sheet and fills it up as you play and discover more about the PC?
>>
>>85062623
You're now an npc in my game, godspeed anon
>>
>>85075259
> I really like the CON/CHA as HP/Morale. Makes a lot of sense to me.
I know right? I feel like they usually feel boring or redundent. A strong character almost always has high con and its usually just for upping hp and maybe a saving throw. ANd Cha plain is usually either just not used, or its used in a route way as an artificial persuasion boost/just wisdom in disguise. And the worst thing is, in ultra light systems they usually reduce atributes to str dex and Int. when I think having 2 physical stats and 2 mental stats is just more balanced and actually parrelels to the classic 4 classes of fighter, theif, magic user, and cleric.
> I'm not really into target numbers, so I usually use -/+ and roll equal or bellow a stat/skill.
I can understand that and I have flip flopped between. THe thing with target numbers is that they are static from characters, so multiple creatures can attempt to adress the same tn.
>>
>>85072660
I meditate for half an hour and "split" if that's the correct word for it, my consciousness into two loose halves where the information accessible to one isn't neccessarily to the other, and then whichever is more cohesive I use to GM while the other, usually sporadic, I have hyperfixate on the story as an "anchor" to keep it from remerging and respond as needed to its prompts while immersing itself, and by proxy, myself. It took me a few months to get it down but I can do it fairly consistently and mostly casually now. Do you guys do anything like that?
>>
File: index.jpg (9 KB, 230x219)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
>>85076467
I get what you're saying, but you make it sound like this super special thing. It's pretty basic and you don't really need to meditate, unless you're very autistic about doing it "right."
When I can't get into that headspace, I just use the oracle to ask if my PC acts a certain way.
>>
>>85075960
yes, I love doing this!
>>
>>85076467
bro I just suspend my disbelief and acknowledge, as a player, that I have knowledge my character does not have. Can you not do this without a ritual?
>>
File: fisted.gif (644 KB, 336x318)
644 KB
644 KB GIF
Are we allowed to discuss the creation of an erotic solo game here?
I'd like to have someone to spitball ideas with.
>>
>>85077180
yes
the making of anything related to solo is encouraged
>>
File: appearance.png (890 KB, 702x1308)
890 KB
890 KB PNG
>>85077194
Good.
These posts got me thinking about how the thread lacks any sort of erotic body part table. Even a basic one for humans would be a decent starting point for people to use as a springboard.
>>85048163
>>85048177
The system I've been using since high school (Basic Roleplaying) has an alright list of potential traits, but I'm sure their are better systems to lift things from.
>>
>>85077180
there is an entire general that is far more active for lewd games, they have 3-4 games being developed there
though honestly they’re pretty shit imo

what’ve you got?
>>
>>85077180
>>85077194
>>85077313
I mean, I guess?

but it seems more immediately pertinent to the literal lewd thread, which is in large part also about solo rpgs, so it seems more topical, and you will have more fruitful discussions there since thats what they talk about.

Just in terms of thread distinctiveness, I think its better to take it to the other thread. if thats the main topic you want to discuss. If its in passing its fine.
>>
>>85077639
Nah, we've always encouraged all forms of solo discussions - especially making something. If they want to talk about it here that's fine.
>>
>>85077313
That distinctive characteristic function with the median getting fewer is interesting. Are there any current separated lists of negative features and positive?
>>
>>85078161
yes but im saying if the main point is lewd, it follows to discuss it in the lewd thread.

if its particularly about lewd as it applies to solo I guess (like how to rng characteristics), but otherwise it just seems oddly inapplicable.
>>
>>85082358
I'm fine with taking my stuff to the lewd general, and maybe stopping by here to share anything that might at least interest people here.
>>
>>85082358
shut the fuck up nigger, if it’s a solo game, it fits here
>>
>>85083450
Thats literally what I said.
>if its particularly about lewd as it applies to solo I guess (like how to rng characteristics)
>>85083214
Yah, thats usually how it goes. Lewd general basically becomes a pseudo-solo general too when someone hasnt bothered putting up a new /srpgg/ yet.
>>
>>85077180
We have a lewd general for that shit. Go there and stay there.
>>
>>85060651
good to know, didn't want to come in here and just shit up a general but this seems to be the best place to discuss is

>>85060939
have you tried it? maybe it's a bit of a weird place to start solo rpgs, but the system seemed just dialed in enough to be mechanically enjoyable, and there's lots of things encouraging building a narrative story alongside that.

