[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Additional supported file types are: PDF
  • Roll dice with "dice+numberdfaces" in the options field (without quotes).
  • There are 42 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: EZl9eUPUMAA6rAS.jpg (1.06 MB, 4096x2872)
1.06 MB
1.06 MB JPG
Create races for a fantasy setting that are not "Elf/Dwarf/Orc/Hobbit"

Hard Mode: You can't just lift them from existing cultures, they have to be totally original.
>>
No.
>>
>>82318333
I'm not going to do your work for you, leech
>>
>>82318333
I like your digits, but that doesn't mean I'm doing your setting homework for you.
>>
>>82318384
>>82318368
I'm doing a horror setting, so it's irrevant to me. I'm just tired of unimaginative fags copying LotR.
>>
>>82318333
>they have to be totally original.
Divest yourself of this idea, because there's no such thing. Take bits from other creatures that you think will fit together and "kitbash" your fantasy races.
Maybe your dwarves are literally made of stone. Maybe your halflings are mole people. Maybe your elves are a hive mind. These are some fucking basic bitch examples, but you get the idea.
>>
>>82318403
I'm tired of unimaginative fags making worthless threads, but here we are.
>>
>>82318333
>The Original Poster race
Monogendered race of twinky femboys. Reproduce by getting boipregnant with one another or men of rather races. They only really exist because they outreproduce everything else, have no special abilities and are weaker and smaller than average
>The Pepe race
Race of fat, but tall and extremely strong frog men who are tasked with guarding dank meme repositories in various lakes and ponds around the world. Few can match a Pepe in combat, but only very rarely do they ever leave their homes
>The Big Guy For You Race
A race whose culture dictates they always wear a face mask and put on a Bane voice. Large, strong, and excellent at crashing planes with no survivors. Excels in hand to hand combat and can see in the dark, but reproduces slowly. Slightly shorter than Pepe race.
>The Dickens Race
Everybody in this race is based off a Charles Dickens' character.

there you go
>>
>>82318468
This, but unironically
>>
>>82318448
Feel free to kitbash. Just do something other than elves, dwarves, and orcs. That's what I mean. No need to go all "everything is a remix' on me, I'm aware. Just asking for someone to show me they can do something else than this stupid gay fucking fantasy trope.
>>
>>82318448
This is 100% true. Allow me to steelman this by adding an example: if we assume the Epic of Gilgamesh was the first story ever told, it still took many of its concepts from real life experiences, if not embellishing them to generate a sense of wonder. I'd imagine billions of other such stories passed through oral tradition that we haven't heard about followed suit with this.
>>
>>82318452
Should I have put a naked femgoblin on the OP just for you?
>>
>>82318333
San'Yahid and the ChoZun Wun.
The former are an all female race and the latter all male, they're actually the same species but split into different continents with the San'Yahid living in the Africa analogy and the ChoZun in not!steppes of Eurasia.
The reason this happened is because they're actually malevolent primordial spirits trapped in mortal bodies and no one really knows how that happened except me because I created them. The humans bound them to physical form because these daemon shits kept fucking their shit up so they used magic and rituals to force them to take human form just as the two sexes we're separated.
As a result from intermarriage the San'Yahid are black, and follow a caste system where the more black you are the more pure of blood you are so you are of higher standing than a light skinned or worse a disgustingly pale olive colored woman.
What they share in common is they're very aggressive, but while the women have an empire with tributaries the men live in small family groups in the steppe with a father as the leader, his wife as his council, and their sons as warriors. If he has more than one wife he's either a noble of stupidly wealthy.
That's another thing, both of these people have fucked birth rates of 90% a baby of their species of their same sex or a human baby of either(the San'Yahid sacrifice their baby human girls and the ChoZun use their boy humans as slave labor.
And they do only reproduce with humans, because of that spell that forced into them physical form.
They also don't like each other and the few occasions the two people come across each other they quickly devolve into battle with no quarter on the mind. Which is sad, if they came back together they'd totally be free of their mortal shells and reascend. Not like they know this backstory.
>>
>>82318514
Ok I get ChoZun Wun is Chosen One, but what is San'Yahid supposed to be?
>>
>>82318403
Assuming I believe you, which I don't, how the fuck is this supposed to help?
For one thing people using elves and dwarves doesn't affect you at all, so why the fuck do you care?
For another, /tg/ making up a bunch of novelties isn't going to stop anyone using elves and dwarves.
>>
>>82318480
Idk wouldn't you run out of Charles Dickens' characters after a certain point?
>>
>>82318529
It's their language for people of the lake.
They have an oral history of a particular lake being their Homeland which for a few centuries was taken by a former Queen's harem but they retook it a few years back.
>>
>>82318547
If you do then you are not dicking hard enough.
>>
>>82318494
Just because it’s slightly higher quality than a coomer thread doesn’t make your thread good. Your thread is low effort, you wrote two sentences and called it good. Start with an example if it’s so easy.
>>
>>82318532
Because it makes for a fun and entertaining thread?
>>
>>82318368
This, I have other shit to do than make a whole donut steel race.
>>
>>82318572
I made some shitty bird people with a Babylon aesthetic/vibe a long time ago. I generally don't do fantasy races for my stories anymore, because they honestly don't need them, and more often than not, they harm a setting by being shoehorned in (and illogical). I was just thinking of Zelda and wondering if the hivemind could do better.
>>
File: FTL races collage.jpg (98 KB, 992x720)
98 KB
98 KB JPG
I have found a full proof solution to create good, meaningful, and fun fantasy races for your homebrew and OC settings.

