[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

>>>IF YOU ARE ASKING A QUESTION, PLEASE SPECIFY WHICH GAME YOU'RE PLAYING<<<

Aerie Faerie Edition

/pfg/ (pathfinder 1e) link repository: https://pastebin.com/RSt0rF0T
/p2g/ (pathfinder 2e) link repository: https://pastebin.com/1zySxwm3
/sfg/ (starfinder) link repository: https://pastebin.com/5yp9s2U3
/3eg/ (D&D 3.X) link repository: https://pastebin.com/VMRsxB2m

The T̶r̶o̶v̶e̶ Vault (seed, please!):
bit<dot>ly/2Y1w4Md

Previous thread: >>84394338
>>
Would appreciate some clarification on this.>>84462091

Monk with Bite attack, does Dragon Ferocity amplify the STR modifier for the bite?
>>
What's the deal with pathfinder? Just look down, there it is! You found the path! Everybody can go home now, we found it!

And don't even get me started on STAR finder!
>>
>>84469611
What about corefinder?
>>
1e. What's the best +4 initiative familiar and why?
>>
>>84469710
Dodo if you want a flanking partner.
Otherwise it depends on what you want from it.
>>
gentlemen how do we save the 2e alchemist
>>
>>84470121
More ingredients per day or more items per ingredients
Actual martial proficiency scaling
Roll the dumb bomber feat taxes into class progression
Unfuck the item DC scaling because it leads to weird powerspikes and troughs
Have more efficient uses of their limited resources; Alchemists have too few resources and too many spare actions, which is an unpleasant inversion of 2e's paradigm. Perpetual Infusions are a shitty replacement for cantrips.
>>
What are some fun builds in 1e that can take advantage of the Elephant in the Room rules? My group is picking it up for our next campaign and I want to do something fun and flavorful.
>>
File: Tyg-Titter-Tut.jpg (98 KB, 899x869)
98 KB
98 KB JPG
>>84469325
Companion.
>>
1e
I'm dumb and bad at charts.
What kind of stat/atk/AC/ect changes happen when Kitsune uses Fox Shape?
>>
>>84470121

Give it the same ability progression profile as the Inventor

level 1
> alchemy formula book
> research field
level 3
> perpetual infusions powerful alchemy
level 5
> Alchemical weapon expertise
level 7
> perpetual potency
> field discovery
> weapon specialization
> iron will
level 9
> double brew
> Alchemical expertise
level 11
> medium armor expertise
> juggernaut
level 13
> alchemical alacrity
> alchemical weapon mastery
> alertness
level 15
> perpetual perfection
> greater field discovery
> greater weapon specialization
level 17
> Alchemical mastery
> evasion
level 19
> light armor mastery
>>
>>84469583
It wouldn't affect natural attacks unless you took Feral Combat Training. "the other attacks" is referring to all unarmed strikes except the first.
>>
>>84469710
Rabbit if you want something cuddly.
Rhamphorhynchus if you want something flying. (The updated version from ultimate wilderness grants +4)
Greensting Scorpion for the absolute best scout. Darkvision, racial bonuses to both perception and stealth, and as it is a vermin familiar you gain a free feat to take whatever when it loses the mindless quality.
>>
>>84470758
You go from medium to tiny. That entails a +2 bonus to attack, a +2 bonus to AC (but not CMD), a -2 penalty to CMD, a +8 bonus to stealth checks, and that you use your Dex mod for Climb and Swim checks. Your reach is also reduced to 0.
Additionally, you gain the "tiny animal" ability score mods from Beast Shape II: +4 bonus to Dexterity, -2 penalty to Strength, and +1 to natural armor.
>>
>>84469080
ah yes, the "baggage" that in my level 1 elf's centuries long lifespan he happened to spend some time fucking slant-eyed whores in the far east and got really fucking high dropping shrooms with those silly little shadow-kikes on a tropical island. truly baggage he will carry with him for the rest of his life, alongside his other trait which is literally just "lmao you're an elf" for +2 initiative via Warrior of Old. it's a good thing he has that trait that is quite literally just elven weapon familiarity but restated over again with a different benefit, otherwise you might forget he knows how to use a bow!
>>
File: FSNTqoDXEAIyXFC.jpg (428 KB, 2314x2635)
428 KB
428 KB JPG
>>84469325
my familiar is a levitating magical nautilus.
what should its name be?
>>
>>84471908
Burt
>>
>>84471858
Leave that shit to previous thread and fuck off
>>
1e

Spiritualist looks quite terrible, is there any way to make it work? It seems like a worse pet class than practically anything that gets an animal companion but I really like the fluff.
>>
>>84471779
Thanks, I'll apply those to my sheet so I can find them when necessary
>>
gentlemen how do we save the 2e warpriest
>>
>>84472140
It is quite terrible for so many reason, and whoever wrote it shamelessly ripped of the summoner.
>Fractured Mind / Priest of the Fallen
Rather than being locked to a single phantom you can now switch it out every single day, and gain the ability to instantly summon a new phantom once per day. So compared to a normal spiritualist you're immensely more flexible and actually get to try out every emotional focus, and have a lifeline available if your phantom ever dies. If you make it to lv 17 you also get two entire domains, which is so strong. Combined with Fractured Mind you are now Cha-based, which has good synergy with the Cha-based channel energy that Priest of the Fallen grants.
You're in a really good spot for a "hangover cleric" build if you choose to go that way.

There's also the Spirit Fuse / Quintessentialist meme builds where you effectively neuter your own character to make the phantom actually proficient in combat. It's pretty fun if you make it work, as you then play as the phantom instead of the spiritualist.

Some people swear by the Phantom Blade archetype, but personally I don't see the appeal. You effectively become a Bladebound Magus but with half the class features. If you feel losing the entire Arcana class feature for another spell list is worthwhile, then go ahead I guess.
>>
>>84472253
Spin it off into its own class or combine it with Inquisitor so that Cleric is the "squishy backline support divine caster" to its "melee-ish semi-martial divine caster", a la Wizard and Magus.
>>
>>84468316
Where is the actual problem dumbass
>>
File: 1631125707181.jpg (119 KB, 730x1095)
119 KB
119 KB JPG
>>84471908
ok i think i got some names
squiggles
wiggles
ruby
roxy
>>
>>84473484
Probably in your brain
>>
>>84471908
Kevin Eleven
>>
>>84474030
Every class that CAN get an AoO already does take it, it is an illusion of choice that massively reduces build diversity. It's literally fucking ivory tower game design, there is no feature in the entire game that gains a character as much immediate potential strength as getting Attack of Opportunity versus not having it. The difference between 3 martials having AoO and whacking an enemy that tries to run past them to the backline or stand up after being knocked prone is ENORMOUS, it is not remotely compatable to "lol +1 on saves against disease" and similar garbage that it's supposed to compete with.
Giving every class that CAN get AoO an AoO will not make the game less mobile, because everyone with any game knowledge already takes it. You're just not fucking over anyone stupid enough not to play a fighter by taxing their feats. If most monsters still don't have it, people can move around just as much as they currently do.

It's literally Power Attack all over again.
>>
>>84472253
Wave casting (keep divine font), full martial proficiency, maybe Channel Smite for free later on (give cloistered cleric Expanded Domain Initiate at the same level to compensate it, maybe).
>>
>>84473546
name him burt you fucking bitch
>>
>>84471908
>nautilus
Nemo, obviously
>>
>>84472435
>>84472140

>whoever wrote is shamelessly ripped off the summoner
you can go ahead and thank Jason "computer mouse weapon cord" Bulmahn for that, shocker that the guy responsible for butchering Occult Adventures is also responsible for shitting up 2e.

If you want to play a Spiritualist I would highly recommend that you instead just play a Death Druid. They get a full progression Phantom and get to be a 9th level caster with the Druid spell list and spontaneous summon conversion in exchange for losing the class features absolutely nobody fucking cares about when they pick Spiritualist.

The Spiritualist's strongest and most attractive feature, the ability to deliver touch spells through the Phantom from 30 (later 50) feet away using the phantom's immediate action, is fully retained by the Druid and as a Death Druid you have way more spells and higher level slots to deliver crippling touch spells from your incorporeal phantom. Pick something like a Lust or Jealousy Phantom, keep it incorporeal, place it somewhere next to enemies with something like Frostbite active so it can threaten and provide flanking and then use Dazzling Display and Antagonize while incorporeal to debuff enemies, annoy them, and make them waste actions swinging at an incorporeal creature. Then you can stand back 30 feet and deliver Bad Touch spells to enemies through your incorporeal phantom without needing to awkwardly send a familiar or get up close and personal yourself. Druid has plenty of good touch spells that can ruin an enemy's day, like Aboleth's Lung to make them drown on dry land, Frigid Touch to no-save Stagger them and prevent full attacks, Rime Spell Frostbite to automatically entangle and fatigue enemies (consider magical lineage: Frostbite to keep it a 1st level slot)

Plus you're still a full druid yourself, although losing wildshape obviously sucks dick and makes you weaker (but still miles better than a real spiritualist)
>>
>>84474768
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIBdpFJyFkc
>>
>>84474645
i dont listen to low effort faggots
>>
File: majenko.png (118 KB, 319x251)
118 KB
118 KB PNG
>>84469325
Majenko is MY familiar and anyone who says otherwise is an alternate multiverse CHUD and probably Chelish also
>>
>>84471590
Thanks Anon.
>>
>>84474411
Has anyone ever asked you to play even once
>>
>>84474411
Fighter being good in 2e has been a monkey’s paw
>>
>>84475385
accusing people of never playing the game is the tabletop equivalent of calling someone an incel, stop being retarded. This might come as a surprise to you but there actually are people who have GM'd and played 2e and don't find it utterly flawless. Making non-fighter martials buy back AoO as a class feat is the definition of ivory tower design.

Let's look at Summoner as an example, at level 6 they have a niche but somewhat flavorful feat choice that potentially opens up a new playstyle called Tandem Strike, where both the Summoner and Eidolon make Melee Strikes but don't count against MAP until after both attacks are rolled. It's a weaker Double Slice that requires you put your squishy Summoner's body into melee range of enemies right next to your Eidolon, but some builds won't mind that and will want to be able to tag team with their eidolon, right?
Except level 6 is also the level at which Eidolon's Opportunity is a choice, giving your Eidolon the Attack of Opportunity feature. This is not an actual choice, Tandem Strike already requires you and your Eidolon to be in melee range to begin with, which means they're also in range for AoOs.
Other level 6 options are even less compelling. Ostentatious Arrival lets you do a little bit of damage when you cast a summon spell, as they appear in an explosion. At 6th level it will do 3d4 damage when you manifest your eidolon or cast a summoning spell without regard for friendly fire. So you need to summon your eidolon directly into melee range to benefit from this, except now that your eidolon is in melee range they can't make AoOs because you don't have Eidolon's Opportunity.