one question I have about solo gaming is: how much narrative writing/logging do you recommend when doing your first campaign?
>>
>>85086079
I tend to play a couple of quick test games to get the rules.
After that I make a quick note describing the turn plus anything that seemed dramatic. "Everyone shoots the robots, far left goes down. Robots charge and knock Dave down." I want a record of it, but I'm there to play a game not write a novel.
I mostly liked 5PFH but the skirmish part is a bit lacking in crunch for me. I tried some other systems but ended up getting distracted writing (and re-writing) my own.
>>
Its probably been asked infinite times before, but I'll go with it anyway. I'm familiar with 5e (and pf1e somewhat) but have been interested in learning Pathfinder 2e . Which of the three would be better for a solo RPG and what are the pros and cons of each for solos specifically of there isn't a clear answer?
>>
>>85087018
assuming you understand how to play solo, the one you’re most familiar with
otherwise start with ironsworn
>>
File: High_Crusade.pdf (558 KB, PDF)
558 KB
558 KB PDF
>tfw I'm gonna play all the B-Movie settings as an actor over their career
I've only used ICFTLLLS for one shots a few times, but I'm really getting into the whole playing an actor thing now for some reason.
Isekai and sliders/Rifts-type stories aren't really my bag, but I can work with a little meta gaming.
>>
>>85087821
this is based
>rifts
Whenever my current campaign ends I've been hankering for a Rifts style game. I've got a fan made setting book that is like 1,000 pages but there is no way I'm running the original system solo.
>>
>>85087018
Any game can be used for solo, but the better you know it, the better results.
So use a game you know really well. It's the one that's the most solo-friendly.
A few tips:
A single PC at first is okay, but don't forget to give them some allies.
Playing published adventures is harder than making one as you play.
Try to use your rpg as much as possible. Some solo engines overlap with some rpg rules. If you're new to solo, try to default to your well-known rpg as much as possible. Use your rpg random tables, Morale rules, Reaction checks, etc.
Watch a vid, read a solo session report, or listen to an audio actual play. That should give you a better idea on how to proceed than any how to guide.
But remember that solo can be played in many different ways, it's just that as a beginner it's easier to follow the beaten path.
Here's a good and popular little solo engine. But you can go even lighter or more complex. It mostly depend son how much you know your rpg. Trying to learn 2 complex systems at once isn't a good idea.
>>
>>85087834
There's an ultralite version of the Palladium system out there. Let me look it up.
Man, I can't find it. It was something like Palladium Silver or something. 2 pages.
I guess you could use TMNT as the core rules instead of the Rifts ones. It's basically Palladium lite. But it doesn't have Mecha rules and things like that.
>>
>>85087920
Damn, I forgot to post the solo engine. My bad.
It's already been posted here:
>>85034397
So have an even more basic earlier version instead.
>>
>>85087975
Found it, thanks anon
>>
>>85088033
That's it. no wonder I couldn't find it, it's platinum and 5 pages. Not sure how playable this is though, I never ran it, I just stumbled onto it a few years ago.
My play experience with Palladium is limited to victim characters from Beyond the Supernatural and a few TMNT sessions with friends when we were like 14.
>>
>>85077180
>I'd like to have someone to spitball ideas with.
Give me your ideas and call me the snowball queen, I guess.
>>
>>85089023
If I did a solo “erotic” game it would be more about romance rather than boob sizes. More like fog of love, although porting that to solo would require a lot of tweaking (it’s one of those games that thrives off hidden roles)
>>
>>85089469
You could use something like Annalise and make it more explicitly lewd.
I'm thinking any rpg with some semi-complex social mechanic could be easily turned into romance/lewd.
The seduction mechanics from James Bond are pretty good. That could be a nice starting pojnt,
>>
>>85089469
that's a good idea
>>
>>85088280
>how playable it is
I read it when I had 10 minutes, it's playable solo and lets you pull the exact stats from the other rift books
Just a d20 for combat rolls and d100 for other rolls + damage dice
>>
>>85086269
yeah the skirmish game itself does seem a bit light, but I'm thinking that I'll write some house rules for more exciting equipment and mini-bosses/boss fight style battles, with a 'mind backup/recovery' mechanic for crew so fights can be more punishing without as much of a risk of wiping completely. I'll feel it out as I go, and report back

if you have any insights about particulars of running the game I'd love to hear them, at least general things like setting up battle terrain and parts of the non-battle interaction loop that are easy to get wrong (maybe not about what sort of equipment is optimal or battle strategy, which is stuff I'd like to discover myself)
>>
>>85089469
as long as you can make her love you through rape, I’m interested
>>
>>85087920
Thank you for the tips.I will probably start with 5e to get the hang of the solo side of things and probably convert what I'm doing once I get the hang of it.

I know you said pre written modules are harder to do solo but I am interested in running one (want to see it's story and how it plays). Any tips for converting modules to solo?
>>
>>85090617
>insights about particulars of running the game
Don't worry about it. A skirmish might only take ten minutes to play out once you're familiar with the game, so dicking around trying to get the terrain "right" just seems silly. Just do whatever seems fun, like deciding where you're fighting and building that with your terrain.
Main thing I'd do to make fights harder is to add reinforcements, so there's more incentive to complete objectives other than shooting dudes. I think the expansion has mechanics for that, but it's not hard to think of a way to bring extra enemies on. And possibly limit your training bonuses so your dudes don't become too strong.
Oh, and you'll need a few bookmarks for whatever little things you keep forgetting. Like the enemy movement guidelines on p42. None of it is hard, there's just a lot of bits to juggle.
>>
>>85027348
Please do it.
>>
>>85026780
Get with the times, grampa.
>>
>>85092214
I play away from a computer because it's one of my few breaks from the damn things.
>>
>>85021713
something I have been experimenting with, kinda similar to mythics chaos factor, is a “chance of external complication” role. To simulate a living proactive world. I have 3 potentials:
>situational
>patronizing
>antagonizing
which I think really help set a scene before rolling on an action/subject table. as it described the immediate nature of something as it applies to my characters goals. Which has helped me to interpreat what an action/subject means in context.

