[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Romantic Edition

>New Errata
https://dnd.wizards.com/dndstudioblog/sage-advice-book-updates

>UA: Travelers of the Multiverse
https://media.wizards.com/2021/dnd/downloads/UA2021_TravelersoftheMultiverse.pdf

>5etools
https://5e.tools/

>Trove
The T̶r̶o̶v̶e̶ Vault (seed, please!):
bit<dot>ly/2Y1w4Md

>Resources:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread: >>82982808

Would you marry a Tortle?
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (20 KB, 480x360)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
>>82990318
Only if they looked like this.
>>
>>82990244
I use a more granular death save system. One save, 1d20.
>1
You're dead, get to rolling that new character.
>2-5
You're unconscious and not stable. Another hit and you die. Any spell that restores HP cast under 5th level only stabilizes you. If the spell is 5th or higher, the only actions you can take for the rest of the fight are the Dodge, Hide, and Help actions even if you somehow gain more HP.
>6-10
Same as 2-5, but if you get healed with a spell cast at 5th or higher you get back up and into the fight as normal with the exception you have disadvantage on all your attack rolls for the rest of the fight.
>11-19
You're conscious but out of the fight. Any healing magic will bring you back into the fight as normal.
>20 before any modifiers aka Natural 20
You get back up with 1 HP and no other negative effects.

Healing Potions cannot revive downed players; the source of healing must be a Spell OR a Healer's Kit with the Healer Feat.

I feel this strikes a good balance between lethality and someone not sitting there with their thumb up their ass. If you want to bring someone back into the fight, you need to burn higher level spell slots unless they also roll at least a "success" on a normal death save.

On top of this, Healing Potions require being ordered and also take a full week to be finished by whoever you ordered them from. You're also limited to one per person at a time.

I'm not too bothered about resurrection spells because you can't just walk into fantasy wal-mart and buy the diamonds you need to cast resurrection spells, you have to go find them or do something for someone to get them.
>>
Shit TQ but it did remind me of that one time our party Cleric had a one-night stand with a Tortle (he loves all of the gods' creations etc etc), and several scenes were dedicated to describing him sloooowlyyy leaving the taaaveeerrrnnn and taaakkiiing heerrr baaack to the iiinnnn, etc etc

A sensible chuckle
>>
>>82990366
"You're dead, rerolling!"

No, that is shitty, might as well allow the character to revive somehow at that point.

If your character dies, and cannot come back. You quit the game. The party must complete the journey WITHOUT you. That is the only way to play.
>>
>>82990366
I found the diamond chokehold to not work well. it's weird to contrive in most settings why you can't just buy diamonds. Why wouldn't people be stocking diamonds? And revivify only needs diamond dust, not even big diamonds. So choke holding on like 150g feels weird as hell.
>>
>>82990348
Leo’s got a nice rack
>>
>>82990386
Goddammit are you just power trip anon taking a new angle? Shut the fuck up. If you wanna leave your games fine but that often cripples groups both in and out of game.
>>
>>82990403
Death has to have consequences, and players don't always 'win the story'.

I consider killing off players bad storytelling, as there is no character growth.
>>
>>82990395
The diamonds used for resurrection magic are especially pure and hard to come by.
>>
>>82990366
Do you at least make healing potions a BA to use? Because if they're still an action, take an entire week for just 1 and you can only ever have one they sound abysmal and never worth the effort
>>
>>82990421
Yeah like I said, it doesn't feel good in world to be stuck on this. Nothing really epic or engaging about all the diamonds suddenly not working except the special diamonds your DM tells you to go quest for.
I mean it's fine maybe once, but ehhhh. I wouldn't recommend after doing a campaign of diamond hunting.
>>
>>82990356
Sorc will be level 9, will have 60~ HP, but can do a good chunk of damage with Lightning Bolt or GFB. Very much glass cannony character, so I guess something that can take a solid couple hits to drain a few resources but doesn't outright knock her the fuck out. I had my eye on a Vrock for a while just cause a flying creature will require ranged attacks, so either she takes the time (and therefore health) to whittle away with cantrips, or burns a slot or two

The Druid's getting a Barlgura because monke
>>
>>82990438
Vrocks are pretty cool, but that fucker has a stun too, so there's a good chance your Sorc just loses the coin flip and dies.
>>
>>82990422
I make them an item interaction to use, and players can toss each other potions as an item interaction during a fight (though it would be two Sleight of hand checks if they actually tossed them, but passing when adjacent isn't a check) so while each player can only order one the party of 5 can have up to 5 between them. I also let them order other brews such as bottles of acid or alchemist's fire, that sort of thing. The item thing is something I've had as a houserule since I first played 5e and the GM did that.

>>82990431
They're not just any old diamonds, and deaths aren't common enough in my games (haven't had one yet anyway, though I've come close a few times by sheer accident) for it to be a problem. The party's competent enough that if anyone dies it probably will be a one or two time thing at most. I don't aim for high lethality, just less "lol you can sit there for 6 rounds bleeding out" than normal 5e.
>>
File: Rich turtle.png (1.47 MB, 1200x801)
1.47 MB
1.47 MB PNG
>>82990318
>Would you marry a Tortle?
That solely depends on a dowry.
>>
>>82990421
That sounds pretty retarded.

Anyways, if my character died and I couldn't come back I just would quit the game until the GM started a new one.
>>
>>82990463
I suppose if it doesn't come up often
>bleeding out for 6 rounds
Yeah the yo-yo can get pretty extreme, but I don't fuck with it much because combat is balanced around it for the most part, so it's easier to do meta balance on death imo. Also in tough fights when things are grim, enemies will just double tap you, so in the wrong situation you'll only be bleeding out for one round or less and then you're fucking dead.
>>
>>82990463
>I make them an item interaction to use, and players can toss each other potions as an item interaction during a fight
That sounds pretty alright then, encourages some team work and positioning considerations at the very least
>>
>>82990395
If diamonds can literally undo most deaths, surely there are people more wealthy than the party who would hoard them. I put diamonds in treasure caches and sometimes close friends of the party can source them (fences, traders, etc). But they always say “you didn’t get this from me” or “don’t let the Templars catch you with those”
>>
Playing Frostmaiden, and my character has a helmet that lets him detect thoughts. We're currently standing in front of Auril in her lair on the island, and she wants us to go. Should I try and read her mind on the way out, or will doing so to a god melt my puny mortal brain?
>>
>sick kid can't be healed
>parents pray to old god of the forrest
>get healed and weird powers
Race/Class combos for this idea?
>>
>>82990528
Do it and let your DM make that call, it would be a cool moment regardless
>>
>>82990508
Sure they would, but no reason not to sell them if you have enough. Still need to clamp down tight on the supply
>making them more like contraband
I guess that's an interesting angle but still feels weird. In a pretty standard setting (making some assumptions here) you will have the good gods and clerics who believe i making their services available to bring back the dead, especially worthy heroes.
Evil people, even neutrals are likely the same.
>>
What's a good way to counter PCs who abuse counterspell?
>>
>>82990529
Spore Druid, whatever the hell race you want

Or Feylock I guess

Nature Cleric if that's not a thing I made up
>>
>>82990480
>Anyways, if my character died and I couldn't come back I just would quit the game until the GM started a new one.
Don't be a bitch, just make a new character. I wouldn't use any houserules in the games I run that I myself wouldn't follow.

>>82990482
Again, the odds of rolling a 1 are low and due to the way turns work in 5e your buddies are going to be there to slap you on the ass with Cure Wounds and make sure you don't bleed out.

>>82990502
That's what I try to encourage. Mind you, the casters spam their spells while everyone's still up now so that's its own issue.

>>82990529
Shifter maybe? Aasimar?

>>82990544
Counterspell their counterspell. Alternatively, throw things that can't be counterspelled at them; if they burn all their slots on Shield and Misty Step, they can't use Counterspell.
>>
>>82990544
Counterspell back.

Make enemies which attack when they cast a spell.
>>
>>82990544
More than one caster. Unless you mean they all have counterspell. Then you give the casters counterspell. Honestly you just stop having fun.
Real answer, sometimes you give them "spell-like" abilities that are not spells.
Counterspell is a pretty shitty spell to deal with overall.
>>
>>82990529
wild sorc or a druid of some kind, go with a simple race like human, or you could have had them transform into firbolg due to the 5e lore for them being giant nature hippies.