If Eidolon's Opportunity was BASELINE, you would see MORE build variety since people could afford to take wonky niche feats like Tandem Strike, Phase Out, Blood Frenzy, Osentatious Arrival, or an archetype feat instead of 90% of people just taking fucking Attack of Opportunity and the other 10% being filtered by the ivory tower.
>>
>been waiting to play PF2 since launch
>hate full casters, more of a martial or wave caster type of player
>friend finally pitches a one-shot
>the first idea i have that fits the lore of the region is a cleric
>i'm finally playing PF2 after three fucking years and i'm doing it as a class i dislike

being autistic has a few downsides
>>
>>84475644
if you're doing it for lore reasons there's zero reason not to just play as the class you actually want with a blessed one or cleric archetype. there is a mechanical difference between a Fighter with a Cleric archetype versus a Cleric with a Fighter archetype, but in-universe there's no fucking difference and a cleric is a cleric is a cleric.
>>
>>84475680

My autism demands it. Also, our only melee combatant is a newcomer to the system (who made a Swashbuckler with a strength penalty), with the other two as pretty squishy classes; they'll need the heals.

It helps pass the time until the Psychic releases and Inquisitor is announced, but I feel very stupid for not making a Barbarian, Investigator, Magus, Monk, or Ranger.
>>
Is there any way in 2E to share a language with another creature?
Primal Witch with Druid dedication, if it helps.
>>
>>84475715
If you need healing paladin lay on hands shits on cleric early on
>>
>>84474846
Why is it specifically Bulmahn that gets shit on here? If im honest i think there entire design team is pretty shit apart Seifter who had the right level of autism to make ok classes. 2e feels like a miraculous mistake as its a great core system that has been designed for retardedly.
>>
>>84477475
>Why is it specifically Bulmahn that gets shit on here?
Because he is responsible for a lot of stupid shit in 1e and, after being put in charge of 2e, has continued that track record. He is the lead designer, the buck stops with him.

The fact he's annoying and fat and encouraged people to do cringe critical roll wannabe QUIRKY XD LOL characters with shit like Knights of Everflame around the time of 2e's release just makes it easier to dislike the man.
>>
>>84477517
Fair Point. But i can understand Paizo going after the critical role gravy train even when it was never going to happen.
>>
>>84475493
You take tandem strike if you want to play a melee summoner
You take Arrival if you want to make summoning deal damage

Just because AoO is strong doesn't mean everyone takes it every time, and if AoO was baseline people would just take Arrival and say it's the only option.
I'm not saying the system is flawless but you're barking at the wind here.
>>
>>84477604
>if AoO was baseline people would just take Arrival and say it's the only option.
no, they wouldn't, and that's a ridiculous strawman to compare a couple d4 of damage when you do a 3-action activity that you'll do maybe once a combat if at all (who the fuck doesn't begin the fight with their eidolon out????), the main benefit is going to be from using one of your couple of wave caster slots to summon something literally once or twice a day. Comparing that to AoO is insulting.
Summoners have seven level 6 class feats, if Eidolon's Opportunity was baseline you'd see wayyyyyy more variety amongst those choices being picked AND FURTHERMORE you'd see people taking archetype feats at sixth level if none of those interested them because they wouldn't be locked into taking AoO.
Personally I'd love to take Eidolon's Wrath at 6th level for a focus spell AoE but there's no fucking way I'm giving up AoO to do so, the fact you yourself didn't even mention it and assumed everyone would take Ostentatious Arrival already shows that in the absence of Eidolon's Opportunity there's more choice.

Seriously, this is the entire reason behind Elephant in the Room for 1e. Making half the classes spend a class feat on something that shouldn't be optional to forego in the first place is stupid, and directly contributes to why Fighter is so good because not only do they have access to many great combat feats nobody else can easily get, but they also get more of them than anybody else, being given free shield block, free AoO, and multiple bonus class feats they can switch out daily.
>>
>>84477674
>that's a ridiculous strawman
There will always be a best option, not a strawman.

>the fact you yourself didn't even mention it and assumed everyone would take Ostentatious Arrival already shows that in the absence of Eidolon's Opportunity there's more choice.
It only shows I didn't look at the level 6 summoner feats for myself before replying.
>>
>>84477756
AoO isn't just the best option, it's literally 3.5 ivory tower design fucking over anyone dumb or new enough to not take it.I can't think of a single class feat has such an enormous delta between having it versus not having it, "+1 to saves against disease and poison" is not comparable and the fact it's an actual """"choice""" between the two is insulting.

giving to everyone increases build diversity significantly and makes Fighter less of an overpowered special snowflake, there's no downside whatsoever.
>>
File: Yawning2.jpg (309 KB, 849x565)
309 KB
309 KB JPG
>>84477779
>>
>>84477779
Every class should have had a powerful reaction built into there chassis as an untouchable class feature at level 1.
>>
>>84477807
unfortunately it looks like they spent all their time making six champion reactions and fighter AoO and then just fucking gave up when it came time for everyone else.
>>
>>84477831
Not exactly. Every martial class does have some sort of reaction but its a later feat. spellcasters are just shit out of luck because fuck spellcasters apparently.
>>
>>84477856
>Every martial class does have some sort of reaction but its a later feat.
not investigator lmao
fucking bard can get AoO but the sherlock holmes fighter who's all about identifying weaknesses and exploiting openings can't get one. god the APG classes are such a shitshow.
Inventors are a martial class who don't get them either, and of course Alchemists are """"martials"""" forced to fight with bombs or (lmao) mutagens in melee and they're not given AoO or any equivalent.
Gunslingers don't get one either, although as a forced-to-be-ranged class it's not the end of the world since they can just spam Fake Out every round. It does make combination weapon users and Drifter even worse than they already are though, since they have no way of punishing enemies from casting spells in their face or just walking past which feels shitty when it happens.

I don't think there's any other martials I'm forgetting, unless you count something like wildshape druid not getting it as a """"martial"""" which I don't. Then again, if fucking Bards can get AoO I don't see why a druid shapeshifted into a giant dinosaur shouldn't be able to smash somebody trying to cast a spell right in front of him.
>>
>>84477935
Ah shit, i meant to write core. But you are right. I think it would add to the flavour of each class if they had their own thing as a reaction. So fighter has AOO, Champion has its plethora of reactions. rogue gets dodge, Wizard gets a strong counterspell, cleric gets a shield of faith.

Gunslinger does have a reaction. Its leap for cover and eventually leap and fire back which is pretty cool.
>>
>swashbuckler's unique reaction doesn't come online until level 18
>for some reason it doesn't even give them panache even if they do some shit like Goading Feint+Parry Stance+Targeting Finisher (Enfeeble) on a frightened target to enable Opportune Riposte to ever happen
>>
>>84478568
it's especially insulting because swashbuckler in 1e was a class defined by being able to parry and riposte attacks as a way of interacting with enemies during their turn
>>
>check out math picking a random on-level enemy for a swashbuckler
>36 AC+2 from duelist parry
>on-level enemy has +31 on their first hit
>even with the projected setup of goading feint and enfeeble 2 from targeting finisher the enemy still only crit fails on a 1 until debuffs applied by other party members come into effect, pushing it all the way up to a 2 with frightened 1
Man they really did fuck this class. Riposte isn't even a special high-damaging strike or anything, it's just AoO for something that never fucking happens.
>>
>>84478593
Maybe the parry was too overpowered?

I don't think you need the parry portion anyway since Riposte triggers very often due to the attack penalty on the 3rd attack.
>>
>>84478920
>it's just AoO for something that never fucking happens.
I saw some 2e campaign with a bunch of Kobolds attacking the player. On the 3rd attack the Kobolds would always trigger the Ripose.
>>
>>84478936
>Maybe the parry was too overpowered?
Nah, it was actually pretty shit overall. Fun when it worked but not a game changer or anyhting.
>>
>>84479019
Looks like Owlcat dodged a massive bullet by licensing 1e instead of 2e.
>>
File: 1642811587462.jpg (86 KB, 313x313)
86 KB
86 KB JPG
>ordered 2e Core Rulebook online
>it finally arrives
>it's the first printing
>check the errata
>second printing has a huge list of changes
>fml
Maybe if they called new versions of the same book EDITIONS nobody would mistake them. Instead they call completely different books featuring completely different systems "editions" for some godforsaken reason.
>>
>>84477935
Bard can get AoO?
>>
>>84479352
Why didn't you specifically seek out a second printing?
>>
>>84479568
because 95% of retailers have 2nd or 3rd printing unmarked as the only relevant one.
>>
>>84479518
Warrior Bards can get Courageous Opportunity, which triggers off of the usual AoO stuff as well as auditory effects, so long as Inspire Courage is active.
>>
>>84479568
They don't have the info about "printings", only editions. And I got the second edition of Pathfinder.
>>
File: 1650402473683.jpg (10 KB, 287x210)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
>>84479352
>it's the first printing
Heh, that means they haven't even been sold out yet.

At this point 2e will stay a minority in the future, as millions of people will become familiar to 1e via the video games.
>>
>>84480059
Biggest 1e cope ive ever seen. KEK.
>>
>>84480059
>t. le retardo
>>
>>84480488
I'm not wrong though. A million of people learned about 1e within the past handful of years.
>>
>>84480684
What those millions of people found out in the video games was that 1e is such a bloated mess that even a computer has trouble running it.
>>
>>84480751
Are you referring to feat bloat? They only implemented some of the feats.
And the computer doesn't have any problems with rolling dices,it's a trivial thing it can do several billion times a second.
>>
>>84478920
>noob thinks frightened and enfeebled stack
opinion discarded
>>
>>84480837
The fact that it doesnt stack proves his argument further.
>>
>>84478920
I feel like 2e in general is designed so its tough to do anything fancy to an equal or higher levelled enemy. There is a reason most hard encounters are 1 same level enemy and like 3 -1 enemies.
>>
I have a dumb question.