the nature of the setting determines the relative likelihood of each. in a dungeon like setting or otherwise a place of passive danger situational is most likely, antagonistic second most likely and patronizing third most likely. In a town or place of relitive friendlyness, antagonizing and patronizing are switched. I role a 2d6 when doing a major action and a result of 2 or 12 is the least likely thing to occure (1/18 chance), 3 or 11 the middle likely thing (1/9), and 4 or 10 the most likely (1/6). Other results mean no new variable has entered the scene. The range of the results can vary with how hectic you want it, but I find that unnecessary. having the role applies some pressure to do shit before some added variable comes up.
>>
>>85093421
I do stuff like this with 2d6 but I don't make a formal table for it.
I also like using Motifs from Calypso, or idioms when dealing with creatures/human related things or situations to tag them with something extra to help set a thing/person/activity/situation.
>>
>>85094090
I think a tag system would work very well for solo.
The thing with how I do it is that I feel like the world is living If I have to check for "external variables" over a set amount of actions. Like, have you ever been in a multi person ttrpg game and the party just takes excessive amount of "planning" time to do something and it kinda gets you "out of it" since you are almost playing in a meta "to win" sort of flow rather than a balance of smart play and expedient, in character action? IDK I just feel without a counter for external shit, you dont have the accountability of other players to "get things going"
>>
>>85068398
savage worlds or ICRPG
>>
Any recommendations for a basic ruleset/system to jump in? Last thing I played was 5e pre-pandemic and rereading the phb as a refresher isn't that attractive of an option right now desu. Plus I'd like to get back into rpgs by seeing what's out there anyway.
>>
>>85093421
Having the table area-based is interesting. I do a similar thing with picrel, either adding an obstacle (or taking something away), drawing attention to something (cresting a Detail, used as callbacks and setups), or activating a background clock (i use threats, but they can really be any world event)
>>
>>85097653
*creating a detail

>>85095209
Absolutely this, clocks/counters/timers are really important. Like gygax said, you cannot have a meaningful campaign without strict time records.
>>
>>85064121
You might be interested in GURPS and its supplement for portal fantasy.
>>
>>85095209
>The thing with how I do it is that I feel like the world is living If I have to check for "external variables" over a set amount of actions
I do something similar
>>
>>85097653
I like this as a simple external prompt mechanism
>>
>>85097842
2/10 chin too pointy
>>
File: 1388626263545.pdf (93 KB, PDF)
93 KB
93 KB PDF
>>85091903
Use the maps and NPCs to tell a similar, or even different, story.
Or read it in full, make a list of the different plot threads and plot points, locations, NPCs, etc. Use your oracle to determine as you play if they happen like in the module or differently depending on your PC's actions or sheer luck. If an item is supposed to be at some location, maybe ask the oracle if it is or not. If a location doesn't have anything in it, maybe ask if it does (items, NPCs, etc.)
But it may be better to just use the NPCs motivations instead of the plot points themselves. It makes the story more reactive instead of a railroad. It's also easier to figure out what happens given what you know of the module.
Dungeon/Hex crawls would be the easiest to play solo. You don't really have to bother with much. There is usually no complex plot to keep tabs on.
My personal take on published modules is that I play them as a GM and use my PCs as I would NPCs. The solo tools are used to figure out how the PC act and react to the adventure I'm putting them through. But that's not 'classic vanilla' soloplay. Probably easier to play that way when you're a forever GM like me.
There's a few tools that separate the GM and PC sides. They can be helpful as templates of sorts to play published modules.
This one for example. It's not meant for modules, but you can make it work. You read the module and try to fit the events into the frame. To keep some randomness, you can make a short list for every step of what type of event that can happen.
Playing a published module as the player only is hard. There's always going to be a lot more GMing than in other types of soloplay.
>>
>>85097653
I like it, but one thing im not so into is that its scene based. Just for me, that makes things feel a bit to formulaic, like its in the “setting up” process, rather than potentially happening when you start to do something in a scene. Almost like those external things politiely wait for you to go to a new location before acting out. But I guess thats more of a framing concern on my end. However, I think background clocks are a good idea.

I havent tried it yet, but I want to mix the “situation, patronize, antagonize” thing with a simplified generator. role for above than d6 for life, fire, water, earth, air, death. Between the nature of something and the conotations given by a basic element, I think I can make a lot with very little. of course for more specific thinkgs I think I will still use the basic action/subject table, but just for general expediency.
>On pirate ship, trying to escape
>role situational, fire
powder kegs exploded, is a distraction, but also makes things more hektic
>In court, want info about a baron
> Patronizing, water
a court noble seems easy going, will tell me something for a simple entertaining conversation.
>>85097681
Yah, I think solo has really made me apreciate the older importance placed on time consiousness and timers. Bit of headtheory here, But maybe the “mileaux” style multi group longform campaigns of games of yore really made the timer thing more immediately apreciable. As things actually WERE happening behind the scenes. Another party was doing something else, A character takes days to recover health, and gametime often moved outside of game sessions. Because IDK about you, but nowadays, a lot of game sessions with other people are more loosely one shot in nature due to changing groups, more lax play, and otherwise less long form consequences being pertinent. Not that the latter is bad, just that time is less of a factor in more indivigualized sessions.
>>
>>85099808
>its scene based, rather than potentially happening when you start to do something in a scene
That’s kind of by design, as it often breaks my flow to have stuff pop up or get taken away randomly (as opposed to after a “timeskip”, where it has opportunity to fit without interruption). But if you’re comfy with that it can be pretty easily inserted into, say, the game’s resolution mechanic.
>>
>>85097507
I would suggest ICRPG or EZD6