First, look at the setting from the top down and see what elements are most important. Is the setting magitech powered by magic crystals, and animist setting with the four elements, the powers of law/chaos or good/evil? What is the core "thing" or mechanics going on in the setting?

Then you make one race for each of these major things or approaches to "the thing". Like if the setting is based on weird magic crystals that power all the magitech but are slowly running out, then there should be a race that only uses the crystals or is part of the crystals (dwarf/goron/golems), and then another race that is always against or doesn't use the crystals (nature race= elves maybe?) with humans as an intermediary or middle of the road. Now you just made a setting with three races, with lots of potential cultures sprawling from them and they don't feel tacked on because each is a part of the setting at its core. You can start building things off of this; like elves prefer wood buildings and tools, while the golem-crystal people like stone and crystals (obviously). You can imagine the differences in architecture, magic, and religions from this too. ez pz.
>>
>>82318602
Zelda races are actually pretty original as far fantasy goes. I haven’t really seen anything else in fantasy that resembles the Gorons.
>>
>>82318642
I mean, they're just Dwarves but monsters. The Deku are imo their most original.
>>
>>82318582
I immediately thought you were attacking fans of fantasy. Until I decided to read through the thread.

So ... no. This is not a fun thread, it sounds more like and accusation or limp literal attack.

Try actually putting effort in to your next theme. Do something actually fun.
>>
>>82318333
I don't have names for them:

A race of humanoids that live on the setting's moon. Where their eyes should be are "horn" like projections that can open and close and have eye like spots inside of it. They use them to help them see the soul of the world so everything is just an outline of the magic energy of things. Aside from that they have long limbs, fur around their limbs and on their torso and have six digits on their hands and feet
>>
>>82318333
Spongemen:

A race of humanoid spunges. They are filter feeders and although normally aquatic, can survive on land so long as they keep their flesh wet. They require double the normal amount of water but don't need to eat so long as the environment they primarily reside in has sufficient dust, dirt, grime, or other small particulates that they can absorb. They are of average intelligence but rarely well learned. They can form tribal communities and communicate at the level of most lesser races, albeit in a gurgling squishing dialect.

Their sponge like bodies give them increased dexterity and reduced constitution.
>>
File: 1442642461102.jpg (118 KB, 900x1078)
118 KB
118 KB JPG
Assuming this is you canvassing for inspiration:

Start by eliminating Humans entirely. Then, pick 4 traits that are cool, and have some mutual exclusivity. Then 4 inconvenient idiosyncrasies, things that take actual creative talent to come up with. With that, you can freestyle the finer details with actual work. I'll start you off for free

> The X-lings [working title]
> Fire-breathing but they can't turn it off
>Soft-spoken around other races to compensate
>Like wide open spaces because convenient
>All their warriors are bards, because all their attacks are shouts and songs
> Lies and deception are "False-Flames" and come out sputtering and feeble
>Culture is Noble and Honest, to a fault

