[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: by_danndaramoyou.jpg (214 KB, 884x1402)
214 KB
214 KB JPG
Epic mount Edition

>What is Genesys?
Released in November 2017, Genesys is a pen-and-paper generic/universal RPG system and toolkit by Fantasy Flight Games and EDGE Studio, using a refined version of the system presented by their Star Wars RPGs (Edge of the Empire, Age of Rebellion, Force and Destiny). Its central mechanic is the Narrative Dice System, using pools made of specialized dice to create narrative results. The intention is for the system to be a highly flexible narrative system, adaptable to most any conceivable setting and premise.
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/genesys/
https://edge-studio.net/

((LATEST NEWS))
>"Twilight Imperium: Embers of the Imperium," a new space opera splat based on Twilight Imperium, is set to launch Q2 2022
https://edge-studio.net/games/embers-of-the-imperium/
https://edge-studio.net/news-embers-of-the-imperium/
https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/b6/d9/b6d969a2-21c2-4b1e-8d6f-ac6fec456b88/guide_to_the_imperium_10_web.pdf

>Where can I find the books?
Check the Online Extras pastebin below for something useless. The core book is the only mandatory book.
>Do I have to buy the fancy dice to play the game?
Only if you want physical dice to roll. There are plenty of free dice rollers available online, now including the official dice roller app on mobile. Check the Online Extras pastebin for links.

>Player-made Genesys settings
https://pastebin.com/7knE7KSv

>A quick and dirty primer on how the dice in Genesys work
https://pastebin.com/GLgMUNPD

>Online Extras (fillable sheets, dice rollers, quick reference sheets, generators, PDFs, etc.)
https://pastebin.com/EFjpfvAH

Previous Thread: >>82933765
>>
File: by_pixxus.jpg (273 KB, 1218x996)
273 KB
273 KB JPG
Recently used following system for introducing point crawls:

>Players get a list of locations they can reach within a certain amount of time
>Every location is asigned a difficulty
>One player takes on the role of a guide and rolls with the survival skill
>If the roll succeeds the players get there
>otherwise the difficulty decreases by one and they have to roll again
>Encounters and events are applied via region specific threat/advantage tables
>After a certain amount of rolls a strain penalty is applied

Any thoughts this?
>>
>>82984639
Sublime.

I love the roll tables for advantages/threats.

What I like to do, and I got the idea from DungeonCraft on youtube. His episode called "The Bone Road" - you create a setting-specific d100 table of encounters you might meet on the road. Some good, some bad. Bandits, goblins, a crashed cart with money inside, etc. Random encounter table, not new.

Here's the thing though.

What if the difficulty-rating of the distance between the two points wasn't the number of purple dice you needed to overcome, but the cumulative number of successes you needed to build - the longer/more dangerous distances equaling a higher total.

Safe road, short distance - 1 success

Dangerous road, short distance - 2 success

etc.

Then, at each "stop" after a roll - you roll on the encounter table, and apply the threats/advantages to that specific encounter.

Like it's a 3-point distance from A to B. They roll 2 successes and an advantage. You roll on the table and get bandits.

They have to fight/RP past the bandits, but there's a silver lining - the bandits are drunk and less effective at both. Or they just attacked a caravan and they're tired, and overloaded with gold.

Then the players have to roll again, to get the remaining success to make it to the new location.
>>
>>82985182
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ovuc4CHudGQ&ab_channel=DungeonCraft

Here's the original video. He's got a great ideas, and I use a lot of them.
>>
File: panzerkefer.jpg (248 KB, 852x1000)
248 KB
248 KB JPG
>>82985182
>>82985352

Thanks for the feedback.
Will watch the video later though.

I really like this idea:
>What if the difficulty-rating of the distance between the two points wasn't the number of purple dice you needed to overcome, but the cumulative number of successes you needed to build

I could imagine it like this:
>Distance and difficulty of the terrain increase the number of required successes
>Difficulty of navigating within the terrain or of finding the required waypoint increase the difficulty

I might go even further here.
>What I like to do, and I got the idea from DungeonCraft on youtube. His episode called "The Bone Road" - you create a setting-specific d100 table of encounters you might meet on the road
Creating not only a setting specific table but region specific ones.
Or one really general table that can be filled in with region specific variables
>e.g. You roll for 4 easy enemies.
>Swamps: Frogpeople ambush
>Road: Highwayman.