>>82990544
Throw rocks at them.
>>
>>82990529
>Race
Doesn't really lend itself to many inherently, but reborn works if the disease was particularly lethal.

In fact any of the Van Richten's races work depending on how you want the old god be to be like. The class would also depend on the nature of the old god, depending on what they're like you could be anything from a cleric or druid to sorcerer or phantom rogue
>>
>>82990529
race could be fucking anything. Human? why not. Half elf? sure. Satyr? could be mutated into a deer person. Elf if you want. Firbolg or changeling? of course
class could be druid, warlock (fey), cleric (nature, life, trickery), paladin (ancients)
>>
>>82990544
Casting less spells
>>
>>82990544
Have the casters be more than 60ft away from each other.
>>
>>82990544
Throw a bunch of weak spells at them, instead of just occasional powerful spells, so that they can't counterspell EVERYTHING without using up an unhealthy number of spell slots.
>>
>>82990529
Just make kid a werebear or something.
>>
>>82990606
Way to action economy efficient to be a real tactic imo, wasting an entire turn doing that. Unless you have lots of casters all at the same time of course. But then they get overwhelmed anyways.
>>
>>82990529
Changeling or Shifter could work if you don't want to be locked into a specific class.
Warlock would be an obvious route
>>
>>82990544
Archers who like to focus fire mages.
>>
>>82990544
Do the old bait-and-switch. Make the PCs have to use a reaction to make an Arcana check to determine the spell. Then they have to choose between countering the spell and knowing what it is. If they counter it, they end up countering a Magic Missile. If they don't, that's when you unleash the Fireball.
>>
>>82990682
>just straight up lying and cheating
This anon sucks dicks
>>
>>82990688
Serves them right for abusing counterspell.
>>
>using something as intended is "abusing" it
The retards on this site...
>>
>>82990756
The players need to fear spells, anon, they can't just win every counterspell, jeez
>>
>>82990756
yeah. Bust also counterspell is really poorly designed. It's okay when the one guy has it and does cool stuff occasionally.
Another good thing to do is cast higher level magic so they have to make a check to counterspell correctly.
though the way that works where you get no benefit for upcasting is also dumb (I usually change that).
>>
Give me gimmicky abilities to throw on beasts, or examples of "beasts but magical" (like displacer beasts or blink dogs) that already exist

For context my campaign is mostly jungle but it's only just occurred to me that I've used very few actual animals as enemies
>>
>a drow escapes the shadowfell with the party but lost her lover shortly before
>elects to stick around with a "mystic" whose cave they came back to for a while
>mystic is definitely actually a gold dragon

What does she do with herself? Haven't really thought of anything yet
>>
>>82990810
ParrotBears. You know owlberas? Well these are parrotbears and when you cast spells, as a reaction the cast the spells back at you, or buff or heal themselves with it.
>>
>>82990536
>making their services available
Yeah this is the case and is why they hoard diamonds. Is your party truly worthy? Then sure let them get a resurrection. We’re still talking about an improvement over “subtract 150 from your gold to revive someone.”
Also while the cartels constraining the supply of diamonds irl are doing it to make money, I would assume factions and wealthy people are hoarding diamonds to keep themselves and their retainers alive, not to make money. Regardless, we are talking about creating this economy around diamonds that justifies their scarcity ~to the players~ which is the point.
Caveat: I translate the gold costs to diamond mass so the weird economy thing doesn’t affect the actual material needs.
>>
File: bv8v6sb8cgb81.png (746 KB, 619x800)
746 KB
746 KB PNG
Thoughts on this rework of the Nature Cleric?
>>
>>82990815
How was her upbringing? Is she still lost in the Lolth sauce and needs to reflect on it and grow past it, is she someone who will try to help other drow escape from the Underdark? What about how she feels about the Shadowfell? Depending on how your world treats it it can be a place where many lost souls are trapped and need help. A gold dragon is an easy pick for a mentor to help her hone her skills and sense of justice.
>>
>>82990856
Yeah like I said, not my fav, but it's certainly an improvement and when it's baked into the world ahead of time that works petty well.
>Caveat: I translate the gold costs to diamond mass so the weird economy thing doesn’t affect the actual material needs.
What do you mean by this?
>>
File: 1567620288396.jpg (43 KB, 640x632)
43 KB
43 KB JPG
>tfw my players are writing more stories about their characters
I'm flattered but having to incorporate all of this into the campaign is hard.
>>
>>82990882
I’m just talking about the weirdness of “300 gp of diamonds.” If I have the only diamond in town and you need it, price goes up. Does that mean you only need half of it to cast revivify or whatever?
So I just say revivify takes x karats of diamonds, y for raise dead etc. So it’s not “a diamond worth 500 gp” it’s “enough diamond to cast raise dead” which they can usually buy for 500 gp from a friendly source.
>>
>>82990879
I figure her upbringing was Lolth sauce but she fell hard for the now-dead lover who helped them both escape the Underdark and was going to help them escape the Shadowfell but died before he could (they were straight written to be a romeo and juliet thing and she was supposed to die but the party saved her, so now she's just kinda kicking around)

Gold dragon tutelage/justice sounds pretty fucking cool actually but the dragon is a bit of a hermit who could just as well want nothing to do with that

Good food for thought at the very least, thanks anon, feel free to add more if you want
>>
>>82990904
Ignore it. Anything that didn't happen at the table is fanfiction.
>>
>>82990932
Oh you're talking about how the concept of supply and demand doesn't exist and what happens when it does in the material cost stuff. I got ya.
>>
File: FFNRwyYWUAU_mI2.png (15 KB, 770x990)
15 KB
15 KB PNG
>Paladin1/ X Hexlock not!Guts
Workable?
>>
>>82990982
>paladin+warlock
It's trash. Please reconsider
>>
>>82990982
Guts is a Fighter with a Greatsword and Great Weapon Master, probably the UA Brute subclass or Champion.
>>
>>82990950
No that dynamic is great, the drow with her whole world shaken up, and the shut away gold dragon who needs to regain his spark for imparting wisdom and caring for the wider world. You got a pair of NPCs that could become strong long term companions for the PCs on your hands. Have fun with it!
>>
>>82991003
Mostly to get a sprite (flavor pixie). I doubt any DM would give a player a free warlock tier familiar.
>>
>>82991049
If it's for flavor, take the background that gives you a mouse and ask the GM if you can reflavor it as a sprite.
>>
>>82991049
I mean on one hand, yes, that's not guaranteed. On the other hand, just ask your DM if you can have an NPC sprite companion. Or ask if you can go on a quest for one. Sign a contract with one.
>>
>>82991009
Ah fuck you're super right, too. Yeah alright I'll stick with exploring how the two of them develop a bit, thanks anon