When rolling saves for a monster, does it work the same as it does for a player? Like is it d20+reflex+whatever bonuses or whatever? For some reason I keep seeing people just use a flat 10.
>>
>>84481203
monster rolls have all the normal proficiency / stat bonuses pre-calculated, but you still apply circumstance / bonus / etc as usual. Taking 10 is a house rule.
>>
>>84481459
gotcha.
>>
>>84481203
They're probably just referring to changing the d20 to 10 instead of actually rolling it. The big brain maneuver is to roll a d20, but disregard it and calculate the save on a 10 instead.
>>
>>84481475
That's just fudging rolls and that's just unhealthy for parties above lvl 2.
>>
>>84481498

Would you recommend it for level 1 parties?
>>
>>84477304
Yeah but whats the answer later? I have a party with me as a two hander paladin, a bard, an inventory, a barb and a wizard, and I'm genuinely worried about healing later on. Not out of combat healing really, but in combat worries me quite a bit.
>>
>>84481517
In severe/extreme encounters? Sure. In moderate maybe, depends on the vibe. Not on easier.
>>
>>84481203
If this is about 2e, you may be seeing people talk about checks rolled against reflex DC or the like. 2e doesn't have any contested rolls, meaning you'll never have an attacker roll a d20 and the defender roll a d20 and whoever has the higher check wins; it's only ever one d20 being rolled. So for effects like Trip, where it makes more sense for the attacker to roll than the defender, the attacker rolls Athletics against the defender's Reflex DC, which is 10 + total Reflex bonus. For effects like Fireball, the defender still rolls a full Reflex save against the attacker's spell save DC.
>>
>>84474411
I dunno. I feel AoO on champion is pretty optional. Especially if lean all in to your champion reactions.
>>
>>84481722
Interesting. I didn't see anything like that in the rules. I'll check again. I'm 1 session into 2e with a group that has never played it before so im trying to research whatever I can.
>>
Beyond Gory Finish, other class agnostic ways of speeding up Dazzling Display and not waste an entire turn on it?
>>
>>84481792
There's Dreadful Carnage, but it only works when you reduce an enemy to 0 or less, and you'll need to ask your DM if counts as Dazzling Display for anything that procs off DD. Notably the WotR PC game does count it as DD when combined with the falcata that deals 1d8 sonic damage whenever you DD.
>>
>>84480952
His argument that the people who spend time shitposting about pf2e have never played it?
>>
>>84481722
To add on to this, if you do want to do some sort of contested roll (like an arm wrestling contest), you can have both sides roll Athletics against the other's Athletics DC (or Fort DC). From this you can use the degrees of success on each side to determine progress, and whoever gets say two successes first wins. It works well to simulate the back and forth of that type of contest.

> both succeed or both fail : still even
> A succeeds and B fails : one success to A
> A succeeds and B crit fails : two successes to A
> A crit succeeds and B succeeds : one success to A
> A crit succeeds and B fails : two successes to A
> A crit succeeds and B crit fails : three successes to A
> A fails and B crit fails : one success A
> etc
>>
>>84481753
The lack of contested rolls isn't something 2e ever explicitly says is a design paradigm as far as I know, but it's a pretty prominent pattern in how effects are written.
>>84482044
I think I'd only do this if it were two PCs. Otherwise I'd just give roll priority to the players and make it a single Athletics roll on the player's part.
>>
Continuing on from the undead-wedding last thread, my players have yet to reach that encounter but I realise that two fights isn't enough to pad out a session and that I might need to fix the upstairs of this necromancers tower a bit. To that end I'm enlisting you clever lot once more.

I currently have a botanical floor, a larger space than the tower would otherwise allow but it's fucking magic. Aside from some throwaway encounters with reskinned Leshy's, I'm thinking about the boss, a giant man-eating thingy that I believe ought to be level 5. See pic related. At the top of each round, the beastie will fling out a number of saplings (I'm currently thinking two per player, for twelve in total). These saplings will need to be stomped out by the PCs, or they'll grow into various Leshy's at the end of the round. Moving over a sapling is enough to kill the bud, but not when they come to life. In the room there is also a botanical work station where the necromancer would have tinkered with all sorts of concoctions and reagents derived from the garden, but the PCs can use this to make Crafting checks to produce some sort of herbicide (it needs a better name, please help) that can be fed to the giant plant to deal a fucktonne of damage.

The intent is that the party of six are split up across the room, one group has the Alchemist who ought to be working away at the table, and he should be covered from Leshy attack while the other PCs attack the beast directly.

My questions are:
Does this sound like a decent encounter? The players will be made aware ahead of time that there's a botanical work station there, and hopefully they'll be able to realise that they can use it when the plant demonstrates its willingness to eat anything it can get its tentacles on. I do worry about overwhelming the players with Leshys a bit, but the method of dealing with them is pretty simple.
And finally, what's a better name for the herbicide?
>>
>>84483196
I would add a small bit of challenge to stamping out a bud by making it an Athletics check in addition to the movement to make there be a bit of risk involved. Even if it's just "roll higher than a 5 on the d20" it still gives some level of priority to taking out the trash while working on the rest.
>>
Is Starfinder better than D&D 5e?
Is it worth playing for a light scifi game?
Is the setting any good?
I don't know, what makes SF worth playing over something like 40k Wrath and Glory or Lancer? Or even the FFG Star Wars game?
>>
>>84483316
Yes.
If you liked and played Pathfinder then yes.
If you liked Golarion, but wanted it to be a bit more gonzo and less developed due to being so new then yes.
40k and FFGSW rpgs are very much made to fit the setting and nothing else. Lancer is spelled with a C, except for the art. That's your reason to not play those instead of SF.
>>
>>84483196
Make sure there's a cap (soft or hard) on the number of leshys that can spawn. Extra mobs are fun and add tension but they can also bog down the turn order. Maybe make the baby leshys slow 1, so they either stride-strike, strike-strike, or stride-stride, reducing complexity by a lot. It can be a bit metagaming-prone but I've done fights with "recurring minions" and I just like to revive their tokens in Foundry when they "respawn" so you don't need to constantly fuck around with rolling initiative. Just refill the HP, move it to the new spot, it acts when its previous life would have acted.

The threat to the players depends on how often they'll have to end up close to the death-plant. These are level 2 PCs, or level 3 PCs? It can quickly morph into a death spiral where one person gets grabbed and chomped, then you have less bodies to manage the leshys. A big room makes it easier to mitigate this risk, but there's still a 15-foot radius where they'll have to dance close to it to squash any saplings.

Does this thing have AOO? I think every fight needs some way to burn away the PCs HP, even if they're "playing perfectly." It doesn't have to give them the big spank every time, but it makes PCs strategize about who's willing to dance close to squash the saplings in its reach, cause somebody is going to have to bait the Sweeping Vines. Or is Sweeping Vines that attrition mechanic, because its to hit is really bad there?
>>
>>84483405
Very concise, thanks.
>Lancer is spelled with a C
I don't think I understand, but got it.
>>
>>84483428
Cancer. I don't like the system.
>>
>>84483316
There also isn't really an SF DnD 5E game out, either. The new release, Spelljammer, is space fantasy Sword and Sail in the Sea of Stars.

Starfinder is SF set in a universe that also has magic. It's also a ton of fun, though space combat can feel clunky the first few times.
>>
>>84483443
NTA, but I was thinking it was a classic burger spelling, like Lanser.
>>
>>84481989
I have a table and the way that table has always ran it is individual debuffs stack because that's what made sense to us. So I guess it's wrong since they're all status penalties. Learn something new every day. But I don't think that's going to change the way it's played for us. Immediately shrieking NO GAMES just because someone doesn't use a rule correctly and thinks a printed option is bad is some paizo slurper /pgg/-ass shit for sure.
>>
>>84483316
FWIW Lancer and Genesys/FFG-SW (or even Scum and Villany if you stand FitD) are all very well designed systems that might work for your group. W&G being of the WFRP heritage is boring and unfun.
>>
>>84483259
Makes sense, I think in my head the intent was to have a select few players maybe running around on sapling-stomping duty, but any chance to throw dice is probably a welcome one.
>>84483424
Good call on limiting the amount that can spawn, and I'll definitely do that when it comes to reviving them. The PCs will be level 2, and the Eaten ability is the same as the Ogre Glutton, so a PC can cut their way out or be cut free with a slashing weapon. For the weapons, I was hoping to not just have this thing try to grapple an enemy so it can eat them, so ideally its actions would be one sweeping vine and one teeth attack in that order to offset the MAP as much as possible. We have a liberator Champion and a trip fighter using a polearm, so this way I can target both of them in melee with lighter attacks and not have to be bringing out the big guns for every hit against them.
>>84483689
Can heartily recommend Genesys for a lot of games.
>>
File: PZO9042-Hydra.jpg (164 KB, 1680x1221)
164 KB
164 KB JPG
1e

Anyone have any good ideas for a character for Serpent's Skull? One of the dudes in the party has told me that he's playing "a tanky melee dude" and won't elaborate further, and we have a Life mystery Oracle. My only stipulation is that I kind of hate pet classes so I'd rather not play a ranger or summoner or anything like that unless it's an archetype or build that drops the pet.
>>
>>84484419
Sounds like your party needs something Arcane, maybe a Bard for the skills as well?
>>
>>84484444
Well I think I might consider a skald instead of a bard (mostly because one of my recent characters was a bard and I don't quite want to roll another bard again so soon), but that's not a bad suggestion.
>>
File: Cheliax_flag.jpg (35 KB, 500x435)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
DM wants to run Hell's Vengeance as a side campaign over the summer.

>read the Player's Guide
>"This is v srs evil campaign, play realistic evil, don't be a stupid villain"
fair enough, that's good advice
>read Companion: Cheliax to get a better idea of the setting
>"the government's urban planning policy is to paint everything red and black and cover it in spikes"

Getting a bit of a mixed message here.
>>
File: gn sr6y7.png (1.03 MB, 817x1621)
1.03 MB
1.03 MB PNG
>>84471908
>Prizmos
>Scintillac

>>84469325
>Pervilash
How did a faery dragon get this kinky?
>>
>>84484419
I ran an Investigator VMC Bard when I played through Serpent Skull. Mutagens plus bardic performance plus inspiration were really effective, and the bonuses vs poison were great to have. Extracts also helped for utility.
>>
File: rowship.jpg (51 KB, 700x467)
51 KB
51 KB JPG
>>
>>84483669
You can't call anyone out for /pgg/shit when you're screaming about how you kneel to fighter, that's the lowest hanging fruit people like to pick here.
>>
>>84485459
Speaking as a player that mixed messaging continues, Book 1 when played according to the way the book describes punishes the players for making Lawful Evil decisions, which may color their decisions for the rest of the campaign as they may become gunshy, not knowing when they'll actually be allowed to be bastards without some kind of retribution.
>>
>>84485459
>>84488260
Yeah, that campaign is kind of rarded even on Paizo standards.
I recommend that you decide beforehand if you want to run it with actually evil PCs and rewrite and reward that behavior accordingly, or run it like the usual campaign and tell your players to disregard the whole supposed evil part and play like they want.
>>
https://app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/331831/rise-of-the-runelords-cabal-edition

recruiting
>>
>>84488830
>recruiting
From here? Really?
>>
>>84488963
ah, ye olden days
>>
>>84481876
Yeah I wont have that luck, my GM is pretty rawish and already said "kek no"
>>
File: 1404877084916.png (177 KB, 300x300)
177 KB
177 KB PNG
A way way while back I was contemplating making a sorceress inspired by Frozen's Elsa. A based anon pointed me to an OOP book with a class that is essentially her:

able to summon huge snowstorms and blizzards out of nowhere. I can't remember what it was called though. Any ideas for what it could be? Or what would be a good build for an Elsa? Thanks.
>>
>>84491203