If you want something really simple Dungeon Reavers
>>
>>85097507
Generic or genre specific?
Anything special you would like? Like only using d6, for example.
Lite, medium or crunchy?
Lots of supplements and adventures or is a core game with few of those enough?
If you still want that d20 feel, maybe using microlite20 or Searchers of the Unknown might be a good idea.
>>
File: adhd1.jpg (63 KB, 225x225)
63 KB
63 KB JPG
>tfw switching solo engines and rpgs multiple times during play
I'm not even sorry. This is fun. And ADHD. I don't care.
>>
>>85101133
Good on yeh. Still probably less chaotic than designing a system from the ground up, whilst playing.
>>
>>85101133
mix and match, they're like legos bro
>>
>>85098795
God damn it, anon, I can't unsee it now.
>>
I’m slowly reading through the genesys core book, and it seems really good for solo
it’s like non-autistic gurps
seems like a pretty big investment if you want real dice, though
>>
>>85103202
Real dice are hard to come by right now twofold: recent change in ownership of the Genesys property, as well as supply chain hindrances in Europe where the materials are produced

the official dice roller app is free, FWIW

I've been playing a solo adventure using a Genesys oracle I adapted from >>85034397 above. Once you get the ball rolling, you rarely have to consult an Oracle thanks to the multifaceted results the dice bring to the ongoing narrative!
>>
>>85103416
wait
Genesys is not FFG anymore?
Thats good new then
>>
>>85103416
yeah, I literally can’t find a pack anywhere near me
the app is kinda shit and doesn’t even support screen sharing on an ipad, I’m using the one here https://7pixels.fr/
it’s free and includes the dice among a bunch of others

also, I’d appreciate it if you could post any solo resources using the dice,
I’m thinking of adapting stuff to the system with adv, triumph etc, but I have to take a look at the probability, it’d be nice to have a basis to start with
>>
>>85103491
Not anon but these are some random table types using them
>>
File: 148814881488.jpg (480 KB, 1400x1600)
480 KB
480 KB JPG
So I've been playing with B/X (a few homerules) and a very simple system ( >>85021765 )
I've seen plenty of people talk about using pretty complicated systems, be it for your RPG or your Oracle/GM, what do you get out of it ? I'm wrapping up session 8 right now and I'm trying really hard to find more stuff to add to my game engine or rules, but I can't think of something that doesn't feel a bit forced.
If you're using a more complicated system, why do you enjoy it ?
>>
>>85103979
complicated or complex?
I use some pretty complex table matrixes like steelforged or augmented reality on perchance, but on the user end they boil down to pushing a button and getting a string of words
more complexity = more variance
>>
>>85103979
>If you're using a more complicated system, why do you enjoy it ?
Like anon said, I like to use complicated tables for more variance or contextual results.
I turn to software to make it easy to use.
>>
>>85103979
More complicated systems take agency away from you as the GM/Player and put it more in the hands of the mechanics.

This sounds bad upfront but solo play can very much suffer from giving you too much agency so you never feel surprised or challenged.

Personally I strongly value the idea of wanting my plans to be smart because they're genuinely smart and show a good understanding of the situation and mechanics involved, as opposed to how a lighter system has you arbitrarily self-grade your success rate when you assign a likelihood, or have RNG weigh too heavily on whether your plan was retroactively good.
>>
>>85100197
Thanks, I'll give these a look.
>>85100223
No real preference, I'm happy with most settings/genres. Got a bunch of dice so D6-only isn't necessary either. I'm leaning towards lite-medium mostly since I just want something as a stepping stone to get started, but if there's anything you'd highly recommend that's crunchy I'm not opposed to it. Some amount of supplements/premade adventures would be a nice extra.
I know this is vague as hell but I've been looking through the share thread for rpgs and now I've got too many options and don't know where to start lol.
>>
>>85107704
My only recommendation is to pick something you know when you're learning to solo, as some other anon said
Also, over time I've gravitated to simpler systems rather than ones with a lot of book-keeping, so I can eyeball NPCs fast when needed or keep track of characters without lots of time
Stuff with simple resolutions and modifiers
>>
>>85107690
>but solo play can very much suffer from giving you too much agency so you never feel surprised or challenged.
My experience has been the opposite. I always have to stop myself from making the encounters too hard or from making the story go in directions I had no idea it could go in the first place.
I need some structure or frame to stop myself from going all over the place.
>>
>>85101133
How do you handle converting characters to different systems? This would sound all well and good if it wasn't for that tedium.
>>
How do you start your campaigns?
I typically just make a character and throw them into the fray based on their backstory, then forge the world and story as I go to suit.
Thus, I've realized that I've never started with a premise e.g. "commanding a squad of holy knights desperately defending against heretic invaders" and built a character around it.
>>
>>85112113
It's not that hard. It's more time consuming than anything else, but I do it between sessions.
>>
>>85103979
i kinda agree with >>85107690
with a caviate. I do t think its necissarily a problem with agency (which is a part of it) but with prompting/reminding. It doesnt have to be super crunchy stuff, but having things to remind you of potential options really helps in solo. like, the very act of putting in a moral stat, even if you dont use it for your character, actually makes you think about moral and how that can be a factor in a situation.

