[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 363728.png (337 KB, 1080x1707)
337 KB
337 KB PNG
What are some unusual sources of inspiration for adventures/settings? Stuff like this absolutely screams D&D to me.
>>
File: henry-darger-900x450-c.jpg (578 KB, 900x550)
578 KB
578 KB JPG
>>82966954
I wouldn't take Indian mythology as particularly unusual. It's probably one layer down from the big 3 mythologies for games (Norse, Greek, Egyptian) and sits alongside Irish, Japanese, and Persian for usage.

I've taken inspiration from the works of Henry Darger:
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Darger

A hospital custodian working in Chicago. He became famous after he died because they found his massive pile of schizo rambling, and 15k page manuscript titled:
>The Story of the Vivian Girls, in What Is Known as the Realms of the Unreal, of the Glandeco-Angelinian War Storm, Caused by the Child Slave Rebellion

They also discovered hundreds of water colors that went with it, pic related.
>>
>>82967012
>Henry Darger
You wouldn´t happen to have a 10-Page-essay on him, his works and their effect on Art Brut at hand, would you?
>>
>>82967012
>Henry Darger
I keep coming across this guy. He's such an interesting case of weird and perfect inspiration.

Also agree on the mythologies. More obscure ones, like local myths, tribal myths, and Central African (divorced from the South African that inspired Voodoo and North African and Egyptian, it's rather interesting). I also really love Polynesian, especially Maori and Hawaii mythologies. The Haka especially has so many meanings depending on where, when, and how it's performed.
Actually screwed over my players once with it. They were invited as honored guests and had a haka performed for them. Then they accidentally insulted the chief and had another haka performed as a threat. They realized it wasn't the same and they were being threatened, it was a bit late and they GTFOd out of there.
>>
>>82966954
If this screams "D&D" to you, you're a fucking retard.
>>
>>82966954
Good morning sir
>>
>>82966954
Bionicle is pretty based.
>>
>>82966954
I really dont care about Star Wars fan fiction
>>
>>82977159
umm, okay?
>>
>>82977463
So I dont care that Asoka Tano becomes emperor & tries to find the droid army. It sounds like someone watched Clone Wars while playing Age of Empires while high on meth
>>
>>82966954
Ultimately, in the end, after removing everything superfluous, all stories are about people. For example, a story about a river is actually about the traits we project on it, and the similarities we see between it and our lives.
By extension, all conflict is ultimately about people.
Do you know where you can find an absurd amount of twists in interpersonal conflict?
Fucking South American soap operas.
>>
My games have used as primary inspirations:
>Two Years Before the Mast
>The War of the Worlds (1898)
>Steamboy
>Minecraft roleplay servers
>>
>>82967012
There used to be some guy on here who did something like that. It was shit though.
>>
>>82978336
Well now I want to try and use Days of our Lives as inspiration for a campaign.
>>
>>82978369
>Minecraft roleplay servers
the fuck?
>>
>>82970314
as a NZer, I've got near 40 years of experience telling you that any book by a white polyphile makes up more about their "culture" than actually exists pre or post the land wars,
all the original accounts attempt to mysticalise them into Noble savages, but really they're still just early stone age near-humans. don't waste your time creating & attributing culture to them, they developed less words in their natural approximation of language than a grey parrot can pick up by age 2.
>>
>>82977929
>Asoka Tano becomes emperor & tries to find the droid army
Come again?
>>
>>82981658
Oh Hell no. I don't read the old books. Most of the info comes from talks with Maori tribes and their stories. It's more so about what those things mean, as little as there is to it. Tattoos do have significance, the Haka, the stories, language, but, as far as actual culture goes, that's all there is to it. It could probably fill a book or two. Like you said, it's less s civilization and more tribal. Snd that's what makes it interesting for me.
>>
>>82983288
The guy's a moron and a troll. Leave him be.
>>
>>82970340
Yes, because Lord knows that D&D would never include something so obviously sci-fi.
>>
>>82983426
>he thought I was talking about sci-fi
No, I was referring to the knee-jerk reaction of immediately thinking about D&D retards have when that's the only system they can comprehend.
>>
>>82983426
he was just triggered by that anon not using inclusive language: he said d&d when he should have said "fantasy roleplaying adventure systems, set in a mythical past or a world with traits similar to a mythical past" to not commit discrimination against any marginalized system
>>
>>82981658
oh no no no not like this noblesavagebros
>>
>>82983484
I mean if there was a decent alternative I might try it, but I’ve never seen anything that was worth the time or effort since they invariably produce a game that is just as flawed as D&D, but in different ways, that just ends up meaning I’m trading one problem for another (even if that problem is just “it’s harder to find players because it’s not as well known”)