Winterhaunt of Iborighu - frostburn
>>
1e here, I've been looking at rolling a wishcrafter sorcerer since it conceptually seems cool as hell, but I'm stumped when it comes to heart's desire/twisted wish. Are there any spells that actually work well with those features at all?
>>
How much cold resistance you need to survive naked in the snow? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcUdEkPa-2c
>>
>>84491387
Cold Resistance protects from the nonlethal and lethal damage from environmental effects so having 6 points of energy resistance is enough to survive naked, since it does 1d6 damage either every hour or every minute depending on how severe the cold is.
>>
>>84491387
>>84491422
So any Cold Resistance 5 racial trait (tiefling, undine afaik) + the Unscathed magic trait. That gives you res 7.
>https://aonprd.com/TraitDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Unscathed
>>
>>84488830
Not recruiting from here.
>>
File: Towako8.png (473 KB, 710x551)
473 KB
473 KB PNG
>>84491355
I actually played a Wishcrafter Ifrit back in the day in a Way of the Wicked PbP campaign until it imploded at level 8: it was really fun! I think that it's one of the best builds for a Sorcerer in 1e, actually. Get Wildfire Hearth and the alternate racial trait to look human and pick up the human FCB, you are going to leverage those niche spells. More on that below

First things first, you have to work with your GM and make sure that he's going to play ball: if he is going to be an asshole by making enemies completely silent and narrating in third person every single NPC dialogue you are going to have a bad time. Most of the fun/flavour of the archetype is going

>"Well you said you feel cold inside, so now you're self-combusting"

and coming up with creative ways to "grant" wishes. Some good spells to pick up Shadow Evocation/Conjuration, Summon Monster, and good old Baleful Polymorph, versatile spells that can be reasonably applied to different types of wishes. Their true desire is meet someone that really understands them? Bam, have an angry Azata: they have truespeak and high Sense Motive, they understand you perfectly. Illusion spells are very useful too depending on how the wishes are worded.

Keep in mind that the rest of the party has each a wish per day, and talking intelligent familiars/animal companions get one too.

Last but not least, Hearth's Desire has ENORMOUS plot power: snapping your fingers and getting someone's deep true desire can solve quests by themselves. For social/out of combat utility pick Still Spells: you can stock up on utility stuff that will get the verbal component from some schmuck you are talking too, with that Metamagic feat you can cut out the somatic components too.
>>
>>84491355
>>84491805
Oh, right, another thing: you should probably check that you are going to reach high levels if you play a Wishcrafter. Aside from Twisted Wish coming online late, one of the main features of the archetype is picking your extra sorcerer spells but having them be one level lower: you are essentially trading out the first extra spell (extra Cantrip weeeee) and the opportunity cost of getting spells from other lists with being able to have no bad extra spells. That's going to pay dividend mostly down the line, I suggest picking pre-battle buffs and similar with Wishbound Arcana.
>>
File: shell-knuckles.jpg (19 KB, 311x348)
19 KB
19 KB JPG
& shell knuckles
>>
hi guys thanks for the files
>>
>>84494480
no problem boblem
>>
>>84494022
Aren't the bullets facing the wrong direction?
>>
>>84494988
no I think they're just right
>>
>>84494988
Theoretically the force from the gunshot will propel your fist to a higher velocity mid-punch.
Logically you end up with a broken wrist and an unhealthy dose of buckshot.
>>
File: Ironfang Invasion.jpg (1.93 MB, 2345x3045)
1.93 MB
1.93 MB JPG
Paizo 2017
>>
File: 86132276656254.png (765 KB, 1063x991)
765 KB
765 KB PNG
>>84496092
Paizo 2021. Is it progressive?
>>
>>84496102
Paizo can't un-enslave people in the campaign I'm in.
There are elements for and against it, even within the PCs and NPCs, but Paizo aren't included.
>>
>>84496102
Really one of the dumbest things a company has done
>>
>>84496460
They made a public statement that means nothing. It's affecting your brain because you want it to. They have your consent to make you upset.
>>
1e. Got invited to a Giantslayer campaign. Was thinking of playing a Destined Steelblood Half-Orc, roleplaying as one of Halgra's sons. Don't know the rest of the party yet, but I was thinking of playing a crit-fishing tank with a Falchion and Fullplate. Any cool things I can do with this?
>>
>>84494022
There are still stupid people in the future
>>
Minor gripe: I think Young characters and Young versions of creatures should have a higher Charisma than their older counterparts. Having every other stat be lower makes perfect sense, but Charisma is a measure of how easy it is to influence the opinions of others and a young creature is a perfect example of this.

From a Magical perspective it makes sense as well since basically every magic system I can think of that incorporates Bloodline Magic features the trope of "young mages are incredibly powerful but are so unfocused they can't make proper use of their power."
>>
>>84498908
Charisma is also force of personality, young creatures have a less defined sense of self and a weaker identity than older and more experienced ones
>>
>>84496769
That build basically plays itself, but you can add bits at your own leisure. Common ones include cornugon smash, a cruel weapon, and blooded arcane strike combined with riving strike to give enemies a -6 to all saves so your casters can take them out easier. You can swap in shatter defenses as well if you eant to benefit yourself more, with dreadful carnage down the line, keeping half orc's intimidating trait.
>>
>>84499346
Say that again the next time a child is screaming at the top of their lungs about wanting a toy and see how quickly everyone else around reacts either positively or negatively. Children know themselves perfectly well, it's just that what they are is unintelligent and lacking in wisdom, both of which come from age and experience.
>>
Are there any classes/archetypes that support an Int/Cha focus?
Was thinking of building a fancy pants noble type fella, and they'd need to be brainy and good at talkin'.
>>
>>84500556
Bard I guess?
>>
>>84500573
I feel like bards are more a dex/cha or str/cha kinda thing. They don't have enough casting to reliably have a spell for every turn, and that means knowing how to do martial stuff.
And I guess int is kinda there if you want to go MAX BRAIN, but they have bardic knowledge and a billion skill ranks largely so they don't have to bother with more than a 10 int and still do knowledges well.
>>
>>84500596
If it were up to me, they would spam songs and spells every damned turn.
>>
>>84469325
pf1, I want to do a multiclass clocksmith wizard/slayer, is there a way to increase my caster level for crafting constructs without being wizard12 slayerX?
>>
>>84500870
There's a story feat that lets you craft constructs irrespective of caster level, maybe that will work for you?
>>
1e

Is there any way a mounted cavalier will work out in a Serpent's Skull AP run? I just want to, for once, be able to play a cavalier as a horseman with a horse without feeling hampered.
>>
>>84500953
is this the one you meant? it doesn't seem to do that
https://aonprd.com/FeatDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Protector%20of%20the%20People
>>
>>84501048
Small sized rider with medium mount.
Large or bigger mounts are kind of pain in majority of Paizo APs unless your DM just handwaves lots of things.
>>
>>84501048
>as a horseman with a horse
I think you're really fucked in a campaign that boat heavy
>>
1e

I want to torture my DM by forcing him to remember how combat maneuvers work. Which class do I use to achieve this while also having the most fun possible? I know brawler has bonuses to CMB and there are some archetypes for like slayer and all that also have benefits for combat maneuvers. What would you recommend as a fun CMB machine?
>>
>>84503553
Brawler for grappling (make constructed pugilist with Grapnel Arm for extra rules fuckery). Barbarian or Fighter for some fun bull rush/overrun builds. I think monks had the best tricks for tripping and rogues for dirty tricks. Sunder just someone with big adamantite bonk or something.
>>
>>84483585
Starfinder is fantasy in space as well.
>>
File: FSldzQOWYAM2pKa.jpg (294 KB, 1754x2480)
294 KB
294 KB JPG
>>84496102
serious question /pgg/.
why is paizo, the community and company, populated with such complete and utter miserable pussies?
Is the entire seattle area just filled to the brim with 99.99 percentile neurotics?
how do they survive reality?
and how the fuck does a company whos entire product is imagination so completely fearful of ideas that it cannot portray them even in a pretend universe?
DUNGEONS is literally right in the fucking name of this hobby. there is supposed to be dark shit to fight against.
>>
>>84504498
This isn't a Paizo problem. Its happening in most if not all ttrpg communities. The old designers were either already tree faced onions men or are being replaced by younger more politically correct designers. Being emotionally immature and obnoxiously woke is the new norm in these kinds of businesses.
>>
>>84498908
>but Charisma is a measure of how easy it is to influence the opinions of others
Being "charismatic" is about how easy it is for you to influence the opinions of others... in the way you want. Children are extremely shit at this because they're unable to hide their emotions and intentions.

>>84499559
>Say that again the next time a child is screaming at the top of their lungs about wanting a toy and see how quickly everyone else around reacts either positively or negatively.
When was the last time you offered to BUY a toy for the random screaming child in public? Because that's their main goal which they in 98% of cases fail to achieve.
>>
>>84501048
Serpent's Skull involves a fair amount of outdoors play so you should be good. An archetype that favours light/medium armour and either firearms or one-handed weapons rather than the plate-and-lance of the classic cavalier might fit the setting and theme of the AP; Horselord (if you can accept getting little/no benefit from the Desert Mastery ability) and Dune Drifter seem likely possibilities to me.
>>
1e
Are there any easily accessible feats that give you something to do with your Swift action every round as a spellcaster? martials/gishes can grab something like Arcane Strike, but since I spend most turns casting a spell or making a ranged touch attack that's not very useful for me.

I'm a long ways off from being able to Quicken something out every round
>>
need help choosing a build in p2e. party is a gunslinger and a caster and possibly a rogue. should i go heals or frontline? is there a way to reasonably do both?
>>
>>84508081
a champion with lay on hands can have in-combat and out of combat healing while being a good frontliner. It kind of matters who the caster is, which tradition are they? if they're arcane and have no healing versus being a Cleric it matters a lot.
>>
>>84508081
Champion might be the best bet. You don't have much of a frontline unless your gunslinger goes for the melee subclass.
Lay on Hands+Medicine skill is already a decent amount of healing.
>>
>>84491203
Winter Witch archetype
Winter Witch prestige class
>>
1e. Can you use Animate Objects -spell on a corpse?
>>
>>84508081
Champion. You can multiclass a bit to have more healing options too if the party needs it. If your caster is anything but arcane they should be able to grab some healing options.
>>
Trying to play 2 handed smiting paladin in 2e. Not really sure how to best spend my second level. I've been thinking about grabbing desperate prayer for emergencies, but I was also thinking about dipping into Sorc/bard/oracle for Shield cantrip OR Marshall for permament antifear aura and a bit faster intimidate progression. I could probably afford 1 more level later to get a second feat in whatever I pick if I got with one of the dedications, but I don't think I can afford much more than that and still put the character together like I want.

Any thoughts? Party is decently balanced so its more about making my paladin more well rounded.
>>
>>84509380
Yes. It'll look like a zombie, but work just like an animated object.
>>
>>84509447
shield cantrip is once per fight, definitely not worth imo. two-handed paladin is already questionable but it's fine if it fits your concept and you hate the idea of blocking with a shield.
2nd level champion feats are kind of shitty and most are situational oaths, champion feats in general are a bit meh which is why people often just steal their reaction and LoH with an archetype.