But I would also prefer to give my players some fixed options per region (since they should have some say in spending advantages)
>Do you follow animaltracks and hunt for rations, do you gather crafting material and herbs or just look around (insert table here)
>>
File: 1599183184600.png (4.54 MB, 2886x1980)
4.54 MB
4.54 MB PNG
>>82985694
What if you laid it out ahead of time with a sort of "Advantage Menu" with some universal options. They can "buy" these pretty much anytime, depending on the circumstance. Grouped by price...

1 Advantage:
-Add 1 success to the total trip score
-Gather resources (Hunt/Forage)
-Rest Safely (heal strain)

2 Advantage:
-Add 3 success to the total trip score (just to add a budgeting-type mechanic?)
-reroll the encounter dice?

Triumph:
-Automatically fill the total trip score
-etc?
>>
File: 2df7ea8dae3c3d02.jpg (119 KB, 750x510)
119 KB
119 KB JPG
>>82985794
This was sort of, what I had planned.
Very Region specific though.
>>
File: 1641707446423.jpg (1 MB, 1274x1984)
1 MB
1 MB JPG
I remember someone had once reverse engineered how the adversary power levels were calculated.
Can someone post that file?
>>
File: Power level.pdf (1 MB, PDF)
1 MB
1 MB PDF
>>82987298
I actually have it.
I don't know how accurate it is, but we don't have anything better.
>>
>>82987387
Thanks!
>>
>>82984639
That's beautiful anon, so simple.
>>
File: 9cc4f32e1b744946.jpg (57 KB, 600x720)
57 KB
57 KB JPG
>>82988378
Thanks anon!

As a token of my grattitude take this pickaxe of Bump!
>------------------------------------------------------------
>NAME: Pickaxe of Bump
>SKLL: Meele (heavy)
>DAM: +2
>CRIT: 5
>RANGE: Engaged
>ENCUM: 2
>PRICE: 65
>Rarity: 2
>SPECIAL
> Pierce 2
> Inferior
> Cumbersome 2
>BONUS: Can be used as a Pickaxe
>------------------------------------------------------------
>>
File: 1676413ee0d72efb.jpg (45 KB, 640x640)
45 KB
45 KB JPG
>>82985182
Pardon me. I think you also deserve a little something. Please, take this Bumpshroom!

>NAME: Bumpshroom
>
>Can be found in the Bumpwoods with three advantages on a travel-check by day.
>Due to it's light shimmer with two by night.
>
>Has the healing effect of a painkiller.
>
>After every consumption the patient has to make a resilience-check against a difficulty equal the number of bumpshrooms eaten that day.
>If unsuccessfull the character is disoriented 1 + Disadvantages hours.
>If the character is already disoriented he takes that many strain.
>
>The mushroom looses its healing properties after one week.
>
> An alchemist can extract (difficulty 2) a narcotic from either fresh or spoiled shrooms that removes two setback die due to pain.
>
> He can also create an ointment against wrinkles (difficulty 3) wich increases the price by 300%.
>
>While the narcotic stays fresh the ointment still spoils.
>
>The rarity of the mushrooms increases the further you're away from the woods where they were found.
>The narcotic up to a maximum of 4
>The rest up to 8
>
>BASE RARETY: 2
>PRICE: 25
>>
>>82989577
I should add, that the anty aging ointment can only be made from fresh mushrooms.
>>
>>82985182
>What if the difficulty-rating of the distance between the two points wasn't the number of purple dice you needed to overcome, but the cumulative number of successes you needed to build - the longer/more dangerous distances equaling a higher total.
What's wrong with just "here's the flat difficulty, pass this one test to get there"?
>>
>>82984639
This is actually a really good idea. Would love to see this developed more.
>>
File: index.png (33 KB, 642x552)
33 KB
33 KB PNG
>>82984639
>>82985182
>>82990462

I just cobbled this little mess together.
How about we fill it out, with tables and details.

Lets start with (difficulties in brackets):
>Reachable points from the city #1 are
>Village at #2 via road through swamp (3) or boat (1)
>Village at #3 via road through plains (2)
>Village at #4 via boat (3)
>Hut #5 through swamps (4)

>Traveling by boat would require a driving or piloting check.
>Every reroll costs one strain. Rests can be made at the waypoints.

