[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: rpl1.png (130 KB, 400x198)
130 KB
130 KB PNG
>don't play d&d!
>Retard forced meme, but okay, so play what?
>... play [x]! It's objectively better!
>Already played it, and it's worse.

Rinse and repeat. D&D is far from perfect, but holy shit, all other published games succeed in failing to reach that golden standard. First mover isn't enough to explain D&D's increasing dominance over the hobby, and as much as you can complain about it, every other game you don't make yourself is just going to be worse.
>>
>>84492270
So many of the HYTNPDfags don't play games. They simply shitpost on /tg/ and replay console RPGS as a replacement for real gaming.
They don't understand that "I can get my friends to play it" is the only thing that matters when it comes to judging a game.
>>
>>84492270
Yeah, DnD is like democracy, it's far from perfect system but everything else we tried was even worse.
>>
I'm pretty sure it's to do with Baby Duck Syndrome and Anchoring Bias.

The majority of people encounter TTRPGs through D&D simply because it's got the highest profile around it. Therefore it's often hard for them to even try other games. Even those who do are usually biased to begin with.

I only draw this from my own observations and experience though. My first TTRPG was Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 1st Edition and I still use that as my gold standard for RPGs in terms of creativity and fun. Hell every single starter adventure that's ever came out I compared to the one in the back of that book.
>>
>>84492333
>democracy and dnd apologist
>>
>>84492270
you played my homebrew? what did you think about the movement and class systems? did you use the prototype classes or the generic fantasy trees?
>>
>>84492270
How is Genesys as a jack of all trades system alternative to DnD?
>>
>>84492333
>Yeah, DnD is like democracy, it's far from perfect system but everything else we tried was even worse.
Just like democracy, better systems have been tried, but (((monied interests))) ensure they don't succeed.
>>
>>84492706
A system that only works in magical christmasland isn't a real system.
>>
>>84492270
>First mover isn't enough to explain D&D's increasing dominance over the hobby,
Same could be said about 40k and MTG (to a lesser extent because of YGO and Pokemon). There are better game equivalents for all of them. First mover also gives you a massive foundation for higher quality products at larger scale. You cant put your smaller name RPG in every bookstore. You cant make a miniature game with the supply quantity of 40k/AoS.
All of these games (D&D, 40k,etc.) Have a high production quality. Beautiful books, art, etc. Massive presence in the gaming space. They're not "bad" but a lot of people are frustrated with the ad populum argument that they're the "best".

My playgroup hasn't played 5e in about 3 years. We switch it up between CoC, OSE, and have tried Lancer. I recommend playgroups to try other systems but D&D is still ok.
>>
>>84492270
what other systems have you played
>>
File: AB_A9.jpg (244 KB, 1181x1594)
244 KB
244 KB JPG
>>84492270
The actual truth is that every system out there is objectively shit in one aspect or another. I've played enough D&D, The Dark Eye, Shadowrun and Call of Cthulhu to have seen what drags these systems down. Mechanics that are unnecessarily cumbersome. Rules that actively work against what the game sets out to be. And also stuff that simply doesn't work the way it is written. People have either come to accept these flaws, or they ignore them and pick the good stuff only. Mostly the lore and artwork.
>>
>>84492270
>>Already played it, and it's worse.
said absolutely no one ever.
>>
>>84492270
Most games lack the meta structure to play that D&D has. There's no question about how you progress your character, you go slay monsters or acquire treasure. "What should we be doing this session?" is a question that games should make clear for players and GMs, but most games are confused and try to be everything. The games with lasting success tend to be ones with a solid meta structure to "what are we doing": Shadowrun has a similar dungeon crawl loop to D&D, Call of Cthulhu has investigations and extending the time before your character becomes unplayable.