I'd recommend Marshal if you don't have a Bard in the party, inspiring is a lot better than dread marshal stance because dread marshal only frightens on a crit versus dirge of doom being automatic. Inspiring marshal gives the +1 outright.
>>
>>84509543
Yeah, but I also figured if I go into the spell casters I can grab some nice stuff like True Strike later. We do have a bard so Marshall is kind of eh, the aura is more for insurance if the bard does something other than sing for a round. Honestly mostly appealing for the flavor and the slightly quicker demoralize progression.
>>
File: 1591259400512.jpg (1.99 MB, 2448x3264)
1.99 MB
1.99 MB JPG
[2E] What's the decent free archetype for a Drifter Gunslinger?
>>
File: General.jpg (132 KB, 820x396)
132 KB
132 KB JPG
I want to make a platemail based fantasy game where the basis is that every class has differing levels of fantastical plate armor. So casters are all in halfplate at the minimum (signifying cloth tier armor), light armor is regular platemail, medium armor is bulkier, slightly more fantastical plate, and heavy plate is chonky oversized high-ish fantasy platemail, shouldpads and everything.

I think that this sense of being in armor doesn't work if I just change the names of the armor types in pf2e because the caster still has 16 AC with 16 dex at level 1 if they pump it. What do you guys think I could solve this problem with? I've considered making it so that dex doesn't boost your AC, its purely the armor value of the tier as well as raising every armor value and increasing enemy to hit rolls accordingly but im not sure.
>>
>>84510108
the flippant answer is "Fighter, with a gunslinger archetype" so you can actually have legendary proficiency with both your melee and ranged attacks when you Stab and Blast."
An actual answer to your question depends on your party composition. Bard archetype is useful on basically anyone because at level 8 you get Inspire Courage and Multifarious Muse gives you the FULL BENEFITS of the second Muse even when you're just an archetype, so you can have lingering composition from Maestro.
Familiar Master gives you a familiar, Beastmaster gives you an animal companion, Undead Master can give you a ghost or zombie. Blessed One gives you focus point healing. If you're fighting in melee with a combination weapon then Mauler might have something for you, but your annoying gunslinger restriction makes the equal scaling feature worthless (which is the reason for the smarmy first response).
Snarecrafter is pretty easy to abuse.
>>
>page 9
>>
Doing 1e WotR and I want to know how I defeat these lousy elemental resists. I want to freeze these fuckers. I see truefrost elixir and a witch prestige class but I'm wondering if there's anything else..
>>
File: 877.gif (3.98 MB, 480x270)
3.98 MB
3.98 MB GIF
>>84501048
You make port often enough that you'll have an opportunity to cause some trouble with your horse. That said, why save your horseman idea for a pirate campaign?
>>
>>84488830
>>84489125
>all those old names
Wow, blast from the past.
>>
Rolled 15, 18, 10, 7, 14, 20 = 84 (6d20)

>>
PaizoCon in two weeks. They'll announce at least one new book, and probably the first AP for 2023, plus show off Dark Archive, Blood Lords, and the Impossible Lands.

Any hopes? Any fears?
>>
>>84515387
>Any hopes?
Better art for Starfinder
Pathfinder Age of Darkness Campaign Setting
Starfinder Boundless Sea Campaign Setting or Shadow Plane Campaign Setting
More Occult or Psionics since, you know, Dreamscarred can be found in the Boneyard
Gamemastery Guide-like book full of variant rules for Starfinder

>Any fears?
PF 3e, SF 2e
Any Rebellion or Free the Slaves adventure
Too much progressive messaging and not enough drug use for Starfinder writers
>>
>>84515387
>hopes
they acquire RFC and Seifter is the system designer again
They demote Bulhman
They will distribute the PF2e Kingmaker port
They hire Mike Shea to redo his books for PF2e
>fears
No SF 2e (and that's certain) or at least Unchained
Nothing happening to their obsolete WWW again
Someone Sage Advices that Wild Charge can't use attacks from Figther / Monk
>>
>>84516507
Wild Form*
>>
>>84470370
More like Tyg Titter SLUT
>>
>>84500556
1e or 2e?
>>
>>84469325
How's 2e Magus? Any good?
>>
>>84518250
4 spells per day.
>>
Is a switchscythe worth spending Unconventional Weaponry on? using a Bloodborne trick weapon sounds fun and you it fits right into a typical double-slice damage build while still having the Grapple trait which seems pretty decent but I don't know how useful actually attempting grapples is versus just using the combat actions that automatically make someone Grabbed.
>>
>>84518250
Tough action economy and issues with enemies with attack of opportunity, I think.
>>
>four feats gives you Master spellcasting and 8th level slots as a martial character with Master or Legendary weapon accuracy
>four feats gives you Expert weapon proficiency as a caster, who ALREADY GOT EXPERT FROM YOUR BASE CLASS
how the fuck did they manage to make pf2e multiclassing just as retarded and unbalanced as Pathfinder Unchained VMC? It's literally the same flaming garbage unequal treatment except inverted, in 1e Martial VMCs were great and often gave you the main class features of many martial classes allowing you to retain full spell progression, while if you were a martial character taking a caster VMC you got a bunch of fucking garbage including wasting a feat for cantrips or orisons.
https://legacy.aonprd.com/unchained/skillsAndOptions/variantMulticlassing.html

2e is literally the same issue all over again. A Fighter with a Wizard Archetype gets Legendary weapons, Martial AC, Master Fort Saves, Master Reflex Saves, Expert Will Saves and Master Perception plus Master Spellcasting, and 8th level slots.
A Wizard with a Fighter Archetype gets Expert Weapons (WHICH THEY ALREADY HAD), Expert AC, Expert Fort Saves, Expert Reflex Saves, Master Will Saves, Expert Perception, and Legendary Spellcasting with 10th level slots. Both classes have invested the same amount of resources and opportunity cost into taking the full dedication, but receive vastly different benefits. Why is it a twelfth level Fighter Archetype feat to get Expert proficiency with martial weapons when even WIZARDS already have Expert proficiency with weapons by 11th level?

I'm not whining that you can't load up on nightsticks and slaughter your way through every monster in the Epic Level Handbook with Divine Metamagic like in 3.5, I just think it's shitty fucking design and is the EXACT SAME ISSUE that Unchained Variant Multiclassing had (which unfairly screwed over martials while benefitting casters immensely). How are they making the exact same mistake? Have they learned nothing?
>>
>>84518869
Spellcasting is the only class feature that matters in 2e, anon.
What did you expect?
>>
>>84518940
if it was the only one that mattered it wouldn't be so easy to steal it
>>
>>84518869
As per the response to the Sixth Pillar archetype, full casters are not meant to get master attacks, ever. The 2e solution to ensure this is to fill the game with content that caters to that concept, but does not fulfill it, to set the standard and make sure nobody accidentally makes something that does.
>>
>>84519444
martials shouldn't be able to go beyond expert in spellcasting then
>>
>>84518250
Good, fun class that has a few issues:
>needs money for both gear and scrolls
>can't use its main feature against AoO-capable enemies
>can and will make the dm seethe when getting a high roll crit against a boss, ending the encounter on the first turn
>>
>>84519939
magus not having 10 hit points per level is fucking stupid, combined with SPELLSTRIKE FUCKING PROVOKING it makes me think Summoner turning out decent was a fucking fluke.

A Summoner casting a 2-action spell like Electric Arc and then using their Eidolon to Strike and then automatically Grab or Knockdown an enemy is a legitimately strong turn that they can do basically at-will, combined with something like plant's constant 15+ foot reach it's like the guy in charge of breaking kneecaps wasn't on duty when that part of the book was being edited
>>
>>84519826
What if I'm a champion and I already go to master on my own?
>>
Why are people so worked up about 2e magus provoking?
Damn near nothing can even OA you.
>>
>>84518250
Lower floor, somewhat high ceiling. There's a lot of action economy jank to deal with, and you need to ration your slots between utility and novas.
A True Striked, spell-slotted Spellstrike does very good damage, but requires 3 actions (4 including your recharge), so you won't do it often. Starlit Span is probably the most straightforward subclass to play because it doesn't need to move between targets, so it can recharge Spellstrike faster.
Taking a cleric (or champion, if you absolutely must) archetype for a 2d6/level focus spell like Fire Ray basically gives you a free top-level spell slot for nova Spellstrikes.
>>
>>84520711
AoO gets unduly focused on, I think. It's more of an insult to injury thing than more serious weaknesses of the class, like its action economy or HP/level.
>>
>>84520711
until you play a campaign where a high percentage of enemies have AoO or make it to high levels and need to constantly deal with it. Plus not being able to know ahead of time means if you're unlucky and a PL+3/4 boss ends up having it you can have zero warning before getting immediately crit to death
>>
>>84520056
The thing about spellstrike provoking is that you know it provokes, so you can have someone else bait it out when you go for the killing blow. I think it's actually a really cool scenario because it forces the party to take some risks and really work together to give the magus both an opening AND as much support as possible to make that 1 hit as big as it can possibly be.
>>
anyone have a link to Legendary Samurai?
Id like to be a minkai weeb
>>
>>84521528
>dude please tank a MAP-free hit for me so I can do a bit more damage than a doubleslice pick fighter
>cool scenario
it doesn't matter WHO gets AoO'd, giving free max-accuracy attacks to enemies is bad. Intentionally triggering one to let the magus spellstrike without getting his shit pushed in is just intentionally playing shitty so he doesn't feel as bad about his poor class. How about NEITHER of you provoke free AoOs????

That's like watching somebody shoot themselves in the foot and then taking the gun and shooting yourself so they don't feel left out.
>>
>>84521795
Isn't Paladin's whole schtick in 2e being a defender and being willing to draw fire to them? That seems like a reasonable scenario for that to happen.
>>
>>84521831
No you retard, because an enemy will always get 3 actions on their turn so a champion using their reaction to punish enemies for hitting someone besides them can play somewhat of a "tank" role, but giving an enemy free AoOs they otherwise wouldn't have is purely a negative. You don't NEED to give people free reaction attacks at max accuracy in the first place, it's an explicit punishment for playing poorly and fucking up by doing greedy shit like spellcasting in melee or trying to walk past someone instead of Step.