First person to say GURPS is a fag since that game is “Not Worth the Time or Effort: the RPG”.
>>
I'd like to see stuff based on the Vivian Girls, or the Shaver Mystery, or the Holders Series, or the Calganon 200.
I don't know why Slenderman and the SCP Foundation got famous and no-one remembers Doors to Hell, or the Holders.
>>
>>82983909
Technically, you were the first to mention it.
>>
>>82983288
Fucks sake dude. In the OP, he posted some bullshit about how Rome created droids & stuff Emperor Asoka. Its obviously some weird fan fiction. Dont respond with an open ended question by the way, it makes you look like a faggot.
>>
>>82978396
>>82967012
The Vivian Girls sounds like a fun setting from the synopsis alone, but the text itself is very dry and incredibly repetitive. It's about 14k pages longer than it needs to be.
>>
>>82984361
The Holders was edgy and boring, which is why it was quickly overshadowed by SCP stuff. Not sure which one Doors to Hell is off the top of my head, but the Shaver Mystery and Calgary 200 are solid.
>>
>>82983892
Maori got lucky that they managed to be first colonised by a bunch of bible-thumpers who believed in the idea of the noble savage who could be saved by jebus, not realising that had they waited a few decades the maxim would come along and wiping their stone age cannibal bullshit out would have been entirely viable.
Alas, it is not so, leaving a race of child-killing savages who LARP as american blacks with about 10% of the justification for self-pity and none of the charm.
>>
>>82967012
I wonder how Henry Darger would have fared on 4chan
>>
Hentai has sometimes given me frameworks to use as a plot. In this hentai, the Demon Lord ensures that the man who slayed him becomes the mother of his reincarnation.
>>
>>82987539
This hentai can be used as a source of a minor adventure where the chracters have to help cure someone of a mark that makes them lewd.
>>
>>82983909
Sour grapes.
That aside, you wouldn't be trading "one problem for another" if you made a system that has nothing you find to be a problem. It would be perfect, and not unlike D&D, whose defenders tell you to rewrite the book anyway.
>>
File: Dick Training Quest.jpg (531 KB, 982x1415)
531 KB
531 KB JPG
>>82987571
In this hentai, the Demon Lord kidnapped a Princess but it gets revealed later on that it's with the intent to court her and she isn't as against marrying him as she claims as when she gets exposed to an placebo incense that she is told is an aphrodisiac, she pins him down and fucks him silly.
>>
>>82987591
One time, the players got the idea to blackmail a prince and I tore a page out of this hentai and had the blackmail material be that he's fucking his six foot tall, dark-skinned ladyknight bodyguard.
>>
>>82987607
>>82987591
Huh. These are oddly cute.
>>
>>82966954
>What are some unusual sources of inspiration for adventures/settings? Stuff like this absolutely screams D&D to me.

Do this
1-Get a music genre, painting genre, sculpture genre, decor genre.....
2-List down all the characteristics of that genre.
3-Convert those genre characteristics using logic, literaly skills and skills at the art form you are converting
4-Make a rpg with all characteristics of step 3
>>
>>82974147
Based.
>>
>>82974147
Why are people obsessed with Bionicle? Isn't it just toy selling like Transformers?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.