I would propose extra rules for roads, or even terrain that is easy to navigate through bout requires more endurance:
>On roads the party member with the lowest dice pool makes a athletics check.
>An advantage is automatically added

Now we would need a table for
>Swamps
>Plains
>rivers

If we get this thing rolling, I'll try to get a better looking version
I haven't decided on a setting, so we could do this collaboratively.
>>
>>82991513
might also turn a few of those villages into inns or other waypoints.
As I've said, I haven't decided on a setting.
>>
File: 1627775290648.jpg (65 KB, 443x750)
65 KB
65 KB JPG
>>
>>82991513
Swamps would entail a boat (if possible), lest you risk wet supplies/clothes, predators, pests and disease.
Plains would be the easiest wildlands to traverse, but you would still need supplies.
Rivers depend on their width, depth and the strength of the current.
>>
File: Hivers1.jpg (1.7 MB, 1634x2116)
1.7 MB
1.7 MB JPG
Here's all the Hive World backgrounds so far for the Dark Heresy expansion.

I plan to add Scavvies and Wastelanders next, then I think I've covered pretty much all reasonable bases.
>>
File: Hivers2.jpg (1.67 MB, 1634x2116)
1.67 MB
1.67 MB JPG
>>82995223
Feedback encouraged, by the way.

Also, if there's anything you feel is missing (which isn't already covered by the core book) let me know.
>>
File: Unsanctioned Psyker.png (1.12 MB, 885x1219)
1.12 MB
1.12 MB PNG
>>82995232
And then some quick Unsanctioned Psyker rules.
>>
>>82989777
>What's wrong with just "here's the flat difficulty, pass this one test to get there"?
Only to add a feeling if incrementally advancing on a goal. If I tell the players that the journey is long and perilous, and they will need to complete a total of 7 successes... every time they roll a success it will feel like they're filling up a gauge.

If I just say it's a difficulty 3 challenge, it's one roll and done.

Plus, lets say they're making a particularly long or difficult trek. It's like a difficulty 4 challenge. They roll and they don't make it... then they roll and they don't make it... then they roll and again they don't make it.

It just feels like busting your head against a wall. I know that communicates difficulty, but is it FUN?

IMO there's a lot of fun to be had in just... incrementally accomplishing something. That's half of what leveling up a character is. We're really just slowly making numbers go up, to feel like we're accomplishing something that's imaginary.

This travel system is just a microcosm of that idea.
>>
>>82995448
Then what's the base difficulty of the check? Is it Difficulty 0 if we're just talking about generating successes? Would there be increased difficulty to represent the possibility of losing progress?
>>
>>82995465
>Then what's the base difficulty of the check? Is it Difficulty 0 if we're just talking about generating successes? Would there be increased difficulty to represent the possibility of losing progress?

I'm gonna be honest when I say it took me a second to figure out what you were asking, but I think I understand. The answer is maybe.

If I was gonna use this idea right this weekend, here is how I'd handle it.

The party wants to travel from Hometown to The Outpost.

Me: The country between Hometown and The Outpost is dangerous, but the old empire's roads are still reliable and firm. The local goblins haven't yet stolen every brick to fortify their warrens. The distance is 20 miles. You'll need a total of 3 successes at difficulty 2.

Player: Hey, my bounty hunter has traveled these roads before. Would he know the local hideouts and how to avoid them?

Me: Yeah, that sounds ok. You could take the lead - I'll take survival or streetwise, whichever is higher. Everyone cool with Player taking the lead?

Other players: Yeah, yeah, sure.

Player: *rolls* 2 successes and an advantage. Shit. Uh, you said we could trade an advantage for another success? I'm gonna do that.