Asking your teammates to intentionally misplay and get punished for it so you can use your risky, greedy, poorly designed mechanic that REQUIRES you risk an AoO is shit and if I was playing at a table with someone who asked me to eat an AoO for them every turn so they could spellstrike I'd tell them to fuck off and play starlit span. Champions having +2 AC isn't enough for them to survive provoking an AoO every fucking round especially against a boss.
>>
File: Roll20.png (276 KB, 625x565)
276 KB
276 KB PNG
Can anyone use this image's context to explain the success/failure of Pathfinder (both editions) to me in a way that makes sense?
Obviously D&D has the lion's share of all games, fine.
All Paizo products combined being only 5% of games played though? Seems wrong?
And why do more than twice as many people play the older edition rather than the newer one?
Is the chart just wrong? Does Roll20 not represent a large chunk of the TTRPG player base?
I'm not trying to criticize; I just genuinely don't understand the motivation behind some of these metrics. Maybe I'm overthinking it?
>>
>>84521922
I'm more confused why there's an "other" AND an "uncategorized" section.
>>
>>84521922

D&D 5e is the most popular RPG on the market, make no mistake. However, Roll20 statistics represent only games that take place on Roll20. They do not factor in any games taking place over Discord, over other virtual tabletops (e.g. Foundry, which has top-notch Pathfinder 2e support), and offline.

Roll20 has an extreme amount of support for D&D 5e, and offers a grid-based virtual tabletop. If someone is playing an RPG that Roll20 has no inherent support for, and that does not use a grid, why would they play it over Roll20?
>>
>>84521922
>All Paizo products combined being only 5% of games played though? Seems wrong?
no, that's about right even according to paizo's own official statements. 5e has the overwhelming majority of market share but because tabletop market share ballooned the last few years due to the pandemic and vtt popularity, even 5% is quite successful.
>Does Roll20 not represent a large chunk of the TTRPG player base?
people play 2e on foundry. roll20 is a garbage website with absolutely no redeeming qualities besides "it's free" (if you don't value your time at all) and "it's well known" (because they got lucky and were one of the first vtt websites and have coasted off that ever since)
That being said there's still a lot of people playing 1e for the same reason it was the most played roleplaying game in the world when 4th edition D&D came out, because it appeals to a lot of people's autism and there's a ridiculous amount of content between 3.5 material, Paizo 1st party material, adventure paths, and then third party material like Spheres and Path of War. There's also recent shit like the owlcat kingmaker and wrath of the righteous games doing very well bringing some brand recognition.

Roll20 numbers are worth less than dirt though, it's really not indicative of anything besides what third worlders with no friends are up to
>>
>>84521922
Why is call of cthulu so popular?
>>
>>84522053
because retarded 5e players will try their very best to shoehorn EVERYTHING into 5e and resist playing another system with all their heart, kicking and screaming the entire time.

Call of Cthulhu is so utterly divorced from the gameplay and setting and mechanics of 5e that people are forced to actually look at the system on its own merits and it is given a fair shake, unlike 90% of other RPGs if you say "Let's play Call of Cthulhu!" nobody is fucking retarded enough to suggest "UHHH HURR DURR WHY DON'T WE JUST DO THAT IN 5e!" like they are with every other game. Cthulhu also has enormous name recognition so it's very easy to get new players interested in it, everybody knows what it is and that they're in for some spooky investigation work that will likely end with their character committing suicide in a dirty bathroom or being eaten by tentacle monsters.
>>
>>84521922
>And why do more than twice as many people play the older edition rather than the newer one?
1e got almost all DnD 3.5 players after the release, wherea the second edition is not even closely similar to 3.5 so people just keep playing 1e.
>>
>>84521951
"Uncategorized" and "this niche shit in specific" are different things.
For all they know, those uncategorised games are just more 5e from brainlets who didn't know how the categorization works.
>>
File: chef's kiss.png (472 KB, 613x793)
472 KB
472 KB PNG
>>
>>84522053
>>84522191
Also, Call of Cthulhu is, weirdly enough, incredibly popular in Asia, because it works well for taking the same character between one-shots (much less power growth than D&D, etc) and game culture there leans towards one-shots or brief campaigns that might only last a month or two.
>>
>>84521991
>people play 2e on foundry.

It's hard to overemphasize how sweet a platform Foundry is for PF 2e. As of the latest release it even does stuff like handle True Strike rerolls for you.
>>
>>84521876
>Enemy has a rare ability that counters the magus
>Party formulates a plan to chip away at it until they think the magus can kill it
>Buff magus and debuff boss as much as possible before it
>Champion provokes its only reaction
>Magus dumps everything to make a heroic strike to finish it

Yeah too bad this potentially cool moment for the party isn't optimal gameplay in this literal make believe story game so you lose. Just because it's something that would happen in a fantasy book doesn't mean that you should actually try to do it.
>>
File: 1652128416090 (1).jpg (3.77 MB, 3160x3287)
3.77 MB
3.77 MB JPG
>>84522365
foundry VTT better than Fantasy Grounds Unity?
>>
>>84522747
Does FG automate the effects of buffs, handle system-specific lighting and line of sight rules, and automatically do degrees of success for attacks/saves?
>>
>>84522788
fuck if i know.
>>
how do you make rogues good at making sneak attacks???
>>
>>84521795
>so I can do a bit more damage than a doubleslice pick fighter
A magus burning a spell slot and using True Strike is going to be doing a lot more damage than a dual pick fighter, actually. No, of course it's not sustainable the entire day. It's still good burst damage.
Personally, I'd still favor Starlit Span for this, because burst damage at the start of combat is more useful than damage at the middle/end of it, and Starlit can more reliably open with a True Strike Spellstrike.
>>
>>84522857
1e or 2e?
>>
>>84523030
1e
>>
>>84523210
Melee - get faint as a part of full attack/utilise flanking properly, ranged - saltspray ring+goz mask=total concealment on you for free.
>>
>>84522601
>rare ability
>AoO
lol
lmao even
>>
>>84470121
is alch actually bad?

I plan on playing a ratfolk alch for an upcoming campaign as a support so I'm just curious what are the main issues that people have with an alchemist?
>>
>>84523687
>is alch actually bad?
Worst class in the game.
>>
>>84523210
Focus on flanking and full attacks. Stealth in combat will never be worth it, so don't even try unless you can sidestep the need to hide with invisibility or the like.
>>
>>84522601
>play a bad class that constantly provokes attacks of opportunity
>whine for other players to eat shit in your stead because you're tired of getting sucker punched every time you cast spells in melee combat
>pretend this makes you the epic main character of a book
lmao
getting punched in the mouth every time you cast spells in melee is not the cool heroic moment you think it is. How about you formulate a plan that doesn't involve getting punched in the mouth in the first place fucko? The main character syndrome in your post is out of control.

>No, you NEED to take unnecessary attacks and damage for me so I can look special!
demanding constant babysitting from your allies to the detriment of their own success is not fun or heroic. It's annoying. it makes you a burden. It makes people not want to play with you. Insisting others do it for you is unbelievably entitled. "I'm more important than you are, so intentionally waste your actions doing things to give the enemy a free hit on you so I don't have to be punished" is the kind of thing that gets you thrown down a well.
>>
>>84523687
in 1e alchemists were a 3/4 BAB 2/3 caster with an excellent spell list that didn't actually count as spellcasting in ways that are mostly buffs (no spell failure, standard action summoning, handing infusions to allies and familiars to cast multiple spells per round), good damage via bombs and mutagens, and a billion archetypes allowing them to specialize in any way they wanted, from becoming pouncebeast natural attackers blending enemies in melee combat or being heavy INT-based skill monkeys and focusing on bombs or even being sneak attackers like a rogue.

In 2e you are a vending machine. You are not a spellcaster or spellcaster equivalent. You are not 3/4 BAB equivalent, you have the same accuracy with weapons as a wizard. You produce alchemical items from the same list of alchemical items that everyone has access to from vendors in any settlement. Your elixirs do not replicate the effects of magical spells, you can not toss out preserved specimens to fight for you, going into melee combat is suicidal and natural attacks have no benefit because of 2e's changes meaning even if you have two claws and a bite and a tail attack and six tentacles you can only use one at a time and MAP applies as normal, making it no different from just having a bite or a sword.
All the reasons people liked the 1e alchemist are completely absent from the 2e one. You are not a versatile class that can be played in many different roles and ways, you are ALWAYS a vending machine who cannot effectively use your own items. You are not a 2/3 caster equivalent and Mutagens that turn you into a melee combatant are outright trap options, the subclasses that focus on those are massively detrimental. You have a bunch of feat taxes related to bombs necessary to be still below average compared to anyone else in terms of damage.

It's legitimately insulting that the 1e alchemist was so popular and well received that they """"promoted"""" it to being Core in 2e, only to shit all over it.
>>
File: 1450358566149138162.jpg (914 KB, 1600x1644)
914 KB
914 KB JPG
01000010 01101111 01101111 01101011 00100000 01101111 01100110 00100000 01110100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01000100 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01110000 01100100 01100110 00111111
>>
>>84522340
psst, this is art from Knights of Lastwall.
>>
>>84524521
did paizo hire some of the world of warcraft artists fired from blizzard or something lmao what the fuck is that
>>
>>84524545
Truth be told, I'd like to have fuck with her and I play WoW.

Art is extracted from the pre-order.
>>
>>84522601
AoO is not a rare ability.

Getting someone to bait out an AoO is a fucking stupid idea in 2e.
>>
>>84524506
I haven't found it yet.
>>
>>84524839
I sure wish my DM would have monsters """"bait out""""" my AoO every single round when I play a reach fighter lmao, yes please Stride in a circle around me for a free attack every turn, good job """"""wasting""""" my free damage DM, very strategic :^)
>>
>>84524866
I hadn't seen true malding from my players until they were fighting an intelligent enemy with AOO who was focusing on the squishy backline. The party Fighter, who had relatively full HP, kept trying to bait the AOO so the backline could get away easier and I was just like "He's not paying attention to you dancing around, he doesn't have to use his reaction on inefficient targets."
>>
I'm looking at building a veiled illusionist and I'm wondering what the most beneficial first class would be. Should I go with a wizard for 1st-5th or would I see more benefit out of maybe an arcanist or mesmerist?
>>
>>84524866
>He continues to use his non-fire, non-acid weapon to AoO the troll, allowing the drow assassin to walk right past him killing a different party member each turn.
>>
>>84521876
I built a character in 1e that gains +16AC when getting targeted by AoO attacks while walking around. I doubt it could be built in 2e but the whole point of the character was to waste every opponents AoO every turn and give the party unmitigated actions during our turns. Learned duelist archetype off of fighter prestiged into a Duelist at 11 with high INT and several mobility focused feats and traits.
>>
>>84523687
They have broad utility akin to a caster's, but much less power, generally. Compare mutagens to something like Heroism, which does have its limits, but is overall vastly superior.
In combat, your ability to buff allies is heavily constrained by item interaction rules. If you're lucky, your allies have free hands in their weapon loadouts, so you can hand out items before combat. Afterwards/Otherwise, you need 1 action to take out an item (you might start with 1 or 2 in your hands) and a 2nd one to administer an elixir, with potentially a 3rd (or more) to Stride adjacent to them.
On the bomb side of things, you need Quick Bomber as a feat tax to not need 2 actions per attack, and your to-hit and damage will lag behind normal martials'.
In general, the class suffers both from generally being worse than what casters can do, and from its specialized builds being balanced around it retaining the versatility of having access to all alchemical items, so they're fairly weak. If e.g. mutagenist were locked out of using poisons and non-mutagen elixirs, they might have been able to give its mutagenist features more oomph, rather than it being a faux-martial made of tissue paper.
>>
File: hound archon.png (961 KB, 1134x1200)
961 KB
961 KB PNG
>the best way to bind a summoned Hound Archon to your service is to rescue a stray dog and promise to give it a good home
I don't know why, but that is just about the most adorable thing in the game to me.
>>
My god, fuck this fuckin' PF1e discord server I just joined. Aurelian if anyone is curious.