In my opinion, World of Darkness and specifically Vampire and Werewolf is the only historically successful RPG that merely was lucky and came at the right time.
>>
>>84492886
That's a good point.
In addition, D&D sells the "you can do anything and be anything!" while simultaneously having skills/feats/etc. for everything.
This puts it over the OSR games for new players because you can be a crazy nunchuck wielding dragonborn monk with very clear rules and progression instead of "HUMAN FIGHTER" and you don't have to think of how to do something or discuss with a DM if something is possible because most actions are in the rules already (i.e. pushing an opponent is written into D&D but not Basic Fantasy).
>>
>>84492802
>There are better game equivalents for all of them
Not really.
>>
>>84492953
Yes really.
>>
>>84492304
if that's really the only thing that matters, then the best game would be cards against humanity. and that game sucks.
>>
>>84492987
You've probably never played it with good friends.
>>
Best for dungeon crawling. Bad for exploration and adventure, and especially for intrigue. D6 will always be a more fun system.
I think you might have tried one other game once, didn't immediately understand it, and then formed this opinion.
>>
>>84493003
Cards against humanity? If I'm in good company it's way more fun to just sit around and say fucked up shit. The game is actually, literally copy-and-paste humor.
>>
>>84493003
Nta but the game gets incredibly boring and repetitive with time. Played it pretty consistently a few years back but eventually you realize it's just a game of matching a certain white card to a certain black card or judge. The jokes start repeating pretty quickly because you'll always get shit like "what helps Obama sleep?" Followed with "Michelle Obama's arms"
>>
>>84492948
Classic D&D's procedural clarity is a big part of why one of D&D's biggest competitors is older versions of D&D.
>>
>>84493080
you also get a sense of the insta-win cards
>>
>>84493080
If you play with the huge box, you have literally millions of potential combinations.
My group plays with a special "dump" rule (every few rounds, someone can look at their hand, decide that they only have shit/unfunny cards, and motion for a dump, where everyone discards as many cards as they want and draws that same number), so we actually go through that huge box faster than most groups, but it still manages to stay fairly fresh.
>>
>>84492829
This thread will get 300+ posts without ever addressing this post's question.
>>
>>84493137
Definitely, but that appeals more to players already familiar with TTRPGs.
5e is there on the shelf, looking pretty, and showing new players what the world of TTRPGs is like. They just stick with 5e though unless they (and by extension their group) really get into the mechanics of TTRPGs.
>>
>>84493190
Without thread-based user IDs like on other boards, we could never know.
>>
>>84493190
Probably because it's irrelevant and there's no way to prove it one way or the other. OP can say either all of them or you can say none of them, and nothing really changes except you try to start an argument over some anonymous person's "credentials".
Dumb loser.
>>
>>84492270
Bullshit. Savage Worlds does D&D better than D&D could ever dream of.
>>
>>84493231
ok OP
>>
>>84492829
Warhammer Fantasy 2E
Cyberpunk 2020
Runequest
Conan 2d20
Star Wars d6
Vampire, Werewolf, and Mage OWoD
Exalted 2E
A Castlevania homebrew based on Tri-Stat
FASERIP Marvel
Bubblegum Crisis
Dragon AGE (the tabletop adaptation by Green Ronin)
Dungeons The Dragoning 7E

