[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 84876154_p0.png (3.18 MB, 1620x1220)
3.18 MB
3.18 MB PNG
What's the race most suited for fitting the "diplomatic" schtick in generic fantasy and sci-fi settings?
>>
Humanity. The history of humanity is the triumph of diplomacy and trade.
>>
>>82322858
>Spend 99% of their history at war
>The League of Nations is an utter failure
>The United nations is a complete joke
>Have already had two world wars and are ramping up for a third
>Would rather use weapons of mass destruction on each other than find a peaceful solution
>Devolves into barbaric tribalism with people being lynched on the street the minute anything bad happens
Is this a joke?
>>
>>82322883
The world has grown more peaceful and interconnected despite all that. We've gone from tribal groups to complex global trade networks. Japan was nuked twice and less than a century later is a close ally of the people who did it while culture is freely exchanged between their people.
>>
>>82322914
This isn't a peace, this is the calm before the storm, the "peace for our time" before everything goes to shit again. Humans don't make peace, we merely kick the can of war down the road so that the war will be even bigger and more devastating.
>>
>>82322844
Halflings
>>
>>82322956
The fact that we're having this conversation on a global telecommunications network proves you wrong. The trend of humanity has been towards more peace, more trade, and more diplomacy. After the next war we'll pick up the pieces and build again.
>>
>>82322883
Lmao can literally only name events from the past 80 years.
>>
ITT: people drawing conclusions from a sample size of one(1)
>>
File: get lit and die.jpg (52 KB, 720x696)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
>>82322956
Actually you're both right and
>>82323022
Doesn't even realize he just tacitly admitted it.
The duality of man, man.
>>
>>82322844
Elves of the high variety
>>
>>82323037
Before the past 80 years we were even MORE violent. Genocide and enslavement was the norm, diplomacy and peace was a rarity.
>>
>>82323055
>just tacitly admitted it.
I'm not denying war doesn't happen, just that on a long time scale our ability to make peace has outstripped our ability to make war
>>
>>82323094
>diplomacy and peace was a rarity.
How did we get from small tribes to nation states of millions of people if diplomacy and peace were rarities?
>>
>>82323109
Tribes conquered other tribes, becoming bigger in the process.
>>
>>82323142
What state exits when the war was over?
>>
>>82323142
>genocide was the norm
>all these people assimilated after fighting
Which is it?
>>
>OP is arguing humans can't be the diplomacy race because humans go to war
>OP posted tau as his example of a diplomacy race when the tau are literally at war in his picture
>>
>>82323171
Depends on the period. Early nomadic tribes would typically kill the men and enslave the women and children. Later on it was common to enslave the men and then work them to death in the mines.
>>
>>82323254
The difference is that the Tau will at least try to entice you with honey before they pull out the vinegar to force you into their empire. The Imperium will kill your entire species regardless of what you do, there's no reasoning with them, no diplomacy.
>>
>>82323275
The Imperium isn't real. Real humans will try to entice you before war as well.
>>
>>82323308
If the Imperium wasn't accurate to how humans behave, it wouldn't be so popular with HFY fans.
>>
>>82323325
HFY fans are subhuman, much like the Imperium
>>
>>82322883
kek, the upcoming economical collapse disagrees, but then again starting a war in the middle of a recession is so stupid that america might actually go for it
>>
Not Tau. Tau diplomacy is an oxymoron
>>
>>82323325
>>82323518
you idiots you realise you are human? Fucking subhuman identity fags.
>>
>>82323275
There’s no reasoning with the Tau. It’s join or die. That isn’t diplomacy. If you don’t join they will kill you.
>>
>>82323254
It’s ironic isn’t it. Besides humans are shown to be diplomatic in 40k in the proper use of the word. One of the first Tau stories was about a human diplomat.
Tau on the other hand aren’t diplomatic in truth. They ramp up the pressure to join until they start bombing you then ultimately wipe you out if you don’t submit to their rule.
So far the Orks are the only one to defeat Tau diplomacy.
>>
>>82323644
>you idiots you realise you are human?
Yes, that's why I celebrate humanity for its ability to build, not only for when it destroys things.
>>
>>82323755
>completely irrelevant reply
You anti-hfy posters are retards. Years of having your brains melted by humans = whites, aliens = minorities, American Schlock.
>>
>>82322844
Either it's a Mary Sue race or it's humanity. For the former, it's a pacifist creator's perfect self-insert/mouthpiece. For the latter, history has been defined by both the creation of increasingly complex systems to kill each other and equally complex systems to restrain them.
>>
>>82323773
The Imperium isn't a celebration of humanity
>>
>>82323736
Orks can also do diplomacy, incidentally.
Of a sort.
From the 5th edition Ork codex:

Inbound: Dis is Nugrob da Slayer callin'. I got me boyz wiv me. Fort you lot might want to make a deal. You give us a thousand shootas each time we visit, and yer ain't go no more worries, see?
Governor Kubris: We're not giving into your outrageous ultimatum - never!
Inbound: Shame about that, cos I got 'arf a dozen Dreadmobs and a couple of Gargants wiv me.
-pause-
Kubris: Let us have a few hours to reconsider.
Inbound: Nah, I feel like lettin' out the Gargants after all, har har har!
>>
>>82323802
Fuck off retard Marxist.
>>
>>82323805
It most lore it’s implied Orks can not be bargained with so they are much like the Tau.
The point of diplomacy is so independent nations can co-exist without violence.
>>
>>82323818
Any fascist worth their salt would find the Imperium disgusting.
>>
>>82323896
>fascist
Back to your forum you dumb cunt
>>
>>82323916
I'm happy to use whatever label you want to pick for yourself, but you're a deficient example of your ideology if you consider the Imperium a celebration of your values.
>>
>>82323929
Go look for fascists under your bed Marxist.
>>
>>82323962
I have far more respect for fascists than I do you. I'm good friends with them. Fascists at least profess a love for their people.
>>
>>82323986
Please be quiet you half wit
>>
>>82323989
I accept your concession.
>>
>>82323773
Once again, tourists win at unintentional irony.
>>
Since this thread is Tau fag anti-imperium bait. We can do a little myth busting