There's a start
>>
>>82318656
Sort of but more like rock eating ainu people too.
>>
>>82318772
They also don’t really have the typical crankiness that people associate with dwarves. A lot of them are jolly.
>>
>>82318403
They're copying D&D, not LotR. Even Peter Jackson put a D&D Dwarf in his movies instead of Gimli.
>>
File: Wendigo.jpg (264 KB, 1000x1325)
264 KB
264 KB JPG
>>82318333
Kukuri
A race of giant canids, usually black furred, tho occasional albinos exist. They posses a slightly hunched over posture and are very tall, on average being about 2.4m tall. The Kukuri are capable of living well into their 80's and 90's before succumbing to old age while reaching sexual maturity at somewhere around 15ish years. The Kukuri females give birth to litters of between 1 to 4 Kukuri pups. They also posses a exposed skull and great horns.
They are carnivorous scavengers and as such are incapable of forming real sedentary societies and thus mainly live as either hunter gatherers or a great roving bands of nomadic herders.
The rare exceptions and examples of their sedentary societies are around the great lakes and rivers, where the Kukuri develop rafts and ships, sustaining themselves from fishing in addition to herding. Another example of Kukuri sedentary life are their craftsmen that establish themselves in stone huts where they live as traders and craftsmen, developing a writing system and offering medicine and tools that are impractical to create while being a nomad.
The Kukuri nomads are, as all apex predators and scavangers, conflict averse, knowing that any wound could be the end of them and as such, primarily function as careful hunters that sprint their enemies down and javelin/atlatl them down, leaving the prey to exhaust itself and bleed out if it manages to escape them. The Kukuri's careful nature lends them to prefer to trade their livestock and herds for goods that only the settled races have and they lack.
The Kukuri army consists of their tribesmen, usually unarmoured except for a shield and potentially clothes and armed with long spears and atlatls/javelin throwers, which allow the Kukuri to lob javelins to distances only really matched by great longbows, while the Kukuri nobility and merchants form the heavily armoured core that charges the enemy army after it is sufficiently weakened.
>>
File: Dog in the Doorway.jpg (170 KB, 612x1061)
170 KB
170 KB JPG
>>82318333
Big sapient dogs. That's my fantasy race.
>>
>>82318494
That wouldn't change the content of the thread, retard. Try coming up with a better topic.
>>
>>82318656
>just Dwarves but monsters
Gorons are only associated with mining by circumstance, it was established in OoT that they use bomb flowers to blow up rocks to eat. Also notable, they live explicitly in a volcano and not just any mountain.
They have a different culture entirely, a different typical personality entirely, and a distinct visual style entirely. I wouldn't consider them dwarves but monsters any more than I would consider dwarves elves but short and angry.
>>
File: 1471996748310.jpg (1.96 MB, 1000x1045)
1.96 MB
1.96 MB JPG
Literally just make proxies for:

>Middle-of-the-Road
>Magic Focus
>Strength Focus
>Skills Focus
>More-Monster-Than-Man
>>
>>82318333
Alligator wrestler
A tribe of *inset Alabama race here* who are the greatest of grapplers.
They gain the power of the strongest thing they have wrestled (and won) against.
>>
Balloon-people
Strong with magic, cursed to only have 1 hp
>>
File: freakshitrace.jpg (86 KB, 618x449)
86 KB
86 KB JPG
>>82318333
Freakshit Race. A race corrupted by the god of chaos that from time to time transforms into an animal/humanoid hybrid but always keeping the animal head and all the body is a hybrid. They keep thier form for 4 years but then they pass for a transformation. Sometimes they can end up transforming again in the same animal/humanoid hybrid but its kinda rare to happen. Sometimes their transformation removes their ability to talk, this causes a huge missunderstanding and common people will sometimes missidentify them as a tottally diferent race of monsters. Some myths about ancient races of monster like beings may be traced off as just encounters with extremely rare to happen civilizations of those creatures. When they copy a human or another humanoid species they will fail to mimic their faces and endup as ugly retards like image.
>>
>>82318333
What are the key elements that an interesting original fantasy race NEEDS to have and why? What do you need to avoid at all costs?
>>
File: lanternfolk.png (799 KB, 538x770)
799 KB
799 KB PNG
In a faraway land, more far-flung in credibility than in kilometers, there was a secluded forest.
And in that forest, in the cozy, smoky shade, dwelt a peculiar people known as the Lanternfolk.
They were a gladsome bunch and rather jaunty too, as one might expect. But times were changing...
>>
>>82318514
Oh look a cuck coomer
>>
>>82320619
Sounds very generic and uninspired.

How about extrapolate from our own history and go backwards.
>What if dinosaurs hadn't gone extinct but continued to develop, but humans also came up and we coexisted?
(I mean dinos alone gives you plenty for a dino only fantasy races batch if you follow that line of thought)
>What if homo sapiens didn't wipe out the other homo races?
>What if aquatic creatures developed intelligence equal to that of a human, and evolved to the point where we found a rival there