Me: Ok. So, you set out from Hometown, along the old imperial road. The way is treacherous, and though these roads are generally accepted to be safe, all long it's length you see signs of suspicious activity. Broken wood along the road, a few arrowheads wedged between the bricks, a horse left dead at the bottom of a gully. The Bounty Hunter gets a terrible feeling about this, calling for you to halt - then leads you off the beaten path, through a shortcut in the woods. As you reach the top of a rise, you can see the road ahead - where an ambush had been waiting. The Bounty Hunter's itchy palms might have just saved your lives.

etc.
>>
>>
File: 1231751058757.jpg (32 KB, 352x501)
32 KB
32 KB JPG
>>
>>82995605
I think he means using the possibility of failure results and threat to interject setbacks and obstacles into the journey. You were going to go X way, but since you got three threat and failed the roll, that pass has been swept away by a flood and you'll have to find some other way around it.
>>
Are there any good videos out there on character creation?
I want something I can sent to my new players in advance. Unfortunately most of the stuff I found is either star wars specific, contains errors or is just of really low quality.
>>
File: 70c6be428a9af8fd.jpg (253 KB, 975x1300)
253 KB
253 KB JPG
Anon from >>82984639 here
So far I've only used the system for traversing a jungle. The difficulty mostly stemming from the difficulty of navigating the area.
It still needs some work done, to feel right with roads and easy terrain.
>while traversing the wilds is really unpredictable, e.g. an experienced guide can walk the same distance in an hour a rooky would travell in a day, such variability would seem weird on a straight road.

>>82997768
I really like your example. Something very similiar already happened at my table (with the exact number of thread).
The failure lead the party to take a dangerous detour.
The difficulty increased by one and I swapped to a less friendly table.
For the most part threat and advantage lead just to roadside discoveries though.
>found some herbs our chemist could use.
>some game, that could be hunted for more rations
>wildlife attackin.
>a clearing where the party could recover some strain
>>
File: 26ff2c466f5b5e58.jpg (273 KB, 1080x1440)
273 KB
273 KB JPG
>>
>>82997771
Chargen isn't too terribly difficult.
>Pick an archetype
>Pick a career
>Spend XP on characteristics, skills or talents
>Buy some equipment (weapons, armor, gear) with your starting cash
Apart from making sure they understand how the talent pyramid works and the incremental costs in buying characteristics, skills and talents, it's not too bad.
>>
>>82997771
>>83003135
Also don't forget the bit about "once chargen ends, you can never spend XP directly on characteristics again." That's an important rule to keep in mind and will inevitably color how they spend their XP.
>>
>>82999062
Could you share some of your tables? As the anon who came up with the rule it'd be neat to see how you put them into practise.
>>
Does anyone actually use the challenge rating rules from the expanded players guide?
They seem too vague to be actually worth spending the time to calculate.
>>
>>83003657
Haven't put any of the rules here into practice yet. Only used my little homebrew here >>82984639

+ small game or berries (1 ration) | crafting materials worth 10 | Boost die on the next check
++ find artifacts with some lore tidbits | crafting materials worth 50 | find signs of a military weapons stach (looking for it perception vs 2. Content rolled on extra tabble) ยด
+++ these shrooms >>82989577 (had a different name though) | lore tidbit regarding a conspiracy concerning the players | players can take a full rest and have two boost on any vigilance checks while they rest
Tiumph: The players find a temple that gets unlocked as an additional waypoint. A small dungeon containing some extra lore and loot if they face it's dangers

- Everyone suffers one extra strain | insects spoil some rations (1d10/2) | something takes notice of the players
-- A random piece of gear gets damaged | spoiled rations again (1d10) | if something took notice minion type enemies appear
--- random character gets sick (suffers the critical injury "Slightly dazed") | The characters have to make a detour through more difficult terrain | enemy soldiers appear. If something noticed the payers before they have prepared an ambush with traps otherwise the players can try to sneek past. If the players get noticed one of the soldiers tries to flee and report to HQ, the players can chase him down.
Despair: An ogre starts chasing the group.