Myth #47: Imperium never holds negotiations with xenos races
Lore: Disgust and hatred towards xenos is widespread and is encouraged amongst common imperial citizens, and for most of them a thought of seeing, let alone speaking, to one, is abhorrent. However, a lot of high-ranked imperials understand the value of diplomacy, alliances and occasional trade, so the negotiations and temporary alliances in order to achieve shared goals do happen pretty often. There is never a total trust in these meetings, and both sides are likely to keep their weaponry nearby, but in the harsh conditions of the 41st millennium it is often necessary to negotiate in order to survive. There is even a ritual of xenos sanctification, allowing some of them to visit human worlds with a guardian.
>>
>>82323994
The regularity with which I see the same trolling end with this post makes me believe you are the same shit huffing mong doing it.
>>
>>82323841
You can't *induce* an Ork to want to negotiate, and they won't ever want to negotiate peace, best you can achieve is bribing them to kill something else.
>>
>>82323995
Anti-hfy has never been clever. In fact it just indicates mental illness.
>>
>>82324010
The regularity with which Imperium fanboys sperg out and yell about marxists makes me think you are the same shit huffing mong doing it.
>>
>>82324013
Makes you wonder why the humans have never thought of weaponising the Orks by misdirecting them into the Tau
>>
>>82324024
Imperium isn't HFY, why do you keep bringing up HFY?
>>
>>82324029
The regularity with which Marxists sperg out and yell about Imperial fanboys makes me think you are the same shit huffing mong doing it.
>>
>>82324042
>gaslighting
I accept your concession.
>>
>>82324013
>>82324036
Individual planetary governers have done this, but the problem is once the orks are done doing the job you paid them for they come back and kill you out of boredom.
>>
The imperium is a lot more diverse in thinking than it’s critics claims. Unlike the Tau Empire.
>>
>>82324061
>humanity lives in crime ridden disgusting shitpiles where the average lifespan is late 20s at best
>HFY
>>
>>82324068
FFG's version of 40k, while superior, is basically another setting.
>>
>>82324066
Yeah this is part of the inevitably theme in 40k. Eventually the cosmic rule is an ally will be an enemy. Orks are the best example of that
>>
>>82324076
Myth #42: All people in the Imperium live in a horrifying tyranny
Lore: People in the Imperium inhabit a million worlds with very different natural conditions: from death worlds to the paradise planets. On most of them planetary governors don't have total control and the social conditions in the human empire are just as varied as the natural ones. Many forge worlds utilise mind control and massed slavery, while on many planets even the word "passport" is unknown. On most planets life is indeed very harsh, but it is mostly so because of difficult conditions or a constant threat of war.
>>
>imperium apologists invade a generic sci-fi thread to ruin it
you don't need to run constant damage control for the imperium it isn't a real place they're going to be fine without you
>>
>>82324109
Myth #43: 40k-era humans beleve in the ideals of 21st century
Lore: As humans of the 3rd millennium, we accept a lot of basic principles without question - principles like people equality, their basic rights to life and freedom. We also believe in progress, we accept that all power comes from the people and in many other principles. But any moral system is just a reflection of the outside conditions and 40k-era humans think very differently.

Imperium-era humans, see no inherent value to human life or dignity: life is given meaning and value by it's usefulness to the Emperor. They would only laugh at the problems that we consider important today. Most of the Imperium citizens believe in a great plan, devised by the Emperor, accept their role as a tiny cog in an imperial machine, worship the mighty incomprehensible technology of the lost ages and hate everything alien to them. While in a lot of fantasy settings there isn't a lot in terms of a medieval mentality, 40k does resemble real middle ages in a lot of ways and the mentality of the people of M41 doesn't have much in common with a modern way of thinking.
>>
>>82324107
>to the paradise planets.
Only a brain damaged Imperium fag would think the existence of planet sized versions of Epsteins island is somehow a positive thing.
>>
>>82324109
Op probably shouldn't have used an image more interesting then his first post. Almost like that's a rule or something.
>>
>>82324121
Most worlds in the imperium are like medieval agriculture worlds like merry old England or Padmes world from Star Wars.

Just like Mexico City, LA, Beijing etc are regarded as shitholes by us so are hive worlds.
>>
>>82322844
A race of unapologetic disease-curing whores. They sell sex and cures for all illnesses and use it to barter peace with hostile or stronger groups. Anyone who attacks them threatens not just a panacea to all space-faring illness and biological weapons but also smoking-hot pussy and cum-dumpsters. Peace through mainteance of universal cosntants: fear of illness and want for sex. Even asexual alien races will still want to not get sick.
>>
Tau fags gonna tau fag. Lie lie lie, gaslight, whataboutism, ad hominem, strawmanning etc.
Much like the Tau themselves.
>>
>>82324162
Nobody in this thread has defended Tau you schizo
>>
>>82324194
You gonna cry Tau fag? Piss your pants?
>>
>>82324086
FFG tau are enlightened Mary Sues so I'm not sure why he'd bring up FFG to talk good about the Imperium
>>
>>82324322
The Tau are never enlightened. Their entire society is built on top down totalitarian mind control.
They therefore don’t even have a culture.
Saying you agree with them or identify with them is a paradox. Tau don’t even agree with their views as they aren’t their own, the Tau’va is what ever the Ethereals say it is. The greater good is not a noble choice but an arbitrary order to obey.
>>
File: 80207941_p0.png (357 KB, 977x940)
357 KB
357 KB PNG
The majority of the Tau worlds were annexed without a single-shot using the Water Caste. In the grim darkness of the 41st millenium that's basically as diplomatic as you're gonna get from any faction.
>>
>>82324458
That isn’t ‘diplomacy’ that’s imperialism.
>>
Why are imperiumtards so braindead?
>>
Why are Tau fags lying retards?
>>
>>82322883
>Spend 99% of their history at war
You implying that ancient warfare was nonstop like more modern ones?
>The League of Nations is an utter failure
Fair is fair
>The United nations is a complete joke
Sorta, they are in a conundrum where if they actually try to enforce anything once peaceful solution has failed they will be accused of threatening sovereignty
You are a funny guy if you think either china or us have the guts to put their precious international trade at risk
>Would rather use weapons of mass destruction on each other than find a peaceful solution
Ah yes, we did have nuclear war that wasn't stopped by diplomacy, didn't we?
>Devolves into barbaric tribalism with people being lynched on the street the minute anything bad happens
Ah yes the famous lynchings related to the pandemic
>>
>>82324568
Not as brain dead as a mind controlled Tau being ordered to kill himself.