You?
>>
>>84493196
Even then, you can always slay monsters in 5e. When in doubt, the DM can make some combat arenas, and players are often eager to test them out. It doesn't have the same lack of procedural clarity as, say Vampire
>>
>>84493482
None of these are high fantasy, so you didn't actually try alternatives to D&D
Try:
>Gurps dungeon fantasy
>Genesys with the Realms of Terrinoth
>Fragged Kingdom
instead
>>
>>84493321
It's worse 8n every fucking aspect, what the fuck are you talking about.
>You want crunch, complexity of mechanics and gameplay that will male you think?
Just roll a d20 or whatever. It's like eighty pages, what do you expect? Just freeform rp and post this product you've consumed to social media.
>Are you a smoothbrain that just wants to turn off their brain and can't figure out how to roll a d20 every now and again while free form rping on your own?
The boring as character creation is still going to ear up a half hour.
It's the worst of both worlds, like intentionally made it unapealing to both the crunchsters and the improv but with occasional dice rolls crowd. And don't get me started on the meme initiative system.
>>
toasting with baited bread B^)
>>
>>84493520
>Dungeons the Dragoning 7E
>GRG's AGE
These are both way more D&D alt than Autism Simulator Dungeon Fantasy.
>>
>>84493554
>Just roll a d20 or whatever. It's like eighty pages, what do you expect? Just freeform rp and post this product you've consumed to social media.
DnDu in a nutshell
>>
>>84492953
Yes, very much so. Even their own older editions are better, as are many of their community editions, or games made by people using same materials those games use.
>>
>>84492270
>>Already played it, and it's worse.
This didn't happen
>>
>>84492740
I agrre, that's why demlcracy will never work
>>
>>84492953
Is there any opinion you don't follow the mass market on?
>>
>>84493554
>he thinks D&D is mechanically complex
Lmao, fucking retard.
>>
>>84492270
Low quality bait. Just kill yourself faggot.
>>
>>84492270
It's the most culturally accessible RPG, the most recognized by normies, and therefore the common entry point into the hobby. If they like it, chances are they won't move on to other systems because of the time/effort required to learn a new one. If they dislike dnd, they will simply not continue exploring other options. Dnd's staying power is perpetuated by its notability.
>>
>>84493520
>Fragged Kingdom
Does that not suck? I vaguely remember bag things being said about empire.
>>
>>84492451
This t.b.h.
>>
>>84492633
You can always go to reddit
>>
>>84493631
>/v/eddit non-reply
I've really got you stumped
>>
>>84493663
Most RPGs not called gurps dont take too long to learn.
>>
>>84493706
Reddit likes democracy a lot more than most people on 4chan.
>>
>>84493029
D6? Surely you jest
>>
>>84493149
That would just make it get staler faster. CaH is complete and utter dogshit & nothing u can do will redeem it or make it funny
>>
>>84493744
It's efficient and pleasant. Not crunchy but also not FATE dice. Combat is faster and more fun.
>>
>>84493520
>Genesys
Goofy dice narrativist-shitting is not an equivalent of or replacement for D&D
>>
>>84493709
I'm not going to argue with you because you clearly have no idea what you're talking about. Retard.
>>
>>84493217
What boards, pol lol no thanks, I prefer being anonymous. Seems like I can get purer or more honest opinions that way. Sure, there are tons of shitposts (more than ever) but if you sift through the dross, you can still find diamonds every now and then. It's getting harder to do that though. Is this the true death of 4chan? I'm reading that, here and there
>>
>>84493231
I can tell nogames from ppl who actually play, famalamadingdong, usually
>>
>>84493321
>SW
Yeah, no
>>
>>84493786
>Me no R-gew bcuz me am rite and u am rong
I accept your admission of being a lonely shit stirrer arguing about things he doesn't know about because the only way he knows to get human interraction is by being called a retard by a stranger on the internet.
>>
>>84493482
Pure Kino. This man (mostly) fucks
>>
>>84493617
U wish u knew what u are talking about. Gb2pol
>>
>>84493835
>say something stupid
>get called stupid
>URRR DEBATE ME
>no
>HURR DURR I WIN
Okay retard.
>>
>>84493741
Maybe. Idk. My nephew asked me to go there once and I totally couldn't understand it's UI. This was before their app ig
>>
File: 1528368407624.png (157 KB, 563x506)
157 KB
157 KB PNG
>>84493728
Correct, but most players are lazy and won't bother reading the rules. Maybe there's someone here with the magical group that tries every system, but I'm betting for most it's reserved to one-offs and online groups with mostly strangers or friends of friends desperate to try something new and getting really disappointed when the system they invested so much effort in doesn't turn out to be perfect.
>>
>>84493779
Does it use the infamous exploding die rule? I don't think it's very granular, at least in my experiences
>>
>>84493862
Anon, you are the one saying the dumb shit. Even what you're lazily hecking epic baiterino-ing about wasn't something I actually said.
Remember, suicide is always an option.
>>
Rolled 3, 2, 6 = 11 (3d6)