This is mostly for another in-universe story I'll write but knowing stuff about it in advance means I can have something going on if the players come back to them
>>
>>82990982
Guts is a Berserker whose Unarmored trait works even in heavy armor, and still gets extra feats, because, "fuck you".
>>
>Play Paladin
>Miss every attack
>Do nothing
Fun game
>>
>>82990982
>Paladin 1
You may as well go fighter instead at that point
>>
>>82991103
The fact you miss as often as you do in D&D is completely retarded
>>
>>82991049
>give a player a free warlock tier familiar.
Pretty sure there are rules for getting some of the other chain familiars as familiars, but when you do so you find an actual pseudodragon/imp/whatever and enter a deal with them and can't use the special find familiar abilities. Wouldn't be hard to ask your DM if you could do that somewhere down the line
>>
>>82991103
>>82991149
>lucklets
Just roll better.
>>
I want to play a sentient weapon but I feel like that just goes too far down homebrew street to ask my DM
>>
>>82991290
Yeah personally that's not something I'd really want to do.
>>
>>82991290
The most common way I see it presented is the weapon is controlling a corpse, if the weapon is too far from the body it loses that connection. The racial block I've suggested to players wanting to do this has been warforged or the reborn lineage.
>>
>>82991290
I remember some published book that had a homebrew for playing as a magic item
>>
So my party is going to be dealing with a bunch of cannibal orcs that they briefly touched on back at level 1-3 (they're level 13 now). Rather than inflate their stats, I've decided to make it a curb stomp in the party's favor. Do you guys have any tips for keeping things fun and interesting while they enact righteous vengeance in the name of their friend?
>>
>>82991720
mix one or two powerful fighters in, maybe some hired muscle or something.
>>
>>82990544
Do what I do.
>never counterspell the PCs, except for their counterspells
>every spell caster knows counterspell for the next 5 sessions
>players now feel counterspell is a waste of time
AND
>every spell that is counterspelled is suddenly upcasted and needs an arcana check of 15.
>>
>>82991720
don't make them super powerful, but show how the cannibals have changed over time due to the people they have consumed. The theme of "eating someone to gain their power" is very common, weave that into their appearances and new abilities.
>>
>>82990529
How old a god we talking?
>>
>>82990810
I like purple owlbears, which cast mirror image on themselves. You can of course reflavor
>>
im making an enemy that takes half damage from all sources and then reflects the damage reduced this way back. should it have really low armor but high hp so it always procs? the idea is to make the party figure out a way to kill it without the reflect taking others down with it but im having a hard time fine tuning the stats. sorry if this makes no sense, i feel like im rambling
>>
>>82990810
Hypnotoads
>>
>>82990529
Hexblood
>>
>>82991817
This, but give it fast healing as well.
>>
>>82990528
Do it regardless of consequences. Are you here to play D&D or here to be a pussy?
>>
>>82990810
Hypnotic/mesmer snakes
Giant flying fox bats
Chameleon the size of a bus
Flying pirahna
doubleCentipedes
Giant millipedes that surround themselves with poison gas clouds and basically act like a giant stage hazard
>>
>>82990528
At this point in the story she's weak as shit because casting the rime every night is taking up most of her strength
Do it, theres probably no chance it'll go wrong.
I'm surprised she's letting you go not feeding you to her roc though
>>
So I'm trying to get back into D&D after a long break but don't want to go with my usual physical characters. What are some good class/race combos for interesting magic without being too fragile? I was thinking maybe an illusion wizard to direct attacks toward tanks, and apparently Gnomes are good for that.
>>
>>82991720
have some different objectives. Like do we curbstomp in a way to save the prisoners? Or do we curbstomp them to stop them from hiding or destroying their loot?
What do you do with the prisoners if any?
And on top of that, just play up how much they are crushing these guys and make sure to properly convey how it affects the orcs. It could be panic as they realize they are doomed, or a wild rage in the face of certain death, but makes sure to add some spice to it.
>>
how much healing are we talking? its hp is effectively doubled so healing is twice as effective by extension. would lifesteal on attack work? i dont want to hit that mark where its impossible to handle purely from a numbers standpoint but maybe im overthinking it
>>
File: dsfargeg.jpg (34 KB, 597x392)
34 KB
34 KB JPG
>Player approaches you wanting to play a child in your game
>A literal 8 year old human child
How quickly do you ban them from your table forever?
>>
>>82991923
meant for
>>82991841, sorry
>>
>>82991939
>Fuck no, that's retarded, pick something else.
They get one chance to not be a wierdo if they mess up again then they get the boot
>>
>>82991939
>thank you for your interest in my game but long term we would not enjoy each other's play style
>kick and block
>>
>>82991792
Just remove the spell instead. So many niggardly DMs who won't just talk to their players.
>>
>>82991899
>What are some good class/race combos for interesting magic without being too fragile?
Literally just cleric or druid with some good con scores.
>>
I have a creature that can charm flavoured as using magical pheromones. Would it make sense to allow races with poison resistance/immunity to resist/be immune or would that make no sense? Idk I'm not a biologist but I feel this is something someone might ask, we have a dwarf
>>
>>82992133
Yes absolutely. There are poisons that even do charm like effects so written like:
>when they creature is poisoned they are charmed and must behave or do X, Y, Z.
>>
>>82990397
>he thinks that's Leonardo
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venus_(Teenage_Mutant_Ninja_Turtles)
>>
>>82991939
Characters must be at least as old as the meme you posted.
>>
>>82992161
Thanks anon
>>
>>82991256
>luck
I use loaded dice and call it skill
I actually perfected one of my dice so it always lands 20-side up. Best part is it looks like all my other 20s do no one can tell.
>>
>>82990544
>attack wizard forcing him to use shield
>you can now cast spells
WOW THAT WAS SO HARD
honestly are you guys just retarded or what?
>abusing counterspell
wtf are you trying to do, power word kill your players every encounter how do you ''''''''abuse''''''''' counterspell?
>>
>>82992322
No you don't understand anon, the players are "succeeding." This must be stopped!
>>
File: 1558216882352.jpg (10 KB, 500x235)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
>>82992322
>Spellcaster uses a limited resource
>Player counters it with their own limited resource
>DM's face
>>
>>82992322
I've said it once, I'll say it again

All DMs are dogshit
All players are dogshit
There is no such thing as a good player or good DM because they simply don't exist
>>
What breaks if I allow scrolls players find as loot to be cast without any roll? So no arcana check or whatever beforehand, you just get to cast it
>>
>>82992567
Everything breaks. You found the lynchpin of the whole system
>>
>https://www.reddit.com/r/dndleaks/comments/s3lc5c/compilation_of_race_changes_from_from_monsters_of/
Compilation of all the Monsters of the Multiverse Leaks for your ease.
>>
>>82992567
Haste is really strong on certain martials, that's about it as long as the spells are of appropriate level. Casters might be upset if they're the only one in the party with a certain spell, and then you hand out scrolls so anyone can cast it.
>>
>>82992567
Nothing, because it's a single-use item. The spell is destroyed when used and it gives martials more utility.
>>
File: 123623236.jpg (11 KB, 259x194)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
>>82992584
>Speed. All creatures with a walking speed of 25ft now have a speed of 30ft.
>Hobgoblin: Removed Trait. No longer has Martial Training
>Kenku: No longer has limited speech
>Kobold: Removed Traits. No longer has Sunlight Sensitivity or Pack Tactics
>Lizardfolk: Removed Trait. No longer has Cunning Artisan
Just make races featureless blobs at this point
>>
>>82992694
Gee anon, you're sure good at picking cherries, but unfortunately for your """argument""" or """point""" those traits have been replaced with new traits or their other traits have been improved.
>>
>>82992712
Dude, go be a prick somewhere else.
>>
>>82992725
You first, stop being a lying prick.
>>
>>82992584
Thanks, I hate it.
>>
>>82992694
>>82992712
What did they give Lizardfolk in exchange for removing Cunning Artisan, or how did they change in general?
>>
>>82992712
The point isn't that "old traits are replaced by new traits"
The point I'm making is that things that are part of the CORE IDENTITY of a race is being removed
Dwarves are slow because they are stunty
Hobgoblins are militaristic and have weapon training
Kenku are literally unable to have their own speech

This is fantasy cultural erasure
>>
>>82992771
duergar being able to cast in daylight and not being affected by sunlight makes me upset
>>
>>82992584
>there are no Travelers of the Multiverse races in Monsters of the Multiverse
This company is exasperating the hell out of me, man. I want to play something else.
>>
>>82992584
Good changes all around. Clarifies language, changes features to make how they work clear, you can't fucking kill yourself as an Aasimar anymore (but really who played aasimar?), creature types are now more prominent making each race much more distinct, Unarmed Strikes/Natural Weapons are stronger which is great news for Monks, stuff scaling on Proficiency Bonus streamlines a lot of clunky mechanics and sets a true standard for homebrewing, Gith getting resistance to Psychic is massive as are all the other new resistances, Kenku are no longer a race no sane GM would let at their table, flight got nerfed to be tied to ground movement which again streamlines things, Kobolds aren't shit anymore, Minotaur FINALLY have their labyrinthine recall ability, Magic Resistance got nerfed hard, and best of all Yuan-Ti got nerfed hard.

This book fixes a ton of the shit /5eg/ and /tg/ in general whine about with races but /5eg/ being /5eg/ (full of nogames) will cry about it anyway without even looking at it.
>>
>>82992694
Cunning Artisan, heretofore known as Shidding Fartisan, was mechanically useless and pigeonholed your character into being a Native American warrior archetype
>>
>>82992771
>The point I'm making is that things that are part of the CORE IDENTITY of a race is being removed
They're being changed for Players; we already know all the traits in the monster manual are the exact same as they were, which I'd argue is to further distinguish player characters from the chaff of the rest o their kind. Either way, if you're going to be butthurt about the balance changes /tg/ has been wanting forever keep using the old trash.
>Dwarves are slow because they are stunty
But they weren't Small in size, they were Medium.
>Hobgoblins are militaristic and have weapon training
Clearly they don't now, or at least these Hobgoblins don't.
>Kenku are literally unable to have their own speech
Which made them literally unplayable. No GM worth a damn would allow them, now they can.