Pic related Tau being liberated from ethereal tyranny by a friendly imperial Chad
>>
>>82324584
>say humanity would be the generic diplomacy race
>get called a taufag
There are 80 other 40k threads for you to do your tankie genocide denial shit in
>>
>>82322883
Nukes ironically facilitated peace since the 1950s.
Imagine how fucked the world would be without nukes. Considering what wars were like before nukes.
>>
>>82324616
That post wasn’t directed at anyone, meds now.
>>
>>82324665
It was directed at me!
>>
>>82322858
fpbp

I makes the most sense for humans to be the centrist faction because every alien faction is going to be defined by their differences from us anyway
>>
>>82324635
Which says a lot that the only thing that can possibly facilitate reasonable human diplomacy is the threat of everyone dying to nuclear war.
>>
>>82324665
>I'm not talking to anyone I'm just talking at random
meds now
>>
>>82324694
Do keep in mind that most wars in history were due to economic reasons
>>
>>82324694
Human diplomacy has existed for thousands of years.
>>
File: 40k poster chart.png (331 KB, 1231x1195)
331 KB
331 KB PNG
never change /tg/
>>
>>82324694
It’s called a nuclear deterrent. There’s no point acting belligerent when you can get nuked off the earth. Nukes defeated warfare in a sense.
>why do we have wars then still
Inherent corruption and deceit from politics. Politics greater threat > than war itself.
>>
>>82322844
the long-lived ones.
seriously. age gives perspective. its why, in most of our history, the oldest ones are treated as wise people. An entire race of beings who have lived generations worth of time can attest to the importance of peace and stability. Imagine what OUR world would be like if we could last an entire century without some sort of war occurring, especially with how technology is now.

The only downside to Age is the lack of inherent mental flexibility. OUR brains grow "stiff" as we age. White matter- the state of the brain that can program new neural pathways- ages into grey matter as we grow older. Its why our taste in music doesnt change after 25, why we have trouble learning new games after 35, and why those damn kids need to get off my lawn at 45. However, once you start delving into fictional biology, its a simple handwave to ignore that particular issue.
>>
>>82324725
This is exactly why Tau are not that guy. They are a young inexperienced race.
Their whole bullshit culture is lies and just totalitarian governance.
>>
>>82324712
>Do keep in mind that most wars in history were due to economic reasons
The autists ITT are trying to define diplomacy as some unnatural form of selfless charity that humans will inevitably abandon for their true nature of mindless violence. In reality diplomacy and war are complimentary tools to help humans get what they want, and long term diplomacy has gained popularity because it's more profitable than war.
>>
>>82324715
Political compass charts are usually bottom of the barrel humor but this one is painfully dead on.
>>
>>82324747
Diplomacy exists because if the philosophical realisation nations exist in a world with other nations and conflict isn’t the only way of dealing with other nations.
Different nations can just be friends.
>>
>>82324765
Nothing with a wojak is good.
>>
>>82324744
Stop bringing up Tau you freak nobody gives a shit about the Tau
>>
>>82324747
No idea which side you are referring to
I’m this poster btw (double posting)
>>82324766

I’m the guy being called an imperial fanboy a fascist and hfy guy.
I think diplomacy is better, really go figure.
>>
>>82324783
No i think I’ll continue to criticise Tau. Faggot. In fact I’ll double the amount of criticism.
>>
File: halfling_magic.png (441 KB, 1071x1155)
441 KB
441 KB PNG
Whoa, my art.
Anyways, I think that the elves in Dungeon Meshi are a fun interpretation of a ruthless diplomatic regime. They send out their secret police to shut down unapproved sites (ostensibly to protect us), and openly look down on the rest of us as inferior/children who barely deserve an explanation.
>>
File: E6I1WS1XMAAhfx7.jpg (55 KB, 826x617)
55 KB
55 KB JPG
>>82322956
It's always the height of hubris for morons like this anon to believe they live at the precipice of some great collapse or end. We live in a time of unprecedented global peace and prosperity and he thinks because his country's politics isn't swinging his way we must be heading to a complete collapse that will somehow erase all the advancement we've made that allowed such peace to form.

He's probably one of the types that ignores signs of actual disasters outside of politics and war in favor of thinking the next election cycle is when things will fall apart globally.
>>
>>82325554
The only hubris here is in thinking that THIS time of peace is finally the peace that will be the way that defines the future. There was peace before WW1, then everything went to shit. There was peace before WW2, then everything went to shit. There was peace after the fall of the Soviet Union, then 9/11 and Bush happened. Whenever humanity has a moment of peace, it's taken away.
>>
>>82325407
Reminds me of how the Vulcans in Enterprise were portrayed.
>>
>>82325579
Yeah that's not at all how any of that worked. Old fashioned forms of war no longer work at our current technological level. The entire point of those wars was us learning how the old rules of war no longer made sense post-industrial.