>>84493897
Man, I must have perfect players because they're all interested in learning the rules. That's my favorite part of games so maybe it rubbed off on them. Idk, but they are the definition of fun first crowd but they can get downright crunchy with the right spicy ruleset. Like, game mastery is their jam, absolutely. (__________ABSOLUTELY 100%) Although, sometimes, when an actual game issue (not politics, not religious stuff, not real world stuff but actual game related issues) like caster supremacy problems reared their ugly head? This group is flexible enough to turn on a dime. Seriously, wizards are my favorite d&d class and even I realized my class was obviating other classes THREE editions ago WTF get it fucking together WOTC or really, any publisher. I haven't really enjoyed playing wizards for three editions and I love 4th edition but 5th is so try hard, bby's first d&d bland bs that I just can't get behind it. It's boring AF to design for, just like 3.x bullshit. I'm cooking up a 1st to 5th mega variant of d&d and it's fucking a mess. And terrible. Infinitely terrible
>>
File: 5efags.png (957 KB, 813x960)
957 KB
957 KB PNG
>>84492270
>>
File: Doubledpay_af1a67_8193935.png (1.09 MB, 1200x1758)
1.09 MB
1.09 MB PNG
>>84492333
no retard, fuedalism is the perfect system, and everything we tried is even worse. why do you think D&D is so popular? simple, fuedalism is best.
>>
>>84493520
>none of those are high fantasy
>try gurps
god I hate gurpsfags
no your gritty system isn't high fantasy.
>>
>>84493875
yeah you sure are saying something stupid, not that anon btw.
>>
>>84493904
U r the one saying democracy can't work. Your words. But sir, I ask you, did it work for the USA? Spoiler alert
>>
>>84493781
And making retarded buzzword opinions about a system you clearly know nothing about isn’t a replacement for having a brain.
>>
File: ur a faget.jpg (138 KB, 531x783)
138 KB
138 KB JPG
Yes. please dndrones, stay in your containment game and never try anything else. but you don't have any games, so it will be easy for you
>>
>>84492829
Not OP
>Rolemaster
Palladium Fantasy
>RQ
>C&S
>T&T
>HackMaster
>C&C
>Bushido
>Ars Magica
>all of the oWoD
>BTSN, Rifts, and the rest of Palladium
>CoC
>Ghostbusters
>Boot Hill
>Champions
>M&M
>DC Heroes
>Marvel FASERIP
>Aberrant
>Superworld
>Traveler
>Space Opera
>Alternity
>Spacemaster
>Star Trek
>Star Wars
>Elric/Stormbringer/etc
and probably, oh, another 40.
AD&D 1e is still my default.
No, it wasn't my first RPG
>>
File: file.png (1.19 MB, 900x1384)
1.19 MB
1.19 MB PNG
It's about time that /tg/ gave it a serious shot.
>simpler than D&D
>faster than D&D
>classless
>not simulationist at all
>>
>>84492270
Nobody's saying don't play D&D. Well I'm sure some people are, but they're retarded.
What we're saying is, don't try to crowbar D&D into being something it's not good at when there are other games that do what you want to do better.
If you want to do a dungeon-delving sword and sorcery combat game, great! Play D&D to your heart's content.
>>
>>84493772
This, it's Reddit-tier humor
>>
>>84494584
I wish it was easier to add limitations to the exploding dice formula in a VTT given the base probabilities are wonky
>>
>>84492694

I know some people dismiss it because of meme dice but I really like genysys as a DM. The fail but good things happen and succeed but bad things happen is just so much more interesting to me and leads to more interesting scenarios
>>
File: 1532347517170.jpg (528 KB, 1050x642)
528 KB
528 KB JPG
>>84494382
>complaining about anime
>forced troon meme
>on 4chan
You can always go back
>>
>>84495099
My question has always been this:
Between HERO System, GURPS, and D6, why make or use another universal system?
As far as Genesys, the meme dice is a killer. I actually *play games* so the idea of needed a separate set just for one game is dumb
>>
>>84495173
Sometimes it's flavour (i.e. Dark Heresy or WanG for 40k games. Sure you could just modify GURPS but that's a lot more effort to setup.)
Others it's because the more precise systems do exactly what you and your players want with no other fluff whereas the general systems may require extra complications or be more obtuse to do the same thing.
>>
>>84495099
>>84495173
>meme dice
elaborate?
>>
>>84493890
>I totally couldn't understand it's UI
Are you retarded? It's just nested comments
>>
>>84495824
>>
>>84494545
when people say to others "have you tried not playing d&d" they are never referring to 1e
>>
>>84492270
>t. never played WFRP
>>
File: 1632555294064.png (211 KB, 471x574)
211 KB
211 KB PNG
>>84495172
>muh safe space
Have fun with that, pedo weeb
>>
>>84496155
They're just shitposting with forced troll spam, they're not referring to any game.
>>
>>84492304
>replay console RPGS
I don't think they even do that. They hate fun of any kind except what they get from trolling.
>>
>>84493080
Cards against humanity has the same issue as apples and apples. After 3 games it just started dying off, no exception.
>>
>>84494220
>give 3 options
>one of them is gurps
>hurr gurps fag
Did your brain shut down at the mere mention of the name Gurps?
>>
>>84492270
Know how I know you hated it just because it wasn't D&D?
Hint: It has to do with your unholy lust for cock sucking.
>>
>>84494382
where's barniefag when we need him the most?
>>
File: 1643300284313.jpg (139 KB, 1618x1080)
139 KB
139 KB JPG
>>84499509
scaring nerds on the other boards
>>
>>84499253
>give 3 options
>none of them are good
>one of them is the exact opposite of what the anon is talking about.
does your brain shut down the moment you have a chance to shill your terrible system?
>>
File: 174004597356.png (176 KB, 268x282)
176 KB
176 KB PNG
>>84495871
How overpriced are these genesys dice?
I don't really get why Fantasy Flight games thought it was a good idea to put out an RPG system that now seems to be only accessible through digital storefronts. But tie in proprietary dice.
One of DnD's biggest selling points is that there is no custom dice required. Just different multi-sided die with numbers on them instead of those symbols Genesys is selling.