Also, the name has multiverse in the title; I'm sure it's going to be implied that these are different versions of those races from different universes or something and that's going to be the gimmick of the book. Even so, just don't use them if you want broken, inferior versions of these races. I already take all of WOTC's shitty lore and throw it in the trash when I run a game and heavily alter racial statblocks when I run games, so if anything this just makes my job as DM easier.
>>
>>82992840
>I'm sure it's going to be implied that these are different versions of those races from different universes or something and that's going to be the gimmick of the book.
Until they errata it out of all the old books like they did for the "problematic" lore.
>>
>>82992767
The BA bite that gives you temp hp is now prof times per rest which is good if you don't get many short rests (which most groups don't seem to)
>>
The changes are mostly improvements across the board. Setting/culture/fluff are for your DM to determine. Nobody should be playing campaigns in The Forgotten Realms™ and mindlessly aping the Drizzt™ novels or anything of he sort. Imagine playing pretend games in a corporate sandbox instead of just using the ruleset to play consistent games in your own worlds.
>>
>>82992854
Again, just change them back, not that hard. Say "this is how X race works in my setting", as I said I fuck with existing races all the time. For example I make Half-Elves have +2 (Elf parent's secondary stat) +1 DEX +1 Any other and Half-orcs get +2 CON +1 STR + 1 any other to bring them in line with half-elves, as a baseline.

I've also been doing the movement changes since way before this book was even announced.
>>
>>82992876
>>82992889
>it's a good thing the base game is becoming less interesting, I want to be forced to homebrew every good thing to make it actually interesting, boy I sure hate it when WoTC makes good content I actually want to use
Yeah no. Fuck WoTC for being continuous shit in the quality of content they publish.
Which is fine, I don't have to spend a dime or even take the time to lookup the content anymore. But I'm not gonna pretend its good.
>>
>>82992828
>Native americans were the only people in history to craft things out of bone, and were lizzards.
Ok dude we get it, you're racist.
>>
>>82992874
Based. Do you know if their creature type changed? The leaks I'm looking at don't mention it.
>>
What kind of monsters are likely to live in a mansion pretending to be a noble?

The first obvious choice is Vampire and I might go with that, but some new options might be nice to try.
>>
>>82992923
Why would a mansion pretend to be a noble?
>>
>>82992940
It's a confused Mimic.
>>
>>82992923
Mimics. FRENCH mimics. That SING.
>>
Is the Bladesinger's Extra Attack too strong for the game?
How would you rate it on a 10 scale? 1 Being absolutely garbage weak and 10 being absolutely game breakingly powerful.
>>
>>82992876
You are delusional. D&D is straight up the only game where you're expected to homebrew everything, no other tabletop is like this. Wotc have an obligation to make a fleshed out and good setting for people to play in, they have an obligation to publish books with actual substance and I'm not gonna stop sending them angry emails until they deliver something not shit
>>
>it's a good thing they're removing content!
fuck off.
>>
>>82992978
Bladesinger as a whole is just full retard. I just don't use the subclass.
>>
There are less IPs in this general every time I check it. Hasbro killed their fucking game.
>>
>>82992912
>it's a good thing the base game is becoming less interesting
If you think more viable options is "less interesting" or that having races that suck ass is "more interesting" you're a dipshit.
>I want to be forced to homebrew
I'm already forced to homebrew, it's 5 fucking e. Plus, I like doing it.
>I sure hate it when WoTC makes good content I actually want to use
This is great content, fuck you retard. WOTC is finally making shit I want to use. I've never wanted to play a kobold because they sucked, pack tactics + sunlight sensitivity was garbage and now that those are gone I want to play a kobold.
>>
>>82992978
It's hard to rate features like this because in 5e the level you are determines how powerful it is

When you reach level 6 and get Extra Attack, it's one of the best subclass features in the game. At this point you're basically just better than a Fighter in every single way and you get spells on top of that

Once you reach higher levels, like level 11+, it starts becoming more and more shit the higher you go because your melee power doesn't scale very well compared to your spell slots, so you use your Bladesong for the AC and movement whilst casting spells from the back like a normal wizard.
>>
File: 128ab54bdab81.jpg (409 KB, 3838x3409)
409 KB
409 KB JPG
>>82992978
I'd say no its not too strong for the game, even with the option of using it with Crossbows its still not gamebreaking or trying to mesh it with Eldritch Blast or Toll the Dead still does't break it. I'd say its better than your standard extra attack however due to the versatility, it being an attack action also opens it up to trigger effects that require the attack action. So I'd put it at like a good 6 or 7 out of 10. Its a good feature.
>>
>>82993013
I don't believe you. It's easier than accepting you are a sincere retard.
>>
>>82992889
>Again, just change them back, not that hard.
Yeah, easy for games I play in person with people I know. Try that shit in Adventurer's League, or online.
>"Well my book says this so I won't allow it."
>"Sorry, no homebrew allowed."
etc.
>>
>>82993033
I don't see how improving every single race printed is making it worse. Name one way the races printed were made mechanically, objectively, functionally worse. Lore doesn't count, because good GMs homebrew their own lore anyway.
>>
>>82993033
Do you writhe and gnash your teeth this much when people go in your butt?
>>
>>82990682
Players dont need to make arcana checks to identify spells they're familiar with, just like you don't need to make an athletics check to put on your pants.
>>
>>82993039
>Try that shit in Adventurer's League, or online.
AL players deserve the rope and any shit they get, don't play with randos.

I play exclusively online and as the GM I get to say what goes. The game I currently run has mostly homebrew races, even the core races that are in the book that I have have been homebrewed (i.e. Humans don't get a Feat anymore, elves have Firearm proficiency).
>>
>>82993008
There are less IPs because this general fucking sucks
You faggots talk about the same stupid shit and ask the same retarded questions and bitch about how bad WotC is every thread
>>
File: bookSm.png (272 KB, 1000x1019)
272 KB
272 KB PNG
*saves 5e*
>>
File: FH_BUIDaMAEwTZa.jpg (254 KB, 1410x2048)
254 KB
254 KB JPG
Have you ever used the optional rule for gritty realism? How did it fare? I want to introduce it for my next campaign but I want some feedbacks on it
>>
>>82993062
Well, even if you do recognize it, you need some time to recognize it, and the Arcana check is how quickly you do so. It's also to prevent metagaming with Counterspell.
>>
>>82993083
What rule is this?
>>
>>82993049
>lore doesn't count
Then we are already at an impasse and there is no point in continuing but I'll humor one point
Prof bonus on everything is fucking awful. That's pretty much all I have to say about that. Better to use something that can vary between character builds.
If you want a bonus, removing 25 speed is also retarded, standardizing everything to be the same needlessly instead of having some pros and cons that let you attach larger bonuses to a race.
>>
File: 75.jpg (28 KB, 750x920)
28 KB
28 KB JPG
>>82993073
that logo looks vaguely familiar
>>
>>82993083
I'd argue it's the only way to play. If your game doesn't have gritty realism, it's not a real game.
>>
>>82993056
Do you fucking grin like an idiot because you like it? That's fucking weird, don't project your fetish for taking anal on me
>>
>>82993008
That's because there's nothing to discuss. Each release has less and less going on, sometimes even actively removing existing content or options.
It's not surprising people aren't willing to spend 40 bucks on an artbook that just tells the DM to do whatever they like.
>>
>>82993092
>Prof bonus on everything is fucking awful.
I disagree, it makes everything much more balanced and gives a solid basis to create homebrew racial features with. If you don't homebrew at all (I pity you if you don't) then I can see why you wouldn't like it, but as someone who makes original races for his settings, I love this. It makes balance less of a hassle.