The setting could propably be describet as Musket & Sorcery.
The Players got hired to do some grunt work in the jungle. They don't know yet that their employer is some cabal with pulpy world domination ambitions. Some rebels (that are secretly controlled by another cabal) are playing guerilla warfare in those jungles. Also a crazy-canibal empire tried to colonize the place a few decades ago thus the leftover temples and ogres.
>>
File: 18d2042c1a138355.jpg (236 KB, 1600x880)
236 KB
236 KB JPG
>>
File: 1569726007496.jpg (3.98 MB, 2500x1722)
3.98 MB
3.98 MB JPG
>>
File: 1417428513860.jpg (97 KB, 700x525)
97 KB
97 KB JPG
>>
File: Lycantrophy.jpg (68 KB, 500x614)
68 KB
68 KB JPG
>>83004042
I use challenge rating rules and I like it.
It's not perfect, but it helps to put together some more balanced encounters. I even use it in one of my homebrews.
The biggest downside of it is that they not add it right away. So if you want to you some adversary from Realms of Therrinoth book you need to calculate it on your own.
>>
>>83011043
I think if you check the erratas, they retroactively provide challenge ratings for every previous official adversary.
>>
File: ausonia-23-xwyb.jpg (1.08 MB, 1626x1900)
1.08 MB
1.08 MB JPG
Did anyone come up with some more mounts, that can be used with the rules from SoC?
>>
>>83011525
>>83011043
speaking of challenge ratings
is there a book with nothing but adversaries?
A monster manual equivalent for genesys?
I found that the biggest obstacle to me GMing new systems is having to make my own adversaries. I'm just too lazy to stat anyone besides maybe the bbeg (and even then I usually steal from a pre-made statline and adjust some things)
>>
File: Raven-man.jpg (70 KB, 564x755)
70 KB
70 KB JPG
>>83014651
There in not official adversary book. I heard about unofficial one, but I never seen it.

But fear no. There is few things you can do.
If you need adversary for fantasy setting you can use one from Ream of Terrinoth book.
For sci-fi adversary we have Shadow of the Beanstalk book and Star Wars books (but remember that Force from Star Wars have a different mechanic then Magic in Genesys).

You can easily convert adversary. First you choose the creature that is the most similar to wat you want to achieve. Then you just need to adjust skills, abilities, talents and equipment.
For example you can swap one tier 3 talent for another tier 3 talent. Just don't forget to keep track of challenge rating if you swap combat talent for social talent.
>>
File: 657284dad0e8cd26.jpg (213 KB, 1080x1440)
213 KB
213 KB JPG
>>83014651
The Expanded Player's Guide is really good for that matter. It comes with a large list of enemys and the adversary creation chapter helps you creating most NPCs in a matter or minutes.

This should be a list of all enemies from official sources (also really neat tool for looking up all kinds of things)
https://genesysref.netlify.app/adversary/ace_epg?tab=stats
>>
>>83015855
That's right I can steal from the star wars books for normal non-force mooks, good reminder
>>83016055
>https://genesysref.netlify.app/adversary/ace_epg?tab=stats
This is really helpful!
>>
How do you give XP for your party /gengen/?
Do you follow the books and just give a lump at the end of every session or have you made up some different method?
And how much do you give? 5? 10? 20?
I've read and used the guidelines in the core book but I'm not happy with them; not sure why.
>>
File: 13aeb52a9b012c94.jpg (666 KB, 1080x1350)
666 KB
666 KB JPG
>>83016102
I mostly pair the xp with achievments during the session.

>Spending time to train/learn
>Fights
>Finding Secrets
>Quests solved
>etc.

How much XP is determined by the generall tone of the game and the length I've planned for the campaign. So that the XP should roughly add up to a certain value each session.

e.g.
>I want a fast progression so 20XP per session
>The game has a lot of fights roughly 4 per session
>So one successfull fight gives each PC 5XP
>Outstanding persformances give 2xp for the player
>Underwhelming ones -1 or -2

I still consider myself a noob GM in genesys so take my advice with a grain of salt but for the pacing I currently use,
> 5-10xp for my long lasting campaign
> 20-25xp for shorter endeavors
>>
>>83016643
Honestly I really want to go all in on D&D style "you get a small amount xp for every encounter (social or fighting) and for quest completed"
But that may be my D&D addled brain speaking
>>
>>83016102
I give EXP in multiples of 5, because any other way is nonintuitive (you can only spend XP in fives) Usually I block it out per session based on what we accomplished - if they win a big encounter (or a couple of small ones), hit major story milestones, whatever. Usually ends up being 15-20 per session, but unlike doing it by time if the PCs just roll around shopping, crafting and generally setting up or engaging in downtime they don't do as much so they get less.