Did they ever give Genesys a physical release?
>>
>>84493482
And why were these games worse than the rigid class systems, bad resolutions, and still overly complex dice soup of D&D?
>>
>>84500569
They aren't bad really and me and my group love the dice system. And yes, Genesys had a physical release.
>>
>>84500612
>rigid class systems
>bad resolutions
>overly complex
lol git gud retard
next your gonna admit you suck so hard you believe "hp bloat" is a thing
>>
>>84492270
try Dungeon Crawl Classics, i posted a thread and no one is replying, it's a great system
>>
>>84493231
>irrelevant
Yes, the games OP has played is irrelevant to the games OP has played.
>no way to prove it
Yeah, but the thread is already here, and if OP answers he still has to either come up with the effort to lie or pretend to be someone else unreasonably defensive about OP being called out on a site notorious for other people not giving a shit about OP being dogpiled.
>nothing really changes except you try to start an argument over some anonymous person's "credentials"
Except the really cool thing about this is that games have mechanics, and people who know the games OP lists can test OP's practical knowledge of those mechanics with various questions.
This is what's known as "discussion", something that seems to be a foreign concept to people as of late, in favor of speaking in memes, irony, and sass.
>>
>>84495856
Yeah, I probably am retarded. I'm the one that can't figure out how to use the PDF share thread
>>
>>84493890
lmfao
you cannot understand 4chan but way WAY more quality of life features?
4chan has such shit design compared to reddit it's unreal
>>
>>84494165
No replies because they KNOW they can't refute this.
>>
>>84500569
>One of DnD's biggest selling points is that there is no custom dice required.
Most people see any die that isn't a d6 as totally wild. You have to be thinking from some insulated hobby perspective to think otherwise.
>>
>>84492270
Ironically this post is true because the best shit is B/X clones, so technically D&D.
>>
>>84494165
I feel like I must be the only person who regularly tries to use republics or non-monarchical governments in their world.
>>
>>84501312
4chan's UI is infinitely better than that shit. 4chan shows you threads by bump order as it's meant to be instead of "hot". reddit is just a (((viral))) content farm and the UI reflects that. the threading is shit compared to backlinks and it's dispersive as fuck.
that's not even touching the downvote system which single-handedly destroys all genuine discussion
go back
>>
>>84502836
>the downvote system destroys all genuine discussion
lmfao
>>
>>84494056
You have an amazing group, anon. Always be grateful for their basedness.
>>
>>84502914
Yes it does. People put more care in honey-coating their posts than in what they're trying to say which always boils down to stupid platitudes that might as well not be there. And those who say anything that goes against the grain get buried before a discussion starts. It's a fucking stupidly designed website if you think about it as a discussion forum instead of social media virality farm.
>>
>>84503099
Exactly this. The only way to make Reddit tolerable is to sort comments by "controversial," but that's just a bandaid; any take that doesn't get banned for wrongthink only gets one of two reactions:
1. "I agree and I have nothing to offer."
2. "Oh, so you think THAT way? YIKES."

At least here you can get a wide array of responses, and you don't have to go hunting for actual discussions (within a decent thread, anyway.)
>>
>want a high fantasy game that can do dungeon crawling, has at least slightly interesting combat without nonexistent rules for noncombat, can handle an age of exploration/Chrono cross feel
>think d&d 5e is bland as shit and 3.5e is imbalanced
What the fuck else do I try
>>
>>84503182
most responses aren't worth reading, like come on how could you even think otherwise unless you just enjoy wasting your time