Hubris is all the end times doomsayers who assume that their time will be the last. Who predicted a thousand raptures over two thousand years but were never right. The end of their perceived world for a disaster was always immanent!

But our politics aren't all that bad now compared to even 50 years ago. It's just a poor awareness of modern history and politics making you think otherwise. What's going on now that will bring us as low as you seem to think? If you were right, how low can we actually fall now?

You a prepper? Got a little tunnel in the woods with more guns than food? The modern world ain't going nowhere. Your country could collapse and others won't. Hubris is thinking you're special enough the world won't continue on after you and your time is the unique one where it all fails.
>>
>>82323101
Humanity only ensures more humanity.
The scale of both war and leave is unimaginable to earlier times.
>>
>>82324370
That take is garbage since T'au are different persons with their own opinions and Ethereal control is short-range and isn't absolute which is why they use propaganda.

For example, Farsight's sept still honors Farsight despite his betrayal and the efforts of the Ethereals to discredit him.
>>
>>82325579
Why do you consider war the natural state we return to rather than moments of war that get taken away? You have a very pessimistic view of things.
>>
>>82324001
They only hold extensive diplomatic” relation with the jakiro and eldar.
The former are pretty much pets for inquisitors.
The latter is a race primarily of rape-fuckers, with a minority they hold “diplomacy” with being shooting at them ineffectually while the elder do their thing and fuck off back to their space asylums.
Also the admech asking the deldar to look at big-e on the throne.
Other than the recent Gullimen arc, the imperium really has 0 relations with xenos.
Everything else is faggot cope from other dead scifi fandoms bringing in their baggage from said sad dead Reddit shitpiles.
Only.
War.
Understanding isn’t the goal, at best it’s a means to an ends.
The tau by the way are horrible used.
It’s almost a joke how poorly their narrative space is used.
Odorous even.
>>
>>82324370
Not in FFG. Which was what I was talking about.

I agree with you 100% for the real lore, but FFG is full of tripe about them being an ideal society that solved most of their problems, including shit that we know they can't do like Genestealer vaccinations, with superior technology and common sense.
>>
>>82325748
I'm not sure about other countries, but statistically the USA has spent 93% of its existence at war. War seems to be the default state of mankind.
>>
>>82324068
>Unlike the Tau Empire.
That's stupid. The T'au do that and more. And it's not illegal to do so. Besides, this FFG lore goes against codex lore like the Deathwatch that says contact with the xenos is not tolerated at all in the Imperium.
>>
>>82325764
>including shit that we know they can't do like Genestealer vaccinations
Why wouldn't they be able to do it?
>>
>>82323755
ability to build protovaginas right?
Fuck outta here troomer groomer.
There will NEVER be female space marines.
>>
>>82325777
Because they've been corrupted by genestealers before. Ergo widespread immunity to genestealers isn't a real thing.
>>
>>82322883
Compared to aliens, that's a fabulous record.
>>
>>82325777
GSC are a problem in T'au colonises especially the ones beyond the the across the Startide Nexus. There are newer BL stories featuring T'au cs GSC and it doesn't mention anyone about a Genestealer infection cure.
It's just another case of FFG being not canon.
>>
>>82325813
Being corrupted by genestealers before does not preclude the possibility of them developing vaccinations to them. Developing technology to solve new problems is their whole schtick.
>>
>>82323262
>>82323142
>>82323094
lol at this high school-level education
>>
>>82325824
The corruption happened in a timeline post Guillimans return which is after what FFG worked. We know at least they don't have it at present in the current setting, and based on how Tyranids adapt probably never will
>>
>>82323986
>nobody:
>marxist: FASCISTS!!!!11!
Communists are an embarrassment.
>>
>>82325824
The timeline does. The FFG material happens in 980-997 41M. The GW material is happening post 999 41M and 12-100 years later. The T'au are still facing GSC uprisings and infiltration within their own population and their allied populations. There is no mention of a cure.
>>
>>82325767
Anon your perception is warped by how history is remembered.

You know the effect the media has of only reporting bad things because that's all anyone will pay attention to? History is a matter of people writing down major events, points of change, things that were exception to the norm in their lives. War, major political upheaval, natural disasters, things that stood out.

History is all about wars. Because peace was not something worth writing about. Wars are the exception not the norm for humanity. It's moronic to throw around the misanthropic idea that humanity is a war race and peace is the exception, given how long either tends to last the opposite is true.
>>
>>82325767
The global empire being involved in some minor intervention or police action doesn't disqualify the diplomacy or peace going on elsewhere.
>>
>>82323773
>aliens = minorities
lmao when has this ever happened? No, muh avatar isn't everything that's out there
>>
>>82325853
simple, the implantation process evolved to bypass the vaccine

also, it wasn't even a vaccine, they were recoding DNA to remove a latent strain of the genestealer virus.
>>
>>82325751
The Gothic War had elfaboos hailing their eldar allies in their own language.
>>
>>82326236
District 9 comes to mind.
>>
>>82326236
Men in Black
>>
>>82326236
Hell, Star Trek is probably the trope originator. With the exception of the Vulcans and the Klingons, who represent a higher level of civilizational development and a militarized civilization, respectively, basically every minor species is, well... a minority. Particularly the ones that are encountered for a single episode and are on a lower level of civilizational development than Starfleet.
>>
>>82323630
>Not Tau. Tau diplomacy is an oxymoron
>>82323665
>There’s no reasoning with the Tau. It’s join or die. That isn’t diplomacy. If you don’t join they will kill you.
Be mad you wanna-be Neo-Nazi; Everyone in 40k is a Dark Gray at BEST in their morality because such a state of ONLY PERPETUAL WAR can't be justify otherwise and is a FICTIONAL CONCEPT specifically because the fatigue of such a setting would burn out its inhabitants LONG before it could reach Galactic scale.