Fuckin' stupid ass server is Gestalt. But Monk/Kineticist is banned?! WTF?! Huge red flag there.

Nothing about Wizard/Cleric/Druid being banned at all? Wanna be a Barbarian/Wizard, cool. Go right ahead. But don't you dare put Monk and Kineticist together!! Two of the fucking weakest classes and these retard motherfuckers ban this shit.

Yes I'm want to have weeb fun. Just fuckin' let me be a Super Saiyan waifu, damn!
>>
>>84527085
Wait, what?
>>
>>84527679
When you cast Planar Ally, you have to make a special offering to it in addition to the cash money required for the spell, one that matches up with the alignment and goals of that particular "species" of outsider. Chronicle of the Righteous lists the preferred offerings of good outsiders (I don't think there's an equivalent for evil outsiders) which grant a bonus on binding them to your service. It could be a specific item gifted to the being, or a service to be performed in the cause of Good. The preferred offering of a Hound Archon is, and I quote, "A stray dog, rescued from the street and cleaned and fed, along with a promise to find a permanent, safe home for the stray after the summoning."
>>
>>84527780
I just checked, and yes, there is an equivalent for evil outsiders. A dretch will easily agree to aid the summoner if it's allowed to spend at least a third of its time in the Material realm on break, while a bearded devil responds most readily to a live and restrained victim for it to torment.
>>
File: savageworldpf.jpg (86 KB, 549x834)
86 KB
86 KB JPG
>>84469325
Anyone tried out the Savage World version of Pathfinder? I was thinking about about picking it up.
>>
File: 1635428407841.jpg (53 KB, 684x333)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
>>84469325
Desperate for (you)s. Anyone here know any sources for scaling feats that isn't D&D wiki? at this point I'm not even sure if I mind paying. 3.x had the races of war and tome feats, but theres a huge gap where I actually need feats. If it's not OGL though, I'm completely jewed out of my product identity by license requirements.
>>
>>84522747
Neither, use maptool
>>
>>84522053
Japan strong.
>>
File: Serpentfolk.png (233 KB, 452x640)
233 KB
233 KB PNG
What would you say are the strenghts and weaknesses of both pf1 and pf2?
>>
File: IMG_20220515_135858.jpg (5.29 MB, 4032x3024)
5.29 MB
5.29 MB JPG
1e

My brother boght me this 3.0 book for my birthday, obviously 3rd party. It should be compatible with pf1, right? And if anyone has used or knows about it, what do you think of it? Is it good or is it trash?
>>
File: EvWZlx3VoAEJRDW.jpg (1.82 MB, 1556x2200)
1.82 MB
1.82 MB JPG
>>84529384
if it exists in anime, you can probably make it in Pathfinder 1e.
>>
So is 2E good yet, or is it just a worse 1E with less content?
>>
File: oy vey.png (679 KB, 710x946)
679 KB
679 KB PNG
Just read through half of the new book. I don't mind all of that faggot or bipoc representation (see >>84522340 ) but they're doubling down on the retarded wheelchair bound melee knights and other fighters. No, they couldn't be spellcasters or other shit like alchemists. And those specific art pieces are of shit quality, see picrel.

It's otherwise a nifty book.
>>
File: they them army.png (457 KB, 720x900)
457 KB
457 KB PNG
>>84530107
It's a much better 1E with less content.
>>84530115
cont'd
>>
File: 1647101706804.png (216 KB, 500x500)
216 KB
216 KB PNG
>>84530154
I'll try giving it a checking out then, I read all sorts of 1E related books, and assorted content, but never got around to actually playing it in tabletop, so if 2E where most people are moving on to, gonna torrent some of their books.

And lmao, so what exactly happens if you knock them out of the chair, or there's stairs, or worse yet, you set their little mount aflame?
>>
>>84530258
If it's like 5e, you can't throw them out the chair or damage it, and for god knows why, it's literally better than walk.
>>
>>84530283
Clearly, this calls for house rules, you can use the super wheelchair, but all of the innate protections and enhanced mobility are gone. In addition, in the case of having oil, or any other flammable liquid striking you while mounted, roll a 6D, 5 and 6 lead to the liquid settling in the chair, forcing extra damage it's extinguished, or the character leaves the chair.
>>
>>84527598
>But Monk/Kineticist is banned?! WTF?!
I guess it must be the one ran by TardGM
>>
>>84530115
Why can't the people that come up with these leg assistance shit can't come up with anything better than wheelchairs? Not like, mage hand-derrivative invisible legs? Antigravity magic belts? A fucking weirdo harness? Fantastical mobility devices of any kind?
>>
>>84531157
Muh representation, muh I can't enjoy a thing unless it's exactly like real world thing but "better/inclusive", and muh "struggle" means I'm morally superior in all ways
>>
File: gircon-d2-4k.jpg (335 KB, 1920x1459)
335 KB
335 KB JPG
>>84531188
I honestly think including disabled characters can be interesting for storytelling reasons, but just including a regular real-world wheelchair is fucking BORING. give them cool and fantastical shit like literally the rest of the setting.
>>
>>84531254
NTA but that reminds me of the Wild Wild West movie, where the producer finally got his "giant spider robot" fetish inserted.
>>
>>84530115
>>84530154
>wheelchair warriors
>>
What classes are fun for strength of thousands
>>
>>84532224
Superstition barbarian.
>>
>>84530775
>I guess it must be the one ran by TardGM
Oh shit, this mf is infamous?
>>
>>84530115
For low level paraplegics, the wheels are mostly OK I guess, but at a certain level, I just don't see how serious magic isn't expected

Why not make an enchantment for armor that essentially works like animated armors and dancing weapons. For so many hours per day, the bottom half of the armor just lets you move like working body parts.

Starfinder is the one that gets me. That fuckin Precog iconic riding on the rocket powered boulder.

For SF, if I wanted to make an "different" character that was disabled like that, I would've given her powered armor that she uses to walk. Or at least just the lower half of the powered armor. That sounds so much better than rocket boulder with seatbelt straps.
>>
>release Fists of the Ruby Phoenix
>tiny island where you trip over an unavoidable fight every time you do anything
>fights take place in dedicated arenas and face-to-face
>the solution is literally always a punchout
>cheesing stuff, using noncombat solutions, lying and deceit are all off the table because you're bound by rules and followed around by an ingame rules lawyer who is the only source of rewards
>if you try to ditch your rules lawyer you are disqualified from the campaign
>call it an "Adventure"
>>
>>84530115
>>84530154
Here's what I don't get. Why are they in normal ass leg armor? "You need to protect your legs!" Then put a fucking cover on the wheelchair, so that only their torso is exposed. Put a hinge on it for when they need to get out of the wheelchair. At least have an ounce of creativity, you fucking hacks. God, I hate this so much.
>>
File: Stitches.jpg (6 KB, 100x100)
6 KB
6 KB JPG
Struggling to refine a puzzle/encounter for a Necromancers tower. The players will have fought their way through an undead wedding being hosted on the ground floor and a botanical garden. Currently I'm set on including a Frankenstein's monster lab, where the amateur necromancer tries to build flesh golems. The actual lab itself will have an array of machines hooked up to lightning rods on the exterior of the tower. There'll also be a severed Trolls head, kept alive in a tank of not-bacta gel and hooked up to a machine. The exit to the room is mechanically locked, but also connected to the machinery within the room. The crux of the encounter is to cause a power surge that will open the door.

An idea I toyed with was a number of zombies serving as hosts for flesh grafts, one has a huge troll-arm, another has a monstrously large foot etc, these would have to be tracked down and slain, the grafts removed and then put back on the troll to allow it to recover. Once the troll is roughly assembled, a lever can be thrown that will heal the troll and cause a power surge. This is more of a the "help the troll" idea, and as such the troll is highly unlikely to be hostile, dimly thanking the PCs. The puzzle element here would perhaps be identifying the troll extremities as opposed to things belonging to other creatures and monsters that have also been thrown into the necromancers golem-blender.

About the room there'd also be conductor pads for the lightning rods, and these would fire at the start of every round, zapping whatever is stood on that tile. It'd hurt PCs and regular zombies, but those that are hooked up with ~science gizmos~ might become supercharged or something.

I feel like it's a decent premise for an encounter, but it lacks something. There's no ticking clock, just swathes of zombies and some light puzzling of "is this an ogre leg or a troll leg?" What can I add or change?
>>
How do you round out a party composed of a fighter, an oracle/gunslinger, and a paladin? Some sort of alchemist? I'm joining a group as the last man and I'm struggling with what to pick up.
>>
We've taken to insulting a female wererat with sending once a day, i'd appreciate some ideas for short insulting messages to ruin the dumb cunt's day.
>>
>>84534598
Sorry, should have specified 1e.
>>
>>84534598
I'd pick a full arcane spellcaster, wizard/sorc/arcanist, whatever floats your boat.
>>
>>84534554
Depending on the morale of your players, you may have to provide some sort of implicit incentive for them to bother trying to help the troll in the first place, as many players (at least from my experience) won't bother because they think that even if they help the troll it's basically a man eating monster that should be dead anyway, so if they saw the head in the vat they'd sooner cut the cord rather than put it back together.
>>
>>84534681
Makes sense. I was planning on having the troll be reasonably intelligent, as I'd like to use it as a recurring NPC to set up an adventure in a poison swamp later. Could I just have the troll blurt out (in slightly broken english) "Adventurers, if you can rebuild my body, you just might short circuit everything in this room including the door forwards!"?
>>
>>84534748
Maybe a bit less eloquently put but yes that should be sufficient reward to at least make them consider it.
>>
File: pwbaxbisf0x71.png (3.06 MB, 2000x1346)
3.06 MB
3.06 MB PNG
>>84531254
The legchair companion is really the best take on the idea in PF. It's a weird Baba Yaga style monstrosity in the shape of a chair that you ride around on, you can get it on any character with the Beastmaster archetype, and it gives some distinctive mechanical effects like faster movement and cover benefits.

>>84534632
>>84534598
Yeah, full caster is the way to go there. Focus on debuffs and control effects - remember that every -1 to AC is also a +10% chance for the already-high crit rates of the fighter and gunslinger.
>>
File: 106.jpg (157 KB, 1148x1042)
157 KB
157 KB JPG
Pathfinder question.