this gay fucking website is constantly barraged by spam and shit you could never care about personally, and on reddit you get content curated for (you)
the only way you could actually want something different is if you're just that shallow and yet to flesh out your own character
>>
>>84503217
>most responses aren't worth reading
I agree, but that's the issue: on reddit, there's even less room for decent responses. Here, even the dogshit ones are generally entertaining if nothing else.
>>
>>84503195
for systems you'll actually find a game for, both editions of pathfinder
>>
>84503217
this has got to be bait
either way kys
>>
>>84503315
Everyone I've heard from says pathfinder 2e is terrible
>>
>>84503370
It's my preferred system nowadays, although if your hesitant I'd recommend reading through the CRB or watching some live play to judge if you want to give it a shot (archives of nethys, or if you want the artwork alongside it there's probably some PDFs you can quickly find)
If nothing else, you might find something you want to steal for homebrew purposes, I don't like OSR systems but they do have a lot of stuff I like taking for my own games
>>
I have only ever played 3.5 and I will continue to play 3.5 until I die
>>
>>84495871
>15USD
>out of stock
I swear I think a custom dice manufacturer could produce these at a cheaper price.
>>
>>84503195
4e
>>
>Bait this fucking blatant
>100+ replies
>>
>>84493899
>granular
you cannot get anymore granular than +1 pip at a time and D6 can map right over to say 3e at roughly a pip per skill rank for monster conversion purposes. D6 is god tier.
>>
>>84501083
each of those is spot on and a direct hit; including hp bloat.
>>
>>84503325
>has to be bait!
>proves him right
wow. just fucking wow.
>>
>>84503195
Burning Wheel is built for that, but it's also a clunky mess of a rulebook.
OSR, especially Whitehack which is built around giving you a lot more freedom in how you think about your character. It has rules for noncombat but it's not the focus.
Shadow of the Demon Lord depending on what you mean by age of exploration. If you mean "I'm caught in the jungle, delirious with malaria, trying to flood the underworld kingdom of the demon god of bats because my God said he'll give me loads of gold if I do so" then it'll be up your alley. If you mean "jolly fun times being dashing pirates rescuing maidens and getting into captain sparrow hijinks" maybe less so, lol. By default it's dark fantasy rather than high fantasy, but I don't think it'd be hard to reflavour.
GURPS, of course, but you have to be fine with adapting the generic system to suit your campaign.
>>
5e is good as long as you don't spend too much time on it, then players realize everyone always go for the same stupid build (martials go for power attack / sharpshooter) while caster will go for the last flavor of powercreeped cantrip from the last book.

Meanwhile dmd looks at those garbage pile of the same 4 monsters called monster manual and be like "what flavor of boring ass multi attack monster with one counterattack is my party fighting today ?"

And all of this isn't helped by the retard that thought it was okay to set the bar at 5 encounters a day to deplete party ressources.

I do applaude the advantage / disadvantage and the legendary actions systems tho, those were cool when they released.
>>
>>84505371
>troll wants to be taken seriously
Protip: "HP bloat" is instant grounds for dismissal.
>>
>>84505948
>Burning Wheel is built for that, but it's also a clunky mess of a rulebook.
Oh man, that system looks so fucking cool.
I played with the character burner for a while and the narrative possibilities are so interesting.
I pray to whichever god is listening that I may one day have the opportunity to play it.

>Shadow of the Demon Lord
Can't wait for the weird wizard playtest to go public so I can give it a read.
>>
>>84506180
>HP bloat isn't real, because it just isn't, ok?
>Everyone having hundreds of HP to scale the game is just coincidence
>>
>>84506180
No it isn't.
>>
>>84503195
Earthdawn
>>
>>84507098
>I CAN'T UNDERSTAND RATIOS
lol
>>84507518
But it is. Only trolls would think/say otherwise.
>>
>>84505363
But 3e is dogshit. Bad comparison
>>
>>84507605
Yeah, I'm sure everyone who said HP bloat ever is a troll even though you can google it and find thousands of results.

Also 5E's damage ratios are shit, retard.
>>
>>84507637
> find thousands of results.
From years ago, back when 4e had fucked up math.

Now? It's literally only trolls so retarded they're repeating troll chants from over a decade ago and expecting anyone to take them seriously.

That's your mental damage. You're trapped, and you don't realize that the world has continued moving even though you've just been wasting your life in your mother's basement. You can't just repeat nonsense from old edition wars today and not expect to be called out on it.
>>
>>84507667
No, every google result is in response to 5E, retard.
>>
>>84507679
>trolls repeating outdated troll chants+retards
Welcome to your mental damage.
>"HP Bloat is totally still a thing, even though any group with even the barest understanding of the rules will actually encounter dealing excessive damage, rather than facing excessive HP!"

