[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

What birth defects could people in your setting get? What do the regular folk think about such individuals? Are they feared? Revered? Just thought of as weird? Or do they not get any special treatment?
>>
>>84505972
Why do you care?
>>
File: IMG_20200719_221554.jpg (142 KB, 1024x1976)
142 KB
142 KB JPG
>>84505972
Nothing particularly distressing
>>
>>84505972
Mars Complex has only a few children born with birth defects and most of those were because their parents were using legalized narcotics during pregnancy.

yeah, it's pretty safe on Mars Complex.
>>
>>84505981
/thread

I can also add: why the fuck does it matter at all
>>
>>84505972
In my settings women's assholes are placed about an inch further back and their pussies about an inch forward. I've always found how close they are irl to be a serious flaw akin to a birth defect, but they all have it.
>>
>>84505972
Gnomes can be born with only 4-6 fingers on each hand instead of the usual 7. They're not superstitious about it but it makes some crafts harder to learn, so those Gnomes often take jobs where less finesse with their digits is required.
>>
>>84505972
Greco-Roman infanticide is practiced due to the hardships that the population endures and the lack of contraceptives, it is actually pretty bleak
>>
>>84505972
Why would I want my fantasy settings that are focused around heroic escapades and adventure to include birth defects?
>>
the peoples of the southern peninsula are usually born with 6 fingers a hand, but some individuals have more or less. More is seen as a good omen, less is seen as unfortunate. It dates back to a legendary figure, which then lead to some self-selection, and now it's so common as to be the norm. It's pretty rare to have a number other then 6, you might get one in a large village or valley. At the extreme it might be enough to bump someone up or down one level of lifestyle, but mostly just affects their business prospects and love life. Not like they're worshiped or shunned.
>>
File: 666.jpg (137 KB, 1000x750)
137 KB
137 KB JPG
>>84505972
What difference would a sixth finger make?
>>
File: 6.png (452 KB, 592x526)
452 KB
452 KB PNG
>>84507016
>>
>>84505972
Polydactyly with a functional finger isn't a defect, though.
>>
>>84507044
Okay, maybe defect wouldn't be the right word. Anomaly, perhaps?

On a similar note, I'm also curious about what boon or drawback this things give these people. For example, extra fingers can allow for better dexterity and grip

I also found a Tumblr post that looked at various deformities and brought up a certain fictional race, and explored how those same deformities, while detrimental humans, would be useful to this other race.

I wish I could find it again
>>
>>84507016
You can flip up to four birds.
You can charge 20% extra for handjobs.
You are immune to any sort of five-finger-discount accusations.
When properly trained from early age you can beat South Koreans at competitive gaming.
>>
File: 1555915542772.jpg (1.21 MB, 1920x1080)
1.21 MB
1.21 MB JPG
>>84505972
Humans are trapped in an artifical world of sorts (as it was clearly engineered as opposed to just being natural) and after a few mutations appeared in the children and some of the colonist the original way to get back to Earth was destroyed on the chance of preventing some kind of disease from spreading to the rest of Humanity.

After 200 years the mutations have stabilized so mostly you'll have people that have 6 limbs (4 arms), sometimes tails, or horns and some combination of the types. However, this also came with some minor psychic powers as a result

This is significant to the world they now live on but its a cheap way to explain away the psychic powers. This would be a custom setting made for Stars without Number.
>>
>>84505972
Sometimes orcs and half orcs are born with dark skin.
Some humans are colorblind and cannot function in human society.
Some high elven women keep their teeth into adulthood.
>>
>>84505972
There's rolling storms of elemental energy that can transform babies and small children into the various types of planetouched. That's the birth defects we got.
>>
>>84507101
Anomaly, mutation, or even evolution. It's usually a dominant gene.
>>
>>84507016
people with fully formed polydactyly irl ive heard are very dextrous
>>
File: 1640937146933.jpg (67 KB, 1064x1056)
67 KB
67 KB JPG
>>84505972
Birth defects generally don't exist in my setting. Souls tend to get to choose from a basic body template before reincarnation so overall you are generally going to arrive in a body that is functional and fitting.
It's a very 80s sitcom type of world. Illness either comes with age or tragic misfortune during adulthood.
>>
>>84507044
Sure it is. If you try to bang someone else with polydactyl hands, the baby will abort. Six fingers is the dominant gene expression and five fingers is the recessive; if it weren't for whatever stops the fetuses from developing properly, almost all humans would have six fingers.
>>
File: Zloks.png (265 KB, 899x434)
265 KB
265 KB PNG
If the goblins aren't careful what caterpillars they throw into the goblin pot, the new goblin might come out ugly, yellow, with two many eyes, not enough eyes, ect. Generally they just eat them when they notice the goblin soup is a little too sour.
>>
File: assbaby.jpg (24 KB, 400x400)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
>>84505972
Assbabies are disgustingly common in the setting, although they're usually abandoned, either at birth for their ugliness or shortly after they begin talking for their easily apparent stupidity and worhtlessness. The parents are often killed for spawning them if it gets out.
>>
>>84505972
Dwarfism.
Homosexuality.
Downies.
>>
>>84514482
>gays can have ass babies in your fag setting
Holy kill your self. Next you’ll tell me nonwhites considered “people” too.
>>
File: 40K Isekai.gif (448 KB, 240x320)
448 KB
448 KB GIF
>>84505972
The catalogue of branch-humans are 'birth defects' that stuck around.
One of the gifts of the errant creation energy still leaking through holes in reality.