>>82323736
>So far the Orks are the only one to defeat Tau diplomacy.
I don't know, the Dark Eldar had a pretty good laugh with it.

>>82324087
>Yeah this is part of the inevitably theme in 40k. Eventually the cosmic rule is an ally will be an enemy. Orks are the best example of that
Which is a SHIT cosmic rule, because why hasn't everyone just killed everyone else by now?!
"MUH GRIMDARK!"

>>82324120
>Most of the Imperium citizens believe in a great plan, devised by the Emperor, accept their role as a tiny cog in an imperial machine
Just 'cus you're an Authoritarian Boot-licker doesn't mean you actually have a net value...

>>82324159
>A race of unapologetic disease-curing whores. They sell sex and cures for all illnesses and use it to barter peace with hostile or stronger groups. Anyone who attacks them threatens not just a panacea to all space-faring illness and biological weapons but also smoking-hot pussy and cum-dumpsters. Peace through mainteance of universal cosntants: fear of illness and want for sex. Even asexual alien races will still want to not get sick.
I LIKE IT!

>>82324502
>That isn’t ‘diplomacy’ that’s imperialism.
Tomato potato...

>>82324685
>I makes the most sense for humans to be the centrist faction because every alien faction is going to be defined by their differences from us anyway
Unfortunately yes, at least until we become the Medic Waifu race...
>>
>>82326249
There was never a point in the actual lore that the Tau were immune to Genestealers. It was never said to be a thing. Even the thing that said that Tau were inferior hosts to humans said it was because of the Ethereal's influence, nothing about tech solutions.

Stop pretending FFG matters.
>>
File: 1410424779680.png (78 KB, 817x380)
78 KB
78 KB PNG
>>82324747
>The autists ITT are trying to define diplomacy as some unnatural form of selfless charity that humans will inevitably abandon for their true nature of mindless violence. In reality diplomacy and war are complimentary tools to help humans get what they want, and long term diplomacy has gained popularity because it's more profitable than war.
Based Ferengi Poster.

>>82325777
>Why wouldn't they be able to do it?
>>82325813
>Because they've been corrupted by genestealers before. Ergo widespread immunity to genestealers isn't a real thing.
>>82325824
>Being corrupted by genestealers before does not preclude the possibility of them developing vaccinations to them. Developing technology to solve new problems is their whole schtick.
>>82326249
>simple, the implantation process evolved to bypass the vaccine
>also, it wasn't even a vaccine, they were recoding DNA to remove a latent strain of the genestealer virus.
Yeah, remember Genestealers physically insert their genetic material into a host species, the Tau "Cure" was probably going in again and physically rewriting BACK to something that resembles what it was before.
Doable, but not necessary a feasible solution at the Interstellar scale the Genestealer infection operates.

>>82326604
>There was never a point in the actual lore that the Tau were immune to Genestealers. It was never said to be a thing. Even the thing that said that Tau were inferior hosts to humans said it was because of the Ethereal's influence, nothing about tech solutions.
Again this is a genetic level war, something Tyranids have been bullshitted as being able to match literal Chaos Magik Bullshit.
Honestly the 'Nids could win the entire Galaxy by making Tyraniforming into an STD that eventually transforms you into a horny Tirraniddo Waifu!
>>
>>82322883
>spend 99% of their history at war
That's just flat out incorrect, unless you claim that a war happening at some point somewhere on the world counts.
A lot more time is spent out of war than in war. And in cold war than in shooting war.
>>
>>82322883

War is diplomacy by other means.
>>
>>82322844
The one's with the biggest dicks; everybody loves dicks, listen, we asked this question of a focus group and almost 70% of returned questionaires featured dicks drawn on them. This blew us out of the water, with this type of powerful market research we can always stay at the crest of the market, anticipating the demand for dicks ahead of the need for dicks. A deep understanding of the many varied and dynamic forces which drive the consumption of dicks can lead to untold proffit. It also explains why the simulation started slapping dicks on chicks and stocking them by every checkout counter. Dicks are the hot new thing and you need to get on them.
>>
File: Spoiler Image (48 KB, 479x415)
48 KB
48 KB JPG
>>82327199
>Dicks are the hot new thing and you need to get on them.
Bah, TENTACLE PUSSY IS SUPERIOR!!!
>>
>>82324715
>walls of text
>political strawmen
Out, now. You're not welcome.
>>
>>82326756
>Again this is a genetic level war, something Tyranids have been bullshitted as being able to match literal Chaos Magik Bullshit.
>Honestly the 'Nids could win the entire Galaxy by making Tyraniforming into an STD that eventually transforms you into a horny Tirraniddo Waifu!
Tyranids never live up to their reputation. For all the talk about how invincible and rapidly evolving they are, their combat and feeding methods are very inefficient, and they have a range of exploitable weaknesses
>>
>>82327414
Meh, I made it two years ago, and have seen it reposted occasionally since then.