You just like the buzzword quality and the negative connotations of the phrase, and your think "google results" are the way to support your argument? lol
>>
>>84507728
If you have to assume bad faith of everyone who disagrees with you, including people who are having discussion that have nothing to do with you, you're the bad faith actor.
>>
>>84507740
>dodges
Nice try. Maybe don't dig up old troll chants if you don't want to be called out on doing so?
>>
>>84493728
5e is relatively simple but much more complicated of a game than most normies are used to. Learning it is the big hump they are willing to get over for the sake of a game, but there is a limit to that effort.
>>
>>84503195
4e or 13th Age
>>
>>84507757
Someone isn't a troll because they're saying things you don't like.
>>
>>84507796
They are a troll for digging up outdated troll chants and imagining they're still relevant, or more correctly not really caring how wrong they are.
Do you trolls really not know how to do anything except try to dodge?
>>
>>84492270
>it's objectively better
>you think it's worse
Have you considered the possibility that you have shit taste?
>>
>>84507807
Calling something outdated does not make it outdated. It applies to 5E harder than it ever did to 4E.
>>
File: hobbit.png (200 KB, 581x517)
200 KB
200 KB PNG
>>84492270
play dugeon crawl classics
>>
>>84507837
>It applies to 5E harder than it ever did to 4E.
>my buzzword which was just a trolls way of saying "I DEMAND PEOPLE TAKE ME SERIOUSLY WHEN I COMPLAIN THAT THE SPECIFIC RATIO OF DAMAGE TO HP IS NOT IDEAL ACCORDING TO MY PERSONAL PREFERENCES IS THE GREATEST CRIME EVER COMMITTED AGAINST HUMANITY" for an edition made over a decade ago, still applies to an edition where damage has escalated to the point where most groups eat through any equal CR enemy with little difficulty, and most DMs have to use monster 2-4 CR above the party level

lol, remember what I said about you being a retarded troll?
play 5e once and you'll realize how retarded you are right now.
>>
File: dungeon crawl classics.jpg (489 KB, 832x1080)
489 KB
489 KB JPG
>>84507895
I would for the art alone.
Also, the might deed of arms, of course.
>>
>>84492270
play a real boardgame instead of make belive
>>
>>84507903
I did play 5E. One of the factors that made me quit in disgust was how retarded monster HP was for anything that was not a 1 HD monster and how low damage was.
>>
>>84507667
Dude, give it up. You lost the argument
>>
>>84501312
4chan
>click a image
it expands the image
>click the link
>it opens the link
>click the reply now
>it opens the thread
>click the number of the post
>it quotes it and starts a reply
>click catalog
>it shows every single active thread on the board
>click index
>it shows a list of the most bumbed thread with their replies

REDDIT
>click link
>it opens some random shit
>click the image
>it opens some random shit
>click the open thread
>IT OPENS SOME RANDOM SHIT
>no catalog
>no reply now
>no easy way of quoting people
>shitty all white design
>needs an acount

face it mate
there is a reason there are over 15 thousand chan clones and only 1 reddit
cause reddit is fucking SHITE
>>
>>84492270
Are you the dnd+ faggot that got trolled for 130 replies in the other thead?
>>
>>84507937
Check the google results yourself, and you'll see exactly the kind of people you were hoping would support your argument.

Though, I get it now. I've replied to you several times, so I guess you can consider yourself a succesful troll.

Just remember: No one can ever take you seriously the moment you say "HP Bloat".
>>
>>84507967
>HP Bloat
>HP Bloat
>HP Bloat
>HP Bloat
sneed
>>
>>84507967
I see nothing wrong with any of the results except for the retard who's inexplicably complaining about HP bloat in OSR systems.
>>
>>84507967
Lmao NTA u deluded faggot
>>
>>84492706
Holy based.
>>
File: dah crypt.png (314 KB, 444x465)
314 KB
314 KB PNG
>>84507919
Yeah, in my opinion the warrior's deed fixes a lot of the scaling problems that the fighter has in 5e. Its a great game.