You also probably want to start tapering as xp goes up, when you're a couple hundred xp in it's not as impressive if you're killing squads of goblin [minions] even if logically you're assaulting a goblin city and have to keep punching them, so I'm not going to overinflate your xp for something which wasn't really a challenge. I like growth though, so I'm usually softer on players in the first few sessions so they can get exp rolling.
>>
File: c5acd4e7505f552d.jpg (242 KB, 538x902)
242 KB
242 KB JPG
>>83016940
As a starting point that's alright.
Nearly the method proposed above.
There is no problem in running a game heavy on fights. Though I'd recommend to mix it up a little more, but that might just be my preference.
>>
What would we say, are the limits of the EPG adversary creation?
>>
>>83018444
As with everything, the limits of your own imagination. In general, the hardest part of using any Genesys book is getting the tone to be consistent with what you are doing.
>>
>>83018444
Once you've reached 5 on a skill and 5 on a characteristic, that's it, there's nothing stronger
>>
File: 1e935ecaeced0bc8.jpg (362 KB, 1200x788)
362 KB
362 KB JPG
>>83018475
>>83018516
Since I've started using it, I applied the guide lines to every NPC I've made.
I was curious, if anyone had tried to create some adversarys that didn't work as well with that system, either by requiring noticable amounts of home brew or not getting the balance or feeling right, and if so which one?
>>
>>83018706
There are multiple angles to customizing an adversary. It's not just the characteristics and skills and equipment; it's also the talents and homebrew Abilities you can give them that let them operate uniquely from anything else.
>>
>>83018706
When it comes to my own games, I am constantly making new abilities for NPCs. I also liberally take from ever source book and happily mix or twist what already exists. It is very important for me that all my NPCs are in the right place at the right time and pose the right challenge. No one likes a string of mooks to get in their way, but they remember a minor fire-and-brimstone priest that shreds their strain with a well placed cutting remark.
>>
>>
>>82995223
>>82995232
>>82995243
Like it!

I'm sure you've answered this question a lot by now, but what software are you using, if I may ask?
>>
File: daniel-b-walsh-figure3.jpg (736 KB, 1920x2629)
736 KB
736 KB JPG
>>
>>83018706
I've started thinking about my adversaries in terms of action economy, using advice I picked up from Matt Colville's video on "Action Oriented Monsters."

So I categorize them based on ability activations:
>Passives
>Incidentals
>Maneuvers
>Actions
>Out of Turn Incidentals (Reactions)

Thinking about them in these terms really helps to set the focus on what makes the adversary so challenging. What can they DO during the scenes they show up. Yeah, yeah. Their brooding and politicking and scheming in the background is great and all, but unless the player's ask, the thing they'll remember most is what the NPC *did*.

So with a Nemesis-level adversary especially, I try to come up with at least one unique entry for each of the above categories. And as >>83019949 points out, there is so much source material (official, and homebrew) that you can easily find enough to mix and match to make a truly unique opponent. I will echo this anon and stress how important it is that the NPCs be put in the situations where they're likely to shine; don't put a cunning negotiator in the middle of combat and expect them to come out on top.
>>
>>83020508
Thanks anon! I use Adobe InDesign.

You can do a lot of similar stuff with Affinity Publisher if you want a cheaper, non Adobe alternative.
>>
>>83023096
You mentioned it in the past, organizing an adversary by their action economy and not their on-paper abilities. Does that work outside of combat?
>>
File: 1635040681557.jpg (65 KB, 548x960)
65 KB
65 KB JPG
Does any of you write down the settings, we sometimes create in this thread with the EPG rules?
I feel like homebrewing some stuff and maybe breath some life into one of those. Also it'd be a shame if we let all those settings just go to waste on some hard drive until someone stops including them in the backups.
>>
>>
>>83024871
Definitely! I would clarify my first post to say that this approach is the one I use for adversary who are designed to appear in *structured* encounters, combat or social.

The more big and bad, the more of these categories you want to fill. A truly unique and memorable encounter will include abilities you've made up entirely for that NPC, but it cannot be overstated how useful the pre-existing material is even as a jumping-off point.

For non-combat, uninvolved encounters or scenes with NPCs, the only thing that *really* matters about an NPC is their Motivation (you should have a Strength and Flaw Rivals, and all four for a Nemesis just as the book advises). You can make up their characteristics on the spot using the "Clout" mechanic fond in the GM's Eclectic Toolbox. Essentially, you think of that NPC's highest stat (okay they're a talker, I know their presence is going to be a 3 since they're no Nemesis), and that becomes your central number. The number of green die in their best pool, the number of max skill upgrades, etc. etc. I'm explaining it poorly, but in practice its super effective.