Pretty much everything on there is stuff I have seen on /tg/, some of them on countless occasions, not my fault some of you guys are so predictable.
>>
>>82325748
He's a leftist. They spend all their time being pessimistic and trying to lecture others to make them pessimistic too.
>>
>>82327953
leftist or not, pessimists ARE usually much more accurate than optimists and we should be more pessimistic.
>>
File: 1637295206726.jpg (437 KB, 1400x1789)
437 KB
437 KB JPG
>>82322844

What is diplomacy, OP? The whole premise of the question depends on the definition.
>>
File: __ride__by_mixsan_dd08trd.png (1.1 MB, 1204x1146)
1.1 MB
1.1 MB PNG
>>82327653
>Tyranids never live up to their reputation. For all the talk about how invincible and rapidly evolving they are, their combat and feeding methods are very inefficient, and they have a range of exploitable weaknesses
Well I mean, it is a setting for a WARGAME, and an Army that can't loose the Battle is a crappy Army to play against.
Hell, Chaos by fluffwank can't loose the WAR despite the player base kicking its ass in every public event, and the level of "NU-UH" GW has to pull to justify them not being completely BTFO'd just infuriates people more.
>>
>>82325842
>using le ebic reddit meme format
you have to go back
>>
>>82327984
Pessimists let life pass them by waiting for a crash that everyone moves on past anyway if it ever comes. Anyone who bets against humanity has been proven wrong long term. Life can remain irrational longer than you can remain solvent.
>>
>>82328733
anyone who bets humanity will fuck up has been proven right every time, however.
>>
>>82328802
The fuckups are manageable and the effects are far more transitory than the pessimists would predict.
>>
>>82328828
I dunno, the pessimists have predicted a LOT of ends of civilizations. Which were generally as bad as described.
>>
>>82328857
>predicted
They say its all going to end every year and most years it doesn't.
>as bad as described
Can't have been that bad, we're still collectively here, more numerous and advanced than ever.
>>
>>82328874
and now you're just glossing over the repetitive and incredible terrible nature of the many failings there will be.
And when it comes time to eat each other because of your bad decisions, you will act ENTIRELY SHOCKED.
Every goddamn time.
>>
>>82328885
You're glossing over that life tends to find a way.
>because of your bad decisions
Do you think I'm the president or something? I don't have measureable influence on the big picture.
>>
>>82328916
optimists routinely engage in risk taking behavior that results in negative outcomes. Not because they value that the risk is worth it, and are taking an educated risk, but simply because they undervalue the risk.
This is not any kind of noble bravery. It is simple stupidity.
>>
>>82328927
It doesn't matter if its noble or not, it's more effective behavior. Pessimists overestimating consequences and avoiding everything doesn't make them insightful.
>>
>>82328938
It literally does improve the accuracy of their judgements of the future by all metrics we can measure.
Pessimists in charge lead to steady growth and long lasting foundations.
>>
>>82328953
>Pessimists in charge lead to steady growth and long lasting foundations.
So a pessimist in charge would make you optimistic?
>>
>>82328998
ironically, yes.
I am vulnerable to being blinded by hope.
>>
>>82322844
>Generic fantasy
Elves.

>Sci fi setting
Space Elves.
>>
>>82328122
>Well I mean, it is a setting for a WARGAME, and an Army that can't loose the Battle is a crappy Army to play against.
Yeah but I like it when the fluff sort of supports the crunch and nids are probably the furthest off

>Hell, Chaos by fluffwank can't loose the WAR despite the player base kicking its ass in every public event, and the level of "NU-UH" GW has to pull to justify them not being completely BTFO'd just infuriates people more.
Chaos is fine since you can justify everything they do or don't by them being insane
>>
>>82324024
Ok mutt.
>>
>>82328003
Cute proto-elves!
>>
>>82324715
Dan Abnett is actually the best writer for 40k books, though.
>>
>>82324783
I miss them back when their focus was being an actual empire with auxiliaries. Gundam-era Tau are boring as shit. Only suits should ever have been the stealth suits, crisis suits, and broadsides; and part of me doesn't even like the last.
>>
File: 1377064533424.jpg (167 KB, 700x547)
167 KB
167 KB JPG
>>82331909
>Yeah but I like it when the fluff sort of supports the crunch and nids are probably the furthest off
Well they're an inexhaustible horde of Space Locust, as Wargaming fluff goes that's pretty good at explaining why your constantly getting into fights but can never completely annihilated.
Crunch wise they could and probably do have some Enemy Subversion Kit, but the Spiker Plant is a basic FIELD HAZARD that does a similar thing...

>Chaos is fine since you can justify everything they do or don't by them being insane
Yeah, but there's this authorial obsession with GRIMDERP Edginess along with that.
It's like an inverse of their issues with the Tau; Being Cartoonishly EVIL just for the sake of it!

Why CAN'T I have my Enlighten Hedonist Slaaneshi Feminazi's, Titty Tentacle Monsters that are altruistic but also batshit insane?

>>82332111
>I miss them back when their focus was being an actual empire with auxiliaries. Gundam-era Tau are boring as shit.
Yeah, even as a /m/echa Lover I dislike the Suit-wank; The Tau were originally the Tacticool Realist who'd look at the Ridiculousness of a Titan and ask, "Why didn't you just build one giant Gunship, or a few dozen smaller craft that can themselves be used as Emergency Projectiles if absolutely needed?!"

"Gundams" are already too Super Robot for them, they'd rather a VOTOMS and should use it as a piece of Hardware, not a Showpiece.
The Suits should be their Marine equivalent!
>>
>>82332072
Yeah, but he likes stretching 40k lore to the max to incorporate his favorite tropes and make interesting stories, therefore often gets cited by people who like to make their headcanons as unique as possible.
>>
>>82332641
>Why CAN'T I have my Enlighten Hedonist Slaaneshi Feminazi's, Titty Tentacle Monsters that are altruistic but also batshit insane?
Probably because being enlightened and altruistic requires a certain amount of consistency, so they wouldn't really be batshit insane then.
>>
File: Lore.png (909 KB, 1000x538)
909 KB
909 KB PNG
>>82322844
The race of... women!
>>
>>82332665
That's why I like him so much desu. He doesn't quite respect the sanctity of neckbeard lore and will focus on telling a good story in the spirit of the setting, which makes his writing 100% better than anyone not willing to get creative and do cool stuff.