kind of like in talking, its easier for many people to have someone they can bounce off of. or if there is more then one mechanical way to attack with a weapon, you think more about how you attqck with a weapon rather than just rolling to attack. Or having a timer making you more weary of what will be more or less expedient. It can help facilitate seeing the forest for the trees, that you might otherwise ignore if you only have 4 stats and things are really abstract. not seeing the forest for the trees.
like the saying “necessity is the mother of invention” I find there is a balance between complexity and simplicity especially for solo. too simple and you kind of loose track of the minutia that makes up the excitement of the experience, abd too complex makes that minutia a roadblock for the experience as a whole. Where that line falls is different in different situations.

Iften times I have a hard time finding published systems that get to the golden ratio that I generally desire for solo so I make my own.
>>
File: Rules-rearranged.pdf (912 KB, PDF)
912 KB
912 KB PDF
added shop descriptions which laid the foundation for a trading expansion which I will probably never get to start, even.
But I am just happy it is there.
>>
>>85112489
I really, really want to play this, but I already have 3 games going right now. Plus one with payers.
I will get to it one day, but probably not until the end of the month (not this one, the next one).
Unless real life gets in the way...
>>
>>85112802
No rush, anon, take your time, I'll playtest it with the updated rules this summer, and will probably publish it along with an adventure, a dungeon, and a smaller scale adventure.
>>
>>85112191
Several ways:
Pick generic setting, make a character with no define goals and start by choosing a location and rolling for what is happening.
Pick a more complex setting and start to play with a blank character.
Play as the GM. Roll for random PCs and how they get involved.
Play as the big bad. Randomly roll for minions and lackeys. This one is more complex as I shift between the main bad guys and his people. But the main can only gain knowledge of his people if they survive or if he uses magic/tech to spy on what is happening. I haven't done this often, it very hard on my poor little brain.
Begin in media res with a more involved story. PCs are already part of the action. I try to determine relationships and motivations (not goals) when I do this. The goals are usually self-evident. This is my favorite style of play and the most fun. The 'boring' stuff is all in the backstory. I can play out some flashbacks if feel the need to.
It makes for shorter stories with a more focused plot.
>>
>>85112819
Cool. It looks really good so far.
>>
>>85103491

If you're interested in screensharing, or having a virtual space where you can see the same results as your friends, I recommend looking to RPG Sessions - its an app built specifically to support Genesys in a virtual tabletop. It integrates with Discord, too, if that's your speed.

As for my solo resource, it's a work in progress but this is where I'm drafting it. So far, so very good! I've been playing a fun little story with a totally-not-Indiana-Jones character.

https://www.notion.so/genesys-toolbox/NDS-Oracle-b5a381f8780743f797156f025b8c267d

>>85103974
These are very helpful, thank you for sharing!!
>>
>>85112489
>keep meaning to read this
>anon keeps adding to it
Stupid negative reading speed.

I'm trying to make a simple dungeon generator inspired by Four Against the Darkness and Advanced Heroquest. Guess I'll share it when it's working well enough, but there's not much to it and I suck at layout.
>>
>>85099315
Yeah, the "treat them as NPCs" approach was how I was thinking of doing it. Figure out personalities and motivations and simulate how they would go about following the story.I'll try it and see how it goes.
>>
>>85021713
If I wanted to use Mythic GME to run something more centered around nations-building, political intrigue, is there a good way to set this up without a ton of bookkeeping, or should I just wing it?
>>
So a few weeks ago I asked for a system for a political and fighting system for a Samurai/gladiator game. A few suggestions were given but I didn't particularly like any of them. So I made one myself based on the Spartacus board game and use the other systems for stuff that happens. So here's the TL;DR.

Three stats. You roll d12s equal to that stat. POW, SPD, END. SPD is your initiative and your ranges weapon attack. POW is your melee weapon. END is your defense. Compare highest number to highest. If the attack is higher it hits, if the END is higher or equal it doesn't.
There's also a Influence stat ranging from 1 (no influence) to 12 (emperor). When resolving a political intrigue you roll a d12+Intrigue VS theirs.