Y'know if y'all want to see how I GM DCC you aught to check out my show "Crypt of the Dice Gods" tonight at 6pm est on twitch.tv/theliching hour. I have an interesting group of players this week ^_^
>>
>>84508100
No thanks, I hate furries
>>
>>84507903
>3.5 troll
>63 HP which is already twice as much as 2E's 33 HP
>5E troll
>83 HP
Do you hit the troll more often in 5E? No, the ACs are almost the same and 3.5's attack bonuses are higher. Do you do more damage in 5E? No unless you're comparing a martial that spends resources in 5E to one who doesn't in 3.5. That's HP bloat.
>>
>>84508100
I dislike your shilling and the near "owo" construction of your text, but I'll give it a look at least.
Not judging a book by its cover etc etc.
>>
File: sad-cry.gif (451 KB, 220x220)
451 KB
451 KB GIF
>>84508400
Understandable, have a nice day king.
>>
>>84508462
>Do you do more damage in 5E? No
lol who is gonna take you seriously
>>
File: spoopy wizard.jpg (510 KB, 1000x1325)
510 KB
510 KB JPG
>>84508517
Aw thx I appreciate it. I'll try my best to be entertaining. The crypt is a multiplayer rougelike gameshow powered by DCC. It's my baby.
>>
>>84508571
Anyone who isn't retarded.
>>
>>84508462
LOL
Level 10 Warblade with no magic items fighting a stone golem does half of its HP in one turn with two maneuvers and a stance active. Level 10 Battlemaster fighting a stone golem with GWM burning all of their dice on Precision Attack, using Action Surge, and having permanent advantage does under half and has nothing left to spend after one round. Imagine losing a damag race to someone who's missing +5 to hit and damage the game expects them to have and fighting something stronger at the same time. What a piece of shit game.
>>
>>84492270
I don't have a huge problem with d&d but I have enjoyed a ton of other systems as well. Call of Cthulhu is really popular in my group and we switch to it a lot. I recently tried and Savage Lands and really liked it as well. Star without number is also really cool but it fell apart halfway through.
>>
>>84509942
Savage Worlds*
>>
>>84495871
>>84503600
Alright what's a good generalist RPG system besides DnD that doesn't have proprietary dice?
>>
>>84514216
https://ogc.rpglibrary.org/index.php?title=OpenD6

I use this for everything and tailor it to our groups tastes, converting everything from everywhere so really all your stockpiled rpg material is thus still useful. Unlike something like D&D though, this really doesn't make that many assumptions about what your setting will look like or even what the flow of the game at your table might take (turn based dungeon crawling vs episodic sky pirating for example).

It requires a GM and someone who enjoys creating shit and tinkering with mechanics to get the thematic results you are aiming for; for example I use a fate-point nerf and a dueling chart so that melee combats play out more like the duel between obi-wan and anakin that we see in the prequels rather than the two-swing bushido duels produced by the default RaW. Some assembly required but the result is a goldilocks game guaranteed to please you since you are it's architect. Think of it as modules to assemble, dress, and paint as you please.

But that is just MY advice, it is what brought about Zen, Nirvana, for me, table-top wise. Just let go all the bad assumptions D&D has installed in you (why a difference between divine arcane why a difference between paladin cleric wizard etc) and create the thing you love with this simple easy to cobble framework and fret no more about bloated HP or save or suck or any of that.

It worked for me, it might for you, it is the only advice I have for you.
>>
>>84492270
Fuck what the incels on this board say. Play what YOU like to play.
>>
>>84507728
A lot of people are saying it, therefore it's correct. Duh.
>>
>>84494140
But turning people into dinosaurs is based.
>>
>>84494165
Begone, slave. You will never be a real Lord
>>
>>84492304
HYTNPD&D is a response to people bitching about D&D not doing what they want it to do while insisting on using it anyways.
>>
>>84519302
Then why is it spammed in any thread that mentions D&D, even in a positive light?
It's almost like it's a irrelevant catchphrase spammed by retard trolls, and the funny joke is that idiots like yourself actually think you can convince people otherwise.
>>
>>84519332
It isn't. It's literally always in direct response to someone bringing up problems with D&D. The issue is that you don't want a system that does what you want it to do. You want to somehow contort D&D into something it isn't and get mad when people tell you that's a retarded idea.
>>
>>84507958
>ctrl+f "troll"
>23 hits
Yep, it's him. Dude needs to get a thesaurus.

>>84519332
Because it's good advice. Watching you chimp out over it is just a fringe benefit.
>>
>>84495173
>I actually *play games* so the idea of needed a separate set just for one game is dumb
how many non-D&D games use a fucking d12, this is not a real complaint.
>>
>>84492304
False, I play GURPS with my regulars
>>
>>84520162
Anecdotal I'm afraid but based and I don't like gurps. But anyone who can get a game going on nowadays has my utter respect because it's not easy. It never was but it's harder to maintain a decent group now more than ever

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.