IMO the new book is great for people who homebrew races, bad for people who run everything vanilla.
>>
File: 1568151869684.jpg (20 KB, 392x402)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
>Group has developed a meme around our DM's notorious bullshit dice during our Foundry sessions
>Talking enemies rolling nothing but 18s, 19s, 20s, and players constantly rolling sub-10
>All rolls are public so it's genuinely just horrific luck
>DM allows me to pick Silvery Barbs in an effort to counter the non-stop god rolls
>First session with in, see an enemy roll an 18, 19 with advantage, on our bloodied fighter
>Use Silvery Barbs to force the reroll
>20
>>
>>82993073
Wierd way to spell pf2e
>>
>>82993104
I was just asking if you acted this cute then too. No need to be so uptight about it.
>>
>>82993089
Short rest is of 8 hours, long rest is of 7 days
>>
>>82993083
We use a very different twist on it. Longer long rests, but you keep a shorter rest. You long rest in 3 days of non-combat stuff, you get a 1 hour short rest each day, but next time you have to take an 8 hour nappy.

>>82993111
>everything more balanced
I'd rather my characters stats and choices actually matter. You know, build different characters, stop having them all be mechanically the same, because different races and stats should make a good difference.
>IMO the new book is great for people who homebrew races, bad for people who run everything vanilla.
Bruh, I can homebrew without having to fix 5e's retarded broken shit.
>>
File: wolfkek.jpg (55 KB, 680x383)
55 KB
55 KB JPG
>>82993119
That's rough mate, glad you guy are having enough of a good time to be sticking it out anyway
>>
>>82993129
Sounds drastic and interesting.
>>
>>82993146
It's nice for pacing. Also means people don't spam long rests because they have shit to do, which I find more pleasant to balance for since short rest stuff can shine and healing outside of combat is useful.
>>
>>82993138
>I'd rather my characters stats and choices actually matter.
They still do nitwit. Your stats matter for what class you're playing and how good you are at some skills and saves, and your choice still matters because the races use the proficiency bonus in different ways.
>stop having them all be mechanically the same
If you think that using proficiency bonus ENTIRELY DIFFERENTLY FOR DIFFERENT FEATURES is "the same" you're a sub-80 IQ dipshit and your opinion means nothing.
>I can homebrew without having to fix 5e's retarded broken shit.
You couldn't homebrew your way out of a cardboard box you uncreative hack.
>>
Bugbears are basically Wookiees, right?
>>
>>82993073
Why is that the Bad Dragon logo?
>>
>>82993083
I tried it out for a short campaign. The thing to remember with it is that it basically alters the pace of the adventuring day to be more of an adventuring week. Rather than fight 6-9 encounters in a day, you'll be running into 1-4 each day for several days.
This makes it better if you want a campaign to feature a lot of wilderness travel or intrigue in a city. Games where you can't always justify there being a series of underground rooms full of a half-dozen fights. Gritty realism makes battles on the road while travelling or an ambush by thugs in town matter a lot more.
>>
>>82993157
Not that anon, but out of curiosity, what's your opinion on 4e?
>>
>>82993138
There's no way you aren't trolling how can anyone sit there and pretend that +2 to x stat is interesting? It's not. Races now are far more varied because they have ABILITIES you know the thing that ACTUALLY matters? The rabbit hop, the gem flight, that stuff? You know the actual flavor that makes races interesting? Numbers will never be interesting and you schizos who scream about being able to assign your asis ruining the game are the biggest faggot retards in existence.
It was never interesting to play an objectively worse character because you wanted to roleplay a specific race instead of minmaxing everything
>>
>>82993186
Except for the fact that they also removed traits and abilities from certain races.
>It was never interesting to play an objectively worse character
Then you'll be dismayed to learn that there are still going to be objectively worse races for certain classes.
>>
there's a new book? what is it
>>
>>82992874
>per rest
**per long rest
>>82992920
Don't think so
>>
File: Halfling-01-race.jpg (201 KB, 708x778)
201 KB
201 KB JPG
>>82993160
Bugbears are Sasquatches.
>Big
>Hairy
>Extremely stealthy

>>82993073
This shit got half a million dollars, and it's just somebody's furry homebrew. So tell me /tg/, why aren't you selling your own homebrew? Just find a good artist, or become one, and you'll be raking in the dough.

But then the D&D fad will be dead by the time you try to get in on it and the normies will have moved on to something else.
>>
>>82993220
>traits and abilities from certain races.
Such as
>>
>>82993157
>I'd rather my characters stats and choices actually matter
I think he meant more, "I'd rather my race matter for ability scores."
>>
File: Duelist.png (766 KB, 457x1007)
766 KB
766 KB PNG
>Broadsword | 25 gp | 1d8 slashing | 3 lb. | Finesse
>Other names for this weapon include: Saber, Dueling Sword, and Backsword.
>>
>>82993253
Just wait for 6e bro
>>
You have 30 seconds to explain why nearly every single weapon shouldn't have the Versatile property. Explain how using two hands to swing doesn't inherently make the swing stronger.
>>
>>82993179
I've never played it, so I have no opinion on it. Made a character once, chargen was super easy though, not quite as streamlined as 5e's chargen but close enough. We ended up opting to play 5th edition because it had just come out at the time.
>>
>>82993258
see >>82992694
And yes, traits that are downsides or aren't just Proficiency Bonus uses of a combat ability do add flavor that makes races interesting.
>>
>>82993220
>Except for the fact that they also removed traits and abilities from certain races.
And then they replaced them with new features that are basically straight upgrades.
>Then you'll be dismayed to learn that there are still going to be objectively worse races for certain classes.
By a hair, not by a mile.
>>
>>82990529
Hexblood ancients paladin
Reborn warlock
Undead swarmkeeper (swarm is the gods spirit keeping an eye on you)
>>
>>82993299
Because using two hands gives you less reach than using one so a lot of shorter weapons, like daggers, would be far too hard to hit with
>>
>>82992889
>Dude just don't buy that book
>Dude just ignore them retroactively changing all the races
>Dude just reflavor all the races that have been changed after decades of lore
>Dude just take the hormone blockers
>>
>>82993314
If you think a +1 to a stat is a mile of difference, and you see the removal of noncombat ribbons in favor of combat abilities as a direct upgrade, then you are a powergamer, plain and simple.
>>
>>82993365
>Dude just don't buy that book
Yes, don't buy the book. I haven't bought a single 5e book or related product, I've used 5e.tools for my entire time running or playing the game.
>Dude just ignore them retroactively changing all the races
I will thanks.
>Dude just reflavor all the races that have been changed after decades of lore
I've been doing this since my first ever game I ran, fuck WOTC their lore is and always has been steaming trash. Fuck Gygax while I'm at it, his lore was somehow even worse.
>Dude just take the hormone blockers
No, because I'm a straight white male who has self-confidence and isn't enslaved to [brand]. If I don't like something, I won't use it. If I like something, I'll use it. I will never pay for it, and I will never be forced to do anything I don't want to do at my table or with my custom setting. If you're willing to let yourself be a slave to a corporation, then fine, let them live rent-free in your mind. You are a weak beta male with low testosterone.
>>
>>82993299
A weapon's ability to be two-handed is dependent on the length of its hilt.
>>
>>82993362
Wouldn't pushing the dagger or shortsword or rapier in with a second hand make it hurt more?
>>
>>82993400
>If you think a +1 to a stat is a mile of difference
It is in 5e where stats cap out at 20 and bounded accuracy is a thing. I'd sure as shit give a cleric a hard time for dumping WIS.
>the removal of noncombat ribbons
Irrelevant because a race's mechanics do not define their culture. All the important parts of a race's roleplaying and noncombat abilities come from their lore, which is malleable and determined by me at my table. Nobody used those abilities, which is why they were removed and I'd probably just replace them at my table. I never used lizardfolk in any of my settings anyway, they're just shitty versions of dinosaurfolk which I homebrewed and make a consistent placement in my settings.
>you are a powergamer, plain and simple.
Yeah sure I am, definitely, that's why I go Hexadin every game and - oh wait, I don't, my most played class is Monk, the worst class in the game, and I've never touched Open hand or Astral Self, the two best classes. Go fuck yourself you dumb hillbilly fuck.
>>
>>82992889
>>82993410
You can't just say "lol but homebrew" to every official change WotC makes unless you only plan on playing with the same few people you know, forever.
They're making enormous sweeping changes, and they're eventually going to change something you can't just homebrew away. 6e is looking dire.
>>
Question for you guys: How do you flavor Critical Hits in your game? Are they like super strong versions of the regular hits or just more accurate ones that hit vitals? For example
>You Critically Hit a Ray of Frost
>1) The Ray of Frost beam strikes the creature in a vital location dealing massive damage!
>2) The Ray of Frost's beam is much larger and more powerful, dealing massive damage!
>3) Something else.
>>
>>82993456
*inhales your cock and spits it back out at you for massive damage*
>>
>>82993572
>You can't just say "lol but homebrew" to every official change WotC makes
I can.
>unless you only plan on playing with the same few people you know, forever.
If you aren't willing to play by my rules, you don't get a seat at the table. Players are a dime a dozen.
>They're making enormous sweeping changes, and they're eventually going to change something you can't just homebrew away.
I can homebrew literally any change they make away. I already homebrew core rules in 5e to make them more to my taste. I homebrew every system I run, 5e or otherwise, because unless I make it 100% from scratch myself (which I have done multiple times) I'm not going to be 100% happy with it.
>>
>>82993456
>two best subclasses
>Astral self made the cut but not mercy
Lmao @ you
>>
>>82993635
Enjoy having to drop a 55 page .pdf on your players to homebrew away all the trash WotC puts out and never having anyone join your table again.
>>
A Hexblade, a Hexadin, a Hexbard, a Hexorcerer, and a Hexbuckler walk into a bar.
Who has the highest Charisma?
>>
>>82993456
>they're just shitty versions of dinosaurfolk
What an abysmal take
>>
>>82993717
Dinosaurs will always be cooler than normal lizards, especially your warhammer fantasy knockoffs.
>>
>>82993728
Dinosaurs > regular lizards yes. But dinosaurfolk are the "mundane" equivalent of Dragonborn. Based on a cool thing but lame as fuck as some player race
>>
>>82993710
Considering my actual mechanical core rule changes are less than a page long right now and any other ones are tied to the race stats which take up around a page per race with the fonts I opt for, I think I'll be fine.