For gladiator you'll probably have multiple characters as fighters (gladiators) and one Dominus. For Samurai you can have one, since the Samurai heald political power.
Thoughts? I also haven't decide on gladiator types and samurai schools, so it's not 100% finished.
>>
>>85115865
It's possible yes.
>without a ton of bookkeeping
No.
>>
>>85115988
Sadge
>>
>>85115865
I know that worlds without number has a world faction progression system, but idk if tgey have a sheet for it. I think ACKs might have a faction sheet in it though.
>>
>>85115865
>>85116033
Adam “Literally Rape All Women” Koebel’s last project was simulating factions in SWN iirc, so you can take a look at that to see how it works
>>
>>85115957
>SPD
>ranged weapon attack
stopped reading there, shit system
>>
>>85116999
>Adam “Literally Rape All Women” Koebel
What?
>>
>>85117144
He means Adam “force fist the feminist” Koebel
>>
>>85117380
No idea what the fuck you guys are talking about.
>>
>>85117415
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLAmPx8nWedFVzdfAh_37JL3iBm0jgK9Uc
check the various faction turn vids
>>
>>85116999
>>85117380
>Literally Rape All Women
>force fist the feminist
Based as fuck.
>>
>>85117415
some semi popular “influencer” who made a Powered by the Apocalypse game and was in that 5e big shot community, kinda looks like a san francisco starbucks threw up on a man. He has the obnoxiously progressive attitude you would expect from the type. think he got me tooed for sexual harassment or something. didnt look into. Liked some ideas from his system. but it was a bit try hard.
>>
>>85092113
thanks anon, appreciate the reply and the helpful insights.

I've got a digital copy of the expansion that has a bunch of real nice rules for reinforcements and tougher encounters in general. I'm certainly going to use reinforcements, and probably some of the other difficulty options as well - the time pressure ones seem particularly interesting to force you to interact with objectives and have to make hard choices.

maybe it's a square peg round hole kind of thing, but at least for now I'm committed to building on the mission scenarios- maybe another table that relates to how you end scenarios, like having to make your way back to your shuttle to conclude an engagement, or having the potential for multiple objectives. It also seems like there is a lot of good room for combat abilities (both for enemies and the crew) that make things a bit more spicy. At the very least, looking forward to designing some challenging narrative battles, will post about it all as I get to it
>>
>>85119348
>some semi popular “influencer” who made a Powered by the Apocalypse game and was in that 5e big shot community, kinda looks like a san francisco starbucks threw up on a man. He has the obnoxiously progressive attitude you would expect from the type.
Yeah I've looked into it and I'm not surprised a progressive like him wound up being the thing he accused everyone else of being.
>>
>>85121688
Not very on topic so we shouldn't make this the focus of discussion though.
>>
File: acksdomain.pdf (2.17 MB, PDF)
2.17 MB
2.17 MB PDF
>>85115865
>>85116033
found the ACKS sheet. though it seems to be more localized domain.
>>85116999
Sure you're not misremembering? since world without numbers at least has a fully fledged faction simulation system. IDK if that was brought over from Stars without number or if it was new in worlds without number, but if its the latter I would think its pretty easy to drag and drop mostly into SWN. Unless it was befre wwn was published.
>>
File: wwnfactionintro.pdf (5.82 MB, PDF)
5.82 MB
5.82 MB PDF
>>85122555
and here is some (not all) of the faction stuff in wwn.
>>
>>85119348
>>85121688
the joke is that he got cancelled for “literally raping a woman’s character” because he described her male robot experiencing a firmware upgrade as an orgasm and the mechanic doing it was creepy and “literally penetrated him” because he plugged a jack into a slot on the back of the robot’s head
all this after the robot was asked if he wanted to do it and he said, word for word “I am open to new experiences”
it was turbo cringe and he had it coming for turning the scene into a sjw breeding hive, but he was always cringe and the incident literally only happened because his cult went out of control
also, he made dungeon world, which was THE PBTA game, GM’d Rollplay for like a decade, which was probably the biggest rpg thing after CR, and he kicked neil and based steven from the channel and took all the contract money

>>85122555
no clue, but you can check the vids here >>85117533
I know the game is played with swn, not sure about the factions
>>
File: 1 - Land.pdf (827 KB, PDF)
827 KB
827 KB PDF
I'm posting this here separately if you need to create a hex map for your game.
>you can use a d12 instead of the cards in this part of the rules.

>>85112802
>>85114147

I know, the tables look funny. I need a better typeset editor. I did it with LibreOffice.
>>
>>85112191
>how do you start your campaigns
I look for a strong character or premise, then go from there. I have also used existing worlds as material to start from - Birthright, Pendragon, Elder Scrolls, Faerun, too.

>>85112997
>Play as the big bad. Randomly roll for minions and lackeys. This one is more complex as I shift between the main bad guys and his people
This is an idea I'd like to do, starting with a Big Bad when they are still growing or starting out and then experiencing the journey.
>>
>>85112489
I like a lot of these mechanics and tables. There really is a dearth of one supplement you can use for everything to roll on for hex crawling/exploring. There is a lot of OSR stuff out there for it but it's spread out.
>>
File: Pepe Apu LOOK.jpg (38 KB, 657x527)
38 KB
38 KB JPG
How do I become autistic enough to enjoy this? I feel like a fun solo RPG would be just what I'd like to do creatively at the moment; a cross between "game" and "storywriting", but I find it very hard to get in the mood and take it "seriously".
>>
>>85125505
Imagine your favorite book, now imagine that instead of following the plot exactly you can use dice and context to go in another direction.
>getting in the mood
What helps me is reading good writing, just kicks my brain into the right frame of mind, but everyone has their own process.
>>
>>85125505
It's both a skill and an acquired taste. You need to learn how to make and enjoy a story/game of your own design that you would enjoy experiencing and making. Keeping a cohesive, interesting story is tough when you don't plan any of it, especially when you wind up taking it in a direction you later decide you don't like.
>>
>>85125781
It should be noted that the game doesn’t necessarily have to be cohesive to be enjoyable, it just needs to /appear/ to be cohesive.