But for structured social encounters, it definitely helps to think of your NPC in terms of the action economy. Their motivations ARE important in these scenes, now more than ever really, but if you want your PCs to be challenged and have to make interesting social checks, then you want your adversary to have interesting social actions. Of course, if you're keen to just let them roleplay without skill checks then none of this matters haha.
>>
>>83025675
Seems like not.

So how about we come up with another one.
Let's start by rolling 3d100 and picking two for tropes.
>>
>>83025675
I mean, we rolled out most of a setting a couple threads ago. It was a space wild western, with an intergalactic-tier human civilization crashing on an earth-like planet and getting blown back to the Industrial Revolution. There were mountain valley outposts and swamp rednecks and the like.
>>
>>83029229
So I rolled:
>56 - Monsters
>26 - Environmental disaster
>73 - Post-apocalypse

We can theoretically take all three, But if I need to choose I will go with environmental disaster and post-apocalypse.
>>
>>82995243
The new backgrounds are looking great!

This Unsanctioned Psyker seems like a very cool addition in your setting, although I'm curious the design idea behind having it be free. After all, even the Mutant in the Core Book has a cost of 5 XP. Will there be a set of talents specific to this along the lines of the astropath or untouchable elite advances?

Also, have you already factored in how this would play with the proposed revised psychic power rules?
>>
>>83029682
Isn't it cheating, if one doesn't roll via the Options?
>>
Rolled 16, 79, 75 = 170 (3d100)

>>83029229
>>
>>83030165
Well. I use dice, but maybe you have a fare point.

>>83030187
This get us:
>16 - Betrayal
>79 - Robots
>75 - Gritty Realism
>>
>>83030148
Being an unsanctioned psyker is its own list of problems, even just in the narrative alone.
>>
File: 6fb3e5140317d950.jpg (81 KB, 735x398)
81 KB
81 KB JPG
Cheating or not.
This selection >>83029682 seems way more interesting, than this one >>83030292

So I'd say, let's take the Monster/Environmental disaster-Apocalypse und get to the tech level
>>
>>83030589
How about we roll 2d100 for tech.
One being the preapocalyptic tech level.
>>
Rolled 70, 66 = 136 (2d100)

>>83030775
>>
>>83030833
That'd be

>66 Information Age
>70 Interplanetary Age

It might be interesting to have the interplanetary age as the post apoc tech.
>Environmental disasters and monsters turned the homeworld into a hellscape.
>Survivors try to establish colonies on less habitable planets and space stations.
>Since the colonization efforts are in it's early stages. Expeditions onto the planetsurface, for resources, mainly food and water are a necessity.
>>
File: ben-keeling-screenshot004.jpg (1.26 MB, 2000x2000)
1.26 MB
1.26 MB JPG
>>83030980
This could either work in our solar system or we're going to roll up 3-4 planets and decide wich one of them is the home world.
>>
>>83030980
Any sugestions regarding the nature of the disaster and monsters?
>>
what are the skills/talents like? being fully locked behind a physical book sucks
>>
>>83031997
Let's roll 3*5d100 to create three colonized planets
Afterwards we can create the former homeworld with more detail and using the Earthlike Planet.
>>
File: 1380082106905.jpg (74 KB, 600x750)
74 KB
74 KB JPG
>>83032559
The average skill list for a campaign is relatively compact, usually somewhere in the ballpark of 25 skills. Your skill ranks are anywhere from 0-5. It costs (5 * new rank) XP to buy up a new skill rank, plus an extra 5 XP tax if it's not one of your 8 "career skills" (this tax is the only difference between career and non-career skills).

Talents are where you find the equivalents of feats, class features, and other special abilities. They are organized based on potency by tiers, from tier 1 at the bottom to tier 5 at the top. Building up your character's talents involves the "talent pyramid," which says you need more lower-level talents to hold up the higher level talents. If you want a tier 2 talent, you must already have bought two tier 1 talents first to hold it up. To get a T5 talent, your pyramid would look like this.
>T5
>T4:T4
>T3:T3:T3
>T2:T2:T2:T2
>T1:T1:T1:T1:T1
Just like skills, to buy a talent costs (5 * talent tier) XP.
>>
>>83032559
You can find PDFs for all published books.