You might not like where WOTC is going but I do for the most part. I'm probably going to keep the old races around as subraces/race alternatives with a few tweaks for variety's sake but I'm hoping 6e moves away from classes alltogether towards classles point buy, and gives GMs the tools to basically build a race or offers alternate racial features ala Pathfinder 1e where you can sub in certain features for other ones. That would be a great change and make 6e the best edition of DND yet.
>>
>>82992694
>Just make races featureless blobs at this point
Isn't that the point?
>>
File: 1477182321_kill_me.jpg (121 KB, 516x600)
121 KB
121 KB JPG
What is the most powerful class under level 10, /5eg/?
a player at my table asked me this question and I gave very generic safe bet answers like "bard or artificer I think" but the more I think about it a lot of their options come online later in their class progressions for the most part.
>>
>Just did a bunch of homebrew and fleshing out for the stuff in my campaign
I'm not gonna get much sleep because I have work today but it feels good. I know for a fact I'm going to forget half of it during the session, and the players will pull their own shenanigans for the other half but it's nice to have things ready.

If only the fuckers would tell me what they actually fucking WANT to be in the campaign. There were some deaths early as the lethality was notched a bit too high and now they're extremely reluctant to get invested in their characters or the world
>>
>>82993770
I did some talking with one of my players. He's a noble whose house was on fire last he saw it leading to him fleeing the elven lands. I plan to introduce new playable races as the game goes on, so that if a player dies or they want to retire a character they can get new options or if we reach a good "end" they can keep playing in the same world.

Basically, since elves are the masters of artifice in my setting, his family created life via a Warforged, but it went nuts because of an existential crisis, ran off, and the elves are going to call him and the other elf back to deal with the situation; "it's your family's problem, deal with it" basically. Let him choose what to do with it, depending on his choices it might be come a new playable race or they might just fucking kill it. He said he's on board with the idea so once they finish this quest I'm going to introduce it as an option going forward alongside a handful of other plot hooks, let them choose what to do.

I also plan for... some cataclysm to happen at some point, regardless of the players' intervention or lackthereof where certain races are uplifted to sapience; specifically, Goblins, Driders, and Oni. Give them the chance to deal with good ol'racism!
>>
>>82993765
Depends a lot on the particular game. But Paladin is a safe bet in the low to mid level ranges.
>>
>>82993765
1-4? Moon Druid.
5-9? Twilight Cleric (With Twilight Sanctuary) otherwise Watcher Paladin.
This is also very campaign dependent. If you're in a game that takes place 90% of the time in darkly lit dungeons or caverns or the Underdark, a Gloomstalker Ranger would be the most powerful thing there.
>>
>>82993267
>Falchion
>1d10 Slashing, Heavy
>>
>>82993896
>Twilight cleric not being good in dark campaigns
?
>>
>>82993765
All martial classes can be very strong under level 10: paladin is the strongest hands down since he has everything, a fighter can be good too since he can gain access to PAM+Sentinel (5 attacks with action surge) and an eldritch knight can be unkillable with defense and shield
>>
File: 1614666931400.jpg (173 KB, 1428x1904)
173 KB
173 KB JPG
So for the people that have played the grappler playstyle, what did you do when you could no longer grapple? Just attack them normally? Use different maneuvers if you had any that could be applied to the situation? Kick rocks in the corner?
>>
Hey /5eg/, I want to make a colony of Kobolds but all have them some simple variation of a base name (Gurk, Durk, Murk, etc)

What base name would make for the best/most variations?
>>
>>82993896
>Watcher
What's so good about watcher?
>>
>>82993921
The same thing you do on every turn past the one you use to grapple, attack. What do you think they do during most of combat?
>>
>>82992889
It's meaningless for my game and my players, since I ignore. Honestly don't care that much. It will change how new players perceive the races though, since these standarized versions of the races that lack the classic features will be their normal. Not a big thing for me, but it will change overall perception and what people view as the default.
>>
>>82993955
>It will change how new players perceive the races though, since these standarized versions of the races that lack the classic features will be their normal. Not a big thing for me, but it will change overall perception and what people view as the default.
That means that when you bring up old versions as "homebrew" people will see it as "new" and "Fresh" and "original" and be more interested in your game. Either way, it's a win.
>>
>>82993929
Baily
Caily
Daily
Faily
Gaily
Haily
Jaily
Kaily with a K
Maily
Naily
Paily
Qaily with a Q
Raily ;)
Saily
Taily
Waily
Xaily
Yaily
Zaily
>>
>>82993929
Have five super clans- the Aks, Eks, Uks, Iks, and Oks. Subclans from them would be Bek, Cak, Puk, Dik, etc then you can have some clans get along based on their name, like clan Lok and clan Lik, while others are in an eternal blood feud, like Dak, Dek, and Dok. Make it as arcane, annoying, and pointlessly detailed as anything else kobolds make
>>
>>82993976
>"Fresh" and "original" and be more interested in your game.
Not sure I believe that, but whatever. I think it's sucking the flavour and variety out of races, and I don't have much hope for 5.5 on this front, but we'll see.
>>
>>82993572
>unless you only plan on playing with the same few people you know, forever.
best way to play
>>
>>82993921
Use the "climb onto a bigger creature" variant action from the DMG, since most creatures I can't grapple are simply too large, and uses the exact same stats as grappling.
>>
>>82993929
I think Dan, plenty of options just changing a single letter
Aan
Ban
Can
Ean
Fan
Gan
Han
Jan
Ian
Kan
Lan
Man
Nan
Oan
Pan
Qan
Ran
San
Tan
Uan
Van
Wan
Xan
Yan
Zan
Man
>>
>>82993910
Don't get me wrong, Twilight Cleric is one of the best classes in the game power wise, buuut it doesn't have at will invisibility at level 3 in Darkness. Twilight Sanctuary is SUPER POWERFUL and damn near game changing at all stages of play and normally would be better than Gloomstalker, however its limited in nature and since Gloomstalker doesn't have that limiter in Darkness, its something to be reckoned with.
>>82993945
Aura's pretty good. All Paladins are more or less solid.
>>
>>82993995
Look I'm just telling you that's what happened when I took High Elves and made them the gun guys in my setting. Literally was like "Why are two of you high elves?" and one of the players said "because you made elves cool!"
>>
File: shadow-colossus-screen-1.jpg (376 KB, 1920x1080)
376 KB
376 KB JPG
>>82994008
More people ought to use that stuff.
>>
File: hank.jpg (28 KB, 800x450)
28 KB
28 KB JPG
>sisters aware I play D&D
>they want to try it too
>one wants to play an Owlfolk Ranger with a Dire Wolf
>the other wants to play a Dwarf Bard
>okay that not so-
>the Bard has a spawling backstory about being super pretty and clean shaven, getting kidnapped by alt right drow, and being pegged every day until he managed to escape
>>
>>82994040
In the trash it goes.
>>
>>82994039
I enjoy the variant action options, but I can see why some DMs don't like them. We used to allow disarm, but it was just way too easy to disarm most enemies (especially at range), because even when the enemy is holding their weapon in both hands it's rather easy to get advantage on an attack roll to cancel it out. Eventually we settled for only being able to disarm with melee attacks, then just "stop nerfing disarming attack even more."