Swamp lurkers
>Humans with frog like skin
>Lives in the swamps (obviously)
>They can see better underwater than most people see on dry land
>They have to keep somewhat damp or their skin begins to crack and dry out.
>Mottled gray-green skin gives them near perfect swamp camouflaged
>Some of the best (and spiciest) food in the setting
>All of their metalwork is made of bronze
>Live in floating pontoon houses
>Witch cult religion that worships some watery god which dwells beneath any water too murky to see through
>Friendly so long as you are there to trade with them
>Masters of guerilla warfare
They are hailed as traders by some, and hunted like animals by others depending on your religion

Stalkairs
>Tall, lanky, double jointed albino people
>Live in the massive underground cave networks
>Can see perfectly in pitch darkness
>Excellent hearing
>half blind in the daylight except while wearing tinted goggles
>gets sunburned extremely easily
>Hunt by digging sinkhole traps
>Very adept at making poisons/chemical weapons
>Extremely shy, never speak above a whisper
Most people avoid them, but they make for excellent scouts if you can hire them

I've got like ten more.
>>
>>84514546
Who the fuck said anything about gays having babies? Assbaies are spawned when men fuck women in the ass, and sperm mixed with fecal matter drips into the mother's womb to spawn a deformed mutant retard baby.
>>
>>84514611
NTA, but here I thought you were talking about Asperger's babies
>>
File: PF Tiefling 3.jpg (58 KB, 673x961)
58 KB
58 KB JPG
>>84505972
>What birth defects could people in your setting get?
Tiefling.
>>
File: 1588635132085.png (673 KB, 1682x1200)
673 KB
673 KB PNG
>>84507016
Swordsmanship.
>>
There have been no such thing as birth defects since the revolution in heaven. The more interventionist gods of the modern era heal that kind of thing before birth.
>>
>>84505972
Male humans can grow to below 6ft
>>
File: Mirrored Hand Syndrome.jpg (113 KB, 1024x1280)
113 KB
113 KB JPG
>>
>>84516470
looks like a facebook meme so probably fake
>>
>>84505972
Being born as a retarded faggot like OP
>>
>>84516481
But on the other hand heh Imagine how it'd feel
>>
>>84507110
why did you have to make me think of six-fingered handjobs anon
>>
>>84516481
well since dnd is after-school special tier now, might as well center it a campaign an deformed peasant girl, so the party can learn about the <i>real</i> monster
>>
>>84516549
What real monster? Foot fetishists?
>>
>>84516493
*ziiip* done aaand done!
>>
>>84516481
On the one hand it might be fake but on the other hand is another hand.
>>
>>84506067
>women's assholes are placed about an inch further back and their pussies about an inch forward.
So your setting has them all as trannies?
>>
>>84516481
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulnar_dimelia
>>
>>84516470
>>84516481
>>84519415
I saw a YouTube vid of a toddler with that. He gripped a phone in a rather interesting way
>>
>>84519415
my bucket list keeps getting longer and longer!
>>
File: consider 1492103930001.jpg (154 KB, 959x477)
154 KB
154 KB JPG
>OP's pic
My name is Innigo Mentoya.
You have killed my father.
Prepare to die.
>>
File: PrinceRoderrick.jpg (54 KB, 735x959)
54 KB
54 KB JPG
>>84505972
One of the royal families is afflicted in the male line by gynecomastia, as well as a certain androgyny of the facial features. To keep this embarrassing affliction secret hose who are particularly severely affected are raised as women, and word is put about that they are barren, and therefore unsuitable for marriage.
Pic related; it's the kings youngest brother, prince / 'princess' Rodderick.
>>
I have an N.P.C. who is a slaver, and he has a version of that thing where you incompletely assimilate a twin in the womb.
He has like half an extra face on the side of his face; three eyes, two tongues, an extra-wide mouth and a seriously messed-up nose and so-on.
His nickname is 'gorgeous' because he has a face and a half.
>>
>>84505972
Being too close to demons can fuck you up so hard that your children come out warped and ugly.
The gods generally don't make serious errors when slapping souls into bodies otherwise. Maybe you'll have one leg slightly shorter than the other, maybe you'll have the wrong number of fingers, but people aren't born deformed or crippled unless there's malign powers at work.
>>
>>84505972
One thought I've had is an engineered race who have inactive genes for *mostly* functional wings left over from proof-of-concept work to get them to be six-limbed fliers that serve as quality control for from-scratch development because they're *ridiculously* sensitive to esoteric influences.

Sometimes, they end up with the wings growing in since dummying it out was a simple hox deletion, exactly like the occasional human with a tail. The result is that they wear the nature of their soul on their shoulders.

Generally fast-tracked to high clergy, partly because of the angelic imagery, partly because the position blots out other influences, and partly because there's a way for them to do it without leaving vat-grown wings laying all over the place.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.