Examples for skills are athletics, piloting, Meele (heavy) and charm. Skills, together with a corresponding characteristic (brawn, agility, intellect etc.) determine your dicepool.
Skills are capped at five and the more you've got the better.

Talents are special effects you can learn, they come in different tiers and are either passive or active and sometimes ranked (you can purchase them several times at incrementing costs).
Examples are:

>Swift
>Tier 1
>Passive
>Your charracter does not suffer the penalty for moving through difficult terrain.

>Deadeye
>Tier 4
>Active (incidental)
>After your character inflicts a critical injury with a ranged weapon and rolls for a result, you may suffer two strain, to select a critical injury of the same severity to apply instead.
>>
>>83032828
>Skills, together with a corresponding characteristic (brawn, agility, intellect etc.) determine your dicepool.
Note that by design, this is the ONLY way to roll dice in the system and engage with the single core dice mechanic: it must be a skill check, with a skill paired with its associated characteristic (core stat). There is no blank "roll an Intellect check" or anything like that.
>>
Rolled 60, 34, 52, 99, 67 = 312 (5d100)

>>83032602
Planet #1

4.3 World Structur
4.4 Climate
4.5 Environments
4.6 Population
4.7 Oddities
>>
>>83033055
I just noticed it's 4d10 and 1d100

Anyway we got:
>Large World
>Hot world
>Mountains
>Cities
>Elaborate cave system
>>
Rolled 3, 1, 10, 9 + 1 = 24 (4d10 + 1)

>>83032602
Planet #2
>>
Rolled 54 (1d100)

>>83033130
>>
Rolled 8 (1d10)

>>83033130
>>83033158

>Earthlike
>Searing Temperature
>Landmark (thus the reroll)
>Cities
>Ruins of elder race
>>
Rolled 7, 32, 45, 19, 83 = 186 (5d100)

>>83032602
Planet #3
>>
>>83033546
>Artificial Construction
>Hot world
>Plains
>Uninhabited
>Constant storms

This one might be a little tricky, but let's see what we can come up with.
We could roll for a homeworld using the earthlike planet structure now.
>>
>>83030148
>I'm curious the design idea behind having it be free.
The drawbacks arguably outweigh the benefits. So making you pay for it seems silly.

>Will there be a set of talents specific to this along the lines of the astropath or untouchable elite advances?
Nah, they don't really need that kinda granularity, psykers already have plenty of talents.

>Also, have you already factored in how this would play with the proposed revised psychic power rules?
Yeah definitely. It makes playing an unsanctioned psyker very risky, Perils can turn nasty a lot faster than they do for normal psykers.
>>
>>83029364
is there more info on this?
>>
>>83035419
Not specifically, at least not beyond what was in that thread.
>>
File: gsdd-isaac.jpg (103 KB, 700x1100)
103 KB
103 KB JPG
>>
>>
Pondering a Half Life 2 game, everything should be pretty standard to stay up right? The Combine are just regular guards, none of the weapons are too specialised to require unique rules (Gravity gun is unique), headcrabs and antlions should be simple enemies right?
>>
File: Vermilion.jpg (357 KB, 1000x1463)
357 KB
357 KB JPG
>>
>>83033609
>>
>>83044813
UPS!
>>
Rolled 21, 81, 71, 63, 8 = 244 (5d100)

>>83044830
>>
>>83032755
which pdf should I open/download to see all the talents and skills?
>>
>>83045115
Talents are spread out across all the books. Some talents fit the specifics of te setting; some talents are good for the overall genre of the campaign, and some talents can have universal applications. That's all to say nothing of making your own talents where you feel necessary.

That said, as with everything, the core book is a good place to start to get a baseline.
>>
>>83045861
The "Talent Tome" in the DrainSmith Dropbox is a compendium of all official talents published.

You can also review all the talents and skills, and other things, at GenesysRef (a 5e.tools-like reference site)
>>
File: joseph-pegg-vampknight2.jpg (318 KB, 1920x1915)
318 KB
318 KB JPG
>>
>>
File: mccall_01.jpg (309 KB, 1178x894)
309 KB
309 KB JPG
>>
>>83053472
Mmm, space.
>>
File: 1380062136430.jpg (244 KB, 758x1206)
244 KB
244 KB JPG

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.