Also his Guard books are crazy good in part because he focuses a lot on both the human emotional element AND telling a good war-story with a lot of emphasis on sensible strategy. Double-Eagle is crazy good because it hits all the classic pilot story tropes, tells really fantastic aerial action, and also focuses on the overarching strategy of why we're doing air war in the first place, and what we're doing it for.
>>
File: Spoiler Image (489 KB, 1700x1920)
489 KB
489 KB JPG
TAKE DAKKA
>>
>>82332739
>Probably because being enlightened and altruistic requires a certain amount of consistency, so they wouldn't really be batshit insane then.
But isn't an off-quoted definition of Insanity to do the same thing over and over again and expect a different outcome?
Sounds pretty consistent to me.
After all, while my Daughters are INCORRECT about "masculinity" being the source of all that ails the 40k universe, they're not exactly WRONG either...

>>82333477
>He doesn't quite respect the sanctity of neckbeard lore and will focus on telling a good story in the spirit of the setting, which makes his writing 100% better than anyone not willing to get creative and do cool stuff.
Honestly never read him, but that's a pretty good recommendation to me.
Like how Miriael Sabathiel fails as a special Character; A Sororita that willingly falls to Chaos isn't terribly special because one of the things that makes the Sororita unique in the first place is their Iron Clad Faith in the face of everything else.
While a Sister loosing her Faith might make for an interesting story, being defined by it is a self-negating character trait; If she's lost the thing that made her special, why are we invested in her?
>>
File: 1581439089265.jpg (53 KB, 480x360)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
>>82322883
War is an intregal part of diplomacy and diplomacy is an integral part of war.
>>
>>82322883
>>82335323
War is the last step of diplomacy. Whether or not it's a fail-state kind of depends on your opinion, I guess.
>>
>>82334433
Holy dubs.
>>
>>82322858
fpbp
>>
>>82332019

Cute feet as well
>>
>>82325588
>Vulcans insist that the Prime Directive of the Federation be that you can't talk to/interact with pre-Warp races because cultural contamination is bad
>Vulcans literally uplifted Earth 5 minutes after out first ship went Warp 1 and are implied to be the only reason why Humanity recovered after the Eugenics Wars
>>
>>82325818
everything is canon you fucking nitwit, GW contradicts itself plenty without any outside influence, so stop treating RPG sourcebooks or video games as something somehow separate. And stop treating warhammer "canon" as some prescriptive, objective thing. It isn't.
>>
>>82323576
Wars usually get started in recessions, bro.
>>
>>82338671
That's the basic premise yes, but the problem was how they went about doing that. The show starts with humans constantly annoyed at being talked down to by Vulcans and treated like children, and the Vulcans acting like judgmental and overly critical parents who nothing is ever good enough for.

When they finally take their better warp drive out they encounter a half dozen other races that had identical interactions to the Vulcans. Guess what? None of them could take that shit and declared Vulcans their enemies and distrust the humans because they have a Vulcan on board.

The Vulcans had a good idea on paper but they have horrible people skills and aren't very good at interacting with other races. They always come off as arrogant and condescending even when they are technically acting in a generous way or in their minds they're being fair. On top of that Enterprise finds other things Vulcans have been doing for their idea of the greater good, and wars they're fighting because their logic is just a cover for stubborn pride in those cases.

So Vulcans actually have a lot in common in attitude to the dungeon meshi elves and other kinds of elves who due to their long lives tend to look down on other races.
>>
>>82322883
>American goes full American
Colour me surprised
>>
>>82332665
But, since he isn't a shit writer, he keeps the off-the-wall stuff to his 'OC' sector of space. He doesn't write retarded shit about general practice throughout the Imperium. And the stuff he adds is a good addition to the setting anyway.
>>
>>82322844
stop spamming porn threads
>>
>>82347719
?
>>
>>82332665
>""stretches"" 40k """"lore""""
who the fuuuuuck cares, like seriously who cares that when Abnett wrote a sickass hoverbike chase into one of his books that "ERR AKTUALLY hoverbikes are basically non-existent in 40k!! Not even space marines have them, except Sammael!"
>>
>>82324715
Actually made me kek.
>>
>>82322883
>>Have already had two world wars

It took us the better part of 250,000 years to have those two world wars; I'm not sure where this "already" is coming into play.
>>
>>82338671
>>Vulcans insist that the Prime Directive of the Federation be that you can't talk to/interact with pre-Warp races

That's not wholly true. You cannot INITIATE contact with pre-warp races, nor allow them to know that you exist. But if the race initiates contact themselves then you're free to talk back and interact with them.

You're also not allowed to share technology on your own initiative, but that's just a sound policy anyway.

>Vulcans literally uplifted Earth

Nope, again. The Vulcan first contact with Earthw as in 2063, but the period on Earth known as the "post-atomic horrors" lasted into the first decade of the 2100s, and the Vulcans were extremely sparing in sharing any technology. They did little more than establish an embassy, encourage the nations of Earth to federate into United Earth ("encourage" here literally just meaning saying 'hey that sounds like a good idea', not meaning to imply any force was used or threatened), and traded extremely simple and basic goods and services and provided basic aid to help repair infrastructure that was already in place to its pre-World War III levels (including humanity's space infrastructure, remember humanity in Star Trek has had anti-grav tech, cryogenic storage, and near-lightspeed travel since the 1990s).

But humans had to develop the warp drive on their own, upgrade and improve upon it on their own, the transporter on their own, etc.

Did you not watch Enterprise? This is all in Enterprise. It's actually a big reason why humanity is annoyed with Vulcans come the 2150s. We WANTED them to uplift us and shower us with tech, but they wouldn't.
>>
>>82338671
>and are implied to be the only reason why Humanity recovered after the Eugenics Wars

Oh, you're a lorelet.

The Eugenics Wars were fought between 1992 and 1996 and killed 30 million people, but were not the major catastrophe that nearly did humanity in. That would be World War III, which was fought between 2026 and 2053.