Even climb onto a bigger creature is strictly better than grappling because it gives the smaller creature advantage on attacks against it and can be used by the initiator with either an acrobatic or athletic check.
>>
>>82994057
The Drow were, and I quote: "On a crusade to end the degenerate practice of race mixing"
>>
>>82994083
I just assumed Disarm only worked with melee, that's just how my table does it. Players only use it when I push them into a corner though.
>>
File: 1517083626898.jpg (12 KB, 202x255)
12 KB
12 KB JPG
>>82994040
Yeah that's a bullshit backstory, why the fuck would he want to escape?
>>
>>82994103
I will admit it was cool moment when the rogue shot a weapon out of the enemy's hands with his rooty tooty point and shooty hand crossbow, if not for the fact that it was attempted every time thereafter and we already have a problem with taking too many people alive.
>>
>>82994040
Your other sister clearly wants to peg you
>>
>>82994040
>Sister #1 reads Guardians of Ga'hoole
>Sister #2 reads hentai
>>
>>82994016
That's such a dull name for a race of chaotic retards.
>>82993981
Pretty cute names
>>82993984
Oh, that's really good.
>>
>>82994040
>the Bard has a spawling backstory about being super pretty and clean shaven, getting kidnapped by alt right drow, and being pegged every day until he managed to escape
>>82994088
>The Drow were, and I quote: "On a crusade to end the degenerate practice of race mixing"
Is this some bizarre twist on that "buck breaking" thing?
But anyway, she is your sister, you should let your sister have it her way. Maybe with a warning that it is kinda wild... just roll with it and see where she takes things.
>>
>>82994128
My party literally only survived a night encounter because the fighter - in no armor due to the sudden attack - held the enemy down with a Grapple and the Ranger used his Sabre (slashing Rapier) to disarm the enemy and that let the rogue get distance to deal damage and bring it down.
>>
File: 1635173950069.jpg (199 KB, 968x1000)
199 KB
199 KB JPG
>>82994162
>That's such a dull name for a race of chaotic retards.
You clearly have not heard of our lord and savior, Kuroto Dan.
>>
>>82994040
Why specifically a clean-shaven pretty-boy dwarf though? Why not a pretty human or an elf, or just any race those whole thing isn't bearded bears?
>>
>>82994040
>>82994246
You'd think she'd go for a halfling or elf if she's trying to play some gay twink
>>
>>82992978
I took inspiration from it and Duskblade/Magus' Arcane Channeling/Spellstrike and made an ability like it for a subclass I homebrewed.
>Level 6 Ability: "When you use your action to make a spell attack using a Sorcerer cantrip, against a target within your bonded weapon's reach you can replace the spell attack with a melee weapon attack using your bonded weapon. On a hit, the weapon attack deals normal damage, in addition to the effects of the spell."
If a Bladesinger at level 6 can cast Shocking Grasp and Attack with their Rapier/Longsword/Battleaxe/Morningstar in the same action or even Toll the Dead into Sharpshooter Hand-Crossbow attack, then a Sorcerer should be allowed to combine a Shocking Grasp/Firebolt + Longsword/Battleaxe/Warhammer in one action too.
>>
Why is the flavour mask for the way of mercy included as part of a mechanical feature. That makes it RAW, which bothers my autism. It's not even mentioned again.
>>
>>82992978
5. You're not generally going to be casting that cantrip if you're going bladesinger, because if you were you'd just use Fire Bolt and not use your weapon at all.
>>
>>82994321
>What are SCAGtrips
>What is hand crossbow
>>
>>82991896
Myself and the wizard just got her blessing, and he had the Auril's chosen secret, so maybe she is giving us a chance to flee so we can manipulate the rest of the party towards her goals? I'm not sure. That's why I want to read her thoughts. That and I want to pry as deep as I can to find out godly secrets.
>>
Monk 1 or Barbarian 1 for an unarmed fighter? Going battlemaster regardless. Each has pros and cons
>Barbarian gives more survivability but on a limited resource
>It's better if I take more levels down the line
>Is a STR Chad
vs Monk
>Dex is mechanically better than Str
>The bonus action attack actually nets me more damage than rage and means missing extra attack at 5 hurts ever so slightly less
>>
>>82994342
>What are SCAGtrips
TCE Cantrips now, and require a weapon with a cost, but more importantly no better than a Rapier, a d8 of damage and that's at 5th level.
>Hand crossbow
Something you shouldn't be using on a Bladesinger.
>>
>>82994379
Fighter with Unarmed Fighting style.
>>
>>82994384
>no better than a Rapier, a d8 of damage and that's at 5th level.
I do not understand your point here, why are you comparing cantrips that you use WITH a weapon TO a weapon? That's like saying "Divine Smite isn't that great, 2d8 is less damage than just using your rapier"
>Something you shouldn't be using on a Bladesinger.
It's free damage and keeps you at a range
>>
>>82994321
Toll the Dead + Hand-Crossbow is pretty solid its stronger than the standard double Crossbow shots. Unless you have Sharpshooter & Crossbow Expert, if you have Sharpshooter & Crossbow Expert its very likely you don't have Archery on top of them, so your accuracy isn't great.
>>82994384
>Something you shouldn't be using on a Bladesinger.
Nothing stops them from using it though! Its good for cantrip slinging just because its free damage! You slinging Firebolt? Now you get to add a Crossbow Shot! Mind Sliver? Add a crossbow shot! Toll the Dead? Add a crossbow shot!
>>
>>82994393
That's what I'm doing, but I want to use a dip in one of those classes so I can go full unarmed unarmored brawler
>>
>>82994246
>>82994263
My best guess is Peter Jackson ruined dwarves for her
>>
>>82994197
We've tentatively agreed to a one shot. In the end I approved everything except the plot points about race mixing and degeneracy. I'm not going to tolerate a society that regularly practices demon rape getting het up about any kind of degeneracy.
>>
I refuse to cast haste on anyone else in the party it's for me and me alone
>>
>>82994634
>dispels ur haste
>>
>>82994634
>stuns yourself
Oh boy
>>
File: 1619213398045.jpg (27 KB, 414x407)
27 KB
27 KB JPG
>>82994040
If you won't DM I will
Dozens of years of cooming and tabletop have prepared me for the ultimate ERP extravaganza and true warriors run head on spear in hand
>>
I'm preparing to DM for the first time and I can't find the section in the DMG that explains what you do with your players' blood samples. The DM who got me into the game refused to spoil it.
>>
>>82994720
>he's uninitiated
Uh oh
>>
>>82994720
Anon, please tell me you've already gotten your players' blood samples. This is EXTREMELY important. You shouldn't even be looking it up, it should be second nature.
>>
>>82994730
>>82994779
I didn't know...I don't even have the equipment yet. It's got to just be for some optional immersion thing, right? I figured he cribbed it from Curse of Strahd, but I didn't see anything about it in that book, either.
>>
File: 1498100945645.jpg (78 KB, 1280x720)
78 KB
78 KB JPG
>>82994040
If hentai has taught me anything your sister wants to fuck you.
>>
Dwarves are good
Tieflings are evil
Simple as
>>
>>82994797
If you don't know, you don't know. They'll be visiting you soon.
>>
I might be addicted to making homebrew. I just keep coming up with ideas.