> on a journey
> enter the badlands
> camp next to a roadside shrine
> much later, journeying back
> exit the badlands
> camp next to the roadside shrine.. which was in the badlands, that we just left.

I wouldn’t have caught it if I hadn’t been bullet-point journaling, so I probably do these small little inconsistencies much more. Kinda like dream-logic. It didn’t detract from the experience while playing so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
>>
>>85126310
>the badlands are receding
>cue ecofascist antagonist
>>
>>85125505
dont take it seriously, just do it if the mood hits you.

ive said it before, but i think a structured introduction like playing Sceptor of the underworld is a good way to see if you like it or might be in a mood to like it. or watch me myself and die to see the improv aspect done by someone else. im only into it in specific moods
>>
>>85021713
Anyone try Ironsworn? Probably been asked a million times, but is it any good?
>>
>>85074180
thanks for the rec, ill check out fighting fantasy.

I still want to try converting old modules to solo. many of them are designed in a very open ended way that speaks to a solo style experience with the right formating.
>>
>>85126803
Really easy to pick up, incredibly simple loop, highly modular. It's great if you've never tried a solo game, and even afterwards it's a good, simple solo experience. I still prefer the dice rolls.
>>
>>85126803
probably the best introduction to solo, the game plays itself compared to soloing a regular game
>>
>>85127316
It depends on your previous rpg experience, I think. It's easier for someone with less rpg experience or for someone with some PbtA under their belt to pick it up.
For me it was like learning a new language. Once I got it, it clicked and was easy, but it took some effort to get there as it was so different. I'm not talking about the solo parts of the game, those were the easy parts.
>>
>>85128337
>For me it was like learning a new language
same, there are some nice Ironsworn tables but I don't like how it resolves stuff
>>
>>85128357
>but I don't like how it resolves stuff
Could you explain? Not arguing, just curious. How would you prefer it to resolve things?
>>
>>85128463
Not enough granularity. Even with stuff like Dungeon World (PbtA) you can handle multiple characters, but in IS every roll is player facing and relies on the momentum/stats. It is a gamified way of approaching a solo narrative that is hard for me to get into because I am so used to using a base system with Mythic tacked on - I've solo-e for a while before Ironsworn came out.
There are lots of nice tables, especially when you look at fan supplements, but the mechanical approach leaves too many gaps for my taste. I'm especially against using companions as fungible pieces or part of a 'feat' (like caravan), as it reduces their mechanical involvement to the bare minimum. There are times when I use my own tweaked tables of the dungeon results (fantastic way to contextualize something difficult), so it's not the entire system I dislike.
>>
>>85128533
Yeah I can understand that viewpoint. Having the structured rules and assets to make it a self-contained solo experience does put up some restrictions, or leaves gaps.
>>
>>85126369
based
>>
>>85026780
for solo, why not? like what, you want to see the other players faces or something?