Your version is way too gamey and boring.
>>
>>82318333
The Nimbus
> Cloud Nobility race that like humans
> Fluffy, floaty, and weak, they suck at fighting
> They integrate themselves into human societies to elevate them up with wealth and power, while reaping that prosperity themselves like a symbiotic relationship
> Can breed with humans and their population s frequently mix, but Nimbus are usually in positions of leadership while humans do the war and dirty work
> At best they're benevolent kings, wise nobles, and just rulers. At worst they're greedy, spoiled, fat and lazy.
> They live in cloudy cities, either suspended by magic in the clouds, riding on giant flying creatures, or simply on mountaintops (apply at your leisure necessary)
In case you didn't get the joke, they're the literal upper class
>>
>>82321077
Ouch. How have they not gone extinct already then?
>>
>>82325771
>too gamey and boring
>posted on /tg/
If you want help on simply WRITING a setting, then go to /lit/.
>>
>>82318333
Okay, but only because you got trips anon
>Bug people, beetle like
>Face shaped almost like a gas mask
>Most wear cloaks with hoods as to not spook the locals
>Most adhere to a nomadic mercenary lifestyle
>Never demand legal tender as payment, just food and weapons
>May or not have a religion focused around killing, which is why they merc
>>
>>82318403
>stealing from lotr
What party hasn’t at least seen the movies?

I steal from the silmarilleon, thank you.
>>
>>82319795
Also there's Biggoron, who's 30' tall but no one thinks it's weird. The best fantasy creatures exist a little outside of any comprehensible ecology, player species should be no different.
>>
File: Alien Concept copy.png (363 KB, 1000x1086)
363 KB
363 KB PNG
>>82318333
Just make notfurries lmao
Pic rel is a draw I did, mixed sharks, cobras and giraffes (for the long neck). Just mix animals up son, it's a jolly good time. Oh and if you steal my donut steel I'll find out where you live and kill you, but not really since it's just a throwaway race of mine really
>>
>>82331490
Bug people are underrated. I agree. This was kino.

Like, how about a race of bipedal insectoids with ant-like abilities and social structures.
>>
>>82318403
Copy bloodborne. Random shit with no associations to tropes we have seen or to real life wont engage people.
>>
File: WIN_20211101_18_52_57_Pro.jpg (182 KB, 1920x1080)
182 KB
182 KB JPG
>>82331787
Yeah, like he said. I'm slowly building up a set of six of them now. Here is my first one, I can show more of the finished ones you guy guys like. Unfortunately, I am not good at coming up with fitting names for any of them.
>>
>>82320619
Why are they all facing away from us? They look pretty interesting.
>>
>>82318333
>totally original
there's no such thing as a totally original creation that isn't base on anything
>>
File: shardmind.jpg (254 KB, 868x1228)
254 KB
254 KB JPG
>>82318333
>>
>>82318547
Either there are repeats (doppelgängers of a sort), or they maintain a constant population level, with one Dickensian dying whenever one is born that would exceed the population limit.

Also I wanna snag an OP cutie to have some fun with.
>>
>>82318333
What do you think of a race like picture related?
>>
>>82318333
What do you need to consider about how their differing morphologies and physiologies affect their architecture and the rest of their culture? How have you kept this in mind with your own races?
>>
>>82333673
They've got shit to do, obviously.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (29 KB, 479x529)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
Cocku!
>>
>>82318333
Fuck the haters, I'm always down for a nice brainstorm.
Lemme dredge something off the top of my head

>Ehmchan
>Originally from another plane of existence, one more regimented and merciless, their kind migrated to the material plane many generations ago
>Look like a cross between emaciated lizardfolk and ants, with thin, scale-covered bodies that have further chitinous outgrowths in placed depending on their particular clade
>A eusocial species, almost hivelike, they are comprised of numerous different phenotypes tasked with particular roles within the culture. Originally, these were practically non-sentient, but time on the material plane has relieved them of the pressures of their previously lawful plane, making each subsequent generation more independent... and chaotic
>To address this, a specific clade of overseers, more intelligent than most, have been branched off in order to go into the world, experiencing other species civilizations with the intent of bringing their knowledge, social structures, and technology, so the Ehmchan can better adapt to their new home
>Those belonging to this new Traveller clade are still a bit less intelligent than your average human, but they are quite sturdy, and adapt quickly to new social circumstances
>Due to their objective of learning as much as they can, many Ehmchan Travellers will attempt to immediately blend into whatever population they arrive at, emulating the dress, language, and other social particulars of their new location... though given their unimaginative nature, they may not always understand the context of the cultural norms they're mimicking.
>>
File: Ancient Crystals.jpg (3.73 MB, 2000x4000)
3.73 MB
3.73 MB JPG
>>82318333
I like mining for setting and racial ideas in strange places, it leads to fun mixes.
>>
>>82318333
have a post biopunk homebrew
No im not sharing op, you are gay
>>
>>82338595
Sounds interesting. What are some things that you’ve come up with?
>>
i wish my visual imagination was better. im trying to create a judaism inspired fantasy race but all im ending up with are windup jawas in white and blue with mouse noses

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.