WHY. I'm trying to make a subclass based off Genshin Impact's Hu Tao. Why? It's like the idea speaks to my head and won't stop talking.
Blood Hunter, Give a special crimson rite (burning with your "soul!") and then give Hu Tao's warp-dodge, ritual spells (like ceremony, gentle repose, etc). Ability to talk to ghosts, see into the ethereal plane, and be able to hit things out of it. Then finally make your special rite do extra damage "burning your soul" in that anime style where you hurt yourself to increase your rite damage.
ahhhhhhhhhhhhh. Why can't I stop with these ideas?
>>
>>82994797
>optional
People like you are killing the hobby
>>
>>82995008
>Homebrew subclass for a homebrew class
Christ
>>
>>82995015
bad post
>>
Cont. >>82995008

I don't even play this game! I just saw the video they throw out on the youtube ads.
knowing they're from a CCP dominated company I refuse to play it, I can't even enjoy it's hentai because of that fact

>>82995028
1) That's kinda funny in retrospect,
2) Blood hunter's crimson rite stuff fits in the theme of the burning oneself away, and fits with the whole elemental weapon thing blood hunter does. Also a lot of the monster hunting stuff is cooked into blood-hunter, I just need to give it the flavor for that supposedly good open world gacha waifu game.
>>
>>82995034
>Defending blood extraction being treated as """optional"""
I stand by what I said. It's quite honestly the soul of the game
>>
>Session Cancelled yet again
>We started late November/Early December
>We're still level 1
I love my group and we've played together for years but I'm on the verge of dropping out and find a new game for Fridays
>>
>Aberrant mind can cast Summon Aberration without the expensive and specific component
That's a actually kind of cool
>>
>>82994436
Barbarian
>>
>>82990529
If I made counterspell a level 5 spell would that make it less frustrating? I feel like casters would deserve a compensation buff for this.
>>
File: w9aap6g1no541.jpg (50 KB, 640x514)
50 KB
50 KB JPG
>>82995179
Its pretty good yeah! Buying the component's still worth it though as the spell doesn't consume it and you can save up on the sorcery points.
>>
>>82995224
>If I made counterspell a level 5 spell would that make it less frustrating?
you would delay the point where they can start spaming it but to be honest i dont think counterspell is that big of a problem desu.
how often are you sending casters against your party for it to be a problem
>>
How do I make about 50 low-detail NPCs without outright randomly generating them? I want there to be some coherence to who they are, but it seems like a lot of work.
>>
>>82995540
what is low detail? I would say gender + name, race, and profession. Give the like one trait.
There is no substitute but work on this. But no one need greater detail until PCs decide "THIS" is the NPC they want to interact with.
>>
>>82995540
Start by making the first one
Then make the second one
Then the third one...
And so on in that fashion until the 50th.

Take breaks every 5-10 NPCs so as to not get burned out.
>>
>>82995540
There is a table in Xanathar for generating random characters your PC may know. You could use that.
>>
>>82990544
Wizard BBEG with 4-5 apprentices and all the apprentices do is cast counterspell and buff their master.
>>
Workshopping a future character right now. Fighter (Cavalier), using heavy armor with a warhammer and shield. 17 STR, 11 DEX, 16 CON, 8 INT, 10 WIS, 12 CHA. Going for a melee tank sort of build.

The first two feats I'm going to pick are Crusher and Shield Master so I can shove enemies away from allies pretty easily. My main question is: after that, do I get STR to 20 immediately, or do I get more CON or Resilient (DEX) first instead? (I'm going to get 20 STR/CON and Resilient EVENTUALLY, but I'm undecided on the exact order.)
>>
>>82995625
Get str imo, also matches up with your unwavering mark bonus action attack.
>>
>>82995625
You really should get STR at 8 ASAP.
Get Dex at 12, the rest is CON.
>>
>>82995655
Crusher already bumps STR to 18, so I'd only need one more ASI to get it to 20. Resilient would also boost DEX. But what you're saying is to go 20 STR --> Reilient (DEX) --> 20 CON, right?
>>
>>82995662
Basically, Crusher at 4, Shield Master at 6, 20 STR at 8, Resilient Dex at 12, the rest into CON.

There is also swapping STR and Shield master, but really its up to you.
>>
>>82995662
Oh, Tough feat at 19 for even more HP
>>
>>82995680
Oh yeah, good idea.
>>
I'm almost level 12, I am a bladesinger. These are my stats. Do I get +2 in dexterity or should I take a feat? If you think I should take a feat which one should I take?
>>
>>82996199
Elven accuracy or some other feat that can +1 your dex
>>
File: 1567914387036.png (254 KB, 472x410)
254 KB
254 KB PNG
>>82996199
>More dex than con as a wizard
>>
>>82996199
You might want to take War Caster. The advantage on concentration saving throws will help you keep your spells up when you're hit, and you'll have the option to cast Booming Blade or something when someone tries to leave your melee reach.
>>
How do I get into dnd online? i have no friends
>>
/5eg/, I joined a new game despite being afraid that I'd be disappointed in it like I have been with so many others. We had session 0 and the game actually flowed smoothly. The RP was a little bland but not awkward or cringey. I think the problem is everyone's being a bit too serious, including myself.

Part of my issue is my character concept didn't really come out as entertaining as I thought it would. I've played this character before but what I'm finding is that my ability to RP him properly really hinges on me being is a certain mood. If I'm not in that mood he just kind of falls into the background

We have free rein to change up our characters before session 1. Should I swap out mine with a different one?
>>
>>82996459
didn't ask
>>
>>82996465
wasn't talking to you
>>
File: raptor walk.webm (620 KB, 1280x720)
620 KB
620 KB WEBM
What sort of nonstandard familiars (if any) do you allow in your game?
>>
>>82996469
yes you were, you said /5eg/. I'm part of /5eg/ and I didn't ask
>>
>>82996459
>swapping out
I don't usually have my players swap out their characters after only a single session, it takes time for you to appreciate the roleplay potential of a character and I usually feel like I don't like my characters after only one session with them.
I'd say give it another session and see how you feel.
>>
>>82996475
Stibbles codex of companions
>>
File: RaptorEcho.png (1014 KB, 1896x1017)
1014 KB
1014 KB PNG
>>82996475
That's not a raptor.
>>
>>82996520
Sir, that is a lizard
>>
>>82992840
When one of my players read the Kenku speech thing, he decided to never speak normally and instead have a side notebook where he'd write down phrases and words other PCs or NPCs said, and whenever his character had to talk, he would construct small phrases by parroting what his character had heard.

It completly defined the character and became the funniest, coolest character in the campaign. We had so many fun moments because of thia speech thing.
Ofc, whenever the party had to discuss tactics or decision, he'd just speak normal as a player, but in character it was a blast.

And because that was his and the entire table's first campaign, ever aince that all of them check and try to roleplay the race's culture to a degree. I would hate to see that lost. I can always ignore what's written in the book, but I can't properly define a character set in the world if there's no cultural identity for them, just recolored humans.
>>
For the scrying spell, would someone's blood be good enough for the "body part" component? Secondly, if yes, if their blood was mixed with someone elses, say in a puddle on the ground after a fight but they got away, would it still be good enough?
>>
>>82996613
I'd say so, but I'd have a 50/50 of it being either person unless the party knows a way to separate it.
>>
would it be weird to have my party do a quest where they turn into woodland creatures to help save the heart of the forest? My fetish is transformation, but I would keep it non sexual.
>>
File: DhMl4loUcAAmhzy.jpg (39 KB, 447x677)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
>>82996475
The ones from that warlock book, specially the coin mimic and the related Warlock subclass.
>>
>>82996725
but I'm scrying on the person, so it's a 50/50 if it gives the -10?
>>
>>82993715
>edgemaster
>TALL DARK CHAD
>emo musician
>Mr. Arabian Nights
>dockworking cunt

Gonna go with the only actual Chad in the group. Followed closely by Jafar over here.
>>
>>82994057
Pussy.
>>
what do you guys use to get country/continent maps? i need a continent one, not for dming, just a player that wants references to where the fuck everything is, i know the locations but i just want a map that would fit or one that i would require the less time to edit it to fit my campaign
>>
>>82997456
if you are using a pre written adventure download the map of the same continent from another module
>>
New thread
>>82997556
>>82997556
>>82997556
>>
>>82996199
The worst thing about that sheet is the campaign name. Your GM has shit taste in anime.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.