Genetic manipulation and human genome enhancement was a cause of both the Eugenics Wars and World War III, but the two are distinct. Think of it like how World War I essentially laid the groundwork for World War II, but the two are not the same conflict.
>>
>>82340773
Nope. They pretty much said that they allow novel writers and outhouse developers to do whatever they want with little overwatch. If GW doesn't care about them, then why should we? Not canon.
>>
>>82348807
>then why should we?

Because they're the IP holders, which means they get to decide what's canon, and random schmucks on the Internet don't. GW might not be very responsible with their canon but that's not a license to play pick and choose without them expressly stating that you are free to do so.

Just because you don't like a thing doesn't mean it didn't happen. You need to learn to accept this fact if you want to be treated like an adult.
>>
>>82348842
And they ignore novels and out-house material. Unless it's in a GW source then I am sorry it's not canon. Like how Khornate sorcerers and backflipping terminators are not canon. A rational mind would see that GW only cares what their studio publishes and nothing else.
>>
>>82348885
>Unless it's in a GW source then I am sorry it's not canon

Prove it, post GW stating as much in clear and plain English.
>>
>>82348893
>"George emphasized that Black Library’s main objective was to “tell good stories”. He agreed that some points in certain novels could, perhaps, have benefited from the editor’s red pen (a certain multilaser was mentioned) but was at pains to explain that, just as each hobbyist tends to interpret the background and facts of the Warhammer and 40k worlds differently, so does each author. In essence, each author represents an “alternative” version of the respective worlds. After pressing him further, he explained that only the Studio material (rulebooks, codexes, army books and suchlike) was canonical in that is HAD to be adhered-to in the plots and background of the novels. There was no obligation on authors to adhere to facts and events as spelled out in Black Library work.

Novels and outhouse material are not canon.
>>
>>82348930
Except GW retcons its codices nearly as often as BL authors contradict each other.

I have a feeling this quote applies mostly to older novels, which in some cases were just badly edited, and in others contained material which was fine at the time, but later retconned by newer material.
>>
>>82348807
they great thing about GW not caring about what's canon is that you get also not care about what's canon and think "I don't like that, so for me it's not canon"

what you DON'T get to do is say "I don't like that so it's not canon for EVERYONE"
>>
>>82348930
>"Here's our standard line: Yes it's all official, but remember that we're reporting back from a time where stories aren't always true, or at least 100% accurate. If it has the 40K logo on it, it exists in the 40K universe. Or it was a legend that may well have happened. Or a rumour that may or may not have any truth behind it."

Wow, it's turns out that GW's statements about canon are just as fucked up, contradictory meaningless and wishy-washy as the canon itself! How appropriate!

Here's something that I've said before and I'm sure I'll say again: Everything is canon. You can make the *argument*, sometimes a convincing argument, that some things are "more canon" and some things are "less canon", but it is just that, an argument and nothing more.
>>
>>82324001
The strangers spire on Necromunda is a good example of this.
>>
>>82324715
kek
>>
>>82324715
>Patience Kys
Holy shit, why do I even remember her? She's that telekinetic chick secondary character from Eisenhorn's letdown off-shoot, Ravenor. She made blades go swoosh, and also wanted the D of some muscleman Tyrone from Ravenor's team until the guy died... and that's pretty much it. Why is she even a thing enough to earn a place on that pic?
>>
>>82322844
I would say all of them, but >>82322858 kind of has a point if you think about it.
>>
>>82349873
Nope. Here is the standard line. If GW doesn't give a fuck about something, then the players shouldn't to. Novels and outhouse material are ignored by GW and their lore doesn't enter codexes or rulebooks. If you want to argue that something is canon, you need to prove it. As far as GW is concerned only what's published by their studio is canon.
>>
>>82325817
And which aliens are you comparing us to?
>>
>>82324715
>Eldar dont wear clothes
This is based though
>>
>>82354354
Because novel fans like picking obscure characters to show off they read the novels.

>>82356127
Popular stuff from the novels gets into the codices all the time. Several characters have models, some lingo gets carried over like "vox" or "promethium", locations from FFGs appear on codex maps, etc.

Basically if something doesn't strongly contradict the latest codex, most people on here will treat it like canon.
>>
>>82326603
This post right here why all Tau players should be forcibly kicked out of the hobby. Pure stupid, don’t even read their own codex and are a political obsessed communist cunts.
>>
File: 1400513611628.jpg (178 KB, 700x800)
178 KB
178 KB JPG
>>82358483
>all Tau players should be forcibly kicked out of the hobby
Mate I played Guard...
>>
>>82356127
>the standard line
There's no "standard line", at best you have individuals trying to act as the sole authority on a setting with a hundred "official" voices (who are, justifiably mocked for doing so).

What the readers care about is up to them to decide. The people making the stuff don't give enough of a shit to keep things consistent or coherent and thus their words on what is and isn't acceptable or standard have no meaning.
>>
>>82348806
>>82348766
>>82341875

>Watching Enterprise
Well, there's your problem.
>>
>>82332889
Diplomatic schtick, Anon. Diplomatic SCHTICK. Not diplomatic schlick.
>>
>>82362632
Yes anon it was literally a conversation comparing evles as depicted in one setting to vulcans as depicted in Enterprise specifically (not in anything else but Enterprise). Good job. You solved the problem.
>>
>>82356127
lol no
>>
>>82323576
Resource scarcity is the most fashionable reason to do the war
>>
>>82356127
Gabriel Angelos and Ciaphas Cain have both been made into miniatures, stop talking about shit when you don't know shit
>>
>>82362657
behold, a post of quality
>>
>>82356127
https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Astra-Militarum-Gaunts-Ghosts-2021
>>
I want to put tau into mating press and impregnate her

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.