Is there an amazon equivalent in Golarion? Speaking now to the race and or tribe of warrior women, not the megacorp. I'd like to know if there's a group that resembles amazons -- Greek, WF-SA style, generic fantasy, whatever -- in Golarion. If not, where do you think such a group would make the most sense to exist? Could such a group exist or do you think the lore is such that a society of amazons couldn't exist.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.
>>
>>84534554
Maybe add a room off to the side that has some sort of flesh eater? Hearing the PCs enter, it tries it's best to break free, and dine on their more ideal warm flesh. So if they take too long, they have to deal with some sort of dangerous beast, or maybe an ooze on top of the zombies. That being said, knowing PCs, they'll be draw to any sort of extra danger, than a puzzle
>>
>>84534554
>I feel like it's a decent premise for an encounter, but it lacks something. There's no ticking clock, just swathes of zombies and some light puzzling of "is this an ogre leg or a troll leg?" What can I add or change?
Is this a problem, necessarily? If this is after the Undead Wedding (high complexity, high "investment" in the enemy detail) and the Botanical Garden (low investment but still high complexity), maybe you just need a simple encounter, especially if they still have to fight the Necromancer! "Fucktons of enemies" is a quality all on its own, especially if your PCs have AOE abilities that feel awesome to max out the targets on.

My rough sketch for a low brain power encounter
>Path forward is blocked by an electric barrier of some sorts
>Room has multiple electrodes coil things that are obviously powering the barrier
>Room is full of Franken-electro-zombies
>Whenever a Zombie is killed, its shocked back to life, discharging some of the electrodes and weakening the barrier
>PCs can also just smack the electrodes, shocking them but also discharging the barrier
>PCs have to grind through enough zombies to discharge the barrier, break the electrodes, or find a way to sabotage the barrier

But maybe the Botanical Garden also fills this roll of fucktons of enemies, and you want something more cerebral and interactive for the party nerds, because the Botanical Garden got the jocks to have fun running around kicking plants. Not sure.
>>
File: greta_3.jpg (114 KB, 739x1190)
114 KB
114 KB JPG
>>84534979
There werewolf ladies up in the north west. Greta being great.
>>
how do gnomes survive getting pounded raw by medium and large size men?
>>
>>84535407
Not everyone is into titlets, anon.
>>
File: reign_of_winter_greta.png (629 KB, 2266x1184)
629 KB
629 KB PNG
>>84535260
>>
Anyone knows where can I get the Owtlaws of Alkenstars pdfs? fucking paizo tried to pull a fast one by upping the price of the thing after I logged in, I'm not buying anything of this fucking company
>>
Pathfinder 1e, how would you say that Brilliant Energy weapons interact vs someone under the effect of a Statue spell?

Brilliant Energy:
>A brilliant energy weapon ignores nonliving matter.
>A brilliant energy weapon cannot harm undead, constructs, or objects.

Statue:
>A statue spell turns the subject to solid stone, along with any garments and equipment worn or carried.
>Feeling is limited to those sensations that can affect the granite-hard substance of the individual’s body.
>The subject of a statue spell can return to its normal state, act, and then return instantly to the statue state (a free action) if it so desires as long as the spell duration is in effect.

I would argue that being made of "solid stone" is the definition of non-living matter and that a Brilliant Energy weapon would do nothing, but my DM says you would still get hurt because "you are a living being in the form of a statue", even though your entire body is made of stone in that moment.
>>
>>84536269
I'm with you on this one.
>>
>>84536269
You gain Hardness 8 just like normal stone, that makes you immune to Brilliant Energy in my book.
>>
2e: has there been a consensus on Wild Shaping Druids using Free Archetype Fighter / Monk CMB's?
>>
>>84536435
I mean combat maneuvers/kata, or whatever the special Activities that they get are named.
>>
Pathfinder 1e: what are you favorite gestalts and why are they your favorites?
>>
File: hm.jpg (103 KB, 1242x1212)
103 KB
103 KB JPG
>>84524839
>>84523558
What the fuck are you talking about? MAYBE 10% of creatures get AoOs beyond level 11+, and before that it's like 5% on average, going even lower as you scale back in level.
>>
>>84536869
Nethys Search lists 1458 entries for non-unique, non-rare creatures. Of them, 183 have AOO (~12%). For creatures of 6th-10th level, it's 62 in 433 (~14%). For creatures of 11th level or higher, its 74 in 312 (~24%).
>>
>>84536945
For comparison, 597 creatures have some sort of spellcasting (41%), with 179 in tier 2 (~41%) and 210 in tier 3+4 (67%). This includes creatures that have any amount of utility casting, like how many fiends can cast Dimension Door even if you wouldn't call them a "caster".
>>
I stopped paying attention to Paizo stuff roughly three years ago, due to just getting fed up with how Paizo was screwing everything up, including how they botches Starfinder's setup and structure.

Have things improved in the intervening years, either for Pathfinder or Starfinder?
>>
>>84537490
ahahaha
>>
I'm joining a 2E game but I've literally never played 3E, PF, or PF2E in my life. What can I expect? And how hard is it to fuck up and build an ineffective character?
>>
>>84537597
Easy steps to not being bad at PF2e
>Don't be a Witch, Oracle, or Alchemist. These classes are weak.
>Optionally, also don't be a Swashbuckler, Gunslinger, or Summoner. These classes aren't super weak but are more finicky.
>Make sure you start with 18 in whatever your class's main stat is.
>Make sure your Dexterity, class, and armor line up properly. Heavier armor means you need less Dexterity. You should always be getting 5 AC from your starting armor unless you're an ultra-squishy wizard.
>If you're a melee character, pick a good weapon. d8 single hand, and d10 or d12 two hand. If you're a caster, take Electric Arc as a cantrip if you can.
>Work with your team. 2e is a team sport, and involves everyone contributing to weakening enemies and running interference.

Long term goals:
>Eventually, find something to do with your third action on each turn. Demoralize, Bon Mot, and Raising Shield are good starting points, but it can also be something like Commanding your Animal Companion.
>Don't pick obviously stupid spells and feats. Most good feats are obviously good. Most bad feats are obviously bad. Don't waste valuable slots on Dandy Dedication.
>Find something to do with your reaction. For casters this is often very difficult, but all martials can get some form of Attack of Opportunity. Take it as soon as you can.
>>
>>84537490
1e. Still dropped by Paizo so no changes. Legendary Games is making Corefinder though, which could end up interesting.
2e. Some errata but no big changes. Paizo doubling down on the stupid parts of the system.
SF. Paizo focusing on spamming out more content (races, classes, spells, gear, ect). Has not touched on the stupid parts of the core rulebook though, so you will have to fix that by yourself.
>>
>>84537575
>>84537671
About what I expected, then. I'll look into Corefinder. Thanks for filling me in.
>>
>>84537597
Make sure to insert your fetish into your character if you can, and hog as much as the spotlight as you can. The DM worked some lead in for another party member's backstory? Impose your will on them, and flop your dick and or cunt in the way.
>>
>>84537597
For PF2e all you have to do is make sure you're starting with an 18 in your main offensive stat. Specifically for the classes that can't (warpriest, alchemist, investigator, inventor) a 16 in str/dex is fine, but beyond this it's basically impossible to truly pick something ineffective. It also helps to have a thing you can do on your turn that doesn't have the Attack trait, such as Demoralize, Feint, Bon Mot, Raise a Shield, casting Guidance or Shield, being good at Aid, etcetera. Debuffs and buffs are very strong. If you know nobody in the party has a source of inexhaustable out-of-combat healing (Medicine, Lay on Hands, Healing Mist, Life Hex etc) bringing one of those will make you the MVP.

As for what to expect, it obviously depends on the guy running it, but you can usually expect a combat-centric war-boardgamey experience where you're generally expected to be pretty by-the-books rather than freeform. The game's called Mathfinder for a reason too, it helps to create a cheatsheet for your various bonuses to have at a glance rather than having to look around for it.
>>
>>84535427
>>84535260
A woman like this would never get made in modern Golarion
>>
>>84536435
>>84536457
Battle forms tend to specify that the attacks they give you are the only ones you can make (most likely they should say "only Strikes you can make" since RAW you can't use Athletics maneuvers or Escape). So monk stuff is off the table.
Unarmed attacks are not weapons, so any fighter feat that requires a weapon Strike will not work, but there are a good number that don't.
You might have some fun at 10th level by snagging Flurry of Blows from the monk archetype, though.
>>
>>84538108
>or Escape
>get critically grappled/restrained by a golem or something while in cobra stance
>just have to stand there being held in place until you die of deprivation because there isn't actually a means of dropping out of a stance besides being knocked unconscious, the encounter ending, entering a different stance, or violating the requirements
>the only escape is having a build that also has a stance that allows you to make non-stance attacks
>>
>>84537667
>>84537709
Thanks anons.

>>84537708
I'm not playing that kind of game...
>>
>>84538197
Monk stances specify that
>While in this stance, the only Strikes you can make are X unarmed attacks.
permitting you to use maneuvers and Escape. On the other hand, battle forms have the line
>One or more unarmed melee attacks specific to the battle form you choose, which are the only attacks you can use.
Thus RAW blocking off maneuvers and Escape. As far as I know, these forms are always finite in duration, so you don't have the risk of Golem hug starvation.

That said, this RAW reading is stupid as fuck.
>>
>>84527598
Get out while you can, one of the GMs is like 16 and throws a temper tantrum at everyone who disagrees with them. They also rule that the positive energy plane overhealing makes you explode thing applies anywhere, so if a 1 HD commoner is bleeding out you gotta let him die since a 5th level cleric has a non-zero chance of just making the GM go "lol xd he blowed up!!"
>>
>>84527598
>Monk/Kineticist
That's an obvious thematic pairing, though. It's not like its mechanically OP or anything either.
>>
Why yes, I'm going to play a Leshy, and yes, it's a cute pinecone druid.
>>
>>84538535
>That's an obvious thematic pairing, though. It's not like its mechanically OP or anything either.
Yes, I want to punch and kick things, fly, and blast people when they are too far away. Could've done a stupid Fighter/Wizard or Fighter/Cleric. Didn't choose a CoDzilla, just simple unarmed and energy blasting style
>>
>>84538497
You talking about No13?
>>
New thread:

>>84539155
>>84539155
>>84539155
>>
>>84535407
>survive
why?
>>
>>84537667
NTA, BTW
>>Don't be a Witch, Oracle, or Alchemist. These classes are weak.
I'm playing a Wild Witch, another player is playing a Chirurgeon Alchemist. The Alchemist gets plenty of downtime due to travel taking days to weeks to get anywhere by ship, and I'm doing fine with my heals and utility.
>>Optionally, also don't be a Swashbuckler, Gunslinger, or Summoner. These classes aren't super weak but are more finicky.
Another is a Swashbuckler, and he doesn't seem weak.
>>Don't waste valuable slots on Dandy Dedication.
The party face is a Rogue who has the Dandy, Loremaster, and Soulforger dedications, and they're doing fine. I don't know what their plan was but they seem to.

I suppose my party has failed successfully?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.