every solo game is basically play by post.
>>
File: starforged-book-stuff.jpg (383 KB, 1552x873)
383 KB
383 KB JPG
What do you guys think about Starforged? I heard Ironsworn was great but the theme didn't really make me wanna play. I discovered Starforged a few days back and it's right up my alley setting-wise. I found a copy of the rulebook and just started doing my first iron vow after finishing all the character/world creation stuff. Not much has happened yet but I'm enjoying what I've experienced thus far. I feel pretty immersed with the little I've done. In addition, the scifi theme hits especially hard for me since I'm playing this hacker/programmer character and I write everything out with org mode in emacs and use lisp to write simple functions to automate play. It all just feels so right.
I saw earlier in the thread that combat isn't so great though. I haven't had any fights yet so I dunno what to expect there. I'm still trying to get to grips with how to use the system as a whole especially since I never played Ironsworn itself. Likewise, is it even worth playing the original Ironsworn either if I don't care for the theme? I'll give it a go someday but I have no idea how the two games vary mechanically. They seem pretty much identical from the little I know.
Anyone getting the pre-order stuff either? If I'm still having fun after a week I think I'm gonna just splurge and get a physical copy of the rulebook, asset cards, and reference guide. I haven't pre-ordered anything before so I don't really know if it matters when I buy it considering it doesn't come out until towards the end of the year.
>>
Are you really only supposed to get one tick from a bond?
It would take ages to fill out.
>>
File: 1647816638256.gif (1.64 MB, 625x352)
1.64 MB
1.64 MB GIF
Do you start with a "plot" in mind are you supposed to just generate a town and do adventure stuff?
>>
>>85135626
No, I usually start with a character con spect and world. I let them roam around until they find a challenge.
>>
Favorite Free League game?
>>
>>85134598
It's a very good evolution of Ironsworn and outside of combat I think it does well.
>ironsworn vs starforged
The original just has flavored tables. Someone is adapting Starforged to a fantasy type setting already as a fan project that is already close to completion.
>>
>>85134796
It's for your heroe's entire life story.
>>
>>85135626
Both work, and for every genre of game.
For example, take a horror game:
Start at a creepy location and fill in the blanks. Or start with a rumor, a call for help from a friend, a personal stake like someone you know is missing, etc.
OR
Make a loose temporary adventure outline. Use it as the skeleton of your game and change it as the oracles/circumstances dictate.
Playing like this will give you build in objectives and you'll have a better idea of the questions to ask the oracle and what a yes or no might mean in context.
You can also go for the middle ground. Using Mythic for example, you can start play with only a single thread and limit the number of other threads you can create so that you have a more focused adventure. You could also create your NPCs in advance and introduce them when you roll on Introduce a new NPC. You have some control over who is in the adventure and what kind of people they are, but not over when they show up, if at all.
>>
>>85134598
For some reason I can't seem to get into it. I think I'm just burned out on sci-fi. Overall I think it's a great improvement on Ironsworn mechanics-wise and I really appreciate the oracles. It's also really nice to see how creative Shawn got with the assets.
>>
>>85134598
I prefer the old Ironsworn to Starforged, but that's just me. I don't even use Delve when I play. It's super easy to change the setting and the tone of the game. You can go from gritty Vikings to Mystery Men (the movie) type of game without changing any of the rules since the whole theme of the game is based on interpreting the results you get.
The mechanics for a slapstick fight and a gritty life or death one are exactly the same.
>>
>>85134598
starforged diluted the concepts from ironsworn and then spread that diluted soup too thin imo
everything is vague and interpretative in the extreme, combat being the worst offender
he pushed the fiction first aspect too far and the game broke, it’s a step from just imagining going pew pew and rolling a dice to see if you win or not, except the results are so open it’s not even that
>>
>>85135626
I literally just start with a character and vague idea of the setting and nothing else, have him go about his business, generate npcs and events and stuff along the way and wait for shit to inevitably happen. Sometimes I walk out the door and the dice generate a plot hook right there, sometimes I spend 3 sessions doing mundane shit, sometimes I start on an immediate crisis event only to get sidelined by some natural disaster or something 5 minutes later and have the big crisis thing just go on without me while I’m trapped or held captive or something.
I kinda want to run a zero prep zero setting zero everything game and not tell the players, just roll everything as they go, but I have no idea if the groupfags would enjoy it or get mad
>>
>>85138162
Just don't tell them
>>
>>85138162
>>85138280
This. I found out last year that our GM has been using Mythic for the last 3 years of our games. I had no idea and the games were always good. No railroad. No stopping because some player did something the GM didn't account for.
It wasn't setting-less, but everything else was made on the spot. Even the NPCs.
I knew about solo and about Mythic, but since there was never any book on the table that I could see, I had no idea.
>>
>>85138731
I recently did a mini one shot D&D game with some family and it was all off the cuff. I didn't even feel like having them make characters so I had them play as kobolds and orcs straight from the monster manual. I didn't use Mythic but I rolled on random tables and did the yes/no roll thing to myself to see if something happens based on how likely it is and all. I believe I referenced one of those solo D&D books too when I played by myself before so that helped a bit.
Overall the experience was very fun. I really enjoyed the lack of railroading and just letting everyone do what they want within reason. I hadn't thought to run a game with Mythic though. I'm gonna steal that idea for next time thanks anon.
>>
>>85021713
anyone have a list/ table of interesting action types? stuff thats system agnostic and is simply a good way to reference interesting scenarios/ abilities. stuff like:
Area of effect, slow, frighten, regenerate, smooth talker, blind, displace, enviornment destruction, etc.
>>
Does anybody have any good written examples of solo play for a beginner to follow? So I can better understand what to do?
>>
>>85142689
just play ironsworn, it’s not hard
any example you can see will either be some meme tier theatre improv, a gay creative writing exercise, or autism that will turn you off from soloing because seeing a normal person play solo, live or through notes, just looks retarded
>>
File: one page.pdf (183 KB, PDF)
183 KB
183 KB PDF
>>85142735
gross, why would you start someone with ironsword? the whole system is a turn off for a layman rpg player. it would probably be better to play a system they are familiar with but use a simple solo engine like one page or apocolypse. ironsword is very much an aquired taste.
>>85142689
ill actually answer your question instead of recommending you just play something: watch any season of me myself and die if you can stomach the player. hes not everyones cup of tea (wasnt mine), but he does demonstrate how solo is played and its improve element very well. I was put off by his voiceactorism, but its a legit good way to understand the “flow” of solo. he has a savage worlds campaign, a ironsworn campaign, and a dominion campaign and he mostly uses mythic.
>>
>>85143960
I like this game engine quite a bit and gives me some ideas. I'll have to just nut up and write the specific rules I'm looking for; but this helps for general play. Thanks!
>>
>>85075960
I've been playing Sunless Skies recently (the video game) and it's a very story driven kind of thing. When you level up, you take a "facet" which acts as a stat boost but also fleshes something out about your character- like they had a stint in prison or were involved in a scandal. I feel something similar would work for srpgs.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.